The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prof Wynde and Wonder Man TEAM UP! Issue #1

2 posters

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Prof Wynde and Wonder Man TEAM UP! Issue #1 - Page 10 Empty Re: Prof Wynde and Wonder Man TEAM UP! Issue #1

Post  Admin Wed Dec 01 2021, 14:30

Captain America 'called' from somewhere, the sound faint in the pairs' heads.

"Bucky charged in! I can't leave him in there!" and he plunged into the murk too!

Prof Wynde winced. At this stage in his career Captain America will have been a young man himself, not much older than Bucky and quite impetuous/confident in his abilities and ability to get out of any scrape.

Wonder Man turned about, looking in the gloom. "A rock? Sure."

He hefts a car size rock and turns to throw it, only for Prof Wynde to offer up a restraining hand - Captain America and Bucky were in that murk cloud!

OOC you can fire blind into the cloud but... no guarantee you'll hit anything - and it might be a good guy at that! Wait it out or try something else?

Prof Wynde and Wonder Man TEAM UP! Issue #1 - Page 10 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resProf Wynde and Wonder Man TEAM UP! Issue #1 - Page 10 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Prof Wynde and Wonder Man TEAM UP! Issue #1 - Page 10 Empty Re: Prof Wynde and Wonder Man TEAM UP! Issue #1

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Dec 04 2021, 15:44

Stumped actually as to what to do. So, wait it out for now.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 07 2021, 10:51

Wonder Man waited it out with Prof Wynde. Meranna appeared to have vanished into the murk too!

The pair waited... and waited.

Finally the cloud started to thin then dissipate. The glow from the yellow sea weeds started to light the place up again...

"Get ready!" muttered Wonder Man, with his lips moving and the words appearing inside Prof Wyndes' head!

The cloud thinned.

"Uh, I don't see..."

Prof Wynde stood from behind the rock.

Squinting and using what light there was from the sea weeds he and Wonder Man moved forward cautiously...

The murk cloud had dissipated enough that they could see a crack/crevice in the ocean floor and ... nothing else around!

"Darn!" said Wonder Man. "They took our friends and snuck out down that hole!"

Prof Wynde and Wonder Man TEAM UP! Issue #1 - Page 10 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resProf Wynde and Wonder Man TEAM UP! Issue #1 - Page 10 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Dec 07 2021, 12:07

Well ... Expletive! Guess we go down after them," Prof Wynde replied. "Um ... since you are bullet-proof, why don't you lead? I'm no good as a hand combatant."

ooc: Thinking it over, with a few exceptions, pretty much all the golden age heroes [not sidekicks] were in the 18 to 28 year old range. Then kid heroes and kid sidekicks were in the 13 to 16 years range.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 07 2021, 16:11

Wonder Man considered then nodded. "Give it a few feet before you go in after me. Just in case it's a trap."

With that he lowered his legs in. Then the rest of him vanished.

It was very quiet for a moment or two then <<Prof? Can you still hear me? I don't know what the range is with this weed stuff but I'm hoping you can still hear me...>>

Prof Wynde went on his knees and poked his head in. Darkness. The crevice went down for maybe fifty feet or more. Jutting sharp angles and rocks. It would be a nightmare to try and get out of there in a hurry!

The lobster men must know it like the back of their hands... claws.

OOC Going in? Any precautions?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Dec 07 2021, 22:54

Going in and getting close enough to hear Wonderman's thoughts/voice again. Then keep watch behind us as he continues on.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Dec 10 2021, 08:55

Down, deep into the crevice until the light from even the luminous weeds above cast no more, and the improved eyesight it granted didn't help, Prof Wynde felt more and more hemmed in.

Claustrophobia threatened and at one point he became stuck. What if the plant's effects ran out? Would he drown before the crushing ocean pressure turned him into red gunk to be picked at by the fish?

He tried thinking rationally. These creatures they followed had been physically larger. Perhaps he'd taken a wrong route...

Just then something grabbed his ankle and yanked! He was pulled down in the darkness and flailed with his hands to cast his magic at whomever...

He came down and face to face with Wonder Man who held a finger to his lips and pointed.

