The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chat about the game...

+3
DavidMcMahon
dunecat
Admin
7 posters

Page 15 of 39 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 39  Next

Go down

Chat about the game... - Page 15 Empty Re: Chat about the game...

Post  Admin Sun Dec 14 2014, 21:26

Oh, and I'm not sure what's going on with the site clock. Set it right, everything looks ok in the setting yet funny times always come up with the posts (did you really post at 00.44 Dave? I think not Smile )
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Dec 14 2014, 22:03

Admin wrote:Oh, and I'm not sure what's going on with the site clock. Set it right, everything looks ok in the setting yet funny times always come up with the posts (did you really post at 00.44 Dave? I think not Smile )

Although I do get up early, not that early ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Dec 15 2014, 13:11

Yay! Finally got my new computer working. Hope it lasts more than four month, which is all the last two lasted. Laughing
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Dec 15 2014, 20:05

DavidMcMahon wrote:Yay!  Finally got my new computer working.  Hope it lasts more than four month, which is all the last two lasted.  Laughing

Hope so Dave. Personally after being fed up with lacklustre builds I spent a fair bit of time doing my research, watching videos and buying parts slowly, to build my own bespoke computer and so far it works like a dream. SO next time I'd advise going that way. Its not necessarily the cheapest but you do get what you want, at least.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 15 2014, 21:38

More than anything else, I would suggest a solid state drive. Speeds up a slow comp no end and no moving parts. Not had an SSD die yet but have loads of useless paperweight hard drives lying around Sad

That said the laptop I'm posting from is a right frankenstein hotch potch of bits. The case, screen and motherboard are original. Everything else has been swapped, changed, fixed, broken or replaced. Mostly not through choice - that's what you get for lugging a laptop to work every day Sad
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Dec 23 2014, 08:20

Hey all, just wanted to say that I hope you all have a peace filled Christmas break, mindful of the real reason for this anniversary than making shop owners and Amazon rich at the bank ;-).  

I'll be working up to Christmas day, when my last service is done, then off for a week.  Its been a great year, and despite our best efforts, somehow Paul has managed to keep up putting up with us, and the antics of our characters, through highs and lows.  I come to this time of year, often mindful of how we've been at this for quite some time.  Since I enjoy the game so much, grateful to you Paul for all your sterling work in making the campaign all it is, and something I look forward to dropping into my inbox every time you post.  

I also often think back to how we started and how we've seen (much like the comics) characters come and go, and players with them.  I'm always sorry to see people drop off and thankful that I've been able to keep up as long as I have.  David, being the only other player (besides Paul) to keep up but great that Ross has kept up with us as well along with Dunecat, who must have been with us for nearly two years now - my doesn't time fly.  

Anyway I wanted to say once again how much I appreciate Paul's efforts.  Looking at the member list I saw Paul's total post count, and its a remarkable achievement that Paul has kept so many plates spinning whilst have such an incredible busy, work and personal life and at such a high standard.  I've played in many PBEM's none seem to last beyond a few years, many much less than that.  None of them have ever reached the quality of this one, so just want to make Paul blush for a moment regarding this campaign and our DM's sterling efforts.  

So as I hope you have a great Christmas with those whom you love and love you, and all the best for the New Year ahead, its also with gratitude for the year just gone.  And an enormous debt of gratitude to Paul for all he does to make this campaign the fun that it has been.  Here is to many more years keep the bad guys from monologuing, the streets safe for innocent people to walk on, and the prisons cells full of wack jobs and their henchmen and cronies ;-).  A little bit of heaven on earth, until kingdom comes.

all the best,

Dave aka Sj

PS funnily comment this makes my 2014th post ;-)
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 24 2014, 23:27

I echo Dave's sentiments and would like to thank all of you guys for sticking with the game - it's nothing without your continued dedication and especially the two Daves (Dave/David) who I've been gaming with online for years now (since the days of the Exec with Dave E and even earlier with David M). One of these days we'll have to work out how long it's been and see if there is some kind of record to break Smile

With regards the game, I have no intention of stopping, so as long as you guys are happy to play I will continue to throw obstacles in the way of the Vanguard. On the subject of the current game system we are using (DC Heroes) I'm not sure it's been a great success - I know some of you guys struggle to get your head round a pdf and learn a game from it because that's the way I feel - when it comes to sitting down and reading a book these days it helps if a) it doesn't stop bullets and b) you have something in your hand you can pick up and read. With that in mind I suggest in the new year we either take a vote on whether to continue using the system or revert to the tried and trusted - Golden Heroes, heavily house ruled, and go back to our roots. For anyone that doesn't know the game system, I still think it has the best flowing combat of any play by post game as you can resolve quite a lot with a single post. It's just a thought, and a guy put out a retro clone called Codename: Spandex a while back which might be worth a look.

