The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #8 - Welcome to the Major League!

3 posters

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #8 - Welcome to the Major League! - Page 3 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #8 - Welcome to the Major League!

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Mar 18 2020, 18:36

Admin wrote:"I failed. Dad died and I was injured again. In desperation and despair, I overdosed on Dad's cure and... it changed me. I fight crime and injustice now where I can to repay Dad and keep looking for the people who led to his death. They are out there, and I'll find them. For now? I'm at loose ends and thought I'd apply for these guys. You?"

Lionheart looked sympathetically at her, or at least that is what his face conveyed. Having been grown in a vat he knew some of the finer emotions still escaped him sometimes. He hoped that having been around the team as long as he had was making a difference, but who knew. For all, he knew Combat Queen might think he had a mild case of indigestion. So thinking about her question, Lionheart sought to deflect any social awkwardness by 'matter of factly' explaining some of his stories. He tried to get on with it, after all since coming to this time in pursuit of Saladin and then merging with him, it was one heck of a story. With many a twist and turn, not least of all his return to earth. He skipped over parts about gaining Saladin's powers and being merged with him, there was something best kept to oneself - including harbouring a homicidal maniac within a submerged from in yourself.

Turning back to Combat Queen, he added, "I'm sorry to hear about those who caused you so much pain. I can't help but feel as you do and want to bring such people to justice. Should we get the chance, I'd be happy to help if the opportunity arises in the future."

Although social nuance was a little left of his expertise, Lionheart still knew how to be a little charming and so he offered the last comment with a disarming smile before turning away to wonder how Thunder Woman and her contacts were getting on releasing the strongbox.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #8 - Welcome to the Major League! - Page 3 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #8 - Welcome to the Major League!

Post  Admin Wed Mar 18 2020, 19:23

The two compared notes on crime fighting and their various successes and failures.

Lionheart had been much weaker than his current incarnation when he'd arrived in this era and all the time hopping, crazy situations and the merging with Saladin, his life long enemy, had made him the man he was today.

Combat Queen was relating the story of how she was lured into a trap and barely escaped after a severe beating when the comms opened up again and Thunder Woman replied "Told you it would be quick! Duplex pulled strings. Lionheart, if you can get in there without being seen by the cameras or any of the mob goons who might be watching the place, it would be great. See the manager, he's waiting at the vault. He sounded nervous so go easy on him!"

Lionheart nodded, then wooooshed off at ultra speed and arrived a heartbeat later in the managers office with a draft of air that sent papers fluttering! They were gathered a fraction of a heartbeat later and the bank manager, a man in his late fifties, gaped at the man in front of him. "Are you... uh... you know? What's the password?"

Hmmm.

OOC Lionheart Int 9 + Roll(2d12)+0: 5,5,+0 Total:10 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 11,6,+0 Total:27 (36) vs
OV7 + Roll(2d12)+0: 5,9,+0 Total:14 (21)

+5 EV (to 14) vs RV7 = 7 RAPs

"Duplex!" declared Lionheart.

The manager breathed a sigh of relief and advised Lionheart to follow.

Within minutes and with a security guard in tow doors were locked and unlocked and finally a safe deposit box was opened revealing a number of papers and a box. That was opened and inside was a necklace with a fabulous sapphire set into it!

"You can't take this but our mutual contact suggested you somehow memorise the appearance and ... fashion a duplicate?" asked the manager.

'Easy'
suggested Saladin inside Lionhearts head. 'At speed you can craft a forgery capable of fooling anyone. If only you knew a homicidal maniac submerged within yourself who could give you a hand.'

The manager added. "If you can make a copy somehow at the speed with which you move then I suppose I can wait here while you gather the materials and come back to make it, using this as a copy?"

Lionheart had never done anything like this before. Dare he trust Saladin to the task...?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Mar 19 2020, 19:30

Admin wrote:The manager added. "If you can make a copy somehow at the speed with which you move then I suppose I can wait here while you gather the materials and come back to make it, using this as a copy?"

Lionheart had never done anything like this before. Dare he trust Saladin to the task...?

OOC: Oh you little monkey...of all the ways to get me to take another peek at Saladin. Oh, the genie and the bottle comes to mind...

Lionheart momentarily gave Saladin a 'look' and spoke faster than words in the language of thought. 'What would convince you to do what needs to be done and not just go take the original let alone, completely upend this time and try to get going on a plan and purpose of your own?'

