The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #8 - Welcome to the Major League!

3 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #8 - Welcome to the Major League! Empty The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #8 - Welcome to the Major League!

Post  Admin Thu Feb 13 2020, 09:33

Lionheart sped through the sky wondering what awaited him. He'd had little to do with the ULTRAHUMANS, the most powerful superhero group on the planet now that the Vanguard had lost their 'Dark Power' which had elevated them to something... 'beyond'.

Silver Sentinel, Thunder Woman, Atomic Champion, Lightspeed, Cosmos, Dr Mystery, Mindstar and others, their exploits were legend and known the world over! The roster had changed over the years but they handled the threats no one else could. Unfortunately that meant they were quite often removed from the affairs of mortal man and woman. The leaders, Thunder Woman and Silver Sentinel addressed the United Nations with their progress rather than the press and had a hotline to the President.

However they'd been not only 'off planet' when ADVENT appeared but 'off universe' helping to stop an interstellar war that had lasted eons. When they got back, the world had changed and only Silver Sentinels power and influence had stopped the others from charging off out the door to give the ADVENT lot a proper kicking.

As he mused he sped through the outer atmosphere and into the darkness of space!

From out of nowhere a chrome figure appeared in the blackness of space.

SILVER SENTINEL himself!

The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #8 - Welcome to the Major League! Silver-Sentinel-latest

In the airless void of space the hero floated then smiled. Whatever instincts he had could tell Lionheart was in fact who he was expecting and not an imposter! For Lionheart it was pretty much impossible to connect telepathically with Silver Sentinel because the heroes natural abilities would regard it as an attack and block it!

Instead he waved, then pointed at a distant gleaming dot. The spacecraft that served as base for the Ultrahumans often orbited the moon on the dark side, but the people of Earth sometimes saw it, and knew the Ultrahumans were watching. Lionheart could 'feel' Silver Sentinels intent for him to follow and the pair sped through space towards the ship hundreds of thousands of miles away...

...and got there in moments! Lionheart found it novel to have to strain to his limits to keep up with someone! Finally, since he'd bonded with Saladin he thought he might be 'just another member' rather than the most powerful hero about and the 'go to' for everyone else when things got slighter challenging. He knew Frostbite would give 100% all of the time, but maybe it would inspire the others to push beyond what they thought were their limits.

As he waited in the cycling airlock, he pondered those thoughts. Finally, minutes later he stepped into a corridor and was greeted not only by Silver Sentinel, but by Thunder Woman, joint leader and almost as powerful as Silver Sentinel himself! In the times they'd been pitched against each other there'd been no clear winner. Together, they were practically unbeatable!!!

The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #8 - Welcome to the Major League! Thunder-Woman

"Welcome! Welcome to the Ultrahumans Lionheart!" offered the tall beautiful woman.

She offered a hand and a warm grin. Lionheart was pretty much around 6' but this lady was statuesque, several inches taller!

"Before we go through the basics and see if you actually WANT to join, i would suggest two things. Get out of that drab jumpsuit and into something more ... 'Ultra' and consider wearing a mask. We have civilians working on this station and despite our best efforts can't guarantee anonymity or discretion. A mask, and a new costume, will sort all that out. Perhaps even a new codename?" she said but stifled a chuckle expecting the 'uptight brit' to splutter at the very suggestion!

OOC Nicked the picture from the Silver Age Sentinels RPG, the heroine 'Red Phoenix'. It'll suit our needs...

The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #8 - Welcome to the Major League! Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #8 - Welcome to the Major League! Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #8 - Welcome to the Major League! Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #8 - Welcome to the Major League!

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Feb 13 2020, 21:50

Admin wrote:"Before we go through the basics and see if you actually WANT to join, i would suggest two things. Get out of that drab jumpsuit and into something more ... 'Ultra' and consider wearing a mask. We have civilians working on this station and despite our best efforts can't guarantee anonymity or discretion. A mask, and a new costume, will sort all that out. Perhaps even a new codename?" she said but stifled a chuckle expecting the 'uptight brit' to splutter at the very suggestion!

OOC Nicked the picture from the Silver Age Sentinels RPG, the heroine 'Red Phoenix'. It'll suit our needs...

Lionheart smiled a congenial smile and then said "It's kind of you to think of me. I was born a clone, have no family so to speak and so no identity of loved ones to protect. So I'm good if its all the same to you."

Looking around at the station he had to marvel how far technology had come in this century, although not a patch on what he'd seen, even Timmy's tinpot army in the Microverse would give this a run for its money. But still, it wasn't unimpressive. Lionheart decided to keep his comments to himself. He knew they might be touchy if he wasn't somewhat impressed.

"So I've been one of this universe and then some for the last year, this Advent group - you'd best catch me up on them and indeed what the plan of action is now going forward?"

OOC: Sorry jumping around different threads as time allowed today. So trying to catch up now. You have been a busy bee ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #8 - Welcome to the Major League! Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #8 - Welcome to the Major League!

Post  Admin Fri Feb 14 2020, 09:04

OOC No worries on posting - keep to your own pace I won't chase too much Smile

Silver Sentinel explained.

"We were away ourselves trying to sort out an interstellar conflict that threatened to spill into our part of the galaxy. Unfortunately it took longer than we thought and getting back proved... eventful." the hero said with a frown on his face.

