The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World War II - Putty Issue #2

2 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

World War II - Putty Issue #2 Empty World War II - Putty Issue #2

Post  Admin Mon Feb 21 2011, 00:06

"Remarkable." said the man in the suit. He stood at the window sipping a stiff drink. General Dawson shifted uncomfortably in his chair and glanced at Lance Allard. The man bore no mark of his epic battles with the Nazis and looked fresh as a daisy. Emma Steed on the other hand had bandages and plasters about her, and a black eye into the bargain. She still looked lovely, and would again, only after a longer time than it took for Allard to change his appearance. In truth he still smarted after the kicking he'd taken from Major Nazi. Having been shipped to first one army post then another, and finally getting back to Bletchley Park, Allard had regaled all who'd asked of his adventures in Germany, including disabling the Major Nazi base and battling their horrifying new breed of vile super soldiers, the were creatures.

The weapon had been taken for analysis and in truth Allard was sad to see it taken away. The thing had, he suspected, saved his life. Without it he doubted he would have made much of a dent in the Nazis hide. He was also put into the picture about the new recruits for the super soldier program, the Justiciars, with General Wynn and Sgt Major Slobotham in charge of recruitment and training.

"Britain and all her peoples would salute you sir, and madam, for your efforts. They would, that is, if you were not our best kept, most closely guarded secret!" said Neville Chamberlain, the Prime Minister.

A larger man with thinning hair and top hat placed on table puffed on a cigar where he sat in the offices in Whitehall. "Indeed, they are that, but one must also consider not only the physical well being of ones nation, but the mental! This young man and woman, indeed, and all their friends and colleagues in this... amazing project Dawson and the others run, would be of enormous benefit in propaganda terms when the dark days come sir" said Winston Churchill, first lord of the Admiralty. Other high ranking officials in the room, representing the highest echelons of the armed forces and intelligence services, echoed the mans words, until quieted by Chamberlain. "No, that would have them moving around with the eyes of the free world on them. Dawson! that matter we discussed. And I have it on authority our American cousins are well underway with their own program. I want code names, garish costumes and above all, something that will identify our people as symbols, as well as providing a distraction so they can move about without masks unnoticed. Though it would be hard not to notice Miss Steed, I'm sure." he added, with a round of 'here here' from the others.

Allard wondered how that would work. He could at will be anyone, anytime. A costume would mark him as a target and that would place him in situations his unique abilities weren't best suited to deal with. Before he could speak, the Prime Minister continued. "We have two items on the agenda before these fine young agents can take a well deserved rest! The first... ah yes."

Churchill rose, and the others started murmuring. "Hands off!" he chuckled. "Captain Steed is Army, Mr Allard will be Navy, or there'll be hell to pay!" he laughed.

Chamberlain sighed and deferred to the charismatic Churchill. "You are hereby promoted to the rank of Major, Captain Steed!" he said, grinning, whilst Steed stood, saluted and had new rank bars and a medal pinned to her jacket. He turned to Allard. "I wanted a higher rank, but the stiff necked bureaucrats asked too many questions. Still, a jump by two ranks and the same equivalent as Major Steed, for you to Lieutenant-Commander, should set you on your way, Allard!"

Steed glanced over and shook her head slightly with a grin. She knew Allard deserved that and more, but she was no longer his superior officer! She wondered how it would change things.

"And now the next thing. We want your thoughts on a mission of the most utmost importance, Commander. How do we go about killing Adolf Hitler?"

Allard had barely finished admiring the bars when he heard the question. He should've known there'd be no rest!

Just another day in the life of...

World War II - Putty Issue #2 Tahezs
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

World War II - Putty Issue #2 Empty Re: World War II - Putty Issue #2

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Feb 21 2011, 14:33

CODENAME: ANYMAN
AGENT: LT CMDR LANCE ALLARD

"And now the next thing. We want your thoughts on a mission of the most utmost importance, Commander. How do we go about killing Adolf Hitler?"

Allard had barely finished admiring the bars when he heard the question. He should've known there'd be no rest!

Just another day in the life of...

Lt. Cmdr Lance Allard didn't want a garish costume. He wouldn't stand out in any photo opportunities with the others if he did if they would all have their own garish costumes. Instead, he would go back to his understated outfit; it would automatically draw the eye to him if surrounded by other colorful costumed people.

Vain, yes. He knew that. But then again, he was an actor. He wouldn't be an actor if he didn't want to be noticed!!

As he rose to address the important people in the room, he mentally shifted his body around to the amazed murmurs of those present. He was back into his "Invisible Man" costume, as he thought of it - tannish trenchcoat, kid gloves, smart looking suit and a full head of bandages.

"Prime Minister. Gentlemen. Admirals and Generals," he said in his best orator's voice. "I had truly thought to take out Hitler myself while on my last mission - a mission I never did carry out because of the complications we all know about. We completed another mission but one unassigned to us."

"I had large dreams of taking out Hitler, Himmler, Gorring and all the others since I could be anyone, anywhere and they couldn't even trust themselves not to be me."

"But ...," he says, taking a studied pose of regret.

"But," he sighs. "It was not to be. The Nazis have something that completely destroys the advantage we have of our powers. They know where we are in a general area at all times."

"Yes, gentlemen," he says more forcefully, "at all times! That's how they continued to chase and attack Gravity Girl and myself even when we left no trail for them to follow. That's how they knew I infiltrated into the castle. That's how they knew Gravity Girl had gone off to a radio station to broadcast to you what we had found out. That's how we almost didn't make it back at all."

"They have a team of psychics, from what I overheard, that somehow "know" who has powers and where they are. Not where they are exactly but in a general area."

"This thing inside me. This Putty person."

He pauses at that and looks around.

"I do not know how many of you are privied to the fact that we original powered folks got our powers because ... well, because we are possessed."

He nods in understanding.

"Yes, I know. It sounds ridiculous and frankly smacks of witch hunts but it is the truth. Those of us who fell into unexplained comas for a few weeks did so because beings from not only the future but also from a future that is not our own; at least, I hope it is not our own; or from multiple possibl futures, somehow projected themselves into the past and into our bodies."

"The Nazis have their own future visitors who did the same thing. These beings were fighting those that are inside of us. It gets even more complicated. While in Europe, I discovered a second being inside of me. That is to say, inside of the man who calls himself Putty. It is apparently that being that gave Putty His powers who in return has given me most of those same powers when he came back in time and tried to take over my body."

"I believe that most of the others of the coma group had pulled together their two personalities and memories into one being. I haven't done that. Putty is inside me, watching, listening, ..."

"Talking," Putty says inside his head.

"Talking," Anyman says with a slight grimace at Putty walking over his lines in his head.

"It was he who warned me, when a second voice appeared in my head offering even greater power, at a time when I was sure Major Nazi was about to destroy me, not to listen to that voice and to take that offer of power. It is some kind of demon. I'm not sure if I mean demon in the Christian sense or not. But from what I got from Putty, it is almost amoral and doesn't care who dies near him as long as he gets to kill his target."

"I gather," he says drolly, "it is something like a bomb going off in a crowded room, killing everyone to get to the one person you wanted."

"We have to make sure the others know of this "other voice" and its tempting offers and to not to take up those offers if innocents are within miles of them."

He paces about the room a bit, drawing again everyones' eyes.

"Because of these psychics, my main power of being anyone to slip inside Fortress Europe will always fail. I can not get anywhere near Hitler or the others without them knowing about it. Apparently, these psychis are even more aware of those of us who are coma victims, than they are of those who got their powers secondary, like Gravity Girl here."

"We need to find some way to counter these psychics. Which means, we need to get our hands on a few so we can figure out how they do what they do so we can block them."

"Until we do that, any covert missions will be doomed to failure if any of us "costumed types" get involved," he says regretfully. "We will make a darn fine distraction while others go off to do any actual missions, if that is what you want, sirs. But until then, we are pretty much hamstrung over there. Home front though, we are good for stopping what's happening here."

"It would be a good idea if we could develop our own psychics," Major Steed puts in, "as our own early warning detection system against their powered soldiers."

Anyman nods agreement and then sits back down.

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Feb 23 2011, 00:42

There was a stunned silence in the room. Many of the men in these simply couldn't get their heads around the concepts of what they'd heard! Possession? And that from a creature from the future and some kind of apocalyptic demon? The only thing stopping any of them from standing up and stomping out was that Anyman changed his appearance instantly and before their vary eyes! Proof then, that he at least could do the things he said, and they didn't have to take the information in good faith from Generals Dawson, Forbes and Wynn!

