The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9 - New team, old problems!

3 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9  - New team, old problems! Empty The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9 - New team, old problems!

Post  Admin Thu May 07 2020, 12:23

"WOW!"

Catherine glanced sideways at Frostbite then muttered "Remember this was YOUR idea. Just saying!" she said with a smile and slapped the icy hero on the shoulder playfully before whistling and heading off inside the vast mansion that served as home.

"Seriously? WOW!" repeated Flea. He spun, a big grin on his face and arms stretched wide. "SERIOUSLY? YOU LIVE HERE?" he went bounding off about the house and grounds and Jethro the hologram butler, materialised in the air beside Frostbite. "Ahem sir. I've taken the liberty of preparing a room in the guest annex for the young..." he glanced at the bouncing, bounding form, spinning and lazily tumbling through the air and whooping "WOW!" every few moments "...visitor. Or should that be...resident?"

"I have as yet no idea of his security clearance so the mansion is restricted to him in a way it is not to you. I will monitor his whereabouts at all times in case he... tries something." said the Butler, raising an eyebrow. The pair turned to watch the youngster bounce again. "Hmmm there greenhouse is ..."

CRISH! TINKLE!

"...That way."

"SORRY!" came a distant shout. "Hey, did you guys know there's a greenhouse back here?"

With a sigh the butler faded from view.

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9  - New team, old problems! Issue-9-title

=========

"So boss man, what's the plan? When I was a costumed do gooder I'd have jumped at the chance to join an outfit like the UKChampions. Well funded, expansive, loved by the media, plenty of back up... what's not to like?" she said as she grabbed another of the prepared sandwiches on the table and went to sit in the huge lounge with the circular settee, putting feet up on a puffet.

"But from what you say... " she said in between mouthfuls, "some of them are grade A morons to work with. Shamrock talked a good talk but was dropped straight away and Atomica? Don't even get me started."

Frostbite pondered as he ate. 'Iced off' and in civilian clothes he felt more... relaxed, more normal. He had to admit though, normal for him was crazy by anyone else's standard.

Catherine reached for a tablet and tapped on it. The wall turned into a huge screen with a dozen different views of Flea bounding about outside. There was no volume but Frostbite could see the youngster mouthing "WOW!" when he peered into a garage or stood back to look at the size of the mansion. He was unmasked, dressed in jogging top and bottoms and looked like an average 19 year old youth.

"The boy has incredible power, but it's unpredictable. Jethro ran a rudimentary security scan and the computer crunched the numbers. We *think* he's somewhere between Class 2 and 4. That would put him in your ballpark as a mid to high three to low four on the Bergstrom Metahuman classification scale. As reference Lionheart is mid to high 4 to low 5. These things are never exact as you know. Surge, Reflex, Terra Firma, Probability and the others were all class 1-2. Surge has potential but is limited because ... well, growth. Great outdoors not so great in BUT he's changed some since he was here. Superhuman strength now. Impressive."

She turned back to the screen. "This kid though? Here's the thing. He can spike his adrenaline levels SO high without any kind of limit we can measure that his strength and agility goes off the charts. It's unpredictable, that word again. That means on a bad day he's maybe high class 2, low to mid three. On his BEST day? He could give Lionheart the run around. Even without his Adrenaline Spike his reflexes are astonishing. Think Lionheart without the superspeed. He can fight, he's fast, he heals quick and he's enthusiastic. He wants to be here. While you were changing he practically begged me to put in a good word with you. He looks on you as a kind of father figure. I think it's cute." she smiled, a cheeky grin on her face.

Then she waved a warning finger "Remember though, with great power comes great parental responsibility! You can dash his hopes and dreams or raise him right to be a powerful servant and force for good. Or you could leave him to his own devices and he'll get himself killed. Too brave for his own good as yet I reckon. I've seen the type. It's just my opinion but if you let the UKC get hold of this kid he won't achieve his full potential and will probably get fed up of being bossed around."

"There's another thing. Dawson wants you to head up a government backed team. Justin is keen on the idea. It just needs your go ahead and..." she hovered a finger over a button on the tablet "Dawson said only to open these files if you said yes to his team as they are a list of raw recruits, potential members if you like. He doesn't want you nabbing them if you go to the Champions, but trusted me to 'do the right thing'. Which I will. You should check out the file on Melody Sanderson. That girl has po-ten-shul!" she laughed.

"So Boss. What's the plan?"

Frostbite glanced at the screen. It showed the Flea sat on the crest of the roof of the house basking in the sun and drinking in the view of the estate, what with fields, rolling hills, trees and the fishing lake that was fed by a stream. He saw the youngster mutter "Wow!" again.

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9  - New team, old problems! Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9  - New team, old problems! Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9  - New team, old problems! Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9 - New team, old problems!

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu May 07 2020, 19:54

Admin wrote:"But from what you say... " she said in between mouthfuls, "some of them are grade A morons to work with. Shamrock talked a good talk but was dropped straight away and Atomica? Don't even get me started."

Frostbite pondered as he ate. 'Iced off' and in civilian clothes he felt more... relaxed, more normal. He had to admit though, normal for him was crazy by anyone else's standard.

Joe nodded, "They certainly seem to have an issue I think in part because the team is so loose with a roaster it’s like they’re not totally familiar with one another and so end up at cross purposes.  That and to be honest they were hit by Mamba, he was tricky.  Did he escape or did he get captured?  I hope he’s away; he was a nasty piece of work.”

Admin wrote:"The boy has incredible power, but it's unpredictable...Surge has potential but is limited because ... well, growth. Great outdoors not so great in BUT he's changed some since he was here. Superhuman strength now. Impressive."

Admin wrote:She turned back to the screen...He looks on you as a kind of father figure. I think it's cute." she smiled, a cheeky grin on her face.

Joe looked a bit pained, the thought of the kid looking up to him didn’t bother him.  The truth was he wasn’t as young as he looked, and by now he’d thought he’d have settled down.  A small family, nice house, back in the old country, the war long behind him.  

He sighed, a heavy, and saw Catherine look at him, and smiled ruefully.  “It’s been a long journey to where I am, I was born way, way back, I guess officially I’m like 90 or, but of course it’s all different now.  I just thought I’d have a family the normal way, not get landed with one fully grown.  Still when life gives you lemons…”  

Admin wrote:"There's another thing. Dawson wants you to head up a government-backed team. Justin is keen on the idea. It just needs your go ahead and..." she hovered a finger over a button on the tablet "Dawson said only to open these files if you said yes to his team as they are a list of raw recruits, potential members if you like. He doesn't want you nabbing them if you go to the Champions, but trusted me to 'do the right thing'. Which I will. You should check out the file on Melody Sanderson. That girl has po-ten-shul!" she laughed.

"So Boss. What's the plan?"

“Well first can we please drop the “Boss” I don’t mind being my rank of Captain but we’re not in the army, and well to friends Joe, is my preference.”

He said somewhat embarrassed.  The truth was he spent so much time as Frostbite Joe felt like another person in another life.  But it was good to remember he had another life.  He couldn’t be doing this forever.  

“Right let’s get on with this, hit the button.”

He said as glanced at the screen, “We have got to get that kid a new name.  Flea, it sounds like he is going to bug out, any moment.  Besides what you call something tends to determine how you think of it or them.  If the boy is going to be part of the team, a good name lends itself to the right approach; this is now game after all.  Sadly our friend will quickly learn that, out there.  Right, let’s take a look at those files.”

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9  - New team, old problems! Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9 - New team, old problems!

