The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9 - New team, old problems!

3 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9  - New team, old problems! - Page 4 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9 - New team, old problems!

Post  Admin Thu Jun 18 2020, 10:33

The MP looked at Frostbite then frowned. "Nonsense! That was ... 1939! Nearly eighty years ago!"

She glanced back at the ADVENT glowing 'woman' and said "Thank you! THANK YOU! You have helped us where these... 'heroes' failed!"

She scowled at Frostbite and hurried out.

The glowing 'woman' looked at Frostbite, impassive, then as he started to leave she added "You should join us. The technology you possess is... unusual... and impressive. ADVENT could be a great friend to you."

Knowing the explosions weer a short time in coming Frostbite left and made sure the hostages were off the level, floating through the corridors and eventually coming across Atomica, Melody and Sly Vixen.

"What has happened, Frostbite?" asked Atomica. "We disabled the terrorists but they exploded moments later! I managed to block some and absorb the energy and your new friend Melody acquitted herself well. There may yet be..."

FWUMP! FWUMP!FWUMP! FWUMP!FWUMP! FWUMP!FWUMP! FWUMP!

A series of muffled explosions signalled the death and complete destruction of the Terrorists and their armoured suits - in other words any proof they belonged to ADVENT.

Frostbite got the sudden feeling that ADVENT would prove to be a serious problem and knew this was just the opening salvo in a long war to come.

They'd changed the hearts and minds of the victims who would then go on through social media and tv interviews to extol ADVENTs virtues whilst they played down or criticised the authorities/superheroes handling of the situation.

Frostbite had the clear and distinct feeling he'd been played, and it didn't sit well with him. Dawson and Justin St Johns would get the email Frostbot sent and would no doubt have something to say, but for now...

In the glare of the cameras and smartphones outside he heard Frostbot say 'There are too many to affect. Your best move is to leave the scene I would have thought, though the police will want a statement of what happened in there.'

DCI McSporran marched up "Good job, but what the hell happened in there? We saw that jet thing swoop in, I held my men back... flying creatures came out... explosions! Dammit! I'M the law here! You're just some fancy dan in blue pajamas who flashes some ID and thinks they can save the day?"

The policeman was angry, but Frostbite knew not at him. He'd been reduced to the role of spectator and it didn't sit well. Plus it seemed ADVENT had been invited by someone into Scottish airspace to act and 'save the day'.

He saw Melody stood aside. Atomica and Sly Vixen were talking to her, doubtless explaining the benefits and virtues of joining the UKChampions. He'd have to salvage something from this situation and hoped Melody would take his offer to join the Vanguard otherwise he'd be a powerful member down.

There was a roar of engines and he saw the floating ADVENT air carrier spin and start to roar off...

OOC Do NOT think of this as failure! This is the opening chapter and the book has a few more twists and turns yet!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9  - New team, old problems! - Page 4 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9 - New team, old problems!

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jun 18 2020, 12:58

Admin wrote:OOC Do NOT think of this as failure! This is the opening chapter and the book has a few more twists and turns yet!

OOC: I don't but thank you for the reassurance all the same. I can appreciate that for something to be dramatic and worthwhile there has to be a cost involved or else why bother. Pride isn't high on my list of reasons to be offended, but knowing I've been played and well played - Advent where moves ahead of me whichever way we came at this, doesn't sit well and shouldn't sit well with anyone who wishes to be rid of the Advent menace.

Frostbite spoke to the Inspector, he gave a full account of himself and all that took place and then drew the others in to fill in their stories. He knew that Atomica wouldn't like it, but suggested that it was a necessary evil to help smooth things.

Following the opportunity to speak to the police, Frostbite asked the others if he would join them off away from the Cameras.

OOC:Assuming the aquiace...

Frostbite sat on the edge of the roof, overlooking the square below and the crowds still milling around and the building where today many unnecessary lives were lost, though many were saved.

"Thank you for letting me play a part in today's little run-in, I think it's safe to say that the UK Champions need to know that Advent is aggressively stepping up their programme to win Britain over by a charm offensive and we ought to be ready for more 'random acts of kindness'! I don't know what they need from us, why a docile population that don't take by force, when bad guys act nice, it makes my skin itch. What is their endgame?"

Turning to Melody Frostbite said, "I'm grateful for the way you handled yourself out there today, though I would prefer to have had a better way to introduce myself and my offer to you. Now I'm a bit on the back foot, but that is why I am here. The UKChampions are a fine outfit, decent people who care and do a lot of good. But and it's a sad fact of our times, the Government also needs to show its not on the back foot. Advent stepping up, only means we need GMen, and Women, who have the confidence of this country's elected representatives at a time like this more than ever. If Advent wants to steal our thunder, fighting outside of government is only going to make it easier for them to divide and conquer. So I am setting up a new Vanguard, working with me and SMITE and our Government liaison Justin St John's. Melody I'd like to ask if you'd want a place on the team. No need to make a decision now, unless you're ready, but if you give me a contact I have my team forward details to you to consider and you can also get in touch with me if you want to know anymore."

With a nod to the others, Frostbite called in Catherine and transport and flew up to meet her, before heading home.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 18 2020, 13:29

Steeple_jackuk wrote:
Frostbite spoke to the Inspector, he gave a full account of himself and all that took place and then drew the others in to fill in their stories.  He knew that Atomica wouldn't like it, but suggested that it was a necessary evil to help smooth things.