It was Churchill who spoke first, drawing in his cigar and leaning back in his chair. "So then, let me get this straight. A bunch of you young men and women awoke from a coma and find yourselves possessed by people from the future and some kind of all powerful demons. It is they that give you your superhuman abilities? The Nazis though, have other means of creating superhuman armies, or so I understood it to be so? Visitors from the future who use ... science? Ha, magic?" He turned to look at those gathered. "Even if word of this did get out I should think no one would believe a word of it!" Pausing for thought he considered, then added "Then you say the Nazis know of your every move.. that they could track you? Could they then be, right now, hearing all that we say and watch all we do? If that were so, then your mission, as you say young man, would be clear. It is those psychics, those mystics, mind readers, far sighted folk, who must be stopped first! Surely they, more than any other asset the Nazis have, are their greatest weapon! Why... " he looked around "All that we have done thus far will have been watched, monitored..." he sounded appalled. "They have no need to second guess our moves... simply react and apply enough force to bludgeon our every move into submission! Mr Prime Minister! I put it to you.. the British Expeditionary Force in France is in the gravest of danger!"

Chamberlain rose, raising hands to quell the rising concern. "Now now Winston. Let's not be too hasty. Panic is as powerful a threat as any the Nazis offer! The BEF is in good hands, and we shall send word for them to dig in. As it is, the weather is turning badly for the worse over there and here. It looked like they're in for a longcold winter and naught will be done till spring anyway, by which time General Wynn and DICE will have trained up our own army of superhuman soldiers! Added to that I propose that we make it our utmost priority to stop the Nazi psychics in any way possible, and that Commander Allard be put in charge of the strike team to do so! First though, we must maintain discipline and morale, not just in this room but across the country! Without a sense of togetherness and striving against a common foe, we would be wandering about as headless chickens! Heaven knows I have made mistakes, and I underestimated Chancellor Hitlers ambitions, much to the pain and suffering of the Polish peoples! Every move we now make should be considered, rational and well planned. To do otherwise leads to disaster!"

Churchill leaned back in his chair, frowning, whilst the other chiefs of staff nodded, applauding Chamberlains speech and offering their own thoughts on various committees and groups that should be set up.

=========

In the corridor outside, Churchill called out to Anyman and Major Steed as they walked away...

They'd been thanked and politely dismissed for the rest of the day, free to sample the delights of London. As it was, Steed had been recalled to DICE HQ, and Anyman was to meet General Dawson of the Strange Sciences Section in order that he might be outfitted for his next mission. Being placed in command of his own hand picked team, given the highest priority over all other intelligence/espionage missions, was a heavy burden to carry. Failure might cost him both his life and his country, so it wasn't an option!

"Damned confusing, what you said in there young man. That said, I think I got the gist. You have to remember, we are old men, and think we have seen and heard it all! Then you lot come along with your amazing powers.. truth told when we saw the photographs of the flying Nazis and heard of their rocket packs and rayguns, we thought our spies had gone do-lalley! You are living proof that we live in a new, more dangerous age, and one that will forever be marked as the time the world was changed forever! one can only hope it is for the betterment of mankind... an army of you chaps could get some funny ideas and have the rest of us shining your shoes for you..." he squinted with an eyebrow raised, looking at Allard through a cloud of rising smoke. "Just remember we're all on the same side eh? You've proven yourself and your worth to your country, over and again from the sounds of things. What of these others? Will they use the power responsibly?" he shrugged. "Contact me here whenever you need to Commander, and good luck. I'd say it was a suicide mission, first finding then taking out the Nazis most top secret weapon, but from what I gather, it will be another day on the job for you! Good day to you both, and godspeed!" he tipped his hat, and kissed Steeds hand, then wandered off, whilstling as he went along the corridors of power...

=========

Elsewhere in London....

The criminal shivered with fear, and cold, for it was snowing outside and the wind was harsh. The rickety warehouse in the dock section of the city along the Thames wasn't exactly the Hilton! "I can get you want you want, but it'll cost! Me and my boys don't come cheap!" he hissed to the figure in shadow. "Oh don't worry about money..." growled a deep gutteral voice from the shadows. The criminal looked into the rest of the warehouse. It seemed a number of outlandish machines were steadily taking shape, courtesy of the menacing figure who addressed him. That figure advanced, and the criminal reached for his inner pocket and the handgun there... suddenly the gun seemed very small, and feeble!

"Don't bother with the gun, Crypps. It might hurt me, but it will take more than that to kill me!" said Professor Bedlamm, a 10' high ape dressed in a special oversized white coat and exuding dangerous criminal menace! "As for payment... I plan to secure that in a move that will kill two birds with one stone... come back tomorrow. Tonight I will pay a visit to one of Londons most historic monuments... and strike a blow that leaves this country reeling! You shall, in turn, receive your payment for the items on the list, IF you deliver. Do not betray me Crypps!" The ape leaned over the man. "There are far more painful things I can do than simply killing you!"

=========

With a suite laid on at the Savoy Hotel, it appeared that the British Admiralty knew how to treat its heroes...

Anyman, in a more discreet disguise, waited in the snow under an umbrella for a taxi to take him there. Steed had kissed him on the cheek, asked him if he'd meet her for dinner before she departed for Bletchley Park and headed off towards her own, less well appointed, army sourced dwelling.

Dawson had been in touch to say he would meet Anyman at the Savoy and they would, over dinner, discuss plans for his next vital mission. That presented a problem in that Steed would need to be stood up. He pondered, then overhead a couple of taxi drivers idly chatting over by the rank as he bought a newspaper from a vendor. "...vicinity of Buckingham palace tonight I 'eard. Look, all I'm sayin' is, you didn't 'ear it from me cause these people are serious, if you know what I mean? friend of a friend of mine 'eard somethin' was goin down. 'Ee said be somewhere else tonight and I plan to. You don't mess with Crypps boys..."

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Feb 23 2011, 03:33

AGENT: LT. CMDR LANCE ALLARD

Anyman, in a more discreet disguise, waited in the snow under an umbrella for a taxi to take him there. Steed had kissed him on the cheek, asked him if he'd meet her for dinner before she departed for Bletchley Park and headed off towards her own, less well appointed, army sourced dwelling.

Dawson had been in touch to say he would meet Anyman at the Savoy and they would, over dinner, discuss plans for his next vital mission. That presented a problem in that Steed would need to be stood up. He pondered, then overhead a couple of taxi drivers idly chatting over by the rank as he bought a newspaper from a vendor. "...vicinity of Buckingham palace tonight I 'eard. Look, all I'm sayin' is, you didn't 'ear it from me cause these people are serious, if you know what I mean? friend of a friend of mine 'eard somethin' was goin down. 'Ee said be somewhere else tonight and I plan to. You don't mess with Crypps boys..."

Stepping briefly out of sight, Anyman changed again his appearance. Now he looked like a Bobby he played in a very forgetable movie.

Moving over purposely, he walked up to the two cabbies.

"What's the word on the street, boys," he asked in a friendly manner. "Any manner of vile duriance to be considered?"

"OH boy! That's terrible," Putty said inside his head. "That's the dialog from that movie you were in? NO wonder it was a stinker!"

"Shut up," Lance snarled back inside his head while maintaining his friendly face. "It paid the rent for three months, so it was all good and I doubt these fellows every saw "Inspector Grant's Lancaster Vacation". Or if they did, they won't remember my three whole minutes in that picture."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 24 2011, 00:32

One cabbie looked to the other, then back to the policeman. "Geez!" he said, running hand through thinning hair and replacing a flat cap. "Where did you come from? What do ya mean? Ain't nowt we 'eard, right Alf?"

"No we ain't 'eard nowt." said Alf, glancing about. "Is that the time? Ah'll be knockin' off soon. Down the dog and duck Bill?"

