The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK!

3 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK! - Page 6 Empty Re: THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK!

Post  Admin Sat Jun 27 2020, 11:38

STEEPLEJACK DIFFICULTY 3 HP 42

She ushered him in (OOC moroccan/eygptian rather than Asian actually rubbish GM. 13 Grosvenor Crescent is the address. Had to dig a bit. Some of the adventures last half a year or more... lots to dig through!) and offered tea while he sat down. "Thoth said he had business to attend to and that I was to 'keep watch'. There is a room in this house which would drive non mystics mad which can open windows in time and space to see events that have happened, are happening or will happen. I cannot stay in the place too long. It would drive a person mad."

"Vampires? Werewolves you say?" she frowned. "Such things exist but are often the subject of stories and dramas to keep the common man from learning of things which they were never meant to know. When they operate in the centre of the greatest city on Earth (OOC In Victorian times at least) word will get out and be harder to cast off as mere flights of fancy." she said, frowning.

She turned and looked at the shelves lining the walls with books. Thousands of titles.

Selecting one Steeplejack blinked. Had she just levitated to get it? He shouldn't be surprised given the circles he moved in. "Vampyres. Of their ways and history." she said, reading the binding.

"Most famous was the man Vlad Tepes, a man steeped in evil according to legend. Vlad the impaler. He was not the first but legends rose around him. Eastern Europe... gypsy people moving around to avoid the shadow of their dark lord falling on them... Master of his domain... Why would Vampyres appear here and now in  Victorian times? ADVENT have had a hand in this I warrant!" She frowned and thought for a moment. "In London and a few other places around the country are artefacts of great power. Under lock and key and protected by magical wards they are guarded by people who know nothing of their nature."

She looked at Steeplejack then made a decision. "What I am about to tell you is a national secret. During the Queens diamond jubilee celebration thieves tunnelled from Green Park into the vaults of Buckingham palace itself.  Thoth and I, and others who act as guardians, were absent at the time. The Thieves had chosen a moment in time where their theft would go unnoticed. Luck? Possibly, but magic is as much about planning as luck."

Steeplejack asked "What was stolen?"

"The Holy Grail." said Constanza (OOC or 'Codswallop' as Thoth calls her. She's not human, but wears human form) letting the word sink in.

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK! - Page 6 Hg

OOC taken from QUEEN VICTORIA AND THE HOLY GRAIL, a Golden Heroes adventure which partially inspired this Victoria time hop...

"The Queen is beside herself. Thoth was summoned in his current incarnation as Alexander Hollingsworth, archaeologist and adviser to the crown on matter historical. That was two days ago and his mentioned he was following up on a lead. I have not heard from him since. He did mention if anyone he'd never met before  turned up then I was to turn them into a frog, but I don't know that spell and I met you before, ten years or so when we were in America, so you get a pass. We may have met before then but I try not to think about time travel because it distracts me from holding my human form."

"I have neither been able to contact Thoth or scry him on a crystal ball so I am somewhat worried. He never mentioned where he was going or what lead he was following. He's foolish like that. Perhaps the Queen knows but unlike him I am not a member of OOP and do not have a magical sigil burned into my hand that the Knights Ascendant* - guardians of the Queens artefacts - would recognise. Getting in there with security so tight would be dangerous. I would not be surprised if Sherlock Holmes were asked to investigate. After OOP (OOC Order of Protectors) he would be the foremost detective even though Magic is not his forte. Perhaps he can find a clue where the OOP fail? Wouldn't that annoy Thoth!" she said, smiling before realising that her friend, mentor and lover was missing and frowning again.

"The significance is that the Holy Grail and other artefacts like that form a protective bubble over the land. Evil Magic is repulsed with a compulsion to depart that gets stronger the longer they are within the bubble or the nearer they are. It is how the monarchy have remained immune to magical assassination over the centuries. Not only does the theft mean that the realm is vulnerable but it also allows the existence of creatures thought mythical to once more walk among our streets. Werewolves? Vampyres? Worse is to come!"

"Harkness you said?" she added referring to Penny. "Drink your tea whilst I look up the name." she says as she wanders off down the row of books leaving Steeplejack to his thoughts..

