The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK!

3 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK! - Page 4 Empty Re: THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK!

Post  Admin Thu Jun 18 2020, 10:10

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 17

OOC Maybe put a link to your dropbox or file host it on a free site and put the link up for the magazine. Maybe try http://www.tinyupload.com/

Acrobatics can't be used to attack with unfortunately but it shouldn't be too hard to slam the creature out of the window - if you can hit with that added difficulty!

You have enough for 2 HP dice if you want but that would leave you with only 4HP remaining. I'll assume you go with one die and see how that does...

Haunt Dex 10 + 1D HP + Roll(3d12)+0: 1,12,10,+0 Total:22 (32) vs
OV8 + 3 Diff + Roll(2d12)+0: 8,9,+0 Total:17 (25) Hit +4 EV (to 19 Str)

19EV vs RV12 + 3 Diff (15)=4RAPs minus weight of 3APs = 1 AP knockback.

Normally this creature has Cling 13 which would pretty much rule out any knockback whatsoever. However...

'Holmes' throws himself at the slimy midriff and feels resistance but that changes when the rug the creature is stood on is whipped up, throwing the chair sat on it and LeStrade/Holmes off their feet to thud onto their backsides! There is a loud CRASH! as the window goes through and Haunt/Faceless tumble through the air!

The creature slashes at Haunt and he knows he's in trouble!

OOC The faceless has Dex 8/Claws 15 so this may sting somewhat... It's almost as strong as Haunt so with the added difficulty grappling with it might not be a good idea!

AV8 + 3 Diff + 3D M arts + Roll(5d12)+0: 10,9,6,3,10,+0 Total:20 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 4,3,+0 Total:27 (38) vs
OV10 + 3D Acrobatics + Roll(5d12)+0: 12,12,7,11,9,+0 Total:24 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 4,4,+0 Total:8 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 4,8,+0 Total:44 (54) Attack Missed!

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 11

Rolling and tumbling through the air Haunt spins and twists through the air and lands on his feet with the Faceless landing on its... and expecting Haunts head in its hands! It growls, roaring, and is about to lunge at Haunt/Holmes again until it looks back up at the window... and is about to jump back up there!

"Now THAT is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen and the streets o London ain't exactly pretty!" said a man on a rooftop looking down on the street!

"You LOOK like Sherlock 'Olmes...But ees dead ... an THAT looks like nowt I've ever seen... which begs th' question... who's lights do I punch out first? Oh, and me?"

"I'm SPRING HEELED JACK!"

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK! - Page 4 Spring-heeled-jack

OOC initiative...

Roll(3d12)+0:
9 Haunt (39),7 faceless (27) ,2 Spring Heeled Jack (32)

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK! - Page 4 Empty Re: THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK!

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jun 18 2020, 13:29

Admin wrote:STEEPLEJACK DIFFICULTY 3 HP 42

Despite ADVENT, time travel and dark forces abroad, Steeplejack couldn't help but smile at this woman who might just be the link and ally he needed to solve the mystery of why he was here! But how much of his story dare he tell her?

Thankful for his senses and his abilities remaining intact, Penny, 'felt' like someone who he could trust. But it was more than trusts, telling her too much also placed on her a burden of responsibility. Although that had already seemed to have been decided for her. Still, Steeplejack wasn't used to spilling all his secrets or any for that matter straight away. And decided to stick to a bare outline.

He mentioned the hope of chasing a story, finding himself on a ship that ran aground, being rescued by a light housekeeper and the spare clothes and hence finding himself here. "What I didn't know was why the ship had run aground, it turns out it had unexpected visitors who took to midnight feasting. The crew were killed and I tried to save one man, but he sadly didn't make it either. Clearly, someone has work for me to still do here and this Nosferatu has some explaining to offer.

Then sniffing at this sleeve, Steeplejack laughed and said, "I see what you mean about these clothes, just as well you seem unperturbed."

OOC: Ok as we go get clothes I'll explain about the maid, same injuries as the sailor on the ship and speculate as to the hows and whys etc, and then ask if she thinks she has any clues as to where we look next?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 18 2020, 15:40

STEEPLEJACK DIFFICULTY 3 HP 42

"Well first Mr Gibbs those clothes and a bath need to be attended to. As I arrived myself only this morning I shall assume you have little in the way of funds after your mishap?" she asked.

Jack nodded and she shrugged "One must do something with one's trust fund and I shall not hear otherwise, for I feel you to be a man of honour and of some importance I believe to solving this mystery and finding out who or what this Mr Nosferatu is. It sounds like a foreign word and of some meaning to suggest something... sinister I feel."

A couple of hours later jack had picked out some clothes from a local shop that just about covered his strong athletic frame and been booked into a guest house only a couple of doors down from the one where Penny stayed. Now the pair enjoyed a sandwich and tea in a public house overlooking the harbour ,the Duke of York (OOC and very nice it is too, spent a fair bit of time in there!).

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK! - Page 4 Doy-pub

Taking a sip from her tea, Penny frowned. "So the maid died in similar circumstances to the man on the ship you say? A wound to the neck, like some horrid... bite? I propose it to be the work of some vile animal or madman from some local asylum. It is said when the moon is full the howls from the place carry far and wide."

She looked out over the harbour and continued "My dreams were detailed in many respects but not so in others. I saw no mention of the ship you encountered nor of the murdered maid, poor thing. However they come and go and are little  in the way of use when much of what I see either doesn't come to pass or has happened at a time when I am somewhere else."

