The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text)

5 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text) - Page 4 Empty Re: The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text)

Post  smaug Wed Jan 08 2014, 20:52

With a slow wave of his hand, more for show than anything, steve transformed a girder and pile of nerled and twisted concrete reed bars to a molten slag then plunged his arm into it. With a blinding white flash the pile was gone revealing his armoured arm with a series meshing gears, steam powered pistons and long barrels dancing round his now heavily ladened arm like a spinning mechanical daisy but loaded with deadly metal spikes.

Steve just grinned behind his reinforced face plate

"Van Helsing eat your heart out".

His powers had once again read his mind and interperated it into what they needed most....in this case a gatling stake gun.

smaug
Class 4 Hero (Powerful Superhuman)

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text) - Page 4 Empty Re: The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text)

Post  Admin Sun Jan 12 2014, 00:13

OOC Thanks for your patience guys. 60 hours, kids all weekend. Business as usual.

Right then, Lionheart attacks with a Mind Blast. Normally 7APs, boosted to 13APs with 6APs from Power Reserve. Using hero points. (Usually you should allocate HP before dice are rolled. In this case I will assume 6 on Acting, 6 on Effect, 12 in total.)

Attack Roll 6+4 (10) Success, 12RAPs. the guy absorbs 9 points (last ditch defence) but still takes 3 damage and is 'Stunned' - can't take a dice action this round.

Power Reserve is 'fatiguing' and 'attacks' LHs' mental stats in effect. Roll 6+1 (7) he takes no damage.

Lionheart summons the image of a glowing lion about him, his chest and eyes glow and then he 'thrusts' it at the leaping foe...

Light meets darkness.

The lion appears to battle for a moment with the shadowy figure, then seems to be triumphant! The leaping man clutches his head, crashes into the floor and slides several feet before rising to his knees and feet at nigh on superhuman speed. He 'flows' like Lionheart. Well, almost.

With a snarl and feral glare the former prisoner grins. "I already fed, so I'm not that hungry. But it's been sooooo long, I feel like dessert. Who are you? UkChampions?"

Frostbite levels an arm and blasts, hard, at the target!

OOC I assume Frosty uses 5HP on Acting, 5 on Effect to bump Cold Mastery up to 19APs for this blast. I will also assume he goes for a 'critical strike' which makes things a little harder but really packs a punch.

Roll 6+8 (14) Success. Whack. BOOM! 16RAPs, which the guy absorbs 13 points of and takes another 3.

Black Death on 10/13 Body, 6/9 Mind, has spent 22HP so far. Stunned already (it doesn't stack) and knocked back 20 feet.

An Ice bolt slams into the villains head, creating an instant chunk of super hard ice around his head, the weight of which sends him tumbling head over heels backwards to clatter into a wall!

Centurion turns to some metal, wills a vague picture in his head and his power does the rest!

OOC Projectile Weapons 14, Body 14 for his gatling gun stake launcher. What looks like some steampunk fanboys wet dream whirs and clicks into life, even puffing a whiff of steam out the side! Or does it...

Roll 9,1 (10) Failure. By 1 point.

Darn...

Centurions grin falls from his face behind the helmet as the steam powered gatling gun stake flinger thingy forms itself around his forearm, clanks and whirrs into steaming life then gives another, louder hiss.

And clatters to the floor in pieces.

"Yeah. So that's not... quite what was supposed to happen." he mutters.

OOC Initiative. Heroes 4, Bad Guys 4. This time the bad guy goes first.He's faster than he was only seconds ago...

With a roar the Black Death leaps at Lionheart (potentially the greatest threat with that mind blast thing he has going on...)

Except he reaches out with a hand and darkness thrusts out like a hand, snaking dark tendrils thrusting at Lionheart!

OOC Currrent status of Lionheart:

The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text) - Page 4 Lionheart_scores

Annnnnd Frostbite:

The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text) - Page 4 Frostbite_Scores

With Centurions scores at:

The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text) - Page 4 Centurion_scores

(Hint, Dice are fickle. Dave kinda bumps that whole 'fickle' thing up to 'downright nasty' but you only missed the roll by 1 point Ross. If you want to use some of your Hero Point stash, just say how many - you can spend HP to go as far as doubling whatever you are attempting, so for your Fabricate of 15, you could spend 15 points and effectively bump it up to 30 for Acting Value)

Dave - Lionheart is being attacked by the dark tendril hand thing coming at him. It's FAST. Faster than Lionheart is right now. Any special defence you want to attempt (say a full dodge with Acrobatics, or boosting Opposing value with Hero points (state how many), and/or boosting Resistance Value with HP (again, how many). Yeah, Force Field is active.) Once that's done, UPDATE TOMORROW (promise) with Black Deaths attack and same goes for everyone else. My updating has been hopeless but I've only 35 hours to work next week which means I get to have a bit of life. Feel free to announce Frostbite and Centurions actions as well (though Black Death acts before them).
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jan 12 2014, 16:39

Admin wrote:OOC Thanks for your patience guys. 60 hours, kids all weekend. Business as usual.

Dave - Lionheart is being attacked by the dark tendril hand thing coming at him. It's FAST. Faster than Lionheart is right now. Any special defence you want to attempt (say a full dodge with Acrobatics, or boosting Opposing value with Hero points (state how many), and/or boosting Resistance Value with HP (again, how many). Yeah, Force Field is active.) Once that's done, UPDATE TOMORROW (promise) with Black Deaths attack and same goes for everyone else. My updating has been hopeless but I've only 35 hours to work next week which means I get to have a bit of life. Feel free to announce Frostbite and Centurions actions as well (though Black Death acts before them).