McSporran sighed. "Ach don't mind me lad. It feels like there's a bigger game being played here and we're sat on the sidelines. I've sent the lads in and they confirm no hostages dead just piles of ash and a real mess in the main meeting room where that half dozen or so black smears on the floor are gathered. Windows want replacing and a few will need counselling but they'll all be rushing off to get on talk shows."

Running his hand through thinning hair he looked about. "It's a circus. Best go do my ring leader bit. A guy called Dawson has been in touch. Any more details I'll get from him but he's already told me you're part of a hush hush project and not to dig deep. For what it's worth, thankyou." he said offering a hand.

Following the opportunity to speak to the police, Frostbite asked the others if he would join them off away from the Cameras.

The group gathered to speak with Frostbite away from cameras. Sly Vixen shunned the limelight and Atomica's natural haughtiness would make her ignore calls for a comment or picture. Melody shyly stayed away from the cameras, shielding her masked face as best she could for fear of being recognised.

Frostbite sat on the edge of the roof, overlooking the square below and the crowds still milling around and the building where today many unnecessary lives were lost, though many were saved.

"Thank you for letting me play a part in today's little run-in, I think it's safe to say that the UK Champions need to know that Advent is aggressively stepping up their programme to win Britain over by a charm offensive and we ought to be ready for more 'random acts of kindness'!  I don't know what they need from us, why a docile population that don't take by force, when bad guys act nice, it makes my skin itch.  What is their endgame?"

Atomica frowned. "It does NOT sit well they have played with us for their own ends! If as you say this was indirectly their doing, we should expose them! Expose the danger that..."

"We have no proof Atomica. ADVENT saw to that." said Sly Vixen.

Atomica flared at being interrupted then sucked in a deep breath before continuing. "I shall make sure the UKChampions know of this and we shall endeavour to oppose them at every turn!"

Turning to Melody Frostbite said, "I'm grateful for the way you handled yourself out there today, though I would prefer to have had a better way to introduce myself and my offer to you.  Now I'm a bit on the back foot, but that is why I am here.  The UKChampions are a fine outfit, decent people who care and do a lot of good.  But and it's a sad fact of our times, the Government also needs to show its not on the back foot.  Advent stepping up, only means we need GMen, and Women, who have the confidence of this country's elected representatives at a time like this more than ever.  If Advent wants to steal our thunder, fighting outside of government is only going to make it easier for them to divide and conquer.  So I am setting up a new Vanguard, working with me and SMITE and our Government liaison Justin St John's.  Melody I'd like to ask if you'd want a place on the team.  No need to make a decision now, unless you're ready, but if you give me a contact I have my team forward details to you to consider and you can also get in touch with me if you want to know anymore."

Atomica nodded. "I have worked with Frostbite on a previous occasion. He is an excellent leader and combatant and I can offer no argument save that we are longer established, more numerous and with considerable financial backing that will make it possible for you to be a heroine 24/7. Out of respect for Frostbite we will not seek to undermine his offer or suggest you would be better served by joining the UKChampions training program."

"Training program?" asked Melody in that strangely musical voice.

"Of course. You will be inducted after a series of instruction and training courses and only inducted or utilised when you - and we - feel you are ready. Some of our trainees have been in the program for several years and will make fine heroes and heroines when, if, they graduate." explained Atomica about the great honour she was offering.

Sly Vixen smiled tightly and offered "Frostbite may have more of an 'in the deep end' approach and to be honest if I'd had to go through what Atomica described I would have stayed a loner."

"Some are not ready for the responsibility and have poor control of their powers!" argued Atomica, bristling. "The UKChampions are the premier super group in this country and long established. We are the most powerful and most diverse, best recognised and most loved super group outside of America." she said with narrowed eyes at Sly Vixen.

"Maybe so, but sometimes we feel like a hammer being applied to crack an eggshell. Go your own way Melody. If you want to try us out I'll try my best to get you through the training. If you go with Frostbite or your own way I'll be glad to work with you again. You have a friend in me." said Sly Vixen.

Atomica sucked in a breath then sighed. "And I echo Vixens comments. Sometimes... I agree that we are mired in red tape and hampered by our own rules and regulations. Maybe.. sometimes... less is better." She turned to Frostbite. "Though we did not directly fight side by side I shall not soon forget the vital role you played against Eurotrash and the impressive way you bonded with that foolish youngster, Flea. He I feel has a very impressive power set but lacks the training, maturity and sense of responsibility that such power demands. he is a danger to himself and to others so I would say to you - be wary. Steer the boy right and he will be impressive and successful. Without a firm hand...." She offered a hand to shake and turned to Vixen. "I trust you will make your own way...?"

Vixen nodded, shook Frostbites hand, nodded to Melody and left, vanishing from sight as soon as she touched shadows... Atomica gave a way and took to the skies.

Melody pondered then turned to Frostbite. "I ... like the idea of being a member of a smaller group and having a say rather than just a number and being told where to go and who to punch. If you can give me some time I'll meet up with
you to discuss it again... name the time and place and we'll go from there?"

With a nod to the others, Frostbite called in Catherine and transport and flew up to meet her, before heading home.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jun 18 2020, 17:13

OOC: Cool I will supply a contact for Melody and proceed to Jail, Go and collect £200 pounds ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 18 2020, 19:39

Catherine glanced over her shoulder as Joe clambered into the cockpit beside her. She saw the look on his face and asked what happened, then frowned.