Bill glanced nervously at the policeman. "Yep, see ya there Alf." he smiled. Watching his friend head for the cab Alf said "Now I ain't seen nowt or 'eard nowt. Well, anythin' I was supposed to. Bloke I 'eard it from was talking to a mate who 'ad a pal just come outta prison and was lookin' fer work. Well, turns out there's somethin' 'sposed ta be goin' on tonight, and the rumour was at Buckingham Palace. I think it's baloney, seein' as the place is guarded day an night by itchy trigger fingered soliers an' that. I reckon 'ee was tellin' porkies, but just ta be on the safe side, I'm stayin' well clear o the place, you know what I mean? I don't buy into these cover ups in the papers." he said, tapping the side of his nose. "Wasn't an escape by zoo animals the other week I can tell ya. Even if a gorilla was ta climb Big Ben and make a mess of the old fella, a shot or two would have brought the thing down. This was a talking ape, I swear on me old ma's grave! They fixed the clock up double sharp mind, but mark my words. These is strange days. What? Don't tell me you don't know nowt! You coppers... I tell ya." He lit up, taking a drag. "Quiet tonight anyway. Might go sit in front of the wireless with the paper and me smokes."

Anyman had been out of the loop for a while. Talking ape? Would the DICE lot know about that?

Just then a taxi pulled and the cabbie called out. "Cab for Commander Allard. Anyone about by that name, or do I 'ave to go in there and get me life history checked out again? Ain't worth it fer the pittance the government pays!"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Feb 24 2011, 01:30

AGENT LT. CMDR LANCE ALLARD

Anyman had been out of the loop for a while. Talking ape? Would the DICE lot know about that?

Just then a taxi pulled and the cabbie called out. "Cab for Commander Allard. Anyone about by that name, or do I 'ave to go in there and get me life history checked out again? Ain't worth it fer the pittance the government pays!".

"He will be along shortly," the Bobbie said to the cabbie.

"What's your name," he asked his nervous cabbie friend. "Might want to have a talk with that friend of a friend if something does happen. And did I hear you mention the Crypps?"

ooc: Does Anyman have any idea who that is?
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 24 2011, 23:00

OOC Anyman has no idea who Crypps is. He's a smart guy, so can probably guess if the locals know about him he might be a criminal of some kind, but that's it. There are ways and means about finding this stuff out though Smile

"Alf. Alf Smith. But don't go sayin' nothin' to no one about what I said, cause I'll say it wasn't me, alright? I don't need no trouble, and I don't want none copper. Crypps has his fingers in all the pies, if ya know what I mean so 'ee could make things very nasty fer someone who thought 'ee was doin' the right thing and it turns out that tellin' someone somethin' was entirely the wrong thing ta do cause it gets him a one way ticket ta the bottom o the Thames, alright?" The man was in his fifties, thin grey hair, slight paunch, a weary world heavy look about him.

"An as fer a friend of a friend.. well, I 'eard it down the pub is all. We cabbies tend ta keep an ear out fer wots goin' on the street seein' as the hoi paloi round here in Whitehall got the picture picture in their sights. They seem to ferget that there's normal people tryin' to do their normal things ta earn a livin', an ya gotta have somethin' ta talk ta punters about. So I'll be off, and ferget I said whatever I said. In fact, I said nothin'. You 'eard nowt from me, ok?"

He sets off back to his cab...

Anymans keen mind assembles the facts he's gleaned from the cabbie. He'd have a 'local' pub. The dog and duck was mentioned. Not the sort of place someone like Lance Allard and his well to do chums would frequent, that was for sure. If Hitler was going to bomb London, few would grieve over the loss of places like that! If he overheard something there, it stood to reason that if something shifty was going on having a man with his ear to the ground. This Crypps, whoever he was, had a name and reputation strong enough that few wanted to talk about him, and even less wanted anything to do with putting him behind bars! The local police station might have more information about that. As for Buckingham Palace? The place was locked down. Guarded 24/7 with soldiers and dog patrols. Allard doubted anyone would be foolish enough to try anything there. Unless they weren't trying anything there specifically... an attack on the Palace would have the police and army running to its rescue from miles around - the perfect distraction!

He looked at his watch. He was due to meet General Dawson in 20 minutes, and hopefully Emma Steed an hour or so after that if he could wrap things up with Dawson. This was something he didn't need!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Feb 25 2011, 17:38

Anymans keen mind assembles the facts he's gleaned from the cabbie. He'd have a 'local' pub. The dog and duck was mentioned. Not the sort of place someone like Lance Allard and his well to do chums would frequent, that was for sure. If Hitler was going to bomb London, few would grieve over the loss of places like that! If he overheard something there, it stood to reason that if something shifty was going on having a man with his ear to the ground. This Crypps, whoever he was, had a name and reputation strong enough that few wanted to talk about him, and even less wanted anything to do with putting him behind bars! The local police station might have more information about that. As for Buckingham Palace? The place was locked down. Guarded 24/7 with soldiers and dog patrols. Allard doubted anyone would be foolish enough to try anything there. Unless they weren't trying anything there specifically... an attack on the Palace would have the police and army running to its rescue from miles around - the perfect distraction!

He looked at his watch. He was due to meet General Dawson in 20 minutes, and hopefully Emma Steed an hour or so after that if he could wrap things up with Dawson. This was something he didn't need!.

Since he had the cab waiting for him, the Bobbie waved to the man to wait and entered the building. He got as far as the foyer and then changed into his Lance Allard persona and came right back out.

"You know where to take me, I presume," he said to the cabbie as he settled himself in the backseat. General Dawson would need to know what he had just heard. The general would probably put him right back out on the trail but he always wanted to make sure his superiors knew what was happening ... in case he never made it back.

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 27 2011, 00:18

Lance Allard availed himself of a considerable drinks expenses tab for the 15 minutes or so he waited until Dawson arrived. The General raised an eyebrow at the four beautiful young women Allard had been charming with his suave style and witty stories. Seeing he was needed, the Commander excused himself and was shown to the table where Dawson waited. A quick look around the crowded dining room showed the cream of Londons' moneyed set, laughing and enjoying themselves as if the war were thousands of miles away. Of course it was right now. Allard knew it would come to these shores all too soon. With the keen instincts of a man born to be the ultimate secret agent, he noted the glances and stances of several agents in the room. They'd been there before he came in, in the guise of diners. One of the waiters had shown Dawson to the table and his body language indicated he was DICE as well.

Dawson sat down. "Sorry I'm late old chap. Congrats on the promotion." he said as he glanced about. The table was far enough away from any others to avoid their conversation being eves dropped. There were others set aside like that, where whispered conversations could take place away from the constant soft music the band in the opposite corner played, and away from the noise of a busy dining area.

With a different waiter serving drinks, Dawson thanks the man, saw him walk away and slipped a photograph from his pocket.

World War II - Putty Issue #2 2v7xb4k

"This man is Major Ernst Jaggschweiner. Born Berlin 1901 to parents Felix and Alba. Felix was a carpenter, quite the talent apparently. Our man was the second of three children, the others being Tomas and the youngest, Marie. Marie died aged 12 in a swimming accident. Too young to fight in world war I till the last year he nonetheless distinguished himself after enlisting and proving to be an intelligent strategist and planner. He lost the eye, supposedly, whilst protecting his superior officer at the end of the conflict, taking a bullet that near cost his life. Others might have been pensioned off, but our boy has an indomitable iron will and determination to succeed. He became an expert marksman, if only to prove to his superiors he still had use. In short, the man was blessed with incredible mental fortitude and he rapidly rose through the ranks of the reorganised German army. We don't know his political motivations, but he is loyal to Germany and whomever is in charge. We've brought him to your attention because he was one of the first volunteers for what the Nazis codenamed 'Projekt Ãœbermensch'. I'm sure I don't need to translate. After receiving whatever treatment it is the Nazis use to make their goose steppers into power houses, his worth to the Third Reich increased dramatically. We believe this man has the ability to 'tickle' the parts of the brain that stimulates areas not normally utilised by homo sapiens. In short... he makes psychics. Incredible as that is to believe, it's the only explanation as to why they are turning out dozens of psychic superhumans. Bear in mind this is only what our spies have gleaned. We also know that his 'treatment' shortens the lifespan of the recipient drastically. Our belief is that they live no more than months, perhaps a year or two, after being the subject of this mans' attentions. If we can take him out of the equation, we may be able to bring down the network that spots you chaps coming a mile off."

He sipped from his whisky, scowled. "Witch piss." he sighed, and waved for the waiter to return.

Allard took the opportunity to explain what he'd heard outside. "Interesting. It makes sense of course that cabbies would hear the word on the street. Might be an important source of information. As a precaution I'll get word to Forbes to send down a couple of the new recruits, Justiciars we're calling them. Kind of a back up plan in case any of you lot should... you know. Anyway, an attack on Buckingham palace would be insanity. Best to be sure though. Crypps you said? Not familiar with the name but to be honest, we operate on a bigger picture. If anything we should pass it onto the local law enforcement types."

