The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #11 with Special Guest Star Steeplejack!

3 posters

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #11 with Special Guest Star Steeplejack! Empty THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #11 with Special Guest Star Steeplejack!

Post  Admin Tue Jul 28 2020, 23:17

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #11 with Special Guest Star Steeplejack! Haunt-11-titls

OOC For me that fits with 90% Zoom using the Ctrl+Scroll of mouse...

"Ladies, you look quite, quite lovely." said Sherlock Holmes, himself adorned in a tuxedo.

Watson harrumphed and fussed as his Tux was somewhat tight around the neck and midriff but mumbled "Indeed, I echo Holmes' thoughts in this matter ladies."

Penny Harkness and Mina Murray wore beautiful dresses. Penny a dark blue and Mina a shining black silk dress. She was pale and occasionally fidgeted with the charm that Thoth's companion Constanza had given her which was in turn reinforced with the strange 'good' aura that Penny exuded. Thoth himself was still awol though Constanza hadn't expressed any worry. His skill and experience often got him into and out of scrapes.

Nick Carter (Haunt) and Jack Gibb (Steeplejack), heroes from the 21st Century and time travellers back to the late 19th century had uncovered a plot to steal the Holy Grail, the legendary cup of Arthurian legend. That had been in the care and protection of Queen Victoria who probably hadn't known quite what effect the cup had - it protected the land of Great Britain with an invisible intangible aura that kept evil magics away. Evil magics... and creatures. Like Werewolves, and Vampires. Mary Ann Nichols the first of the recorded victims of Jack the Ripper had been saved from death but she was now a lycanthrope, a Werewolf. A Vampire, Spring Heeled Jack, had found himself succumbing to his evil Vampire instincts with the Grail gone. Only the presence and power of Penny Harkness allowed him to keep his lust for blood in check and so he stayed close as a kind of bodyguard to the young mystic.

The Alien organisation ADVENT had a plan it seemed. To deprive the land of Britain from its magical protection and to use that chalice to resurrect the fiendish half sister of King Arthur... Morgana Le Faye. They need to get it far away from Britain and they were working with Dr Fu Manchu and James Moriarty amongst others.

Moriarty was no fool. Holmes had suspected that he would not simply jump on a ship and sail off towards the Orient. Instead he would arrange for false trails, traps and red herrings. With that in mind Holmes had a plan to recruit Prince Dakkar, an Indian noble with an axe to grind against the British Empire. He also went by the name Captain Nemo and had a fabulous undersea craft called the Nautilus which Holmes intended to travel by.

The noble, the great and the good (and not so good) were to be present tonight in a stately dinner held in Queen Victorias presence. Hundreds of guests, a ball and a chance for Holmes and his unlikely allies to meet and convince Prince Dakkar to help them. Even as bad as he thought the British Empire was, an Empire of darkness headed up by a cadre of evil would cloak the world in darkness for decades or longer.

A pair of carriages came to collect the group. Spring Heeled Jack would stay close outside, probably on a rooftop and within range of the effect Penny transmitted.

Holmes took Carter and Gibb aside for a quiet word. "Nemo has contacts and resources in practically every country from here to China. If we can recruit him, we can find out where Moriarty is and what path he has taken and to where. The Grail is tied to this land. To snap that tether it needs to be taken far enough away. Once that is done they may be able to use its power for their own evil ends. I fear they are meddling with powers they cannot possibly control..."

OOC Just need that difficulty level (1 to 6) from you guys and we're good to go with the next stage of this time travelling caper.

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #11 with Special Guest Star Steeplejack! Tables_draft_v2_higher_resTHE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #11 with Special Guest Star Steeplejack! Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #11 with Special Guest Star Steeplejack! Empty Re: THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #11 with Special Guest Star Steeplejack!

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Jul 29 2020, 10:34

Admin wrote:OOC For me that fits with 90% Zoom using the Ctrl+Scroll of mouse...

Holmes took Carter and Gibb aside for a quiet word. "Nemo has contacts and resources in practically every country from here to China. If we can recruit him, we can find out where Moriarty is and what path he has taken and to where. The Grail is tied to this land. To snap that tether it needs to be taken far enough away. Once that is done they may be able to use its power for their own evil ends. I fear they are meddling with powers they cannot possibly control..."

OOC Just need that difficulty level (1 to 6) from you guys and we're good to go with the next stage of this time travelling caper.

Gibb nodded, to Holmes casting a glance at his erstwhile friend and partner...wow that sounded strange. At some point, he had crossed over not only in time but in friendship. Though he had not been part of the armed forces, he remembered his Dad, the original Steeplejack talking about the bond one builds with friends and fellow soldiers in war. And this certainly felt a lot like that. Although Carter, Haunt was a mystery to him, nonetheless he was a fast friend and true to the cause of protecting the people of England. And never more so did both the future and the past need their protection.

The thought of vampires, werewolves and wizards struck him as very Harry Potter and he didn't really have any understanding of magic, and then into all this he had come across the lovely Penny. What was that his mission, his work seemed all-consuming. To be honest he was quite content with his life as it was. There had been previous flings, the whole playboy role he felt forced to play at times to ally suspicion as to his nocturnal identity. He'd also gone through a series of hairstyles, he cringed at the ponytail in his early days. Today allowing his tight dark natural curls to be what he wore. He wasn't lax with his secret id, but with Mum and Dad went and no close relatives he wasn't quite so worried about his secret ID as he felt he had to be. But then came Penny, she wasn't of his time and him not of hers... he knew that when the time came to say goodbye it would be hard. That caught him by surprise - he'd been with many beautiful women, but something about Penny... But no, when the time came it was time it was all about time and doing the right thing. Still, there was no kidding himself it wouldn't be easy.