I also plan to give the heroes more to do other than punch bad guys in the face. We did venture into that territory a while back but for most of 2014 it's been a series of fire fighting episodes with the team licking its wounds in between scraps and forging on, fighting the good fight. When the current issues are resolved there will be a clear villain the team will come up against, more than once. Whether it's an individual or a group remains yet to be seen Smile

Finally just want to say Happy Christmas, wherever you are and whatever you are doing. I know it's a struggle to get to a keyboard sometimes (my 4 year old highjacks mine for Minecraft, and my 11 year old natters constantly for mods for portal and the like) so fully understand the challenges of keeping a regular posting pattern. Any past players who see this are welcome to drop me a pm and find a spot on the team at any time. I'll probably try and recruit another player at some point, but will leave it till the dust of Christmas/New Year settles.

All the best chaps,

Paul
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Dec 25 2014, 14:19

Admin wrote:With regards the game, I have no intention of stopping, so as long as you guys are happy to play I will continue to throw obstacles in the way of the Vanguard. On the subject of the current game system we are using (DC Heroes) I'm not sure it's been a great success - I know some of you guys struggle to get your head round a pdf and learn a game from it because that's the way I feel - when it comes to sitting down and reading a book these days it helps if a) it doesn't stop bullets and b) you have something in your hand you can pick up and read. With that in mind I suggest in the new year we either take a vote on whether to continue using the system or revert to the tried and trusted - Golden Heroes, heavily house ruled, and go back to our roots. For anyone that doesn't know the game system, I still think it has the best flowing combat of any play by post game as you can resolve quite a lot with a single post. It's just a thought, and a guy put out a retro clone called Codename: Spandex a while back which might be worth a look.

Paul

Whilst I like the way that DC handles scale, in truth GH always seemed to be closer to the comics - I guess both the campaign rating and the way combat worked out always made it more comic book than anything else. Even the terms - frames, and stuff and also that the powers seemed to be closer to the comic book made it more accessible and immersive to me. I mean Ice Production is a good name - but I have to keep looking at what it actually does. Whilst I appreciate that it does cover a more granular approach allowing for more variety and what not, in truth in the hands of a good GM, you can improvise and let the GM interpret and bend the rules to suit - more free form with the rules being a guideline.

But hey, its not the rules make a big dent in things I do just find them somewhat jarring, although I appreciate with characters like Lionheart you might need dials that go up past 10! Anyway as ever mate do what suits you, I'll play anyway, but if I do have a say, playing with GH rules would be like coming home ;-).

Love the hints about new villains, and to me this is one of the true strengths of this game/campaign. That despite rules changes, fixes and what not, we still are able to have an heck of a good game going on. I would love to see some more going on personal life wise as well as the action. Going through the apocalypse scenarios we have been for the last few years has been exhilarating but also a change of pace would be welcome.

Have a great day today with the family.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Dec 25 2014, 15:13

Do we actually need rules? As to a general structure as to what we can do power and skill-wise, I suppose something is needed. But actually using it for combat and such? Having our GM decide what happens based on what we write and what he knows everyone can do would seem to be all we need. Just my two cents. Cool

Happy Holidays to everyone.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Dec 25 2014, 16:56

DavidMcMahon wrote:Do we actually need rules?  As to a general structure as to what we can do power and skill-wise, I suppose something is needed.  But actually using it for combat and such?  Having our GM decide what happens based on what we write and what he knows everyone can do would seem to be all we need.  Just my two cents.   Cool

Happy Holidays to everyone.

I tend to agree up to a point. I think the point of the rules is that the GM can neither fudge it nor be inconsistent. Well up to a point, its not like we scrutinise Paul at all. But rules give an agreed standard which we know to be fair, I always worry without rules that its harder to work out what you can and can't do. I think this is why I've tended to struggle with the DC rules, reading them and playing them is two different things. The GH rules are far less abstract so I tend to write to them, maybe its just a personal thing, but I also have a soft spot for them as well. But I do realise they have many great limitations, but having played with teh Dc rules for this amount of time I just know I am not comfortable with them. So yeah would prefer no rules to the DC ones or some of the GH rules like frames, campaign ratings (so you knew a little bit more on a sliding scale where you stood for instance in the world) but otherwise letting Paul decide the rest I am good with, if that is comfortable with him.

Anyway have a great time Dave, hope you get to enjoy family as well as time freed from work commitments etc.

sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Dec 30 2014, 16:48

GH's problem is that it is a low level character system. Now if we house rule it and way up the power levels, since we are more than street level heroes now, it could work. I always did like the "panel" system for combat.

Or we could try another system. Here's a link to the Marvel RPG that collects lots of addendums as well. http://www.classicmarvelforever.com/cms/
It includes downloads.

or the diceless version Marvel Universe Roleplaying Game

Or the two new versions that didn't last long and I have no idea what they are or how they play: Marvel Heroic Roleplaying and Marvel Super Heroes Adventure Game

The last one using Fate Cards, whatever that is.

