The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack!

3 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! Empty The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack!

Post  Admin Tue Oct 27 2020, 11:33

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! Quest-for-the-holy-grail-greyscale

"Prince Dakkar has known many joys in his life. Few compare to seeing his brother again. You have his thanks and his aid as promised." said Rashid.

He stood a short distance off, mindful of the strong smell from both Haunt and Steeplejack given the time they spent in the sewers.

The heroes were tired but triumphant. They had thwarted the plan of not just kidnapping the innocent youngster but a deep rooted scheme to upset the balance of power across Europe and Asia.

"First though gentlemen, whilst we return to London you must shower, change, eat and rest as a guest of the Prince." said Rashid, smiling tightly with discomfort from the stink. Other aides moved about and tried not to pull faces.

=========

Travel on the Aetos was steady but smooth. The Airship generated steam which was released underneath the craft in a vast cloud thanks to careful routing and prevented anyone looking up from seeing the craft, obscured as it was by it's own portable cloud.

On a clear blue sunny day it would fool no one but thanks to generally dismal and grey weather it blended in nicely.

A carriage arrived back at 221B Baker Street and the pair stepped out, greeted by Sherlock Holmes and a very hung over looking Dr Watson.

Penny Harkness rushed out to hug first Gibb then Carter and stood back, grinning broadly from ear to ear.

Holmes spoke first. "We received a visitor during the night who suggested those who plan to travel as a guest of Prince Dakkar need to pack for a trip of a week or so. I deduced from that that you had not only survived but succeeded in the task set to you by the Prince. Such a man would rarely give over the service and resources of a vast operation such as his for free. I suspect that you have had ... quite a time... to win his trust and the services of his organisation. You can fill me in on the way. We have prepared for your return with a number of changes of clothing."

"Another thing. We have spoken at length. Spring Heeled Jack shall stay here with Penny Harkness in service to her Majesty the Queen. No evil supernatural forces shall threaten her majesty in Penny's proximity. The land... well, the land will have to struggle on until we return the grail." said Holmes. The bright morning sunshine bathed the street in a glow which Mina Harkness, stood in the shadow of the doorway, stayed well clear of.

"The American businessman, Mr Carter, had a change of heart and expressed an interest in joining us. He mentioned in a note that he has acquired an item that should help him replicate the conditions of a place close to his heart. An unusual message but he felt that you in particular Mr Carter would understand the message. Your namesake might be useful as an added gun but against the forces which are arrayed against us..." Holmes looked doubtful.

"What about...?" muttered Watson.

"Baron Alucard." said Holmes. "The name the Count shall travel under. He has expressed a desire to travel with us."

"A state of affairs I was most insistent on opposing!" harrumphed Watson who looked very hungover.

"Nonetheless, the enemy of my enemy may... I state may... be my friend. It appears he has a personal interest in ensuring that the Grail does not stay in the clutches of Moriarty or Fu Manchu. Plus I feel he has a strong attraction to Mrs Harker and will not willingly leave her side." said Holmes. "Thoughts Gentlemen, on who else you would desire to join us on our quest?"

OOC Thoughts indeed. This is not merely a race, but a chase. You could overtake the Grail... but to where? Moriarty is no fool. He will bide his time, wait, throw out false trails... speed is important but following the trail is more vital so that you do not pass the villain in the night and lose the race by simply losing his trail... Anybody else you intend to take with you? You may need to consult the previous issues for reference or take fictional figures from the Victorian era books, films and comic books as required.

So far you have:

Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson
John Carter (of Mars)
Mina Harkness and Baron Alucard (Vampires)
Steeplejack and Haunt (of course)

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack!

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Oct 27 2020, 12:50

Admin wrote:So far you have:

John Carter (of Mars)
Steeplejack and Haunt (of course)[/i][/color]

OOC: and away we go... Personally, I don't know of any other Victoria era peeps we'd want along, but Dave might.

Also, this is key:
Admin wrote:"speed is important but following the trail is more vital so that you do not pass the villain in the night and lose the race by simply losing his trail..."

Gibb found himself in the company of Penny Harkness glad for a few moments respite since once again it seems they were to be parted for who knew how long. He took the opportunity to fill her in on the details of their adventure, hearing her news as well as to what had occurred in their absence. A gnawing fear growled at the back of his mind and stirred emotions in the pit of his stomach. Unwittingly the charm, elegance and sheer beauty of Penny Harkness had done something to Gibb he had not felt for a long time. He felt he was falling in love...but to what end. He would have to return to his time, and she? Penny, surely would have to remain here? He dismissed the thought but he knew he must not lead her on anymore. He didn't want to be responsible for breaking her heart by having to string her along with false hopes he couldn't keep.

