The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost!

2 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost! - Page 6 Empty Re: Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost!

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Apr 27 2020, 20:12

"I'm Professor Wynde and this is Wonder Man and I want your magic game piece before it turns you back into a statue again," he explains, now kicking himself for his fears being realized.

ooc: Occult Knowledge. Did we trigger a defensive spell in our escape or did the magic piece on the boy cause it?

"Looks like we are in your time period, Wonder Man, or at least just a few years after you "retired"."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost! - Page 6 Empty Re: Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost!

Post  Admin Tue Apr 28 2020, 15:39

OOC Occult Knowledge...

Infl 10 + Roll(5d12)+0: 10,12,4,8,6,+0 Total: 22 (32) vs
OV8+Roll(2d12)+0: 7,4,+0 Total:11 (19)

+5 (to 15 Aura) vs OV8=7RAPs

1) A curious effect of the magic in that hillside has transported you through time and space.
2-3) The magic has somehow linked to Wonderman's presence and judging by the lack of people and the Spitfire flying through the air, the year is approximately 1939 or 1940, most likely 1940. The desire must have been strong for Fred Carson to return home or perhaps the magic was not strong enough to 'read' Prof Wynde. Clearly the place was one that the unwary would find fatal, and even those wily enough to dodge the traps would fall foul if they knew nothing of the powerful magic in the place!
4-6) Ley lines were a theory about the magical lines of power that criss cross the world. The hill under the ruined church was possibly such a place where dozens of magical ley lines criss crossed and made it an ideal place for the occultists to gather and use the magic. Added to that the demonic fire dragon and the power of the game piece tied up in the stone statue and they were able to unlock latent powers of such a place. Unfortunately Prof Wynde and co have emerged somewhere at the end of a ley line and to return to their own space and time would require investigation and travel to a nexus type place where a way back to the 21st century might be found.
7-10) The occultists were possibly Nazi agents. In (this game version of) world war II Adolf Hitler gathered certain people and artifacts about him that he thought might aid in his conquest of Europe and possibly the world. Not only were they versed in the ways of magic rituals they were able to unlock the powers of darkness to change ordinary people into servants of evil, hence the Vampire like henchmen. They want the game piece, having detected it across the boundaries of time and space and though they will not know of it's exact location, if they track it down it may lead them to the game board and other pieces in this time, and they can summon creatures to do their bidding, including elementals immune to mortal weapons and able to wreak havoc on the battlefield!

Wonderman appeared first in May 1939. You've been transported back to some point either that year or early the next one. Whenever Wonderman left this timeline in the Yogi's cave you appear to have been transported back sometime after that.

World War II has been declared. Poland has been annexed by Germany, and Nazi Agents are scouring the world for the means to raise their leader to immortality!

The Student fished in his pocket. "This? It's worthless, have it." he said, tossing it over for Prof Wynde to catch.

Wonderman had bounded up and over a hill chasing the plane and now returned in a shower of pebbles. "Well, we're not in Kansas anymore chaps. There's a road a way back there and it leads to a place called Rrhyd-Ddu. I would guess we are in Great Britain in a province called Wales. Or is it a country? And that was the Royal Air Force. I'm... I'm HOME!" he said, leaping and performing a fabulous arcing somersault fifty feet in the air to land on his feet. "Well, kinda."
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Apr 28 2020, 16:53

"And welcome to World War Two," Prof. Wynde snarked. "Something you managed to miss. It started in Poland in late 1939 when Germany and then Russia invaded. Britain and France declared war on Germany and Italy. Of course, some folks say World War 2 started in the early 1030s when Japan invaded China. December 7, 1941, Pearl Harbor is attacked by Japan in a surprise attack, which caused America to enter the war at that time."

"And what's your name, kid? And it is going to take some doing for us to get back to 2020, where we are only dealing with an alien invasion of our world. Hmmm...guess nothing really changed if you look at it from that perspective."

"So, we have no money, no passports and no identification. There is no way we will be considered Nazi spies, is there? Well, OOP is up Scotland way, not sure if they are exactly in the same place I trained or not but that wouldn't be a bad place to go to get some help."

Prof. Wynde places the game piece in his waistband, in a hidden pocket there.

"Let's head for that village you mentioned and get some more details as to date and such."

ooc: If all agree, grab the kid and hold onto him as I summon a small tornado to fly me in that direction while Wonder Man runs along the road.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 29 2020, 08:59

"I'm Robbie Johnson, but if you think I believe any of this you gotta have another ... think... coming..." he said as his voice trailed off when he saw the serious expressions on the heroes faces.

"I mean.. this is crazy! It's no more believable than..."

"A man who can leap vast distances, lift a truck over his head and another who commands the winds to fly and can cast magic spells? Hmmm." said Wonderman. "You're right. Better tap your heels together three times and say 'there's no place like home' kid. See where that gets ya." said the hero.

He turned to Prof Wynde and quipped "I took a gal ta see this movie back in the... now. So far fetched, it made me chuckle, but wow, they sure rolled out the boat on the movie wizardry."