They headed up, and south. Melody could be a good bet but Frostbite hadn't really seen her in action so she still might be raw, untested and hard to work with, he just didn't know. ADVENT rearing their head had been an issue and he knew Dawson would contact him later.

"Penny for your thoughts?" asked Catherine as they gained height over Newcastle and reached supersonic speeds to get to just north of London in only a few minutes.

Just then a flashing light on the dashboard got her attention and she flicked a switch. "Vanguard flyer to base what's up?"

Over the comms headset Frostbite heard Wandafars' voice. "I sink our friend Lionheart may be in ze poop. He bit off quite a bit und I know he hez a big mouth but he's messing vid some really nasty types and he is my friend so I don't vish to see him hurt. Also ... ahhh. You may not like zis bit. Ze Kid turned up viz some begs und tried on ze new costume. It's just cloth and all zet but he seemed to like it. Ve got to talking und an alarm vent off. Zere is a problem in ze North sea at an oil rig. Like BIG problem, emergency. Super emergency. You two are... oh crep you are half vay home. Anyvay, ze boy said he'd 'check it out' und left."

"What do you mean, left? He can't fly!" said Catherine.

"Hef you studied ze preliminary reports of zis kid?" replied Wandafar. "Strength near ze top of ze charts ven he pushes himself. Reflexes like Lionhearts, he can jump..."

"Yes? A few hundred feet? A bit more?" replied Catherine.

"Ja a bit more. Ze Cormorant Oilfield is about 700 odd miles avay as ze crow flies."

"Well what's the problem? Tell him to wait. We can pick him up and turn about if Frostbite wants to..."

"He fished about in ze garage for some scuba stuff and..."

"Hey! That was MY stuff! When I see that kid I'll..."

"He jumped."

Silence for a moment.

"Yes, jumped. To where?"

"Ze Shetland islands. He jumped."

"What, you mean he set off jumping?"

"No, ze tracker on his phone said he jumped... from ze mansion to ze shetland islands using GPS on ze phone und vun leap."

"What? Vun leap? You mean one leap? When is he landing?"

"He landed. In vun leap."

"What? That's insane. To get there in one leap he'd have to be travelling..."

"Ja, about 2,000,000 mph. He shattered a few vindows for a fraction of a second. I'm setting Jeeves to sorting zem out. impressive seeing zey are bullet proof gless. It's my fault. I told him to push his limits to find zem und he voz scared because vunce he landed in ze sea und hed to swim for hours. So I gave him a fancy phone vis my GPS update und he took a guess. A pretty good vun according to ze tracker. He's on ze Shetland islands right now. In fact I suppose ze Flyer might have tagged an object at beyond escape velocity but he voz too fest for tracking."

Catherine sagged into the chair and muted her feed. "I don't believe it! Who's worse? Wandafar or the boy?" she shook her head. "I blame you." she said at Frostbite. "He mentioned that he wanted to be a hero just like you and that he'd tried to overcome his hate for the Chicago Champions in order to be a better hero. Like you. And he wanted to do more with his powers than punch bad guys in the head. Throw some Frostbite hero worship into a pot with a dash of Flea and a sprinkle of Wandafar and..." she sighed. "Turn around?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jun 18 2020, 20:11

Admin wrote:Catherine sagged into the chair and muted her feed. "I don't believe it! Who's worse? Wandafar or the boy?" she shook her head. "I blame you." she said at Frostbite. "He mentioned that he wanted to be a hero just like you and that he'd tried to overcome his hate for the Chicago Champions in order to be a better hero. Like you. And he wanted to do more with his powers than punch bad guys in the head. Throw some Frostbite hero worship into a pot with a dash of Flea and a sprinkle of Wandafar and..." she sighed. "Turn around?"

Frostbite pulled his head out of his hand, he was concerned if Wandafar was concerned about Lionheart. But he was a tough one who'd come through much before, besides whom could he call? He wasn't even sure where he was. But moments later he was on the coms even as he gave the signal for Catherine to turn the ship around and head North.

"Wandafar you give whatever assistance you can to Lionheart, and if you can tell Atomica and Sly Fox and a new lass Melody we're in the area if they are still here tell 'em they might not be done yet. If this is bad I wouldn't mind any assistance if those guys are done resting. Now the real work begins."

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 18 2020, 21:29

Sending a code to Dawson that he would act on and ensure that the RAF (or anyone else) would not interfere with the Vanguard Flyer Catherine soared up and about and hit the afterburners!

"I had no idea... the boy is always joking about and seems so... innocent, naive. His power levels must be..." she turned to Frostbite. "He's just a kid. Go easy on him. You're his hero so it's up to you to make or break him! He doesn't know his own limits and figured he'd help but..." she sighed. "Keep him on the straight and narrow but don't drive him away. I've seen that done when I was a bit younger and still had my powers. A kid was eager and got his ass chewed out every time he tried to do 'the right thing'. Eventually he had enough and we ALL found out how powerful he really was! Just... you know what you're doing." she sighed.

The North Sea flashed past underneath the stealth craft and the minutes tick by.

Another light flashed on the dash.

"Ja tis me." said Wandafar again. "Sorry for before to getting ze kid to test himself. Maybe better over time. Any vay Atomica und Sly Vixen go to voice mail und ze hold machine sing und get in ze bloody queue. Melody answered und said she vill fly over if she sinks she can find ze place. It's in ze middle of ze sea after all." he said. Well that was something. Maybe a proper chance to see what she could do!

