The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text)

5 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text) - Page 2 Empty Re: The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text)

Post  Admin Mon Nov 04 2013, 01:00

Lionheart activated his force field and blasted from the plane, smashing through the driving rain and deepening gloom to head towards the prison...

Immediately his Danger Sense alerted him to impending peril and a quick look revealed automated mini guns on the roof of several prison buildings rotating to target him! Clearly this place didn't mess about when it came to keeping the inhabitants safely locked up!

Still, the Force Field should keep him protected, he figured. He mentally switched his psychic energy to increase his  speed (OOC Assumed a POWER RESERVE split of 6 to Superspeed and 2 to Mind blast, so from 8 to 14APs superspeed and from 7 to 9APs Mind Blast. This power is FATIGUING and a roll of 2d10 → [10,6] = (16) means Lionheart takes 3APs of MIND damage.
You can take that damage (dropping him to 6 Mind (from 9)) or absorb it by spending 3HP and take no damage)
and the power of his Mind Blast.

Bullets zinged through the air, lighting up the dark sky as they flashed past Lionheart. Despite being blasted from a high velocity minigun the bullets moved as if in slow motion! Even so, the sheer volume meant that when Lionheart got closer the chances were some of the bullets would strike home...

His incredible senses were able to give him some warning of what he was facing. The three fellows tearing up chunks of scenery and tossing it at hapless prison guards were dressed in prison suits and all looked similar thanks to shaven heads and various tatoos and whatever skin was on show.

Lionheart was in no doubt they were embued with at least superhuman speed, strength and durability. The weight of stone they'd tear up looked to be at least of several tons in weight. In addition they moved with a fluidity suggesting no ordinary human being, and the way bullets flattened against their skin - shredding parts of their prison suits but not even marking their skin - made it clear Lionheart would be in for a scrap, one he was up for!

There was something else.

Lionheart soared ever closer to the invisible field of null energy that might threaten to drop him from the sky, powerless!

OOC Don't worry about the rules, just state actions and where you may miss something that someone better versed in rules would take advantage of, I'll offer it as an option. As for the job, I'm hoping things get easier in the next month or so because I'm due more days off at work (just how the roster falls, mon-fri shifts are generally the longest for me) and I'm glad I'm off that part of the roster - for now. Starts again in 5 weeks or so. Will update Frosty and Sentinel in the next post, then Lionhearts follow up to this will involve him either dropping like a rock from the sky or swooping down to fly through the hole Minotaur made.

Lionheart
Force Field (7) active (16 RV)
Flight 8
Superspeed 14
Mind Blast 9
Power Reserve 8
Either takes 3 Mind damage or loses 3HP
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text) - Page 2 Empty Re: The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text)

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Nov 04 2013, 07:16

OOC: "Ok good to hear that the job offers some measure of 'balance'."

Lionheart pulled on his reserves as he once again stretched his abilities to compensate for the demands the situation placed him under. OOC: "i.e. yes will use three HP to off set fatiguing and the drop of mind.  Not yet thanks very much."

As he saw the prisoners throwing up rocks, he figured that whilst he still had the element of surprise he could try and take them quickly and especially if the dampening field did effect him, this would be over pretty quickly.  

Readying his capable mind, he shot a beam of invisible but discernible force from his mind at the most dangerous or enthusiastic of the three.  OOC: "Ok go for Mind Blast on the dude whom looks most dangerous, if thats really not obvious roll a dice ;-).  Then Lionheart will push in and get ready for retaliation and go for a counter attack when opportunity comes.  My intention is to push past these guys and get into the complex.  Won't know if I can do it, until I can do it.  Fortune favour the bold."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 04 2013, 23:32

After Lionheart had left the craft, Solarl turned and addressed Centurion

"Consider what metal in the craft to be yours. The framework of the body is of a light alloy, but the panels are of a homegrown fibre that may not be useful to you. It was built that way to avoid radar but it seems that the system in the prison has been upgraded to not only detect low radar signature vehicles but the electronic systems on board. In fact, given that Wandafar is capable of making future technology that should be near impossible for conventional systems to detect, there must be a high probability that I am the electromagnetic field that the prisons weapon systems have locked on to." she said. Having come to that conclusion, she waved a hand at the controls of the craft. "Therefore, I shall take my leave."

And she vanished!

Frostbot took control of the vehicle but admitted, via the ships tannoy system "I can control the vehicle in a rudimentary fashion but I am not competent in high speed manoeuvres. I suggest you take what metal you need, Frostbite re-absorb me, then set the vehicle to crash away from the prison, thus throwing off any potential threat from automated systems of the prison."

Centurion concentrated and detected metal in the electronic systems, the framework and the engines, as well as the components that fed those systems. There were minimal weapons, and those were of the non lethal variety, designed to stun or bring foes down with electrical impulses or even such things as expanding fibre nets.

With a thought he willed metal from all the non-vital systems he could find, and the floor split as metal flowed like a liquid, living thing over his skin!

OOC Standard Sentinel suit (flight, energy blast, strength, protection?) Ross?

Once that was done, Frostbot directed the plane towards a distant hillside and the pair bailed out, soaring out into the dark gloom of the pounding rain and dark grey skies. Ahead the energy 'null' field would either cut their powers out, or prove little in the way of an obstacle. Of course the prison would throw up other challenges, such as 'mini guns' and stun blasts. It seemed clear that the place had been compromised and all automated systems set to attack all incoming fliers, regardless of who they were. In fact it could represent a threat to any civilian aircraft that flew near the place, and shutting down the defence systems would have to be a priority...

