The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK!

3 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK! - Page 5 Empty Re: THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK!

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jun 23 2020, 08:26

DavidMcMahon wrote:Nick Carter's eyebrows rose at the wordplay between the two men.  Fishing out the piece of the time stone, he tossed it to the "reporter".

"Seen anything like this before," he asked.

Taking the stone, Steeplejack recognised it immediately, and with a curious eye looked at Nick Carter said, "Yes, it's identical to this..." and with that, he withdrew his time stone from underneath his necktie which adequately hid it away from prying eyes. "Where did you get this...I am looking for a friend who has one similar to this. We are...partners much like Mr Holmes and Watson here?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK! - Page 5 Empty Re: THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #10 With special guest star STEEPLEJACK!

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jun 23 2020, 11:27

"That one we got off a man, and I use that term loosely, that tried to murder Mr. Holmes. He disappeared after being separated from it," Nick Carter finishes up.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jun 23 2020, 11:40

DavidMcMahon wrote:"That one we got off a man, and I use that term loosely, that tried to murder Mr. Holmes.  He disappeared after being separated from it," Nick Carter finishes up.

OOC: Naughty talk about keep a man in suspense ;-)

"Really...so they are here and active. Advent, this was one of their...'servants'. Devilish creatures, not from around these parts one might say."

Steeplejack handed back the stone and then speaking to Holmes said, "Mr Holmes I'm no detective like you gentleman, but I have certain skills and experience fighting these devils. Whatever you suggest as the next best course of action I'm happy to follow, but only let us move quick. Who knows what those fiends are up to with Miss Harkness."

The earnestness in Steeplejack's voice was evident to all in the room, apart from to himself it would seem.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jun 23 2020, 12:12

Nick glances over at the police in the room and then to Holmes to follow his lead in the matter as to what might be best to speak about in the open.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 23 2020, 21:39

Holmes glances at the Policeman. "My dear fellow, do you have all the details you need? I shall take responsibility for Mr Gibb here, be rest assured."

The policeman looked baffled at what Steeplejack had said and stood "I'll report to Inspector LeStrade and send him over when he gets in. Late night last night sir."

"Oh we know about that." grumbled Watson.

Once the policeman had gone Holmes turned to Nick Carter. "Mr Carter, do you know Mr Gibb?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jun 23 2020, 22:02

In reply, he turns into the Haunt and looks at Gibb.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jun 23 2020, 22:34

DavidMcMahon wrote:In reply, he turns into the Haunt and looks at Gibb.

For a moment Steeplejack is thrown back but recovered almost as quickly.

"Wow are you ever a sight for sore eyes. You should hear the things I've been up to. How long have you been here? I ended up..." Steeplejack suddenly realised where he was and after regaining his composer held out a hand and said, "Blimey gov'na pleased to see ya!" and then laughed with relief to be reunited with a friend at a time when he could really do with one.

Then turning to Holmes and Watson he said, "Well played sir, you clearly are the man we are looking for if my companion and I are to recover Miss Harkness and more importantly stop these nefarious villains who are set on causing mayhem and dark devilry of the blackest kind. Where would you propose we get started, sir?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jun 23 2020, 23:19

"Let me give you a quick rundown of what's been happening to me," Nick Carter says, reverting back to that form. "I arrived in an alley where a woman had her throat slashed. I never did hear if Dr. Watson was able to save her or not. It appears a werewolf did it. Not that I've actually ever seen a real werewolf mind you. That was two days ago. Then Advent made an attempt on Mr. Holmes' life and a try at both Dr. Watson and Inspector LeStrade."

"I got this time stone out of it and tussled with it while disguised as Sherlock and got it out of range so it disappeared. I have no idea yet where Prof. Thoth might be found in this time or even what name or guise he would be under. Sherlock is hopefully going to help us track him down. Or have you met him already or know where he is?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Jun 24 2020, 08:53

DavidMcMahon wrote:"Let me give you a quick rundown of what's been happening to me," Nick Carter says, reverting back to that form.  "I arrived in an alley where a woman had her throat slashed.  I never did hear if Dr. Watson was able to save her or not.  It appears a werewolf did it.  Not that I've actually ever seen a real werewolf mind you.  That was two days ago.  Then Advent made an attempt on Mr. Holmes' life and a try at both Dr. Watson and Inspector LeStrade."

