The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost!

2 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost! Empty Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost!

Post  Admin Thu Mar 12 2020, 16:13

Oliver Smith examined the watch. It was quite lovely. As was the price. Still...

"Would sir care to see some of our more exclusive pieces? They are a marked hike in quality and rarity and to a discerning gentleman as yourself they are sure to appeal." offered the salesman, sensing a sale.

He'd omitted to add 'hike in price'.

Still, it wouldn't hurt to look. His employer might be able to afford them with pocket change, but $100,000 dollar on a watch might be too extravagant for Oliver Smith. A nought less and he may be tempted.

OOC Irrational attraction to a $300k diamond encrusted watch... Roll(2d12)+0: 10,9,+0 Total:19 Avoided.

The Salesman sensed a faltering nerve and tried a different tack... "Perhaps sir would like to see something of a more ... day to day nature, as opposed to a bespoke piece of jewellery taken out of a safe perhaps once or twice a year. Not as exclusive, for sure, but more durable, wearable and at a ... keener price?"

That stung slightly! The Salesman smiled, hoping to guide Oliver towards another section of the counter. Still, they WERE more in his...

BRIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!

He turned at the sound of an alarm blaring out then BANG! a shot going off somewhere out int he street, along with cries and screams along with shouts... Shopping might have to wait! This was - perhaps - a job for ...

Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost! Wynde

Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost! Tables_draft_v2_higher_resProfessor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost! Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost! Empty Re: Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost!

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Mar 12 2020, 18:33

Joining the stupidly brave or the stupidly lookie-loos or the stupidly stupid who have a smart phone with a camera that could record something to be put onto a social media website, Oliver joined those rushing outside to see what is going on.

And just because magicians hardly ever fight mutants, matates, techno-gizmo guys or skill combatants but only other people with magic, Prof. Wynde uses his magic sense to see if anyone is around that has magic.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost! Empty Re: Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost!

Post  Admin Wed Mar 18 2020, 06:53

OOC Right, where were we...

Oliver looks about. It was REMARKABLY windy and he shielded his eyes against dust and debris that was being thrown up.

Others struggled with the high winds and clung to street furniture such as bins and street lamps.

Looking down the street he saw what appeared to be a whirlwind moving around. It... oh, it had arms? most unusual!

And... another creature? This one made of water, standing some seven or eight feet high? It flipped a car and popped the cap off a hydrant with a sweep of its hand! As water sprayed around the wind caught it and rain started to pour across a large area of the street!

Using his ability to sense magic Prof Wynde did indeed see these two creatures as being of magical origin. He could also sense two more similar sources of magic. One was inside a bank where people were streaming out and another was... above? On a roof somewhere? Looking up he also sensed FOUR more magic sources, these being much smaller and more focused.

As wind and water doused him he realised what was happening. A bank was being robbed by three magical beings - two outside, one inside!

Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost! Tables_draft_v2_higher_resProfessor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost! Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Mar 18 2020, 09:21

"Well, this is going to be interesting," Oliver thought to himself. "Totally outnumbered by what seem to be elemental types. Really, really hope that's not a fire type inside. Oh well, nothing for it I presume."

Stepping out of the doorway to the shop he had been in and out of sight of any security camera, he gestures hypnotically and calls out his magic words, "Insto-Chango!" and there stands Professor Wynde!

Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost! Magicm11

"OH Zephyr Winds Lift Me on High," he says while gesturing hypnotically, summoning the air around to him to fly him into the air, a small tornado forming around his lower half of his body [think Red Tornado], he sets off after the wind foe.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 18 2020, 16:21

Prof Wynde took to the sky, his lower half a blur amidst the winds that were his to command!

OOC Never used Air Control before, it's very useful!

He looked down upon the scene in the street and saw that the Air Elemental appeared to notice him! Indeed, it was soaring up to meet him!

OOC Perception check... Int 5 + Roll(2d12)+0: 5,12,+0 Total:17 (22) vs
OV 6 + Roll(2d12)+0: 3,10,+0 Total:13 (19)

+2 EV (to 8) vs RV 6 = 2 RAPs

Whilst Prof Wynde can't be sure he *thinks* there are at least three or four people on the roof top of a building stood in the shadows overlooking the street. he would need a closer look to confirm. Bystanders? might they be in danger?