Bringing his mind back to the present, he focused on the task at hand. "I hope your right about this prince, Holmes. If he has no love for the empire, he'll not be easy to win over and indeed has every right to be suspicious. But perhaps we can yet persuade him to see that there are larger forces at work, 'the enemy of my enemy' and all that."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #11 with Special Guest Star Steeplejack! Empty Re: THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #11 with Special Guest Star Steeplejack!

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Jul 29 2020, 13:12

Bringing his mind back to the present, he focused on the task at hand. "I hope your right about this prince, Holmes. If he has no love for the empire, he'll not be easy to win over and indeed has every right to be suspicious. But perhaps we can yet persuade him to see that there are larger forces at work, 'the enemy of my enemy' and all that."

"Would it help or hurt to tell him I'm an American," Nick Carter says with a smile, "in both forms that is.  Sort of an international venture?  And worse, I'm an actor when not doing the daring doing as the Haunt?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jul 29 2020, 20:21

"It couldn't hurt." pondered Holmes. "It wasn't so very long ago that the British and Americans were at loggerheads. I dare say you may find common ground." added the Great Detective.

"Oh cheer up Watson! It's not all bad!" he said to the glum physician.

"Bad? What could be worse Holmes? Magic, Vampires, Werewolves...? The Holy Grail for heavens sake!?! And... with all due respect to those present... men - and women - who can do things beyond the extraordinary! It's shaken my faith in science to its very foundations!" blustered Watson.

"I dare say there will be more besides that give us cause to doubt our senses Watson. Trust me when I say I have thought disbelief and incredulity this whole time and still wonder if I will wake up with this all a dream..."

"Pfft Nightmare if things continue."

Holmes laughed and settled back in the carriage.

=========

Music played as the group were checked in to armed guards at the gates to Kensington Palace in the heart of London.

The place was awash with people in their finery.

"Mingle, keep your eyes and ears open and enjoy yourselves. We might have another chance for a while as on the morrow I hope for us to be on our way." said Holmes to Gibb and Carter.

The two time travellers were glad to have some female company though Carter did wonder about Mina Murray on his arm. She was, after all, a Vampire. She glanced at the orange sky of the recently set sun behind the trees and declined anything to drink. However she did seem... nervous. When asked she replied "There's... someone here. I ... my senses are dulled near Penny and this trinket practically makes me a mortal so I can't really be sure."

Penny slipped her arm in Gibb's proffered elbow crook and smiled at him. "The world may be going to a darker place than we migt hope for, but at least for now the company is good, the wine is free and the night is young!"

Watson came over to the group. "Ah, sorry to interrupt. This is an old colleague of mine. Doctor Henry Jekyll. He has wrote a number of papers on various subjects including the blood and of something called 'Adrenaline' which was recently discovered. Did I say it right Jekyll?"

The man, dressed in a tuxedo and a "large, well-made, smooth-faced man of fifty with something of a slyish cast" of appearance smiled tightly and replied. "I cannot claim the credit for that discovery my dear Watson though I am fascinated by the human bodies ability to produce this ... 'Adrenaline' in times of danger or of stress. Indeed, it may empower the human form to such feats and endeavours as to be truly astounding when compared to the everyman in the street."

Watson made introductions around and Jekyll was a gentleman, bowing to the ladies and with a tip of a top hat to the gentlemen. "You must excuse me, i fear. I came with a small party and would prefer they don't drain the wine reserves before I've had chance to sample her Majesties entire cellar..."

"Do I hear correct?" asks an American man passing by. The man has a Virginian accent and he addresses Haunt/Carter. "I am John Carter, sir, and recently arrived from my home in the Americas on a business trip here in London, England. Can you be a native of my homeland?"

Watson muttered "Another Carter? Are you related?"

The man - some six foot two and powerfully built with a deep tan and classic good looks - laughed in reply and shrugged. "I do not believe I have seen this gentleman before, and know only an American voice when I hear one! So far from home I felt obliged to make an acquaintance and see if your friend has adapted to the style and manner of speaking that the English use. I myself have struggled with the customs and the... manners... one must display to 'get on' in this society. Thankfully it appears that money talks and my business dealings saw me invited to this shindig, which is grand indeed."

"What business are you in Mr Carter?" asked Mina Murray. Watson made introductions all round and the American visitor greeted all appropriately.

"Oh, this and that. I made my money in gold, prospecting." he said and added "And since then have found that by diversifying into many other industries and developing business regions that one can grow the funds into many times their original amount. I was but a humble soldier and luck has transformed me into something else."

Penny smiled. "Tell me Mr Carter, how is Mars this time of year?" she asked vacantly.

Carter snorted a little wine and raised an eyebrow whereas Watson mumbled "Mars? Where on Earth is that? Doubtless in some American state."

Carter was about to answer when a 'ding ding ding' announced guests to their allotted tables.

OOC Feel free to mingle in with the conversations before it gets more interesting in the next few posts...