The rest of the time he listened in, becoming quieter as their time was once again rapidly disappearing, packing and getting ready for the quest to find the grail.

OOC:
This occurred to me the other day, about Penny, I can't stay here, but I sure don't want to willingly leave her...but, for now, I see no choice!

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack!

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Oct 27 2020, 15:06

OOC Thoughts indeed. This is not merely a race, but a chase. You could overtake the Grail... but to where? Moriarty is no fool. He will bide his time, wait, throw out false trails... speed is important but following the trail is more vital so that you do not pass the villain in the night and lose the race by simply losing his trail... Anybody else you intend to take with you? You may need to consult the previous issues for reference or take fictional figures from the Victorian era books, films and comic books as required.

So far you have:

John Carter (of Mars)

Well, there's always Prof. Thoth and his companion.  Rolling Eyes

Some of these characters actually had their first appearances after the 1890s or were first written early in the 20th century at the End of the Victorian Era.  But we are playing a bit loose with who showed up when.

Allan Quatermain. 

Could throw in Mr. Hyde but not a real fan of having a homicidal maniac with us. 

A bit early for Tarzan since it appears he was born in 1888 according to Tarzan of the Apes book but some Tarzan fans claim he was born in 1872. 

I'm blanking out on Fu Manchu's Englishman foe, but him too. 

Peter Pan? 

Invisible Man, also crazy?

A.J. Raffles.
Arsene Lupin, Master French thief, foe of Herlock Sholmes [originally it was Sherlock Holmes but a lawsuit was threatened and the name altered slightly.

Professor Challenger - Doyle's other famous character, first appeared in the Lost World novel.

Hugo Hercules
Paul Bunyon -

Paul Bunyan is a giant lumberjack and folk hero in American[2] and Canadian folklore.[3] His exploits revolve around the tall tales of his superhuman labors,[4][5] and he is customarily accompanied by Babe the Blue Ox. The character originated in the oral tradition of North American loggers,[2][4][5] and was later popularized by freelance writer William B. Laughead (1882–1958) in a 1916 promotional pamphlet for the Red River Lumber Company.[6] He has been the subject of various literary compositions, musical pieces, commercial works, and theatrical productions.[2] His likeness is displayed in several oversized statues across North America.[7][8]
Randolph Carter, of various works by H. P. Lovecraft, drawn from one of his first experiences with transcending reality through dreams (here supposed to be a distant relative of John).
Frankenstein's Monster

Around the World in Eighty Days (French: Le Tour du monde en quatre-vingts jours) is an adventure novel by the French writer Jules Verne, first published in French in 1872. In the story, Phileas Fogg of London and his newly employed French valet Passepartout attempt to circumnavigate the world in 80 days on a £20,000 wager (£2,242,900 in 2019)[3][4] set by his friends at the Reform Club. It is one of Verne's most acclaimed works
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Steeple_jackuk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Oct 29 2020, 11:25

OOC Good list. I have to go out (and will update more later/be up to date when I get home from work at midnight) but despite this being another of 'those' weeks fear not, I'm not going AWOL! Blummin car trouble this week... one car in for service/Mot and the other car (which is the backup - while I'm saving up for a house deposit I've put off getting a new car so run bangers about) sprang a leak yesterday. Talk about timing! Shocked

Anyway...

Prince Dakkar had sent a messenger who waited with infinite patience as the others gathered belongings and made ready for a trip across the world.

Watson proved to be the biggest delay and Holmes poured drinks for himself, Gibb, Carter and the princes' messenger who politely declined. "Mr Carter. The OTHER Mr Carter, has sent a message stating that the item he required will soon be in his grasp and he is honoured and privileged to join the quest. I must say Gentlemen, after what you have related as your exploits you have performed most admirably and it has highlighted the extent of the problem we face. ADVENT is as big a shadow that Moriarty and his cohorts cast over the world. Their interference cannot be overstated and we must beware. Their agenda cannot be ignored. If the grail will restore to life a great evil that threatens the lives and souls of everyone good and just, that is one thing. Another is ADVENT meddling with the events of what you regard as world history in order to change the future by casting a pebble into the pond and hoping the ripples turn into a wave in your time."

The aide of the Prince sat impassive, despite Holmes' words.

Penny Harkness entered with a smile and sat next to John Gibb, sharing a shy smile with him and accepting a glass of wine from Holmes. "My task, as Mr Holmes has instructed, will be simply to... stay near the Queen. In doing so it seems my peculiar abilities will protect both her and the City of London as a whole from these 'forces of darkness' we have increasingly been encountering. Spring Heeled jack will stay close both as protector and as a means of countering the poor man's unfortunate blood lusts."

