The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9 - New team, old problems!

3 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9  - New team, old problems! - Page 5 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9 - New team, old problems!

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Jun 27 2020, 09:10

Admin wrote:Battlebug turned. Frostbite looked.

There was a fire in the distance on the water...

Frostbite told Bug in no uncertain terms to stow his hormones and introduced Melody. "Good to see you, thanks for coming. Battle Bug can you get these guys ashore, Melody and I can fly so we might be better suited to trying to rescue any survivors. And your right in the water is a different story, so best we keep you off it for now. Stay in coms and watch this guy."

Frostbite indicated the downed warrior. Turning to Melody, he let BB take over and then followed her to the stricken victims of the Oil Rig.

OOC: OH uh - better see what we can do. If we can rescue the men, pluck them out, then perhaps we can get them away and fight another day. But then again...

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9  - New team, old problems! - Page 5 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9 - New team, old problems!

Post  Admin Sun Jun 28 2020, 22:38

"Wha...? Wait! How am I supposed to get these guys to shore? Which was IS shore?" shouted Battlebug.

Melody turned "I'm strong but not as strong as I'd need to be to move that raft through the water! I suppose I could push it but it would take a while..."

"I'm best put to use in a fight Boss! I... uh... well I'm not a lot of use out here." admitted BB over the wind and wave noise.

"How about... Melody gives me a lift and we go to the rig and you push the rig back? You are strong enough and fly fast enough too and can keep the ice up." suggested the youngster. "We'll get to the rig and see if we can save the thing."

Melody shrugged "He may have a point."

It felt like Battlebug was questioning Frostbites' leadership... or simply offering a suggestion.

One of the rig workers called out "Can we get to dry land please? If those... things are out here we're sitting ducks!"

Battlebug nervously looks over the lip of the iceberg and into the water. "There's *something* down there..." he said...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jun 29 2020, 22:08

Admin wrote:Battlebug nervously looks over the lip of the iceberg and into the water. "There's *something* down there..." he said...

OOC: We've got a problem haven't we, a burning oil rig is no place to deposit these men as its already the site for attacks and well burning with noxious gases. But staying where we are isn't so safe, and trying to get the crew to the shore, not much of an option either.

OK, can I freeze the oil rig so its safe to put the men on?
If not then we've got to get them ashore no matter how long it takes?
I'm not worried about Battle Bug's approach, the enthusiasm I can understand, besides which he can't help in water and can't fly. So I can see he needs/wants to help but how?

Can I get an idea of what we can do here, so I can make some sort of decision as to what might be strategically sound given the circumstance and what I can see/observe and deduce?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 30 2020, 00:02

OOC the rig you just rescued the guys from has exploded so that's gone.

You have created what is basically a raft with your ice production. You could push it through the water really slowly... or pour a few points into strength and lift the whole darn thing up then fly it to the mainland at supersonic speed...

Or create what is a floating iceberg thing with a place for the rig workers to hide out. It will melt eventually but take hours in this cold water. When Frosty creates stuff with his full power (15APs) he makes ice that is twice as tough as a vault door. Grenades won't make a scratch in this stuff. A rocket launcher wouldn't chip it. A 105mm Howitzer shell would ping off. A non nuclear cruise missile could carry enough munitions to chip a bit off.

The first atomic bomb (20APs explosion) set off over Hiroshima would do a fair bit of damage to it but probably not destroy it.

Hopefully that conveys the scale of the durability that the Ice Frostbite makes has. In a few rounds he could probably make several chunks that are 31 feet high, wide and deep. Chances are the guys under the sea could make a dent in the iceberg but they seem determined to take out the Oil Rigs.

So:

You could create an ice construct to gather the rig workers on and fly the whole thing to the mainland in about four minutes at max speed.

You can form what is an iceberg with a castle of sorts on top for the rig workers to hang tight in, but it'll be rather cold for them and they really need to get to a Doctor.

The shapes under the water (the Atlanteans) are heading towards the next rig. There is more than one of them and out here they are in their element... This won't be easy.

Melody can't really help other than to lift about one ton so you could make a rig/cradle for her to pick up and fly people back and forth from the iceberg castle thing.

Battlebug could leap to the island practically instantly, but anything non superhuman he carried would probably burn up due to friction, so it's a none starter for him.