OOC: no worries Paul. Clearly the kids come first.

"Oh O" Lionheart chimed as he saw the dark tendrils snake toward him. Although affected by the residual null field, nonetheless no one had reflexs like Lionheart. Gathering his strength for a last minute dodge he got ready to counter attack, if opportunity presented itself. Meanwhile seeing his teammate drawing the fire, Frostbite got ready for another devastating critical blast of icy chill power.

OOC: ok so Lionheart will dodge, using his abilities as mentioned to max that out, if this constitutes a dice action, then for his move action he will move back out of range until he can go for another Psi blast type attack. Assume liberal use of HP as necessary. As regards to Frostbite, again assume liberal use as he repeats the attack as above, but also go for the critical attack. - thanks.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jan 12 2014, 23:43

OOC Lionheart uses 'Dodge' (which takes his attack/dice action from him for the round). That bumps his Opposing value up from 10 (8+2 from Superspeed) to 18 (adding his Acrobatics:8). 'Liberal Hero Point use' - let's say 4 points to bump it up to 22.

Attack Roll 9+9 (18) plus 4+7 (11) Ouch. However, that attack (against any of the others) would really clobber someone. Against the speedster it inflicts 7 points of Body damage (dropping him to 2/9). Absorb the damage with last ditch defence (1-7HP to absorb 1-7 damage) or take the hit and rely on his healing factor in a short while?

The Dark Tendrils race around like snakes and only have to touch, a glancing blow even, Lionheart for him to feel like his skin has been raked with a whip made of fire!

He speeds out of range to avoid further strikes - leaving Centurion and Frostbite to face him!

Frostbite is determined to clobber this guy and get him out of the way, so levels his arm again to blast with his most potent shot!

OOC Have assumed 8 on Acting Value (going up to 22) and 8 on Effect value (up to 22) for Frostbite, then to go for a critical strike against Black Death.

Attack Roll 7+7 (14) DOUBLE plus 8+7 (15). 29 total. Ka-POW!

25RAPs of damage. Pow. Even if Black Death absorbs 13 points, he still takes another 12 points from his remaining 10 Body and goes down. So he doesn't bother, and instead flies through the air, crashing into a wall and sending spidery cracks across the plasterwork!

With a blinding flash of white light and searing cold Frostbite sends a searing bolt straight into the vampiric foe, and he flies backwards to crash into a wall of the large canteen area. The area around the villain is frost coated and Black Death himself is lying prone and out for the count.

Another bad guy put back on ice, but there were plenty more in this place to sort out!

OOC You can take extra precautions with Black Death or move on, looking to get that shield generator back in place and supplying power/shields to the cells in this prison. Admittedly many prisoners will have absconded on seeing their prison cells opening, but their powers might not have instantly returned, unlike this unsavoury chaps'.

Centurion - fancy another go at cooking up a BFG (or whatever the kids call huge stonking weapons in first person shooters these days)? If so, any hero point usage?

The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text) - Page 4 Lionheart_scores
(Absorb that hit with hero points or take it and hope to get a breather to heal?)

The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text) - Page 4 Frostbite_Scores
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jan 13 2014, 08:42

Admin wrote:Another bad guy put back on ice, but there were plenty more in this place to sort out!

OOC You can take extra precautions with Black Death or move on, looking to get that shield generator back in place and supplying power/shields to the cells in this prison. Admittedly many prisoners will have absconded on seeing their prison cells opening, but their powers might not have instantly returned, unlike this unsavoury chaps'.

OOC: "Yeah for us ;-)"

Lionheart rubbed his arm, a grimace on his face as he even look winded, "Nice one boss, but I coulda had him."

Frostbite gave a small knowing smile, but truth be told this was a whole new world.  That this thing could even hit Lionheart was something they'd have previously considered unbelievable.  But it looks like they'd entered into a another level on that front.  

"I'll take care of this guy, till the authorities can restore order, lets get to that machine, the sooner we can lock this place down the better."

With that Frostbite went to put the Darkmantled vampire out cold for a long time.  

OOC: "Not sure if you have a coup de grace as in GH but that is what I'd like to do then ice him over for good measure so that he can't easily escape should he wake up.   

Then when Centurion has finished sorting out his big gun, we can press in deeper to this mystery."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Wed Jan 15 2014, 06:49

"Bah" Steve snorted, 'another time maybe', he thought to himself as he kicked the chucks of ore to one side hoping no one saw his failed attempt. 'That'll teach me to be cocky'.

OOC: I dont trust the black death, be careful Dave when you finish him off. Wooden stake through his heart, fire, decapitation then more fire maybe

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Jan 15 2014, 08:50

smaug wrote:"Bah" Steve snorted, 'another time maybe', he thought to himself as he kicked the chucks of ore to one side hoping no one saw his failed attempt. 'That'll teach me to be cocky'.

OOC: I dont trust the black death, be careful Dave when you finish him off. Wooden stake through his heart, fire, decapitation then more fire maybe

OOC: "Good point, I will have Frostbot tell me if it thinks there is anything to be mindful off.  I might see it out with an ice club rather than chance my own hands touching and or reviving that thing. "

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Wed Jan 15 2014, 17:22

((Just a heads up here guys. The closest thing to what you're describing other then using Critical Strikes would be to attempt to inflict Killing Combat damage. Unfortunately a hero who initiates Killing Combat gives up all the hero point awards for the given adventure they are in. So while it may be prudent thinking to stake him through the heart.. you'll probably give up all your hero points you would be getting for this in the process. He's knocked out for quite a while at this point, plus Frostbite can incapacitate him considerably by entombing him in ice. There's also the fact that he's sitting next to the power dampener that Sentinel just made.. which will continue to drain him of his powers each round.))

