The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack!

3 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 4 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack!

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Nov 26 2020, 15:31

"I think if I were Advent, as a precaution, I would put some bugs in those cases," Nick "The Haunt" Carter replies. "A "bug" is a device using radio waves that transmits a signal that reveals your location," he explains to the others. {Radio waves were being explored as early as the 1860s so Holmes at least should know about this} "Also they could have put small microphones in the cases so as to overhear any of our plans." {also something that had been developed by this time period though crude and not much distance}

"So, we should leave them be and stop somewhere on our way to replace those missing clothes and supplies would be my suggestion."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Steeple_jackuk likes this post

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 4 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack!

Post  Admin Thu Nov 26 2020, 18:39

Watson pulled a face and nodded. "I suppose. I really liked that shirt though."

Holmes made sure Captain Savage was tucked in below deck and being tended before striding onto the deck with hands behind back. "Well, after that unpleasantness I am looking forward to a stiff drink!"

Rashid quietly gave orders that sent people scurrying and the group stayed up on the forecastle watching the final preparations. The ship was large and triple masted but Haunt, an experienced sailor, noted that the masts were unusual. Were they ... layered? Could they be telescopic?

Soon enough the ship was ready to cast off and the harbour master signed off on various papers and gave the wave that said the ship could leave. A steam tugboat attached to each end of the ship and rotated the boat before one moved to the front to join the other and the pair started pulling the boat to the mouth of the Thames Estuary where they unhooked ropes and the sails furled out.

"Gentlemen!" said Holmes as a servant presented a tray with drinks against the backdrop of the setting sun. Dracula stood in the darkness and was quiet whilst Mina Harker joined them and looked out on the sea. Holmes handed out drinks and raised a toast "To the successful conclusion of our adventure!" he said, and everyone joined in.

The sun dipped over the horizon and lights lit the deck as Rashid guided the party below deck to enjoy a fine meal.

After an hour or so everyone was replete and it was noted neither Vampire had eaten. That might be a problem.

Dr Jekyll still looked nervous. "Th... thank you for bringing me along." he stammered.

Captain Savage, back on his feet albeit with blackened eyes and a number of bruises, offered his thanks to Carter and Gibb.

Rashid leaned in as a suited crew man whispered and announced "Gentlemen, Lady, there may be some turbulence. Please do not be alarmed..."

*something* was going on as the glasses started to shake and the whole ship appeared to be vibrating!

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 4 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 4 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Nov 26 2020, 19:52

Rashid leaned in as a suited crew man whispered and announced "Gentlemen, Lady, there may be some turbulence. Please do not be alarmed..."

*something* was going on as the glasses started to shake and the whole ship appeared to be vibrating!

"Well, at least we got a fine meal before our next little adventure starts, eh Gibbs," the Haunt jibs as he prepared to go on deck to find out what going on but before that ...

"Is this your doing, sir, or someone or something else coming at us," he asks Rashid.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Nov 26 2020, 20:55

DavidMcMahon wrote:"Well, at least we got a fine meal before our next little adventure starts, eh Gibbs," the Haunt jibs as he prepared to go on deck to find out what going on but before that ...

"Is this your doing, sir, or someone or something else coming at us," he asks Rashid.

Gibb nodded smiling but his gaze was back toward London. His powers were a part of being connected to solid ground so the ocean wasn't the place he felt most at home. But his gaze betrayed a longing and a whistful sigh. If things were concluded successfully then what...there was still the matter of a certain you lady he'd become rather fond of, stupid though the notion was. The motion and noise pulled him back to the moment, and he turned to his friend and said, [I]"Here we go again..."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 27 2020, 09:12

Steeplejack was mindful that without any Earth nearby he couldn't use some of his powers, and without the ground to stand on he couldn't rapidly recover.

He really was 'all at sea' in a way.