Dawson paled at the mention of a talking ape. "Ah yes. That one is hush hush. Imagine if the Daily Mirror were to get hold of that! This is one of Lionhearts cases, but he disappeared soon after running into the ape. Not before stopping his operation, but we had a fair bit of cleanup to do. Between you and me, a number of those animals are still at large, and they aren't normal creatures. They can swap between human and animal forms, and something in between. Yes, I know..." he said holding up a hand "... more weird science. Believe me, as if we haven't enough to catalogue, digest and make sense of... this stuff is coming in all the time when we get word. Sounds very much like the animals you ran into in Germany. That means the Nazis are operating on our soil, and that leaves a sourer taste than that cheap Whisky!"

He fished in his inner pocket. "Ah yes."

World War II - Putty Issue #2 15q3vw6

"Josephine Becker, age 28, brilliant young woman, scientist, and recipient of the Majors treatment. One of the few that knows about the lifespan reduction and rather annoyed about the whole thing. Annoyed enough to act as a spy for us anyway. She contacted field operatives in Austria and gave us most of what we know on the Major. Not been heard from for a week or two, so we don't hold much hope of any more info. Her parents Dirk and Elizabet live in Nauen, near Berlin. 47 Schützenstraße. Best lead we have on her whereabouts, in the hope their daughter has been in touch and left some information. I don't have to remind you Commander that this is not only in the lions den, but under it's bloody nose! If I hadn't been ordered to send you on this mission, I'd leave it well alone. Your mission is to contact her parents, find out where their daughter is and from there, take down the whole PSI division. PSI. We got that from Lionheart. Anyway. Whatever you need, whomever you need, you have it. Thoughts, questions?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Feb 27 2011, 01:36

"Josephine Becker, age 28, brilliant young woman, scientist, and recipient of the Majors treatment. One of the few that knows about the lifespan reduction and rather annoyed about the whole thing. Annoyed enough to act as a spy for us anyway. She contacted field operatives in Austria and gave us most of what we know on the Major. Not been heard from for a week or two, so we don't hold much hope of any more info. Her parents Dirk and Elizabet live in Nauen, near Berlin. 47 Schützenstraße. Best lead we have on her whereabouts, in the hope their daughter has been in touch and left some information. I don't have to remind you Commander that this is not only in the lions den, but under it's bloody nose! If I hadn't been ordered to send you on this mission, I'd leave it well alone. Your mission is to contact her parents, find out where their daughter is and from there, take down the whole PSI division. PSI. We got that from Lionheart. Anyway. Whatever you need, whomever you need, you have it. Thoughts, questions?".

"Sir, this can't be a sneak job," Allard says with a grimace. "As soon as we move towards Europe, they are going to know and send everything at us that they can. We need speed and we need power!"

"Any chance of getting a huge fighter escort to go after their rocketpack men and fighers while a bomber gets us in as far into Germany as it can?"

He thinks some more.

"A bomber run at a different city to force them to divert men and material?"

"How about most of the oringal team? Is it possible to get them in on this? Even after the bomber is destroyed, the crew better know it is a suicide mission, a lot of us powered types on the ground, moving in different directions may give their psychics fits. That's the best way I can think of to accomplish this mission, sir."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 27 2011, 23:34

Dawson shuffled uneasily, pocketing the photos. "Yes... I suppose you're right. But that plan sounds an awful lot like a final throw of the dice, putting all our eggs in one basket and what not. If we lose, we lose everything!" His bang on the table with a fist attracted attention momentarily, but he continued. "The bloody Nazis are holding all the cards! We have aces but they are spread through the pack - getting them all in one place is..." he sat back, throwing his hands up, in exasperation. "The PM will say no. He's too cautious. Aside from the loss of life and equipment there's a real chance of losing our best defence against the Nazi metahumans! And yet something MUST be done!"

'You can do something' said a voice from within Allard. 'But it will hurt. These... 'Nazis' listen with their minds. They group together and use a machine to amplify their thoughts, listening for such as you, people with power and abilities that far outstrip a normal person. Those normal people slip below their radar. If we were to ... 'shout' it would effectively 'deafen' them for a period of time, but the consequences would be unknown. The usurpers who dethroned my brother and the ruling family of which I am part are ever watching and waiting for an opportunity. Do the risks outweigh the benefits?'

'No!' hissed another voice from within Allard. 'I listened to that voice before, and the consequences are... devastating! The creatures within the Vanguard have their own agenda! For sure they are acting in the good of humanity by opposing the Nazis and those who dethroned them, but what happens if we win? If we defeat all our enemies? Will they quietly slink off into their dark corner to brood again?'

"Allard? I said, are you ready to order?" asked Dawson.

He waved the waiter away, then pondered a moment. "Hold on. There WAS something. Hoskyn... Frostbite used an alien device to transport himself thousands of miles in the blink of an eye to a place the Americans call 'Area 51' in Arizona. The Faroe isles.. that's it! There's a Nazi base been established there and we've people en route to flatten it! Maybe there's some way to use the Nazis technology against them!"

Suddenly a waiter came rushing over, knocking another waiters tray and the glasses off, showering several customers who spluttered and got up to protest! The waiter ignored them and got to the table.. "Buckingham Palace is under attack! NOW!" his hissed...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Feb 28 2011, 04:28

AGENT: LANCE ALLARD, LT. CMDR

"Allard? I said, are you ready to order?" asked Dawson.

He waved the waiter away, then pondered a moment. "Hold on. There WAS something. Hoskyn... Frostbite used an alien device to transport himself thousands of miles in the blink of an eye to a place the Americans call 'Area 51' in Arizona. The Faroe isles.. that's it! There's a Nazi base been established there and we've people en route to flatten it! Maybe there's some way to use the Nazis technology against them!"

Suddenly a waiter came rushing over, knocking another waiters tray and the glasses off, showering several customers who spluttered and got up to protest! The waiter ignored them and got to the table.. "Buckingham Palace is under attack! NOW!" his hissed....

"That happened sooner than expected," Anyman grimaced. "You didn't have time to put any real special defenses in place. Want me to head over there, sir?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 01 2011, 01:14

AGENT: LANCE ALLARD, LT. CMDR

Dawson growled "I'm inclined to let the police and army sort it out, but this will make the newspapers if it's not hushed, and that could be bad for morale. I'll make a phone call, see who is... hold on. I'm sure a couple of the Justiciars were down here for training. Languages I think! They can sort it out..." he looked across the table. "But I'd prefer a seasoned hand to steer them on the right path if it turns out to be more than a simple ado about nothing. I'll be right back."

He hurried across the room towards where the telephone booths were near the entrance, and Anyman settled back, considering his options. The voices inside gave contrasting views on his situation. It was almost like he had an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other! Chuckling at that thought, he looked up a minute later.

"Right!" said Dawson, pulling up his chair and sitting down. "I got in touch with Captain Haverford, training officer down her and he's having a word with two of the Justiciars. They're the new lot being trained by General Wynn and Slobotham. Here for language training, but they have costumes, codenames, the works! I told him to get them over to Buckingham Palace right away, and ..." he looked up, seeing a nod from the 'waiter' "we have a car for you. Haverford overheard a panicked message about the Palace grounds coming under fire from mortar rounds, can you believe! There'll be a bloody panic on if this gets out!"

=========

At that moment...

"I dunno, this don't feel right..." said Marcus Long, one of the goons hired by Crypps for this job. He looked at the strange contraption he'd been told to set up, the scrap of paper with numbers on it and around at the three other men on the rooftop. Looking through Binoculars he saw the first three shots had landed in the Palace grounds, and soldiers were scurrying everywhere, looking fro something to shoot at! Somewhere across London an air raid siren wailed out!

"We're gettin' paid ain't we?" said one of the other men. Long didn't know him, and that made his nervous. All had received a parcel, been told to head to this rooftop and assemble the parts into one contraption that looked like a long tube with rods holding it up. The rods were positioned so the tube was at an angle and marked with notches, so the device could be angled precisely. Somehow whomever set this up knew not only about what to set the angle at, but which roof to fire from, and at what firing rate! So far every shot had landed in the grounds!