Truth be told, Lionheart feared that if Saladin was 'out' getting him back would possible nigh on impossible. Could he, alone without Saladin's effort forge a fake? His skills as a thief were formidable, but forgery, art, jewellery making and at speed? The truth was if this was the only route to go, he owed it to Combat Queen to let her know the score.

Turning to the manager he spoke quickly before again disappearing "I've got to make some preparations if we are going to go for a copy, speak to Duplex and the others...I'll be back!" and as suddenly as he was there, he was again gone.

Outside he explained to Combat Queen the situation, "I have a counterpart, an enemy the one whom I came back to find. Somehow we merge, together we are greater than the sum of our parts. I am not sure I have the means to make a fake, to the degree that it would fool an expert. He does, or at least he says he does. But imagine my power in the hands of an unscrupulous cold killer and that about sums up our problem. I think we ought to bring in Thunder Woman, if this goes south, she deserves to know about the 'genie in the bottle'. Who knows it makes me ineligible and if so, well its been fun. But I'd still like to wrap this up if we can. What do you think?"

OOC: Ok so having told Combat Queen about Saladin and the copy, I will patch into Thunder Woman and explain the situation, even if she goes for it Lionheart/Saladin would need resources, to manufacture a copy. Lionheart will explain Saladin isn't stupid and totally deadly, he will bide his time but will try whatever he can to stay on the outside and keep me within. She should know that.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Mar 21 2020, 07:40

Combat Queen raised an eyebrow. "Wow. Dark secret, much!" she said, pondering and cupping her chin as she thought.

She relayed the information to Thunder Woman. They waited a few moments then there was a WOOOSH of air and she landed gently after drifting down the last few feet. "Coming in at speed means a hop into space then slowing as you get closer to cities. I'm sure you know about that." she said with a nod at Lionheart.

"You're too useful to simply discard because of the way your powers operate." she stated. "Therefore I'll watch out for you. Is there some... test... or way to see if you are the real you? If this evil counterpart stays in charge then..." she spread her hands. "I suppose I could use my mental powers but you'd have to lower that field of yours. I can probably get through but it would be like driving a semi truck through a steel wall. It might get through but both of us would be hurt."

Leave himself vulnerable?

'Don't do it!' declared Saladin. 'I'll... behave. But you will OWE me...'

Combat Queen shrugged. "I don't know if I can help in any way and this kind of work isn't usually my... thing... but in a way it's refreshing. Punching bad guys is soooo satisfying but when there's no one to hit I want to be more useful than someone who stands round looking tough. I'm up for it."

Thunder Woman shrugs. "You've been honest, the decision is yours." she says to Lionheart.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Mar 21 2020, 10:53

Admin wrote:'Don't do it!' declared Saladin. 'I'll... behave. But you will OWE me...'

Combat Queen shrugged. "I don't know if I can help in any way and this kind of work isn't usually my... thing... but in a way it's refreshing. Punching bad guys is soooo satisfying but when there's no one to hit I want to be more useful than someone who stands round looking tough. I'm up for it."

Thunder Woman shrugs. "You've been honest, the decision is yours." she says to Lionheart.

Lionheart wrote down a number, adding "ask anyone there about me, but especially Frostbite, he knows me as well as anyone, he'll know what to tell you to verify it's me. I wouldn't do this ordinarily you understand, but extraordinary circumstances I guess..."

Lionheart then nodded to the two ladies and went over to one side, sat down quietly to think and talk with his 'counterpart'

"Right this is how its going to be. I'll set you free but you heard them, they would rather drive a lorry over me than let you have an upper hand. We're playing in the big leagues now so you need to be mindful and not arrogant enough to presume you can have your own way here. Remember this is a far better deal, living within me as we are than either what you would have got or incarceration in a prison."

With that Richard King, surrendered control, one by one taking down the restraints necessary to keep Saladin in check. It wasn't easy his mental defences were thorough they had to be, so it took what seemed like an age, but in fact, proved to be mere moments before Saladin returned in Richard King's body.

OOC: Ok so let's get this copy made and try and put the genie back into the bottle, although I suspect he'll want to stay out for the deal. Just to say that I am not interested in playing a bad guy, Saladin or otherwise, so if you want to NPC him and have me do stuff from within, that is good with me.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Mar 21 2020, 16:00

Saladin flexed his hands and grinned. "Ladies." he said, smiling at the pair of heroines.

"Oh he's changed." muttered Combat Queen.

