The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Professor Wynde issue #2 - Well, actually it's #1 with the LORE KNIGHTS and WONDERMAN!

2 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Professor Wynde issue #2 - Well, actually it's #1 with the LORE KNIGHTS and WONDERMAN! - Page 6 Empty Re: Professor Wynde issue #2 - Well, actually it's #1 with the LORE KNIGHTS and WONDERMAN!

Post  Admin Fri Jul 17 2020, 13:04

OOC Agreed on the who's who. I did do a who's who years ago which got updated (the UKChampions one more recently) but it's woefully out of date.

Would also be a useful reference for me as I like to reuse bad guys/good guys. Some have been used since day one (Yeoman) dating back to Golden Heroes days (along with Wandafar, Nowhere Man who was Wraith and Justin St Johns etc). Stats for some of these guys are lacking I'll admit (though I'm sure I have Yeoman in GH and DC).

I will start with the write ups of the Lore Knights. I had no idea if the idea would 'stick' with you (after all you are the only PC in that game so if you wanted to go solo they might be a passing fad...) Maybe if one of the others wanted to take up one of those characters...?

I think Dave E has enough on his plate at the moment but he is so reliable/prolific (as you are) that I may be wrong. Not sure if Patrick (who runs Kid Kinetic) is interested in taking on another character. We'll see when Kid Kinetics first issue is complete and go from there.

I'm mindful of the time it takes to update posts and juggle so many storylines in the air and also the delays that can crop up if someone can't post as fast as the fastest guys which can lead to problems and even kill games so a minimum post/day (on weekdays) may have to be arranged but that's not an issue right now.

Prof Wynde concentrates...

OOC Magic Sense 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 2,10,+0 Total:12 (22) vs

Various OVs...

OV6 + Range 7 (1/8 mile) + Roll(2d12)+0: 1,8,+0 Total:9 (22) 10EV vs RV6=4 raps success. Pretty close.

OV10 + Range 9 + Roll(2d12)+0: 3,12,+0 Total:15 (34) failed

Automatically find...

An artefact approximately half a mile away (9aps)

Prof Wynde steps out of the room and onto the battlements of the Castle, looking in the direction of the magic source. The others followed, into the rain.

"Anyone have any superpowers that prevent my hair getting wet?" asked Boudicea.

Snaga rolled his eyes. "Best get in civvies eh?" he said and changed into his civilian clothes with a thought. "I'll never get used to that!"

Prof Wynde looked about. There was a group of people gathered in the grounds of the castle and they looked to be tourists but details were absent because of the umbrellas obscuring the view.

=========

OOC Magic Sense 8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 1,5,+0 Total:6 (14) vs
OV10 + range 7 + Roll(2d12)+0: 9,12,+0 Total:21 (38) Magic Sense failed (someone elses)
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Professor Wynde issue #2 - Well, actually it's #1 with the LORE KNIGHTS and WONDERMAN! - Page 6 Empty Re: Professor Wynde issue #2 - Well, actually it's #1 with the LORE KNIGHTS and WONDERMAN!

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Jul 17 2020, 13:58

"There's magic about a half mile thataway," Prof. Wynde tells the others, pointing to where he senses it. "Maybe stay in costume and 'port us over there, Faerie? I want to check it out while we are here. Anybody got any superpeepers that can see that far? It's probably smaller than a man if I can't see it from here. Or is a big magic rock or tree or something."

ooc: I might but doubtful have Wandfar and Justin's character sheet. Lost a hard drive a few years back and they may have been on that. Will check when I get home from work tonight.

And boy is it a good thing I posted all those pantheons of the Isles, not that you would ever use them for THIS adventure. Probably hold off on that until Haunt and Steeplejack can fun with them. pirat
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jul 17 2020, 15:43

OOC Wandafar is easy. Joel (Nisbet) who ran the Exec game had all the character sheets in one handy place.

Professor Wynde issue #2 - Well, actually it's #1 with the LORE KNIGHTS and WONDERMAN! - Page 6 Wandafar

Harry (Lore Knights) didn't post the character sheets in the Lore Knights Yahoo group but did post the other campaign stuff like the map of Caer Alwyn which we've used probably half a dozen times over the last 10 years or so.