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #11 with Special Guest Star Steeplejack! Tables_draft_v2_higher_resTHE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #11 with Special Guest Star Steeplejack! Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jul 29 2020, 22:16

OOC GM Note to self...

HAUNT DIFFICULTY 3 HP 84

STEEPLEJACK DIFFICULTY 4 HP 84

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jul 30 2020, 17:10

"Oh, this and that. I made my money in gold, prospecting." he said and added "And since then have found that by diversifying into many other industries and developing business regions that one can grow the funds into many times their original amount. I was but a humble soldier and luck has transformed me into something else."

Penny smiled. "Tell me Mr Carter, how is Mars this time of year?" she asked vacantly.

Carter snorted a little wine and raised an eyebrow whereas Watson mumbled "Mars? Where on Earth is that? Doubtless in some American state."

Carter was about to answer when a 'ding ding ding' announced guests to their allotted tables.

"There is a Mars Hill in northern Maine, Dr. Watson," Nick Carter said smoothly, "but I believe Miss Harkness is referring to place much further away than that."

He smiles at the Virginia, "You will have to excuse the lady but she reads minds.  And with no insult intended, you will find that Dr. Watson is the most normal one of us here.  So you and your adventures will find fit company among us.  I hope you are one of the fine folks Mr. Holmes intended to recruit and if he hadn't planned on it, I will hope to change his mind.  And you needn't worry too much about your young nephew Edgar, he will flounder around looking for steady work for a bit longer before he finally finds the means to become quite wealthy."

ooc:  Edgar Rice Burroughs, in the stories, claimed that John Carter was his uncle which is why he received Carter's manuscripts and published them.

Last edited by DavidMcMahon on Fri Jul 31 2020, 14:58; edited 1 time in total
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jul 30 2020, 18:04

Admin wrote:OOC Feel free to mingle in with the conversations before it gets more interesting in the next few posts...

OOC: Sorry saw David's response but not the one before the HP talley above till Dave responded again...

John took Penny around noting that many a male guest took note of this ravishing young lady. Was it just him, or did she somehow seem to light up the room?

John kept an eye out for Prince Dakar, steering Penny away from any over inebriated lord or gent who felt his inhibitions lowered and his age forget his place. Turning to Penny, John continued to talk, "Well my dear this isn't entirely my idea of a fun night out, work and all that. But still, it's tolerable as long as you are here. He smiled. Man what was wrong with him, this wasn't going to make it easier if and when he had to leave.

Looking about he sort to smile and make polite conversation trying to bring his mind back to the task at hand. Although sociable by nature, in truth apart from the teams he worked with his life was all the front he maintained for the business and then the work he preferred to do. It had a way of creeping up on you, and sort of taking over. And before you know it, life was kinda over retiring and passing on the mantle as his father did to him, or to someone else who perhaps could carry the name and he could ease off into the sunset. Yeah right!

OOC: Ok keeping an eye out, making polite conversation and trying to be focused on what is going on not whom I'm with.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Aug 01 2020, 19:39

The Virginian paused at Nick Carters words and raised an eyebrow.

"You know... much of my history sir. Since I am a mostly private man I must therefore take you at your words where you are as you say. Minds you say?" he adds as Gibb/Steeplejack and Miss Harkness make their way through the gathering crowds making their way to long tables under covers.

"In truth sir, I am unremarkable. Only when I travel to another place... am I changed." he said. "Though a young lady who reads minds and a group of remarkable people - I count Mr Holmes and Dr Watson in that category - is a wonder to me and no doubt. I am due to return to America and from there hope to travel on."

The guests moved towards the tables and Watson looked about. "Where is Holmes, dash it?" he mumbled and looked at the sea of top hats and fine dressed ladies.

"Holmes?" you say?" said an accented voice.

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #11 with Special Guest Star Steeplejack! Bram-stokers-dracula

A well dressed man with noble bearing nodded in respect to Dr Watson and introduced himself. "Count De Ville, from Carpathia..."

Some paces back Penny gasped "Evil! Such evil!" she whispered, eyes wide in shock and looking at Gibb!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Aug 01 2020, 21:09

A well dressed man with noble bearing nodded in respect to Dr Watson and introduced himself. "Count De Ville, from Carpathia..."

Some paces back Penny gasped "Evil! Such evil!" she whispered, eyes wide in shock and looking at Gibb!

"WHAT ... what are you doing here," Nick Carter had almost yelled and then returned his voice down to normal conversation level. "Why are you not with your ally, Prof. Moriarty? And the fools to invite you into here! Begone before I destroy you, Dracula!"

ooc: Crud! Looks like a big fight in the Queen's dining room coming up! lol!
Though I could be wrong. study
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Aug 01 2020, 22:10

DavidMcMahon wrote:[b]

ooc:  Crud!  Looks like a big fight in the Queen's dining room coming up!   lol!
Though I could be wrong. study

Looking around as Gibb heard Haunt mutter the name Dracula, he looked for Mina, whom he both a strange attraction. But more importantly, she had an inclination toward stopping this fiend in his tracks so as to put him permanently into the ground. And truth be told, Steeplejack wasn't too keen on him either, not after what he'd seen unleashed.
Moving in front of Penny, Gibb said quietly, "Do you want to dance here or outside, I don't mind either way, but this is going to go badly for you - so play nice and surrender now hmmm, there's a dear boy."

