The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Vanguard! Miss Victory issue #3 Enter... NEXUS! guest Starring Lionheart!

3 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The New Vanguard! Miss Victory issue #3 Enter... NEXUS! guest Starring Lionheart! - Page 4 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Miss Victory issue #3 Enter... NEXUS! guest Starring Lionheart!

Post  Admin Sun Aug 16 2020, 22:39

OOC Attempt to get some mental abilities...

Int 8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 7,11,+0 Total:18 (26) vs
OV8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 6,1,+0 Total:7 (15)
+5 (to 13) vs Rv8=5 RAPs.

Miss Victory poured mental energy into telekinesis... budging the woman backwards!

A few feet. Then she stopped, hovering in the air. Miss Victory threw all she had at it... and whatever she was using to float off the floor resisted it!

OOC Effectively she's using her Flight 17 vs TK 5, or 5APs of it anyway.

Lupus roared "RRAAAAGGGGHHHH!!" and leapt at her, slashing like a wild animal!

OOC CRIT BLOW Lupus AV12 + 4D M Arts + Roll(6d12)+0: 3,8,7,8,10,10,+0 Total:20 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 7,4,+0 Total:31 (43) vs
OV17 + 2D Acro + 4 Crit Blow + Roll(4d12)+0: 12,6,8,12,+0 Total:24 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 1,6,+0 Total:31 (52) Attack Missed

The woman, floating in the middle of the corridor, weaved back and to the side as the furry teenager slashed and cut with his claws but hit only air!

OOC No point rolling initiative. Lionheart first, Suprema, then Miss Victory and Lupus.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The New Vanguard! Miss Victory issue #3 Enter... NEXUS! guest Starring Lionheart! - Page 4 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Miss Victory issue #3 Enter... NEXUS! guest Starring Lionheart!

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Aug 17 2020, 14:02

ooc: Figures someone with a name like Suprema would have flight. alien
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Aug 17 2020, 14:27

Admin wrote:OOC No point rolling initiative. Lionheart first, Suprema, then Miss Victory and Lupus.[/color]

Lionheart without his mental powers to fight the woman had to go hand to hand which in this case he had to wonder if it was his best move. But sometimes even the strongest have a weak point, he had to just find it.

OOC: OK going at it with Martial arts 3/2 split with Devastating attack being my main means of trying to make a dent in this girl. However, if there is a way to get around her, scoop up Obsidion and get to the control room - ugh who put this control room amongst the worst of the worst and made it so hard to get to them when things went kaput...I know Wandafar! Rolling Eyes Anyway if we can get past these guys and skip the bruising fight that is probably coming I'd love to. I've got a feeling we're going to mee the big bads one way or another though. But hey, I like to try and think outside of the box...try!

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Aug 17 2020, 21:21

OOC The control room is a floor down! You'll have to get ACROSS this whole level somehow to get to the stairs...

Lionheart attacks...Suprema is soooo confident she doesn't even bother dodging (adding acrobatics)

DEV ATTACK Dex 25 + 3D M Arts + Roll(5d12)+0: 6,5,4,6,7,+0 Total:12 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 2,7,+0 Total:21 (46) vs
OV17 + 8 Dev Att + Roll(2d12)+0: 3,7,+0 Total:10 (35)
+5 (to 18) vs RV28 - 12 D Att so 16RV=2 RAPs. SUPREMA ON 18/20 BODY

"Huh." said Suprema, rubbing her jaw. "You're fast, but you punch like a girl!"

Lionheart blinked. He was an all rounder and his speed was his main thing... but against this ... 'brute' of a woman he was a 90lb weakling!

Suprema flexed her fists and swung back at Lionheart!

OOC Dex 17 + 4D M Arts + Roll(6d12)+0: 7,11,4,5,10,1,+0 Total:21 (38) vs
OV25 + 2D Acro + Roll(4d12)+0: 5,9,1,6,+0 Total:15 (40) Attack Missed!

Lionheart ducks - just - and knows he's probably on the wrong end of a hiding! He could pour his power into his strength but that would leave him vulnerable to her lightning fast reflexes!

"You're quick but I bet I can tag you!" laughs the woman who was clearly enjoying herself. "I hope you don't go down too quick! Nemesis is a hard nut to crack but one on one he's actually weaker... not a lot of people know that so don't spread the word!"

She turned to Miss Victory. "What about you sweet cheeks? Ready for a bruising?"

