The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text)

5 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text) - Page 5 Empty Re: The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text)

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Feb 13 2014, 07:24

Admin wrote:Lionheart, slowed by the nullifying power of the inhibitors throughout this place just needed a breather to recover from his injury. Unfortunately this guy was so fast he wasn't likely to get it!

The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text) - Page 5 Lionheart_scores

OOC: "Yes Lionheart will recover."

"Not bad, you are fast, well with your hands, not so much with the brains, else I guess you wouldn't be down here with these losers?"

Lionheart was buying for time, as he let his powers kick in and improve his fatigued condition.  Fighting back against the null field was difficult, but he had to give himself chance to catch his breath or else he'd become a meat sack for the 'Mr Flying Fists of Fury' before him.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text) - Page 5 Empty Re: The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text)

Post  smaug Sun Feb 16 2014, 17:51

OOC: I think Dave is right this may be our Waterloo, they seem heavy heavy hitters.
So big numbers of hero points (might as well use them all up) on defence and attacking, I'm thinking if I can grab that thing it'll be in serious trouble.

IC: Steve quickly raised his heavily shielded right forearm for he knew there was no way he was going to avoid this blast, his only hope was the rad shield gauntlet and while this new adversary guard was down morph the left gauntlet into a harpoon. This guy was coming to him, sure Steves armour rad resistance would be now reduced but if he didnt deal with this threat then radiation was the least of his worries.

smaug
Class 4 Hero (Powerful Superhuman)

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 20 2014, 01:11

Centurion knew the incoming blast would be hard to avoid...

But tried anyway!

OOC Hero points used on defence and resistance. 6 points on Opposing Value (boosting Dex temporarily to 13) and 5 on Resistance Value (boosting it to 22)

The attack is made... Roll (2d10)+0: 1,7,+0 Total:8

Fails anyway, but would have succeeded had you not spent Hero Points

Lionheart makes his recovery check... Roll(2d10)+0: 10,7,+0 Total:17 and easily succeeds! The world seems to slow down again as he speeds up! (Full powers again)

Centurion from metal from the floor and turns it into a huge manga style gatling/harpoon gun on his wrist.

Spending hero points to really boost this thing I assume, 7 on AV/EV. Going for 20 APs Projectile weapon power. Body: 19 (which would make it nigh on indestructible).Roll(2d10)+0: 10,1,+0 Total:11 9RAPs and going for reliability over duration means it will last 2 minutes before dissolving and be 100% reliable, no jams Smile

Note to GM: Centurion has 20APs Projectile Weapons power

Note to Ross - this translates into - doesn't miss very often and hits with the power of a battleship, so against the slower opponents you could use Critical (hurts) attack or Devastating (hurts a lot!) attack, but it makes it trickier to hit. Against the speedster it would not be recommended!

Lionheart breathed out a sigh of relief as he saw the room slow down around him.

The man in front who'd been trying to take his head off was still much faster than he was, but was no longer the near invisible blur he'd been only heartbeats before! He watched as a pulse of concentrated energy passed by Centurion who stepped aside even in the bulbous bulky armour and where it struck the floor literally collapsed inwards, as if some invisible weight had been dropped on it!

He turned to see the Demonic man raise a hand and point to Bombshell, who was flying towards the dome type field.

OOC Control attack on Bombshell. She resists with 5HP on OV and RV. Roll(2d10)+0: 9,9,+0 Total:18 DOUBLE. Oh dear. Roll(2d10)+0: 8,6,+0 Total:14 Total 32. She stands no chance! 18RAPs! She absorbs 5 with last ditch defence to drop it to 13 but that's still 4 hours worth of control (as opposed to being mind controlled for a week!)

The 'Demon' smiles, then calls out "Do be a dear.. and kill your friends!"

Bombshell wails "What's happening!" she cries as she floats in the air, turns and fires off a blast at Centurion - the largest target of the group!

OOC Attack on Centurion Roll(2d10)+0: 2,7,+0 Total:9. Because he wasn't expecting that he can't dodge... but then again he doesn't need to. Even though Bombshells powerful radiation blast strikes him full on, his armour shows a blip on the inner panel noting that he's been struck, absorbs then dissipates the energy harmlessly!

