The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chat about the game...

+3
DavidMcMahon
dunecat
Admin
7 posters

Page 24 of 39 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 31 ... 39  Next

Go down

Chat about the game... - Page 24 Empty Re: Chat about the game...

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Sep 16 2016, 17:00

Well, it is my second day back to work. YAY!!! I was almost thinking I would never get back. Slowly catching up on all this missed online training I had to do.

Ergonomics guy comes in a couple of hours to look over my work space to see what he can recommend so I don't strain my neck and back more than I have to. Car is going to be a problem since most of my back and neck strain is driving vehicles that cause me to slump or lean forward for long periods of time. The curse of being 6'4"! Rolling Eyes

We are going to work on me using a van instead of the Chevy Impalas we have available for state employees.

So I will be in the office for the rest of the month, so my posting will go up too. Very Happy

And if you want to visit some place warm, come to North Carolina. It's a whopping 76 degrees F at noon, with a high of 86 for today. Still having days in the 90s. Raleigh has a park with some rides on it - across the street from my work. And a water park with some rides on it. Art museum and other stuff.

I see that Simon has put his new rules up for folks to buy as well.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Sep 20 2016, 20:51

Good to see you back David Smile I guess I've had similar height/back related problems (mostly scitica and disc/hamstring stuff) being the same height as you though at least two of the occasions were down to being rear ended in the car.

As for me my posting has been rubbish thanks to work trying to destroy any sleep pattern I try and put together. It's a mess. For instance supposed to be booked off tomorrow now working an 11 hour night shift, so when I get home at 6am tomorrow morning I'll sleep till maybe 10am if lucky then struggle to get any sleep before going to work at 6 for 11 hours. Horrible.

Anyway, will update where I can. May get chance to do some at around midnight/1am GMT tomorrow morning as get a break mid shift. Taking a laptop with me next week on holiday but not sure yet of internet status.

Will take a look at Simons' new offering - on RPGnow?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Sep 20 2016, 21:13

DavidMcMahon wrote:And if you want to visit some place warm, come to North Carolina.  It's a whopping 76 degrees F at noon, with a high of 86 for today.  Still having days in the 90s.  Raleigh has a park with some rides on it - across the street from my work.  And a water park with some rides on it.  Art museum and other stuff.

I see that Simon has put his new rules up for folks to buy as well.

Good to see you back in action Dave, would love to come to the states, but don't see it happening for a while. Oh at least we get to work within the same sphere online in Paul's crazed mixed up, sleep deprived imagination ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Sep 21 2016, 14:33

Stiffening up more and more.  Big difference between spending most of your day in a recliner and most of your day sitting up straight.  Who knew?   Laughing

And yeah, Simon's work is Super Hack on RPGnow.

The Super Hack
From Simon Burley Productions    

ADD TO WISHLIST >

Selected Option:
Watermarked PDF
Watermarked PDF
$2.00
Softcover B&W Book
$6.00
Watermarked PDF + Softcover B&W Book
$8.00
$6.00
Report this title

The Super Hack is a hyper-streamlined roleplaying game that uses the original 1970's Roleplaying Game and the wonderful THE BLACK HACK as a base. If you're looking for high octane Superhero action with a system that feels as familiar as an old glove - look no further!

The Super Hack is a fast playing game whose rules can be picked up in minutes. Character creation is superfast yet allows you to make a huge range of four colour Heroes.

You'll be amazed just how many action packed Superhero adventures you can get out of a single 20 page paperback book. Your favourite comic? Check! A multi-episode animated saga? Check! TV series? Multi-million dollar Hollywood blockbuster? Check and check again.

It's NEVER been so easy to unleash your inner Superhero!

I was amazed at how many supers games and supplements there are RPGnow.  And a lot of them either free or just a couple of bucks.  Good thing I'm at work right now or I would be downloading like crazy!   tongue
http://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?filters=600_2140_0_0_45208&pfrom=0&pto=30&test_epoch=0&page=1&sort=3a

I had heard that there was a Pathfinder Supers game, now I found it.