"Now look..." started Thunder Woman...

"Hold that thought!" cackled Saladin. Then he vanished!

"WAIT!" shouted Combat Queen ... to thin air.

Thunder Woman looked about. "Well I guess he'll be easy to track. His power is such that..."

WOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSHHHHHH!!!!!

In a swirl of dust and debris Saladin arrived back!

"Don't ask, and I won't have to lie to you ladies..." he said as he laid out an array of tools and materials including jewellery and smelting implements.

"Now just hold on a minute, you can't go round stea..." said Combat Queen moving forward. Saladin vanished and appeared behind her!

"HE is a better policeman, straight as the day is long! Did he tell you who I was? Secret Police, soldier... assassin. Government 'go to' guy. I am the yang to his ying. He needs me as much as I need him. Together, our power, our potential..." he hissed in Combat Queens ear. She swung...

At fresh air!

He stood near Thunder Woman, appraising her. The two shared a knowing look. "You may have the edge in power but I don't have lines to cross. I'm already straddling them. If it comes down to it you need to be certain you can take me otherwise... "he grinned but there was no humour in it. "Let's just say if it were up to me I wouldn't mess about with this stuff..." he said with a wave at all he'd gathered.

"I'd just beat the guy to within an inch of his life and hospitalise everyone in his organisation. No messing about." he said with a slight accent to his voice. "But HE wants something, and sometime soon, I'll want something back. And this?"

He moved, a blur of motion. He rubbed his hands together so fast and generated so much heat that the gold melted into the mould he'd made at ultra speed by zipping into and out of the bank.

OOC int 9 + Thief 5 extra dice Roll(7d12)+0: 5,4,9,8,7,7,7,+0 Total: 14 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 1,11,+0 Total:26 (33) vs
OV 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 11,8,+0 Total:19 (29)

+3 EV (to 12) vs RV10 = 2 RAPs. good enough.

"Not perfect" he said as the liquid metal set. "But good enough to fool the mark. With more time and the right... "he looked about in the alley "Resources, I'd have it indistinguishable from the original. For our purposes, it should suit."

He stood, danging the priceless jewellery from a finger and tossed it to Combat Queen who snatched it out of the air like a striking cobra. "I'll take my leave. Tell HIM that my expertise does not come cheap, and there is always a price to pay. He'll pay it, because he is a man of honour. As I am, in my own way and on my own terms."

He stared at Thunder Woman. "Perhaps one day we'll find out. Who knows? You have a reputation as the top dog, but there's only one way to fall when you're at the to..."

"Uhhh." said Lionheart. He blinked, swayed then looked about. With Saladin fully in charge he'd been able to observe but only as if through fog from a distance and hadn't caught much of what was said.

Combat Queen set a light hand on his shoulder. "Lionheart?" He looked up and grinned. "Yeah. This is him."

Thunder Woman didn't say anything. Instead she shivered, as if someone were walking on her grave. She'd seen, or sensed ... something.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Mar 22 2020, 18:14

Admin wrote:Thunder Woman didn't say anything. Instead she shivered, as if someone were walking on her grave. She'd seen, or sensed ... something.

Lionheart gave a knowing look at both ladies, it meant something different to them both and added with a sense of bitterness, he's a real piece of work right..."

Looking at the work he had to say, even given his skills Saladin did make a good job, good enough he had to hope. But it remained to be seen if it was going to pass muster with the 'mark' as Saladin said. "Right I think we've wasted enough time, sorry to call you out on this Thunder Woman, but so far this case has been nothing but complex. Unlikely that we are going to see that change this side of a resolution. Right you ready to go? " He said to Combat Queen, before giving her the necklace, scooping her up and moments later standing again at the compound gate.

"Helloooooo, wakey, wakey, one special delivery ready to go...can we move this along now people...?" He said into the microphone playing up the sarcastic Brit to the max.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Mar 23 2020, 15:12

The gate opened and the pair headed up the path to the mansion where a goon waited at the open door.

"That's far enough. Gimme the goods an wait here." he said with a waiting hand, the other inside his jacket pocket.

"Don't mess us about." growled Combat Queen. "If you try any funny business I'll set my man loose on this place!"

The goon paled and nodded. "ok, ok." he took the necklace and went inside.

Minutes passed. Aware that cameras were watching and listening in the pair remained silent but kept the illusion of being rough criminals by scowling a lot.

The door opened again. "The boss'll see ya now. I... uh.. need ta frisk ya."

