The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK!

3 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK! - Page 2 Empty Re: THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK!

Post  Admin Fri May 29 2020, 13:58

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 17

Holmes raises an eyebrow. "You are well read sir. Quoting something I was about to say myself indicates I may either need new things to say or indeed it remains the only plausible explanation. One could also suggest that the would be killer has *tried* to make it look like the attack of an animal."

"If so they have been remarkably thorough. Indeed, were I to gather several of those stray strands of hair I firmly believe they would be of a dog or indeed of a wolf. I have heard legends, folk tales, stories, myths... Much of them can be ignored. However..." he looks about and sees the woman being carted away on a stretcher to a waiting horse drawn ambulance. "I'm with the woman, Holmes, I shall see you later!" declared the good doctor.

LeStrade came over and Holmes glanced at 'Nick Carter'. "Your thoughts, Holmes on the crime scene and of this fellow." he said referring to Carter/Haunt.

Again Holmes raised an eyebrow and glanced at Carter before turning to Lestrade. "Inspector I believe this crime will confound and puzzle us both. The attack pattern and the manner of a wound suggest we are looking for an animal. I would suggest you make all haste to double check all circus animals in this area are accounted for."

"By what do you mean Holmes? Are we looking for a Tiger, Lion or Bear?" he laughed, though without much humour.

"As of this moment I cannot say but we may be searching for a man - or woman - who so believes they are connected to the animal kingdom they become alike in mannerisms and animal behaviour. That includes dressing up as a beast and using of their skin to resemble the beast."

"Sounds like we need to also check for escaped lunatics from the asylums. I'll send officers round."

Holmes smiled tightly. "You do that. I shall examine a stray hair or two to determine better what kind of animal the ... lunatic... is impersonating. I shall advise you of all my findings. As for Mr Carter, I believe his expertise and knowledge on local American customs and criminology may be of help. I shall arrange a room for him at a hotel close to my own residence at 221B Baker Street and will personally vouch for him whilst he stays in London, Inspector."

"Well I... alright I suppose..." said LeStrade eyeing up Carter.

As the Policeman walks away to examine the crime scene Holmes turns to Carter. "Brown's Hotel is recommended sir, and I shall ensure a room secured for you. Claridges is another but in need of renovation and closed at this time. Without scurrying over the rooftops of London and looking out for a 6'3" tall bipedal wolf I feel that the trail will lead us nowhere on this night. However I plan - early mind - to visit a number of gypsy camps. I recall a poem, a rhyme that means little save to frighten children but that may have some basis in fact."

"Even a man who is pure in heart, and says his prayers by night; May become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright." Holmes quoted. "I will take my leave but call on you by horse drawn cart in the morning at 7 sharp. You may call for a cart and put the cost of that onto my account which shall be settle don the morrow." he settled his hat in place, nodded to Lestrade and left the alleyway.

Haunt looked back at the scene.

A werewolf. Somehow he knew Advent had a hand in this. And where was Steeplejack?

OOC Check out the crime scene some more or head for the hotel. Or patrol the streets of London dressed as a ghostly white cowboy?

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK! - Page 2 Empty Re: THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK!

Post  Admin Fri May 29 2020, 14:08

STEEPLEJACK DIFFICULTY 3 HP 42

Moving to the tied man Steeplejack immediately shredded the ropes with a pull from his powerful hands. The body slumped and he scooped it up then looked around for a boat. There must have been at least one lifeboat at one stage but it had long gone.

He glanced out into the darkness. Too far to jump so he'd have to swim. However he could try something else, being to summon a rock from the beach large enough for them both to ride on.

OOC I'll assume he does that. There is a darkness and range modifier on top of the difficulty so chances are it will 'miss'. In fact I would say it is more likely it will fail so would not suggest burning through your limited stash of HP. If it fails you can try again with HP if you want ...

Earth Control 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 2,11,+0 Total:13 (23) vs
OV4 + Darkness 2 + Diff 3 + Range 6 + Roll(2d12)+0: 3,4,+0 Total:7 (22)

+1 EV (to 11) vs RV4 + Diff 3 + Range 6 (13)=FAILED

Knowing it was a long shot, akin to aiming in the dark at range in a wild and stormy night and hoping to snag a key ring with a fishing line from 300 yards away, Steeplejack grasped a distant rock then felt it fall from his invisible grasp!

Another crack sounded the death knell of the Demeter. It was going down!

