The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception"

5 posters

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception" - Page 3 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception"

Post  dunecat Sat Apr 27 2013, 03:56

(( OOC: 9 APs is a half mile Very Happy Though I believe that you lose power with aura of fear based on distance. Still with 9 APs you can probably affect several hundred feet in all directions. It's pretty nasty. ))

dunecat
Class 2 Hero (Low level superhuman)

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception" - Page 3 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception"

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Apr 27 2013, 18:28

OOC: Well that was just...embarrassing, however critical a roll it was.

Lionheart recovered his senses, but couldn't get over the fact that despite his considerable mental prowess he had just met a force that overwhelmed him so completely, that he was totally flat footed by the attack! Whoever this Haunt fella was, deserved considerable respect and a careful eye.

Meanwhile Frostbite also arose, wiping his brow from what he imagined was the final effects of this creatures attack, he looked at him, wondering who he was and how he had made them fear him so considerably. Without the back up of the dark power, Frostbite felt totally unable to counter the attack and had seen this man do the same to several of the most powerful men on earth! What else did he have stored away and what was it he said in that sinister voice about Justice?

Once again Frostbite was aware that he had stepped into a world unlike the one he had left. His companion, the former Joe who had once also been known by these people as Frostbite, was more familiar with all this. But his silence indicated that perhaps even he was unaware of this Haunt fella and the power he wielded?

Lionheart put aside any feelings of injured pride, he'd have to give consideration and respect to Haunt and do some more thinking about the situation later OOC: Like how can I resist such an attack! but now he had other matters to attend to, like what and who was behind the high pitched ultrasonic whine that had set Bulldog off in the first place. Perhaps it was this that has been the contributing factor behind Kevins periodic loss of control!

Turning to Wandafar he said, "You'd best make sure that whatever signal switched that device on, isn't also giving away our present location to whoever intended to set Kevin on us. What do you make of it anyway?" Lionheart focused on Wandafar, truth was he still felt shaken and he wasn't sure if he wanted to talk to these two new characters who'd stepped into the cave.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Apr 28 2013, 14:45

OOC As the power effects everyone differently, it wouldn't last long (especially in Lionhearts case, but the others aren't going to 'stay scraed' for long either.

The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception" - Page 3 Aura_of_fear

Basically: Attacks everyone you select (you don't have to attack EVERYONE, just those you wish to) within 1/2 a mile. Against most average people you would freeze them in fear. Anyone else (for example supers etc) would run away for a period of time. After the initial attack they can attempt to overcome the fear and in the case of the Vanguard in the cave I'd expect everyone to overcome it the round after. It's extremely potent, needless to say. It's probably underpriced. A full range area effect for a 9AP power would add +7FC for other powers.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Apr 28 2013, 15:00

Admin wrote:OOC As the power effects everyone differently, it wouldn't last long (especially in Lionhearts case, but the others aren't going to 'stay scraed' for long either.

OOC: "Well we ain't in Kansas anymore Toto!"

Thanks posting up, I was disappointed that our characters (especially Lionheart, without some sort of way of effecting, resisting or saving against it in some way) was overcome so easily, as you say potent. I guess it adds a new level of menace to Dave's character. What is also interesting is what other powers might affect us in ways, that perhaps hitherto we'd be able to shake off before, but now present a real challenge. As I say, it ain't Kansas!

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Apr 28 2013, 15:18

ooc: Well, you are dealing with very powerful otherworldly/divinely powered individual! Or at least, that's HIS claim! lol!
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Apr 28 2013, 15:26

"Bloody Hell" muttered Yeoman. Unlike the others he'd literally wet himself.

He turned and shouted "WHO DID THAT? WHO WAS IT? COME ON!!! I'LL HAVE YOU!!!"

Wandafar, finally taking notice, moved forwards. He could see Yeoman wasn't in a joking mood and had to bit his tongue, resisting the urge to laugh. "Now, now. Ve are all friends here, though ze nightclub dancer in ze cowboy 'at should take note." he said, turning to Haunt. "Yeoman can punch through a steel vault door..." He moved closer, and offered quietly "Ze bathroom over zere mate. You know. No vun vill say anything."

Furious, Yeoman turned to look at Haunt. "If you do that again, EVER, you and I will go a few rounds mate!" Angry, he stalked across the room and slammed a hand down on a computer server.

The thing literally shattered, completely destroyed and crumpled like an empty drinks can!

Wandafar was about to shout in protest, then he saw Yeomans' fiery mood and thought better of it. He turned, shaking his head and muttered "Justin vill kick my ess for zis. No vay round zis vun."

Kevin, having transformed into a near naked man with rags for clothes, stood and looked around. "I did it again, didn't I?" he said quietly. He turned to Winston, now a normal Bulldog, and scooped him up. "I'll grab what's left of my stuff and go..." he said, heading for the lift door.

"You'd best make sure that whatever signal switched that device on, isn't also giving away our present location to whoever intended to set Kevin on us. What do you make of it anyway?" said Lionheart.

Wandafar looked over. "Yes... yes. Kevin. Before you go. Did you know zere is small ultrasonic device we found inside of Winstons collar? I vud need to examine but I believe it emitted constant ultrasonic whine und ven someone vanted you to change, zey turn it up. I can only imagine ze pain and agony you vent through. To be truthful I do not know vy you are still sane. You must have great villpower. Hold on."

He placed the emitter under what looked to be a photocopier like machine without a light and a lamp shining down. A computer screen popped up a display. Wandafar didn't mention the five screens that had gone blank after Yeoman had smashed the server...

"Ze battery is not half down yet. It vould last for another 6 months. You hef been suffering viz this sing for over 6 months now."

Kevin rubbed his head. "My headache seems to be wearing off. I tried everything... shrinks, having my powers removed... I would change and have no knowledge... I... I thought I was going mad. All this time..." he sank to his knees, a near broken man, sobbing into his hands. "I've been under attack? I'm not going mad?"