Anyway, there's a couple of options. Admittedly you'll have to make a choice between saving the rig workers you rescued or leaving them to their fate and racing to the next rig, but hey! No one said being a good guy would be easy! There are no 'right answers' just do your best sort of thing.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jun 30 2020, 16:06

Admin wrote:You could create an ice construct to gather the rig workers on and fly the whole thing to the mainland in about four minutes at max speed. [/i]
[/color]

OOC: I had no idea I was so strong!! Go figure. Anyway, let's fly this thing to the mainland. I'll suggest Melody flies with BB to the other rig - but doesn't get involved till I get there unless they've no choice...Hmm, what is the betting that they've no choice! Anyway once the men are down, I'll head back to the other rig and join the others at top speed.

Frostbite told the others he would have to fly the men back to the mainland or all their efforts to rescue them would be for nothing. And so directed them to the next rig, but not to engage. He already had a sickening feeling that that, was an order they'd not be able to keep. But it made sense, if only both recruits were more trained, prepared, but since getting back he felt like life had got busier. Time in space flying back to where he could get home seemed like a long, long time ago now.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 30 2020, 21:32

OOC Just looking at the character sheet. Icing doesn't really do much aside from increase his defence against cold. Better off to be able to boost strength (from 10 to 20) making Frosty a real powerhouse but Density Increase will boost it from 10 to 15 is you use that. Mind you if you can boost Density increase to 15 that gives strength 25 but knocks 7 points off Dex because you're so slow and sluggish... Thoughts for another day.

Boosting his density by adding on layers of icy muscle Frostbite was suddenly built like an American Football linebacker!

"Crikey boss!" said Battlebug. "I don't even recognise you!"

It was true - the Vanguardian leader had added a foot in every direction to his height and build and was now weighing around two tons!

Telling the Rig Workers to sit down and hold onto each other he took a breath then flew underneath the iceberg and lifted the whole thing out of the water! He was clumsier in this form but still far, far more agile than an ordinary human. And far stronger/tougher too!

"I'll be as quick as I can." he said to BB and Melody. "Get to the rig and save people, don't engage the enemy!"

Melody held out a hand to Battlebug who grasped it and the pair took to the sky flying North to the next oil rig.

==========

The flight seemed to take an age. At some point Frostbite knew he'd have to figure out how to boost his speed but for now he had to keep it as fast as he could without harming the oil rig workers which meant in the region of 600mph.

It would take EIGHT minutes at that speed to get near to the islands and drop off the iceberg on the beach. Eight agonising minutes. Then at top speed it would take another 5-6 to get out there again and he knew that was a lot of time to leave two inexperienced heroes out there. Battlebug was a fierce fighter and extraordinarily powerful balanced against sheer inexperience. Melody was an unknown. New but untried. Powerful yet unsure of her limits...

Arrrgh!

=========

The wind tore at Frostbite and he considered 'pushing' his flight harder than he'd ever done.

'Failure would overstrain the ability much like an ordinary person pulling a hamstring. Not recommended.' stated Frostbot. 'The youngster has strength limits that even he does not know and is incredibly durable. So much so that even Wandafar cannot hazard a guess as to his limits. The woman is an enigma but seems willing and capable to a degree. She needs more scrutiny and possible training.'

Frostbite saw an orange glow through the wind and gloom of rain.

He pressed on, mindful of the chronometer in the top right of his vision that had counted eighteen agonising minutes to get back to the Shetlands and out again to the distant rigs. The workers had gratefully staggered off the 'berg and some had needed help. With a phone signal they'd rung for ambulances and the police and with them safe for the time being but very cold Frostbite had set out again.

Getting closer to the Oil Rig he saw signs of a fight. Smashed towers, not so much in the way of fires but some structural damage. Frostbite circled the huge structure but could see no sign of battle from up here. He'd have to go down...

OOC What defensive powers are you using here? No reason, asking for a friend *whistle*

Also what did you want to do with the Atlantean you knocked out a couple of posts ago? Leaving him with the authorities might be... not a great idea.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Jul 01 2020, 09:01

Admin wrote:OOC What defensive powers are you using here? No reason, asking for a friend *whistle*

Also what did you want to do with the Atlantean you knocked out a couple of posts ago? Leaving him with the authorities might be... not a great idea.

OOC: I drag the Atlantean with me. Whilst I have him I can use him potentially as leverage in this sorry affair to maybe call order. As to defences, if I am carrying this fella it's probably best I stay in my density form since changing back might not be advisable especially if he should wake up or anything.

Dropping down lower, Frostbite scanned the structure for signs of life, for rig workers Battle Bug or Melody...where were they, what was happening? His thoughts raced or would have had he not got a grip as he had long learned to do.

