The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chat about anything else!

+3
dunecat
DavidMcMahon
Admin
7 posters

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Chat about anything else! - Page 11 Empty Re: Chat about anything else!

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Mar 07 2023, 00:58

Sorry I sort of dropped off the face of the Earth. Been obsessing over Civilization 6. Haven't won a single game yet even on an easier setting. Embarassed

I'll try catching up to everything over the next few days.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 07 2023, 08:31

Everyone needs to step away for a while, great to see you back! I'll be updating later today. Have a garage to sort out (like, it's full of boxes and can't move in it) and it's blummin freezing out there.

In terms of video games I can't stay away from, recently it's been Crusader Kings 3, Stellaris and most recently Knights of Honour 2. That last one is a real time sink. Like you are plugging away at it then notice the time and you should have been in bed hours ago. I try and stay off it if i things I want/need to do, otherwise nothing else gets done!

Cheers, Paul
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 29 2023, 09:46

Apologies for the lack of updates! I'm on holiday in Spain (Lanzarote) but have internet and a laptop so had planned to have a quiet hour here and there to get some posting in. Alas I've been out from dawn till dusk (and later) every day so it might be a forlorn hope. I'll try my best but am back Saturday night so expect something by Sunday at the latest.

Cheers, Paul
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Mar 29 2023, 12:10

No worries my friend enjoy a well earned rest. Although from the sounds of it, it sounds more like a change than a rest.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Apr 04 2023, 17:37

Back! Well, trying to be back. Internet is on/off at random and from what I can gather it's a national thing (for Virgin Media - BB supplier). With that in mind I'll have to remember to save updates before I hit post otherwise I'll lose the whole lot...

Other than that, had a nice week off, got sun burned (ouch) and drunk/ate/chilled out more than I should so back on the diet and exercise....

Thanks for your patience guys!

Cheers, Paul
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Apr 04 2023, 20:28

Admin wrote:Back! Well, trying to be back. Internet is on/off at random and from what I can gather it's a national thing (for Virgin Media - BB supplier). With that in mind I'll have to remember to save updates before I hit post otherwise I'll lose the whole lot...

Other than that, had a nice week off, got sun burned (ouch) and drunk/ate/chilled out more than I should so back on the diet and exercise....

Thanks for your patience guys!

Cheers, Paul

welcome back mate, glad you had some time to wind down.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jul 06 2023, 11:23

Something I don't think I've mentioned on here....

Sometimes I don't have access to my computer - either at work, in bed, out doing something or my son comes around and hogs it. I want to update but can't. At one stage I thought 'I need something else to do other than sit at the computer for hours updating the game'.

Anyway, long story short I looked into binding PDFs into hardback (and occasionally softback) books. After much trial (and a lot of error) I'm *almost* there. By that I mean *almost* retail quality. It formed into 'I wonder if I can...?' to 'how good can I make them?'

The DC Heroes RPG (which we use a variant of - house ruled a lot of course) is/was a great game but has been out of print for thirty years this year. Chances of a return=nil. So I thought I'd come out with my own 'anniversary edition'. Unauthorised and not for sale of course, but for personal use it's far below DCs notice. I wouldn't normally do this (I just print and bind them, takes a couple of hours to do a book) but I had such an extended time without being able to post for various reasons (no internet at many work locations) I needed something to do. Added a border, art, new cover, wrote the tables out again and the final version will be tweaked and improved. Not sure if the cover will change too. We'll see.

The prototype came out like this:

Chat about anything else! - Page 11 1688638134840
Brief was simple - add colour to every page.

Chat about anything else! - Page 11 1688638134859
Some things work with the prototype, others don't. I suspect I will ditch the edge border.

Chat about anything else! - Page 11 1688638134878
As well as being an ink hog not everyone has a printer that can print borderless

Chat about anything else! - Page 11 1688638159199
Made a new cover for the book. This will be changed for the final version.

