The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack!

3 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 6 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack!

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jan 03 2021, 14:54

Admin wrote:Nemo raised an eyebrow. "What's this Mr Gibb? Madame Mina has... ' a thirst'?"

Gibb nodded a weary look came across him as he chose his words carefully, then thought Nemo was an alien it probably didn't mean what it did to them as it did to him.

"The Count is a what we call a vampire, they live off the blood of the living. They both need blood to survive. Its both an affliction and a curse, without the blood of the living, what life they cling to, would be gone. They no natural means to replenish their own, but since at this time people can't give it voluntarily the thirst like that of a hungry man can drive them to distraction. If not destruction. Have you any facilities onboard to synthesise blood, or even reproduce platelets. It might be possible to synthesise the actual aspects of blood they need and find a better way for them to 'feed' as it were.

OOC: OK regardless of the answer, but if it can be done, it would be good to get some made up. Anyway I need to find Mina and the Count, in case they get distracted and feed on an Atlantean, Nemo's people are probably a long way down the food chain to them, but then again...Gibb will start in their last known location and see if he can't track the most likely place they'd have gone from there.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 6 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack!

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Jan 03 2021, 17:23

Moving back over the top of the ship, the Haunt stretches' himself over it and shifts himself to look like a whale, so at least from the surface the ship would appear as a whale.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Steeple_jackuk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 04 2021, 19:31

"A what?" spluttered Watson. "Mind you, we've seen so many strange and miraculous things over the last two days I shouldn't be surprised. If the pair of them have some sort of blood disorder perhaps I can help. And Dr Jekyll. He's with Holmes and Carter. The other Carter. Looking for the Baron and Miss Mina."

Gibb moved into the corridor to see Edward Starky examining an open panel on the wall over the shoulder of two of Nemo's crew members who were trying to fix it from the looks of it. "Hullo" he remarked, then got back to studying.

Captain Savage was back at the dining room looking worse for wear but picking at food. "In the absence of anyone telling me what was going on I thought I'd better eat something." he said. Gibb looked about and turned to Watson. "Which way did they go?"

"Pffft. Miss Mina said she was going to the ladies. The Baron suggested he check on her. That was the last anyone saw before the ship started shaking and the lights started flickering. That Rashid fellow set a couple of guards to watch over us and ran off." said Watson.

Gibb frowned then started running through the corridors, knocking on doors and peeking into rooms. The trouble was, this ship was so vast, it could take minutes... or hours to search it!

=========

Haunt switched positions as the ship continued to rise and thought about the appearance of a whale. Multiple whales. This thing was too big for him to cover and he knew if the ship on the surface came close it would never pass a close inspection!

Still, at least it wasn't sinking any more. He wondered how Steeplejack was getting on.

=========

Elsewhere...

"Are you sure about this?"

"Yes, I can track them wherever they go!"

"And you... your skills in the arcane... are you sure your plan will work? If we can kill Holmes and his party now before they get chance to catch us, no one will be able to stop us!"

"I would say trust me Moriarty, but you are as trustworthy as a snake!"

"As are you Dr Fu Manchu!"

"Ah, but when I say something, my word is my bond! Now watch... for the mist swirls in the waters.. look!"

The scene changed to show a dot on a blue background - the ocean. Zooming in, a dark dot - a ship grew larger in the vision. It was a sailing vessel, crewed and making good speed... and headed to where Holmes and his party had been tracked to!

Sprinkling arcane powders on the water, Fu Manchu chanted in a log forgotten language!

The captain on board the vessel gasped, clutching his throat!

=========

"Captain?" asked the first mate (translated from French)

The captain coughed... then turned. "Change course. Make sails furled for full speed! Break out the weapons!"

The first mate frowned, thought better of asking questions and barked orders... then turned when the Captain plunged his hand around his throat! Gasping, their eyes met.. and the hand relaxed! The first mate stared with an eerie look and the pair of them split up, grasping crew by the neck in turn, staring into their eyes and then moving on, as the crew did. Soon - in moments - the entire ship was in the thrall of the distant Chinese Sorcerer!

The distant voice echoed in their mind...

"A vessel shall surface! Board it! No gun shall halt you, no blade shall score your skin! Ignore all blows, find the man named Sherlock Holmes and kill him, and all his companions!" said the voice to the mesmerised crew on board the sailing vessel...

=========

Gibb moved through the ship... and paused with Watson almost barging into him and Savage close behind.

OOC Perception... Int 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 1,5,+0 Total:6 (16) vs
OV4 + Diff 3 + Roll(2d12)+0: 2,3,+0 Total:5 (12)
+3 (to 8) vs RV 4 + Diff 3 (RV7)=1 RAP

1) Blood on the floor... though not human blood you suspect! It was too... purple rather than red though in better light it would be clearly not human blood!