OOC Do you want to fly towards the prison or make your way at ground level? If your powers cut out (testing all three characters in the morning) you'll have a long way down without being able to fly... or withstand the impact on the floor!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Nov 05 2013, 07:58

Admin wrote:After Lionheart had left the craft, Solarl turned and addressed Centurion

OOC Do you want to fly towards the prison or make your way at ground level? If your powers cut out (testing all three characters in the morning) you'll have a long way down without being able to fly... or withstand the impact on the floor!
OOC: "I think it best we fly fast but low, that way we can avoid the worst, and hopefully Centurion can absorb whatever projectiles and guns we encounter on the way."

Frostbite glowed for a moment as Frostbot and he merged once again, their mutual relationship one that puzzled those who looked on.  And after directing the Centurion to the ground, they flew fast and straight knowing that dampening field or not, the prison was their main objective.

OOC: "I'll remain dispersed from the point when we start to face the base defences. "

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 06 2013, 23:52

Ahead on his own, Lionheart sped towards the prison...

OOC Right then, this crunch stuff won't mean much. The power attacking Lionheart is the Neutralize power with the Area effect (increased area) and a Multi Attack bonus. It will attack four powers at a time on every superhuman within range. The first powers to be attacked will be those that the character is using at the time, then any defensive abilities and the characters strength attribute (considered a super power if it's 6 APs or more). That's the boring stuff out of the way. One roll, attack four of Lionhearts abilities...

2d10 → [10,7] = (17) Oh. Ouch?

Right, Lionheart uses his Telekinesis (7) to fly, which propels him through the air at 7-2 (characters weight) speed, or 50mph. That's not a great issue and actually might mean he doesn't hit the floor so hard because...

Because... hold on a cotton picking minute. Lionheart has (effectively) 22 Dex. That changes things. A lot.

With his Danger Sense screaming blue murder in his head, Lionheart entered the the 'null field' and could feel something trying to drag his powers from his body! With that in mind he quite literally shimmered and weaved through the air in an erratic fashion that even the most accurate computer couldn't match!

He landed (OOC I presume) inside the prison walls and sped across the courtyard into the hole made by the Minotaur a short time before. His senses alive, he knew he had to maintain his increased speed as his blurring form flitted from corridor to corridor, looking for sign of the behemoths passing.

OOC Fatiguing check. 2d10 → [9,1] = (10) No damage taken.

OOC Lionheart notes several things:

1) Minotaur makes his own doors, and has caused severe structural damage to some of the supporting walls in this part of the prison. A collapse is imminent, and may endanger the guards fighting in the large courtyard outside.
2) The Null field is constantly attacking him. Every moment he is within range of this place, an attack is made on him. His astonishing Dexterity is preventing him from being drained of his powers. His friends are nowhere near as Dextrous, and will be encountering severe debilitating problems very soon...
3) The three super criminals in the courtyard are really socking it to the guards. There will be casualties pretty soon...
4) Lionheart should be able to catch up to Minotaur pretty quickly if he ignores all the other stuff going on. He's currently stood in a corridor strewn with reinforced (shattered) concrete. Alarms are blaring. The wall in front has a huge hole in front of it. Dust and rubble cloud the area. The walls are shuddering and the ceilings are falling in with chunks of masonry crashing to the ground below. Lionheart can hear crashes every few seconds as the Minotaur continues to smash a hole directly through the prison, which is no mean feat - each wall is a couple of feet thick.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 06 2013, 23:56

OOC Will post up what happens to Frosty when his Dispersal is sorted out - that may mean the difference between neutralized and not. Centurion is going to have some serious problems I suspect, but may get lucky with the dice AND if you guys want to increase your Opposing value (dexterity) and/or resistance value (one or more of your powers to be nullified) you can do that. There are a number of problems with that. One, it's going to get pricey and suck your hero point total dry as it's ongoing in every round that the machine is trying to kill off your powers. Two, a high dice roll might still drain your powers.

Taking out the power nullifier should be a priority under normal circumstances, but it will restore the super criminals powers. Centurion might be able to fabricate something that resists the nullifying effect though...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Nov 07 2013, 07:30

Admin wrote:OOC Will post up what happens to Frosty when his Dispersal is sorted out - that may mean the difference between neutralized and not. Centurion is going to have some serious problems I suspect, but may get lucky with the dice AND if you guys want to increase your Opposing value (dexterity) and/or resistance value (one or more of your powers to be nullified) you can do that. There are a number of problems with that. One, it's going to get pricey and suck your hero point total dry as it's ongoing in every round that the machine is trying to kill off your powers. Two, a high dice roll might still drain your powers.

Taking out the power nullifier should be a priority under normal circumstances, but it will restore the super criminals powers. Centurion might be able to fabricate something that resists the nullifying effect though...
OOC: "Hmm I think that, this might be the ideal version, also what does the bracelets do?  You gave them to us to counter act the null field, do they not add any kind of bonus, otherwise this is going to get swingy with dice randomly favouring some and not others.  I can see if luck (rather than good choices, rplying and skill) don't factor then we'll go down pretty quick.  Which in itself could prove interesting, sometimes when plans go totally awful it creates dramatic opportunities that keep you plastered to the screen, the downside is at that point you want to be posting every hour ;-)"

Lionheart realised that he was in a no win situation, but if the Minotaur continued to do what he intended things would go from bad to much, much worse in a heartbeat.  He sped on, fending off the null field as best he could.  

