The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack!

3 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 10 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack!

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Mar 25 2021, 12:58

ooc:  Since we are time traveling, maybe Gadgetry was erased/re-conned from existence and you could spend those original points from Gadgetry on getting Detective instead?  Unless it is a mistake on the character sheet, Steeplejack doesn't even have Detective.  And having the world's greatest detective around as a mentor would be a very good reason to pick it up now.   Idea

I still don't know why they call it Self-Manipulation *Snerk* instead of shapeshift or shape change.  Now they do have a power called Shape Change but it only lets you change shape into animal forms, which is Beast Boy's power.  So let's house rule it and call the old Shape Change is now "Animal Form" and call Self-Manipulation "Shape Change" now.  sunny

105 for Dex to 11
60 for Stretching to 11
120 for Self Manipulation (chuckle Very Happy) to 11

285HP leaving you 39HP.

Let's go with that, leaving me with 39 HP.  
And
WOW!  I can now Stretch 2-3 MILES with Stretching 11!  Mt. Everest is about 5.5 miles tall, so the Haunt could stretch halfway up the mountain!!!  12 Stretching will let me stretch OVER Mt. Everest!!! study study

And because I am bored at work, I did a bit more looking around. The English Channel is about 21 miles wide. Stretching of 14 will easily get me across it in one step! LOL!

And I found articles that say 20,000 feet is as high as you can go and still breath for any length of time without oxygen tanks. But with his Body of 14, he might be able to stretch higher into the air without a problem.

Thermosphere
The thermosphere starts just above the mesosphere and extends to 600 kilometers (372 miles) high. Aurora and satellites occur in this layer.

This would be a stretching of 18. Guess I better put Sealed Systems on my list of things to do with the Haunt. then he could just stretch himself up to the Ultrahumans' satellite in space. LOL!!!! santa santa

Last edited by DavidMcMahon on Thu Mar 25 2021, 13:11; edited 1 time in total
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 10 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack!

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Mar 25 2021, 13:03

DavidMcMahon wrote:And
WOW!  I can now Stretch 2-3 MILES with Stretching 11!  Mt. Everest is about 5.5 miles tall, so the Haunt could stretch halfway up the mountain!!!  12 Stretching will let me stretch OVER Mt. Everest!!! study study

So that is like, you getting ahead of yourself. Or maybe when they say, "He's so full of himself" that is a literal description and not a snarky comment Razz

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Mar 25 2021, 13:16

Steeple_jackuk wrote:
DavidMcMahon wrote:And

So that is like, you getting ahead of yourself.  Or maybe when they say, "He's so full of himself" that is a literal description and not a snarky comment Razz

Sj

I love you I love you lol! lol!

Just thought of this but with my increase in Stretching and Shape Change [new name!], the Haunt could probably turn himself into a small dirigible and fly the team across Europe.

Image result for first dirigible flight
The first flight of Giffard's steam-powered airship took place Sept. 24, 1852 — 51 years before the Wright Brothers' first flight. Traveling at about 6 miles per hour (10 kilometers/hour), Giffard traveled almost 17 miles (27 kilometers) from the Paris racecourse to Elancourt, near Trappes.Jul 17, 2012
Inventor: Henri Giffard
This was a balloon dirigible and not a rigid frame dirigible.

When was the first rigid dirigible made?
In 1900, German military officer, Ferdinand Zeppelin invented a rigid framed dirigible or airship that became known as the Zeppelin. Zeppelin flew the world's first untethered rigid airship, the LZ-1, on July 2, 1900, near Lake Constance in Germany, carrying five passengers.Nov 12, 2019
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Steeple_jackuk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Mar 25 2021, 13:19

still bored at work and looking stuff up.

Alberto Santos-Dumont Gasoline-Powered Airship

However, it was not until the invention of the gasoline-powered engine in 1896 that practical airships could be built. In 1898, the Brazilian Alberto Santos-Dumont was the first to construct and fly a gasoline-powered airship.

