The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Professor Wynde issue #2 - Well, actually it's #1 with the LORE KNIGHTS and WONDERMAN!

2 posters

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Professor Wynde issue #2 - Well, actually it's #1 with the LORE KNIGHTS and WONDERMAN! - Page 3 Empty Re: Professor Wynde issue #2 - Well, actually it's #1 with the LORE KNIGHTS and WONDERMAN!

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jun 23 2020, 22:00

Magic Sense to get a better idea of which way to go, which I am betting is the opposite of where those soldiers are heading. Or not.

"Well, let's see where that powerful magic item is around here," Prof Wynde says while concentrating and slowly turning in a circle.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Professor Wynde issue #2 - Well, actually it's #1 with the LORE KNIGHTS and WONDERMAN! - Page 3 Empty Re: Professor Wynde issue #2 - Well, actually it's #1 with the LORE KNIGHTS and WONDERMAN!

Post  Admin Wed Jun 24 2020, 20:52

Wonder Man calls out "Hey guys! We're on YOUR side!" but the soldiers dashed forward and levelled weapons at the strangely dressed newcomers!

Prof Wynde scans with his Magic Sense and feels an overwhelming surge from within one of the towers!

"If you're thinking of going in there..." says Faerie in her diminutive form and flying about "... I can't teleport blind! Best bet is to fly up there and go through a window!"

Swashbuckler turned and said "Uh guys, they are about to shoot at us unless we surrender! I can't use my sword against these guys - they are just doing their job!"

"I'll block any bullets!" said Wonder Man as he hopped towards the soldiers. "Guys! We're here to help! We are the LORE KNIGHTS!"

"Who?" shouted one soldier. "Everyone surrender! 'Ands up!"

They took aim at Wonder Man...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Jun 24 2020, 22:01

Prof. Wynde laughs, "Look Wonderman! Now you are being yelled at in proper English instead of that barbaric American English you use! And I think our barristers will be much more polite than your American lawyers when they try to sue us. You must feel so much better now!"

"Gentlemen, you have never heard of us or have ever seen us before. You may have read some American papers a year or so ago about Wonderman, a man of super-human abilities? This is him. He is totally bullet-proof by the way. So please shoot at him if you are going to open fire. That way, no one gets hurt. A few more costume heroes have popped up as well in America since then. Not sure if any have appeared in England yet?"

He looks to Faerie and Swashbuckler to either confirm or deny that other costumed heroes have appeared in the UK.

"But now you are meeting England's main super-human group. I present to you myself, Prof. Wynde, master of the magical winds. Faerie, she of small size and flight but an ever so big heart. And Swashbuckler, dashing hero with the devil may care grin. And others who are not present. We make up the Lore Knights, appointed by the Land itself to guard it in times of need."

"We have come to this ground only because there is a great source of magic right there," he points to where he sensed it. "However, I do not know if it is supposed to be there or is a danger to us all. Would you be so kind as to summon someone in authority, quickly, so we may have access to this item. If it is a danger to us, then every moment counts. If not, then we will be on our way, relieved that we were not needed."

ooc: I'm making a really big assumption that versions of many but not all public domain heroes have started to appear in America roughly at the same time they appeared in the comics. So I have no idea if there are any British heroes around in 1940. Not an area I am familiar with.

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 24 2020, 22:40

OOC As far as I know we were late to the party and any comic book heroes would be along the lines of war/army types. A website here: http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/40.htm might have some other ideas but a quick skim through that reveals most (not all) debut post war.

One soldier looks at another. "There was sommat in the paper about a bloke who stopped a war or sommat..."

"Yes! That's me! What does 'sommat' mean?" asked Wonder Man.

"He means 'something'." said Swashbuckler. "Regional slang old boy."

"Right you lot stay 'ere Johnson will go get the Captain. Well go on Johnson, never seen a half naked 6" 'igh woman before?" said the Corporal.

"Yeah, keep your eyes to yourself." growled Wonder Man.

=========

The Captain came along with another three soldiers in tow and declared "Now then what's all ... by jove!" he said as he spied Faerie flitting about on a trail of blue sparkling energy.

Uncertain now, the Captain turns to Prof Wynde who the Corporal identified as the leader. "Now listen here sir, we can't have any funny business around here! What is it you want? Bear in mind whatever it is may be above my pay grade."

Prof Wynde explains.

"What? Magic? Are you barmy?" he laughs but the soldiers with him are nervous. "Magic? Really?" he chuckles, but then looks at Faerie, smile fading.

Wonder Man sighs. "You don't believe. How about this. Shoot me." The Captain was taken aback. Wonder man grabbed the rifle barrel of a soldier and stuck it to his chest.

"Now listen here, you can't do that! Any more funny business and he'll shoot!" said the Captain. The other soldiers hefted rifles and pointed them at all the Lore Knights.

Wonder Man sighed. "BOO!" he shouted, and the soldier fired!

The soldiers looked aghast and Faerie cried out... until Wonder Man moved the barrel aside and dusted his chest off. "I can do all sorts of stuff." He leapt up... and up... and up... soldiers gaping. When he landed in a crouch he said "Here!" and hefted a car up before balancing it single handed above his head!

"Show off." grumbled Swashbuckler.

Faerie sighed, clasping her hands with hero worship.

Setting the car down Wonder Man said "ALL of my companions are amazing! I'm probably the least impressive! We're here to help, we are the Lore Knights and there is something we need to check out in the Tower of London. Your guns won't hurt us but because we're good guys, we're asking rather than doing what we want."

The Captain chewed his lip. "Guns down." he ordered his men. "Pointless using them if they don't leave a mark. I'll make a telephone call."

=========

An official looking car rolled up and a man in a suit got out. "What's this all about?" he growled.

"Algernon DeVeere, from the ministry of defence. I'm a busy man. What's this about?"

Five minutes of demonstrations later...

The Captain, along with DeVeere and several guards led the Lore Knights to the Tower Of London. Prof Wynde could feel the magic getting stronger if that was possible.

"in here we 'ave some fancy weapons, but its all old stuff." said the Sergeant leading the group. "We can't let you in wi' the crown jewels or owt wi'out the King's permission."

Prof Wynde wasn't interested in gems (OOC I presume!). Instead he looked at a plain grey sword in a glass cabinet. It had wire wound around the pommel and looked dull, unloved. Nothing special.

It was the most powerful artefact Prof Wynde had encountered in his time as a member of OOP.

He was looking at the mythical sword EXCALIBUR!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Jun 24 2020, 23:07

'HOLY FREAKING GOD ALMIGHTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" he screams.