"I must confess to having placed a bet on a horse which I *knew* would win the derby and through guilt donated all the winnings to a local orphanage, pledging myself never to bet again!" she said, somewhat ashamed.

"I feel... I feel that we should make our way to the local Doctor and examine the bodies at the morgue, if they are not in too ghastly a shape. The Police would not authorise such a visit of course and we are both strangers to the community so will fall under suspicion if we are not careful but there must be some way to connect the two deaths and from there get some definitive cause of death."

She stood in her 'day' clothes which were riding trousers, boots, tweed jacket, shirt with ruffles and hat, which she settled on her head. jack rose in his own trousers, shirt and tie, tweed jacket and top hat with cane. "You look quite the dish sir!" she said and offered an arm. "And I am glad to walk out with you! Especially as that horrid smell is gone!"

=========

Walking from the road where the horse and carriage waited to a Doctor's surgery they found the door ajar and a Policeman left, tipping hat to the lady and wearing a frown as he made his way to the bicycle propped against the wall.

He was shaking his head as he rode away back to Whitby a mile or so away.

Entering, the pair looked to find a Doctors surgery waiting room and several patients waiting. A woman at the desk raised an eyebrow and Penny put on a tearful display proclaiming herself to have heard of the death of the maid and wondering if it was in fact her sister. The woman comforted her and fetched a Doctor who look bewildered and flustered.

"Ah madam, that is... there has been a ... complication. You see, both the young lady and a man brought earlier from a sunken ship, the Demeter,  were awaiting examination in my storage room but it seems... well, this is irregular but... both bodies have been spirited away!" said the Doctor in hushed tones. "I am terribly sorry and the Police have been informed but..."

He held out his hands and shook his head sadly. "Most irregular." he said, walking away.

Penny turned to Jack and asked "What do you make of that?"

Last edited by Admin on Thu Jun 18 2020, 21:29; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jun 18 2020, 20:21

Admin wrote:He held out his hands and shook his head sadly. "Most irregular," he said, walking away.

Penny turned to Jack and asked, "What do you make of that?"

"Wait, Doctor!" Steeplejack said in haste. Moving over to the Doctor, motioning Penny to join him. He said in a low tone. "I am so sorry for the peculiar nature of what has happened, could I trouble to you look at where you stored the bodies. If some thief has made off with them, might there be some clues to alert the police to this devilish behaviour? I assume they were locked away, or at least secure in some measure. In any case, call me an amateur sleuth if you will, but maybe a scuff mark, a loose thread, anything that might help bring comfort at this time where we're already suffering such a terrible loss. We won't be any trouble and we'll be gone in a matter of moments?

Steeplejack subtly nodded to Penny to encourage her to play along.

OOC: if we get the go-ahead, I'm wondering if these guys busted out or were busted out. And if they are day walkers, might they have not gone far? And any other clues, including weather Penny, gets any stronger impressions from being around where they lay etc. If all else fails we can get Penny to faint and I take a look, but I am hoping it won't come to that, as I'd like her in on it.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 18 2020, 21:45

The Doctor shrugged. "The lock was broken on the refrigerated room. We keep them in the cool cellars. It's chilly down there ma'am." he added to Penny as he led the way out the back around 100 feet from the road/surgery to a wooden hut. Opening that revealed some steep stairs down into darkness.

Lighting a lantern and holding it high he led the way down a dingy set of steps and muttered "Sometimes its a real challenge getting the bodies down these godsforsaken steps. Slippery. Mind yourselves."

It WAS cool down here and the sturdy wooden door at the morgue entrance. The lock was on the floor and looked - to Steeplejacks eyes - to have been twisted by some massive powerful force!

"Crowbar I shouldn't wonder..." muttered the Doctor. "But why steal two fresh dead bodies? Chills the blood. Worse is one was a local lass. The family will be mortified and I'll be lynched." he groaned. "What will they bury? Bad enough she was murdered horribly..." he shook his head and turned away.

The room was cold and had a series of boxes lined up against one wall, two of which had been pulled out from the line and were empty with lids off. "When did this happen?" asked Penny. "Oh... two hours ago I suppose? give or take." he said as the Doctor checked his pocket watch.

"We were having dinner at the time." said Penny to Jack.

Penny moved past Jack and placed a hand on a box.

OOC Postcognition check 16 + Roll(2d12)+0: 12,2,+0 Total:14 (30) vs
Two Hours 11OV + Roll(2d12)+0: 10,2,+0 Total:12 (23) +4 (to 20) vs 11RV=9 RAPs

"A powerful man entered this room... and not a man. Uhhh..." she shuddered and faltered, with jack offering a hand. Continuing she muttered "Skin like... oozing slime... tall! Almost to the ceiling! Limitless strength... It came in a man... changed to a ... thing... then left as a man with a body over each shoulder... carried with no effort."

The Doctor frowned. "What is she saying?" he muttered.

Penny turned to Jask. "I never saw or heard of a creature that could mimic a man and be so beastly! What could it be?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Jun 19 2020, 14:54

Rolling and tumbling through the air Haunt spins and twists through the air and lands on his feet with the Faceless landing on its... and expecting Haunts head in its hands! It growls, roaring, and is about to lunge at Haunt/Holmes again until it looks back up at the window... and is about to jump back up there!

"Now THAT is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen and the streets o London ain't exactly pretty!" said a man on a rooftop looking down on the street!