Gibb crouched, examining the dark red/purple liquid on the tilted corridor floor.

Glancing about he saw three doors nearby in this section of the corridor, all closed.

=========

Haunt did his best passable impression of Whales and poked his head above the water.

The sailing vessel had changed direction and seemingly made its way directly to where the Nautilus would be surfacing in the next few seconds! How had they seen it? Had something else alerted them? No matter. Mere sailors wouldn't be a problem - few believed the tall tales they spoke of when they got back from sea! Haunt wondered if he could conjure some kind of fan to blow the ship off course, but still used much of his body as a sticking plaster for the stricken ship. The distant shoreline must be France which put them in the bay of Biscay! They'd certainly made incredible progress and he had to wonder if they might have overtaken their... hmmm. That ship really WAS making for the Nautilus. Yet it wasn't visible above the waves yet and yet its course was unerring!

OOC My notes...

Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson
John Carter (of Mars)
Mina Harkness and Baron Alucard (Vampires)
Steeplejack and Haunt (of course)
Captain Savage, father of 'Doc' Savage (an infant in this time) and scientist/adventurer/doctor
Edward Starky, steampunk inventor and genius
Dr Henry Jekyll, noted scientist/doctor/pioneer in the field of genetic tampering

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 6 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 6 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Jan 04 2021, 20:14

As soon as the Nautilus surfaces, the Haunt summons his fog to help hide the ship. He also tries to find some way to communicate to those inside the sub about the oncoming sailing ship. A hatch he can open and yell down or starting to tap in Morse Code on the hull [Detective/Identification Systems or Thief/Security Systems?] or at worse, tapping three dots and three dashes over and over again on the hull, letting it ring inside the sub.

ooc: I can't remember if "S" is three dots or three dashes and "O" is the other but tapping SOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSO is bound to get noticed. cyclops Morse Code has been around since the 1840s so those on board should know it.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jan 04 2021, 21:00

Admin wrote:1) Blood on the floor... though not human blood you suspect! It was too... purple rather than red though in better light it would be clearly not human blood![/i][/color]

Gibb crouched, examining the dark red/purple liquid on the tilted corridor floor.

Glancing about he saw three doors nearby in this section of the corridor, all closed.

Beckoning the others over Gibb pointed to the blood "What do you make of that?

Letting the others take a closer look, Gibb stood up straight looking about to see if any of the three doors had any other traces of the blood about them. Motioning to the others he indicted what he was doing unsure if behind the door he would find Mina or the Count at some grisly business.

OOC: OK approach the doors, if there is no obvious candidate I suggest we each take a door and on the count of three open at once so that we can make sure we don't let our quarry hear us behind one of the other doors and duck out before we've got to them.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jan 08 2021, 11:35

"Sir!" barked a crewmember on the bridge of the Nautilus. "There's something... a tapping sound. It..."

"Put it on audio." replied Nemo. He frowned. "Very rough around the edges but it sounds like 'SOSOSO'. Or... 'SOS'. Have the scanners found any other vessels nearby? Is it safe to surface?"

"No but we haven't adapted anything to detect wooden sailing vessels yet sir. There isn't..."

"Of course! And with the Atlanteans lifting the ship we have no way to prevent her from surfacing and she'll be revealed!" gasped Nemo. "Get me an external view from the highest point of the ship whenever possible."

"Coming on line now sir, just breaking surface..."

"I... is that fog? How fortuitous! Did the forecast reveal...?"

"No sir, it seems to be localised."

"Miraculous indeed. I think our new friends have had something to do with that. I shall have to break out a bottle of my finest wine to thank them. Show me the vessel..."

The distant image of a sailing ship came onto one of the screens.

"Magnify."

The view zoomed in.

The second mate stepped up close to the Captain. "Sir, is it just me, or... do those crew members have red eyes and look... 'rabid'?"

=========

Captain Savage whispered to Watson. "Your sidearm Doctor."

Watson blinked then nodded, pulling out his revolver.

Gibb nodded and the three opened the doors... Nothing for Gibb, a crewman's quarters.

Savage was ready, taking aim inside ... a storage room with cleaning chemicals and implements.

Watson had been glancing aside and turned to the doorway he opened to reveal... "Ye gods!"

Gibb moved over to see the body of a crewman draped across the lap of Mina Harker who was drenched in green blood down her front. The Baron was stood over her, green ichor over his own hands and trousers. The crewman was barely alive, and had reverted to a green skinned reptilian form albeit with puncture wounds in his throat.