OOC Miss V is up then Lupus...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Aug 17 2020, 21:45

Miss Victory swallows one of her remaining 5 Vita Pills. Shifts the powers so she has 23 Body and 16 Dex. Then she attempts Mind Blast. The thing has serious burn out but anyway to push it to do an attack with it that does more damage or get past her defenses higher? I figure one shot is all she is going to be able to do.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Aug 17 2020, 21:54

DavidMcMahon wrote:Miss Victory swallows one of her remaining 5 Vita Pills.  Shifts the powers so she has 23 Body and 16 Dex.  Then she attempts Mind Blast.  The thing has serious burn out but anyway to push it to do an attack with it that does more damage or get past her defenses higher?  I figure one shot is all she is going to be able to do.

OOC: When my turn comes around again since I can really only either push strength or Martial arts and use my speed, I prefer speed. If I get tagged by this girl and I've got lots of strength ain't going to do much to stop me getting pasted, so it's going to have to be endurance v power and keeping going with Martial arts 3/2 let's hope she hasn't get regeneration.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Aug 18 2020, 09:05

OOC David, Mind Blast won't do it. You need a staggering high roll to get the RAPs you need. The powers you can call on from Mind Maiden are the MAXIMUM limits possible. In reality you would need to hope for a crazy swing of the dice and go for broke like crazy to get anywhere near Mind Maidens power limits (she has 18 Mind Blast which would be useful but the most you've ever used with the powers is 6RAPs as I recall.) You may be able to 'fix' that with a new power or similar, or some gadget that boosts your brain (there's an idea). Right now your best bet (I would say) is keeping the villainess pinned or slowed down so Lionheart can pound her into the floor. Or vice versa. Basically I'm saying don't waste your dice action on getting a puny weak power that won't even scratch this ladies' Mind stat.

I wasn't joking when I said she could pummel Superman. She'd batter him in 1-2 rounds. Even Doomsday took longer than that. Physically she's more in line with 1e Pre Crisis characters. She's Class 4-5 all day long!

Want to change the action or going with the mind zap? Another option might be Charisma and Persuasion.

Here's the original working of Mind Maidens powers...

Admin wrote:OOC How this is going to work is that Miss Victory will effectively 'attack her own mind'. Any raps she gains are the number of APs of power that Mind Maiden can apply AND the number of rounds. Apply more power? The remainder is the number of rounds she can interact.

So let's say you get a great roll and 6RAPs

Mind Maiden can use 4APs of her powers for 2 rounds, or 5 APs for 1 round. If you managed some craxy roll or tried to go for broke, you can manage enough to unleash her full mind powers.

Beware, for your mind will fight back! If you fail to overcome your own mind (0APs or less scored) your mind will attack you back in turn with any RAPs scored being inflicted as Mind Damage!

The New Vanguard! Miss Victory issue #3 Enter... NEXUS! guest Starring Lionheart! - Page 4 Mind-Maiden-powers
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Aug 18 2020, 12:06

OK, let's try persuading her to let us by or even join us.  Let's see if I can write something persuadable.  Still maxing out BODY to 23 and the rest of the points into DEX.

"Suprema, do you like being a lackey to aliens," Miss Victory says, trying to stop a fight that they may not win.  "Not a tool for whoever is boss on this floor but a tool of the aliens who have invaded our planet, the Advent.  You remember them don't you?  This whole prison break thing is their plan to get more super-powered people killed, heroes and villains alike."

"Let's do a quick review shall we?  Over a year ago, giant monsters, who were normal humans turned into those monsters somehow, attacked all the major capitols and cities of the world.  And they all appeared at the same time.  Only after those poor monsters had destroyed most of the cities they were in or were destroyed themselves along with many of the world's supers, did the Advent HAPPEN to just appear AT THE RIGHT TIME and only they HAD THE ABILITY TO TAKE OUT ALL THOSE MONSTERS AT THE SAME TIME.  ALL MONSTERS WHO HAD DIFFERENT POWERS AND ABILITIES.  Coincidence?  You are smarter than that."

"Now this prison break.  It didn't happen in a vacuum.  At the same time it happened, emergencies all over the world occurred pulling the remaining most powerful supers away to handle those emergencies.  Emergencies that the Advent had a hand in making happen.  Emergencies that may cripple or kill more of the remaining supers - heroes and villains alike.  This wasn't the plan of one of the would-be world conquerors held here, this was a plan by the Advent.  Once more of the supers are killed or crippled, the Advent can stop playing the nice Galactic Good Samaritan and show their true faces as Dictators of the World."

"And you are helping them by preventing us from getting down to the main control room and restoring power and control over this prison.  I will make you the same offer I made others, help us or even just go back to your cell and wait.  If you do either, when I get out of here, I will use my influence with certain people to have your case reviewed.  Depending on your actions that may mean a reduced sentence.  Or a different and hopefully better place to serve out your time.  Or .. maybe even a pardon for your crimes if you help us restore power and peace over this facility."