One of the men readied another round - one of dozens of empty milk bottles filled with a liquid another man had brought in a metal 5 gallon container, whilst another poured a strange black dust from a sack down the tube. No one knew quite what it was they were doing, but had received instructions and a down payment for their services yesterday, along with a delivery or simple shopping list for everyday items. They combined, when all six men worked together, to make a mortar type device! But why? They weren't striking anything serious, and dropping short of the palace!

"Maybe we should try it another angle." suggested one of the other goons. The others shrugged as one man poured powder in as per the instructions, and another lit a piece of string as a fuse. The bottle was dropped in, then all stood back. Seconds later it launched, with smoke and a hiss, through the air as snow began to fall.

"Getting bloody cold!" hissed one man, stamping his feet. "Dunno about you lot, but I figure they'll shoot us if we're caught doin' this!"

"Do your job, and be well paid, then disperse. Simple enough to understand, even for idiots like you!" growled a shadowy figure on the rooftop! The men gasped, turning and looking up... up... The mysterious newcomer walked past them, and dropped off the rooftop... from five storeys up! They rushed to the edge of the roof.. gone!

=========

Back at the hotel Anyman sighed ruefully...

His date with Emma would be a write off, he figured. Especially since the air raid siren had gone off and worried patrons of the hotel were being handed out hard hats and gas masks, then told to make their way to the cellars. Outside, a car awaited, but Anyman paused to grab a freshly delivered chicken wing from a plate, steaming with juices and too mouth watering to pass up - he was famished!

The men stepped outside as the streets were busy with panicking people. Just then a rush of air wafted past Anyman, and both he and General Dawson turned. Skidding to a halt on the lightly falling snow, a young woman in an outlandish costume appeared as if from nowhere!

World War II - Putty Issue #2 A5dl6u

"Oh for gods sake!" shouted Dawson, glancing about. Despite the danger posed by an air raid, people were stopping to stare at the gaudily clad young woman in the body hugging costume. "Nothing like making an entrance eh? You'll be all over the bloody newspapers in the morning!"

The young woman blushed, looking taking aback. "Ah.. Captain Haverford suggested I get over here and offer ... Commander Allard a lift? I have to say though, being amazingly strong isn't in my power set! I'm Fastback and.. ah.. are you eating that?" she said, referring to the drumstick. "These powers leave me famished after a run!" she said, eyeing the drumstick hungrily...

Dawson sighed. "Where's the other one? Who was it?"

"Ian.. I mean, uh, Thunderclap." said Fastback, correcting herself. "He's on his way in a car."

Dawson turned to Anyman. "If you want the task of babysitting these two whilst this mess is sorted out, they're all yours." He turned to Fastback. "This man..." he said, thumbing at Anyman "Is your team leader. His word is law, understand!" She straightened, looking Anyman in the eye. "yes... Sir!" she added.

Anyman glanced about. She was attracting far too much attention for his liking!

Across London the air raid sirens wailed...

OOC Anymans choice on how he gets there. He could drive himself, be driven, find some arrangement with this newcomer (one of the Justiciars, whom he's never met. They were empowered by General Wynn - Stormwarden) or grab a motorcyle parked a little way down the street. The snow is starting to come down now though...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Mar 01 2011, 12:49

AGENT LT CMDR LANCE ALLARD

Anyman glanced about. She was attracting far too much attention for his liking!

Across London the air raid sirens wailed...

OOC Anymans choice on how he gets there. He could drive himself, be driven, find some arrangement with this newcomer (one of the Justiciars, whom he's never met. They were empowered by General Wynn - Stormwarden) or grab a motorcyle parked a little way down the street. The snow is starting to come down now though...

"When you say "on his way", do you mean on his way here or on his way to the Palace," Lt. Cmdr Allard asks. "If he is on his way here, I can go with him. If he is on his way to the palace, I can either drive myself or if a car is available with a driver right now, I can take that."

"You quickly fill up on some food inside, er ... Fastack, was it? Take no more than five minutes to do so. Then fly over to the palace and its surrounding areas. See if you can find where the attacks are coming from. Do not engage. Find me and let me know what you found out. I will be stopping near the front gates. I will change my appearance. Look for a man in a trench coat and bandages covering his whole head," he tells the colorfully dressed woman.

"Is there a driver and car available, sir," he asks General Dawson, glancing at the motorcycle and remembering the last time he used one and what had happened then. "If not, then I will borrow that."
He points to the motorcycle.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 02 2011, 02:12

AGENT LT CMDR LANCE ALLARD

"That's FastBACK" said the woman, slightly miffed. She sped off before Allard could correct her for the missing protocol.

"I'll have words about her addressing a superior officer..." said Dawson. "The other chap is going directly to the palace. See the car right over there? I came in that. Quite proud of it actually! Some of the boys at the strange sciences section decided to bolt two superchargers and something called Nitrous Oxide to a modified Cadillac. Yes I know, sacrilege using a Yank car, but the yanks sent it over for trials and its been sat doing nothing ever since! It's gas mileage is lousy, it's heavy, corners like a boat. Anyway, the lads have fixed most of that. There's a driver waiting for you. I'll hail a cab rather than ride in that bloody thing again!"

Allard looked back at the car. It seemed innocuous enough, save it was painted in matt black.

Allard took a couple of bits from the chicken before tossing the rest into a bin, mopping his hands with a handkerchief as he went. Dawson called out, to be heard over the wail of the sirens "Report back as soon as you know something. I expect it'll be a false alarm or some minor incident."

World War II - Putty Issue #2 Zsms7k

The young woman leaning against the side of the large automobile watched Dawson go, then turned to Allard. "I'm Private Gabriel Greene. I'm your driver today sir." she said with a grin. Allard raised an eyebrow in surprise and climbed into the back as she opened one of the large doors for him. Inside, it was spacious and comfortable, with stitched leather hide covering the seats and what looked to be a drinks cabinet spread over most of the floor. Looking back from the drivers seat into the mirror, Greene laughed. "Ah yes, the General was late, told me to 'step on it'. So I did." Allard glanced from the mirror to the dash of the car. It more resembled an aeroplane than a car with dials and toggle switches! The engine roared into life, a strange, muted sound for a car so large. Was it so underpowered?

"Hold on sir!" said Greene. She flicked another switch, and 9 more cylinders of the V12 Merlin engine burst into life, shaking the car, the street around it and causing people to jump in fright! "CAME FROM A CRASHED SPITFIRE!" yelled Greene. "HERE WE GO!"

She nailed the accelerator, and despite the snow the thing literally tore forwards, fishtailing down the road and barely missing parked cars and crossing pedestrians! Despite her youth, the Private was quite the dab hand at driving! "DAD WAS A RACING DRIVER. I DROVE MY FIRST CAR AT 4 YEARS OLD. CRASHED IT, MIND!" she yelled. Flicking two more switches as the road straightened out, the car squealed its way round a light bend, stiffened suspension threatening to snap the thing sideways at any moment. Suddenly the two superchargers whined into life, the Nitrous kicked in and the matt black 'beast' rocketed down the road almost as fast as a plane! They passed moving cars as if they were going backwards, and an astonished policeman gaped as his whistle fell from nerveless lips!

Flicking the 'charger off, Greene cut power to half of the engine and explained "Prototype. It's the only engine that hasn't gone bang so far, so its only a matter of time. Power can be cut to 9 of the cylinders to extend range, it can be run as a turbo charged V6 with the other 6 cylinders feeding compressed air to an air cooler, then to the cylinder head, or flat out as a V12, twin supercharged nitrous behemoth! At that speed you haven't long before the 30 gallon tank is drained, mind!"

Buckingham Palace was already coming into view. Cars were jamming the road though, and Greene nailed the brakes, fishtailed onto grass, swerved between two trees, knocked a bin over, clattered into a park bench, swerved back onto the road, up a kerb, around a flower bed and back onto the road as amazed motorists looked on in fear and shock.

She screeched to a halt as the car spilled sideways, and Allard wound down a blackened window. Buckingham Palace was being shelled!

OOC He can see smoke, fires in the grounds, running guards and spotlights flicking on, looking for planes. Allard is smarter than that though. Judging by the amount of damage (reasonably minimal) and concentration of fire, he deduces the shots must be coming from somewhere nearby...