"Ah. Alas, i had hoped to cover this up before you found the mess." stated the Baron. He stared at Gibb as if to challenge the hero.

==========

Haunt's fog hid the top of the Nautilus as it surfaced but the sailing vessel continued unerringly towards the space turned underwater vessel.

It would be some minutes before it got there but Haunt got the distinct impression that the vessel was making for the Nautilus, something that should not have been possible and made no sense - with the shore distant the vessel should normally be taking a different course.

Whoever was on the ship clearly wanted to take a closer look!

OOC you have a few minutes but Fog:8 won't be enough to cover the completely surfaced Nautilus. It's just too big.

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 6 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 6 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Jan 08 2021, 16:09

Haunt's fog hid the top of the Nautilus as it surfaced but the sailing vessel continued unerringly towards the space turned underwater vessel.

It would be some minutes before it got there but Haunt got the distinct impression that the vessel was making for the Nautilus, something that should not have been possible and made no sense - with the shore distant the vessel should normally be taking a different course.

Whoever was on the ship clearly wanted to take a closer look!

OOC you have a few minutes but Fog:8 won't be enough to cover the completely surfaced Nautilus. It's just too big.

===================
ooc:  One of these days I am going to get all my powers up to 15!  {Years?  Decades from now?} sunny sunny  
Looking over Stretching, I see my current level lets me stretch a mile.  Level 15 would be 30 miles!!!  I could easily stretch myself to the top of Mt. Everest from its base with a stretching of 13!

Forming his eyes into binoculars, the Top half Whale/Fog Haunt peers at the oncoming ship trying to determine who they are and what they are doing on board, giving up trying to form the top half of the Nautilus into looking like a whale and standing on its bow in his normal cowboy form but still keeping the fog going.

ooc:  Once he spots the red eyes of the ship's crew, he is going to be looking for weapons on board the ship.  Is it totally a sailing ship or a combination steam ship/sailing ship?  Is it some nation's naval vessel?  Is there a flag showing that let's us know which nation it s from?
My current plan is to either dive into the ocean and swim sort of an angle from it and then using stretching of that nice mile distance, break off it's rudder or just send his arm into the water and under that vessel to break the rudder.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jan 08 2021, 19:28

Admin wrote:Watson had been glancing aside and turned to the doorway he opened to reveal... "Ye gods!"

Gibb moved over to see the body of a crewman draped across the lap of Mina Harker who was drenched in green blood down her front. The Baron was stood over her, green ichor over his own hands and trousers. The crewman was barely alive, and had reverted to a green skinned reptilian form albeit with puncture wounds in his throat.

"Ah. Alas, i had hoped to cover this up before you found the mess." stated the Baron. He stared at Gibb as if to challenge the hero.  

Gibb was so angered at that point he was almost lost for words. "Put...them...down...gently! He said each word forced out between clenched teeth as he couldn't believe that the Count let alone Mina had allowed themselves to indulge without alerting them to their need so they might take action in a more decent way.

Pointing at them both he said abruptly "You...you with me either conscious or unconscious your choice!" Turning to Savage and the Doctor he said, "Help them if you can Doctor, I will tell Nemo and get these two to face him and see what he makes of this!"

OOC: Gibb is ready to unleash a torrent of anger at them both, nature or not, this is abhorrent and they should have made their need clear before it came to this. He is so angry he'll need only a hair to trigger an attack on them both - although on Mina he'd not be so hard, his real rage would be reserved for the count if it comes to that.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 11 2021, 10:52

Haunt is no maritime expert but takes a look at the distant ship with binocular peepers...

OOC Perception 8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 7,4,+0 Total:11 (19) vs
OV5 + Diff 3 + range 0 (telescopic vision negates) + Roll(2d12)+0: 12,4,+0 Total:16 (24) Failed

Haunt can't make out any flags nor much in the details of whether it is self powered or uses wind. Those red eyes and rabid stares occupy his attention!

Transforming his body into a torpedo of sorts he blasts under the waves towards his target!

==========

Elsewhere...

"What was that?"

"I don't know. The fog is a mystery too."

"Could it be... the mysterious strangers Holmes has aligned with?"

"Perhaps. The mesmerised crew have the strength of ten men each, and are impervious to small arms fire as well as being immune to the effects of the environment." explained Fu Manchu. "Albeit at a cost. Their life energy, which would last decades from now, will be measured in mere moments! A small price to pay and one they shall be oblivious to as they die of old age in a short time!" cackled the insidious villain.

"Amazing! How does it...?"

"A magician never reveals his tricks Moriarty. Besides, in the present company I believe all of use would be unwise to lower our guard against any threat - outward or inward! You stick to the planning and I shall ... execute!"