"I don't believe any of this!" said Robbie. "And the pair of you look ridiculous! How are you going to blend in?" said the teenager in jeans, nike trainers a smashing pumpkins t shirt and tinted slightly green hair, shaved on one side. "You wear bright red pants with yellow... uh overpants and run around bare chested in a mask that doesn't cover anything!"

"And you..."

Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost! - Page 6 Magicm12

"Well if they have lunatic asylums in this place you two have a room booked. Just sayin." smirked the youngster.

Prof Wynde replied by summoning a tornado to lift him and the incredulous teenager into the air, drowning out his screams until he looks about in wonder and they follow Wonderman as he part runs but mostly leaps huge distances, practically flying through the air with each bound!

They were soon on the outskirts of the small town, more a village and Wonderman waited for the tornado to land. "Great workout, you can really shift Prof! Remind me to go your way next time. Must be whizzo to be really able to fly."

The trio overlooked a small village. It looked to be one that homed a few hundred people at most, miners and their families. There was a train line running through the place which meant it wasn't a total backwater.

"Hmmm. What's the plan Prof?" pondered Wonderman. "Hate to say it, but the kid may have a point. We turn up in our fancy duds and ... say, do you suppose they speak English here?"

The kid laughed then it faded. "Wait, you're right! This is a WELSH village! In Wales, it's a different country to England where they speak the same as us. What if they think we're... uh... spies? We need a change of clothes..."

"And to speak as little as possible." offered Wonderman. He peeled off his all concealing domino mask. "I may as well go by my given name, Fred Carson."

"You just told me your secret identity!" said Robbie.

"That's right kid, and if you ever tell anyone..." he glanced about, picked up a rock and squeezed, powdering it and dusting his hands clean.

"Uh, you can't do that. There are laws." sputtered the boy as he backed up from the advancing Carson.

"Yeah? Back in YOUR time. Kid, you gotta lot to learn. In this time someone is just as likely ta punch you in the mouth for looking at their drink funny. I've been in some... spicy joints."

He turned to Prof Wynde. "Kid kinda has a point. We're yanks in a strange land." he sighed.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Apr 29 2020, 09:17

He turned to Prof Wynde. "Kid kinda has a point. We're yanks in a strange land." he sighed.

"Well, you are anyways," Prof. Wynde says with a smile. "But getting either of you in there without notice is going to be impossible, unless you have another change of clothes on you, Wonder Man? No way for Robbie to blend in with that hair of his and the fabrics his clothes are made of and let's not start with that weird T-shirt of hi. Me? I can change back into what I was wearing before magically making my costume appear. But even so, a total stranger appearing in one of these small towns is going to be noticed by everyone, especially one wearing a top line fine suit that only the rich and noble class would wear."

"If this was an actual city, like London, we could blend in fairly well. Hmmm .... Anyone of you know anything about English superheroes of this time period? I think that they are pretty rare compared to how many show up in America during the next few years. Maybe we can pretend to be one of them or recruits for their group? Otherwise, I guess just going down and asking questions of the local bobby might be our best bet."

ooc: I know the Lore Knights were active during this time, at least the 40s version of them - the great-uncle of one of my characters was - Ghost Knight, but not sure who else might be.

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 29 2020, 10:49

OOC The Lore Knights were indeed said to be active in this time with Justin St Johns ancestor wearing the armour and the title of Ghost Knight if I recall.

I don't remember too many details of the Earl himself, save that the place was called Caeralwyn and was nearer the coast than you are now. However, they are magical based supers and not well known to the general public and pretty much unknown elsewhere.

Again, however... OOP may have some knowledge of the Lore Knights, which means Prof Wynde might well have heard of them. Let's check. It's mystical heritage knowledge so not an Int check but rather an Infl check for Occultist.

Infl 10 + Roll(5d12)+0: 8,3,3,4,10,+0 Total:6 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 4,8,+0 Total:18 (28) vs
OV9 (very obscure information not normally known by an average person with an Infl of 2) Roll(2d12)+0: 2,9,+0 Total:11 (20)

+4EV (to 14 Aura) vs RV9=5 RAPs

1) The Lore Knights were a British Superhero group active in the United Kingdom around the early 2000s, about the same time as the Executive. They were far less well known and with magically derived powers.
2-3) OOP knows them to have been active from near a place called Caeralwyn, a village in Wales along the western coast of that country. The place is steeped in history including that of an order of knights dedicated to goodly deeds and protecting the land and all who live in it from the horrors and dangers that mankind was not meant to know about. The old keep at that place is said to date back to around 1066 or sooner, possibly the dark ages about which little is known. OOP agents have examined the village, the keep and they like others have looked for the caves said to be underneath according to local legends. They did not find the caves but found powerful protective magic that their most powerful mages felt should be left alone as it was powered by ley lines and part of the land.
4-6) An OOP operative known as Nimuë claimed to have been in touch with Justin St Johns, descendant of the original Earl and been given a guided tour of the Tor, village and access to the magically hidden caves underneath. She claimed the land itself gave permission for her to enter and not the Earl. He said he was simply a servant of the land, dedicated to its protection against evil from 'the dark places' meaning the Lore Knights were arrayed against mystical foes for the most part and anyone who sought to harm the land of the United Kingdom. Other heroes in the Lore Knights were known as the Crusaders, the New Knights of Lore. Their ultimate fates were never revealed, but one at least known as 'Wraith' used his powers to gain revenge on villains who killed his fiance and was struck out of the team. Rumours followed that man that Nimue explored - he died, was imprisoned, died embittered and lonely... other stories that bore little fruit were that he made his own deal with dark powers and travelled from this reality to other times and places, hunting down injustice and fighting in his own way to regain the trust of the land, albeit in a darker, more brutal and in his eyes, more effective way. He called no place home, and adopted the mantle of 'Nowhere Man'. OOP operatives have reported encountering such a man and recovered from a one sided beating in infirmaries. He is regarded as an enemy by OOP. Others included Tor, Winterwolf, Ursa, the Hurler and Cheshire. The team has disbanded and retired by the early 2000s, presumably depowered and no longer active. In the 1940s little is known about the team but legends state that has been, and always will be, a Ghost Knight.

Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost! - Page 6 Team

OOC Rescued from Yahoo Groups before it vanished.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Apr 29 2020, 11:45

GREAT RESCUE JOB!
ooc:
wasn't sure if any of the golden age public domain heroes of British origins were going to be active or not for our game.

"I know of a place," Prof. Wynde says after thinking a bit, "in Wales with powerful ley lines that might help us get home. Just have to find out from the locals where it is from here. How about you two lay low here and I will go down as ask directions for the local bobby or pub, whichever I find first?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 29 2020, 12:08

Wonderman shrugged and lay back in the heather with hands behind cradled head snoozing.

The youngster pulled his arms around himself and muttered "See if you can get something to wear. Looks like rain soon and this place isn't very warm!"

Prof Wynde smiled and wandered down to the village, transforming his costume to his clothes as he went. Smartly dressed in a suit he did stand out somewhat but rather less than the bare chested Wonderman or the muddled teenager Robbie.

People gaped as he walked down the cobbled main street and figured places like this didn't have the budget for tarmac roads yet. There were a few cars and the odd truck but for the most part people got around on bicycles and on foot. There were even horse drawn carts about. His clothes drew attention but most were too polite to stare and point.

"Helo, Helo?" said a Policeman in uniform. Even with his hat on Prof Wynde was near on as tall.

OOC Comprehend languages. Literally never had a character with this before in any game I GM'd or played in, and you've had more use out of it with Prof Wynde than I've had since 1985 or whenever 1e DCHeroes came out.

CL 12 + Roll(2d12)+0: 12,9,+0 Total:21 (33) vs
OV8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 11,9,+0 Total:20 (28)

+3 (to 15) vs 8=7RAPs (2 mins) of time Prof can read/write fluent welsh... and saves me from having to post Welsh up!

"Hello Hello what's all this then? Who are you and where are you from? More importantly, what are you up to?" said the Policeman. Of course, given that the country was at war everyone would be nervous and twitchy, especially with strangers. The man was somewhere in his forties and probably grumpy that the draft would not include him. A burly sort, a sergeant judging by the stripes and with a hand ready to grab his truncheon if need be (OOC British cops have never been armed with guns until the recent decades and even then only specific firearm officers have them. The rank and file use mace and tasers.).
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Apr 29 2020, 12:21

"Hello sergeant, I'm Oliver Smith from London on a bit of business.  Antiques dealer," Prof. Wynde said with a smile.  "I'm trying to find Caeralwyn and I am a bit lost.  I know it is on the coast somewhere but not sure where I am now.  Could you tell me the name of this village and how to get there from here, please?  And what is the latest news?  I've been without radio or newspaper these last few days."

Nothing like being polite and seemingly open to a person, good skills to have when was is in the antique business.  Oh!  Hand him a very expensive gold embossed business card.  The shop may not exist yet in this time but it should help him look legit.

ooc:  Just as an aside, John Mannering - his boss, is the character The Baron from a 60s TV show of the same name, which took great liberties with the original books.  And I picked Oliver Smith as his name after doing a quick google search for most common British first and last names.  What surprised me in that search was that Mohammed is ranked 5th or 6th as most common first name in Britain now.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 29 2020, 19:41

The Policeman takes the card, raises an eyebrow and hands it back. "Well Mr Smith, you seem to be in order. I've seen business cards before but never quite so fancy sir!" he said, clearly impressed.

"Caeralwyn you say? Hmmm you're the third person to ask of the place in the last day or so. More antique dealers like yourselves I don't doubt but they had the ... eh... shifty look about them. One offered me money for directions, can you believe? I, a serving policeman and proud servant of the crown? I was almost too insulted to direct him!" he harrumphed.

"Well sir, I don't doubt a gentleman like yourself has a fine motor car like those chaps, and the chap with the lady had but like I said to them, it's a circuitous route on tricky roads if you want to be there within the day."

He fished out a well used map and a pair of spectacles. "Now... we're here..." he points at some squiggles. "And here.." he points, is the village of Caeralwyn on the coast. About 60 or so miles but like I say, the road gets rough out there, like the weather. We think we've got it wild but when the Atlantic wants you to remember it's there..." he raises eyebrows again.