He turned when Rashid spoke. "Indeed Mr Carter, this vessel is simply here to ferry supplies to the Nautilus, a most wondrous vessel which Prince Dakkar would prefer was kept a secret from the world at large. You shall travel in the Nautilus but you will not see her. She spends her life under the oceans and can travel much faster than any man made object. In this time." he added.

There was a sensation of lowering and Mina spoke, the first time in a while. "What is this? Sorcery?"

Baron Alucard/Dracula chuckled "My dear, you who are ageless and more than mere mortal are astounded by a mere machine?"

Mina scowled and Rashid interposed. "If I may.... this vessel is 'sat' on top of the Nautilus. Once a seal is achieved a large section of this ship lowers down and the supplies are transferred in less than an hour, the crew scurrying around like ants to get things moved. When yo leave this room you will be in the Submarine proper and will always be followed by a member of crew who will service your desires but also to ensure you do not enter any areas not permitted. The Prince is a private man and this is, essentially, a vehicle of war. From this vessel we can be in a location from which to act against any continent in the world in a matter of days."

He glanced at Carter and Gibb "Though that may not be impressive to you Gentlemen, I am told, in this time and place this submarine is the ultimate machine for war... or for making peace."

"Indeed, aside from loading your chaperone shall show you to your private cabin and from there to the open areas where many books and more wondrous entertainments that you cannot fathom are available. Moving pictures. With sound."

Dr Jekyll pulled a face. "Nonsense!" he declared.

Holmes, who'd been quiet the whole time, spoke up "Where is Captain Carter?"

Rashid smiled tightly. "Seasickness sir. He sends his apologies but sometimes it takes longer for some of us to get our 'sea legs'. For an American in England I was surprised to learn he was suffering but I hope in the next few hours he can join us."

As the group spoke among itself Rashid leaned in quietly. "Begging your pardon sirs but Prince Dakkar has requested an audience with you three." he said the Carter, Gibb and Holmes.

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 4 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 4 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Nov 27 2020, 19:36

[quote="Admin"As the group spoke among itself Rashid leaned in quietly. "Begging your pardon sirs but Prince Dakkar has requested an audience with you three." he said the Carter, Gibb and Holmes. [/quote]

Gibb looked at his two companions, "best not keep his highness waiting, gentleman..." Truth be told, although he wasn't feeling seasick, he was feeling the loss of his powers from standing on solid ground and that left him feeling at a loss but without the usual unpleasant side effects, Carter was experiencing below.

He was only too glad to have something else to take his mind of matters and keen to catch the grail with which they could land on something solid again.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Nov 27 2020, 20:07

Carter, not to be confused with John, nodded and rose to follow.

"Excuse us everyone, back later," he tells the others.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 30 2020, 16:07

The ship was polished wood and brass, a marvel of engineering in any age.

The trio were led by Rashid into a corridor that seemed to join onto another corridor with a brass frame connecting them and a pair of busy crewmembers mopping up floor and buffing the brass.

"I am sure you have theories sirs but please keep them to yourselves until you are in the Princes' presence. Please note that on board the Nautilus he is Captain Nemo and not to be addressed by his other title." explained the polite and efficient major domo.

Down stairs and into a lift where an attendant slide the door open, pulled a lever to signal the drop then slid it open again with a bow. A short corridor and a sturdy looking vault/water seal style door was at the corridor end guarded by two alert looking crewmembers in fine physical shape holding both swords and pistols.

They stood aside without comment to Rashid who tapped on the door then nodded to a guard who stepped up to unscrew the wheel locking it.

The trio stepped into a sumptuous cabin with wall to ceiling windows on three sides, a vast library of books against the other wall and a huge oak desk with the ocean as backdrop. Lights outside the submarine illuminated fish and the effect was very tranquil. Here finally there was a perceptible hum and vibration in the vessel.

Prince Dakkar - Captain Nemo, turned, hands behind his back. Rashid moved to the drinks cabinet and Nemo waved the pair to a beautiful long sofa and sat himself.