=========

Haunt with a periscope above the waves suddenly sees the sailors leaping from the side of the ship and swimming at a speed which would embarrass any olympian... and most speedboats!

There must have been... fifteen... twenty of them, with a skeleton crew steering the ship on a collision course with the Nautilus!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 11 2021, 11:11

The Baron Alucard raised an eyebrow. "Be careful Mr Gibb. You do not address some mere lackey! However..." he glances at Mina and starts to lift her gently...

She turns, feral, hissing at the Baron who's countenance changes. "Beware lady! My patience is not without limits!"

His eyes flash and Mina pales, shying back.

She seems unwilling to give up her prize but the Baron leans in, baring extended fangs! "Retire to your room directly and clean yourself up! Stay there until I come for you!" he snarled.

Watson shies back, terrified, and even Savage seems to shake as he holds the pistol in trembling hands!

Steeplejack doesn't feel the effect as the others do but watches as Mina gets up, embarrassed and unsure of herself. Savage nods "I'll go with her." with a glance to Gibb.

The Baron steps up. "Know this Mr Gibb. Mrs Harkers' changed state will require some getting used to. I am old, and my appetites can be kept in check thanks to my steel will. I must however admit I was surprised by the change in her that compelled her to seek out sustenance."

He frowned and sucked in a breath, scowling. "It is as if..." he looks about. "We are being watched, and something... or someone... was able to accelerate the process within her that compels those of us ... afflicted... to feed on living beings."

"You... you are monstrous!" gasped Watson, stemming the flow of blood from the crewman's neck as best he can, but even there he seems troubled.

"You are correct Doctor. I am what I am, but there are forces at play here of which I am yet unaware." he turns to Gibb. "I will think upon this, but we need to get off this vessel." He looks Steeplejack in the eye. "I am.. uncomfortable on water and I suspect you are the same. As it is, I ... feel... we have almost caught the Grail up. If I had a map I could perhaps narrow down its location. A ... holy... artefact of such great significance as that is calls to me, compels me to 'stay away'. However, by moving in directions that I do not feel that compulsion we can narrow down the location of the Grail, yes?"

Watson looks up at Steeplejack. "This.. this crime cannot go unpunished!" he gasps.

Just then the crewman opens his eyes and starts to get up. "Rest!" says Watson. "You should not even be able to..."

"Doctor, I believe..." the Baron licks green blood from his finger and grimaces. "The crewman is ... reptilian in nature. His powers of recovery and recuperation may be remarkable, even by my standards." He turns to Gibb and moves to the side, leaning in "We are in grave danger Mr Gibb. The forces arrayed against us may even be somehow watching us at this very moment."

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jan 11 2021, 11:57

Admin wrote:"Doctor, I believe..." the Baron licks green blood from his finger and grimaces. "The crewman is ... reptilian in nature. His powers of recovery and recuperation may be remarkable, even by my standards." He turns to Gibb and moves to the side, leaning in "We are in grave danger Mr Gibb. The forces arrayed against us may even be somehow watching us at this very moment."

His anger abated, but the Baron's explanation, at least for now, Gibb turns back to Watson and the Crewman, "I'm truly sorry for what has happened, but if the Baron is right it might be we are under attack on a number of different fronts. Not just the Atlanteans. Watson, Baron, I suggest we leave this crewman to get on with his duties and get to the main deck we need to speak with Captain Nemo and my friend Carter."

OOC: Wow didn't realise Fu Man Chu was able to affect us here as well as the crewman over there. Nasty, but with the Baron's help we might yet be able to narrow down the search. Shame to leave the Nautilus behind but it might be for the best so it can make repairs and stop churning up the oceans. So first stop Nemo, and then to see how we might proceed and with whom on from there.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Jan 11 2021, 13:39

ooc: Actually just recently bought the first book of the Fu Manchu series, having never read it before but only saw a few movies about him - an old B&W with Claudette Colbert as his daughter and one of the Hammer films. But I understand he is, among other things, a biologist, a chemist and an early version of a geneticist as well as a hypnotist.

Haunt with a periscope above the waves suddenly sees the sailors leaping from the side of the ship and swimming at a speed which would embarrass any olympian... and most speedboats!

There must have been... fifteen... twenty of them, with a skeleton crew steering the ship on a collision course with the Nautilus!

The Haunt veers towards the swimming men and once they are all in range of his Fear Aura, blasts them with it and then veers off, regardless of effect, to take out the ship's rudder and propeller, if there is one.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jan 13 2021, 18:27

"This is preposterous!" wailed Watson, but Captain Savage agreed with Gibb.