Retribution said nothing and stared at his former leader. Lionheart didn't need to be empathic to feel the cold wave of rage that came from the man in black! Meanwhile Frostbite and Sentinel, having got to their feet, had time to appraise the newcomers. Retribution took a deep breath and turned to Haunt. "I have known you only a short time. Whilst you may or may not have been aware of the full effects of your power, I would advise you not to use it on anyone here again, unless it is in the most dire of circumstances. Yeoman is an idiot and far too frivolous given the nature of our business, but he is a friend and a true hero, proven time and again. He will not soon forget the indignity heaped on him and may even seek redress. I will of course attempt to calm things with him, but perhaps it were best if you avoided contact with him for a while."

Wandafar turned to Lionheart "Zis device is very clever. Someone clearly knew who Bulldog was und attempted to not only discredit him but drive him insane, even perhaps to ze wrong side of ze law. If someone were to, say, offer a cure for his interminable headaches he might be persuaded to commit acts against his nature, for instance. Zey vud hef known he has a long and glorious history of serving his country. His 'fall from grace' may hef been orchestrated by a former enemy. I shell look through ze archives for clues. In ze meantime, ve should consider zet..."

The alarm klaxon rang out through the cave!

VARRRRRR, VARRRRRRR, VARRRRRR!!!!!

Kevin looked up, shouting "Not again! Shut the damn noise off!"

Yeoman ran out of the bathroom, mask and shirt off, trousers, half up his legs and soiled underpants on show. "What is going on now?" he shouted. Kevin looked across "Did you ... did you shit yourself Yeoman?" he splutters.

Lionheart looked up and around...

OOC 2d10 → [9,5] = (14) Success.

Danger!

Wandafar turned to the screen and voiced the words Lionheart was about to say "Ve are about to come under attack! Incoming planes... stealth technology, invisible to normal radar... five miles out, closing fast! Zey vill be here in less zen 20 seconds! Six of them... close formation..." he turned to Lionheart, then looked at the pulsing blue bag the man from the future had brought him. "At a guess I vud say zat sing is ze culprit und my initial analysis from looking at it says it is not of earthly origin. Vat hef you brought down on us?" he asked. Reaching across the desk he pressed a number of buttons. "Zey vill hef to deal vis ze defences, but till ve can identify zem I cannot be sure if we are firing on enemies or government types."

He turned and looked at the group. "Perhaps you should go out und see who zey are...?"

OOC Dave - Lionheart has potent mental defences but if you wish to beef them up I will look at that in a 'mk2' version of the writeup. Same for Frostbite and Sentinel. Aura of Fear is tricky to defend against, mind, and is very potent. Plus, those rolls... When you have hero points (end of this adventure) you will easily be able to counter the effects with what is called 'last ditch defence' but it's a nasty way of burning through hero points, that said. Other than that you all have maybe 10-15 seconds before the place gets busier. It's night time out there, but still, Justin St Johns might prefer that a bunch of unidentified jets don't bomb his ancestral home back to the stone age and 'out' him as a former super hero...

Last edited by Admin on Sun Apr 28 2013, 15:29; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spellyng... splleyng... spe... well, you know)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Apr 28 2013, 15:57

Admin wrote:He turned and looked at the group. "Perhaps you should go out und see who zey are...?"

OOC Dave - Lionheart has potent mental defences but if you wish to beef them up I will look at that in a 'mk2' version of the writeup. Same for Frostbite and Sentinel. Aura of Fear is tricky to defend against, mind, and is very potent. Plus, those rolls... When you have hero points (end of this adventure) you will easily be able to counter the effects with what is called 'last ditch defence' but it's a nasty way of burning through hero points, that said. Other than that you all have maybe 10-15 seconds before the place gets busier. It's night time out there, but still, Justin St Johns might prefer that a bunch of unidentified jets don't bomb his ancestral home back to the stone age and 'out' him as a former super hero...

OOC: Fair enough, thanks for the update.

Frostbite grateful for some action by which the group of disparate heroes might unite around was just what they needed. He looked to Wandafar and the group and spoke quickly. "Friends, for that is what I think we are. The group likely to be attacking us, if they are in some way connected to that device and the people I had the misfortune to run into, might well be a law unto themselves. But until we can find out, I suggest we go meet them, before they can endanger this village and Justin s ancestral home. Kevin I think it best you remain here, to help Wandafar. Yeoman, you me and Lionheart can go meet them fastest. Steve, you'll need some metal, before you can suit up. Wandafar, my friend here is a..." Frostbite was momentarily stumped as to what to call his friend powers to bend metal to his will.

"...Well just point him in the direction of scrap metal you won't miss. Join us when you can, hopefully you're power alone can turn this before it gets nasty. And as for you.." Frostbite said, looking at Haunt, "I hope that fear power you've got can be turned on our enemies as effectively as it was turned on us. Wandafar a way out, lets go best speed and good luck everyone."

Frostbite looked to Wandafar as he waited to be motioned to some sort of discreet exit where by the group could emerge and engage before the attackers were upon them. But as he passed by the curious 'man' he said, "We could also do with some com's help, and don't let that thing be tracked back here, or they could bring a whole heap of trouble on us all!" Frostbite said pointing at the squidgy prize Lionheart had taken from the plan, earlier.