"You LOOK like Sherlock 'Olmes...But ees dead ... an THAT looks like nowt I've ever seen... which begs th' question... who's lights do I punch out first? Oh, and me?"

"I'm SPRING HEELED JACK!"

ooc: LOL! I actually found some of the old covers of some penny dreadfuls that deal with Spring Heeled Jack. Was going to put them up when I had time.

"I'll get to you later and we can decide then," Holmes' replies. "And do not consider me dead until after the autopsy and the burial, and even then, maybe not."

ooc: Plan is to grab putty man and run down the street, getting him as far away as possible from the time stone so he will disappear back to his own time.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jun 19 2020, 19:58

Admin wrote:Penny turned to Jack. "I never saw or heard of a creature that could mimic a man and be so beastly! What could it be?"

Steeplejack's brow furrowed he knew what the creature was, he'd seen one try to transform into Doc Spurlock a decade earlier in the American West. A creature of the future enemies Advent. But this wasn't the time for such an admission. What was strange was how and why they should be in league with vampires? What could they hope to gain by destroying past heroes or generations using vampires?

Looking about for any other clues that might yield some suggestions, when they'd finished, Steeplejack turned the to doctor taking his hand warmly.

"Well Doctor this is a real mystery at no mistake and what is worse is the shocking thought that such a thing a grave robbing has happened in this enlightened age. What is the world coming to? Well, I feel we've imposed on you far to long Doctor you've patients who might be getting a little impatient. We'd best leave and if we hear of anything well here is where you can contact Mistress Penny or me.

When they had got clear of the doctor's Surgery, Steeplejack took Penny by the arm and simply suggested that they go for a walk.

As they walked and discussed their findings, a pained expression came over Steeplejack. He hated to burden this beautiful and gifted girl with the knowledge he had but what point would there be in not disclosing it, when her power had clearly disclosed so much already. Perhaps laying things out might help her make more sense of things. But at the same time, knowledge was a Pandora's box and would she feel his disclosure made things worse than better?

Seeing his pensive face, Steeplejack sat Penny down on an available bench somewhat removed from the people passing to and fro.

"I think you know enough to know that I haven't been totally honest, or rather I know more than I've let on. I am afraid my tale will sound fantastic the stuff of myth. But then you have already witnessed some of that. And if this is going to continue I suspect knowing what I know will only help you. Whether I like it or not, you seem to be with me in this one way or another...it started in my own time...

And starting with the encounter with Haunt, Steeplejack fleshed out the details, how they met Professor Thoth, how they went back to save their timeline, the future, from Penny's time from aliens bent on conquest. He explained how they had already been in the America's and how they were not pulled forward to this time. Advent and their minions were clearly up to something here. Nosferatu might be something they are playing off or a player they've enlisted for their own twisted ends. What Steeplejack didn't know was what had happened to his erstwhile teammate Haunt and what Advent was up to here and indeed who they were trying to kill. Had they even succeeded already? For all Steeplejack knew the maid or the seaman where their intended targets?

"I know what I've told you sounds fantastic and truth is that is only the half of it. But the rest will have to wait, what can't is a solid lead, we know Advent is here, but we don't know where who or for what or whom? We're in a real dead end here I fear?

OOC: Not sure what to do now, so I am blathering for the express reason of needing some more bread crumbs. And hoping that there might yet be a lead to link things here.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jun 19 2020, 21:38

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 11

Haunt moves to the Faceless and reaches to grab onto him with super strong arms!

OOC Not using Omni Arm? I guess not to keep some pretence of being Holmes up.

AV10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 12,12,+0 Total:24 BOOM double + Roll(2d12)+0: 9,8,+0 Total:41 (51) vs
OV8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 10,5,+0 Total:15 (23) +7 (to 22 Str) vs Str 13=9RAPs.

Haunt scoops up the towering Faceless and hears Spring Heeled Jack mutter "Bloody hell"

Then he runs as fast as he can bemoans not using his body as a giant spring to bound a mile away with every leap!

Even so the creature in his grasp thrashes about and decides to try and BITE Haunt... then vanishes.

Haunt/Holmes is stood alone at the end of Baker Street and looks about. It's dark, quiet and deserted.

And Spring Heeled Jack has gone!

OOC the Faceless is gone, back to his own time as planned!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jun 19 2020, 21:56

The Doctor looked worn out and stressed and wandered back to his surgery, inconsolable.

In the next few minutes Steeplejack laid out his -to Penny at least - fantastic sounding tale.

"So... you say a man named Thoth. I must say, I know not of the name. Perhaps I..."

OOC Precognition 16 + Roll(2d12)+0: 12,6,+0 Total:18 (34) vs
OV15 + Roll(2d12)+0: 10,6,+0 Total:16 (31) +2 EV 9to 18) vs RV15=3RAPs

"Oh. Tomorrow late in the day. In London. I shall meet a man... balding, well dressed and spoken... You are there... and someone else. A man. Sherlock Holmes?" she said, staring into space. "Well jack or whatever your name is, you have spun a tall tale and no doubt but with little to demonstrate the truth of it I shall have to take it on faith alone. And I shall." she added. "You have not been base or false in any of the dealings we have had in this short time together and according to my vision - which may or may not be true - we are due in London to meet with a man with a cane. He has a beautiful oriental companion, she is quite lovely. I cannot hear what they... oh... it's gone." she said, blinking. "It is so strange to be here and yet see there and speak to you and they cannot hear me but the visions seem so...oh!"