Post  Admin Fri May 08 2020, 09:51

Catherine grinned. "Alright Joe, let's get to it!" She tapped the screen and a list of names appeared on the video wall.

Alongside each name was a classification of 1 to 5, but there were no fives, only a couple of 4s and most were 1 to 3.

"Dawson has drawn on all intelligence data available to the various services to pull a list of possible candidates for a new team. He said that some of them would need face to face persuading and that you should do that. Others were agents already for SMITE or SPRITE and some were only semi active. These are the ones who are active as superheroes right now, though to a small degree or as loners..."

OOC The power level may not be accurate as it's a computer based classification and how powerful/useful a power or character is depends on the situation. For instance a guy who is powerful in water (like Aquator or Prince Namor the Sub Mariner/Aquaman) might be a Class 3-4 but be pretty hopeless out of water. It's a general guide for me but in game terms for Frosty it's a 'weak, powerful, ok, ok, weak...' glance at the power level/usefulness. Bear in mind some characters may have very high APs of power but not be that powerful, and vice versa. The computer classification is listed in brackets next to the name... Where a * is marked next to a name either the authorities know this persons' true identity and location (some are publicly known others they were picked up on surveillance tapes etc) or Frostbite/Catherine/Wandafar/Justin St Johns does.

(2) Cosmos - magnetic powers and able to manipulate energy fields*
(3) Mindscanner - mental powers
(2) Zapper - lightning/electricity control*
(1) Lady Phantom - able to pass through objects
(3-4) Star Knight - superstrength, agility, invulnerability, flight
(1) Computron - an Android who fights crime*
(4) Superior - a relatively new hero but already demonstrated a high degree of Strength, Martial prowess and flight
(2-3) King Cobra - descendant of a previous hero with a suit that grants snake like powers
(2) Leopard Boy - another descendant of a hero, this time 'Leopard of Lime Street'
(1) Gobbledigook - able to eat through anything!*
(2) Transmuton - able to transform one element into another
(1) Mystic Man - seemingly a stage magician who can actually perform magic tricks*
(3) Dura Belle - a lady who can withstand practically any injury
(1) Kung Fu Kid - a young man with a superb level of martial arts skill
(2) Shadowman - a hard hitting vigilante/detective who prefers to work alone
(2) Pitbull - a brawler*
(3) Radiance - a woman composed of pure energy only given form by a robotic form she wears
(1-2) Gravitas - gravity control, formerly a member of the Vanguard*
(1-2) Terra Firma - controls a stone golem, formerly a member of the Vanguard*
(1-2) Firebrand - generate/control flame and heat, fly, formerly a member of the Vanguard*
(1-2) Surge - growth, superhuman strength, formerly a member of the Vanguard, currently a SMITE agent*
(2) Reflex - a 'vampire' of sorts, able to absorb energy from others to boost her abilities, formerly a member of the Vanguard*
(Probability, Traveller, Rebuff and Impulse have all most likely retired as superheroes given the stresses and strains of being away for so long on the Vanguards trip into deep micro space, but can be contacted).
(2) Sun Girl - flight, energy powers, works as a SMITE agent at the moment*
(1) Zoo Master - can transform into any animal. Unsure of his abilities, works as a SMITE agent*
(3) Archon - a lady who can generate energy wings and heal others
(2) Brikk - a boy who can transform into a 10' tall living stone golem with tremendous strength and durability
(2) The Crimson Guardian - a traditional 4 colour hero with a strict moral code who gets his powers from an ancient suit of red armour
(3) Robotika - a female android with superhuman abilities*
(3) Melody - a woman who can form sound into 'living' constructs that do her bidding.*
(2) Dynamic - a young hero who uses gadgets to give him super powers and varies his repertoire between missions
(2) Beholder - a young woman who commands a creature very much like a D&D style beholder!
(2) Cyber Axe - an alien warrior who was part of a scouting party and changed his ways after being enamoured of earth
(3) Cyber Woman - an alien warrior who was part of the same group as Cyber Axe and decided to oppose the conquering of earth
(2) Titan - a gadgeteer who's special suit grants short lived but powerful abilities
(1) Speeder - A young woman who roller skates at superhuman speed and fights street level crime
(2) Torque - a super strong warrior whose powers come from the magic torc he wears

Catherine scrolled down the list. "There's another file Dawson held back. He wants to see what you can do with this lot first. The 'second' file are the ones he's had a crack at and they turned the idea down flat. It's probably too soon to approach them he figures. Once you have a team up and running and established he figures to let you try to persuade some of those. Unfortunately the UKChampions are always on the look out for people to fill out their already massive roster so any that we miss out on might go to them."

Jethro appeared in the air close by, hovering an inch or so off the ground. "Excuse me sir, madam. The young man, ah 'Flea' has asked if he can come and speak with you. Bearing in mind you have a secret identity of sorts Sir I thought it best to ask first. The young man seems comfortable here without his mask. I have taken the liberty of summoning Mister Wandafar here as well. He said he was busy with something but would be along 'ven Coronation Street vas finished' he said. Ahem."

Catherine shrugged. "The boy proved he can be trusted by siding with you but it's your call Joe. As for this lot... our old team members might be worth a look but four have all said they won't be returning to the hero fold any time soon. Only Surge and Reflex have stayed active and Steph has mentioned that she might soon return to the mansion for training and possibly as part of the team. All of those who went into space have grown some and Wandafar has looked at each of their abilities to see if there is a way of honing and increasing them. He said he'd get right on it after binge watching Eastenders." She rolled her eyes.

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9  - New team, old problems! Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9  - New team, old problems! Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri May 08 2020, 21:41

Admin wrote:Jethro appeared in the air close by, hovering an inch or so off the ground. "Excuse me sir, madam. The young man, ah 'Flea' has asked if he can come and speak with you. Bearing in mind you have a secret identity of sorts Sir I thought it best to ask first. The young man seems comfortable here without his mask. I have taken the liberty of summoning Mister Wandafar here as well. He said he was busy with something but would be along 'ven Coronation Street vas finished' he said. Ahem."

Catherine shrugged. "The boy proved he can be trusted by siding with you but it's your call, Joe.

Frostbite didn't really have family or anyone whom he was concerned about knowing who he really was, so nodded to Jethro "It's ok, we can forego the formalities, Jethro, show him in."

Then turning to Catherine he added, "I need some time with that list, we'd best come up with whom we think best in terms of priorities and gaps in our team. One thing is sure if they are all novices it won't work too much chance of getting someone badly hurt. Sun Girl and Zoo Master worked well, but we need experience as well as new blood. What do you think?"

OOC: Ok I'm going to take a look at the list and reread it, so that I can assess whom to go for first, are you letting me have a free reign or do you want to steer me a certain way on this? I don't mind, but stating up must not be easy, so if I can make it easier by choosing where you'd like to go or have got, let me know.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat May 09 2020, 16:54

OOC Don't just pick from the list! If you have any previous characters from other games or have any particular characters you'd like then feel free to add them to the list! if you fancy a laugh roll up some powers from the old GH table but I suspect most of them will be pretty low powered compared to a Class 2-3 hero (Frosty by now is mid-high 3 for example and would mop the floor with any GH character we ever encountered. It wouldn't be a contest! That's the lower powered game system Gh has but for all that I still love its charm and 'Britishness' compared to the flashy over the top pants on the outside American comic book heroes.