Gibb took the opportunity to look about and see if he could find some wood to make a stage from which to put this fiend down permanently.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Aug 03 2020, 10:14

The place was busy, men and women moving around and the roar of voices competing almost drowned out their words but when the Count spoke it was with a smile.

"Perhaps you have me mistaken. I am... impressed that you..." he said to the American "Can somehow recognise me."

"As to my intentions? I am here to meet with the great and the good, and to make purchase of select properties in and around this most fabulous of western cities, London. Indeed, I have made a request to converse with the Queen herself and expect to receive her blessing."

Mina turned, having been conversing with someone in the crowd and gasped, hand to her mouth. "You... you are ..."

Dracula's own eyes widened and he seemed to grow even paler, even took a step backwards. "Can it be...? Elizabetha?" he gasped. He glanced at Carter and Gibb, then averted his eyes. "My... apologies for... I must... I..." he looked up at Mina and his eyes seemed to swell with moisture, lip trembling. "I am honoured to have met you, and we shall meet again, I feel. For now I beg to take your leave and compose myself for the meeting with your... your Queen."

The man was most unsettled, put out and wrong footed. With so many others around and walking past, hundreds of people, perhaps this was not the time for an all out brawl!

Holmes strode up. "Have you not heard the chime for dinner, gentle folk? I've had to come find you and..." he glanced at the looks on everyone's faces and turned to Dracula. "Ahhh the plot thickens. This is not the place nor the time to explore where the story leads. Your intentions sir?"

Dracula, with trembling lip, blinks and sucks in a breath then straightens. "Regardless of accusations made or reputations that precede, I have no ill intentions to anyone this night. I wish to go in peace. However, I am not alone, ever. Make your choice, gentlemen, and ladies, and perhaps we can instead enjoy a fine evening of entertainment regardless of what comes after." He seemed to have recovered some of his noble bearing but still looked flustered.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Aug 03 2020, 12:15

Admin wrote:The place was busy, men and women moving around and the roar of voices competing almost drowned out their words but when the Count spoke it was with a smile.

Dracula, with trembling lip, blinks and sucks in a breath then straightens. "Regardless of accusations made or reputations that precede, I have no ill intentions to anyone this night. I wish to go in peace. However, I am not alone, ever. Make your choice, gentlemen, and ladies, and perhaps we can instead enjoy a fine evening of entertainment regardless of what comes after." He seemed to have recovered some of his noble bearing but still looked flustered.

Gibb realised with some chagrin that though Carter and he would show restraint with so many bystanders about, the Count if backed into a corner might not. That was way too much chance for collateral damage to do be done here, and that was something he wasn't willing to risk.

"Until we meet again Count..." He added more loudly than was necessary an element of unmistakable warning in his voice.

OOC: I'd assume caution too much too many to harm, so for now we are at a stand-off.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Aug 03 2020, 12:47

"Holmes," Nick whispers in the man's ear, "we can't have him meet with the Queen! Even if we let him go now, if he meets the Queen, he could put her under his hypnotic sway and later make her one of his own! He has been invited here, so he can come and go as he pleases now. What I know of vampires is that they cannot enter a home unless invited, which he has!"

"Warn her or someone close to her!"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Aug 04 2020, 00:23

Holmes listened to Carter without glance or comment. "You talk of the supernatural again, and of this man being of that persuasion so I will heed your warning." muttered Holmes.

To the Count he bowed his head. "Tonight then there shall be no 'misunderstandings' sir. As rightly so given the occasion and the hostess."

The Count relaxed a little then bowed his head to Mina and Penny before turning his gaze on Carter and Gibb. "You gentlemen have piqued my interest. I am long lived and have met many remarkable people in that time but none such as you. There is ... strength in your blood... Perhaps one day I will experience how strong."

"Gentlemen. Ladies. A pleasure, an honour and I hope, one that is not long in being repeated." said the Count and his eyes lingered on Mina. "You madame, fire my blood like no other. Beauty such as yours is rare indeed that it dazzles one such as I. This has been an honour for me to have met you."

The man seemed to linger and finally turned to move smoothly away through the crowd. Even as Carter and Gibb watched the Count people moved in between their vision and the man and... he was gone from sight, somehow.

Penny shuddered. "Such darkness!"

"He infected my Jonathan..." hissed Mina, hate in her eyes.

Watson blathered "What on earth was all THAT about? Where are the drinks? The drinks, someone!" he called.

The group moved towards their allotted table with Holmes having gone off to try to gain an audience with the Queen. The ladies had their chairs pulled out for them as rows upon rows of finely dressed men and women sat on tables and conversed on many topics. The Heroes were for the most part together and Watson poured generous whiskies for all as he muttered about increasing strangeness...

"Dorian Gray, at your service." Introduces an extraordinarily handsome man who has the women all along the length of the table blushing and twittering behind fans and leaned into each other to whisper.

Penny glances at Gray and sighs. "Doomed."

OOC Let the evening go by at a sedate pace or push for information of the Count?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Aug 04 2020, 01:28

"Dorian Gray, at your service." Introduces an extraordinarily handsome man who has the women all along the length of the table blushing and twittering behind fans and leaned into each other to whisper.

Penny glances at Gray and sighs. "Doomed."