Fastback whizzes up to stop beside the car, arms laden with a table cloth full of food. "How *munch munch* did you get here so *munch* fast?" she asked, then turned. "hey! Are we being bombed?" She looked to the skies...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Mar 03 2011, 01:51

She screeched to a halt as the car spilled sideways, and Allard wound down a blackened window. Buckingham Palace was being shelled!

OOC He can see smoke, fires in the grounds, running guards and spotlights flicking on, looking for planes. Allard is smarter than that though. Judging by the amount of damage (reasonably minimal) and concentration of fire, he deduces the shots must be coming from somewhere nearby...

Fastback whizzes up to stop beside the car, arms laden with a table cloth full of food. "How *munch munch* did you get here so *munch* fast?" she asked, then turned. "hey! Are we being bombed?" She looked to the skies...

"The Green Hornet loaned us the Black Beauty for the duration of the war," Lt. Cmdr Lance Allard said as he stepped out of the car in his uniform and then mentally shifted his appearance so he was in his more comfortable trench coat and head bandages.

"Thank you for the ride, Private. I think you better get out of the area with that thing. The Nazis may want to capture it. But stay close, in case I need a ride back."

When the car leaves, he turns to Fastback.

"No planes. No flying men or they would show themselves," he said to her. "Must be some kind of motar fire. Or a grenade rifle. Where's your teammate? Find him. Send him to me. Then go up and start checking nearby rooftops for any suspicious actions."

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Mar 04 2011, 22:28

"Sir?" asked Greene at the mention of the 'Green Hornet'. The radio show hadn't been around long, and then only in America. That said, Anyman was a well travelled man who, as an Actor, kept up to the latest hit 'fad'. He could adopt an American accent easily enough, star in the film adaptation, see his name in lights...

The young woman blinked as Anyman shifted forms, his new one flowing like liquid to replace the handsome, uniformed Naval Commander he'd been a heartbeat ago! He raised his hand towards his head, the fedora appearing in the blink of an eye before his fingers closed on it, adjusting it. All about the snow came down. Suddenly there was a a POCK!

Anyman glanced in the direction, then gave instructions for Greene to leave. She nodded, staring at the strange man who'd ridden in the back of the 'beast'. With a roar and squeal of wheels it slivered down the road at speed, disappearing around a corner and the engines howl ringing out as it bounced from building walls...

Fastback listened to Anymans order, then looked up as EEEEeeeeeeeee... BOOM! rang out in the Palace grounds. She ducked, looking about, fearful, whilst Anyman stood without a twitch.

"Thunderclap?" she said, looking past Anyman at the new fire ablaze in the grounds beyond the high fence. "He's probably stuck in traffic. I'll check. As for checking every rooftop..."

Anyman pointed without a word out into the darkness, his best guess as to the direction of the mortar fire.

"That's a lot of rooftops!" moaned Fastback. "I'm going to need... a restaurant!"

Anyman turned to the Palace as flames licked higher with an outbuilding having caught fire. Hands in pockets, trenchcoat tightened up, he waited for the man named Thunderclap to show up as Fastback sped off...

=========

He didn't have to wait long...

A cab turned up, but was stopped by a policeman who'd come to direct traffic away from the palace. More and more police and MPs were turning up to block the roads off now, and the sirens still wailed on, searchlights scanning the skies.

Jogging over, it was impossible to miss the new hero known as Thunderclap. Fastback turned up with a rush of air and a picnic basket full of hastily slapped together sandwiches. "Mmmph.. this is... mmmph, mmph... Thunderclap. Sir." she said, in between mouthfuls.

World War II - Putty Issue #2 29zc0ug

The new hero jogged over to the strange man wrapped in bandages. "You'd be... Anyman, I was told. Bad enough I have to put these bloody pyjamas on, then I have to catch a cab and the driver was swerving all over the road because I was distracted! Bought his jacket off him. Damned if it isn't cold!" he smiled, shivering. "Corporal Ian McDermott. Thunderclap, Sir." he said, saluting.

Fastback nodded, didn't bother speaking, pushed a bun into her mouth and ran off whilst still eating, away to scour the rooftops of London.

Watching her go, Thunderclap adjusted his helmet, looked at the gathering crowds 100m away at the edge of a police line, and turned to Anyman. "What's the plan sir? I don't hear any planes over these bloody sirens. Maybe the Nazis are hovering over here with a Zep, or they have one of their damned Ubermensch at work? been waiting to get a crack at some of them scumbags!" he grinned.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Mar 05 2011, 00:21

The new hero jogged over to the strange man wrapped in bandages. "You'd be... Anyman, I was told. Bad enough I have to put these bloody pyjamas on, then I have to catch a cab and the driver was swerving all over the road because I was distracted! Bought his jacket off him. Damned if it isn't cold!" he smiled, shivering. "Corporal Ian McDermott. Thunderclap, Sir." he said, saluting.

Fastback nodded, didn't bother speaking, pushed a bun into her mouth and ran off whilst still eating, away to scour the rooftops of London.

Watching her go, Thunderclap adjusted his helmet, looked at the gathering crowds 100m away at the edge of a police line, and turned to Anyman. "What's the plan sir? I don't hear any planes over these bloody sirens. Maybe the Nazis are hovering over here with a Zep, or they have one of their damned Ubermensch at work? been waiting to get a crack at some of them scumbags!" he grinned.

"That's correct, my codenam is Anyman. AKA Lt. Cmdr Lance Allard," Anyman said dryly. "No saluting in the field!"

"You are probably correct, Thunderclap," he continues. "I also doubt that there is a plane involved. What I think is going on is some kind of mortar or rifle grenade is being used from a nearby rooftop. I sent Fastback to scout the roofs so we will know where to go next."

"Some criminal by the name of Crypps is behind this attack, according to my sources."

"Never hurts to let the underlings," one of the voices in his head said to him, "to think the boss has a great deal more intelligence than he really does."

The other voice cackled.

"Now while we wait, why don't you tell me what you can do ... besides freeze in that costume. You would think that they would at least make it out of wool instead of cotton!"

"And this attack is too obvious and too slow. Something else is going on, so keep your eyes and ears open for it happening elsewhere."

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Mar 05 2011, 22:52

Thunderclap hurriedly whipped his hand down, glancing about. "Ah yes, sir. Sorry. Without the uniform I tend to forget... I... right." he held up a fist, flexing. Immediately Anyman felt something... a low frequency sound, humming. "Sonic boom, packed in there!" he said, grinning. "Also... I'm tougher, sir. Not quite bulletproof but those lunatics at the SSS unloaded four clips into me from an SMG. Point blank range! Those nutters! I tell ya... anyway, once I'd picked myself up, I was bruised... and feeling plenty sore, but a couple of days later? I was right as rain! That for me... wow. Real 'leap of faith' moment sir, let me tell you. Not bulletproof, but it takes a lot of them to put me down. And I was a boxer for my regiment, so now I can pack a REAL punch!"

==========

She sped up the fire escape steps at the back of another building...

The snow made going slippy, but she carried on. Munching on a biscuit she heaved herself over the lip onto the roof, expecting another empty roof. There were few flat roofed buildings, most were sloped. That made her job easier, but using the speed really drained her blood sugar levels, hence her voracious appetite!

The sheer speed made the rest of the world look like it moved in slow motion! She thought she could dodge individual snowflakes!

With a sigh she looked about. Another empty roof. With the last of the food in her hands she turned, looking for the next roof. She didn't look far. THERE!

==========

"Found 'em!" breathed Fastback when she skidded to a halt near the other two...

Thunderclap jumped with a start. "Don't do that!" he yelped. "You're too damned fast!"

Anyman didn't flinch, turning calmly.

"You were right sir. Half a dozen or so. Lowlifes from the look of it, but I don't understand. The weapon... looked home made! How the hell can someone cook up something like that that fires, what... " she turned, looking out. "Nearly a mile away?"

Thunderclap looked back to the palace. "What now sir? Take them out, get this business done with? Bloody traitors if you ask me! Should hang!"

Anyman turned. Every instinct said there was something else going on.. something... this was too easy, too open and shut...

An MP ran up, gaping at the uniforms. "I'm Captain Stoddard! Now I don't know quite what's going on round here, but I'm in charge, and you lot can get right back to whatever loony bin you crawled out of!"

OOC Allard and the others have priority clearance. In Allards case, the only ones with higher clearance at the heads of DICE, the chiefs of staff and the heads of government, and the royal family. The mortars are getting closer to actually striking the palace itself...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Mar 05 2011, 23:15

"You were right sir. Half a dozen or so. Lowlifes from the look of it, but I don't understand. The weapon... looked home made! How the hell can someone cook up something like that that fires, what... " she turned, looking out. "Nearly a mile away?"