"Come to think of it the second group were a foursome. Two men two women, and right pretty they were too, the women I mean. The men were suited and booted though not as fine as yours I'll warrant. that Saville Row place is it?"

Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost! - Page 6 Map

"They've all got a good head start on you mind. That first group.." his eyes darken. "Was Mrs Jones from the butchers gave directions, not I, but the woman has a good eye and a better ear for gossip, mind. She said something about an accent. Good English, too good if you take her meaning, but then you can never be sure who turns up in these strange days, I mean, we're at war but no one's fired a bloody shot yet, least on our side. Poland though... bad business there."

He frowned then looked about and sighed. "That boy Terrance is in bother again with Hamilton the baker. OY! Lout!" He tipped his hat visor and sprinted off after a laughing child who was eating a stolen cake.

Oliver Smith wandered to a local store and smiled for the giggling ladies who walked past, looking him up and down. Glancing at the Daily Mirror he saw the date.

May 11. 1940.

A summary of the news report was on the front page with more inside. The news was chilling.

"Germany invades Belgium, France, Luxembourg and the Netherlands; Winston Churchill becomes Prime Minister of the United Kingdom upon the resignation of Neville Chamberlain. The United Kingdom invades Iceland.
Belgium declares a state of emergency. Churchill is called on to form a wartime coalition government.
The massive German offensive against the Western front: The invasion of Luxembourg, Belgium, the Netherlands, and France begins. In a bold stroke, German paratroops capture the Belgian fort Eben Emael.
The Battle for The Hague becomes the first failed paratrooper attack in history as the Dutch quickly defeat the invaders."

"Oy! You going to read that or buy it?" scowls the surly shopkeeper from the doorway.

OOC I'm not sure where Harry (old GM for Lore Knights) intended Caeralwyn to be so I stuck a point on a map and that'll do. At 10APs speed in a straight line that will take about 4 minutes for air control but looking at that you'll be able to fly in straight lines only. It will propel you, not fly you with any agility, so bear that in mind.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Apr 29 2020, 20:32

Oliver was about to buy the paper then remembered he had no money for this time period.

"Sorry, only have 50 pound notes on me," he muttered.

He leaves the village, heading down the road and once out of sight, heads back to the other two.

"Ok chaps, here's the good news.  I know when we are, May 11,1940.  Nazi Germany is rolling up the good guys right along.  I think Dunkirk is only a few weeks away and then the Blitz is going to hit and hit hard.  Jane has or is soon going to be losing her clothes fairly regularly in her comic strip in the Daily Mirror.  History says it was a great morale booster."

"Bad news, we have competition in trying to get to Caeralwyn.  Two groups in fact.  I have no idea who they are or what they want there but since that is a pretty powerful magic spot, they are probably up to no good."

"I think I can carry you both at least part of the way, so Wonder Man can rest a bit more.  What say?"

learned about this from one of Simon Whistler's various YouTube groups - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_of_England_%C2%A350_note
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Apr 30 2020, 21:15

OOC The average wage in Wales in the 1940s will be about £10 a week I should think. House prices were south of £850 in London, probably half that in rural areas. When the blitz came prices plummeted with entire streets up for sale at a time in some cities. Fifty pound?

Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost! - Page 6 Fifty-note

I'm willing to bet Mr Smiths' polymer new design fifty note is rather dramatically different to that used up till 1943 as shown above! You've highlighted a serious issue for the trio in this age!

Wonder Man shrugged. "So long as we're travelling in a straight line your wind gusts certainly do the trick!" laughed the hero. Robbie looked a little pale. "I guess.." he said. It would take time for him to get used to travelling about with two superheroes.

"Hmmm. How about a change of clothes? I may be Fred Carson but I look like a circus performer at the moment. I've got a few dollars but..." he looked about "They are for emergencies and tucked in my belt for... well, decades. At least they are legal tender!" Robbie shook his head. "You're not having my hoodie! I'll be freezing!"

He zipped it up and crossed his arms.

"The cold doesn't bother me but sticking out in a crowd does, as our accents will leave us like sore thumbs. The limey prof is fine though. Let's go!"

========

After the teenagers screaming died down the strange trio shot through the air like missiles and a couple of landings and course changes/corrections later (including one that almost left them over the sea by quite a way) they landed gently half a mile from the village of Caeralwyn.

OOC Hmmm according to the old map Caeralwn is said to be on the coast road between Bangor and Newferry but we'll ignore that. It's too near Liverpool for my liking and not really deep into Wales proper. I'd like to keep more of a mystical feel so Wales better fits that bill.

Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost! - Page 6 Caeralwyn-small

Consider the trio at the top of the map and entering town on the coast road (marked 'To Newferry'. Well yeah, if you follow it and take a few diversions I'm sure it technically is Smile )

Fred (Wonderman) peered from the heather covered hill where all three crouched overlooking the village and the old castle. "Time to ante up guys. What do we have that's of value that we could pawn? We'll need to eat eventually. You can have my... five dollars. I guess my civvies are back at the cave... say! Maybe I'M back at that cave? Can I be in two places at once? Mind you I'll be a stone statue..."