I cooked that list up on the fly over 10 mins or so and basically will only stat up those you show an interest in. not all will want to a) join a group or b) join YOUR group but you may make some useful contacts on the way and participate in some 'on the fly' adventures. I'm aiming for a more grounded campaign for Frosty after years of zapping about the stars or saving the world every day (and twice on Tuesdays). So if you are feeling creative feel free to list some characters/names/pictures or even use stuff from the comics. Obscure, out of print stuff welcome! David M has been posting up some olde worlde (30s-40s) characters and some of them may be worth a look...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat May 09 2020, 19:08

Admin wrote:OOC Don't just pick from the list! If you have any previous characters from other games or have any particular characters you'd like then feel free to add them to the list! if you fancy a laugh roll up some powers from the old GH table but I suspect most of them will be pretty low powered compared to a Class 2-3 hero (Frosty by now is mid-high 3 for example and would mop the floor with any GH character we ever encountered. It wouldn't be a contest! That's the lower powered game system Gh has but for all that I still love its charm and 'Britishness' compared to the flashy over the top pants on the outside American comic book heroes.

I cooked that list up on the fly over 10 mins or so and basically will only stat up those you show an interest in. not all will want to a) join a group or b) join YOUR group but you may make some useful contacts on the way and participate in some 'on the fly' adventures. I'm aiming for a more grounded campaign for Frosty after years of zapping about the stars or saving the world every day (and twice on Tuesdays). So if you are feeling creative feel free to list some characters/names/pictures or even use stuff from the comics. Obscure, out of print stuff welcome! David M has been posting up some olde worlde (30s-40s) characters and some of them may be worth a look...

OOC: For now picking from the list is easier, maybe I will think about my old heroes, if I can remember them.

Frostbite flicked through the list, he pondered and coloured coded till he whittled down the list, occasionally looking to Catherine with a nod or not.

"Ok so I think these are the ones I am sure we want to contact, and these I'm less sure off...

(3) Mindscanner - mental powers - we could do with some back up here since losing Lionheart.
(2) Reflex - a 'vampire' of sorts, able to absorb energy from others to boost her abilities, formerly a member of the Vanguard*
Steph and I worked well and she has great leadership potential. She'd be a safe asset out with a team especially with some of the new less experienced ones.
I'd like Zoo Master and Sun Girl in, they've been already part of the SMITE SPRITE set up before me, and despite their relative inexperience, they both proved to be great team players. We need to watch Zoo Masters state, he took a bit of a pounding on Power's ship.
(3) Melody - a woman who can form sound into 'living' constructs that do her bidding.* You liked the look of her, and that's good enough for me.
(2) Titan - a gadgeteer who's special suit grants short-lived but powerful abilities - I think this guy could be useful as back up and a good allrounder.
And we need some muscle, though it's not fair to judge on so little I'm intrigued by the one called Torc, magic and muscle could go a long way to filling out that side of the rosta. So lets set up the meets and get things sorted.

Right, where is this lad, who wants to talk to me?"

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat May 09 2020, 19:33

The young man came in and looked around. "Wow! this place is so cool!"

He looked over at Catherine and muttered "Wow!" and saw a man in his late twenties (?) sat on the couch nearby looking at the screen with names and details scrolling down. Taking a moment to absorb the sight - large open plan room big circular couch and table, video wall, gadgets and terminals all over the place, drinks bar, fridge with snacks, a wall covered in books on shelves...

"Ahem." said Catherine and got his attention.

"Oh yeah! Right!" he walked over and stood more or less to attention in front of the Vanguardians.

"I'm er, Flea. The Mighty Flea! Uhm. You know that of course but uh... gee this is hard. I'm so nervous!" he ran his hand through damp hair and asked "Can I sit down? I feel like I've done something wrong and trying to talk my way out of it..."

Catherine waved a hand and the youngster sat on the couch as it curved, almost opposite. "Anyway. I... uh, are you Frostbite sir? you don't look... icy. And blue. I'm uh, guessing... anyway. I really like what I've seen here and want to be trained, or be part of a team, or something. I've done ok on my own but sometimes I bite off more than I chew and despite what I say, I can't do it all myself. Maybe one day, but that scrap at the farmhouse and the radiation nearly did for me."

"Tell us about that, about yourself. By the way I'm Catherine and this is Joe. Frostbite." she offered.

The lad grinned and relaxed. "I'm William, or Billy. Billy Watts. I guess I should start at the beginning. My Uncle Tommy got his super powers whilst he was living in America with his parents. He made a costume and fought crime as 'The Mighty Flea!'. Then one day he didn't come home. I found out about him from my Dad who is a scientist and helped stabilise Uncle Tommys abilities. With serums and stuff. Anyway..."

He glanced about, then shrugged "I wanted to find out what happened to Uncle Tommy after I found a scrapbook of my dads. He joined a group called the Chicago Champions and was doing ok till one of the other heroes killed him. I mean, his team mate! And him just a kid! My dad, who was quite a bit older, in his twenties and already a science whizz, took it hard and didn't want to talk about it. So I uh, snuck into his lab, read his notes, recreated the serum and experiment and uh.. turned things up to 11. I'm more powerful than Uncle Tommy ever was ... but the power comes n goes. It wasn't a total success but it was successful if you get what I mean. So I made a costume and want to follow in Uncle Tommys footsteps. Dad doesn't know but I figure he'd guess if I was ever on the news so I've been low key about it. Changed my costumes a few times, told people I was Bug Boy, or Green Beetle or Grasshopper... but I am the Flea, and one day I'll go to America and get justice for my Uncle, I swear it!"

"Revenge isn't usually a good trait for a hero." said Catherine.

"I know... I know. It's just... it seemed so senseless. So... wasteful. He was just a kid, younger than I am and now he's dead. I can't bring him back but I can make a legacy that would make him, and some day my dad, proud. To do that I need to make the right choices and following you Mr Frostbite seems to be the right one to me. If you'll have me. If not... well thanks for the food and the shower. I like your Butler, he's cool! Is he some kind of robot? There's also another guy who sounds kinda German, or French, but he told me to sod off because he was watching Neighbours or something. He seems ok though, he kinda sounded like he was joking and to go see him for a new suit seeing as my other one got shredded."

"So that's me. I'm studying Physics and Radiation at the London University and rent a poxy lil flat and deliver pizzas as well as parcels and stuff to scrape up rent and food. And I share the place with eight other students. It's tricky to get in and out unseen but most of them smoke weed and can't remember what their name is for the most part. One day I'll live in a place like this! Well, maybe. three full time jobs at minimum wage in London doesn't leave much time or money for anything else."

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat May 09 2020, 22:23

Admin wrote:"I know... I know. It's just... it seemed so senseless. So... wasteful. He was just a kid, younger than I am and now he's dead. I can't bring him back but I can make a legacy that would make him, and some day my dad, proud. To do that I need to make the right choices and following you Mr Frostbite seems to be the right one to me. If you'll have me. If not... well thanks for the food and the shower. I like your Butler, he's cool! Is he some kind of robot? There's also another guy who sounds kinda German, or French, but he told me to sod off because he was watching Neighbours or something. He seems ok though, he kinda sounded like he was joking and to go see him for a new suit seeing as my other one got shredded."

"So that's me. I'm studying Physics and Radiation at the London University and rent a poxy lil flat and deliver pizzas as well as parcels and stuff to scrape up rent and food. And I share the place with eight other students. It's tricky to get in and out unseen but most of them smoke weed and can't remember what their name is for the most part. One day I'll live in a place like this! Well, maybe. three full time jobs at minimum wage in London doesn't leave much time or money for anything else."

Joe had been listening and turned from the monitor toward the young man.  His story...well like so many somehow he'd stumbled onto something and it was bigger than him.  It seemed as if the gifts came easy, but then...then came the hard part.  