Moving in slower now, aware of the fires that would have a devastating effect on his abilities, he moved to see what was going on, and if there were any heat signature he could pick out that might be familiar.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jul 01 2020, 22:55

Lower and lower over the Oil Rig with the unconscious Atlantean in hand Frostbite was mindful of the fire and kept his distance.

Just then he saw movement - an Oil rig worker! The man looked about then ran out into the open, waving arms to be seen by the hero. "Oh thank god!" he shouted. "We need to get out of here! Men like... like HIM!" he pointed at the unconscious man in Frostbites grasp "Came in force! Half a dozen! More! They had weapons... they destroyed the life boats and helicopters... We were trying to stop a leak."

Frostbite lowered himself to the deck a safe distance from the fires. The man continued.

"We suffered an unexplained leak. Oil was spilling into the water and we were working on closing it. Our radios have been smashed. We couldn't radio for help... then those blue skinned men turned up! Their power! We were rounded up and one said something but we couldn't understand their language. We have some injured but we're ok for the most part because two people like you turned up. A boy in rags and a woman, dressed like a rainbow..."

Battlebug and Melody. "Where are they?" asked Frostbite.

"They fought. The woman was fast and blasted what sounded like music at the blue skinned men but she was effective! Then more turned up! The boy..." he shook his head. "I've never seen anything like it! So fast! Every punch he sent one or more of them flying! They were winning..."

"Then several blue men grabbed some of my co workers and threatened to kill them. The young man and the woman spoke to each other then surrendered."

"Where are they now!" insisted Frostbite.

"Down there." said the worker, pointing at the rolling waves and the ocean depths...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jul 02 2020, 08:28

Admin wrote:"Down there." said the worker, pointing at the rolling waves and the ocean depths...

"Are there any more of you? He shouted across the storm and turmoil of the now battered rig?"

OOC: OK I am going to rescue whoever remains if I can also hang onto our Atlantean then I will. My thinking is that I get him to wake up and tell me what is going on, what they are up to and how I can get my friends back? I might need to borrow some breathing gear, or ask if Wandafar has Thunderbird 4 available ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jul 02 2020, 10:43

"There are... 43 of us. Some are on shore leave!" shouted the man over the roar of the wind.

43. Frostbite had rescued about half that from the other rig.

He started calling out for the other workers to come out and they all started to gather on the platform. The wind started to pick up again and some of the workers were trying to put out the various small fires on the rig.

"We can't just leave the place..." said the worker. "But... we can't fight those guys. Super, like you. We're just ordinary folks!"

He moved to the edge of the rig and looked down. A pool of spreading darkness below the rig indicated oil was leaking out...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jul 02 2020, 13:46

Admin wrote:"There are... 43 of us. Some are on shore leave!" shouted the man over the roar of the wind.

43. Frostbite had rescued about half that from the other rig.

He started calling out for the other workers to come out and they all started to gather on the platform. The wind started to pick up again and some of the workers were trying to put out the various small fires on the rig.

"We can't just leave the place..." said the worker. "But... we can't fight those guys. Super, like you. We're just ordinary folks!"

He moved to the edge of the rig and looked down. A pool of spreading darkness below the rig indicated oil was leaking out...

Frostbite shouted out, "Is there any way we can plug the leak, do you have equipment a sub or something we can use?"

It chaffed at him all the while he had to sort this out, Melody and Battle Bug were who knows where having who knows what. It reminded him of his old team and there being captured when they went into the Microverse. He hoped that things wouldn't end up that way again. There was also the additional problem of the Atlantean as well. If he got near the water no doubt he would revive, and that would spell trouble and even less opportunity for Frostbite to have the means to bargain.

But the men, the rig, they could not do this without help? What on earth was this all about, what could these Atlantean gain by polluting the waters they relied on so much?

OOC: OK first things first, plug the leak. If possible.
Second another ice sheet to transport the men back, and then one hopes some sort of clue as to how to follow the others beneath the waves.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jul 03 2020, 11:44

Frostbot spoke up. 'The freezing point of oil is -40 to -60 degrees Farenheit. Whilst you have never taken the time to fully measure your limits which is an oversight that you and Wandafar should address, I would project your outer limit of cold generation to be somewhere around -10 THOUSAND degrees Farenheit, possibly more if you pushed your abilities.'