Prof. Wynde starts to drool and pant with almost orgasmic excitement, [but not really because we are shooting for PG-13 rating here, but close!] his face pressed up to the glass, his panting fogging it up somewhat, which he wipes away, circling the case to look at it from all sides, still pressed against the glass!

"Hey!  Hey!  Hey!  What's wrong with you," Wonderman calls out, jerking Prof. Wynde from the case.  "You are embarrassing us!  Settle down before I pop you one!"

ooc;  I assume you will let me take over Wonderman just enough here to keep going.   What a Face

He grabs Wonderman by the shoulders and says - OK, he SHOUTS -  "THAT'S EXCALIBUR!!!  THE REAL HONEST TO GOODNESS EXCALIBUR!!!!  KING ARTHUR'S SWORD!  ONE OF THE TWO EXCALIBURS ANYWAY!!"

Wonderman, true to his word, pops Prof. Wynde in the face, knocking him to the ground, where he rubs his jaw glaring at him and slowly recovering his more stately bearing.

"Sorry about that," Wonderman mumbles to everyone.  "He's usually more reserved than that."

"You settled down now?  And what do you mean one of two Excaliburs," he asks Prof. Wynde who has gotten up and started dusting himself off, still a bit read-faced.

"According to history or legend, there were at least two of them," he replies, now rubbing his jaw.  "The first was the one that was also known as the Sword in the Stone, that proved he was the rightful king.  The second was the one given to him by the Lady of the Lake.  There may have been a third but stories differ on that.  But that one there is the real deal!  The Real Excalibur!  Oh, we so need to take that with us!"

Prof. Wynde wasn't quite sure when he said that that he meant that they needed it or that he wanted it.    rabbit
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 25 2020, 10:59

Everyone looked in the glass case.

"It needs a polish and it doesn't look special." said Swashbuckler. "Maybe I can use it? I'm probably the greatest swordsman this world has ever seen." he said, modestly.

Wonder Man frowned, helping Prof Wynde up and dusting him off. "Sorry buddy, but you were kind of freaking everyone out. I guess... I guess we could try and use it..."

Faerie grew to normal size and pressed her hand against the glass. "Yes... it is one of the swords of power. Prof Wynde is right. However if the right person to wield it is not found, the power will instead corrupt the user and it will become less of a symbol and more of a killing thing, amplifying the users base instincts and lust for supremacy."

She blinked and turned about "I don't know how I know that. I am a librarian in my day job as Ka... wait. You said 'DeVeere did you not?" to the man from the ministry.

"Why yes." he replied. "I have a niece who would be about your age who is also a Librarian. She...Katheryn?" he gaped.

"Uncle Algernon? It's been years, and I didn't recognise... you have less hair now and..." she gasped.

Wonder Man winced. "So much for secret identities."

DeVeere gazed in wonder at his niece and turned to the guards. "You have all sworn an oath of secrecy on pain of death. You bear the mark of the Knights Ascendant?"

The soldiers suddenly stood to attention and all revealed on the inside of their wrist a cross/sword tatoo. The sergeant barked. "Unto death we serve and none shall divert us from the path of righteous justice and service to the true monarch of the British Isles, King Arthur Pendragon or his heirs."

"SO SAY WE ALL!" said the other guards.

"What about the King?" asked Swashbuckler of George VI.

"We guard the sword and the other accoutrements of fabled Arthur." said the Sergeant.

With the sword so close Prof Wynde hadn't realised, but now he looked on the guards in new eyes. They were magically enhanced.

"Remarkable." said DeVeere. "My predecessor passed on the knowledge he thought to be a fable, some old story, but it's true? This tarnished unloved weapon gathering dust IS Excalibur, or one of them? And my niece is here with... with supernatural abilities with like empowered people? What is going on? Something has changed, or will change to bring about such a series of events."

Wonder Man nodded "We thought the same. We beat off a bunch of Nazis supers, like us, only yesterday. Close run thing. We came here to offer our service and lives if necessary to protecting this country."

"But you're a yank!" said one of the soldiers. "They are staying out of the war aren't they?"

"Not all!" said Wonder Man. "I chose to fight alongside my friend here..." he said of Prof Wynde "Who I've only known for a couple of days but to whom I owe my life! If he's sticking around to help you, I figure I need to do the same until the Nazi threat is over, hopefully in a few months."

He glanced at Prof Wynde who gave a slight head shake. "Or maybe longer, depending."

DeVeere turned to the Sergeant. "This sword, what can it do?"

"In the right hands? Unite a nation, draw others to its cause, restore a feeling of hope and happiness to the land in the darkest hour. In the wrong hands? Corrupt, enslave, kill. The best defence is that no one knows about it. Our own order says we are to silence anyone who speaks of the sword but times change and we can't go lopping peoples heads off for chatting about it, so we discourage, discredit and generally keep away anyone who might have knowledge of the sword."

"But we all know now..." said Swashbuckler. "Do you mean..."

The Sergeant scowled. "I don't know. We WOULD know if you were evil. And you aren't. If you promise to shield the secret of the Tower of London we will know if you speak the truth."

Wonder Man shrugged. "I promise." Everyone else took their turn until Prof Wynde was looked at.

"We'll go from here direct to Number 10. The Prime Minister is a busy man but I feel that you people need to be made time for!" said DeVeere who looked down with a proud glance at his Niece, Katheryn who was the heroine Faerie.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jun 25 2020, 15:25

"We couldn't use it," Prof. Wynde interjects.  "I'm thinking it goes to the Earl, if we can find him and save him.  I think it is his sword.  That was our original goal, get to Churchill, get him to order to Earl home so he could get the powers he needs to lead the Lore Knights.  Wonderman and I are basically substitutes for him until he can lead the team. That's how important he is, it takes two of us to replace him."

"So ... secrets and more secrets to be kept by everyone.  I hope all of you have had some kind of mental training to help resist having your mind read.  Or can get that kind of training because mind readers do exist.  Anyway, off to the PM!"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jun 26 2020, 15:34

DeVeere arranged for a covered truck to transport them to Downing Street.

"Couldn't we just...?" asked Swashbuckler.

"No. I've not been there." said Faerie "and besides... we don't want to spring a surprise."

DeVeere agreed with his niece. "That's right. I'll probably have to interrupt meetings and risk a dressing down but this is important!"

The Truck pulled away and Prof Wynde looked at the guards, knowing they were more than mere soldiers. When within range of the sword they would be granted superior abilities making them better able to defend their charge... but still those nazis who attacked Caer Alwyn yesterday would be hard to deny....