Robbie frowned. "I have nothing." He fished in his pockets. "Wait. I have a few bucks... my phone - you're not having that! - my wallet... do they take plastic?"

Wonderman turned to Prof Wynde shrugging "Don't ask me. Plastic what?"

OOC What's the plan?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Apr 30 2020, 21:16

OOC If you are like me on a laptop chances are you'll need to hold CTRL down and scroll down on the mouse wheel to shrink the page to 90% to fit the map on. Then I blow it up again to read cause my eyes are rubbish.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Apr 30 2020, 21:42

"Wonder Man, your American dollars would probably work if we can find a bank here that could exchange foreign currency," Prof. Wynde lectures, "but the rest of our money is no good here. Our money doesn't exist in this time period, not yet. Neither do cell phones. So, no food and no clothes unless we find a Good Samaritan to help us out. Sorry but I do not have the magical ability to change other people's clothes into something else. And I'm not really in the mood to go stealing clothes off some nice lady's clothesline in the hopes that it will fit us."

"And I did think about you existing here as two people and there are a few possibilities I've come up with. One, because you are a magical statue in this time period that "You" is frozen out of time so it doesn't negate you being here. Two, we are in an alternate past or timeline. Three, according to an old Doctor Who episode, as long as you don't meet yourself in the past, you won't violate causality and create a whole different universe. Four, Magic! Not being a scientist, I'm going with number 4."

"As to what to do? Two other groups of folks wanted directions to here as well. They are probably up to no good, though I do not know if we should interfere with them or not as it may affect the time line. Or maybe we are supposed to because it is part of the time line? Time Travel 101 is all I've covered in magic theory so that's the best I can do right now. If we meet Einstein, you can ask him to explain the possibilities better than I can."

"So I've come up with a brilliantly stupid idea. Let's just go into the village in our superhero IDs, Robbie's weird hair and outfit will look like a superhero ID to these folks, and see what happens. He can be your sidekick and you can call him Wonder Boy or Wonder Kid."

"Once in town, I need to find the strongest source of magic and it might enable us to get home."

actions: Let's head for the vicarage and then I will do a detect magic on the area. Assuming I get that far into town. bom
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri May 01 2020, 10:02

As they strangely attired trio walked on the cobbled road towards the small village Robbie mentioned about the sea.

"Look out there. Rolling, wild. When we're all gone the sea will still be there." he whispered.

"Huh, I always thought it was wet and tasted like salt. Never thought of it as 'eternal'. Technically you're right, but if the sun should..." started Wonderman. He tailed off as a man on a pushbike came towards them, gaped at their clothes and wobbled past.

A few heartbeats later they heard a crash and he ended up thrown over the dry stone wall lining the road with a buckled front wheel on his downed bike!

Wonderman cringed. "I'm really feeling the need for some clothes." he muttered.

Prof Wynde was detecting magic then stopped walking.

This place positively REEKED of magic, and something else. When he detected, he could feel the magic about this place somehow draining him of magical energy. He knew, without doubt that if they walked into this village he and Wonderman, who was magically derived, would be stripped of their powers and be ordinary folk! What was it about this place? He didn't think the power was malevolent, more that the magic of Caeralwyn somehow defended all within against others with dark powers without, and probably with them having no clue it was happening!

Did they want to walk into a seemingly sleepy village with no magical powers?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri May 01 2020, 11:25

"Well Nutzburger," Prof. Wynde cursed. "Somehow this village will drain all our magical abilities if we enter. Something or someone doesn't want strange magic in this area. I don't think it is evil just determined. If we continue on in, you and I are going to be powerless Wonder Man."

He looks around and thinks for a bit more.

"Maybe ... we can go to the vicar at that church that we can just see? Maybe he can tell us what's going on or get us some other clothes and/or food? Can either of you think of anything else we can do?"

actions - unless they can think of something I'm missing, let's go with that idea and head for the church.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat May 02 2020, 08:37

"If that place is a pub, I quite fancy trying a British Pint." muttered Wonderman. "But I won't steal anything so I guess the church it is. Hopefully the charity of the church can help us."

Robbie shrugged "This wind is cold enough that anywhere is better out of it. Let's go."

Wonderman glanced at Prof Wynde. He was superhuman tough and didn't feel the cold even bear chested as he was. Prof Wynde could redirect the wind around him without effort.

That all changed when they got closer to the village. There was no defined on/off line more of a gradual loss of powers until by the time they walked in on the cobbled road and felt the biting wind bring a chill, even in early May. Summers here probably meant plenty of sun but a chilly wind to dampen the glow that sunshine brought.

The buildings were old stone with thatched roofs and very quaint. Not too many people were on the streets as most would be working at something - there was a fishing industry and many worked on local farms, grafting for long days. Of course the main thing was the draft. All men of 36 years old or lower were conscripted into the army unless they performed a key worker role to keep the railways going or feed the nation. Of course many of those wanted to do their bit so volunteered anyway.

Those that did notice the strangely dressed trio were mostly women and gasped, gaped or tittered as the group walked to the small church.