Update later on, have to go to work now!

Oh, as for the other Lore Knights, I'll tidy the character sheets up a little or maybe put them all into one PDF or something with some period comic book art but for now:

Professor Wynde issue #2 - Well, actually it's #1 with the LORE KNIGHTS and WONDERMAN! - Page 6 Faerie-updated-1940s
Professor Wynde issue #2 - Well, actually it's #1 with the LORE KNIGHTS and WONDERMAN! - Page 6 Major-Oak-1940s (i *think* this is v2 because when he died I rejigged the character)
Professor Wynde issue #2 - Well, actually it's #1 with the LORE KNIGHTS and WONDERMAN! - Page 6 Snaga-the-sender-1940s
Professor Wynde issue #2 - Well, actually it's #1 with the LORE KNIGHTS and WONDERMAN! - Page 6 Swashbuckler-v2-1940s
Professor Wynde issue #2 - Well, actually it's #1 with the LORE KNIGHTS and WONDERMAN! - Page 6 Boudicea-1940s

DON'T TAKE THESE AS GOSPEL! I was using the Adrenaline surge ability to get a cheap boost for the characters (all based on 675hp) to bring them up to Prof Wynde and Wonder Man levels and got the power use wrong so had to rejig the numbers and change things. these may be the pre 'jigged' character sheets and I'm running out of time to check! Arggh!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jul 17 2020, 23:52

"Superpeepers?" asked Boudicea. She looked around, shrugging.

Snaga hissed "It looks likes tourists to me. There's no magic down there."

"If we turn up dressed like..." Faerie looked down "Like this won't we be causing a commotion?"

"Right!" said Fred, struggling with doing his buttons up and smoothing out his hair and now in civilian clothing.

He looked about "What am I missing? Shouldn't you all... you know... whist... whist...?" he said while making a sweeping motion with his hand. "You know, clothes?"

Prof Wynde looked about. Other than the group of tourists being shown about, there was no one who could have given off the magical aura.

"Want me to go down there and see what's going on?" asked Carson as he leaned over the castle wall to find out what was so interesting about a bunch of tourists.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Jul 18 2020, 06:33

Prof Wynde looked about. Other than the group of tourists being shown about, there was no one who could have given off the magical aura.

"Want me to go down there and see what's going on?" asked Carson as he leaned over the castle wall to find out what was so interesting about a bunch of tourists.

"There's magic about a 1/2 mile away in that direction," he tells Fred Carson.  "It could be one of those tourists.  It could be some magical item near them or some sort of magical ... thing, like a tree or a bush or a stone, maybe a magical circle carved into the ground.  I'm curious as to who or what it is."

He thinks a moment and comes to a decision.

"Let's you and I go down there and see what we can find out.  We will go in civvies.  The rest of you stay and watch from here.  If this turns bad, you can swoop in and rescue us and the tourists down there.  Otherwise, I will signal you to join us."

actions:  WM can use his superleap to easily get down and Prof. Wynde will summon the winds to carry him down.  They will drop down out of sight of anyone.  PW will then change into his civvies and the two will approach the area where he feels the magic and figure out who or what is magical.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jul 18 2020, 10:59

Walking towards the tour group Oliver and Fred scowled up at the rain.

"This place... how is everyone not bleached white?" muttered Fred, hair plastered to his head.

Nearer the tour group they heard the commentary. "...be the last tour as the castle is closing to visitors given the wartime footing. Thank you for the custom and hopefully we will be able to open again in a few short months."

The people started to disperse...

Oliver headed to the tour guide, a man in his sixties. "Well hello, can I help ye?"

Suddenly the hero frowned and turned. A girl scout was walking past Fred and she glanced at him then frowned.

He'd found the magic source. A thirteen year old girl?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Jul 18 2020, 12:59

ooc: Not sure but aren't girl scouts called in girl guides in England?

"Thank you no," Oliver Smith says with a smile. "Well, maybe. Do you know who that young girl is? Her family? She looks familiar to me."

