The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack!

3 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 7 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack!

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jan 21 2021, 13:54

The Haunt ponders this, knowing the perception of his partner, and then ...

"I still think it is worth looking into. Maybe I can find some navigational maps that may help us out or a main lieutenant still on board or something. If you feel we need to leave, why don't you head out and let me know which way you are going and I can investigate the ship and then fly after you when I am done?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 7 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack!

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jan 21 2021, 14:27

DavidMcMahon wrote:The Haunt ponders this, knowing the perception of his partner, and then ...

"I still think it is worth looking into.  Maybe I can find some navigational maps that may help us out or a main lieutenant still on board or something.  If you feel we need to leave, why don't you head out and let me know which way you are going and I can investigate the ship and then fly after you when I am done?"

Gibb nodded, knowing his friend had been adventuring in this hero business for a while himself he trusted his instincts. Grasping his hand in a friendly handshake he said, "Go careful, we know our enemy can strike from a distance. Keep a weary eye out for us and we'll do our best to make sure we can leave some kind of trail that you can follow."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jan 22 2021, 09:28

Holmes raised an eyebrow. "It is unwise to divide our forces but I trust Mr Carter to know what he is doing. His incredible poly-morphing abilities mean he can spot us from the air quite easily I would have thought."

Rashid was marshalling the movement of the parties possessions into rowing boats that looked to have been manufactured rather than crafted by hand as would be normal in this era.

Gibb watched his partner soar off towards the distant ship and turned to Holmes, Watson and co.

"Time to go."

Nemo shook hands with all and leaned in to Gibb. "Have a care sir. The Baron and his ward are dangerous people indeed. They have their own agenda and I would be a poor friend indeed who did not ask you to be careful."

He handed over a token, a circular disc carved from coral in the shape of an octopus with an eye in the middle. "In ports especially, showing this token should ensure someone finds out. I have arranged for sailors and dock workers to report the appearance of tokens like these in order to set in motion a chain of events that should see aid supplied to you. We will be here for a while. The repairs will be extensive and I expect the Atlanteans to exact a price in terms of goods and services, so my hands are tied."

"Gibb!" called out the Baron. "The distant influence is steadily getting weaker."

Nemo glanced at the Vampire Steeplejack knew to be Count Dracula.

Holmes stepped over. "Our thanks to you Captain Nemo. If I did not see with my own eyes the bay of Biscay and the curving coastline of France and distant Spain I would not have believe we could have moved so quickly. We must take advantage of the speed the Nautilus offers! Our enemies will be moving south and east so we have miles to cover yet. The Baron states they are heading East!"

Nemo nodded. "Godspeed sirs." he said, shaking hands. Rashid did the same with a bow of his head.

=========

Haunt soared over the ship, seeing no one on the deck.

His fear aura had done it's job it seemed, but there may be others unaffected that he couldn't see. They would be dangerous to leave behind.

OOC Land on the ships deck? take any precautions?

It will take 15 minutes for the various rowing boats to transport everyone ashore. In that time Haunt can investigate the doomed ship...

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 7 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 7 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Jan 22 2021, 12:03

Haunt will land on the rigging and use his telescopic eyes and enhanced hearing to see if he hears or sees anything.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jan 22 2021, 19:01

[quote="Admin"]Holmes raised an eyebrow. "It is unwise to divide our forces but I trust Mr Carter to know what he is doing. His incredible poly-morphing abilities mean he can spot us from the air quite easily I would have thought."

Nemo shook hands with all and leaned in to Gibb. "Have a care sir. The Baron and his ward are dangerous people indeed. They have their own agenda and I would be a poor friend indeed who did not ask you to be careful."

He handed over a token, a circular disc carved from coral in the shape of an octopus with an eye in the middle. "In ports especially, showing this token should ensure someone finds out. I have arranged for sailors and dock workers to report the appearance of tokens like these in order to set in motion a chain of events that should see aid supplied to you. We will be here for a while. The repairs will be extensive and I expect the Atlanteans to exact a price in terms of goods and services, so my hands are tied."