"Gentlemen. I have no secrets from Rashid. I am intelligent enough to recognise two men - like myself - who are out of time. Mr Holmes, in my time you are a fictional character created by a man you consider a friend, Mr Arthur Conan Doyle." said Nemo.

Holmes raised an eyebrow.

"Your companions, including the absent Mr Starky who needed more materials for his endless tinkering, have a similar background - to my point of view. I am a time traveller." said Nemo. He looked for shock but found none, indeed...

"The technology you have on display in this vessel is beyond that in this age, so it makes perfect sense. Plus of course I have experienced first hand the powers, abilities and sheer... wonderment of my companions beside me. They are heroes, in this or any other age and I am honoured to know and work alongside them. The enemies ranged against us defy physics or logic and must therefore also be considered to be time travellers. Indeed, we have experienced the supernatural itself. These are interesting times in which we - currently - reside." said Holmes.

Nemo was taken aback slightly and sipped a quite excellent whisky. "You are remarkable Holmes. You are seated in the impossible with people for whom what you consider impossible treat as routine. Everything I know of you is an understatement. I salute you."

He turned to Carter and Gibb. "Apart from the fact that you wear different clothes and possibly different faces to that which you wear in the 21st Century, I suspect you two are superheroes. This world is in dire need of your power. The theft of the Holy Grail has far reaching consequences. It's magic will be used to bring life back to Morgana Le fay who will in turn use its magic to set in motion a chain of events that will allow Advent in your present, my past, to build a device that will channel the suns rays into a weapon. I cannot explain further for fear of diluting or defiling the time line suffice to say that my own time is a ruin. I came back, then again, and again, to find the root of the cause of the Earths downfall. Here I am at the end of Queen Victorias' reign..."

Holmes glanced up but said nothing.

"... and I have determined that the events in this time set in motion the end of the world as I know if, and that you may soon experience. ADVENT have a plan. They want this world and to a certain extent, some of the people on it."

"Some?" asked Holmes.

"Yes Mr Holmes. The remarkable, the incredible, the astonishing. Why? I never found out, but within humanity is the capacity to grow, expand, become ... more. You have two examples sat next to you."

"And what are your qualities Captain?" asked Holmes.

Captain Nemo set his drink aside and stood tall. Then he changed form, morphed into a tall strong looking alien. Beside the door Rashid changed to a similar being.

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 4 Skrull-captain

"ADVENT conquered my world and enslaved or destroyed my people. When they were done with its natural resources and extracted the genetic material they required, they built a device that focused the rays of our own sun onto our planet. We burned up. Those of us who survived underground desperately built ships to travel across the void and escape but all that we knew was gone, a dead world in our wake. Most of them wanted to settle elsewhere, start anew, hide. Some of us decided to fight back, hunt Advent down. We reproduce rarely and when you rescued my brother you rescued one of the few youngsters in our remaining species. For that you have my thanks and my services and network are yours to call on for a time. A time because I will fight and defeat ADVENT where they raise their head, cutting off the hydras head whilst another grows elsewhere. Questions, gentlemen?"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Nov 30 2020, 17:12

"Sockamagee! Weren't you in a movie a couple of years back," The Haunt says wonderingly. "I was up for a part in that pic but ... well, things happened and I couldn't take the part."

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 4 Moptet10

"More seriously, do you have any idea where they are hiding here on Earth?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Nov 30 2020, 20:21

Admin wrote:"ADVENT conquered my world and enslaved or destroyed my people. When they were done with its natural resources and extracted the genetic material they required, they built a device that focused the rays of our own sun onto our planet. We burned up. Those of us who survived underground desperately built ships to travel across the void and escape but all that we knew was gone, a dead world in our wake. Most of them wanted to settle elsewhere, start anew, hide. Some of us decided to fight back, hunt Advent down. We reproduce rarely and when you rescued my brother you rescued one of the few youngsters in our remaining species. For that you have my thanks and my services and network are yours to call on for a time. A time because I will fight and defeat ADVENT where they raise their head, cutting off the hydras head whilst another grows elsewhere. Questions, gentlemen?"