Fearing the worst, Centurion looks down at his chestplate, expecting to see a hole.. but there is a fading orange glow where the suit absorbed the energy and re-channelled it through the subsystems! The man inside the armour had no idea how it worked, nor did he need to! he wore one of the most sophisticated machines ever devised by a human - or any other - mind and did so simply by imagining the effects he wanted to produce!

'The radiation Bombshell emitted should have been enough to kill Centurion, but his suit possesses the capability to absorb energy and dissipate it harmlessly' explained Frostbot to Frostbite inside his head. 'If Bombshell cannot control her own actions there is a possibility that Centurions suit might - temporarily - absorb the radiation from the core meltdown. Enough to evacuate the area.'

Frostbite was about to reply when the 'Wolf-Man' dived at him!

OOC Frosty uses Hero points, 5 on each to defend/resist. In addition he's dispersed (no word on using more than 4APs so his defence is 13/19) Attack Roll(2d10)+0: 9,2,+0 Total:11. That's a hit for the wolf man... but his hand passes through Frostbite without inflicting any harm!

Frostbite saw rather than felt those savage claws strike out! The steel cabinet behind him CLANGED! as metal tore like paper and was tossed across the room! The speed and ferocity of the attack, combined with the strength and razor sharp talons of the wolf-man were a deadly combination... but one Frostbite felt able to handle!

OOC you are down to 6HP Dave with Frosty. I suggest you keep them for last ditch defence at some point. I assume Frosty is part dispersed and has a solid hand (rest of him intangible) to blast away with his cold at the Wolf-man.

Roll(2d10)+0: 9,7,+0 Total:16 9RAPs. Wolf-Man absorbs that. Down to 11HP.

Despite the Wolf Mans speed, Frostbite raises an arm and blasts a wave of penetrating cold at the furred beast! Despite a thick layer of frost coating the creature and throwing the man-beast back twenty feet or so, he lands on his feet and shakes off the frost. It affected him, but doesn't seem to have hurt him too much. Another blast might do the trick though - he seems less sure now of the foe he faces!

OOC Initiative Roll 8 Heroes, 8 bad Guys. This time more bad guys will be involved. Speedster, Lionheart, several of the bad guys then the good guys and finally remaining bad guys. Whatever they are doing to the reactor it will be finished soon.

Lionheart, attack on you first. You have your full superspeed. I guess its used to boost Dex, are you using power reserve to boost Superspeed up to 14Aps? That would make things harder for the speedster to hit him. You can also forgo your attack to remain on the defensive (but be near un-hittable) or trust in your restored speed and hope for (at best) reasonable rolls.

Frostbite, Centurion, any special defence/hero point expenditure on defence against attacks? Centurion has the same flying prisoner on him, Frostbite has the wolf and the snake man on him now. Bombshell will probably be told to blast someone, maybe not Centurion though.

The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text) - Page 5 Centurion_scores
The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text) - Page 5 Frostbite_Scores
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Feb 20 2014, 09:21

Admin wrote:OOC Initiative Roll 8 Heroes, 8 bad Guys. This time more bad guys will be involved. Speedster, Lionheart, several of the bad guys then the good guys and finally remaining bad guys. Whatever they are doing to the reactor it will be finished soon.

Lionheart, attack on you first. You have your full superspeed. I guess its used to boost Dex, are you using power reserve to boost Superspeed up to 14Aps? That would make things harder for the speedster to hit him. You can also forgo your attack to remain on the defensive (but be near un-hittable) or trust in your restored speed and hope for (at best) reasonable rolls.

Frostbite, Centurion, any special defence/hero point expenditure on defence against attacks? Centurion has the same flying prisoner on him, Frostbite has the wolf and the snake man on him now. Bombshell will probably be told to blast someone, maybe not Centurion though.

OOC: "
Firstly Lionheart will use power reserve to boost Dex but not go for defensive, if we don't take the opportunity to hit back this ship will sail and we'll be in a heap of trouble.  So need to use my dice actions to do more than exhaust them.  So on my turn will use Mind Blast on the Speedster to get him taken down asap. 