"You have been a most gracious host and a true friend, Captain, I am honoured to have worked with you and am only sorry that our venture cost you so dearly. Nonetheless, like your hospitality and friendship, I take your advice and will indeed watch for the Baron. My fear is that he may well throw his lot in or indeed have another agenda that seeks to turn the tables on us all. But for now, I'd rather have him with us than against us. At least this way I can keep an eye on him."

Admin wrote:Nemo nodded. "Godspeed sirs." he said, shaking hands. Rashid did the same with a bow of his head.

"And to you all."

And with that Gibb got into the transport and made good speed. But he made sure that he selected the boat with the Baron in. The others did need his steely eyes on them as much as did Mina and the Baron.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 25 2021, 11:01

Changing his eyes and ears into something Tex Avery might admire* Haunt clings to the rigging and looks down on the ship.

OOC Perception check...

Int 8 + 2D Perception (from Hearing:5, Tele Vision: 5) + Roll(4d12)+0: 6,8,12,12,+0 Total:24 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 2,8,+0 Total:34 (42) vs
OV6 + Diff 3 + Modifier 4 + Roll(2d12)+0: 6,7,+0 Total:13 (26)
+6 (to 15 Will) vs RV6 + Diff 3 (RV9)=6 RAPs

1) There is movement on the ship but it is mostly below decks. Those left on the deck are slumped and decomposing so if not dead they will be shortly!
2-3) Below decks the sound suggests someone is stumbling about, bashing into things
4-6) There is also something else. A hissing sound.

With superhuman hearing Haunt hears the death throes of those on board and something else, like a snake or... well, a hissing sound at any rate.

The ship is floundering, its momentum slowing as the rudder removal means it is steering into the wind as much as out. It's not going anywhere now and probably needs pushing into the shallows or a dock somewhere in order to prevent the ship from drifting.

OOC The famed cartoonist who I'm sure needs no introduction from me for your Benefit David....

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 7 Tex-avery

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 7 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 7 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 25 2021, 11:12

Taking over the oars Steeplejack smiled as he saw Nemo's crew gape at the speed the rowing boat scythed through the water!

He had to be mindful that he didn't shatter the oars though and leave them floundering!

A glance over revealed Captain John Carter had seen them go and was putting his own back into the effort, and doing a good job of keeping up! There was more to that fellow than they'd seen thus far and Gibb figured that all of the group would have a chance to contribute and excel.

He glanced at the dot that was the sailing ship and wondered how Haunt was getting on...

OOC It will take Steeplejack and the group some time to row to shore so we'll resolve Haunt first and then take up the main groups journey...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jan 25 2021, 12:01

Admin wrote:Taking over the oars Steeplejack smiled as he saw Nemo's crew gape at the speed the rowing boat scythed through the water!

He had to be mindful that he didn't shatter the oars though and leave them floundering!

A glance over revealed Captain John Carter had seen them go and was putting his own back into the effort, and doing a good job of keeping up! There was more to that fellow than they'd seen thus far and Gibb figured that all of the group would have a chance to contribute and excel.

He glanced at the dot that was the sailing ship and wondered how Haunt was getting on...

OOC It will take Steeplejack and the group some time to row to shore so we'll resolve Haunt first and then take up the main groups journey...

OOC: No problem. I had thought this side trek Dave wanted to take was going to be nothing more than a dead-end, but now I am not so sure. Oh well -happy to watch and wait and see what happens next.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Jan 25 2021, 15:01

OOC: Pretty sure that's the wolf from the Red Riding Hood cartoon Tex Avery did. Loved his cartoons in the day.

"Okay, that hissing doesn't sound good, " the Haunt murmurs as he leaps down to the deck of the ship. "Let's go see what it is."
Going to the hatch or hatchway that leads downs into the ship in the direction of the hissing noise, the Haunt shapeshifts into the form of a bear-like creature, not know if he will have more light down below than just what comes through the open hatch, and starts down.

Got this from Writeups.Org
Bear
Powers:
Analytical Smell/Tracking Scent: 07, Claws: 07, Density Increase: 02, Growth: 01, Running: 05, Suspension: 09, Swimming: 03, Ultra-vision: 02

Going for the Analytical Smell/Tracking Scent of 7, Growth 1 and Ultra-vision of 2 for my 10 in shapeshift.

