The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception"

5 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception" - Page 10 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception"

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Aug 15 2013, 20:45

The bodyguard reached for a gun, the other fellow raised his capsule to his neck, Capello cried out and tried to scramble back along the seats against the wall to get clear... People around exclaimed, someone shouted "Hey! No shooting!" and people started running for cover!

This situation had turned from deathly dull to very interesting indeed - and in moments Haunt might see one of his leads torn limb from limb!

actions:  My intensions are to rescue this guy without revealing I have super-powers but seem to be a highly skilled person that saves him.  I'm thinking some kind of leg sweep to knock the closest thug on his butt, grab Capello and run out the door with him.  Make like I have some kind of martial arts training, instead of super-strength and Aura of Fear.  I'm an actor, I can act like I have martial arts training.  Use Aura of Fear on only 1-2 opponents but try to hide it by doing a strong martial arts yell, if forced to go mano a mano against one of these guys.  Idea is to get away with Capello, not defeat these guys.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception" - Page 10 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception"

Post  Admin Mon Aug 19 2013, 00:03

OOC Roll for Aura of Fear 2d10 → [6,5] = (11) Success, 8RAPs, enough to pull off the following...

One of the goons with the muscles slapped the bodyguard aside, gun and all! The other man ballooned as muscles swelled and stretched, thrusting out from the body in ways unnatural and unhealthy...

Into this stepped Haunt (in disguise) who 'tickled' his foes minds with his awesome power to generate fear, then struck a heartbeat later (OOC technically, this would take two rounds but seeing as Haunt wants to make this look seamless, I assumed he would let the goons act, then use his Aura, then - winning initiative - he makes his move, making a leg sweep that wouldn't be out of place in a Bruce Lee movie...)

With most people having ducked and run for cover, few saw the Haunt step up behind the two musclebound goons.

OOC Attack 2d10 → [6,2] = (8) success on the pair of Goons, not by a lot, but enough to drop them to the floor, and Aura of Fear keeps them on the floor for 15 minutes...

With a crash the pair thudded to the floor. Even though he was nigh on invulnerable and super strong, Haunt felt the impact on his leg - these men were solid! Whatever that drug was, it really did grant superhuman strength!

Capello glanced up, gaping, but Haunt grabbed him and hustled him out of the doorway to the pub. "Hey!" shouted a bouncer as he was spun aside with barely a nudge from Haunt. A moment later Capello cried out "Hey! Hold on! Who... what...?" he looked about. They were across the road from the pub now, and stood in the shadow of an alleyway opposite.

Haunt had saved Capello, and what he said next might convince the fellow that he was worth confiding in, or trusting in some way...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Aug 20 2013, 19:59

"Hey! Hold on! Who... what...?" he looked about. They were across the road from the pub now, and stood in the shadow of an alleyway opposite.

Haunt had saved Capello, and what he said next might convince the fellow that he was worth confiding in, or trusting in some way...
"Sorry. My mistake," the disguised Haunt says, "I thought you wanted rescuing from those drug induced muscle-bound goons. If you didn't, I will take you back inside so you can face them down ...."

He smiles.

"Didn't think so. Name's Garrett. Garrett Hunt. Interesting concoction you are selling. Pretty dangerous too if the ones' you sell it to are not happy with you. This isn't all that safe a location right now. Your boys were obviously outclassed. Good thing I decided to step in. You got another place I can take you or we go find a hotel to hide in for awhile, until things quiet down?"

actions: try to talk my way into being a temporary bodyguard. If it doesn't work, then grab him, head for someplace quiet and make him talk.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Aug 25 2013, 23:07

The fellows eyes widened in fear at the prospect of going back into the pub, and he stepped back into the shadows of the alley as one of the strapping musclebound goons opened the door of the Pub. Sounded like there was a riot going on within!

He turned to 'Hunt'. "Hunt eh? Never heard o ya. Still, you done me a good turn. Seein' as I'm down a man ya can earn yaself 500 nicker if ya like? Call it a tryout. Ain't never seen one o them 'pumped' fellas dropped like you just dropped im, and trust me, the stuff I flog is bloody potent! Started out a steroid fer dodgy athletes an that, till it was bleedin' obvious they'd been usin', cause it stacks on top o the last dose. This..." he holds up a small capsule with a covered needle on the end "Is potent stuff! Gives a man the strength of an elephant - an' I'm not sh*ttin ya, tests have been done. So there's... one or two side effects..." he shrugs. "Can't break an omelette without ... wait. Eggs. Anyway. Here's the thing. I want you to walk over there and do some o that kung fu stuff on that guy. Don't worry - he's got strength like you wouldn't believe, and he can take a hit thanks to all that super dense muscle, but he won't be like that fer long!" he chuckles, but looks nervously across the street. "Long enough to rip your arms off if you get too close, mind. You do that... and maybe we can work together some more... well, after I checked you out. Can't be too careful, after all. So, what da ya say?"