"Shame we haven't got time to gather any of the others on the list. Reflex would've been up for it I'm betting. Steph should be at the Mansion when we get back." explained Catherine.

"Timmy needs more repairs yet and Wandafar explained he was adding some 'modifications' which sounded worrying." she added.

It took another 15 minutes to get north of the UK mainland and out over the wild of the North sea. Minutes after that some green dots appeared on the long range radar and they followed by the islands themselves.

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9  - New team, old problems! - Page 4 Shetlands

The weather was wild out here and the Vanguard flyer battled against extremely high winds and driving rain along with thunderstorms!

With the Vanguard flying banging and being battered by powerful gusts and alarms started flashing on the cockpit dashboard. "I'm going to have to get her out of this storm!" shouted Catherine as the internal communication system winked off and backup lights came on. "Some of the stealth panels are very delicate and have been torn off exposing the innards. This isn't a battle craft and is quite delicate!" she yelled over the roar of the tortured engines and roaring winds. "You go, I'll turn round and head for the mainland." She cancelled several alarms. "Good luck, I'll get the comms up and running if I can but i suspect its a Wandafar job to fix her."

Dispersed, Frostbite flew down through the battered flyer and swooped towards the south Shetland islands undisturbed by the high winds and rain which passed through him.

He saw the ground from the sky and it looked quiet. The Oil Rigs would be some way out from the northernmost islands...

OOC Looking for anything in particular in the foul weather? Any precautions?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jun 19 2020, 19:45

min"He saw the ground from the sky and it looked quiet. The Oil Rigs would be some way out from the northernmost islands...

[color=#0033cc]OOC Looking for anything in particular in the foul weather? Any precautions?
[/quote]

OOC: Any chance I can track the kid with his GPS? If I can I'll swing by and pick him up, if not I'll head straight to the Rig, Frostbot can get the GPS from Wandafar and ping off the coms I've got with me etc.

The wind and rain didn't stop the speeding sleek blue bright form of Frostbite as he sped through the atmosphere flying at speed as easily as if the sky was clear and blue. His crystal hard form unperturbed by the storm that seemed to lash about him in futile fury as he poured on the speed, first over the Shetland isles, incredulous that the kid had taken off as he had, but slightly proud of the incredible jump he was able to pull off. Frostbite was cold and hard on the outside, but he had a sudden burst of heat within, what was this...it took a moment to realise he was proud. But he hoped his pride wasn't misplaced the kid was powerful but also his wild ride to get here was reckless, not even taking the opportunity to check-in and work as a team. Frostbite knew he was anxious to please, but that anxiety was misplaced, he'd already won a place on the team, he didn't need to somehow bolster that to anyone save perhaps himself? Frostbite would have to go easy on him, he didn't want to damn him with faint praise but neither give him a boast that meant he would think such reckless choices somehow garnered Frostbite's approval.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jun 19 2020, 21:30

Frostbot said 'Good idea I shall interface with your smartphones and the comms device you wear, though direct connection via satellite will be difficult.'

'Contact' added Frostbot. An overlay hovered over Frostbites eyesight showing range - about 60 miles North North East at ground level.

OOC Surprised me just how big the Shetland Islands are, tip to tip.

Even at maximum speed it would take him 4 minutes to speed through the sky. He set off, unperturbed by the high winds and driving rain.

==========

The weather had been foul fifty miles ago but by now it was positively dangerous!

Still unperturbed Frostbite soared down and saw what he was looking for. On the beach, drenched and tugging on a rope the youngster was ... Frostbite looked out... pulling a tugboat into the shore?

Without turning round Flea/Battlebug called out "Ah hey! Boss! Man am I glad to see you!" The boy was thoroughly drenched, his new costume torn in places and sooted. "An oil rig out there... on fire... I can't be sure but ... hold on." He gritted teeth and yanked hard!

The tugboat scythed through the waves and Frostbite saw there were people clung to the deck!

"I gotta get back out there man!" shouted the boy as the tug hissed up onto the beach. "There's other guys need rescuing and the place will blow soon!" he shouted over the howl of the wind. "Problem is, I don't think it was an accident! I didn't see anyone but... I felt someone ... in the water. And I'm SURE they were blasting at the underside of the rig! I was too busy helping people off the rig and towing the tugboat through the water... man those waves are scarey!"

He slopped up to Frostbite and looked downcast. "Sorry I rushed off. The computers picked up their mayday and you were busy and no one else was around apart from the little guy who talks funny but he's cool. He made me this suit!" he said, grinning (OOC Still to come up with his new look). The suit was stretched from being waterlogged, torn in places, sooted and fit for the bin but the youngster didn't seem to mind.

Battlebug turned out, looking across the bay and out to sea. "Can't see em in this but the Rigs out there. Somewhere. And more than one issued a mayday. This weather's bad but you gotta believe me boss, something is going on!" he shouted over the wind and rain as exhausted oil rig workers stumble off the beached tugboat.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jun 19 2020, 22:32

Admin wrote:Battlebug turned out, looking across the bay and out to sea. "Can't see em in this but the Rigs out there. Somewhere. And more than one issued a mayday. This weather's bad but you gotta believe me boss, something is going on!" he shouted over the wind and rain as exhausted oil rig workers stumble off the beached tugboat.

"You did good, lets see about getting the rest of the men ashore and we can go check out what is taking a decidedly dark turn against the rig..."

Frostbite had an odd suspicion, it had been a long time ago, back in the war when he'd been downed in an aircraft and met...an and worked with an undersea kingdom. Who else might be down in the ocean depth...but then again he had an ever-increasing roster of enemies - who know if this wasn't something related to Advent again.