Admin wrote:Changing his eyes and ears into something Tex Avery might admire* Haunt clings to the rigging and looks down on the ship.

OOC Perception check...

Int 8 + 2D Perception (from Hearing:5, Tele Vision: 5) + Roll(4d12)+0: 6,8,12,12,+0 Total:24 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 2,8,+0 Total:34 (42) vs
OV6 + Diff 3 + Modifier 4 + Roll(2d12)+0: 6,7,+0 Total:13 (26)
+6 (to 15 Will) vs RV6 + Diff 3 (RV9)=6 RAPs

1) There is movement on the ship but it is mostly below decks. Those left on the deck are slumped and decomposing so if not dead they will be shortly!
2-3) Below decks the sound suggests someone is stumbling about, bashing into things
4-6) There is also something else. A hissing sound.

With superhuman hearing Haunt hears the death throes of those on board and something else, like a snake or... well, a hissing sound at any rate.

The ship is floundering, its momentum slowing as the rudder removal means it is steering into the wind as much as out. It's not going anywhere now and probably needs pushing into the shallows or a dock somewhere in order to prevent the ship from drifting.

OOC The famed cartoonist who I'm sure needs no introduction from me for your Benefit David....

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 7 Tex-avery
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jan 26 2021, 10:59

The bear like creature ambles down through the hatch and into the darkness of the hold...

OOC Growth (and shrinking) are some of those powers which I think would be beyond the remit of Self manipulation but some of the effects (increase in size and weight without the strength/resistance benefits or the defence penalty). You'd need the actual power of Growth/Shrinking I'd guess. So plastic man turning into a giant is all well and good but he wouldn't have a giant's strength. However he would be able to support his own weight so... arggh. Head scratching. Sometimes RPGs require hand waving and this is one of those times.

The hold was full of barrels. LOTS of barrels. With an ultra keen sense of smell and excellent night vision he smells what must be some kind of liquor, possibly rum. Reading the painted label on the barrel confirms...

OOC it's in French but no problem for Haunt...

Av10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 7,12,+0 Total:19 (29) vs
OV4 + Diff 3 + Roll(2d12)+0: 6,1,+0 Total:7 (14)
+5 (to 15) vs RV4 + Diff 3 (RV7)=8 RAPs.

That confirms its Rum and Haunt grins, wondering if he has time for a taste. Looking about he sniffs something else. Burning?

He comes across a pile of ash in the outline of a man. The ragged clothing held nothing inside - even the bones were dust. Wrinkling his nose he followed it through the stacked barrels and came across another ash pile/former human. And another.

And another.

These were innocent victims of a mystic who cared nothing for their lives, hopes, dreams... they were simply used and destroyed. A cold anger grew in him and he turned... then found out what the hissing was and the burning smell.

A fuse. It was burned out where he found it and he followed the smell/trail. It vanished under a pile of barrels. Huh. Looks like whoever had...

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 7 Lottie-sleigh-1

Steeplejack looked - like everyone else - at the distant sight of the sailing ship exploding!

Holmes glanced at the man from the future who smiled nervously to reassure him. Watson gasped "No! Carter! He'll be... he'll have..." He glanced at Holmes then Gibb and settled back down to stop the boat rocking. "Sometimes i forget the things I have seen and experienced. Wonders, marvels... horrors."

Holmes smiled and patted his best friend on the shoulder. "I'm sure he will be fine. That ship won't trouble anyone any more and the souls lost aboard it will now rest in peace. It's our job to make sure those responsible pay."

=========

The glow from the burning wreck on the surface of the water illuminated the water as haunt looked up.

For an instant he'd gotten a flashback of the accident that had disfigured him and a wave of panic passed over him, vanishing just as quick. An explosion, no matter how big, would have to be something special to hurt him. His clothes though, were a different matter... He was clothed in rags which would affect his powers on a psychological level until he could find a replacement!