Also, Silver Sentinel can make a BFG via his metal manipulation power without using a dice action. So long as the metal he's using is regular steel with no more then 12 Body. It would look something like:

Plasma Caster: Energy Blast 13, Body 12

The advantage is that by using energy blast you're going to use the ENERGY BLAST power for the AV, and not you're dex, which is what you would use with a regular weapon or the projectile weaponry power. This weapon will also be permanent and not fall apart eventually like his Fabricated gadgets eventually do.

dunecat
Class 2 Hero (Low level superhuman)
Class 2 Hero (Low level superhuman)

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jan 16 2014, 07:03

dunecat wrote:((Just a heads up here guys. The closest thing to what you're describing other then using Critical Strikes would be to attempt to inflict Killing Combat damage. Unfortunately a hero who initiates Killing Combat gives up all the hero point awards for the given adventure they are in. So while it may be prudent thinking to stake him through the heart.. you'll probably give up all your hero points you would be getting for this in the process. He's knocked out for quite a while at this point, plus Frostbite can incapacitate him considerably by entombing him in ice. There's also the fact that he's sitting next to the power dampener that Sentinel just made.. which will continue to drain him of his powers each round.))

Also, Silver Sentinel can make a BFG via his metal manipulation power without using a dice action. So long as the metal he's using is regular steel with no more then 12 Body. It would look something like:

Plasma Caster: Energy Blast 13, Body 12

The advantage is that by using energy blast you're going to use the ENERGY BLAST power for the AV, and not you're dex, which is what you would use with a regular weapon or the projectile weaponry power. This weapon will also be permanent and not fall apart eventually like his Fabricated gadgets eventually do.

OOC: "Oh I had no intention of staking the guy through the heart.  Ross is a lot more cut and dried than I am.  No I was thinking of coup de grace followed by ice entombment, but also avoiding touching him, incase he could heal by means of touch, even unconsciously.  But in this day and age, both my heroes have a strict no killing policy.  Before was wartime and that was different unless circumstances change.   But thanks for the tip off good to know what is at stake.  

So Ross out of combat you can fabricate what you want go for it buddy."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 18 2014, 00:17

Frostbite steps up to the downed murderer and applies layer after layer of steel hard ice.

The freezing cold turned the villains skin an unhealthy blue whilst the ice block ensured he would not soon get up.

Lionheart still felt drained. The bracelet had only partially done its job and he would need a few minutes even with his astonishing healing factor to feel better.

OOC Actually, more along the lines of 30 seconds, if you can stay out of a fight that long...

On the big gun (or 'noisy cricket' whatever suits your fancy) Ross feel free to go with the option suggested (Energy Blast 13, Body 12). The Fabricate option gives more power - potentially - but really needs hero points to get the best bang for buck.

Shouts and running footsteps caused Lionheart to look up. His incredible senses picked out half a dozen - or more - people coming this way. The power nullifier could well start to affect them, but some might slip through the 'net' so to speak.

The way through the prison to the core was laid via holes through concrete walls, corridors, and smashed remnants of offices. There were even some cells that had been smashed through.

The occupants were either no longer there, or no longer caring, having been smeared across the walls and floor. A grisly sight.

"STOP RIGHT THERE!" shouted a female voice from some way behind.

Lionheart turned, as did the others. Centurion, at the back of the trio, was closest as he saw a woman with red hair in a bright costume step through the wreckage of the outer wall and look about. Frostbite could feel heat pulsing from her, even from here.

"WHOEVER YOU LOT ARE, YOU CAN GET YER BELLIES N FACES ON TH' GROUND AN' I WON'T HAVE TA BLOW YOUR BACKSIDES OFF..." she bellowed.

The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text) - Page 4 Bombshell

"BUT TA BE HONEST I'M 'OPIN YER MAKE A SCRAP OF IT!" she laughs. "COME ON, LET'S BE 'AVIN YA..."

OOC Hero or villain? And is she alone, or does she have backup?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Jan 18 2014, 08:22

Admin wrote:
"BUT TA BE HONEST I'M 'OPIN YER MAKE A SCRAP OF IT!" she laughs. "COME ON, LET'S BE 'AVIN YA..."

OOC Hero or villain? And is she alone, or does she have backup?

Frostbite looked somewhat curiously at the woman, wondering if she was working for the government forces if she was an outlier for the group, or running around on her own.  

Raising his hands, so that she could see he meant nothing funny, although with heroes and villains that could always be seen in of two ways, he said"Mam, as you can see with the villain we just took down behind me, we are hear to help the authorities contain this mess, not start it.  After all would we remain here, in our uniforms if were part of the prison population?  There is no need for this to turn ugly...but things will get a lot worse if we don't stop others escaping especially from the lower high security section."

Meanwhile Lionheart was doing his best not to agitate the woman, no point in getting into a scrap with a potential ally, assuming she was working for the right people.  He wasn't sure, OOC: "Can I use mind probe in a way that doesn't allow me to be detected, I'd like to see if she is on the up and up.  If so I'll use whatever HP is needed to overcome whatever resistance she might put up.  I appreciate such an act might be construed as an attack, which is why I'd rather not do it if the risk of detection is too great at present."