Chat about anything else! - Page 11 1688638159223
Some things don't work. The extra tables and classic covers came about because I messed the 'gutter' up (wrong side of the page).

Chat about anything else! - Page 11 1688638159247
Need to get high res art to use if I can. All images grabbed from google searches so quality is variable.

Anyway, the point is that whenever the final version of this PDF is finished you guys will be the first to get a copy (if you want it). I could do with extra eyes to critique, say what doesn't work/needs tweaking and so on. Pointless giving you the PDF as is right now as it's going to change (a lot).
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jul 09 2023, 18:13

Admin wrote:Something I don't think I've mentioned on here....

Anyway, the point is that whenever the final version of this PDF is finished you guys will be the first to get a copy (if you want it). I could do with extra eyes to critique, say what doesn't work/needs tweaking and so on. Pointless giving you the PDF as is right now as it's going to change (a lot).

Wow Paul this looks amazing be great to look through a more modern version of the PDF with book marks and full index, but just the modern layout and more easy to read format would be a big improvement. Not sure where you find the time, mate.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jul 10 2023, 08:06

With the way work shifts have been over the last three weeks, the answer is, "I don't find the time!"

And with that in mind, time for updates! (Because today I DO have time, phew!)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Jan 03 2024, 22:47

Chat about anything else! - Page 11 Screen12

The Haunt from the City of Heroes MMORPG. Not bad for a game that was closed 10 years ago. Still active with a small group of folks. Look up City of Heroes Rebirth for a website and link to the game. I'm on it all the time. Many European players on it too.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jan 04 2024, 09:08

DavidMcMahon wrote:The Haunt from the City of Heroes MMORPG.  Not bad for a game that was closed 10 years ago.  Still active with a small group of folks.  Look up City of Heroes Rebirth for a website and link to the game.  I'm on it all the time.  Many European players on it too.

Wow, that is great, I'd love to play but I don't have a system that would be sufficient to run such a game and time in which to play it. Are there any in-game videos, people put out of playing it? Sometimes watching others play is as close as I can get today.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jan 04 2024, 14:18

Here's the official Rebirth YouTube site

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzWs7rNYeF-v4r41s3Hoy7Q

not much on there but gives you an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMTiHKeMj5E

here's a nice one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp49fmag-lg

The first 1:45 minutes is him making his character. He did a couple of videos.

Hope it helps.

I've heard of others doing live streaming but don't know where to look for them. The official Rebirth website might have the information.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jan 04 2024, 14:35

DavidMcMahon wrote:Here's the official Rebirth YouTube site

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzWs7rNYeF-v4r41s3Hoy7Q

not much on there but gives you an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMTiHKeMj5E

here's a nice one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp49fmag-lg

The first 1:45 minutes is him making his character.  He did a couple of videos.

Hope it helps.

I've heard of others doing live streaming but don't know where to look for them.  The official Rebirth website might have the information.

Thanks, Dave, I've subscribed and will look at them when I have a chance.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jan 16 2024, 15:15

BTW 1st Dave hope all your scans go well. And secondly does the new ruling on City of Heroes by the owners over one of the servers, effect what will happen to your server? Curious to know, since we were only speaking about it a few days ago. Gamesradar is what I am referring to if you've not seen it.

Hadn't heard of Gamersradar. But I have heard that Homecoming did get a license from NCSoft to run the game officially. No word on whether it has any affect on Rebirth, the private server I play on. I like Rebrith. It also has lots of European players as well, mostly from your neck of the woods. I've tried Homecoming and Thunderspy and Unity but Rebirth I like the best. Each one has some differences, like a different character class or costume choices.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Steeple_jackuk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 15 2024, 15:35

I'm still alive! Just a quick check in! All sorts of health issues. PSA count high (poss Prostate issues) and the retest to check couldn't take place because of blood in the urine so that's another (new) issue. On top of that my achilles is knackered (limping about) and my left arm/neck/shoulder has this weird aching/sore thing going on making it hard to use the left arm for much. No idea what that is. Blood Pressure still too high, going up despite being on more meds. On top of that the kids are off, always seem to be being visited, or vitiing, or going to hospital or Doctors or something else=time to sit down limited. I will *try* to sit down tonight to update and if not first thing tomorrow (in the afternoon I have my son over for a few days). Seem to have caught something giving me a tight chest, persistent cough and headaches... I'm not going to mention the C word (no, the other one, Covid) but it wouldn't surprise me with all that's going on and my run of luck.