Arriving in Paris in 1897, Alberto Santos-Dumont first made a number of flights with free balloons and also purchased a motorized tricycle. He thought of combining the De Dion engine that powered his tricycle with a balloon, which resulted in 14 small airships that were all gasoline-powered. His No. 1 airship first flew on September 18, 1898.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Mar 26 2021, 20:20

OOC Had planned to update across the board again today but 1) Knackered from a 3am start and 2) had a disaster with a laptop. Dropped it and now the display is pink and green Shocked Opened it up but I think it needs surgery which I can't be bothered to do at the moment (works fine plugged into the tv so it's the cable or the lcd screen which has gone south). No panic. I have another laptop (or two. Actually five it turns out) but used most of the afternoon bringing one back to life.

Not lost anything, game wise, and I'll pull the hard drive from the iffy laptop or fix it, not sure which yet. Anyway, point is it gobbled all my time up. Doh.

=========

David M - Haunt

Gotcha. Boost Dex and Stretching/Body Morphing (Self Manipulation...) to 11, HAUNTS HP 39 REMAINING

=========

Dave E

Spirit is Steeplejacks weak link. There's no real way to get huge amounts of spirit but for 210HP that goes from 6 to 9. A good start. OR Spirit to 8 (120HP) and Influence to 8 (70HP) might be more useful. Makes him 'harder to hit and damage' and adds a point to initiative. Total cost 190HP leaving 234HP. Agonisingly shy (21HP) of raising Dex but you could up Influence/Spirit to 7 instead and raise Dex + associated stuff to 14 with 39HP remaining.

I agree with Gadgetry. I have always maintained that all characters can be tweaked/changed if something isn't working or never gets used. I don't expect you to be an expert in the game and the way the campaign goes is mostly down to me so Steeplejack hasn't needed to use Gadgetry.It may still be useful at some point and fits in with his background as an inventor but maybe drop it to 4 making him a professional rather than world class inventor (cost 49HP). That would hand back 72HP.

Detective 7 costs 66HP giving him 6HP remaining. Any good? Detective missing from the sheet does seem to be an oversight given the type of character he is (cautious, thinks before charging in rather than a brick and world class thief - which hasn't been much use either). If that treads on Haunts toes (Detective is his big thing) maybe Detective 4 instead for 31HP and 41HP remaining maybe to spend on some senses.

I'm fine with these sort of tweaks because they don't interfere with what has gone before and as a player I've been frustrated in the past (decades ago admittedly) having made a character with certain abilities and they never ever get used. 'May as well have chucked it all into Dex or Str' goes the thinking and that makes a character very dull indeed. In the next issue (up over the weekend all being well) I will scoure through the character sheets and try to make sure that everything gets a use at least once. That might be a challenge!

Right, time to hit the sack. Last nights 4 and change hours sleep will hopefully not be repeated. I'm shattered.

More over the weekend! Cheers, Paul

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Mar 26 2021, 20:53

Everyone should have Detective! Heck, we got freakin' Sherlock Holmes detecting all the time. So I am not in the slightest bit peeved at another character having it. Besides, with the randomness of die rolls, having someone else detecting at the same time could be a godsend.

unless all 3 of us fails our rolls, then the bad guys win and the universe is destroyed. affraid
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Mar 26 2021, 21:34

Admin wrote:Dave E

Spirit is Steeplejacks weak link. There's no real way to get huge amounts of spirit but for 210HP that goes from 6 to 9. A good start. OR Spirit to 8 (120HP) and Influence to 8 (70HP) might be more useful. Makes him 'harder to hit and damage' and adds a point to initiative. Total cost 190HP leaving 234HP. Agonisingly shy (21HP) of raising Dex but you could up Influence/Spirit to 7 instead and raise Dex + associated stuff to 14 with 39HP remaining.

I agree with Gadgetry. I have always maintained that all characters can be tweaked/changed if something isn't working or never gets used. I don't expect you to be an expert in the game and the way the campaign goes is mostly down to me so Steeplejack hasn't needed to use Gadgetry.It may still be useful at some point and fits in with his background as an inventor but maybe drop it to 4 making him a professional rather than world-class inventor (cost 49HP). That would hand back 72HP.