"Someone you met at the party, a Dr Henry Jekyll, had some interesting theories and ideas but there is something ... amiss about the fellow which precludes me from inviting him. His expertise may have proven useful but that feeling I have cannot be shaken. There is a shadow over him, I feel."

Watson came bumbling in. "Well, I'm packed, and I packed extra for you Holmes. This clanging head of mine refuses to be shaken so you shall have to excuse me while I sleep it off in the carriage, ladies and Gentlemen."

Holmes smiled then it faded, becoming a frown. A moment later Mrs Hudson, the housekeeper, came in, flustered. Holmes stood and walked over. "My Dear Mrs Hudson, what can be the matter?" he asks.

She smiled but seemed shaken. "A message for you sir, from Scotland Yard, inspector LeStrade. He requests your aid immediately sir! There's been a murder it seems!"

OOC more later, have to get ready for work!

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Oct 29 2020, 12:54

Admin wrote:She smiled but seemed shaken. "A message for you sir, from Scotland Yard, inspector LeStrade. He requests your aid immediately sir! There's been a murder it seems!"

"Well that is about the worst timing possible!" Gibbs said with a raised eyebrow looking at Carter.

"I guess with the grail being removed further and further we can expect things to get worse before they get better? I wonder if this will end up delaying us and if indeed we can afford the delay. Moriarty has already got a big lead on us as it is!"

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Oct 29 2020, 13:49

Steeple_jackuk wrote:
Admin wrote:She smiled but seemed shaken. "A message for you sir, from Scotland Yard, inspector LeStrade. He requests your aid immediately sir! There's been a murder it seems!"

"Well that is about the worst timing possible!" Gibbs said with a raised eyebrow looking at Carter.

"I guess with the grail being removed further and further we can expect things to get worse before they get better?  I wonder if this will end up delaying us and if indeed we can afford the delay.  Moriarty has already got a big lead on us as it is!"

Sj

"Hurray up and Wait," "Nick Carter" says with a chuckle, "I here that is the unofficial motto of every army since the days of the Pharaohs."

ooc:  Oh, here is a way out there possibility of a character who could join us ... Dr. Clark Savage Sr.  Not the more famous son, Doc Savage of 180+ pulps novels, but the father.  He was an explorer and a doctor who provided medical aid to all folks he came across.  Or Doc's uncle Alex.

Clark Savage, Sr

Clark Savage, Sr was the father of Doc Savage in the novels published under the house name of Kenneth Robeson. He dies in the first book, The Man of Bronze.
The elder Savage became a widower shortly after his son's birth, and subsequently arranged for his son to be trained by teams of experts, from infancy, with a view to inculculating in the child near-superhuman strength and intelligence - notably, with little female contact.

Alex Savage

[th]First appearance[/th][th]Created by[/th]
Doc Savage Magazine vol 1, #5 (January 1934)
Lester Dent
Alex Savage is the uncle of Doc Savage.
In the novel, Brand of the Werewolf, Doc Savage learns that his uncle was murdered in the Canadian Northwest forest. Alex Savage is the father of Patricia Savage.

Clark Savage, Sr.

[th]First appearance[/th][th]Created by[/th]
Doc Savage Magazine vol 1, #1 (March 1933)
Lester Dent
"Captain" Clark Savage Sr. is the father of Doc Savage.
In the debut novel, The Man of Bronze, Doc Savage learns that his father was murdered in Central America.

scientist and adventurer Clark Savage, Sr.

His father Clark Savage Sr. was a great explorer and humanitarian known and renowned throughout the world.

Beyond that, nothing has really been published about him in the original run of the series.  Later novels from the 70s and 80s had him connected to Sherlock Holmes and Tarzan.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Oct 30 2020, 01:29

Holmes frowned. "LeStrade may have to solve this on his own. I fear that our more pressing task will be requiring our fullest attention with every passing moment." He shook his head, chin in hand. "I can go, offer my opinions then catch up if you require." he asked of Carter and Gibb.

Watson shrugged "I'll go with you Holmes, perhaps my medical knowledge will help. Plus, fresh air and anything to take my mind off this clanging headache will help."

Holmes pondered. "Whilst we are investigating this... " He turned to reach for a notepad on a table and wrote an address down. "There is a man, a remarkable man. Scientist, explorer, adventurer and more besides, Captain Clark Savage may be another useful addition to our crew. Persuade him to come along or at least get a list of contacts and aides in the countries he has visited. Knowledge is power, gentlemen! The more we have, the more we can counter the threat that Moriarty, Fu Manchu and ADVENT pose!"