Meanwhile, Frostbite will indeed remain partially intangible so he can blast the whole area around him, hopefully snakes being warm blooded creatures, will mean this snake guy will be worse effected as well.  So remain intangible and then go for another blast as directed.  No HP, as you say lets leave them for when the dice really turn nasty on me."

Frostbite was mindful that they were already on the back foot, not knowing what they were up against and now with Bombshell forced to attack on the enemies behalf.  This was a tangled situation that was going to prove difficult.  Would this be the heroes, 'Waterloo'. Frostbite dismissed the thought, as he directed the others, with a nod, trusting that they knew best what needed to be done, they'd worked as a team before and he was confident in their individual skills and tactical know how.  But still a nagging doubt stubbornly remained.  Who was behind this clever and skilful attack.  And what would be the repercussions for England, let alone Wales when all was said and done?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Sat Feb 22 2014, 08:47

OOC: I just want to go with the highest chance to hit first as ether way I dont think it'll be strong enough to take this sucker out......plus my rolling is terrible Smile Then when the harpoon renders his wings inoperable reel him in and pound the snot out of him as I think he is the biggest threat at this precise moment.....maybe use another harpoon to pin him down too

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 27 2014, 00:33

The speedster was a blur, even to Lionheart as his own superspeed kicked into high gear and slowed the room down around him...

Here he came, hardened hands striking out thousands of times a second!

OOC Attack vs Lionheart. Roll 8+4 (12). That's a hit! 9RAPs damage - that would be enough to knock Lionheart out! I assume you will absorb all of that (9 points) with Hero points/last ditch defence?

Fatigue check 2+3 (5) No fatigue

The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text) - Page 5 Lionheart_scores

Lionheart felt his forcefield slow the blows - enough to stop the speedsters hands punching through his skin and shattering his bones, but was in no doubt that this man was the most dangerous opponent he could remember facing in quite a while! Faster than most people could see, able to deliver thousands of steel hard blows in seconds, capable of reducing even diamond to a fine powder!

Lionheart stumbled back, having taken the best of the villains blows and perhaps surprised him...

"Howtheheckareyouabletomovesofastandwhoareyoupeopleanyway?WeexpectedtheUKChampionsandyoulotareatbestsecondraters..." he spluttered, glancing down at his hands. "Myhandscancutthroughanything!"

Maybe not.

Lionheart launched his mind blast/Lion apparition at his foe. Fast, physically, he may be, but how was he mentally?

OOC Mind blast against the Speedster (Jackhammer) You'll need a decent roll to take him out. 9+4 (13) Not bad. 4 damage. Jackhammer absorbs that by spending 4HP.

"Gahhh!Getoutofmyhead!" he cries and glares at Lionheart.

Inward, Lionheart cursed. in order to counteract this mans terrific speed he had to boost his own, which meant he couldn't boost his Mind Blast to its maximum force - one or the other, but not both at the same time!

OOC I will separate each reply into its own post because it drops the sheer eye bleeding text wall down to manageable chunks plus the chance of losing all the text should the computer hiccup... *shudder* doesn't bear thinking about.

Summary - Lionheart absorbed the physical attack on him, Jackhammer soaked up the riposte. Honours even.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 27 2014, 00:49

Frostbite was encircled by the Wolf and Snake men, watching as first one lunged at him, and the other opened its gaping maw... for fangs like a Cobra to squirt venom in his direction!

OOC The Wolf Man attacks... 8+2 (10) Hit, no damage inflicted as the claws once more scythes through Frostbites form without striking home.

Fatigue check for Dispersal... 10+5 (15) High roll, but not enough to fatigue Frostbite

The snake man fires his venom at Frostbite... 3+1 (4) Missed.

Frostbite leapt aside as a stream of acid blasted past him, sizzling where it touched the wall!

He raised his hands and blasted at the pair of animal villains!

OOC Cold mastery Multi attack on the pair of bad guys... Roll 9+3 (12) The Wolf Man is too agile to hit, and the Snake Man not far behind. Unfortunately you may have to put more effort into it to nail these two.

Again, honours even. Had you targeted just one of the pair you'd have hit with that roll.

