The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World War II - Putty Issue #2

2 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

World War II - Putty Issue #2 - Page 3 Empty Re: World War II - Putty Issue #2

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Mar 26 2011, 12:24

ooc: Is this a straight corridor or is there a bend in it somewhere?
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Mar 27 2011, 00:05

OOC You're in a long straight corridor section having walked a fair way (hundred metres maybe) down stairs and along a couple of corridors that did have bends in them. Still somewhere under the grounds of Buckingham Palace but a place no one is generally aware of save the monarchy and their trusted associates. That the Nazi knows about it suggests he has knowledge from the future, probably supplied by the group that kicked this whole process off when they went back in time with technology and superhumans to change history. Of course, the Vanguard are the stick in the spokes... If there is an explosion, the force field the Nazi is using will protect him and block a portion of the blast as it travels down the corridor towards Anyman, and of course Anyman is rather a lot tougher than your average Royalty Guardian, like Peterson. He's in a bad way and would not survive the blast.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Mar 27 2011, 00:32

CODENAME: ANYMAN
AGENT: LT. CMDR LANCE ALLARD

Growling in anger, Anyman grabs Peterson and runs for cover before the explosion goes off. He hopes his body will shield Peterson enough to survive the blast. And since the body of the Tiger-Man and the Nazi with the energy field are between him and the blast as well .... well, one just has to hope.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Mar 27 2011, 22:39

A terrific explosion fills the corridor, rubble and bricks raining down from above whilst clouds of dust boil outwards!

After a moment or two, Anyman glances underneath him. His back hurts like the devil, a pain he's felt before. Self consciously reaching a hand towards his face, he stops himself and instead groans with the effort of lifting rock that had fallen on him! The dust still clogs the place, but he stifles a cough and looks to Peterson.

The man has no face left.

Breathing through a ragged gash where his mouth should be, one eye covered with grotesque melted flesh and bone exposed everywhere, he sags bag, breath rattling from collapsed lungs...

"You ... MUST ... protect the... Queen! Take... this!" he said, holding a fleshless hand up and the rune engraved stick, around 8 inches long, like a baton. The blades were retracted now, but there wasn't a mark on it despite the acid and the rubble falling from above. "Protect... Queen... all costs!"

Then Sir Nathanial Thomas Peterson, Queens Guardian, died...

Every movement Anyman made threatened to bring in more of the collapsed roof, but he heard other movement from somewhere not to far away? The Nazi? The fiend was heading into the Queens chamber!

With a strain he stood, moving blocks and bricks away from his form, feeling the pain (OOC 7htk taken after dividers) that would have killed not only any normal man, but many superhumans too! The corridor was full of rubble, water poured in from burst mains above, whilst dust clogged the air and soiled the vision. Somewhere ahead he saw movement, but also saw the great vault door still stood! It was blackened, cratered and sizzled in a number of places, but to one side the brickwork had given way, and the Nazi had clawed his way inside! A glance down revealed the human hand of the once Tiger-Man, death reverting him to his natural state.

Anyman faced a cunning and resourceful foe - what other tricks did the man have up his sleeve?

OOC To the side of the great vault door there's a narrow 18" wide opening about 3-4 feet high. It's a squeeze, but Anyman should be able to get in there. There's no light issuing from the room though, and at any moment in the tunnel the rest of it could give way! Peterson is dead. He's given the hero his mark of office/weapon, which is a baton etched with runes and from which blades jut when the baton is twisted.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Mar 28 2011, 15:03

With a strain he stood, moving blocks and bricks away from his form, feeling the pain (OOC 7htk taken after dividers) that would have killed not only any normal man, but many superhumans too! The corridor was full of rubble, water poured in from burst mains above, whilst dust clogged the air and soiled the vision. Somewhere ahead he saw movement, but also saw the great vault door still stood! It was blackened, cratered and sizzled in a number of places, but to one side the brickwork had given way, and the Nazi had clawed his way inside! A glance down revealed the human hand of the once Tiger-Man, death reverting him to his natural state.

Anyman faced a cunning and resourceful foe - what other tricks did the man have up his sleeve?

OOC To the side of the great vault door there's a narrow 18" wide opening about 3-4 feet high. It's a squeeze, but Anyman should be able to get in there. There's no light issuing from the room though, and at any moment in the tunnel the rest of it could give way! Peterson is dead. He's given the hero his mark of office/weapon, which is a baton etched with runes and from which blades jut when the baton is twisted.

OOC: Lost track of what my health looks like currently.

Having no choice, Anyman crawls and stumbles over to the opening, baton in his hand, and squeezes through.

"This would be so much easier if you could shapeshift as I do," Putty complained in his head. "But I guess your body isn't strong enough to hold all my power."

"Fine! Just run me down as I fight for my life and for the Crown," Lance mutters back to Putty. "Way to keep my spirits up."

"Heh!" the other voice snorts.

actions: Once through the hole, look around and turn baton, opening up the blades. Think I'm going to need them.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 29 2011, 02:25

OOC I got your totals muddled with your future self. Anyman is on 35/46htk, Htc unchanged at 46.. Tsch, another reminder to update character sheets and post the WWII versions in the character sheet thread. Will do when I get up (it's 0200, just got in from work Shocked )

The dust hangs thick in the air in the room beyond, and the cold is intense! Frost glitters from the ceiling and walls, and on the machines that power a large central apparatus hanging from the roof and keeping a block of ice frozen. There are lights in the large room, and doors leading out at various points, presumably to other entrances/exits, but the dark shade of a figure in the ice dominates the place, as does the smell of formaldehyde.