OOC try again for the rock, leap into the darkness or try something else? Those coffins full of earth will not float!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri May 29 2020, 15:25

Admin wrote:STEEPLEJACK DIFFICULTY 3 HP 42

OOC try again for the rock, leap into the darkness or try something else? Those coffins full of earth will not float![/i][/color]

Steeplejack didn't have long to think and pulling up a good size chunk of decking he flung it over the side, scooped up the half-dead sailor and jumped over for it. With his legs dangling he did his best to propel the makeshift raft to land, hoping to gain another go and snagging a rock to get them out of the water and safely to the lighthouse in the distance.

OOC: So doing what I can from where I am, so as not to use HP, when I get a bit closer have another go at snagging a rock, to take us, and all the while seeking to keep life and body together for the sailor and me.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri May 29 2020, 15:58

"Even a man who is pure in heart, and says his prayers by night; May become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright." Holmes quoted. "I will take my leave but call on you by horse drawn cart in the morning at 7 sharp. You may call for a cart and put the cost of that onto my account which shall be settle don the morrow." he settled his hat in place, nodded to Lestrade and left the alleyway.

Haunt looked back at the scene.

A werewolf. Somehow he knew Advent had a hand in this. And where was Steeplejack?

OOC Check out the crime scene some more or head for the hotel. Or patrol the streets of London dressed as a ghostly white cowboy?

"I have GOT to remember everything about that man," Nick Carter thinks to himself as Sherlock Holmes disappears into the night.  "I am going to make sure I get him and his mannerisms down perfectly so I can make a movie or a play about him, starring me!  And, bother, he took off before I could tell him I was broke.  Note to self, sew some semi-precious stones into the lining of my costume that can be traded in most time periods or places for money."

He really wanted to get on the rooftops and see if he could find any other evidence or pick up a trail of the wolfman but the idea of going to the hotel first, on Holmes' nickel, sounded like the best thing to do first.  He could then take to the roofs from there, summoning his fog as he did so to hide him from view, and come back and see if he could pick up a rooftop trail or maybe find evidence that Steeplejack was nearby.

So he asked for directions to Brown's Hotel for the local peelers and headed that way, wondering if he had anything on him that he could pawn in the morning.

ooc:  Guess with my disad for this time period my 1/8th mile fog is much much less, but still, foggy smoky Victorian London should help him get around mostly unnoticed. Guess it is now about 100 yds with the disad. Still pretty big area.

Last edited by DavidMcMahon on Fri May 29 2020, 16:43; edited 1 time in total
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri May 29 2020, 16:05

DavidMcMahon wrote:And where was Steeplejack?

OOCwondering the same thing myself brother, you and me both ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri May 29 2020, 23:58

Steeplejack pulled a hand back and punched into the deck!

OOC Str 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 7,12,+0 Total:19 (29) vs
OV6 + Roll(2d12)+0: 4,6,+0 Total:10 (16)
+5 (to 15) vs RV6=9RAPs success

The inch thick wood exploded where he hit it and wrenched up several planks of the deck before grabbing the sailor onto it and jumping as far as his legs could propel himself towards the light from the lighthouse and safety.

The icy cold water bit as he landed in, submerged, out, submerged, out... a roar of water, darkness, rain... kicking hard, swimming as well he could with the makeshift raft and trying to keep the unconscious man's head above the water.

It was too far. He was not going to... Thud.

The planks hit something had and moments later Steeplejack dragged the wood and man onto rocks and solid ground. Were he not superhuman he would be dead! The lighthouse was up there on top of the cliff. He scooped up the man, slung him over his shoulder then leapt, clinging to the cliff face and leaping again and suddenly he was up!

=========

"Who could this be at this time of night, and so foul a night it is!" remarked Henry Modden, lighthouse keeper.

He opened the door then shielded himself against the wind and rain blasting in. A sodden man in a suit was holding another man in sailors garb. By the light of Moddens' lamp the sailor was deathly white.

=========

"Drink up!" said Modden after handing Steeplejack a tea.

"What can have caused you to venture abroad this night, and so foul a one at that?" he asked the man wrapped in towels by the fire. There was no sound from the other man, the sailor, who seemed close to death and didn't respond to brandy nor whisky or even soup.

OOC you may have a few questions of your own. If you reel them off I shall quote the post and add the answers...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat May 30 2020, 00:16

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 17

OOC The difficulty applies to dice actions made by or affecting the heroes with +3 to OV/RV and AV/EV when against the good guys. Automatic Actions need no dice roll and are this not affected so he can lift with all his mighty strength and make fog as usual etc.

Haunt moved without issue through the fog of London and asked for directions. He was soon moving through the streets, noting furtive figures who watched and appraised him, probably thinking him too big or not rich enough as a mark.