"Is every person I thought was a literary creation actually real," Carter mutters to Gibbs. "If so it probably means Lord Greystoke and his lady left for Africa around 15-20 years ago and Tarzan is going to become world news soon."

"Nick Carter," he says to Gray. "American detective, come to learn from Mr. Holmes."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Aug 04 2020, 10:39

Gray smiles and shakes Carters hand. "A pleasure. Doubly so if these ladies are in your pres..."

"Get lost. Now." snarled Mina, looking flustered and with blood red eyes. Gray blanched, took a few steps back and said "Oh! I haven't seen them in so long! I need to go... take me... leave..." he gulped.

Penny looked at her untouched drink. "In a way my presence has quelled the evil of the Count but there is no mistaking the misery, blood and death that follows in the man's wake."

"I don't know how my powers work or if they are powers or some strange circumstance of my being..." she sighed.

Mina settled back. "I for one am glad of your presence, Miss. You are like an icy wind blowing over my blazing soul." she said, placing a pale hand over Pennys and giving a gentle squeeze.

A 'ding ding ding' announced a hush and dying down of conversation. Then an "ALL RISE. HER MAJESTY, QUEEN VICTORIA, EMPRESS OF INDIA AND QUEEN OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE."

As one the crowd stood and bowed their heads as the Queen, by now an aged lady and not in good health, was led and helped to her seat at the head of the longest table, some tables away from where Gibb and Carter with their party were sat.

Haunts keen eyes noted Holmes was seated at the Queens table... and so was Count Dracula! Also sat on the table was a man wearing a turban with a darker complexion dressed in traditional formal dress of the British Raj, and behind him a hugely muscled man in a turban stood in attendance, thick arms folded across his powerful chest which was barely concealed by the white robes he wore.

Gibb looked to where Haunt was looking and noted the presence of the man they'd come to see. Prince Dakkar of India. Otherwise known as Captain Nemo, sworn enemy of the British Empire!

Watson slurred "Where the devil is Holmes!" to be hushed by people about and when the Queen sat he slumped into his chair and glugged down another glass of whisky before raising it on weak arms and wobbling about for another top up.

Music resumed, hushed conversation started to build and waiters flitted about with the starter, a soup and a prawn cocktail.

Cigars were lit, ladies laughed, glasses tinkled, feathers preened and it seemed a million miles away from a cloud of darkness settling over the land.

"Ahem." said a waiter behind Watson. Watson peered round, squinting. "'Ave you brought... a drink?" he mumbled.

"No sir, I am here to request the attention of Mr Gibb and Mr Carter."

At the mention of their names both looked up and saw the waiter was none other than Professor Thoth.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Aug 04 2020, 13:36

Admin wrote:"No sir, I am here to request the attention of Mr Gibb and Mr Carter."

At the mention of their names both looked up and saw the waiter was none other than Professor Thoth.

Gibb couldn't help exclaiming, "Thoth you old rogue, this is where you've been hiding, Constanza is not pleased and we could have done with your help much sooner. Do you see who is with the Queen?" He added subtly nodding in Dracula's direction, before adding "The grail man, we've got to recover the grail! So who is it that's suddenly requested to see us? We've hardly got time to dilly dally!"

Gibb was a man of action and it didn't take long before making nice with a room full of people, who could be used as leverage for the likes of the Count, made him irritable as he had to restrain himself from having it out with the Count once and for all. But he had to keep the mission in mind, Dakar was who they were here to see, and somehow he and more likely his smooth-talking partner Carter would have to put on one heck of a show to get the Prince on board to help them.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Aug 04 2020, 13:45

"Doctor Watson, you need to stop drinking," Nick Carter said to the drunken man, "you will shame yourself and the queen and Holmes if you continue.  I understand that you have a hard time dealing with all the strangeness that has come into your life but trying to drink your way out of your issues is not the way to go.  It is the path of destruction!"

He nods to the waiter Thoth.

"Been only a few days since we last saw you in the West, old man.  So, Constanza isn't a mule at this time?  Good show!  Well," he said, hoping that cleared up to Thoth which of the men present were the ones he knew before, "let's not keep the folks waiting.  Lead the way."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Aug 05 2020, 11:37

Thoth nodded, glancing about at the guests around who had heard the exchange.

"This way sirs, the Duke is waiting." said Thoth.

"Watson shall be fine." explained Thoth as he led the way through the tables. "That bottle of whisky is now a remarkable tonic that will cure all ills and remove various stains." he said with a wink. "How are you gentlemen? I would say, how have the eight or nine years been but I haven't passed that time and neither have you. I'm glad I know you in this time to be honest. The complexities of time and space mean sometimes I don't have a clue where the deuce I am and only Constanza, my partner, lover, familiar, anchor to reality... gives me any grounding in sanity."

Nearer the great house they approached guards at the door who were chatting and looking at each other. Without slowing Thoth and the heroes passed between them without a single glance or even an instance of knowing someone had moved between them.

Glancing up at the roof Thoth muttered "What strange company you keep gentlemen." with a reference to Spring Heeled jack perched on the roof near a chimney and well out of sight of most eyes.

Inside the building the group turned to the side and through a side door, down a corridor, through another door set into the oak panelled doors, down some stairs dimly lit by gaslight and along another corridor, ignoring doors along the way. Turning in the corridor and along another, they stopped at the door and knocked.

"Come." said an aged, stately voice.