Combat Queen muttered "Watch your hands."

After that the pair were led through the mansion to a garden at the back where Mario Carboni was reclining on a lounger sipping a drink. Mr Fenwick was beside him and several other goons were dotted about the grounds, all armed. There was also another man of athletic build, short cropped hair and he looked like he could handle himself. He was sat at a table a few metres away from Carboni.

"So, you two are supers, an' lookin fer work? I'm gettin that necklace checked out but I gotta say I'm impressed. I got people watchin' th' bank and they say twinkle toes here just went in and out an hey presto. Well I take things real serious an that includes security. You two gotta prove yerselves again, like everyone else who works fer me. This time though, it's gonna be worth yer while. A cool million dollars. Each." he drawled addressing the pair from behind a pair of large sunglasses whilst he lounged in his silk dressing gown. "The job is simple. A former do gooder needs ta be reminded that we got long memories, an we don't ferget. This here's an address. We got boys watchin the place and the mark is there. I want him beaten up. Badly. And I want his belt. It has a gold buckle an gave him his magic powers. Beat the snot outta him, take the belt an get it back here. Give him a message. Tell him the Carboni family says 'remember us'? He'll get it."

Combat Queen/Amazonia growled "You know a guy called Dwight? Herman Dwight? Goes by the name Crusher."

The man sat at the table bristled and took notice. Carboni narrowed his eyes. "Yeah. Why?"

"He owes me money. I need to have words." growled Combat Queen. "Tell me where he is and I can sort it out."

Carboni raises an eyebrow. "Tell ya what. Do this job an you gotta deal..."

Combat Queen glanced at Lionheart... would they climb deeper into the pit to follow this trail?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Mar 23 2020, 21:24

Admin wrote:Carboni raises an eyebrow. "Tell ya what. Do this job an you gotta deal..."

Combat Queen glanced at Lionheart... would they climb deeper into the pit to follow this trail?

Undercover work was never something that Lionheart took to, spies, creeping around that was not his brief nor his skills set. Worst still he didn't like the thought of beating anyone up just as the say-so of a man like Carboni, but already a plan was forming in his mind. He nodded toward Combat Queen, letting her do the talking.

OOC: I'm going to suggest we stop by a make-up store for fake blood, gets some fireworks and do a whole number of this fella, or at least appear to do so, blow the place up, set fire to it, leave little evidence he even was left, and get him out in the chaos so that we can give the appearance of make a 'good impression' to all the other do-gooders whom might be watching. If we make it look good, and if we can get his guy to cooperate then we might not only save his life but get this show on the road without compromising our own integrity along the way.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 24 2020, 10:49

"Ok. To make sure the correct message gets sent, I'm sending my man here with you. He goes by the name... Saber..." said Carboni.

The man stood. Lionhearts danger sense tingled and a voice in his mind said 'beware this one.' said Saladin.

Combat Queen chuckled. "You don't trust us? After we just stole that trinket for you?"

Carboni laughed without humour. "I don't trust ANYONE! Everyone has ta prove themselves. All the time. You don't stay in business these days fer long without bein careful. An that includes who you keep round you."

"Everyone got a price. When you gotta get stuff done, you gotta dangle enough of a carrot to better the other offers. Saber here is too sharp a weapon ta use for this kind of delicate work, but I'll pay him ta make sure the job gets done." drawled Carboni. "In other words, ta watch you two. Still want the job?"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Mar 24 2020, 12:59

Admin wrote:"Everyone got a price. When you gotta get stuff done, you gotta dangle enough of a carrot to better the other offers. Saber here is too sharp a weapon ta use for this kind of delicate work, but I'll pay him ta make sure the job gets done." drawled Carboni. "In other words, ta watch you two. Still want the job?"

Lionheart inwardly groaned, he wasn't much of an actor so he hoped he managed to keep enough of a straight face to seem nonplussed. He covered by saying "Can he keep up..." laughing as he looked at Combat Queen as if it were some in-joke between them.

With Saber alongside them, they were really going to have to improv' in the moment and still make it look convincing. And that was going to be difficult, but then who knew what opportunities might yet present themselves as they went along with this charade - for now anyway.

OOC: I guess it looks like we've got the sword dancer coming with us. I'm hoping there might, just might be a way to do this without losing our angle and still not losing our integrity. But it's looking like its a near thing. Not sure how long I'll be able to keep this up. I'd rather bail than go in with this and see an innocent and good man take a rap from Carboni.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 24 2020, 13:43

Combat Queen glanced at Lionheart and nodded. She felt the same. "Alright. This is your show but we need to take precautions. I don't know about you but taking on a well loved retired hero is going to attract the kind of heat I'd rather avoid."