Detective 7 costs 66HP giving him 6HP remaining. Any good? Detective missing from the sheet does seem to be an oversight given the type of character he is (cautious, thinks before charging in rather than a brick and world-class thief - which hasn't been much use either). If that treads on Haunts toes (Detective is his big thing) maybe Detective 4 instead for 31HP and 41HP remaining maybe to spend on some senses.

[/i][/color]

OK so I like the idea of Gadgetry as a background thing but if it's not a central part of his character I wonder if not being so good now is such a big deal. It's lovely to have this as "flavour" to his background but I've yet to see a use for it and a way to make use of it! It seems a bit like spell research, great if you get a workable spell from it, esp if it fills a niche, but what could I come up with that could help me in the world when we are playing? As it is I feel like when it comes to combat I'm a "one-trick pony". Leap in and martial arts...- I'm not complaining but it's all I've got.

So in terms of what we spend it on first, I like Spirit and Influence both to 8. Taking Detective to 7 for 66hp and that by my reckoning leaves me 196hp (assuming I do drop gadgetry as suggested). So either I try to see what 196hp can buy me, or I put Gadgetry back to what currently is forget the 72hp and see if there is anything with the 124 hp reminder I can make use of. I'm not opposed to using and keep gadgetry, but right now, I've never seen an obvious way to connect what we've been doing to that skill. Maybe I'm being myopic and or maybe my reticence re the rules might also be an issue. I'm kind of open to suggestions here. I might even get a chance to read up the power - that might be a good idea.

Thank's Paul, especially with the punishing schedule you've been under this last week.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Mar 27 2021, 01:08

Miss Victory was kinda of designed the same way. She's a brick, leap in and smash. So I feel what you are talking about

Then she got mental blast to give her a bit more variety. But then again the Haunt is the same way, he uses Omni-Arm to attack, the variety is in adding in Stretching and what his arms look like. So he can attack at range and up close.

But Steep has Earth Control as well as martial arts. The big limitation of needing earth or naturally occurring ground to use it is a big drawback. How about buying off that limitation instead of getting a new power? So like when we are on the ocean, there is earth under the sea so ripping up the sea floor, summoning that earth to use would then be possible.

There is the range limitation to deal with. So if the sea floor was more than a mile down [range of 10] you couldn't summon it. Also there is the burn out. You might want to buy it down if not off totally. Not sure what it would cost to get rid of those two limitations or get rid of one of them and buy down burn out to 4 or 2. But it might be doable and still have points left over to spend elsewhere. Paul would have to figure that out.

That would give you a fairly reliable ranged attack with "Earth Blast" from the control. Then you could work on building up the strength of your Earth Control to equal that of your martial arts. Then you would have a strong close in attack and a strong ranged attack.

Or you could have him develop a new power. There's lots of powers you could choose from.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Mar 27 2021, 12:36

DavidMcMahon wrote:Miss Victory was kinda of designed the same way.  She's a brick, leap in and smash.  So I feel what you are talking about  

Then she got mental blast to give her a bit more variety.  But then again the Haunt is the same way, he uses Omni-Arm to attack, the variety is in adding in Stretching and what his arms look like.  So he can attack at range and up close.

But Steep has Earth Control as well as martial arts.  The big limitation of needing earth or naturally occurring ground to use it is a big drawback.  How about buying off that limitation instead of getting a new power?  So like when we are on the ocean, there is earth under the sea so ripping up the sea floor, summoning that earth to use would then be possible.  

There is the range limitation to deal with.  So if the sea floor was more than a mile down [range of 10] you couldn't summon it.  Also there is the burn out.  You might want to buy it down if not off totally.  Not sure what it would cost to get rid of those two limitations or get rid of one of them and buy down burn out to 4 or 2.  But it might be doable and still have points left over to spend elsewhere.  Paul would have to figure that out.

That would give you a fairly reliable ranged attack with "Earth Blast" from the control.  Then you could work on building up the strength of your Earth Control to equal that of your martial arts.  Then you would have a strong close in attack and a strong ranged attack.

Or you could have him develop a new power.  There's lots of powers you could choose from.