Thunder Woman added "That's an understatement!" as they walked down a corridor in the huge ship.

"To cut a long story short we got back, learnt about the giant monsters rampaging across cities and ADVENTs 'fortuitous' arrival to sort it out. Strange that in every case the monsters were active long enough to kill, cripple or severely injure most of the major superhumans in those cities that were smashed up. Of course, their Alien technology allowed the cities to be rebuilt in record time and the grateful nations of Europe, Russia, China and a number of others integrated ADVENT into their ruling governments. When we got back the impulse for many of our members was to charge off and start punching heads in but the United Nations and our own President put a stop to that. If we attack Advent we'd be declaring war on those countries... In many cases they've made it clear that we are NOT welcome in their territory. We suspect the rulers have been coerced or even replaced by Aliens - we know some can shape shift. So where does that leave us?" said Sentinel.

"We still have a job to do. We protect Earth from the threats no other band of supers can tackle. We don't 'do' street level stuff. There's plenty of others to do that but there's nothing to stop you acting alone how you so wish. When we are gathered together it means there is a threat too big for any one hero to handle. All the while we have people looking into ADVENT and keeping an eye on what they are planning. So far very little has come out of those 'occupied' countries and we suspect foul play but without proof...? In the meantime we have a number of irons in the fire. One demanding my personal attention will take me away for a week or so. Thunder Woman has a conference of World leaders to attend, Dr Mystery is doing his thing on another plane of existence to protect us from Demonic hordes, Atomic Champion was wounded last time out and still recovering, Lightspeed and Thunderclap are on honeymoon...The list goes on. You'll start to see how thin spread we are, and why we need to bolster our numbers. After the last extended stay away Flux, Captain Victory and Might Maiden all have personal stuff to attend to... Jupiter is thinking of leaving the team after the fallout with Nightburn..."

He stopped, shrugging and spreading his hands, exasperated. "Despite our power we can't be in two places at once."

"Ahem." said Thunder Woman.

"Oh alright, Duplex can, but we have things that need covering and don't require all of the team, that's why we need you and others. What we propose is to send you and the other candidates out on a mission to see how you fare. After that you can decide if you want in and we'll decide if you're the right fit. On a number of occasions we've had members who were so similar to each other that it cost us in terms of flexibility and we decided to set a few house rules. That said, if you're as powerful as we think you are then it doesn't matter what powers you have that 'cross over'. I want you in, Thunder Woman is..."

"Making her mind up. Like Sentinel says too many of the same powers can leave us short in other areas. We're pretty thin on mentalists though and you tick boxes across the board so I'm leaning more towards 'in' than 'out'." she says.

They started walking again and Sentinel chuckled "She's tough to convince but when you do, she'll be your best friend on the team."

"Hey!" she said "Still here!" with a playful punch on the arm for Sentinel. Lionheart saw a field shimmer slightly about Sentinel as she hit and he laughed it off. "Thunder Woman will run you through the rules, the do's and don'ts, get you some security clearance then it's to the danger room where Challenger will put you through your paces. She's a hard taskmaster though so watch it! We need to have an idea of what you can do as we don't have too much information about you. It's up to you if you share personal details. As you mentioned you have no relatives or secret ID to worry about but that might cause problems for those that do. Also we have a certain look and image to maintain - not my idea but the press want us all clean and sparkly for the cameras so plain green jumpsuits might not cut it."

He paused at a door and turned to shake Lionhearts hand. "I have a good feeling about you. Not just because of my powers - I can detect Evil amongst other things - but it's rare I've been disappointed when we recruit new members. I would prefer if you wore a mask so that when you mix with some of the others who do have Secret IDs people don't come to the obvious conclusion about why Lionheart is hanging out with Joe Smith, businessman who's also secretly Superguy, but the ultimate decision is up to you."

"Superguy is really Joe Smith?" gasped Thunder Woman theatrically. Silver Sentinel rolled his eyes and nodded to Lionheart before turning to Thunder Woman. "Mind the fort. I'll be back in a week or so and we'll see how we're getting on with Lionheart and the others." He leaned in to passionately kiss Thunder Woman on the mouth then stepped through the door into a lift. With a smile he gave a friendly farewell wave to Lionheart and the lift hissed shut.

"So." Thunder Woman said as she turned back to Lionheart. "Questions?"

The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #8 - Welcome to the Major League! Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #8 - Welcome to the Major League! Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Feb 14 2020, 15:50

Admin wrote:"Superguy is really Joe Smith?" gasped Thunder Woman theatrically. Silver Sentinel rolled his eyes and nodded to Lionheart before turning to Thunder Woman. "Mind the fort. I'll be back in a week or so and we'll see how we're getting on with Lionheart and the others." He leaned in to passionately kiss Thunder Woman on the mouth then stepped through the door into a lift. With a smile he gave a friendly farewell wave to Lionheart and the lift hissed shut.

"So." Thunder Woman said as she turned back to Lionheart. "Questions?"

"Well first thank you, I think is in order. Its good to be with a group that might mean I don't need to outshine the rest of the team, not that there were any problems, but I never wanted anyone to slacken off because well you must know...

Anyway questions, I think can wait. I see what you mean about the mask and look, that's a fair point I'd never had to consider before. Perhaps you have a team seamstress or some doohickey that does up new costumes for you and I can take a look. Something in blue, I think. As for personal details. I'll keep it to myself, for now, not having any secret ID doesn't mean I don't have a life. And as well as you checking me out, I'm also checking you guys out as well."