OOC: "Consider my using hero points if Dex lets me down, and my main powers are going toward, speed, mind blast and force field for now, whilst maintaining high speed."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Nov 09 2013, 23:51

OOC The bracelets (well spotted/remembered) do indeed have an effect but add to your RV (resistance value) against the Null field effect which only makes any difference if you're actually 'hit' by the Null field effect. So yeah,they should have an effect but Lionheart is too hard for the field to hit, apparently. The others are somewhat slower...

Frostbite and Centurion soared through the driving rain and powerful winds to close in over the prison'

They came across the null field and both wondered what would happen...

OOC What indeed? Attack on Frostbite...

2d10 → [8,10] = (18) Eeesh. Dispersal has no effect on the Neutralize power as it's a mental attack (albeit one that targets the characters physical form to hit and the power its targetting to resist).
Flight is reduced to 2APs
Dispersal is reduced to 6APs
Ice mastery is unaffected
Forstbites Strength attribute is reduced to 5APs, borderline superhuman

Attack on Centurion...

2d10 → [2,1] = (3) Not only does this fail but it causes a failure in the system and overloads this particular null generator so Centurion/Frostbite won't be attacked every round.

Unfortunately any bad guys within range of this null generator machine will find they regain their powers, though they may not immediately notice it unless they are of the visible effect type (for instance a character whose power it to always be a rocky orange skinned behemoth will turn back from human form into rocky orange skinned behemoth...)

Centurion sees Frostbite slow dramatically. Whilst his friend was still in the air he was flailling and looking somewhat less than graceful. The bracelet on his wrist (OOC Drain Resistance 10Aps) is glowing brightly, suggesting it is working in some way to counteract the effects of the Null field protecting the prison.

Centurion expected the same... except the attack didn't come and a glance at the bracelet revealed it was its usual plain metal colour without the shining lights that glowed on Frostbites wrist.

OOC Frostbite suffers the reduction in abilities until he recovers next. Normally this would take an hour but for 25HP (Pg143 Blood of Heroes game, which is more than I remember from DC heroes) you can make a desperation recovery check to regain powers instantly.

'Warning!' blared Frostbot inside Frostbites head. 'Operational efficiency severely impaired by a nanite based attack which disrupts the brains synapses at a subatomic level. The device you wear on your wrist has reduced the effectiveness of the attack considerably, but you are still compromised'

Indeed he was. Frostbite almost fell from the sky into the prison compound, landing roughly and stumbling forwards. Bullets sprayed all about him as automated guns set on corners of buildings rotated to target him! Above him, still in the air was Centurion who could see the three escaped prisoners concentrating on ripping up chunks of prison wall and tossing them about.

An automated gun smashed to smithereens.

Two guards were catapulted from their guard tower as a thunderous crash sounded from a chunk of reinforced concrete pretty much destroyed it.

The rain lashed down unabated, and the darkening gloom was broken only by the remaining floodlights... except another was destroyed by a thrown section of wall!

The escaped prisoners seem not to have noticed Frostbite and Centurion. (OOC Failed perception check) That left about 100 yards to cover between the heroes and the prisoners over a rubble strewn prison yard and about 75 yards for the heroes to cover to enter the prison building via the huge hole the Minotaur had made earlier.

OOC Your call. Unnoticed as yet, but move towards the bad guys and you'll risk being noticed. You can easily attack from distance, and as a bonus the Null generator is out of action where the heroes are. However there are others situated about the prison, so simply moving 100 yards across the prison complex might well see you under the influence/attack of another Null generator.

Hey, wouldn't want you guys to think this would be an easy, straightforward punch up with a bunch of super powered thugs... (that will come, mind Smile )
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Nov 10 2013, 13:37

Admin wrote:OOC The bracelets (well spotted/remembered) do indeed have an effect but add to your RV (resistance value) against the Null field effect which only makes any difference if you're actually 'hit' by the Null field effect. So yeah,they should have an effect but Lionheart is too hard for the field to hit, apparently. The others are somewhat slower...

Frostbite and Centurion soared through the driving rain and powerful winds to close in over the prison'

They came across the null field and both wondered what would happen...

OOC What indeed? Attack on Frostbite...

2d10 → [8,10] = (18) Eeesh. Dispersal has no effect on the Neutralize power as it's a mental attack (albeit one that targets the characters physical form to hit and the power its targetting to resist).
Flight is reduced to 2APs
Dispersal is reduced to 6APs
Ice mastery is unaffected
Forstbites Strength attribute is reduced to 5APs, borderline superhuman

Hey, wouldn't want you guys to think this would be an easy, straightforward punch up with a bunch of super powered thugs... (that will come, mind Smile )
OOC: "Yeah whenever have the dice been easy on Fb.  Yes please spend 25 HP to make a desperate recovery attempt.  Gonna burn through these so fast baby you ain't never gonna seem em let alone spend em."

Frostbite thanked his onboard computer for the obvious and made some attempt to fend off the mental attack.  

Then gathering himself as best he could he shot a powerful blast of super cool energy to encase the three prisoners causing the most problems.  Layer on layer shot over them, but also drew attention to them.  

[font defaultattr=]"Centurion take what metal you can and let wrap this up so we might help Lionheart."[/font]

OOC: "So I'll use Ice production to build a super thick wall of ice around the three worst offenders, trying to pin them so they've got little or no leverage to bust out."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Nov 17 2013, 00:30

OOC Still alive, despite works' best attempts to team up with my home life and completely crush my spirit. As you know (or should hopefully, by now) I'll never abandon the game but there are times when it's just impossible to get near a keyboard! Nnnngh!