OOC: Well played sir, didn't see any of that coming ;-)

Gibb leaned forward but he wasn't tense, his uncanny senses hadn't gone off before Captain Nemo was around him, either here away from the earth, under the sea he knew well enough that the man wasn't an enemy. But it also explained his curious network and how they had matched wits so outstandingly with Moriarty and Advent and remained alive.

Truly they had found friends or at least allies. People for whom Advent represented the threat Earth had yet to fully realise. It was not too late, but it was late. Listening in to Carter's question, Gibb listened attentively.

Ready to add his own, how were they to find let alone catch the grail? Was there something that gave off a distinct signature?

They'd started so far on the back foot, it was as if they were poleaxed. But finally, they'd managed to gain some traction, but now the hunt was on in earnest and he was keen to know how they might yet find their target let alone stop them from using the grail.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 01 2020, 16:09

"A movie?" Nemo asked, then gave a rare smile. "It depends on your point of view. If you come from a time and a place where things are changed - an important person makes a different decision and a country doesn't go to war, for example, then yes, you may have seen me before as some... fictional figure or at least someone who looks like me."

Holmes pondered. "Mr Gibb and Mr Carter both raise important questions."

Nemo nodded and moved to stand in front of the window/portal behind him, and behind his back. "MAGIC gentlemen. My people call it something else but your world seems steeped in it because your people, by and large, do not believe in its existence and therefore have not drained the Earth of it. That will change in what I consider to be the future from this point but the enemy uses Scientific know how and the details of future events along with magic to further their aims. ADVENT is especially active in the 20th and 21st Century, using time travel to pollute and change the time stream. If I went back to what I consider my present I would find things changed so dramatically that it would no longer be recognisable. We decided to stay in this time period, took on the role of Prince Dakkar using knowledge of where to find and mine valuable commodities and I... we... are the richest most powerful non nation on Earth in monetary terms. That will avail us nothing if the Grail is used."

"I believe that the Grail is 'visible' to sensitives and there is an organisation called OOPS - the Order of Protective Sorcerers - that is spread across the globe who may help us track the Grail. However they are secretive, protective of their secrets and liable to corruption. Magic is power and power corrupts. In order to save this world we must track the Grail, secure its return and defeat Moriartys coalition as well as stopping ADVENTS plans. Bravo by the way, for your work in Paris. This timeline seems to 'work' against me and my people so as to hamstring us. Our greater than human strength and agility count for very little when time itself hampers our efforts, hence we have had to rely on human agents for our actions against ADVENt and they are superior to any human. Apart from you two. There are others of course and some of them are on this vessel but you may be considered some of the world's first super heroes."

Holmes raised an eyebrow. "What a ridiculous term! As for ADVENT it seems they are the true enemy. Moriarty's dreams, while grand, rarely result in anything resembling success."

"Thanks to your efforts Mr Holmes, but this time is different. His organisation is laced with shape changing aliens. You have encountered some I believe and thanks to Gibbs and Carter you are alive and well." said Nemo, reverting to a human form, as did Rashid at the door. "We are remiss and must attend to the others but know we are on the same side, you have my thanks and whilst our paths cross you will have all aid I can provide."

Holmes turned to leave and looked about. "This vessel then, can we catch Moriarty, sir?"

"We must find him first, but rest assured we can catch him. We are currently in the Bay of Biscay, cruising at a speed rivalled only by jet aeroplanes in the future. Forgive me my dear Holmes for using such terms for things not yet invented but the appearance of this vessel should not be taken as a reflection of its capabilities. It is beyond even 21st Century Earth but I fear the world is not ready for a flying aircraft carrier that can travel as fast underwater as in can in the air and achieve escape velocity to dock with a mothership orbiting the dark side of the moon."

Holmes blinked then looked at Carter and Gibb. "I was about to suggest our host is rambling like a madman but I see from your faces you are not shocked and quite accepting of his words. Am I in the company of madmen or am I mad not to embrace such company?" he pondered as Nemo laughed and led the way back to the state room where the others were.