Taking Battlebug by the arms he effortlessly lifted the youth as he swooped fast over to the rig.

OOC: OK I want to check beneath the waves, but can't that a chance of letting our friend getting in over his head. Also, there are the crew to save and limited time. I will try to super frost the flames where I can, try and control the things and help Battlebug to get the crew to dingy or ships etc.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jun 20 2020, 22:53

"Woooooohooooo!" screamed the youngster. "Jumping is like this but... wow!"

It was hard to hear him over the howl of the wind and the rain.

OOC I'd forgotten about the underwater adventures to a certain degree. With a campaign as long as we've run it's easy to get a sense of deja vu as we've covered so many topics, genres and adventure types I'm often worried that we retread over old ground... and yet like in David's Professor Wynde game we purposefully retread certain stuff to keep it alive. Though it was short lived Caer Alwyn and the Lore Knights game along with the Executive brought us together in 2000 and whenever and keep popping up in our games to keep them alive. That said I need to have a few days of quiet contemplation with a notebook and write down the places, situations and NPCs that the characters have come across. Elesieth is a name from the past - the fantasy Queen who Frostbite helped out back in the Golden Heroes days. I'll have to do some more digging to find the underwater adventures. Probably nigh on a decade ago!

"There!" shouted Battlebug (OOC BB for short) and pointing at a glow in the distance. "Rig on fire!" he screamed over the weathers howl.

Frostbite changed course and BB tapped "Fly lower, like... I dunno, 100'? Can't see much through this anyway!"

On the contrary, Frostbites thermal vision perfectly contrasted the freezing cold north sea and the rapidly cooling heat signatures of people in the water with life jackets that appeared as red dots against the dark blue freezing water at up to 300' distance!

'Counting 17 heat signatures within 100m range'
stated Frostbot as Frostbite swooped in at speed. 'The boy has exhibited remarkable resistance to the elements so far but it may be a superhuman ability with a limit. Hypothermia is still applicable even to superhumans.'

The Oil Rig burned with a ferocity that suggested it would soon explode!

"Get me onto that rig!" shouted the youngster. "I will try and put the fire out!"

Just then Frostbite saw a different heat signature - much darker - dart beneath the waves! Too fast for an animal, it was moving so fast he scarcely had time to register it, then it was out of range!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jun 21 2020, 13:02

Admin wrote:"Get me onto that rig!" shouted the youngster. "I will try and put the fire out!"

Just then Frostbite saw a different heat signature - much darker - dart beneath the waves! Too fast for an animal, it was moving so fast he scarcely had time to register it, then it was out of range!

Frostbite shot down aware of the heats detrimental effects on his system, "Keep in touch, if you get in trouble shout, loudly. I'll see if I can cool things down a bit more to my liking."

And with that Frostbite dropped BB, on the deck before spring up to cover the hottest parts in super cold ice, seeking to both buy time and stop the heat from hurting others let alone himself. All the while he kept an eye on the heat signature's distinct shape whenever it came within sight of his position. He had to wonder what it was, at the speed, it might be animal, then again alien, could this be the work of Advent...he though not as it might be seen as too convenient - but who knew what their motives were.

OOC: OK so super cold blasts to see if we can keep things from blowing up before BB can get men off and to safety.

Yes the adventures back undersea - wow that came like a blast from the past and the elf queen Elesieth to, she was probably the closest that Frostbite came to a love interest! Shame that never worked out, but something seems to be happening with him and Catherine...anyway, to matters at hand.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jun 21 2020, 16:58

Frostbite saw something strange as the youngster dropped onto the deck of the large oil rig. Where a fire burned he would thrust a hand into it... and it would snuff out!

There was so much he didn't know about Flea/Battlebug but the boy certainly seemed to be on top of things, putting fires out whilst Frostbite hovered in the sky and took on the bigger ones. The biggest was the main oil pipe/sink itself which appeared to be ruptured and flaming in many directions. Frostbite flew round and round it firing time and again with ice that started to melt almost instantly but soon began - with the near endless rain - to die down.

Glancing at the dark waves he looked about and saw quite a few oil Rig workers bobbing about in the water. They needed to be rescued before...

BOOM! BANG! BOOM!

Something was attacking the oil rig from underneath it, in the water! He glanced at Flea and saw the youngster holding up a metal tower whilst a helicopter started to spin up its rotor blades... then saw another tower start to fall! It would land on the boy AND the helicopter if left unchecked but whatever was attacking the rig from underneath might sink the whole thing!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jun 21 2020, 20:42

Admin wrote:BOOM! BANG! BOOM!

Something was attacking the oil rig from underneath it, in the water! He glanced at Flea and saw the youngster holding up a metal tower whilst a helicopter started to spin up its rotor blades... then saw another tower start to fall! It would land on the boy AND the helicopter if left unchecked but whatever was attacking the rig from underneath might sink the whole thing!

As dangerous as the whole rig coming down was, he had no choice, swooping down Frostbite warned Battle Bug, "The tower's coming down..."

Before moving into a position to do something about it.

OOC: If I change to my diamond-hard form, can I stop it or would it be better to erect a massive snow doom to deflect it away from them so that I use the momentum to move it away from them as it falls? Whatever seems best I will do.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jun 22 2020, 20:20

OOC Probably the best bet is to use Density Increase 5 to boost strength to 15 (lift max 750 tons) and then use power reserve on Ice production to boost to 15 to form up an ice strut to hold the tower up, so that's what we'll go with.