He paused, then fished inside his jacket, plucking out a roll of fifties. "Real ones, not them fakes that Jimmy the snitch passes on to idiots who can't see the Queens 'ead is pointin' th' wrong way. Jimmy was never th' brightest spark..." he chuckled, but looked nervously as the muscle guy started to cross the road, looking about with a furious stare into every shadow. A car screeched up in front of him, and the guy gave a slap on the bonnet - leaving a hand print and a caved in sheet of metal! The driver looks at the size of the fellow, then backed the car up with a screech and made to turn round, to hightail it out of there!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Aug 26 2013, 17:11

He paused, then fished inside his jacket, plucking out a roll of fifties. "Real ones, not them fakes that Jimmy the snitch passes on to idiots who can't see the Queens 'ead is pointin' th' wrong way. Jimmy was never th' brightest spark..." he chuckled, but looked nervously as the muscle guy started to cross the road, looking about with a furious stare into every shadow. A car screeched up in front of him, and the guy gave a slap on the bonnet - leaving a hand print and a caved in sheet of metal! The driver looks at the size of the fellow, then backed the car up with a screech and made to turn round, to hightail it out of there!

The Haunt thought about this, thought hard and fast, could he actually fight this guys claiming to be a highly skilled martial artist who didn't have super-strength? If he could, it would be an acting job like no other. Something that appealed to his actor's vanity.

"If I can hit his nerve centers, I might be able to take him," 'Garret Hunt' said. "No way I can take him strength for strength and I have no intention of polluting my body with your poisons. That's not the way of my craft. But ... double it and I will give it a try. It's a challenge like nothing I've done before."

Hopefully, this guy hadn't seen any real martial artists but only what he saw in the movies so some of the moves the Haunt would do wouldn't seem that surprising to him.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Aug 29 2013, 20:42

The crook was about to protest, but he saw the muscled goon see him and it came out as a squeak!

"Okay! A grand! Just... slwo 'im down before he gets ta me!" he cried, turning to run down the alley... which had a ten foot high link fence at the end! "Oh no..." he moaned, and turned. "A grand! 2 grand! Just... do something!" he spluttered

The man was built like a stack of tanks taped together and slapped on top of a mountain. Well, not quite, but he would make even the most obscene body builder look anorexic! Was he... getting bigger?

"Oh no... not again! Sometimes the super steroids had an adrenaline reaction! They feed off each other, and the host gets bigger, and bigger... stronger like you wouldn't believe!" he wailed.

OOC This guy is staggering across the road now. He's loaded with so much muscle its hard to tell where his neck ends, and his chest is fit to burst. Haunt is pretty sure he's faster than the fellow, but he's gained something like 100lbs of body mass in the last few seconds... How you going to play this? Acting check, and risk taking a shot (as its a dice action), use his fear aura - which might not actually get through if this guy is full of rage, adrenaline and crazy drugs, or just whack him - Haunt isn't exactly a 90lb weakling himself, after all...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Aug 30 2013, 02:58

"Oh no... not again! Sometimes the super steroids had an adrenaline reaction! They feed off each other, and the host gets bigger, and bigger... stronger like you wouldn't believe!" he wailed.

OOC This guy is staggering across the road now. He's loaded with so much muscle its hard to tell where his neck ends, and his chest is fit to burst. Haunt is pretty sure he's faster than the fellow, but he's gained something like 100lbs of body mass in the last few seconds... How you going to play this? Acting check, and risk taking a shot (as its a dice action), use his fear aura - which might not actually get through if this guy is full of rage, adrenaline and crazy drugs, or just whack him - Haunt isn't exactly a 90lb weakling himself, after all...

"Right!! Let's give this a whirl and see if my master is right about using the guy's own strength as a weapon," Garrett Hunt says grimly.  

"HEY UGLY!!!!  OVER HERE," he yells.  He then runs towards the guy

actions:  acting check I guess then what I want to do is drop to the ground in front  of him, grabbing him as I go down and then kicking him up and over my head.  Sort of a backwards roll kick-throw I learned in Judo back in college.  The big difference is that the Haunt is going to use his super-strength in his legs to kick-throw that guy as far away as possible, making it look like I used the guy's own momentum and strength to accomplish it.  I have no idea how far I can actually kick someone like this but I'm betting it is at least a couple of blocks.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Sep 07 2013, 23:47

Haunt remembers his Judo Classes from way back and whatever he could recall from old Bruce Lee movies...