On another rooftop there appeared to be a fire burning, but another glance revealed it was yet another of these elemental creatures this time made of living flame!

OOC initiative not needed. Prof Wynde goes first. he is 100 feet or so away from the air elemental which is flying closer to meet and beat him!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Mar 18 2020, 18:31

ooc:  So here is the question, the first use of air control lets you attack your foe with wind, basically the small tornadoes Red Tornado shoots from his hands but it is described as a physical attack using Air Control for AV/EV but since I purposely gave it Mystic Link and it is also Linked to Aura, does that change it from a physical attack to a mystic attack and therefore not using the Defender's Dex/Body but Infl/Spirit?  And yeah, the flight, blast, area effect attack all in one power is why I took it instead of flight and superbreath.

But for this first round and the air foe, I will go with setting up my magic shield for defense and fire off a magic blast at him, which I do know uses Infl/Spirit.

"By the power of Okuni-Nushi, I invoke His protection and I call forth His wraith and ask that He strike my foe!"

[ooc:  Okuni-Nushi - Japanese God of magic and medicine, ruler of the unseen things and the spirit world.  
And no, I didn't set up Prof Wynde as needing to gesture or speak spells in order to get his magic to work, (probably could have saved even more points to spend if I had), but I am having him do it anyways just in case he ever gets captured and has his hands bound and his mouth gagged to prevent him from using magic, he will be able to turn the tables on his captors.]
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 18 2020, 19:00

OOC When you mystic link only two things happen. 1) You change whatever the link attribute is to instead be one of your mystical attributes (Infl/Aura/Spirit) and 2) the attack is regarded as magic in case it triggers some weakness or something like magic sense/shield or some kind of defence is used. So Air Control used on Mysto the magnificent will blow him about and buffet him but if some horrible demon type blasts him with air control mystic linked then Mysto's Magic Shield of 25APs should see him pretty much ignore it!

Magic Shield set up. If they attack in a magic manner (magic blast, a mystic linked power etc) this will protect you otherwise if they attack in a purely physical way you need skin armour, force field etc.

Magic Blast 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 5,2,+0 Total:7 (17) vs
Infl 1 + Roll(2d12)+0: 11,3,+0 Total:14 (15)

+2EV (to 12) vs RV1 = 11 Damage!

With a single blast Prof Wynde sends magic into the creature which cries out and vanishes, the wind dispersing and dust/debris falling away!

Well that was easy!

He looks about and sees the fiery elemental jumping to street level and running towards the bank at high speed!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Mar 18 2020, 19:47

"Only I can prevent forest fires," Prof. Wynde intones portentously [Dang! I'm in a weird mood, stuck in the office all week and all the remaining weeks until who knows when!].

Make sure he is in range and Magic Blast him too.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 19 2020, 17:26

OOC Think I put in an optional rule somewhere about range and going to apply it from now on. Prof Wynde takes aim from 150' (4APs) away or so. Should range make it harder to hit AND less damage, or just harder to hit? Thoughts.

Magic Blast 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 10,9,+0 Total:19 (29) vs
Target OV2 + Range 4 + Roll(2d12)+0: 1,6,+0 Total:7 (13)

+6 EV (16EV) vs RV2= 14 damage.

The Fire elemental VANISHES!

Prof Wynde looks at his hands. Powerful hands, hands full of magic!

These creatures seemed particularly vulnerable to eldritch blasts! On the street he saw no current targets. That left whatever was in the bank! he could sense TWO magical auras in the bank and four small ones outside somewhere... somewhere... there! He pinpointed a rooftop where four people could now be seen arguing with each other. Was that the source?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Mar 19 2020, 18:08

"Wow! Maybe I'm good at this," Prof. Wynde mutters to himself as he figures out where to go next. "Hmm ... 4 magical beings, 4 people on a roof. Coincidence, I think not."

Using Air Control, he zooms over to the roof, hovering just a bit away from the edge.

"I take it you folks are the ones responsible for this? The name is Prof. Wynde. Can I get you to surrender or do you need to go through some pain first?"

actions: Keeping magic shield up. How high off the ground are they? Got a vague idea of using Air Control to blow them off the roof but if too high up, will have to scrap that idea.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Mar 21 2020, 06:36

OOC The building is about four storeys up and looks over the street, especially the bank...