=========

Starky sipped appreciatively at the wine. "This vintage is superb. Vin Jaune d'Arbois?" I've never heard of it.

The inventor had joined the party via another ship and grasped that he was 'not in kansas anymore' from the technology on show. Carter Carter (of mars) had also joined the party and after being introduced to everyone it was Count Dracula who spoke.

"You know something of my, and my Dear Mina's nature Captain Nemo. Far be it from me to abuse the hospitality of a gracious host but we have specific... needs."

"We are stopping off at a place on the French coast close to a place where there is a prison housing the worst of the worst of the worst. Death row is too kind for these people and there you can sate yourselves." he suggested.

Watson seemed completely alarmed at this as did the others and Nemo was about to explain when there was a 'shudder' and he looked about. Rashid, at the door, glanced at his Captain and sped into the corridor whilst Nemo stood, about to speak again before Rashid re-entered the room. "A thousand apologies sir, but... we are under attack!"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Dec 01 2020, 17:38

[quote="Admin"Watson seemed completely alarmed at this as did the others and Nemo was about to explain when there was a 'shudder' and he looked about. Rashid, at the door, glanced at his Captain and sped into the corridor whilst Nemo stood, about to speak again before Rashid re-entered the room. "A thousand apologies sir, but... we are under attack!"[/quote]

Whilst Gibb didn't like the idea of the Count satiating his needs, nonetheless, that little discussion would have to wait. Turning to Carter, Gibb didn't need to say 'now what' for they knew that with Advent they were hardly going to let things settle. But for Gibb, his powers very much dependent on his proximity to land, he had to wonder what use he'd be in this fight, apart from his other skills that is. Worst still, Advent had found them, and quickly. Unless they dispatched them as quickly they might gain reinforcements. But another thought puzzled Gibb, given all that Captain Nemo said about the ship, had there position been given away. Was there a traitor aboard? If they could be discovered so easily even if they evaded this trap wouldn't their position become a dead give away? They could be chasing their tail for a long time if they didn't remain undetected.

OOC: OK some musings for later, I'll follow Carter to the place where we can get some action and repel our borders.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Dec 01 2020, 18:56

"I wonder if they put a tracker in the supplies or our luggage and that's how they found us," the Haunt asked outloud, assuming it was ADVENT attacking. "Well, let's go see what's going on and how we can try to fight."

"Show us," he says to Nemo, getting up.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 02 2020, 18:31

Captain John Carter stood. "I'm not sure what i can do to help but I'll pitch in."

Edward Starkey, helping himself to wine, leaned back. "I have something I've been cooking up but the shockwave might destroy us as well."

Dr Jekyll gaped "Why have you brought these lunatics?" he asked.

Captain Nemo smiled. "Relax. We have some defences. This ... ship... has been adapted from another use and water based weapons were last on the list to do." admitted Nemo.

"Really? On a ship? I'd have thought cannon were a priority." said Mina, looking bored.

Nemo smiled tightly. "Trust me when I say on this particular ship there are issues with opening up holes in the side of it. Please excuse me. Mr Holmes, perhaps you can illuminate the guests though be discreet on the details of which I revealed about my own nature please." he said quietly. "They might not be ready to find out I come from... elsewhere."

The Captain straightened then turned "Mr Gibb. Mr Carter. Nick Carter." he added with a smile to John Carter (of Mars). "Please sirs, any assistance you may offer will be appreciated."

They marched through the corridors, two armed guards shadowing the Captain and Rashid hovering to the side, giving whispered orders to crew who ran up to him then ran off even as the ship shuddered again.

Entering a lift the group stood in silence as 'Greensleeves' played over a crackling speaker.

