The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Vanguard! Miss Victory issue #3 Enter... NEXUS! guest Starring Lionheart!

3 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The New Vanguard! Miss Victory issue #3 Enter... NEXUS! guest Starring Lionheart! - Page 5 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Miss Victory issue #3 Enter... NEXUS! guest Starring Lionheart!

Post  Admin Sun Aug 23 2020, 16:59

OOC In game terms halving Lionhearts power is easy. Minus 1 AP to all abilities, powers and skills. That's it. The moral conundrum is letting someone as powerful as Saladin out with all of Lionhearts powers is tricky. The guy has a code of honour, he's Lawful Evil I suppose in D&D terms, but serves his own ends after Bentham and Trowers (remember them?) and co. in the future used him as a blunt weapon then tried to erase their mistake by killing him and hordes of other 1st Generation PSI Corps.

I wouldn't worry too much about the case load or being depowered. Even 1AP down across the board Lionheart is a Class 4 (in British terms) superhuman. In American terms? He's probably a 6, Miss Victory a 5. You've met some proper planet bashers in this adventure and yet to meet the real big bad of the piece, Nexus, who you would stand no chance against in a straight up fight if he were to recover his powers (think Darkseid multiplied by Thanos with a dash of Galactus and a sprinkle of Celestials, power wise).

The set him free/keep him imprisoned thing is your dilemma to wrestle with Dave. You've run Lionheart for far longer than I ever did and he's much more your character than he was ever mine so the choice is yours as he's changed from a street level Golden Heroes character into one of Britains' most powerful heroes. If it feels wrong, well you know what to do. Then again, an extra pair of powerful hands might help... and they might strike their own deal and betray you.

David M - in game terms you would be buying Mind Maidens' continued existence with points from your Body/Mind/Spirit but the details of that would be revealed if you accept the Night Queens' offer. The clue is in her name. Think... Necromancy...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The New Vanguard! Miss Victory issue #3 Enter... NEXUS! guest Starring Lionheart! - Page 5 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Miss Victory issue #3 Enter... NEXUS! guest Starring Lionheart!

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Aug 23 2020, 17:06

Admin wrote:OOC In game terms halving Lionhearts power is easy. Minus 1 AP to all abilities, powers and skills. That's it. The moral conundrum is letting someone as powerful as Saladin out with all of Lionhearts powers is tricky. The guy has a code of honour, he's Lawful Evil I suppose in D&D terms, but serves his own ends after Bentham and Trowers (remember them?) and co. in the future used him as a blunt weapon then tried to erase their mistake by killing him and hordes of other 1st Generation PSI Corps.

I wouldn't worry too much about the case load or being depowered. Even 1AP down across the board Lionheart is a Class 4 (in British terms) superhuman. In American terms? He's probably a 6, Miss Victory a 5. You've met some proper planet bashers in this adventure and yet to meet the real big bad of the piece, Nexus, who you would stand no chance against in a straight up fight if he were to recover his powers (think Darkseid multiplied by Thanos with a dash of Galactus and a sprinkle of Celestials, power wise).

The set him free/keep him imprisoned thing is your dilemma to wrestle with Dave. You've run Lionheart for far longer than I ever did and he's much more your character than he was ever mine so the choice is yours as he's changed from a street level Golden Heroes character into one of Britains' most powerful heroes. If it feels wrong, well you know what to do. Then again, an extra pair of powerful hands might help... and they might strike their own deal and betray you.

David M - in game terms you would be buying Mind Maidens' continued existence with points from your Body/Mind/Spirit but the details of that would be revealed if you accept the Night Queens' offer. The clue is in her name. Think... Necromancy...

OOC: Thank for this Paul I think I am going to pass...

Lionheart came to a conclusion and spoke without hesitation, though he knew in so doing he was as much the prisoner as the jailer. "Thank you for your offer, unlike you, the one that is contained within me, has no crimes left for the future in which they took place is gone. But he is a criminal, without any desire to do anything save that which pleases him. He a code, but it's to himself - within me he has a life, he lives and experiences things he wouldn't otherwise esp if he was incarcerated here. But who could hold him with no crimes in existence for him to answer to - so in one sense I am jailer in another whilst I am his host, I am as much in jail with him. But to keep others safe its a price I am willing to pay until a more humane and even redemptive means can be found for him to find a way forward if he'd have it so. Therefore, I'll pass but thank you."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Aug 23 2020, 17:58

ooc: Yeah I was afraid of that. If we are looking at undead "life" then Miss Victory would turn her down, only to ask the aid in letting her go onto her reward in the Great Beyond, which would mean Miss Vi would lose the mental powers for the rest of the adventure but might be a possible reason for a power up later on for her. She would feel better doing it that way but still waiting to hear the answer to her question. tongue

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Aug 23 2020, 18:55

Host shrugged. "So be it. I appreciate the explanation and respect your decision." She turned to Night Queen.

"There is a price to pay. I can resurrect her, but she will not truly be ... alive. Think a kind of ... Nosferatu. She would need to drain your life force and yours only for sustenance. There are other.. side effects. She would be darker, her base instincts and emotions much more prone to a darker aspect. If she was heroic, she could fight those urges and still be a heroine, but with a life much changed. It's your call. Generally I spend my time in graveyards raising dead bodies and giving them superhuman abilities to form an army of darkness and plot to enslave the world, but ... in the absence of Graveyards my power is somewhat limited... though I'm a dab hand at sucking the life force out of people."