OOC I assume it's a quick shape change into a dolphin and catch up with the others? Haunt's costume is reduced to rags which means Fog/Aura of Fear will not work until he gets a replacement.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jan 26 2021, 12:07

Admin wrote:For an instant he'd gotten a flashback of the accident that had disfigured him and a wave of panic passed over him, vanishing just as quick. An explosion, no matter how big, would have to be something special to hurt him. His clothes though, were a different matter... He was clothed in rags which would affect his powers on a psychological level until he could find a replacement!

OOC: Phew

Gibb looked at the others, he knew the time displacement might mean Haunt's abilities were reduced, but that didn't change the fact he was darn hard to kill. "It'll take more than an explosion to hurt Carter." Gibb hoped his confidence wasn't misplaced as he rowed on.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jan 26 2021, 14:31

OOC I assume it's a quick shape change into a dolphin and catch up with the others? Haunt's costume is reduced to rags which means Fog/Aura of Fear will not work until he gets a replacement.

ooc: Yeah, replacement. Just head over to the nearest haberdasheries and get one made up right away. lol! lol! lol!

Gibb looked at the others, he knew the time displacement might mean Haunt's abilities were reduced, but that didn't change the fact he was darn hard to kill. "It'll take more than an explosion to hurt Carter." Gibb hoped his confidence wasn't misplaced as he rowed on.

Leaping out of the water as a dolphin and then landing on the boat as the Haunt, albeit in a torn costume, he arrives balancing adroitly. [WOW! Using big words today! Hope they mean what I think they mean.] .

"Kegs and kegs of rum and a fuse. The men on board turned into ashes before it happened. Didn't have time to find anything else," he reports to the others, tipping his battered hat to the lady.

ooc2: And yeah, shapeshifting can be a pain as to what is and isn't allowed. However a case could be made that he can use growth and shrinking and density increase, etc. as Beast Boy does so, changing from as small as a rabbit to as large as a blue whale. Chameleon Boy, same thing. But I guess it would be limited to something that actually exists? Though in Chameleon Boy's case, its a bunch of fictional space monsters and animals that writers come up with and ... arrgh! Headache time! But even then it is still limited by how much of the power a character has. Haunt's power isn't yet high enough to totally mimic a bear. I mean, it looks like you need a shapeshift of 35 to totally mimic a bear, unless you use your own running and swimming scores then you only need a 27 in shapeshift. That's a lot of points for something that isn't that powerful at that power level. But yeah, turning into a giant to get growth and maybe density increase might be a stretch if one has never met a real giant before. Gonna stop rambling now and try to figure out what to do with Prof. Wynde. scratch scratch
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Steeple_jackuk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 28 2021, 15:48

Haunt took a turn at the oars for one of the other rowing boats and they quickly carved through the waves towards the shore, eyes fixed on the final demise of the sailing vessel and her unwitting crew.

The short journey passed without incident thankfully - it appeared Nemo was true to his word having placated or made moves to placate the Atlanteans.

Sherlock Holmes stepped out of the boat onto the beach and Dr Watson followed on wobbly legs. "Thank goodness that's over!" he said, mopping his brow. "Sinking to the bottom of the ocean isn't high on my list of things to do today."

John Carter (of Mars) stretched his legs and a hooded Baron Alucard commented "You are an unusual man Mr Carter. Far stronger than even your athletic physique implies."

"I have... an ace up my sleeve Baron. You'd do well ta remember that if at all you'n th' lady decide you need a midnight snack." he smiles, though there was little humour in it.

Anjali stepped forward "I am here to sate their thirsts Mr Carter." said the young indian girl. "Contrary to appearances I am not human and I recover from most wounds almost instantly. Captain... Nemo has forbidden me to reveal more details about my nature, but says to obey the wishes of Mr Holmes, Mr Gibb or the other Mr Carter."

Mina Harkness walked past, head bowed under her cloak as the sun still shone and gave a slight glance at Anlaji.

"Do you feel pain?" asked Carter.

"Yes, like all living, breathing, thinking creatures. But as Dr Jekyll has noted, my nature seems to be ... reptilian, for want of an analogy you can understand. If required I could regrow a limb. Only death - the severing of my brain and nervous system from enough of my body can kill me. Our race is very long lived. It is why we travel the ... oceans... though why we have stayed so long on this... ocean... is beyond me." she moaned.

