The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost!

2 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost! - Page 2 Empty Re: Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost!

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Mar 25 2020, 11:16

Prof. Wynde nods and flies down to the gathering police officers.

"I'm Prof. Wynde, a new hero in town. That thing is an elemental formed by 4 kids who have been turned into statues as they were tricked. They are up on that roof over there." He points to the roof. "If someone destroys that elemental, you may kill those kids. I may be able to break the spell on the elemental and the kids but to do so, I have to leave this area. Try to just get the civilians to safety and try not to draw its attention on you."

He zooms off without saying another word or listening to what anyone else has to say. Then he heads to the university, using his Magic Sense when he sees it, to try and find another source of magic.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost! - Page 2 Empty Re: Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost!

Post  Admin Wed Mar 25 2020, 14:04

One of the cops pulls his gun on Prof Wynde but another shouts "Ferget it kid! Most of these guys ignore bullets!"

Prof Wynde glanced at the older grizzled sergeant and got a nod in return.

Then he set off towards the University. As he got closer he could sense something and soon he was flying over campus with people pointing and whipping out their phones for pictures and videos!

He could sense it about the third floor up in the student dormitories. Something growing... something... evil...

Moving through the corridors after he swooped in he had to resort to running and checking as he ran through the corridors. Even as kids shouted and filmed him as he sped through the dorm corridors he came to a doorway which was locked... a light shone all around the rim and the door rattled ominously....
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Mar 25 2020, 16:31

"Hi! Professor Wynde, new magical hero," he tells folks who are close enough to hear him as he moves through the building. "Now get everyone out of here! Bad stuff is about to happen in this building!"

He looks around once he finds the door he is looking for to find the nearest fire alarm. Once he spots it on the wall just a ways down the hall, he goes and pulls it, setting off the alarm.

He gives it a few minutes for folks to hear the alarm and get out of the building, waving and speaking to those on this floor to get out. "Big bad fight coming up, maybe destroying the whole building," he says with a smile. "I would get out if you don't want to die. And tell the police and firemen to get everyone away from here and to stay out!"

After it seems the building has been abandoned or at least everyone on this floor is gone, he looks at the door once again. Setting up his magic shield, he reaches out and tries the doorknob and ....
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 26 2020, 15:51

Wind blasts past Prof Wynde and light near blinds him as he opens the door! The contents of the typical dorm room swirl in the air as a magical cyclone spins in place around a glowing white rectangle on the floor. That, and the pieces on it, remain unaffected by the wind but everything else in the room, clothes, furniture, debris, books, paper, old pizza... everything swirls about and lightning plays about inside the cyclone...

And in the cyclone...? Lightning eyes form, and a mouth which smiles evilly! The lights in the place are flickering and the eyes grow brighter still! Suddenly the fire alarm stops wailing and he can hear the distant shouts and screams of people trying to get out of the building.

Lightning plays about the debris and the wind tears at Prof Wynde, so much so that he is starting to be drawn into the vortex! It takes all his strength to hang onto the door frame!

The glowing board is now too bright to look at and arcing electricity is blasting out from the cyclone, threatening to strike the Professor if he steps any further into the room!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Mar 26 2020, 18:11

"May the breathe of Zephyrus steal the air from evil," he intones while clinging to the door frame.

action: attempt to create a vacuum around the swirling cyclone of evil air, the 3rd power point dot in the power description.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Mar 27 2020, 07:49

Attempting to remove the air from the magic cyclone Prof Wynde shouts to hear his own words against the howl of the wind and clattering of debris bouncing from walls and what remains of the windows.

OOC Air Control 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 10,1,+0 Total:11 (21) vs
OV 11 + Modifier (+4 ov/rv to make a vacuum) + Roll(2d12)+0: 5,3,+0 Total:8 (23)
FAILED

It was difficult to concentrate and Prof Wynde bit off a curse as his concentration slipped when a loose copy of Playboy flapped in his face!