This was even more of an elderly building that the others and must date back centuries. Time worn but lovingly tended, the church offered sanctuary and peace even in this torrid time.

The thick oak door creaked open and Prof Wynde noted the place was pocked with cuts and chips in the stonework, signifying it had seen action some time ago. On this coast of Britain, the Celts would regularly raid in Roman times and over the centuries the buildings had toughened to withstand attempts to burn them down.

"Can I... help you gentlemen? Perhaps with some less outlandish clothing?" asked the Vicar, a man in his early fifties who saw the trio enter and walked quietly to meet them as they admired the stained glass windows all of which depicted a knight battling various creatures of legend including dragons, demons and other creatures of myth. "We have a donation box of clothes so there's no need to go bare chested young man" said the Vicar of Wonderman.

Only Prof Wynde understood what the Vicar said - it was in Welsh.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat May 02 2020, 15:33

"I don't suppose you speak English," he said in English and a smile, "my two friends do not understand. One of my friends is American, he has a hard enough time understanding the King's English. I can speak Welsh, after a fashion, if you don't."

Use Mystic Knowledge to see if anything around here rings a bell.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun May 03 2020, 07:05

OOC Robbie and Fred are both Americans as far as I know...

"Indeed I do. I spent a lot of time in England when I was training in the clergy." said the Vicar.

"I am Father John, and you are most welcome gentleman to ... ah... clothe yourselves. Though it may be May in Caeralwyn the stiff breeze from the sea means very few of us have chance to enjoy the pleasant sunshine."

Fred smiled and started rooting through the box of clothes. Fishing out a shirt, trousers, boots and a thick woollen jumper with a slightly threadbare jacket he was soon dressed and blending in, though his shock of blond hair did mark him out from the dark colouring of the native Welsh people.

Robbie frowned, picking at the box of clothes. "At least they're clean. Damn, glad the others can't see me now!" He fished out a chunky woollen jumper albeit one with the elbows patched and slightly too big for him, and a long woollen coat.

"Now then chaps, you are clearly visitors. Welcome to Caeralwyn!" said the clergyman with a smile. "Do you have a story to explain your outlandish appearance? We don't often get bare chested men in bright red trousers with their uh, underpants on the outside, or blue haired... or is it green? Anyway, young men with strangely coloured hair or indeed men in turbans and brightly coloured clothes. We've had strangers visit this place in the last day, but you three are the strangest."

Fred glanced at Oliver and then back at the priest. "These strangers... where are they now? We believe some of them might be up to no good."

The priest frowned. "Gentlemen, 'Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves'. Matthew 7:15. For all I know you might be the wolves! Would you tell me who you are and why you came to be here? As far as I can tell... you all fall in the range of age for conscription."

Robbie gasped. "Conscription? What? To fight you mean? In the war???"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun May 03 2020, 08:50

ooc:  Figured Robbie was a Brit since he was going to school there.
ooc2:  Since Insta-Change is an advantage, I think for him it was meant to be a spell, does that mean he reverted to his fancy business suit or still in his superhero outfit unable to return to his original suit?

If stuck in hero clothes, then he rummages through to find something nice and warm and comes close to fitting.
If stuck in his "work suit", Seville Row still the place to go for the best suits?, he will find a nice large warm coat to wear over his suit.  And a hat.  Fedora or whatever might be available and puts the turban inside the coat.  Keeps the mask on, for now.  

[He could be like the Spirit, I don't know if you know him, but he wears a blue suit and hat with mask.  As long as he wears sunglasses over his mask, he isn't recognized but as soon as he takes the glasses off and they see the mask, everyone knows he is the Spirit.    ]

"Well Father John, believe it or not, we are from the 21st Century and got sent back here by magic after battling an evil cult and a dragon, which came back in time with us but seems to be trapped underground," Prof. Wynde says with a grin.  "And we came here seeking a mystical power source to help us get back home.  Robbie ... er ... Wonder Lad here, can show you some of our technology and some of our money.  Got a driver's license on you, Wonder Lad?  Heck, if memory serves most artificial weaves are either just coming out or come out in the next ten years or so.  Nylon, I remember, came out just before the war.  Introduced in that big World Expo in New York, America in 1939 maybe?"

He looks over at Wonder Man for confirmation.

"But rayon, polyester and a few others?  I think that happens after the war ends or during the war it was developed to help with shortages?  Not sure honestly."

If he is in his "work clothes" that means his wallet and money is available to show the good father.  In his supersuit, the fabric would be different than what he is familiar with.

"As to the others who have come here or are on their way, we don't know who they are.  We just know that they went through the same village we did, before we arrived there, and asked for directions to this place.  Caeralwyn is not a bright happy tourist place listed on most tour guides so having three groups of people asking for directions here in the same day?  And after fighting an evil cult using Tommy Guns and finding ourselves here?  Well, we are superheroes or powered costumed crime fighters, whichever term you want to use, so that kind of coincidence is not a coincidence in our book. And the only way to show you our powers means we have to leave the village because something here has block our abilities since our abilities are magical in nature."

Take time to show him what we got and then sit back and let him think about it.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon May 04 2020, 00:46

OOC We may be on different pages. I assumed Prof Wynde to be a Brit working abroad and the initial kids using stuff they don't know the consequences of took place on a University Campus in the US.