Minutes later DeVeere hopped out of the back and spoke with soldiers at the end of Downing Street. The conversation got heated and DeVeere had to deny them looking in the back of the truck... Eventually he had to reluctantly peel back one cover to allow a Captain to peak inside.

"Hi." said Swashbuckler.

With a scowl the Captain waved the truck through and a minute later they were out in the street getting strange looks from the Soldiers on guard.

=========

"This is taking a while." said Wonder Man. "What if Churchill DOESN'T go for our offer? We go ahead and protect the country anyway?"

They'd been waiting an hour in a hallway and Swashbuckler paced up and down. "With our powers they couldn't stop us seeing the PM! We should demonstrate them and persuade them that way!"

Faerie scowled "Take arms against our own troops? Are you mad?"

Wonder Man stood "No one is going anywhere. We wait." He smiled at the two soldiers on guard watching them at all times.

Finally DeVeere, looking tried and frustrated, entered the hallway. "Follow me."

Through a maze of rooms and corridors DeVeere led the way and knocked on a door. A soldier opened it and stood aside. The room was long, lined with books on the wall and had a desk at the end. At the desk sat a man smoking a cigar who turned in his chair and leaned back. "This better be good DeVeere! I've cancelled two meetings and put some noses out of joint. There'd better be ..."

Professor Wynde issue #2 - Well, actually it's #1 with the LORE KNIGHTS and WONDERMAN! - Page 3 Churchill-2800x1440

He watched as Faerie shrank and started flying about the room, settling on the edge of his desk and looking up before speaking. "Prime Minister, we can be your new secret weapon against the Nazis! They have super agents capable of amazing, awful things... and we can fight them!"

Churchill got over his amazement pretty fast and looked over the group, eyes settling on Prof Wynde. "I'd judge you to be the leader here sir! Who are you, what can you do for your country and how did you get your amazing abilities... and your strange sense of style?"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Jun 26 2020, 15:51

"Prof. Wynde, Master of Mystic Air, at your service Prime Minister. This is Wonderman, an American Costumed Crimefighter or Superhero if you will, the little lady is Faerie and the gentleman in the Errol Flynn outfit is Swashbuckler. Together, we are the Lore Knights, a mystical organization that has been protecting the Land secretively for centuries."

"Wonderman and I are temporary members helping out until their appointed leader can join them. And that was the original reason for seeing you. What we found at the Tower of London is probably connected to that."

"Let me give you a quick rundown of what's been happening for the last few days. Following ...."

Basically, he tells of everyone being summoned to that little town in Wales, without naming secret IDs or mentioning that he and Wonderman are time travelers. The fight with the Nazis, the death of the old Earl and the need to bring the new Earl home, who is to be the true leader of the Lore Knights, and their decision to leave some members back "home" while the rest came here to see the PM.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jun 26 2020, 22:44

"Remarkable." muttered Churchill. "Yet the evidence is in front of my eyes."

Wonder Man shrugged "We are here for the good of the British people."

"But you're an American. What I would give if I were able to convince the Americans to join in the fight!" he added. "Roosevelt wants to but he's blocked at every turn by congress, I'm sure of it."

Carson shrugged. "THIS American will do all he can to keep your country safe sir. At home or abroad. And these people..." he said with a hand wave to Faerie, Swashbuckler and Prof Wynde "Have even more of a reason to protect their home. Keep us secret, send us on missions, parade us in front of the press, it's your call. Once word is out though... the world will never be the same again."

Churchill listened then nodded. "This man, this Reginald StJohn. A fighting man, doing his duty. You want me to pull him from the field and send him home?"

"He can do much much more as a Lore Knight!" said Faerie. "He needs to take his rightful place to lead us. Not that Prof Wynde and Wonderman aren't doing an amazing job!" she added hastily.

Churchill raised an eyebrow and glanced at Wonder Man who was grinning from ear to ear whilst Faerie blushed.

"Yes, yes, they are fabulous but really I think you should be putting us on the first boat to France and we'll give the hun what for!" said Swashbuckler. "The war will be over before teatime!" he laughed.

"This will take careful planning. DeVeere." said Churchill.

DeVeere sat up "Sir?"

"You are the liaison between the Lore Knights and me. All your other duties you can run or defer to someone else as you see fit. This... these... remarkable young people will be a resource that needs carefully managing, to strike like a surgeons scalpel when the time is right. Wear your masks, be a mystery to the people. Not only will it protect your loved ones but it will distract the people. Make no mistake. This war will be long and hard, and the nation needs something to distract them. Mystery Men - and Women - who will act as heroes, role models, a beacon of hope when the night is darkest and there seems no way out."

He turned to his desk and opened a folder. "I got this yesterday. Hours into the job and we already have a problem up in Scotland. Something about dark magic, would you believe? I couldn't believe it, dismissed it as a flight of fancy. Until this moment. Your first mission as the LORE KNIGHTS should be to go to the North of Scotland to a quiet fishing village on the island of Na h-Eileanan an Iar off the west coast of Scotland. Nothing has been heard from the island in over 24 hours. It's gone... 'dark'. The Nazis are up to something, I'm sure of it. It won't be mumbo jumbo, but some plot. If they establish a hidden base they can strike with impunity on the mainland. Sneak round the back so to say."

"Find out what happened Lore Knights. Save the people, smash the Nazi base then get back here as quick as you can. I have a very, very bad feeling about what's happening in France." he said, looking out of the window. "We may soon be looking at Britains darkest hour. You few may be the beacon of hope that the nation needs to get it through."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Jun 27 2020, 00:14

"We will gather the rest of the team and go as quick as we can, Prime Minister," Prof. Wynde says.  "Two things though.  First, you have Excalibur in the Tower of London.  I may be wrong but I believe the new Earl is to be the next owner of that fabulous sword.  So when he returns, see if it allows him to take it.  Second ... perhaps some sort of documents or letter stating we are on the King's Business and all aid should be rendered? That will keep delays from various police and military sorts who want to take us in for questioning from happening."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jun 27 2020, 09:45

"Yessss." said Churchill, considering. He pursed his lips, frowning, and looked at those gathered in the room. "Trust, gentlemen and lady, is what it comes down to. I have seen your powers, your abilities and your willingness to use them."

"Now the trust shall go both ways. We trust you with a free rein, but I ... and DeVeere here, need to know who you are behind the mask. We will then arrange for you to have Free Access to any site that requires you to operate. That Free Access shall be upgraded to the Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace when required. We can't just let anyone do that though. What's to stop some johnny come lately slapping a mask on and claiming to be you? A fine actor would have us all fooled. There has to be something else, some question we can ask, and we need to know about you for that. Discretion shall be assured I can guarantee. We need this for peace of mind. I have a feeling in the days to come the enemy will use all means at their disposal including deception. If we knew enough about you... full name, date of birth, first pets name and the like, a simple question shall reveal the truth."