OOC: let's get to it, not sure if there is still a functioning version of the portrait maker anymore, so might need to do something sometime. But blue and a gold lion icon and maybe some sort of helmet like a Roman but with the Lion sort of embossed to it. With an eye visor that meant Lionhearts eyes and so forth are shielded and the face partly shrouded.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Feb 14 2020, 21:42

ooc: Something like Lord Bravery from the old Freakazoid Cartoon - two season on Netflix if you never seen it.

The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #8 - Welcome to the Major League! Lord_b10
The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #8 - Welcome to the Major League! Lord_b11
The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #8 - Welcome to the Major League! Braver10

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Feb 15 2020, 08:30

OOC Heromachine does still work but not on Chrome. I use Firefox but just can't get on with Heromachine 3 so use 2.5.

It's a bit plain but for now it will suffice. More later from me.

The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #8 - Welcome to the Major League! Lionheart-propsed-costume-v1

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Feb 15 2020, 08:39

Thunder Woman nodded. "That's what all this is about. Aside from Sentinels instincts we just need to make sure you're a team player, your powers suit the team and that YOU are happy to be part of the Ultrahumans. There are other benefits of course. You'll have a list of houses to live in rent free at various locations, car, current salary is $100,000 a week but we're looking to up that. You can't be a full time hero if you are running a business or have to hold down a job."

Money had never been a consideration for Lionheart. Where he'd come from there wasn't anyway, simply a credit system where the work you did accrued credits and used them to purchase things all done electronically. The need for robbing banks or stealing from people had been mostly eliminated. Of course there were other crimes requiring law enforcement.

She led Lionheart to another door and inside was a lab with a large sphere in the centre. Banks of computers around the place and screens along with a white coated scientist who was typing away at a screen. She looked up and removed her glasses to shake hands with Lionheart and offered "Hello! You must be one of the newbies! I'm Dr Elizabeth Kenning and one of the team that comes up with new equipment for the Ultrahumans. Q branch for you Brits and James Bond fans, if you like." she smiled.

"When you're finished here meet in the room at the end of the hall signed 'Conference' and you'll meet the other inductees." said Thunder Woman and she left.

Kenning smiled again "Right, let's get you suited and booted! Preferences?"

OOC Have a play about if you can get Heromachine or http://fabricadeherois.com.br/ working

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Feb 16 2020, 22:59

OOC: will do, I've started a character file but of course it takes time to get the results you want. When I get back I'll give it a go. I don't mind using the proxy above until then.

"well... " Lionheart replied and a short time later dressed accordingly he said

"that'll do for now, we can say is a work in progress. Right so let's get this site on the road, I'm keen to see what you've got and whether we can make a difference. Singer these hoops and Rick boxes are ticked the better as far as I'm concerned "

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 17 2020, 20:21

Kenning shrugged "Plainer than the others but functional is as good as flashy I think! No need to make yourself the brightest target on a battlefield."

Lionheart smoothed down the front of the costume and looked in the full length mirror on the wall.

It would do for now. Chances were he might not make the grade or feel somewhat stifled by this more... regimented... group of heroes than his friends in the Vanguard so might be around too long. With a nod of thanks to Kenning he made his way down the corridor ever aware through a 'sense of being watched' that cameras followed his every move. leaving him the run of this vast ship with his superhuman speed might seem foolish but these people were the most powerful superheroes on planet Earth, with Lionheart probably (at best) somewhere in the middle with regards power level. They had nothing to fear from him - he was honourable, a hero and here for a reason, to see if his powers could be used for the benefit of mankind on a ... grander... scale.

What of any others though...

The door swished open to reveal a VAST auditorium with rows and rows of seats around a circular area in the centre of the room where there were gathered various costumed types who were speaking to each other. Some showed interest at the newcomer, others barely gave a glance and some ignored him. Tough crowd or...

The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #8 - Welcome to the Major League! Team-tryouts

OOC Gotta love the internet for deviantart and so on. Copyright the artists etc.

The tall muscular woman in green (2nd from left) came over and offered a hand to shake. Lionheart looked up.. .and up... "Hi!" she said in accented English. "I am..." she struggled "English learning. Ummm. Combat Queen. Translation. Hmmm" she frowned, but her smile seemed genuine. She had to be nigh on seven feet tall!

Lionhearts hand more or less vanished in her huge hand but she didn't try crushing it in some macho test of strength.

The one that looked animal-like called out "I'm Cougar. Stay outta my way n you'll get on just fine."

"Don't mind him." said Combat Queen. "He's not a team player. I don't even know why he's here."

"He's here because his power level makes him a valuable asset to the Ultrahumans, the most powerful super team on planet Earth" said the floating woman in orange/peach. She spoke in everyones' mind. "I am Mind Maiden. Welcome, hero. Tell us about yourself."

Lionheart could feel she had more mental power than he did! However she might not be able to do the things he could. This could be... interesting!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Feb 17 2020, 22:12

Having nodded appreciatively to Combat Queen for the welcome, he turned to the Mind Maiden, "Thanks for the welcome, I sense you have some pretty powerful mental assets. Formidable I guess you might know me from working out of England, where I'm known as Lionheart. I've worked with a group called the Vanguard. Though I've been very off world for the past year. So tell me what is the nature of our try out today? Is it last man or women...
he said with a sly wink to Combat Queen "or are we to team up and go against one another?"