"Will I like you.  My dad would say, you've got heart.  You might think of it as courage.  Most people think courage is the thing you have when you face a battle or face down a villain and your powers are turned up to 11.  But in actual fact courage that is real, is only turned up to 11 when you've got nothing else.  And I saw that in you in Cumbria.  You've see the way things are here, its a thing.  So much more than the threadbare life you are trying so hard to pull together whilst doing the right thing.  But you are so invested in so many different directions, it must be hard to stop from bouncing about like the name you proudly wear.  

Will your namesake had a legacy that was denied him.  Perhaps if we get time there maybe a chance to look into what happened...I'm all for justice, especially on my own soil.  But one thing you get to realise in this...role, is that nothing is as it always appears.  You saw how Atomica was duped and then used against us.  In any case, don't let hate be the fuel that drives you, it will consume you from within and end up making you into the thing you actually hate.  Ok speech time is over, if you are going to do better than your predecessor, we've got to get you trained up.  Have a team around you, whom you can trust and learn how to best utilise your powers and skills when those powers of you go left and you go right.  If we are going to do this.  But listen don't let the penthouse, the fancy pants house or anything else fool you.  This is life and death, we all could have died out there and frankly should have.  But it turns out you are really gifted, if unpredictable."

Joe looked across at Catherine, and then back giving himself time to let the dust settle.  

"Ok so we need to get your private life sorted, you focus on your studies, always good to have something to fall back on.  And away from the...I'm resisting saying 'fleapit' you call home, we can focus on training.  We've got some people to start looking into and recruiting and once we've got you sorted we can look into getting you a new identity. I presume since your uncle and Dad are known, your identity as the 'Flea' might end up being compromised and not so safe as you'd like to think if you want to keep your ID secret from those who might hurt your family.  So I hope you don't mind losing the name for now or adopting a variation, Fleabane or something - code names are not my thing.  Ok so take your time think it through and let us know. OK?"

Joe, looked on, he hoped he hadn't been too harsh, but he felt the direct approach was right.  To be honest with no experience of teenagers apart from the men in his units who were more like men than the teenagers that had arisen today, he hoped he hadn't crushed Will.  

OOC:  OK if we are going to use the name Flea, I think it best that it be dignified in some way or else we go for something else like some variation of its Latin name which is Siphonaptera - or perhaps Siphon, owing to the fact that in essence that is how he came to be, Syphoning a formula that belonged to his father and making himself the Flea.  Anyway assuming Will is up for this, and the changes necessary, it might be good to have him join me and Catherine in recruiting our converts - might as well give him the ground floor tour.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon May 11 2020, 12:11

"i guess.. I guess using the name Mighty Flea does kind of point to me and if I want to protect my family I ... hmmm." he pondered. "Guess this is why you're a leader. I need to think like that. What about... BattleBug?" he grins.

Wandafar 'wanders' in munching on a plate of nachos with dips. "Achhh! Ze boy is still here?"

Catherine scooped up a cushion and tossed it in Wandafar's direction who deftly stepped aside. "Kidding! Hello boy I hef seen you bouncing around und scanned you. Interesting. Your body is 'balanced' viz a combination of gene altering drugs und radiation vich enhances your abilities. I suspect if that is put 'out of balance' you are kaput, ya?"

"Something like that" said Billy uncomfortably. "I guess I overdid it."

"No, not so much. Viz out zet your abilities would be nowhere near vot zey are. Even at rest as you are now your agility and dexterity can only be described as astonishing. You are vun of ze few who could Lionheart a could screp. Vell, until he cheats und uses his superspeed zen you vud get your ess kicked, but in terms of potential you are very powerful. I hef noticed a number of readings... do your powers come und go?"

"Yup! How did you...?"

"Tatatata details. Your body essentially fights against you. Had you regulated ze radiation better... but still to do vot you did vizout killing yoruself vuz impressive. He is staying, yes?" he asked of Frostbite.

At the nod he turned to the youngster. "Zen I shell make you a suit. Tough, self healing fabric und a few gadgets. I suspect zo you might sometimes take a beating but... I bet you recover quickly, yes?"

A nod.

"Hmmm. Right. I'll get to it." and he wanders off, leaving the plate of Nachos which the youngster slides over to get stuck into.

Catherine watches him then smiles. "I'd say you have your first recruit. I'll have a word with Justin St Johns and see if we can pull a few strings and make some good excuses as to University absences. In the meantime I'll rent a truck and get things moving for the youngster, sort out any paperwork, outstanding bills and get the details. A far cry from my life as a superhero!" she smiles, but Joe knew she was happy to help and be involved as the teams' second in command, unofficially. She tossed him a phone. "Call Steph."

"I was wondering if you'd call or whether I should get in touch Fro... Joe." said Steph. It was good to hear her voice and she soon confirmed that she would indeed be a firm new recruit. In the next day or two she'd settle her personal affairs and turn up with her meagre belongings.

Dawson spoke to Frostbite on the phone soon later. "I've talked to Kevin, he already wants back in. Zoo Master will take some work. Sun Girl is on the fence. She enjoyed the experience but thinks she needs more training. I'll work on her. We need to meet, in civvies if that's ok. There's a cafe... I need to give you a few details on the people you mention. I'm so glad you've gone for this Frostbite. This is just what the country needs."

=========

Frostbite settles back and sighs. And so it had begun. It would take some work to sort the others out but another team seed had been planted and soon would flower and grow.

OOC Who next would you like to pursue? You have right now:

Surge
Reflex
BattleBug
Zoo Master/Sun Girl aren't confirmed but should be ok.

Next?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue May 12 2020, 08:15

Admin wrote:Dawson spoke to Frostbite on the phone soon later. "I've talked to Kevin, he already wants back in. Zoo Master will take some work. Sun Girl is on the fence. She enjoyed the experience but thinks she needs more training. I'll work on her. We need to meet, in civvies if that's ok. There's a cafe... I need to give you a few details on the people you mention. I'm so glad you've gone for this Frostbite. This is just what the country needs."

Joe got ready, already in his mind he was thinking through when he might get to meet Mindscanner and Melody. Catherine had suggested that Melody was one to look out for, and certainly, Mindscanner could be a help in the decision of the mental powers, where Lionheart always filled in so well before. Unbidden his long term teammate and friend came to mind. He wondered how things were working out for him...then he pulled his mind back to his meeting with Dawson.

He also made a mental note to talk to Wandafar and Frostbot about autonomy, if they were building a team, what would Frostbot's part in it be - could he fill the ranks if Wnadarfar could provide a body for him?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 12 2020, 10:42

Catherine had to more or less push Billy out the door. "Come on you, we have a lot to sort out! You can talk to the grown ups once you've done your homework"

Before he could complain the door clicked shut behind them and Jethro reappeared in the room close to Joe. "I've prepared the Mercedes for you sir. Mind how you go in 'sport' mode. Mister Wandafar was bored one day and changed the turbochargers for something... larger. And don't bother trying to fit anything in the boot. It's full of experimental batteries for the retrofitted electric motors. Why anyone would need over 1000 horsepower in the streets of London is beyond me. Even the small cars he's fiddled with are ridiculous. Goodness how we'll get them back to standard condition when the lease is up and they are replaced." sighed the artificial man.

The drive was pretty relaxing on the motorway and Joe considered he'd never really done anything normal like this in... well, a long time. Listen to the radio, steady drive, pleasant brunch at a cafe... The sun streamed through the window and he motored along, occasionally giving the car a tickle and laughing as it fired forward. A parked police car 'gunned' him and Joe could imagine the confusion when the speed gun was jammed by Wandafars' computers. At law abiding speed he drove the rest of the way into London.

