The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart Issue #2

2 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart Issue #2 Empty The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart Issue #2

Post  Admin Tue Aug 06 2019, 21:49

"So, to recap. A week ago we escaped by the skin of our teeth to the moon like creature we saved from a parasite that was eating away at its insides, where we are living now. It generates its own atmosphere, grows fruit from trees we can eat as well as some kind of root vegetable only Wandafar seems to like. It also converses, mind to mind, with Lionheart but no one else can pick up its thoughts." said Jarna. "Our roll call is considerably smaller now that we no longer have a fleet of thousands to look after. We are Frostbite, Lionheart, Wandafar, Reflex, Terra Firma, Firebrand, Gravitas, Impulse, Traveller, Rebuff and Probability. I am Jarna, and whilst I am a pilot, there's nothing but the shuttle to pilot and that has limited fuel."

"You can chop wood, like the rest of us." offered Steph (Reflex).

"Thanks for that. I'll look forward to another full day shift of wood chopping tomorrow." muttered Jarna.

"Lionheart can fly a limited distance around the moon creature to scout out before he has to return and replenish his oxygen. Despite how fast he can fly, he's mostly limited to exploring the planetary system we're in. That brings up our next problem. For all intents and purposes, we are..."

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart Issue #2 Lost-in-space2

"We've made two hyperspace jumps. Unfortunately without a point of reference to find Earth we are basically hitting and hoping that this creature knows what it's doing and where it's going. Lionheart says he sent a mental image of Earth and our Solar System but that the creature wasn't sure if it had ever been there. It is, by any measure, millennia old." Jarna added.

"Probably senile." said Wandafar, unhelpfully.

"It wouldn't be the only one." countered Jarna. "You're supposed to be the brains around here, and all you moan about is the lack of something called Eastenders Street."

Wandafar muttered under his breath and crunched down on a grey looking root vegetable.

Firebrand (Sarah Barrington) spoke up. "Much as it originally seemed to be a great idea to be trained in our powers and be super heroes, some of us would like to see home again..."

Probability (Jeremy Cotton) spoke up "Well we did kind of get kidnapped and these guys rescued us, so a little gratitude might not go amiess..."

"I've lost my job, heck, everyone thinks I'm dead by now!" Firebrand shrieked, and she turned away, face in hands. Some of the team moved to comfort her, others started arguing about team members pulling their weight, not being up to the job and so on. Nerves were frayed.

Frostbite stepped up to calm things and was about to speak when Lionheart flinched. Frostbite had seen that look before, and so had Wandafar. "Vot is ze big moon thing zet hes us living inside its belly und eating ze peculiar grey things zet are tasty but no one else likes cause zey smell funny saying to you now?"

Lionheart concentrated, forcing out all the squabbling. Everyones clothes were somewhat worse for wear, resembling rags after the steamy interior had started to rot them away rapidly. It turned out the creatures belly acid was responsible, so they'd moved to a different chamber inside the vast creature.

"Recognise... System... Supplies for you... Humanoids..." came the thought in Lionhearts head, along with an image of tall humanoids with blank features save for eyes and a gash for a mouth, and long three fingered hands. Their blue skin and waving antennae reminded him that they were not in Kansas any more.

"And something else... Something..." The thought went silent.

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart Issue #2 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart Issue #2 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart Issue #2 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart Issue #2

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Aug 08 2019, 17:21

Admin wrote:

"Recognise... System... Supplies for you... Humanoids..." came the thought in Lionhearts head, along with an image of tall humanoids with blank features save for eyes and a gash for a mouth, and long three-fingered hands. Their blue skin and waving antennae reminded him that they were not in Kansas any more.

"And something else... Something..." The thought went silent.

Lionheart returned to the present and with a knowing nod toward Frostbite, told the others what he had himself just been told.

Frostbite looked at the others, some excited, some with knitted brows as they like he, wondered if this would be a help or further hindrance to their getting home.

"OK folk listen up, this is how we are going to play this. A small team of us will go down, via the shuttle and seek to secure provisions, and or any guidance as to where we are. Inevitably there will be trouble, we're the Vanguard, trouble always knows our name. Which is why some of you are going to hold back here, so we've got a backup."

Frostbite nodded to everyone whom he wanted on the mission, Lionheart would have to stay, being as he was their ultimate big gun, but also the only one who could communicate with their host and also able to traverse space and atmosphere, he'd be their back up. With Frostbite he'd take Jarna as shuttle pilot, Jez (Probability), Dave (Tera Firma) and Steph (Reflex).

Turning to Wandafar, Frostbite added, "Do you think we've got anything worth using for barter that the universe might be interested that our host could spare - our fruit and your roots for instance?"

Frostbite wasn't unaware of the needs of the team, how many had left so much first to join up and train with him, then kidnapping, space travel and goodness knew what this latest planet would bring. It was staggering that after all they'd been through they'd not been killed - though many had regrettable come too close. PTSD and whatever trauma might afflict them over the years to come - assuming they made it back. He wasn't a counsellor, in war, you knew who the enemy was and you faced them hoping that the homes you turned your backs on you'd be able to return to. But this, this was more than any of them had signed up for. They'd all proven their resilience more than once. But Frostbite was aware that they needed a win, a way to boost morale and give them hope.