He gathered his coat and hat and made to leave. "I shall be... no more than two hours. Return here in that time with or without Captain Savage and we shall then take Prince Dakkars' transport to the next stage of this quest!"

OOC I assume you both want to go see Captain Savage, or perhaps want to split up and help Holmes, or perhaps even do neither... ?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Oct 30 2020, 14:10

Nick Carter will go see Captain Savage.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Oct 30 2020, 17:29

DavidMcMahon wrote:Nick Carter will go see Captain Savage.

The heroes had got pretty good at 'reading' one another cues without having to say anything. And almost imperceptible both knew that they'd both go to see Savage. Although it wasn't necessary Gibb quipped, "I mean what can go wrong with a name like "Savage". Before adding a humourless laugh, for they both knew that with Advent creeping through time, they could well be after key people, not just key artefacts.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Oct 31 2020, 23:43

The address was an exclusive, expensive address in London.

The pair stepped from the carriage and knocked on the door of the address given. A Butler answered and opened the door to them. "Good day, can I help you?"

With a request to meet Captain Clark Savage and dropping the name of Sherlock Holmes the pair were led in. "Mr Holmes may not have told you." said the Butler. "But Mrs Savage is no longer with us, a tragic business. Captain Savage is in the process of arranging for his infant son to be raised and trained by experts in their field to make the boy the very best he can be. I would appreciate if you do not bring up the subject of his wife...."

Moments later a tall, powerfully built man probably in his thirties, entered. "Gentlemen. I gather you are friends of Sherlock Holmes? A most remarkable man and on my list of people to enlist in the education of my son. How can I help you?"

The room the pair were in was a trophy room, with the heads of various dangerous and powerful animals adorning the walls (OOC I guess it wasn't socially unacceptable back then to hunt animals) whilst the decorations and furniture suggested this was a man of some considerable means.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Nov 01 2020, 12:34

The Haunt introduces themselves in their new secret IDs but not sure how much to reveal to this man.

"We come to you to ask you to join us and a group of extraordinary men to help save the world," he says after going through the motions of polite chit-chat before getting down to brass tacks. "Sherlock Holmes is one of the men who have joined us and recommended you as a man of courage with a great deal of exploration experience as well as being a damn fine doctor who has set up clinics around the more primitive parts of the world."

"Prof. Moriarty and Dr. Fu Manchu have joined forces with other beings and have accomplished a daring robbery that can result in the destruction of the world. We are chasing after them to stop them. They have already fled England and are heading to the East to one of Dr. Fu Manchu's strongholds, there to unleash horrors as you cannot image. We leave in just a few hours and would like you to join us in going after them and stopping them. More details I have to keep silent on until you agree to join us. There are things that those who do not join us are better off not knowing. Are you interested and can you be ready to leave in just a few hours?"

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Nov 01 2020, 13:04

DavidMcMahon wrote:The Haunt introduces themselves in their new secret IDs but not sure how much to reveal to this man.

"We come to you to ask you to join us and a group of extraordinary men to help save the world," he says after going through the motions of polite chit-chat before getting down to brass tacks.  "Sherlock Holmes is one of the men who have joined us and recommended you as a man of courage with a great deal of exploration experience as well as being a damn fine doctor who has set up clinics around the more primitive parts of the world."

"Prof. Moriarty and Dr. Fu Manchu have joined forces with other beings and have accomplished a daring robbery that can result in the destruction of the world.  We are chasing after them to stop them.  They have already fled England and are heading to the East to one of Dr. Fu Manchu's strongholds, there to unleash horrors as you cannot image.  We leave in just a few hours and would like you to join us in going after them and stopping them.  More details I have to keep silent on until you agree to join us.  There are things that those who do not join us are better off not knowing.  Are you interested and can you be ready to leave in just a few hours?"

Gibb hung back glad to have Carter explain in a way he felt less able to do and happier to play back up to his lead.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Nov 03 2020, 10:01

Captain Savage seemed intrigued. "I have arranged for the care and education of my son, who is the most important thing in the world to me. However... it sounds if these forces you describe are not stopped then there may be nothing for my son to grow up into."

"Do you really think I can make a difference?" asked the Captain, lighting a pipe. Carter nodded the affirmative and the explorer pondered. "I will have the opportunity to test out some herbal mixtures that I picked up on my last trek to the deepest jungles of Borneo. Plants that no one had ever recorded my initial study suggests they will have some remarkable effects on the human body. I shall pack and leave instructions with regards the care of my son."

=========

Back at 221B Baker Street Holmes and Watson had returned, with someone else.