There was more light here and he looked up. How he'd fit through the gap he didn't know, but there were more holes and gaps dotted in the wrong 'ceiling' of this vast underground cavern and he looked about to take it all in...

Prof Wynde and Wonder Man TEAM UP! Issue #1 - Page 10 Underwater-city-by-nkabuto-d473jux-fullview

"This place is crawling with nasties." whispered Wonder Man. "If we are to find Captain America, Bucky and Meranna we need to be sneaky..."

Nearby movement drew the pairs' attention.

Blue skinned beings - Atlanteans - were planting something on the sea bed. Rows and rows of the weed they used for food and to - over time - mutate their bodies to become adapted to life under the ocean. They were casually watched by 'Lobster men' but each Atlantean had some kind of metal skullcap on. There were dozens of 'farmer' Atlanteans, more than fifty, and only four Lobster Men to watch them all!

"What are they doing? Why don't they rise up?" asked Wonder Man...

OOC The farmers are around 100 feet away. Sound travels though and you are hiding behind rocks right now but there is open ground to get to the farming plot so you will most likely be seen. You can swim around - take the long way - to get to the distant city you can see.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Dec 10 2021, 15:23

"Those skullcaps are probably the reason," Prof. Wynde replies after looking them over. "Either some kind of mind control device or maybe they are explosives the lobstermen can remotely detonate if they try anything."

He keeps looking around.

"The others, what with Cap and Bucky being surface dwellers, were probably taken to some kind of bigwig for questioning. The question is, would it at a prison or at the palace or whatever the rulers here use. And if the aliens are here too, they might want to be in on the questioning."

He looks around some more.

"So if I was an alien would-be conqueror of time and space, where would I want to put my HQ here? That's probably where we need to try to sneak to. See any likely buildings?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 14 2021, 09:02

Wonder Man considered. "Probably the biggest, best defended building. Somewhere in the middle." he said, pointing to to a taller, larger building amidst those they could see.

"Shame we can't beat a few guards up and sneak in. That's what they did in the Wizard of Ohhh. I guess to you that's an old movie. I only saw it last year." he mumbled.

"Or we could try to take out those Lobster guys. Your magic gives us the best chance." he said. "If any of them get away we're sunk." he admitted.

"Unless you can make us invisible or are really great at being sneaky our options are limited." he sighed. "Still, if we could take out those Lobsters and free those Atlanteans..."

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Dec 15 2021, 14:23

"Four Lobstermen," Prof Wynde muses out loud. "I could get one by surprise and maybe another before they would do that trick of throwing the mud into the air, I mean, water and hiding and/or fleeing from us. Any chance you could get those other two before that happens?"

ooc: Really don't like the odds but having more intell from the captured Atlanteans would be a bonus.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 15 2021, 17:54

Wonder Man pulled a face. "Well I guess..." he said. "We'll have to strike at exactly the same time or they'll pull that vanishing trick again..."

The hero pointed to an outcropping of rocks and himself. He'd go over there and strike at two of the Lobster men. That left two for Prof Wynde to take on.

Keep them at a distance. Obvious but if those claws got hold of him... without his amulet. Well, he'd be lucky if all he lost was a limb!

He moved through the water, staying low and going steady so as not to churn up silt.

Finally, he was in place and positioned around fifty feet from the Lobster Men and still in cover. Water would distort his aim, he already knew that. That would mean getting closer or taking his chances and hoping he'd hit both of them!

Wonder Man, now distant and crouched behind rocks, gave a thumbs up. He was ready. All that meant was...

Prof Wynde and Wonder Man TEAM UP! Issue #1 - Page 10 FqM6nig

Silently, the silt ten feet behind Wonder Man erupted upwards and a new kind of creature emerged, pulling a weapon and aiming it at the back of his friend!!!

OOC TO BE CONTINUED!

END OF ISSUE!