Stepping out onto a vast 'bridge' with many crew sat at what appeared to be crystal balls, Nemo made for a huge leather chair facing to massive portal wrap around windows showing the darkness in the depths of the water. Also noticed was the sheer sized of this vessel. More an aircraft carrier in shape albeit smoothed and rounded, streamlined. Lights lit up the exterior and the ship was being attacked... by Whales and Sharks?

"There!" said Rashid pointing and hissing at a lady crew member with hands on a 'crystal ball'.

She concentrated and an image appeared on the vast portal window. Zoomed in, it showed...

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 4 Atlanteans

Nemo frowned. "Atlanteans I presume. Legends speak of them but like many old wives tales they are dismissed but it appears they are real and somewhat 'put out' by our presence. Our weapons are being adapted to work underwater but we have suffered from a lack of facilities which take time to construct and need to be hidden. Plus there are environmental concerns and we have to be careful not to change the natural order of things as much as we can... We are not defenceless but we are set up to fight larger less agile foes." admitted Nemo. "I have people suiting up but we are... fish out of water." he admitted.

"Can you help?" he asked.

Rashid muttered to the female operator and nodded calling out "Sir! There are a dozen of the humanoids and hundreds of the wales and sharks. We can harpoon them when our min subs launch but ... they are animals, surely forced to attack?"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Dec 02 2020, 21:26

"I can try scarring them away," Nick Carter offered. "Do you have torpedo tubes you can shoot me out of?"

ooc: Sort of planning of getting shot of out of the ship, in the form of a torpedo, Self Manipulate into some sea creature with water breathing, swimming and water freedom, then fire off the ole Aura of Fear and see what that does. Or maybe stay as a torpedo with arms?

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Dec 03 2020, 12:49

DavidMcMahon wrote:"I can try scarring them away," Nick Carter offered.  "Do you have torpedo tubes you can shoot me out of?"

ooc:  Sort of planning of getting shot of out of the ship, in the form of a torpedo, Self Manipulate into some sea creature with water breathing, swimming and water freedom, then fire off the ole Aura of Fear and see what that does.  Or maybe stay as a torpedo with arms?

Gibb looked on amazed, although by rights he ought not to be. Hearing Carter make his suggestion, he looked about a bit perplexed, he to was very much a fish out of water. What could he offer in such a situation as this. He looked, for the first time in his life, somewhat helpless for something to offer to do.

OOC: My power set is really limited here, unfortunately, can't even help out behind a gun much.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Dec 06 2020, 09:19

OOC Water Freedom allows you to breathe, move and operate under water without penalty. With Self Manipulation I suppose you might form a wet suit and scuba tank about you but the crushing depths and sluggish nature of moving under water would not be countered by Self Manipulation. Initially I thought 'no problem' but there has to be a physical manifestation of the power you are copying I guess. Swimming no problem, any APs you allocate to breathing apparatus fine, but as you are the suit itself things like crushing depths and moving through water would not be countered. An odd one. Odder I thought was not seeing sealed systems on Haunt, could have sworn he had it!

Nemo and Rashid raised eyebrows but took Haunt to the level of the ship where torpedoes were being loaded.

An apologetic crewman mumbled "A thousands apologies sir but we are struggling to adapt the torpedoes to use underwater. They were never designed..." he glanced at Gibb and Carter but Rashid prompted him to continue "These men are in our trust and know of our true nature."

The crewman breathed a sigh of relief then continued. "The guidance system, cooling apparatus and propulsion all rely on not being sealed. I would suggest a full redesign and back to the drawing board." the crewman muttered.

Nemo frowned then shrugged and turned to the heroes. Haunt looked at the loading tube and morphed into the perfect shape of a torpedo, albeit with eyes!

"Remarkable." breathed Rashid.

Nemo smiled then turned to Gibb. "I have breathing apparatus you can both use but it appears Mr Carter is our one and only ace in the hole in this situation, or we will be forced to leave the area."

"Illuminate the exterior of the ship, shutter all portals. I am fully aware of our limitations under water but we can hardly soar through the air in an era where powered flight will not be a reality for a few years." said Nemo. "Therefore we have a few options. Fight off the aggressors, communicate with them in some way or tuck tail and flee. The last option holds no appeal for me."