With such a large group Lionheart was curious to see what the group would be put through and what to expect from such an eclectic bunch. He guessed for some the financial security and the kudos was part of the lure, for other simple altruism or principles. But in any case it would be a test of the Ultrahumans to see if ultra also meant wise and benevolent or in their testing or risk takers willing to take risks with these folk to see who came top. Probably like one of those innane talent shows Wandafar swears blind he never watched.

Lionheart was curious to see how this was all going to pan out.

Sj

OOC:
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 18 2020, 19:44

Defender spoke up "Good question!" He walked over to shake Lionhearts hand. He, like most of the others here were American but there were some from foreign shores.

"If it's a straight up scrap to see who hits the hardest I'm not interested! I won't perform like some kind of boxer for the enjoyment of the Ultrahumans! This process needs to take place and be resolved quickly. Somewhere there is a crime happening and Chicago can't go long without it's foremost Defender" he says, looking away to some distant point as he slightly puffs out his chest and adopts a classic pose.

There's silence until Proton pipes up with a "Are you for real?"

That elicits laughter from some of the others and Defender at first pulls a face then he chuckles, adding to the laughter. "I'm new to all this!" he exclaims. "I don't know what to say in front of you guys! You've probably been doing this for years and I... I have to... uh... learn. Ummm."

Lionheart couldn't be sure but despite the adult appearance of the hero in blue and red he wondered about him. He got the feeling Defender was a much younger person than the late twenties he appeared...

Just then Thunder Woman came in with another hero.

"ATOMIC CHAMPION!" explained Defender. He looked excited and jumped up and down clapping excitedly until he glanced about at the nonplussed heroes around him. "What? That's Atomic Champion! Don't you guys know him? I have a poster of him on my wall and... what?"

Cougar snarled "How old are you? Ten?"

Defender blushed and spluttered "I..."

Thunder Woman rose into the air to call out "ENOUGH!" before adding "Enough. Age is not a limitation on this team. However being able to meet commitments IS! You should all bear that in mind. Sometimes our work takes us away for a long time, and by away I mean across the universe!"

Lionheart kept quiet. He'd been into a microverse AND across the universe in the last year!

Thunder Woman continued "The work we do as Ultra Humans is the kind that no one else can do! We need to..."

"When are we having a crack at ADVENT." asked Aquator. "That's why I'm here. Those punks need smashing!"

Cougar turned as if seeing the ocean based hero for the first time. "Yeah. YEAH! I'm with you on that fish breath!"

Aquator turned, giving a blank stare at the violent pugilist.

Thunder Woman spoke up again "If I have to raise my voice again I won't be happy!"

Atomic Champion rose into the air and added his voice "Trust me guys even I toe the line. Be nice, be heroic, BEHAVE!" he declared, glowing brightly enough that everyone had to shield their eyes some. Lionheart noted a wince on his face as he did so. It appeared he'd not recovered from his recent combat induced injuries.

"So, here's what we're doing. I will take a team and Atomic Champion will take a team. We will patrol, answer calls for help, sort out emergency situations and be... heroes. We are watching for team players, effective use of powers, getting the job done and above all, protecting the lives of innocent bystanders. We will be watching and hanging back. You will sort out the situations that crop up no matter how minor. You might think an old lady being mugged is below you, but maybe the mugger is part of a bigger gang that holds an entire neighbourhood in fear. Stop the gang and you improve the lives of thousands of people. Little job, bigger picture and greater result. You are more powerful than most other heroes out there. You need to adapt to EVERY situation. How do you stop a dam from bursting, put out a brush fire, quell a Tsunami..." said Thunder Woman.

"Huh." snorted Aquator. "Easy."

Atomic Champion looked over "I can see we have a couple of wise asses here. Looks like I don't hold the title any more!"

"They'll have to go some to match you." muttered Thunder Woman. "Right. We're dividing up and see if we can get on for 24 hours straight without strangling each other. Silver Sentinel REALLY owes me for this." she mutters.

OOC It's team picking time... for Dave Eadie! Yes, you can divide the teams as you see fit into a 5/4 split and decide who goes with Thunder Woman, who with Atomic Champion. You don't know the stats of those in the picture and... neither do I! I haven't statted them up yet! if you fancy a crack at suggesting powers and abilities for the characters I'll be happy to use those as a basis for character creation. Basically it's about you as much as it is me and I don't want to shovel stuff at you until it washes over you in a wave of names and cardboard cutout characters. So, take as long as you need, consider it a fun (?) homework assignment and see what you come up with...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Feb 18 2020, 19:51

OOC: great I'll be back home tomorrow so will give it a look and reply in the next day or so as time allows.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Feb 19 2020, 15:21

Admin wrote:OOC It's team picking time... for Dave Eadie! Yes, you can divide the teams as you see fit into a 5/4 split and decide who goes with Thunder Woman, who with Atomic Champion. You don't know the stats of those in the picture and... neither do I! I haven't statted them up yet! if you fancy a crack at suggesting powers and abilities for the characters I'll be happy to use those as a basis for character creation. Basically it's about you as much as it is me and I don't want to shovel stuff at you until it washes over you in a wave of names and cardboard cutout characters. So, take as long as you need, consider it a fun (?) homework assignment and see what you come up with...[/i][/color]

OOC:

ok here goes some suggestions
Team 1 - in which I am in as well
Lionheart
1 Aquator – Earth Manipulation, heat perhaps weather pattern powers
1 Defender – Pugilist, perhaps some defensive powers like a healer but only to buff others
1 Solar Girl – Light, light perception, emanation etc
1 Combat queen =Strength, toughness leaping maybe

2 Blue Eagle
2 Cougar
2 Mind Maiden
2 Proton
2 Atomic champion

I decided to put Cougar where I thought he do most good and not get on my nerves ;-). And split Defender from his hero whom he might try to rashly impress or do something else inexperienced.