Battlebug looked over as Frostbite swooped down, turned tangible and strained to hold up the falling tower mindful that the heat was causing the thing to melt in places and start to bend/collapse under its own weight!

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9  - New team, old problems! - Page 4 S3

Suddenly as Frostbite was about to thrust out an arm to blast the ice his power faded... and he gasped in pain! The fire nearby had not only sapped his superhuman abilities but caused him harm!

OOC More than that! Frostbite is a NORMAL man this close to fire and he will die if he hangs about long enough near it!!! All abilities are 2 across the board and all powers are reduced to 2 points along with Charisma and Martial Artist. All other skills are reduced to zero. Worse! Frostbite is DYING! He is on Body 1/2 and in one more minute he will keel over unconscious!

Wait, there's more!

He is SURROUNDED by fire!

These are the new vulnerabilities that we added to boost Frostys powers and he's never encountered them before so you may want to roleplay that accordingly. They do make sense and the power boost was more than worth it - honestly in a one on one scrap Frosty could give most guys a good scrap.

Battlebug turned and saw Frostbite looking pale and human like with a much reduced physique and looking very much a normal person!

"Boss! Hang on! I'm coming!" shouted the youngster. He altered his power...

OOC Adren Surge 21 + Roll(2d12)+0: 6,9,+0 Total:15 (36) vs
Pow Reserve 7 + Roll(2d12)+0: 12,6,+0 Total:18 (25) +5 (to 26) vs RV7=19 RAPs which he throws into Power Reserve (now 26 APs) which goes into Str (now 32APs, enough to lift 100,000,000 tons or enough to toss the Empire State building 150'. Still some way short of being able to lift Mount Everest mind... at 257 TRILLION tons...)

"RaaaaRRRRRRRAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHH!!!" said Battlebug as the body RIPS up the tower of steel and girders, twists and throws it high into the air! It travels so far and so fast, despite weighing over 1000 tons that it breaks the sound barrier and is soon a dot in the sky!

"Uh, that WAS North wasn't it? Hope so!" he says then moves to the Helicopter, grabs a landing gear and shouts "HOLD ON!" before leaping straight up!

The Helicopter spins up its rotors and the boy flicks it up even further and it wobbles before leaning forward and heading into the sky. It would need help and luck to get back to the mainland but the Oil Rig is about to explode and it was better that than a fiery death!

The youngster lands on the oil rig pad and starts running across to Frostbite... until Frostbite sees someone hop onto the Oil Rig pad and level a trident at HIM!

Battlebug sees it somehow without turning round and shouts "NO!" before leaping in the way of the blast!

OOC BB's Dex 8 + M Arts Dice (4) Roll(6d12)+0: 12,5,2,1,9,8,+0 Total:21 (29) vs
OV14 - 4 (block attempt) + Roll(2d12)+0: 5,3,+0 Total:8 (18) +5 (to 13) vs RV14 - 4=3 RAPs success the blast (which could have killed Frostbite) hits the boy instead.

AV14 + 3D Weaponry + Roll(5d12)+0: 6,3,12,7,10,+0 Total:22 (36) vs
OV8 + Range 2 + Roll(2d12)+0: 11,10,+0 Total:21 (31) +3 (to 17) vs RV10=7 Damage and Energy Absorption is BURNED OUT FOR ONE HOUR. Battlebug is on 2/10 Body

THOOM!

The youngster interposes between the blast meant for Frostbite and is caught full on, being flung clean off the edge of the Oil Rig into the crashing waves of the North Sea!

Surrounded by flames, unsure whether his young team mate is alive or dead and surrounded by white hot flames, Frostbite figured he'd been in worse places than right now... but few sprung to mind!

OOC you have a full round of action. When close to flames (within 10') Frosty loses his powers and is a normal guy. once 3m or so away... SPROING! his powers and abilities bounce back to normal!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jun 22 2020, 22:07

Admin wrote:

He is SURROUNDED by fire!

Suddenly the pain and the change it brought over Frostbite was overwhelming.  The intense heat made him suddenly feel trapped, enclosed, and his body...what was happening to his body.  Instead of gaining mass, he was suddenly losing it, first his ice coating then his old physic and he was more like he had nothing left.  He collapsed, he had realised he'd done so until he realised his knee was getting hot from leaning down as he found himself involuntary staggered and unable to rise.  He tried, but somehow his body refused to work, it was not stopping, the change was worsening and fast.  He had to do something to get away from the intense heat, but how?

Admin wrote:
THOOM!

The youngster interposes between the blast meant for Frostbite and is caught full-on, being flung clean off the edge of the Oil Rig into the crashing waves of the North Sea!

OOC you have a full round of action. When close to flames (within 10') Frosty loses his powers and is a normal guy. once 3m or so away... SPROING! his powers and abilities bounce back to normal!

Casting a despairing eye towards where Battle Bug had been flung was what galvanised an already desperate and dying Frostbite.  Somehow, he would have to work out how some other time, he managed to drag himself upright.  He daren't touch anything the rig was mostly metal and if the decking was anything to go by it was all getting far too hot.  But some parts were bearable where here was not.  Knowing the bestriding figure with the trident was behind him, Frostbite thought it wouldn't hurt if he hit him, it would either kill or cure, but getting him away from the flame was what he had to do if he had any chance of survival.  