"A long and varied history behind that name." she said. "With variations over the years as the family tree splintered. Agatha Harkness was said to be a witch several hundred years ago. The family still exists with distant cousins called Harkers. Harker. Hmmm." she fished in another book, taking more time, then muttered something over a page. "Jonathan Harker, a recent qualified solicitor from Exeter travelled to Transylvania recently." she said, eyes staring and milky white. "Strange that a distant relative of Penny Harkness should have visited the ancestral home of Vlad Tepes and that Penny should vanish afterwards." She blinked, eyes normal. "Did I... did I say anything of use? the sight is strange, and I am often not involved in its use."

OOC *Prof Wynde (David M's other character) is dealing with the Knights Ascendant, the sword Excalibur and the Lore Knights as well as being a member of OOP. I've tried to tie in a lot of that stuff with old modules and stories/legends/books/films and hopefully the mish mash will work!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK! - Page 6 Empty Re: THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK!

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Jun 27 2020, 15:01

"What do you make of that?" said Watson reading out the most relevant answers. "Someone has seen her but Hampstead Heath is a few miles from here. Long way to come just to visit someone specifically in Hospital. The patient... Mary Ann Nichols... was a street girl who lived not far away in a shared house for ... ladies of the night. Maybe some of them know how the old woman knows her. Or we can hire a carriage to ride out there and ask about, but the Gypsies don't like people poking into their business."

"We should do both," Nick decides, "the shared home is probably closest so we should go there. When you say shared home, you mean that's where they live, not where they also "work", correct?"

ooc: Okay, so Oliver is not all that familiar with speaking with ladies of the evening. I have heard it said that Watson on the other hand is quite at ease with talking to all sorts of ladies, probably due to him being a doctor and maybe used to speak to women of "female problems". Not sure if that was true or not though.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Jun 27 2020, 20:15

Admin wrote:"A long and varied history behind that name." she said. "With variations over the years as the family tree splintered. Agatha Harkness was said to be a witch several hundred years ago. The family still exists with distant cousins called Harkers. Harker. Hmmm." she fished in another book, taking more time, then muttered something over a page. "Jonathan Harker, a recent qualified solicitor from Exeter travelled to Transylvania recently." she said, eyes staring and milky white. "Strange that a distant relative of Penny Harkness should have visited the ancestral home of Vlad Tepes and that Penny should vanish afterwards." She blinked, eyes normal. "Did I... did I say anything of use? the sight is strange, and I am often not involved in its use."

Steeplejack nodded, "lots actually, but though I am not new to the whole business of trouncing sup...villains of one colourful sort or another, this whole thing with witches, the supernatural and what not is another. I'm not really a detective, most of the villains I catch basically flout the law because they arrogantly believe they are above it and I find them because they think themselves unassailable. This is more Haunt's/Nick Carter's realm, he's the detective. Does Harker have offices and properties listed here in London? Short of checking that out, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do. I could be chasing my own tail for all I know, and time is definitely against us with this one, especially as Penny has a...err...gift I guess you'd call it like yours for seeing things. Who knows what they'd do with her to make use of it for their own ends?

Steeplejack put down the cup, as he tried to get control of his temper. He didn't know why but it bothered him a lot that Penny was at the centre of this and that he had been responsible for involving her. Who knows, had she stayed up north, maybe none of this would have happened. He hated being the in dark and decided that when this was over, then spending time, if it were available to him learning from Holmes and Haunt/Carter, wouldn't be a bad use in learning something of their skill as a detective.

But that was then if there was a then to be yet able to use. With nothing better to do, and no ideas as to what to do, Steeplejack decided to take a look at the shelves himself, more out of ideal curiosity to see if there might be more on Harker or the name Nosferatu, which Penny had referred to.

OOC: Ok not sure where to go from here, as in fiction I love the idea of being a detective just as Sj I think in real life I'm rubbish at it! So looking for an address or lead to follow, or else go back to Holmes pad and wait I guess? If I do get a lead I'll send a telegram to Haunt/Carter at Holmes so he knows where I am heading.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jun 29 2020, 09:26

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 11

The pair catch a carriage to a multi storey building in a run down area.

"Nice." muttered Watson clutching a handkerchief to his mouth. Street children dash about and Nick carter is mindful that if he had a wallet it would be in danger of being lifted!

"Be off with you!" said Watson. He frowned then fished in a pocket for a hand full of change. "Here!"