"Gentlemen..." said Thoth. "Alfred, the Duke of Edinburgh."

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #11 with Special Guest Star Steeplejack! Alfred-duke-of-edinburgh

The room was large, book lined, oak panelled, sumptuously decorated but of course without any windows. Light came from gas lamps dotted about.

The man was in ceremonial dress and stood. "Gentlemen. I am Alfred, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, formerly Duke of Edinburgh." he walked around the table to shake the hands of the men and settled back against the huge oak desk.

"I'll get straight to the point. I am a LORE KNIGHT, appointed by the land to defend it against the threats that man was not meant to know about. Or rather I was. I retired some years ago and lost my special abilities but I remain responsible in any way I can for the lands' good health. The Lore Knights, if you do not know, are summoned from the populace to serve in an extraordinary capacity. The magic that supplies these people with abilities is not infinite and so there are ... gaps... between times when a band of Lore Knights may be raised. We are in a dark period. No Lore Knights and now... calamitous tidings... the Holy Grail has gone." come.

More corridors, walking, albeit at a steady space with the Duke in the lead - royals were never rushed - deeper and down, then a curious ride on an underground train below London. It lasted only minutes and they slowed to a stop at a heavily guarded platform with uniformed guards at attention. A richly dressed and decorated soldier saluted then lead the way down another corridor, through several thick iron doors - in some cases inches thick - and more guards.

They entered a large area, clearly a vault and partially emptied now with uniformed guards moving boxes of valuables away.

"Gentlemen. At some point in the last two days someone tunnelled into the vaults, ignored the fabulous wealth on show and stole a plain cup, unadorned with gems and set on a plain, worn stone plinth in the corner of the vault. Give us the room." he said to a soldier, and everyone left.

"This is Colonel James Beauregard DeHavilland of her Majesties most secretive service. Colonel."

"Thank you my lord." said DeHavilland.

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #11 with Special Guest Star Steeplejack! Hole-in-vault-wall

"You are bound by the official secrets act. Mr Lucas." he nodded at Professor Thoth "Has the highest confidence of the Queen herself and vouches personally for you. Mr Holmes has already visited the scene and his conclusions are disturbing. He mentions that you Mr Gibb, and you, Mr Carter are talented individuals of most exceptional quality and talent and therefore with the authority vested in me I now anoint you as secret servants of the crown and as secretum ab agente coronam. Only myself, the Duke and the Queen herself have authority above your station. You will be tutored - in a short time I can guarantee - of the signs and signals required to gain official state aid in any country of the world in which the British Empire has influence. That is to say, everywhere. You will want for nothing and shall receive all aid necessary to the conclusion of one goal. To retrieve the Holy Grail and return it here."

He looked about. "We followed the tunnel to its source. The ground looked to have been blasted, by a force focused as it was unstoppable. The very ground itself has been burnt through and it was impossible to approach because of the tremendous heat for hours afterwards. Mr Holmes offered his services immediately but refused the title of Secret Agent of the Crown because he resents title, honour or reward. Strange man, but utterly brilliant. He too, has vouched for you. Indeed, he has stated that only you two have any chance of anyone in the whole world of retrieving the grail."

"He also offered a disturbing suggestion - that we allign ourselves with the renegade Prince Dakkar. Dakkar refused our advances and so the Queen empowers me to impress upon you that concessions will be made to Dakkar's land of India if he aids you. The man has a most remarkable vehicle, but more than that. he has a network of spies and agents across Europe, Africa and the Middle East and deep into Asia. His reach is far, long, and wide. I can say... "and he pauses "that not only the Thieves have an interest in the Grail but also foreign enemy powers. The Russians, the French, the Japanese, the Italians and more besides. The Vatican itself has dispatched agents much like yourself. Yes, we know they have 'remarkable' men and women and more besides to call on. Our secret services has always looked outwards and on this occasion, looking inwards would have benefited us more. Persuade Dakkar to help."

He frowned, sighed, and ran hand through thinning hair. "The Duke is investigating whether anyone at the Earldom of CaerAlwyn - home of the Lore Knights - might help but without that, you two and your companions remain the best, only hope to stop a wave of darkness spreading across this land. Questions?"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Aug 05 2020, 14:30

"I'm an American, can I be made an agent of the Crown," Nick Carter asks as he, in reality, is an American who had spent years as an actor in England prior to becoming the Haunt.

"And has anyone warned you of Dracula?  His presence near the Queen at dinner was very very disturbing and dangerous.  Among his many abilities include hypnosis and mind control of a devilish kind."

"And with permission, I am going to examine the tunnel for clues that Mr. Homes might not be able to recognize due to the nature of what might have been used to tunnel in."

ooc:  Assuming I get permission to enter the tunnel, once inside, he will summon a Fog to hide himself in and use his self manipulation abilities to better examine the tunnel - changing his eyes to give him microscopic vision, changing his nose to give him a much greater sense of smell, ears to give him superhearing, etc.  I'm thinking a bloodhound with coke bottle glasses would do for all three.  Then a bat for sonar to sound out the tunnel for any openings behind the walls. Hence the fog to hide himself in, only need to extend it out 10-20 feet.  To cover all the bases, some animals are listed below.

THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #11 with Special Guest Star Steeplejack! Animal13
THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #11 with Special Guest Star Steeplejack! Lf10
THE NEW VANGUARD! HAUNT Issue #11 with Special Guest Star Steeplejack! Wscwoo10

Ultraviolet

Some animals can see ultraviolet light, which allows them to see important things humans can’t.