She fainted again and this time Steeplejack had to catch her. Taking her fan he wafted it until it achieved the required effect and she came to. "Again? Oh dear. I fear these powers come at a price. And yet... you believe me, do you not? Do you... can you... perform feats of fantastical amazement?"

She looked about at the moors and the surgery half a mile distant, the path/road back to Whitby.

"I suspect the person responsible for the foul murders has absconded, and that they are not alone, hence the stolen bodies. My vision says I am in London tomorrow and I suggest we share a carriage to that place with all haste! We can spend time scurrying around here and come up short, wasting our chance to meet with this man in London. I didn't even get an address but I feel my... talent... will guide us."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jun 19 2020, 22:40

"I suspect the person responsible for the foul murders has absconded, and that they are not alone, hence the stolen bodies. My vision says I am in London tomorrow and I suggest we share a carriage to that place with all haste! We can spend time scurrying around here and come up short, wasting our chance to meet with this man in London. I didn't even get an address but I feel my... talent... will guide us."

Steeplejack smiled a warm smile. I think we have a faster way to travel than by carriage. If you get your things and meet me in the lobby of your hotel, we shall return here and I will show you why I was caught up in this fantastic journey in the first place.

OOC: OK Assuming we can gather our bits without a problem, I'll lead her to the moor, grab a hefty enough stone and basically fly us there I think even with gliding 5 I can get a fair pace going that would be better than taking a carriage, but I will modify it so that we aren't blown to bits and look a dishevelled mess, even get a rock which I can shape slightly to give Penny some cover so she might sit comfortably and I will be able to steer us. I will aim to avoid towns and anyone looking on and steer us near the outskirts of London where from which we can alight and take more conventional travel into town.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Jun 20 2020, 00:08

Then he runs as fast as he can bemoans not using his body as a giant spring to bound a mile away with every leap!

Even so the creature in his grasp thrashes about and decides to try and BITE Haunt... then vanishes.

Haunt/Holmes is stood alone at the end of Baker Street and looks about. It's dark, quiet and deserted.

And Spring Heeled Jack has gone!

OOC the Faceless is gone, back to his own time as planned!

"Holmes" looks about, hoping against hope that the real Sherlock Holmes will step out of the shadows and ....

[nothing probably but hey, one can wish!]

Keeping his eyes out, he looks for any other clues that he might have missed during his struggle, heading back to the entrance of 221B Baker St.

ooc: Yeah, doing my best to remain Holmes during all this. Can't wait to see what brilliant idea I come up with to explain "Holmes'" increase burst of strength. study
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jun 20 2020, 23:39

OOC Remember that Time Travel difficulty thing? That will limit your range and speed somewhat. To move a volume of Earth of eight cubic feet (3APs enough to carry two human adults) you have a difficulty of 6.

Earth Control 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 10,3,+0 Total:13 (23) vs
OV6 + Roll(2d12)+0: 9,1,+0 Total:10 (16) +4 EV (to 14) vs RV6=8 RAPs. At that rate it would take an hour and the dice will be up and down... Failure would mean some quick thinking and action from Steeplejack!

"Well I say, I must have travelled in all manner of ways - horseback, carriage, bicycle even sail boat and one of those train things, but this...?" she chuckled, looking at the stone and earth sphere with a cushion of soft grass to sit on and windows formed of a pane of broken glass set into the sphere sides.

"You're ... serious?" she asked. The sphere was mostly full of her luggage which was quite a bit! She sat in, shrugged and said "I've seen enough strange things over the last day to humour you Jack, so ... 'fly on' " she said, expecting nothing to happen, despite the fact she'd gasped in amazement when soil and rock leapt together to form the sphere.

What followed was a series of 'hops' with the sphere for the most part in the air!

OOC No way would Steeplejack last 300 miles to London! The power would burn out at some point. Far more reliable is the jumping 5APs which would take just over 8 hours. Gliding needs a line swinger and effectively emulates swinging between high rise buildings with a grapple gun. Steeplejack is a high street level type character rather than a standard flies a long distance in seconds type super.

"It's...." started Penny "Amazing..." she added "...but not...." she struggled to say "...especially com..." again a pause "...fortable!" as he bounded time and again at 300 yards per leap!

They stopped along the way a number of times. Slow going it was and even Steeplejack on his own would not manage to get there too much faster. Finally conceding that Penelope would be a dishevelled mess by the time they got to London after thousands of leaps they stopped off at a town and hired a horse and carriage.

The pair travelled in reasonable comfort throughout the night with Penelope wrapped in travel blankets and asleep on Steeplejacks shoulder. Looking out into the darkness he recognised much of what he saw but it was older and without the building and development that would come in the 20th century, effectively spoiling hundreds of square miles of countryside. Such was the price of progress. penny had paid extra to travel during the night and the horse drawn carriage stopped a number of times to change horses and driver.

As dawn peeked through the windows Steeplejack stirred and figured he must have fallen asleep during the night. Penny was still sleeping and he stretched out a bit before the carriage came to a halt. "Only an hour or so to go" said the driver as he got down for a smoke of his pipe. "We'll stop for a leg stretch and horse change in the next town and some breakfast then be in London for about 9." he said, checking a pocket watch. "Pretty lady you have with you sir, and she paid a very tidy sum to get to London overnight. I 'aven't seen this much money in a long while let me tell you, so I couldn't turn it down nor could the others. She must think it important to get to London says I."