OOC: Ok feel free to amend you actions, if necessary, but I've kinda assumed that until we get out and see if we're under attack by flying meta humans, or air craft of some sort, that we've no idea what we're facing. And whom is behind this. But best speed to meet them must be the first port of call I think.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Apr 28 2013, 16:20

"I will enshroud a portion of the exterior of this base in an impenetrable fog," the Haunt rasps. "Then any within a half mile of me shall face the Fear of Justice! SO I will act as backstop to those who go to face them first."

actions: summon a small fog, just enough to cover the lower 2/3s of the Haunt and then shape angelic wings and fly out whatever opening we get unless TP out, in which case, I will transform and fog after we are out. Once outside and the others are far enough away, I will summon the full fog, which actually isn't that big but should help.

a dense fog which obscures vision and vision-related
Powers (such as Sonar, Thermal Vision, Ultra Vision. and XRay
Vision). The OV/RV of an attempt to see through the fog
using one of these Powers is equal to the Character's APs of
Power. Any attacks made by Characters within the fog receive a
+2 Column Shift modifier to the OV. The APs of Fog plus five
equal the volume (in APs) of fog cover, which must take the
form of a simple sphere unless conforming to an enclosure.
The fog c re a t e d b y t h i s P o w e r w i l l t r a v e l w i t h t h e
Character, i f so desired, provided t h e Character is n o t travelling
at a speed (APs of distance per phase) surpassing the APs of Fog
Power. A

So I should be able to create of a volume of 12 APs of fog which is 4000 cubic feet or the size of a studio apartment. And since it blocks all sorts of visions, I imagine laser guided missiles and such won't work so well once in it. And if they get within a half mile of the Haunt, then the Aura of Feat will strike them, now avoiding teammates with the aura.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Apr 28 2013, 22:15

OOC I'll wait for Ross to post before the update that sees the team leave the Mansion but I need to update Haunt - Assume that he CAN see through his Fog. At the moment (listed on the sheet) he cannot, but I need to include that in an update. Just needs 8HP from somewhere to pay for that. I'll look at it, but if there is anything you guys can think of that your character has (or doesn't have) that needs tweaking or changing, let me know. You don't have much in the way of weaknesses/drawbacks which is an effect of the translation from the old game rules (characters didn't really have weaknesses in Squadron UK/Golden Heroes). David M - you get Fog absolutely spot on. If you want it boosting in the character tweak, or anything else changing, holler in the OOC section.

"VAIT!" shouted Wandafar

"You hef no secret identities vere you come from? You vant your faces splashes all over papers of news und tv? If zere is cameras you vill be on the tube of you, und everywhere you go vill be crazy. Luckily I blend in viz all ze other 5'3" bearded dwarves, so is not problem."

Retribution nodded. "If my identity were revealed all of my family and friends would be slaughtered. Retribution comes at a price, and it is hard to bear, but must be paid."

Wandafar shrugged "Vot he said. Und sink on zis. Flying people coming from zis house vill direct questions towards Justin St Johns. He is not hero any more in sense of running around in tights und flexing muscle mit ze sexy pose but he is hero in other vays, standing up for hero people in government und keeping zem off our beck."

Yeoman pulled on his mask. "I'm ready to kick some ASS!" he bellowed.

Kevin pulled a face and wrinkled his nose. He was about to speak when Yeoman turned and snarled "Not a word!"

OOC Update tomorrow, but hopefully Ross will have had chance to check in.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Apr 29 2013, 07:55

Frostbite turned to Wandafar, "So you are telling me with all these gadgets, defences and people coming and going you don't even have a back door?"

He thought about if for a moment, "Ok folks we are going to need to get out, and take off from elsewhere, Yeoman, you can go from here, Lionheart can take Sentinel and run so fast no one will be the wise by the time they take to the sky. But Wandafar makes a good point about our faces. Lionheart you need to make sure you and Richard King, are not obviously one and the same. I have another way out, that just leaves Haunt and Retribution, I guess you to can find a way out so you won't be spotted?" He asked as he turned to them.

Lionheart, meanwhile nodded, and moved at amazing speed taking some of the shredded and broken parts of computer and turned to Sentinel saying, "Think you can turn this into some sort of helmet, that will let me work, but hide my features?"

Fortunately Frostbite's face looked so different when frosted by his almost diamond hard exterior and as if to make the point, he allowed his frost hard shell to cover him now. As he did he noted how the others, who'd known a Frostbite from before, realised that this Frostbite though a new one, did have same powers and look.

"I'll go ahead and relay what I see." And with that He flew in the general direction of the wall facing the direction he had to go, held his breath and plunged straight in as his molecules dispersed allowing him to slip through rock OOC: I hope! without a problem.

OOC: So whilst Ross gets to chime in help out Lionheart and see if he wants to take off with him, Frostbite hopefully will make whatever dispersal roll he needs to (so as not to embarress himself) and slip through the rock to exit at a safe distance and take to the skies. I guess Yeoman is used to coming and go subtly as is Retribution so I am hoping they can get out in a sensible fashion. But we need to think about how we can adapt this place or even find a new base of operation so we can avoid this in the future.

As regards my Characters and updates, to be honest I am currently happy with the way they are working. Given the slower pace of PBEM, it might be months even a year before I realise something isn't quiet chiming with me. But I hope by and large we'll both realise that this is the case as I'm not interested in wrangling out every point of power, just doing what my characters do, well. So I'm generally quiet happy. My point about being able to resist Haunt's attack, might be one related to the assumptions I have about rules. It seems that the way DC works is that resistance is a passive thing. I was hoping for a saving throw, or throw a few hero points in there, to Lionhearts resistance. Clearly that I got overwhelmed isn't a bad thing, as it gives me leverage to roleplay off. And also highlights an aspect of the game I'd not known about or appreciated before.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Mon Apr 29 2013, 18:46

(( Generally, defence is made up of two components. OV and RV. In this case, your Int and your Mind. In addition you can have defensive powers that ususaly add to RV. Mind Field is one you already have. You are right, generally you can spend HP to improve OV or RV, or both. As we haven't finished our first games yet we don't have any HP to spend unfortunately. The other thing Lionhearts case that went against him, was a roll of nearly 20.. which is a massive advantage to the attacker. His 9 AP aura probably attacked you as if it were 18 or so APs! ))

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Mon Apr 29 2013, 22:24

"Some kind of helmet? By Jove I can turn it into a full suit of armour given enough scrap"

Despite the scraps of smashed console turning molten it wasn't hot at all to lionhearts touch infact quite the opposite as it formed and writhed in his rather large hands. When it stopped it strongly resemble a clown. He looked up at Steve with a raised eyebrow.