Thunderclap looked back to the palace. "What now sir? Take them out, get this business done with? Bloody traitors if you ask me! Should hang!"

Anyman turned. Every instinct said there was something else going on.. something... this was too easy, too open and shut...

An MP ran up, gaping at the uniforms. "I'm Captain Stoddard! Now I don't know quite what's going on round here, but I'm in charge, and you lot can get right back to whatever loony bin you crawled out of!"

OOC Allard and the others have priority clearance. In Allards case, the only ones with higher clearance at the heads of DICE, the chiefs of staff and the heads of government, and the royal family. The mortars are getting closer to actually striking the palace itself....

Anyman pulls out his ID card.

"Captain, hate to pull rank on you but I'M in charge here. My agent here, Fastback, just found the nutters who are doing the attack. I want you to send a squad of men to deal with them. They are on a rooftop firing some kind of mortar over here. Please give Captain Stoddard directions and number of men you saw, Fastback."

As she does that, he looks around, thinking.

"Too easy. Way too easy. Not even any kind of real damage. This is a distraction as I thought it would be!"

After Fastback give her description, 'e resumes speaking with Captain Stoddard. "Captain, these men are probably in the employ of some local criminal boss by the names of Crypps. Scotland Yard could probably tell us more about the man. I found out about the possible attack earlier tonight but not in time to do anything about it. Get up there, stop them, round them up and find some at Scotland Yard who knows anything about the man called Crypps! Then question them ... 'ard!! They probably won't know anything, just being hired for the job but you never know ... one of them might have heard something or seen what their boss looks like."

"Once you get any information, you call that number that was on my identity card. Here, I will show it to you again."

He waits while Stoddard writes down the number.

"You contact us as soon as you have a glimmer of information. Don't make me come looking for you!"

He looks around.

"Fastback, Thunderclap, something else is going on while this distraction is taking place. We are going to split up and look for anything unusual that's at least a mile from this place. Since the attack is coming from the South [ooc: I just picked since we didn't say which direction], I will go North, Fastback you go East and Thunderclap you go West. Hit some of the highest rooftops in your area and look and listen from there."

"Wish we had some field radios or Very pistols ... hang on ... Fastback, jog over to the Black Beauty and ask the private if anything like that is stocked in the car. If so, bring it here, we can use them to signal each other if we find anything."

"QUestions?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Mar 06 2011, 23:42

Fastback shrugged. "Seems as good a plan as any sir. Why anyone would shell Buckingham Palace unless they are traitors is beyond me! The place will be locked down good and tight, and the Royals whisked away to some secret bomb shelter I don't doubt!"

Thunderclap nodded. "Best get the radios from the 'beast', Fastback"

As Fastback and the MP left the scene, Thunderclap watched them leave in the snow, then turned back to Anyman. "I reckon your right sir. I dare say there's some valuables and that in that big old place, but most of the good stuff will be stashed away! With the Royals out of there in double quick time, and all the good stuff hidden, why else would someone attack the place? Maybe the banks are being hit? We can get coppers down to as many as we can.. I don't know..." he said, stroking his chin.

'Optimus Filius' said a voice inside Anymans head.

Allard was smart. Even so he had to rack his brains a little and muttered "Best son? Favourite son?" He looked at the Palace, beyond the high gates and fence, at the guards scurrying about, scanning the skies and manning searchlights.

"Sir?" asked Thunderclap.

Allard frowned. What else was worth stealing from the Palace, and did the mysterious voice know something he didn't?

Something nagged at him. He'd been here as a tourist, but he seemed to have a more intimate knowledge of the place. But not.. he looked at the grand Palace. Not like this... in ruins, somehow. What would it do were the place to be flattened to the public morale? Maybe that was at stake here? But after Big Ben apparently taking a smashing the other night from a talking Ape, well, that had made the news then been the next days chip paper!

Thunderclap shrugged. "I'd best set off west. I'm sure Fastback can catch me." he reached into a pocket of his jacket, pulled out a few bits and a small compass. Flicking it open he held it steady then glanced to his left. "Right-oh! Hopefully she'll get some kind of wireless sorted then!"

Just then Fastback came back, huffing and puffing. She set on the ground a backpack with a great aerial sticking out the back. "Had to... turn on.. the speed... The Beast... didn't have... anything useful so went... back to ... DICE HQ and back..."

"But that's that's..." said Thunderclap, trying to figure out how far she'd run in seconds. "That's a long way from here!"

Fastback grinned... then swooned, keeling over in the snow!

OOC she's only brought one radio. In a straight line she can really pour it on, as evidenced by he frayed heat scorched uniform and the snow sizzling around her near worn through boots!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Mar 07 2011, 00:43

Thunderclap shrugged. "I'd best set off west. I'm sure Fastback can catch me." he reached into a pocket of his jacket, pulled out a few bits and a small compass. Flicking it open he held it steady then glanced to his left. "Right-oh! Hopefully she'll get some kind of wireless sorted then!"

Just then Fastback came back, huffing and puffing. She set on the ground a backpack with a great aerial sticking out the back. "Had to... turn on.. the speed... The Beast... didn't have... anything useful so went... back to ... DICE HQ and back..."

"But that's that's..." said Thunderclap, trying to figure out how far she'd run in seconds. "That's a long way from here!"

Fastback grinned... then swooned, keeling over in the snow!

OOC she's only brought one radio. In a straight line she can really pour it on, as evidenced by he frayed heat scorched uniform and the snow sizzling around her near worn through boots!.

"Great! Still hasn't learned to pace herself," Anyman growled. "Listen, you take the radio. Call Dice if you find anything. I'll go put her in the car and have the private run her back to HQ for some recuperation time. Going to have to make sure lots of food is stock in that thing if Fastback is anywhere near it!"

"Then what are you going to do, sir," Thunderclap asked.

"There's something about the palace. Something is nagging me about it. I'm going to go inside and see if whatever it is jogs my memory."

With that, he picks up Fastback and jogs over to the "Beast".

"Take her back to HQ," he orders to pretty driver. "If you find a place where you can get her something to eat or drink along the way, stop and get her something and try to get her to eat. Make sure to get a receipt so you can get reimbursed. She over-extended herself and passed out. Thunderclap is on patrol and I'm heading into the palace. You can let them know that when you get back. They ought to put a radio in this thing if you are going to be driving to emergencies. Flares. Very Pistols. Medicine kit. The works."

Putting Fastback gently in the backseat, he turns and heads for the palace.

ooc: If I wasn't American, would "Favorite Son" actually mean anything to me?
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Mar 07 2011, 01:23

OOC Favoured son wouldn't mean anything to anyone, regardless of their locale Smile I needed a 'puzzle' to do with Queen Victoria, scratched my head a bit, googled, found out who her 'favourite son' was and his name was the clue/codeword to get into the secret vault under Buckingham palace. That was in Puttys past life, so how much he remembers is up to you, hence the link I posted to the relevant thread (archived story, Issue #3, The Vanguard, The long dead queen and the holy grail)

Having deposited Fastback into the back of the huge black car, Allard watched it squirm away in the snow as the half mad driver nailed the throttle and unleashed several hundred horsepower, some way short of its 1500 or so, and still unmanageable in the conditions!

With a shake of his head he saw Thunderclap strap on the radio whilst he walked up to the gates at Buckingham Palace.

"Sorry sir! You have to get out of here! There's no... oh." said the guard, taking Allards proffered ID from him and looking at it. "SERGEANT!" he bellowed, and the man in charge hurried over, looking at the sky as another POCK! was sounded somewhere in the distance. In seconds that would change to a whistling sound, then BOOM! another explosion would go off. Allard looked through the bars of the fence to see the explosions had been in a line steadily getting closer to the Palace. The next one might drop just short if the distance hadn't been changed more than a notch or two on that home made Mortar device. That didn't give the MPs long before Buckingham Palace itself was in flames!

The sergeant looked at Allards bandaged face and shook his head. "Anyman, eh? Well we was warned the 'odd squad' might show up, probably to meet the King for a medal. Figured it'd be in better circumstances than this though! Come in, we'll ring this through and you need to answer a few security questions."