Insta Change makes sense to be of magical origin given the nature of his powers so assume he's wearing his finely tailored Saville Row suit. Still stands out but in a rather different way to his Prof Wynde attire.

The Priest listens to Prof Wynde and blinks.

"Heck you baffled me and I've been to the future!" exclaimed Wonderman.

"I... there are rumours of costumed vigilantes but only those we read about in the newspapers or hear about on the wireless. Someone a few months ago who broke up a gangster ring in the United States single handed and another who supposedly stopped a coup in some backwater tinpot dictatorship country." said the clergyman.

"That was Tatonia!" exclaimed Wonderman. "I'd never heard of it either until I jumped into a plane and flew over there. Seems like a lifetime ago, but to you I suppose it seems like a few months."

Robbie shook his head. "You people are crazy!" he stomped off to sit on a pew and crossed his arms, looking away.

The Priest chuckled then went over to the youngster. "Young man, you may be an unwilling participant in whatever is going on but I'm a good judge of character. It's probably my best trait but then I believe there's good in everyone even if you have to search a ways. These two men would not allow harm to come to you as long as they lived, I suspect. Their story sounds... incredible.. and yet... and yet." He turned to Prof Wynde and Wonderman and pondered.

"I'm going to send a message for the Earl. If you gents would care to wait in the Kings Dozen inn, perhaps enjoy a little of the local fayre if you're hungry, I'm hoping the Earl will take time from his schedule to speak to you." He fished in his pockets for a couple of pounds and handed it over. "I'm not a rich man, but I'm happy to help out weary travellers. Besides, I'm not sure why but I suspect you gentlemen are ALL here for a reason."

Fred shrugged and Robbie looked up. "What possible use could I be?" he muttered.

"Like I say, I'm not sure why call it a gut feeling, but I think the Earl will want to speak to you." said the Priest.

=========

"Feels odd not being able to bend steel in my bare hands." muttered Carson as he ducked his head into the inn.

It was a very old place and the ceilings were low. For anyone much over six foot they'd have to stoop. On the walls were antique weapons secured with wire and various coats of arms along with plaques and scripts declaring the history of the place which dated by to medieval times and possibly sooner.

It was quaint, homely and warm with a roaring fire and oak benches with loving carved and detailed tables for patrons. Aside from a few locals in fishing attire and a small group in an alcove by a bay window there wasn't anyone in. The landlady was a buxom rosy cheeked type and came with a friendly, easy smile. "Good morning my lovelies!" she smiled and Fred relaxed, smiling back. She gave him a wink and took orders. The money the Priest had given covered a hearty meal and a couple of drinks apiece with a little left over for change.

"Say..." said Robbie quietly as he peered into the murky liquid the locals called Beer. "That group in the alcove..."

Prof Wynde glanced over. Two men, two women. The women were a brunette and a redhead. The Brunette was in her early twenties and studious looking, in a suit and wearing glasses, hair tied up. The redhead wore a blouse and trousers and looked like a handful with her captivating looks and devilish smile. The men were an athletic looking chap probably in his early thirties having a smoke and an older man, somewhere in his forties but built like he wrestled bears. He glowered about and said little as his three companions made quiet small talk. His steely gaze looked out from beneath bushy brows and he wore a shirt with sleeves rolled up revealing thick powerful forearms with hands scarred from dozens of brawls. His nose suggested he'd taken a fair few hits to the head but given far more, and he was not an attractive man.

"Remember that we don't have any powers in this place." said Fred. "I mean, I'm ok in a brawl but that fellow looks like he could punch this place and knock it down." he said. "That foxy redhead is a real treat for the eyes though. What a dame!"

"Who talks like that?" muttered Robbie.

Just then the door opened and a man in a long dark coat came in. His suit was impeccably tailored like Oliver Smiths but of its time. He removed his hat and glanced about. About six foot tall, slim and with a pencil moustache to go with his impeccable hair and polished demeanour.

Moving to the bar he waited for the landlady to come over. She seemed slightly cooler to him that she'd been to your group. "Ah madam. Would you be so kind as to tell me if the Earl is expected in here today? I've been told he often frequents this place or the White Horse."

The landlady looked ruffled but smiled. "His lordship keeps his own counsel and minds of his own business when he comes and goes, sir. When he does come in, he gets the same welcome treatment as everyone else and he's a gentleman, bless im. A proper diamond in the rough. You'll know if he comes in because there'll be a round bought for the house and he'll not have a word said otherwise as he's digging the money from his pocket!"

"Is there anything I can get you sir?" she asks.

The man stared at the landlady then put on a smile. "No madam, you've been most kind." He turned to where Prof Wynde and the others were stood at the bar and looked at them. It was then Oliver noticed his eye - his left one - appeared to be staring. It was glass, he assumed. There was slight scarring around it too. "Gentlemen." he said coolly, and settled his hat in place, making to leave.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon May 04 2020, 04:18

"So, our two group of visitors," Oliver murmured to his two companions. "All very capable people from the looks of it, who have seen some action somewhere at some time."