"No not what you had in mind?" Steve joked as it writhed yet again

OOC: Your call mate what the helmet should look like. Has sentinel been steered in the direction of any metal prior by wandafar? If so he would of suited up at his first chance.

IC: "Right we better get moving and quick".

smaug
Class 4 Hero (Powerful Superhuman)
Class 4 Hero (Powerful Superhuman)

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Apr 30 2013, 07:32

smaug wrote:OOC: Your call mate what the helmet should look like. Has sentinel been steered in the direction of any metal prior by wandafar? If so he would of suited up at his first chance.

OOC: A clown, no perhaps not. Lets make the helmet like a the one Russell Crowe used in Gladiator, only with the frontsipiece coming down further more like a full helmet. And with a lion face incorporated into it somehow. Thanks

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 01 2013, 00:58

Wandafar looked vaguely insulted by the inference there was no 'back door'

"Of course zere is back door, but you vant I hand all secrets out before I..." he looked about. "I guess ve is already trusting von another. It's other zere." He picked up a remote, pointed it at a rock wall and a section clicked, pushed forward and sideways to reveal a cavern like tunnel that was lit by occasional ceiling lights. "You come out round ze back of ze village, in amongst voods. Or you can step into ze tub und I vill take my best guess as to where I teleport you. Sometimes it goes wrong, but is not so bad if you can live without an arm or leg."

Retribution rasped "I have some work to do" and tapped the camera Haunt had gathered with his foot. "Wandafar, where can I work?"

Another pressed button and a further, larger section of wall clicked out then slid up to the high ceiling revealing a square cut metal panelled section of the cave which housed the equipment and full facilities of a crime lab!

"Excellent." stated Retribution, and he flew over there with the camera.

Meanwhile Sentinel waved a hand and reformed the metal of smashed network server into a mask that resembled a roaring lion and gave the impression of a Gladiator from old. Lionheart slipped it onto his head and scooped Silver Sentinel up (OOC do you want to take the time to make a new suit first Ross? You are still only clad in your old combat fatigues from 76 years ago. They are getting a bit musty by now...)

Frostbite took the most direct route - up. He phased through the ceiling, through several cellars well stacked with expensive looking bottles of wine and through the lower floors of the mansion, then the upper floors, all in a heartbeat! He floated outside and above the mansion which was now wreathed in a thick fog that was too dense to see through! Unfortunately it also stood out. It was a clear, albeit dark night, and a cloud of fog partially obscuring the ancestral home of Justin St Johns would stick out like a sore thumb to observers. Some might consider that the eccentric Earl was throwing a party with a smoke machine, but the aircraft approaching the mansion would not be fooled.

OOC Ah just seen the post by Ross about the Suit.

Sentinel called out "Be right there!" to Lionheart and turned to several smashed computer servers, selecting the hardest metals.

OOC Metal Manipulation roll 2d10 → [1,9] = (10) Passed. Fabrication Roll ... Suit will be Dex 11, Str 10, Body 10, Skin Armour 5 (game limit), Flight 10. Target number is 11. Roll 2d10 → [9,6] = (15) 7RAPs. Suit lasts 8 1/2 minutes and has a Reliability number of 5. Roll 2d10 → [9,4] = (13) Reliability passed.

Silver Sentinel waved a hand and the metal around the place which had been a huge smashed server pooled like liquid before flowing across his body! He turned, suited from head to foot. "A basic suit" he said, voice hollow sounding. "It'll do for now. I need something to blast with." He reached out his hands and metal jumped to cover them with a pear of bulky wrist bracelets! "Dunno how they work just glad they do" he said.

OOC Well, if the rolls say so. Metal Manipulation 2d10 → [2,2] = (4) Double, success (Follow up was 15). Fabricate is Energy Blast 14, Body 13. Target number is 11, again. Roll 2d10 → [6,7] = (13) 1 column shift. Blasters last 2 minutes (5RAPs) and have a Reliability number of 7. That means a roll of 7 or less is bad - they conk out. You can get gadgets to last longer and be more reliable by making them less powerful. Once you get hero points I can foresee you cooking up a near permanent - well, lasts days or weeks at any rate - Iron Man knockoff, with sensors, an onboard computer, the works...

Haunt flies out, and soon is spewing fog around the Mansion to act as a defence. He notes Frostbite is floating above the place. Lionheart is there a heartbeat later having waited for Silver Sentinel only to discover Sentinel can now fly in his polished steel suit.

Yeoman brings up the rear, still soiled, still embarrassed and angry. Haunt can fair feel daggers in his back from the slighted heroes eyes.

Inside the cave Kevin walks over to Wandafar. "Who WERE those guys? I don't recognise them, but the yank looked like Frostbite - you know the guy who disappeared? I thought things were coming back together again a few years ago, then the lads disappeared. There seemed no point in holding it all together with Frostbite, Stormwarden and Darkshadow gone. I guess that's when my life..."

"Yes, yes" muttered Wandafar, rudely waving a hand at Kevin. "Shush. I em watching ze super people und monitoring stuff."

Kevin, annoyed, looked up. "You're also watching Eastenders."

Wandafar, one eye seemingly detached to look in one direction, the other looking at the screens showing fog outside the mansion, shrugged. "There is a metter of life und death, viz humanity at stake, und zere is ze small pleasures in life. Vot point vun without ze other?"

=========

Silver Sentinel soared up into the sky alongside the dispersed Frostbite

It felt good to be suited up again, and though they were not exactly reliable, the blasters he wore would certainly pack a mean punch! He looked to his left and right. Yeoman floated nearby and Haunt on the other side. He felt a 'ripple' as the white suited man sent out that terrifying fear effect...

'Frostbite?' crackled a voice in Frostbites ear. 'Zis is Wandafar. You hear me ok? If you anything like ze men I knew you can not only here me but zet amazing computer program zet lives inside your brain can emit electrical pulses zet are unique and can be decoded as vords. I em monitoring all your life signs und vile you show up as not being zere, your brain activity still gives you avay. Anyvay, let me know. Ze others vill have to go in blind as zey rushed off before I could give zem earpieces.'