Lionheart stood by, he realised this woman's fire power, if that is what she wielded would a problem for Frostbite most of all, so he waited till he could be sure what there play was going to be.  

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jan 19 2014, 00:58

OOC Mind Probe is an attack so I guess someone would know they are under mental assault... that said it could be used like a 'trick shot' (makes it harder to succeed) and if you succeed even with that then the attack can sneak under the victims radar, so to speak.

Lionheart can boost Mind Probe from 5 to 13 by using his Power Reserve. HP use on top of that should cancel out the 'trick shot' penalty. I'll assume you go with that.

In the meantime, Lionheart can also ascertain the following:

Danger Sense 2d10 → [8,7] = (15) Success.

Lionheart got that strange sense of danger from the woman. Not from her actions as such... she'd not attacked them and seemed on guard rather than ready to strike, so then from what?

From her powers? And that heat she was giving off?

Not from fire... Radioactivity?

Frostbot spoke in Frostbites' mind. "I have accessed what computer systems and archives are still active in this place, and downloaded the partial database before the core went off line. The appearance of this female matches that of the superhuman known as 'Bombshell'. Whilst her actions were considered heroic when she first made her first superhuman appearance, it was quickly revealed that her powers are nuclear derived, and therefore radioactive. Extremely dangerous, in other words, not just to those she is seeking to arrest, but also to those she is protecting!" Frostbite was aghast - whatever else this womans' intentions were, her powers could prove lethal to those around her simply by using them! Did she know? Did she think she could somehow control them? And if so, what would happen if they went out of control?

He glanced at the power nullifier. Would that interfere with her powers, make them safe? Or would it have the opposite effect and send them spiralling out of control?

Lionheart tried his Mind Probe, using as gentle a 'push' as he could...

OOC Roll 2d10 → [4,9] = (13) Success...

Lionheart caught images of the womans childhood... a mother and father steeped in nuclear research, the child cooped up in a playpen in the corner. Tests, injections, extended stays in hospital... a mother dying from radiation sickness, a father desperate to save his wife and daughter, failing with the wife, experimenting on himself, then his daughter.

He succeeded in saving his daughters life... She grew up apparently normal, but manifested strange traits in her teenage years. Those around her would suffer from radiation sickness. She learned to rein in her emotions, develop self control, tried her best to help others... A warning from the UKChampions, not to use her powers, one she took seriously after realizing the consequences.

Now, this morning, seeing this unfolding disaster, she'd donned the suit and flown here, as fast as light apparently... Determined to keep her powers in check, but realising that the only way to stop the monsters in this prison would be to use here full might!

Ashley Moran. Her name. Aged 22. She lived in North Yorkshire, on a secluded moor in a farmhouse.

A farmhouse surrounded by parched land on which nothing would grow.

Lionheart saw all of that, and more in a heartbeat. He also knew that ultra dense materials that would stop radioactivity might help block her powers, but staying on her good side might be even more effective...

OOC So yeah, Lionheart figures she's not a villain, but circumstances might turn her into one despite her best intentions!

Fatiguing check for Power Reserve: 2d10 → [7,1] = (8) No damage.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jan 19 2014, 21:01

Admin wrote:From her powers? And that heat she was giving off?

Not from fire... Radioactivity?

"Bombshell...right?" Frostbite asked as he tried to engage with the girl, his hands still raised in a non threatening manner.  

"I have a source that tells me your powers are derived from Radioactive sources, and I know that can be bad for all people, even these.  So I think, as bad as this situation is, it might be in everyones best interest if we do not let you poison everyone here, prison guards, prison cells, and the prisoners...what do you think?"

Lionheart was impressed, Frostbot clearly had clued Frostbite into what he'd ascertained by means of his mind probe.  One thing for sure was this girl was a real risk right where she stood.  Someone had to help her, but right now, who was going to help them if she went nuclear on them?

Lionheart stood the best chance of getting this girl safely back to her home, but then what?  She could just return or decide that the next time a super villain got out of hand to intervene?  

Lionheart stood ready, to act, waiting on her response to Frostbite's overtures.  

OOC: "If she decides she isn't going to listen then I think we'd need to take her out and Lionheart will use his Psi power to fire an offence off asap to take her down."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Sat Jan 25 2014, 14:25

Although the slim young woman walked in on them as steve was about to make his greatest creation yet, god he feel like a kid in a sweet shop with the ideas running around in his still frankly adolescent head, he still felt for the woman. If what his team mate was saying was indeed true innocent people around her would get sick as well.
He recognised her tone straight away for its the same tone he used time and time again, hiding behind 'I'll fight the world if I have to attitude' when really she just wanted to help and was scared. Was he wrong?

"Sorry about him, what he means is we can help" steve said in a slow calming manner deactivating his face guard.
"Would you allow me to use the lead from the pipes around here to make a special suit to shield your abilities from others you dont wish to harm, it would be light like a second skin......if not we can always try it your way". He was taking a big risk but he was sincere, he was truly a man of extremes good people deserve a chance and the deep down wicked should be smighted for he had seen wars driven by men who not only killed for he believed sometimes it was necessary but were capable of mass genocide. Men like that should nipped in the bud before they have a chance to bloom.

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jan 26 2014, 00:05

The newcomer looked at Frostbite, then Centurion...