He arrived at the hotel and sure enough, a suite was saved in his name, courtesy of S Holmes of Baker Street, paid for until the weeks end in several days time with an option to renew.

The problems of money solved for now he ate of a hearty meal and slept in a clean bed, crisp sheets providing comfort. Wherever he was, he hoped Steeplejack had fallen on similar fortune.

=========

"Sir? Sir you must awaken. The Police are here." said the maid as she shook Nick Carter gently by the shoulder.

Haunt woke with sun barely peeking through the window. The maid curtsied and whispered "The Police are waiting outside the door sir." before she left...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat May 30 2020, 01:06

"Sir? Sir you must awaken. The Police are here." said the maid as she shook Nick Carter gently by the shoulder.

Haunt woke with sun barely peeking through the window. The maid curtsied and whispered "The Police are waiting outside the door sir." before she left...

"Thank you," he mumbled to her retreating back.  As he had no night clothes, he had slept naked.  The magic ring may have given him the appearance of wearing different types of clothes but he really only had his Haunt outfit to wear and he cleaned it up a bit last night so he wouldn't start smelling ranker than the folks around him did.  Deodorant not being a thing in the day and age he was currently in.  

Checking to see if the costume had dried, he put it on the lower half of his body.  He then fiddled with the magic ring and created an image of what he wanted to appear as wearing so it appeared he was wearing his union suit with the top opened and rolled down, his trousers with suspenders hanging and his shoes and socks.  Then with shaving brush in hand and bare-chested, he opened the door to his room.

"Good morning, gentlemen, could you give me a few more minutes to finish my toiletry and dressing?  Perhaps you could order me breakfast as well.  Then I will be happy to go with you to Mr. Holmes' fine apartments."  He grinned at the police as he spoke.

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK! - Page 2 Men_s-10
THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK! - Page 2 Shavin10

He was a bit worried about using the straight razor as he didn't want to get sepsis but figured his super body would probably prevent cuts to his face while he shaved.  He remembered reading about why men wore such elaborate beards and mustaches in this time period and before, when researching a role, was because of the very real possibility of dying from sepsis due to nicks and cuts their faces with their reusable straight razors.  No medicines existed yet to fight it that he knew of, so a man literally was taking his life into his hands whenever he shaved.  He shuddered at the thought.

A Deadly Ritual: 5 Men Who Died from Shaving
straight razor shave murder engraving illustration

These days, nothing can be more routine for a man than shaving. We hardly give a second thought to scraping a razor against our skin each morning. If we fear anything about the process, it’s that we’ll nick ourselves or end up with severe razor burn.

But it wasn’t always so.

Shaving was once a dangerous and sometimes lethal endeavor. Before the advent of safety razors and sanitation laws, a man risked his life when he decided to clean up with a close shave. Here are the stories of five men who met their end in pursuit of a smooth face. Unfortunately, none of these tales actually involve blood-thirsty barbers. But they may still scare you into a growing a beard.

Michael F. Farley, 1921
Michael F. Farley immigrated to the United States from Ireland in 1881 when he was 18 years old. He ran a successful liquor business in New York and was elected to Congress in 1915. But Mr. Farley’s Horatio Alger story was cut short after a visit to the barbershop. Little did Mr. Farley know that the badger brush the barber was using to create that nice luxurious lather on his face was contaminated with – I kid you not- anthrax. Farley was infected with the bacterium and died a few days later. Who knew a barber brush could be a weapon of mass destruction?

Alexander Nikolayevich Scriabin, 1915
Alexander Nikolayevich Scriabin composer head shot portrait

Alexander Scriabin was a pianist and composer with a rather eccentric streak. The composer wrote “I am God” in a journal, experimented with tone and harmony in his compositions, and designed a special organ that created projections of colored light instead of music when played. His final work was to be the Mysterium, a grandiose piece which would last seven days and be played at the foothills of the Himalayas in India. Scriabin believed that bells hung from clouds would gather people to this location and that the Mysterium would usher in an armageddon, transforming the earth into a world of total bliss. Alas, the earth kept spinning as usual because of an ordinary razor blade. Scriabin died at age 43 after nicking himself while shaving and becoming infected with sepsis or blood poisoning.