There was a pause, then 'Zey are landing in voods around 1 mile from here. I cannot be sure, but zere is no life signs aboard. Let ze others know zey vill face ze undead or some really tricky robots. I can emit ze EMP but it vill play havoc viz ze village electrics und I vill miss ze back end of Eastenders, plus Retribution is using ze leb und you should know he is grumpy at ze best of times. At ze vorst he is a bloody nightmare. Anyway, is backup...'

Frostbite blinked... the view in front of him seemed to be overlaid with computer line drawings and numbers showing height, distance, temperature and speed, amongst other things. A glance at the others revealed guesstimates of body density and showed them up to be a cool blue colour, matching their moods.

'Receiving telemetry from Wandafar' stated Frostbot.

A compass showed up on Frostbites inner vision, and it highlighted a flightpath leading in the direction of the landed aircraft.

Beside him Sentinel watched as Haunt finished his fog spewing. Below, Lionheart considered whether to take to the air or stay on the ground and benefit from near untouchable Agility as well as speed.

OOC Really need to optimise Lionheart to grab the best 'bang for buck'. For instance linking Superspeed to go up with Dex and having Power Reserve boost Dex is a legal way to save a few points. Not a lot but it might boost his Mental stats a bit more. Seeing as Lionheart is the teams resident Mentalist it might be an idea to make sure he doesn't get one shotted by an attack like Haunts, which was, admittedly, damned impressive.

With regards these intruders...

ROLL CALL:

Outside the Mansion in village of Caer Alwyn in Wales

Frostbite (B10 M8 SP7 Dispersed 10)
Lionheart (B10 M9 SP7 Superspeed 13 BUT WATCH THIS SPACE - UPDATE COMING UP)
Silver Sentinel (B10 M6 SP6 Dex 11, Str 10, Skin Armour 5, Flight 10, R#5 Dur 7 Energy Blast 14, Body 13, R#7 Dur 5)
Yeoman (stats to follow)
Haunt (B11 M9 SP9)

In the Mansion:

Wandafar (monitoring the battle)
Retribution (checking out the camera Haunt found)
Kevin Hammill-Hope (British Bulldog) and Winston (his pet dog) (moaning)

Tactical Situation:

Incoming aircraft have tripped long range alarm. They are stealth based but Wandafars systems are the best of the best. They have landed a mile out from the ancestral home of Justin St Johns (the former Ghost Knight and backer of the Vanguard as well as former Lore Knight) and no life signs have been detected suggesting an attack by automated foes or 'undead' as Wandafar puts it. Haunt has sheathed the Mansion in a bank of Fog, but it stands out somewhat in the clear night air. Time is around 21.00 and it's dark. Yeoman smells, having soiled his pants...

Actions? Over to you.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed May 01 2013, 08:43

Admin wrote:Incoming aircraft have tripped long range alarm. They are stealth based but Wandafars systems are the best of the best. They have landed a mile out from the ancestral home of Justin St Johns (the former Ghost Knight and backer of the Vanguard as well as former Lore Knight) and no life signs have been detected suggesting an attack by automated foes or 'undead' as Wandafar puts it. Haunt has sheathed the Mansion in a bank of Fog, but it stands out somewhat in the clear night air. Time is around 21.00 and it's dark. Yeoman smells, having soiled his pants...

Actions? Over to you.
[/i][/color]

OOC: Ok as Frostbite has tended to be party leader in the past I am assuming that he would carry on in the role he has been accustomed to, unless told otherwise. However I will make suggestions, that in the heat of battle, you may feel free to interpret as you see fit. This isn't a movie with me directing after all ;-)

Frostbite quickly brought the others up to speed, with the advanced communication and telemetry he was receiving. Knowing that what he was saying would be feed back to Wandafar, he sounded off to the others. "Wandafar tells me they've landed but I guess that they are some distance away suggestions they are not to sure of their traget. They're in woods, but they are not giving off a life sign. That could men automatons, or zombies..."

Lionheart gave a grime look, after all the three companions from the past knew all about those distasteful creatures created by alien enthused Nazi super science.

Frostbite continued, "We've not got time to coordinate our attacks, once we're in there, so beware area attacks and friendly fire. Lets not make their job easier. Lionheart you take point on the ground, you can broadcast what is going on telepathically to warn the others, Yeoman, Sentinel I am sure if these are robots or the recenetly deceased you're happy to nudge them on their way. Haunt you and I will go check out the ships, make sure they're cut off from back up. We'll take what we can and disable what we can't."

Frostbite then outlined where the forces were and what data he could before taking one last look around, before adding. "Until we know a little bit more as to what we're up against, I suggest we all put caution first. Good hunting!"

And with that Frostbite shot off toward the ships gaining altitude, as he went. "Frostbot, whilst we are in touch with Wandafar, tell him to scan above as well below. I want to make sure this isn't just some elaborate means to bait us. We don't want others to be waiting or watching!"

Lionheart meanwhile, calibrated his mental facilities before dropping to the floor like a stone and smoothly transitioning from flight to speed, whipping unerringly forward over log, under branch and around tree as he speed into the dense woods before him.

OOC: Ok so Sentinel, Yeoman and Lionheart take on ground troops, Haunt and I take on the ships. Lionheart will have his eye and ears tuned in to pick up on the advancing troops and relay info to the others. Perhaps suggesting pinch points to attack or favourable terrain where possible.