She was about to speak but hesitated.

Lionheart waited for the telltale sign that she would use her powers, make a move, unleash the deadly force that was hers to command, then he frowned.

His probe had been so complete that there'd been much to absorb and he had looked at it as a whole, then selected certain details to come to the fore. Now other details made themselves apparent...

A man in his fifties, handsome, immaculate goatee beard, 'speaking' to her mind from afar. Compelling her to come here... Against her will. She'd protested, but he argued that only she could save lives and her powers would, in this case, be vital. Specifically that of being able to absorb nuclear radiation and vent it later as...

Lionheart suddenly winced, then looked at the ground at his feet. There was a distant rumble, and the lights, already flickering, went out, pitching the place into darkness save where holes in the roof let dim light - and teeming rain - into the building. Somewhere in the vast prison, in the levels below ground, the power generator for this vast self sustaining facility had been interfered with.

A facility that used nuclear fission to power great generators to provide hundreds of megawatts of energy that powered the energy shields on the cells...

In his minds eye he seemed to race through the facility at the speed of light, through shady corridors with running, shouting criminals, sparking panels, spewing pipes and fluttering papers... down... down... Past the cell levels, engineering workshops, storage warehouses and lower still.

The reactor. He couldn't make the details out of the half dozen or so men in there who worked busily at dials and controls, nor those of engineers and guards who'd been battered and cast aside... Instead Lionhearts' danger sense...

OOC Danger Sense Roll 6+7 (13) Success plus determine location of danger

...told him that the reactor had been set to go into meltdown!

Not only would this prison be utterly destroyed, but this area of Wales would be rendered uninhabitable in a Chernobyl style disaster!

The girl smirked "You look like you've seen a ghost!" she chuckled nervously. "Look, you won't believe this, but I was told to come here and that my powers would - for once - be really useful, even if anyone nearby needs to be careful not to fall sick. Heh. That's my power. I make people sick." She gave a sad smile. "So I'm guessing you're the good guys, right? Saying that, I've been wrong before..."

She thought for a moment "This lead suit. Will it make my bum look big?"

Suddenly the walls rumbled, dust fell from everywhere and light fittings in the ceiling exploded!

OOC And things are going from crazy to bonkers... You have a choice gents.

Stop the bad guys from running amok...

Or escaping...

Or stop that reactor from going nova and making a large hole where this part of Wales used to be!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jan 26 2014, 14:18

Admin wrote:The newcomer looked at Frostbite, then Centurion...

OOC Danger Sense Roll 6+7 (13) Success plus determine location of danger

...told him that the reactor had been set to go into meltdown!

Suddenly the walls rumbled, dust fell from everywhere and light fittings in the ceiling exploded!

OOC Stop the bad guys from running amok...

Or stop that reactor from going nova and making a large hole where this part of Wales used to be!

Frostbite was about to reply, when Lionheart cut him off.  "No time for niceties, however our friend here has been summoned, she is possible the only thing between us and nuclear meltdown.  This prison is powered by a reactor, nuclear and its going into overdrive.  The thing will leak and explode in short order if we do not get ourselves down their pronto.  The prison, the prisoners its going to be for nothing if we don't shut the reactor down."

Its at times like these that Frostbite felt both the nail biting shock of fear and anticipation.  He never sought leadership, it seemed to have sought him.  And here again he was faced with impossible odds and impossible decision.  But decide he must.  

Turning to his internal conscious computer he ordered information on the fastest route down.  He himself could easily disperse though the solid floor, even bring this diminutive lady down with him, but would either survive.  Alternatively Lionheart could run faster than any, if only a route down could be sought that allowed them time.  Besides which his fast healing would allow no permanent damage to take place being near Bombshell.  

OOC: "Ok fastest route down, for Lionheart carrying Bombshell, Frostbite can go through the floor till he is on the same level, although he might not be able to stay for long.  So better idea would be to try and get the null field up for a long as power can be drawn to cut down the chances of supers getting away."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 30 2014, 00:23

Frostbot spoke in Frostbites head

"There is a service elevator shaft running to the lower floors. Access in the lift is impossible thanks to automatic safety lockout in case of emergency, but you or your companions have sufficient abilities to ignore the reinforced lift structure."

"The defensive mechanisms in the lift shafts and service ducts have been disabled. The backup power that still supplies essential systems has been interrupted thanks to the meddling with the reactor. All power is running solely from backup batteries which last no more than a minute to feed this installation with enough power to illuminate emergency lighting and open all feed vents to to the outside with the air conditioning deactivating."

"After that total lockdown will occur, with bomb rated blast doors designed to hold in what prisoners remain and contain the radiation for as long as possible. It will turn into a tomb should the reactor fail."

Frostbite considered that. The reactor suffering a critical failure would irradiate the place so badly that those inside would already be dead by the time the doors slammed down, killed by the intense radiation either immediately or soon after.

Lionheart moved to carry Bombshell, but she laughed at the notion. "I would burn your skin, purely through touch!" she said, ruefully. "I will follow you, and what barriers you cannot break down, I shall burn through."

Frostbite needed little in the way of doorways and the like but wondered if his power of intangibility was up to the task of getting through these thick, shielded walls.

Frostbot spoke up "Some of the walls in this place are too dense even for you to move through. You will find the task somewhat tiring. Of course, you may decide to push beyond all known limits - as usual - and ignore my perfectly sensible advice..."

Lionheart shrugged and added "Keep up then."