"I got this time stone out of it and tussled with it while disguised as Sherlock and got it out of range so it disappeared.  I have no idea yet where Prof. Thoth might be found in this time or even what name or guise he would be under.  Sherlock is hopefully going to help us track him down.  Or have you met him already or know where he is?"

"No I haven't, Penny, Miss Harkness has a talent for seeing things, sort of precognition. She said that we would meet Holmes and I think she described Thoth that we'd meet him later today. She said her talent would lead us to him, but without her here, we're rather bumbling around in the dark. I guess we could check his residence from our...I mean from where we last knew he lived. He might have had the house since well since now. Worth a try. We'd best call a cab I guess...

OOC: Since Thoth lived in London when we met him in our time it's not beyond the bounds he does still do so, here, or did so here. Anyway, I suggest we go take a look unless Holmes or Haunt has a better suggestion?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 24 2020, 21:13

Watson shook his head "Well I never..."

"The young woman was clinging to life, but barely. She'd lost a lot of blood and I left her in the care of the local hospital after an emergency blood transfusion. Werewolf? Advent? Shape Changing Americans? Whatever next?" he spluttered.

Holmes frowned. "ADVENT is the hand in all of this, I am sure. We are not accustomed to dealing with the supernatural and may well have to take the lead from your gentlemen. However the rational we CAN deal with."

Just then a knock at the door and the housekeeper of this place popped her head round the door. "Beggin pardon sirs, a Policeman for you."

"Another one?" spluttered Watson.

The copper came in and straightened up in the august company of Holmes and Watson. "My pardon sirs... Inspector LeStrade requests Mr 'Olmes at the station and the 'Ospital sent an urgent message to Mr Watson. It states 'The patient is gone. Left!' "

"Why... that's impossible!" declared Watson. "No way could that young woman gather the strength to leave! She was at deaths door only yesterday!"

"I better see what LeStrade has thrown up. This address you mention Gibb... write it down, I'll meet you there."

"I'll head to the hospital, get the details of what happened..." said Watson, mopping his brow.

OOC You have a choice of locations really. Thoths' 'old' ( current?) place, the hospital with Watson, check out the room upstairs with a magnifying glass (Steep isn't the best at Detective work), patrol or wait for the next shock horror revelation to come through the door. At this rate it won't be long!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Jun 24 2020, 21:47

"I think I will have a look at the crime scene upstairs," Nick Carter says. "There may still be some clues to be found there. After that? Depends on what I find. How about you, Steeplejack? Wanna stick around and see what we uncover together? I would say it would be like old times but this is the old times, just newer than last time."

He grins at his poor time travel joke.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 24 2020, 22:17

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 17

Nick Carter led the way and stopped at the door indicated by Jack Gibb.

Taking a look about inside the room he sees a large bedroom, slept in bed, chest with clothes draped over it, make up/vanity table, wardrobes, a large bath with (now) cold water in it and the window shattered from the outside with the glass collected on the floor.

Taking a look Haunt sees if there are any clues to find...

OOC Int 8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 11,5,+0 Total:16 (24) vs
OV6 + 3 Diff + Roll(2d12)+0: 12,6,+0 Total:18 (27) Failed.

Haunt frowns and looks about. There's nothing really here. Someone clung to the wall outside or leapt in through the window (but not very hard), scooped up the naked woman from the bath and made off with her.

Inside, he knows that the strange 'time effect' has once more fuzzed his vision and made things harder. Time itself was fighting against their presence here. Steeplejack felt the same having found nothing.