"While I'm mostly unknown as a hero, I do have secret Identity influence.  I can't guarantee anything but I do give you my word to do right by you if you do right by us.  And if I fail to do anything to make your life better then I will come and tell you face to face just so you can look me in the eye and know I really tried."

"Join us or just go back to your cell or messhall and let us continue on."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Aug 19 2020, 10:35

OOC Nice speech. That makes things easier. You'll still need to Go for broke though...

Infl 8 + 4D Charisma + Roll(6d12)+0: 4,9,4,7,7,11,+0 Total:14 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 10,1,+0 Total:25 (33) vs
OV8 + Hostile ish (+4 instead of +6) + Go for Broke 8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 1,8,+0 Total:9 (29)
+3 (to 9) vs RV12 - 12 GFB so 0RV + hostile ish 4 so RV4=5 RAPs

The woman frowns. "I don't know who this ... ADVENT is... but your words have a ring of truth about them. Why aren't the Ultrahumans here to shut us down? This place turned into the wild west a day and a half ago and the big bads in the level below have been awfully quiet."

"Worst of all, Nexus. To look at he's some ordinary guy, nothing special. HA! Those of who know, know. I'm one of the strongest there is, but to him? I'm a gnat. Just one good hit on him and this whole place will be nothing more than a ruin. If any of us are still alive after HE kicks off then we'd do best to head for the hills. When Silver Sentinel and his band o chumps shut him down the world thought it was safe. They don't know the half of it. That guy exists in EVERY dimension, EVERYWHERE and just cause this one is all locked up don't mean we're safe. So long as they keep that glove of his away, we should be fine."

Lionheart coughed and mentioned that it was stolen, retrieved, then stolen again and was possibly on its way here.

Suddenly Surprema looked scared. She glanced about. "No! NO!" She grabbed Miss Victory and despite the heroines' invulnerability she knew a punch from this woman would overwhelm her defences! "Ok... ok... don't panic. We have to get out of here, far away. I'll... help you, yes, I'll help. I'll ask some of the others to as well. This ADVENT sound like they are behind everything! If Nexus gets free he'll mop the floor with them too! Unless they have a plan... oh god... the world is going to end unless we do something about it!"

Lupus glanced about. "Uh, really? I mean, this guy can't be ALL that... can he?"

Miss Victory glanced at Lionheart. They didn't know how powerful Nexus was, but if this woman - who like Nemesis could probably beat all of them on her own - was petrified then maybe it was time to take note!

Superema rung her hands and gathered herself. "Ok. Ok. Come with me. We need to sort something out."

She started to walk off down the corridor. Might this be... a trap?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Aug 19 2020, 10:44

"In for a penny, in for a pound," she asks Lionheart with a nod to Suprema.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Aug 19 2020, 19:19

DavidMcMahon wrote:"In for a penny, in for a pound," she asks Lionheart with a nod to Suprema.

"With you all the way, Miss V, let on. "

Lionheart picked up the comatose Obsidion, hoping that his injuries weren't too severe despite the solid beating he'd been given. He nodded approvingly to Miss Victory as she leads off following Suprema down the corridor.

OOC: I'll see if I can focus my danger senses and others to listen in to what is going around. If we do head into a trap I'd like to have some idea it's coming, not that there is much chance of stopping it if it happens but let's try not to be caught out too badly.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Aug 19 2020, 20:59

Miss Victory will try to put up her Mind Shield. Maybe it will work this time. Embarassed
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Aug 19 2020, 23:31

OOC When you use the powers they don't last long and are very weak. It's something you may be able to develop over time, maybe with some kind of device that boosts Miss V's Int/Will specifically when trying to summon the Mind Powers. You can try anyway... Basically it's roll vs roll.

Miss V Roll(2d12)+0: 1,10,+0 Total:11
Powers Roll(2d12)+0: 11,4,+0 Total:15 Nope...

Suprema led the way along the corridor. As they walked the group noticed there were far less doors and cells on this level than had been on the other levels.

She seemed to be fretting, somewhat different from her earlier demeanour.

What appeared to be a floating ball of green and blue energy with trails of energy circling it. It didn't look like a human at all.

"Energon. I found these people entering the level. I don't know where Nemesis is and I don't care! There's something going on. Some... Aliens have taken over the world and all of this, the power going down, the inmates escaping... is all part of some plan to free Nexus!" she explained, at speed.