"The crewman is injured but what would affect a human being barely registers on his reptilian physiology. Remarkable. Holmes tried to prepare me for the wonders and amazing sights I would see, but so far nothing can quite compare to the sights my eyes and other senses are struggling to comprehend. Here fellow.." he says to the crewman, helping him up. "You may need to rest a while, if an opportunity presents." He looked closer. "Watson! Look! Not a mark on him!" he declared, wiping a smear of green blood from the crewman's throat.

The Baron stepped in, leaning into Gibb. "You may consider this ... inhuman, but may I offer a suggestion? These crew members have remarkable powers of recuperation. Madame Mina and myself have certain... requirements. Rather than prey on the innocent perhaps a willing crewman might avail themselves to us though I will admit the taste is an acquired one. I may be monstrous, Mr Gibb, but I am not, contrary to any held belief, a monster."

=========

Haunt unleashed the power of his fear effect but didn't hang about to see the results, instead shape changing into a sleek dolphin form and diving below the waves!

OOC AoF 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 7,7,+0 Total:14 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 5,11,+0 Total:30 (40) vs
OV7 + Diff 3 +
Roll(2d12)+0: 5,2,+0 Total:7 (17) 5 RAPs
Roll(2d12)+0: 3,3,+0 Total:6 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 3,12,+0 Total:21 (31) 4 RAPs
Roll(2d12)+0: 7,1,+0 Total:8 (18) 5 RAPs
Roll(2d12)+0: 1,9,+0 Total:10 (20) 6 RAPs
Roll(2d12)+0: 3,12,+0 Total:15 (25) 5 RAPs
Roll(2d12)+0: 5,2,+0 Total:7 (17) 7 RAPs freezes in fear! This sailor drowns!
Roll(2d12)+0: 4,10,+0 Total:14 (24) 6 RAPs
Roll(2d12)+0: 2,11,+0 Total:13 (23) 6 RAPs
Roll(2d12)+0: 11,5,+0 Total:16 (26) 5 RAPs
Roll(2d12)+0: 5,5,+0 Total:10 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 2,6,+0 Total:18 (28) 5 RAPs
Roll(2d12)+0: 7,11,+0 Total:18 (28) 5 RAPs
Roll(2d12)+0: 8,12,+0 Total:20 (30) 4 RAPs
Roll(2d12)+0: 11,10,+0 Total:21 (31) 4 RAPs
Roll(2d12)+0: 4,8,+0 Total:12 (22) 6 RAPs
Roll(2d12)+0: 12,4,+0 Total:16 (26) 5 RAPs

The sailors cry out, a fear greater than any that Fu Manchu and his mysteries from the Orient can conjure projected into their minds! Again with great beyond olympic speed they turn tail and swim in random directions!

Meanwhile under the ship Haunt sees a standard rudder and wrenches it from the ship! With a heave from his spectacular strength he turns the ship about, leaving it floundering against its own mass and momentum!

=========

On the bridge Gibb, along with Watson, Savage, the Baron and Mina, suitably cleaned up, see the Nautilus has surfaced, albeit there is a cloying fog around the great viewscreens encircling the bridge.

"Great Queen Victoria!" gasps Savage. "Never in my life have I imagined such a vessel as this! Truly incredible!"

Watson 'harrumphed' eyeing up the Baron and Mina with equal fear and venom.

Captain Nemo marched over. "Your remarkable friend has done ... something. A vessel was headed straight towards us and the sailors seemed... possessed, if that is the right word, of a need to leap off it and swim at us! You might laugh at that but they were swimming with such speed and ferocity they would leave sharks in their wake!"

Watson gaped at this but stayed quiet.

Just then Holmes, with Edward Starkey and Captain Carter arrived, along with Dr Jekyll and Rashid, Nemo's lieutenant and prime aide.

"Aha!" remarked Holmes, glancing up and down at the Baron and Madame Mina, his eyes lingering on several green blood spots.

Edward Starkey, who seemed permanently drugged or drunk, or both, commented "I say old boy." to Captain Nemo. "I jury rigged your pumps to run at 300% capacity. They won't last long at that but your ship will empty of water much faster."

Nemo frowned, was about to say something then glanced over a crewman's shoulder at a display. "Indeed... you seem to have had some benefit Mr Starkey. My thanks, though please ask next time before making any changes to my vessel. As you may have surmised, it is not of the type normally encountered in this day and age."

"Indeed it is not!" laughed the inventor and adventurer. "However a simple matter of 'tricking' the system with some crossed wires was able to achieve the desired results. Machines are machines Captain Nemo, and I understand machines."

Raising an eyebrow Holmes turned to Gibb. "I think we are endangering this vessel and all on it. We should disembark immediately. The powers ranged against us are more than mere 'intellect' I think."