Watson looked about. "Well, not much to be found here." he harrumphed. "I'd best get to the hospital. Anyone coming?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Jun 24 2020, 22:30

"Let's try this again," the Haunt says, reverting to his hero form and shapechanging his head enlarging and elongating his eyes so he can view things microscopically and enlarging his nose so he can increase his sense of smell. Also making his ears grow bigger to increase his hearing. He will also check outside the room and up on the roof. He will summon a light fog to mask his weird appearance when he is about to go out on the roof.

ooc: Ok, so having supersense added into Detective and Thief to see what happens then. The "guy" broke in so thief might help here as a secondary skill.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 24 2020, 22:53

OOC Essentially what you have to do is spot a clue (perception check) THEN you can use Detective to analyse the clues you found. Microscopic Vision doesn't boost Perception by it's value but I will say it works in the same was as Sharp Eye advantage which gives -2OV or -2RV your choice. Your issue is OV at the moment so I'll apply that.

Perception Int 8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 3,11,+0 Total:14 (22) vs
OV6 + 3 Diff -2 Micro Vision + Roll(2d12)+0: 8,3,+0 Total:11 (18) +3 (to 11) vs RV6 + 3 Diff (9)= 2 RAPs

This time Haunt finds something on the edge of a shard of glass.

OOC Int 8 + Detective 4D + Roll(6d12)+0: 10,4,3,10,11,12,+0 Total:20 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 10,2,+0 Total:32 (40) vs
OV6 + 3 Diff + Roll(2d12)+0: 3,5,+0 Total:8 (17) +7 (to 15) vs RV6 + 3 (9)=6 RAPs

1) There is a cloth sample on the glass
2-3) Cloth... but no blood. Odd. The sharpness of the glass should have slashed into skin and left a blood sample of some kind. The cloth is musty old clothing, probably from a cape or hooded cloak of some kind. Woollen, old smelling. Thick, quite heavy and dense.
4-6) As might be found in a theatre box of clothes for Actors to wear. Holding it up to the light reveals it blocks light quite well indeed. Whoever wore this was not bothered about standing out in broad daylight in the street... or travelled via rooftop. Indeed, Haunt thought he'd seen something similar recently. last night in fact. As worn by Spring Heeled Jack.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Jun 24 2020, 23:12

The Haunt reveals what he found to the others to see if they could add any new information and clues to these revelations.

HOLY FREAKING CARP!!! IT'S EXCALIBUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 25 2020, 11:06

Watson raised an eyebrow. "Spring Heeled Jack? What... or who... is that? And why kidnap the young woman?"

He turned to Steeplejack. "Sorry my friend for doubting you, but what is it you do? If Carter here can change shape in the blink of an eye can you... I don't know... make rabbits come from a hat or read palms or whatnot?"

Haunt thought about what he knew about Spring Heeled Jack. Nothing much, but it seemed to be that he was on the same side, so why kidnap someone? What was the young woman's specific importance that had highlighted her as a target? Steeplejack knew her better than anyone here and it seemed that every part of the puzzle they uncovered found more to solve but with missing pieces...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jun 25 2020, 13:16

Admin wrote:OOC You have a choice of locations really. Thoths' 'old' ( current?) place, the hospital with Watson, check out the room upstairs with a magnifying glass (Steep isn't the best at Detective work), patrol or wait for the next shock horror revelation to come through the door. At this rate it won't be long!

Turning to Haunt, Steeplejack said quickly, "Now we know a bit more, we've still yet more questions than answers. I think I'll go see Thoth might be the best place I can start. I'm no detective, we'd best move quickly it looks like Advent have upped the time frame and have got more allies. We still don't know their target and what they are up to apart from creating wanton mayhem which will make tracking them down even harder. They've got the jump on us, I think if we can get ahold of Thoth we might be able to get one up on them for a change? What do you think?

As Haunt replied Steeplejack wrote down Thoth's address as he knew it from his future time, and hoped that man was in residence in this present time.

OOC: I'm going to meet Thoth, regardless, if he is in all good and well, if not, then I'll join Holmes at the police station and swing by here on the way in case anything else has turned up.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jun 25 2020, 15:43

Turning to Haunt, Steeplejack said quickly, "Now we know a bit more, we've still yet more questions than answers. I think I'll go see Thoth might be the best place I can start. I'm no detective, we'd best move quickly it looks like Advent have upped the time frame and have got more allies. We still don't know their target and what they are up to apart from creating wanton mayhem which will make tracking them down even harder. They've got the jump on us, I think if we can get ahold of Thoth we might be able to get one up on them for a change? What do you think?