He nudges Fred to let him know the girl is their object.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jul 18 2020, 15:32

OOC Correct Girl Guides. I was in the cub scouts but it's been a while...

"hmmm? Och that's Lindsay McStraven. She's bright as a button and a wonder to have around, always helpful and helping with the tours. She's to be moving with the rest of the children away from the cities soon. In fact this may be her last day here. Remarkable even. Her knowledge of this places is always impressive." said the aged tour guide.

Fred shrugged and wandered over. "Hey there!" he called out to the young girl and jogged over while she turned and smiled. "You're an American aren't you?"

"Why yes I am. I'm here to... fight against the Nazis." said Fred, arms spread and shrugging. Well, it was the truth!

The girl frowned "They are awful people. I hope you beat them soon Mr Carson."

She started to walk away and Fred turned to Prof Wynde. "I don't see what's so special about her Ollie. Maybe we should just... wait a sec..."

The youngster was queuing for a bus a short distance away...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Jul 18 2020, 16:37

Oliver thanks that tour guide and heads over to the bus.

"Figured something out, Fred," he asks as they walk.

Fred tells of the girl knowing his name when he hadn't given it to her.

"She has magic," he explains, "the big question is does she know she has the ability or not. Let's see if she will answer a few questions, shall we? Mayhaps we can lead her down the right path and not wind up like Doctor Power."

He approaches the girl.

"Excuse me, Miss McStraven, my name if Oliver Smith and I wonder if you might have a few moments to talk with me? Is this the last bus? If so, we could ride with you and then make our way back to our friends. If not, would you be willing stay and answer a few questions ...?"

He grimaces as he realize ...

"From two totally strange men you have never seen before and have no idea if they are safe to talk to or not. Now that I think about it, I wouldn't if I was in your shoes. We could meet somewhere that you would feel safe to be seen talking to us if you would prefer that."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jul 18 2020, 20:35

Young Lindsay looks at Oliver and frowns. "Mr Smith you are right, it's not good to go with strangers but I feel sure you and Mr Carson will be gentlemen."

Fred squirmed a little "Perfect gentlemen young miss. No harm shall come to you when I'm about!" he declared with a thumb to his chest.

Llinday smiled, all freckles and pigtails.

OOC Mind Probe 12 + Roll(2d12)+0: 8,11,+0 Total:19 (31) vs
Int 5 + Roll(2d12)+0: 11,4,+0 Total:15 (20) +5 (to 17) vs RV16 (incl Magic Shield)=1 RAPs

"Oh, here's the bus!" she said. "Do you have the right change? they're very particular about that." Lindsay added helpfully. "Nuremberg Egg? That's a funny name for a pocket watch isn't it?"

She turned to stick a hand out for the bus to stop.

Fred leaned in "What's she talking about? And ... hang on a sec." he moved over to the others and waved to Katheryn. She appeared, tiny, in the palm of his hand and he leaned in to speak to her then came back, she having teleported back out of the way.

Lindsay was just getting on and turned "I'll pay for these two." she explained. "They don't have the right change as they are very rich and don't carry pennies." The bus driver peered at Oliver and Fred then shrugged and waved them on.

"What did Katheryn DeVeere have to say?" asked Lindsay, fishing in her satchel and offering an apple to each before biting into one herself. She was humming a tune and looking out the window and seemed a world away at times...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Jul 19 2020, 00:22

Checking to see if there are any eavesdroppers, Oliver smiles at the little lady. He then concentrates his Magic Sense to see if she is wearing some kind of magical item or if it is herself who has the magic.

"How long have you been able to read other people's minds, Lindsay," he asks quietly.

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jul 19 2020, 15:01

His magic sense, aimed at the youngster then around her, can't really be that precise in terms of what is magical about her but Prof Wynde feels it is the girl herself.

In answer to his question she shrugs. "I don't know how long really. Always. When people think things with their head I hear it even though they don't move their mouths, and I had to try hard not to cheat at school because all the answers could be taken from everyone else." she said between noisy crunching of apples. "I was called 'fey' and other names sometimes but when Billy McIntyre went missing I told them he was down the well and they wouldn't listen. Poor Billy." she said, head bowed.