I've also included broadly their powers as per your suggestion really thinking in terms of look and name etc. Don't know how easy it is to stat these out, but I'm not bothered if you handwave them as long as you don't me ;-).

Ok, I think we are ready to go if you are.

Once the teams had been split, Lionheart was pleased that he and the Mind Maiden had been put apart, as far as he could tell there was no one else who seemed to be a speedster which meant he filled a gap that no one else was competing for. He also was glad to see Defender put with them, as he intended to keep an eye out for the "kid". Who seemed greener then ever he remembered himself being when he began.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Feb 19 2020, 17:48

OOC I will go as much as I can with the powers for the characters as you list. Aquator I planned to be some kind of water based character so probably a change there (the clue is in the name).

Thunder Woman divided the teams (OOC with a nod to Dave E Very Happy ) and laid out the ground rules. "We have 24/7 cover on monitor duty."

"Anything that pings up using a special code gets routed to us. That 'special code' is known to the FBI, Homeland Security and police HQ operators. That means something is too big for local authorities to handle. Furthermore that code was known to pretty much every country in the world when natural disasters cropped up. We had to revise that after ADVENT cried wolf and set up an ambush for us. In the middle of Africa we turned up to what supposedly was an Earthquake caused by a metahuman and found an army of ADVENT goons waiting for us. In short, there was a fight and ADVENT were beaten off. They vanished simultaneously leaving some of us injured and with no proof that it had ever happened save our say so. Further attempts to trap some of our members with the biggest hitters away convinced us that any country with ADVENT as part of their government must be overlooked in terms of aid. It pains us to do so but they control the media and we're currently not portrayed in a good light in those countries, to say the least."

She sighed and added "They WILL slip up in the face of the worlds media and people will KNOW they represent the greatest threat to humanity we've ever seen. Until then the next move is theirs. They know they can't take us in a straight up fight but they are devious and will try to find out and exploit any weaknesses. Divided we fall. Together? The Ultrahumans WILL prevail, I am sure of it."

"Right then. Atomic Champion will take Blue Eagle, Cougar, Mind Maiden, Proton. I will take the rest. Discuss amongst yourselves what you plan to do to pass the time before you're called out. We aren't staging anything. These are REAL situations. Lives may be at stake. You are all heroes, some more experienced than others. Consider this - the more inexperienced of you may be the most useful, or most powerful depending on the situation. For anyone thinking of taking charge and throwing out orders bear in mind that path can often lead to friction and working ineffectively. How you deal with all this will be watched and evaluated. EVERYTHING you do will be watched, and evaluated over the next 24 hours."

"What if I need to go to the john?" asked Cougar.

Thunder Woman stared daggers which Cougar simply laughed at. "You take things too seriously boss woman. Sure, what we do is important and serious most of the time but the rest of the time we should lighten up. There's no need to..."

BLAR BLAR BLAR BLAR BLAR!

An alarm went off and Thunder Woman walked calmly to a comm panel on the wall. Pressing several buttons she piped the voice over loudspeaker. "Duplex, what do you have for us?"

"Something coming through... Huh. Jailbreak in Texas. Metahuman supermax facility. Local cops are outmatched and outgunned. Priority one. Another one. Details... strange. Something has been stolen from the Ultrahuman museum of exploits... what could...OHMIGOD!" declared Duplex.

"What?" asked Thunder Woman.

"The Nexus Gauntlet! It's been taken!"

Thunder Woman frowned and turned. "Nexus was a villain who could bend reality to his will. He was one of the first villains we defeated as a team and the Gauntlet was nothing other than a leather glove when we examined it. Nothing fancy, technological, magical about it... no test we ran suggested it did anything so it went in the museum with other stuff we gathered over the years. All the weapons in there are either duplicates or have been deactivated. There's nothing we figured that could be a threat even if someone circumvented the extensive security. A former member called Acumen once theorised it was not that the Gauntlet provided power but that it provided the final link in a kind of jigsaw that activated Nexus' powers. Hmmm. I... no. Duplex, keep quiet. This is the newbies show."

"Well?" she asked of those gathered.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Feb 19 2020, 18:50

OOC: normally where Frostbite would take a lead Lionheart is more a stand back and see what needs to be done. So I'm happy to be lead for the time being this is their show and I'm a guest to try out. But he won't be slow when it comes to taking action as we know. But for now, unless all the heavy hitters get knocked out or I'm in my own I'll take orders and do as I'm told or offer suggestions since they don't know my powers. Anyway. ...