John Henry Taylor, 1911
John Henry Taylor was a friendly horticulturalist who decided to take a trip on a Red Line cruise ship back in 1911. In-between matches of shuffle board, Mr. Taylor felt his beard was getting a little rough and decided to visit the on-board barber. The waves must have been pretty rough that day because the barber gave ol’ John Henry a little nick on the neck. Because small cuts are par for the course when getting a shave, John Henry didn’t think much of it and returned to his cabin. But later that night, his throat began to swell up and fill with fluid. The ship doctor said it was just a case of blood poisoning and told Taylor that it would soon heal itself. Two days later the swelling increased, and Taylor could no longer speak. A week after the initial cut, John Henry Taylor suffocated and died from severe edema.

John Thoreau, 1841
John Thoreau was the brother of famous American writer and Transcendentalist, Henry David Thoreau. In the winter of 1841, while taking part in his daily shave, John Thoreau cut himself with his razor. A few days later he came down with lockjaw and died in Henry David’s arms. His brother’s death devastated Thoreau. He didn’t talk to his family or write in his journal for weeks.

Thoreau’s good friend, Ralph Waldo Emerson, suggested he go spend some time out in the woods alone near a pond called Walden. Thoreau took this sage advice, and one of America’s great essays was born. All thanks to shaving.

Lord Carnarvon, 1923
Lord Carnarvon explorer sitting in chair reading

On November 26, 1922, Lord Carnarvon peered into the burial chamber of King Tutankhamun, beholding a sight and a treasure that had not been viewed in over 3,000 years. Three months later he was dead. The Earl of Carnarvon, aka George Herbert, was the chief financier of archeologist Howard Carter’s excavation of the Valley of the Kings. After a series of unsuccessful digs in the years previous, Carnarvon was thinking of withdrawing his funding, but Carter convinced him to back one last dig. And the decision would pay off handsomely with Carter’s discovery of King Tut’s tomb. But Herbert would have little time to enjoy this momentous find. At the end of February 1923, Herbert was bitten on the cheek by a mosquito. He subsequently sliced the bite open while he was shaving. The small cut became infected and Lord Carnarvon took ill with sepsis. While recupertaing at the Continental-Savoy hotel in Cairo, he contracted pneumonia and died April 5, 1923. Twas a history-changing death from shaving–fostering the “Curse of Tutankhamun,” or the”Mummy’s Curse,” and ensuring that Brendan Fraser would be remembered for more than Encino Man.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat May 30 2020, 10:17

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 17

"Quick as you can sir." said a Policeman, all business. "And they'll feed you down the station, where we're going."

Something occurred to Haunt and he glanced at a carriage clock ticking away on the dressing table. 08.17. Though he'd only just met Sherlock Holmes he didn't seem the type to be tardy or miss an appointment.

At the frown on Nick Carters' face the Policeman continued. "Orders of Inspector LeStrade. You're to be be questioned and possibly charged for your part in the murder of Sherlock Holmes." he said with an ashen face!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat May 30 2020, 10:49

Admin wrote:"Drink up!" said Modden after handing Steeplejack a tea.

"What can have caused you to venture abroad this night, and so foul a one at that?" he asked the man wrapped in towels by the fire. There was no sound from the other man, the sailor, who seemed close to death and didn't respond to brandy nor whisky or even soup.

OOC you may have a few questions of your own. If you reel them off I shall quote the post and add the answers...

Grateful for the reprieve from the cold, wet and wind, Steeplejack didn't need to be told twice. He appreciated the warmth of the room and of Modden's welcome, given the strange way they'd turned up at the door.

Feeling somewhat refreshed, Steeplejack turned from his rescued victim back to Modden,"Ah now therein lies a tale so fantastic you'd think it was more likely I was born beneath the waves and can move rocks with my mind not just my hands. Let's just say that as much as you came across our path a the right time, it seems I came across this fellows path at the right time as well. Sadly death stalked this one, and nearly had him, hopefully we can nurse him back to life and I can find out what my purpose for being here is? Which reminds me, forgive my ignorance but being blown ashore will do that to a man, where is here? And dates times, lost a bit of both, can you tell me the date? And what news, I've been away a good lone while, what news of hereabouts?

Steeplejack new he sounded peculiar to his own ears, but Modden seemed a genial sort and he hoped he wouldn't press his vagueness too deeply. But he was desperate to pinpoint the when and where, to get some idea of what his mission was here, and in all this where the heck Haunt had got to. He'd not seen sight nor sound of him, which was a shame as he would have made getting ashore a whole lot easier.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat May 30 2020, 11:51

At the frown on Nick Carters' face the Policeman continued. "Orders of Inspector LeStrade. You're to be be questioned and possibly charged for your part in the murder of Sherlock Holmes." he said with an ashen face!