As Haunt replied Steeplejack wrote down Thoth's address as he knew it from his future time, and hoped that man was in residence in this present time.

"Then I will go with Watson and see what clues we can find there.  Is there a picture of the young lady who was taken here?  Or at least give me a description so I know who I am looking for."

"I really have a feeling that Advent isn't behind all of this.  Strange as it seems, I think we are dealing with supernatural beings who have their own agenda as well as Advent.  I'm not sure if Spring Heeled Jack is a foe or an ally.  I thought he was an urban legend.  He has been "seen" or will be "seen" for over 75 years, starting back in the 1830s, but only in the more "flashier" newspapers of the times.  Maybe Holmes knows more about him.  Please ask him when you see him, Steeplejack.  I'm guessing you will go see him after trying to find Thoth."

"We can all meet back up at Holmes' and Watson's place after we've done a bit more investigating and can share what we learn then."

"Anyone have any other ideas or thoughts before we split up?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jun 25 2020, 21:14

DavidMcMahon wrote:"Then I will go with Watson and see what clues we can find there.  Is there a picture of the young lady who was taken here?  Or at least give me a description so I know who I am looking for."

"I really have a feeling that Advent isn't behind all of this.  Strange as it seems, I think we are dealing with supernatural beings who have their own agenda as well as Advent.  I'm not sure if Spring Heeled Jack is a foe or an ally.  I thought he was an urban legend.  He has been "seen" or will be "seen" for over 75 years, starting back in the 1830s, but only in the more "flashier" newspapers of the times.  Maybe Holmes knows more about him.  Please ask him when you see him, Steeplejack.  I'm guessing you will go see him after trying to find Thoth."

"We can all meet back up at Holmes' and Watson's place after we've done a bit more investigating and can share what we learn then."

"Anyone have any other ideas or thoughts before we split up?"

OOC: Agreed

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jun 26 2020, 22:08

STEEPLEJACK DIFFICULTY 3 HP 42

Steeplejack made his way across town, marvelling at the Victorian age. Horse drawn carriages, bicycles and walking were the preferred method of movement for most. Occasionally he would duck down and alley and take to the rooftops. There was some smog in places and he knew the world was on the edge of a technological and industrial revolution that would make it harder for him to interact within cities given his connection to nature.

Wars would accelerate technology so that things in twenty years - aeroplanes used in battle, tanks, mustard gas and the horrors of the first world war - would make the advances of this age seem like they were stuck in the medieval times. Then another 27 or so after years the start of the atomic age, and life would be forever altered. More superhumans, technology racing ahead, and at the moment ADVENT an alien organisation with hidden aims and seemingly friendly on the outside. Their end game was to subjugate or destroy the human race though... and only a few people knew it!

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 11

Watson and Carter took a carriage to the hospital. Within minutes of arriving they were met by a Doctor. "Watson!" he glances at carter then leads them through the hospital to a bed. "The woman you brought in. we transfused her, watched her, made her as comfortable as possible but her wounds..."

Watson nods "I know. There was no way someone could survive with..."

"No. You don't understand. She got up, battered an orderly senseless then left."

"Left? What? That's impossible. The woman was all but dead, her throat torn out."

"The scars were there but were practically healed over, a terrified nurse said so. Poor woman is still in shock."

Watson shook his head and dabbed his forehead with a handkerchief. "The world's gone mad." he muttered.

=========

Steeplejack walked up the street. Not much had changed. No expensive cars of course, and some houses will have had several licks of paint between now and the 21st century.

He knocked on the door. Waited. Knocked again.

The door opened and the young asian woman who served as Thoth's assistant in the future, as a mule in the past and currently in human form stood there. "Yes? What... oh. You!" she declared. She gave Steeplejack an unexpected hug and stood back. "Thank goodness you come! Thoth is missing!"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Jun 26 2020, 22:18

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 11

Watson and Carter took a carriage to the hospital. Within minutes of arriving they were met by a Doctor. "Watson!" he glances at carter then leads them through the hospital to a bed. "The woman you brought in. we transfused her, watched her, made her as comfortable as possible but her wounds..."