Thanks for the suggestion Dave, Paul can you let me know what this would cost?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Mar 27 2021, 14:06

as an addendum to Earth Control, you could also look at Digging. A Digging of 10 lets you dig through granite. A digging of 15 lets you dig through diamonds. Digging of 20 lets you dig through Yullarium, the hardest substance in the Blood of Heroes game.

It's not much of an attack power unless, I guess, you are fighting some kind of earth/metal elemental, but great from underground movement and "digging" through walls. Rolling Eyes

BC 5, FC 2. So 50 HP to buy and 160 HP to get it to 8.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Mar 28 2021, 21:15

OOC to ditch the drawback costs FIVE times as many points as you orginally got for it.

Therefore to remove the limitation of loss of powers on artificial surface/regeneration only working in contact with earth costs 500HP

The Catastrophic Burnout saved you 48HP initially. To drop that from Catastrophic to Serious Burnout will cost 80HP. To drop it to minor burnout costs another 80HP and you guessed it to ditch the weakness completely costs a total of 80HP x3 (240HP).
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Mar 28 2021, 21:39

Admin wrote:OOC to ditch the drawback costs FIVE times as many points as you orginally got for it.

Therefore to remove the limitation of loss of powers on artificial surface/regeneration only working in contact with earth costs 500HP

The Catastrophic Burnout saved you 48HP initially. To drop that from Catastrophic to Serious Burnout will cost 80HP. To drop it to minor burnout costs another 80HP and you guessed it to ditch the weakness completely costs a total of 80HP x3 (240HP).

OK so let's not go with the loss, for now, let's go with what we can. I've got the 124 hp reminder can I combine that to my earth powers to do some sort of earth blast, or would it be better to hang onto it and save it for later? Sorry, back in the day I could have spent hours on this, but life is too busy and complicated most of the time for me to worry about stuff like this. [It doesn't help that I am doing with the Court of Protection as a deputy for my Mum who has Alzheimer's and I am trying to balance her books for their annual report and I can't make the numbers fit!] So right now I've just got no mind to want to do the same here etc. Let's up the stats as agreed and if necessary we can leave the rest of the HP to spend another day - I'm not really in the frame of mind to total up points and look at shopping lists, to be honest, and at least this way we can get on with the next chapter.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Mar 28 2021, 22:41

You can already do an Earth Blast with Earth Control but if you wanted another one without disads then it would be 150 for the Base Cost.
You would be better off getting a different type of power at a cheaper price.

Here is a few, just listing their BC of x10 to purchase:

1. Electric or Flame Being 100 HP BC [provides defense against a specific kind of attack, has weakness against opposite kind of attack, causes damage to anyone who is touched or touches the character]
2. Omni-Arm 100 HP BC [shape your hands/arms into whatever you want - lobster claws, hammers, etc. Haunt has this]
3. Plant Control 100 HP BC [can use existing plants to attack foes]
4. Plant Growth 100 HP BC [can make plants grow] *Get both of these powers and carry lots of seeds on you and you can make plants grow to giant size and then use them to attack or restrain foes.
5. Shouting 100 HP BC [go for a dramatic monologue and everyone is 2 APs range who fails their roll most stop and listen.]
6. Sleep 100 HP BC [put people asleep for however many APs of power you have though they can make rolls to try to wake up every round]
7. Stretching 100 HP BC ** I would suggest this one as it allows you to make long distance hand to hand attacks such as ranged grappling or crushing maneuvers as well as punching. Obviously the Haunt has this. It has other hand to hand combat maneuvers that the Haunt hasn't really every used, such as Enhanced Grappling and Body Grappling. You could easily say that this is an extension of your Earth Control and that this is you getting an Earth Body and punching and kicking with extended Earth Arms and Legs.
8. Super Breath 100 HP BC [1 AP wide corridor of breath that does not take multi-attack penalties. For some weird reason the knockback caused by the power is considered killing attack though the person who uses it doesn't take HP reward penalties for this unless a foe dies as a result of the knockback.]

All other attack skills would cost 150+ HP to buy them.

