The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chat about the game...

+3
DavidMcMahon
dunecat
Admin
7 posters

Page 25 of 39 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 39  Next

Go down

Chat about the game... - Page 25 Empty Re: Chat about the game...

Post  Admin Fri Dec 23 2016, 01:06

Oh and before I forget, happy Birthday David! I think I noticed it was your birthday this week? Hope you had a good un Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 29 2016, 18:31

Strewth. Between work and family/friends being off over the holidays my time is limited (to say the least!) With a bit of luck should be ok to get things rolling again tonight when I get home. Hope you are both well and had a good Christmas! Cheers, Paul
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 09 2017, 17:28

Rough week last week, got one more naff shift to sort out tonight (just about to hit sack) after that the week gets decidedly easier and posts will start up again. Apologies for the delay! On another note heard from Virgin today about the trains job - it was a no go. Expected, given there were 15000 applicants but most of those were told last week about the rejection so I suppose getting a week further into the selection process was a small consolation. That or it took so long to get to me! Not disappointed, was a long shot and to be honest doing the same thing day in day out for 20 years didn't sound that appealing anyway! Ah well, back to the drawing board! Tomorrow for the update guys, unless I can squeeze some time in at some horrible time in the morning!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jan 17 2017, 08:46

Updates today. Either through the day, work and lousy internet connection at Hull docks permitting, or when I get home just before 2200. Crappy long shifts and I suspect that is the way things will go for a while during this 'busy' period at work when people are stuck in the house and put the kettle on every 5 minutes. Not at work tomorrow (well, unless they change their mind, has been known) as they are hammering me with long hours and limited to a certain degree with how many days @ long shifts I can work. That means (hopefully) updates tomorrow as well.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 06 2017, 10:23

Should be up to date today. Last week was madder than the week before. Basically I've applied for a job on passenger trains and the only time I could sit their assessment was after a night shift, so wasn't at my best (to say the least! The main test was concentration with pages of symbols you had to work through for speed and accuracy, then another page, and another... try that after 1hr sleep in 20...) Anyway, I seemed to have passed that so went to an interview last week.

Upshot is that I did ok in that as well so am just waiting for the 'nod' so to speak. I'll believe it's all sorted out when a letter lands on my doormat but it's a genuine chance of getting off freight so I hope it comes off. On the flipside I have a lot of friends and colleagues who are stuck on Freight trains which is an industry in crisis. Not enough work too many companies, and cut throat to say the least! I know they would be glad for me if I got on, as I would for them, but it doesn't change the fact that for me moving companies would be a bitter/sweet experience. Anyway, fingers crossed, here's hoping!

Hope you're both well, Dave I know from your posts you've been up to your eyes with work and personal stuff, so no worries from my side.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Feb 14 2017, 18:46

Hope the job hunt is getting better.

I'm having cataract surgery on my right eye on Monday, be out of work for 4-7 days, if all goes well.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Feb 17 2017, 10:47

Fingers crossed for you David. With a bit of luck will make life easier for you!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Feb 22 2017, 11:29

As you can probably tell I'm on catch up this week. Kids most of last week, back to earth with a bump long shifts this week and trying to figure out where I will be living in 6 weeks. Thankfully sorted with that after todays discussion so one less thing to worry about! I knew when I split with the wife that I'd have to fend for myself and so far so good, but I'm under no illusions that it will be easy!

If not updated completely by c lose of play today will be in the morning, for sure, as rushing round at the moment to get ready for work. I got the job I applied for at Transpennine Express but still waiting for the letter dropping through the door with a start date (the Railway never moves quickly, even when it wants you to drop everything...) so till then I'll be treading on eggshells at work making sure I don't slip up and jeopardise the new job (it happens all too often...).

Anyway, David hope the operation went well, Dave, hope your workload has eased some as at one point it looked like my post rate would keep up with yours, so I knew you were busy!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 28 2017, 08:50

Hopefully find time to update today. Put my notice in yesterday with a view to start new job on 24th April. Treading on eggshells till then hoping nothing jeopardises it! Loads of forms to fill out Sad Also going away for a short break on Thursday, back Sunday. The girlfriend needed to be away as it's nearly a year to the day since her ex partner died so doesn't want to be here. So here's me thinking few days, no worries. Except my case is in the lockup a 100 mile round journey away, work is hammering me at the moment (I had to beg them to change my shift to end sooner than 05.23 on Thursday morning as I fly 06.40 from Manchester, 50 miles away) with long nasty shifts and less than 12 hours rest (naughty!). These things are sent to try us!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Mar 06 2017, 20:59

Cataract surgery went well. Need another couple of weeks of healing before the eye stabilizes enough to get a new prescription. Took the lens out of the glasses because now I see better without it than a do with it. Which also means some double vision while driving, since the other lens is a bifocal lens.