"What else do you know?" asked Fred. He didn't have to whisper as the roar of the bus was rather loud!

"I know you have a soft spot for Ms DeVeere and she thinks your the Bees Knees." she says, smiling at Fred's blush. "I'll never marry, nor will I grow old." she added, matter of fact as she ate the apple. "I'm to die within the year." she said, matter of fact. "A man with a white eye will drain my power from me and I will wither to a husk."

Fred looked shocked! "No! I'll stop him! Where can he be found?"

"I'm not really here Fred." she explained. "I am, but I'm not. I'm just visiting. I died a long time ago but I came back for a wee while to see the world."

Fred turned to Prof Wynde. "is the girl addled?"

Lindsay smiled and turned to Prof Wynde "What's it like in the future? Do cars fly?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Jul 19 2020, 18:59

"I'm not really here Fred." she explained. "I am, but I'm not. I'm just visiting. I died a long time ago but I came back for a wee while to see the world."

Fred turned to Prof Wynde. "is the girl addled?"

Lindsay smiled and turned to Prof Wynde "What's it like in the future? Do cars fly?"

"Very few cars fly in the future, Lindsay, too many insurance problems for it to be practical," Oliver said, answering the questions backwards.
"No she is not addled, though I'm not sure if she is "all there" but in a different sense."
"Are you saying you are a ghost occupying someone else's body? Or were reborn in this one? And do you have a better description of the man who will kill you?"

ooc: Not sure if Occult Knowledge will help here or not but will give it a try
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jul 20 2020, 14:54

Lindsay smiled "I suppose I am a ghost. Every now and again I find the human form of someone who has died and bring it back to life for a while. This young lass died before her time when she was sadly struck by a bus a few weeks ago."

"She 'recovered' miraculously at the scene but sadly her soul departed. One of these times I hope that the soul is drawn back to the body but I have seen the time of my own death. The man with the white eye is relentless." she added, speaking in a childs voice.

Fred glanced around. "I'm sorry." she continues "But he is going to kill a Lore Knight! I can't tell which one, because the future is changing and you see... snippets." she frowns, freckled face pinching up.

She blinks and smiles "Do you like flowers? I only press the common ones because rarer ones are too nice and need to spread."

The bus rumbles on. "I'm at my stop." she said as the bus slows to a stop in a suburb. "Do you want to come home for tea?"

It appears Lindsay the child is back and the ghost submerged for now.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Jul 20 2020, 15:26

"If your parents won't mind, sure," Prof. Wynde said trying to figure out what to do.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jul 21 2020, 14:21

"Well, don't we have some place to be?" asked Fred. "We can come back, sure, but we need to get moving. The Outer Hebrides is a fair way away."

"Oh! There are bad people there. They are not from here. Not from anywhere near here." she said then glanced up at the sky. "They come from out there. They have a plan."

Fred glanced at Oliver. "What plan? What do you mean?"

"It's my stop" grinned Lindsay. "It's been lovely talking to you but I don't want to be late for my tea or my ma will scold me."

They got off the bus and looked about. They were in an ordinary suburb and nothing out of the ordinary. The young girl ran to the door, opened it and waved before closing it behind her.

"She gave me the creeps. Nothing there for us Prof." said Fred. "A doomed young lassie, and yet probably older than either of us, maybe centuries old. Brrrrr!" shivered Fred.

Katheryn appeared. "What was all that about? I sensed magic about the young girl and can see why you were interested but she's just a school girl. maybe one day she'll grow up to be a Lore Knight."

Fred glanced at Oliver and turned to Katheryn. "We need to get going. Let's get to the train station unless you feel up to hopping us about."

Katheryn glanced up at the leaden skies and constant rain. "I do not! I'm soaked through and my hair is a mess!"

"You look lovely!" said Fred and Oliver had to roll his eyes. Time to move on.

=========

Scotland was wild and lovely and the train to Glasgow on the eastern side of the country took in the sights.