Wonder Man shrugged, stepping forward. "Shucks, I'm fine with that. I'm Fred Carson, radio engineer and sometime reporter. Or I was. I haven't been to work in so long they probably forgot all about me." said Fred, taking his all concealing domino mask off.

DeVeere took a pen and paper. He wrote TOP SECRET LEVEL A1 ONLY on it. "I'll ensure that your details do not have the word 'Wonder Man' on it. No one will make the connection Mr Carson."

Fred outlined details giving his name, date of birth, schooling, family details (though not address), pets, hobbies, specific memorable events and so on. It took some time and DeVeere sagged back into a chair. "Phew! How many of you lot did you say there were?"

Swashbuckler turned to Prof Wynde "Hmmmm. I dunno Boss. You said we were to keep everything a secret now we're trusting people with everything about us?"

Faerie, normal sized, stepped up "My Uncle Algernon is an honourable man! And Mr Churchill seems like a decent sort."

Churchill spoke up "I understand your reluctance and can I iterate it is VITAL you keep your identities a secret. Loved ones cannot know who you are or what you are doing or they will be targeted! It is of PARAMOUNT importance that you keep your masks on and play the role it seems you were born to. Without the mask, enjoy yourselves, live your lives as best you can in these dark times. But the identity cards and papers that we issue as a result of what we have done today mean several things."

"First, you will not be drafted. You are on the Crowns business at all times, accessible 24/7 and no authority in the land can question that or override it except mine and the Kings. Second, you will have free access in your civilian and supernatural identities. You flash that card which will be issued and anyone who questions it will be advised in a most brusque manner to get the hell out of your way!" he bellows. "Third, as an employee of the crown you will receive a place to live or stay anywhere in the United Kingdom. The crown shall foot the bill. Funds will be made available to you in the form of salary and an expenses account."

"Huh." said Swashbuckler. "Free drinks and betting?"

"Be mindful, young man, that you serve at the Kings pleasure. I would expect no one to abuse the trust that we give to you. That said, even when there is rationing going on you will be afforded the finest the Crown can afford, which is fine indeed. You risk your lives for the Crown in a way that no one could ever have envisaged. You may be the most powerful, most important people to have EVER stepped foot on the British Isles and so it is reasonable you are rewarded as such. How you spend your money is up to you. In peacetime you would be rich with the money you will be paid. Be mindful that your cover story shall be that you are civil servants  seconded for the duration of the war, and that you are no longer employed by any previous employers. Letters shall be arranged to avoid unpleasantness, with my signature and the stamp of the crown."

"Finally should you require it, you shall employ the services of the SOE as required. The Special Operations Executive is something not yet in existence but soon to be set up and run by the Minister for Economic Warfare Hugh Dalton. None shall know of it but they are the most highly trained operatives skilled in many different areas and that includes disguise. If..." he turned to Fred "Mr Carson was expected in a place and had to be somewhere else as Wonder Man, that can be arranged with a double, for instance."

He turned to Prof Wynde. "As the leader of this group the final say belongs to you. To help you, you need to help us. Together we shall ensure that the country gets the heroes it needs at the times it needs them, without you having to explain to nosy people why you dashed away and Wonder Man appeared moments later, for example."

"Be aware, lady and gentlemen, that you will face powers and situations no ordinary person can face. You will risk your lives, possibly even your immortal souls, for I fear if we have you... then the enemy ranged against us has more."

Wonder Man glanced at Prof Wynde "He doesn't know the half of it!"

Churchill raised an eyebrow.

"Meaning to say the people we have faced already can punch a hole in the thickest armour, fly through the air like bullets and blast targets from range with death rays from their eyes!" said Wonder Man hastily.

Churchill turned to Prof Wynde. "We need this to move forward sir. What say you?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Jun 27 2020, 14:31

Prof. Wynde becomes visibly uncomfortable.

"Mister Prime Minister, you have hit upon the very problem superheroes have faced over the decades.  How much trust to put into Government.  You will not have that seat forever, and your replacements will not always be good men or women.  Everyone has agendas.  Even those servants of the Crown such as DeVeere here can be corrupted or worse, can be agents of a foreign power who infiltrated the various agencies, the Soviet Union being the most successful at that.  I've warned the others of this before.  By the way, I am not saying DeVeere is corrupted but those who replace him can be."

"I speak like I know it will happen because I am from the 21st Century and I've read of these things.  Seen them happen.  I am back here in time due to events beyond my control.  And no, I won't tell you of events to happen because that could change the time line and lots of people could cease to exist.  So I am thinking beyond the war but to the future once the needs of the war is over."

He pulls some money of his time period out of his wallet, insta-changing if he needs to to access his wallet, coins and paper and gives to over for everyone to examine.  Then back to Prof. Wynde.

"I believe I will eventually make it back to my time period so I am not too worried about threats to any family I may have as I do not have any in this time, unless you count great-grand or grandparents, who have no idea I exist or will exist and I do not know where they live at present."

"I do not believe we should have or need such a high level authorization at this time.  Some sort of "Do Not Detain, King's Business" paper or letter would be enough, not a "Render All Aid, No Questions Asked" kind of authority.  If we need access to some government facility, secret or otherwise, then perhaps contacting DeVeere or his designated aides would be enough, having him be our liaison to you and the rest of the government."

"As for avoiding military services , I was thinking instead that when the Earl returns, he could form his own special forces regiment, commandos if you will, and we could join it.  I understand he is quite wealthy and could afford to outfit such a regiment.  Maybe call it the Blackhawks Regiment or the Howling Commandos?  We could be a special unit, call it Easy Company for now, within his special regiment who are kept mostly away from the others, so our identities would be still mostly secret, and gives us proper uniformed identities when out and about. We could even have new identities set up for our military service.  It could be allowed to be hinted or rumored that our unit within the special regiment is being trained to go behind enemy lines to stay as spies and saboteurs, which is why we stay away from the others and explains an American and a couple of women in the unit.  Or the ladies could be listed as civilian auxiliaries who could be there to train us in special subjects - language, culture, whatever or just our designated Canteen Girls, while other Canteen Girls work for the rest of the regiment.   That way even any government paper trail of us would be hidden among all the other folks involved in the regiment.  Best way I can think of to keep our identities secret without only a few select people in government knowing either who we are or how to contact us."

He shrugs.