Dr Henry Jekyll looked shaken, shocked and trembled as Dr Watson handed him another drink. Holmes turned, eyebrow raised and walked to meet the heroes.

"There had been a murder and Dr Jekyll was found unconscious and in disarray at his home which had been broken into. An assistant of the Doctor had been found murdered, strangled though as if by some creature with enormous strength, far beyond that of a human being. LeStrade was concerned that the supernatural goings on had unleashed some new menace on this beleaguered city so I offered to take Dr Jekyll into my care, along with us."

Stepping away, out of earshot as Dr Watson chatted with Jekyll, Holmes whispered "I suspect there is more to Henry Jekylls' involvement than being a mere victim. Also if he IS a danger to those around him I would prefer the services of the worlds two greatest heroes to keep such a menace in check. There's also something else. Gentleman, might I ask the pair of you to accompany me to the rooftop terrace?"

With a glance at the quivering wreck that was Henry Jekyll the trio made their way up flights of stairs to (eventually) get to the rooftop terrace of the house.

There was a sound - even before the group got there - that sounded like an industrial kettle hissing! With a glance at each other they stepped through a door onto the rooftop...

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! Chuchua-N-Iron-Man

"Gentlemen, may I present to you Edward Anthony Starky, inventor, adventurer, philanthropist and..."

"Serial womaniser, Holmes?" laughed the man as he adjusted something on the suit of armour which hissed steam and clattered with every tiny movement.

"I was about to say flawed gem, but you can round off your own introduction Mr Stark." said Holmes.

"Oh please, my father is called Mr Starky, I'm Edward, or Eddie to my friends." he says, eyeing up Gibb and Carter. "I was intrigued with your proposition Holmes, especially the part where you suggested your group was 'remarkable and extraordinary in a way the world has never seen' yet I see before me... yes, the world's greatest detective, but who else?"

The man was suited up in steam powered/hydraulic equipment which seemed to enhance his movement with each twitch, accompanied by a tiny whiff of escaped steam. "This is just a 'light' suit, one to get around in." he said, and he leapt straight up... and up... and up... some fifty or more feet before landing in the same spot in a great hiss of steam as hydraulics took the strain!

"Hmmm, must adjust the rate of condensation." he said, tweaking and adjusting the pack on his back. "So Gentlemen, what do you bring to the party?"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Nov 03 2020, 12:45

Admin wrote:"Hmmm, must adjust the rate of condensation." he said, tweaking and adjusting the pack on his back. "So Gentlemen, what do you bring to the party?"

Turning to Carter, Gibb said, "The man want's a demonstration my friend, what shall we give him?"

OOC: I'll let Dave/Haunt play up his theatrics and use the opportunity to ascend a chimney and shape some brickwork or some such. My powers don't convey as much punch as does Haunt. Then I will suggest with the theatrics done, we make a move.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Nov 04 2020, 15:55

ooc:  hmmm ... let's have a bit of fun with this.

"What can we do, Eddie?  Let's see ..."  With that he whirls around in place quickly, allowing his cape to billow out of his borrowed suit, seems to produce a collapsible silk top hat from nowhere into his hands, "pops" it open and places it on his head.  Basically appearing to do slight of hand magic while actually just shapeshifting things around.

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! Shoppi10

"Watch carefully gentlemen," he says in stage magician patter, strutting around a bit in front of his audience "for the hand is always quicker than the eye.  Watch my hand, gentlemen, no the left hand, if you please."

He ruffles open his left sleeve, rotating his left hand.

"As you can see gentlemen, there is nothing up my sleeve, correct?  Ah HAH!  Watch and be amazed!  Alakazam!  Shazam! and POOF!"

ooc: he activates his Fog so that it starts to billow out of his pant legs, rising slowly to cover his body but not expanding outward, remaining at 0 APs around him while he does this last bit of patter.

At POOF!  His whole left arm seems to disappear as he drops his now totally empty sleeve, allowing it to lie empty at his side [obviously shape-shifting his arm into his body].  He even wiggles his body a bit to show that literally nothing is up his sleeve.  The fog then starts rising to his chest and he begins to whirl around and around in place, his cape fluttering and billowing out from his body from the centrifugal force.

"Pity I don't have a beautiful assistant to help me with this next trick but needs must," he says still whirling around as the fog finally engulfs him and his cloak.

"Presto!  Change-OH!" he calls out from the fog, allowing it to quickly disappear.  When the fog vanishes, in its place stand an exact double of Eddie Starky, outfit and all [using bits of Fog to resemble the steam coming out of his armor].