The four on the roof appear to be arguing until they notice the wind picking up and a man with the lower half of his body resembling a tornado!

Prof Wynde notes that they are all kids, or at least teenagers. Two girls and two guys. They all look astonished to say the least!

"Get... get back!" screams one of the girls. "I'll summon my ... my avatar again!" she yells

"Yeah! there's four of us and uh..." added one of the guys

"And he kicked ass Ryan. OUR ass!" muttered the other guy, in glasses.

"We're not surrendering guys! We can do this! Kelly! Get your... your... earth guy back up here!" screams the last girl and she thrusts an object at Professor Wynde...

He frowns and squints. What is that? A rock? Sure, it's fashioned and sculpted, and he can't tell from here but it may be inscribed with runes. How did the kids get these? Clearly they thought it would be cool to use their magical beings to rob banks and make some fast cash. Aside from the theft and property damage, chances are someone might get hurt, not least these three if the authorities catch them at it!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Mar 21 2020, 10:01

"I'm giving you one chance to surrender," Prof. Wynde calls out, "And only one chance. After that ... do you really think the elementals that you summoned can stop me, Professor Wynde? Just so you realize, you will be my targets, not them. Do you know what it is like to be blasted by magic? The pain? The horror your soul feels? Are you ready for that? I am!"

actions: Shield up. Giving them a chance to surrender. Right now, it looks like two might fight, two might surrender. So targeting bossy girl first who seems to still want to fight. If she or one of the others attacks, then that's the one he attacks with magic blast.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Mar 21 2020, 10:15

They look at each other.

"He can fly. We should listen to him."

"I don't recognise his costume, and who dresses like that?"

"This isn't worth it! We've been ripped! That guy told us..."

"Shhhh! He told us if we ever talked he'd know and..."

"ARRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!"

All four cried out and their hands glowed, or rather whatever was in their hands glowed so brightly even Prof Wynde had to turn away! When he turned back each of the four had been transformed... into STONE!!!!

They were like statues, standing where they'd been a moment ago in mid sentence, mid gesture... The stones they held were part of the statue but still standing. Suddenly Prof Wyndes' magic sense told him there was a BIG magic surge/presence somewhere behind him. The bank? He glanced... No. Something...

On the street a swirling vortex of air formed and formed into another elemental. Ha! Easy! He'd defeat this no... and another elemental formed from the water from the smashed hydrant... and ANOTHER elemental formed from the rock/concrete of the ground!

That left fire to form... He glanced back at the statues. Three were glowing brightly and the fourth was dim.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Mar 21 2020, 10:30

Quickly land next to the kids and see if the objects in their hands can be removed or if they are actually stuck as part of the statues. Then use magic sense to see if i can spot a 5th magic source that might actually be the one behind this.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Mar 21 2020, 15:15

The object is part of the statues now and separating them from the kids might not have the desired effect - kids bleeding to death on a roof with a hero shrugging and saying "How was I to know" tended not to go down well...

He reaches out. That gathering force of elementals was all together, forming into one being... And smashing cars up? It was BIG now, some twenty feet tall and just as wide. Made up of three swirling elements it was both terrifying and beautiful to behold.

Prof Wynde reaches out with his magic sense...

And he could detect something. He looked in the general direction. Someone... using something... Watching. Possibly watching him even at this moment!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Mar 21 2020, 18:21

Flying towards that other magical presence and hoping he is making the right choice.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Mar 23 2020, 14:31

Prof Wynde headed to where he sensed the magic presence.. and find nothing!

Yet he still sensed the magic... He was on a flat rooftop of a building higher than the one he'd found the kids on and it was clear *something* was observing from afar. He concentrated and in a way was able to make out the rough shape of the magical essence he could detect. It was semi humanoid - semi because it had an upper half but no legs, and floated in the air.

It floated over to Prof Wynde.

Then became visible, but Prof Wynde could see through it!

Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost! Disembodied-spirit

It says something but in a foreign tongue that initially Prof Wynde couldn't understand...