He tossed it on the floor and children poured from the shadows like rats to a grain store as the pair of detectives moved to the house. Rapping on the door with his cane the door opened some and a weasel faced man sneered through the gap. "After a girl are ya? Costs extra 'ere! Better off in th' streets, they's all my girls round 'ere. 'Ey, you look... smell... like coppers! Be off wi' ya, there's nowt 'ere for ya!"

The door opens and a larger fellow comes into view. He looks like a bare knuckle boxer with broken nose and scarred knuckles, stained vest and holed trousers. Watson takes a step back. "Now listen here fellow, we're here to talk about Mary Ann Nichols. She was ... injured the other day and we're concerned for her welfare."

"What? She's been missin' an' she owes me takins!" snarled weasel face. "'Enry, lean on em an' find out what they know!"

The boxer/bouncer stalked forwards with a menacing look in his eye. Watson backed off "Now listen here my good man! There's no need..." then he was cut off as the boxer grabbed his lapels and pulled a fist back...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Jun 29 2020, 14:41

Haunt

The boxer/bouncer stalked forwards with a menacing look in his eye. Watson backed off "Now listen here my good man! There's no need..." then he was cut off as the boxer grabbed his lapels and pulled a fist back...

Nick Carter reaches over and grabs the man's wrist that is holding Watson and then begins to squeeze.

ooc: The Haunt is expecting boxing guy to take a swing at him with his cocked fist since he isn't squeezing too hard, yet, when he does this he plans not to dodge but let the blow hit him and then smile at the big guy.

"Now, Now my good fellow, no need for violence, is there," he asks in a jovial tone as he squeezes some more and more until the man lets go of Watson.

"That's a good fellow," after he lets go and he lets go of the man as well. "All we wish is some answers about poor Mary Ann Nichols. Does she or anyone else here know something an old gypsy woman? Such a person was seen with Miss Nichols after the girl left the hospital. We seek information about her. And from your actions, I'm guessing that they did not come back here."

ooc: so questions about the gypsy woman and anyone who might know of her and then I guess, unless something big gets learned, back on the trail to the gypsy camp.

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jun 29 2020, 22:43

OOC Apologies for not updating this morning. Ran out of time and had another long work shift, something I've not been used to for a long time!

Don't worry about not having Detective. Steepplejack is a smart guy (Genius level in fact) so there will be hints/choices dropped rather than relying on you trying to pick the bones from a mass of hints. I've played in games before where quite literally it feels like you're in a maze and hitting a dead end with every turn and it is frustrating, so I do try and other ways out.

Constanza shrugged. "Holmes and Carter may have the advantage when it comes to deduction but you have many qualities of your own that you can bring to bear."

"I would... perhaps, find out what Harker knows. He works for a for a Solicitor called Peter Hawkins." she said then flicked through another book.

"Is that some tome on magic, the supernatural?" Steeplejack asked.

"It's a business directory listing companies in England." explained Constanza.

"Here. An address. You may be able to speak to Harker and see what Pennys much removed cousin was doing in Eastern Europe. It may be something or nothing but it does seem strange that a distant blood relative be kidnapped and this man has returned recently from a place steeped in the lore of the supernatural. Exeter is hours away." she said. "Here." she fished in a drawer to rustle about and come out with a stone on a chain. She muttered something too quiet to hear and it started to sparkle. "Step through that door..." she said referring to the one Steeplejack had come through "and you should appear ... in Exeter Cathedral. An ancient and on a very thin ley line which I can just about attune to. Harker lives in Exeter." she said, referring to the address. "When you are ready to come back clutch the pendant and think of this room then step through any door."

=========

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK! - Page 6 Exeter-Cathedral-NW-view-W-Deeble-after-R-Browne-1830

"Oh my!" said the Priest when Steeplejack stepped from a store room. "Wrong turn." explained Jack Gibb.

The Priest nodded with a raised eyebrow and peered into the broom cupboard.

Half an hour later he was walking down a leafy street and arrived at the address for the Solicitor. Enquiring for Jonathan Harker drew a blank and jack had to come up with a story about delivering grave news from a relative in order to get a secretary to hand over his home address. It appeared he'd been ill when he returned from his business trip to transylvania and had been off work some time she'd confided. "Wish him well, he's such a fine young man and his fiance Mina Murray was most worried about his welfare when he was away."