Executor growled "Don't I know it. Good job I heal faster'n you can drain or I'd be a husk."

Night Queen waved his complaint away. "You didn't complain this morning. Forget him. If you..." she said referring to Miss Victory "want your friend back this is the way. I can bring her back to an unlife, and she would be a companion to you evermore." She shrugged. "Where you are going you might need some more help."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Aug 23 2020, 19:41

Admin wrote:Night Queen waved his complaint away. "You didn't complain this morning. Forget him. If you..." she said referring to  Miss Victory "want your friend back this is the way. I can bring her back to an unlife, and she would be a companion to you evermore." She shrugged. "Where you are going you might need some more help."

Lionheart looked on with a note of chagrin on his face, they weren't wrong. If these people were tough, and yet they were as nothing to what remained. And yet they had to press on, against all hope and against all the odds - so far, they'd not perished, so far. There was still time, there was still another level, but it was, do or die, it was his way and the only way he'd know-how. Having never been properly born, he didn't really fear ending, death was a mystery that between his start and his end he hoped to make it possible to shine bright. He'd lie down only when death knocked him down, round him out, or stopped him in his tracks. Meantime he'd do his best to out-think it, outrun it, or simply tick it off so badly it shamed it senseless. There was no point running into the jaws of death but boldly - who knows, it might still choke! He thought to himself, the absurdity of his thoughts gave rise to the fact that he must be tired, must be low on normal. Some semblance of just being real, and among some kind of real...but what did that look like to someone like him who moved amongst such as these? Maybe the concentration of them here, this prison, its make up was sending him a bit loopy. A prison within a prison, he a prison for Saladin withing a prison for such as these. Yes, it might send anyone a bit loopy after a while. The sheer enormity of it all was hard to fully grasp let alone get ones head around. But so far, though flying by the seat of his pants, he'd somehow found enough air miles to keep from crashing. He wondered how much further he'd get when the magnitude of this mission crashed down on his puny efforts.

Wiping the thoughts aside, it wasn't time to start to contemplate failure. Whatever was ahead would be hard, but there was no point be fatalistic about it, he decided. Giving himself a mental, shake, perhaps it was the talk of the undead, of raising people from the grave it wasn't something he was well versed in and he didn't plan to start now. He waited for Miss Victory to say her part, for his he'd said enough and was eager to get on whatever that might mean.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Aug 23 2020, 20:00

Steeple_jackuk wrote:
Admin wrote:Night Queen waved his complaint away. "You didn't complain this morning. Forget him. If you..." she said referring to  Miss Victory "want your friend back this is the way. I can bring her back to an unlife, and she would be a companion to you evermore." She shrugged. "Where you are going you might need some more help."

Lionheart looked on with a note of chagrin on his face, they weren't wrong.  If these people were tough, and yet they were as nothing to what remained.  And yet they had to press on, against all hope and against all the odds - so far, they'd not perished, so far.  There was still time, there was still another level, but it was, do or die, it was his way and the only way he'd know-how.  Having never been properly born, he didn't really fear ending, death was a mystery that between his start and his end he hoped to make it possible to shine bright.  He'd lie down only when death knocked him down, round him out, or stopped him in his tracks.  Meantime he'd do his best to out-think it, outrun it, or simply tick it off so badly it shamed it senseless.  There was no point running into the jaws of death but boldly - who knows, it might still choke!  He thought to himself, the absurdity of his thoughts gave rise to the fact that he must be tired, must be low on normal.  Some semblance of just being real, and among some kind of real...but what did that look like to someone like him who moved amongst such as these?  Maybe the concentration of them here, this prison, its make up was sending him a bit loopy.  A prison within a prison, he a prison for Saladin withing a prison for such as these.  Yes, it might send anyone a bit loopy after a while.   The sheer enormity of it all was hard to fully grasp let alone get ones head around.  But so far, though flying by the seat of his pants, he'd somehow found enough air miles to keep from crashing.  He wondered how much further he'd get when the magnitude of this mission crashed down on his puny efforts.  

Wiping the thoughts aside, it wasn't time to start to contemplate failure.  Whatever was ahead would be hard, but there was no point be fatalistic about it, he decided.  Giving himself a mental, shake, perhaps it was the talk of the undead, of raising people from the grave it wasn't something he was well versed in and he didn't plan to start now.  He waited for Miss Victory to say her part, for his he'd said enough and was eager to get on whatever that might mean.  

Sj  

"I can't and won't do that to her," Miss Victory says a bit sadly. "She was a good woman, trying to help people and she died an ugly death. Instead, I want her to find peace. Can you help send her off to her Eternal Reward? I would much rather lose all the abilities she gave me than keep her bound here."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Aug 23 2020, 21:54

"I can try. Some don't want to go. All I can do is light the path." said Night Queen, concentrating...

Suddenly the lights in the room seemed to dim and there was a howling, as if of wind but not a breath of air moved. A shape began to form in the air, costumed as she'd been in life and Mind Maiden was once more revealed to the world. The heroine had been an inductee to the Ultrahumans and died on her first mission. Now she was caught between places, a prisoner thanks to her own strong mental abilities.