A spot of lunch, a change of trains and soon the end of the line. (OOC I have little to no knowledge of trains in the 1940s and don't think Scotland was much served beyond the major cities. The Beeching cuts in the 60s probably sliced that up further with lines that barely served any passengers cut and and the service reduced. truth be told though I drive trains I have never had any real interest in them despite my dad (also a train driver) nudging me in that direction as a kid!)

The rain was relentless and the group stood on a platform seemingly in the middle of nowhere surrounded by hills, moors and forests with only the occasional sheep to prove that anybody lived here.

"Relax." said Katheryn. "see that distant mountain? While we were on the train and I had the map out I figured we'd hop there and see where else we could hop. A compass, a few jumps and we'll be on the coast in no time."

=========

'No time later'...

"Alright some time." said Katheryn. The wind and rain were foul and the group was thoroughly sodden and cold. Prof Wynde could keep the wind off but for the most part the group was miserable.

Some jumps later...

It was dark as they crunched down the lane to a village with a bay and dock. The Ferry was tied up for the night and Fred was the first to notice. "There's dozens of houses... but no lights on. My pocketwatch..." he shook the water off it "Shows it's only eight o clock. What gives? Does everyone hit the sack early round here?"

Owain grumbled "So long as the pub is open I don't care. Much as they don't much care for their fishing boats."

Several boats were floating free in the bay, occasionally bashing about. One boat at the least was listing sideways and another had a mast as the only visible thing jutting from the water.

Shivering with cold Alexandra said "Let's get inside somewhere first. A pub or hotel."

Robbie frowned "No lights on... the fishing boats uncared for... does anyone live here?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jul 21 2020, 20:34

Several boats were floating free in the bay, occasionally bashing about. One boat at the least was listing sideways and another had a mast as the only visible thing jutting from the water.

Shivering with cold Alexandra said "Let's get inside somewhere first. A pub or hotel."

Robbie frowned "No lights on... the fishing boats uncared for... does anyone live here?"

"This is wrong, there's trouble here," Prof Wynde says.  "No fisherman would allow his boats to get smashed up like that.  His entire livelihood is tied up in his boat.  Let's split up and search this place.  Major Oak and Boudecia, you are with me.  You other two are with Wonderman." 

"See if any of you can detect evil or magic or something.  Major Oak, can you summon some creatures to help you scout around?"

ooc: Detect Magic

Wait until everyone has had a chance to try to figure out what is wrong using their magical abilities.  If nothing is detected, then we split up into the two teams.  My group will take the east side near the ocean.  Wonderman's group takes the west side.  IF something is detected by someone then will figure out what to do then.

ooc2 :  And you know, there was a second Wonderman but from Nedor Comics, who did Black Terror and Fighting Yank.  If Fred ever wants a change in costume, let's steal his.

Professor Wynde issue #2 - Well, actually it's #1 with the LORE KNIGHTS and WONDERMAN! - Page 6 Myster10
Professor Wynde issue #2 - Well, actually it's #1 with the LORE KNIGHTS and WONDERMAN! - Page 6 Wm827810
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jul 21 2020, 21:22

OOC Has the ring of the familiar about it...

Professor Wynde issue #2 - Well, actually it's #1 with the LORE KNIGHTS and WONDERMAN! - Page 6 Simon-Williams-Earth-616-from-Avengers-Vol-1-9-Cover

Faerie and Snaga changed into their costumes instantly whilst Fred ran off to change behind a coal shed.

"Wet through." he grumbled. "Does this place ALWAYS rain?" he said, looking up into the dark sky with hair plastered to his face.

Boudicea and Major Oak transformed into their super forms and followed Prof Wynde into the village. Detecting as best they can, checking every door - ajar and none locked - and occasionally coming across a half starved pet, it became clear this fishing village was deserted of people.

Twenty minutes later with not a sniff of magic or evil or life of the human variety the group gathered again in the village square. "Weather is getting worse." said Snaga. "We should shelter for the evening. The village pub is the biggest building. Half eaten food, deserted drinks and turned over tables suggests everyone here left - or was taken - in a hurry. Those boats out there need strapping down. I can see to that, but the sunken boat might need more muscle." he said with a look at Fred who nodded and said "I'll get on it."