A few animals that can see ultraviolet light include:

Infrared

Some animals are able to see the infrared light other animals emit, which helps them find food.

Some animals that are able to see infrared light include:

Night Vision

Although humans can see in relatively dim light, many nocturnal animals can see very well in the dark.

Some animals that have exceptional night vision include:

Acuity

Several animals are able to see things in much greater detail than humans can.
Some animals with very good visual acuity include:

What Animals use radar?
Echolocation calls are typically based on the frequencies, intensity and the duration of the call. Animals use echolocation to navigate, avoid objects, and hunt for food. Echolocating animals include; Microchiroptera bats, whales, dolphins, Shrews, swiftlets, and oilbirds.

What animal has the best tracking ability?
Bear. According to the number of scent receptors, the bear has the best sense of smell of all terrestrial mammals. Black bears have been observed to travel 18 miles in a straight line to a food source, while grizzlies can find an elk carcass when it's underwater and polar bears can smell a seal through 3 feet of ice.

Which animal has strongest smell sense?
African elephants have strongest sense of smell in animal kingdom. LONDON: An elephant's sense of smell is legendary. But now, it has for the first time been scientifically proven that the African elephant has the most powerful sense of smell in the entire animal kingdom

In the entire animal kingdom, the duck-billed platypus, along with echidnas (ant-eaters), is the only mammal that can lay eggs. In addition to this unique ability, this animal has a highly developed sensor that can locate its prey (i.e., small invertebrates) through electroreception. Using their bill filled with sensors, the platypus can accurately detect the electrical impulses of their prey even in the deepest of waters.

While it is a widespread sense that everyone can feel the presence of fire, this tiny creature can smell and detect a burning pine tree that is ten miles away (as compared to an average human who can only detect at hundreds of feet)! There are three apparent reasons why the jewel beetles evolved to develop this character-first is mainly for food gathering, secondly is for ensuring the mating process, and third is securing the health of their eggs laid in pine trees.

Aside from being able to produce honey through the pollination of flowers, did you know that bees are incredibly hypersensitive that they can also sense the Earth’s magnetic field? Aside from that, they can also detect atmospheric electromagnetic waves that indicate thunderstorms. These abilities help bees in navigating flowers and determining whether a storm is approaching.

Spiders are one of the very few animals with a hyper-sensitivity to touch. By having massive numbers of hairs (known as trichobothria) on their legs, they are capable of detecting and tracing the origin of a vibration created by an object or another animal. As a result, hunting their prey becomes as easy as merely standing on their self-made web.

That's probably a lot of work for nothing but will be good for future clue findings.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Aug 05 2020, 14:48

DavidMcMahon wrote:Spiders are one of the very few animals with a hyper-sensitivity to touch. By having massive numbers of hairs (known as trichobothria) on their legs, they are capable of detecting and tracing the origin of a vibration created by an object or another animal. As a result, hunting their prey becomes as easy as merely standing on their self-made web.

That's probably a lot of work for nothing but will be good for future clue findings.

Gibb was happy to let Carter go off a "play" feeling that when it came to clues that the likelihood of him finding a clue that Holmes or Carter would miss, would be like trying to give a flea a hair cut with a pair of sheers. So instead he talked since that was what he was good at, in situations like this.

"Do you think that Prince Dakkar will respond favourably to our overtures? I am grateful that you've put such faith in us, but all your offering indeed all the Queen is offering wouldn't it be as, if not more, potent coming from you or her? I'm struggling to see how we might be of value in securing passage and assistance, though I have no doubt our talents will become useful when and if we can secure passage. After all, whatever did this, uses industry on a scale unseen or powers unheard of and given what I've seen of late perhaps even magic long forgotten. I've no doubt that we'll try our best to do what we can, for Queen, Country and the Empire. But I am unsure how we can best represent the Queen or her officially so well as those she already has loyal servants like yourselves much better versed in diplomacy than our humble efforts."

OOC: I'm filling in here, as I am not sure what else to do for the mo, I can see why we might be a good go-between but I think its good to have voiced this in character and be upfront about that. And I guess after Haunt has had a good look-see, sniff, we'd best make good on the occasion and go have a chat with Dakkar if he will so entertain the notion.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Aug 05 2020, 16:38

OOC Right this is a bit unusual. There is no 'Perception' skill as yet but given all the description that Haunt is describing, changing his eyes to microscopes, night scopes, sniffing stuff out, his fingers with featherlight touch able to sense imperfections and so on... when he 'does his thing' he really should be the greatest detective out there and put people like Elongated Man and Sherlock Holmes to shame with all his super powers AND his detective ability... Detective doesn't help you to actually find clues though it does help you to figure out what those clues mean.

So, Haunt in foggy bloodhound/clue sniffing mode can use his Self Manipulation power as a skill of sorts, still relying on his Int/Will as Perception but with extra dice granted by the power use. this is the first time I've ever suggested or done this but it may bear some future thought. For now he makes a perception check with 4 extra dice...