Frostbite blinked. Joseph Rigdon was an American from a small town in the US born around twenty years before world war II. He'd been in this modern world for only a couple of years but superheroics were a way of life for him. Nonetheless even he could be amazed at some of the abilities he possessed. Without testing or measuring himself, when Frostbot came out with hard facts and numbers it did give quite the surprise.

OOC Compared to his Golden Heroes start, Frostbite is the equivalent power level of ... Dr Manhattan. If you don't know him, basically he could swat Superman like a flea.

Switching his internal energies to Ice Production he turned and pointed a hand at the widening oil slick under the rig. In an instant he blasted and the oil froze solid, the ice spreading outwards and around the rig... and it kept spreading. He kept pouring it on and on with the Rig workers gasping in amazement as an iceberg kept spreading outwards in every direction.

After a couple of minutes the place was a winter wonderland, and quite cold! The Rig workers were used to the cold and coated up but even so they were stood on a rig in the middle of a small glacier.

"You ever want to earn some money you could do this to help engineering projects around the world!" gasped one. Another said "You could spend a week in the Arctic and fix a lot of the problems for the wildlife there." said another.

Frostbite turned to the Oil Rig and formed what was essentially a 50 bench seat sled carved from ice. He was no artist so it was functional rather than aesthetic but with the addition of a roof and front/back sheet ice as windows it was serviceable as transportation. "WOW!" shouted one as the others looked about it then got on. All of this took time but eventually everyone had gathered what personal effects were important, made all safety systems secure and the rig in a condition that meant it could seen be restarted with some basic repairs.

Just then one of the men started and pointed at the blue skinned guy on the rig deck. He was waking up!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jul 03 2020, 17:15

Admin wrote:Just then one of the men started and pointed at the blue-skinned guy on the rig deck. He was waking up!

Frostbite was just considering the limits and size of his abilities which just seemed to keep growing more and more considerable. But with the men's shout, he didn't have time to give it any further thought. Turning the Atlantean he could imagine both considerable depth and cold were likely to not bother him. But what he needed right now was a friend, or at least an ally. He didn't trust the Atlantean further than, in his pre-super-powered day he could throw him. So instead he stood him up and iced his feet to the deck and provided a seat for him to sit back on.

"Atlantean, wake up." He said not too unkindly. But nonetheless, he had a keen eye on him for any tricks him might try to play.

"Atlantean, what on earth, or under the seven seas is going on? Why, of all times are you now seeking to attack these oil rigs and these men? Help me and I will help you?"

Frostbite was ready, for a sudden attack, if the man was a fanatic and willing to die for his cause or if he was ready to be compliant though not naive enough to believe just because he answered questions he wasn't also planning for Frostbite to lower his guard so he could use that moment to attack or escape.

OOC: OK so its let's play 20 questions time I think. I know so little of what has begun this and what is going on with them, that that is where i really need to start, listening and not assuming.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jul 06 2020, 06:55

The Atlantean looks about, then starts forward before sagging back into the chair, feet frozen.

"What...?" he splutters.

Frostbot notes 'the man is wearing a device which translates his thoughts into speech we can understand. Advanced technology.'

Looking about he frowns and then at Frostbite. "I will answer no questions. Your kind pollute the seas and are our enemies. Now that we have been... enhanced... we have the power to fight back against the surface world! In the past your 'super humans' have kept the sea people down. Now with our ADVENT allies we can fight back, and we shall - when the process is completed - use our maginified abilities to crush the surface world and rule the seas once more!"

Frostbot speaks up to Frostbite again 'Magnified... ADVENT have somehow applied a process to empower the Atlanteans and dramatically increase their power levels. Such a process must have some kind of cost or detriment if it is applied without proper testing or standards. We know that ADVENT do not care for the pawns they empower and use against us. Such a situation may apply to the Atlanteans. They are displaying power levels that are far in excess of what little we know of them.'

"What are you talking about?" said a Rig worker "Our systems were tight and sealed until they were sabotaged by YOU!"

"What? We did not sabotage them. We sensed the distress from the fish and sea animals and responded! We shall destroy ALL of your rigs, then take on the task of sinking your fishing vessels and smashing the great tankers that plough through our seas! We shall rise! Atlantis shall be the predominat world power again!" said the Atlantean.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jul 06 2020, 22:01

Admin wrote:"What are you talking about?" said a Rig worker "Our systems were tight and sealed until they were sabotaged by YOU!"

"What? We did not sabotage them. We sensed the distress from the fish and sea animals and responded! We shall destroy ALL of your rigs, then take on the task of sinking your fishing vessels and smashing the great tankers that plough through our seas! We shall rise! Atlantis shall be the predominat world power again!" said the Atlantean.