Rashid turned to Carter and asked "How much power should we use to eject you? I must admit the launcher was never designed to eject a living creature." he said, looking worried.

OOC How are you splitting your self manipulation? A pressurised air tank will be supplied with a face mask but that won't protect you from the crushing depths (though Body 14 should be proof against that unless you are at the bottom of the ocean). You can allocate to swimming but there aren't any gadgets/suits I know of that can ease movement through water so you can mimic some aspects of Water Freedom but not all, if that makes sense. Then of course throw in the difficulty (+3/+3) from the timeline and you may be at a significant disadvantage out there. Haunt knows this so its not metagaming to reconsider ...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Dec 06 2020, 12:18

Admin wrote:Nemo smiled then turned to Gibb. "I have breathing apparatus you can both use but it appears Mr Carter is our one and only ace in the hole in this situation, or we will be forced to leave the area."

Gibb thanked the Captain but realised the depth alone would be a challenge and make him more of a target than help in such a situation. Their hopes such as they were, lay with Carter getting through to the Atlantean's that we are not the enemy and that their help would help them let alone us.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Dec 09 2020, 18:54

ooc: Thinking it over, the Haunt will take the form of a squid, using his own physical stats. Put 5 points into swimming and 5 points into water freedom from his self-manipulation. Couldn't find Squid in the animal list but that's the same water freedom and swim speed of a shark. Since he doesn't have enough points to also get extra limbs, he will be a 4-armed squid. I've really neglected Self-Manipulation. Really need to pull it up to the same level as Omni-Arm.

Use chameleon to take on the coloration of a squid too.

"Just fill the tube with water and open the outer hatch," the Haunt replies, thinking it over. "I will pull myself out from there. I won't need the scuba gear."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 10 2020, 00:58

Rashid and Nemo watched as Haunt transformed into a man sized squid!

At his direction the tube was filled and he used his modified gills to breathe underwater as the great water pressure settled on his body - which then resisted the crushing ocean depths!

OOC No point rolling. If Aquaman can resist the ocean depths Haunt has no trouble.

Outside the vessel Haunt glanced back and stifled a gasp! This thing was huge. The Nautilus was as large, possibly more so, than a Gerald R Ford class aircraft carrier and clearly it wasn't the sort of device that existed in Victorian Era history! Luckily so long as it stay submerged there was little chance of it being detected but as mentioned by Nemo that meant logistical problems as adaptations would be harder to apply underwater.

Turning his attention back to the situation Haunt saw hordes of large whales and sharks, all battering or swatting at the hull. Seemingly herding them were humanoids, lit up by the multitude of lights on the exterior of the Nautilus to have blue skin. Atlanteans.

With thousands of sea creatures swarming about the great submarine/space craft there seemed little chance of being spotted but Haunt counted... a dozen or more Atlanteans that he could see on one side of the vessel. More must be around the other sides. The Atlanteans must have superhuman abilities to survive the crushing ocean depths and of course Haunt was subject to the time distortion which they of course were not...

=========

On board Nemo turned to Steeplejack. "Your friend is remarkable, as I'm sure you are in your own way. However, we have a problem. A number of systems have been worked on recently and the armour has not been fully restored to those sections. We were not anticipating being under attack!" he admitted.

They looked out of one of the twenty feet high and as wide portals on the deck at the vast expanse of the vessel lit up by exterior lights, and getting a pummelling from sea creatures!

"Our armour is touch enough to take a pounding but if they come across one of the areas that was being upgraded they may do damage that could hamper our ability to move at speed." admitted Nemo.

Rashid cleared his throat. "Sir, the uh, ion field might..."

Nemo nodded, cutting his aide off. "A last resort. To kill these thousands of sea creatures who are being forced to do the Atlanteans bidding is not my way Rashid. I would rather... retreat and find some other way."