"What!?  What are you talking about, man!  Sherlock Holmes dead?!  Where?  When?  How?" he grabs the policeman's arms in his surprise, maybe a bit harder than he should.  "Come in!  Come in!  Tell me all about it as I finish shaving!"

He doesn't give the policeman a choice but drags him into the room, plops him down on a nearby chair or couch, let's him go and starts frantically setting up his shaving gear and begins shaving.

"Talk Man, Talk!  Give me details," he barks while lathering up his face.  His eyes piercing back from the mirror into the policeman's.  

ooc:  Trying to use Charisma to get man to talk and give him details he can work with.  He didn't really use super-strength in the above but "normal" strongman strength.  Since he answered the door bare-chested, it is pretty obvious that he quite a strong guy.  Also, now that I think about it, the acid burns and scars from his year long torture by the Advent would be visible too since I didn't think to use his powers to hide them. He does unconsciously hide the scars on his face all the time because an actor's face is his livelihood.  It also comes to me that the Haunt should now have another Drawback - hatred of the Advent or traumatic flashback of torture by Advent but there isn't a drawback he currently has that could be traded out for it except maybe the traumatic flashback. Acid in the face is much less a thing for him now compared to that year of torture.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jun 01 2020, 07:46

"Why, it be the year of our lord 1896 sir!" said the Lighthouse keeper, somewhat surprised. "And you're near Whitby."

"Storms are not unusual this time of year but this seems most dreadful! A shepherd reported not far from here to have seen a dog so large you'd think it be part wolf, sprinting towards the town and the old abbey. Old Josh is given to tall tales of high fancy and no doubt will have more to tell when I meet for a pint later on when I'm relieved."

"I shall send message for the lifeboats to get out when the seas have calmed and for the Police to fence off the beach where the ship founded. The 'Demeter' you say? A Russian vessel out of Varna, it's gotten all this way only to founder on our shores and only this poor blighter to tell the tale? If he lives that is, I've ne'er seen a man so white as a sheet and still live. It's a wonder he has any blood left in him at all, poor fellow."

"I sent for the Doctor via Morse Code. It's a wonder of the age being able to send message down a line though I shouldn't doubt this wind will bring trees down and the wires with it. We'll be back to flashing the messages then and no doubt I'll have to wait an age before the daft lad in the other tower sees them. Half asleep most of the time he is."

That meant that Steeplejack had been transported through time roughly twenty years from his excursion in the west of America and thousands of miles to the North of England. Luckily Whitby was little changed from modern day in layout though the village relied on fishing rather than tourism. The problem also remained as to what to do about what the sailor had said.

"You want to stay the night or risk going out in that again?" the lighthouse keeper said, referring to the storm. "You can kip on the settee and there's hot water for a bath should you want it and get out of them clothes. You're a big fella but I reckon a jumper would stretch and we keep boxes of dry clothing for such occasions as this so you'll find something to fit no doubt."

As Steeplejack pondered that, he also wondered, 'Where was Haunt?'

OOC Dracula was written in 1897 so knowledge of 'Vampires' is not widespread. It's a tricky one. In a game like this are Vampires fictional and how much would the characters know? I'll assume that the various books, films etc were all made but that there is a basis in fact for the legends and stories that many people (aside from the heroes) don't know about...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jun 01 2020, 08:01

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 17

OOC Charisma Persuasion 8 + 4D Charisma + Roll(6d12)+0: 9,11,6,5,1,12,+0 Total:23 (31) vs
OV2 + Hostile 6 + Diff 3 + Roll(2d12)+0: 1,4,+0 Total:5 (16)

+5 (to 10 EV) vs RV2 + 6 (Hostile) +3 Diff=FAILED

"Now old on just a... ulp!" said the Peeler as he was dragged into the room with the other following.

"Sir I think that..." his voice trailed off as he saw the body scars that went with the facial acid scars he'd suffered long ago. Some of the body scars were of surgical procedures, designed to extract dna and more besides. His power of healing was fantastic and most were gone but some would always remain, as would his hatred for ADVENT.

"We was alerted by Mrs Hudson his housekeeper of Mr Holmes' condition as she noted he was late to rise and never was that an issue before. Inspector LeStrade himself took charge of the case and sent us to nab you while he sent for Dr Watson. Now get dressed an no more questions, mind, you're a suspect an the Inspector will want to question you at length!" said the Policeman.

The other Peeler took out his truncheon and patted it in his other hand as they waited...

OOC Go quietly or 'make a fuss'?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Jun 01 2020, 10:26

ooc: Go quietly or make a fuss? Hell, I'm practically going to be dragging these guys after me! I love you

Finishing shaving, he steps into the bedroom and finishes dressing. Grabbing his hat, he places it on his head.