"It comes with the territory." laughed Carboni, sucking on a cigar.

"Yeah? I'm sure the Ultrahumans would enjoy debating the point as they walked through the ruins of this place and the ashes of your criminal empire." she replied.

"You threatenin' me?" snarled Carboni.

The goons pulled guns and Saber stepped back, summoning an energy blade in his hand instantly!

Combat Queen played it cool and wasn't impressed. "If you are being smart, you can do this without drawing heat you don't want and..." she glanced at Saber "Can't handle, no matter how sharp that energy sword is."

"It can cut through anything, woman, bear that in mind!" hissed the blademaster.

"Perhaps you need a demonstration?" asked Carboni. Combat Queen stared back and held her hands up "I'm saying play it smart. We can get this done without all ending up in a supermax jail. It's a high profile target and they are sure to come looking for whoever does the old codger over. Don't you have any enemies you'd prefer to lay a breadcrumb trail to?"

Carboni's expression slowly changed and he grinned. "Yes... yes I do! I like how this lady thinks! Yes! Saber! Make the arrangements. You know who we mean. Guys! Guns away, it's good to have *someone* else with brains round here... " he said glaring at Fenwick.

"You have an hour then be back here with whatever you need and go with Saber to the old guys home. Then send him a message." he snarled.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Mar 24 2020, 19:46

Admin wrote:"You have an hour then be back here with whatever you need and go with Saber to the old guys home. Then send him a message." he snarled.

Lionheart breathed a silent slow and long sigh of relief, although he didn't know who they had in mind to target the belt was a give away as was Carboni as an enemy. If they could warn whomever it was, and yet still dupe Carboni as they had with the necklace it might be that they could still get the drop on these guys without blowing their own credibility. One had to hope.

When the coast was clear, Lionheart expressed said "That was a good cover back there, fast thinking." then he went on to express his thoughts to Combat Queen and then suggested that contacted Thunder Woman and see what she could dig up. If they could do this and do this well, without the real target being hurt, yet still achieve the same ends, then this might even go better than intended.

"We've got to make this look good, but if we can also make ourselves look effective without killing someone then there has to be a way to dupe them. We're working for Ultrahumans they must have someone who could wipe up a simulacrum whom we can complete this mission with?"

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 25 2020, 09:44

Combat Queen nodded. "I agree."

She called up Thunder Woman. "So that's the situation. We don't have long. The trail to the guy who stole the gauntlet leads to this and we don't have anything to nail the bad guys on... after all they've got US running around doing their dirty work! This needs to end and we need to get our hands on this guy before the gauntlet gets to wherever they are taking it. As for that fellow you saw with the broom..." she added, speaking to Lionheart "I don't know what he was doing. Two thefts from the same place within an hour of each other? They MUST be connected, but why?"

Thunder Woman replies "One problem at a time. We're having a big problem with the Supermax prison and I may have to intervene. Atomic Champion says there's at least one of the trainees down and whilst he's attending to him the others could be in trouble. It looks like we're having 'one of those days' and we may have to pull you to get you over there. If there is a mass breakout of some of the most dangerous criminals in the country... well, we will be clearing up the mess for ages. if we can."

"In the meantime... I've asked Duplex to see who we know that can shape change to convince this 'Saber' that you're on the level. Our records show he's wanted for questioning by Interpol and may be linked to the death of Capitan Liberte, a hero in France. No proof, only conjecture and a request that we ... question ... the guy. That was BEFORE France effectively handed the keys over to ADVENT and we've heard nothing since. We don't even know if Interpol is still active in it's previous state." she sighed.

"Patching Duplex in."

"Greetings, Cadets." said Duplex over the comms. "I'm sending you an address of an operative we've had details with. Everyman. Be careful with him, He's a tricky customer but generally fights on the side of right, and he owes us a favour. At your speed Lionheart you should be able to draft him in no time! It's night time on that seaboard but I've enlisted the aid of Computrix who tracked his mobile phone signal. Ah, we don't normally do that but time is of the essence, so chop chop!"

The link cut and Thunder Woman added "Duplex is an acquired taste. You should have the address now. Good luck. If this takes much longer we'll have to divert you both, and the others, to the Supermax. Good luck. Watch out for Saber - he's a killer, I'm sure of it. if I can't be reached immediately it's because I have my hands full! Thunder Woman out."