"DO you think the world is ready for two Eddie Starky's," he asks in Eddie's voice.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 05 2020, 20:37

Gaping Eddie Starky blinked, was about to say something, continued to gape then clapped!

"Very... theatrical!" said Starky. He smiled, stopped clapping and turned to Steeplejack who backflipped onto one hand, did a few one handed pressups then flipped again with a triple somersault with just one push from his hand!

Starky shook his head. "I would have said both of these people are 'impossible' if I had not seen it with my own eyes! Admittedly people will say what I do is impossible thanks to my gadgets but this? I see no wires, fellow..." he said to Steeplejack "but you dance about as if there is some puppet master making you lighter than air! This should be a MOST interesting journey!"

Still chuckling Starky shook his head. "I'll have my people pack the parts and gizmos I need. We'll meet at the address at the docks you mentioned Holmes and I hope this ship is as spacious as you say!"

Holmes smiled. "Indeed, your engineering skill and out of the box thinking might help tip the balance towards our favour. We shall leave promptly, don't miss the allotted time!"

Starky glanced at Carter and Gibb again, chuckled, then gave a nod before adjusting his water tank, boosting the steam to the max and with a Whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! a 'jet' gave a hiss of vapour in his wake as Starky 'leapt' into the air and when there folded a pair of canvas wings from his back to glide, occasionally with a spurt of steam indicating the jet was spinning up to grant more thrust.

Back in the house Watson approached, still nursing his head. "A note from Alexander Lucas. He regrets he cannot accompany us on our journey but will meet up en route." Watson frowned. "Well the man is talking hogwash as Prince Dakkar claimed to have a craft faster than any steam ship, so how would Lucas catch up?"

Carter and Gibb glanced at each other. Professor Thoth in this age was known as Alexander Lucas and his magical powers could effectively allow him to accomplish anything, albeit within reason which sounded odd when magic was involved. Still, the man knew what was at stake and his omission from the team must mean there were even bigger priorities that required his attention.

This then was their team...

John Carter (of Mars)
Captain Savage, father of 'Doc' Savage (an infant in this time) and scientist/adventurer/doctor
Edward Starky, steampunk inventor and genius
Dr Henry Jekyll, noted scientist/doctor/pioneer in the field of genetic tampering

Preparation continued, bags and boxes were packed and shipped with carriages turning up, loading then moving off and finally it was the teams' turn. Notable by their absences all day Dracula (Baron Alucard) and Mina Harkness finally came out of their respective rooms when the sun dipped behind the houses.

Dracula was remarkable well behaved and even humble. Saying little he glanced occasionally at Mina who scowled when she caught him looking and ignored him the rest of the time.

"What a motley crew we make." said Holmes. He stepped into his carriage with several of the others leaving Dracula and Mina with Steeplejack, Haunt and Henry Jekyll waiting for their carriage.

It pulled up and...

OOC AV10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 12,2,+0 Total:14 (24) vs
OV8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 6,5,+0 Total:11 (21)
+2 (to 12) vs RV8=4 RAPs.

Steeplejack gets a sense something is wrong but can't tell quite what (not a high enough roll)

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Nov 05 2020, 20:52

[quote="Admin"Steeplejack gets a sense something is wrong but can't tell quite what (not a high enough roll)[/i][/color][/quote]

Nodding to Haunt, to scout about, Gibb holds a hand up to the others and says, "Hang on a jiffy old friends, somethings not right!"

And with that Gibb moved toward the carriage the driver, looking around, under and over the carriage to make sure that their carefully laid plans hadn't in some way been infiltrated by Advent or an imposter from Moriarty's gang.

OOC: OK doing my best to eyeball things and letting danger sense guide me if it can, as well as taking precautions before moving forward.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Nov 05 2020, 21:09

Hearing the warning and trusting Steeplejack's instincts, Nick Carter motioned everyone away from the carriage, placing himself between them and the carriage, as he scanned the buildings looking for snipers while his friend examined the carriage.

'IF you find a bomb, let me know as quick as you can," he told his friend as he continued to scan their surroundings.  "I'll smother it."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Nov 08 2020, 20:26

With incredible instincts Steeplejack moved up to the carriage, looking about it as Carter turned to Dracula, Mina and Henry Jekyll and ushered them back.

"Nonsense!" said the Count. "There is no danger that..."

Steeplejack held up a hand and peered under the carriage... to where *something* was attached under the carriage. Something that looked like explosives! Dynamite!

He looked up at the carriage driver sat on the top... and saw... The man staring ahead, seemingly oblivious and uncaring as he smoked a pipe quite mechanically. Steeplejack looked... and followed what appeared to be a wire that dangled down the side of the carriage underneath to the Dynamite! It seemed that the carriage driver was to light the fuse when all were aboard and blow them all to smithereens!