"Let's go gentlemen. Is it faster to walk or do you have a carriage for us?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jun 01 2020, 22:09

As Steeplejack pondered that, he also wondered, 'Where was Haunt?'

Steeplejack decided to file away his friend, for now, the truth was since things begun with the meeting it had been like a roller coaster ride, he hadn't experienced adventure like this since...well it had to have been a while and being retired didn't help.  But he had to admit, despite the disorientating nature of his latest adventures, it felt good to be back in action and back in a team.  He could only hope to pick up on Haunt when he got to the mainland.  

Turning to the salty lighthouse keeper Steepljack said, "A bath and a change of clothes sounds like a mighty fine offer, my friend.  I am most grateful to you."

Steeplejack checked their patient and then took himself off to wash the smell of salty brine of himself, and welcome the rough but warm and serviceable clothes he'd been offered.  And then bidding his host goodnight, he took himself off to bed.  Nothing to be done till morning he decided.  

OOC: OK, I am will check on our sailor friend if I wake in the night, and make sure he is ok, and otherwise try to get some rest before thinking about getting to the mainland.  I am minded of the fact that Vampires are a bit out of my lexicon of experience but I am worried about the fact this man is 'alive' is that he might be turned to them - hence the reason for being weary at night and just checking his progress.  

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 03 2020, 00:05

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 17

"We have a coach waiting sir, if you... "

They watched Nick Carter rushing to get dressed and rushing to 'crack on' to find out what this was all about. The coach had bars on the window so it was clear what they'd been told to think about Carter - that if he were capable of murder he needed apprehending!

Haunt settled in on a bench seat and CLUNK the heavy wooden door shut and locked behind him with the Peelers riding on the top or sides. A bell was rung to have people clear out of the streets and shortly after it lurched forward with a bone shaking motion towards the Police Station. Haunt glanced at the door and the walls of the coach box. Solid oak, metal frame and reinforcement. Enough to hold an ordinary criminal. If he so wanted Haunt could probably sneeze his way out of here.

=========

He was led from the coach and taken through the Police Station reception down a side corridor and into a holding cell.

The cell was small, a bench to sit/stretch out on and a bucket for the toilet. Bars on the doors and windows.

Haunt figured there was a zillion ways he could get out of here but that would highlight his apparent guilt in the case.

OOC Ok to go along with this as LeStrade may keep you waiting a while...?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 03 2020, 00:18

The sailor remained in a state between life and death, occasionally shivering but eyes wide and unblinking.

He remained unresponsive and Steeplejack was mindful that if whatever had caused this... this mystery of the near dead ship to arrive here was indeed one of the Nosferatu, the undead, then there may be a real problem with the guy getting up and wandering about with big fangs.

He spent a restless night. Even though his Danger Sense didn't warn him he was aware that many of his powers wouldn't work in this man made building of stone and metal. Wood would rot and for structural strength it would need stone and metal to withstand the battering the North Sea handed out, and it was quite the battering...

Waves lashed the outside, rain pounded and eventually sleep came but was somewhat uneasy.

=========

Morning broke with bright sunshine creeping in through windows and Steeplejack went to check on the sailor.

He was fully covered with a blanket and peeling it back revealed the man had died during the night. No doubt about it and the sun settled on his skin without... well, whatever Steeplejack might have expected. Steam, smoke, flames whatever.

"Local Police want to chat to you, find out a few details if that's alright." said the lighthouse keeper. He was a different man from the previous night but no less friendly and handed a hot cup of tea over. "Paperwork and so on." he said, sipping.

Paperwork. Hmmm. Would that be a problem for someone who doesn't exist?

"They are on their way over now. be ... half an hour or so." said the Lighthouse Keeper before he pulled the blanket back over the Sailor and went back upstairs to scan the seas for ships.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Jun 03 2020, 02:26

=========

He was led from the coach and taken through the Police Station reception down a side corridor and into a holding cell.

The cell was small, a bench to sit/stretch out on and a bucket for the toilet. Bars on the doors and windows.

Haunt figured there was a zillion ways he could get out of here but that would highlight his apparent guilt in the case.

OOC Ok to go along with this as LeStrade may keep you waiting a while...?