He only hoped and prayed that this planet, might give them some sense of where they were, in the ocean of space, which might yet yield that coveted prize that had seemed in short supply. Another mission would take the minds of their momentary troubles, but when the adrenaline had stopped, wounds bandaged the aftermath from that high would just get deeper still. There was no more he could do but go forward hoping for some glimmer of hope. Their bonds of friendship and possibly more could mean that in one another, at least for now, they'd found a bigger something to aim for, keeping one another alive long enough to get home and tell about it.

OOC: Ok so equipped as best Frostbites team can be they'll see if we can't find a place to land, and start to try and see if they can't find a way forward and on in their current predicament.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart Issue #2 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart Issue #2

Post  Admin Fri Aug 16 2019, 08:18

OOC Again, apologies for the delay. Been packing, driving, dropping off, packing, driving etc... There may be a gap in posting near the end of the month too as I wait for BT/Sky to sort themselves out with the house move. Is what it is, just could have done without it! In a month I'll look back and wonder what the fuss is about.

FROSTBITE

With his team gathered Frostbite took a large box of fruits and roots from a reluctant looking Wandafar. "Zey better not get a taste for zis or I vill hef nothing to eat."

Dave (Terra Firma) rolled his eyes. "I hope beyond hope they have something edible and tasty that we could swap these slops for!"

Steph (Reflex) stepped in between the pair as Wandafar was about to reply and she smiled "All right, we won't find out what's going on unless we actually get down there. Let's move!" She glanced at Frostbite with an eye roll and stifling a sigh, then got on board herself.

Jarna fired up the engines, cycled the various safety systems and confirmed they were good to go. Using equipment Wandafar had jury rigged from the shuttle it was possible to speak via radio communication at some an extreme range if the Shuttle parked in orbit to act as a relay from the planetoid to the shuttle then the team. Unfortunately that would have to be done from the highest peaks on the outer crust of the planetoid and only Lionheart could survive in the vacuum of space where they jutted into. He would have to take it in shifts to listen for Jarnas passed on messages, but at his speed he could be planteside in minutes.

With a shake of the hands Lionheart looked about. "I'll try and stop everyone from strangling each other. Being cooped up in caverns isn't great. I'm hoping that the planet down there can give us things we need."

Frostbite nodded, turned to the others who nodded, waved, crossed fingers or otherwise looked hopeful.

=========

"Signs look good" said Jarna as the purple clouds in the atmosphere were traversed through.

"We have cities, smaller settlements... see those domes? inside they are honeycombed, like hives. Scans show grouped life signs in those. Technology... tricky to say. Nothing that suggests advanced but... there are flying objects so it can't be too backwards."

Jez (Probability) suggests "Maybe if I go in first we'll get lucky and meet someone friendly who is able to understand our needs."

Steph shrugged "We'll be close by."

Suddenly "INCOMNG!" shouted Jarna and she yanked the shuttle to the side. With everyone strapped in the vessel screamed and banked hard as what seemed like energy blasts streaked by. No, not energy, more like... molten lava!

The lava gobbets, each the size of a large family car, arced away and down into a dense forest that covered the land below. Distant mountains and a glittering purple lake, or small sea, flashed past the screen as the shuttle dived for cover.

"Looking for a place to land... unless you want to turn around and see what's attacking us? I can try and zero in on..." said Jarna.

BANG!

Everyone looked up.

"We have a hitchhiker." muttered Steph. "We should get out there and..."

"Hold on! Masks on! You may also want to wear protective suits. The atmosphere is showing as mildly corrosive!" said Jarna as the computer gathered more information.

Terra Firma (Dave) muttered "Well, we're off to a good start! I need to get closer to the ground to be of use."

A grinding, metallic sound rang out and alarms blared on the shuttle. "You may get your wish!" exclaimed Jarna. "Whatever is on the outside is ripping the shuttle apart to get in! It's only a matter of moments before it hits something important!"

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart Issue #2 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart Issue #2 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Aug 18 2019, 16:22

Admin wrote:OOC Again, apologies for the delay. Been packing, driving, dropping off, packing, driving etc... There may be a gap in posting near the end of the month too as I wait for BT/Sky to sort themselves out with the house move. Is what it is, just could have done without it! In a month I'll look back and wonder what the fuss is about.

OOC: Been there and done that, so no worries mate.  I'm not worried about the occasional delay, as it never lasts long.  Glad to hear things are getting sorted, God willing I'll still be here ;-)

FROSTBITE

A grinding, metallic sound rang out and alarms blared on the shuttle. "You may get your wish!" exclaimed Jarna. "Whatever is on the outside is ripping the shuttle apart to get in! It's only a matter of moments before it hits something important!"

Frostbite spoke up, "Friends I think we might have encountered a hostile environment or an environment that has hostiles.  Either way, we'd best be prepared for an unwelcome entry.  Let me take a look topside and find out what is going on.  Jarna, evasive manoeuvres - whatever you can."

And with that, Frostbite grabbed what he needed before phasing through the roof to take a looksee at what they had decided to take such an interest in them.