Anyman holds the extended baton ready, waiting for his foe to show himself.

An echo of a voice rings out in the room. "I vas told zere is a sword in here. Instead I find... vat? Brass machines and a block of ice zet smells funny? Tell me vere ze sword is freak, und I vill leave you alive. Othervise I shell make you pay for ze attack on me earlier!"

The thick dust and darkness in the place didn't help, but it seemed his opponent was invisible as well! Grumbling to himself, Anyman scoured the darkness. If there were something he could say to draw the Nazi out, he would be able to knock his block off, but that might mean being vulnerable for a moment or two to the Nazis attacks.

"I only esk vun more time, you freak! VER IS ZE SWORD OF VEYLAND?" bellowed the voice. It echoed around the hall. The dust was settling now, and Anyman stifled a cough.

OOC The main area of the room is dominated by Queen Victoria in her icy tomb and the machines keeping her alive, all shiny brass and intricate. Around the vault door where Anyman slipped in through the break in the wall is a large cloud of dust, steadily settling. There are lights on in the place, but only the bare minimum in each corner, meaning the room is mostly dark. Putty recalls a machine on the wall that was described by Petersons descendant as "A dreamscope, invented by HG Wells and Jules Verne, who were no mere novelists, but accomplished inventors and members of the order in their own right." The Nazi is hiding, invisible in the room, but seems to be getting angrier. Saying the right (or wrong, whichever way you look at it) thing might well draw him out, or they may be something else Anyman/Putty can do...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Mar 29 2011, 14:22

The thick dust and darkness in the place didn't help, but it seemed his opponent was invisible as well! Grumbling to himself, Anyman scoured the darkness. If there were something he could say to draw the Nazi out, he would be able to knock his block off, but that might mean being vulnerable for a moment or two to the Nazis attacks.

"I only esk vun more time, you freak! VER IS ZE SWORD OF VEYLAND?" bellowed the voice. It echoed around the hall. The dust was settling now, and Anyman stifled a cough.

OOC The main area of the room is dominated by Queen Victoria in her icy tomb and the machines keeping her alive, all shiny brass and intricate. Around the vault door where Anyman slipped in through the break in the wall is a large cloud of dust, steadily settling. There are lights on in the place, but only the bare minimum in each corner, meaning the room is mostly dark. Putty recalls a machine on the wall that was described by Petersons descendant as "A dreamscope, invented by HG Wells and Jules Verne, who were no mere novelists, but accomplished inventors and members of the order in their own right." The Nazi is hiding, invisible in the room, but seems to be getting angrier. Saying the right (or wrong, whichever way you look at it) thing might well draw him out, or they may be something else Anyman/Putty can do....

"Dammit! Shut up," Anyman whispers somewhat loudly, hoping he is whispering loudly enough for the Nazi to hear but not so loudly he would consider it a trick. His acting skills are getting a workout at the moment. "As long as he doesn't know I'm actually carrying the sword and doesn't realize the sword doesn't have to look like a sword, we have a chance against him."

"Are you talking to me," both voices in his head ask.

"Shut up! It's a trick," he mutters even lower this time, hoping he isn't heard this time.

Anyman moves to where the dust is the thickest - in the air and on the ground. If he is fighting an invisible man, then the dust may help him see the man's outline when he attacks and give him a better chance against him.

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 30 2011, 00:21

Was that a sharp intake of breath? Anyman looked about from the corners of his eyes. The dust was thick in several places. He moved steadily, as if stalking, to where it was less gathered, then towards where it had gathered thicker on the ground and in the air. Constantly looking about, but glancing at the floor and the dust in the air rather than actually looking for his foe, he half closed his eyes... listening...

There. A footstep. Two. Reacting casually, he skimmed his vision around again. The swirl of dust caught his attention, and... THERE! A footstep in the dust! his foe WAS invisible!

Question was... would he strike out blind and hope to strike true, or wait for his foe to strike then counter attack? He'd gotten his enemies' attention - he would be coming for the 'sword' held in his hand. Then he looked down again and frowned, holding it up. Turning it one way would release a blade at either end. Turning it the other? And the runes... ancient, from a time when pagan magic was thick in the air. This WAS the sword of Wayland the Nazi was after! The realisation seemed to change something in the weapon. The runes glowed and with a 'snick' a cross guard, made of the same wood as the pommel, sprung out. He imagined it wrapped in Leather, and with some kind of metal adornment on the end, added as decoration but not really necessary. A twist in the opposite direction, and the blade would eject... and once more it would become a fabled sword of Wayland!

Just then, a ghostly voice echoed through the chamber "My knights descendant must have the weapon. Not to guard me, but to guard the realm! The Knights of Lore must ride again!"

"Gott in himmel!" spluttered a voice to the left and behind Anyman somewhere...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Mar 30 2011, 13:23

Question was... would he strike out blind and hope to strike true, or wait for his foe to strike then counter attack? He'd gotten his enemies' attention - he would be coming for the 'sword' held in his hand. Then he looked down again and frowned, holding it up. Turning it one way would release a blade at either end. Turning it the other? And the runes... ancient, from a time when pagan magic was thick in the air. This WAS the sword of Wayland the Nazi was after! The realisation seemed to change something in the weapon. The runes glowed and with a 'snick' a cross guard, made of the same wood as the pommel, sprung out. He imagined it wrapped in Leather, and with some kind of metal adornment on the end, added as decoration but not really necessary. A twist in the opposite direction, and the blade would eject... and once more it would become a fabled sword of Wayland!