Carter glanced about, seeing little that attracted his attention. Seeing Gibb concentrate on the underside of the carriage he took a look underneath and saw half a dozen sticks of dynamite set up to explode as one underneath the body of the carriage!

Someone was intent on killing the good guys before they got to Nemo's sub! What then, had they planned for Holmes and Watsons' carriage which had set off minutes before?!?!?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Nov 08 2020, 21:11

Admin wrote:Someone was intent on killing the good guys before they got to Nemo's sub! What then, had they planned for Holmes and Watsons' carriage which had set off minutes before?!?!?

"Carter, quick if our carriage was compromised the others might be also. I'll defuse this and then join you. Keep an eye out the enemy knows we are coming!"

And with that, he set about quickly to use his scientific mind and his nimble fingers to remove the devices detonator if he could!

OOC: OK I am hoping that we can still make use of the carriage to get the rest to the ship. But it may be that we don't bother and leave the carriage, the Vampires should be able to become bats, or given their supernatural strength, join me jumping over the rooftops to catch the others by their own unconventional means. And I could take Jekyll to catch up Carter with the other carriage if necessary. Alternatively, Dave suggested Carter just smoother the bomb and be on our way. That might be just as smart since we'd stick together, it is a question of what in this circumstance would be most expedient. In which case, my actions above might be adjusted accordingly.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Nov 08 2020, 21:38

"There might be a bomb on Holmes' carriage too," Nick Carter muttered to Steeplejack, "need to go check that out. Let's get the driver off while you do your thing then I will fly after Holmes."

Quickly checking to make that there was no kind of deadman's switch on the driver, something that w
ould activate the bomb if he was pulled from his seat.

ooc: Perception check of some kind I guess with Thief security systems as a bonus?
1. If there is some kind of deadman's switch spotted, warn Steeplejack and take off after Holmes.
2. If there isn't some kind of deadman's switch, pull the driver off the front seat of the carriage and toss him to the Count. "Hold onto him. It looks like his mind is being controlled somehow." Then take off after Holmes. Need to move quickly and need some decent field of view so turn into a large bird - albatross maybe since they are large and might be spotted in English waters and take off flying after Holmes.

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 09 2020, 11:15

Haunt moves up to the Drivers seat, taking a look...

OOC Perception check, most likely skill to help would be Military Science/Danger Recognition (most commonly used in war zones looking for booby traps and mines etc).

Int 8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 10,9,+0 Total:19 (27) vs
OV6 + Diff 3 + Roll(2d12)+0: 3,2,+0 Total:5 (11)
+6 (to 15 Will) vs RV6 + diff 3 (RV9)=6RAPs.

1) The man doesn't appear to be sat on anything other than the standard drivers seat...
2-3) There are no tell tale signs like wires or gadgets that have no place in victorian England!
4-6) There is no booby trap, instead the man appears to be oblivious, as if subject to some kind of hypnotic suggestion

Haunt whisks the Driver off and hands him to the care of the Vampires who glower at him. He looks on, impassive. "I am tasked with taking you to the docks." he mumbles. "And to light the string when we are underway. That is all. I shall be paid handsomely." he drones, probably unaware of what he is doing or where he is.

"Ensorcelled." states Count Dracula. "I have some experience with this. Someone - a master - has done this."

Haunt transforms into a bird and takes off, causing Mina and the Count to gaze upwards in surprise whilst Dr Jekyll stares open mouthed in astonishment! "Remarkable! Instantaneous metamorphosis! My theories... true! They called me mad!" he gasped.

Steeplejack called for them to get back and leaned under the carriage.

He was no bomb disposal expert. The dynamite, however, looked like it needed setting off with a joined fuse. Should be safe to simply peel off and toss into the sea, easily done for someone as strong as Steeplejack.

However...

OOC Danger Sense - difficulty now comes into play as its a specific thing that the timeline can now influence!

Danger Sense 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 6,5,+0 Total:11 (21) vs
OV8 + Diff 3 + Roll(2d12)+0: 7,8,+0 Total:15 (26) failed.

Steeplejack paused. Simply peeling off the dynamite from the bottom of the carriage seemed easy enough - no metal could long withstand a superhumans strength! However, that 'gut feeling' didn't give any clue - right or wrong - whether it was safe to simply remove it...

=========

Haunt took to the air.

The enemy was near pre cognitive, or had spies, eyes, everywhere! How else could they know about the preparations and hijack the mission before it had even set off!