Last edited by Admin on Thu Dec 10 2020, 15:25; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Dec 10 2020, 02:15

"Let's see if I can get them to leave the sub alone," the Haunt thought to himself. Aura of Fear on everything in range outside the sub. "Those who remain maybe they will talk then."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Dec 10 2020, 12:37

Admin wrote:"Our armour is touch enough to take a pounding but if they come across one of the areas that was being upgraded they may do damage that could hamper our ability to move at speed." admitted Nemo.

Rashid cleared his throat. "Sir, the uh, ion field might..."

Nemo nodded, cutting his aide off. "A last resort. To kill these thousands of sea creatures who are being forced to do the Atlanteans bidding is not my way Rashid. I would rather... retreat and find some other way."

Steeplejack nodded, "OK show me what I can do, be glad to help as at present I'm pretty useless out there. But I'm good with a spanner!"

OOC: OK happy to help in whatever way I can, otherwise I'm sorting sitting this one out, largely.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 10 2020, 15:40

Haunt transformed back into himself in the midst of the sea creatures and Atlanteans buzzing about...

OOC Aura of fear 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 7,6,+0 Total:13 (23) vs
OV2 (Whales. Sharks are immune - too stooopid) + Diff 3 + Roll(2d12)+0: 2,10,+0 Total:12 (17)
+3(13EV) vs RV2+ diff 3=8 RAPs
OV6 + Diff 3 + Roll(2d12)+0: 10,1,+0 Total:11 (20)
+2 (12) vs RV7 + diff 3=2RAPs

Suddenly the seas clear aside from the Sharks! The Atlanteans too, race off - that Haunt can see at any rate.

Without a mind directing them the Sharks quickly lose interest in the vast lit up vessel under the ocean and start to drift away in search of prey. One makes a beeline for Haunt but thinks again, the great white shape in front of him seeming... unappetising.

=========

"That seems to have done it! We're free of the..." started Nemo.

A bell started to clang on the bridge and a crewman looked up from their 'Crystal ball'. "Great One! I mean, uh, Captain. Intruders!"

"Stand by to repel boarders!" ordered Nemo. He glanced at Steeplejack. "My people may need a hand. We are not humans, and have abilities beyond what would be considered ordinary, but the blue skinned humanoids have strength and durability that can withstand crushing ocean depths!"

=========

Haunt looked into the depths. Blasted time distortion!

He knew that they would not run for long but hoped that most had gotten the idea. He knew also that some around the blind side of the vessel would have been freed from the affects of his power. He could have 'fired blind' and got them anyway... along with everyone else within a mile radius including all on the ship and his own friends!

Changing into a white shark he glided through the underwater gloom to the side of the vessel and ... paused...

There was a hole, about six feet square, where metal panels had been bent back. They looked different to the panels around it and Haunt figured some repair or modification was being made here and hadn't been finished. He looked about. More holes.

The Nautilus was being boarded!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Dec 10 2020, 18:17

The Haunt headed for the nearest hole to see or what was boarding the Nautilus.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Dec 10 2020, 19:54

Admin wrote:"That seems to have done it! We're free of the..." started Nemo.

A bell started to clang on the bridge and a crewman looked up from their 'Crystal ball'. "Great One! I mean, uh, Captain. Intruders!"

"Stand by to repel boarders!" ordered Nemo. He glanced at Steeplejack. "My people may need a hand. We are not humans, and have abilities beyond what would be considered ordinary, but the blue skinned humanoids have strength and durability that can withstand crushing ocean depths!"

"LEAD on Capt Nemo, don't delay, we can't afford to have this mission compromised - so lead on!"

Steeplejack new the ship was big and full of alien metal that would limit what he could do, but he still wasn't without a trick or two, though not on Haunt's level by any means.

OOC: Lead me to the action baby, martial arts and acrobatics all the way with my usual 3/2 split dice wise. I'll hold off on Dev or Crit attacks because the time distortion makes it hard enough already.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next