Just found out that they are not going to renew my leases, over the weekend, as they want to move me out and refurbish the apartment, one of the last to be redone. Just got back from talking to them and looks like it will stay here at this complex. Not a big raise in rent for the refurbished apartments but the whole packing and moving thing and changing address is going to be such a big drag. Lived in the same apartment for 13 years now. No longer have the youthful vigor to move myself, so time to find a cheap moving company. Idea

So have to move by June. They will let me out of the lease early to let me move another of their apartments, which is nice, if I can afford it. Time to save money again! affraid
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Mar 06 2017, 21:54

Glad to hear the eye is (hopefully?) on the mend. Strange coincidence about you having to move David with my circumstances as I'm in the same boat. I'd found somewhere to move in by 1st may, only for the current tennants move to fall through which means its back to the drawing board and looking for somewhere suitable again. Or do I hang out here (horribly expensive and far too big for my needs) and hope the house becomes available soon, or ask the girlfriend if I can move in with her for a short time. That's the last thing I want. We get on really well but living with each other is the ultimate test on a relationship and to be honest I don't want to. Not yet at any rate.

So, the trying times continue!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Mar 12 2017, 07:13

Quick update. Had a horrible last few weeks, getting easier this week. Didn't help when yesterday my short (5 hour) shift turned into 11 when my relief rang in sick because of a family emergency. Another case of taking one for the team Sad Anyhow, whilst I have stuff on this week you should see an upturn in post rate. Cheers guys.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 30 2017, 23:02

Need to hit the sack, but Lionheart update tomorrow. I've got one last weekend of horrendous shifts to grind through (at least 12 hours on Saturday, maybe the same on Sunday) then am off most of next week, the week after and week after that. Only planned to work 3 days in April before I start my new job which should be office hours Monday to Friday for a while. Thanks for your patience guys, mine is sorely being tested at the moment!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Mar 31 2017, 15:00

Hope you enjoy the new job and better hours. Razz
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Apr 20 2017, 11:14

Quick update - moving house this week so in and out, the internet connection has been lousy and had a right ding dong with BT (internet supplier) basically telling them where to shove it! Think I need to source a different supplier at the new address... Anyway, what with work, kids being off school, moving to and from the new house and the other stuff I need to cram in lately, my posting has been rubbish for the last few weeks and I can only apologise chaps! All being well will have finished moving by end of this coming weekend and I can sit down and relaxxxxxx with a laptop on my knee and a cuppa to update. Cheers!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Apr 24 2017, 08:34

Only just seen this mate, completely understand and sorry to hear about the mess things have been for you. If it's any help we've used Plusnet and have been really happy with them and my friend really rates Zen Net, a small local provider that seem to do good work in this area. I'd stay as far away from BT (although they do own Plusnet) and the other big providers as I hear that they can be really good up front, but when it comes to customer service then it's not so good.

Hope the dust settles quickly, at least we know you're ok ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Apr 25 2017, 07:21

Cheers Dave, yeah it's been an 'interesting' few weeks to say the least! 2nd day of new job, meeting and greeting on Manchester Piccadilly station ( Sad ) Aside from the fact it's freezing I'll be sat up front on the train for most of my career so it's more for the conductors who are being inducted too, but we all get to share the pain of grouchy people who don't want to get out of bed when it's 1.5 deg c outside. Nice.

Just sat here in the station car park waiting for my train. Don't think I'll have time to update but will have a look.

Got a mountain of stuff to do in the new house, boxes everywhere, nowhere to put stuff etc. Plus I've everything to change over on the bills etc, and if today is anything like yesterday I'm leaving the house at 0700 and getting home at 1800. Not good! Things will settle down next week as I won't have to travel so far, but this week is all about grinning and bearing it! Cheers, Paul
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri May 19 2017, 14:54

Did my move too, last weekend. Overdid it. Strained back. Tons of boxes lying around the place waiting to be unpacked. Got a new TV when I moved too, smart TV, too smart for me. Hooked up my computer to be wireless but couldn't get it to work. Took a couple of days to figure out the problem - was set up for the 2.4 G instead of the 5.0G on the router.

Now the computer is back on track but I still lose signal from time to time. And even with my Ethernet cord instead of wireless for the TV, I lose the signal when streaming. Maybe it is only one of my streaming channels, haven't tried the others. Will try Netflix tonight and see if I still have that problem.

