The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CHAT ABOUT THE GAME PT 2

2 posters

Go down

CHAT ABOUT THE GAME PT 2 Empty CHAT ABOUT THE GAME PT 2

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Aug 01 2020, 20:38

I found a public domain villain that might be of use to use. He is called Misery and he pilots the "Air Tomb" where he captures and enslaves the souls of dead pilots.

Here is part of his Fandom post.

Misery

First Appearance: Air Fighters Comics vol. 1 #12 (September 1943)

Original Publisher: Hillman

Created by Harry Stein and Fred Kida

Origin
In 1738, Pierre Duray was a French inventor who created a pair of artificial wings that enabled him to fly. He tested his invention on cliffs near Calcutta in India. Those who witnessed this technological miracle deemed Duray to be a devil using witchcraft and burned him alive at the stake, on the very cliff that he made his flight from. Duray swore to live on, and on the fateful cliff, an airplane shaped formation appeared, apparently as a forecast of man's journey into flight. The formation became the subject of local legend, and came to be known as the "Air Tomb". Over the next 200 years, Duray, now calling himself Misery, collected the souls of brave men in this Air Tomb. He appeared during World War II, and began downing entire squadrons of British planes, and threatened to continue doing so until the hero Airboy sacrificed himself to Misery. Air Boy tracked Misery down and confronted him, and ultimately managed to defeat him. However, Misery returned, seemingly obsessed with Airboy, but the hero managed to escape with the help of Valkyrie, who broke Misery's hold on her when he attempted to kill Airboy.

Misery was a supernatural and immortal creature, with a bony body and a flaming skull-like head. He claimed that he was the son of evil and could not die. Airboy believed that he was death itself. Misery had some strange connection to the cliff and the Black Hole of Calcutta (apparently, a volcanic pit that led into the "Air Tomb", not the historical prison), which erupted with lava when Misery was injured. Misery was able to transform the "Air Tomb" into a flying aircraft, though it was made of heavy stone. It did not have any guns, but could emit an electrical burst which could down a plane. The interior could be filled with toxic fumes. Misery seemed to be capable of enveloping an area in darkness, he could transmit his voice over any radio and he possessed mind control abilities. Misery was said to float when he moved across the ground. He sometimes wielded an axe and he was a good combatant, especially adept at kicking.

Public Domain Appearances
Air Fighters Comics vol.1 #12
Airboy Comics vol. 2 #12

CHAT ABOUT THE GAME PT 2 Hillma11
CHAT ABOUT THE GAME PT 2 Hillma10
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

CHAT ABOUT THE GAME PT 2 Empty Re: CHAT ABOUT THE GAME PT 2

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Aug 05 2020, 17:48

A link for a DC Heroes RPG character database with comments by the guy who put it up.

https://www.dcheroesrpg.com/
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Aug 05 2020, 20:13

RE-reading the old issues and getting a kick out of how we first interacted together.  So many things I had forgotten.  Like this little gem when the Haunt first met everyone:

Re: The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception"

CHAT ABOUT THE GAME PT 2 Empty  Admin on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:55 pm
OOC British Bulldog and Winston are actively trying to resist attacking their friends. They act last.

Lionheart acts first, Haunt second, Frostbite third (joint with Yeoman), Sentinel fourth.

As far as I can make out, Lionheart bangs his 10 points in strength (lifting him to 15APs strength, or around 750 tons that he can press...

Lionheart attacks with 9 Dex against 10 Dex (British Bulldog). Target number is 11. 2d10 → [7,7] = (14) DOUBLE! plus 2d10 → [10,4] = (14). Holy smoke, that's a hit and a half! 6 Column Shifts... BB's 12 Body is enough to make him bulletproof, cannon proof for the most part... but not Lionheart proof! 15RAPs damage!

Lionheart delivers an incredible spin kick to British Bulldogs jaw... and sends him flying across the cave to crash into a computer server!

There is a huge smash as the lupine form flattens an expensive looking machine, and Wandafar (finally) looks up and takes notice. "Hey! Vat is going on? Oh no. Justin vill be moaning loudly at zis. Again. Always ze same ven Bulldog comes to visit!" he sighs.

Retribution looks up and seems to appraise the fight. "Bulldog is down. That means that..."

The wolf form staggered to its feet, impossibly, and roared its anger!

Wandafar glanced back at Retribution. "He is changed much since ze Executive years mein friend. He cannot be easily stopped when angry!"

Lionheart settled back on his feet... Bulldog should be out for the count with that powerful blow. In fact, he hoped that he hadn't hurt... He gaped when the wolf form got up, shaking its head!

Frostbite makes ready to fire off a beam of cold...

Yeoman shouts "Sorry about this Wandy, but I'm gonna have to smack this doggy something hard! Might make a mess!" he laughed.

"Wait! Nooooo!" moaned Wandafar, slumping to the desk theatrically and thumping a fist up and down.

Retribution rolled his eyes. "Perhaps I should..."