"Where am I... oh! Vero... Miss Victory! How are you... who are they?" said the disembodied spirit.

"Listen to me." said Night Queen in a voice most unlike her ordinary voice. Mind Maiden stiffened then turned, hovering in the air before Night Queen.

"I hear and obey, Queen of the Dead." said Mind Maiden, robotically.

"Your ties to this world have not fully severed. It is time for you to move on." said Night Queen in that spooky from beyond the grave voice.

Mind Maiden looked torn and turned to glance at Miss Victory. "But... But I have to help my friend escape this place..." she said, emotion entering her voice. "Perhaps there is a way of... of returning. To help her. To get back to my wife. She doesn't even know I am dead, and I cannot leave this place."

"Hmmph." said Emperor Energy. "Arguably the most powerful collection of beings in this corner of the galaxy all in one place and we are boxed up neatly, to be forgotten about, tested like lab rats, or to be executed without trial or jury." he hissed.

Night Queen turned her violet eyes on him and the Emperor blanched.

She turned back to Mind Maiden.

"Take my hand child." she said, offering a hand.

"Child?" said Executor. "She can't be much younger than..."

Night Queens glance silenced him. "I am as old as time itself, mortal." she rasped.

Mind Maiden took Night Queens hand who closed her eyes, concentrating. "Your will to stay is strong. Your desire to help... Viktoriya Volkov ... overwhelming the desire to leave. Look where I guide you. The light. Take the swan's path..."

Mind Maiden turned, and there seemed to be a bright light in the room shining down. She gasped, reaching out for it. "Miss Victory..." she said turning to the heroine. "I cannot stay! I must go... I must... get word to my wife, tell her... even beyond death I am thinking of her... of being with her... always..."

The light drew the heroine up until there was a blinding flash which faded and the room lights seemed to go back to normal. Night Queen breathed out slowly then looked up, violet eyes mesmerising. "It is done. She has taken the Swans Path. Go in peace heroes. Your lives may be short but you have performed a service and I for one will see you unmolested on this level while I draw breath."

The other council members blinked and looked about. "What happened?" asked Executor. The others were similarly confused, having seen and heard nothing.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Aug 23 2020, 22:19

"Mind Maiden is gone to the Great Beyond," Miss Victory said simply. "Thank you for that."

"So ... any of you want to go down to the last level and help us end this madness," she asks after taking a breath.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Aug 23 2020, 23:23

The council looked at each other. Finally Emperor Energy spoke. "We are all comfortable with our level of power. Any one of us in this room could impose our wills on the levels above. Instead we stay together to keep each other in check. One of us going downstairs would be a clear provocation to those... 'Gods'. you? They were see you as an inconvenience at most, barely worthy of their attention."

Executor frowned. He looked at his arms and formed four foot long claws on a hand, then casually ran then down the wall. The walls were impervious to nuclear weapons, super powers, magic, mental powers and everything in between.

As he screeched the claws down the walls the lights flickered, the power fluctuated and an alarm blared somewhere.

"See that?" said the killer. "I can cut practically anything, even Silver Sentinel, and oh, has that clown got another cut coming. I'll wear a hazmat suit this time though. I didn't know he was a living star. Anyway, there's no one I'm scared of. If I can get up close to one o those level 8 guys I can cut him good. Problem is they'd roast or zap or melt or whatever the flesh off my indestructible bones before I could get close. Going down to level 8 to start a fight only goes one way. And that asshole Nexus? Damn. I could cut his skinny accountant ass in two and you know what? He'd smile. he'd laugh. Then he would annihilate me. I'm supposedly immortal. I can regenerate from any damage. You could throw me in the sun and I'd get a decent suntan. That guy?"

He shook his head. "He'd scatter my atoms, without even trying. So yeah, I can go down there, but I'd die. You could go down there and... maybe... just maybe... you can persuade those guys like you persuaded us. You got balls. I like that. Level 8 balls are good, brains and a good reason not to kill you where you stand are better. Still want to go down there?"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Aug 24 2020, 01:23

"Don't have any choice," Miss Victory says with a shrug. "Too much pain. Too much blood and too many deaths to back down now."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Aug 24 2020, 13:36

DavidMcMahon wrote:"Don't have any choice," Miss Victory says with a shrug.  "Too much pain. Too much blood and too many deaths to back down now."

Lionheart looked at Miss Victory though her journey here had been different clearly the pained look on her face spoke volumes of what she'd been through to get to this point as he and his team had as well. He didn't feel there was any more to add that was of any importance and so just nodded approvingly at her then back to the council.

It had been a long journey this far, but perhaps this next level was going to be the longest or at least most demanding of all. But whatever it was going to be, there would be no finding out until they got on that level and met with those who occupied it, assuming they didn't just vaporise them where they stood.

OOC: OK I think we're done here, best get going before we get too comfortable.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Aug 24 2020, 13:50

OOC: OK I think we're done here, best get going before we get too comfortable.

ooc: Clock's running and I assume an hour has passed so Miss Victory is powerless again until she takes another Vita Pill, leaving her four.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Aug 25 2020, 15:44

OOC Yup, Miss Vic is powerless now so needs another tablet.