Just then, a ghostly voice echoed through the chamber "My knights descendant must have the weapon. Not to guard me, but to guard the realm! The Knights of Lore must ride again!"

"Gott in himmel!" spluttered a voice to the left and behind Anyman somewhere...

"You said it buddy," Anyman agreed, kicking himself when he realized his trick wasn't a trick at all!! "I don't have room for another voice in my head!"

Twisting the pommel to make the blade come out, Anyman then leaped to his left and behind to attack the invisible Nazi.

actions: Activate sword, attack with remaining frames.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 31 2011, 11:57

With a 'snick' the blade extended from the pommel and became an ultra lightweight (at least in Anymans hands) sword with a blade that seemed to swell and grow instantly. It was an eerie effect - the metal rod that extended became a flattened sword blade in the blink of an eye!

The Nazi had an idea what was coming though. "You have it? I will.. no, wait!"

The sword crashed through his force field and slashed into the mans shoulder. He fell to the ground, crying out, thrust out a hand to use his energy attack to parry, and instead found his hand severed as a blade scythed through it!

Falling back, he cried out, trying to turn invisible as he faded into view, but failing. "Kill me!" he spat, blood frothing from his mouth as he clutched his injured hand to his chest. "There are hundreds more like me! An army that will sweep across your feeble island like a wave, smashing all before it! That sword you hold? A mere trinket! I...unnngh... I will know nothing other than my mission, to secure that toy you wield against me!"

"The sword is one of the seven swords of Wayland. Kept and guarded by the knights who guard me, the one you yield, Orias, must now pass into the hands of someone who will use it to defend my blessed realm!"
echoed the voice throughout the chamber. The Nazi looked about. "WHO.. WHAT is that?"

Anyman looked over. He knew that Queen Victoria yet lived - barely - entombed in ice until the Grail was found. The Grail! Could that be another weapon to use against the Nazis? Though if it should fall into their hands... Speaking of which. He saw the one handed Nazi start to crawl away, towards the exit, leaving a bloody smear across the floor. What would Anyman do with him, the sword, and the guarding of the Queen?

OOC No contest. Anyman with a magic sword? Ha! you laugh at his puny Htk forcefield. You have in your hands Orias, one of the swords of Wayland, and potentially, the tool to reform the Lore Knights to defend the realm, who could be a powerful ally for the Vanguard...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Mar 31 2011, 12:16

Anyman looked over. He knew that Queen Victoria yet lived - barely - entombed in ice until the Grail was found. The Grail! Could that be another weapon to use against the Nazis? Though if it should fall into their hands... Speaking of which. He saw the one handed Nazi start to crawl away, towards the exit, leaving a bloody smear across the floor. What would Anyman do with him, the sword, and the guarding of the Queen?

OOC No contest. Anyman with a magic sword? Ha! you laugh at his puny Htk forcefield. You have in your hands Orias, one of the swords of Wayland, and potentially, the tool to reform the Lore Knights to defend the realm, who could be a powerful ally for the Vanguard....

"The Queen speaks," Putty said simply in Anyman's mind. That jarred Anyman enough that he quickly kneeled in front of his sovereign.

"Your Majesty," he murmured then got to his feet. He deactivated the sword, marvelling at how weapons of great power always seemed to find him. Maybe the others from the "proper" future could tell him about them and who uses or will use them?

He then moved over and grabbed the bleeding Nazi. Tearing part of the uniform off the man, he made a quick torniquet to keep him from bleeding to death. Putting the baton in his coatpocket, he picked up the Nazi by one hand and exited the chamber and went back up the way he came, looking to see who had survived.

"Maybe you won't talk and maybe you will," he said to the Nazi in his grip. "Any maybe we have our own psychics who can get the truth from you, will you or nill you."

ooc: Anyman is going to have to stay at the Palace for a bit. Going to have to get DICE there to guard the Queen and reset the door and hide the place again. Have to keep all the "normal" troops out while waiting for them to show and do that so the secret won't spread any further than it has to.

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Apr 01 2011, 10:40

DICE weren't long to arrive. A 'clean up' team of Peelers quickly made the place secure, and outside, the air raid sirens at last fell silent. Fastback had found and taken out the goons who were shelling the palace, and based on information gleaned from them, the London based criminal Henry Crypps would now be on the run for inciting treason! As the trussed and chloroform induced comatose Nazi was bundled away through a back entrance by the suited bowler hatted men, General Dawson looked about the chamber, marvelling at the fact that Queen Victoria was kept artificially alive. "Remarkable." he said, frost misting his breath. "This must, of course remain the most top secret. any word of this gets out and ... what am I saying? The Nazis of course know where all this is. They'll try again." he said, smacking a fist into his hand.

"Perhaps." echoed a voice from across the chamber. Though Anyman didn't flinch, Dawson and three Peelers reached for guns. "Relax Gentlemen. My name is Arthur Peterson. My eldest son died her tonight. I'm here to continue his legacy. This is my nephew" the old man said - and he was old, probably in his seventies - and Peterson stepped aside for a young man in his twenties to come forwards. Muscular, athletic, bright eyed and handsome, he nonetheless had the swagger of youth about him, as if he were able to take on the world. "My family has been one of those entrusted to the care and protection of her Majesty the Queen. I trust that the words we speak here will go no further? Gentlemen, Britain faces her darkest hour. Before the turn of the last century, a most holy relic was stolen from the Queens possession by, for what of a better word, a witch. Yes, magic is real. It exists."