"No, let zis lot sort it out. If ze doggy goes nuts it might need blesting." muttered Wandafar from the desk, his voice muffled. Retribution shrugged.

Haunt had seen enough! He fired off his intimidating aura at all in the cavern!

OOC This is a multi attack without penalty, attacking all within range regardless of being friend or foe! Haunt has 9APs Aura of Fear. Opposing value is Intelligence, Resistance value is Mind.

Against Lionheart 2d10 → [4,4] = (Cool DOUBLE plus 2d10 → [10,9] = (19) Ouch... 27. 6 Column shifts. Lionheart has a Mind Field which I assume is in use. 8RAPs. Lionheart runs in fear!

Against Frostbite 2d10 → [5,7] = (12) 4RAPs. Frostbite runs in fear!

Against Sentinel 2d10 → [6,1] = (7) 4RAPs. Sentinel runs in fear!

Against Yeoman 2d10 → [8,8] = (16) DOUBLE! plus 2d10 → [4,5] = (9) 25 total. 6 Columns...11Raps Yeoman freezes in fear!

Against British Bulldog 2d10 → [7,10] = (17) 3 Columns. 6RAPs (he has mental field in beserker wolf form, but it wasn't enough to block this attack) British Bulldog runs in fear!

Against Winston 2d10 → [7,3] = (10) 4RAPs. Winston runs in fear!

Against Wandafar 2d10 → [6,8] = (14) Failed.

Against Retribution 2d10 → [1,1] = (2) FAILED!

Lionheart, Frostbite and Silver Sentinel shriek like little girls, then turn and run the opposite way!

British Bulldog and Winston yelp, then run to hide into a corner!

Wandafar shakes his head. "Impressive ettack, but vill not work against 8th level mind." he tapped the side of his head. "I hef several brains you see. Ven vun is under attack ze other two kick in und make it all better for ze poorly vun."

Retribution growled "Retribution does not feel fear. However..."

OOC 2d10 → [6,9] = (15) Perception check, passed

He narrowed his eyes. "Something happened here. The fellow who drop kicked Bulldog winced at the same time Bulldog and Winston did. An attack of some kind? Wandafar. Scan the cave for unusual energy signatures."

Wandafar shrugged and tapped on a computer. "Justin vill lid his flip for zis mess. Zere is nothing to... vait. Vot? Ultrasonic signal, strong and constant. Heard only by doggies. I suppose ze Lionheart chap has some doggy in him?"

Retribution looked at the screen. "It's coming from... the dog? Winston?"

Haunt turned and looked at the huge creature, a 1500lb Bulldog the size of a horse. Massive, and yet something was out of place... The collar had grown to match the size of the beast? With a stretched arm he snatched it from Winston, snapping it with his superhuman strength from the whimpering beast!

Up closer, Wandafar turned it over. A disc was attached to the inside of the leather collar. He plucked it from the collar, looked at it, then poked it with a tiny screwdriver.

Instantly British Bulldog and Winston sagged and started to transform... Bulldog back into near naked Kevin, Winston into a normal sized dog! They still cowered in fear, mind...

Retribution turned. "Perhaps you should cancel your 'Haunt'?" he said as he watched Lionheart, Frostbite and Sentinel hiding in the far corners of the cave... He pulled a face as he saw Yeoman had... well, wet himself, as he curled up in a heap on the floor! Wandafar couldn't help but point and laugh, and scrambled about, looking for a phone to take a picture...

OOC Combat was over when Haunt used that power of his! It's a mental attack if anyone wondered. Lionheart and co aren't bad against mental attacks, but those rolls were brutal!
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Aug 05 2020, 20:25

Forgotten how much I lied to other heroes about the Haunt's origins.

Frostbite nodded, then added, "You're a being of supernatural power then, how did you come by you powers?"

"Once upon a time," the Haunt rasps out in a faintly bitter amused tone, "there was an outlaw living in the Old American West. He raped, he looted, he robbed, he rustled cattle, he stole horses, he sold rifles and whiskey to the Indians, and he murdered. As happens to most folks of this type, Justice finally caught up to him and he was hanged. Imagine his surprise to find himself not going onto to his Eternal Reward. Some Greater Power decreed that he would return to Earth to bring others of his type to Justice and would continue to do so until the scales were balanced."

"Given his powers and some training in their use, he was sent back to Earth to do his work for Justice. Here he is today by your side."

"Currently, I am looking for the murderers of a man named Toynbee, who was murdered most fowl tonight. His estranged wife and their son were kidnapped by another group who wanted some sort of formula that Toynbee had created that supposedly might make lots of super-powered folks. They told me over a computer camera that they would now kill both woman and child since I showed up and not Toynbee. So I seek one known group of murderers and one known group of kidnappers who might now also be murderers."