Lionheart was keen to get off as much as the rest. So pipped in, "where do we go, point me in the right direction and I'll get head to scout if you'd wish... "

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Feb 21 2020, 17:21

1 Aquator – Earth Manipulation, heat perhaps weather pattern powers
1 Defender – Pugilist, perhaps some defensive powers like a healer but only to buff others
1 Solar Girl – Light, light perception, emanation etc
1 Combat queen =Strength, toughness leaping maybe

Aquator looked about at his new companions. "My powers are tied to the oceans and in them, I am near supreme. However I do need to... replenish my abilities in water."

"I believe the museum is in Washington. That would better suit me than the desert area where the supermax is rumoured to be, but I shall bow to the wishes of the group."

Defender shrugged "I'm easy. I guess the Supermax place will be crazy and people running everywhere and fighting but the museum? Ummm, I mean that doesn't sound too exciting..."

Solar Girl looked thoughtful. "The others will definitely go for the Supermax. More glory for Cougar, no doubt. Maybe the chance to use our brains at the museum will impress the Ultrahumans."

Combat Queen frowned. "I'd much rather get stuck into the Supermax prison and crack some heads together!"

They all turned to you.

OOC And Lionheart holds the casting vote...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Feb 21 2020, 17:45

Admin wrote:[size=18]1 Aquator – Earth Manipulation, heat perhaps weather pattern powers
[i]OOC And Lionheart holds the casting vote...
[/color]

Lionheart smiled, "Friends, in this game flexibility is always best, this time we get the museum, next time we get the supermax, but let's play with our strengths, Aquator needs water, the rest of us can manage without. But if we are going to work as a team, we'd best make sure we take account of everyone and not just do our own thing. For me its the Museum."

Lionheart registered the obvious disappointment of some and was that a look of relief from Aquatar? Who knew, masks made it hard to tell and he wasn't an expert in reading their body language yet. But he knew that making sure they all had a good shot at getting in was far more important than just getting your own way.

OOC: Ok so Lionheart is happy to scout ahead and no engage, giving a read on the situation and relaying info back to the rest of the team. Having said we go together or not at all would hardly be sporting if he got in and started to dust up before the others had a chance to shine. I've been thinking about this Paul, I know that telling me through an NPC what to do through an NPC isn't fun, so how about I make decisions for the team as I would with Frostbite, but then have you relay that through the NPC in charge. BTW do we get Thunder Woman or Atomic Champion, just reading it back I might have missed it but it wasn't obvious. Anyway, see what you think. I am happy to take orders, but I appreciate its a bit meta if you do that through an NPC.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Feb 21 2020, 18:34

OOC I'll offer you the choices as a player and have the team (one of the players) step up as leader and seem to give the decision (if that's what you are implying - I'm not up on the various terms of meta gaming whatever that is). This is about you and not a bunch of NPCs so I'm happy to go with whatever you suggest.

Aquator glanced at Lionheart and gave a slight, respectful nod.

Combat Queen frowned then grinned and shrugged. "What the heck! Maybe it will be fun!" she said as she tried to convince herself.

Solar Girl piped up "I can move at the speed of light so I should scout!"

Defender shrugged. "I'm er good with whatever!"

Cougar called over "Hey second stringers! We get the supermax! Tough luck Combat Queen! No chance to see if that rep of yours as a bad ass is legit or hogwash!" he laughed. Atomic Champion (who was with Cougars team) called out "That's enough! Cougar, you and I need to have a chat. banter is fine, and dare I say it I've perfected the art, but being an asshole is not!"

Cougar spun and bared his teeth. Lionheart raised an eyebrow. The man was fast and that was something he as a speedster could appreciate. He was dangerous and unpredictable. Thunder Woman landed between the pair. "Cougar! Enough! You are on watch. One misstep or raised fist against any other team member or newbie and you're out! Another thing..." she landed and stepped in to stare at Cougar eye to eye "You EVER threaten anyone gathered here make sure I'm not in earshot or I will humiliate you. How does that sound, kitty cat?"

Cougars eyes changed to slits and his ears pinned back, razor sharp claws extending from fingers and his muscles stood out like corded steel!

Thunder Woman didn't bat an eyelid.

Blue Eagle called out "Time is ticking and we need to get down there! We are heroes! We need to start acting like it!"

The spell seemed to break and Cougar blinked and seemed to look around, confused. "You.. you're right. I'm sorry." he muttered very quietly. "Sometimes the instincts to ... never mind. You don't have to worry about me Thunder Woman. Sorry Combat Queen."

Combat Queen shrugged and laughed out loud "Had you really insulted me I'd have happily given you a lesson! I'm sure you have a few moves that I could learn from too. Tell you what, after this is done how about we spar a little?"

Cougars eyes narrowed... then relaxed and he grinned. "Heh, it's a date. And if anyone is starting up a pool, put a hundred bucks on me!"

The heroes started to walk to the exit and Thunder Woman spoke quietly to Atomic Champion. "Do I need to..."

"No, don't tell me. Keep an eye on him. I think his heart is in the right place but whatever gives him his powers and instincts maybe over rules his common sense. We'll see. Takes guts to swallow your pride and apologise in front of a group though."

"You never did!" laughed Thunder Woman.

"Whatever." laughed Atomic Champion.

=========

In a flash of light the team appeared in a park in the front area of the Museum of the Ultrahumans in Washington DC".

Aquator spoke up. "The Potomac River nearby will sustain me. I'll join you here shortly."