OOC Acting check is a dice action, so the muscle goon gets his dice action (tries to whack Haunt) Roll 2d10 → [3,5] = (8). Haunt rolls underneath the clumsy blow, drops to the floor and grabs the guys arms on the way down, then thrusts up with his legs.

Acting check to make it look good for Capello... 2d10 → [8,5] = (13) He gapes in astonishment

Planned knockback attack Roll 2d10 → [5,6] = (11). Success, 9RAPs. You can toss him up to 1/2 a mile away but because he's trying to make it look like the muscle guy is half causing it, he flies through the air a hundred yards or so before crashing into a distant alley and scattering/crushing dozens of bins.

The grotesque muscleman seemed to swing, lunge and be propelled by Haunt through the air and out of sight of the small time crook he was 'protecting' who moved to the end of the alley and saw a dustbin lid rolling from the depths of a shadowy alley across the other side of the street.

"That was..." spluttered the fellow. "I... you want a job?"

Haunt glanced at the alley down the street. Muscle guy was superhuman tough, though not in Haunts league. Once he figured out which way was up he'd be on his feet and back here, then Haunt would have to make a less convincing effort to stop him. Still, he now knew that serum wasn't just for show. Wherever this guy had gotten it from clearly knew their stuff - how to enhance the human form to levels far beyond that of normal science.

It was dangerous, and available on the street cheaply. Haunt had a means to track down the source, but now it would be about saying the right things, as well as doing them...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Sep 08 2013, 00:26

Haunt glanced at the alley down the street. Muscle guy was superhuman tough, though not in Haunts league. Once he figured out which way was up he'd be on his feet and back here, then Haunt would have to make a less convincing effort to stop him. Still, he now knew that serum wasn't just for show. Wherever this guy had gotten it from clearly knew their stuff - how to enhance the human form to levels far beyond that of normal science.

It was dangerous, and available on the street cheaply. Haunt had a means to track down the source, but now it would be about saying the right things, as well as doing them...
"As long as you don't try to use me for a guinea pig, sure," Garrett Hunt replies. "That guy ain't down for long, so we better get out. Whaddaya say ... boss?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 11 2013, 12:09

"Right" said Capello, flustered. "You're on probation, ok? Keep doin' good an we'll see bout' getting you some more work." said the crook, determined to recover some composure and show that he wasn't still petrified by what had gone on.

Haunt didn't mention the dark patch around the groin of Capellos trousers.

The pair made their way through the streets, stopping at a high end - though not new - BMW. "We need to stop by my supplier. This thing hit the streets only a day or so ago and already I'm out. Seems everyone wants to be a super freak."

He climbed in, Haunt on the passenger side.

"Thing is, I don't think it's finished. I've seen what this thing does. Pumps someone up, makes their muscles rock hard - I mean, strainin' out the skin. I took it to a Doctor I know earlier today an' showed him the effects on a mouse. This thing grew like, ten times as big and started tearin' its cage to bits. Somethin' ain't right, but hey, it's money yeah? An' we all like some o that."

He drover through the streets of the East End of London at night. Gangs on street corners eyed every car, and hung menacingly around at traffic lights. "You don't wanna come out here on your own at night. They know me, even so, you get desperate junkies tryin' somethin' on. Here..." he opened the glovebox and pulled out a glock. "Protection. Take it. Ammo is in the box. We're on our way ta my contacts place, get some more 'Boost'. That's what I'm callin' it. Got somethin' special ta show ya then, after. A new Idea I came up wi... ahhh crap."

Distinctive blue lights lit up the street behind.

"Cops! Damn it! Random stop an' search I bet, but..." he looked at the gun, then at Haunt. "Time ta show me what ya can do..." he said as he pulled the car up and made ready to get out. Whatever he meant by that, Haunt wasn't sure, but would he attack policemen? The car behind was unmarked, and two plain clothes officers were getting out, a third behind the wheel of the car still...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Sep 12 2013, 21:40

Distinctive blue lights lit up the street behind.