Inch after inch, or so it seemed he dragged himself from the flames their intense heat, light and sheer energy like hungry fingers grasping, or forked tongues between firey fangs looked hungrily to snap down on him.  But no, focus, focus, he told himself concentrating on moving his feet, remembering to stay upright, co-ordinating himself away from the heat, it felt like he'd fail or fall forward but agonisingly slowly or so it seemed, he inched away from the intense heat that had so nearly finished him.  And might do so again if he could put himself literally out of the fire.

OOC: Ok so focus on movement and trying to get as far from the intense heat and its effects on me as I can.  Then we focus on seeing if there is anything left with which to be a hero.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jun 22 2020, 22:14

Frostbite looked about and saw a gap in the flames which were getting fiercer despite the driving rain!

Thankfully that cooled Frostbite and he staggered past an inferno and to the edge of the platform. The flames were rising so high, so fast and so hot... this whole place was going to explode!

He leapt off the edge of the platform towards the Waves crashing below only a few feet down... and felt surging power race through his veins! Suddenly empowered he'd had a taste of being an ordinary man now he was Frostbite again! The man who'd attacked him was back on the Rig platform but his team mate had been knocked into the water somewhere... Did he go for the bad guy, help his young team mate or try to rescue the men bobbing in the water with life jackets OR head for the helicopter to help it through the storm?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jun 22 2020, 22:33

Admin wrote:Frostbite looked about and saw a gap in the flames which were getting fiercer despite the driving rain!

Thankfully that cooled Frostbite and he staggered past an inferno and to the edge of the platform. The flames were rising so high, so fast and so hot... this whole place was going to explode!

He leapt off the edge of the platform towards the Waves crashing below only a few feet down... and felt surging power race through his veins! Suddenly empowered he'd had a taste of being an ordinary man now he was Frostbite again! The man who'd attacked him was back on the Rig platform but his team mate had been knocked into the water somewhere... Did he go for the bad guy, help his young team mate or try to rescue the men bobbing in the water with life jackets OR head for the helicopter to help it through the storm?

Frostbite knew Battle Bug would be ok for a bit longer, but the storm would stop everything from getting away safely. The rain helped the wind lessen, so rising up he attempted to take control of it so that he could give assistance to the Helicopter attempting to leave, and then aid the men in the sea.

OOC: Phew, that was a close one! OK depending on what our friend tries next, I will seek to calm the wind but leave the rain falling, help the Helicopter if I can without getting singed again and then help the sailors, the trident wielding fella will have to wait his turn. Clearly flames and waves don't worry him so I won't worry about him just yet. Besides fighting on the deck of an exploding hot rig is dangerous for me and the survival of the remaining men anyway.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 23 2020, 20:58

OOC Power Reserve onto Weather Control to boost to 15 APs.

WC15 + Roll(2d12)+0: 6,6,+0 Total:12 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 9,5,+0 Total:26 (41) vs
Ov6 + Roll(2d12)+0: 11,12,+0 Total:23 (29) +5 EV (to 20) vs RV6=14 RAPs. The wind dies down to completely still and will stay that way for about 12 hours... unless someone else tries to override it!

With a wave of his hand Frostbite calms the winds instantly!

He looks out and sees the helicopter - struggling in the wind - suddenly right itself and speed off towards the mainland. The waves are still rolling but no longer violent and Frostbite scans with his thermal vision seeing a cluster of heat forms in the water... what?

Then he realises Battlebug is swimming against the waves rather impossibly, and dragging the oil rig workers along behind as they hang onto a rope he's dragging!

He's struggling though - the waves are ridiculously large and the water freezing. BB can survive for a while in those but the rig workers will last only a minute or two before they succumb to the cold!

Just then Frostbite sees another streak of heat under the waves! Uh oh! The aggressor was back... and headed to where Flea was!

Frostbite shouts a warning and BB/Flea bellows "I know! I have this weird ... sonar thing that pinged but I can't leave these guys!" he yells as he swims for one of the massive struts and strains to reach it...

He was going to be attacked from beneath and possibly impaled by the deadly trident!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jun 23 2020, 21:45

Admin wrote:He was going to be attacked from beneath and possibly impaled by the deadly trident!

Moving quickly Frostbite calls out to Battlebug to follow his lead, then as he moved he starts to freeze a huge chunk of water shaping it like a large life dingy so the men can clamber aboard and be afforded a bit more protection from the elements.

Then turning to the heat signature he decided now was the time to deal with the wanted destruction and the callous disregard for life.

OOC: Not sure if shaping a large floating iceberg is a dice action and if I can fail or succeed but from the limited amount I know I would think its fairly rudimentary. Hope so, so that BB can get aboard with the men to stop them getting hyperthermia and we can make them less of a target for our foe. I think that freezing the water to "trap or coral him" might well be the way to go as well. Assuming that is possible in the time we have.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 24 2020, 20:48

OOC Making an object effectively has no opposing value or interest, so not a dice action. Trapping the guy in the water definitely would be a dice action!

Frostbite stared at the water and lost sight of the heat signature... that one man could do so much damage was crazy!

He spun about as Battlebug helped exhausted men clamber aboard the strange ice raft. Nothing! Had they managed to...

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9  - New team, old problems! - Page 4 Boom-pic

The Oil rig goes up and Frostbite is thrown clear because of the huge blast!

He lands in the water, recovers his senses and soars up again but because of the smoke and fire can't see clearly what happened to Battlebug and the men he'd managed to rescue...