All of this would slow them down if they could not set off today and he knew that the Grail needed to return before this land was overrun by the forces of mystical darkness!

More than that - the Grail could restore life to the dead and the evil dead were among that number. The world would be forever changed if the grail were to be taken to its ultimate destination. Haunt looked down, altering his eyes to create a pair of binocular type... oh no.

Even going towards the docks there were a number of carriages he could see from the air. Which was the right one! Time was running out!

=========

The carriage driver sat impassively whilst inside Holmes, Watson and Captain Savage discussed various matters.

Holmes looked out of the window. "Interesting." he said...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Nov 09 2020, 13:14

Admin wrote:
Steeplejack called for them to get back and leaned under the carriage.

He was no bomb disposal expert. The dynamite, however, looked like it needed setting off with a joined fuse. Should be safe to simply peel off and toss into the sea, easily done for someone as strong as Steeplejack.

However...

OOC Danger Sense - difficulty now comes into play as its a specific thing that the timeline can now influence!

Danger Sense 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 6,5,+0 Total:11 (21) vs
OV8 + Diff 3 + Roll(2d12)+0: 7,8,+0 Total:15 (26) failed.

Steeplejack paused. Simply peeling off the dynamite from the bottom of the carriage seemed easy enough - no metal could long withstand a superhumans strength! However, that 'gut feeling' didn't give any clue - right or wrong - whether it was safe to simply remove it...

Steeplejack long ago learned to rely on his mysterious other sense. Even the absence of it in a specific situation had heightened his own understanding and made it possible for him to have a good guess. It was unlikely that the dynamite, in this state would go off [ooc: I hope pale ] so decided without a lit fuse, there was no point wasting more time with it. Although he and the others could go over the rooftops, more than enough time had been wasted and more importantly, their enemy would have the opportunity to glean more from them.

So telling the others to get aboard, he grabbed the reigns and the coach driver and bid him move quickly and not spare the horses they had some catching up to do.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Nov 09 2020, 14:27

Haunt took to the air.

The enemy was near pre cognitive, or had spies, eyes, everywhere! How else could they know about the preparations and hijack the mission before it had even set off!

All of this would slow them down if they could not set off today and he knew that the Grail needed to return before this land was overrun by the forces of mystical darkness!

More than that - the Grail could restore life to the dead and the evil dead were among that number. The world would be forever changed if the grail were to be taken to its ultimate destination. Haunt looked down, altering his eyes to create a pair of binocular type... oh no.

Even going towards the docks there were a number of carriages he could see from the air. Which was the right one! Time was running out!

=========

The carriage driver sat impassively whilst inside Holmes, Watson and Captain Savage discussed various matters.

Holmes looked out of the window. "Interesting." he said...

Not wanting to totally give himself away to the populous of London, well, no more than he had already, The Haunt Bird swoops down lower towards the carriages and goes into Actor mode while flying over them.

"BOMB! Awk!  Blow!  Awk!  Out!  Awk!", cried the Haunt Bird over and over again.

He hoped that Holmes would hear him and figure out what he was saying while everyone else would look on and see a foreign nearly-man-sized bird doing some sort of weird cawing or calling.  They would comment on the strange bird and it might get a small piece in the newspapers but it wouldn't be commented as a superpowered man doing it.  Holmes should know how to get out of the situation if he understood the warning.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 09 2020, 16:07

Steeplejack took the reins and bid everyone to get aboard. It was a strange thing, knowing that the hooded and cloaked figures were Vampires and that their instincts to feed or commit evil were dulled or muted completely only because of that strange unconscious ability of Penny Harkness held it at bay.

Remarkable. More so that he considered many of the people in this era were fictional figures in his own time. by Travelling through time this era was a kind of 'mirror' with echoes of other realities. That was a strange, weird effect of time travel, except that the very real risk of events changing in the here and now changing Steeplejack and Haunts own time hung like a shadow over everything they did!

He set off for the dock, hoping that the explosion they'd averted would not be activated in some other way...

=========

The strange, huge bird flew over the streets, cawing out 'Bomb!' in a way that was loud and drew eyes upwards, along with pointing, stares, gasps and general fear or astonishment from people going about their lives!

In the carriage Captain Savage asked "What is interesting, Holmes?"

Haunt/big bird flew on, cawing out the warning to the carriages he flew over!

One turned right and headed towards the docks. Maybe that one was...

The NEW Vanguard TEAM UP! Haunt Issue #12 with special guest star Steeplejack! Kaboom

The carriage exploded!

=========

Steeplejack saw and heard the explosion and hoped that Haunt had gotten to the carriage in time!

He saw a spiral of smoke rise from behind buildings in the area of the docks!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next