Centurion/Stormbreaker to update, will do in the morning (it's 0047 and run out of time) but I intend to knock an update out every day that I'm off.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Feb 27 2014, 08:33

Admin wrote:Frostbite was encircled by the Wolf and Snake men, watching as first one lunged at him, and the other opened its gaping maw... for fangs like a Cobra to squirt venom in his direction!

OOC The Wolf Man attacks... 8+2 (10) Hit, no damage inflicted as the claws once more scythes through Frostbites form without striking home.

Fatigue check for Dispersal... 10+5 (15) High roll, but not enough to fatigue Frostbite

The snake man fires his venom at Frostbite... 3+1 (4) Missed.

Frostbite leapt aside as a stream of acid blasted past him, sizzling where it touched the wall!

He raised his hands and blasted at the pair of animal villains!

OOC Cold mastery Multi attack on the pair of bad guys... Roll 9+3 (12) The Wolf Man is too agile to hit, and the Snake Man not far behind. Unfortunately you may have to put more effort into it to nail these two.

Again, honours even. Had you targeted just one of the pair you'd have hit with that roll.

Centurion/Stormbreaker to update, will do in the morning (it's 0047 and run out of time) but I intend to knock an update out every day that I'm off.

Ok depending on what might be best, I will try and target one at a time next, going for the acid spitting Cobra snake thing.  I don't want to find out if acid can effect me in a dispersed state.  But we'll have to wait and see what happens with the die on Initiative.  

Look forward to them updates when and where you can dish em out mate Wink

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Feb 28 2014, 00:11

Centurion looked up. The flying prisoner with glowing hands was still there, a nondescript fellow in prison fatigues - save of course the fact he was flying near to the top of the forty foot or so high ceiling.

Bombshell, controlled as she was by the red skinned fellow flitted about. Centurion felt for her - Morgana le Fay had been an adept sorceress and the thought of facing magic again chilled his spine! The demonic fellow clearly used some kind of eldritch power though, and it would only be matter of time before it was turned on the Vanguard! What good a powerful suit of armour against magic power that could sear a mans soul into dust?

OOC Gravity Lord raises a hand and blasts our hero again. Roll 6+8 (14) Hit, not enough to affect Centurion in this armour, mind...

Onboard sensors flashed and blared alarms inside the suit as Centurion saw the display indicate some heavy weight had fallen on him... but there was nothing there! Even so, the suit was more sluggish than usual, but otherwise unaffected!

Lifting an arm Centurion willed the gatling gun and its blunt slugs to spin up and brought it to bear on the target!

"Ha! You foolish metal man!" laughed the prisoner. "You think some mundane weapon can burst through MY force field? I harness the power of gravity itself, dolt! I, the GRAVITY LORD, will soon assume my rightful place as ruler of the Earth!"

OOC I'm assuming you're going for Gravity Goon here, and that you don't want to kill the fellow hence the blunt slug reference. That's an important thing to note - heroes don't kill (usually) so ALL combat is assumed to be 'Bashing' combat which will not kill the target. If you want to kill the target, just state you are entering KILLING combat, and I will do the rest. Note that entering killing combat will incur a penalty to hero points earned...

Roll against Gravity Lord: 6+9 (15) 3CS. Does enough damage that even if G Lord absorbed the hit he would still go down!

Suddenly there was a huge roaring RATATATATATATATATATATATATA!!! that made everyone wince and turn at the sound! The ceiling around Gravity Lord was shredded, concrete and steel no match for for the thousands of magnetic propelled rounds that had hammered into and around G Lord!

The villain dropped to the floor with a thud, though it was clear a fall of 40 feet wouldn't do much to a superhuman, even an unconscious one.

OOC GRAVITY LORD is down and out thanks to Centurions projectile weapon.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Feb 28 2014, 07:05

OOC: "Wow go Ross..."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Mar 03 2014, 23:56

The red skinned demonic looking fellow wasn't pleased. "What are you waiting for, fools? You were selected as the most dangerous, as some of the most powerful superhumans in this facility... why are the interlopers not DEAD???"

He turned to Bombshell. "You, girl... kill them ALL!"