Suddenly the cyclone sped up and Prof Wynde saw rough arms and a head form as the creature began to tear itself from the board which appeared to be its gateway. If that couldn't be closed it would mean many more of these creatures coming through into this plane of existence!

One 'foot' steps into the room and the carpet shreds where it stands! The other foot was being pulled from the board, though the creature found it difficult and roared its anger which was heard even over the winds howl!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Mar 27 2020, 14:21

Will try a direct wind blast with knock back set up so it goes back towards the board. Put the skill points into attack.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Mar 28 2020, 07:28

OOC No applicable skill points for Occultist ( Martial Artist and Occultist for different things)

Air Control 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 5,5,+0 Total:10 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 9,11,+0 Total:30 (40) vs
OV11 + Roll(2d12)+0: 10,6,+0 Total:16 (27)

+5 EV (to 15) vs RV11 = 4 RAPs

Finally! Prof Wynde makes a 'dent' in the creatures progress by summoning up a wind that causes the creature to slow, strain, then take a step back, then a stumble...

It stepped with it's other foot back onto the board as if it were magnetic and the eyes of lightning glowered. A mouth formed and a voice that sounded like heavy boots crunching on glass spoke out. "Little mage, I see you! You cannot hold me here forever! My power will defeat your puny spells!"

For now the windows died down and the the creature swirled but seemed more contained as the very bottom of its legs stood on the glowing bright white light of the game board.

Prof Wynde can hear sirens approaching!

If the police came the creature might use the distraction of dealing with them to make a break for it! It seemed that it was as much a struggle for the creature to break free from the board as it was for Prof Wynde to contain it! Luckily Wyndes' power seemed up to the task, albeit barely - he was dealing with powerful forces!

He heard shouting down below. The police would be up here in minutes!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Mar 28 2020, 10:42

Let's try magic blast and see what that does to it.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Mar 30 2020, 04:01

OOC Magic Blast 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 12,4,+0 Total:16 (26) vs
infl 11 + Roll(2d12)+0: 9,10,+0 Total:19 (30) MISSED

The creature looked up and seemed to twist at the very last moment as Prof Wyndes' magic blast passed by it.

"Little mage! Ha! Your power is weak, your skill limited. You may serve me though, and I will teach you many great things if you free me from this... prison." rasped the awful sounds-like-glass-breaking-and-being-stood-on-voice.

The wind seemed to quieten and the creature continued. "Soon there will be more souls here to drain, and my power will increase! Already my people have taken a foothold in your realm and when I am free I shall hold the gate open for others! ALL shall bow before my people, and your puny weapons shall not harm us!"

"Your only chance is to serve me... and to retrieve the remaining two tokens for this prison."

Tokens... game pieces? Four were taken by the hapless now stone statues students that meant two more were still about... Wynde glanced about. This place had probably been a total student pigsty before this cyclone creature had turned up. Chances were the game pieces were still in here somewhere. He suspected the creature possessing the other two was 'a bad thing' but perhaps Wynde could do something with the other two.

He noted that the insubstantial spirit was no longer about, at least in sight or earshot of the creature that was tied to the game board.

"Well, little mag? Do we have an accord? Find me the tokens, hand them to me, and I shall not only spare your life but increase your power"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Mar 30 2020, 13:39

"To quote a famous military man," Professor Wynde replied, "Nuts!"

Magic Blast again, can I add in Martial Arts to the attack?
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 31 2020, 22:38

OOC You can attack with Martial Artist using Magic Blast but only if you punch with your hands and not involve Magic Blast in any way shape or form. So, uh, no Laughing

HOWEVER in the next round of rules changes/tweaks I plan to allow the buying of separate AV/OV/Range and Skill dice for every single power. Might mean some things are more expensive, but but allows for ultimate flexibility (skill dice would be cheaper as they are only good for using that power and no other purpose, for example). Costs are the tricky thing. I'd have to start with a base line (like Energy Blast as a normally cheap option) and decide whether powers should be cheaper or more expensive.