Frostbite being aware that he might be occupied with the ships, trying to break in with Frostbot, wants Haunt to cover his back. And also to get a bit more of the measure of the man.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 01 2013, 09:45

OOC By the way - Key for character stats (in brackets after the name)

B=Body, which is the equivalent of Hit points as well as your ability to resist physical attack. A body score of 2 is an average human beings. A gun normally does 4-5 Effect as damage. So you compare Effect 5 (for a magnum .44) against Body 2, for example. The result is the number of damage points (Result APs) that are inflicted. Even if you are wounded, your Resistance value (ability to ignore damage) stays the same. For instance Frostbite has Body 10. There's not much chance of a bullet hurting him (unless from a really high roll) and even if it did, his Resistance Value (10) stays the same even if his Body is dropped to 9 points or lower. You are knocked out at 0 Body, dead at negative Body, so Frostbite would die at -10, a normal person at -2. In order to kill someone you have to declare that Killing Combat is being used, otherwise Body score stops going any lower at Zero. I may adopt a house rule so that even if you drop to zero, any further damage adds to the time before you get chance to recover (normally 10APs of time, or 1 hour). So if Frostbite is knocked out after taking 15 points of damage, his Body drops to zero and 5APs of time is added to the 10APs of normal recovery time. The 15APs (1 day!) must then pass before Frostbite gets a chance to wake up! Dunecat may see some potential holes in this, but we'll take that into the OOC discussion as I am simply suggesting it and would look forward to opinions. An Energy Blast would reduce Body points, for example.

M= Mind. See the Body description, save for that it refers to Mental damage like Mind Blasts and certain telepathic type attacks

SP= Spirit. As above, save for it's against mystical attacks. A Magic Blast would reduce Spirit.

When you get to the end of this adventure you will earn a pile of HERO POINTS. You can spend these on improving the character or spend them in play to improve your chances of success and absorb damage (instead of taking it from Body/Mind/Spirit). More details on that when I start doling points out. Hero Points will be tagged onto the description so you'd have, say, B8 M6 SP9 HP150 (which means Body 8 Mind 6 Spirit 9 Hero Points 150). If you take damage, say 4 points to Body it would read: B4(8) M6 SP9 Hero Points 150.

Any questions ask in the OOC CHAT ABOUT THE GAME thread, here
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed May 01 2013, 13:04

Frostbite continued, "We've not got time to coordinate our attacks, once we're in there, so beware area attacks and friendly fire. Lets not make their job easier. Lionheart you take point on the ground, you can broadcast what is going on telepathically to warn the others, Yeoman, Sentinel I am sure if these are robots or the recenetly deceased you're happy to nudge them on their way. Haunt you and I will go check out the ships, make sure they're cut off from back up. We'll take what we can and disable what we can't."

The Haunt nodded his agreement since he hadn't known where the ships were. He created his angel wings while Frostbite was still giving out orders and flew after him when he took off.

"It seems you are familar with these kinds of situations," he said as they flew along. "I should mention that one of the ghostly powers given to me includes supernatural strength.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed May 01 2013, 14:52

DavidMcMahon wrote:"It seems you are familar with these kinds of situations," he said as they flew along. "I should mention that one of the ghostly powers given to me includes supernatural strength.

Frostbite nodded, then added, "You're a being of supernatural power then, how did you come by you powers?"

OOC: Might as well use this time to find out about my newest companion.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu May 02 2013, 00:40

Frostbite nodded, then added, "You're a being of supernatural power then, how did you come by you powers?"

"Once upon a time," the Haunt rasps out in a faintly bitter amused tone, "there was an outlaw living in the Old American West. He raped, he looted, he robbed, he rustled cattle, he stole horses, he sold rifles and whiskey to the Indians, and he murdered. As happens to most folks of this type, Justice finally caught up to him and he was hanged. Imagine his surprise to find himself not going onto to his Eternal Reward. Some Greater Power decreed that he would return to Earth to bring others of his type to Justice and would continue to do so until the scales were balanced."

"Given his powers and some training in their use, he was sent back to Earth to do his work for Justice. Here he is today by your side."

"Currently, I am looking for the murderers of a man named Toynbee, who was murdered most fowl tonight. His estranged wife and their son were kidnapped by another group who wanted some sort of formula that Toynbee had created that supposedly might make lots of super-powered folks. They told me over a computer camera that they would now kill both woman and child since I showed up and not Toynbee. So I seek one known group of murderers and one known group of kidnappers who might now also be murderers."

"once this little problem with non-living foes is taken care of, I would appreciate any extra help in bringing these murderers and kidnappers to Justice! It was why I came with Retribution tonight, to find clues from the computer camera as to the location of these men."

ooc: And as you know, this origin is total BS but he is an actor so hopefully he pulled it off wonderfully! cheers cheers
But the rest about Toynbee and his family is all true.
Also, his Fog power and his Aura of Fear power come from his costume, which makes them technological devices that Wandafar probably scanned while we were in the cavern. So he might be wondering why a supernatural being has a high tech costume to use with his "supernatural" powers. Or not, since he isn't from around here. lol!

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu May 02 2013, 07:46

DavidMcMahon wrote:"Given his powers and some training in their use, he was sent back to Earth to do his work for Justice. Here he is today by your side."

Frostbite said nothing, but he stared hard at the man beside him. Although there was nothing in what he said that should surprise him, still a strange feeling crept over him. But he had no reason other than some primal sense of intuition to tie to it. He listened, on, in a world in which supernatural beings empowered men to make them vessels of destruction, and beings from light years away could muster armies to blot out the sun, yet he hadn't lost the capacity to wonder as Haunt continued.

DavidMcMahon wrote:"Currently, I am looking for the murderers of a man named Toynbee...I would appreciate any extra help in bringing these murderers and kidnappers to Justice!

Frostbite nodded, as he added, "That has a hollow ring of familiarity about it. Though times have changed for us, men's deeds have not. When we've established where it is we are and what indeed is going on around us, I'd be happy to make any effort I can to help, Haunt! Although clearly we didn't strike the right note earlier, I guess we're all adapting to changes."

Frostbite went quiet, as the scene before them loomed up large. "There are the ships, I'll have to tell you more about our journey to this time, when we get a chance, but for now lets be on high alert. Our enemies are sophisticated and probably aware that we might try to get at their craft. We should be alert for an ambush or trap!"