=========

Dawson was sat in the cafe on a rooftop terrace looking out over London.

Joe's practised eye saw a couple of people in the various patrons who might well be SMITE agents. He wasn't worried - Dawson as leader of the field operations probably warranted personal protection and the man and woman were casually noting everyone who entered the terrace with an easy, practised eye. Frostbot confirmed that they were, indeed, 'wired for sound'.

'They are a security detail. There is one inside the restaurant, one in the lobby and two in the street.' explained Frostbot 'Judging by the signals.'

Joe moved over and Dawson looked up from his phone. "Can I hel... ahh. Is it you?" he said, standing and offering a hand.

'He has special contact lenses that are running your appearance through a database and one of the agents at the table - the female - is surreptitiously scanning you for superhuman meta genes. Would you like me to jam her attempts? The male agent has reported possible contact with 'subject F'. Which is presumably you.' he adds.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue May 12 2020, 21:00

Admin wrote:Joe moved over and Dawson looked up from his phone. "Can I hel... ahh. Is it you?" he said, standing and offering a hand.

'He has special contact lenses that are running your appearance through a database and one of the agents at the table - the female - is surreptitiously scanning you for superhuman meta genes. Would you like me to jam her attempts? The male agent has reported possible contact with 'subject F'. Which is presumably you.' he adds.

Taking the hand, Joe sat down and nodded to Dawson. He knew he looked so different from his otherwise transformed self. He noted Frostbot's recommendation and suggested he go in later and change the DNA profile so they had something but not his. One doesn't like to share stuff without consent - he thought. And for all the modern conveniences the world offered now to the one he'd grown up in he still couldn't used to the fact the world was just so nosey.

After filling Dawson in on the selection process and the names of Mindscanner and Melody, as well as Billy/Flea joining the team, Joe ended up by saying, "I'm pleased Kevin is onboard, Sun girl is on the fence. I am happy to leave her there till such a time as she feels ready, same with Zoo Master. I don't want them to be crushed before their out of the starting block. So what was the big hurry to get me to meet?"

Frostbite, took his coffee, cooling it with a small touch of ice, so the he could drink it the way he liked it these days...

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 13 2020, 10:36

Dawson relaxed and glanced about. "You may not know it, but this place is crawling with agents." he said whilst sipping his tea.

With a sigh he went on. "Back in the days of the Department for Intelligence and Counter Espionage the world was a different place. DICE had its hands in many pies and as a result was easy to infiltrate relatively speaking. When my father, Major Dawson, retired DICE was pretty much finished and soon after the various EU members started arguing about funding and coming up with their own solutions. A few years later out of the ashes rose SMITE, the Strategic Metahuman International Terrorist Elimination program. Heavier handed, more direct and less 'read the rights' than 'clean the mess up after we've shot them'."

"The Government drew a line and SMITE enforced it, or tried to. The superhuman registration act of the noughties was a disaster. We can say that now but at the time it seemed like a good idea. If you have powers and wear a mask who do we know is REALLY behind it. When 'Adjutant' went on a rampage it took an army of supers to stop him, and it turned out to be a villain masquerading as him. The mess was... well, messy. Adjutant unmasked himself as Albert Watkins and came to the side of SMITE and the whole thing descended into farce. Good guys fighting good guys while the bad guys robbed banks, pointed and laughed. Even the American Ultrahumans got involved but were humiliated when they didn't unmask and reveal their identities to the world, thus making them guilty of breaking the law as much as those they sought to bring in."

"SMITE fell and we watched, sat on our hands and waited, hoped even, that things would sort themselves out. Before all of this, in the days of DICE we had the Executive and the Lore Knights, and before them other groups. British Defenders, Knights Errant and the other one... errr, the name escapes me. There have been a few. When SMITE reformed a section of funding was devoted to the Super Powered Retrieval Investigation Tactical Enforcement." He sighed and took another sip. "Governments love their acronyms. It's sexier on the telly than 'Department of Superhuman Affairs'. The DSA sounds like a benefits agency."

"Look the point of this walk down memory lane is that in the past mistakes were made and we have to learn from them. I've spoken to Justin St Johns and he trusts you implicitly. He wants you to have free rein with backup and support from me and as little interference as possible. We want the same things, mainly people to be safe and bad guys off the street. JsJ outranks me more than I can comprehend and he's argued the Prime Minister down more than once. Don't even get me started on the Home Secretary. The point being that Justin has been around for ages, barely seems to age much and is THE authority on supers and how to deal with them. He says your setup - The Vanguard - will not only work with the UK Government but also 'do the right thing' by which I mean you have no political or monetary agenda."

He took another sip and looked about. "The UKChampions are THE biggest force for good in the country, no doubt about it. Adjutant when he's recovered from whatever happened in deep space is a power we can't manage. Generally he does the right thing and we have no complaints but the rest of the UKC are a loose cannon at times. We generally get there to clean up take statements and go tell relatives someone isn't coming home. If they ever go wrong or bad we are totally up **** creek. They are too numerous, too powerful... we need a Plan A for getting things done and a Plan B when things go pear shaped. You and your team will be it. You won't be the most powerful kids on the block but you'll have backup and support, as much as HM Government can afford or Justin St Johns bankrolls. The man has money reserves like you wouldn't believe, or maybe you would seeing as you've worked with him for a few years."

"That brings us to you and me. I was ex army, special forces, police, special teams working for SMITE and later SPRITE and now I'm division commander for SMITE. SPRITE haven't been able to make use of Concorde and Jetstreams donated armour for a superhuman guards corps and are a bit of a dud. There's no replacement for radioactive spiders or experiments gone wrong it seems. I know we're outgunned, relatively poorly funded and on a trail that leads to failure like my Dad was set on through no fault of his own. Therefore I need to break the cycle and you're the ace in the hole I need."

"So, now that I've rabbited on, let's get another couple of drinks in and tell me about you."

OOC The trip down memory lane is rather rambling but will form the basis of an updated WHO'S WHO 2020 for the Vanguard game...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed May 13 2020, 12:43

Admin wrote:"So, now that I've rabbited on, let's get another couple of drinks in and tell me about you."

Joe leaned back reflecting on the last few years as unbidden memories came to mind, including hope for love but now long lost.  Lives come and gone, adventures and sights the like of which Dawson would struggle to comprehend.  Truth was, if Joe didn't keep busy it might well drive him nuts thinking about as well.  He like Dawson was a soldier, and he loved the work, but more importantly, he loved being able to make a difference on some level.  There were always more powerful, meaner and nastier let alone dangerous forces out there, and yet...yet here he was.  And people said there wasn't a God!  Hah!

"Ironic isn't it, you coming to me, to help given I am or was an American soldier back in the day and well...its a long story for another time.  But thank you for filling me in, I was aware of much of what you said in separate parts but it's helpful to see the whole especially since I've been away a while.  I appreciate your candour and would wish to be similarly upfront.  I will put you a team together, and we will seek to do what we can to keep the UK and its citizens safe.  Its what I've a track record of doing and my intention to keep doing as long as I can.  So, is there anymore I need to know before I go talk to our prospective recruits?"

Admin wrote:OOC The trip down memory lane is rather rambling but will form the basis of an updated WHO'S WHO 2020 for the Vanguard game...

OOC: Good to know and it serves as a helpful reminder of the last few years of game time and more etc.  Also, good writing mate, you can churn this stuff out like I don't know what.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 13 2020, 22:50

"At the moment, we're still at the getting to know each other stage. Hopefully the country will stay out of peril long enough to get the team together." said Frank Dawson, Commander of SMITE.