Bombshell wailed in dismay and cried out "I... I can't stop it! I can't..." She started to glow... brighter and brighter!

"Hey! HEY! What gives?" shouted the Snake man

The wolf man turned, growling, shielding his eyes... then he vomited on the floor!

Frostbite, Centurion and Lionheart suddenly realised the danger Bombshell posed. Her power, held in check by her will and emotions, had been unleashed by the being who mind controlled her!

"Get out!" she screamed. She wasn't recognisable as a woman any more - merely as a bright flare light up every corner of the room!

OOC First is an area Flash attack.

Attack on:

Snakeman Roll 2d10 → [6,9] = (15) Loses 7APs of Dex (blindness) for 7 phases, down to 6APs
Wolfman 2d10 → [6,4] = (10) Loses 5APs Dex for 5 phases down to 6APs
Gravity Lord 2d10 → [1,6] = (7) Loses 8APs Dex for 8 phases, down to zero Dex

Lionheart 2d10 → [5,10] = (15) Turns away from the flash in time, no effect
Frostbite 2d10 → [4,10] = (14) Loses 11APs Dex for 11 phases (Down to zero) You can reduce this by spending (the last) of your HP, taking 'only' 5 Blind damage and dropping you to 3 Dex if reqd. Your call.
Centurion 2d10 → [1,3] = (4) Turns away from the flash in time, no effect

With a devastating flash that floods most of the room, there were a number of cries out as it caught the combatants outside the dome/field by surprise. The Dome itself seemed to black out instantly, as if to protect the inhabitants.

OOC Initiative:

Heroes 1d10 → [7] = (7)
Villains 1d10 → [8] = (8)

Lionheart and Centurion go first, then Snakeman, Wolfman, Frostbite and Gravity Lord
Bombshell goes last again, but the follow up to her flash attack is coming....

Declare actions.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Mar 04 2014, 07:16

Admin wrote:OOC Initiative:

Heroes 1d10 → [7] = (7)
Villains 1d10 → [8] = (Cool

Lionheart and Centurion go first, then Snakeman, Wolfman, Frostbite and Gravity Lord
Bombshell goes last again, but the follow up to her flash attack is coming....

Declare actions.

OOC:  [size=16.000003814697266]ok so I am not sure if its best to reduce the damage or not, in that if after taking the full damage and being down to three dex its so low I can't do anything anyway or not.  If its better to dump my final HP then lets do it, let be honest Frostbite it going to be the first one down anyway.  So lets go for whatever is best and then attack as before the nearest one to me, wolfman as best I am able.  [/size]

[size=16.000003814697266]As regards Lionheart he'll move into a better position and use his mindblast on the red skinned guy, if he can overcome his defences he can then release Bombshell from his attack.  So firstly Ill use my reserve to bump up my amount from 7- 12 and then put all the HP I can into attack and damage.  No messing this is going to have to be the killer shot or not.  [/size]

As the other recoiled from the blinding light, Lionheart managed to stave off the worst.  Seeking to take advantage of the temporary reprieve he gathered his thoughts and will together.  He had to take out the red skinned fellow, he held the key to this extraordinary situation and without him, maybe they might just be able to shut things down before they got a whole lot worse.  

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Tue Mar 04 2014, 19:12

((The trouble here is that if you don't spend the last of you HP then you're down to 0 Dex and cannot move. I believe the effect also lasts APs of time equal to the effect taken.. in this case that's about 2 hours unless I'm messing up my numbers. If you use your last ditch defense then you have 3 dex and can still take physical actions.

On another thought, Paul wouldn't the drain resistance bracelets everyone is wearing help protect against an attack on their Dex from something like Flash?))

dunecat
Class 2 Hero (Low level superhuman)

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 05 2014, 13:39

OOC Just updating the other threads... I didn't remember to take the Drain Resistance bracelets into account but when reading your suggestion a niggling thought popped into my head.. and sure enough drain resistance doesn't work against restrictive powers that cause Dex to drop to zero (or in this case, I assume 3 as the smart move would be to burn up the last of those HP to give Frosty a fighting chance).