Dr Jekyll mopped his brow and looked about, nervous. "We should find shelter for the evening, yes? And then, perhaps a means of transportation. Horse and carts perhaps. We have ..." he looked at the rowing boat being unloaded with stacks of boxes and cases. "Not travelled light."

Captain Savage had changed into canvas trousers and shirt and looked every inch the adventurer and explorer. He checked the rounds in his revolver and blew out the barrel of his rifle.

Edward Starkey quipped "Expecting trouble Savage? There are people here who are more than capable of protecting us."

Savage smiled "Perhaps, Mr Starkey, but has it occurred to you that the manner of threat and menace that will present itself may scale so that those fine gentlemen to which you refer may find it challenging? Where then does that leave the rest of us mere mortals?"

Starkey smiled. Then he opened a case, fished about and came out with what looked to Haunt and Steeplejack to be a 1950s era idea of a raygun. "Relax, enjoy the ride but keep your guns loaded, eh, Captain? I like your thinking. Here. Let me explain the workings of this device. It is called a 'disruptor' and after chatting with Rashid he was kind enough to give me one to work with."

Holmes turned to Gibb and Carter. "We need to keep a low profile. Some of us may be able to speak French and we should do the talking. The Baron is, I think, key to our chasing the grail. However he has his own agenda and it has yet to be fully revealed. Be on your guard, sirs." he said quietly.

The group moved off the beach with cases and boxes in tow. Steeplejack felt the reassuring Earth below him and felt his powers restored. He felt... whole again, and couldn't help but kneel to run a reassuring handful of rich earth between his fingers, dusting it off with not a speck left on.

Holmes consulted with Watson and Savage whilst sat on a box. There were rough dirt tracks and the group had settled on one of those. Then he waved everyone in. "Ladies and Gentlemen, we are close to a town in France called Bordeaux. I say 'close' but it is around 25 miles away. There are settlements, small villages before then and I suggest we make our way there to find transportation."

He stepped aside as the others contemplated hefting heavy boxes, cases and crates for 25 miles. "Unless you Gentlemen have a better idea?" asked Holmes.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jan 28 2021, 20:08

Admin wrote:He stepped aside as the others contemplated hefting heavy boxes, cases and crates for 25 miles. "Unless you Gentlemen have a better idea?" asked Holmes.

OOC: This is the point where Haunt becomes a train of camels or something, or even worse a dragon Very Happy In any case, I am happy to carry my load as well in whatever way seems more appropriate given the nature of where we are. I will also check in with the 'Baron' to get a fix on the approximate location of the grail.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jan 28 2021, 20:40

"Do you think we can buy a horse, mule or oxen nearby," the Haunt asks. "Doesn't really matter if it is in great shape. I can form myself around that dingy we rowed in on, making wheels and a frame to hold it, and a front seat, then we could put the animal in front so it looks like it is pulling a weirdly shaped wagon when I would actually be doing the rolling of my "wheels"."

He then grins, "Of course, we will have to put all the barrels and supplies and such back on it."

ooc: Or actually turn the boat around so it's stern which would be squared off becomes the "front" of the wagon. It already has a seat close to the end so that would work.

look something like this

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 7 Rowboa10

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jan 31 2021, 10:33

Holmes chuckled "You fellows really are a wonder! The most important thing is to remain incognito as much as we can. For us to attract crowds that point and gather at our every appearance simply would not do!"

"I can fly using my jetpack." said Starky, looking bored. "We can make effective progress with me pulling something on wheels." he said, checking his nails.

Watson blustered "Didn't you hear Holmes? We need to remain out of sight or at least not noticed!"

Captain Savage patted Watson on the shoulder. "I would suggest to Mr Carter that he use his remarkable abilities to find a town or city where we can purchase transportation, then Mr Carter take over the duties where a team of horses might normally take the strain."

"We are a large group." said Dr Jekyll, nervously. The man was always sweating, mopping his brow and looking around, jumping at shadows. "We will need several vehicles."