Deciding to make a fuss, Nick Carter started yelling, "I want to see Dr. Watson!  I want to know what you've done with Sherlock Holmes' body!  Times wasting and clues are disappearing while you play these games!  Get me Watson!  Get me facts!  I demand that JUSTICE be served!  Stop sniveling like a coward LeStrade!  You know you are over your head.  Trying to frame someone won't help you find the killer and the killer will strike again and again while you have me locked up here!  You will look a bigger fool than you are already!  My respect for you is now lower and smellier than the waste bucket in this cell that needs to be emptied!  Get me the American Ambassador!  I'm the next best detective you've got, LeStrade!  Way better than anyone else you have on the force, and after last night, you know it!"

Make variations of the above until he gets some information.  If he can find out where Holmes' body is, he may decide to escape in order to examine it.  If Watson shows up, he can question him.  

If guards show up to beat him quiet, he will stare them down while they beat on him, saying things like "You know, when the Indians caught me their torture and beating were much more effective. Would you like some pointers on how to beat a man? Or is beating women and children all you are capable of?" Yeah, he is going to be an ass if guards show up to beat him.
flower
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Jun 03 2020, 12:25

"They are on their way over now. be ... half an hour or so." said the Lighthouse Keeper before he pulled the blanket back over the Sailor and went back upstairs to scan the seas for ships.

Saddened by the final state of the Sailor, Steeplejack nodded.

"I'd like to take care of this fella since I dragged him out of the old briny, but I suspect the police will want to examine him before he is buried either on land or sea. Shame really no one but us to mark the passing of his life. Shaking himself off he thanked the keeper, and said, "I'm going out for some air..."

And with that, he took the hot cup and went outside his things such as they were gathered around him. He played with the time stone, on the necklace around his neck. It was good to take in the sea air, and not be battered by violent waves or winds. What to do next...was the question uppermost in his mind.

OOC: Is there a boat or a means to get from here to shore. If not I am wondering about taking a rock, and floating inland. I think its time I left better if no questions are asked. I only remained to make sure the light housekeeper was safe. But now its best I make my way back to land and find out if any other strange deaths have occurred.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 04 2020, 14:43

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 17

The slot in the door slides open. "I wondered what all that distant and muffled shouting was about." sighed the Desk Sergeant.

"As for the Inspector, he is still examining the scene of the crime and will be along to question you presently. Now be a good chap and sit there and I'll bring you something to eat and drink!"

Nick Carter chose instead to bawl and shout about justice and mentioned Dr Watson. "Doctor Watson? Why, the man is besides himself with grief and still insists on doing the autopsy himself. That's professionalism for you. Can't say as much for the housekeeper. Mrs Hudson has spun some strange tale of having locked up for the night only for a knock at the door to reveal she'd locked Mr Holmes out of his own house! Can you imagine! She fussed and huffed and sent him up to his room then prepared some food."

"When she got there she found Holmes lifeless in his chair and a window open, no doubt where you entered, villain! I'm sure the Inspector will get the truth from you and in the meantime keep quiet or I'll have to take stronger measures! I'll warrant in the Americas you don't get treated near as well!" he blustered, then slid the hatch shut!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jun 04 2020, 15:07

"When she got there she found Holmes lifeless in his chair and a window open, no doubt where you entered, villain! I'm sure the Inspector will get the truth from you and in the meantime keep quiet or I'll have to take stronger measures! I'll warrant in the Americas you don't get treated near as well!" he blustered, then slid the hatch shut!

the plan - escape and go to the scene and get clues and see Holmes' body for himself.

So...

Wait until the guard leaves.

Slowly slide open the panel and stretch an ear out to make sure he can't hear anyone else in the corridor. IF he hears nothing, then stretch an eye and then a finger out the slot to visually check the corridor, if safe, then stretch the finger to slide the bar or pick the lock of the door and open it. Close door and vision panel, sneak down corridor and then walk out some exit of the building.

OR

Depending on bars on the window and what the window looks out on, just ooze through the bars and leave that way. If he has a better chance of getting away this way without being spotted he will do this. Also summon his fog, that should not be noticed all that much when he is outside with all the fog and smog of this age. If he has to change into some creature like a bird to escape - not sure how high up he is - after oozing out of the bars, he will do so and fly slowly enough within his fog he doesn't leave it behind.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 04 2020, 15:09

The Lighthouse was set on an outcropping of rock cliff and looked out over the sea.

There was a small rowing boat available but that was to save lives in the most dire situation. Instead for Steeplejack the way remained clear to venture up a worn path in the grass and from there he could look upon Whitby with its distinctive abbey and vibrant fishing community.

With a glance about he leapt 100 yards at a time at a speed nearing 50mph which in this day and age would make him as fast or faster than anyone else about!