=========

The Carriage pulled up outside a grand house and Penelope stepped down from the carriage with Steeplejack and the Driver helping with the bags and the cases.

"Mistress Penelope!" said a Butler opening the door and rushing down steps into the street to help with the bags. She smiled and turned to Steeplejack. "Graeme our Butler shall see you comfortably set up with a room and a change of clothes! I for one cannot wait to take a bath!" she paid the carriage driver who set off happy and the pair made their way into the grand five storey deep town house which in Steeplejacks day would costs millions of pounds in this part of London. Tens of millions probably.

As he soaked in a bath Steeplejack laid back. Pennys vision had determined they would be in London this day and so it was, but why? What could be the reason that...

"Eeeeeeeeeeeee!" came a scream from somewhere in the house!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jun 21 2020, 00:06

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 11

'Holmes' turned round to head back to 221B Baker Street and paused as he saw a light from a match in an alleyway opposite where he was walking...

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK! - Page 4 Holmes-disguise

A sailor stepped from the alley and Haunt narrowed his eyes. Familiar somehow...

"You know." said the man in a clear, crisp voice that was unlike his appearance suggested. "One might say one is flattered, to be imitated by not one, but by two supernatural beings who defy the very laws of physics, common sense and God almighty." he said dragging on his pipe.

He stepped closer and despite the disguise Haunt knew this was the REAL Sherlock Holmes!

"Mister Carter I presume?" offered Holmes. "I can only apologise for LeStrades' treatment of you. I left you at the scene of the crime to make some enquiries of my own. Lycanthropes, shape shifters, men who leap over buildings dressed like a bat, whatever is the world coming to? And yet I feel like something has changed and will continue to change, and not for the better. The question is why? What can be gained by such incidents? When I discovered I was being followed I made preparations and as expected an intruder came to my house, fooling Mrs Hudson the poor woman. She must be beside herself. The concoction I prepared of a number of different narcotics would have flattened an Elephant, and yet I made it stronger on a hunch. Enough to kill. The creature you have ... disposed of was strong enough to resist that and the needle barely punctured its skin but enough to administer a dose that while not lethal was enough to incapacitate it for a short while. Remarkable. Had Watson shot it with his gun I feel it would have done less than the drugs I administered through the seat back of my favourite chair before I made good my escape."

He sucked on his pipe again. "One wonders whether dynamite would even make a dent. And here are you, fresh arrived from the Americas with a remarkable likeness to my own. Too remarkable. As a dab hand in the art of disguise my efforts compared to yours mark me as a novice. I doubt the finest make up artist in all the world could perform the duplication which you have somehow managed. So tell me, Mr Carter, to whom am I REALLY addressing?"

The Worlds greatest detective asked of the worlds second greatest detective. Together the pooling of their minds would surely hunt down ADVENT and their nefarious hand in ... whatever this was that was going on!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Jun 21 2020, 05:12

"Mister Carter I presume?" offered Holmes. "I can only apologise for LeStrades' treatment of you. I left you at the scene of the crime to make some enquiries of my own. Lycanthropes, shape shifters, men who leap over buildings dressed like a bat, whatever is the world coming to? And yet I feel like something has changed and will continue to change, and not for the better. The question is why? What can be gained by such incidents? When I discovered I was being followed I made preparations and as expected an intruder came to my house, fooling Mrs Hudson the poor woman. She must be beside herself. The concoction I prepared of a number of different narcotics would have flattened an Elephant, and yet I made it stronger on a hunch. Enough to kill. The creature you have ... disposed of was strong enough to resist that and the needle barely punctured its skin but enough to administer a dose that while not lethal was enough to incapacitate it for a short while. Remarkable. Had Watson shot it with his gun I feel it would have done less than the drugs I administered through the seat back of my favourite chair before I made good my escape."

He sucked on his pipe again. "One wonders whether dynamite would even make a dent. And here are you, fresh arrived from the Americas with a remarkable likeness to my own. Too remarkable. As a dab hand in the art of disguise my efforts compared to yours mark me as a novice. I doubt the finest make up artist in all the world could perform the duplication which you have somehow managed. So tell me, Mr Carter, to whom am I REALLY addressing?"

The Worlds greatest detective asked of the worlds second greatest detective. Together the pooling of their minds would surely hunt down ADVENT and their nefarious hand in ... whatever this was that was going on!

"I forget, had H.G. Wells written his novel called The Time Machine," "Holmes'" asks, while drawing the real Sherlock back into the shadows so he could change back into Nick Carter. "If so, have you read it? There's a gram of truth in that story. Myself and this creature I fought are from the future. The 21st Century to be exact."

He summons his Fog to conceal their location even more from prying eyes. Once he does that, he changes back into the Haunt then back into Nick Carter.

"I'm what you might call a costumed crimefighter and I go by the name of the Haunt. In our future there was an ...."

He goes on to tell quickly about the giant monsters and how the Advent just showed up in the nick of time to take out the monsters and then decided to stay on Earth to "help out" with the recovery and making Earth a better place ... for free. He tells of his year long captivity, what he can remember of it, and the experiments/torture the Advent did on him. He explains briefly about superpowers and the various ways people will gain them in the future though some already have them here in the past but usually due to magical means. He tells of learning that the Advent now has time travel and has gone into the past to eliminate VIPs who would bring about great change in society, like Holmes, or whose descendants would become important. He tells of his partner in time Steeplejack, now separated, and how Prof. Thoth has sent them in the past to save it and how Prof. Thoth, though probably under another name, is also here and they will need his help sooner or later. How removing the time stones make the Advent agents disappear back into the future.