You can buy dice to hit when you get a stash of HP after this adventure! But... that's not helpful right now... Shocked

Prof Wynde thrust a hand out and blasted with the Magic at his command towards the powerful demonic creature!

OOC Magic Blast 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 5,9,+0 Total:14 (24) vs
Infl 11 + Roll(2d12)+0: 10,11,+0 Total:21 (32) FAILED

The creature simply sidestepped the blast and considered the Mage it faced. "So be it." it growled in it's gravelly glass breaking voice.

It raised both arms and blasted at Prof Wynde!

OOC Magic Blast 12 + Roll(2d12)+0: 5,4,+0 Total:9 (21) vs
Infl 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 7,9,+0 Total:16 (26) FAILED attack missed.

Prof Wynde stepped aside as easily as the creature had. Though the 'beast' was powerful Prof Wynde felt he almost matched it in terms of power and experience.

This was proving to be an impasse and the hero knew police would be rushing through the building to get to this room and complicate matters. The creature knew it too. "When I drain your minions I will gain enough power to escape this prison! Then you shall know torment, Mage!"

Prof Wynde racked his brains...

OOC infl 10 + Occultist knowledge dice Roll(5d12)+0: 1,3,9,2,10,+0 Total:19 (29) vs
OV10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 3,3,+0 Total:6 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 6,4,+0 Total:16 (26)

+2EV (to 12 Aura) vs RV10 = 2 RAPs

1) This creature is tied to the game board and if the other two game pieces have been 'claimed' by players the gateway will be open not just for this creature but for others. The danger is real!
2-3) If just one of those game pieces can be taken the creature may be able to escape on its own by 'pulling free' but it will be hampered, always being pulled away until all those game pieces are claimed.

Prof Wynde looked about... too much rubbish in this room to easily spot anything like a game piece...

OOC Perception Check Int 5 + Roll(2d12)+0: 11,6,+0 Total:17 (22) vs
OV4 + Roll(2d12)+0: 9,1,+0 Total:10 (14)

+4EV (to 10 Will) vs RV 4= 6RAPs

Prof Wynde would never find anything like a game piece in this dump! This was... he glanced at a bedside cabinet and saw what looked to be a bunch of badly painted lead figurines for 'role playing games'. One stood out because it was of a different scale and seemed to be made of a different material, more brown than grey. It was intricate and well carved, and looked very old... A game piece? The only problem was he'd have to go THROUGH the creature to get to it!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Mar 31 2020, 23:22

ooc: OK, using Occult Knowledge what would happen if I just blasted the game piece? And if that comes under "Bad Idea" then how about I use my Air Control and blow or knockback the piece to me?
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 01 2020, 08:48

OOC based on what he knows about the game piece it would come under 'bad idea' as these powerful artifacts tend to come with self defence measures in Prof Wyndes' experience.

Along the lines of 'throwing what you threw back at it' up to a certain amount kind of thing. Also destroying the game piece (if it were possible) wouldn't fix this but the game board *might*.

Prof Wynde winces when he ponders the results of a direct attack to destroy the game piece. He wasn't sure if he had the raw power required to do that or what the results would be if he even tried.

Instead he tried to subtly summon a wind to gather up the game piece and deliver it to his hand knowing full well the demon on the game board was watching his every move. When the creature saw the wind gather around the game piece it laughed!

OOC an easy Perception check for the creature int 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 11,12,+0 Total:23 (33) vs
OV6 + Roll(2d12)+0: 9,5,+0 Total:14 (20) Success +8 EV (to 18) vs RV6= 12RAPs. It's using a power called Full Vision to see in a 360 degrees area around it...

"I can see ALL around me, little mage! Did you think you could trick me?" it

OOC Air Control 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 3,9,+0 Total:12 (22) vs
Air Control 11 + Roll(2d12)+0: 7,3,+0 Total:10 (21)

+1EV (to 11) vs RV11=0 RAPs FAILED

Once more the creature laughed as it frustrated the hero! "Little mage! Anything YOU can do, I can better!"