OOC: Right now the others aren't the same power levels to take on something and might be more of a liability till we get down safe.  Jarna is weakest of all, so Frostbite is minded to take care of them but mindful Jarna is the softest and squidgest if you get my meaning.  Once I take a look to see if it's not just rock's falling on our heads, or some alien thinking we're an appetizer before its main meal then think about trying to blow it off, Energy attack wise to dissuade it or any pals from taking any more lumps out of the ship.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Aug 20 2019, 10:51

OOC Just a quick heads up. Sunday morning I ended up having to wrestle someone to the floor to stop an ongoing violent assault against a woman and this morning had to convince a young woman not to jump in front of my train (she was waiting for me to pass by and I saw her/stopped). It's been a fun couple of days, and seem to be constantly talking to the police/signallers/controllers when all I want to do is drive trains Rolling Eyes Anyway, coupled with moving there may be some disruption to the flow of normal posting probably until next week when all being well I'll be in the new place. Assuming I don't get blown up by terrorists tonight or kidnapped by aliens tomorrow, the way this week is going. Fun and games! Well, not really. The young lady this morning was 22 today and wanted to end her life. So sad.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Aug 20 2019, 11:19

Admin wrote:OOC Just a quick heads up. Sunday morning I ended up having to wrestle someone to the floor to stop an ongoing violent assault against a woman and this morning had to convince a young woman not to jump in front of my train (she was waiting for me to pass by and I saw her/stopped). It's been a fun couple of days, and seem to be constantly talking to the police/signallers/controllers when all I want to do is drive trains Rolling Eyes Anyway, coupled with moving there may be some disruption to the flow of normal posting probably until next week when all being well I'll be in the new place. Assuming I don't get blown up by terrorists tonight or kidnapped by aliens tomorrow, the way this week is going. Fun and games! Well, not really. The young lady this morning was 22 today and wanted to end her life. So sad.

OOC: Ah bless you mate, I really feel for folk like yourself who get used as unwitting and unwilling agents in another person's suicide. The statistics suggest that a great many people under the age of 30 in the UK feel their life is pointless. Such existential angst cannot be just because people don't have an Instagram worthy look, haven't the perfect job, or partner, but a deeper sense of uprootedness that for a great many generations, was rooted in Christian belief. Even if people didn't believe in God, the shared values that made us whom we are, have largely been laughed off as insufferable and dispensible, but what has taken their place is tissue-thin and clearly inadequate. We know all is not well, and when we look within or without, we see too few answers and much that we feel ashamed of that we think ending it is a solution sufficient to deal with the pain. We were all made for more, not religion - Jesus didn't offer 10 more commandments, but Himself. Knowing you are loved unconditionally - despite whom you are, yet not left that way gives one a sense of purpose nothing else (clearly or else it would be here by now) has. And people across the world irrespective of culture, ethnicity, gender or background are finding this to be true in a way no other faith has ever been.

Anyway, all that to say, I am so sorry to hear things have been so difficult, one can only hope that poor lady gets the help that she finds to be helpful. Likewise, I hope you don't get abducted by aliens, but with the wild and wacky you seem to face on a daily basis it does explain the convoluted and often mind-bending plot twists and counter steps you offer us half the time. Anyway, no rush from me.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Aug 29 2019, 15:35

OOC Just a quick note. Yay! Back online as of this afternoon. Am still catching up with bills, council tax etc so may be a day or two but i reckon (hope) I'll be back in the saddle by Saturday. Still no tv but a landline and internet are a start seeing as I've moved somewhere with no mobile signal (for anyone) unless you stand in the street. It's like living in the dark ages. Moving... Ugh. Anyway, nearly settled in Smile

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Sep 03 2019, 18:47

OOC Apologies for the day. All plans were cancelled when I had the kids longer than expected, then as a bonus (after a shift at work on Monday) I had them dropped on me as their school had a training day. Fun, trying to be in several places at once.

Frostbite emerged our of the ship and instantly heard Frostbots voice in his head...

'The atmosphere IS corrosive to human flesh. Yours is denser than an ordinary humans of course, but over time it will begin to affect you. As yet we have no idea how long it will take but DO NOT breathe in and be sure to shower off. As I am sure you know you are almost intangible, but not completely so. You interact with your environment in a minimal way but a sufficiently dense material or energy field will impede your progress, and an all permeating atmosphere like this one will affect you given enough exposure. Indeed, you should...'

Frostbite spun and Frostbot stopped speaking inside his head as he beheld what was crouching on the hull of the ship!

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart Issue #2 Creature-alien-1

Towering above him at near on nine feet tall the creature had left its mark on the hull, having somehow leapt through the air and... ah... Some kind of grapple line swung in the wind, the end embedded in the hull. But that meant this creature must have leapt over two miles up in the air! That suggested strength!

The creature stared at Frostbite... then started moving towards him, each step thudding into the hull and leaving a dent even as the toes extended and hooked into the metal!

'Initial analysis indicates GREAT density and strength. The gravity on this planet is many times greater than Earth! Caution is advised, as is removing the creature from the hull!' said Frostbot

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Sep 11 2019, 12:07

Admin wrote:'Initial analysis indicates GREAT density and strength. The gravity on this planet is many times greater than Earth! Caution is advised, as is removing the creature from the hull!' said Frostbot

OOC:Ugh somehow I never got notification of an update so my apologies, it been on my mind to check the site and this is the first time I've done so Rolling Eyes

Frostbite duly took note of the hostile atmosphere, but it seemed the harsh conditions breed not only a harsh welcome but harsher welcomers as well.

Since the creature seemed to be one that was strong, and heavy, maybe what it gained in brute strength it lacked in other ways. Raising his arms he immediately took control of the atmosphere around him to start to create a slipper slick surface on the outside of the hull. Seeking not so much to immobilise but in fact, mobilise by reducing traction on seeking to make the hull slick with a super slippery ice sheet that might just cause the creature to slide away. It was a long shot, but one that he hoped could work, that and the fact he spoke into his mind to get Frostbot so that he could inform the crew what was going on and to cause the ship to roll to cause the creature even less chance to gain purchase before it broke in and compromised the hull further.