Superbabes, the Femforce RPG was also a good game that has only one problem as far as I was concerned - both your damage and your energy to do anything came out of the same pool. So first level characters literally ran out of energy after about three rounds of combat and would drop from fatigue. I think that system, with a little house ruling, could be a good system for a PBEM game. Would suggest looking into it if we can find a PDF of the rules.

Here's a nice review on what is covers: http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/14/14764.phtml
And here I thought I had all the supplements the game put out. Guess I was wrong. http://rpggeek.com/rpg/865/superbabes-femforce-role-playing-game

OOH! Just found a download of the game!!! Try this: http://gamingnerdsrus.co/forum/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=584
This archive contains both the core book, and the "Game of the Century" supplement.

Silly power and sexist descriptions and what not but still a good simple system.

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Dec 30 2014, 17:00

nice character creation review to Femforce game here: http://timbrannan.blogspot.com/2013/09/review-superbabes-femforce-rpg.html
and explains the whole "Superbabes" intent to the game.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Dec 30 2014, 17:09

yeah, I'm at work with time to kill because it is raining and clients don't want to go out and walk in the rain. And my other clients who I could stay inside and do an evaluation on, haven't called back.

Anyways, this cracked me up. A Superbabes versions of a 20-something Kim Possible. http://amazon-princess.blogspot.com/2013/09/wonder-woman-for-superbabes.html Shocked

or how about Wonder Woman? Laughing http://amazon-princess.blogspot.com/2013/09/wonder-woman-for-superbabes.html

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Dec 30 2014, 17:15

From DC - Fire and Ice of Justice League fame! Think it shows how versatile the system can be. http://timbrannan.blogspot.com/2013/09/fire-ice-superbabes.html
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Dec 30 2014, 19:04

Another thought, we could use it for the Lore Knights game too. Twisted Evil
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Dec 30 2014, 19:28

The other systems I've been looking at are the Icons system and also the Supers RPG both of which look promising (Well the Icons less so its a bit hand wavy where villains are concerned and weighted so its nigh on impossible for heroes to lose) which could still work well with House Rules. My feeling on this is that its probably going to be easiest if we stick to what we know, or more importantly what Paul knows. With limited time - asking him to digest new rules now is a big ask. But its your call Paul. Personally I'm reluctant to learn a new system, but am happy to be guided by them that knows.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 31 2014, 12:18

Hi, back (well, kids still off school so I say back with usual provisos) but not working over next 3 days *yay* means no kids all day then work all night. I think I have just about every superhero rpg except for Superworld (sold it) and Femforce (never seen it for sale over here) and maybe the odd obscure new game. Have Icons, Supers and BASH, as well as Hero system, M&M (everything), all the marvel games etc.

From my point of view I want combat to flow. GH is the best for that so far as I know in pbp but am open to suggestions, even adapt the round/frame to another game. More later, dinner is burning!!!!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Dec 31 2014, 12:32

Well, you have Superbabes now since I gave the link to download the PDF of the game. Very Happy
You roll a D20 to hit, so it is a fairly simple combat system. What needs to be tweaked is that you use the same energy pool for both doing actions and for taking damage. I feel that needs to be separated.

I remember Superworld vaguely. Then there was Superhero 2044, which if memory serves, really didn't have any rules as to combat and such.
Well, off to work now.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Dec 31 2014, 18:07

Wow Paul never knew you knew so much about so many systems or at least had sight of them. Impressive.

Well you all know my preference for GH rules, but in the past it has worked house ruled, given that there are so many systems out there perhaps some sort of amalgamation might hit the sweet spot. But that's for Paul to decide. I like knowing the rules because I think it better informs what I plan to do or try to do. However Paul has more than fairly responded to our actions so I am happy to try something else. But its the learning of new rules and rolling up our characters anew that bothers me somewhat. I think that GH combat, with some for of action resolution - DC heroes works, but the simpler the better, I'm happy to see things like Fem force be used, but clearly from what David has said, it too needs some adjustment to improve its basic flaws (as with most games - it really does seem odd with so many different rules variations no one has really hit the sweet spot by popular consensus yet) as we'd have to with any game, especially GH low level handling of things.

Well its nearly a New Year, so all that remains for me to say is to hope you all have fond memories of a year gone, and realised hopes for the coming year. Peace and goodwill to you all, and happy gaming into 2015.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Dec 31 2014, 21:38

Pathfinder Online starts its Early Enrollment today, well, it actually started but I'm still at work for the next half hour, and I will be playing it tonight and most of tomorrow and most of the weekend.