"Cops! Damn it! Random stop an' search I bet, but..." he looked at the gun, then at Haunt. "Time ta show me what ya can do..." he said as he pulled the car up and made ready to get out. Whatever he meant by that, Haunt wasn't sure, but would he attack policemen? The car behind was unmarked, and two plain clothes officers were getting out, a third behind the wheel of the car still...
"Garrett Hunt" figured the best thing to do was get rid of the gun and the box of ammunition. He wanted to stick with this guy long enough to get to his source and not much longer. So he got out of the car and got rid of the weapon and box "Haunt-Style"!

actions: Get out of the car slow and easy, summon a bit of fog, step closer to the building and use the fog to hide the fact that he is stretching his arm to the roof to drop the gun and box of ammo there. Doesn't have to be a heavy fog since it is dark. Just some haze should be enough.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Sep 14 2013, 00:13

"Hands where I can see 'em" snarled a dishevelled looking cop who advanced towards the car, his own hand inside his crumpled jacket. "Detective Shaw, he's Detective Robson. We don't like bad guys. That's why we stopped you."

His partner, equally world weary, looked about. "Where'd all the fog come from? I swear I'm sick of these night shifts. I forget what sunlight looks like..."

The first cop scowled and looked up at 'Garrett Hunt'. "Tough guy huh?" he muttered, and glanced in the car. "Hey... Joseph Cummins... aka 'Joe Capello'... word is you're the man to see for the latest must have drug on the street. What say we go back to the station and talk about it?"

"And what about your girlfriend here?" growled the first cop. "Hands up clown. Now." Shaw gave Hunt a quick pat down, but seemed disappointed there was no weapon, nor anything of interest. "No ID? Who are you supposed to be? His girlfriend?"

Shaw snarled, then added "We really need to talk to Capello. Your choice. You get lost, or come to the station with us."

Capello squirmed in the seat of the car, and looked up - imploring - at Hunt. It was clear Haunt wouldn't get what he wanted if he or Capello were in cells.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Sep 18 2013, 23:46

Shaw snarled, then added "We really need to talk to Capello. Your choice. You get lost, or come to the station with us."

Capello squirmed in the seat of the car, and looked up - imploring - at Hunt. It was clear Haunt wouldn't get what he wanted if he or Capello were in cells.
Garrett Hunt stood there for a bit, thinking over his options, if he attacked these men, Capello would be wanted for more than questioning and even with a gun, trying to get the third man behind the wheel of the car with the radio in easy reach, wouldn't be such a good thing.

But being taken in for questioning wouldn't work either. He was so close to someone high enough to know about the woman and child that he couldn't risk spending a day or so in jail being questioned even if he knew nothing.

Then he had, for him, a brilliant thought.

"Okay, take us both in," he said, raising his hands over his head and linking his fingers behind his head.

actions: plan to get in the car with all of them. "Escape" my handcuffs, if any are used, probably shape shifting a finger into a key. Use martial arts "blows" and "choke holds" to knock the three cops out [ie superstrength] and then get away in their car to Capello's contact. Play it by ear after that. confused 
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Sep 21 2013, 23:46

Capello spluttered "What? Why you lousy..." but his words were cut off as one of the policemen dragged him from the car and spun him about, handcuffing and leaning in with a grin. "Just can't get the right staff these days huh? Mr Cummins. Capello? Who do you think you are, a mob boss from the movies?"

"What we got in there?" asked the other cop as he roughly cuffed Haunt up.

The first cop fished in the boot and smiled as he picked up a clear plastic sachet with white powder in it. "Well looky here..." he said, smiling. "And what's this?"

Capello groaned as a sawn off shotgun was uncovered in the back. He also looked visibly deflated when a plain pill bottle was lifted out, the cops quizzical expression followed by a smile when he saw Capello's face/ "you're nicked my san." he growled.

=========

Moments later Haunt and Capello were bundled, handcuffed behind their back, into the back seats of the car...

"I swear, when I get out of this mess, you're DEAD!" hissed Capello at Haunt. Clearly the guy wanted someone to blame and thought himself too smart to be the cause of his own downfall.

OOC Roll 2d10 → [5,6] = (11) Success.

Haunt raised a finger to his mouth to 'shush' Capello who frowned, pulled a face and was about to speak when he realised the man had freed himself! He gaped in wide eyed astonishment as Haunt then thrust his hands forward, seemingly pressing on the temple of each man in the front of the car...

OOC 2d10 → [6,10] = (16) Success with Multi Attack.

Both cops swooned, and the car, still idling, stalled as the drivers foot slipped nervelessly from the clutch!

Capello watched Haunt get out, drag the unconscious cops from the front and pull a key from ones pocket, setting his 'boss' free. "I don't... I don't believe it! You just... you... you really are a kung fu master! Quick, grab those pills and that blow, and let's get outta here!"