Lionheart ducked and weaved through tumbling rubble and choking dust, his Force Field fizzing and flickering as larger chunks came close though with his super speed he was able to keep a step or three ahead of anything too dangerous as warned by his amazing danger sense!

The smashed walls sliced a path straight through the heart of the prison, seemingly heading for the centre. Whilst Lionhearts amazing agility and speed kept him from having to slow down it seemed the Minotaur used awesome brute force to simply ignore the reinforced concrete walls that would stop high powered munitions and many superhuman aggressors. Truly this was a prison built to keep superhumans in AND out, but there were limits to budgets, technology, and in this case to the sheer power the construction could resist. An immovable object? Almost, but Minotaur was certainly an irresistible force!

Lionheart sped on, but slowed when he saw half a dozen men in prison fatigues in what seemed to be a canteen area, though with a hole in each opposite wall and the contents of the place simply destroyed as the behemoth sped through, it looked more like a rubbish dump!

The men looked dazed and even frightened. Each wore a collar around their neck and unattached manacles on their ankles and wrists. Lionheart guessed that in the event of a 'lockdown' those manacles would magnetically adhere to one another and restrain the prisoner whilst the collar would provide the means, albeit cruelly, of putting a prisoner down.

None of the prisoners looked to be restrained by the manacles in this case. An unconscious prison guard slumped against a side wall looked to have been almost in the way of Minotaur and in a bad way - his should was twisted and he lay at a painful looking angle. Behind a serving counter a prisoner peeped over the top and looked about, wide eyed and rabbit like as he muttered "What the bloody hell was that?"

Lionheart turned to hear crashing through the prison walls and knew he was close now, only seconds away from encountering the beast. Several things puzzled him - this seemed to be a planned, direct assault on the prison, and rather than tear chunks of scenery up and toss them around it seemed the Minotaur had taken the time to attract attention, applied means for several escaped prisoners to resist the null field, resisted the null field himself and ignored the chance to free all other prisoners along the way, or cause more destruction than was necessary whilst his huge bulk and speed simply made a straight line through the prison towards someone... or something.

OOC You catch up with Minotaur next post. Normally your superhuman speed would easily catch even his enhanced speed but he's leaving you quite an obstacle course to get round and over. No rolls needed. With such high Dexterity Lionheart essentially acts as if 'Bullet Time' is active and everything is slowed to a halt. If you have any alternative plans than that of 'run up and punch him' or 'run up and mind blast him' holler, otherwise I shall update tomorrow (sorry you've been waiting the longest for Lionheart to act) or rather later on as I should have been in bed an hour ago Sad

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Nov 17 2013, 07:50

Admin wrote:OOC You catch up with Minotaur next post. Normally your superhuman speed would easily catch even his enhanced speed but he's leaving you quite an obstacle course to get round and over. No rolls needed. With such high Dexterity Lionheart essentially acts as if 'Bullet Time' is active and everything is slowed to a halt. If you have any alternative plans than that of 'run up and punch him' or 'run up and mind blast him' holler, otherwise I shall update tomorrow (sorry you've been waiting the longest for Lionheart to act) or rather later on as I should have been in bed an hour ago Sad
OOC: "Firstly not to worry about waiting, life has been really very busy for me to.  Trying to sell house, applying for new jobs (which may or may not effect the speed at which I post) and just the current work/life balance for me is also all over the place.  So no worries on that front.  

Also it did occur to me that the posts you often write are more like a mini novel, I am sure you can save yourself a bit of time but cutting down the prose and just chasing to the action.  I am more verbose when I've the time to do it and not so when, as now, the emphasis needs to be elsewhere.  So certainly knock it out of the park in terms of plot, writing and story, but might it be easier to briefer esp when life is busy.  I appreciate, for instance the opportunity to react here, but you could have made it easier on yourself by just placing me alongside the Minotaur?  What do you think, Paul?"

Lionheart wasn't sure if this was some huge distraction, to draw attention away from the real scheme at work here or whether he was simply over thinking the scenario.  However with one obvious problem and one potentially huge disaster about to happen, should the null field be switched off, he had no real choice but to speed up and catch the Minotaur, whilst he had the advantage of surprise.  

OOC: "Speed on, and dump a load of hero points (10) into attacking with mind blast, overcoming defences and augmenting damage as needed to take this beast down, before things get any worse.  Sorry just realised I've no idea how many HP one should use and also what I had and have left. "

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 21 2013, 20:31

OOC Point taken about post length. I like to drop little hints and suggestions in there usually but concede that I am long winded!

Anyway, have a full (!) 11 minutes before I hit the sack and only one nattering kid to sort out, so will see how I get on with an update.

Frostbite recovery roll: 2d10 → [8,5] = (13) Frostbite is back on full abilities.

Frostbite and Centurion
Frostbite Hero Points 98
Centurion Hero Points 123

Shrugging off the effects of the Neutralize aura, Frostbite turned and called out to Centurion, shouting to be heard over the din of rattling gunfire, crashing concrete and driving rain!

Centurion (NPC Mode) nodded and reached out, causing metal to flow like water from seemingly everywhere. The reinforced concrete of this place was laced with it and there was plenty of smashed concrete about to draw from!

Whilst he was doing that Frostbite took aim and fired at the three prisoners!

OOC Ice mastery power (14) vs 3 foes. This is a test with Frostys Ice Mastery (14) vs 8 (Highest Dex of the three prisoners) plus a 2 Column Shift modifier thanks to attacking multiple foes.