I'll cough up some HP and you'll be in the second part of this undersea Odyssey probably by tomorrow morning (GMT)!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Dec 15 2021, 21:59

AAAHHHH!!!!!  Cliffhangers!  The bane of all heroes!   Cool

I think it will be 1943 before Prof. Wynde gets to Tibet to wake up the remaining heroes who allowed themselves to be turned into stone back in 1938-39 and maybe very early 1940{?} Basketball Basketball
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 20 2021, 19:48

OOC Gah. Playing catch up after the Friday/Weekend shenanigans (had my son over so threw all plans in bin).

165HP earnt.

Prof Wynde is on 173HP

Wonder Man earns 99HP and is on 291HP

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Dec 21 2021, 01:42

I want to get Dispersal, Telescopic Vision and Obscure each up to 2 or 3 if I have the points for it. Then if I have points left over, will decide what to do with them later.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 22 2021, 10:41

OOC Playing catch up this week. Doctors appointments, high blood pressure, work, xmas stuff. Meh. Worse part is I'd like to chill out and have a drink but that would send the Blood Pressure into the sky I expect.

Anyway, this is what Prof Wynde looks like with the improvements you made and in brackets (XX) the amount of points that the character builder says it cost to get that way.

Prof Wynde and Wonder Man TEAM UP! Issue #1 - Page 10 Prof-Wynde-Dec-21b

If you are ok with that I'll tweak Wonder Man (I'm thinking Flight would be a logical choice seeing as they looked at what Superman was doing and copied that anyway) and we'll crack on with the new issue.

Edit: I'll also ditch the amulet. It's inoperative having been damaged too much anyway.

PROF WYNDE HP 43

Last edited by Admin on Wed Dec 22 2021, 11:02; edited 2 times in total

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 22 2021, 10:59

OOC Linked flight to Wonder Man because a) cost and b) I can't see his Dex rising any more as it's a fair way in front of PW already and in line with what Superman was doing. Flight 12 is high (I think) for Superman of the era but it would have burned through all his points to get to Flight 6 and this way it's done, dusted, out of the way and all future improvements will concentrate on his other abilities. Energy Blast jumps to 5APs. A weak blast from the eyes but still around Shotgun level so maybe of some use when he's trussed up and needs to blast a rope or something. Against the usual guys he gets pounded by (Captain Nazi etc) he won't hit and if he does they'll laugh at his 'light show'. That will take some spending to get to a reasonable (10+) level.

Prof Wynde and Wonder Man TEAM UP! Issue #1 - Page 10 Wonder-Man-Dec-21

WONDER MAN HP 1

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Dec 22 2021, 12:40

ooc: Been thinking about maybe we should put a disad on dispersal, make it a bit cheaper. Something like "Works only in air" since I envision his body or body parts magically dispersing into becoming air as that is his magic school or affinity basically. So it wouldn't work in water, he couldn't disperse through solid earth or walls, and wouldn't work in a vacuum.

So while he could disperse himself in a room, if it was an air-tight room he couldn't disperse himself out of it. If the room wasn't air-tight, he could disperse through like the cracks or gaps in door frames. If he was trapped in a cave-in, if there was the tiniest trickle of air, he could disperse himself and get out that way but if no trickle of air, he couldn't. That make sense?

And of course, upping these powers now doesn't help him at all with his current adventures. I love you I love you

And if that works and gives him back enough HP, put them into either martial arts or military science.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Dec 22 2021, 20:10

And dang! I keep forgetting I have insta change so I don't need to keep getting my costume dirty and torn up, just use magic to change it back like new! Embarassed Embarassed
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 23 2021, 13:34

OOC Just a quick note. The version of Dispersal you are describing is 'Fluid Form' in the Blood of Heroes 2e game (we use that as it's a tweaked/updated version of the DC Heroes 2e/3e game, but mechanically identical). So:

Prof Wynde and Wonder Man TEAM UP! Issue #1 - Page 10 Fluid-form

However that has a base cost of 75 so to buy in play is like, 750 Base Cost. Eeek.

I'll have a look at tweaking Dispersal to do what you want. From the looks of it the power will be pretty much cut off at the legs if you can't move through solid objects but is in line with turning into a stream of air. I was never a fan of Self Link as it seems a bit hand wavey but will also look at that too.