He was laughing, giddy, wild, elated and convinced he was the luckiest man alive after finding what appeared to be the ultimate mob enforcer...

OOC Take Capellos' car or the cops? Next post (tomorrow) will advance you to the stage where things will fall into place...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Sep 22 2013, 01:42

He was laughing, giddy, wild, elated and convinced he was the luckiest man alive after finding what appeared to be the ultimate mob enforcer...

OOC Take Capellos' car or the cops? Next post (tomorrow) will advance you to the stage where things will fall into place...
Garrett makes sure the three cops are not seriously injured as he puts them out of the way.  He also takes a quick second to grab one of their small notepads and pen and writes a short note inside the pad, trying not to let Capello see or even know what he is doing.  [ooc:  note says "Sorry Chaps, couldn't let you blow my cover"  The Haunt]

"Had to get inside the car since there were three of them," he explains.  "Less chance of shooting and witnesses.  So ... we take their car or your car?  Both will have problems long term since they will be able to track either one, once they know that they need to.  Their car and we get to hear what's on the radio.  Our car and we don't pull up in an unmarked police car to your supplier's place.  Which is it to be?  We will have to dump whichever one we drive after that."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Sep 24 2013, 23:49

"Man... don't scare me like that! Damn, the way you took those guys..." Capello shook his head in admiration.

Haunt turned, gave him a look.

"Ok, ok. Get in my car. We'll take it... I know the place."

=========

Fifteen minutes later they pulled up outside a grotty lockup.

It looked like a series of low rent garages and workshops under a railway bridge. Capello explained "Here, we can dump a car. Drive in, got every GPS and tracking jammer known to man hooked up. Hand over the car, a little cash, and drive out with a new one. Be a few minutes."

Whilst Haunt waited he thought back about the note. The police would be confused and wouldn't know what to make of it. The Haunt had been a scary figure in the crime fighting scene for only a short while but an effective one. His first few 'collars' had spoken of a white clad figure riding around on a ghost white horse, mist wreathed all about. They'd spoken mostly gibberish, frightened witless. Haunt had toned it down a little so at least the criminals would do time in the prison rather than the jail, but his reputation was still fearsome, if not exactly widespread.

That'd change.

"Sorted" said Capello. He stood next to an old Mercecdes complete with pimp my ride blacked out windows and shiny alloy wheels. "Shouldn't have too much bother from cops now!" he proclaimed.

Haunt resisted the temptation to roll his eyes. This car would stick out even worse than the last high end car did.

=========

"Ok man, here's the thing. My people don't know you. Do as I say, you'll be ok..." said Capello.

They'd parked up opposite a shining glass and steel tower block. Lights shone on the outside. Two men sat at a desk inside the lobby. Security. It looked legit. Haunt knew it'd be like walking into the lions den though...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Sep 25 2013, 13:24

FROSTBITE ISSUE ONE - STARRING ... THE HAUNT!!!

"Ok man, here's the thing. My people don't know you. Do as I say, you'll be ok..." said Capello.

They'd parked up opposite a shining glass and steel tower block. Lights shone on the outside. Two men sat at a desk inside the lobby. Security. It looked legit. Haunt knew it'd be like walking into the lions den though...

Garrett Hunt nodded, looking totally relaxed yet at the same time, total alert.  He started looking for the security cameras while walking behind Capello.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Sep 28 2013, 22:37

OOC Yeah, Frostbite Issue 1 barely starring Frostbite at all. That'll change with the next issue. Watch out for it at some point tomorrow. Have the kids all day (right, where's the eye roll smiley...) just like today and yesterday Rolling Eyes  (yup, that's the one) but will get time to steer Haunt into the murky and downright dangerous world of organised crime...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Oct 05 2013, 23:49

OOC For right or wrong I'm of a mind to award exactly the same award for this adventure of Haunts as the others got in theirs. Strictly speaking I have to evaluate the challenges and tribulations to tot up the awards but there's been more in the way of role play and detective work for Haunt which means he's going to miss out simply because he's not slugging it out with some musclebound goon. That said, our adventures follow different paths from standard tabletop roleplaying. What might be an adventure run over 4-6 sessions takes place over the course of months here so there is the problem of ensuring players feel like they are getting somewhere. If it takes 6-9 months to finish one issue (8 months for this one I think) I feel that tossing the rules of HP/experience awards out of the window is justified.

Haunt 123HP.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Oct 06 2013, 01:37

Nice xp.

Reminds me of when Hercules took over the Incredible Hulk's title for a few issues before it was finally called Incredible Hercules! I love you 
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10