Roll is... 2d10 → [2,2] = (4) 4! That's a ... hold on, a double Smile

2d10 → [3,10] = (13)

Total roll 17. That's a success, plus 3 Column Shifts. Effect Value is 14 (Ice Mastery) vs 8 (Highest Strength of the targets) +2 Column Shifts (multi attack penalty) With 3 Column shifts thanks to the great roll that's 9RAPs. That's the volume of ice created (500 cubic feet of ice around each target) but also the Opposing/Resistance values of any attempt to break free. There are additional effects thanks to these prisoners unique profiles...

In an instant most of the courtyard was transformed into a winter wonderland! Sparkling ice glittered and shimmered as rain fell on it. The dark shapes in the centre of the ice, the prisoners, still seemed to be wriggling but were well and truly encased!

Frostbot spoke in Frostbites head 'Having gotten a brief look at the escapees faces there may be additional information that can be gleaned from the computer archives of the prison, if their wireless facilities are still active or a terminal can be accessed. I would need to get closer to the main building for wireless access but any terminal that can be touched, such as one in a guard tower or reception area, will get me into their system and able to access it.' suggested the sentient program.

"Wow!" said Centurion as he formed up a mech suit with overlarge fists and armour to use if and when they caught up with the man-mountain that was Minotaur. "You took those guys out in record time! I should think we'll wrap this up in..."

OOC One of the Prisoners tries to escape. He uses Hero Points... (5 on each) 2d10 → [5,10] = (15) Success - didn't really need the hero points as the 15 (just) succeeded. That said, Leviathan has 7 hero points left and...

CRASH!!!!!!

There is a huge explosion of ice and concrete as the ice prison explodes into thousands of shards! Huge chunks are sent flying in every direction and the heroes look up.... and up, and up and up...

One of the prisoners has transformed into a huge (150' high!!!) blue, scale skinned giant! His head is monstrous (think creature from the black lagoon) and there are fins jutting from its back and arms, claws on its scaled hands, a tail, webbed hands and feet, even gills, on the transformed prisoner!

Centurion and Frostbite are minuscule compared to the giant villain, a monster that rivals Godzilla (OOC not that the 1940s heroes know who Godzilla is...) in size and stature! The prison guards open fire but their tracer bullets vanish into mounds of rubbery flesh and have less effect than light rain on the creature! It roars its rage to the heavens and looks about for the beings that have dared oppose...

LEVIATHAN!!!

The other two prisoners have been partially freed from the ice but look in no shape to fight. One looks absolutely terrified, a fellow with a balding head, glasses and frail look about him. The other looks to be struggling to get ice off him, and shivering a lot. The biggest problem (pun intended) is Leviathan, who raises a giant foot and intends to crush the two heroes!

The rain lashed down in the war zone and amidst the rubble, titans clashed!

OOC Initiative -
Heroes 1d10 → [7] = (7)
Bad Guys 1d10 → [1] = (1)

This is enough to ensure the pair of you go first. Ross (still here?) you have a round (last round) to describe or specify some kind of suit, weapon, robot or other gizmo to use and can use it this round (assuming you don't roll hopelessly). Dave, Frostbot wants to get to a terminal but you have other issues to deal with. Your ice mastery roll was excellent but this thing is huge and you may have to resort to more conventional means to take the big guy down. At least with his size it won't be hard to hit!

A note on combat actions:

Critical Blow - Sacrifice accuracy in the hope you deal more damage. Good for helping break through armoured hides!

Devastating Attack - much trickier to hit against normal sized foes than a critical blow, but in this case you might get away with it. As the name implies it really delivers a hammer blow if you hit.

Feel free to spend hero points on Acting value (your 'to hit') and/or Effect value (your damage). Not much you can do about the dice other than hope, mind...

Hmmm. So much for a short post. I can't help myself Sad Updates for all tomorrow. Get a respite from the kids in the afternoon at some point.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Nov 22 2013, 06:59

Admin wrote:OOC Point taken about post length.
OOC: "Paul that is me only trying to think of you, personally I love it."

Having shrugged off the ill effects of the neutralizer, Frostbite acknowledged Frostbot's request, then all Hell broke loose.

Looking at the staggering size of the creature Leviathan, Frostbite new he had to do something and it had to be fast.  "Frostbot, help me calculate the weakest point on the this thing.  If I can hit it hard and just right, then maybe we can end this before this thing makes things ten times worse."

Concentrating as best he could, Frostbite got ready to fire his ice blast at a critical point.  

OOC: "Ok correction having read Dunecat's write up on HP spending I see I can only spend a maximum of 15 HP to Acting and Effecting values so make that 15/15 and this is using devastating attack to try and take this guy out before we're all toast.  One of these days I know things are gonna come a cropper for me, and I wonder what happens then?

Oh on a separate point, Ross should have his Broadband connected on Monday, so hopefully he'll be a bit more present."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Tue Nov 26 2013, 21:48

OOC: Woop woop i back (doing a little dance) broadband rocks.

IC: Looking at his fellow super hero Steve flicked an eyebrow and said "I don't fancy yours much" meaning the monstrous creature that had just recently formed in front of them. His visor clanged down as a blue tinge momentarily shimmered over his strongly re-enforced plated armour.

"What of the remaining prisoners? These scum are the harden of harden criminals, do they need to be 'detained'?".

OOC: To stop these other goons transforming into potential unstoppable killers Steve could just kebab them with the steel concrete re-enforcing rods. Grim maybe but i just wanted to clarify that we are in a war zone right?

smaug
Class 4 Hero (Powerful Superhuman)

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Tue Nov 26 2013, 21:57

OOC: But in the mean time if Dave and myself try to take this thing down before he can strike first, bet it'll be a dozzy. I would like to also go for a crit hit with anything pointy and metal nearby so if.....sorry when he/it survives it will hopefully be pinned or slowed.