Kind of rushing around today (I'm working till 01:50 on Christmas Day. I'd applied for leave all week and been turned down. Sad ) but will see what I can get done with regards the new issue - all being well *xmas permitting* we'll be up before the weekend...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Dec 23 2021, 14:12

ooc:

Re-reading Dispersal, I guess it already mostly covers what I was talking about. Just need the disad that limits when it can't work.

Maybe the disad would be something like, "this power doesn't work if a gaseous atmosphere isn't nearby"? Any combination of gases being considered an atmosphere. Though I don't know how strong a disad that is.

So it wouldn't work in water or in outer space. But if he was caught in an avalanche, since there was air where he was buried and air outside the avalanche, if his power was greater than the body of the avalanche, he could use the power to get out of it. If there is an atmosphere in the room he is in but a total vacuum surrounds the room, he wouldn't be able to disperse himself out of the room.

He could disperse through walls, once his power gets high enough to overcome the Body of it, if and only if there was air or an atmosphere on both sides of the wall. Probably need to get Life Support or whatever the power is called one day so he could survive the atmosphere of something like Venus or any other combination of gases that would make up an "atmosphere" but a human normally couldn't survive breathing.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 27 2021, 08:27

OOC How about: Requires a successful check of Air Control to use. So under normal circumstances a check vs an OV of 2 (4 cubic feet, roughly the value of a human body who weighs around 200lb give or take) and that allows him to disperse/become air and move albeit within the limitations of his Dispersal power with 1 AP. You'll not even move through wood with that never mind Brick (body 8) or Steel (Body 12) or even wood (Body 6) but if there is a gap where air can get through, so can you.

I'll be up and running with the new thread today. Xmas put paid to my plans (of world domination! BWAHAHAHA!) of updating but we should be fine now. Got the small matter of shopping in the sales with the other half and watching the Spiderman film to get through first.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Dec 27 2021, 09:51

Only problem with that would be having to roll for defense in combat every round to see if it would help or not.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 29 2021, 00:18

OOC Gah I'm giving up predicting when I can post. have my son now for a day and a half, an evening off, then another day and a half. I enjoy my time with him don't get me wrong but I'm worn out! "Dad I'm bored" after five minutes of pause between time on the Oculus rift (guh, sick inducing) and sifting through the Steam accounts for games. My head is spinning (and I'm someone who always loved video games).

One of his presents was the Dungeons and Dragons 5e Starter Kit. I thought it would be easy to get into being a starter and the fact that everyone plays 5e these days so it must be easy (ish?) to get into. Problem is I'm an old school type o guy and will have to mangle the rules into something my naff old brain will understand.

We'll knock -1FC from the Dispersal if you want for 'Only works when Air Control is functional' because he needs an air medium for that. If that's ok I'll adjust the character sheet and we'll go with it.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Dec 29 2021, 03:26

ok, sounds good. It won't work where air control cant'- space, underwater and so on.

I also bought the 5e Starter set some years back and never opened the dang thing since my friends I used to game with decided they didn't want to be friends anymore or game with me. So it's sitting on a shelf somewhere. Cool
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jan 02 2022, 17:01

OOC I think D&D (or any RPG) will be a hard sell to my youngster. Ideally there'd be a group of his own age playing but I suspect the experience will be similar to trying to herd cats. I blame computer games. At his age I'd been GMing for a couple of years and whilst I was a computer buff (self taught programming) the games I played were much less of an easy pick up/play distraction than it is for the current generation. For a start off we had to use a tape recorder to load things and rub our prayer beads that it worked otherwise the whole process would have to be restarted. Again. And again, and again... It wasn't until the Amiga when computer games became a quick and easy time sink for me and when I got together with my gaming group we were completely engrossed in the RPG zone. Two of my friends from school got in a touch a few years back but as yet we've not really done much apart from a once or twice a year meet up for beers so any thoughts of me getting any face to face play started up again must remain a pipe dream, especially with my shifts at work.

Prof Wynde and Wonder Man TEAM UP! Issue #1 - Page 10 Prof-Wynde-jan-22

With the 20HP awarded from the -1FC limitation applied to Dispersal Prof Wynde is on 63HP

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next