And so many pulp offerings as well at a cheap price!
http://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?filters=400_2140_0_0_45208&pfrom=0&pto=30&test_epoch=0&sort=4a&page=1
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Sep 24 2016, 09:52

Arrrgh. Best laid plans. Combination of night shifts, juggling work, kids, mum (she's off to Greece for 7 months so spent as much time as poss with her), girlfriend etc has done me in this week. And now I'm off for a (much needed!) holiday.... but do not despair! i am taking my laptop with me Smile So hopefully you'll have an update as I sip cold beer watching the sun set in Lanzarote. Assuming that the girlfriend is already comatose from supping too much booze and leaves in peace for a while Wink

So, fingers crossed. And if all else fails, things should be less hectic when I get back. Gonna miss my mum though - thought moving in with her would be a style cramper for 3-4 months but it's been a godsend really and stopped me from going crazy with all that's gone on. :'(
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Sep 24 2016, 21:12

Admin wrote:Arrrgh. Best laid plans. Combination of night shifts, juggling work, kids, mum (she's off to Greece for 7 months so spent as much time as poss with her), girlfriend etc has done me in this week. And now I'm off for a (much needed!) holiday.... but do not despair! i am taking my laptop with me Smile So hopefully you'll have an update as I sip cold beer watching the sun set in Lanzarote. Assuming that the girlfriend is already comatose from supping too much booze and leaves in peace for a while Wink

So, fingers crossed. And if all else fails, things should be less hectic when I get back. Gonna miss my mum though - thought moving in with her would be a style cramper for 3-4 months but it's been a godsend really and stopped me from going crazy with all that's gone on. :'(

Well hope you get a good break and its not the end of the world if you don't get back to us mate.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Sep 28 2016, 17:29

enjoy! enjoy!
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Oct 03 2016, 16:28

Back! And.... getting back up to speed. Got through all the washing and ironing so tomorrow is my 'free day' to sit down and get posting again, just to let you know. No one here, just me so no distractions Very Happy Just need to hoover up first then sleep then go to work, then I am ok to do what I want to do. Hope you're both well and ready to go again Smile So, update tomorrow then will aim for a daily run ...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Oct 03 2016, 20:25

Admin wrote:Back! And.... getting back up to speed. Got through all the washing and ironing so tomorrow is my 'free day' to sit down and get posting again, just to let you know. No one here, just me so no distractions Very Happy Just need to hoover up first then sleep then go to work, then I am ok to do what I want to do. Hope you're both well and ready to go again Smile So, update tomorrow then will aim for a daily run ...

Welcome back raring to go...

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Oct 04 2016, 15:46

Let's all sing the "Welcome Back" theme song from "Welcome back, Kotter."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_Back_(John_Sebastian_song)

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Oct 17 2016, 21:52

Just a quick heads up. Last few days have been bonkers. In a nutshell 1100 drivers are being made redundant in the company I work for (all of us) and 725 will be set back on after interviewing etc. So basically reapplying for a new role to include more work and responsibility presumably for less pay. They blame Brexit and the closing of power stations but much of it is down to poor management and I said so in week 1 of starting with this lot. It's of little surprise and I guessed it was coming when the CEO was ousted by a guy from the German head office. I applied for another drivers job at Virgin last week and applying for Northern tomorrow, but this stuff takes time and everything else is being shifted about. I plan to update tomorrow (Tuesday) after I've finished filling in the application form for a new job (took me hours the other day to get to 40%...)

So that's where I am. Whuff! Been a right year this. Marriage breakup, house move, redundancy. It's going to be an interesting next few months!

Cheers, Paul
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Oct 17 2016, 22:06

Admin wrote:Just a quick heads up. Last few days have been bonkers. In a nutshell 1100 drivers are being made redundant in the company I work for (all of us) and 725 will be set back on after interviewing etc. So basically reapplying for a new role to include more work and responsibility presumably for less pay. They blame Brexit and the closing of power stations but much of it is down to poor management and I said so in week 1 of starting with this lot. It's of little surprise and I guessed it was coming when the CEO was ousted by a guy from the German head office. I applied for another drivers job at Virgin last week and applying for Northern tomorrow, but this stuff takes time and everything else is being shifted about. I plan to update tomorrow (Tuesday) after I've finished filling in the application form for a new job (took me hours the other day to get to 40%...)

So that's where I am. Whuff! Been a right year this. Marriage breakup, house move, redundancy. It's going to be an interesting next few months!

Cheers, Paul

I'd like to say that this is clearly one of those undreamed of and unwelcome situation in which all your worst moments are coming at once. Sadly its not always like that. However I'm glad you've got options, its so sad to hear how badly you've been treated mate. But its always the 'little' people who bare the brunt of the big decision that are taken - "the law of unintended consequences", I call it. When someone is sure its a sure things, its probably not as sure as they assure you.

Anyway all the best with the next few days, we can sit tight as needed. Thanks for the heads up all the same.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Oct 18 2016, 21:42

So are you going for the Virgin Space Pilot program? That's a driving job. lol!

Good luck and take care.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Oct 19 2016, 07:59

Heh that'd be fun David. I'd have to be better at maths than I am though!