Gibb moved over to where the Baron was stood with Mina, who remained quiet, shamed by her giving into the thirst that controlled her. He turned as Gibb approached and frowned, glancing at the currently cloud covered sun. "I must regretfully say that we must travel slowly, and with care in sunlight, sir. A slip here, a stray beam there and I shall suffer from sunburn as you've never seen before." he muttered. "As for the grail." He turned and stared at the fields and forests with hills rolling into the distance. "It's moving away, steadily. Miles away, a long distance indeed. The progress is steady. It was static for a time but after the incident with the ship it started to move again."

"It is a relief, Mr Gibb, to me that the accursed chalice is moving away from me. The power of the .... the cup... is such that it might prevent my getting too close." he said, bloodshot eyes peering from under a tall wide brimmed hat.

Back at the rowing boats John Carter (of Mars) drawled "We need ta git movin. Those bad guys ain't gonna sit around waitin' fer us ta catch up. What say you n me..." he said to Carter/Haunt "have a look see an find some horses? I got some experience in that regard..."

"How would you keep up with Mr Carter?" asked Watson. "The other Carter." mumbled Watson with a glance from John to Nick Carter.

John Carter grinned "I ain't had chance ta show it yet, but ah can do stuff too!" With that he jumped up... and kept going, up, up, up... until he was a dot in the sky!

"Ye...GODS!" said Watson, staring up and shielding his eyes from the sun.

Just then Carter started to drop and people spread out as he THOOOMED to the ground making a small crater around him!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Jan 31 2021, 16:40

Nick Carter/Haunt slaps his forehead.  "DOH!  I totally forgot I can drive a wagon or carriage.  Learned to handle animals a few decades back in America's Wild West.  And our other amazing leaping Carter can do so as well.  I just never really used the skills since then.  So why don't the two of us go into town and try buying a few covered wagons or carriages?  Have we got the money for that?  And who besides me can speak French? Regardless of what we do, we are going to be noticed. We are too big a group in a rural area. Get into the cosmopolitan areas and we can blend in much easier."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 02 2021, 06:15

Holmes smiled "I can speak French, as well as a few other languages."

"As can I." said Captain Savage. "i'll go with you."

Starky held up a hand "I'd say we're covered for money, so long as they take... gold doubloons?"

He held the lid open on a small chest and inside glowed coins, all gold!

"ye... gods!" said Watson. "That's a small fortune in gold coins there! Where did you get it from?"

Starky shrugged. "Nemo's people gave it to us. Turns out in the course of their travels in that remarkable machine they recover sunken treasure from the ocean floor and find it useful to buy supplies with, though with their technology it would be easy enough to force what they need from people. Rashid said Nemo doesn't work that way."

Dr Jekyll scooped a handful of coins up, gaping at them. "These are old! I'm... we're... rich!" he said, shoving coins into his pocket and reaching for more... until John Carter grips his wrist.

"Now hold on there pardner. This here gold is fer the group an' we'll have ta make it last ah reckon." he said, friendly enough but with steel in his gaze.

"Unhand me you colonial oaf!" said Jekyll. "You have no idea with whom you are dealing!"

Carter replied "Calm down there and ah'll let ya go. You can't go takin... what the...?"

Jekyll gasped, then threw his head back! He started to swell, grow, expand, his face becoming ugly and misshapen whilst his body swelled with muscle and size!

Watson stumbled back. "What the...?"

Holmes glanced at Gibb and Carter. "Did you know....?" he asked as he, too, tried to take in what was happening!

Starky fished out a small pistol and looked at Jekyll's now eight foot height, clothes shredded and muscles rippling! "I need a bigger gun!" he declared.

John Carter stepped back "Calm down!" he said, and looked up... and up... and up!

Dr Henry Jekyll was gone and in his place towered Mr Edward Hyde!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Feb 02 2021, 09:32

Admin wrote:John Carter stepped back "Calm down!" he said, and looked up... and up... and up!

Dr Henry Jekyll was gone and in his place towered Mr Edward Hyde!

Gibb walked forward, "Hyde I guess you'd make yourself known at some point, but you were brought on this mission for the good of all. If you don't get in line, well then we are going to have to set you on the naughty step to teach you a lesson."