"Here." he said, passing a smartphone over. "Like any smartphone it can be tracked, but the code and protections on it mean that it's we who are doing the tracking. This is going to depend on trust and..."

He pinned a finger into his ear and tipped his head slightly aside. "Hmmm. We have a positive sighting on Melody. There's a hostage situation going on in Glasgow and she's turned up to help. Word is a couple of UKChampions North types are there too. Sly Vixen and ... Atomica." he winced. "Great. Next thing there'll be headlines. 'Hostage situation stopped by nuclear explosion.' I can see it now. Just great." he sighed.

"You fancy heading north to give them a hand and speak to Melody? Some of these lesser known heroes don't tend to get out much. It's hard to keep track of them. We had a devil of a time finding you before you showed up the other day. Even Justin didn't know where you'd been. I have a file on you y'know?"

He laughed then and relaxed a little. "There's nothing in it."

"We can have a transport ready in minutes unless you want to use that fancy jet we have a devil of a time tracking. Either that or we'll have an agent chat to Melody if we get chance. Your call."

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu May 14 2020, 12:44

Admin wrote:"We can have a transport ready in minutes unless you want to use that fancy jet we have a devil of a time tracking. Either that or we'll have an agent chat to Melody if we get chance. Your call."

Joe got up quickly flipping the phone into his inside jacket where he knew Frostbot could 'touch' it and go through its secrets and leisure.

"I think I get better miles on my ride than you'res and besides I hate getting used to a new ride. See you around!"

And with that Joe was contacting Catherine, "Hey, it's me...Hmm, that is so redundant with this modern tech, but anyway need a lift if you're able to put one of those gazillion things down your doing and take me to Scotland, we're going to meet Melody...if you're up for it?"

Joe gave her the co-ordinates slipped down the road to a quieter back alley where moments later atop the buildings Frostbite appeared flying up to rendezvous with his lift.

OOC: Let's light some fires and kick some tyres

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu May 14 2020, 18:54

Catherine replied by saying "Gotcha Joe. Hang on! Right, drive according to the sat nav and I'll be there in ten minutes."

Ten minutes later he was parked up by the river. She'd stated to park here but he could see a traffic warden and a sign saying NO PARKING.

Knowing he'd have to move unless he wanted Justins car towing away he glanced about. No sign of...
g
Fizzing into life beside him on the passenger seat Jethro, or a computer clone, said "Sir, if you would care to step out of the car and fly straight up I believe the Valkyrie is waiting. It is in stealth mode but you should see it close up. I shall endeavour to return the car to the manor."

Joe stepped out of the car, looked about. The Traffic warden was writing a ticket, a pair walking the dog had passed, a distant boat was going along the Thames towards where Frostbite was but was some distance off.

WOOOSHH!!

Firing up like a rocket at nigh on 950MPH would be antisocial so Frostbite halved the speed, blasting up, up, up... and there! Against the partially clouded blue sky was something, like a shimmering field! Getting closer he could make out constantly changing and shifting tiles on the outside of the Valkyrie that copied the sky on the top of the jet and projected it as an image on the bottom. For anyone looking up, they'd see sky. If they looked with Binoculars at the right spot, they might see 'something weird'.

Within ten feet there was no doubting it and Joe willed his costume into being. It crawled instantly over his skin and he iced up, becoming the hero Frostbite!

Sliding into the co-pilot seat up front with Catherine at the helm she glanced over. "Productive meeting?" she asked whilst passing over a headphone/mike set. She eased the jet forward and the rear hatch closed. With green lights showing she upped the speed and the jet thrust forwards to the North. Setting the autopilot the pilot settled back and sipped on a coffee, before glancing over and passing a cup. The cockpit dispenser duly supplied Frostbite with a drink. At high altitude the jet was able to reach its maximum speed of mach 4. Maximum in atmosphere anyway.

"I left the kid packing his junk. It'll take a couple of days to get moved in." she explained. "Wandafar said Lionheart had been in touch. Said he was getting 'into blummin trouble again'. Steph mentioned she'd be popping over at teatime. Surge... Kevin.. called and asked if he could get his old room back. Other than that...? The world isn't in peril today, only Glasgow. Hang on!"

The jet roared even faster, hitting top speed as it lanced forward across the sky, Britain a dot below!

=========

On the outskirts of Glasgow Frostbite exited the craft and followed the phone GPS to the centre of the city. People gasped and pointed up at the flying figure. Others whipped phones out but he was long gone.

Police had cordoned off the council hall and people were gathered at a distance.

It looked like a stand off of some kind. At the edge of the cordon several TV cameras were pointed at a confrontation between Police and a brightly coloured individual matching the (very) vague description of Melody. Her costume was constantly changing colour, shimmering and altering colour every second. It looked like she was trying to help and the police weren't interested...

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9  - New team, old problems! Melody-Final-character-pic

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu May 14 2020, 19:32

Admin wrote:"I left the kid packing his junk. It'll take a couple of days to get moved in." she explained. "Wandafar said Lionheart had been in touch. Said he was getting 'into blummin trouble again'. Steph mentioned she'd be popping over at teatime. Surge... Kevin.. called and asked if he could get his old room back. Other than that...? The world isn't in peril today, only Glasgow. Hang on!"

Frostbite took the coffee, and iced it again, nodding as Catherine talked he interjected and she reeled off the news. "Lionheart??" He then said no more and he wondered what he'd gotten himself into and how that hadn't taken long. "Don't speak too soon, the world seems to constantly lurch from one thing to another, its any wonder it doesn't get spun off its axis some days."

He looked out the window mentally going through the already increasing roster, "The meeting was fine, Dawson knows that he has to play nice even if he's not sure he's been handed a ticking bomb or not. But I think he trusts me. I guess it doesn't help with our extended trip out yonder. But we'll see. He's ex-army, same as me so I think I get the measure of him, and him me."

Admin wrote:On the outskirts of Glasgow Frostbite exited the craft and followed the phone GPS to the centre of the city. People gasped and pointed up at the flying figure. Others whipped phones out but he was long gone.

Police had cordoned off the council hall and people were gathered at a distance.

It looked like a stand off of some kind. At the edge of the cordon several TV cameras were pointed at a confrontation between Police and a brightly coloured individual matching the (very) vague description of Melody. Her costume was constantly changing colour, shimmering and altering colour every second. It looked like she was trying to help and the police weren't interested...

As Frostbite flew over, he was still speaking to Catherine, "You know its a shame you can't join us out here. Another pair of eyes...and all that. I bet you'd make a good field operative. You must tell me again how you lost your powers! Right heads up work to do."

Flying down to the scene, Frostbite raised hands and drifted down to where Melody was. "Hi Frostbite, am I right in thinking your Melody? I'm here to make some introductions and an offer, but I guess right now we could probably better see if we can make an introduction to the authorities and see if we can help here. You up for joining me?"

OOC: Ok, not sure if I have some ID, or if I am well enough known or SMITE Database can fill them in - Dawson sent me so hopefully a call has gone in. And I'll vouchsafe for Melody, as well if she is keen to help still? Then we'll get to the officer in charge and see if he can tell us what the lie of the land is.