The energy ball pulsed and glowed and Suprema shook her head. "It's not a trick. This one..." he said referring to Miss V "Is a super HERO. A good guy. She's stuck in here with the rest of us. They want to turn the power back on to depower us. I don't want that... but I don't want Nexus powered up either!"

The ball pulsed and wavered. Then it glowed and shimmered again.

Suprema breathed out. "He says to take you to the mess hall on this level and tell the others. He's going to watch the level doorway and found out what happened to Nemesis."

The energy ball floated away at about waist height back to the entrance to the level.

"This way." said Suprema.

OOC more tomorrow. I'm absolutely cream crackered (just got in from work)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Aug 20 2020, 08:01

The group (with Lionheart telekinetically carrying Obdisian) stopped outside a door that said "Mess Hall level 7"

Knocking, Suprema stuck her head in. "Guys? We have a situation you should know about."

Leading them in they saw tables arranged in a line at the top of the room with people sat at them, eight in all. Chairs were arranged before the long table line and it was clear this was some kind of meeting or court style room. Though there were far less people on this level - certainly less than fifty maybe as few as 25 - they needed some kind of boundaries and law setting and here it was set. There were three women three men and two ... others. One of the others was a brute, far too big for chairs and scaled like a lizard. He stood leaning against a wall. Another appeared to be a glowing yellow cloud of energy.

The rest wore prison orange. Lionheart had heard of the superhuman classification from 1-5 that the British government and metahuman resources groups used but he realised now it was too narrow. This place had shown him the scale needed to be much wider! Whereby on a British level he was a high 4 low 5 this prison had shown he was probably only halfway down a power list. Nemesis on his own had only just been beaten by the group and Suprema could maybe shrug off most of Lionhearts blows until she tagged him and it wouldn't need many of those. The people... or things ... in this room were of a scale he'd not encountered before and put into perspective his own abilities.

Those few on level 8, below, were greater in power even than these.

"I am Archimedes Solomon. My 'Professional' name was Emperor Energy." said a man in his fifties. "To be fair to me I was a mere youth when I chose the title but it stuck. I control energy. I shall serve as chairperson for this meeting."

Suddenly a woman appeared in prison orange stood next to the group. She'd been moving so fast and without a sound that even Lionheart with his great speed hadn't noticed her.

"They are alone. Nemesis is unconscious. Energon is guarding the doorway." she was a pretty woman though her eyes were hard and the set of her mouth was a thin line. Angry. Always angry it seemed.

"Thank you...Velocity..." Emperor Energy said to an empty space. She'd gone.

"You'd never have gotten through this level undetected. She moves so fast she breaks most of the laws of time and space. She can time travel, and create a number of duplicate selves, or would be able to if she could be free of this place. As it is, she's too fast to mess with."

Lionheart blinked. It was the same as if a normal person had watched HIM move. Now he knew what it felt like.

Miss Victory looked about. Tough crowd. A mix of late twenties to early sixties, all powers in their own right and each one probably capable of defeating their small group. They really were in the big leagues here. It seemed unfeasible that ADVENT should be able to defeat these people - they were elemental, almost forces of nature. And yet whatever plan ADVENT had involved setting them free. It was in motion, it was happening now whilst they triggered disasters and calamities around the world for the Ultrahumans and other powerful groups to deal with.

"So, who speaks first?" asked the Emperor. "Oh... Hexxa, would you mind?"

A woman in her forties who looked bored and slumped back in her chair waved her hand.

Obsidian gasped then woke up, looking about. He saw Suprema and said "Gaaahhhhh!" falling back onto his butt on the floor.

Suprema said "Relax. There are bigger fish to fry here."

"As I was saying, you have a few minutes to persuade us not to eject you from our level, then we shall, as they say 'get to it'." said Emperor Energy.

One of the men spoke up. Balding, slight, he looked like an accountant. "One of them has mental shields but they present no problem. If you want to know what's inside their heads let me know."

"We'll hold off for now Mr Psyche." smiled the Emperor.

All of these must have been in jail for some time. Their power was incredible. The speedster operated on a level Lionheart couldn't even dream of. And yet he'd not heard of this lot. They were a well kept secret. The US Government didn't want everyone to know about the sheer power and scale of the metahumans operating in its country.

Miss Victory looked about the table. Each of these people could inflict more damage - in their own way - than a nuclear weapon.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Aug 20 2020, 10:21

Miss Victory basically repeats what she told Suprema, but a bit more politely, and seeing the age of the group and the apparent lack of news, she figures it must be some kind of authorized news blackout, goes over the history of the world for the last few years and the things she knows that the Advent has done as well as what she suspects has been done by them and any "Underground News" she has picked up via Internet and Shortwave Radio [something that I understand is very hard to block, though tracing where it's coming from is a bit easier]. 