So turning to the Atlantean Frostbite said, "So you were given untested powers, to combat a threat that didn't exist by a group who look to be using you for their own ends." And turning to the Rig Worker, "And you guys were attacked in an unprovoked attack, which was brought on by an oil leak from the rigs that are protected so they don't leak and the fish and undersea life isn't harmed."

Frostbite wasn't much of theatrics but the absurdity of they faced would have made him laugh if it wasn't for the fact that real lives were in danger and all along Advent were once again playing the puppet masters. "So who do we know that might want to take a perfectly good rig, and make it spill oil into the ocean, and then give powers to the people who might be so offended and upset by this human degradation of their undersea kingdom that the offer of enhanced powers to strike back without checking to see what they'd been told was actually what they'd been told. And furthermore that they hadn't attacked the people who could help them whilst all the more falling into the power of those who have suddenly become so benevolent an ally. Who stands to gain out of a war between the undersea kingdoms and the surface world...can anyone guess?"

Frostbite turned away, he was fuming once again Advent had tentacle-like slithered its way into another situation manipulating and causing untold harm and likely wanton suffering when the bright and charming gifts they pretend to hand over so benevolently would turn out to be anything but.

Turning back the Atlantean Frostbite now in more control of his temper said, "So are you in the habit of taking evidence from strangers, from another world, who so far seem to be doing their darndest to control the surface and in accepting their oh so generous offer, did you not think that the people who could give such power, must wield it for a reason. Why give it to you when they could just wipe out the nations. Oh no, much easier to get rid of your opposition by letting them kill each other than press the kill switch or some such when the fighting was all but done and resistance minimal. I think you've hatched a Coocoo my friend. You've got a parasite in your beloved Atlantean kingdom and I suspect and they are slowly tightening their grip on you by blinding you with hate and the power to exact undeserved revenge. What have you to say for yourself?"

Frostbite stood back, wondering what the man could say, was he so far gone in his anger that he wouldn't be able to listen to reason? In any case, whether he listened or not, Frostbite was intent on going down to the Atlantean kingdom, and this time sorting this out for good.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jul 06 2020, 23:51

The Atlantean frowned. "Many of your words... have no meaning to me. Cuckoo?"

Then he added "It does seem... convenient that ADVENT offered us their help to make us ... more. My Queen turned their offer down. We want nothing from the surface world save that our seas be unmolested and a safe place to rebuild our smashed civilisation. Then there were problems. Overfishing, pollution, the destruction of natural habitats... We tried our best to ignore it, to move on. Finally our people rose up against the Queen, led by Councillor Ch'Dann. I don't understand - he was always the Queens adviser, stating the need for peace and that we could not fight against the surface world with all your super humans. Then he seemed to change and presented the ADVENT offer again with a demonstration - he was stronger and faster than he had any right to be! The Queen finally relented when an Oil Rig spilled its contents into the ocean and so the process was begin. I am faster and stronger now than... urk!"

He clutched at his throat and started to gasp, turning even bluer than before if it was possible!

"What's happening to him?" asked one of the Rig workers.

Frostbot stated 'Asphyxiation. The Atlantean must have been out of the water for an hour or more by now. He will die if not returned to the sea.'
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jul 07 2020, 13:06

Admin wrote:"What's happening to him?" asked one of the Rig workers.

Frostbot stated 'Asphyxiation. The Atlantean must have been out of the water for an hour or more by now. He will die if not returned to the sea.'

Grabbing the Atlantean, Frostbite freed him from his ice imprisonment and said, "I hope to be back, but if not you'd best let the UK Champions and Justin St John's know what took place here." Frostbite was going to add a certain you pilot who brought him here. But then thought how could he say anything by way of a message and dismissed it out of hand. And with the writhing Atlantean in arm, he dove into the sea.

OOC: I know I can't survive under here, but I am hoping he has a means by which I can. Assuming, of course, I've not just signed my death warrant but had to move things along somehow. Getting the sub and all seemed like it would take too long for him and I don't want him to 'escape' or simply run off on me.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jul 07 2020, 13:22

Frostbot stated 'You have a limited air supply. I shall provide a countdown to your previous known limit for survival in hostile environments. A number popped up stating 2h 13m'

Plunging into the water with the Atlantean in hand Frostbite could see various heat sources fluttering below belonging to fish and sea creatures. The Atlantean relaxed in his grip and waited. Then he pointed up, to the surface.