Apologies chaps, things not a lot of fun at the moment but I'll get through it.

Thanks for your patience!

Cheers, Paul
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Feb 15 2024, 15:44

Admin wrote:I'm still alive! Just a quick check in! All sorts of health issues. PSA count high (poss Prostate issues) and the retest to check couldn't take place because of blood in the urine so that's another (new) issue. On top of that my achilles is knackered (limping about) and my left arm/neck/shoulder has this weird aching/sore thing going on making it hard to use the left arm for much. No idea what that is. Blood Pressure still too high, going up despite being on more meds. On top of that the kids are off, always seem to be being visited, or vitiing, or going to hospital or Doctors or something else=time to sit down limited. I will *try* to sit down tonight to update and if not first thing tomorrow (in the afternoon I have my son over for a few days). Seem to have caught something giving me a tight chest, persistent cough and headaches... I'm not going to mention the C word (no, the other one, Covid) but it wouldn't surprise me with all that's going on and my run of luck.

Apologies chaps, things not a lot of fun at the moment but I'll get through it.

Thanks for your patience!

Cheers, Paul

Good to hear from you Paul, I was getting a bit concerned. But now I see my concerns are not in vain. It's as if things that have been creeping up on you for a while, have chosen this moment to hit you, but good. I am so sorry to hear how hard all this has hit you. And as much as I would love to get the next round of posts out, I'd much rather you take a break to get yourself better without the stress of worrying about the game. However, that being said, if it is a relief and a help then by all means let's press on. I guess my concern is I'd rather have you being better than pressing on regardless. I'd rather this continue long-term than be that final thing that doesn't end up helping when so many other things have seemingly ganged up on you my friend.

Paul for my part, I am happy to wait until you feel ready again, so please don't feel under any pressure from me. But thanks for the update.

I would ask if there is anything I can do, but at this distance, it's hardly likely other than to pray for you.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 29 2024, 09:22

Apologies (again) I'm dealing with a family bereavement. Seems it's one thing after another but my Brother passed away (out of the blue) on Sunday so have been trying to sort that out (in my head, making arrangements, financial etc). He was younger than I am and this is unexpected so something of a shock for the family especially my Mum.I'll get back to things (promise!) but life is somewhat taking a centre stage at the moment. No idea on cause yet but he had a few health issues though nothing to suggest they would be this serious, hence it came out of the blue and both I and my Mum were present when the call came in from Paramedics on the scene to say they were working on reviving him, so our hopes were raised (after the initial shock) then dashed fifteen minutes later with a follow up call.

That was on top of the GFs Dad passing away five days before so helping her deal with that, and ongoing health issues of my own which now seem trivial in comparison. Life has a strange way of heaping stuff on top of you sometimes.

Cheers, Paul
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Feb 29 2024, 15:31

Admin wrote:Apologies (again) I'm dealing with a family bereavement. Seems it's one thing after another but my Brother passed away (out of the blue) on Sunday so have been trying to sort that out (in my head, making arrangements, financial etc). He was younger than I am and this is unexpected so something of a shock for the family especially my Mum.I'll get back to things (promise!) but life is somewhat taking a centre stage at the moment. No idea on cause yet but he had a few health issues though nothing to suggest they would be this serious, hence it came out of the blue and both I and my Mum were present when the call came in from Paramedics on the scene to say they were working on reviving him, so our hopes were raised (after the initial shock) then dashed fifteen minutes later with a follow up call.