Thunder Woman floated by, impassive. She'd gathered the team and put them into the transportation room before activating the controls and teleporting them to the site of the museum. It was early evening and dark out, the museum closed to visitors but obviously someone had decided to ignore the rules. "Right then, you lot are in charge, I'm here to watch and even if Professor Death turns up with an army of Vampires I'm going to float right here, arms crossed! You want in the Ultrahumans? Prove it! Do we want and need you? This is your chance to show us that we can't do without you!"

Solar Girl looked up. "Hmmm. My powers are lessened at night. I uh, might not be able to move at lightspeed after all."

Combat Queen chuckled. "One needs to go for a swim, the other needs to wait till morning!"

Defender piped up "I'm okay!"

Combat Queen shrugged "Well, i suggest we split up but keep in contact and check the place out. Defender, with me at the front. Solar Girl, see if you can watch the whole place from the air. Lionheart, check out the back of the place. When Aquator gets back send him round the back and if anyone untoward looks like making a break for it, stop them Solar Girl!"

"Hey I can do more than... okay. I'll keep watch." she muttered.

Combat Queen turned to Lionheart. "Sound good?See what's going on then we come up with a plan. Chances are they have been in and out with this glove, whatever it is."

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Feb 21 2020, 21:10

Admin wrote:

Combat Queen shrugged "Well, i suggest we split up but keep in contact and check the place out. Defender, with me at the front. Solar Girl, see if you can watch the whole place from the air. Lionheart, check out the back of the place. When Aquator gets back send him round the back and if anyone untoward looks like making a break for it, stop them Solar Girl!"

"Hey, I can do more than... okay. I'll keep watch," she muttered.

Combat Queen turned to Lionheart. "Sound good? See what's going on then we come up with a plan. Chances are they have been in and out with this glove, whatever it is."

OOC: This is all good, I like how you laid it out so that they all have different personalities etc

Lionheart nodded, he could see that the team was green, and it would be interesting to see how experienced they were. Solar Girl's obvious limitation at night was something she'd not thought to mention. And though Aquator's like of hydro sustenance was a drawback, again he didn't seem to have worked out a way around that in the time that he had been working as a hero. Still, the others didn't seem so green. Combat Queen was unafraid to make her point and to mobilise everyone. It suited him to follow a lead, but he would be unafraid to make suggestions or even take a lead if Combat Queen was unable to direct the team. It just wasn't his forte to lead when others who might be better at it could do it instead. He didn't need to be good at everything.

With that said, he was gone in a flash moving at his normal fast speed, to get around the back and survey things with his senses all full alert.

Admin wrote:OOC I'll offer you the choices as a player and have the team (one of the players) step up as leader and seem to give the decision (if that's what you are implying - I'm not up on the various terms of metagaming whatever that is). This is about you and not a bunch of NPCs so I'm happy to go with whatever you suggest.

OOC: Meta in the sense of the big picture, when you as DM are telling a Character what to do, it's hard to separate their micro view of things from your meta-view of things and inadvertently give things away or make it harder so as not to give an advantage. Compartmentalising yourself as it were. However, this works I am happy to follow Combat Queen's lead as Lionheart would do if it were Frostbite. You know its funny because often the danger we face and the complex challenges are a threat to us. But I'd like to see Lionheart do well in this to follow up becoming a member of the team. So the real threat is to have that dangled in front of him and then have it taken away...not that he or I for that matter would step in the way of another NPC getting their shot. But the fact that he/we want this but it's not a foregone conclusion creates a real challenge and a desire on our part, character and player, to do well here and get in - but by honourable and well-earned means.

Anyway back to the story, senses out, danger sense heightened senses etc, and go for clue gathering, danger spotting and situation threat assessment.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Feb 22 2020, 08:06

The back of the museum housed various entrances for supplies, cleaners and the like.

Where he stood outside the gates Lionherat looked about...

OOC Perception. Ok now perception in this game is handled using Intelligence (Int) and Will in this game. That's wrong to me as animals have fantastic senses but aren't exactly einstein for the most part. For me, I might suggest a Perception Stat to cover when those dumb as rock characters (like Hulk) can still notice things. Mind you I don't think Hulk would notice a baseball bat to the back of the head.

In the meantime Lionheart has Int 9 Will 7...

Int 9 + Roll(2d12)+0: 5,3,+0 Total:8 (17) vs
OV6 + Roll(2d12)+0: 5,4,+0 Total:9 (15)

+2 EV (to 9) vs RV 6 = 3 RAPs. That grants the following knowledge:

1 RAP There is nothing outwardly untowards. All locks are still locked, no windows broken, no obvious signs of entry.
3 RAP The video cameras pointing to the back entrance have been altered in some way. A wire is jutting from the wall which seems splayed and have been cut with a small piece of extra wire inserted. There are three cameras and all look to have been altered the same way.

Lionheart took a look about. He noticed the camera... and another and another. All three cameras at the back of the place had been subtly altered. Whatever they'd done had been subtle and careful at first but clearly time had run out or the thief/thieves had been disturbed and thrown caution to the wind (hence the alarm being raised). So they possibly came in this way. As a former policeman he used to carry stuff that would allow him to investigate crime scenes but these days he spent most of his time punching world shaking bad guys in the teeth.