A moment later with the pair treading water in the violent seas, the Atlantean said "You have my word of honour that I shall not attempt to escape nor to trap or attack you in any way. Furthermore I shall try to provide safe passage for you to our city undersea. If you need a means to breathe, we have used a method in the past but you will have to trust me whilst I retrieve it. There is a plant that lives in the sea bottom and, once digested, provides the air breathing recipient a means of breathing and seeing under the water for a limited time of around 12 hours. You cannot breathe air in that time however."

That would mean 12 hours under the sea!

"I feel you have ... opened my eyes.  My Queen may think so too. It is all too ... convenient for Advent to offer their aid and then for us to need that aid within days to mount an attack on what we thought were the evil surface dwelling ways. There are many problems we suffer from thanks to the overfishing of the seas and pollution but in this case it seems to me that ADVENT are wholly responsible for the conflict between us." he shook his head. "We were stoked up, the fires of our anger fanned by the councillor Ch'Dann and even our Queen who seeks peaceful coexistence was shocked by the apparent disregard of the surface dwellers with the pollution. One rig after another? We have blinded by anger and played for fools. My name is AR'Gann, third warrior of 100. Though I am not a general I am respected in my cohort and some I feel will listen. Will you wait for me whilst I retrieve the plant? I hope my compatriots who have taken your friends have applied the plant to them otherwise they may drown."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jul 07 2020, 14:18

Admin wrote:Frostbot stated 'You have a limited air supply. I shall provide a countdown to your previous known limit for survival in hostile environments. A number popped up stating 2h 13m'

"I feel you have ... opened my eyes.  My Queen may think so too. It is all too ... convenient for Advent to offer their aid and then for us to need that aid within days to mount an attack on what we thought were the evil surface dwelling ways. There are many problems we suffer from thanks to the overfishing of the seas and pollution but in this case it seems to me that ADVENT are wholly responsible for the conflict between us." he shook his head. "We were stoked up, the fires of our anger fanned by the councillor Ch'Dann and even our Queen who seeks peaceful coexistence was shocked by the apparent disregard of the surface dwellers with the pollution. One rig after another? We have blinded by anger and played for fools. My name is AR'Gann, third warrior of 100. Though I am not a general I am respected in my cohort and some I feel will listen. Will you wait for me whilst I retrieve the plant? I hope my compatriots who have taken your friends have applied the plant to them otherwise they may drown."

Frostbite said that he would wait, and thanked AR'Gann for being courageous the choice isn't an easy one. But doing the right thing never is. Frostbite signalled to the rig crew and explained he'd be gone for some time, but if after 12 hours no word came to send the message.

And with that, he waited oblivious to the cold for AR'Gann to return.

OOC: Looks like we've bought some time and are going on an adventure...

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jul 07 2020, 15:30

"We'll ... stay on the rig I guess then, until help arrives." shouted one of the workers.

Frostbite used his power of flight to 'hover' in the water. He would be able to effectively fly under the water but at a much reduced rate. He would react slower, and the Atlanteans would be far harder to strike as they would be in their natural element. It might be an idea to avoid combat in that case...

He waited a minute... two... Just as he thought AR'Gann wasn't returning the Atlantean emerged a dozen of so feet away. "It seems ouor crops are affected by the pollution." He held up a clump of what looked to be glowing blue seaweed. "Your scientists will have no name for this and we are careful to monitor our stocks, for this is what we eat which makes us a different species of what you called Human. Over time our ancestors gained the ability to survive underwater thanks to this, and that includes evolving the strength to survive at great depths. However the Advent 'treatment' has evolved us again, practically overnight."

'That can't be good.' said Frostbot. 'ADVENT may have accelerated the natural progress of the Atlantean species by thousands of years near instantly. Their lifespan, their immunity to certain diseases, all manner of complications may have arisen! WANDAFAR is the one to speak to on these matters.'

AR'Gann passed the blue weed over. "Using it once will not affect you other than to... what are the words... allow you to survive the crushing depths of the sea and breathe the limited oxygen in the water. You will also be able to see better in the depths where there is no light. As mentioned though once imbibed you must stay in the water for twelve hours. If you emerge before then you may suffer from your bodies ability to drag too much oxygen in. I am a warrior, I do not know the science behind it."

=========

Minutes later having eaten the sour tasting weed Frostbite ducked his head under the water.

Already his eyes had changed, and he could see far further in the gloom than before. He could still see with his thermal vision and the points of red in the dark blue indicated sea creatures.