That was on top of the GFs Dad passing away five days before so helping her deal with that, and ongoing health issues of my own which now seem trivial in comparison. Life has a strange way of heaping stuff on top of you sometimes.

Cheers, Paul

Oh, Paul, these must be two very difficult deaths one compounding the other especially taken together with all the other personal health issues you're recovering from. I'm so sorry for you and your family. This does make us realise what we enjoy is only a game, but what you're going through is real with lasting repercussions. Life cannot be the same and for you and your family, I am so sorry.

Please do feel you can reach out to me if it might be of help. I will be thinking and praying for you all at this difficult time.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Feb 29 2024, 21:04

Man, I'm so sorry to hear that. Take all the time you need. The game can wait. Family comes first. If there is anything we can do, let us know.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Mar 18 2024, 08:38

Just checking in, still alive!

Waiting for Blood tests back to confirm whether it's Cancer of one form or another (hopefully not), Brothers Funeral on Friday, running about doing stuff for that (and that will cost me a few thousand pounds as well, another sting in the tail). Blood Pressure is *sort of* getting lower but will spike on Wednesday with a tooth being pulled Shocked at the Dentist and to top it off the car decided to partially expire so I'm expecting a bill for that later today. Nice.

Anyway! I hope you guys are all well - apologies for my absence but it's been kinda crazy at this end. I hope (once this week is done) to resume something approaching normality as I *need* something to take my attention away from all this other stuff. I always tell myself it could be worse, and it can, but sometimes you wonder quite how it can be... Rolling Eyes

Like I say - if I can get through this week without any more disasters (there's been all sorts of revelations about the people my Brother called friends and how they took advantage, hence penniless and why I'm paying for the funeral) I can resume my normal existence. *Hopefully*

Thanks for your patience, I'm still here, clinging on! Laughing

Cheers, Paul
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Mar 18 2024, 20:33

Sorry to hear of your ongoing woes. Take you time. Watch a comedy that's actually funny and get some laughs in to help you destress and relax.
Only big thing happening to me is I got a brand new CPAP machine this morning. Sleep Sleep Sleep
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Mar 19 2024, 08:21

Paul, you are so right, things could be worse and in one sense if we are just a cosmic accident, a hiccup of evolution why should we be surprised? What is surprising is that those who don’t believe in God expect better. Don’t you think it’s strange that we are thinking – why me, why now? Who are we addressing? Is there something hard-wired into us, that cannot escape from the haunting sense that this isn’t how life should be? But from whom, and how and why?

Perhaps the good thing that all this pain can bring you (and my heart goes out to you in all the struggles that have suddenly come at once) is clarity that helps shake us from the stupor of just stumbling from day to day surviving without stopping to think, where is my life going? Especially as you’re amid funerals and, ironically, as we approach Easter – where out of tragedy, out of death also came new life.

I am continuing to pray for you at this time, my friend, that you at least have support even if only from a distance.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 19 2024, 17:46

Cheers guys, I just have to get through the next few days I hope. My health issues appear to be easing but the GP has messed up again. Gave a blood sample which they checked... apparently to see if it was, in fact, blood. Not to, you know, check for the suspected cancer that was the reason for the blood test in the first place, so I have to give another sample.

Rolling Eyes Ah well, one day it will be resolved. Maybe Laughing
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Mar 19 2024, 20:36

Did they say if you had human blood or some other kind of blood? Alien maybe? cheers
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Steeple_jackuk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Mar 20 2024, 08:05

Admin wrote:Cheers guys, I just have to get through the next few days I hope. My health issues appear to be easing but the GP has messed up again. Gave a blood sample which they checked... apparently to see if it was, in fact, blood. Not to, you know, check for the suspected cancer that was the reason for the blood test in the first place, so I have to give another sample.

Rolling Eyes Ah well, one day it will be resolved. Maybe Laughing

affraid Wow talk about rough treatment. Well at least you know it will be resolved...eventually. It's the anticipation that can be hard to deal with while you're waiting. Trust all goes well at your brother's funeral as well.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next