OOC Comprehend Languages 12 + Roll(2d12)+0: 1,8,+0 Total:9 (21) vs
OV12 + Roll(2d12)+0: 4,1,+0 Total:5 (17)

+3EV (to 15) vs RV12= 3 RAPs

Success.

"Mortal! You can 'see' me?" said the now visibile spirit.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Mar 23 2020, 14:41

"Yes I can, and the name isn't Mortal but Professor Wynde," he replies. "Are you the one responsible for those kids and their powers?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 24 2020, 10:27

"The children summoned me from my jail. I gave them a boon and energised the 'game pieces' to grant them abilities in order to free me. It appears they instead decided to use them for their own gain." said the spirit.

"The issue is that the spirits in those stones are, in a way, living and they have taken the life force of the young ones to cement their place in this realm. I am caught between and cannot influence anything, only watch." said the spirit. "If you defeat the spirits the life force of the young ones may be tied to them and their immortal souls may be in peril."

"However, left unchecked the creatures will wreak havoc without a guiding mind to force them to ... behave."

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Mar 24 2020, 12:36

"And how do I do that if I can't run the risk of defeating them since it may kill those kids," Prof. Wynde asks.

Using his knowledge of the Occult to see if he can come up with a solution.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 24 2020, 13:24

OOC infl 10 + Occultist dice Roll(5d12)+0: 4,10,4,11,11,+0 Total: 22 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 7,9,+0 Total:38 (48) vs
OV12 + Roll(2d12)+0: 2,5,+0 Total:7 (19)

+8EV (to 18 Aura) vs RV12 = 6 RAPs

Prof Wynde pondered and recalled how these kind of things were connected to the artifact that helped summon them. Ouija boards were obvious and mostly not magic in any way, but this... 'game' might possess the answers.

'The children summoned me through the use of an artifact you might call a 'game' and repeating a series of phrases in a specific order with a specific tone of voice. They were playing in a place... a place of learning. I do not know the phrase. I learnt by fighting the four elements avatars and sacrificing a thousand slaves to the great god Bal'Uur.' said the spirit. Hmmm. Not helpful.

He looked back at the street. The three elements of the golem were combined in trying to start a fire by smashing cars to pieces and to set fire to the fuel but were finding it hard to combine their efforts. He had time, but not much! two cops had turned up and were directing people away as best they could. One of the cops had emptied a glock into the creature and backed away in fear as it had no effect.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Mar 24 2020, 13:44

"Can you tell me or show me where they played this game," he asks. "I Find that, I may be able to end this without hurting those kids."

"So help me, if this turns out to be Magic: The Gathering is responsible I am going to scream," he mumbles to himself. "Or Jumanji."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 24 2020, 15:16

The creature shrugged "I moved away from the area of summoning and the only way I can go back there is to risk being pulled back into the game. If that happens I will not be able to assist you. If your magic is strong you may be able to sense the artifact. What is a ... Jumanji?"

Prof Wynde had already detected everything within range of his magic Sense, which he'd figured more or less on a mile or so. That meant it was out of range, and in a town this size...? It could take a while to find other sources of magic.

Did he have the time to look? he saw a cop car get flipped, scooped up, smashed repeatedly on the floor and prayed the thing wouldn't burst into flames to give life to a fiery elemental...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Mar 24 2020, 15:31

"Which direction did you come from," Prof. Wynde asked hopefully. He also tries to remember if the kids wore anything that might give a clue as to what school they went to thinking that they would live near that school and maybe make it easier to narrow down an area to search for the game.

He looked worriedly at the elemental rampaging and wondering what to do about it. He had no magic that could summon walls or force fields so he couldn't contain it. If he flew off looking for the game to try to free the kids, he would have to go down and speak with the police about not having some kind of hero destroy the elemental monster without knowing it could possibly kill the children.

"Wait a minute! What kind of "game pieces" did you empower? Would I be right in assuming that those pieces are now part of the statues that are those kids?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 25 2020, 08:42

"The game pieces will be part of the childrens statues. I believe there were two more but only four of these children were playing the game." explained the demon.

He looked about and turned around then pointed. "That direction." The university campus! Get near that and he would be able to detect the magic aura of the game board and remaining pieces. They would be near magic free until this creature empowered them, but still might have enough to detect.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next