"once this little problem with non-living foes is taken care of, I would appreciate any extra help in bringing these murderers and kidnappers to Justice! It was why I came with Retribution tonight, to find clues from the computer camera as to the location of these men."

ooc: And as you know, this origin is total BS but he is an actor so hopefully he pulled it off wonderfully! CHAT ABOUT THE GAME PT 2 Icon_cheers CHAT ABOUT THE GAME PT 2 Icon_cheers
But the rest about Toynbee and his family is all true.
Also, his Fog power and his Aura of Fear power come from his costume, which makes them technological devices that Wandafar probably scanned while we were in the cavern. So he might be wondering why a supernatural being has a high tech costume to use with his "supernatural" powers. Or not, since he isn't from around here. CHAT ABOUT THE GAME PT 2 Lol

CHAT ABOUT THE GAME PT 2 5-41
DavidMcMahonCosmic Level

CHAT ABOUT THE GAME PT 2 Icon_user_profile CHAT ABOUT THE GAME PT 2 Icon_contact_pm
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Aug 05 2020, 20:50

You know, looking over these old issues, it becomes very apparent that the dice in this game hate the Haunt!

Here's an example -

CHAT ABOUT THE GAME PT 2 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception"

CHAT ABOUT THE GAME PT 2 Empty  Admin on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:48 pm
OOC I just used the weight of the stuff on top of him (9) against his Body (11) and the dice (a roll of 15) did the rest. A roll of 14 or less would have meant no damage... In normal circumstances (i.e. no freakish rolls, a roll of 9-11 as an average) there's no way Haunt would have felt that. Just the dice thing. Again.

On another note anyone else notice the complete change and overhaul of the interface system? I think it makes things easier, just need to get my head round what all the bits mean.
CHAT ABOUT THE GAME PT 2 Sf_h_26
Admin
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Aug 06 2020, 19:33

Yeah, a lot of NPCs have been around since, if not day one then at least week 2 or 3 (2009). i'll dig Yeomans stats out and start to tidy up some of those character holding posts in the Character Datafile area. May delete some to combine them etc, and bump the relevant (most used ones) to the top as I have to scroll down or look on my laptop desktop screen (which is an absolute mess of character sheets)...

Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Aug 06 2020, 20:07

When I get free time at work I'm going through the old issues and cutting and pasting things that might be of interest.  Should make it easier for you to combine those things in the future.

Like I had totally forgotten that one of the very first groups the Haunt ran into were a gang of vampires!  Puts a whole new perspective on him and Dracula to my mind.   Wink

And nice to know I sort of had outlined how Wandafar's powers and skills might have translated over to DC heroes.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Aug 06 2020, 21:42

BTW, did you ask the other two if they wanted to do a team up adventure of beginning heroes? Or still too busy to ask? Basketball

We could be the Terrific Trio! Sleep
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Aug 07 2020, 22:30

SLANG DICTIONARY
hold my beer
[ hohld mahy beer ]

WHAT DOES HOLD MY BEER MEAN?
Hold my beer is an expression joked about being said before an unthinking person does something dangerous or stupid. On the internet, hold my beer is used to make fun of decisions (that are seen to be bad) made by public figures or companies.

Hold my beer
Used to express an individual's boastful intent to outdo another person as an act of sport or competitiveness, expressed immediately after hearing about their achievement. Frequently used sarcastically or ironically.
Coworker 1: "Did you hear that Dan got fired for setting Mike's chair on fire?"
Coworker 2: "Hold my beer"

hold my beer
The last thing you remember saying before you woke up in the hospital.
Drunk guy 1: dude that was so cool!
Drunk guy 2: I bet I can do that. Here, hold my beer.
by madmaninabox April 18, 2017

hold my beer
1. (originally) The act of handing one's drink to another before attempting a dangerous stunt--that has never been before attempted; this often involves an element of stupidity.

Person: OMG, that guy just performed a perfect back three-and-a-half somersault pike dive!
Drunk: Pfft! That's nothing--hold my beer!

Drunk 1: No one's ever tried riding from the roof on a sheet of metal.
Drunk 2: Here. Hold my beer.

2. (online)
a. Video clips of people performing dangerous feats that they often immediately regret.

Anything classified as a fail is a possible "hold my beer" video clip.

b. (Twitter) An indication that, although events were awful, even worse calamities are about to present themselves.

2016: I've done my damage.
2017: Here. Hold my beer.
I can do THAT! Here, hold my beer!
by HowDidEyeGetHere April 19, 2018

hold my beer
(1) The act of giving up one's alcoholic beverage temporarily to attempt a stunt he or she has never ventured.

(2) Ones personal death wish fueled by ignorance.
Person: "Omg that guy tight-roped Niagara Falls"
Drunk Guy: If you think that's somethin', just "hold my beer"

Person: Did he just do a double backflip?
DG: double backflip you say..hold my beer

hold my beer
When a person (redneck) says "hold my beer" you hold his beer with your left hand and with your right hand you hold your phone with the camera app open and 911 on speed dial and then you see what he/she does
Hey I can jump that "hold my beer".
by Lostinwarfare May 28, 2017

You get the idea.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down