Gibb made his way across Exeter. It was a tidy house, not huge and certainly not the house of someone with a lot of money. A knock on the door gave no answer. Looking up and about he noted that every window in the place had curtains drawn over it. A glance about. People walking down the street, a cyclist drifting by, in the distance a horse and cart being led by a rag and bone man. Pretty quiet.

He turned back to the house and started as a cat hissed at him and sped off.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jun 29 2020, 23:02

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 11

The boxer/goon gasped in pain and took a swing at Carter who didn't bother to dodge. CRACK! He squeaked as he broke a couple of fingers on Haunts chin and sagged to his knees until Carter let him go.

The pimp snarled then backed off as carter turned to speak with him.

"She 'ant been back. We 'eard she was dead an' nobody offs my girls cept me." said the weasel face. "I mean, no one 'as words wi' my girls, see? We look after 'em."

He licked his lips nervously. "If ya find 'er tell 'er to get 'er arse back 'ere! Dunno nowt 'bout gypsies. None round ere. Some on 'ampstead 'eath usually. Lock yer doors up or you'll find th' family silver missin' if ya knows what I mean?"

Watson scowled. "We'll get nothing from this sorry excuse for a man. At least we know she hasn't come back here which would have been an obvious choice."

==========

An hour later the pair were walking away from a carriage and onto Hampstead Heath.

It didn't take long to find a gypsy camp. The overcast day, cool and with low cloud, gave a mist that rolled between the hills on the Heath.

"These places are always creepy." muttered Watson. "Let's ask about and get out of here..."

Suddenly dark shapes started to come out of the mist... man shaped, but several of them...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Jun 29 2020, 23:49

An hour later the pair were walking away from a carriage and onto Hampstead Heath.

It didn't take long to find a gypsy camp. The overcast day, cool and with low cloud, gave a mist that rolled between the hills on the Heath.

"These places are always creepy." muttered Watson. "Let's ask about and get out of here..."

Suddenly dark shapes started to come out of the mist... man shaped, but several of them...

Playing it cool and friendly.

"Hello there, my name is Nick Carter and this is my friend, Dr. John Watson. We are looking for a girl who wandered away from the hospital and was seen coming this way. Can you help us?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jun 30 2020, 16:02

Admin wrote:STEEPLEJACK DIFFICULTY 3 HP 42

Gibb made his way across Exeter. It was a tidy house, not huge and certainly not the house of someone with a lot of money. A knock on the door gave no answer. Looking up and about he noted that every window in the place had curtains drawn over it. A glance about. People walking down the street, a cyclist drifting by, in the distance a horse and cart being led by a rag and bone man. Pretty quiet.

He turned back to the house and started as a cat hissed at him and sped off.

OOC: Exeter just down the road from me...

Steeplejack figured breaking and entry wasn't his desired approach, but since a knock at the door, hadn't yielded any answers and he hadn't come this far to be turned back, he would see if the back yielded any clues.

OOC: OK I can see it's going to be a break in job, but if I can't do this in the day time, I'll come back at twilight to see if I can get in the back. If I can do it in day time, then, I will do so. Checking to see if there are any open windows, unlocked doors or a coal cellar or other entrance to take advantage of in some way.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 30 2020, 20:22

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 11

Three beefy looking gypsies strode forwards. "You ain't welcome 'ere." said one. "We don't claim nowt, but when we stay a place it's our fer the while an' you need to know we don't like unwelcome guests." said the next, a towering six footer with a neck like a tree trunk.

The third, with a scarred face adds "We don't know no girl an' no 'ospital. Time to go fellas." he said whilst patting a length of wood into the palm of his hand.

"Now look here!" said Watson. "This is common land and..." he looked up as the big fellow took a step forward and suddenly Watson was talking to the mid point of a burly chest!

The other two spread out. "Time to go fellows. Now." said Scar Face.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jun 30 2020, 20:31

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 11

"Watson, stand back," Nick Carter tells the man.  "Let me handle this."

He turns to the three.