Footsteps behind Prof Wynde caused him to glance and he stifled a curse as he saw three police officers appear at the end of the corridor.

"YOU! HANDS UP!" shouted one, the female lead as she aimed her gun at Prof Wynde stood in the doorway.

The other police officers were systematically checking each door as the female officer stalked towards Prof Wynde with her police .38 trained on him.

The creature chuckled. "You have impressed me Little Mage! You may leave with your life if you wish. These others will play my game and free me. I have foreseen it! You must rest, sleep, let your guard down... THEN I shall strike, free myself from this prison and this world will know a NEW ruler!"

Prof Wynde rolled his eyes. However, there was a problem. So far he had been rebuffed - and resisted in turn - the creature. They were so evenly matched it was impossible to separate them! He needed an edge, something to tip the balance in his favour!

Near the doorway the Police officer stayed back, shielding her eyes from the dust and winds that blew up. "Who are you?" she yelled. "What's going on?"

"Who's that in there with you?" she seemed to relax the pointing of her weapon at Wynde and more inclined to look inside for a look...

OOC Any cool names for a female sidekick? WindLass? Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Apr 01 2020, 13:59

"The name is Professor Wynde, a magical superhero," he replies calmly as he tries to figure out what to do. "And in there is what might as well be called a demon that is trying to enter into our world. "And if I can't figure out how to stop him, he will manage to do just that! So stay back, stay behind me."

ooc: Unless I'm missing something here I seem to have two choices, continue to blast each other with magic and whoever hit whomever first will probably win or try destroying the game board. So will try a combination of using Occult Knowledge to see if I can think of something else and use my Omni-Connection for the first time in the game - I know a guy who knows something about magical gateways and how to close them - one of my magical teachers. Use my smart phone, once the nice lady cop decides not to shoot me or handcuff me, to call him.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 01 2020, 18:56

OOC Omni connection is excellent and useful... when you have HP to burn to use it! In the meantime...

Infl 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 11,11,+0 Total:22 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 11,10,+0 Total:43 (53) vs
OV 9 + Roll(2d12)+0: 9,1,+0 Total:10 (19)

+8EV (to 18 Aura) vs RV9 = 9 RAPs, success.

Prof Wynde frowned, glancing at the turmoil in the room where the spirit was watching him and waiting for a gap in the Mage's concentration so it could break free of the game boards grip.

"I wonder..."

The female cop looked at Prof Wynde and spluttered "What?"

Then she stiffened, eyes becoming vacant and staring, and a blue ish aura around her suggested that she'd been possessed! By the spirit Prof Wynde had spoken to!

"Mortal Mage!" she said, then looked into the room. "Ach! It is Kur'esch! Ach! Ever he has dogged my steps and now seeks to enter this world on my coat tails, but with magical energy drawn from the children! He will drain their spirit over time and become a ... Kor'tai.. a ..."

"Vampire?" offered Wynde. "One who lives on the life force of others?"

"Yes!" the female cop said. "That is what he will become. He will be a force on this world that gathers spirits from the ordinary people and enslaves them, leaving them to be soul less shells that ignore weapons and seek to cause strife unlike any you have seen!"

This spirit was just full of good news! Still, Wynde appeared to have left his mark on it and at least persuaded it to help as much as it was able as a disembodied spirit... or rather now as an EMBODIED spirit!

"This woman has a noble heart. Tell me Mage, do you? If I grant a boon to you, will you in turn aid me?"

The winds in the room picked up and the demon started to strain against the prison it was being held by, sensing it would take only a bit more effort to break free and wreak havoc!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Apr 01 2020, 20:38

ooc: dang! forgot I needed HP to use it. That's what I get for not having the rules near me when I wrote the previous message.