She goes over the bits and pieces of "old news" that was on the Internet by some American hero in Britain, over a year ago when the Advent first appeared, that was filled with warnings early on and his disappearance.  She mentions which countries are left still free, the rest already bending knee to the Advent.  [Is that just America, Britain, Canada and Australia?]

She looks to Lionheart to fill in the gaps and provide his prospective on the information she provides.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Aug 20 2020, 22:11

OOC I'd have to check (it's been a while) but most of Europe has 'bent the knee', China, and much of Asia. Russia is still independent but still a mess after the giant monster attack. America, Britain, Australia, New Zealand and a few other smaller nations (or at least lower populations) are beneath Advents notice. The countries who allied with ADVENT have found their economies, technology and healthcare improve. Life seems good.

Seems.

I'll wait and see what Dave has to contribute before responding.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Aug 21 2020, 15:22

Admin wrote:OOC I'd have to check (it's been a while) but most of Europe has 'bent the knee', China, and much of Asia. Russia is still independent but still a mess after the giant monster attack. America, Britain, Australia, New Zealand and a few other smaller nations (or at least lower populations) are beneath Advents notice. The countries who allied with ADVENT have found their economies, technology and healthcare improve. Life seems good.

Seems.

I'll wait and see what Dave has to contribute before responding.

OOC: ugh for some reason I am not getting updates to this thread, so again missed that you guys were talking and came late...sorry

Lionheart looked about, "I guess most of you have designs and hopes of getting out of here someday? Yet whoever Advent are and whatever they are up to they must have studied us and brought to bear their technological savvy, to do what Miss V has talked about. Now they've got some of the most powerful beings running around like little lap dogs, all the while not only knowing of this place but also of your presence here. Doesn't that make you a little bit curious? I guess you all have hopes of getting out of here one day. And yet I guess till now none of you have moved one step toward? And yet this off-world collective not only know of you but then find a way to cause this place to shut down? Something, so far, none of you collectively or individually have ever done? I know you are all-powerful in your own right but think about this? We're talking about a technologically superior race who have bested the defences that kept you locked up - only to turn you loose on what they are seeking to claim as their own. So far their resume is looking impressive. Wouldn't it be foolish to underestimate them? Surely they wouldn't be doing this unless they were so sure that the one thing you could deliver to themselves is by using you as their weapon of choice? How does it feel to be manipulated? But you know the one thing they couldn't take account of? The one thing they couldn't manipulate you into doing nor see coming is that you actually come together rather than fight alone. I say this because I think this is in your own best interests. Like the mages above you might go off-world, or slip sideways into another dimension, but it will always be knowing you've been bested, had to move on, not wanted or chose. And if you ever got homesick, what would you be coming back to? You might be above other people's petty concerns, but you have to say the weight of evidence suggests we are all facing a dark future - in which our last best hope might be to see our common enemy as a common threat to us all."

Lionheart was no speechmaker and yet like Frostbite he found himself front and centre making...speeches. He spoke from the heart as he saw it, not knowing if simply being honest and somewhat bold was going to carry weight. It was evident that they had little else they could bring that could. If there was something that had value, it was the truth...for that alone will win out in the end. The truth of Advents plans, the truth of what would happen next, there was an inevitability to this plan except in the ways that this alien collective might have underestimated these villains. If they were not to side with them, then Advent would win - it was a numbers game it seemed or if they lost it would be at a high price to humanity let alone our world.

It seemed that the last best power they had, was the power of the truth, but what is the truth to these 'people' if the intelligence that guided them was or saw other ways to use this and they stuck to their own plans? Well, Lionheart had gotten this far by sticking to what he knew best, now...now once again his future and that of the world was oddly in the hands of these misfits. Somehow the irony made him want to smile, but he suppressed it not wanting to give offence as he waited...

OOC: Phew, best shot...

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Aug 22 2020, 09:41

The 'council' pondered. "We cannot speak for everyone on this level." said a woman.

A bearded fellow added "But those we do speak for are ... considerable... in power and ability. We are less powerful than the 'Gods' on level 8 but far more numerous.

"I for one do not like the thought of being ANYONES' puppet." said Emperor Energy. "There must be something in this for us. We are in here not because of some petty crime or other, but because we are leaders. We seek to rule, to make those lives under us better, by installing our law, order and vision and not that of corrupt governments or despots."

The fellow had a somewhat skewed idea of what life would be like under his 'my way or the highway' rule.