The phones bleeped with an address. "I'll get us something to disguise ourselves. Some enterprising hero or law enforcement agency will be able to pin all sorts of crimes on us if we're caught on camera. You sort out this... 'Everyman'." she said, rolling her eyes.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Mar 25 2020, 20:02

Admin wrote:The phones bleeped with an address. "I'll get us something to disguise ourselves. Some enterprising hero or law enforcement agency will be able to pin all sorts of crimes on us if we're caught on camera. You sort out this... 'Everyman'." she said, rolling her eyes.

Lionheart nodded to Combat Queen and speed off toward this Everyman, who would he find and what would he find and indeed what would he say to be part of a ruse that had to be good enough to probably fool a trained killer. Sabar didn't tickle and shave with that nasty blade he possessed that much is for sure. Lionheart thought as he within moments he was at his destination.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 26 2020, 16:02

It was night in the city of New York (OOC I don't think I specified which seaboard the adventure was taking place in. Assume that one side is dusk the other is early night. I never quite fathom how big a place the US is with time zones)

Lionheart sped through the city and checked out the address on his phone. Unfortunately the GPS took an age (seconds) to catch up and he would have to wait for it.

The neighbourhood is a dump and somewhere a million miles from the four colour brightness of the Ultrahumans adventures. Here, sirens wailed, an occasional gunshot rang out and traffic noise was a constant roar.

He stood on the rooftop of a four storey building amidst the roof furniture (aerials, air con units etc and the occasional sun lounger, washing lines and so on). This was the building so where...

His danger sense didn't alert him but he heard a heartbeat from behind even over the noise and turned. A man in a trenchcoat with a blank white mask over his face and fedora on his head stood on the wall edge of the building. "I assume this is not a social call. Seeing as there is nothing of interest around here unless you are tracking a criminal you may be a criminal. If that is the case, you should know I can look after myself."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Mar 26 2020, 18:37

Admin wrote:His danger sense didn't alert him but he heard a heartbeat from behind even over the noise and turned. A man in a trenchcoat with a blank white mask over his face and fedora on his head stood on the wall edge of the building. "I assume this is not a social call. Seeing as there is nothing of interest around here unless you are tracking a criminal you may be a criminal. If that is the case, you should know I can look after myself."

"Evening...I'm new to these parts as you can no doubt tell by my accent. Looking for a fella who does quick changes, and since you seem to know your way around I wonder if you know of him. He's so good he could be any man or everyman.

Lionheart looked relaxed but that his danger sense hadn't gone off meant he had no reason to immediately suspect that man was up to no good. But truth was, he was a stranger in a stranger land than when he left earth. Many stranger, since this group Advent had taken a seat in Europe. And now here he was the other side of the world trying out for a team of big-league superheroes, trying to find a way to catch a lead. Somehow it's not what he imagined it to be. But this was police work, this was undercover, all though the idea didn't run easily with him, in the end, he could see their objective - to capture the ones behind events that might cause harm to life, was the same as he was cloned for.

So right now, this thought strange felt somehow right. It surprised him, but maybe he was really changing beyond the rigid conformity he knew to be what he was programmed with and subsequently overrode with the changes and adventures and situations he'd been through.

He let the thoughts drift off leaving them to turn over at a more suitable time, before looking back at the stranger for a response.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Mar 27 2020, 07:57

"You have my interest piqued" said the stranger as he morphed into an exact duplicate of Lionheart before his eyes. Even his voice was the same!

"I deduce you aren't here to harm me. If you were I'd know." he said.

Danger Sense? Lionheart pondered.

"Which does beg the question why you would be... far from home... and more than that, how you know which neighbourhood I operate in. I'm strictly low level, low key. I sew fear and mistrust amongst the scum and villainy that riddle these streets, fighting to keep them clean of drugs and crime. It's a neverending battle and you shut down one set of scumbags whilst another one is moving in. The people who live and work here deserve better than that. The kids who get dragged in deserve a chance. At the moment they are peddling drugs in their early teens and skipping school. The old people daren't go out. Working people fear they won't get home, or get home to a home which has been ransacked. The police are overworked, underpaid and some of them have given in, turning the other cheek. Worse, some are paid off, and there's no one to stand up for this neighbourhood. That's where I come in. All the time I stand here talking to you someone might be being robbed or worse. Make your sales pitch friend, and make it good. Someone a crime is happening." he said.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Mar 27 2020, 21:31

Admin wrote:Worse, some are paid off, and there's no one to stand up for this neighbourhood. That's where I come in. All the time I stand here talking to you someone might be being robbed or worse. Make your sales pitch friend, and make it good. Someone a crime is happening." he said.