"Gentlemen, I would like to resolve this peacefully and get the information I need, so what say to a little contest?  You each get one free attack on me.  You can choose to punch me or kick me or even hit me with that little stick of wood.  If I do not go down, then my friend and I get to enter your caravan and ask our questions.  If I do go down, Watson here will take my body, dead or alive, away from here and we will not bother you again.  Oh, I do recommend that you do not punch me barefisted, you could break the bones in your hand that way. Maybe a sap or blackjack? I'm not sure what you call it around here. Or brass knuckles. Those would be fine too. One attack from each of you.  More than one attack means I get to hit you back.  Fair enough? "

ooc: Nothing like good ole fashion non-violent violence! And now I find out that all big gypsy men have superstrength! Sleep
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 30 2020, 20:35

Walking round the back of the terraced houses and down an alleyway Gibb glanced about then hopped over the back gate into the garden and kept looking about. Back door locked. Curtains pulled close this side too. A second storey window looked inviting but also locked like the others.

No problem. Steeplejack was pretty much the best Thief on the planet in this era and possibly any other!

OOC Dex 13 + 5D from Thief? Heh. + Roll(7d12)+0: 9,5,3,5,7,8,10,+0 Total:10 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 11,8,+0 Total:29 (42) vs
OV2 + No tools +2 + Roll(2d12)+0: 7,5,+0 Total:12 (16). +7 (to 20) vs RV4=16 RAPs. Success.

Scaling the wall like a spider Steeplejack stuck a finger to the window, wiggled it a bit and the handle flicked up. Then he reached down and opened the larger window and swept the curtains aside to enter the room. It was darkness inside, and messy in this box bedroom.

There was a smell too somewhere on this floor.

A smell of death.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 30 2020, 20:56

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 11

Scar Face was incredulous! "Ah ye mad, man? Fergus is the bare knuckle champeen o the five villages! None better! As fer me..." he swung the wood into Carters face and SNAP!

The wood shattered and he dropped the remains whilst shaking his hand. "It's not... It's not possible!" he muttered as Carter hadn't even flinched.

OOC I'm not even going to roll. Even if Carter lets then hit him AND with the difficulty we're talking about EV4-5 trying to overcome 14, effectively 1000 times more durable. Not rolling.

The big man delivered left/right left then groaned and sagged back, shaking both his hands. Angry, he stepped in, grabbed Carter and delivered a jarring headbutt! Well, that was that.

The big fellow collapsed instantly unconscious and the third man glanced at both of his companions and frowned. "Ah, I think i'll hold off fer now. You win weird fella. Never seen Fergus fail ta put a man down an that trick wi the wood... t'aint natural. Like what appened wi the girl."

Watson raised an eyebrow.

"Aye, there were a girl but we don't give up no one fer nuthin an never to coppers. You a copper?"

Watson shook his head and said "Neither is he. We want to make sure she's alright."

"Depends on yer definition of alright." said the man, helping drag Fergus to his groggy feet.

=========

They walked into the camp, wreathed in mist. A circle of wagons drawn up to each other with the horses in the middle.

Watson tapped Carter on the arm and pointed to women knelt pulling up what looked to be heather.

"Wolfsbane." said an old Gypsy woman as she walked up to the group.

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK! - Page 6 Maleva

"What do you know of legends, myths and the like?" asked the old woman with an accented voice. "Have you heard...
Even a man who is pure in heart, and says his prayers by night;
May become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."

Watson scoffed "Nonsense! Superstition, mumbo jumbo and hokum!"

The gypsy woman was impassive and turned to Carter. "And you? What say ... you?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jun 30 2020, 21:27

HAUNT

"What do you know of legends, myths and the like?" asked the old woman with an accented voice. "Have you heard...
Even a man who is pure in heart, and says his prayers by night;
May become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."

Watson scoffed "Nonsense! Superstition, mumbo jumbo and hokum!"

The gypsy woman was impassive and turned to Carter. "And you? What say ... you?"

"Some years back, I would have scoffed," Nick Carter replies, "but now? I very much believe! Though I've never heard that saying. I thought one became a werewolf if one survived being bitten by one. Also, that wolfsbane is just that, a bane to werewolves, driving them away from those who have it on their person, had something to do with smell or the like."

"And the girl we seek, is she here? It appeared to me that she might have been attacked by such a werewolf but then might have bled to death. Yet, she got up and left the hospital, in your care, I presume?"

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 30 2020, 22:32

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 11

The Gypsy woman narrowed her eyes. "I have the girl. When the moon is full later on tonight she will change!"

Watson gasped. "Why... that's kidnapping! You crone! I ought to..."