Seems really weird to have "two" Fridays in a week but that's what today feels like, a Friday, then a day off and then Friday again. tongue
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 31 2014, 22:30

Whatever you get up to, happy new year and 'see' you in 2015 Smile

Have spent the last couple of hours chasing faults on my laptop (where I do most of my RPG posting from) and sadly it's on its way out. I think I can get it fixed (pull it to pieces and put the motherboard in the oven, or just pay someone with the correct machine for a graphics card reball. Basically the solder gives up the ghost over time and its notorious with Nvdia gfx of a certain era, of which occurs with mine. It's knocking on for 8 years old though so no great loss) but won't be for a week or two. Till then I have my desktop (posting from now) and android tablet, but posting from that is an exercise in one finger stabbing with a stylus :S

Right, let's see how far I can get through updating - I'm having a couple of bottles of beer while I'm at it, so that's my excuse for typos Smile

On the gaming front, I thought about the GH system and yeah, with house ruling I'm figuring it might be nice to revisit after a year or two (how long has it been?) away from it. I'll dig out my old notes and see what needs tweaking and put out suggestions. The easier the better. Combat should just be about deciding what you want to do, what to do when things go wrong, and when to do it. The round by round thing takes an age, whereas the GH system of resolving stuff basically '4 rounds at a time' (if you know what I mean) hasn't been bettered yet, in my opinion.

Dave - it's embarrassing how many gaming books I have stashed in the loft. For example the DC Heroes game is a box full of everything ever published, must be 50 modules, 3 editions, a dozen various sourcebooks... something like that. I don't even know. There have been 5 Marvel games as far as I know (RPGs) - Basic, Advanced, Marvel Universe (Diceless), Marvel Saga (Used Cards) and Marvel Heroic (a storytelling type game where you roll a pile of dice and describe what happens. It's an acquired taste, and not for me, but it had a few fans. Not enough to make a viable project for the RPG publisher who lost the license after only one year). Wild Talents, Silver Age Sentinels, Villains and Vigilantes, Supervillains, Superhero 2044, even a Tunnels and Trolls based game which was appalling. You could in theory have stats in the millions. Been plenty of different supers games over the years and it's crazy how one small time British game seems to have hit the sweet spot in a number of ways. I never really used Campaign Ratings properly but they are worth a look again, maybe.

Also yeah I recall you gave me the link for Femforce David, will track it down.

Happy new year all Smile

Cheers, Paul

p.s. typing with new keyboard. Takes some getting used to after 10 years with the last one, so excuse the typos :S
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 03 2015, 18:59

Quick heads up. Normal service should be resumed tomorrow because a) kids going back to school on monday (cue cheering) and b) I can post from my own (desktop) computer. This is because my usual posting method, via laptop, went belly up a few days ago after the video card gave up the ghost. It's still (sort of) usable but really needs stripping down and spending money on (I don't have the equipment to reball a video card, and despite some lunatics on the internet saying you can do it by chucking the motherboard in the oven, I'm of the opinion that filling the house with black poisonous smoke is not a good idea) so it will have to wait till payday.

Will update what I can tonight, up for work early in the morning (Sunday) which means early night tonight. Hop y'all are well, thanks for hanging in there Smile Cheers, Paul
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Jan 03 2015, 22:33

Appreciate whatever you can do whenever you can do it Paul.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jan 23 2015, 18:45

Quick update with 'good news/bad news'

Good news - I 'fixed' my laptop by pulling it to bits and heating the broken part (gfx card) with a hairdryer for 10 minutes. Bodge, yes, working (for now) yes. For how long...? That's the question. What that means is I don't have to sit in sub artic temperatures (my computer room) and feel my hands go numb before I finish posting - in other words normal service will resume...

Bad news - but not tonight. About to hit the sack for up at 2am shift. Update tomorrow night and sunday.

Really missed having a laptop - may well buy another anyway as I don't want to be left without again!

Updates tomorrow then,

Cheers, Paul
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jan 23 2015, 21:22

Admin wrote:Quick update  with 'good news/bad news'

Good news - I 'fixed' my laptop by pulling it to bits and heating the broken part (gfx card) with a hairdryer for 10 minutes. Bodge, yes, working (for now) yes. For how long...? That's the question. What that means is I don't have to sit in sub artic temperatures (my computer room) and feel my hands go numb before I finish posting - in other words normal service will resume...

Bad news - but not tonight. About to hit the sack for up at 2am shift. Update tomorrow night and sunday.

Really missed having a laptop - may well buy another anyway as I don't want to be left without again!

Updates tomorrow then,

Cheers, Paul

Its good of your to explain all this Paul, but seriously you've got nothing to explain, or justify. I mean what's another day between friends anyway ;-). Glad you've got something working, maybe the summer project this year, isn't to (re)build a laptop/pc but make the outside coalshed Batcave more friendly ;-).

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 39 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 39  Next