Declining the proferred hand of AR'Gann Frostbite used his flight at a reduced rate to try to keep up. He struggled and the warrior turned to wait as the hero flew downwards.

The Atlantean turned and gestured with what seemed to be a form of sign language but Frostbite couldn't understand. Instead he waved to follow and kept on downwards. The light from his chestplate gave off an eerie blue glow... as did the occasional patch of blue seaweed. That lit up an area below.

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9  - New team, old problems! - Page 5 Atlantis

What looked to be an ancient sunken city lay below. Suddenly three Atlanteans broke from the shadows o fhte depths and started soaring up at speed towards Frostbite, their tridents levelled!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jul 07 2020, 18:03

Admin wrote:"We'll ... stay on the rig I guess then, until help arrives." shouted one of the workers.

What looked to be an ancient sunken city lay below. Suddenly three Atlanteans broke from the shadows of the depths and started soaring up at speed towards Frostbite, their tridents levelled!

Frostbite was ready to disperse himself if need be, as fighting underwater was not going to be his preferred option. So far AR'Gann had not betrayed the honour he had extended. And Frostbite had no reason to believe the proud warrior would allow someone under his protection to suffer harm. But still, it paid to be wary.

Frostbite made no moves other than to let AR'Gann explain, even if that meant for the sake of those there that it included enforced restraint. In which case, within reason, Frostbite was willing to go along so as to create a space for him to go meet with the Queen and her advisors to get and possibly offer council.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jul 07 2020, 19:33

AR'Gann seemed to be signing furiously and at speed, then darted this way and that to block off the three armed Atlanteans even though he had no trident himself!

Finally it seemed they relented, and they took up a position around and behind Frostbite though at a respectable distance.

They flowed over the ruins which had been a town of some size at one point, now sunken beneath the waves. The only light came from the glowing seaweed which gave everything a pale blue glow much as Frostbites chestplate would.

Up and around a ridge, ignoring a shark that sailed by and shoals of fish...

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9  - New team, old problems! - Page 5 Atlantis-1

The city was far larger than Frostbite expected to see. Was this the fabled city of Atlantis or simply another dwelling? Whatever it was, there were too many Atlanteans to count who were swimming around. Many were armed, and still others came to the city dragging baskets of blue seaweed, fish, crabs and others sea creatures behind them.

Another group of guards, dressed in shining armour, joined them. There were ten around Frostbite now, and they continued to speak in fast signing gestures.

Finally Frostbite was led through the city drawing glances from blue skinned natives. Men, women and children. Many went without clothes, others wearing wisps of cloth and some wore armour. A strange underwater cart drawn by a pair of huge sharks on a harness whisked past!

To one of the buildings he was led, and through a door. Strangely enough many of the buildings had windows and doors which seemed pointless... until he stepped into a wide circular chamber and through a 'bubble' of silver following AR'Gann... and into air!

Immediately Frostbite gasped, clutching his throat then he calmed down. He would survive for a couple of hours out of water. AR'Gann moved to a wall, grabbed a couple of face masks and handed one over whilst he put one on. They were full of water from a tank but allowed normal speech.

"Sometimes it is faster to speak as the air dwellers do. Lazy perhaps, but Rulers tend to get lazy over time. Not that that applies to our Queen. Come." he said, leading the way up steps to where four guards with Tridents stood. They stepped aside and AR'Gann led into a corridor. Down the end, after a row of what appeared to be cells, he turned. "I am sorry, but you must wait here whilst I petition the Queen for an audience."

He opened a door... to where MELODY and BATTLEBUG (in a badly tattered and barely clothed state) were sat with masks on!

"BOSS!" cried the youngster getting up and rushing over to clasp a hand whilst Meldoy got up. The cell was bare of anything - not even a bench to sit on. "We had to surrender when more turned up and threatened to kill Oil Rig Workers! Did they get you too?"

"I shall return soon I hope." said AR'Gann.

"I never imagined ... all this." said Melody in her mask.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jul 07 2020, 21:24

Admin wrote:["I shall return soon I hope." said AR'Gann.

"I never imagined ... all this." said Melody in her mask.

After nodding his thanks to AR'Gann, Frostbite turned to the others "Are you both OK, are you injured or hurt at all?"

Looking them both over the make sure that they were indeed intact. He turned to Battlebug first and gave him a warm smile, "You both did the right thing, I'm sorry when we got divided...well no decision you make in the heat of a fight is without any risk."