One of the gypsy fighters stood behind Watson started forwards but the woman waved him back. "The girl was dying! YOU saved her life with the blood transfusion but her blood was already tainted with the blood of the were!"

"Were?" scoffed Watson. "You don't know what you're talking ab..."

The Gypsy woman moved forward. "An evil moon is in the sky. Lycanthropes... Vampyr... and something worse. Something..." she sniffed the air then looked at Nick Carter. "Something that should not be here in this place. Something..." she wrestled with the word "Alien."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jun 30 2020, 23:27

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 11

The Gypsy woman narrowed her eyes. "I have the girl. When the moon is full later on tonight she will change!"

Watson gasped. "Why... that's kidnapping! You crone! I ought to..."

One of the gypsy fighters stood behind Watson started forwards but the woman waved him back. "The girl was dying! YOU saved her life with the blood transfusion but her blood was already tainted with the blood of the were!"

"Were?" scoffed Watson. "You don't know what you're talking ab..."

The Gypsy woman moved forward. "An evil moon is in the sky. Lycanthropes... Vampyr... and something worse. Something..." she sniffed the air then looked at Nick Carter. "Something that should not be here in this place. Something..." she wrestled with the word "Alien."

"Yes, and we are here to stop it," Nick replies, "wherever it is.  If you have any clues as to where they hide, I would appreciate it."  

"Is there anything we can do for this woman?  Any way to save her?  Or does her salvation lie in dying before the change comes on her?"  

"We are also looking for another woman who was kidnapped from her home by something powerful.  Do you have any information on that?"

He will give a quick summary of what happened at the home where he met up with Steeplejack with regards to the kidnapping but leaving out information he feels she doesn't need to know.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Jul 01 2020, 08:55

A smell of death.

Sadly that stinging note in the air, that pungently reeked into everything wasn't something unfamiliar to Steeplejack.  His mind flitted back to a dozen cases where he'd found and seen death in one form or another.  But that didn't mean what it had then.  Those who'd died might have been murdered in two cases at least and or committed suicide, or just died from the disaster he was involved in at the time.  But this was about unlife, life that was a pale copy of what it should be, therefore, he had his defences up as he moved silently as he could from room to room looking for clues, evidence or signs of the occupant of the home.  

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jul 01 2020, 22:27

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 11

The Gypsy woman shrugs. "I know nothing of the other woman of which you speak. Something powerful... there are forces in play which are ancient, and evil. A great power which protected the land has been taken and the Queen grieves. HIS friend knows... or will know..." she said to Watson.

Watson gaped. "What? Holmes was asked to go see LeStrade. What has happened? Tell me woman!"

"As I said, a power has been taken from its rightful place. The cup." said the Gypsy. "The scrying is often vague but I saw the cup which keeps the land safe from the cloak of darkness that threatens to settle over it was stolen."

"Cup? What are you blathering about? Carter we're wasting our time here. Let's take the girl with us and go. ANd mind, I have a gun, so no funny..."

Click! CLICK! CLick! Click!

Watson looked around and saw a dozen Gypsies with guns drawn and pointing at him!

"Go see your friend. Leave the girl to me. Your gun would not harm her. She is beyond harm by mortal weapons." said the Old Gypsy.

Watson scowled. "You don't scare me! Where's the girl? I would see her!"

The Gypsy woman shrugged and turned, the men reluctantly holstering weapons. She walked to the back of a wagon and pulled a rug away. Watson gasped!

There in the wagon behind bars was Mary Ann Nichols! She was naked, but... hairy! With wild head hair, hairy arms and legs and swirling hair all over her back as she crouched and hissed like an animal, with teeth bared... and such teeth! Like fangs!

"What in the world..." spluttered Watson, staggering back.

"She is not of this world now. She is between worlds. A creature of supernatural power and origin, infected by another like her! By day she could walk among people unsuspecting of her true nature. By night she is a ravening beast, and when the moon is full, her power increases! Her instincts are honed, sharpened, and her prey? Mankind. I have used certain ... ways... to draw the beast out and over time I will separate the wolf from the woman... Until that time she must be locked away for her safety and for others!" hissed the Gypsy Woman.

Watson was aghast. "That poor woman! To be attacked and now this? Carter! Do something! We cannot leave her in the hands of these... these pagans!" He was reaching for his revolver again...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jul 01 2020, 22:37

Gibb moved from the room. Every window had a curtain drawn over it and he batted flies away. On the landing he saw several doors, including some ajar. So far his danger sense had not alerted him of everything but his other senses told of something awful in this house.