On another note, no mention is made in Flash of reducing offensive powers Acting Values but logic (HA! In a game about people in spandex punching holes through battleships sides and flying) suggests that being blinded would have that effect. So, if that were the case would an Acting Value (of a physical power) be reduced by the RAPs or dropped to the same level as Dex, or not affected? Dune, if you fancy a crack at this take it to the OOC thread if you will please, I'll keep this IC post for the results of what happens.

On another note, sleep deprivation may cause my brain to go fuzzy during posting. First night shift always does that to me (and 4 hours sleep in 48 ain't great either).
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 05 2014, 14:08

OOC Sleep deprivation? Maybe. Absent mindedness? I put that down to old age.

Gravity Lord is DOWN, and therefore the rolls above would logically affect Centurion as well, but I will take the result as it stands because it would be a mess of changing posts. So only Frosty is affected (typical) but had the rolls counted (i.e. not including the comatose Gravity Lord) then Centurion would have been battered as well.

So it's just Frosty, and that question of whether his physical AVs would be reduced (for the OOC thread). Will resolve Lionhearts action right after Stormbreakers...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Wed Mar 05 2014, 19:30

OOC: So centurion is ok?

IC: Steve knew the young woman couldnt hold on much longer, they had to free her even for their own safety. 
He was cumbersome and couldn't charge the red skin fiend in time but spied his window of opportunity when lionheart was obviously bombarding him with a series of mental blasts as the the red skinned man was pounding his ears.
steve didnt have time to assemble a new weapon or new strategy so applied the same tactics as before or lack of by unloading round after round above the wincing man demon until the cattling cannon grunted and steamed as it halted violently.

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Mar 06 2014, 08:12

Admin wrote:OOC Sleep deprivation? Maybe. Absent mindedness? I put that down to old age.

Gravity Lord is DOWN, and therefore the rolls above would logically affect Centurion as well, but I will take the result as it stands because it would be a mess of changing posts. So only Frosty is affected (typical) 

OOC: From the first game we played years ago, Frostbite has consistently been unable to hold his own, on his own.  That is of course what team is about.  But without the dark power, he has always consistently been the underdog.  I guess that is why I like him, there is about him, no sense of carping, no sense of self pity, just a dogged (should that be under dogged) determination to give his all.  

In any case I think he leads by character if not action, his determination in the face of often overwhelming odds, spurs on the party, even if in the process he soaks up the worst the villains could do.  I think that is why I like playing Lionheart, who is often the total opposite. No matter what is done, I think I've yet to see him totally fail.  Just as well I've got both. 

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Mar 10 2014, 23:45

Lionheart figured the red skinned 'Demon' was the key to holding this crowd together, the leader, the driving force.

He had a choice to make though. He could switch his mental force from his superspeed into his mental bolt, then plough his full will, everything he could into hammering the Demonic fellow who was obscured by that dome-like shield.

It was clear the thing was one-way. Attacks out were fine, incoming assaults, blocked...

How much firepower would he need to throw to get through that shield??? He glanced at the speedster nearby. The man had hammered away at him only to be repulsed and frustrated. The mental attack on him had put him on the back foot. What would he try next?

OOC Your call. Reduce Superspeed (and Dex) accordingly and become vulnerable to a pounding from the fast guy in order to get a shot at the Demon behind the shield? How much effort do you want to put into anything? Lionheart has 50 HP remaining. Quite a lot... but that stash can shrink dramatically!

Frostbite blinked... His eyes were full of coloured blurs... he knew he was in trouble, but had been in scrapes for the duration of his superheroic career...

This one would be tricky to get out of if he couldn't see... he squinted... Yes. He could make out blurs. Good enough.

Centurion turned his attention to the Demonic fellow behind the shield...

Levelling the mighty gravity accelerated slug spitting gatling gun on his arm, a weapon that could smash through just about anything, he figured that if anything could punch through that shield to get at the guy, this was it...

OOC Will just wait on the call for Lionhearts powers, then resolve the actions as follows:
Lionheart - superspeed or mental blast, attacking Jackhammer or Red Skin
Jackhammer - attacking Lionheart
Centurion - attacking Red Skin
Snakeman - attack Frostbite
Wolfman - attack Frostbite
Frostbite
Bombshell+any others in the dome around the reactor (including Red Skinned guy who is directing the bad guys like a conductor) act last as they are busy inside the dome - which is blacked out at the moment to prevent anyone looking in...