Anyway, the show goes on. The consultation process will take a while but doubtless Christmas this year will be a nervy time, can't be helped. I need to get off freight trains as it seems to be a series of bullet dodging exercises every 2 years. I left one company not liking the direction they were taking (working weekends and night shifts all the time) then they made people redundant and I thought 'If still there I'd have been for the chop' but it doesn't make you feel better cause your friends are suffering. And here we are, 2 years down the road and mass job cuts with another company. Time to get back on passenger trains. The good thing with them is that the government kinda backs them up should a company go bust, whereas Freight is left to die and hey presto, you get thousands more lorries on the road. Crazy.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Nov 01 2016, 15:08

Updates tomorrow chaps. Got home intent on applying for two more jobs (apparently the two I applied for won't take on qualified train drivers, only people off the street...) but heard a snippet of news that suggests there may yet be hope to get on with a passenger firm through the unions negotiations. Fingers crossed. Anyway, applying for a job in Penzance (!) which is as far as you can get away from where I live unfortunately but needs must! Strewth. Anyway, like I say, updates tomorrow as shift isn't as bad as todays. Well, if you discount the 2am start...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 28 2016, 15:34

just a quicky - updates tomorrow evening as currently cramming for rules/corporate babble for a job with Virgin Trains. Head hurting Sad
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Nov 28 2016, 16:18

Admin wrote:just a quicky - updates tomorrow evening as currently cramming for rules/corporate babble for a job with Virgin Trains. Head hurting Sad

Oh hope you do well Paul, go for it.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 30 2016, 14:31

Ugh. So much for that. In hindsight knowing what I know now I would have had a better chance at getting somewhere but it turned out to be something utterly unexpected and nothing to do with trains. Quite clever of them, and annoying. Anyway, I don't expect to get anything other than a 'thanks but no thanks' so it's back to the drawing board. Anyway, on with the show.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Nov 30 2016, 14:35

Admin wrote:Ugh. So much for that. In hindsight knowing what I know now I would have had a better chance at getting somewhere but it turned out to be something utterly unexpected and nothing to do with trains. Quite clever of them, and annoying. Anyway, I don't expect to get anything other than a 'thanks but no thanks' so it's back to the drawing board. Anyway, on with the show.

What a disappointment. Maybe poor advertising on their part?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 30 2016, 14:52

Nah, it became clear when we got there (around 30 qualified train drivers from various companies) that they were looking for someone to fit their profile and it didn't matter if you were a train driver or not. So all the revising and whatnot was of little use. Knowing what I know now would have stood me in good stead yesterday but still no guarantee of getting the job, so I haven't kicked myself too hard about it. It's a shame that they may miss out on people who'd be really very good at the job because of their 21st Century corporate selection process type approach, but it's their company, their money and best of luck to 'em. I'll watch out for other opportunities and it seems I may actually keep my job. But that's a double edged sword, and one of the edges is really very sharp indeed (terrible terms and conditions, I want to get off Freight and back to passenger work and it may turn out that those who take redundancy will get those jobs! Arggh!)

Just about to head to work but will update later in the day and if not when I get home (midnight).
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Dec 02 2016, 13:45

Well good luck in the job search. Ya never know, something may pop out of the blue for you. Maybe in a field you never considered but will turn out to be a great career for you. That's what happened to me.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 05 2016, 17:34

Thanks David. To be honest I'm probably looking for the 'easy way' in finding another train driving job. A friend of mine lost his job at our old place but got paid out a chunk of money and he's working at his hobby these days, restoring classic cars (many of them American, Dodge Charger, lots of corvettes of various eras, huge 50s barge type cars, trans am etc). I guess some would say he got lucky others would say you make your own luck but he had some of both. Am not likely (at all) to get a big chunk of money from current employer so best bet is to keep searching for other jobs in the industry, albeit in the knowledge that hundreds of other drivers across the country are in the same boat Sad
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 14 2016, 18:13

Updates tomorrow all being well. Have been filling out an application for another job this afternoon after I finished work and time has caught me up. So am not able to update, eat or watch my favourite tv show (NFL Show on BBC1 catchup) as am up for work in less than 6 hours Sad Ah well, eating, sleeping and a social life are overrated Sad

Hope you are both well! Cheers, Paul
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Dec 14 2016, 21:18

Sleeping more important than doing updates here. Gives you a clearer head for doing really nasty things to our characters.
Shocked
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Dec 23 2016, 01:04

In case you hadn't guessed, been up to my eyeballs this week. In between work, kids, shopping, applying for jobs and tomorrow having to blitz the house before I go to work, time is at a premium. Will see how I get on tomorrow but I've two weeks of ironing to get shut of as well... Ever get the feeling there aren't enough hours in the day?

Will try my best, but if I don't get on before Sunday, happy Christmas to you guys, normal (ish) service resumed next week Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 39 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 31 ... 39  Next