"And I have no idea about werewolves and that strangely dressed man, heh!, pot calling kettle black, if they are a part of the Advent's efforts or actually belong in this time period. So keeping you, Watson and LeStrade alive while finding the Advent, beating them, removing their time stones," he finishes up, "finding Steeplejack and then Prof. Thoth and heading for our next stop in time is the goal. So that's the story. Now we have to sooth Watson's and LeStrade's nerves and figure out what to do next."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jun 21 2020, 13:09

"Eeeeeeeeeeeee!" came a scream from somewhere in the house!

OOC: Oh yes I'd forgotten that our powers are still somewhat limited - I think its swapping between characters and not having used them for a few weeks in real-time it slipped my mind. the ungainly way we 'hopped' might have given me pause for thought, but oh well too late now.

Hearing the scream Steeplejack lept out of the bathwater practically surging after him like a hungry beast rising to snatch him back, before falling about the floor with a wet slap soaking all the furniture walls and carpets. Steeplejack paid it no mind. Grabbing a robe in the interests of not causing any more screams from running naked about the house, he opened the door, trying to break it as he went and headed in the direction of the sound.

OOC: I am assuming that this is Penny, that she has either become a target or seen something that made her give an involuntary cry. Either way, running toward the scene and hoping I don't give too much away in the act of helping a lady.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jun 21 2020, 17:38

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 11

Holmes listens impassively and says "Remarkable. I have in my years seen many things to doubt my faith, my sanity, my very sense and here you are. How can I NOT believe you when you demonstrate the very abilities that should not exist but which do? These ... ADVENT appear to be laying the foundations. Murders, Lycanthropes, an assassination attempt on myself... From what you describe they plan to change history by killing someone or preventing someones' death. And so... let us sketch an overall picture."

"The British Empire reaches across the world. It is a thing that cannot be undone by the killing of even the Queen. However if they were to introduce some... contagion, some great horror here, at it's heart then... THEN it might crumble and anarchy reign across the world for years untold! You are from the future you say? It would not be advisable to reveal so much of what you know for fear it will change this present, what for you would be the past. You may even find yourself ceasing to exist! This Thoth you mention... I shall research, determine if he exists in this time and place."

"This friend and companion of yours, the Steeplejack. He has powers and abilities too? The pair of you may be our greatest weapon in the fight against history being altered! Another weapon... may be for you to continued masquerading as me. I can move unseen, unknown, in the shadows and the light as someone else. It depends on how confident you feel about being 'me'. I suppose at some point we could switch..."

"Because you face as much risk as I do, facing off against these supernatural creatures, the choice shall be yours!"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jun 21 2020, 18:40

Steeplejack sprinted about and saw the Butler rushing up a flight of stairs so followed him. At the top of the stairs was a landing and it wound round before continuing up the house with yet another flight of stairs. However the door in question was ajar the Butler headed to and lying in the doorway was a maid, fainted. The draft from the room wafted over the Butler and Steeplejack as they looked in... the window wide open, the bathwater still rippling and Penelope Harkness... GONE!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jun 21 2020, 20:45

Steeplejack sprinted about and saw the Butler rushing up a flight of stairs so followed him. At the top of the stairs was a landing and it wound round before continuing up the house with yet another flight of stairs. However the door in question was ajar the Butler headed to and lying in the doorway was a maid, fainted. The draft from the room wafted over the Butler and Steeplejack as they looked in... the window wide open, the bathwater still rippling and Penelope Harkness... GONE!

Steeplejack didn't stop for a breath, leaping over to the window, he looked out then hung out and then clambered up onto the roof looking for clues, or any sign of Penelope.

OOC: Very good sir, you knew I needed a detective and look what you've landed me in I'll be off looking for the best detective there is, Mr Holmes I presume ;-) Brilliantly played sir, brilliantly played. Anyway if there are any clues or anything to follow I will do so.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Jun 21 2020, 21:12

! This Thoth you mention... I shall research, determine if he exists in this time and place."

"This friend and companion of yours, the Steeplejack. He has powers and abilities too? The pair of you may be our greatest weapon in the fight against history being altered! Another weapon... may be for you to continued masquerading as me. I can move unseen, unknown, in the shadows and the light as someone else. It depends on how confident you feel about being 'me'. I suppose at some point we could switch..."

"Because you face as much risk as I do, facing off against these supernatural creatures, the choice shall be yours!"

"It would help if Watson was in on this," Nick/Homes/Haunt says slowly, thinking things over, "he knows you best and having him provide me information of this time period that I would not be aware of and helping to keep suspicions off me as you by letting me know what you would know, would be of great help. Why don't you return as yourself, we can say you have been practicing some special kind of yoga you learned of in the Far East that temporarily boosts one's strength which is why you were able to handle the monster and get him away from here? I'll will be with you as Nick Carter. We get rid of LeStrade and his men, tell Watson as much of my story as you feels he needs, then I will replace you again as you go about in disguise doing your investigations. Or do you have a better idea?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jun 22 2020, 20:50

Steeplejack leapt past the stunned Butler and to the window, seeing water on the windowsill and no blood thankfully!

Looking about in the street he sees the floor thirty or so feet down and people looking up at the commotion. The glass was broken inwards and thankfully didn't land on any shocked passersby...