Turning back to Melody he said, "We have seen a thing or two in this world and beyond. And my hope is that as we get through this, we will be able to train you to be better equipped for the future where things like this, whilst not commonplace, aren't so out of the ordinary. But don't be fooled training is like being given a back of tools, you still have to learn how to use them and experience is one of the best classrooms to learn in. Sadly not so forgiving with mistakes, which is why its good to be part of a team. Splitting up like that was regrettable, had we been together we might have been able to push them back. But then again, look where it brought us. AR'Gann sees that the gaining of their powers, their being advance in evolutionary terms overnight has come at a very convenient time. HE is aware that his people might well have been played as much as the Oil Rig workers. A sort of bigger version of what we saw in Edinburgh."

Frostbite was content to rest of a moment using his powers he created a bench, then looked slightly sorry that it would be somewhat uncomfortable as it was so cold. But he sat down content to let the others do the talking as he tried to figure out what they'd do next.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jul 08 2020, 18:34

"We can escape from this place at any time..." said Battlebug. "We still have our powers, but they made it clear that any attempt to do so would result in the deaths of Oil Rig workers! these sleazebags!"

Melody added "These masks they put on us they said were the only things keeping us alive. I had no idea that my body could withstand the pressure of the ocean depths so that's a thing..."

Battlebug muttered "What now Boss? Do you have a plan to get us AND the Oil Rig workers out of here?"

Frostbite was interrupted by marching boots and the trio turned to the barred/locked door.

The New Vanguard! Frostbite Issue #9  - New team, old problems! - Page 5 Attuma

Flanked by a dozen Atlanteans a hulking great Atlantean in different armour to the others snarled and sneered. He nodded at the door and one of the guards opened it. Stepping inside by ducking under the door he towered over the trio.

"The traitor AR'Gann is being questioned." he growled. "I am General GR'Axxus. For the entertainment of the Councillor and the senate you will fight in the arena. If you defeat me you will go free and secure the release of the hostages. Failure will mean I take on the next of your number. If all three of you fail any survivors shall have their masks ripped off and the prisoners shall be exposed to the ocean depths. Here WE are the law. I have told the Council that this is a test that must be passed if we are to proceed with phase two of our plan to restore Atlantis as the dominant force on this world!"

Battlebug jumped up "Lemme at 'im boss! He don't scare me!"

Melody looked uncertain "Who is to say they will keep their word?"

Graxxus snarled "You doubt me woman? We are an equal society. When I face you I can promise no mercy!" he growled.

What had happened to AR'Gann? With this brute in charge of the army he suspected the honourable Atlantean was as much a prisoner as Frostbite and the others were! There was no mention of the Queen either...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jul 09 2020, 13:03

Admin wrote:"The traitor AR'Gann is being questioned." he growled. "I am General GR'Axxus. For the entertainment of the Councillor and the senate you will fight in the arena. If you defeat me you will go free and secure the release of the hostages. Failure will mean I take on the next of your number. If all three of you fail any survivors shall have their masks ripped off and the prisoners shall be exposed to the ocean depths. Here WE are the law. I have told the Council that this is a test that must be passed if we are to proceed with phase two of our plan to restore Atlantis as the dominant force on this world!"

Waving back the Battlebug, Frostbite imposed himself as best he could before the brute beast that was the general. He spoke low and slow but so that the others could hear. "We'll go easy on you General, I could wipe the floor with you by letting Battle Bug here show you a thing or two, and I've no doubt Melody could sing you into oblivion, but instead I think we won't sully our hands and you get me instead. However, on one condition, if I win I want an audience with the Queen and for AR'Gann to join us. As a man of your word, with honour at stake, I am sure you will agree to my terms. You get your fight, you get to prove yourself unless we win!"

Frostbite was hoping that he'd bait the man whose pride seemed to fit like old armour over his ego. Both of which struggled to fit in the small cell they were made to sit in. Frostbite didn't doubt that the general was a canny fighter and a fearful opponent, but if they were to show their strength in order to gain respect, he would be more than willing if it would be the opening overture in the diplomatic discussion that could be taken seriously.

Waiting for his response, Frostbite took a step back and smiled at his friends, pleased to be serving alongside them even if this wasn't quite how he intended it to go down.

OOC: Ok waiting on the Gen for his response. When he has gone I'll reassure my friends, I want to hold BB back as his power is considerable but I want them to underestimate him. But also when it comes to squaring up, if he has a catastrophic burnout...so he is the backup option with Melody I hope not needing to be called on unless we all fail massively.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next