Just then he sees a distant light in the sky flying towards the islands... not that fast, about as fast as Frostbite himself might be able to fly but he recognised Melody from her distinctive costume even though she was a distance away!

Next, looking down in the rolling depths as the oil rig smoke fills the sky... and a sleek muscular form bursts from the water, aiming right at Frostbite!

OOC Initiative Roll(2d12)+0:
6 Frostbite, 10 Mystery warrior

Frostbite 30 + 6 (36)

Mystery Warrior 20 + 10 (30)

Frostbite is up. The guy is launching out of the water as a Shark might do when targeting seals, except the seal in question is Frostbite and he's 100' in the air!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jun 25 2020, 13:08

Admin wrote:Frostbite is up. The guy is launching out of the water as a Shark might do when targeting seals, except the seal in question is Frostbite and he's 100' in the air![/i][/color]

Taking no chances, Frostbite decided that fighting this guy wasn't going to be his top priority as was finding out what he was looking for a fight. As a result, he went into full-on dispersal mood and shouted out to the oncoming figure..."Ho, stop, can we at least talk about you have chosen to unleash this wanton destruction on these men so clearly not your equal?"

Given the man's abilities, Frostbite had to wonder if things in the undersea kingdom had reached some kind of a critical point, and that this was one very powerful individuals attempt to correct things. Only it wasn't going to? Violence would only spiral out till one side won - but what would they have to preside over? This hothead needed to tone it down or he'd be toned down, if not by Frostbite by some bigger 'fish' and there were plenty of those on the planet vying for action.

OOC: If he attacks anyway I'll try and defend, but I'm looking to talk and find out what is going on as opposed to just be beaten on. In addition, I'm trying to buy Battle Bug and the men time to get to safety.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jun 26 2020, 15:13

The undersea warrior burst from the water into the air aiming for Frostbite anyway even as the hero tried to reason with him!

OOC Dispersal up to 15, and so...

Atlantean Av8 + 5D Weaponry + Roll(7d12)+0: 5,5,11,12,6,11,4,+0 Total:22 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0:
5,4,+0 Total:31 (39) vs
OV10 + 2D Acro + Roll(4d12)+0: 10,12,3,12,+0 Total:24 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 8,6,+0 Total:38 (48) Attack Missed!

With ease Frostbite drifts to the side watching the warrior leap past.

Below, Battlebug scooped people up onto the ice raft. It was slammed about and the oil rig workers slid about on its icy surface as the waves threatened to topple it. He looked up at the Atlantean attacking Frostbite and snarled... then he leapt!

OOC Adren Surge 21 + Roll(2d12)+0: 2,8,+0 Total:10 (31) vs
Pow Res 7 + Roll(2d12)+0: 2,4,+0 Total:6 (13) +6 (to 27) vs RV7=20 RAPs. Power Reserve boosted to 27.

Dex boosted to 20 (+12) Str to 21 (+15)

Crit Blow AV20 + 2D M Arts + Roll(4d12)+0: 7,12,1,8,+0 Total:20 (40) vs
OV8 + Crit Blow 4 + Roll(2d12)+0: 9,3,+0 Total:12 (24) +6 (to 27) vs RV 10 (-6 from CB =4)=23 Damage. The Atlantean is DOWN and OUT!

A blur of motion caused Frostbite to start as Battlebug leapt into the air and positively WHACKED the aggressor back into the air before he could hit the water! Frostbite saw the man tumble like a rag doll in the sky before splashing down into the water. Battlebug landed in the water and shouted "Grab him boss! We'll get some answers from him!"

So much for the peaceful approach!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jun 26 2020, 16:43

Admin wrote:A blur of motion caused Frostbite to start as Battlebug leapt into the air and positively WHACKED the aggressor back into the air before he could hit the water! Frostbite saw the man tumble like a rag doll in the sky before splashing down into the water. Battlebug landed in the water and shouted "Grab him boss! We'll get some answers from him!"

So much for the peaceful approach!

Frostbite was not by nature curmudgeonly, but he felt it at that moment. Scooping up the man he divested him of the trident and alighting on the ice raft, he entombed the man at one end of the raft away from the men whilst he and Battle Bug pushed the raft toward the shore away from the burning Oil Rig...and toward some sort of answers, he hoped.

OOC: Ok let's see what we can do when we get ashore. At some point, I'll have to chat with the kid...but that is best done without the eyes of all watching.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jun 26 2020, 23:04

Battlebug sagged onto the raft and looked back at the burning Oil Rig. "One guy did all that. I have a horrible feeling that underwater it would be nigh on impossible to beat this fellow."

"Who... who are you people?" asked a Rig worker.

Frostbite was about to answer as he pushed the raft through the water towards the mainland. It would be slow going and the waves would make it hard but they had saved the majority of the rig workers...

... but not the rig. BAWWWHHHOOOOOMMMMM!!!

Battlebug looked back. He was dressed in tattered rags again and covered in dirt and soot but undaunted by the battle. "That guy hit pretty darn hard. Hope he was the only one!"

Frostbite glanced down... he saw distant streaks of heat below the waves at the very edge of his vision. Dolphins?

Maybe...

The light in the sky that was Melody was now more visible and BBug looked up. "Who's that? Another bad guy? Gal? She looks hot!"

Melody hovers over where Frostbite is pushing the raft through the water. "What... what happened? The rig is gone! Others are under attack though!"

Battlebug turned. Frostbite looked.

There was a fire in the distance on the water...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next