Is it wrong I loved this whole James Bond? gadgets and gear and Supers thing going on...loving it and makes for a real fresh change of pace - well-done mate for still keeping it so fresh.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu May 14 2020, 23:33

OOC The challenge as a GM as you'll know is always to try and keep things fresh. There's only so many bank robberies, alien invasions etc you can do before it goes stale. It doesn't always work. Sometimes I just grind to a halt and have a real head scratch and have to wrap things up to start something new. Frosty will be active on the home front for the forseeable and the basis of the next Who's Who/UkChampions/Vanguard guide to the world (probably what I'll call it) will be based on quite a lot of what happens to Mr Rigdon, so I'm glad you're enjoying it! No point in writing all that history/background stuff if you're off in space all the time...

Frostbite flew down and saw Police level weapons then lower them slowly as it was clear he wasn't there to attack. A senior police officer talking to Melody turned and addressed Frostbite.

"We've got the UKChampions already on site and negotiations are going well. No need for any other capes to turn up" he said in a broad Scottish accent (OOC Which quite clearly I won't insult by trying to mangle my text into something that sort of resembles a regional dialect. Wandafar is quite enough for that thankyou!)

The phone tucked into Frostbites belt starts to buzz and he glanced at it. There was a picture of him on it and a barcode.

'The Barcode reads with full details on your A1 security clearance and free access to the site on the orders of HM Government.' said Frostbot.

"Scan this." said Frostbite. The Policeman was taken aback and another officer stepped up to read it with their own phone. They blinked at the result on the screen and showed it to the top cop, DCI McSporran. He grunted and said "Well unless I see something from her, she's a civilian and in the way. The UKChampions are over there."

Frostbite looked about fifty feet away and saw Atomica stood with another woman, somewhat shorter than the amazon like alien princess and dressed in dark red sort of like a fox. He knew Atomica would be a pain in the butt. No getting around that.

"Well I suppose I should go." said Melody, her voice possessing a musical quality. Indeed, around her the noise of cameras shuttering, traffic and conversations seemed quieter. She had a very faint Scottish accent, probably a resident of Edinburgh. She sighed and was about to fly off...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri May 15 2020, 21:28

Admin wrote:Frostbite looked about fifty feet away and saw Atomica stood with another woman, somewhat shorter than the amazon like alien princess and dressed in dark red sort of like a fox. He knew Atomica would be a pain in the butt. No getting around that.

"Well I suppose I should go," said Melody, her voice possessing a musical quality. Indeed, around her the noise of cameras shuttering, traffic and conversations seemed quieter. She had a very faint Scottish accent, probably a resident of Edinburgh. She sighed and was about to fly off...

Frostbite reached out a hand to gently stop her, "hang on a second." Turning back to the officer in charge, he said "I am deputising this metahuman lady forthwith to aid me in this mission as directed by my licence and authority. Now if you'd like to get jumpy about the chain of command and take this up with government...well it's your career to throw away. However, if you'd like me to say to my superiors how wonderfully the Scottish police were in helping and assisting with a difficult mission. Resourceful given the difficulties at hand...well then the choice is yours. Do I make myself clear?"

Frostbite didn't need to look imposing his cold hard exterior, blue glowing chest plate and somewhat sunken eyes, made him look formidable enough. But he had an air about him an easy way of command, that was difficult but fo the more belligerent to ignore. He waited as if he had all the time in the world, knowing he didn't. If Atomica decided she was going to blast her way through then this would all be over rather swiftly and not the way anyone wanted.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat May 16 2020, 09:16

"Pulling rank on me?" bristled the copper. He frowned, then shrugged. "Righto. I've seen that sort of clearance and its well above my pay grade. You spooks can have it. My men will form a perimeter but the action is all yours. I'll let everyone know. You might want to tell the UKChampions that yourself though."

Melody looked intrigued. "I... lead on! Leader..." she smiled. She turned to the Policeman "If it's any consolation he's above my paygrade too sir." she said with a grin.

The old cop glowered then relaxed, unable to resist the cheeky smile and pretty green eyes. "Aye lassie, just don't mess it up or it'll be your guts fer garters, an mine fer not takin' charge!" he moaned, then started shouting at officers to get people well back.

Aware that the public was looking on and TV Cameras were transmitting live Frostbite marched over to a van where Atomica stood apart from others, her arms folded. Another woman stood near a few cops, consulting what appeared to be a map on the bonnet of a car.

Both women and the cops turned at the newcomers, and the cops backed off at a word from the head policeman in earpieces.

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9  - New team, old problems! Atomica

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9  - New team, old problems! Sly-Vixen

"You!" said Atomica. "What are you doing here? We are the UKChampions! WE are in charge, and we do not need your help!" said in her usual haughty, don't you know I'm royalty manner.

"The more the merrier I'd say!" replied the shorter woman who was sort of dressed like a fox, though without white (presumably for stealth purposes).

She thrust out a hand to shake. "I saw the report. You must be Frostbite! Great job on that farm thing with Eurotrash the other day!"

"Do you all know each other?" asked Melody. "I'm Melody. I'm new, but..."

"Another neophyte? Do you bring only untried warriors to the field of battle Frostbite?" asked Atomica.

Sly Vixen rolled her eyes and got back to looking at the map which was a layout of the City Hall. The place had a cordon of police around it and they watched the building, then glanced at the costumed drama unfolding.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat May 16 2020, 16:39

Admin wrote:"Another neophyte? Do you bring only untried warriors to the field of battle Frostbite?" asked Atomica.

Sly Vixen rolled her eyes and got back to looking at the map which was a layout of the City Hall. The place had a cordon of police around it and they watched the building, then glanced at the costumed drama unfolding.

Frostbite said to Melody, "Make nice with the Fox lady, take a look at the map tell me what you pick out." and then turning to Atomica Frostbite said, "My lady Atomica a word if you would?"

OOC: Assuming she is not averse to coming to one side.

"My lady, given that we know how...err you were distracted even captured by the villains on the field of battle earlier this week, it behoves us both not to let our experience lead to pride by which the smallest opening in our formidable arsenal might be exploited - does it not? Melody is untested and yet this is the only way for a true warriors mettle to be made know - surely it's only in the fire of a crucible of furnace such as this that one sees what no amount of training could otherwise cast into relief - do you not agree? But, since this is a delicate matter and I know that one of your highnesses station one which you would not sully your hands with. Only I would add, that the humans here, especially those ones with the cameras have the power to make us the heroes or the villains, depending on how they judge the outcome. Think of this like an arena and what we do here, the final outcome will be down to them. I am sure the other Champions would want you to carry the name forward from this day with pride. So as an advisor would you allow me & Melody to assist, after all I am more experienced with these matters regarding Earth Media, and it might be good for us all if we worked together on this?"

Frostbite hated to play the part of the nave, he didn't want to sound as if he was just trying to win Atomica over, but she was a powerhouse with a short fuse, and he'd rather have her cannon like pointing away from him than at him. But if he had to bust her down a rung or two he'd not hold back. He didn't want a cultural icon like this nor more importantly the people within to suffer for her hubris.

OOC: Ok so I am trying to make nice, but if need be I will call the UK Champions, but not without giving her fair warning - which I am hoping won't be necessary as she will see the wisdom of my words - especially if she has been around the press for any length of time at all.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat May 16 2020, 17:35

OOC before I update I should just let you know I'm having to rejig/recost Frostbite as I've been using the Adrenaline Surge power wrong. Basically it's not as good as I thought it was which will severely hamper Frosty in his current state so he's getting a rejig and an upgrade. Power wise I'd put him on a par with The Haunt as he's been around forever, plus he's running with increasingly bigger guns these days so he's getting a boost. I can squeeze a tiny bit more bang for buck if you will accept a weakness, say, to fire (which makes sense). The options are:

1) No! No weaknesses! EVER!!! You really don't need the points but if you want an overall upgrade read on...
2) An attack vulnerability which can range from mild to wild to fire/heat. Wild will really mess him up, mind. The scale is 1 (weak) to  4(very debilitating and could one shot him if attacked by a flame using bad guy)
3) A loss vulnerability which weakens him near naked flame. This nets a LOT of points and also makes him pretty useless near flames. That said we can make it so it's only within 10' that he feels it and needs to get away. Fire is common however. If you took that he would see a powerup across the board.
4) A fatal vulnerability to fire. That means he starts to die within range of flames. However the rate of death is so slow that if on full health it would take 20 odd minutes next to a fire to kill him. Throwing him in a pit of lava would be a bad thing to happen, mind.
5) Some of the options (2-4) or weakness to something else.