Boudicea shook her head, hair hanging in a sodden mess. "Everyone - men women children - gone. Where? Where to?"

Faerie looked about. "To the Isle of Lewis and Harris. Our original destination. They would have answers I feel."

The wind howled, the rain bucketed down and it was dark. Prof Wynde looked about. They were in a dead village apparently.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jul 21 2020, 21:26

ooc:  Are we into evening or early afternoon.  IF evening, we need to bed down for the night.  If early afternoon, we could head for the Isle of Lewis and Harris. Also I wonder with Air Control if Prof. Wynde could keep the rain off by diverting the wind and rain around them?
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jul 22 2020, 20:10

OOC Still get wet but not cold and wet. It's about 2000 so pretty much dark and done for the night...

"Get a fire going someone." muttered Boudicea.

The group hustled into the village pub. Major Oak, silent thus far, said "I'll get some wood for the fire." he said and went out again.

"The boy is quiet more times than not. He was truly scarred by the battle." said Snaga. "No warrior he, there is no malice or rage in his heart, only sadness I think."

Faerie watched Robbie go and sighed. "Hopefully he'll come round."

Wonder Man came in, drenched and cold. "Brrrr! We need what do you call it? A 'wee dram'?"

Snaga suddenly grinned and laughed "Now you're talkin laddie!" as he fished about behind the bar and started pouring not very wee drams at all.

Faerie came over to Prof Wynde and said "I'll periodically cast the Detect Evil spell. We should set a watch."

Snaga called over. "I reckon I can sense Evil. Not really had the chance to test it but I'll take a watch. The rest of you run baths and find something warm and dry to wear. I'll watch for the boy and see if there is anything in the pantry to eat. We should leave soem money... just in case these people ever come back."

The tone lowered and it suddenly hit home that a village of 100 or more people was deserted. Where were they?

OOC Any pattern for the watch or specific instructions for the coming night...?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jul 23 2020, 00:25

"Robots wouldn't detect as magical or evil, would they," Prof. Wynde muses outloud. "If this is aliens causing this instead of magical creatures, we might be running into those. So I think we should do two people on watch, 3 hours each. Morning shift can make breakfast. Who can cook?"

ooc: Prof. Wynde will take middle watch with Robby. Give the boy a chance to talk to him if he wants to. Have Wonderman and whoever can cook in the last shift. The other two have the first shift. Don't just stay inside, do intermittent rounds outside the pub as well, just a block or so outside. Though report any weird lights and noises.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jul 23 2020, 18:08

"Wake up." said a deep voice and a shove on Prof Wyndes shoulder. He started and peered into the darkness...

"Shhhhh." said Snaga, leaning closer, his hairy face with eyes narrowed scanning around in the darkness. "We have company." he whispered. It had been Prof Wynde and Robbies' turn to take watch but it seemed it was no longer required.

"I kept sensing evil... in between wee drams..." he said with boozy whisky breath "And sensed something, coming closer. From out there!" he hissed, pointing out the window towards the sea and the Outer Hebrides some miles off the coast of Scotland.

"Faerie is waking the others. I thought it best to... take watch with her rather than leave her and Wonder Man to stand guard. I can't imagine too much guarding would take place the way those two make goo-goo eyes at each other."

Getting up and willing his costume on Prof Wynde walked onto the landing and down the stairs into the main room.

"What gives?" asks Fred, dressed in a pair of borrowed pajamas. "I barely had time to nod off then we got woken and..."

KEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Wonder Man whirled about. "Did you hear that?" he said of the deafening smashing sound of wood and stone crushed beneath something massive. Like a giant foot.

The Lore Knights rushed to the windows of the pub and looked out.

Professor Wynde issue #2 - Well, actually it's #1 with the LORE KNIGHTS and WONDERMAN! - Page 6 Giant-Robot-attacks-village

Boudicea quipped "No Fred, we heard nothing. Enlighten us!"