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Nov 26 2013, 23:52

Lionheart charged through and around the falling rubble to arrive in what appeared to be a wide, round DEEP shaft going down into the ground...

The walls were coated with some kind of ceramic plates. The previous walls and rooms had been conventional albeit reinforced concrete and steel. In Minotaurs wake he'd left dazed prisoners and guards, wrecked machines and shattered stonework.

Lionheart looked up, and saw what appeared to be a machine, a giant... laser of some kind, blasting a thick blue beam down the shaft and into the earth. In the centre of the beam on every level of the prison were hexagonal constructs large enough to house one or more occupants. Lionheart surmised they would be the most dangerous inhabitants of the prison, and that the beam created a form of force field, and perhaps a more intensified version of the null field whilst 'turned off' most superhuman powers.

The first 'floating prison' was some fifty feet below Lionheart where he stood on the edge of the shaft. There was no sign of Minotaur on it. Below that there were hexagonal constructs every fifty feet below for the next 200 feet.

Above, the field generator was some 70-100 feet above where Lionheart stood, and there he saw the monstrous Minotaur clung to the side of the construct, pulling his fist back to ram into it! His telescopic vision revealed the monster was clinging to the side of the house sized laser emitter having sunk his fingers deep into the metal as one might sink fingers into putty! Gathering his thoughts Lionheart launched the psychic energy that formed into the shape of a Lion at his foe!

OOC Mind Blast. You have Power Reserve which can boost a set of powers by 1-8 points (those powers being Str, Empathy, Mental Blast, Mind Blast, Mind Probe, Telekinesis, Telepathy, Postcognition, Superspeed) but it is Fatiguing, meaning it can attack your mental attributes but a roll of 15 would be needed in order for LH to suffer a loss of Mind. If you can remember, please make a note to assign Power Reserve in your posts as it might make things easier and cheaper in terms of hero point expenditure. With Mind Blast 7 you can spend a maximum of 7 HP on Acting (boosting it to 14) and 7 on Effect (again, to 14). I'll assume Lionheart spends 4 on each (boosting Mind Blast to 11Aps effectively).

Lionheart has 115 HP remaining.

14APs Mind Blast vs Minotaur. Roll 5,2 (7) Hit. Unfortunately Minotaur, whilst of low Intelligence (and easy to 'hit') is extremely resistant to Mind attack. Resistant... not invulnerable (hopefully). You just might have to try a little harder Smile

Lionheart started in surprise as his energy 'lion' seemed to hit an invisible wall around Minotaurs colossal head.

It got the creatures attention, however...

With a roar it turned, looked about, and saw the 'little man' standing in the hole it had made. The beasts shaggy haired form twisted as it adjusted its grip on the laser, as if to leap at the newcomer. Then it seemed to pause for a moment and changed its mind, ramming a fist into the laser emitter!

Lionheart saw the wide blue energy beam flicker and and sputter... Another titanic earth shattering blow like that would destroy the emitter, and presumably free the most dangerous inhabitants of this place!

The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text) - Page 2 Lionheart_scores
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 27 2013, 00:28

OOC Need to cook up a suit for Centurion and any other gadget he wants to cook up. Also need to take another look at Dunes' suggestion for Centurion updated character stats. In the meantime I will assume a suit of the following stats (using the existing power).

Centurion (123HP) uses 10HP on Acting, 10HP on Effect for Fabricate.
Body 16 (italicised)
Strength 16 (italicised)
Energy Blast 16
Flight 16
Sealed Systems 16
Energy Absorption 16
Suit is a 'non take away' item (+1CS)

That means an Opposing Value of 16 (highest APs) +5 (extra abilities) +1CS for non take away item for the 22-24 column.

Roll for Metal Manipulation 5,7 (12). Passed.
Roll for Fabricate 4,4 (double!) plus 9,5 (14)=22.
18RAPs achieved. The suit lasts a week and has no reliability issues. Iron man eat your heart out!

Run out of time, but have a reasonable amount of time to get updated tomorrow (in between dropping kids off and doing household chores).

Centurion currently looks like:

Dex 7 Str 16 Body 16 (10)
Energy Blast 16 Flight 16 Sealed Systems 16 Energy Absorption 16

He can fly at thousands of miles per hour (about 70k mph), he can ignore anything short of Battleship rounds (magnetic control takes care of them anyway), his Energy Blast can melt through anything short of Diamond (probably) and he can toss 1500 tons around without breaking a sweat. In addition he survive in hostile environments for 6 weeks and here's the 'killer' power. Energy Absorption allows him to absorb energy of any type and dissipate it harmlessly to a high degree. No, he can't cool the sun down, but he could survive unharmed inside a volcano, for instance.

The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text) - Page 2 Centurion_scores

Right, sack time (sorry). Frostbite and Centurion vs Leviathan (and his escapee buddies) next!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Nov 27 2013, 07:24

Lionheart harrumphed, annoyed that the creature before him seemed to shrug off his attack.  But he surmised it was on the basis of the creature having so little intelligence for him to attack.  But Lionheart also saw how it was turned from attacking, its natural instinct, which meant it to was in the service of someone or something more powerful.  That was certain.  Time for questions later, flying up to the beast, Lionheart let loose this time, holding nothing back from his mind attack.  

OOC: "Ok boost mind attack Attack and Effect by 7, boost the same amount in Hero points to attack and effect to try and take this thing out.  Also powers effective flight, force field and speed."