Gravity Lord is down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Mar 11 2014, 07:31

Admin wrote:Lionheart figured the red skinned 'Demon' was the key to holding this crowd together, the leader, the driving force.

OOC Will just wait on the call for Lionhearts powers, then resolve the actions as follows:
Lionheart - superspeed or mental blast, attacking Jackhammer or Red Skin
Jackhammer - attacking Lionheart
Centurion - attacking Red Skin
Snakeman - attack Frostbite
Wolfman - attack Frostbite
Frostbite
Bombshell+any others in the dome around the reactor (including Red Skinned guy who is directing the bad guys like a conductor) act last as they are busy inside the dome - which is blacked out at the moment to prevent anyone looking in...

Gravity Lord is down

OOC:  "[size=16.000003814697266]Ok I realise this is taking a risk, but its attack the demon guy and perhaps take everyone back a step, or keep chipping away at the fast guy and be overwhelmed.  Seeing how Frostbite has two guys about to attack him, its looking like good night gracie for him.  Anyway, this isn't me being stupid, though one can debate the relative merits of that later, this is a last ditch attempt do try and pull this back before things get much worse and its too late.  Its the nature of the heroic to try and be brave, however its how it turns out later that tends to write it down as heroic or stupid.  [/size]

[size=16.000003814697266]Lionheart will put in as many HP as he can, whilst lowering his speed and dex and increasing his mental bolt power and force field if at all possible, as per my last post.  I will use HP to boost my attacking and effecting and also to try and make sure my force field is sufficiently robust whilst I attempt this all or nothing attack.  [/size]

[size=16.000003814697266]Hope that is clear in the parlance of game terms Wink"[/size]

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Tue Mar 11 2014, 19:52

((Erm, why not have Frosty phase into the floor for the round? He can't be attacked if he does that. He could also use a 'dodge' action to improve his ability to avoid being hit, though he would have to give up his attack for this turn to do so. Just some tactical thoughts  Very Happy ))

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 12 2014, 00:03

Lionheart switched his mental energy to his mind blast and looked towards where he figured the Demon was...

Crackling energy gathered around him, the lion on his chest glowed...

"Lightshowsain'tgonnasaveyouhero!" snarled Jackhammer!

OOC Lionheart pumps all his effort into the attack! And it's going to need to be good to punch through that field. Right then, power reserve 8, 7 points into Mind Blast (boost to 14) then 1 point into force field (boost to 8). Add 28 HP to bring Mind blast up to 28 for AV and EV, then add 14HP to RV to boost from 17 to 31.

With 28AV you can afford to go for a Devastating attack against even the smartest of opponents. You still only need 5 or more. Roll 2d10 → [9,9] = (18) DOUBLE plus 2d10 → [9,4] = (13). 31 total.

That's 6 column shifts (to effectively boost your effect value) from devastating attack PLUS 7 column shifts from the roll. Ok, now things get interesting... 29RAPs. BOOOOOOOOOOOOM! Headshot!

Even if Demon guy uses last ditch defence he is still down for the count. With regards the RV I thought it would be impregnable even if LH used HP, but that roll on top of a Devastating Attack? Kapow!

Suddenly crackling energy exploded around Lionheart and blasted in a solid torrent towards the large black dome! There was a flash before it vanished... and Lionheart felt rather than saw his psychic lion strike home!

Bombshell cried out and shouted "I'm free! FREE!" before she summoned her body back into a human shape from the formless energy cloud it had been!

Lionheart turned then... into a flurry of blows from Jackhammer!

OOC First the fatiguing check for Lionheart. Roll 2d10 → [9,10] = (19) Lionheart takes 4 Mind damage. Absorb (you have 8Hp left) or take it (drops you to 5/9 Mind).