"We are in here though. Our plans, our dreams... indeed some just want to retire in peace and feel the sun on our faces. There must be something in this for us. We could stay in here, safe, whilst the world burns. Some of us have the power to rebuild the world, eh?"

A man with a distinct green tinge on his skin and his hair grunted. "I, FATHER NATURE abhor the rape of the land and seas. If it were up to me I would see the world burn then use my power to raise up new forests, grasslands, clean the oceans, restore the life and natural order that mankind has destroyed."

"Hippy." grunted a man to his right. Father Nature snarled but the man shrugged. "Your power makes you powerful indeed, Nature, but up close and personal? Don't push me. You will fail."

"Enough Executor. Some questioned your role on this panel, including me. Your temperament is questionable though your fighting ability is not in doubt. What say you to this pair's suggestion?"

The man known as Executor leaned back, thick muscled arms folded. He gazed over the group. Lionheart felt like a fight with this man would go only one way. Miss Victory felt him undressing her with his eyes. He raised an eyebrow at Lupus. "You have potential boy, but you need to release the beast." Lupus looked away, embarrassed.

"For what it's worth, my 2 cents. We let this lot go down a level. The 'gods' on level 8 will decide their fate. They must have brawled through every level to get down here. If they can get the doors open to this place? We owe them."

"Now hold on a minute!" said a woman, silver hair tied back and dark energy flashing in her eyes.

"Be quiet Night Queen. We may be sleeping together but that doesn't mean we agree on everything." said Executor. "I'm a bad guy. I kill superheroes, presidents, you name it. Someone paid me to take on Silver Sentinel, I lost and I'm in here. Gave it a good shot though. If he didn't heal he'd have scars." he grinned. Then he leaned forward, elbows on the table. "Here's the deal. You get us out of here. Do anything you can, however you can to do it. You do that, and I'll take on a new contract. I'll take down ADVENT. I love a challenge. That pussy Sentinel had his buddies backing him up when I struck but ADVENT won't know what's hit em." he leaned back. "I say we ALL do it. This lot get us out somehow and we owe 'em. Or stay and rot in here. When they turn on the power sappers you'll be wishing you went for this."

Night Queen scowled at her sometime lover and leaned back. The others pondered.

One woman, middle aged but still attractive spoke up. "The pair of you." she said. "Are HOST to another." She looked at Lionheart and Miss Victory. "What say ... Night Queen and I free those other selves for you?"

"Host?" asked Night Queen. "What are you...?"

Host turned back to the pair. "I'm interested. Call it ... curiosity."

Night Queen frowned. "I suppose I could..."

Host added "You need only raise one. The other is an amalgam. I can sort that one."

Emperor Energy huffed. "Enough of games! We have something to think about. Suprema, if you will please my dear, take this group to get some food. See to Obsidian if he's injured." he stood and looked about. "Whoever and whatever else you are, if you can help in freeing us from this place, you are not our enemy. This day. Another day? Who can say? However as... Executor has stated... there is a kind of ... honour amongst thieves. I for one would consider myself indebted if you can release us. I cannot say that I would fight ADVENT. Since I was a teenager I have fought and I tire of endless battle, of struggle. I would raise an island from the ocean and craft it to my liking. A kingdom far away from the pettiness of man. My friend Father Nature would bring it to life, and I would enjoy a gin and tonic on a porch watching the sun set."

Executor snorted, stifling a laugh then held his hands up to stifle an angry retort. "Hey, each to their own. I'm a warrior. I ain't ready to hang up my blades."

The others looked troubled with their thoughts. Host watched the heroes with a raised eyebrow, Night Queen scowled.

"Go. Eat. Wait. We won't be long." said a man who'd not spoken yet. He waved a hand in dismissal.

=========

Suprema admitted "That could have gone worse."

She led the way through corridors to a room where people sat eating. Each person in this room, about a dozen or so, was 'off the scale' of power measurement that Lionheart knew about. For Miss Victory, she was aware that the power level she enjoyed would be swept aside by these men and women, even what looked to be a small bald boy, though his eyes belied his great age. Some spoke quietly, others ate in silence alone.

Lupus muttered "For the first time since I got my powers, I'm scared. These people..." he shook his head, unable to find words.

"Well, what do you think of Executor's idea? You 'heroes' ready to climb into bed with the Devil?" asked Suprema.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Aug 22 2020, 20:02

Admin wrote:Lupus muttered "For the first time since I got my powers, I'm scared. These people..." he shook his head, unable to find words.

"Well, what do you think of Executor's idea? You 'heroes' ready to climb into bed with the Devil?" asked Suprema.