He looked at Anyman. "You know, don't you?" he smiled. "When I see you, I see one person, a shifting slippery grey shape, and a large figure cast in shadow. I devoted my life to the mystic arts and you get to know certain things. My son will be buried quietly in the family plot. He did his duty, but he failed to protect the Queen. I thank you for stepping in, Mr Allard" he said, chuckling as he mentioned Lances' real name having not been introduced "but we face times unlike any other. The protection of the Queen is paramount, but she has expressed her wish that the Nation come first."

He turned to the young man beside him. "I'd like you to hand the sword to my nephew, sir. I will also arrange for the Queen to be moved. There are other Royal Palaces and sites set up in waiting, but this was a pivotal moment in history, I can feel it." He looks about, running an old hand over polished brass instruments. "The Nazis were meant to win. They would take the sword, plant explosives in here and bring the whole Palace down. The shock to the Nations Psyche would be a bitter blow, and despite a change of leadership soon to come..."

"You mean Chamberlain? The PM's still..." said Dawson, but was silenced with a wave of the old mans hand.

"...it is necessary. Remember 'Peace in our time?' The words will haunt Neville Chamberlain to his deathbed as Hitlers goose stepping hordes trample across Europe. As I was saying, here, today, was to be the start of the downfall. Now? The future is unclear, muddy. The 'undiscovered country', so to speak." he chuckled. "Know this though. The Nazis have psychics and mystics of their own. They have technology that boggles the mind. They have superhumans, like Mr Allard here, and they have the will to use them. My brothers son, Harrison" he said, referring to the young man beside him "Has already signed up for the Navy. See to it please General that he is mustered out honourably."

"Now just wait a..."

"He will be one of the new superhumans for your army. He must first travel to a place in Wales though, a small village named Caer Alwyn, to be Knighted by someone known as 'The Fallen Knight'. I'm afraid the dreams I receive don't shed too many details, but this 'Knight' is a young boy, around 10 years old. He is surrounded by hundreds of men all garbed in black, and a fearsome creature standing over them all, like the one near Mr Allard here." he said, eyes glistening as he looked at Lance, or rather, slightly past him.

"The mortal sees us. He is under the influence of several drugs, and the cancer in his lung is spreading. He does not have long." rasped the inner voice.

The old man looked up, smiling. "I'm aware of that."

Dawson frowned, looking about, then shrugged. "Suppose I believe you? Your nephew goes to Wales, becomes a ... Knight?"

"Lore Knight"

"Lore Knight. Then what? He is just one and we have a training facility that will hopefully churn out tens, even hundreds, in the dark days ahead!"

"He will find more. There will be seven. And their power will be concentrated against the mystical enemies that man was not meant to know about. Your Vanguard will have the heaviest burden, but the Lore Knights will battle evil in a different way. Even going so far as to provide light where there is shadow?" he turned to Allard, raising an eyebrow. The words struck home somewhere within him, and an image flashed across his sight. Screams, London in flames, the country in ruins, shadow creatures chasing down the last of the living, feeding from their despair before snuffing them out, and the same scene across the world, until the Earth remains a shadow shrouded husk, a playthings for demons from another dimension!

Dawson shrugged, turning to Allard "You've not got long. The Chiefs of Staff have cancelled all other missions, including the one I set you hours ago to find that Nazi Major. The B.E.F. has been pushed back hard towards the coast of France. Even now they are under attack from flying machines our guns can't hurt! We have only a day or two before they get to the coast and make a stand. You will be needed, as will all your colleagues, and god help us all." he turned to the old man. "Peterson, I don't know why, but I believe everything you've said. You'll have what you need, and freedom to act in the best wishes of the Queen and the Country.I haven't time or the resources to allocate to you...

"No need." explained the old man. "My order is centuries old and pays for it's toys with ancient gold and artifacts dating back to the dawn of civilised man. Just keep your people out of the way, and we'll aim for the same goal - the end of the Nazi terror!"

Dawson nodded, turned to Anyman. "Take the youngster to Wales, then get back here as soon as you can Commander."

"It's time to go to war."

OOC Any questions, comments, plans etc, feel free to fire away. I asked you a while back if you fancied taking on another character (as well as Anyman), this time in the Lore Knights. He (or she!) will act independently of the Vanguard and go on different adventures. That's up to you, so I'll leave you with that Smile

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Apr 01 2011, 16:59

Dawson shrugged, turning to Allard "You've not got long. The Chiefs of Staff have cancelled all other missions, including the one I set you hours ago to find that Nazi Major. The B.E.F. has been pushed back hard towards the coast of France. Even now they are under attack from flying machines our guns can't hurt! We have only a day or two before they get to the coast and make a stand. You will be needed, as will all your colleagues, and god help us all." he turned to the old man. "Peterson, I don't know why, but I believe everything you've said. You'll have what you need, and freedom to act in the best wishes of the Queen and the Country.I haven't time or the resources to allocate to you...