You don't need the weakness, let me stress. I just looked at the characters and for the length of time Frostbite has been running he's pretty much advanced the least though the system change five or six years ago propelled him from street level to Class 3 Superhuman. The way his powers work now (amended) will be like Lionhearts and Miss Victorys. You have a pool of points you can spread around to certain abilities or pile all into one as you see fit. Before there was a roll, possibility of a failure and having to make do with weak abilities (which might also fail with a bad roll). His abilities may still fail with the bad roll, I'm just suggesting ditching Adrenaline Surge power which temporarily boosts an ability by a random amount each round making it really useful or rubbish, roll dependent.

Basically my error was thinking that it increased your Acting Value (which is your aim, or skill) and your Effect value (which is the power level or how much damage/stuff it does). It doesn't, you only increase your Effect value so things like Weather Control and so on would be pretty much useless without great rolls. This new way (changing to a bunch of points you can allocate) is a much more sure way of giving him the boost he needs.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat May 16 2020, 18:18

Admin wrote:OOC before I update I should just let you know I'm having to rejig/recost Frostbite as I've been using the Adrenaline Surge power wrong. Basically it's not as good as I thought it was which will severely hamper Frosty in his current state so he's getting a rejig and an upgrade. Power wise I'd put him on a par with The Haunt as he's been around forever, plus he's running with increasingly bigger guns these days so he's getting a boost. I can squeeze a tiny bit more bang for buck if you will accept a weakness, say, to fire (which makes sense). The options are:

1) No! No weaknesses! EVER!!! You really don't need the points but if you want an overall upgrade read on...
2) An attack vulnerability which can range from mild to wild to fire/heat. Wild will really mess him up, mind. The scale is 1 (weak) to  4(very debilitating and could one shot him if attacked by a flame using bad guy)
3) A loss vulnerability which weakens him near naked flame. This nets a LOT of points and also makes him pretty useless near flames. That said we can make it so it's only within 10' that he feels it and needs to get away. Fire is common however. If you took that he would see a powerup across the board.
4) A fatal vulnerability to fire. That means he starts to die within range of flames. However the rate of death is so slow that if on full health it would take 20 odd minutes next to a fire to kill him. Throwing him in a pit of lava would be a bad thing to happen, mind.
5) Some of the options (2-4) or weakness to something else.

You don't need the weakness, let me stress. I just looked at the characters and for the length of time Frostbite has been running he's pretty much advanced the least though the system change five or six years ago propelled him from street level to Class 3 Superhuman. The way his powers work now (amended) will be like Lionhearts and Miss Victorys. You have a pool of points you can spread around to certain abilities or pile all into one as you see fit. Before there was a roll, possibility of a failure and having to make do with weak abilities (which might also fail with a bad roll). His abilities may still fail with the bad roll, I'm just suggesting ditching Adrenaline Surge power which temporarily boosts an ability by a random amount each round making it really useful or rubbish, roll dependent.

Basically my error was thinking that it increased your Acting Value (which is your aim, or skill) and your Effect value (which is the power level or how much damage/stuff it does). It doesn't, you only increase your Effect value so things like Weather Control and so on would be pretty much useless without great rolls. This new way (changing to a bunch of points you can allocate) is a much more sure way of giving him the boost he needs.

OOC:Firstly thank you for noticing this, and for amending accordingly. You know who Frostbite is, and how best to make that work in terms of the game system. I've always thought given my frost powers/nature it seems crazy I don't have a problem with heat (Atomica anyone!) but that is part of being the hero like Martian Manhunter. I think its easy to go for option 3 and then get a lot of points, but I don't want to be greedy, and also put myself in an obvious pitfall position anytime heat arises. I like option 4 because it also seems to fit with the 'heroic' nature of Frostbite who (a bit like Cap) is always the one willing to put his life on the line for others type of thing. So I guess option 3 or 4 as you see fit - you can use your own judgment here. I like the combination of powers I have at the moment, though I've not made much use of the higher density and strength thing...but at this level who knows maybe I'll get to?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat May 16 2020, 19:56

OOC ok here was me thinking 'the other guys will want a points boost too' but I've spent the same number of points (a 3.5x multiplier for 1575, same as Haunt and same as the existing Frostbite) so either it was really badly costed up before or ... I dunno. I've paid for Frostbot, boosted stats all over the place and given him a power boost seeing as he's very much outgunned by some of his team mates. Call it an evolution, that for now he's never needed to be at his best because Lionheart has been the big fallback for everyone who can pound the bad guys into mush and now Frosty has to up his game without his friend gone. Or something. It has me scratching my head at any rate. Take a look:

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9  - New team, old problems! Forstbot-2020-v2

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9  - New team, old problems! Frostbite-background-v2

The changes in a nutshell:

Dex +1, Str +1, Body same
Int +1, Will +3, Mind +1
Infl +1, Aura +2 Spirit +1

Powers are mostly DOWN across the board. Adrenaline surge is gone. In its place is Power reserve, the same as Lionheart and Miss Victory. You can boost those lower powers to your old levels without fear of the dice screwing you over. Power Reserve gives 10 points to add to:

(all these powers at 5 points unless noted on character sheet and can boost by up to 10 pts)
Ice Production (create swathes of ice up to 15APs which is a lot, attack with it etc, create walls, slides of super hard ice and so on)
Ice Control (move ice up to 15APs. This is not useful and has hardly ever been used but you never know.. Not legal before with Adren Surge)
Dispersal (up to 15APs enough to move through a steel vault door)
Weather Control (up to 15 which he could manage before with rolls but Adrenaline Surge would not have legally done it hence all this changing)
Energy Blast (as before not legal boosting with Adren Surge, now it is, up to 22APs! A boost of 8 points. That's massive and puts him high Class 3, low 4)
Icing (to 15, means he can punch with 15 effect value if up close and personal, which is enough to smash a tank in one hit)
Ice Animation (I think he had this before but it was useless. This time you can make an ice golem with up to 12 Dex Str and Body and 1 Infl aura spirit that follows his control. It's not massively powerful against the goons Frosty goes up against but it might soak up a hit or two before it goes down and is a pretty good hand to hand fighter in its own right).

Frosty flies faster (1000mph) and now legally has the following advantages which befit his status:

Free Access (as used on his mobile a few posts ago) to crimes scenes and so on, Rich Family/Friend (Justin St John who has staggering wealth) massive HQ with vehicles etc, the highest level of security clearance for chats with the Prime Minister, Queen etc.

Frostbot also gets tweaks but not as many. He's pretty much the same and paid for all legal and binding as a 'pet' of sorts. Expensive, mind.

Frostbite suffers a 3 point loss of his mental stats (intelligence, Will, Mind) when Frostbot leaves him to go on his adventures in computer systems etc. Basically he's smarter and mentally tougher with his computer program buddy.

See what you think. If you need any clarification on stuff let me know but as usual I'll handle all the crunchy stuff.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next