Obsidian rolled his neck and muttered "Glad to be gettin outta here. One shotted like a punk." he muttered.

Lupus looked scared. "Is this it? We're going down there?"

Obsidian clapped him on the back. "Kid, don't sweat it. You made it this far. These two will get us through anything."

They were led through the level by Suprema who raised an eyebrow to Obsidian. "Scare you off, big boy?"

Obsidian scowled and was about to answer, then grinned. "Hell no. I like a challenge! If we come back alive from level 8 how about we go on a date?"

Suprema stared, then smiled. "A chancer eh? Alright. I don't think I'll ever see you again, but ... why not?"

A man in an orange suit nodded at the door when the group got to it then opened it up.

"I'm not here to really stop anyone coming up to this level." he grunted. "More as a warning system."

The stairwell led down to level 8.

=========

The doorway was unguarded seemingly. They entered the level unmolested. The lights were only half on in this level.

It was smaller with less cells and more systems required for running this place. They could even see the central core that ran up and down from top to bottom.

OOC Danger Sense 9 + Roll(2d12)+0: 6,10,+0 Total:16 (25) vs
OV2 + Roll(2d12)+0: 6,8,+0 Total:14 (16)
+4 (to 13) vs RV2=11 RAPs

Lionheart spun.

A figure formed out of the air, coalescing into a solid - ish - form.

The New Vanguard! Miss Victory issue #3 Enter... NEXUS! guest Starring Lionheart! - Page 5 Spectre

The voice sounded ... well, unlike sound. Instead it seemed to be 'heard' inside each of the groups head.

"I know why you have come. Turn round. You will find death here, and nothing else." it rasped.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Aug 25 2020, 16:02

Admin wrote:The voice sounded ... well, unlike sound. Instead it seemed to be 'heard' inside each of the groups head.

"I know why you have come. Turn round. You will find death here, and nothing else." it rasped.

Lionheart moved forward, protective of the others for all the good it would do them and because we'll he'd been tasked with this mission and he felt he owed it to this being to explain their predicament. "Sir, no doubt you can see our intentions and our reasons for being here. No doubt you are are aware of the people called Advent that has drawn us to this very mission. We know death is a possibility may be an onrushing inevitability. We do not needlessly invite it, but we have no choice but to dance with it for we must go forward and meet what is before us we cannot go back!"

Lionheart didn't imagine it or he had any trouble in perceiving their situation, despite the walls that kept the being here, they had come with information and he could no doubt perceive that, so there seemed little point than being totally honest and going for broke. It was all they had after all.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Aug 25 2020, 17:01

Steeple_jackuk wrote:
Admin wrote:The voice sounded ... well, unlike sound. Instead it seemed to be 'heard' inside each of the groups head.

Lionheart moved forward, protective of the others for all the good it would do them and because we'll he'd been tasked with this mission and he felt he owed it to this being to explain their predicament.  "Sir, no doubt you can see our intentions and our reasons for being here.  No doubt you are are aware of the people called Advent that has drawn us to this very mission.  We know death is a possibility may be an onrushing inevitability.  We do not needlessly invite it, but we have no choice but to dance with it for we must go forward and meet what is before us we cannot go back!"

Lionheart didn't imagine it or he had any trouble in perceiving their situation, despite the walls that kept the being here, they had come with information and he could no doubt perceive that, so there seemed little point than being totally honest and going for broke.  It was all they had after all.

Sj

"May we have your name please," Miss Victory asks politely, not bothering to take her Vita Pill yet, probably wouldn't do any good anyways but ....

"And why would you have us leave when you know what's at stake?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Aug 27 2020, 13:28

The being glanced over at Miss Victory. "In different worlds, in different times I am called many things. Here I am called Eidelon."

"Your words fall on deaf ears here. The powers that reside here are contemplating action and will soon test the limits of this ... prison. There will be repercussions and word will soon be sent out that all should stay in their cells for their own safety. You should heed the warning. It will be the only one you receive."

"You don't scare us!" said Obsidian, powering up and growing to a hulking black giant. "For all we know you might be smoke and mirrors, I'll take you on right now! I'm sick of all this bully boy crap!"

Seemingly patient, the floating entity sighs. "I am here through a mistake. A battle across dimensions saw my mortal form exhausted and an opportunity was taken to imprison me rather than let my powers recover. In my own place, in my own time... on a different world... I was the most powerful entity. This place has a number of entities that could rival me. When freed I shall be leaving, to return to my own time and space, although it is fair to say that like Nexus, I am a being that exists everywhere, at every time, but limited by a mortal form in each dimension. You cannot kill me. You cannot hurt me. I, however, see with sadness that you need convincing. So be it."

OOC Eidelon wins initiative and ...

Dex 29 + Roll(2d12)+0: 1,8,+0 Total:9 (38) vs
OV8 + 3D Acro + Roll(5d12)+0: 12,7,9,11,6,+0 Total:23 (31)
+4 (to 29) vs RV21=8 RAPs. Kinetic Absorption is burned out and
Obsidian is reduced to 4/12 Body.

With a casual backhand the entity cuffs Obsidian and sends him sprawling. Experienced combatants, Miss V and Lionheart both know there is no extra force or power put behind the blow. "Know this. I bear you no ill... or good will. I could easily have disintegrated you... drained your mind or spirit... I am simply here as a messenger. I am also currently attending a meeting of like minds. Return to your cells. Wait. Be patient."