And with that Frostbite spoken once again to Frostbot and Wandafar, "We're near the ships, Frostbot I want you to scan the ships, see if you can break into them and get what you can about this mission and who might be behind it. Wandarfar, the others should be in place, anything to add before we go in?"

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu May 02 2013, 13:27

BTW, left the fog over the mansion area since it doesn't have to travel with me if I don't want it to. But the Aura of Fear is still up, not that non-living things should be affected by it. Smile
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat May 04 2013, 00:42

Lionheart sped through the woods near the village...

His danger sense (OOC roll 2d10 → [10,2] = (12)) told him he was in danger but wasn't refined enough to tell him from where the danger was coming, or in what numbers...

Relying on his other senses, he sped through the trees in the dark without batting an eyelid. In pitch darkness he could see as well as any cat - or Lion.

Above and some way behind him, Jack Robertson, the man known as Yeoman cursed his luck. The happy-go-lucky hero had been badly affected by that white garbed strangers attack and he'd been made to look bad in front of the others. On top of that, he stank. He wanted nothing more than to get away from here and change into clean clothes, but he wouldn't desert the others, even if he didn't know them from adam. The yank had transformed into a remarkable likeness of his old team mate and friend Frostbite, and he wondered where the others came from. The young fellow who called the metal from the smashed computers to form a suit around him was amazing - simply making a powerful armoured suit with a wave of his hand? He looked across in the darkness and saw the man in the metal suit scouring the tree covered ground below. There'd be a reckoning with the clown in the cowboy hat, but not now. First they had to survive what was coming!

Silver Sentinel was aware the suit he wore wasn't his 'best' work. Still, needs must and all that. The magical doorway through time and space had stripped him of his old suit but he was versatile - even the strange, sleek cars of this era had enough metal to conjure a suit about his person, though it was alarming how much of the vehicles was plastic. Still, they came in such a vast array of sizes, shapes and colours, and zipped around so quickly it seemed as if this were the era of science fiction compared to the 1920s where he'd been born and raised. He'd barely been old enough to fight in World War II, and not long after had volunteered for the Justiciar project. Not long after that he'd discovered that General Wynn had somehow awoken latent powers within him, and the symbiote had quickly made his mind and body its home. Compared to anything this time could throw at them, the 1940s version of Silver Sentinel would have laughed and flattened his enemies with a wave of his hand, such was the godlike power he wielded. Now? He was still powerful, in a world of powerful beings. He wondered how the common man and woman on the street thought of the godlike beings who streaked across the sky.

=========

Frostbite and Haunt headed in a different direction from the others...

Wandafar had squawked in Frostbites ear, via Frostbot that the aircraft had taken off and were holding in the air just off the side of a steep hill in the moorland near Caer Alwyn.

'Incoming! There is a single missile, of heat seeking type, heading this way. Because you are desolidified, the chances are the enemy aircraft have picked up the lifesigns of your companion. The missile will be at this location in less than 20 seconds...' said Frostbot. Frostbites minds eye flickered with a head up display overlay of a distant orange glow flaring through the darkness at speed and heading towards the two heroes - or at least towards Haunt!

'The technology required to detect and target a single object as small as a human being has not been developed in this time frame, though the machines that conventional forces use are adept at widescale death and destruction. Regardless of the era we arrive in, this seems to be a common theme.'

Frostbite didn't have time to chat about the morality of the age! There was a missile incoming!

Haunt saw the distant light heading towards him and Frostbite. They'd flown over hills and moorland to the location where the aircraft were waiting having dropped off their cargo. Now something was approaching - and fast!

'Zere is movement on ze radar!' chirped Wandafar in Frostbites ear. 'Retribution! Vile you are over zere stick ze kettle on!' he added in a slightly distant voice. 'Vere vos I? Ah yes. Ze aircraft are incoming to your location now. Five craft. Vere is ze other vun gone? Anyway, watch yourselves. Ze stealth tech zey use is crude but effective. Radar bounces off. Infrared and microwave pulse show little reflection. Radio and ultrasonic not much better, but is visible if you know vot to look for. Zey are ... crackle... skrrzzzz....varrrrrrrr'

Frostbite winced as communications ceased abruptly! He could now see the distant craft closing in - fast! The missile would be on them shortly!

OOC Frostbite is dispersed still.

=========

Without much to see Yeoman and Silver Sentinel had dropped nearer the tree canopy, but had lost sight of Lionheart...

They had a choice - to drop into the trees and down to the ground, thus losing their advantage of flight and height, or to stay above the treeline and hope that they were able to see the enemy before they converged on Lionheart...

=========

Lionheart paused.

Though near tireless, he knew that running headlong into what might be an ambush would be a bad idea. He could hear something...

Tipping his head to one side he heard noise. The creak of metal and plastic, the crunch of leaves and twigs... No words. Or breathing. He looked around.

There.

100 yards to the south and east of his location. Four targets. He listened again. More. 500 yards to the west. A dozen or more, moving too closely to pinpoint individually.

OOC 2d10 → [2,4] = (6)

Lionheart felt something then. A pulse, or wave of some kind, of mental energy. It was childs play for him to resist it. Whatever that was, attack or probe, it didn't affect him, nor did it feel strong enough to penetrate the mind field that had been all too easily overcome by the Haunts unexpected attack.

The noises suggested that surprise was on his side. For now. Would he take a closer look at his targets, tell the others what he'd found, or pile straight into the attack? Maybe he wanted to trail them, but their intentions were clear enough - landed in a semi circle formation near the mansion then closing inward in a classic pattern to prevent any escapees. He figured there might be another drop of troops on the other side of the village, but hoped Frostbite and Haunt had that covered. His own training and powers were formidable enough that he felt confident on taking on single opponents, but groups of unknowns, like these, would either be a pushover or too much to handle, even for him.