Int 8 + 4D special from power + Roll(6d12)+0: 9,3,7,10,9,9,+0 Total:18 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 8,6,+0 Total:32 (40) vs
OV10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 5,8,+0 Total:13 (23) +6 (to 14) vs RV10=4 RAPs

RAPs...
1) The Tunnel was 'carved' through the application of incredible heat, unavailable in this day and age normally
2-3) It's shape suggests a concentrated blast of incredible power and the straightness/dimensions of a near perfect round and high hole suggest a boring machine with some... means of burning through rock or something else...
4-6) Possibly a living creature as there is some scuffing on the rock floor and on the sides of chafing... and Haunt comes across... a scale, not unlike a snakes, assuming that the snake was about forty to fifty feet long!

Haunt examines the scale...

Int 8 + 4D Detective + Roll(6d12)+0: 5,10,12,2,2,9,+0 Total:22 (the double 2 is really iffy, seen loads of secondary poor rolls) (30) vs
OV10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 4,8,+0 Total:12 (22) +4 (to 12) vs RV10=2 RAPs

RAPs...

1) The scale is hard. Haunt's vast superhuman strength could break it... but it's certainly harder than steel and very thin/light. A suit of armour made out of this stuff would be impervious to all conventional guns and explosives.
2-3) The animal is came from does not come from the animal kingdom as such. The size of the scale gives no clear indicator of the true size of the beast - it might be a large or a small scale compared to the others on its body but the way it catches the light, it's lack of thickness, huge strength and - Haunt fashions a flamethrower - utter imperviousness to fire suggests some kind of large snake or ... or a dragon... made its way into the Queens vaults.

Steeplejack/Gibb is explaining to the Colonel that Diplomats are more likely to have success, which the man counters with "We've tried that, dear fellow. We've offered concessions, trade deals, titles, land... he has a bee in his bonnet for sure."

On the subject of Dracula he nods "ALL of the Queens guests are watched at all times, by specially trained agents. Extraordinary agents. The Queen is in little danger this night, eh Lucas?"

'Lucas' (Thoth) nodded "That's correct Colonel. The Queen is protected by a number of wards about her person and I have personally enchanted a number of weapons. If this Count tries anything a silvered, blessed blade shall cut his head clean from his body. We don't want that kind of drama though. The mere presence of a certain young lady will quell the Counts more ... base... urges, shall we say." he said with a nod to Gibb for bringing Penny into the fold.

All turned when the mysterious fog suddenly produced a FLASH and road of fire.

Lucas called out... "Are you alright in there Carter?"

The Colonel added "As for Carter being an American, we hold no grudges or restrictions when it comes to serving the Queen. When you hold the title, you're 'in the club'. For life. There are far, far more benefits than hindrances I can assure you."

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Aug 05 2020, 16:58

Admin wrote:Steeplejack/Gibb is explaining to the Colonel that Diplomats are more likely to have success, which the man counters with "We've tried that, dear fellow. We've offered concessions, trade deals, titles, land... he has a bee in his bonnet for sure."

Ignoring the noise from Carter, assuming he is just having fun with his skills and abilities and hopefully discovering something useful. Gibb nods to the earlier response and says, "Well, we have the advantage of coming from perhaps a blindside. We're not official in any capacity he knows of, Carter's an American so there's that in his favour and who knows maybe we can sweet talk him around, or perform some duty to which he is indebted to us. I'd rather win a man over to us, and trust in his freely offered goodwill than rely on fear or intimidation - far too many ways for a man to leave you high and dry. Er, sorry poor choice of words, where Dakkar is concerned.

More sure in his own mind of the needfulness of their mission and purpose in approaching the Prince, Gibb waited patiently for Carter to finish up, eager to get back to the banquet to speak to the Prince and see a pretty young lady he'd had the pleasure of escorting there.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Aug 05 2020, 17:16

Nick Carter, letting the fog drop away, comes out of the tunnel brushing off his clothes as he returns.  He smiles at the others, showing off the scale he found.

"The tunnel was made by a creature, not a machine, so I am going with dragon as the creature.  Not that I've seen all that many, come to think of it.  None actually.  It could be a salamander or some kind of lava monster but I still go with the classic of a dragon.  So Lucas, know anything about dragons?  If this scale is off a western or eastern dragon and you can tell, that might be a clue we can use to help track down Moriarty."

ooc:  Sometimes my brain freezes.  Prof. Wynde "fought" more like ran away from a dragon.  Miss Victory hasn't seen one yet.  I think Haunt has not seen one either but that's where my memory isn't clear.  The Advent may have had a dragon on its side but he can't remember and if they had one, would it have been a dragon or some kind of alien creature that looks like one?   pig
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Aug 05 2020, 17:29

OOC Right this is a bit unusual. There is no 'Perception' skill as yet but given all the description that Haunt is describing, changing his eyes to microscopes, night scopes, sniffing stuff out, his fingers with featherlight touch able to sense imperfections and so on... when he 'does his thing' he really should be the greatest detective out there and put people like Elongated Man and Sherlock Holmes to shame with all his super powers AND his detective ability... Detective doesn't help you to actually find clues though it does help you to figure out what those clues mean.

Yeah, Self Manipulation can be a bit weird and possible to "cheat" a lot with it, which I didn't realize until now.  Since it says you can shape your body into any object desired, splitting the APs of the power into Phys Attributes and powers of the object - so cars, planes, springs, walls, whatever.  So why not creatures, at least those we have stats and powers for?  That probably makes it more powerful than the Shape Change that Beast Boy has.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next