Nemo nodded. "My offer of aid stands but the Nautilus shall travel no further until repairs are made. Nonetheless we have covered in hours a distance which would have taken days or weeks to travel. I think you should be able to catch up with the Miscreants who absconded with the Grail. Is there anything you require from me?"

OOC Is Haunt heading back to the Nautilus?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Jan 13 2021, 20:19

OOC Is Haunt heading back to the Nautilus?

OOC: Naw, the Haunt's going to get cocky and board the ship and find out who is on board. And of course, anytime he gets cocky, bad things happen. No tongue

Wondering who is onboard and why they were heading for the Nautilus, let alone knowing where it was, the Haunt in dolphin form, leaped into the air and transformed into a large albatross and fly over the ship trying to see who was onboard and what kinds of weapons the ship may have.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jan 14 2021, 11:33

Admin wrote:color=#0033cc]OOC Is Haunt heading back to the Nautilus?[/color]

All roads lead..."Captain Nemo, I believe our time has come to leave. The Baron, here feels he can narrow down the search and we, that is he and I at least would be better of on land. I am sure, given the trouble we've caused you, you to would be glad to be rid of us and repairs made to your ship. Could you set us down, on the nearest spit of ground? From there we can assemble our team, those who wish to go on and pursue the grail from there. I think we might be close judging by the sudden change in their schemes."

Then motioning to one side, Gibb brought the rather more delicate matter of Mina and the Baron's needs. He had every right to expect Nemo to be angry, but in truth, he hoped to make it clear that their need for blood, was much like our own for food. Though the curse that bestowed this half-life on them made it impossible for them to replenish their own, living blood, was as food, or oxygen to them. Since the Captain would see that his own appetite was satisfied to keep his hail and hearty aboard his ship, he hoped he sees their need, though unusual, in the same way.

OOC: Trying to throw the problem back to Nemo of how we keep the vampires from turning on us or other innocent souls. Anyway will wait for Haunt/Carter and see about getting ashore and assembling our team to follow the Baron's lead. He makes a good point, that the closer he is, the more uncomfortable he becomes, it really is like a game of hotter or colder ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jan 15 2021, 18:02

Haunt soared over the ship as a large albatross and looked down with telescopic peepers.

Well... he couldn't see much of interest. It was an old school sailing vessel, albeit one that now started to circle on itself. The crew - about half a dozen left - glowered up at him, ineffective. Haunt noticed a rifle leaning against the wheel, an axe hung on a peg and a couple of prodding/pulling poles with hooks on but no real weapons as such that could threaten something the size of an aircraft carrier, nor any reason why they should sail for it. Or how they found it.

They were all staring at Haunt though and... zooming in... he noticed all had 'mad' staring eyes that looked distinctly bloodshot. One of the sailors, quite old already, appeared to be ageing even as Haunt watched! Something was amiss clearly, but no clue as to what...

=========

Nemo glanced at the Baron who stared back, haughty and imperious.

"So, you are asking me to ... sacrifice... one of my crew in order to sate these... bloodsuckers purpose?" He pondered. "I owe you a great debt, but that is one I shall have to see if I can fulfil. I will not order one of my crew to surrender themselves, instead I shall ask for a volunteer. You will also have ... funds, a change or two of clothing, weapons if required and each shall carry a pendant on their person."

"My reach is far and extensive Mr Gibb. I have no love for the British empire and it's expansionist agenda but to you and Mr Carter I owe a great debt and I am a man who pays on his debts. The Nautilus will travel no further until repaired and I suspect I will have to engage in many conversations with the Atlanteans to placate them so I will be tied here. I shall arrange for boats to be cast to take you to shore. You will have your volunteer."

He spoke quietly with Rashid who, though professional, started at something the Captain said before bowing his head and hurrying off. Nemo turned to the bridge, offering orders and suggestions whilst the vast ship was jury rigged so as to prevent sinking.

Holmes came over. "We have made excellent time, a fact I can scarce believe. We may even have caught or overtaken our prey albeit be some distance over land to catch them. Using the Baron's strange and keen senses we may yet succeed in this most impossible of endeavours, but we must remain wary. Moriarty's associates deal in powers and rituals and mysteries that man was never meant to have knowledge of. The stakes are high indeed, the prize? The greatest of all - life and freedom from a perpetual age of stygian darkness!"

Nemo and Rashid came over, looking somewhat sheepish. Rashid spoke up. "We have not had time to conduct a full survey but asked those crew who we came across in the corridor first before having time to assemble someone. This may be irregular but a female crew member, Anjali, has volunteered."

They stepped aside to reveal a young woman standing about 5'6" tall, slim with feet spaced apart and hands behind back, dressed in the crew clothes which were simple dark top and trousers. Her hair was pulled back into a braid and her dusky skin was on the pale side for an Indian. Her fierce eyes suggested fire in her belly, however!