Then the attack on LH. Jackhammer adds 6HP to AV and goes for a critical blow. Roll 2d10 → [6,10] = (16) 11RAPs. This would be enough to knock Lionheart out, so I assume the following:

Take the Mind damage. Lionheart is on 5/9 Mind
Absorb what he can (8 points) of the physical damage and be reduced to 6/9 Body. He's on 0HP, battered, but still standing!

Thrown twenty feet through the air to clatter against the wall, Lionheart sees stars for a moment before he realises he's still in one piece after being struck thousands of times by harder than steel hands! Not an experience he wants to repeat, and his attacker is jubilant!

"Ha!Youthinkyou'resotoughbutnooneisfasterortougherthanJackhammer!" he laughs. "Getupglowingman!Iwanttoputyoudownagain!"

OOC Want to react as Ryan suggested with Frostbite? Also who is Centurion targeting?

RED DEMON is DOWN
GRAVITY LORD is DOWN
BOMBSHELL regains control of her mind

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Mar 12 2014, 07:15

dunecat wrote:((Erm, why not have Frosty phase into the floor for the round? He can't be attacked if he does that. He could also use a 'dodge' action to improve his ability to avoid being hit, though he would have to give up his attack for this turn to do so. Just some tactical thoughts  Very Happy ))

OOC: Ha, I was so focused around what Lionheart should do I simply forgot about Frostbite.  Yeah when it comes to Frostbites turn, lets do as Dunecat suggested for a round.  However lets play hide and seek and try and lead the other two away from the action.  Trying to get them so focused on Frostbite that they get enraged enough to want to follow him alone.  

Frostbite smirked defiantly at his assailants as he saw yet another opponent go down.  He was careful to mask his reaction as he saw Lionheart go flying across the room though, and had to hope that his last ditch attempt would be helpful in turn things in the next few moments.  

As he sunk into the floor he smirked again at the pair saying, "Oh you know Wolfbait, I've had enough of your wet dog smell, now the heats being turned up you've got more scent than I know what to do with.  I'm surprised your friend here doesn't just bite you and put you out of your misery.  Then again he might be immune to his own poison but not yours, I guess.  Anyway catch me if you can..."

And with that Frostbite ducked into the floor, popping up a few feet away before doing so again, all the time calling out, "Wolfbait and belly crawler, can you guys be any more of an embarrassment to the whole Super villain community.  I mean, when you walk in every one most walk out.  Sheesh, your scent isn't something even a mother would want to smell."

OOC: I think you get the idea of where I am going with this, where my powers do not help, I'll use my super wit instead ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Mar 13 2014, 12:36

[[Wait! In the distance! Is that the bugles of the 7th Cavalry riding to the rescue!?]]  Surprised 
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 18 2014, 00:12

OOC Centurion can attack Jackhammer (who is bothering Lionheart), Snakeman or Wolfman (both on Frostbite) or could go for the truly ambitious shot of targeting all three.

Frosty will need to use all of his Dispersal to ensure he can sink into the floor, thus runs the risk of being fatigued.

Roll 4,5 (9) Frostbite takes 3 Mental Damage as a pounding headache rings through his head!

The NEW Vangurd! Issue #3 - New Team, old problems - Lionheart/Frostbite/Silver Sentinel/Wandafar (for now - see text) - Page 5 Frostbite_Scores

With a grunt of effort and ignoring Frostbots' protestation that Frostbites blood pressure was spiking through the ceiling, the hero goaded the animal supervillains into chasing him, the pair so angry that their words came out as incoherence!

Their attacks smashed into rock as Frostbite ducked in and out of view, submerged into the rock of the floor and ducked up here, there, leading them a merry chase with his continued taunts and sharp tongue! The pair didn't need much excuse to go berserk, the animal that gave them their power overriding their reason!

The black dome in the centre of the room still obscured the sight of what was going on inside it. The reactor was in there, and its radiation leak with it. What were the remaining supervillains seeking to accomplish?

And yet... and yet Lionheart had proven the field was not impregnable. Could the team breach it in time to stop whatever was about to happen?

OOC Just need Ross' target. At the end of NEXT round Haunt arrives in a cloud of Fog...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 20 2014, 23:05

OOC Will move things on in the morning and assume Ross/Centurion goes for one of Frostbites' targets unless otherwise stated...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next