"No need." explained the old man. "My order is centuries old and pays for it's toys with ancient gold and artifacts dating back to the dawn of civilised man. Just keep your people out of the way, and we'll aim for the same goal - the end of the Nazi terror!"

Dawson nodded, turned to Anyman. "Take the youngster to Wales, then get back here as soon as you can Commander."

"It's time to go to war."

OOC Any questions, comments, plans etc, feel free to fire away. I asked you a while back if you fancied taking on another character (as well as Anyman), this time in the Lore Knights. He (or she!) will act independently of the Vanguard and go on different adventures. That's up to you, so I'll leave you with that

"Yes sir," he says to General Dawson.

He then twists the baton, revealing it to actually be a sword and hands it over to Harrison Peterson, hilt first.

ooc: I'm willing to play another character if you have the time to create a whole new storyline for brand new characters. Just don't want you to burn out by trying to do too much.

Be kind of weird to play Lord Justin St. John's great-uncle aka Morningstar but willing to do that or play another one of the Lore Knights of WW2. I don't remember much about the guy beyond what we found on the old Lore Knights site, along with a "photo" of him as both a younger and older man. I remember his weapon did not look like Justin's as the "magic sword" changed into whatever that person was most comfortable with = hence his name Morningstar. He also had a flying horse and he picked up a kid sidekick or two, over the decades of his term as a Lore Knight, who were always called the Squire - and few of them reached their majority too. Crying or Very sad

But this new timeline ... a lot of that history goes by the by.

But I'm willing to do it.

Now what was his noble title? Lord of Caer Wynd? Lord St. Johns? I forget how you Brits call your nobles. flower
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Apr 02 2011, 20:41

OOC Before I update, just to let you know - the 'Lore Knights' game will be run a little differently in that I want to use different game mechanics (a house ruled DC Heroes game, or maybe something more modern, like BASH! or ICONS! just so long as it's nothing to do with Mutants and Masterminds and D20, which I don't get on with). It will be paced differently, so the main story revolves around the Vanguard and the Lore Knights pop up to do an adventure every now and again before getting back on with their lives (and therefore, as you suggest, me avoiding burnout). With regards game mechanics, you'll not need to worry - I'll sort those out, and the same characters will be ported over to whichever system we try next, along with a brief 'this is how it works' for anyone who doesn't have that game.

For instance, the DC Heroes game has everything resolved with a roll of 2D10, with an 'acting value' vs an 'opposing value' setting the target number to equal or exceed, and an 'effect value' vs a 'resistance value' to state how well the character succeeded (or not). For instance Anyman might have a Dexterity of 7 (a normal person would have 2) against a Nazi metahuman with a Dex of 5. Quick check on the table reveals 7 vs 5 requires 9 or more on 2D10 to succeed for Anyman, whereas 5 (Nazi) vs 7 (Anyman) would mean the Nazi requires 13 or more to succeed, making Anyman a much better fighter than his foe. I should think so too Smile Where the player comes in is the use of hero points to temporarily boost a value to make rolls easier, or increase damage, make rolls harder for the opponent or absorb damage. I think it's a fast system that would cover all our respective bases, but as mentioned, the mechanics will be 'behind the scenes' unless you feel comfortable with the system - simply state what you want to do and I'll sort the rest out. More details when it's set up.

The only reason I'm doing this is that the Squadron UK game feels somewhat long in the tooth and without some major surgery, it will be low-mid power level at best (e.g. energy blasts are ok, but everyone does the same damage (7d6 for quick blast, normal blast at 10d6 or 15d6 with high power blast) regardless of grade. So the Wasps sting does the same damage as Supermans heat vision or Silver Surfers energy blast, or Human Torchs' fiery blasts? Hmmm.) and at some point the game will transcend earthly limits (though only with agreement of the players). The DC heroes game (and possibly others which we'll try) might do a better job, faster and easier, than the SQUK game, which has its own charm and feel, but is in need of updating. More later.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Apr 03 2011, 00:14

Peterson took the sword, expecting something dramatic to happen...

Nothing. With a shrug he said "Nice weapon. But archaic. Wouldn't fancy me chances against a Nazi and a machine gun!" he laughed, but no one joined in. "Ah well, whatever floats ya boat. Let's get on wi' it."

Old man Peterson laid a creased map out on a table, explaining the location of the village of Caer Alwyn in Wales. "The local lord, Betrand St John... though... I must confess, that was some thirty years ago. May well have changed hands since then. Anyway, the St John family have long been custodian over the village and lands surrounding the old ruined castle at Caer Alwyn. Aside from a tourist attraction there's little of interest for the common man - or Nazi - there, but we know different. Under the stately home there are tunnels leading to the catacombs underneath the Castle proper. It is there you must take the sword. All I know if what I've been told. St John was a good man, back in the day, even if he did turn down an offer to serve a stint as guard to the Queen. Reckoned that the pile of ruined stones was more important, and told me some tale of ancient knights summoned to wield the swords of Wayland and 'defend the land from that which men was not meant to know about'. To be honest, I thought it was baloney, but then the man on the street would consider this chamber, and all that resides within it much the same."

He sighed, sitting back and the weight of his years hung on him. "We're at a crossroads, and every direction from here is dark and filled with shadow. All I know is that my visions led me here today to speak to you and see the passing of the sword. My son and I knew his fate was sealed years ago. I gave up trying to persuade him to step aside and let another take up his role, and we met last week for a final meal, to converse about our lives and times, and my hopes and fears for the future." At last the old mans voice broke. "We couldn't talk of his. We knew then his future ended here, tonight, in service of the Queen."