Bombshell smiled, then started to glow, causing those around to shield their eyes "Sorry" she said, in a voice that came out like static. "THIS is my natural form these days. I lose physical form when I fly, but can better control my radioactivity."

Frostbite looked at the young woman. In order to reduce the risk of killing anyone and anything near her, she had to live the majority of her life in isolation in this energy form. He wondered if Wandafar might be able to do something for her, but for now they had to get down there and stop the radiation meltdown... somehow."

=========

Lionheart sped to the service elevator. It was shut and locked...

But not for long. Crrrrrrrunch! Went the reinforced metal doors as they bent and twisted in his hands. Centurion stepped up, shook his head and chuckled before gesturing at the metal.

It simply parted, neatly and without sound!

With a point of the finger the floor parted, revealing the lift shaft below, going deep, deep into the ground. It was dark, but Bombshells searing light would shine and fill the corridor. Somewhere in the prison explosions were ringing out.The group ignored them, and sped down into the darkness.

Everywhere red flashing lights spun with a klaxon going off. "REACTOR CORE BREACH. MELTDOWN IN T MINUS 1 MINUTE" said a shaky female automated voice, crackling and buzzing.

Somewhere in the darkness below there was a shining glow filtering through the thin gap in the elevator doors. Quite literally, the the shaft ran down, deep, miles probably.

Frostbot added "The facility utilizes the tunnels from an abandoned mine most likely."

Lionheart led the way, soaring down through the darkness. Still weakened, he wondered if his amazing regenerative power would protect him from the radiation. His force field might stop some of it, for a while... He looked at the others. They faced a danger that might kill them instantly, or slowly, over time. Would even their superhuman endurance resist the sheer hard radiation pulsing from that room in the subterranean distance?

Bombshell followed, buzzing white light barely held in check by the power of her will. "You have... no idea... how hard it is... to stay ... like this..." she said. Centurion watched as she dropped down the lift shaft. Rather than fly she seemed to 'flit' like a will-o-the wisp, arcing from space to space and reforming in a human shape. "Straight lines are...my thing" she explained. "look at a place... then go there..."

Somewhere above a HUGE explosion rang out and rocked the shaft. Probably more inmates, escaped and having recovered their powers (at least partially) were making sure this place held no one ever again!

Something puzzled Lionheart. If the reactor meltdown were caused by prisoners having escaped down here, how on earth would they get out in time? What reason would they have to kill themselves, everyone in this place and for miles around? It didn't make sense.

The group soared down through the darkness, aware that time was running out. At the bottom of the deep shaft an intense light started to fill the shaft...

Bombshell turns to the others. "I should go... in first... see what is going on..."

OOC Straight into the jaws of death, regardless of what lies beyond the melting elevator doors? Send someone in? Is Centurion going to cook up a gadget?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jan 30 2014, 07:06

Admin wrote:Bombshell turns to the others. "I should go... in first... see what is going on..."

OOC Straight into the jaws of death, regardless of what lies beyond the melting elevator doors? Send someone in?  Is Centurion going to cook up a gadget?

OOC: "Ok my suggestions are these, Centurion does indeed use his powers to equiphimself with more durable Radioactive resistant armour.  He of all of might well be able to do this better.  Lionheart will switch on his forcefield and try and amp it up, but only as needed, also paying attention to his danger sense and what other input he can get from his other senses.  Frostbite will go Intangible/dispersed, so that he is ready for anything.  Then we'll let Bombshell take point."

With a nod in Frostbite's direction, Lionheart stepped to one side, "After you mam..." He said with a florid mock bow.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 03 2014, 23:53

OOC Will update tomorrow morning and auto pilot Centurion with something appropriate if Ross hasn't had a chance to check in. Plenty of metal about, he could go for a suit, an exo skeleton, heck even a tracked robot, giant gun thing, sonic blaster, stun grenades etc... He can fabricate just about anything, and is limited by his imagination and the number of different effects he wants the gadget to have, pus the amount of power he wants it to pack.

Saying that, if he uses hero points, gets a good roll... in theory he could knock out a megaton nuclear weapon...

Update in the morning (Tuesday) after I drop the kids off at school :S
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 06 2014, 00:07

OOC Centurion in NPC mode...

Centurion turned to the metals in the lift shaft and summoned them to him.

They flowed like liquid to form a tight sealed suit around him with a micro perforated face screen. The plates interlocked and formed a tight seal. Though it was heavy, with a layer of lead used in its construction, Centurion embued it with servo motors to grant him superhuman strength.

OOC Powered Armour, Hardened Defences, Body 17*, Sealed Systems 17, Strength 18, Energy Absorption 17. Can't be taken away in combat +1 CS. Using Hero points on Acting and Effect value, 10 on each. Roll 2d10 → [9,5] = (14) Success. 12RAPS meaning totally reliable and the suit lasts for 4 hours. The Body* means that it substitutes for Sentinels Resistance Value when he's struck. Centurion has 73 Hero Points remaining.

It wasn't pretty, but the bulbous 10' high suit encapsulated Centurion and gave him absolutely tremendous superhuman strength! Furthermore it made him practically invulnerable to Radiation and the air supply would last for days thanks to future tech level internal air circulation and refining.

With a blank metal faced nod at the others Frostbite turned intangible, Lionheart raised his force field and Bombshell gave the thumbs up before stepping up to the door and placing a hand on it...

BANG!!!!

The doors were - quite literally - blown off as their molecules were agitated to the point that they exploded!