Turning he leapt up and his fingers adhered to brickwork as he scaled to the roof like a spider and heard distant gasps from below!

"Look! He'll fall! Where's his rope? the man's lost his mind!" were some of the choice cries!

Two more floors he scaled until he reached the angled rooftop of the grand house and looks about. Aside from dancing chimney sweeps (OOC kidding!) he has a grand view over the Victorian London streets and can see... nothing.

Sucking in a deep breath of frustration he knows he is smart but no detective and it needs one to find out what happened here and more importantly where Penny has been taken!

OOC I'll update Haunt and see if I can tie up the two heroes together...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jun 22 2020, 21:20

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 11

Holmes considers, then shrugs. Peeling off his disguise he speaks up "I'll have Mrs Hudson prepare a room for the night. You shall stay as my guest during this whole affair if it suits you. I have been clearly marked as a target by these 'Advent' people and they possess supernatural abilities that mere mortals cannot counter. We will learn no more this night I fear. The day may bring more answers than the questions we dredge up by bumbling through the darkness. Besides, I could do with a stiff drink."

The pair return to 221B Baker Street and Mrs Hudson fusses over Holmes whilst LeStrade harrumphs as he stomps down the stairs. "One day your strange ways will catch you out Holmes, make no mistake!"

He looks at Nick Carter and pauses in his stride. "Well I'll be... I told my men to apprehend you as a suspect in Holmes' murder and here you are bold as brass! What is your role in all of this? Did my men disobey my orders? I'll have their guts for garters!"

Holmes smiled and clapped LeStrade on the shoulder "No need my dear fellow. Mr Carter is incredibly talented, more so than you can know! He has been in on my plans to track down the killer stalking the streets of London and helped finish off that creature we saw! I used my martial arts skills to tackle the creature and it granted a soft landing thankfully! Mr Carter here applied the correct method to banish it as I myself tried. You saw the syringe LeStrade?"

"I did Holmes, but what was that thing and why did it..."

"It was a creature we would not normally see in this time and place. All around the world are creatures and animals of which we know little or nothing! The world is a vast place and mysteries abound which we as rational thinking men are attracted to, thinking we can solve them. There are mysteries that we cannot solve and that man was not meant to know about."

He waited until Mrs Hudson left the room then turned to LeStrade. "I shall hold you in confidence because of your skill and influence in the Police service LeStrade. We are dealing with a plot and dangers the like of which has never been seen before! Only we three and possibly one other know of this and we have but scratched the surface of the dangers to come! I'll warrant that girls death was at the hands of this evil that rears its head and it is our job to lop that head off when it rears again!"

"But what shall my report say?"

"Mention nothing of the creature you saw! Think of the panic it would induce! Instead state it was an impostor who vanished into the depths of the Thames via the sewers and this a case closed. We have a more pressing case my dear fellow. A killer who stalks the streets and who will - without doubt - strike again! Think not of the case that is solved but rather the mystery yet to be solved! Something threatens Queen and Empire I'll warrant and we few are the only ones we can trust as it is clear our enemy is insidious and most skilled at impersonating others! Say nothing to anyone! Trust few if any! You have my trust LeStrade but be very very careful indeed my friend... once the enemy - whoever they are - know that YOU know of them you too will be a target!"

LeStrade's eyes widened and he looked about nervously.

"Now sir, I feel like the day has been overlong and require rest. I shall retire for the evening and you have my promise I shall continue to involve you in my investigations! Remember LeStrade... trust no one!"

Before LeStrade could argue further Watson ushers him out.

=========

"If I had not heard and seen it, I would not believe my eyes or ears!" said Watson. "Yet I cannot refute the clear evidence that my senses give me!" said Watson as Haunt changes from 'Watson' to Nick Carter instantly.

"Never seen the like." he said, shaking his head and going to bed.

"Watson shall be fine. I fear for the morning when more strange revelations shall surely arise!" said Holmes, clinking a whisky to carters own then retiring for the night.

=========

BANG! BANG! BANG!

Nick Carter woke and heard the door banging at ground level. Instantly up he met Watson in the hallway as he was tying up his dressing gown and wiping sleep from his eyes and the pair met Mrs Hudson and Holmes in the hallway of the house as a Police Officer stood there. "Mister 'Olmes! Inspector LeStrade begs your pardon fer not bein' ere in person but he's on route to a house where a crime - a kidnappin - 'as occurred in daylight only a few minutes hence! Eee said it sounded right up 'your street' whatever that means!

Holmes glanced at Carter and Watson. "Gentlemen. The game is afoot!" he declared and turned to sprint up the stairs to get dressed and be off to the scene of the crime!

=========

The house was a fabulous one, no doubt owned by the rich and privileged as the rest of the street was.

In modern day London these places fetched obscene prices, tens of millions and Haunt glanced up. A third story window was shattered and people looked up, muttering.

Holmes and Watson spoke to the Police officer at the door and Watson waved to Carter to follow them into the house. Through the hallway and into a reception room... and there being interviewed by a Policeman was none other than Steeplejack/Jack Gibb!

Holmes raised an eyebrow and stood aside, watching. Jack Gibb glanced up and saw three men - none of which he recognised... (OOC 'Nick Carter' won't be known to Steeplejack...)

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Jun 22 2020, 21:45

ave my trust LeStrade but be very very careful indeed my friend... once the enemy - whoever they are - know that YOU know of them you too will be a target!"

LeStrade's eyes widened and he looked about nervously.