If you want to save your points for next time I would suggest looking at:

1. Bomb 200 HP BC [you cause an explosion around you in the ground attacking everyone and everything. For a +1FC, you can control how big the area of the explosion is. For a -2 FC, you can reduce the damage by -2 AP for every AP past the first one. Hard power to use in my mind unless you get initiative, jump in the middle of the bad guys and let off a blast, doing damage to everyone in the AOE.]
2. Attraction/Repulsion 150 HP BC [attract or repel things and people towards you or away from you. Go way to pull someone out of range into your hand combat range or push them away if they are too tough. And if our GM allowed it, could use it to pull someone into you so fast that it basically becomes knockback damage into your force shield]
3. Flame Project 150 HP BC [call it a lava blast, a super hot earth blast]
4. Gravity Increase 200 HP BC [using pseudo-mad scientist comic book reasoning, you are increasing the density of the earth under the person thereby increasing gravity. Actually, you could use this same reasoning for Attraction/Repulsion] study flower

Sorry to hear about your mom. My step-dad went through that as well and my younger sister handled all of that with a bit of help from my two younger brothers. I managed to see him just hours before he died. Hadn't seen my family in years due to the cost of traveling across the continent and not having much vacation time accrued due to medical issues.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Mar 29 2021, 12:40

DavidMcMahon wrote:You can already do an Earth Blast with Earth Control but if you wanted another one without disads then it would be 150 for the Base Cost.
You would be better off getting a different type of power at a cheaper price.

Here is a few, just listing their BC of x10 to purchase:

1. Electric or Flame Being 100 HP BC [provides defense against a specific kind of attack, has weakness against opposite kind of attack, causes damage to anyone who is touched or touches the character]
2. Omni-Arm 100 HP BC [shape your hands/arms into whatever you want - lobster claws, hammers, etc.  Haunt has this]
3. Plant Control 100 HP BC [can use existing plants to attack foes]
4. Plant Growth 100 HP BC [can make plants grow]   *Get both of these powers and carry lots of seeds on you and you can make plants grow to giant size and then use them to attack or restrain foes.
5. Shouting 100 HP BC [go for a dramatic monologue and everyone is 2 APs range who fails their roll most stop and listen.]
6. Sleep  100 HP BC [put people asleep for however many APs of power you have though they can make rolls to try to wake up every round]
7. Stretching 100 HP BC  **  I would suggest this one as it allows you to make long distance hand to hand attacks such as ranged grappling or crushing maneuvers as well as punching.  Obviously the Haunt has this.  It has other hand to hand combat maneuvers that the Haunt hasn't really every used, such as Enhanced Grappling and Body Grappling.  You could easily say that this is an extension of your Earth Control and that this is you getting an Earth Body and punching and kicking with extended Earth Arms and Legs.
8. Super Breath 100 HP BC [1 AP wide corridor of breath that does not take multi-attack penalties.  For some weird reason the knockback caused by the power is considered killing attack though the person who uses it doesn't take HP reward penalties for this unless a foe dies as a result of the knockback.]

All other attack skills would cost 150+ HP to buy them.

If you want to save your points for next time I would suggest looking at:

1. Bomb 200 HP BC [you cause an explosion around you in the ground attacking everyone and everything.  For a +1FC, you can control how big the area of the explosion is.  For a -2 FC, you can reduce the damage by -2 AP for every AP past the first one.   Hard power to use in my mind unless you get initiative, jump in the middle of the bad guys and let off a blast, doing damage to everyone in the AOE.]
2. Attraction/Repulsion 150 HP BC [attract or repel things and people towards you or away from you.  Go way to pull someone out of range into your hand combat range or push them away if they are too tough.  And if our GM allowed it, could use it to pull someone into you so fast that it basically becomes knockback damage into your force shield]
3. Flame Project 150 HP BC [call it a lava blast, a super hot earth blast]
4. Gravity Increase 200 HP BC [using pseudo-mad scientist comic book reasoning, you are increasing the density of the earth under the person thereby increasing gravity.  Actually, you could use this same reasoning for Attraction/Repulsion]   study    flower

Sorry to hear about your mom.  My step-dad went through that as well and my younger sister handled all of that with a bit of help from my two younger brothers.  I managed to see him just hours before he died.  Hadn't seen my family in years due to the cost of travelling across the continent and not having much vacation time accrued due to medical issues.