Meanwhile seeing the impressive suit Centurion brought together, Frostbite was momentarily stunned.  Then answering Steve's question said, "No lethal force, not yet anyway.  This might look like a war zone, but these are civilians and they might frown on us killing foes they'd spent a fortune incarcerating.  No for now let focus on this Leviathan thing."

OOC: "Ok you know what I am proposing from my previous post, so lets go with that, but see if in addition we can combine our attacks - provided its not counter productive.  We want what is most efficient in terms of effectiveness."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 28 2013, 23:37

OOC Frostbite attacks with his cold energy blast (as part of of 14 APs Cold Mastery power. I need to get the writeups sorted and all in one place) and drops 14/14 Hero points on the task at hand. No mention of Hero Point use from Ross but he'll go for a Critical Blow (from what I can gather).

Extra bonus to attack -1CS to Opposing value because of a team attack.

Frostbite attack Roll 1+7 (8). Going for a Devastating Attack with (effectively) 28 APs attack and Effect. Normally that roll would miss, but the Hero Point expenditure means it hits easily (you need a roll of 3 or over to hit Leviathan even though you're really socking it to him). That's a staggering 23 RAPs damage (for reference Superman has 18 Body, so that shot was pretty powerful...)

Centurion blasts at the same time... Roll 4+7 (11). Going for a Critical Blow. Hit, inflicting 8 RAPs of damage.

Leviathan roars, and with a sweep of his tail clatters a guard tower into smithereens! Looking triumphant, the enormous beast looks ready to strike and bunches huge fist to...

"You hit high, I'll take the middle!" shouted Frostbite, the rain turning to glittering crystals as it neared his icy form.

Centurion nodded and ignored the posturing of the giant looming over them. Truth told the suit he'd summoned was better than any he'd made before and he could feel power coursing through it. A glance at his friend revealed Frosty was REALLY pumped up, however, and he wondered if they could take this thing down in short order. This 'brave new world' was dangerous and full of superhumans, and it was hard to know where they stood in the 'pecking order' now that the Dark Power was gone.

They needn't have worried.

Centurions blast smashed into the creatures mid section, checking its stride, whilst Frostbite blasted freezing cold, giving Leviathan a serious case of brain freeze as ice encapsulated the creatures head and partially filled its mouth and throat, stifling its cry!

With an inhuman cry and a gurgle Leviathan falls backwards, threatening to crush the prison... except he's changed back to human form in an explosion of shattered ice and crashes to the ground amidst a rain of ice chunks!

The shots from guards stop ringing out and only the rain drumming hard on the concrete can be heard as the triumphant heroes see the (now naked) prisoner lying amidst ice and rubble! His two fellow escapees hide behind debris and a guard calls out "Surrender!" then a pause and "Uh, are you guys on our side?"

Centurion and Frostbite had dropped a powerful foe with a single concerted effort, and laid down a marker...

OOC The other two prisoners are out of sight, having seen what you've done and ducked back behind a shattered concrete wall. Whether you go over there after them or try to persuade them to give up is your call. Or you might leave them to the guards and get in there after Lionheart. Your call. Leviathan is down (still alive) but very unconscious...

The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text) - Page 2 Frostbite_scores
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Nov 29 2013, 07:44

Admin wrote:OOC Frostbite attack Roll 1+7 (Cool. Normally that roll would miss, but the Hero Point expenditure...
OOC: "Man how can I not spend HP when I get rolls like this all the time ;-).  Imagine the waste if I didn't hit"

Frostbite gave the thumbs up to his friend and nodded to the other criminals. As they headed in that direction he shouted down to the cards.  

"There is no need to be alarmed, we are here to stop this break out and secure these men back in custody.  That is the priority whatever you might feel about us.  Your safety depends on our success, so any help you can give, would be appreciated."

With that Frostbite got ready to coat the two remaining prisoners in another cocoon of ice, once Centurion had blasted the fight out of them.

OOC: "OK Ross I suggest you blast them, non lethal is better as most supers games are weighted to dishing out non lethal damage, lethal is usually less effective and harder to inflict anyway.  Once Ross shoots the fight out of them, I'll ice them up giving them air to breath but no movement.  Again assume HP, on the attack to Attack and Effect as necessary."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 04 2013, 23:50

Lionheart took to the air and hovered close to the huge beast as it sunk powerful fingers into metal of the shielding device, prompting a grinding screech and sparks spew forth...

Ignoring that, Lionheart glowed with energy then shifted his mental power to boost his Mind Blast which manifested as a huge glowing Lion that launched at the Bull headed behemoth!

OOC Mind Blast boosted to 14 APs. Best bet to spend HP is 8 on acting, 8 on effect to get you to 22 of each.Then go for Devastating Attack (the most potent/least accurate attack but if it hits...). Roll 10+3 (13) Hit, 21RAPs damage. Ouch.

Fatiguing check on Power Reserve... 9+9 (18, double!) plus 8+5 (13) = 31. Ouch again. Lionheart takes 8RAPs of Mental damage from the backlash of boosting Mind Blast with his Power Reserve... You can absorb some or all of those with hero points or take the hit and leave him on 1 Mind (still conscious, though with a ringing headache. HOWEVER, he does heal very quickly. in 30 seconds or so he'll be tickety boo) In the meantime...

Despite blood running freely from his nose and the mother of all clanging headaches, Lionheart threw everything he had and then some at the supposed invulnerable brute with his mind blast. This time the Lion manifested as a pack, clawing and tearing at the Minotaur. It bellowed in rage and frustration, batted at the imagined lions and fell from the machine with a tearing shriek of metal accompanied by an explosion of fire and sparks...