"LeSttrade, I need that stone ... er ... Sherlock gave you," Nick Carter calls out. "It is needed to help in dealing with anymore such creatures as we found this night. The Yard won't know what to do with it, we will."

"Now sir, I feel like the day has been overlong and require rest. I shall retire for the evening and you have my promise I shall continue to involve you in my investigations! Remember LeStrade... trust no one!"

Before LeStrade could argue further Watson ushers him out.

=========

"If I had not heard and seen it, I would not believe my eyes or ears!" said Watson. "Yet I cannot refute the clear evidence that my senses give me!" said Watson as Haunt changes from 'Watson' to Nick Carter instantly.

"Never seen the like." he said, shaking his head and going to bed.

"Watson shall be fine. I fear for the morning when more strange revelations shall surely arise!" said Holmes, clinking a whisky to carters own then retiring for the night.

=========

BANG! BANG! BANG!

Nick Carter woke and heard the door banging at ground level. Instantly up he met Watson in the hallway as he was tying up his dressing gown and wiping sleep from his eyes and the pair met Mrs Hudson and Holmes in the hallway of the house as a Police Officer stood there. "Mister 'Olmes! Inspector LeStrade begs your pardon fer not bein' ere in person but he's on route to a house where a crime - a kidnappin - 'as occurred in daylight only a few minutes hence! Eee said it sounded right up 'your street' whatever that means!

Holmes glanced at Carter and Watson. "Gentlemen. The game is afoot!" he declared and turned to sprint up the stairs to get dressed and be off to the scene of the crime!

Nick smiled, to actually hear Sherlock Holmes HIMSELF say those famous words in his presence. He was such a fanboy! He was definitely going to get someone to make a Sherlock movie with him playing the role!

=========

The house was a fabulous one, no doubt owned by the rich and privileged as the rest of the street was.

In modern day London these places fetched obscene prices, tens of millions and Haunt glanced up. A third story window was shattered and people looked up, muttering.

Holmes and Watson spoke to the Police officer at the door and Watson waved to Carter to follow them into the house. Through the hallway and into a reception room... and there being interviewed by a Policeman was none other than Steeplejack/Jack Gibb!

Holmes raised an eyebrow and stood aside, watching. Jack Gibb glanced up and saw three men - none of which he recognized... (OOC 'Nick Carter' won't be known to Steeplejack...)

"Would this be the "usual suspect", Mr. Holmes," Nick Carter said dryly, looking over the man looking for any clues as to who and what he was.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jun 22 2020, 22:03

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 11 and STEEPLEJACK DIFFICULTY 3 HP 42

OOC LeStrade has handed the TIME STONE fragment to Nick carter. To him it looks like a piece of broken pebble.

Holmes gave a wry smile at Carter and turned to the man being interviewed. "If I may officer?" he asks of the Policeman questioning Jack Gibb. The Policeman shrugs and readies his notebook.

"Good morning!" said Holmes offering a hand to shake. "I am Sherlock Holmes. This is my friend Doctor Watson and this is Nick Carter, an American consulting Detective who is helping me on a case."

He waits for Jack Gibb to introduce himself and give an account of the morning's occurrences which match the butlers account. He raises an eyebrow at the Butlers account on the Policemans notepad (that was upside down to him) that "Mr Gibb climbed from the window much as an acrobat or spider would and onto the rooftop some two storeys up to pursue the kidnapper" and turns to Jack. "Tell me sir, in the advent of this kidnapping being some faceless type you'd never seen before, would you recommend we continue searching the rooftops and if so in your opinion will we need the services of a Steeple jack?"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jun 22 2020, 22:29

Admin wrote:HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 11 and STEEPLEJACK DIFFICULTY 3 HP 42

He waits for Jack Gibb to introduce himself and give an account of the morning's occurrences which match the butlers account. He raises an eyebrow at the Butlers account on the Policemans notepad (that was upside down to him) that "Mr Gibb climbed from the window much as an acrobat or spider would and onto the rooftop some two storeys up to pursue the kidnapper" and turns to Jack. "Tell me sir, in the advent of this kidnapping being some faceless type you'd never seen before, would you recommend we continue searching the rooftops and if so in your opinion will we need the services of a Steeple jack?"

Steeplejack tried to cover his shock but he had not been fast enough for the great Sherlock Holmes that much he could be sure of.
"Ah my anticks getting onto the roof, Miss Penny Harkness, the lady of the house, we were just returned from the north. The event threw us together you might say. Haunting business. He added slyly in case Haunt whom he knew had the ability to disguise himself in different forms might be here or even known to Holmes. Since words like Advent and Steeplejack clued him in, it seemed only relevant to do the same. He continued, "Miss Penelope has most unusual gift farsightedness she wondered if we might run into you Mr Holmes, and here we are, a lady kidnapped from the safety of her own home under our very noses and without a single clue save a bit of broken glass and no idea of who the scoundrel who took her did it, and in broad daylight. Its almost as if they had the power of flight or invisibility. I was up on the roof so as to catch sight if they were normal men, but no such sign stood out to me. What do you make of that Mr Holmes?

Steeplejack said a note of obvious irritation and frustration evident in his voice and he paced, angry with himself for feeling so impotent.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Jun 22 2020, 23:00

Nick Carter's eyebrows rose at the wordplay between the two men. Fishing out the piece of the time stone, he tossed it to the "reporter".

"Seen anything like this before," he asked.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next