Very soon he slowed to start walking down a cobbled road dropping down into the bay and town of Whitby which had grown around the harbour. A number of tall houses had been built that served as guest houses or homes for the well to do and the salty sea air blew across his face. Up ahead as the buildings rose around the road and the streets narrowed he could see the harbour and more importantly, a large crowd gathered.

Joining the edge of the crowd Steeplejack was glad to note he received no strange looks for he was dressed in old fisherman's garb and did not stand out. The dialect was accented but he could hear clearly what was being said. "A ship had foundered on the rocks and we'll need able bodies to gather the shipwreck together! All them that has a need to earn a few coins can sign up here and make their way round to the 'Salty Spray' which casts off for the wreck within the hour!" said a Policeman.

Suddenly a shrill voice called out "Murder! MURDER! Murder most foul!" wailed a woman's voice.

The crowd turned and a fishwife ran towards the group, wailing and with her hands covered in blood! Steeplejack looks beyond her and sees she's run from a guest house with the front door still ajar. The Policeman has to contend with bustling fishermen and locals so there may be an opportunity to get to the site of the killing and investigate it....
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 04 2020, 15:25

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 17

For Haunt the escape is effortless. Oozing through the gap in the bars on the window of the cell he can easily form suction cups on his fingers (OOC omni arm or self manip take your pick to mimic Cling) and summons fog to mask his passing.

Sure enough in the turn of century city that London is Haunt needs little in the way of fog to mask his passage to the rooftops and smokey chimneys of the nations capital.

Haunt considers his costume, white against the grey, dark smog. It will be filthy in no time. Or... or he could change his shape and use his Chameleon like ability to change the colour of his body to match as much as possible to the leaden grey skies (OOC Your call)

Haunt makes his way across London back to 221B Baker Street...

...and when close by, slows to consider his next options.

OOC Perception first!

Int 8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 1,9,+0 Total:10 (18) vs
Dex 5 + Diff 3 + Thief 1D + Roll(3d12)+0: 8,6,12,+0 Total:20 (28)

Haunt sees nothing amiss from his rooftop perch looking down on the street which has been blocked off to press and non residents whilst police are gathered outside Holmes' terraced house. There is a skylight in the top floor/attic of 221B or possibly a servants entrance at the back that might be a way in.

How did Haunt get across London? In white garb, Chameleon like flying manta ray form or using his arms to stretch like spiderman or simply bounce across on spring legs or a zillion other ways haunt can reform his body. Just want to know how easy he is to spot. bear in mind on the rooftops only Dick van Dyke and his pals will be bouncing about.... or will they...?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jun 04 2020, 15:38

Haunt sees nothing amiss from his rooftop perch looking down on the street which has been blocked off to press and non residents whilst police are gathered outside Holmes' terraced house. There is a skylight in the top floor/attic of 221B or possibly a servants entrance at the back that might be a way in.

How did Haunt get across London? In white garb, Chameleon like flying manta ray form or using his arms to stretch like spiderman or simply bounce across on spring legs or a zillion other ways haunt can reform his body. Just want to know how easy he is to spot. bear in mind on the rooftops only Dick van Dyke and his pals will be bouncing about.... or will they...?

ooc:  You know, I don't think I've hardly ever used Chameleon since I generally kept the white of his outfit so now is a great time to do so.  So change his color to match that of the wall and turn into an ooze and ooze down the wall to find the window to Holmes' rooms and see what he can see and hear, so he only needs to ooze enough of him to see and hear and the rest of him can be on the roof.

As to how he got here, flying as a man-sized bird but matching the color of the fog/smog would have been best.

Last edited by DavidMcMahon on Thu Jun 04 2020, 22:31; edited 1 time in total
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jun 04 2020, 19:50

Suddenly a shrill voice called out "Murder! MURDER! Murder most foul!" wailed a woman's voice.

The crowd turned and a fishwife ran towards the group, wailing and with her hands covered in blood! Steeplejack looks beyond her and sees she's run from a guest house with the front door still ajar. The Policeman has to contend with bustling fishermen and locals so there may be an opportunity to get to the site of the killing and investigate it....

Steeplejack didn't need to be told twice, whilst the woman was flailing around and gathering a good group of eager vultures eager to hear her macabre tail, Steeplejack made good on the confusion to slip away and examine the scene. He slipped in careful to examine but not handle anything. His chief concern was for the body, what state it was in, and secondly where, if as he suspected, vampires were on the prowl they'd gone to ground.

OOC: Ok using all my skills Medicine and thief (if needed) and if I get caught try and use Charisma to charm my way out again = by saying I'm a London reporter on a break but interested in know what this is all about.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next