Lionheart was a lawman, but the law meant that the rules applied to all - no exceptions. If a law didn't work in the light of circumstances that at the laws framing weren't able to be taken into account then you had to reframe the law, not try and stuff people into the old way of thinking no matter what.

"For what its worth, I think this place was designed to put people away whom society just didn't know what to do with... but this has proven that this is not humane nor right. Some people like Lupus here are here for entirely the wrong reasons. Some have and do deserve to be here. But what about these people's families, what hope does society have of them being reformed if they are treated worse than we would animals? I know Miss V seems to have some influence and though I can't speak for the Ultrahumans, I think this has created one bad stink that will need a lot to clear it up. I for one hope this is too big to sweep under a carpet and a more humane, and just way of dealing with supers can be found. Just saying..."

He added, feeling anger and some heat rising as he thought about what was going on here. This was no better than Advent only aimed a small proportion of the population that needed something extra that prison didn't offer, but without the hope that serving a sentence which suggested having done your time, you could return to society.

He turned to Miss V, and Lupus, nodding for their opinion as he chomped down hard on his food, forgetting that he hadn't eaten much of anything for he knew not how long.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Aug 22 2020, 20:25

"Some of them certainly need to be in a place like this or executed," Miss Victory threw her two cents in. "I'm a big believer in capital punishment. Lots of people would be alive today if murderers had been executed the first time they were caught and sentenced. But ... others have been wrongly placed in here. There needs to be a strong review committee or something to try and determine what is proper punishment with hope of returning them to society as better people and what is just shoving a problem in a deep, dark hole and trying to forget it. There are good people down here. Here because their powers when they first manifested went out of control and people were harmed or even killed. How is someone who committed involuntary manslaughter found worthy enough to be placed here? It's just wrong!"

She eats at her food angrily and a bit afraid. She knows she is a beautiful woman and more so when she takes her Vita Pill but she wasn't always beautiful. The first process that increased her physical abilities to max human normal had increased her looks too. She hit her changes as best she could but some started to notice her new curves even with the bulky sweaters and baggy pants she wore and the looks they gave her ... of a predator, not an admiring man ... she was getting too many of those here as well. And it frightened her. She wouldn't have been afraid of those looks before but what she had gone through here had made her more aware of her limitations and how easily some of them could "take" her anytime they wanted. It was not a feeling any woman wanted to experience for real.

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Aug 22 2020, 23:22

A man in prison orange opened the door to the canteen and nodded to Suprema who turned, picking at whatever had been served up - it was tricky to tell what it was.

"They're ready. Obsidian will be alright, if a bit dazed. Sorry I attacked him. In this place some people think they can take what and who they like - men and women - when they want. It's not right, but I overreacted. Nemesis will be fine too but he's an idiot. A powerful one but you've done what few others can do and beat him. They say it's like fighting a version of yourself." she shook her head. "What you say is right about some of us. We've been thrown in here because no jail can hold us. No trial, no parole. Just turn the powers off and get tested, DNA scraped, zapped by various rays whilst they figure out how our powers work... I guess somewhere is a government department tasked with replicating the powers in this place for rank and file soldiers. I don't know. Nobody does. They couldn't do anything to Nexus for fear of triggering his powers. Some of us can't be killed. Even by nuclear weapons. I get why they throw us down here, but ... there are prisoners little more than kids whose crime was to get super powers."

"If you're ready, we'll go."

OOC because you both put so much into the speeches to convince them I ditched the dice. I'm not ruining the effort you put in with a typically crappy dice roll.

Back in the 'Council' room the gathered men and women (and energy being) sat waiting as the group was led back in. Obsidian was there, unsteady on his feet having been revived.

"Sorry." said Suprema.

Obsidian scowled at first then grinned. "You can make it up to me!"

Suprema scowled... then shook her head and grinned. That was wiped when Emperor Energy called out "We'll have quiet please."

He turned to Lionheart and Miss Victory. "In a way you've done us a great service. We knew nothing of ADVENT or what was going on outside this place. Disturbing news. We shall continue to debate what to do but none of us relish being under the yoke of Alien overlords. They may fool the rank and file ordinary citizens and even governments but we deal in lies, untruths and deception and from what you say, they positively reek of it. A world frightened by the powers of superhuman beings will embrace Advents scientific 'solution' and doubtless the boost in technology and money in their pockets. Fools. When Advents' true purpose is revealed only then will they know the depth of their naivety. By then it will be too late."

He sighed then continued. "You two are super heroes. We have mentalists in this room and could rip all the secrets from your minds. We shall not. You will be given free passage through this level, and ... if you decide to accept it, a gift."