Inside was a vast room, pipes and machines running round the walls. In the centre of the football field sized room was a large (40m high) cylindrical tube measuring several metres across and filled with a pulsing blue light, although the steam spurting from various cracks in the walls of the thing suggested it would soon change its status from 'dangerous' to 'lethal'!

There were a dozen people stood near the reactor. One was costumed but it was difficult to tell the details because the individual was covered with a foot of water that stayed with them like a bubble about their person.

He was forming a shape like an arch made of water near the reactor.

Another man, dressed in prison fatigues, was - somehow - transmuting the water into stone simply by placing a hand into it!

An older man, also in prison fatigues, had a hand on the reactor and was glowing brighter and brighter.

What looked to be a man in fancy dress with red skin, cloven hooves for feet and horns on his head stood overlooking things, his tattered prison fatigues hanging off his seven foot plus frame.

The energy from the leaking reactor was flashing and revealing a dome of almost invisible energy about the group. The other people were dressed in orange prison fatigues. They looked like ordinary humans... save for a couple who were twisting and convulsing as they took on a transformation from human to some demonic being with the heads of fierce animals (one a wolf, the other a snake) and other traits of those beings.

The explosion of the doors attracted their attention, and the red skinned man called out "Carry on! We shall take care of these interlopers!"

Bombshell took to the air, glowing like the sun and lighting up the chamber!

OOC Initiative Heroes 4, Bad Guys 5. Announce actions and I'll work out (will need some going through) the order of actions. Normally Lionheart would go first but he's suffering the effects of the power dampener. The reactor and the bad guys stood next to it are around 50 yards from your current position. There is cover available in the form of servers, banks of computer consoles and various pipes and metal conduits that supply cooling gases to the reactor.

They are clearly doing something with the reactor, and the water guy is helping the stone guy form a stone arch for some reason... but what?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Feb 06 2014, 07:31

Admin wrote:
They are clearly doing something with the reactor, and the water guy is helping the stone guy form a stone arch for some reason... but what?

OOC: "Ok the main thing is Centurion makes sure that he keeps Bombshell safe, without her we're all in deep trouble.  The rest of us can take on the new intruders, whilst Centurion can fire on from where he is and then get Bombshell in when the moment presents itself.  

In the meantime, Frostbite and Lionheart will use what cover they can, until its their turn to attack.  Frostbite will blast the water born man, disrupting the whole chain of events going on here.  He will go for Critical strike and use HP to offset any limitations to Hit and to maximise effect.  Whilst Lionheart will Attack with Mind Blast on the one giving the orders.  He will again use HP to go for a critical strike, off setting any negatives that make hitting harder and effect lower.  Otherwise we'll stay put for now, trying to make the most of where we are to best attack them from cover."

As regards Ross, he is around, just that I think he forgets to check the website as I think he does it on his phone and might not always see the email reminders or updates.  Shame, I could chase him if you want?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Sat Feb 08 2014, 14:17

OOC: Sorry lads. Thanks fir stepping in Paul I was going to do pretty much the same only with the lead piping upstairs but then again that would probably be fairly soft in combat.

The supers near the reactor are obviously trying to over power it right? And im also assuming that if we miss with any ranged attacks it could get a tad worm in here? So we need to go hand to hand with these punks (Steve prefers it that way anyway). What if we cool the reactir while our young lady sees if she can stabilises it and the others beat the snot out of them. Right body guard duty it is then so try to block any shots at bombshell and morph a chain fist to get a few smacks in before I die.

P.S. I think the stone arch is some kind of gate way......dont think they want to escape probably more interested in pulling something through to are side.

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 10 2014, 00:15

OOC Ross - Correct Smile

With arcing lights flashing and pulsing throughout the large reactor room, it was clear that something was going on, some transfer of power that would leave the reactor depleted and no doubt in a dangerous state of being that would see it go into meltdown...

Bombshell, herself a bright white light in the air, turned to the group "Someone is draining the power of the reactor... I think... I think they may have the power to convert it to something else. The radiation levels are high, but there is a prisoner in amongst that mass that is absorbing all that... and changing it into something else!"

The energy dome seemed to shimmer as one of the men in orange prison clothes stepped through it. Then he vanished!

Lionheart with his superhuman senses and super speed (albeit somewhat reduced) knew he was dealing with a speedster, and one that was faster than he was, even on his best day!

"Whothehellareyoupeopleandwhatdoyouthinkyouaredoing?Doyouwanttodie?" he asked, before grinning and transmuting into a blur of motion!

OOC Attack on Lionheart. Do you wish to spend anything on defence?

Frostbite saw one of the men step from the 'safety' of the energy dome that encapsulated the group and vanish, then saw another leave and take to the air. He didn't say anything, simply looked over to where the large metal form of Centurion stood in the doorway. Thrusting a hand out, his hand started to glow white...

OOC Attack on Centurion... anything spent on defence or take what they are dishing out?

Frostbite made it behind a large server/computer bank. Still dispersed, he felt a drain on his mind, like a nagging headache.

OOC Dispersal is fatiguing for Frostbite. What this means is that it 'attacks' him every round. I *assume* that you use Dispersal at 4APs, less than half its max level, until you up it to 10. At 4, it would need a very high roll to affect Frostbite and I don't bother rolling every round. Once you up it to 10, it needs a roll of only 9 on 2D10 to start inflicting damage on Frosty. Whenever you're attacked and need to defend, just state 'standard dispersal' or 'full dispersal'. Full obviously gives max defence. In addition you can disperse just one part of your body, like a hand. That means your own attacks won't be reduced, but there is a chance that your hand might be struck while it is solid.