"Anjali has been... troublesome at times. She is free spirited and whilst useful, can often act without thinking. That said she has..."

"I have caused no trouble for some time!" she hissed. Nemo and Rashid glanced at each other, then glowered at the girl.

"She ventures ashore sometimes to explore." explained Rashid. "She is an accomplished... procurer of items."

"A thief? Excellent! We shall make good use of her skills no doubt!" said Holmes.

"Another stray to add to the list in our motley crew." muttered Watson.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Jan 15 2021, 19:13

The Haunt, wanting to lower the number of deaths, moves away from the circling ship and goes looking for those who had been swimming to the Nautilus when he drove them mad with fear. Not being a scientist and not knowing how many might be on the Nautilus, he grabs the one closet to the Nautilus and wings over to deliver them to his teammates to see if they can find anything about them.

If no one is out on the top of the ship, he will land by a hatch, keeping the red-eyed mad man under wraps by literally stretching an arm and wrapping him up almost as much as a mummy. He will then open the hatch and yell down for assistance, thinking his partner could handle the man if anyone else couldn't. If someone is on deck, then the same process but it should go faster.

Then he wants to search the seas for the rest with the intention of dropping them on board the disabled ship and then landing to investigate it with any who want to follow.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jan 15 2021, 21:23

DavidMcMahon wrote:The Haunt, wanting to lower the number of deaths, moves away from the circling ship and goes looking for those who had been swimming to the Nautilus when he drove them mad with fear.  Not being a scientist and not knowing how many might be on the Nautilus, he grabs the one closet to the Nautilus and wings over to deliver them to his teammates to see if they can find anything about them.

If no one is out on the top of the ship, he will land by a hatch, keeping the red-eyed mad man under wraps by literally stretching an arm and wrapping him up almost as much as a mummy.  He will then open the hatch and yell down for assistance, thinking his partner could handle the man if anyone else couldn't.  If someone is on deck, then the same process but it should go faster.

Then he wants to search the seas for the rest with the intention of dropping them on board the disabled ship and then landing to investigate it with any who want to follow.

OOC: OK whilst the others go make preparations, Gibb will assist bring aboard the crewman that Haunt brings for us to examine and telling him what has transpired so that we can get going on getting ashore.

As an aside I was hoping that the Captain could synthesise blood, so that like we can grow meat they clone it and that can be kept going as a means to feed Mina and the Baron. Cells if feed the right nutrients can be grown in the lab, we do it now. So can't imagine it's beyond the Captain and crew.

Anyway, I will help Haunt as best I can - but I guess its all pretty hopeless they'll die very fast, at an accelerated rate. But if we can learn anything, all the better.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Jan 16 2021, 03:27

Once Gibbs has the crewman, the Haunt goes to try and find the others and take them back to their original ship and investigate that for any clues. The Haunt doesn't really know that they are about to die of old age but ...
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 18 2021, 21:40

Haunt swoops in low to see a fleeing crewman pounding through the waves tirelessly at an impressive speed that would raise the eyebrows of any Olympic selection committee!

He reaches down with a tendril grown from his body to snag the swimmer...

OOC Dex 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 4,9,+0 Total:13 (23) vs
OV5 + Diff 3 + range 1 - modifier 2 (flank) + Roll(2d12)+0: 2,6,+0 Total:8 (15)
+4 (19EV) vs RV5 + dff 3=11 RAPs. Success.

Despite the time distortion it wasn't a challenge to snag the sailor who struggled with total futility against Haunts restraining tentacle.

Swooping back towards the surfaced Nautilus which was still wreathed in fog he saw a hatch open and his friend Steeplejack climb up ladders onto the top deck.

The struggling sailor hissed like an animal and the pair of heroes glanced at each other. His eyes were completely bloodshot and he didn't respond to requests for his name. Mind you, language might have been a barrier but they felt he didn't feel up to chatting...

With a hop the Baron came up onto the top deck looking up at the fog and pulling a hood over his head. "Mina is under the guard of Captain Carter. Your namesake may not be as remarkable as the pair of you but I suspect he has talents not immediately obvious. Like the unfortunate you have here."

The Baron crouched and looked the man in the eye who hissed... then calmed. Alucard glanced at Haunt and Steeplejack then stood. "I believe we are about to ..."

".... haaaaaaa!" hissed the sailor. Then, in an oriental tinged accented voice the sailor spoke "I see you... enemies... you seek... that which we have... you... I see... a dark spirit... you should be aligned with us! The thing we carry could destroy you!"