I can't believe you have freezing weather. We are in the high 80s/low 90s F all this week! Plus the wonderful humidity. Exclamation

Well, let's see what I can do with the Haunt now.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat May 20 2017, 22:23

I'm still living out of boxes. Just need some time without entertaining anyone (Kids, GF, Friends etc) so I can sort this place out. Weather is warming up but with it comes lots of rain. Fingers crossed from the 28th of May it brightens up as I have a couple of weeks off to *finally* get things sorted out...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jul 10 2017, 15:31

Been chock a block with stuff lately, but getting there. Don't have to rely on my phone for internet these days but have to wait for another mouse to arrive in the post. This one likes to double click so you may see double posts from me (I just deleted one from Lionhearts thread). Other than that, still in training for new job, night shifts this week so updates will be around dinnertime GMT.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jul 29 2017, 22:46

Updates with more frequency from tomorrow (Sunday). Been a humdinger of a week, but these things are sent to test us... Got four days off next week so a little bit of respite hopefully Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Aug 12 2017, 08:06

Still here! Survived the simulator (set up like a real train but with a computer screen showing what's going on). I say 'survived' because I saw graphical glitches that I thought were fallen trees and things - which the instructor didn't see Sad Brought me out in a cold sweat but got through it. Next week I have two more exams and need to pass them, so I'll be scarce until probably Thursday I should think. After that I can relax somewhat and get life back to normal rather than being buried in books all the time Sad Hope you are both well, will update if/when I can! Cheers, Paul
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Aug 30 2017, 13:02

Admin wrote:Still here! Survived the simulator (set up like a real train but with a computer screen showing what's going on). I say 'survived' because I saw graphical glitches that I thought were fallen trees and things - which the instructor didn't see Sad Brought me out in a cold sweat but got through it. Next week I have two more exams and need to pass them, so I'll be scarce until probably Thursday I should think. After that I can relax somewhat and get life back to normal rather than being buried in books all the time Sad Hope you are both well, will update if/when I can! Cheers, Paul

Glad you survived mate, hope all else went to plan, I am still about. Been quiet as I've been away on some leave and now back again and thought I'd best make my presence known. Looking forward to getting back into the swing of things, as time and circumstances allow.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Aug 30 2017, 21:38

Have been thinking this same thing Dave - Life has been ... challenging these last few weeks. In a nutshell:

Swotted like mad, passed the exams I needed to pass
Persuaded girlfriend to get out on her motorbike. She fell off and smashed her bike up, broke her thumb and black and blue all over. Police and ambulance involved Sad
The day after that I ran over her cat in the drive (he'd been sleeping behind the front wheel, and is jet black so practically invisible, plus he NEVER sleeps under the car). Anyway, he survived. My wallet didn't though, as I paid half of the £832 vet bill...
Kids off school so practically every day possible I have them and zero time to do anything without being nattered.
GF between jobs. See above. But with GF not kids.
Work

It's been a mess. Anyway! GF is starting new job and kids are going back to school so I'll get my life back shortly! All being well watch for updates by this weekend...

Thanks for hanging in there and hope you guys are well/not going bonkers like I have been for the last 3 weeks!

Cheers, Paul
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Aug 31 2017, 09:35

Admin wrote:Have been thinking this same thing Dave - Life has been ... challenging these last few weeks. In a nutshell:

Swotted like mad, passed the exams I needed to pass
Persuaded girlfriend to get out on her motorbike. She fell off and smashed her bike up, broke her thumb and black and blue all over. Police and ambulance involved Sad
The day after that I ran over her cat in the drive (he'd been sleeping behind the front wheel, and is jet black so practically invisible, plus he NEVER sleeps under the car). Anyway, he survived. My wallet didn't though, as I paid half of the £832 vet bill...
Kids off school so practically every day possible I have them and zero time to do anything without being nattered.
GF between jobs. See above. But with GF not kids.
Work

It's been a mess. Anyway! GF is starting new job and kids are going back to school so I'll get my life back shortly! All being well watch for updates by this weekend...

Thanks for hanging in there and hope you guys are well/not going bonkers like I have been for the last 3 weeks!

Cheers, Paul

Ah, Paul, that is an unbelievable and unenviable litany of disaster and woe. Mate, I am so sorry to hear all that, my troubles such as they are have paled into insignificance compared to what you are going through. Ever wondered if someone is trying to get through you?

Anyway look forward to hearing from as and when, no rush.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 39 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 39  Next