Gibb meaningfully looked to his friend whilst gesturing the others back, knowing that Hyde probably wouldn't respond save to force. Deep withing he sighed though truth be told it was amazing Jekyl had lasted this long, without his other half making his presence felt.

OOC: OK Haunt can take down Hyde by himself, I've no doubt, but to be honest it's good to be back on solid ground where I can use my powers again Very Happy so I will wait to team up with Haunt. Dave, you determine what you want to do, and Steeplejack will fall in line to best support you with team attack. Paul, I'll leave it with you, when Dave has responded to decide how that best works to keep things moving. .

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Feb 02 2021, 13:18

"You go ahead and handle this one," Nick Carter/Haunt tells his friend. "The rest of you step back."

"At least, he didn't turn green," he mumbles as he shoos everyone away from the potential fight.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 02 2021, 15:46

Despite his size Mr Hyde moved faster than any mere human and he launched himself at Steeplejack, mindless of the cries of protest or threats from several of the group to use their guns on him!

However, as fast as Hyde was, Steeplejack was faster!

Stepping up the much smaller man delivered a shocking punch intended to stun Hyde in his tracks!

OOC Assuming an Attack 3D/Defence 2D split and a crit blow...

AV13 + Roll(5d12)+0: 7,11,6,4,8,+0 Total:19 (32) vs
OV7 + Diff 3 + 1D Acro (1D M Arts) + crit blow 4 + Roll(3d12)+0: 5,8,9,+0 Total:17 (31)
+1 (to 14) vs RV8 + Diff 3 - Crit Blow 6 (RV5)=9 RAPs.

Mr Hyde is DOWN and OUT!

POW!

With a terrific right hook that the Marquis of Queensbury would be proud of Steeplejack sends Hyde tumbling backwards to crash into the surf on the beach! He lays on his back and almost immediately starts to transform, shrinking back into Dr Henry Jekyll, albeit looking somewhat worse for wear with a terrific developing shiner and shredded clothes!

"Nice right hook sir." said Holmes. "Watson, Captain Savage, do be good fellows and help Dr Jekyll will you? Mr ... John... Carter would you consider it too much of an inconvenience to carefully watch Dr Jekyll?"

Carter blew out with respect for Steeplejacks' punch and he nodded "Ah'll do ma best Mr Holmes."

Holmes turned to Carter and Gibb. "Once more gentlemen we are reminded how lucky we are to have you among our ranks. Dr Jekyll and his grotesque alter ego were a surprise but not a remarkable one given the company I find myself in. We need transportation and a low profile. Can you gentlemen manage that?"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Feb 02 2021, 16:51

"Come along as well, Mr. Holmes," Nick Carter suggested after giving his buddy a high five, "you are probably much better at negotiating a fair price than either of us are. We might get soaked if we did it on our own and word of rich fools might carry on ahead of us."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Feb 02 2021, 20:49

DavidMcMahon wrote:"Come along as well, Mr. Holmes," Nick Carter suggested after giving his buddy a high five, "you are probably much better at negotiating a fair price than either of us are.  We might get soaked if we did it on our own and word of rich fools might carry on ahead of us."

Gibb nodded, "I got lucky, but I'd best stay here to make sure he causes no trouble should he wake up. I am tempted to leave him, save the fact that I think the French have done nothing to deserve such a fate. So I'll hold back in case he gets bolshy. Don't go having too much fun in my absence."

Gibb went to Hyde and picked him up as if he was weightless. Bringing him to the others, he set him down gently. He felt no need to be cruel, Hyde had brought this fate on himself but he wasn't surprised that Jekyll was a much a curse as he was some sort of dark design or desire of the man, made manifest.

He suggested that they make themselves comfortable. Raising his hand he took his time to form the earth about into seating for them all to sit in a circle. Sitting on his he let his mind drift looking back to England and Penelope. With a deep sigh, he brought his mind back to matters at hand. Look at the Baron he motioned for him to sit beside him, "What is your reading on the grail?"

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Feb 03 2021, 15:36

Holmes and Carter, consulting Detectives, rode along a country lane with only the sharp eyed able to notice that Carter had a tendril from the horses tail that ran to the other Horses tail and formed into a horse for Holmes to ride!