Lionheart nodded it pained him that in some ways he wasn't where the people were more himself. Saving the planet was all good and well but lives like this, this is where it made a real difference in real and ordinary lives.

"That is a pretty neat trick. I'm called Lionheart I'm part of the Vanguard in the UK, but right now helping out the Ultrahumans, on a case and I could really do with your help..."

Lionheart told Everyman the full story, the plan which had been cobbled together and the necessity of protecting one man, in order to get at another and perhaps take down the head of a serpent whose tentacles reached far and wide...perhaps even as far as this city and this neighbourhood.

"So what do you say, can you help me?"

Lionheart waited hoping that despite the interruption in proceedings Everyman might see that the mission and task they faced had worth worthy of his time and trouble.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Mar 28 2020, 08:19

Everyman morphed back into his usual gumshoe shape and sat on the wall edge, pondering.

"I haven't got the power or the inclination to 'run with the big boys'. Right here is my jurisdiction, helping what good cops there are and righting what wrongs I come across, and there are a few. However, from what you say another of our type is trying to live out the rest of his life away from this... craziness and made the mistake of not caring if people knew how to find him. That's why I wear this mask. Someday I want to be able to walk away." he said.

"Ha! Listen to me! i live on my own and I've spoken more to you than anyone else in the years I've been doing this! Aside from my ... instinct... nothing tells me if you're telling the truth other than my gut and and a desire to do the right thing."

He ponders for a moment, looks about. "I'll leave the protection of this neighbourhood to others for this night and help you out. So what's the plan?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Mar 28 2020, 09:19

Admin wrote:He ponders for a moment, looks about. "I'll leave the protection of this neighbourhood to others for this night and help you out. So what's the plan?"

Lionheart nodded, holding out a hand in thanks and recognition of the cost he was making to himself. He outlined what they knew of the hit, that they had to find this 'target' get him out of the place, and to safety and then put in Everyman with the belt. The magic belt was what Carboni was after, and without it, he might be suspicious of their intentions. The only way to get fully in on the operation and hamper it is to be so tight that he would suspect his own mother more than Lionheart and Combat Queen. It was a risk at no mistake and something that he didn't really know if they could carry off...if things went badly south, then they'd pull the plug rather than run the risk of crossing a line over which they could not return.

With the barest details outline, and time running shorter, Lionheart offered the unconventional means he had of transport to get to the 'target' and try and pursued him how much his life was in danger.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Mar 29 2020, 08:50

"Give me a second." said Everyman and he shape changed into sphere, then changed colour to a basketball!

"People generally freak out when they hear everyday objects speaking but I suppose you've seen it all. It's handy to be able to pose as everyday objects in my line of work." explained the hero.

Made it easier to carry him and less undignified!

Lionheart sped off, dropped the fellow off at the retired heroes address, watched him morph back into his ordinary form and explain he would make contact with the retired hero. Lionheart then sped back to where Combat Queen waited.

"You work fast!" she declared. "I hope this 'Everyman' can get things sorted out. I hate doing this punks dirty work. There MUST be some way we can drag his organisation round around his ears! Things are so much simpler when all you have to do is punch them till they fall over..."

OOC Any more preparations or are you ready to plunge into this any hope Everyman can play his part well enough to convince a deadly assassin and a criminal organisation?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Mar 29 2020, 15:30

Admin wrote:"You work fast!" she declared. "I hope this 'Everyman' can get things sorted out. I hate doing this punks dirty work. There MUST be some way we can drag his organisation round around his ears! Things are so much simpler when all you have to do is punch them till they fall over..."

OOC Any more preparations or are you ready to plunge into this any hope Everyman can play his part well enough to convince a deadly assassin and a criminal organisation?

Lionheart nodded, he couldn't agree more and heartily added, "keep your eyes and ears open, if we get what we need and have the chance to kill two birds with one stone then let's do it. I'll lose no sleep if I see Carboni and these others put in a 6x4"

With that Lionheart suggested the got back to Carboni and got ready if they could pull off one heck of a blindsiding if they would be happier. In some ways messing with the muck like Carboni had given Lionheart a greater desire to bring not only his sorry kingdom down but to more easily sympathise with Everyman. Beating up bad guys didn't stop the badness, that was in human nature, but it might stop others and open new opportunities for others to find reasons toward legitimate streams of income and communities to be safer for the majority who wanted to get on with their lives.