OOC:So icy blast and control to see if we can't dislodge our unwelcome and uninvited visitor. And also evasive manoeuvres together with a need to keep an eye on leaping beasties that what to rip out our ships contents.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 11 2019, 13:36

FROSTBITE

Firing ice from his hand at the outer hull of the shuttle, Frostbite formed it so it was glassy smooth and incredibly hard to grip on! Then with a thought he asked Frostbot to contact Jarna at the controls...

Jarna glanced at the side screen as a message typed itself on there. "Hang on!" she chuckled and barrel rolled the shuttle first one way then the other!

On top Frostbite flew free of the shuttle and looked down. The purple jungle below spread as far as the eye could see and the creature was falling towards it...

Just then a large purple plant like bulb erupted from the jungle, spread out like a carnivorous plant and engulfed the falling alien, all in one! Closing its leaves it shot back into the jungle canopy as if it were a feeding shark and diving once more below the waves! A moment later there was no trace!

Frostbite turned to fly towards the shuttle which was hovering and waiting for him. The ice was melting rapidly but where the creature had been stood it's massive dense body had left huge damaging footprints.

Chances were the shuttle would not be space worthy without repairs...

As he was about to head back to the shuttle when he heard a sound and spun about.

A HORDE of flying creatures were heading his way... dozens!

They resembled humanoids... blended with wasps?

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart Issue #2 Waspette

As they hovered and flew around the shuttle, Frostbite could see how fast and agile they were. Their wings seemed to give off vibrations that could felt from twenty feet or more away, and most were 'armed' with some kind of weapon...

One flew closer to Frostbite. He could see it might pass as a female, but the similarities were few between his species and theirs.

As she hovered, she looked up and down Frostbites intangible blue form. Even whilst intangible he could feel those vibrations...

Then she levelled the weapon at him...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Sep 15 2019, 16:14

Admin wrote:FROSTBITE

Then she levelled the weapon at him...

Trying to speak probably wasn't going to get him a new friend, on a planet not unlike one they'd escaped from not so long ago. But what else could he do, unless he was going to call down the whole planet on their heads? It was beginning to look like staying here wasn't going to work, not only was the atmosphere corrosive, so too it seemed were the natives. They certainly had restless down pat.

"Wait, can't we trade, or attempt to do something other than fire on one another?"

He thought to try to communicate in this atmosphere, in English and as a human might just be the worst of a long list of protocols, that probably started with, 'shoot first and ask questions later'. But then he'd been fighting his whole life, just for once talking seemed like a novel way to try and find out. But all the same, he raised his hands, hands outstretched with palms facing the "Wasp" like creatures, hoping such an open-handed gesture looked unthreatening, but ready to unleash a further blast of super cool air if that is what it took to bring about an end to hostilities.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Sep 23 2019, 20:07

The Wasplike creature tipped its head to one side, and twitched slightly with each word from Frostbites mouth.

It seemed to pause, consider then vibrated its wings in an unusual manner... which produced sounds other than high pitched buzzing!

"Wait, can't we ... do something ... another?" came the sound. It seemed that the creature was listening, learning, and buzzed some more...

"Attempt to do ... fire on one ..." came another noise.

'The creature appears to interpret the vibrations from your larynx and seems able to replicate them by altering the vibrational frequency of its wings. it may be possible, given time, to teach it how to speak our language. I would suggest allowing it to take you prisoner, albeit on your terms, to speak further and establish a relationship.' offered Frostbot.

'The weapon it is using is puzzling, however. It looks manufactured and from the initial impression of the creature and this planet, there appears to be no sign of heavy industry required to refine alloys and plastics. Perhaps this creature and its species have methods of manufacture unknown to us or... perhaps it obtained the weapons from someone... something... else.' Frostbot added.

The creature buzzed again. "We trade one another?" came the sound.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Sep 28 2019, 13:14

Admin wrote:'The weapon it is using is puzzling, however. It looks manufactured and from the initial impression of the creature and this planet, there appears to be no sign of heavy industry required to refine alloys and plastics. Perhaps this creature and its species have methods of manufacture unknown to us or... perhaps it obtained the weapons from someone... something... else.' Frostbot added.

The creature buzzed again. "We trade one another?" came the sound.

Clearly this wasn't going to be the first time they were going to find strange new life and with it stranger mysterious as to how it comes to be. Frostbite was only glad that there was another language in this place to fight or flight.

Speaking slowly, but seeking not to give offence he offered, "We would be delighted to try and trade what we have to offer!"

A sudden thought occurred to Frostbite. After all, who knew what they meant by the same words might have more than one meaning. He hoped trade was for items they could both spare, not trade for one another literally! The culture was going to be a minefield if they were to avoid stepping on toes and otherwise upsetting the natives. What he'd do with a linguist and some sort of cultural biologist, right about now.

OOC: Hi I'm back, been a bit busy and I wanted to think about how best to respond. Anyway, hope all the move and settling down has gone well. Frostbite is clearly hoping that he has been clearly understood and not fallen foul of linguistic and language missteps along the way here.

Assuming all is good, I guess we attempt to settle somewhere 'safe' and think about what and how to trade from here on in.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Sep 30 2019, 10:08

With a ceasefire seemingly in effect Jarna piloted the damaged shuttle down to the area where the Wasp People lived.