OOC David M will know who this is. Different name, same power level. It is of course, DC's SPECTRE, with the name filed off.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Aug 27 2020, 14:02

Admin wrote:With a casual backhand the entity cuffs Obsidian and sends him sprawling. Experienced combatants, Miss V and Lionheart both know there is no extra force or power put behind the blow. "Know this. I bear you no ill... or good will. I could easily have disintegrated you... drained your mind or spirit... I am simply here as a messenger. I am also currently attending a meeting of like minds. Return to your cells. Wait. Be patient."

OOC David M will know who this is. Different name, same power level. It is of course, DC's SPECTRE, with the name filed off.

OOC I know the Spectre as well ;-)

Lionheart raised his hands as he spoke to offer a non-threatening gesture. "Wait, for an enlightened being you certainly turn to violence awfully quick. Especially since Obsidion didn't attack you, nor I doubt could have harmed you. As to what these powers are doing to test the limits of this place...can't you see how you are being played here? The powers that thought they had you under control, locked securely away, removing your abilities, themselves got played. This prison then became the plaything of beings who want you to want out. I don't know if they've got the power to take you down, or indeed if you've the power to take them down, but guess what will be standing between you? You were once mortal, you were once human, how do you feel about a whole planet, generations and billions wiped out as collateral damage because Atlas shrugged! Don't you see that if you wipe out each other, or more likely destroy this planet - these beings will have got what they wanted, the resources here and will still be able to go on merrily on their way? But unfathomable weight will sit on your shoulders, what bagged will haunt you, as the chorus of billions of souls will be the accompanying melody that forever echoes around your every waking moment for whatever span you've been given in this your existence. Can even your conscious, shrug off that amount of destruction. Are you just a blind force that is impervious to all this, a statement of fact that cares nothing for life just is, or are you far more and therefore for all you and the others have by way of power, even you would find such a weight across aeons being a burden that would torment your days that you would wish them all undone than live another one? If you care not for us, why warn us, why tell others to be in their prison cells. You do care, so listen to us - please. For all your power there has to be another way or are you more limited than you care to imagine or admit?"

Lionheart wasn't sure where his words came from, something within his cloned heart had gained traction. Perhaps for his unorthodox birth, his affinity for and close contact with people had rubbed off on him. Maybe the nobility and dignity of men he'd call friends, like Frostbite, had added something to him that DNA alone couldn't. In any case, he stood back somewhat amazed by his words, but conscious that, that is all they were. Would anyone take any notice of a thing he said?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Aug 27 2020, 14:07

ooc:  Depending on which version of him we are looking at, he would consider Superman and all his powers as the equivalent of a cute puppy and its tricks.  Or an extremely tough foe.  Again, depends which power level he is at.  At the end of his original run, he was depowered to the point of being a ghost with some superstrength and not much else and was demoted to invisible sidekick/guardian angel to Percival Popp, the Super-Cop; it became a comedy strip.  His human half, Jim Corrigan, had split from the Spectre to go off and become an Army officer and join the war. 

"Not all of us are criminals," Miss Victory steps up to say, still powerless.  "We have risked life and limb to come down here and restore power to the prison.  People have died trying to stop this madness.  Stop the Advent and their plans for us, including you and your group.  You have so much power, read my mind, read my memories and see what I am talking about.  You have to let us end this madness and restore the power!  Please!"

She girds herself to have her whole being examined, her mind invaded.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Aug 27 2020, 19:01

The being considers both heroes words. "Obsidian is a man of violence. As a gang enforcer and common criminal he dealt in force and physical superiority. Therefore it seemed... prudent to make a point that he would understand."

"You are fast, to a degree, Lionheart." said the ghostly figure. "Your powers are diverse and yet you resort to persuasion. Many of the points you make are valid, but once I am freed from this place this world will have to make its own way as I traverse back to my own."

He turns to Miss Victory. "You open your mind. Very well."

OOC Mind Probe 29 + Roll(2d12)+0: 11,10,+0 Total:21 (50) vs
OV8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 3,3,+0 Total:6 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 12,8,+0 Total:26 (34)
+6 (to 35) vs RV8=27 RAPs. More or less covers your entire memory from birth.

"You have overcome great adversity and danger to escape to America and there are enemies in this prison who would see you dead. Even so you show a nobility of spirit that sees you never giving in despite the odds. ADVENT present a real and present danger to this world and you will fight them to your last breath." the spirit considered. "Restoring the power in this place would see me powerless and reduced to my mortal form once more and the people of my world will suffer for my absence. What you ask of me is to sacrifice one world for another."

The Spirit considered. "Your cause is just, and I cannot oppose you for to do so would be to deny my nature. I will not help you, but I will not block your passage. Move on."

The Spirit vanished.

Lupus spluttered "What? He just let us go?"

"I'm tired of being made a point of." said Obsidian. "I'm going back. Good luck guys." he said, wiping blood from his nose and sighing. "The spook was right. Outside of here I was a bully, a criminal, a crook and a murderer. In here? I'm a whipping boy. Has to be a lesson there and I plan to learn it. See ya." He turned to leave and made for the stairs.