But for now, whatever he felt Lionheart had to put such thoughts to one side.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Mar 30 2020, 05:30

Fenwick greeted 'Amzaonia' and 'Lighning Limey' at the gate again. The scowling guards were with him but kept their mouths shut this time.

"Mr Carboni is so far impressed with your ability to get things done. I on the other hand, am paid to be suspicious. The necklace you stole is being examined by an expert when they get here."

Combat Queen shrugged "We got the necklace from the bank. It looks legit. We did that as a freebie. If you want to annoy us carry on. I'm bettin' between me an my friend here we can make a mess of..."

"Enough with the threats and posturing." said a voice behind the pair. Saber had appeared as if from nowhere and whilst Lionhearts danger sense hadn't alerted him to immediate danger as such he'd been slightly surprised the man could move so quietly and quickly. He'd have to watch him.

Saber had been parked opposite in a fast high end SUV (OOC think AMG merc ML) but the door hadn't opened and Saber had either been waiting outside the vehicle somewhere or had gotten out... without opening a door.

Fenwick turned to Saber. "Are you sure you can keep an eye on these two? This man is fast and the woman...?"

"We're stood right here..." scowled Combat Queen.

Saber chuckled "Don't mind him. He's paid to be paranoid. I on the other hand, am paranoid - and very trigger happy - for free. You two try ANYTHING and you'll be regretting it near instantly. You may be fast..." he said to Lionheart, staring at him "But I'm the fastest. Don't forget that."

The SUV had another occupant who got out of the front passenger side and into the drivers seat. "One of you rides up front, the other in the back with me. Any funny business and the deal is off. Permanently. Like Mr Carboni says, it don't pay to trust anyone in this game. You, Smoke?"

The man getting in the front of the SUV looked over. For a moment Lionheart seemed to see through him. Another super. "We good?" asked Saber.

The man named Smoke nodded. He was mid six foot, heavily muscled and his shaven bald head glinted slightly as the sun set. His eyes were dead, and the heroes had no doubt they were dealing with another killer.

"Mr Smoke here is an associate I've had dealings with. You should beware of him. He don't say much an' he don't need to, cause like me? His deeds do the talkin." said Saber

Fenwick smiled giving an evil grin.

=========

"Take the next left." said Saber.

They'd been driving for half an hour with the sun setting and it was dark now. Smoke had paid little to no attention to posted speed limits and the vehicle had made rapid, dangerous progress.

"Nervous?" asked Saber of Combat Queen in the front seat next to Smoke. Lionheart was in the back a couple of feet away from Saber.

"Only of your man gettin pulled for a speeding tick..." started Combat Queen.

WOOP! WOOP! went the police siren behind the car.

Blue lights flashed about and Smoke glanced in the mirror. Saber took a look behind. "We'll change the plates later. You. Fast boy. Deal with the flatfoot and catch up to us. We ain't stoppin fer no one!"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Mar 30 2020, 13:35

Admin wrote:Blue lights flashed about and Smoke glanced in the mirror. Saber took a look behind. "We'll change the plates later. You. Fast boy. Deal with the flatfoot and catch up to us. We ain't stoppin fer no one!"

Lionheart bristled at being ordered about by these two unsavoury characters, but for now, kept his cool and let the impression of anger be something fitting for the persona he was still seeking to project. with barely a nod, he whipped out the car, and at superspeed, tore off the tires of the police car behind him, wincing not so much from the effort but from the sheer unsavoury nature of what he was undertaking that rubbed him badly the wrong way.

After taking care of the vehicle, he leapt forward and caught up with the 'speeding' vehicle and got back in. He knew he was taking a risk, by not simply killing the men but assumed he could palm it off as not wanting to make a messy situation messier. He couldn't help but wonder if in this situation he was going to have to turn tale on these two and dispatch them before they could see that this ruse was up. There was no two ways about it though, there was a reason why Carboni hadn't been captured even though he'd been implicated in metahuman crime before.

OOC: Ok so try to dispatch the police car and remove that impediment, I might also rip out their police communications so that they can't contact head office and take their dashcam whilst I am at it. And then catch up the others...

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next