With a frown Wonder Man bounds across the room and up the stairs. "back in a jiffy!" he declared as he went to change his costume.

BOOM! A step from the Giant Robot which must be... two hundred feet high? Striding from the sea, water running from it... and heading right to the village!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jul 23 2020, 18:27

"OH Boy! My first Giant Robot," Prof. Wynde says, not sure if he is being sarcastic or excited or both. "It probably had las ... what you would call Death Rays or Blacklight Rays. Maybe missiles. Probably some kind of cannon and/or machine guns. Plus being really strong."

"Let's try the ole Hit 'Em High and Hit 'Em Low routine," he continues, raising his voice so Wonderman can hear him upstairs. "I will try a strong blast of wind at its head while the rest of you try hitting it behind the knees. We have to do it simultaneously, so hold until everyone is ready. Any questions?"

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jul 24 2020, 19:27

OOC EDIT! It's nearer 90' high. Not only is that more in keeping with the picture but Growth of 200' is really powerful and expensive.

Snaga said "Questions? The only Question I have is whether there is a prize for the Lore Knight who lops that thing down to size!" he laughs, throws down another 'wee dram' and wipes his lips on his sleeve.

"Carson!" he bellowed. "There's Robots to smash! Make sure your underpants are on the right way round this time!"

Boudicea turned to Faerie. "Is there anyone inside that thing?"

"I... am not sure." said Faerie, placing fingers on her temples.

OOC GO FOR BROKE +4/-6 Adren Surge 9 + Roll(2d12)+0: 5,6,+0 Total:11 (20) vs
Telepathy 1 + GFB 4 + Roll(2d12)+0: 12,3,+0 Total:15 (20) +0EV so 9EV vs RV 1 - 6(GFB)=14 RAPs.

14 telepathy ...

"I am... connected to the robot. It is sentient... but not alive..." she said with white eyes and staring into space. "Why are you attacking?" she whispered. "YOU ARE HUMAN LIFEFORMS. YOU MUST BE ERADICATED." she shouted in almost a different voice!

Boudicea and Snaga spun, Fred bounded down the stairs still pulling on his jersey.

"But your masters are the Nazis! they are human too! Surely they are..."

"...THEY ARE... NECESSARY... FOR NOW. ADVENT WILL USE THEM. THEY WILL MAKE EXCELLENT DRONES. NOW. DIE!"

Faerie sighed and fell forwards, caught up by Fred's powerful arms. She smiled then stood. "I could reestablish contact but the Robot is heading towards us. It was ... able to think, even though it was a machine! How can that be?" she cried. Then she frowned. "There was something else. More than one maybe..."

Prof Wynde knew about Artificial intelligence of course but in the 21st century it was slow going. ADVENT clearly had their own take on things... and planned to use the Nazis for their own ends!

THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! The footsteps got closer along with crashing sounds of wooden sheds smashed to smithereens and crumbling brickwork kicked aside by the Robot.

Wonder Man settled his mask in place. "Right! prof Wynde is the boss! Follow his call and don't take too many risks! Faerie... you need to shrink and flit about, get people out if they are in trouble!" Suddenly Wonder Man flicked a glance at Prof Wynde. "uh, that is if Ollie agrees."

Snaga grinned, clapped Wonder Man on the back with a large hairy hand and bellowed "HAVE AT THEE!" then he made for the door and yanked it open. The wind and rain howled inwards and he laughed "HA! Foul weather nor robots will stop the LORE KNIGHTS!"

OOC Initiative then...

Professor Wynde issue #2 - Well, actually it's #1 with the LORE KNIGHTS and WONDERMAN! - Page 6 Giant-Robot-battle-rd-1

Snaga ROARS with delight then shouts "HAVE AT THEEEEEEEEEEEE!" and sprints at high speed towards the robot, reaching it in seconds despite it being a hundred yards away! Through the rain and wind the might warrior he started bellowing a bawdy song about a fisherman, a whale and a maiden and how hale and hearty the fisherman was especially when it came to...