OOC The spook hasn't stopped you. Onwards to the control room and the finale?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Aug 27 2020, 20:49

Admin wrote:[b]

Lupus spluttered "What? He just let us go?"

"I'm tired of being made a point of." said Obsidian. "I'm going back. Good luck guys." he said, wiping blood from his nose and sighing. "The spook was right. Outside of here I was a bully, a criminal, a crook and a murderer. In here? I'm a whipping boy. Has to be a lesson there and I plan to learn it. See ya." He turned to leave and made for the stairs.

OOC The spook hasn't stopped you. Onwards to the control room and the finale?

"Obsidian," Miss Victory calls out to the departing man. "I will remember what you did for me, for us. I will keep my promise to try and better your circumstances. I am glad to see you have started to understand that better circumstances start with a person changing for the better inside themselves. Thank you for saving me so many times. I won't forget."

She nods to the two left.

"Shall we, gentlemen?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Aug 27 2020, 20:54

Admin wrote:"I'm tired of being made a point of." said Obsidian. "I'm going back. Good luck guys." he said, wiping blood from his nose and sighing. "The spook was right. Outside of here I was a bully, a criminal, a crook and a murderer. In here? I'm a whipping boy. Has to be a lesson there and I plan to learn it. See ya." He turned to leave and made for the stairs. OOC The spook hasn't stopped you. Onwards to the control room and the finale?

"Wait...!" Lionheart was before Obsidion before he could take another step then stepped back, he didn't need to confront the man but he did want to speak to him. "That might be what brought you here, but that need not be what is keeping you here. Look I believe that these are places where a man or woman can find a different path to life. Just because he knows what you were, doesn't mean he knows what you are? You go back, you accept what he tells you, you go forward...well who knows. You know I can't promise you that we'll get out of this alive. But only you know if what you go back to you, you want to return to? I think this is a crossroads for you my friend, and you need to decide if the way you go from here is back down the well-worn track that earned you this place, or it's an as yet undiscovered country."

Turning to the others, Lionheart said, "You know what is before us, you all do. But I'm going on with or without you, but Obsidion is right about one thing, this isn't easy and we'll all possible be made an example of before this is over. You decide, I'm going on and I'd be glad of the company if you decided you wanted to continue to join me."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Aug 27 2020, 21:43

Lupus sighed. "I'm out of my depth. I'm a freak outside of this place. If they turn on the power jammer I turn back into a normal guy. I *want* them to turn me back. You guys... compared to me you're all gods... mega hitters and to see Obsidian get knocked about like has been done is just crazy."

"Maybe one day I'll come to terms with my powers but I can't forget what happened and what I did and until I make my peace with it I'm no good to you. Obsidian, I'll go with you. Best of luck you two. I have every faith you'll do it."

Lupus nodded to Lionheart and Miss Victory, and with Obsidian who turned and gave a nod to the pair they moved on back up the stairs to level 7.

All of a sudden, there were two. The most powerful of the group, and practically powerless against the 'gods' on this level.

With the other two go the pair moved on.

=========

They moved on unmolested through the level and noted there were few cells, more rooms that were used to power and control the place with servers filling the space from floor to ceiling, generators and computer systems, all deserted.

They were under no illusions. The people on this level had powers and abilities beyond the comprehension of ordinary people and even most superhumans.

Moving closer to the hub at the very centre of the prison they saw the lifts that ran up and down were dormant and waiting. The control room was built around them and were extensive.

A wisp of smoke formed into a naked man in front of them. Muscular, athletic and blue skinned, the being seemed impassive and cold. He looked at the pair and stepped aside as the door to the control room beckoned.

Miss Victory noticed the sign etched into his forehead like a tattoo of an atom, amongst other details.

The control room was dark and screens were lit up with chairs sat at each in a circle with a wall of screens wrapped around the central up/down core. Each chair held an occupant. Staff of the prison, bound with metal restraints and looking haggard, drawn out and petrified. A number of bodies clad in what looked to be powered suits were thrown into a six foot high pile in the corner.

The naked blue man followed them towards the centre of the room where the ghostly Eidelon stood with a group, conversing. There was only white static on the multiple screens, nothing to see there. A creature some seven feet high and almost as wide looked up from the conversation, his grey skin looking much like stone. A woman in prison orange lounged in a chair and two more middle aged men in prison orange leaned against screens. One was concentrating with a hand on a computer.

One man stood slightly aside, bespectacled and looking very much like an accountant. The most dangerous man alive (or otherwise) on this planet.

Nexus.

The man looked up. "Don't bother giving me a speech about Advent and using us like puppets." he explained in his quiet voice. "In fact we thank you, superheroes, for bringing us this news. As well as that... well?"

The man pressing a hand to the computer nodded and thrust his other hand at the floor.

SHELLGHOST materialised and thudded onto the floor and the big grey giant moved impossibly fast to scoop him up by the throat, dangling him effortlessly feet off the floor.

"Would you like to leave?" asked the man in the glasses. "I think we're just about to sort it out. We needed one more ingredient, one more piece to the puzzle to give us the key to unlocking this place." He said, hands behind his back. "Very clever, this place. It works to use your own power, magnified, against you. The power comes from another dimension, one I exist in as Nexus. They have one there too. I believe that version of Nexus melted the place and formed it into a statue of himself. We're not all the same."