His eyes drifted over to the antique weapons, the itch to examine them more closely get stronger and stronger as time went by.

"One of you two want to go outside and see where he goes? Maybe you, Fred, as you are least noticeable of the three of us?"

He gets up to examine the antiques, giving in to his baser instincts.

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 05 2020, 22:19

"Gotcha" said Carson as he grabbed his own hat, gave a glance and a smile at the landlady and left to follow the glass eyed man.

Prof Wynde moved to the wall. There was a small plaque beneath each weapon. 'Kindly donated by the Earl, this weapon has been in his family for hundreds of years and seen a great deal of action! Please do not touch!' it read.

A man in his early fifties walked up, his burly form more suited to hefting barrels of ale than much else, but his friendly face and ruddy cheeks suggested he was a local. He was indeed. "The Earl is a great man. His father before him, a great man. The old Earl's mother was a great lady. The Saint Johns have defended this land whilst people have lived here. A long time indeed sir!"

He smiled and offered a hand. "Jones, the landlord. Alun. My wife is behind the bar and my daughter is about somewhere. I'll give you the same greeting to everyone comes in the Kings Dozen. If you come in peace, be welcome, be comfortable, be merry and behave. If you come to bring bother? You'll find it, in spades!" his bushy brows narrowed... then his face broke out in a beaming smile and he spread his arms "But when you wake up with a sore head you'll find the best pint in Wales waiting for you to take your cares away and no hard feelings! Welcome to the Kings Dozen!"

Alun chuckled, clapped Prof Wynde on the shoulder and moved off to gather glasses.

The hero moved his gaze back to an axe. "SNAGA. The Sender." a simple plaque read under the huge weapon.

Professor Wynde issue #1 - The finer things in life cost! - Page 6 Unnamed-6

"A weapon for a very large man." said a very large man standing behind Oliver. Prof Wynde turned and looked... up.

The burly fellow who'd been sat with the other three in an alcove towered over Oliver. His powerful form looked like it had been in its fair share of battles. His nose had been smashed and reset a number of times. His face was criss crossed with scars and Oliver figured the people on the receiving end of those powerful looking fists had gotten far worse than they'd given!

He was staring at the axe, admiring every curve, it's great length, nigh on fiver feet from tip to tip and the hefty looking blade which would be murderous even to armoured opponents!

"This weapon ... a man would have to be worthy of wielding such a thing. As with the others. That Claymore, the twin stabbing swords ... which look Roman to these eyes. Every weapon in here... there's a polearm in the back corridor that makes this look like a tooth pick!"

He turned his eyes to look down at Oliver and stared at him. Then he seemed to relax a little. "My manners are lacking. I am Owain Thomas. I'm here to visit but..." he looked about, then back at the weapon. "I'm not quite sure why. Does that sound strange? Perhaps not as strange as four people who had never met before yesterday all gathering together to come to a place they'd never been, save to answer some call. Some ... 'Booming' sound only they can hear." he chuckled. "You probably suppose I've had too many of the landlords finest! HA! Given time I will have, and there's not many in this place who'll stay with me I'll warrant! A pint, sirrah, for your name and your business?" he offered, with a hand waved to the bar.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed May 06 2020, 00:31

"Oliver Smith, I deal in antiques," Oliver replies with a smile, "Out of London and other parts of the world, most of which are not accessible for the now. As to a booming, I've not heard it but I think I know of what you speak of. Some say it is a mystical summonings, some say you are daft in the head, some say a test to prove your worth, some say it is nothing but a ringing in your ears. Perhaps, if you find out, you will tell me?"

ooc: Use ID Artifact to see if any of these have some mystical connection or history he might know.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 06 2020, 11:18

OOC infl 10 + three dice occultist + Roll(5d12)+0: 7,8,6,6,2,+0 Total:12 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 2,5,+0 Total:19 (29) vs
OV 9 + Roll(2d12)+0: 6,12,+0 Total:18 (27)

+2 (to 12) EV vs RV9= 3RAPs

1) All of the weapons have once been the possession of a mythical warrior, even if their names are lost to history and the general public knows nothing of them.
2-3) The axe was used to combat demons by the hero Druss, a Celtic warrior from the Dark Ages who strode the land righting wrongs and combating injustice. The Axe itself is cursed and contains the evil spirit of a demon which increases the wielders power and continually tries to influence the wielder to dark inhumane deeds. Only the strongest and most incorruptible of warriors can withstand the axes' power. The Claymore was once the possession of a Scottish Chieftain called Macleod who swore he was immortal. Indeed the stories that surrounded him included wild tales such as being disembowelled, drowned and immolated. As long as the sword was close by he recovered from everything. Only when he tired of battle and handed the blade to a Druid did he rapidly age and die of extreme old age, it is said. A spear is said to be Gae Bulga, the legendary weapon of the Irish warrior Cuchulain. It is said that no one could ever recover from the wounds it inflicted. Cuchulain himself was said to have wielded it and the stories/myths about the Ulsterman are many indeed. The claims of this weapon belonging to the mythical warrior might be disputed, but the weapon itself is typical of the age and many a roman will have died on its edge.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next