He looked closely at the locks. His telescopic vision was of no use. It brought far things closer. He needed microscopic vision to look for fingerprints and signs of passing.

Floating up and up he looked about the back of the large old building. The roof was sloped and cameras posted on that might have picked something up and... ah. A glance in the right place shows ALL the cameras had been altered. Someone had been very careful then something had happened to disturb them then the plan had been thrown out.

That left Lionheart with the choice whether to enter the place with his own abilities (OOC At 14 Thief I should think he could give Mister Miracle a few lessons in escapology and sneaking about) or go back round the front where Combat Queen was doubtless conversing with the Museum security guard or guards assuming they had them.

OOC A definite change of pace in this one as you can tell!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Feb 23 2020, 11:52

Admin wrote:OOC A definite change of pace in this one as you can tell![/color]

OOC: Yes indeed. Lionheart will report in his findings and ask if he should seek entry, and see if he can't route whoever is in there out toward the front?
Assuming that is affirmative, he'll pick the lock and go for getting in, at speed. Since it seems that the place has been carefully entered but then things have subtle or disastrously gone wrong (perhaps a night at the museum-style) he will not need to be too cautious and can speed through the place to survey what is going on.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 23 2020, 19:31

Combat Queen responded on the comms. "Looks like whoever was here has been and gone, but they can't have been too long ago..."

"Go in the back way, look for clues and watch for booby traps!!!" she said over the earpiece.

Lionheart didn't need telling twice.

OOC This will be a cakewalk.

Dex 22 (with superspeed) + Thief Roll(7d12)+0: 9,5,9,10,11,7,12,+0 Total: 18 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 6,1,+0 Total:7 (47) vs
OV 6 + Roll(2d12)+0: 12,4,+0 Total:16 (22)

+7EV (to 29) vs RV6 = 23 RAPS. Ridiculous! Very Happy

With a blur of hands the lock was picked with a piece of improvised barb wire plucked from the fence in less than 0.00004 seconds. Lionheart moved on through the museum noting the various exhibits and zipped to a halt beside a smashed glass case with a mannequins bare hand inside.

Defender came in "Hey I thought I heard... OH! How did you...?" he looked astonished and then glanced about. "Is anyone still here? We found a couple of downed guards. They have been drugged with darts but should recover. Combat Queen is speaking to the police right now. oh! Is that where the glove was? Hmm."

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Feb 24 2020, 08:24

Admin wrote:Defender came in "Hey I thought I heard... OH! How did you...?" he looked astonished and then glanced about. "Is anyone still here? We found a couple of downed guards. They have been drugged with darts but should recover. Combat Queen is speaking to the police right now. oh! Is that where the glove was? Hmm."

Lionheart didn't stop to chat, just quickly added, "Not seen our quarry, so going to look for any clues..." And with that sped off to where the glove was kept and indeed anything else that might account for the alarm being tripped, but the perpetrators being so resoundingly absent.

OOC: OK so its detective time I guess. Lionheart will first scan from top to bottom, and then seek whatever clues he can around the place. If I can do it at superspeed all good and well I might need to slow down. When it comes to the likely hot spots where the action was...I will try my postcognition to see if I can unwind what happened here and any traces that explain the sudden disappearance of the perps and where they might be. If I need to I'll bung some HP into getting a good read. A die apiece for accuracy and effect.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 25 2020, 21:39

Lionheart whizzes around, careful to avoid the many exhibits and mannequins depicting epic fights between the varied members of the Ultrahumans against the myriad villains they'd faced over the years.

He didn't have time to sight see though and made sure to look about for clues...

OOC Int 9 + Roll(2d12)+0: 6,5,+0 Total:11 (20) vs
OV8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 10,10,+0 Total:20 (28) DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 9,12,+0 Total:21 (49)
FAILED to spot anything. Dice have been wacky tonight for all the good guys.

The super speedy hero was frustrated by his inability to find any clues. Was he looking about the place too fast or was there nothing to find?

Screeching to a halt at the broken case displaying the villain Nexus' gauntlet he looked over the case.

OOC First time I think Lionheart has used this power? Basically have a guess as to how far you want to look back in time, that determines how hard it is to get some glimpse into the past. The team transported down after getting the alert 15 minutes ago and it's possible the break in happened within an hour or so of that. Maybe longer and it took a while to discover or note that the security guards weren't checking in with their home base. Anyway, take a swing at how far you want to look back at we'll go from there.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Feb 25 2020, 21:55

Admin wrote:OOC First time I think Lionheart has used this power? Basically have a guess as to how far you want to look back in time, that determines how hard it is to get some glimpse into the past. The team transported down after getting the alert 15 minutes ago and it's possible the break in happened within an hour or so of that. Maybe longer and it took a while to discover or note that the security guards weren't checking in with their home base. Anyway, take a swing at how far you want to look back at we'll go from there.

OOC: I think I did use it once before...but anyway

Lionheart concentrated, with taking into consideration what he knew he figured the last hour or so would be sufficient - he certainly hoped he'd find out more here than a big zilch. So far not turning up much he felt was both disappointing for him and moreover not really a good showcase of his powers. It had been some time since he had used Postcognition, it simply didn't come up that often, but now he hoped he could do what it needed despite the lack of practice.

OOC: OK on the basis that an hour should be good...assuming I get any read I'll then go report to the others and if not report to the others with little to offer I guess

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next