The Baron snarled. "I think..." he waved a hand then clenched his fist. "You should supply us with answers!"

The sailor thrashed about like a caged animal, screaming and flailing ineffectually against Haunt's grasp. Then he stiffened and the man started to age visibly! Baron Alucard hissed, his own eyes glowing red and he reached a hand to grasp the sailors chin! "I command thee... hearken to my voice! My power is that of ages! You..."

"I am old, I have knowledge beyond thee, foolish fallen Prince!" laughed the sailor. "I will... urk!" The Baron tightened his grip on the sailor and hissed "WHO ARE YOU!"

There was a groaning sound from the sailor whose hair was now white and face lined by age! His nails were growing rapidly and the clothes were hanging off his stringy form!

"Who... are you?" hissed Alucard, eyes blazing!

"Ahhhhhh!!! I am... FU... MANCHU!" the sailor hissed... before he dissolved into dust!

He'd aged from being a man in his heath in late 30s to what looked to be a hundred year old ancient in a matter of seconds!

Alucard straightened, snarling. "We are dealing with an ancient sorcerer, of a long line all called Fu Manchu. His powers are dark, and more... specialised than mine." he looked at the pile of dust in the mess of clothes on the floor.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jan 19 2021, 12:32

Admin wrote:Alucard straightened, snarling. "We are dealing with an ancient sorcerer, of a long line all called Fu Manchu. His powers are dark, and more... specialised than mine." he looked at the pile of dust in the mess of clothes on the floor.

Startled by the abrupt and unfortunate change in the man Gibb looked from the Baron to Haunt and mouthed the words "Fu Manchu!" Now things were getting strange, stranger in fact he thought to himself. "It was bad enough know we had Moriarty to face, now we've got some sort of mage throwing whatever he can at us. However, on a better note, they must be desperate if they are taking such direct action in our pursuit."

Gibb told Haunt that the Baron could detect the presence of the grail by virtue of the fact it would make him increasingly uneasy, or unwell as they got closer, before adding, "Perhaps now is the time to set afoot on the ground and pursue them overland" Gibb had made a secret of his dislike to the water, not least of all with the Atlanteans they'd faced. He for one, having started this time period almost drowning, would love to get back to some solid ground.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jan 19 2021, 12:33

"Let's see if I can rescue any more of these men," the Haunt says, turning back into a large albatross and going looking in the sea for the others. With 4 limbs he should be able to grab 4 at a time.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jan 20 2021, 23:29

Haunt took to the air and soon snared another three of the sailors...

All of whom were panting, exhausted, sagging old men!

Feebly they offered resistance but it seemed as they lay on the deck they were doomed!

The Baron frowned. "This magic. It has... given them strength, power beyond that of mortal men... at the cost of their mortality! Look! See! See how they age, this one now toothless and lined, the other balding before the eyes..."

There did indeed seem little that they could do. The doomed men sagged onto the deck and before long died and aged beyond belief before blowing away as dust on the breeze...

Captain Nemo climbed onto the deck and had watched in silence. "Your enemies are truly insidious, that they can do such a thing. Striking from afar and with such deadly powers..." he shivered. "I am a traveller. I have seen many things, been to many places, known many peoples. Never have I encountered power like this though!"

=========

"You failed Fu Manchu." snarled Moriarty.

"Have... a care... Professor..." gasped the old Chinese Man. "Be mindful... of how you... address me..." he gasped. "These magics are ancient and ... exact a price... one that I must pay. Tell me... all you know of... the white garbed one... and his friend... Their auras are brighter than the sun, yet they have others with them whose auras are equally intriguing. That man in the cloak and hood. Something about him... I wonder..."

Moriarty watched Fu Manchu go and narrowed his eyes. "Time to move on." he said to the others stood in the darkness.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jan 21 2021, 00:59

"I'm going to investigate the ship that they came on," Haunt tells the others. "I broke its rudder so they are helpless, assuming any are still alive on it. Anyone want to come with me and see what we can find out?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jan 21 2021, 11:50

DavidMcMahon wrote:"I'm going to investigate the ship that they came on," Haunt tells the others.  "I broke its rudder so they are helpless, assuming any are still alive on it.  Anyone want to come with me and see what we can find out?"

OOC: Dave wouldn't it be better to get on an pursue the grail? The ship seems like a distraction - unless you think there is more to gain. However, I think Paul is telegraphing by telling us what is going on with our enemies so we might press on.

Gibbs looked at Haunt and said, "You might be right, but I wonder if these are just collateral damage, pawns thrown at us to ware us down. In which case we could be closer than we think. I am wondering if we ought to press on. The Baron can tell when we are getting closer to the grail and this might be the closest we've come since it was stolen. I think we should press on?"

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next