"His sacrifice shall not be forgotten!" boomed a stately voice around the chamber. "His spirit, and the others who have wielded that weapon in our service will live on in our hearts and our memories!"

A Peeler, looking somewhat overawed by the room and the occupants, spoke up having approached quietly. "Sir. Thunderclap is recovering and Fastback has apprehended the criminals. There'll be people down here soon and questions to answer. We should get started evacuating..." he glanced at the block of ice and the shadowy figure within.

With a last look at the Queen the old man nodded and turned. "To Caer Alwyn, noble sirs!"

=========

Private Greene leaned against the car outside as the snow came down...

The growling V12 Merlin shook the floor and rattled windows nearby, whilst fires still quietly burnt in the grounds of the Palace. Soldiers ran here and there, putting fires out and effecting makeshift repairs. "You sure know how to make a mess of the place when you throw a party Commander!" she laughed as she uncrossed her arms and casually saluted. "Who's your friend?" she asked, referring to Harry Peterson.

Slipping into a natural rogueish charm Peterson smiled and winked at Greene as he stepped up to the car. Running a hand along the bonnet he lowered his head and had a listen. His face changed as he realised what was under the hood, even if he couldn't quite believe it!

"Hands off!" snapped Greene. "And get in! Traffic will be mad round here soon, and even leaving this thing running for more than 5 minutes in one place will have the fans spinning like mad to keep it cool!"

Peterson glanced at the wooden stave in his hand, blade retracted now, then at Anyman. "Lady has an attitude. Matches the car I suspect!" With a growl and sound like thunder bouncing off cliff walls the car spun about and blasted through the ruined gates, scattering soldiers and roaring off into the night!

=========

Having stopped off at an Airfield to refuel, the car pulled up finally as dawn broke...

The idling car was parked up on a hill overlooking the village. A large Celtic burial mound dominated the place, though a ruined castle ran it close second. The mansion set in well tended grounds had a number of lights in the windows - someone was home at least. The rest of the village seemed peaceful, quiet, and it was hard to imagine a war was going on.

"Right! I'd best be getting back! This thing needs servicing regularly to keep from rattling to bits!" explained Greene. "I'll see you later Commander. call DICE HQ when you need picking up." she said, then glanced at Peterson, who gave her a cheeky smile. "Less I see of YOU the better!" she said, scowling, though she glanced back at the handsome young man and shook her head with a smile on her face as she dropped into the drivers seat.

"Real spitfire that one!" laughed Peterson, before he turned to the village. "What's that? A pub? What's it say.. 'the Kings Dozen'? I'm famished after that drive! What say we wet our whistles before heading over to the mansion and seeing what passes for boss of this place and figuring out what to do with this sword?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Apr 03 2011, 00:37

"Right! I'd best be getting back! This thing needs servicing regularly to keep from rattling to bits!" explained Greene. "I'll see you later Commander. call DICE HQ when you need picking up." she said, then glanced at Peterson, who gave her a cheeky smile. "Less I see of YOU the better!" she said, scowling, though she glanced back at the handsome young man and shook her head with a smile on her face as she dropped into the drivers seat.

"Real spitfire that one!" laughed Peterson, before he turned to the village. "What's that? A pub? What's it say.. 'the Kings Dozen'? I'm famished after that drive! What say we wet our whistles before heading over to the mansion and seeing what passes for boss of this place and figuring out what to do with this sword?".

"I think she likes you too but being her superior, I would never say such a thing on the record," Anyman says properly. "Hang on, let me change my appearance so folks don't wonder about a man with bandages on his face."

With a quick thought, Anyman changes into the older, now dead Peterson.

"I know," he says to the gasping man. "But I thought one final mission for your brother would be appropriate. So in we go for a drink or two.!"

He leads the way to the pub.

"What HO! Any Nazi spies landed here about lately," he asks, stepping into the pub.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Apr 03 2011, 23:14

Peterson watched Allard morph into the form of the now dead man who'd sought to defend the Queen the previous night. "Cousin actually, and that's... unnerving. I have to say, I tried to dissuade him from doing his duty, but he wouldn't hear of it. Knew he was going to die, said I'd be next to carry the sword and... well, here I am."

He watched the car disappear down the narrow country lanes and shook his head. "She's a wild one, for sure!" he said with a grin.

The pair strode down the hill and into the village towards the inviting glow of the Pub. "Open all night! The locals know how to party around here!"

Striding in, they saw the remnants of a party. Most of the revellers were sprawled across tables, some were curled up on the floor, others still singing drunkenly in the corners and the smell of unwashed bodies was strong. A hand painted banner declared "ALL THE BEST JULIE AND GRIFF!" and the happily married couple appeared to have retired, leaving their relatives to sleep off a full night of drinking.

Allard called out "What HO! Any Nazi spies landed here about lately?" and was shushed by the Barman who was himself nursing a serious hangover, clutching a wet towel to his head. "Not so loud sir!" he exclaimed. "Why, if it isn't Mr Peterson! Come to see the Lord again have you? Lord St John will be pleased to see you sir, he reckons there's a storm brewin', but there ain't nowt been said on the wireless aside from more bloody snow!"