It consisted of huge domes with literally thousands of wasplike creatures emerging from and going into a deep honeycomb structure much like the insects on Earth. As the shuttle landed the back hatch hissed open and the crew emerged in environment suits looking tentative. They needn't have worried. The curious wasplike creatures took no aggressive action and it took a few choice 'hums' from the lead wasp creature, the female whom Frostbite had spoken to, to see them off about their business. With a language barrier firmly in place this was going to be difficult. Frostbot offered a solution.

'These creatures are clearly intelligent and have their own form of language. Rather than merely being programmed drones that follow a narrow set of guidelines from the Queen they appear willing to learn and interact with others. The large creature that attacked the shuttle may be another matter. It was sufficiently dense to suggest that a fall even from that height may not have harmed it. If that is the case it may bear a grudge, so while we are reasonably relaxed with these beings we need to be on our guard and perhaps refrain from taking sides.' offered Frostbot. 'That said, I think it is prudent to start with the basics.' With that Frostbot suggested a basic program of pointing out things and repeating phrases to build up a level of language between Frostbite and the wasp creatures. His crew seemed happy enough, though stayed close to the shuttle.

OOC If Frostbite wants to continue down that road it will take hours to establish a meaningful level of language. The others can start repairs on the shuttle. If you feel he has more pressing matters you can instead do that rather than form a level of language... As usual what seems straightforward will prove anything but!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Oct 01 2019, 19:20

Admin wrote:OOC If Frostbite wants to continue down that road it will take hours to establish a meaningful level of language. The others can start repairs on the shuttle. If you feel he has more pressing matters you can instead do that rather than form a level of language... As usual what seems straightforward will prove anything but!

Frostbite didn't cherish the idea of seeking to gain insight into another culture's language, but so much trade and diplomacy depended on it. They were in need of much and help was sorely needed. So he swallowed his sense of frustration, trusting that with Frostbot's help, he might be able to make sense of things. That was assuming they had a few hours. Trouble seemed to follow the Vanguard wherever they went, but repairs to the ship and trade with information let alone supplies was too good an opportunity to pass up. Besides if they could make some friends, so much the better.

OOC: Colour me curious to know more and find out anything that might further serve the team's purposes whilst we are here.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Oct 02 2019, 10:19

It was like going back to school.

The crew of the shuttle (supers and non alike) took an hour out from repairs to speak in what passed for a classroom with several seemingly friendly wasp people happy to point out various things for the crew to name or refer to. The Wasp people would then form words with their wings by vibrating them to mimic the sound, and all of a sudden rudimentary communication could take place! The computers on the shuttle helped. They had a certain amount of translation protocol built in so that anyone wearing a ship communicator and earpiece would hear the computers 'best guess' which was pretty good a lot of the time.

Frostbite joined in, keeping his eyes open and mind wary or tricks and traps. He'd seen it all before in his superheroic career. Something niggled at him, and he looked around.

The structures were built from reconstituted wood as a wasp would do. incredibly intricate but super sturdy and clearly able to ignore the corrosive atmosphere that confined the Vanguard crew to space suits and Frostbite himself to retreat to the shuttle to take air and get a rest from the atmosphere every now and again. As he reflected, Jarna plopped down next to him and with a hiss released her helmet in the safe confines of the ship.

"Well they seem friendly enough and eager to learn. They are also amazed and intrigued by our technology it seems. Beyond basic tools, their own ingenuity and physical traits, they are an intelligent species but without the means to construct advanced technology. I can see why they'd be interested in trade. Rather than simply try and take what we have, they obviously want to build up a relationship. Must be a first, meeting something that doesn't want to kill us." she smiled.

Frostbite glanced at the purple skinned woman and couldn't help but agree, but there was something...

"Boss? A problem?" she asked.

The gun.

He racked his brain. He'd only seen one, but it was glaringly out of place. How? Where? What?

He mentioned it to Jarna who slowly realised the same. "There aren't any others that I've seen, just the one. So where did...?"

The conversational skills had built to such a level that Frostbite could ask the wasp people where the weapon came from. Would he broach the subject or try to learn more? The level of technology was stone age, albeit with the enormous honeycomb domes housing the thousands upon thousands of buzzing wasp people that shot in and out constantly, bringing supplies (food and debris) from the forest/jungle.

There was also the matter of the huge creature that had attacked the shuttle. Something wasn't quite right here. In fact...

Frostbites keen mind put something else together.

Wasps were a common insect on earth. Over time they spread and colonised just about every corner of earth where food was to be had. However, in the scans the shuttle had detected only one large concentration of the dome like structures on this continent. Possibly even on this world.

Something wasn't right here...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Oct 06 2019, 14:01

Admin wrote:
Frostbites keen mind put something else together.

Wasps were a common insect on earth. Over time they spread and colonised just about every corner of earth where food was to be had. However, in the scans, the shuttle had detected only one large concentration of the dome-like structures on this continent. Possibly even on this world.

Something wasn't right here...

OOC:I'm glad Frostbite's keen mind put something together because I've not!

Frostbite was keen to get to the bottom of this mystery and took the opportunity to try to put together a series of questions that asked about their Bee tribe and their existence within the larger ecological tree that existed around them. He didn't want to lead with the mystery of the beast that attacked them, but hoped that they'd offer some clues as to its identity and what it might fit into the whole scheme of things here.