"Should we kill these two?" asked one of the people in orange.

"Hmm? Why? What can they do to you, who controls energy of every wavelength so that you are no longer remotely human, or Mindlord, who could lobotomise them both with a thought? Every one of us small group could move through level by level and vaporise everyone on the level. Everyone but me." he grinned.

Eidelon looked at the 'accountant' that was Nexus and frowned. "I could vaporise you." he rasped.

"So you could! And then what?" he smiled. "You know my power. You are a force of nature. I? I'm greater than that. I am Nexus. No one, not Advent, the Ultrahumans or anyone else will stop me. The rest of you all have means to go about your ways, I shall claim my place as ultimate master of this universe." he said conversationally. He frowned, seemed to think for a moment, then turned to Lionheart and Miss Victory. "I say. You are probably both considered powerful in your own way. How would you like to experience TRUE power? You can be... my heralds. Well?"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Aug 27 2020, 22:16

Admin wrote:Lupus sighed. "I'm out of my depth. I'm a freak outside of this place. If they turn on the power jammer I turn back into a normal guy. I *want* them to turn me back. You guys... compared to me you're all gods... mega hitters and to see Obsidian get knocked about like has been done is just crazy."

"Maybe one day I'll come to terms with my powers but I can't forget what happened and what I did and until I make my peace with it I'm no good to you. Obsidian, I'll go with you. Best of luck you two. I have every faith you'll do it."

Lupus nodded to Lionheart and Miss Victory, and with Obsidian who turned and gave a nod to the pair they moved on back up the stairs to level 7.

All of a sudden, there were two. The most powerful of the group, and practically powerless against the 'gods' on this level.

With the other two go the pair moved on.

=========

They moved on unmolested through the level and noted there were few cells, more rooms that were used to power and control the place with servers filling the space from floor to ceiling, generators and computer systems, all deserted.

They were under no illusions. The people on this level had powers and abilities beyond the comprehension of ordinary people and even most superhumans.

Moving closer to the hub at the very centre of the prison they saw the lifts that ran up and down were dormant and waiting. The control room was built around them and were extensive.

At this point, Miss Victory takes one of her remaining 4 Vita Pills. She sets her energy to max out her Body [23] and the rest to Dex.  She has no illusions if they get into a fight but it may allow her to survive one attack.  What she is really counting on is the Charisma she gets while powered up.  That may help them when they try to talk the others to their side.

A wisp of smoke formed into a naked man in front of them. Muscular, athletic and blue skinned, the being seemed impassive and cold. He looked at the pair and stepped aside as the door to the control room beckoned.

Miss Victory noticed the sign etched into his forehead like a tattoo of an atom, amongst other details.

The control room was dark and screens were lit up with chairs sat at each in a circle with a wall of screens wrapped around the central up/down core. Each chair held an occupant. Staff of the prison, bound with metal restraints and looking haggard, drawn out and petrified. A number of bodies clad in what looked to be powered suits were thrown into a six foot high pile in the corner.

The naked blue man followed them towards the centre of the room where the ghostly Eidelon stood with a group, conversing. There was only white static on the multiple screens, nothing to see there. A creature some seven feet high and almost as wide looked up from the conversation, his grey skin looking much like stone. A woman in prison orange lounged in a chair and two more middle aged men in prison orange leaned against screens. One was concentrating with a hand on a computer.

One man stood slightly aside, bespectacled and looking very much like an accountant. The most dangerous man alive (or otherwise) on this planet.

Nexus.

The man looked up. "Don't bother giving me a speech about Advent and using us like puppets." he explained in his quiet voice. "In fact we thank you, superheroes, for bringing us this news. As well as that... well?"

The man pressing a hand to the computer nodded and thrust his other hand at the floor.

SHELLGHOST materialised and thudded onto the floor and the big grey giant moved impossibly fast to scoop him up by the throat, dangling him effortlessly feet off the floor.

"Would you like to leave?" asked the man in the glasses. "I think we're just about to sort it out. We needed one more ingredient, one more piece to the puzzle to give us the key to unlocking this place." He said, hands behind his back. "Very clever, this place. It works to use your own power, magnified, against you. The power comes from another dimension, one I exist in as Nexus. They have one there too. I believe that version of Nexus melted the place and formed it into a statue of himself. We're not all the same."

"Should we kill these two?" asked one of the people in orange.

"Hmm? Why? What can they do to you, who controls energy of every wavelength so that you are no longer remotely human, or Mindlord, who could lobotomise them both with a thought? Every one of us small group could move through level by level and vaporise everyone on the level. Everyone but me." he grinned.

Eidelon looked at the 'accountant' that was Nexus and frowned. "I could vaporise you." he rasped.

"So you could! And then what?" he smiled. "You know my power. You are a force of nature. I? I'm greater than that. I am Nexus. No one, not Advent, the Ultrahumans or anyone else will stop me. The rest of you all have means to go about your ways, I shall claim my place as ultimate master of this universe." he said conversationally. He frowned, seemed to think for a moment, then turned to Lionheart and Miss Victory. "I say. You are probably both considered powerful in your own way. How would you like to experience TRUE power? You can be... my heralds. Well?"

"Why," asks Miss Victory of Nexus.  