Harry glanced at Allard, shrugged, and sat down. "Two pints mate." he requested "Mind if we help ourselves?" he asked, gesturing to the still half laden table of food along the back wall. The Barman, who name was Glynn Scuddard, absently waved permission and continued pulling two pints. "Must admit, the old Lord is gettin' a bit eccentric these days but the landed gentry are likened to do that, and welcome to it if they're owt like our one. Him and his have been the life blood of this village and resisted all attempts by the Parrish council to be swallowed up as part of other villages into a larger town. he wouldn't hear of it, and too right if you ask me!" He walked over to the table to place the drinks down and nudged a snoring reveller on the floor with his boot. "Oy, Judd! Be up wi' ya! I ain't explainin' to ya missus why you ain't opened the shop today!" The man smiled, and groaned as the landlord helped him up, then helped don his coat and send him on his way. "What was that you said when you come in, anyway? Nart sees? What you on about? There have been some new faces about though. Small group, didn't want to stay, said they were studying the ruins. Academic looking types though they had a few in trenchcoats and the like with them. City types, though one or two looked like they were 'andy in a tussle. Oh yeah, and one o the older blokes looked like he'd fallen down the stairs at some point. Proper roughed up he was, black eye an that."

Harry Peterson raised an eyebrow, then looked with a shrug over to Allard.

"That were yesterday mornin'. Course, we were a bit busy, wi' the weddin' an all so I sent 'em on their way. Probably more university types come to find the supposed caves under the keep! Ha! Better men and woman, if I recall, than them have tried an' failed! I coulda saved 'em some time by pointin' 'em in the direction o' Lord St Johns manor but I didn't like the sound of one of 'em. Blond he was. Bit of an accent too. Couldn't place it. Piercin' blue eyes and he looked ready fer a scrap. I didn't want no trouble or I'd have offered him out, used to box a bit I did!" he said, before starting to move around the pub, waking patrons.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Apr 04 2011, 01:50

Harry Peterson raised an eyebrow, then looked with a shrug over to Allard.

"That were yesterday mornin'. Course, we were a bit busy, wi' the weddin' an all so I sent 'em on their way. Probably more university types come to find the supposed caves under the keep! Ha! Better men and woman, if I recall, than them have tried an' failed! I coulda saved 'em some time by pointin' 'em in the direction o' Lord St Johns manor but I didn't like the sound of one of 'em. Blond he was. Bit of an accent too. Couldn't place it. Piercin' blue eyes and he looked ready fer a scrap. I didn't want no trouble or I'd have offered him out, used to box a bit I did!" he said, before starting to move around the pub, waking patrons

Lance Allard looked back at Harry and sighed.

"You know, just once I would like to go just two days without some kind of trouble," he groused quietly. "But I guess that's not to be. Two days, is all I ask!"

"I would prefer them to be a Saturday and a Sunday. Saturday so I can spend the whole day with my girl and Sunday so I can go to church and repent what I did on Saturday, assuming my gilr let's me do anything I should repent of!"

Peterson snorted.

"If that's the kind of life you lead then we better fill up our bellies as quick as we can," he said in return. "Who knows when we will be able to eat again?"

"Too right!"

Lance got to filling his plate, piling it high with whatever still look edible and then set too.

"Do you know where those men went," he asks the Barman on his next round to wake the men up, his mouth full of food, proving he had gone hungry a time or two. Sometimes, acting doesn't pay well.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Apr 04 2011, 22:39

The Barman shrugged. "Probably where they all go. Rooting about the ruins for some kind of hidden doorway to the 'supposed' underground caves, or down to the beach to check the caves out. Problem is, some of those are pretty deep and when the tide comes in they fill up! Lord St John humours them for the most part - it's good for the local economy to have historians come down here, and tourists, but with the war goin' on and all..." He shrugged, got on with collecting glasses.

"So.." said Peterson. "Who are...were you? All I know is that you are someone that works for the top secret DICE lot and my uncle says you're a bit hard, like."

Whilst the two chit-chatted the pub livened up around them with recovering revellers getting to their feet, laughing off their terrible hangovers and leaving to go home and change, or go back to bed at any rate. Outside, the village of Caer Alwyn started to waken...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Apr 05 2011, 02:59

"So.." said Peterson. "Who are...were you? All I know is that you are someone that works for the top secret DICE lot and my uncle says you're a bit hard, like."

Whilst the two chit-chatted the pub livened up around them with recovering revellers getting to their feet, laughing off their terrible hangovers and leaving to go home and change, or go back to bed at any rate. Outside, the village of Caer Alwyn started to waken....

"I am who I am," Anyman shrugged, "I'm Anyman."

He takes a sip of his drink.

"Once upon a time, I used to be a very famous actor."

"You were not," Putty says in his head.

"At best, you were an up and coming actor," sneers the other voice. "At best."

"Producers, directors and writers all knew me and wanted me in their films or in their plays," he continued, padding out his resume. "If I told you my real name, you would fall all over yourself to get my autograph."

"For very certain parts only," Putty puts in. "And yes, they knew you, the acting field is awfully small after all."

"Third rate parts at best," sneered the other voice. "Never the leading man, always a supporting actor."

"Well ... there was that small group of films," Putty said to be fair, "from that company that went bankrupt after a year. He got lots of leading parts from them."

"Probably why they went bankrupt," groused the demonic voice.

Used to the heckles of the crowd, Anyman continued blithfully on with his story.

"Then the ... EVENT ... happened. I can't explain The EVENT. TOP Secret, you know, Giving up the stage and screen to do my bit for the war effort is what I've done. And here I am now."