Besides which there was still the matter of the gun, and indeed, trade, whether they got help from these folk or there were others that could trade with them.

He wanted to get answers to their most pressing questions, knowing full well that only by assessing the true nature of what they faced, could they determine if the outcome could be one they could make use of for their own needs. Besides which, he knew the strenuous nature of the atmosphere would tire the crew and he didn't want to have to stay longer than was absolutely necessary.

OOC: So let's try to be diplomatic and persuasive asking the sorts of questions that avoid dead ends and non-sequiturs and hopefully got them to a place where they might see things are they are rather than stumbling ignorant as they appear to be.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Oct 07 2019, 19:18

Asking questions with visual references and cues seemed to be the way to go.

Whilst these creatures were intelligent it became clear that the technology level they used was basic stone tools and anything they could fashion from naturally occurring organic materials. Nothing manufactured.

"Gun?" hummed the Wasp Woman. She looked quizzically then seemed to realise with the pointing and gestures what Frostbite was referring to. It took time to piece together the following:

"When life begun we were few and it was hard. The queen nearly died when a creature attacked the fledgling hive and smashed it open to get at the larvae. We had never seen a creature of this type before. We rebuilt, then a different creature came. We attacked in numbers and repulsed it. Since then many creatures have come, never more than once. The last time a creature like the one that attacked you came and destroyed an entire dome. The queen was close to death. It ate many larvae and left. All was lost. The Queen thought of dying. Then the god appeared. Bright light. Handed the death stick to us. Since then the tough creature has reappeared but the death stick drove it back. Now we thrive, but the death stick is our only hope." came the frenzied buzzing sounds and words from the creature.

Frostbot spoke up. 'There is only one colony of wasp people that we have seen, and it would seem they are being tested. Able to survive in this environment they then were subjected to a series of more difficult opponents to fight off. For what purpose, and by whom is not clear. However, it is obvious that a deity would not normally hand out a firearm to its worshippers. Something is amiss here. We would be best advised to leave before we are drawn into a conflict or situation not of our choosing.'

"Boss!" shouted Jarna from outside. Frostbite moved out and saw what his pilot was gesturing to. The creature that had attacked their shuttle was back! Where it had leapt and landed was a large crater which it climbed out of... The wasp woman buzzed out beside Frostbite and levelled the 'death stick'... only for it to CLICK!

Out of ammo!

The huge muscled creature started stomping towards the hive domes/shuttle...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Oct 08 2019, 19:54

Admin wrote:Out of ammo!

The huge muscled creature started stomping towards the hive domes/shuttle...

Frostbite gestured to the team and spoke urgently, "This thing is tough, we don't know why it's being used to 'test' this colony but that appears to be what it's intended to do. It's tough, though not as tough as some, but we are without Lionheart. So we have to play this smart and not allow it to destroy the colony. It might be our interference draws out the true puppet masters behind its appearance. So don't get so focused on the beast that we miss what might be going on around."

With that Frostbite sort to deploy the team as best they could in twos, Jarna was best suited to be in the craft, but given the creature's ability, she would best act to direct the team if anything came at them from beyond the colony as well as using the ships onboard scanners to seek information as the battle unfolded.

The rest of the team had to come at it, as best they could with Frostbite seeking to make sure the creature focused on him, more than them so they didn't become casualties in this mad dash to hold the creature off. He had to hope that their combined powers might wear the creature down, or make it think twice about its take away choice.

OOC:

Ok so if Probability uses his powers to try and see if he can make the creature slow down along with Tera Firma, to encumber the creature from a distance. Meanwhile, Frostbite will attack from the air with his Ice Energy blast and then see if Reflex can't get in and leech some power off the thing so that we can use its considerable strength against it. But I want to be cautious, the team, save Frostbite, is pretty paper-thin when it comes to taking a hit, esp from a bruiser like this. So Reflex only goes in on my commend, which is that the creature is sufficiently incapacitated by our combined force that she can do so without being knocked into the middle of next week. If it turns out we aren't making a dent, we'd best think of something else.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Oct 10 2019, 14:28

Terra Firma summoned an Earth elemental from the ground which rivalled the oncoming creature in size and girth.

David (Terra Firma) himself vanished and Frostbite knew his team mate would be still here albeit invisible and intangible and unable to communicate save for his ability to speak through his Earth construct.

"I'll take point" he growled and stomped towards the oncoming alien.

Probability smiled. "I can help. From, er, over here." he said, moving back and gesturing at the oncoming creature.

OOC Dumb Luck check... Roll(2d10)+0: 3,8,+0 Total:11 + 11 (Dumb luck) (22) vs Infl 5 + Roll(2d10)+0: 4,7,+0 Total: 16. Success +3 EV (to 14) vs 4 Spirit = 7RAPs applied to the creatures Opposing Value. The creature now has an opposing value of THREE for the phase.

Terra Firma stomped up ready to throw a huge fist at the suddenly clumsy oncoming creature as its feet sank in sucking mud and it was distracted by being unable to move! He snarled "Let's see how tough you are!"