Wow Dave thanks for this, these are some great ideas. I appreciate the hard work you put into this and also your thoughts re my Mum. I was tired last night and I'd not normally have written about it but was just struggling with the idea of having to make another choice! Sometimes I find all this stuff just hard to get my head around, it's not that I'm not conversant with it, it's just available bandwidth to make a sensible decision that I won't end up regretting later because it doesn't work out well.

Anyway, I like some of the ideas here, I think if we can figure out a way to do an energy type attack with earth, that would be great. I was looking at my character sheet and nowhere under energy shield does it talk about it being offensive, just defensive. But I've not looked in the power description. I must try and remember to do that sometime. Love the idea of dig, and attract and repel, both being ways of using the earth to grab or push or like a wave roll them in or out etc.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 30 2021, 20:58

OOC I would suggest hanging onto the points Dave. Once you get another stash you can pay off some of the drawbacks or go crazy with across the board improvements. Another bonus is that you won't be caught short for hero points.

Probably the best thing to do is think about what kind of hero you want Steeplejack to be. I thought of him as an agile brick with a secondary power of controlling naturally ocurring rocks, soil and earth. Adding something like energy blast turns him into something else, and he can use Earth Control to (sort of) fly on a hunk of muck. For effective uses of the power I'd suggest looking up Terra from the new Teen Titans. The comic book projected her as quite the popwerhouse but I think Steeplejack's main shtick is his astonishing agility and fighting skills plus (now) his vast superhuman strength. He's not far now behind Haunt in that respect yet when they started adventuring together they were quite some distance apart in terms of power.

Your call. I'm aware you aren't conversant with the rules in the way me and David are so I'd just like to reassure you that tweaks and changes are fine as far as I'm concerned. If you have stuff on your character sheet that you never used and probably never will (hello gadgetry) then you can take those points and spend them at the initial lower character creation cost instead of the much higher improvement costs once gaming has started. That goes for everyone. We are more about the roleplay than rules and hamstringing a character because of choices made years ago that turn out to be ineffective isn't my idea of fun.

Anyway, if you need more help, suggestions or ideas let us know but otherwise I'll start cooking up the new issue. I also have Haunt to update and David M if you can check that over for iffy bits and let me know if its ok that would be appreciated.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Mar 30 2021, 21:33

Admin wrote:OOC I would suggest hanging onto the points Dave. Once you get another stash you can pay off some of the drawbacks or go crazy with across the board improvements. Another bonus is that you won't be caught short for hero points.

Probably the best thing to do is think about what kind of hero you want Steeplejack to be. I thought of him as an agile brick with a secondary power of controlling naturally ocurring rocks, soil and earth. Adding something like energy blast turns him into something else, and he can use Earth Control to (sort of) fly on a hunk of muck. For effective uses of the power I'd suggest looking up Terra from the new Teen Titans. The comic book projected her as quite the popwerhouse but I think Steeplejack's main shtick is his astonishing agility and fighting skills plus (now) his vast superhuman strength. He's not far now behind Haunt in that respect yet when they started adventuring together they were quite some distance apart in terms of power.

Your call. I'm aware you aren't conversant with the rules in the way me and David are so I'd just like to reassure you that tweaks and changes are fine as far as I'm concerned. If you have stuff on your character sheet that you never used and probably never will (hello gadgetry) then you can take those points and spend them at the initial lower character creation cost instead of the much higher improvement costs once gaming has started. That goes for everyone. We are more about the roleplay than rules and hamstringing a character because of choices made years ago that turn out to be ineffective isn't my idea of fun.

Anyway, if you need more help, suggestions or ideas let us know but otherwise I'll start cooking up the new issue. I also have Haunt to update and David M if you can check that over for iffy bits and let me know if it's ok that would be appreciated.