"Depends on what kind of aid you are talking about," Prof. Wynde replies. "If it winds up hurting innocent people this "aid" you want, then the answer is "no". If it is something else then probably "yes"."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Apr 02 2020, 10:11

The policewoman smiled and her eyes glowed red.

"I will not hurt innocents. There is no... profit for it. But then... who, in this life or the next, is truly innocent? You are powerful, mage, but your training is lacking." said the demon/cop.

She clicked her fingers... and everything STOPPED!

"Don't bother trying to interact with anything. You are 'out' of phase with this dimension if only for a heartbeat, but that is long enough for you to travel to a mountain in a place called Tibet. There is a wise man there, a mage or 'yogi'. He will gift you a device that shall aid you in your struggles against this being. I grant you this boon because I know you will keep your word. If you do not, a soul is forfeit and this woman shall be my shell on this world for ever more! Now, are you sure you wish to undertake this quest, retrieve the item and return here to defeat the demon? You will be wandering down a path that leads to greatness, madness, glory or despair. Or somewhere in between..."

OOC Gee I wonder where I got the idea for Tibet and a yogi from... it seemed the source for all things magic in the 30s and 40s as far as I can tell. As for what awaits in Tibet, here's a cryptic clue...

Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost! - Page 2 Yarko
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Apr 02 2020, 13:50

"A path I was going to take sooner or later," Professor Wynde replies. "And you are right, I am just far enough into my training that I was allowed to operate publicly. So send me there."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Apr 02 2020, 18:10

"I can do that, but remember your boon little mage!" said the lady cop who was not quite as tall as Wynde so calling him 'little' seemed out of place!

"Step through that door!" she pointed at the door across the hallway.

Wynde did so and stepped through.. onto a snowy hillside in Tibet!

Shielding his eyes against the blinding snow that came down he looked about and saw... THERE!

High on a mountain top a distant light from a cave or building!

He summoned winds to life him and found he had... no magic! What deviltry was this? With no way back for the portal had closed he had to go forward in this strange dreamlike adventure.

=========

Cold, wet and and mystified the Mage entered the cave and saw it led further into the mountain.

Following the tunnel as it was lit by torches prof Wynde kept his eyes peeled but saw no one else. He came to a section of tunnel where there were holes in the floor. Though they were easy enough to jump over they looked bottomless! Still a grown man in excellent shape should as he would have... Suddenly, as one the torches were doused and he was plunged into darkness!

An ancient wizened voice rang out in the tunnel...

"BEWARE INTERLOPER, AND ANSWER TRUE THESE QUESTIONS THREE!"

"Are you noble of heart and will never do a dastardly deed?"

"Will you always follow the path of honor and never lie, cheat, steal or wrong a woman or child?"

"When evil is at its strongest and hope gone, will you pledge to never give in and fight till your last dying breath to bring justice to others?"

Wynde was aware that the jumps over the circular pits had been easy when the tunnel was lit but one false move could see him plunging to his doom!

OOC tried to make this as cheesy/1930s/40s as I could...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Apr 02 2020, 19:04

"Yes."
"Yes"
"Yes"

"Thank God the Questions Three weren't "What... is your name? ", "What... is your quest?" and "What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? ", he mumbles quietly to himself, "because I totally would have gotten the 2nd question wrong. The airspeed velocity of a (European) unladen swallow is about 24 miles per hour or 11 meters per second."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Apr 02 2020, 20:13

The torches burst into life, Prof Wynde gapes as he's stood on the edge of a precipice and nimbly hops over the hole, over several others and into a large cavern which, inexplicably, has fire and lava burning in it.

He sees a number of incredibly life like stone statues dotted about the place. All of them are outlandish in some way be it pose or clothing but all seem heroic and muscular, or appropriately gorgeous, demure and determined in the womens' case.

Some worse masks and as Prof Wynde walked slowly down the path between the statues and with lava/flames flickering high on either side he wonders quite what he's stumbled into!