"That's my original idea.  And having one of DeVeere's most trusted people at the Blackhawks facility to render aid might work out as well, either a low ranking officer who works the office more or less anonymous in the background  or a high ranking officer who could order most of the troops around.  We could place the Blackhawks Regiment in Wales since that is where the Earl is from.  As I said, original idea, not sure what works best for now and would work best for after the war."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jun 28 2020, 23:20

Churchill frowned. "Then we are at an impasse sir. Without the means of establishing identity I cannot allow you to free roam as that would open ourselves up to to spies and traitors."

He sighed. "I will think on this. Do you see where I'm coming from? With your fabulous abilities you would be a huge asset and even perhaps vital to the war effort. If I cannot persuade you to reveal what you know I must respect that, but think on this... if you are captured might the Nazis find out what you know through torture? Every man... even a Wonder Man... has their limits."

Wonder Man nodded "I didn't think I had any until yesterday. Boy was that a wake up call."

OOC All this stuff was a big issue in WWII...

Professor Wynde issue #2 - Well, actually it's #1 with the LORE KNIGHTS and WONDERMAN! - Page 3 Bigot

Swashbuckler mutters "So where does this leave us? Sidelined whilst our boys go battle the hun in France? Super powers or no I'm starting to think I need to sign up to fight and get over there!"

Wonder Man spoke up "You're inexperienced! You'll get shot to pieces on a battlefield!"

"Oh yeah? How much experience have YOU had on a battlefield, huh yank?" snarled Swashbuckler.

"Well actually on my first mission I stopped a civil war!" declared Wonder Man.

"ENOUGH!" shouted Churchill. "Let's not fall out. Please reconsider Prof Wynde. I want to use you but we need the security blanket of knowing certain specific things about you. Things that a Nazi impersonator would not, could not possibly know. Things from your history that we can ask at random and gain that assurance we need... otherwise how can we trust you? You wear masks, come and go..." he sighed.

DeVeere looked about "The PM is right on this one. I know who Faerie is and much of her background but I cannot, will not reveal to anyone those details unless Faerie herself hands them over. Even to you sir." he said to Churchill. "Sorry. If it means anything you can have my resignation."

"Oh don't be a fool DeVeere! I need every good head on a pair of shoulders around me and none come steadier than yours! You stay put." He sighed again, rubbed his eyes and glanced out the window. "I need to stand firm on this." he said to Prof Wynde. "Act in an official manner with full trust and disclosure to me and DeVeere... or submit to the draft and do your duty as enlisted men and women. That's it."

Swashbuckler pulled a face and turned away. Faerie sighed and looked at the floor. Wonder Man put his mask back on and turned to Prof Wynde. "Until such time as Reginald StJohn is installed as the Earl, you are the leader of the Lore Knights Prof. What you decide... I'll go along with. If it means that we cannot operate I will consider enlisting or fighting abroad as my superhuman self. I'm not a British citizen but I am on your side. Until such time as my country wakes up and smells the coffee I will fight against the nazis wherever they may be, in any capacity I can to help. I see both points of view, and both make valid arguments. I get it. What I can't do is make the decision. That's all your buddy, and for us to follow."

"You won't consider coming to work for me directly?" asked Churchill.

"No sir. Prof Wynde is my leader and my friend. He wants nothing but the safety and well being of this country. He knows things that no one else in this room knows, including me. Because of the risk of changing history he can never reveal those things. If he decides the group signs up to your offer, all well and good. If he decides we leave here this day and do our won thing... well sir all due respect but there is nothing the British Army could do to stop us and if the British people find out about us you lose all chance of guiding us to do your bidding."

Chruchill frowned. "Sounds like a threat young man."

"I'm sorry if it does, but I'm frustrated. We want to be everything the country needs and deserves, but it seems red tape and procedure might snarl things up. Maybe we are better off being free agents and ..."

He paused as Churchill held a hand up. "...as a free agent you COULD do some good... but what if someone turns up in a red costume and robs a bank? Or a mask and black suit and is seen climbing from a window stealing state secrets?" he said to Swashbuckler. "It might not be you. It might be you. We won't know and the British People will quickly make up their own minds. I'm offering state sanctioned carefully managed leadership. The press will only know what we want them to know. You will have resources., targets, a plan. Everything will be stamped and signed by me or DeVeere and no one else. Any documents we have on you will be of your civilian identities and no links will be hinted at as to who you are when wearing the mask. We can give you a new codename or costume every mission, every week if we have to! Let the nazis find out who Swashbuckler is! The next week you could be... the Crimson Bucaneer!"

"I like the sound of that." said Swashbuckler. "And I'll look great in red!"

Faerie rolled her eyes. She turned to DeVeere. "I hope you understand but whatever Prof Wynde decides will be my final decision. Where he and Wonder Man are, I'll be." She nodded to Prof Wynde and glanced at Wonder Man, shyly.

Swashbuckler frowned. "I'm... undecided."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Jun 29 2020, 02:20

*SIGH*  "I'm sorry Prime Minister, I was hoping we could work at some minimal level with the government with minimal red tape.  It seems it isn't so.  Let me make it clear, sir, the Lore Knights did not choose to become who they are, the Land found them worthy to be who they are, not the Government.  So we cannot be bound by the Government.  I ask that you do your best to bring the new Earl back so the Land can give him the power the Land feels he needs.  You can try to convince him otherwise when he returns and gains his powers and knowledge of his duties to the Land.  In return, we will go to this place in Scotland and see what needs to be done there."

"After that, we will just merge back into the background and rely on the Land to keep our secrets safe and have no truck with the Government, while I am leader.  It is your thinking, minimal as it is now, that led or leads some decades in the future, to government supervised Superheroes needing to fill out forms in triplicate and get approval from over 7 levels of superiors, and the forms had to be returned if there was even one little misplace comma in the forms and redone and re-approved, before they could be allowed to go out and save people from a burning building, resulting in loss of life and destruction of property, as it would all be over before they got the approval to act.  And that is no exaggeration.  It happened many times."

"If any of our members wish to join the military under their own identities, I will not say them nay, as long as they keep their Lore Knight identity a secret from most.  I remind them that they must respect the secrets of their fellow Lore Knights.  I also remind them that the Land will summon them when it needs them and they will either answer that summons or not, and if they answer, try to come up with a way to excuse their absences while in uniform.  The Land may find them no longer worthy and strip them of their powers and they can do less for their country then if they do not answers the summons.  There are other Lore Knights not present, we will present your case and mine to them and allow them to make their own choices."  

He looks at each member of the Lore Knights present, smiles and nods to everyone in the room and turns to leave.

"Farewell, sir.  I will not bother you again."