Brilliant thanks Paul, ok so let's improve those pesky stats so I am not a walkover with magic and leave the rest (including the detective skill) for now. If I've got time to think about things I will do. Originally I wanted Steeplejack to be a kind of down to earth (literally) northern, working man version of Spiderman. Hence the line swinger and wall-crawling only tied to earth powers to make him related to the trade his dad had when he first discovered the goo that changed him.

But you make a good point about Sj evolving beyond those simple parameters and growing up a bit. I think the agility and speed do make for an effective combination with the earth type powers so going down that route might be more in keeping with his current trajectory.

Anyway so we've got enough to think about and I can mull over things. I've got some time off in just over a weeks time, I've uploaded the rules onto my tablet so I can now read it anywhere which gives me a better chance to go over the powers list again and give it some more thought.

Thanks

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 31 2021, 22:10

OOC gah had the jab today (oxford) and didn't think much of it but eyes have been streaming all afternoon, I have a swollen belly, no appetite and been gobbling ibuprofen to fend off headaches. I thought it was much ado about nothing but seems like there really are side effects.

Anyway, first Haunt:

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 10 Haunt-March-2021

Dex to 11 with linked powers improving, HP39 remaining
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Mar 31 2021, 22:40

OOC gah had the jab today (oxford) and didn't think much of it but eyes have been streaming all afternoon, I have a swollen belly, no appetite and been gobbling ibuprofen to fend off headaches. I thought it was much ado about nothing but seems like there really are side effects.

ooc: Wow! I got my first dose last Friday. Other then some general exhaustion over the weekend, no bad side effects. You should make sure you are not allergic to the other material used as a base for the vaccine. It may be you shouldn't take it. I've heard from a couple of people that have gotten the second dose that the side effects of the second dose it worse then the first dose. My doctor can't take the first two vaccines offered because he is allergic to PEG [polyethylene glycol or something close to that.]. He tells me that that is the stuff you usually drink when you are going to have a colonoscopy, the stuff to clean out your bowels. And that's part of the base material of the vaccines. Check on that with your doctor and the other ingredients to make sure you are not having an allergic reaction.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 31 2021, 22:52

OOC Just can't see very well and headache. Should be fine with some sleep hopefully. Germany have banned this version of the vaccine again. i think the risks are minimal but the side effects seem to be total pot luck, some have them some don't and said to be worse if you have had covid. As far as I know I haven't but... who knows. We'll see. I need to hit the sack, my eyes are really sore...

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! - Page 10 Steep-march-21

Raised influence to 8 (higher initiative, harder to hit with magic, better to convince people with) and Spirit to 7 (harder to damage with magic, can take slightly more of a beating before he goes down) 294HP remaining. I let the computer program figure out the cost because I can't see very well and the headache is coming on again but will check in the morning.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 31 2021, 22:54

OOC Checked it, 70Hp to raise Influence, 60Hp for spirit so it's right. Have to post this way as every time I try editing a post it spits out a 'you just posted this recently' - yeah and I want to edit it. Oh never mind. Shocked I'm happy we don't have any (or at least many) of the issues we had when we first started out.

New issue coming up in next day. Assuming I can see properly. Shocked
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Apr 01 2021, 09:01

Admin wrote:OOC Checked it, 70Hp to raise Influence, 60Hp for spirit so it's right. Have to post this way as every time I try editing a post it spits out a 'you just posted this recently' - yeah and I want to edit it. Oh never mind. Shocked I'm happy we don't have any (or at least many) of the issues we had when we first started out.

New issue coming up in next day. Assuming I can see properly. Shocked

Ah, Paul so sorry to hear you'd been so adversely affected. I had the Phizer jab and only had a sore arm. I got mine early as I'm considered a frontline worker in the work I do at the Hospital (even though I am only part-time) still it means I keep others safe, I'm happy to have it. Hope you feel better, for most people (I know who've had a reaction) the side effects don't last more than 36 hours - so I hope you woke up feeling better.

Thanks for this

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 07 2021, 00:02

OOC thanks for your patience guys. A mixture of work, health, kids, girlfriend and more work have clobbered me but *should* be alright hopefully for the rest of the week if I'm not called into work. Fingers crossed. Took a few days to get over the covid jab thing. Hopefully the next one won't be as nasty!

new issue up!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10