"Impressed, no?"

"NO!," chorused Putty and the demonic voice.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 06 2011, 00:40

OOC That made me laugh Smile More, MORE! Very Happy

Peterson seemed impressed. "Sounds like a more interesting life than I've led. I was educated by my Uncle - you met him under the palace - along with a few of my cousins. I always wondered why I didn't go to normal schools like everyone else, and why things like Latin and history were so important. The P.E. part was ... fun though. I mean, how many kids learn how to defend themselves and use weapons from the age of five? Anyway, that went on for... decades! Always the training, the long lessons, learning weird stuff. Meditation techniques so we could rest whilst we learnt... Anyway, I wasn't chosen for whatever it was they were training us for, so I signed up for the Navy. Whizzed through training and became an officer right off the bat! Then I get the call, and my promising career in the Navy is over!" he chuckled, and shrugged. "So, here we are, and you gave me this weapon, and ... well, now what?"

'The weapon needs to be taken to its home. Then the boy can fulfil his destiny.' rasped one third of the comedy trio inside Anymans head.

Breakfast finished, bill paid, Harry glanced about. "Looks like we'll be kicked out soon - they need to clean this place up, and we need to find out what's going on!"

OOC Where to? Mansion? Beach? Ruined castle? Ask about the village for details on local legends, the strangers that have arrived recently or something else entirely...?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Apr 06 2011, 01:23

AGENT: LT CMDR LANCE ALLARD

'The weapon needs to be taken to its home. Then the boy can fulfil his destiny.' rasped one third of the comedy trio inside Anymans head.

Breakfast finished, bill paid, Harry glanced about. "Looks like we'll be kicked out soon - they need to clean this place up, and we need to find out what's going on!"

OOC Where to? Mansion? Beach? Ruined castle? Ask about the village for details on local legends, the strangers that have arrived recently or something else entirely...?.

"Let's go find this Earl," Anyman says. "IF anyone knows what is going on, he does."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 06 2011, 14:56

The house was imposing. Set in fine gardens and made of weathered stone, it looked like something that had been there for centuries thanks to the buffeting by the Irish Sea (OOC I think it's the Irish that borders Wales? Or possibly the Atlantic...) instead of the hundred or so years since it'd been constructed. As the Vanguardian and his colleague walked up the gravel path, cleared of snow at some point in the morning (though it'd started again) the place looked like a 'winter wonderland' of sorts.

Stepping up to the porch and the grand double doors, Peterson shrugged and stepped up to pull a cord for a bell to ring, only for the doors to swing open on well oiled hinges. Oak they were, and nigh on 7' high leading into a vast hall with black and white chequered floor and wood panelled walls on either side. A wide grand staircase led up to the next floor some 10m from the entrance whilst passages continued either side of it. There was a door on either side of the hall leading into other rooms, and paintings on the wall depicted previous Earls of Caer Alwyn dating back to the middle ages.

The man who'd opened the door was old, somewhere in his sixties, but his eyes were bright with intelligence and he wore his black and white uniform impeccably. "Sirs. The Earl has been expecting you since you arrived in the village. Indeed, he wondered as to the reasons for you taking so long to get here!" he said in a prim oxford educated accent.

Was this a trap of some kind? Clearly the Earl had spies or informants of some kind in the village! What should Anyman and Peterson expect?

OOC What face/body is Anyman wearing at the moment? He'll stick out a mile in his invisible man look. Want to follow the butler as he waves you gently in and offers to take your coats?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Apr 06 2011, 22:11

AGENT: LT CMDR LANCE ALLARD

Was this a trap of some kind? Clearly the Earl had spies or informants of some kind in the village! What should Anyman and Peterson expect?

OOC What face/body is Anyman wearing at the moment? He'll stick out a mile in his invisible man look. Want to follow the butler as he waves you gently in and offers to take your coats?

OOC: Still using the dead Peterson's form but I am soooo tempted that the moment the door is shut and the butler turns his back to turn into an exact duplicate of him!!! affraid
Been sick all week and my judgement's a bit impaired at the moment. heh!

"Well, then let's not keep the Earl waiting," Anyman says. "Shall we walk your way?"

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 06 2011, 23:51

Led through one of the side doors into a long corridor and passing several doors on one side, windows looking out onto the house front and lawns on the other, the Butler stopped outside the last door, knocked, listened, then opened it for the pair to walk in.

World War II - Putty Issue #2 - Page 3 2czwyaa

Looking up from a book the Earl sat in a sumptuous leather chair in front of a roaring fire. There were several chairs in this huge room, a large four seater sofa, a massive oak table and high backed chair behind it whilst the walls were lined floor to twenty foot high ceiling with leather bound books, thousands of the things. Ladders on casters allowed access to the higher ones, and some looked very old indeed.

"Ah yesh." said the Earl, putting his book down and standing. Despite the mans age he cut a formidable figure. "Just ash deshcribed. And I shee you've brought Orias with you." His eyes narrowed and he seemed to appraise the pair stood in front of him. "You are not... what I expected." he said, looking at Anyman in the guise of the older Peterson. The Earls eyes seemed to bore into Anymans soul. Was he a psychic of some kind? "Well? Hand it over then!" he said, with a hand outstretched.

Harry turned to Anyman, looking for leadership, and looked down at the rune carved wooden handle in his hand. "Should I?" he enquired.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next