Moving to a door he pushed it open to see... and was assaulted by a cloud of flies! The smell! Arggh!

Inside he saw bodies. Several bodies, piled haphazardly about. They were pale, white even, and over their limbs, indeed their whole body were puncture marks. Two together as if from fangs. Men and women, they were scattered around the room as if discarded. The room itself was a pit, with rotted furniture, a plate with mouldy food and several rats eating at it and these poor peoples clothing strewn about.

Covering his nose he turned to leave then heard something that chilled him... "K... k... kill me!" hissed a hoarse voice! He turned and saw a man, emaciated to the point of death. He hadn't the strength to move and in truth was at the point of death which would be a mercy at this point!

Suddenly there was a noise downstairs! A door or trapdoor opening! Someone... some... thing... was coming up the stairs!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jul 02 2020, 00:54

Haunt dif 3 hp11

There in the wagon behind bars was Mary Ann Nichols! She was naked, but... hairy! With wild head hair, hairy arms and legs and swirling hair all over her back as she crouched and hissed like an animal, with teeth bared... and such teeth! Like fangs!

"What in the world..." spluttered Watson, staggering back.

"She is not of this world now. She is between worlds. A creature of supernatural power and origin, infected by another like her! By day she could walk among people unsuspecting of her true nature. By night she is a ravening beast, and when the moon is full, her power increases! Her instincts are honed, sharpened, and her prey? Mankind. I have used certain ... ways... to draw the beast out and over time I will separate the wolf from the woman... Until that time she must be locked away for her safety and for others!" hissed the Gypsy Woman.

Watson was aghast. "That poor woman! To be attacked and now this? Carter! Do something! We cannot leave her in the hands of these... these pagans!" He was reaching for his revolver again...

Nick places his hand on Watson's arm and holds it in place gently.

"What would you have me do, Watson? I cannot cure lycanthropy. The only thing I can do is kill her. I try to limit my killing to those I absolutely cannot stop any other way. This is magic, Watson, one of many forms of magic. Not all magic is pretty colored lights, levitating beautiful women on a stage or beautiful angels with wings and flaming swords. While I know of magic, I am not magical myself, I am a product of science, I have no idea how to save this woman."

He removes his hand from Watson's arm.

"I can't save her. You can't save her. Sherlock Holmes can't save her. Can you honestly tell me that you know a scientific or medical way to save her?"

He waits for Watson's response.

"But did you not hear the old gypsy woman, they are trying to save her to somehow pulling the werewolf curse out of the woman, freeing her from it. I do not know how they are doing this and I know not a single person here in this day and age that could help."
He doesn't mention Thoth but keeps him in the back of his mind as to someone who might be able to help her. Then he turns to the gypsy woman.

"Is this wagon and it's bars strong enough? Can it hold her? For her to get free and spread the curse would be a greater danger to all. So tell me now, will it hold or do you need something else that we could provide to make it stronger, make it safer?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jul 02 2020, 08:26

Suddenly there was a noise downstairs! A door or trapdoor opening! Someone... some... thing... was coming up the stairs!

All sense of pretence seemed to be worthless. Although Steeplejack felt the prickle of something unnatural, he looked for a makeshift stake and leapt straight into the fray. He shouted before him, "Harkness, I want to talk to you!"

OOC: OK ready to go pin me a Vampire...jumping straight in, not going to play cat n mouse with this fella.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jul 02 2020, 10:18

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 11#

The Gypsy woman looked at Carter and stepped up, placing a gentle hand on his cheek.

His scarred cheek. "I see you, man of clay. Of putty. You are scarred, and hide tragedy within but you are strong. Stronger than anyone in this world. In this thing you are right. We will try what we can. The bars were created with silver melted in their mix. The wagon has silver studs dotted through it. Silver is painful to the lycanthrope. We have not enough to ensure she is safely incarcerated so must rely on prayers. If we can draw the beast out and split the thing from the woman, then her soul might be saved."

Watson was beside himself. "This is mumbo jumbo! She needs help! Beast? Lycanthrope? You can't believe all of this..."