The 'Horse' Carter rode on was in fact his own body, morphed to give the appearance of riding a beautiful sleek horse.

Despite splitting his power the horses provided made decent time and the pair - along with a sackful of coins - were soon in sight of a village.

=========

"The grail is moving away, always." said the Baron. "It is a relief to me, Mr Gibb, but I understand we must get closer."

"At some point we will get too close to approach it for myself and Mrs Harker." he said, referring to Mina who sat wrapped in a cloak and hood with head down, shamed by her bestial behaviour. That said, the alien crewmember Anjali, currently posing as an Asian Indian girl, seemed chatty and happy to converse with the 'fallen' lady, despite her role on this expedition to be as a source of sustenance for the Vampires.

"I need to know, Mr Gibb, what your and Mr Carter - the more 'talented' one - have in the way of intentions towards me and the lady. I know you abhor my nature but it is as it is and I cannot help it. I must say though in warning... over the centuries many have tried to deny me existence and yet I remain. I can call on dark powers but our goals remain aligned so I am willing to honour our ... truce and our co-operation until such time as the Grail becomes too strong, too close to approach. Then I would hope that you and Mr Carter as men of honour will allow me and Miss Mina to leave freely, and of our own free will."

=========

Elsewhere...

"We shall outrun them!"

"I think not. The powers ranged against us Moriarty are not of this world. The stakes are higher than you can imagine and it seems that your old nemesis has gathered about him a force the likes of which this world has never seen before. We must then, therefore, use every means at our disposal to delay or destroy them."

"And how do you propose to do that?"

"Why, with a simple telegram, my Dear Professor." replied the voice, though there was no love in it for the insidious foe of Sherlock Holmes!

The pair watched as the telegram was sent through, the terrified operator tapping away on the machine with a gun at his head...

=========

Not too far away...

(translated from French)

"We have a target. Let's move."

=========

Carter and Holmes surveyed the scene.

"Idyllic village life. A farming community, Mr Carter, with little to worry about save the endless struggle against Mother Nature..." said Holmes, looking at the village from a hill top. The scene was peaceful, lovely and a world away from the chaos that Advent, Moriarty, Fu Manchu and others were trying to inflict upon it!

"Let's find ourselves wagons and horses sir, as well as fresh food and supplies, eh?" smiled the Detective, but Haunt saw he never had a hand far away from the inside of his coat pocket where he suspected the man's revolver was...

OOC The village is a dozen houses and one main street with a shop that acts as everything from post office to grocery store to village pub. Carter and Holmes can see people going about their business, kids playing in the street with dogs and a ball, and beyond that farmers working in fields at ploughs.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Feb 03 2021, 17:58

Admin wrote:"The grail is moving away, always." said the Baron. "It is a relief to me, Mr Gibb, but I understand we must get closer."

"At some point we will get too close to approach it for myself and Mrs Harker." he said, referring to Mina who sat wrapped in a cloak and hood with head down, shamed by her bestial behaviour. That said, the alien crewmember Anjali, currently posing as an Asian Indian girl, seemed chatty and happy to converse with the 'fallen' lady, despite her role on this expedition to be as a source of sustenance for the Vampires.

"I need to know, Mr Gibb, what your and Mr Carter - the more 'talented' one - have in the way of intentions towards me and the lady. I know you abhor my nature but it is as it is and I cannot help it. I must say though in warning... over the centuries many have tried to deny me existence and yet I remain. I can call on dark powers but our goals remain aligned so I am willing to honour our ... truce and our co-operation until such time as the Grail becomes too strong, too close to approach. Then I would hope that you and Mr Carter as men of honour will allow me and Miss Mina to leave freely, and of our own free will."

Gibb nodded at the Baron, "I appreciate your help Baron, though I also appreciate you and I are at odds as to a great number of things. I intend to return the grail to its proper place, you will have to face a different judge to me one day Baron than me. I appreciate we could try to, "kill you" but I suspect it would rather only stop you for a time before you regenerated in some form. So when the time comes I won't stand in your way, but as regards to Mina, I think we should let her decide her own path for herself. We may be allies Baron, but we will never be friends, not whilst you fight against the angels."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next