With that Prof. Wynde turns and starts walking out the door with whoever wants to leave with him.

ooc:  That's so cool about BIGOT, I never knew that.

This action by Prof. Wynde may split the Lore Knights either until the new Earl comes back and takes control or until after the War.  Not sure, will have to see where it goes.

He is hoping the Land will send us to Dunkirk or wherever nearby, IF the Earl needs to be saved, if he isn't brought home where Churchill, if he is smart, may try to persuade the new actual leader of the Lore Knights to see things his way.
And we may not get to Scotland as the Land may send us elsewhere so ... ARGGGHHHH!!!!!
Kind of cool!    confused

But regardless, Churchill now knows of superheroes and knows they are around, someplace.  The public, will probably become very supportive of superheroes ... soon.  I'm thinking when the Blitz starts up and moves from attacking airfields and military bases to bombing London and other cities and the people see men and women flying in the skies smashing German planes out of the skies, that's when they will finally become popular.  According to a search on Goggle, they start bombing London and the other cities starting in Sept, 1940 and continue until May.

The Blitz was something Oliver didn't feel he should tell Churchill was coming because of time travel stuff and interfering with history too much.  Churchill may move more anti-aircraft weapons to London, start blackouts sooner, maybe encourage folks to get their kids away sooner, resulting in more lives saved in England and more German airrmen killed or captured, which would change history in such a way that Prof. Wynde's time might not exist anymore.  Maybe even change the outcome of the War, maybe Hitler would order that invasion of England it such a thing occurred.  

Man!  Time Travel can be such a downer!  Save Lives!  Change Time!  No wonder Dr. Who never talks much about previous companions or goes to see them once they leave the Tardis.  study
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jun 29 2020, 10:41

OOC We're into territory never really played before in our campaign, with extensive interaction with historical (real) figures. I'm enjoying it and I suspect given diplomats/politicians fascination with red tape and maintaining some form of control it's how things may well turn out in 'real life' with actual superheroes. We'll never know, but for now...

Churchill frowned, containing his anger. "I feel you are making a mistake sir! When you leave this room how can I know you are ... you... and not some Nazi spy? Do you see where I am coming from? You possess powers and abilities that could save lives and want instead to gallivant about in your pyjamas whilst honest ordinary men and women lay down their lives to protect this country! You say the Land chose you as its protector? What point protection if the people speak German, or work in concentration camps? Pahh! You have your viewpoint, I have mine. Get you gone sir and take your freak show with you." he turned and swept papers from the desk in a fit of anger.

DeVeere stepped forward "Sir, if I may..."

"Go DeVeere. You are the architect of my anger and I don't want to see you until I cool or I shall speak out of turn and you and I have long had a great working relationship. Just go." said Churchill, looking out of the window.

Wonder Man opened the door and let Faerie out before turning to Swashbuckler. "Are you coming?" he asked.

"No I'm not." said Swashbuckler. "Don't worry, I won't reveal who you are or any state secrets. I will serve the country in a way that I see fit, and I will speak to Mr Churchill if he will listen..."

OOC You may want to add something to that. If not...

DeVeere led them out into the street. "I appreciate your trying Professor Wynde. Please understand that the Prime Minister has the weight of the world on his shoulders and he may come around to your way of thinking. Here." he handed a card. "I believe the notion of a state sponsored team of super naturals is viable but if not, I have contacts and resources that may at some point be useful. Look after my niece." he turned to Faerie, noting that soldiers were nearby. "Look after yourselves, all of you. Without the backing of the government you may all find you are effectively draft dodgers and breaking the law, as daft as that sounds. I wish we could have made something of this, but it seems too far a gap to bridge."

DeVeere nodded respects to Wonder Man and made his way along the street whilst soldiers gathered around the group of three, making it clear in no uncertain terms they were to leave Downing Street. Wonder Man glanced about. "Well that could have gone better." he muttered. He nodded to Faerie and turned to Prof Wynde. "Let's gather our thoughts on a rooftop."

He leapt up and over the buildings of Downing street gathering gasps from the soldiers whilst Faerie shrunk and started to fly after him and with a gesture Prof Wynde gathered a cyclone to lift him up and away, all the while being followed by rifles!

=========

"So, we're a man down, there's something going on in Scotland and we're practically outlaws in the country we are here to protect. Is there anything I've missed? Oh yeah, I told Churchill and DeVeere who I am behind the mask. Bit hasty that but i have to trust they won't act on that information." said Wonder Man.

"I think we can trust Uncle Algie. He knows who I am too." said Faerie.

"Problem is if we annoy Churchill he can turn public opinion away from us if we're not careful. Every time we turn up there may be flaming brands and pitchforks, not to mention shotguns and guard dogs set on us." said Wonder Man. "Maybe... maybe it's time to consider a change of tack. A unified look, new codenames... I could be... 'Battling Yank' or 'US Avenger' or some such as my accent gives things away somewhat. Dye my hair, full face mask whatever. Maybe we should all wear Khaki green? What do you think Prof? Maybe that's the way forward with Churchill? Give him information from our private lives but not enough to endanger loved ones and put aside our super identities we wear at the moment. You could be... Cyclone man or twister or something." he looked at Faerie. "You could be... Blue Belle or Tiny Gal or something." he grinned.

Faerie chuckled but looked troubled. "I can't believe Marcus left us. I hope he doesn't do something stupid."

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Jun 29 2020, 15:33

"Problem is if we annoy Churchill he can turn public opinion away from us if we're not careful. Every time we turn up there may be flaming brands and pitchforks, not to mention shotguns and guard dogs set on us." said Wonder Man. "Maybe... maybe it's time to consider a change of tack. A unified look, new codenames... I could be... 'Battling Yank' or 'US Avenger' or some such as my accent gives things away somewhat. Dye my hair, full face mask whatever. Maybe we should all wear Khaki green? What do you think Prof? Maybe that's the way forward with Churchill? Give him information from our private lives but not enough to endanger loved ones and put aside our super identities we wear at the moment. You could be... Cyclone man or twister or something." he looked at Faerie. "You could be... Blue Belle or Tiny Gal or something." he grinned.

Faerie chuckled but looked troubled. "I can't believe Marcus left us. I hope he doesn't do something stupid."

"He was given the option," Prof. Wynde says with a shrug. "I'm just temporary leader after all. And he was warned, do not support the Land and the Land won't support him. And I think we all truly understand the desire to "DO SOMETHING" in this crisis. If he had been a Lore Knight longer with more experience he might have chosen differently. We will just have to hope for the best and wish him well. Besides, I think he feels he has something to prove after his powers failed him the other day. A chip on his shoulder you may say."