OOC GFB +8/-12 Adren Surge 14 + Roll(2d12)+0: 10,11,+0 Total:21 (35) vs
Claws 6 + 8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 2,7,+0 Total:9 (23) +5 (to 19) vs RV6 - 12 GFB (means +6EV)=25RAPs. Claws is boosted to ... 31!!!!!

"RRRRRAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!" he roared and swung his axe!

OOC CRIT BLOW Dex 9 + 4D Weaponry + Roll(6d12)+0: 4,4,4,5,5,11,+0 Total:10 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 11,10,+0 Total:31 (40) vs
OV 0 (because it's so big and slow to react) + 4 Crit Blow + Roll(2d12)+0: 1,12,+0 Total:13 (17) +7 (to 38) vs RV20=18 RAPS. Giant Robot is on -8 Body/10

The magic axe hacks through one leg like butter, smashes into the other and with a tug Snaga heaves... tearing off the leg completely! The robot starts to topple... then shrinks to a 'mere' ten feet high! It crashes to the ground beside him and sparks, twitching whilst its arms and legs flap about.

"HAHAHAHAH!" bellows Snaga. "My axe... it can cut through ANYTHING! HAHAHAHAHA! DO YOU HEAR ME NAZIS! I AM SNAGA, AND THIS..." he brandished the Axe to the heavens "IS DEAT... uh?"

All around Snaga in the village and the surrounding area suddenly grown half a dozen massive robots identical to the one Snaga smashed into the floor!

Boudicea sped up to and skidded to a halt. "Snaga did you... oh!"

OOC Adren Surge 13 + Roll(2d12)+0: 9,12,+0 Total:21 (34) vs
Superspeed 6 + Roll(2d12)+0: 10,12,+0 Total:22 (28) +3 (to 16) vs RV6=10. Superspeed boosts to 16.

DEVASTATING ATTACK Dex 16 +3D Weaponry + Roll(5d12)+0: 4,11,2,3,6,+0 Total:17 (33) vs
OV0 + Dev Att 8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 5,9,+0 Total:14 (22) +5 (to 11) vs RV20 -12 (DA)=3 RAPs damage. Robot #2 on 7/10 Body

"Those were just taps!" roared Snaga over the howl of the wind and the clomping of Robotic feet!

Faerie hangs back in case anyone is injured...

Prof Wynde floats in the air, using his power to fight against the winds. He'd caught a glimpse of Snaga's powerful magic axe smashing through the metal and wiring of the Robots lower leg and the power on show had been ... incredible! He sensed that could not be maintained, and indeed might fizzle out as quickly as Swashbucklers had int he last battle against the Nazis. Against half a dozen of these things the Lore Knights would be tested to their core!

OOC Prof Wynde then Wonder Man then Major Oak. The Robots then get their goes... be VERY VERY careful! Snaga may have chopped one down with that Axe of his but these things DO pack a punch!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Jul 24 2020, 20:33

This is one time Prof. Wynde can use Air Control to summon strong winds, doing an attack like Super Breath without the Multi attack Penalty.  And knockback counts as Lethal Damage for some damn reason.  Being hit by a guy who can slice a mountain in half isn't considered lethal damage but being knockback by wind does.  Stupid rules.  It would be better to just have a person declare their attack is lethal and assume it isn't otherwise.  Probably one of the few weaknesses in this game.  That and their gadget rules.  And robots aren't really alive so go on me.

Anyway .... Maneuver himself so he can summon a huge blast of air to hit as many of the robots as possible while not engulfing his own teammates in the funnel.  These things probably weigh a lot so knockback damage may be low but it would also mean that they are knocked down so that the others would get some kind of bonus to attack prone foes, I hope.  Going to try to knock them into something hard for the damage, a granite cliff would be nice but doubtful to be around.  If I could direct their knockback so that they knock into each other would be nice if possible.  Try to keep from blowing them into the houses.

Any skills that can aid in the attack goes for that, not for defense.  Really want to try to get the highest number of RAPs in knockback possible.  Not sure if there is an attack that would help with that if there is, let's go for that.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next