A bit of crunch but it is this games version of the frankly awesome power that Intangibility was in GH.

He looked past the edge of the server and saw the two animal hybrids come out of the energy field. One was sniffing the air, the other (the snake man) flowed like water out of sight and leaving his clothes behind. Somewhere in here was a 40' long python!

All of a sudden the wolf man leapt on top of the server stack Frostbite was hiding behind! With a roar he crouched and threatened to land on Frosty!

OOC Ok, this is a group battle, update tomorrow and Tuesday, will try one a day this week but you know the score - kids, work, life etc blah. Will try my best.

ROUND 1 SUMMARY - PART A

1) Lionheart is being attacked by a speedster. Defence? What's his response against this guy, or sticking to the plan to hit those inside that dome?

2) Centurion is being blasted by a flying prisoner. No clues as to the effect but it won't be a mild tickle. Whatever else is going on in here the perpetrators have been selective and chosen those prisoners who can best help them secure their aims. The most powerful they could get in the time allowed, then. Centurion, any response to being blasted? And your own actions?

3) Bombshell is being targeted by the Demon type guy in the field.

4) Frostbite is being stalked by the Wolf Man. Currently part dispersed (4APs, see above) you have the option of using more dispersal (up to 10 points) and going partial dispersed, leaving a hand unprotected but giving you full power attack. Your actions - attack the Wolf Man or go for those in the dome?

5) Inside the dome are more prisoners and those others described. That shimmering energy dome around them may provide protection of some kind. Indeed, to Lionhearts senses it looks kind of '3D' in that it seems there is a red, blue and a green dome one on top of another.

You will have your hands full with this one, I guarantee it.

If you are using hero points, state how many, and what for, for example:

A) Attacking
B) Defence
C) Damage
D) Resistance
E) Damage reduction

Then how many points after the letter. For example, Lionheart, Hero Points, B5, D5, EALL means he is spending 5 on Defence, 5 on resistance and absorbing any damage that gets through with hero points (the ALL part). Hopefully that makes it easy for you guys. If not, I will think of something else!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Feb 10 2014, 07:17

Admin wrote:OOC Ross - Correct Smile

A) Attacking
B) Defence
C) Damage
D) Resistance
E) Damage reduction

Then how many points after the letter. For example, Lionheart, Hero Points, B5, D5, EALL means he is spending 5 on Defence, 5 on resistance and absorbing any damage that gets through with hero points (the ALL part). Hopefully that makes it easy for you guys. If not, I will think of something else!

OOC: "Good call Ross, I hadn't thought that about the reactor.

Ok so lets go for a spread of HP on Def and Res, for Lionheart against this speedster and Frostbite.  Lets be honest both are pretty beaten up and this could really prove to be our Waterloo.  Anyway, I need to get ofey with the rules on attack and defence.  In GH you used to borrow future rounds, which meant you could do less when your turn came up, I think (if I remember correctly) its not dissimilar.  But that means, with less actions allowed, that you end up just defending all the time.  So this round I'll go for defence and resistance, and depending on how that pans out, might go just on resistance so that I can still get to attack.  Strange thing is, that this is probably the first time we've lost initiative, before hand we would never give up the chance to attack, now we might have to whilst the shoe is on the other foot.  As regards to HP spent, whatever it takes to resist damage basically."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Feb 12 2014, 23:50

Lionheart, slowed by the nullifying power of the inhibitors throughout this place just needed a breather to recover from his injury. Unfortunately this guy was so fast he wasn't likely to get it!

OOC Lionheart has 'only' 10 Dex using his 2 Superspeed at the moment. I assume that Lionheart will throw his Power Reserve into Superspeed to boost it from 2 to 10 points. He runs the risk of a nasty headache, but only if the rolls are unkind.

Ahem.

With an extra 8 points his Dex goes up to 18. Spending 4HP boosts that to 22. Spending 6HP on Resistance means his RV goes from 16 (Body plus Forcefield) to 22.

Bad guy attacks.

2d10 → [9,1] = (10) Missed. By 1.

Also, Fatiguing check for Power Reserve - 2d10 → [1,9] = (10). Failed, by 1. Hey, not me, it's invisible castle... For once its not clobbering you Razz

With blurring hand speed the speedster fires his fingers out at Lionhearts face, again and again, faster than most eyes could see! Most, but not Lionheart!

"IhardenedmyhandsinsandwhenIgotmysuperspeed. Thenagainststone. Theyarefastenoughandhardenoughtocutthrough... WILL YOU JUST STAND STILL AND DIE!!!" he screams as Lionheart weaves, ducks, dodges and rolls away from the strikes!

The onlookers gasped as Lionheart became a blur, matching that of the inhumanly fast speedster who threatened to slash into the hero with stone hard hands!

The prisoner stood back, red faced more through indignation than effort. Lionheart was astonishingly fast, this guy? He was a whole level or three higher!

OOC Lionheart is able to use a DICE action - i.e. his attack now - to recover instead of attacking. Thanks to his regeneration and enough time passing (32 seconds) he just needs to spend a round doing just that. It's a simple roll (3 or more I think) to have his Superspeed restored to its full level then. Or you can declare an attack. This guy is fast, and probably tricky to hit, but Lionheart has more than one weapon at his disposal.

Just waiting for Ross to reply and will resolve your attacks.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next