[assuming some sort of raised eyebrow or questioning look]

"Why do you need heralds?  Why do you need to rule the universe or the multi-verse?  Why do you want to be worshiped as a god?  Don't you know how many untold quadrillions of people would be praying to you to fix anything and everything in their lives?  You really want that kind of responsibility?  That kind of headache?  Every minute of every day for forever?"

"Please get rid of my pimples, O Great Nexus," she says, mimicking teenage girls and other people.  "Please make Billy drop Sally and ask me to the dance, O Great Nexus!  Please make Mommy and Daddy stop fighting and love each other again, O Great Nexus.  Dang it!  I got a flat!  Please reverse time, O Great Nexus so I can fix this flat and get to work on time.  Please make it rain so my crops will grow and I can feed my family, O Great Nexus!  Please let me win the lottery, O Great Nexus!  Please save me and I will give you anything you ask, O Great Nexus!  Please let my team win, O Great Nexus!  O Great Nexus, please repair that plate I just dropped and broke!  O Great Nexus, i burned the meat, please fix my dinner so it will be so great my boss will praise me and give me a raise!"

"Big prayers.  Little Prayers.  Silly Prayers.  Special Prayers.  Prayers that could change an entire world or civilization.  This is what you aspire to?  To listen to that all day, every day?  Or do you just want every living thing in the universe to fear you?  Raising up unintelligent life forms to sentient intelligent life forms, just so that they can fear you?  Is that what you want?"

"Why," she again asks simply.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Aug 27 2020, 22:39

Admin wrote:"So you could! And then what?" he smiled. "You know my power. You are a force of nature. I? I'm greater than that. I am Nexus. No one, not Advent, the Ultrahumans or anyone else will stop me. The rest of you all have means to go about your ways, I shall claim my place as the ultimate master of this universe." he said conversationally. He frowned, seemed to think for a moment, then turned to Lionheart and Miss Victory. "I say. You are probably both considered powerful in your own way. How would you like to experience TRUE power? You can be... my heralds. Well?"

Lionheart laughed, a long, exhausted tired laugh. "Really...is that the best you can do? You, NEXUS master of the universe. Heck maybe of every universe and yet here you are? Powerless apart from the help of Advent.

Which is kinda strange because you actually think there is no bigger fish! Huh, yet they're out there and you're still in here. I don't know what Advent think they can do with you? Maybe nothing, but for all your promises of being better and more powerful. And, by the way, not doubting that. Yet you're still here, yet you were all defeated and shackled and bound until they freed you? And they're still out there, growing, developing and you didn't even know it till we told you. Huh, imagine that - that's a pretty sizeable slice of ignorance right there. So maybe, just maybe you ought to take note of that. Moreover, if they could do this when you couldn't what else do they have up their sleeve? Not such a bunch of pushovers maybe after all? Thanks for the job offer, I rather suspect my friend like me will thank you. We're polite like that, but from where I'm standing you ain't all that, not when Advent is the only reason you are here and not back in your cells, or outside showing them whose boss."

Lionheart pulled up a seat and sat down. It felt like a long time since he had just sat and watched and waited for the tension to either blow-up and him with it, or perhaps just do something totally unexpected. He had no power to fight with against such beings and to try would be pointless. He could try diplomacy but to what end, they had all they wanted. No, in the end, the blunt truth was all he had, and he wasn't sure of anything to save his ignorance. Advent had orchestrated this and he still had no idea what they're end game was, how they imagined they could get away with this scheme. But they'd already proven how resourceful they were, they had to have some plan. Some means of making sure that this situation went their way, despite how powerful these beings were. In the end, telling the truth and point out the obvious flaw to this end was all he could do. They were all that, and yet they were all here...Advent had got them this far when they couldn't even help themselves.

One day, if Lionheart survived this, he thought, he'd look back and realise how many different ways this could have gone, how much better he could have done, or what would have been wisest and best choices as opposed to what he said or how he said it. But that future self, if he even existed beyond this day, was a man who had the luxury of being able to look back. But now, now was all Lionheart could be and do, so might as well shoot for the moon, as shoot for anything, even if all he had to reach it was a paper aeroplane of a plan.

OOC: Well it's been fun, I did think of being more brutal, and blunt, but I decided there was no point being a jerk like and that might be foolish. No, in the end, the truth as I see it is that Advent has played everyone and anyone who thinks they aren't worthy of the attention when they'd got things this far, is really being ignorant. Not sure how this is all going to wrap up, you've really had me guessing and reaching for bigger and bigger phrases and speeches. But this has been cosmically out of our depth, you could never have done this with GH and yet this has been more about role-playing than rule-playing, these last 3 or so levels especially so. I really wonder though, one of these days if our powers will give out, our words will fall on deaf ears and there really will be a death or deaths in the family? Every time I think we'll never get out of this, somehow something always seems to get us through - but I wonder if the dice or just the fact we don't know what to do will do for us in the end. This might just be that moment.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Aug 28 2020, 01:22

lol! lol! lol! lol!

ooc: We sort of trampled on each other the last two speeches, uploading them within minutes of each other. But they dovetailed kind of well. Miss Victory went soft and Lionheart went hard.

We will have to see how Nexus answers us. I got a Plan B if he still wants to talk. study study
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Steeple_jackuk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next