"I would have made one of those questions the fourth, had I the choice." muttered an ancient man as he walked slowly towards Prof Wynde from the far end of the cave. "Though the unladen speed of a swallow is a given fact, less obvious is how King Arthur in that film obtained coconuts for his horse noise when clearly Britain has not the climate to grow coconuts."

He stood ten feet away, appraising Prof Wynde and then flicked his wrist to reveal a smart watch to check the time. "Despite living all of my life in Tibet in this mountain I do sometimes get out to see the world. As you do, Oliver Smith. As this man did."

He turns and gestures at a statue of an athletic looking man with all concealing domino mask barely masking his features at all. The air shimmers and seems to depict an image of the Yogi looking marginally less ancient talking to the man who was not then a statue. His blond hair, dashing looks, outlandish red costume with yellow underpants on the outside and heroic demeanour marked him as ... 'more'. Someone ... 'Wondrous'.

"Who was that man...?" asked Prof Wynde.

"Hush. Hear my words from eighty years ago!"

Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost! - Page 2 Final-fate-of-wonder-man

As Prof Wynde watched the man in red and yellow changed to all grey as that of a statue! The scene depicted the yogi wiping a tear from his eye and walking slowly away. There were no statues in the cavern then besides that of the Wonder Man.

The image faded and the old man turned to Prof Wynde. "This man was a hero, but the time was not right for him and thus he chose to resume his life in a time when heroes were needed! He made the sacrifice and in doing so ensured the magic ring which grants his powers never fell into the hands of evil. However, all that he knows, all those he knew or loved, including Brenda Hastings are long gone." the Yogi paused then added  "Or was it Nora, he never seemed quite sure. Anyway. The magic in me prevents me from undoing my own spells or I could be forced by others to take advantage of my frail form and made to do their bidding! You however, are young and strong and able to learn. I can teach you the spell that will unlock the non life of these statues and the ones you left in the town. Without those trapped souls the beings that rampage will be able to draw on nothing and will be drawn back to the game board! The draw of the board will be strengthened with each that returns and it may be enough to close the rift and drag the evil spirit back with it!"

"Only you can decide if the boon you promised is worth the price to pay in order to keep your word." he said, sagely.

"Are you ready to learn, Oliver Smith?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Apr 02 2020, 20:40

ooc: Cool Beans! Great Image!!! And really really hate to ask this but did you roll for my unluck yet? Or uncertainty? Not that I am trying to get all the bad stuff out of the way now before I get in really deep! No siree! What a Face

Anyway. The magic in me prevents me from undoing my own spells or I could be forced by others to take advantage of my frail form and made to do their bidding! You however, are young and strong and able to learn. I can teach you the spell that will unlock the non life of these statues and the ones you left in the town. Without those trapped souls the beings that rampage will be able to draw on nothing and will be drawn back to the game board! The draw of the board will be strengthened with each that returns and it may be enough to close the rift and drag the evil spirit back with it!"

"Only you can decide if the boon you promised is worth the price to pay in order to keep your word." he said, sagely.

"Are you ready to learn, Oliver Smith?"

He looks around at all the various statues and sighs.

"All previous magical heroes, I presume," he asked. "And a possible fate for me one day as well or maybe sooner if I fail in this? You wouldn't be a member of OOP would you? I guess you already know, since you know my real name, that I am an OOPS Mage. And the person who came up with that bit of alphabet soup didn't know what they were doing or had a really wicked sense of humor."

"But yes, I am willing to do what I can. We need these heroes back, demons removed from Earth and then prepare to fight the Advent before they totally take us over."

He looks the statues over, wondering if he recognizes any of them.

ooc: Which I doubt since he doesn't have any knowledge - heroes of the past, unless one happens to be a mage who was in the Army and worked with them then might be part of the history of the Army he might have received during his enlistment.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Apr 02 2020, 20:51

OOC before I answer the characters will all be out of print heroes (not just magical but mostly of that type) from the Digital comics museum out of print character back catalogue. I figured you'd get most of the references in the text (Norah or Brenda? identity crisis or writer just plain forgot half way through issue #1? Etc) and of course Wonder Man is the character I played back in the day on the Yahoo Group we both played in...if you have a list of names/characters who might be 'statue'-ised I'm happy to introduce them as NPCs for the Prof
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Apr 02 2020, 22:45

OOC Don't worry too much about Unluck. It adds +4 to the OV/RV of a random check but you haven't suffered from it yet. No biggie. I'll roll a D10 and go from now.
Same with uncertainty.