OOC Frostbite uses Adrenaline Surge on Energy Blast. Roll(2d10)+0: 7,10,+0 Total:15 + 14 vs Roll(2d10)+0: 7,3,+0
Total:10 +15. Success 17 vs 14=3 RAPs. Energy Blast boosted to 15. Frostbite uses Energy Blast 15 vs OV 3. Critical Blow boosts this to 4.
Energy Blast 15 + Roll(2d10)+0: 7,7,+0 Total:14 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d10)+0: 7,2,+0 Total:38 vs OV7 + Roll(2d10)+0: 7,7,+0 Total:17 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d10)+0: 3,6,+0 Total: 30
Success + 4 EV (to 19) vs RV 22 - 6 (Crit Blow) = 3 RAPs damage.

THOOOM!

Frostbite blasts energy that flashes through the sky and thuds against the oncoming creature! It grunts, twists and raises a hand to fend off the blast.

Terra Firmas creature grins then swings a fist!

OOC Earth Animated creature has 10 on Physical stats and 1 on Mystical with 1AP Density Increase. It attacks with a Devastating Attack trying to put the smack down on the creature!

Dex 10 + Roll(2d10)+0: 9,5,+0 Total:24 vs Dex 3 (effectively, dumb luck) + 8 (Dev Attack) + Roll(2d10)+0: 7,1,+0 Total:19. Hit +3 EV (to 13) vs RV22 - 12 (Dev Attack) = 3 RAPs damage.

BOOM!

With a tremendous crack the fist smashes against the dense creature and debris sprays from the hand, but the damage is enough to stagger the creature backwards, on top of Frostbites energy blast.

Steph (Reflex) gestures and spits "Give me your power!"

OOC Vampirism 9 + Roll(2d10)+0: 4,9,+0 Total:22 vs OV 3 + Roll(2d10)+0: 10,2,+0 Total:15. + 4EV ( to 13)  vs RV22... NO DAMAGE

Frustrated, Steph shakes her head. "Boss! I can't drain that thing! Not easily anyway! It's... more resistant to my power than I thought it might be! I'll keep trying!"

The creature shook its head, then leapt at the nearest opponent (Terra Firmas Earth creature) and SWUNG!

"How can anything so big move so fas..." started the Earth creature...

OOC Dex 10 + Roll(2d10)+0: 10,5,+0 Total:25 vs Dex 10 + Roll(2d10)+0: 7,3,+0 Total:20. +3 EV (to 25) vs RV 10 = 15 Damage! Earth Elemental is destroyed!

SMASH!

The Earth Golem disintegrated and sprayed earth through the air, showering everyone nearby who covered their faces and turned away.

The Wasp People took to the sky in numbers and started towards the creature.

It in turn looked about, stared balefully at the papery domes of their home then up at Frostbite in the sky. It didn't say anything, but turned and leapt through the sky, heading away with an incredible leap that saw it as a dot in the sky within a heartbeat! Frostbite knew if he pushed his Flight he could keep up with the thing but would he want to take it on alone, or perhaps see where it went?

A glance at his team showed the Earth Elemental reforming again from the ground, apparently unharmed. He could simply reform the creature but it took precious moments. Steph had a frustrated look on her face within her space suit and Probability looked like he was breathing a sigh of relief.

The wasp people looked delighted and many were already celebrating!

Did Frostbite give chase? Jarna spoke up "Boss, the shuttle is in poor shape, but we can give chase if you give me a minute or so to power everything up and get everyone on board. Orders?"

Last edited by Admin on Fri Oct 11 2019, 02:11; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Oct 10 2019, 14:33

OOC Don't know if you've had chance to check the OOC section recently but we are closing in (on 15th October) on our 10 year anniversary. Just wanted to thank you for being such a brilliant player/friend and staying the course! cheers

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Oct 12 2019, 17:03

Admin wrote:Did Frostbite give chase? Jarna spoke up "Boss, the shuttle is in poor shape, but we can give chase if you give me a minute or so to power everything up and get everyone on board. Orders?"

Frostbite congratulated the team on keeping it together adding to Reflex, "Not to worry Steph, that thing hasn't given up yet, you may yet get your chance."

Then giving quick orders to the team, he suggested the mount up and follow in the craft. If they didn't find out where the beast had come from they were in danger that it might attack again and with friends. Besides, Frostbite couldn't help but have his curiosity peaked a bit.

With a quick message to the Wasp folk, hoping they'd be back, maybe with some answers. Frostbite took off, hoping he hadn't wasted too much time getting everyone squared away.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Oct 13 2019, 13:02

Jarna ran through the launch cycle, sealing the doors and allowing everyone to take a breath of clean, albeit sterile and air conditioned oxygen.

The Wasp people had been jubilant, then confused by the departure of the team until basic words and gestures indicated the Vanguard were going after the big attacker.

Frostbite had seen his team go up against a more powerful foe than themselves... and they'd not flinched. In real terms each was relatively weak and all were inexperienced. Reflex (Steph) and the departed Surge (Kevin) were the most versed in the way of supers, but Kevin had made his choice and left the team. His growth power and incredible strength would be useful now, figured Frostbite. Perhaps it would be worth tracking him down and asking him to rejoin if the team ever got back to Earth...

"Ok, we're ready. Frostbite?" offered Jarna. He nodded and slotted into the co-pilot seat as Jarna smoothly lifted off and spun the shuttle about, dipping its nose and speeding low over the tree canopy. Her skills as a pilot were truly exceptional, and she'd made one or two comments about the shuttle handling like a space whale but gotten on with the job. It needed repairs before it was space worthy again but for now it would do the job.

The shuttle rose higher and higher. "Maybe we'll see more where... look!"