"And as for you, Wonderman, I wouldn't worry too much about your secret ID. After all, you have been missing for 6 months or more. We may have to come up with another American ID for you to run around England with though."

"Hmmm ... if I can remember where OOP operates out of or where one of my old teachers resides at this time, we may be able to get them to help us for things like ID."

"And while Churchill may try to turn the forces of the Government and the people against us, in time, things will happen that will change the people's minds. After all, war is a constant state of flux and no plan survives contact with the enemy."

"I was probably wrong to try and reach some kind of agreement with Churchill, always wanted to meet the man though. The Lore Knights have always operated in the shadows for centuries and through many other wars. Maybe I should have left it that way? But this war is a bit different with outside influences on it that shouldn't be here."

ooc: Unless there is an OOP outpost or teacher that he can remember is in London, he will continue as below. Mages due tend to live a few centuries after all, if they don't die in battle. If he can remember one, then he will suggest heading there first.

"So, unless someone has something that they need to do here in London, let's head back to the others and give them our report."

ooc: It wasn't written in his origin but he received his training at some place near the Scottish border, that had been England's main base of operations for the last few decades. Never did decide which side of the border the place was at. "Main base" being 4-8 mages living in some place where they can teach newbies the beginnings of magic. Maybe some remote farmhouse or manor-house or something similar.

I do know that prior to World War 2, their main base was in London, some old mansion owned by some noble who was a member but that they moved away from London shortly after the war began. So maybe the main base is still in London or maybe it isn't. They could have used the power of a seer for foreknowledge to see the bombings of London and so they may have already moved north or they move after the bombing of London starts. He wouldn't know that as dates weren't too specific in his magic history of OOP classes or he wasn't paying that much attention to it. rabbit

So it may be at Cambridge or Leeds or York as those three were mentioned in class as to old bases for OOP, if they still aren't in London. I'll leave that up to you.

ooc2: Also fun interacting with Churchill. I think it is a good thing he got angry and "threw us out" because if he had been thinking more clearly, if I was him, then I would have gone with Wynde's idea of a commando unit formed by the Earl. Then I would have placed intelligence folk amongst the support staff, including pretty young single ladies who would have lent sympathetic ears to any Lore Knight that wanted to talk, maybe even becoming their girlfriends, especially trying to become the girlfriends to the three time travelers, to learn what they knew about the war. And our youngest time traveler would have been the most susceptible to that kind of thing. Wonderman has his own girlfriend with Faerie and Oliver would have waited to find out if he was stuck in the 40s or was going to get back to the 21st Century before becoming that involved with someone.

I didn't even think of the above until last night.

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jun 29 2020, 23:30

Prof Wynde thought for a moment. There was a network of people the OOP called upon in every town and city.

Ordinary people paid to keep an eye out for anything strange, any key words or circumstances. Most of the time there was nothing. The people would take a couple of pounds, a business card and that would be that.

Every now and again something would turn up, a call would be made and leads followed up. The network would simply pass information on that would be checked out. 99% of the leads were nothing. 1% of the time it would turn out to be more than nothing, but in most cases ended up with nothing.

Then a fraction of those 1% leads would lead to a child who could predict the weather, or a certain neighbourhood where all the inhabitants seemed immune to the measles which were doing the rounds, or a building renovation would unearth an artefact.

Prof Wynde considered. Who would be useful in London with their ear to the floor, picking up details, gossip, their ears to the ground and ready to place a call to the OOP number? That would lead him to how to contact OOP in this time zone. Otherwise he could randomly ask at every mansion within 50 miles and get a "Clear orrrff before I set the dogs on you!" from the upper crust twit owner.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Jun 29 2020, 23:58

Prof Wynde considered. Who would be useful in London with their ear to the floor, picking up details, gossip, their ears to the ground and ready to place a call to the OOP number? That would lead him to how to contact OOP in this time zone. Otherwise he could randomly ask at every mansion within 50 miles and get a "Clear orrrff before I set the dogs on you!" from the upper crust twit owner.

ooc: And they most definitely would have their base shielded so it and everyone in it couldn't be detected by magic.

"Wait a minute! The museum! Our best bet for me to find an OOP contact would either be the British Museum or the Natural Museum. And the British Library would be a third choice," he said suddenly, just before he was going to ask Faerie to take them back to the Lore Knight base. "Which one is closet and can we see it from up here? If we can, we can have Faerie teleport us. If not, I guess I can fly Wonderman and myself there."

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 30 2020, 19:43

Wonderman shrugged. "I'd have thought cabbies and news venders the obvious choice."

Faerie frowned. "We need to find the place. So... you come from the future. Are these people likely to want to speak to you?"

Prof Wynde was too busy scouring the city and was trying to pick out a large grand building with columns out front. Faerie vanished... Wonder Man spun, looking for her... Then she reappeared in civilian clothing. "I asked someone."

Prof Wynde glanced down from where he hovered in the air and looked the way that she pointed.

=========

The trio stood on a rooftop overlooking the Museum across the road.

Professor Wynde issue #2 - Well, actually it's #1 with the LORE KNIGHTS and WONDERMAN! - Page 3 Museum

Wonder Man sighed. "I'll have to stay out the way. I can't change costume like you guys can. No problem, I'll watch outside for trouble."

Faerie pulled a face. "You know, it might have been shut since the start of the war. There may be no one in there, though I suspect they are doing their best to pack things up in case they need to be moved and stored somewhere."

OOC Go in as Prof Wynde or Oliver Smith? Or find a back way and pop a lock or two?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jun 30 2020, 20:10

"Let's play this a bit subtle," Prof. Wynde says then alights on the ground, turning into Oliver Smith. "By that, I mean we two will go in peacefully, if it is open and then I will use a bit of magic ... subtly ... and that ought to get the attention of anyone who is a mage, if they are in there."

ooc: The plan, if it gets passed going through the front door, is to cast just the smallest bit of wind inside, basically a small gentle breeze blowing through the building's first floor, without making it obvious visually that he is causing a breeze. By most, it could be mistaken as wind coming through open windows. No air conditioning for the place back then, I'm guessing, so windows would be open some place.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 30 2020, 22:01

The place was locked up and Katheryn muttered "If we can find a window around the back or on the roof I can teleport us inside without having to break in."

Minutes later they were in.

Having flown up to the roof and to a window Katheryn teleported them both inside. instantly she gasped. "The place is half empty! I suppose if the Nazis bomb London this stuff is irreplaceable."

Their voices echoed in the empty halls as they walked about and Prof Wynde summoned up a vortex to swirl about...