The Gypsy woman turned to Watson. "This is the way it must be. We will try to cure this woman but there will be more deaths. I have seen things. Names. Other women. Annie Chapman. Elizabeth Stride. I do not know these people but they are linked to this poor woman. The thing that struck against her will strike again. He will spread his taint. The chalice protecting the land from such... darkness... has been taken from its rightful place and the Queen is bereft."

"She speaks in riddles! Who are these other women?"

OOC Int 8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 9,12,+0 Total:21 (29) vs
OV6 + Diff 3 + Roll(2d12)+0: 5,2,+0 Total:7 (16) +5 (to 13) vs RV9=4 RAPs

1) Mary Ann Nichols was the first victim of Jack the Ripper. PLEASE NOTE! We are about 8-9 years on from the actual date of the ladies murder! Our version of Jack the Ripper in our gaming universe is on a different timeline from many real world events.
2-3) Annie Chapman & Elizabeth Stride were also victims of Jack the Ripper, all in the East End of London and not far from the attack on Mary Ann Nichols.
4-6) Catherine Eddowes, and Mary Jane Kelly make up the 'Canonical Five' but many more are rumoured to have been victims of Jack the Ripper whose identity was never discovered and the killer never caught. Theories vary but the particular way in which the ladies were murdered suggests someone with extensive medical knowledge. Again, this is our version and Jack the Ripper is a Lycanthrope.

Haunt blinked and looked at the woman in the cage. She was snarling, hissing, but kept away from the bars and cried out if she touched certain places on the walls of the cage.

Other women would fall prey to the creature which had attacked, nearly killed and certainly infected this woman! They might not be so lucky as to have Dr Watson save their lives. He knew names. That suggested he could - in theory - find a place to wait and pounce on the creature before it struck again!

Mary Ann Nichols was destined to die at the hands of Jack the Ripper. She'd been saved - though the beast in the cage barely merited the word. Could Haunt save any of the others? And what was that about the Cup/Chalice that the Gypsy woman danced around? It seemed Holmes knew...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jul 02 2020, 10:37

OOC Strictly speaking it's Harker... Jonathan Harker...

Steeplejack turned, grabbing a rung of the Bannister and stripping it with a light pull, snapping it in half and getting himself two sharpened stakes!

He heard something... a hissing sound from below!

Moving around to the stairs he looked down. Right at the bottom (two floors down) was a woman in a dirty, stained and torn dress! Her hair was all over the place and dark sludge was coated around her face and hands. Not sludge. Blood, dried blood.

"Jonathan..." she called out. "Dinner has arrived!"

"Coming, Mina!" shouted another distant voice. "Just finishing off... CRUNCH! Breakfast..."

The woman smiled and hissed... then she changed, eyes becoming bloodshot and fangs - long like a bats - thrust out, her nails extending and she started up the stairs!

OOC Steeplejack wins initiative.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jul 02 2020, 11:58

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 11#

Other women would fall prey to the creature which had attacked, nearly killed and certainly infected this woman! They might not be so lucky as to have Dr Watson save their lives. He knew names. That suggested he could - in theory - find a place to wait and pounce on the creature before it struck again!

Mary Ann Nichols was destined to die at the hands of Jack the Ripper. She'd been saved - though the beast in the cage barely merited the word. Could Haunt save any of the others? And what was that about the Cup/Chalice that the Gypsy woman danced around? It seemed Holmes knew...

"Nutzburger!  We are dealing with Jack the Ripper," the Haunt/Nick Carter says, pulling back in shock.  "Watson, we don't have time for you to believe or disbelieve.  We had better get back and speak to Holmes"

He turns to the gypsy woman, "I possibly know of someone who might be able to help this woman but haven't found him yet.  If I can find him and he decides to come, he will come.  If not, not."

"Let's go, Watson, back to Baker St."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jul 02 2020, 13:41

Admin wrote:OOC Strictly speaking it's Harker... Jonathan Harker...

The woman smiled and hissed... then she changed, eyes becoming bloodshot and fangs - long like a bats - thrust out, her nails extending and she started up the stairs!

OOC Steeplejack wins initiative.

OOC: Opps my bad or the Harker Harkness thing.

Steeplejack dove down at the woman, wondering who she was and if it was Harker below who had replied. Either way, he wanted answers and he came with a stake to pin them on.

OOC: OK using martial arts and strength combined against this thing, and the usual split of attack and def, with Dev attack as my lead in

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next