She pointed out a section in the tree canopy where leaves were still falling from the sky, and a twisted tree indicated where the creatures ultra dense bulk (Frostbite with Frostbots help guessed it weighed more than TWENTY tons!) had smashed through the trees, scattering insects, birds and metres thick tree trunks. It had then leapt up again as there was another hole punched in the canopy. Computer simulation running, Jarna altered course to track its likely direction.

Each leap was traversing around four or slightly more miles!

"This direction..." she muttered. "Don't want to get caught out again. The hull WON'T take another hit like the last one!"

Frostbite looked through the front window seeing mile after mile of jungle/forest below. Everything on the planet was bigger, wilder, more dangerous than on Earth. For superhumans to be wary of the environment told volumes about this place.

Tracking the rough general straight line direction... There. Distant mountain peaks, snow covered after several miles of sparse vegetation petered out. A huge lake, more like an inland sea, sprawled for miles like a glittering purple mirror. Beyond, the mountains, building from hills, rocky canyons and rising higher and higher quickly.

And ... there! Frostbite possessed no super vision but even he could see a distant puff of dust and rock as a dot landed and took off again miles ahead. Jarna poured on the speed. "Hang on!" she shouted back at the team.

Steph (Reflex) came forward, clinging to the back of the co-pilots chair. "What's the plan boss?" Jarna nodded, raising an eyebrow and adding "The creature will be at home in those mountains. All those rocks and valleys... It's so strong too. Remember what it did to Terra Firma..."

"I can take that all day!" shouted Terra Firma from the crew section. "I just need time to reform another golem and I'm good to go!"

They were closing in on the mountains and had only seconds at ultrasonic speed before they flew between mountain peaks to rival any on earth!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Oct 13 2019, 13:35

Admin wrote:[b]Steph (Reflex) came forward, clinging to the back of the co-pilots chair. "What's the plan boss?" Jarna nodded, raising an eyebrow and adding "The creature will be at home in those mountains. All those rocks and valleys... It's so strong too. Remember what it did to Terra Firma..."

"I can take that all day!" shouted Terra Firma from the crew section. "I just need time to reform another golem and I'm good to go!"

They were closing in on the mountains and had only seconds at ultrasonic speed before they flew between mountain peaks to rival any on earth!

Frostbite felt like telling Terra Firma not to get cocky, that was always the moment when things went wrong. In answer to Steph's question, he replied so they could all hear "First order of business is recon, we won't know what we are facing to we know more about what, why, and how. So we go in to look, moreover, in its home turf, it's bound to have the home play advantage. We don't want to play into that. But I fear if we take off and leave the wasp folk, one more of those brutal attacks may well leave them totally floured. Besides I am wondering if there are other forces at work here."

Frostbite wondered more about that gun, those who had given it but without ammo. And how a simple gun could and had repulsed the fearsome creature. Questions after question but little or no answers. This is why they had come, hoping that something will yield itself to their eyes.

"Ok as we get in closer, I think I will take a look, the ship is a bigger object that might get picked up if there are advance systems, where we might not. Jarna we want to come in without being seen if possible so I can sidle up whilst we have the advantage of surprise."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Oct 13 2019, 14:00

Jarna flew up and picked a mountain pick to tuck into. "Compensating for the wind. It's COLD out there... But that won't affect you boss!"

The others refitted helmets and fresh oxygen and power supplies. "You know, there's a power exo skeleton on this thing for loading and unloading stuff, and to counteract heavy gravity. I could wear that, and be more hands on!" said Jarna.

Frostbite pondered, then turned intangible and passed through the thinner rear door. Some of the tougher metal armoured panels would be a challenge. Outside he didn't feel the cold, and flew through the rarefied atmosphere - poison for normal humans to breathe - and ignored the acidic ultra fine mist that was impossible to see but ever present. This world required a certain kind of inhabitant it seemed. Tough, certainly, adaptable, definitely. They'd not encountered any other major indigenous...

His keen mind (OOC Int 8 + Roll(2d10)+0: 10,9,+0 Total: 27 vs Opposing Value 7 + Roll(2d10)+0: 8,1,+0 Total:16. +5 EV (to 13) vs RV 6= 7RAPs of knowledge. Success) suddenly realised that both intelligent species they'd encountered - the Wasp People and the hulking brute - were NOT natives of this world. How could they be? They weer relatively few in number and sparsely located. Certainly on this section of the continent there was only one Wasp People settlement. Somehow these creatures had been plucked from somewhere.. and placed on this world!

His earpiece crackled. "Boss. I'm scanning but there's ... something... about these mountains that is making scans go crazy! The rocks, or ore within the mountains maybe. I can only just pick up your life signs and that's because of the ear piece and scanning hard on your location! Watch yourself out there!"

Frostbite looked about, looking for the telltale crater after every landing. Swooping about, staying high in the air and looking down from above he... ah. What was that? A crater?

Also, smoke? From a mountain? Did this creature live in a defunct volcano?

"Boss! Heat signature. BIG one! Off the scale! Might be an active volcano! Watch yourself out skrrrrrzzzz!"

Frostbite turned as the signal cut off... and saw something incredible! An ENTIRE mountain was crumbling away and a creature that TOWERED thousands of metres into the air was forming! It seemed to be made of molten rock!!!

Despite being a mile away or so, it was clear this was one of the biggest creatures Frostbite had ever encountered!

The New Vanguard! Frostbite and Lionheart Issue #2 Magma-beast

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next