Always sensing magic he could sense Wonder Man outside across the street, Katheryn beside him and...

...and someone else.

He turned, seeing only more halls, shadows and stacked boxes. Was someone in here with them? He sensed magic again... Nothing. Ok now that WAS weird. It was almost as if someone knew he was using his Magic Sense then was able to somehow block his sense. He knew that was possible* but as a relative newcomer to OOP he wasn't privy to the secrets of that spell.

Prof Wynde frowned. Was that a friend or foes out there... in here with them? This was a huge place, lots of hiding places.

"What is it?" asked Katheryn. She concentrated.

OOC Adrenaline Surge 9 + Roll(2d12)+0: 5,4,+0 Total:9 (18) vs
AV1 + Roll(2d12)+0: 7,10,+0 Total:17 (18) EV9 vs RV1=8RAPs. Detect Evil is boosted to 9.
AV9 + Roll(2d12)+0: 6,5,+0 Total:11 (20) vs
OV8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 1,12,+0 Total:13 (21) Attempt Failed.

"Huh. Nothing. Is something wrong?" she whispered, her voice carrying through the halls.

*OOC it stands to reason there must be some sort of way to block attempts to detect characters with magical abilities is they are powerful enough to resist the sense. I was thinking...

MAGIC BLANK
Mystical Power
Link: Spirit
Base Cost: 5
Range: Self
Type: Auto/Dice
Factor Cost: 3

By default Magic Sense is an automatic power. Magic Blank blocks attempts to automatically detect the magical nature/abilities of the user by making a Magic Sense attempt a dice action on the character using Magic Sense as AV/EV and Infl/Spirit as OV/RV with Magic Blank added to the RV of the user. If the character with Magic Sense gets one or more RAPs they are able to detect the character with Magic Blank if they have any mystical abilities other than Magic Blank.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jun 30 2020, 23:21

"Huh. Nothing. Is something wrong?" she whispered, her voice carrying through the halls.

*OOC it stands to reason there must be some sort of way to block attempts to detect characters with magical abilities is they are powerful enough to resist the sense. I was thinking...

MAGIC BLANK
Mystical Power
Link: Spirit
Base Cost: 5
Range: Self
Type: Auto/Dice
Factor Cost: 3

By default Magic Sense is an automatic power. Magic Blank blocks attempts to automatically detect the magical nature/abilities of the user by making a Magic Sense attempt a dice action on the character using Magic Sense as AV/EV and Infl/Spirit as OV/RV with Magic Blank added to the RV of the user. If the character with Magic Sense gets one or more RAPs they are able to detect the character with Magic Blank if they have any mystical abilities other than Magic Blank.

ooc: The factor cost of 3 makes it higher than the FC for Magic Sense. I would put them equal then it is just a matter of lvl vs lvl and dice rolls for the same costs. But a cool new power. Wonder why they never came up with it in any of their versions?

"There is someone here," he tells her, instantly changing back into Prof. Wynde since it appears they are alone except for that quick sense of magic he got.

"HELLO?" he calls out loudly, "I'm an OOPS Mage looking for assistance! I really hope you are not a Nazi Mage come here to try to steal some mystical tomes or something as that would be really embarrassing after I just called out like that!"

"Go get Wonderman and tell him to standby. Get him to a window or something where he can see what's happening ... just in case," he whispers to Faerie.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jul 01 2020, 10:40

OOC I did look at FC1 and it makes sense but Mind Blank is FC4 and I based off that -1. We've touched on it before. Magic Sense essentially renders secret identities and the ability to hide as null and void with an automatic action within range revealing who/what was magic within range. Can't be good. The alternative is turning Magic Sense into a dice action vs Infl/Spirit and for nerfing it give a +3 bonus to range, say.

Katheryn looks about with wide, scared eyes and nods to Prof Wynde. She vanishes!

OOC Roll(2d12)+0: 12,4,+0 Total:16 +ASurge 9 (25) vs Roll(2d12)+0: 12,10,+0 Total:22 +Teleport 1 (23) +2 (to 11) vs 1=10RAPs. Teleportation to 11. Success.

Prof Wynde moves slowly to see if light from the skylights will reveal some more of the shadows in this great grand place. Without lights on it was dark and creepy, with columns, statues and boxes casting shadows everywhere.

Suddenly a voice cracked the silence.

"OOPs mage." it said, crisp clean voice unmarred by an accent.

"Assistance... you say."

There was no telling quite where it was coming from.

Prof Wynde peered into the dark. He sensed again...

OOC Executive (not a Lore Knight. Sorry, I'll get my coat) decision! Right then we will turn MAGIC SENSE into a dice action (it's cheap enough) when detecting creatures or items that have a soul. In other words Infl/Aura/Spirit of 1 or more complete with a range modifier so the further away they are the trickier it is. If you are ok with that I will add it to the house rules as 'Magic Blank' is too expensive and no one would ever use it anyway. No powers block the magic sense attempt (magic Field/Shield) because they would be magical themselves and thus able to be detected.

This means anyone tracking Prof Wynde does NOT automatically do so with a simple use of their hand 'mage tracker' device bought for 10HP!

Prof Wynde uses Magic Sense 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 2,11,+0 Total:13 (23) vs
OV9 + range 2 + Roll(2d12)+0: 10,2,+0 Total:12 (23) EV10 vs RV10=0RAPs. Failed, by the smallest of margins!

"You are looking aren't you?" echoed the voice. It could be around Prof anywhere. This place echoed like a cave! "I can tell you are frightened, little man."

"Shall I give you a clue? You were too... disciplined... to detect. No, it was one of your companions who I first sensed. One of the buffoons you align yourself with." said the creepy voice. "Magic! Such power! And in the hands of those least able to appreciate it's potency! I myself am part of an organisation. First, though, since you are struggling to find me... perhaps we should meet!"

Professor Wynde issue #2 - Well, actually it's #1 with the LORE KNIGHTS and WONDERMAN! - Page 3 Doctor-Power-char-pic-final

From the shadows near the ceiling drifting a floating figure in the air!

"Seeing as you have... revealed... yourselves to the mortal fools, you have accelerated my plans! I shall give you one chance only to surrender your power to me!" snarled the man in the mask.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Jul 01 2020, 11:50

"Seeing as you have... revealed... yourselves to the mortal fools, you have accelerated my plans! I shall give you one chance only to surrender your power to me!" snarled the man in the mask.

"Um ... no thanks. I like my power just fine. So I take it you are an enemy come to steal magic for yourself? May I have your name? I'm Prof. Wynde."

He raises his Magic Shield up and prepares for battle.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next