The questions were easy - DICE would advise on a question to ask, Allard would answer, and his i.d. would be confirmed. "Vanguard, Actor, Steed." were the answers, and the Sergeant handed the I.D. back.

"INCOMING!" shouted another guard as he ran for cover.

Anyman looked up... whatever he was going to do, he'd only have minutes before the next Mortar round was fired!

BOOOM!!!

From out of the darkness the grounds lit up as the round hit the side of the Palace proper, shattering windows and chiselling a hole in the masonry! Fires broke out in several rooms inside and the guards started shouting whilst others gathered buckets of water for fire control.

"Where to?" shouted the Sergeant.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Mar 07 2011, 01:29

OOC Ah yes, forgot to mention. There may be a visit from Nowhere Boy (formerly Nowhere Man, once upon a time Wraith of the Lore Knights) back to Caer Alwyn, home of the Lore Knights. I don't remember too much of Justin St Johns (Ghost Knights) ancestry but was there some history or other of Justin being from a long line of heroes? If so, you fancy taking on another character in addition to Putty? If not, no problems, it's just that your posting rate is nigh on as quick as Dave E's so a team up thread between the two of you is no problem. Before you joined this game Justin St John had retired from Heroics and set up the Vanguard at Caer Alwyn, whilst being on a number of important government committees and helping the Vanguard from behind the scenes with info and funding. If Harry'd stayed in the game British Bulldogs ancestor would've turned up at some point. Oh, and another of your creations, Wandafar (The Executive), was the teams head scientist/Gizmo inventor/soap opera expert... Dunno when Wandy turned up, but as an Alien he's bound to be long lived. Who's to say it wasn't at some point in WWII seeing as Earth is becoming a place where Aliens can get rich quick (in some way, often other than money)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Mar 07 2011, 04:31

"INCOMING!" shouted another guard as he ran for cover.

Anyman looked up... whatever he was going to do, he'd only have minutes before the next Mortar round was fired!

BOOOM!!!

From out of the darkness the grounds lit up as the round hit the side of the Palace proper, shattering windows and chiselling a hole in the masonry! Fires broke out in several rooms inside and the guards started shouting whilst others gathered buckets of water for fire control.

"Where to?" shouted the Sergeant.

"Might as well go in through the nicely broken wall," Anyman said. And putting words to action, he moved across the lawn and climbed through the wall into the palace.

ooc: Justin's Great-Uncle, if memory serves was the original Ghost Knight or the latest one before Justin. He is the one who fought in the war. But for the life of me, I can't remember his secret ID name. He was called Morningstar, if memory serves. There is a photo of him with his sidekick in the photos section of the old group. Did find a "history of the place" in the old Lore Knights' group:

At 9.30 on the dot Father Mitch appeared, "Good morning Bill," looking at all the players in the dining room he smiled widely. " I wish that my service tomorrow morning in church wil have as good a turn out! " he said laughing
"Well if everyone is ready, lets go "
Most people from the night before are there even the new age traveller who protests that shes only there to keep Lisa company. The young cat from last night is cradled in Lisa's arms and seems happy to come along with you.
The weather is fine and although not to sunny its not cold either, once outside Mitch turns to the group in the side car park of the Inn.
" This seems a good enough place to start as any," he said smiling. " No one knows for sure when the Keep next door was built but it seems to be late Norman. however there is some evidence that there was a previous Mott and Bailey castle made of wood before 1066. The standing stones and Tor are dated from around the same time as Stonehenge so technically this castle could be in use even back then. As you can understand in a time before hoovers and microwaves any castle needed servants and craftsmen to operate, and they needed somewhere to relax and spend their wages, and therefore this pub seems to be created to cater to them. Legend states that it was in this castle when the greatest heroes and protectors of the land lived. Ready to travel anywhere needed at the Kings command. This is where we think the name of the pub comes from. "The Kings Dozen" therefore 12 Knights"
The original pub according to legend was burned down by a highwayman and so in Tudor times the pub was expanded into a coaching Inn and then expanded again into the B+B you see before you about 30 years ago.
Walking up the Coast Road puts you all outside the ruins of the keep its crumpling walls have seen better days as there are many gaps in the walls where people have taken the stone to use elsewhere.
"As you can see the castle is in need of repair, Justin's Greatuncle did all he did to protect this site but there any so much you can do with 1000 years of damage by time.
Legend told of a hidden underground caves beneath the keep but many children of the village including myself and many others have searched the cliffs and the castle looking for it without success. Ten years ago a little boy fell down the cliff and died while looking for the caves, his mother said he had been having strange dreams about a voice calling him to the stones all the way from Liverpool. He ran away from home one night and 3 days later was spotted washed up on the rocks below, funny thing being that when they searched his room they found drawings of the village, perfect in every way but he had never been here before. Once again Justin's Great uncle stepped in and paid for the burial of the young lad in my graveyard usually reserved for nobles. The parents family where happy to allow their son to rest in the village he loved so much. The Old Earl then ordered and paid for a full echosound and groundscan's which proved that no such caverns existed under here which should stop the loss of any more young lives."
Walking over the filled in moat by the main gate you enter the outer courtyard, although there is rubble by the walls the centre of the yard and the walls of the keep are intact and quite clear of rubbish, as if its cleared regulary.
In the courtyard you can make out the location where the out-buildings and and stables once stood centuries ago. By the cliff wall is a small well still stands but looks like atlest 4000 years of rubble has blocked the shaft years ago
Over in the inside of the keep you can see that where once there was many floors to the tower. holes are seen where once huge wooden beams held the floorboards, over on one wall is the remains of a huge stone stairway leading to a floor which no longer exists.
From around the corner comes a young lad, maybe 16 or 17 who looks startled by the appearance of the tour "Hello Father" the youth said respectfully "I'm only having a look around. Is this private property ?? I didnt mean to trespass !" "Oh no lad is okay to share in the rich history of the Caer, Your not from around here are you?" Mitch added " No Father but I err.. like looking at castles and came to see this one. I like history !" he added as an afterthought. "Well I'm giving these good people a guided tour so if you want to join us. your more than welcome" Mitch said smiling. "Thank you Father. I'd love to, My names Gwyn by the way!!"
So with another member to the rag tag party Mitch continued the tour. walking the group out of the Keep and grounds thru a gap in the wall.
You scramble down and then up the small moat with Mitch explaining that in the old days there would be huge spikes and traps filing this moat rather than water to slow down any attackers while the knights on the walls above could pepper with arrows, stones and hot oil.
Close by now stand the huge monoliths of the standing stones, weather by 4000 years of the elements and the sea air. The circle is made up of 7 megaliths and a flat "alter" stone in the middle "Who knows how many virgins lost their young lives while lying on this very stone" Mitchs commented "Less I bet than all the young girls who lost their virginity lying on there thru out the centuries !!" Liza added giggling to Rhiannon.
Mitch Glared at his sister and marched the group up the small Tor of the burial mound. On top of the Tor was a small circluar stone table where a siteseeing map has been placed showing which direction different towns etc where to the village and distances. From the top of the Tor you can over the wall to the Georgian Manor House and its grounds kept in perfect condition by an expert gardener.
Walking down main street you pass many small houses and a few shops untill you get to the town square. In the middle is a large statue of a Knight in full armour. On the shield and tabbard is the cross of St George but someone had painted over it years ago replacing the "English" flag with the Red Dragon of Wales. Mitch glossed over the damage and quickly moved the group around to Vicarage Road walking past the parked Camper Van's and around the Vicarage itself and lead them group in to the church yard and passed the vicarage.
Mitch explained that there are two sections two the graveyard one for the villagers and then the special "nobles" section where the boy and now Justin's greatuncle now lie. Looking at the graves they seem to date back hundreds of years each including the boy and the old duke have inscribed a St Georges Cross on a shield, and all the names in the section seem to belong to Lords, Ladies, Sir's and Dukes. Mitch tells you that the Old Duke insisted that the word "Squire" be added to the boys gravestone so he could be buried in this section. The boys parents seemed happy with this addition so they allowed it.
In the church is a stained glass window showing a knight wearing the St Georges cross dating back 400 years which shows that this village has been connected to the knights all its created.
Its taken about two and a half hours for the tour so its near noon by the time you return to the inn. Gwyn tells you all that his parents left him here to retutn for him later. Mitch offers to buy the lad dinner at the Inn, and once again the Inn is filled with the sound of the visitors talking about what they have seen that morning.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next