He turned and nodded, and the woman known as Husk spoke. "You, englishman, hold within you a different personality. He aches for release. I can grant him that release, but your power shall be halved. Your choice. Hand him his freedom and lose a portion of yourself or keep all the power you hold."

She turns to Night Queen. She speaks "There is a spirit floating about you. I can return her to life."

OOC Dave E don't panic too much... this game has a system where +1 point of a stat, power or skill is DOUBLE the previous amount. Think about that. Halving your power is actually -1AP to all abilities, not literally halving them...

David M as usual there may be a price to pay to bring Mind Maiden back...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Aug 23 2020, 00:00

She turns to Night Queen. She speaks "There is a spirit floating about you. I can return her to life."

OOC Dave E don't panic too much... this game has a system where +1 point of a stat, power or skill is DOUBLE the previous amount. Think about that. Halving your power is actually -1AP to all abilities, not literally halving them...

David M as usual there may be a price to pay to bring Mind Maiden back...

"Mind Maiden died trying to help us down here," Miss Victory replies slowly. "She somehow gave me a portion of her powers as she died, putting part of herself in me as she was tortured to death. I would love to have her returned to life but at what cost? Her original life or something else? Like a vampire or a lich or something? That's a price I need to know what is to be paid before I truly decide."

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Aug 23 2020, 09:53

Admin wrote:He turned and nodded, and the woman known as Husk spoke. "You, englishman, hold within you a different personality. He aches for release. I can grant him that release, but your power shall be halved. Your choice. Hand him his freedom and lose a portion of yourself or keep all the power you hold."

[/i][/color]

Lionheart nodded, thinking back to his words, Saladin was a prisoner within, he had been by circumstances forced to merge with no choice.  Lionheart kept him there because he know he was not going to change and this at least afforded him the opportunity to do some good.  But it didn't sit easily with him, and he knew that one day something would have been done.  But he also realised if he was stripped of Saladin, he like the others had to be brought to a fair trial and a fair human sentence.  Moreover, what would that mean for him joining the Ultra humans?  Diminished in power, not that he had as much as he had thought compared to what he had witnessed here, would it mean a return home?  Those were questions he couldn't answer, but having Saladin around would help their team, but at what cost?  

As he tried to work out what might be unworkable seeking in a mere heartbeat to turn over a huge number of possibilities all with other possibilities fracturing off, it was difficult to see all the ways this could go wrong.  

OOC: In other word's I've no idea - let Saladin go free -no problem, but free into what?  If he was to be sentenced here then that might not be such a bad thing.  I rankle slightly that we've still got outstanding cases which we've begun with the Ultra Humans, which depowered or lesser-powered I'd have to leave.  Hmm, I guess I don't mind losing Saladin, but it depends on the trade-off, both in terms of powers and in terms of story...would this mean leaving the Ultra Humans, could I take on the cases I had been pursuing before coming into the prison?  What would be the likely fate of Saladin?  Would he remain here, but would he remain someone examined by who knows what for who knows why etc.  I kinda need some direction or else I'll go with no thanks, bad as this is, the other is worse.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Aug 23 2020, 11:43

OOC: In other word's I've no idea - let Saladin go free -no problem, but free into what? If he was to be sentenced here then that might not be such a bad thing. I rankle slightly that we've still got outstanding cases which we've begun with the Ultra Humans, which depowered or lesser-powered I'd have to leave. Hmm, I guess I don't mind losing Saladin, but it depends on the trade-off, both in terms of powers and in terms of story...would this mean leaving the Ultra Humans, could I take on the cases I had been pursuing before coming into the prison? What would be the likely fate of Saladin? Would he remain here, but would he remain someone examined by who knows what for who knows why etc. I

OOC: Just to throw something in but wasn't Saladin's crimes all in the future? Or at least the ones that evidence could be gathered for. If so, then they would have no reason to keep him and he would be a free man to do what he wanted.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Aug 23 2020, 11:58

DavidMcMahon wrote:
OOC:  Just to throw something in but wasn't Saladin's crimes all in the future?  Or at least the ones that evidence could be gathered for.  If so, then they would have no reason to keep him and he would be a free man to do what he wanted.[/b]

OOC: yes and worse still by going back in time that future might well be split off from this so that in one sense they never happened. Moral conundrum 101. Truth is doing less sounds less fun. But there is the real character reason which is that one doesn't want to let Saladin loose since it's not like he has had a fundamental change of nature. Therefore to let him loose would be to set in motion a chain of events, LH would be responsible for - I'm not so keen on that. My feeling - but I'll wait on Paul's response is to stay as I am. But I can't help being intrigued by the possibilities of what would happen next if he were split off. But only if in so doing he could be contained.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next