Watson nods "I know. There was no way someone could survive with..."

"No. You don't understand. She got up, battered an orderly senseless then left."

"Left? What? That's impossible. The woman was all but dead, her throat torn out."

"The scars were there but were practically healed over, a terrified nurse said so. Poor woman is still in shock."

Watson shook his head and dabbed his forehead with a handkerchief. "The world's gone mad." he muttered.

"Did anyone see where she went, which way she left," Nick Carter asks. "Did anyone visit her while she was here? What room was she in and show us that room, there may be clues still there."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jun 27 2020, 00:10

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 11

"Did anyone see where she went, which way she left," Nick Carter asks. "Did anyone visit her while she was here? What room was she in and show us that room, there may be clues still there."

"Uh? Out... into the street." muttered the Doctor. "There was... someone. An old woman. A gypsy woman. She was in this..."

He turned to Watson "Is this fellow with you?"

Watson nodded, looking like he was nursing a headache.

"Well, this way then." said the Doctor. The room was wide and open with other beds, some filled others empty. The bed where the woman had been was empty.

"Gypsy woman?" asked Watson. "Huh."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Jun 27 2020, 00:19

"Uh? Out... into the street." muttered the Doctor. "There was... someone. An old woman. A gypsy woman. She was in this..."

He turned to Watson "Is this fellow with you?"

Watson nodded, looking like he was nursing a headache.

"Well, this way then." said the Doctor. The room was wide and open with other beds, some filled others empty. The bed where the woman had been was empty.

"Gypsy woman?" asked Watson. "Huh."

"Tell us more about this gypsy woman," Nick requests as he looks over the scene to see if it has any clues they could use. "Then I would like to question those here who saw what happened."

ooc: His intent is to gather clues and information, depending on what the gypsy woman did and how they left, try to follow them, talking to people in the street as to what they saw.

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Jun 27 2020, 09:00

Admin wrote:STEEPLEJACK DIFFICULTY 3 HP 42

The door opened and the young asian woman who served as Thoth's assistant in the future, as a mule in the past and currently in human form stood there. "Yes? What... oh. You!" she declared. She gave Steeplejack an unexpected hug and stood back. "Thank goodness you come! Thoth is missing!"

Steeplejack with a mixed sense of relief that his bizarre hunch had worked and the notion that Thoth was missing, knocked him back. "What!" he managed to blurt out, the relief moments before of seeing a familiar face, evaporated like dew on a summers day. "You'd best fill me in, Haunt is with Watson and Holmes, Sherlock Holmes has been involved in all this. Advent are here and so it seems are other players, Werewolves and Vampires." Seeplejack managed to offer by way of a brief summary of what they'd discovered. He added with no small degree of chagrin "And they may already have the person they are looking for from this age, Penny Harkness, kidnapped from her own home!"

It seemed as if the heroes were on the back foot again, all the players were moving but they were left wondering when their turn came and what would be left on the board after all was said and done.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jun 27 2020, 10:43

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 11

Carter asks questions with Watson taking notes. It takes a while, over an hour, to be thorough in the hospital and then go out onto the streets. Market stall workers, shoppers, shopkeepers, homeless people were all asked and a picture began to build up.

"Gypsy woman? yeah, old ain't she?"

"Always wantin ta flog heather an that."

"Live on the common they does, unless the circus is in town."

"'Ampstead 'Eath innit? Fair way from 'ere. Must take an hour or two by 'orse an cart that's fer sure"

"Creepy. Half 'er teeth missin."

"Lock up your doors an windows says I!"

"Said sommat about not goin out when the moon is full. S'posed ta be tonight innit? Mumbo jumbo."

"offered ta sell me some 'eather, but it smells funny so I said no. Wolfsbane, she said."

"What do you make of that?" said Watson reading out the most relevant answers. "Someone has seen her but Hampstead Heath is a few miles from here. Long way to come just to visit someone specifically in Hospital. The patient... Mary Ann Nichols... was a street girl who lived not far away in a shared house for ... ladies of the night. Maybe some of them know how the old woman knows her. Or we can hire a carriage to ride out there and ask about, but the Gypsies don't like people poking into their business."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next