"The Order of Preservers is a group with a long and proud tradition of doing good. They also tend to be unlucky clots. I saw you from afar years ago. You were inquisitive in the fourth grade about the mystical nature of the universe. In Miss Roberts class. You sat next to Alfie Bolland. He picked his nose. A lot."

"Knowing what I knew I looked further and foresaw this meeting. Not all the details. Reading the future is vague, and as if through fog, at a distance. I was roaming the timelines the other day and witnessed a battle in the old west where two men of the now were ranged against Aliens and mystics and protecting the lives of men who were known robbers and bandits. Everything in these mens nature screamed against their actions but they were heroic and true, and stuck to the task. I know not what else transpired for the vision shifted." said the Yogi.

"You say you are willing to learn? Then strip! Take off all your garments, your robes, your trinkets. Prepare yourself physically, then clear your mind! Once that is done with the aid of Yoga, I can then clear your spirit and teach that which you must know! I am a Yogi after all."

=========

After what seemed like weeks Oliver could bend and stretch in a manner that seemed most alarming!

He ate herbs and grubbed about for larvae for protein when the snows thawed, and drank snow melt from his hands. He was cold, tired, barely able to carry on but forced himself to forge ahead, never wondering what had happened back at the town for his mind was cleared of distractions.

Finally the Yogi seemed to have reached the end of his teaching.

He pulled something from his robes, pulled a face when he found a half eaten banana and fished in the other pocket. From there was a purple gem set in an inlay of silver depicting leaves and vines holding the gem in. The chain looked rather cheap, mind.

"Behold! The Amulet of Negation! Say the words that I have taught to you and name your target! You can simply 'negate' one of their powers, or if they have great strength, reduce them to a weakling! It's power is linked to your aura and it is as durable as your mystical aura is. It will also confer a level of protection from mortal weapons that your skin currently does not have. As I have said I cannot know how to undo my magics! Aiiieeeh! However many of the spells placed in this cave over the years have waned and with this amulet you MAY be able to release these brave souls from their self inflicted prison. Start with this man." he said, pointing to Wonder Man.

"The spell on him is the oldest and weakest by now. The others may yet be too strong for you. I was barely 120 years old when I cast that and mostly confined myself to parlour tricks and crafting rings of magic and the like. Note that the magic in this item is finite and must be recharged! If it does not work one day you must leave it to recharge and try again!"

(OOC that would be the reliability number for negation which reboots an hour after so long as the roll is 4+ on 2D12 the rest of the gadget has R#0 which is refreshing because fixing the chain every day would be a pain).

"There is however a cost for this. You can take this item, use it and then return it to me... or you may keep it and over time I will add to it, even perhaps to one day unlocking the doors of Sorcery to you. If you decide to keep it, there will be a cost*. That is for you to decide."

"Now, put your clothes back on, bathe and resume your fight with the demon in the game board! once of course, you have tried to free Mr Carson..."

OOC ok, updated character sheet for Prof Wynde and (hopefully) with the Amulet of Negation on it... You may need to Ctrl+scroll wheel on your mouse to see it on this site...

And the other thing is if you wanted to have a guess at Fred Carson/Wonder mans stats for a bit of fun...

*EDIT almost forgot. There's a fee of 110HP to pay for the amulet but you can pay all in once or instalments if you so choose. If in instalments the Yogi's interest rate is steep meaning you have to run missions and errands for him occasionally...

Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost! - Page 2 Prof-Wynde-Final-final-again
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next