Minotaur fell, with a handful of delicate looking machinery trailing in his wake along with fire and sparks...

There was a loud groan of machinery and a definite dying down of the humming sound in the shaft, punctuated by the crashing of Minotaurs huge form against the walls and a crash onto one of the cells.

One of the cells that were no longer encapsulated in the force field that kept the occupants inside...

OOC Lionheart wins... but the worst of the inmates in this place are apparently free to do their worst... Take the hit to your Mind (8 points leaving you on 1 remaining) or absorb with HP? Currently you are at:

The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text) - Page 2 Lionheart_scores
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Dec 05 2013, 06:52

Admin wrote:Lionheart 
There was a loud groan of machinery and a definite dying down of the humming sound in the shaft, punctuated by the crashing of Minotaurs huge form against the walls and a crash onto one of the cells.

One of the cells that were no longer encapsulated in the force field that kept the occupants inside...

OOC Lionheart wins... but the worst of the inmates in this place are apparently free to do their worst... Take the hit to your Mind (8 points leaving you on 1 remaining) or absorb with HP? Currently you are at:
OOC: "Ok since I am in a hostile environment with inmates capable of taking me out if I only have 1 mind, I will absorb damage via HP.  "

Although Lionheart wanted to take a look at the fallen creature, he knew that the damage it had done could be of far greater concern.  Moving over to the damaged panel, he looked to see if he could make sense of what was here and set about to repair it.  

OOC: "Ok if I can use my jacked up senses and postcognition to see how it was working, I am thinking I might be able to jury rig it back into working again.  Consider HP to be spent however to fudge make the rolls necessary.  I can see this spinning out of control somehow and it being pined on us if we are not careful.

Assuming I can get this sorted I will then go down and secure the Minotaur."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Thu Dec 05 2013, 21:38

As centurion hovered over to the two prisoners, who by now must surely be quaking in there boots by now, he marvelled at the level of power this new suit blessed him with. The almost vibrating plates of the armour tingled and gave Steve a weightlessness feel in his sturdy arms and muscular calves making him truly believe he could leap tall buildings in a single bound or simply just smash them to pieces. Steve was feeling slightly cocky again a feeling that had always lead him into trouble, with all he had been through and the responsibilities he had had as a hero had reduced to but every now and again this weakness would creep through for he was although a superhuman he was still human after all.

OOC: No really its class especially the volcano bit, reminds me of the iron man comic when he battles an fire elemental in a volcano summoned by the mandarin.

IC: "Come on you two do you what chance do you have? surrender NOW. He commanded as he tensed his biceps causing glowing energy to flow to hands, the closer to his finger tips the more brilliant the white light.

OOC: I would like to ready an action if they try anything funny and target the roof above them as i would doubt i could apprehend them both quickly.

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Dec 06 2013, 00:36

Centurion hovered up and towards the area of rubble where the two escapees hid. Rain continued to lash down.

Fragments of shattered ice lay strewn amidst the destroyed remains of most of the prison wall on this side but were reluctant to melt, thanks to the potency of Frostbites efforts.

Calling out his challenge Centurion felt confident that the pair would surrender. What came next was not entirely unexpected, but Centurion could do little about unseen attacks!

OOC Centurion is waiting for any funny business, and wins initiative against one of these guys... but the other goes first and attacks mentally...

Mental Attack roll 10+3 (13) Success, 5 RAPs. You can choose to spend Hero Points (up to 6 on opposing, 6 on resistance) to try to avoid it or see what happens.

Meanwhile the prison guards seem to have accepted Frostbites call given what they'd just seen. One calls out "Who are you? UKChampions? Lore Knights?" a pause "Executive? Are they even around any more?"

Just then there is a bright flare of light from behind the rubble and a fiery form rises in the air! It is shaped like a man but there are no details visible, indeed it is partially translucent. "Who cares who they are?" bellowed the fiery fellow. "NAPALM is gonna melt that Frosty freak and the goon in the tin can!"

OOC Right then, the order of things happening is:

Mental attack on Centurion - response? Try to avoid the attack by spending hero points or take it on the chin?
Napalm 'flames on' and rises into the air...
...but cannot attack as the pair of you were waiting to act and beat him to it with initiative, so he attacks if he's still standing.

So, Centurion, decide on what to do with that hit, and if you manage to avoid it what are you going to do (target Napalm who is in sight, or try to find the mentalist behind cover, or both? Or something else?)

Frostbite you may want to alter your action - this could be a straight up ice v fire battle. Does this human torch knockoff have what it takes to reduce you to a watery pool?

Then Napalm gets to act.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Dec 06 2013, 19:38

Admin wrote:Frostbite you may want to alter your action - this could be a straight up ice v fire battle. Does this human torch knockoff have what it takes to reduce you to a watery pool?

Then Napalm gets to act.
OOC: "All afternoon I've been in and only now because of Dunecat's message in the OOC section, do I see there is a message in the IC section.  I've no idea why this forum never updates me.  Must look into it.  Anyway..."

Frostbite took one look at the firebrand before him, knowing with a sudden insight that comes with age beyond his actual years, that this wasn't going to be easy.  Not unless he could simply overwhelm his foe.  Although at one time the dark power would have made that easy.  He no longer had that option.  He had to try brute force, before He himself was taken down by a foe who's very powers put him at great risk.  

OOC: "Ok so go for Ice Energy attack which I see I have 15, so let make sure we also go 15/15 Hero points attack and effect that way we can absolutely be sure that we take this guy down before I get knocked out and sit this one out before we've even got going."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next