OOC Need to know where your power reserve points are going Dave (superspeed etc) and your actions

Ross, Sentinel and Yeoman are flying above the tree tops. They haven't seen anyone or anything as yet and are looking down on the tops of the trees.

Dave/David the incoming missile will be on you shortly. The aircraft won't be far behind.

Contact with Wandafar at the mansion has been lost.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat May 04 2013, 01:47

Dave/David the incoming missile will be on you shortly. The aircraft won't be far behind.

Summon the fog around the Haunt. It should block any infrared or laser guidance. And then dodge it.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat May 04 2013, 06:41

Admin wrote:Lionheart sped through the woods near the village...

OOC Need to know where your power reserve points are going Dave (superspeed etc) and your actions

OOC: Paul put power reserve into speed, strength and forcefield 3 on each and 1 extra on Strength.

Lionheart had no way of communicating with the others, but he was sure that if these things were moving in, an attack at one point would draw the attention of the others, thus alerting Sentinel and Yeoman to their location. But before he went in on the offensive, he was still curious to see what he faced. Moving forward, carefully, aware their sensors might detect him, he let his super senses reveal what he needed to know, without getting to close to loose the element of surprise.

OOC: Once I've got some idea of what we're facing, I am gong to use my super strength to knock down some trees and give them enough of a push, so that domino effect they crash in on them. If I get all of them, all good and well, I shall then wait for the others to see what they do. In any case I will make enough noise that Yeoman and Sentinel can find me. Deal with the others and I can then see what comes from the others gathering around.

Meanwhile Frostbite spoke what was fast becoming evident to them both. "That missile in homing in on your heat signature, they don't seem to be able to spot me dissipated. But their ships are fast following. Some more of that fog..." Was what Frostbite wanted to add, before around them a creamy deep haze began to form. Speaking so as to be heard by Haunt, Frostbite added, "OK, you take the missile and we'll see if we can deal with the aircraft."

With that Frostbite soared upwards using the fog for cover until he had a better view of the aircraft coming in. Then as he was able to track them he flew around to match their speed and moved to a position above them OOC: Assuming I can match their present velocity? and began to descend through the hull into the ship. He reached out his hand and spoke to Frostbot.

"Time to go to work, can you find out who these are and if you can turn off or override their systems?"

OOC: Off to meet Simon Burley today, we're at a Con in Exeter called Legionary. He'll be demonstrating the new SQUK rules and I'll be playing then hopefully trying to get a pick up game of something else. I've done art work for Simon for must be about 10 years off and on, even spoke to him on a phone once, but never met him. So looking forward to it. Here is the last image I did, for his Squadron X RPG.

The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception" - Page 3 Da461357-2a12-4334-8190-0eca2ec13f06_zpsca2b8b15

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 07 2013, 00:37

OOC Love the art, as usual. I guess that's why I found the quick start rules for the new game disappointing (because it seemed rushed and with that clip art whatever it was stuff pasted in) plus of course the game has dropped from street to sewer level in terms of power. Can't see me playing it, to be honest though I'd be interested in hearing your views on the new game. Supers and Supernatural sounds interesting. I read Ex-Heroes and Ex-Patriots recently which pitted super heroes against zombies/super villains in a world that had already fallen to those walking dead chattery teeth types.

Right - a mini update, sorry. Got home, had to feed everyone (barbecue) and am feeling a bit iffy. Nothing like a bit of charcoal cooked meat to give the belly an excuse to rebel! Groan... Another update tomorrow, have more time then.

Haunt gave the missile something to think about - it shot through the fog...

And came out the other side, looking for its target! Inside the cloud Haunt nodded, satisfied.

The chatter of mini-guns from the incoming aircraft suggested the fight wasn't over yet though! The bullets passed through Frostbite and Haunt was able to hide within his cloud which helped as the sky was fair filled with tracer fire!

=========

On the ground Lionheart reached a decision, switched to his incredible strength and pushed against a tree...

With a loud CRACK! it splintered and toppled! It crashed into another which cracked and split, and snagged on a third, making a large barrier of wood and sending a clear message to the heroes top side where the action was!

OOC Attack... 2d10 → [4,2] = (6) Not great. Missed, actually, but still has some effect (tree barrier)

THOOM! THOOOM! THOOOOM!

Lionheart watched laser bolts crash through the forest and into the tree barrier he'd felled - these things, whatever they were, weren't messing around! The trees were chewed up, if not outright destroyed, suggesting they packed almost as much firepower as a cannon!

He finally got a clear look at what he was facing...

The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception" - Page 3 Halo_Wars_Game

=========

Topside, Frostbite swooped towards a flying craft, ducked to the side and soared up and over to float above one.

He rated his speed at around 3-400mph and struggled to keep up at first, until the vehicles slowed to form a semi-circle around Haunts cloud and prepared to 'fill it full of lead!'

Inside the cloud Haunt saw what they were doing - in moments it wouldn't matter if they couldn't see him - the cloud he was in would be sliced up by thousands of rounds of high calibre ammunition!

Frostbite used the opportunity to duck inside the craft.

It was dark, and he looked at some kind of hold area with sections for armoured troops, tend in all, along both walls. Up front was a cockpit with two pilots. They hadn't seen him, but Frostbite thought they looked odd. Both were in tight dark blue/black leather uniforms and were shaven bald on their heads... which were an odd colour. Green/Blue/Purple/Grey skin wasn't what you would normally find on ordinary humans!

As if they sensed him, one of the started to turn around...

=========

Meanwhile Yeoman and Silver Sentinel spotted the falling trees below...

"There!" shouted Yeoman. "Let's get stuck in!"

Suddenly the flash and thunder of laser fire going off made it clear that whatever else these things were, they were NOT conventional troops! Sentinel was only too aware of underestimating enemies, having fought in a vicious world war and seen horrors on the battlefield... men chewed up and spat out by that great self serving entity, WAR! Had he left one behind, only to arrive in time for the start of another?

OOC Another update tomorrow - get your actions in ASAP! Cheers (and goodnight!)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next