The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception"

5 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception" - Page 2 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception"

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Apr 05 2013, 22:18

Admin wrote:Frostbite
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

"What'll it be?" asked the Barman, slightly annoyed sounding. His eyes appraised Joe. "We'll be 'avin no more vagrants 'ere either. Pay or go. Bad enough we got one we can't get shut of on account o bein the Earls mate of old..."

Appearing slightly taken aback, Joe struck out boldly. "Well whatta you know..." It was relief to let his obvious American accent drift over the man. "I got to wondering if i was in the wrong place. So the Earl he does live here. Fancy that, Carl wasn't having me on."

Moving up to the bar and taking a seat, so that he could take a look at the man in the corner whilst addressing the barman, Joe looked sympathetic. "I'm sorry to hear about your trouble." A quick nod toward the barman's knuckles said as much as men needed to say about a clear misunderstanding. "And I assure you I don't wanna be any trouble. Old buddy o mine, said I should look up his relative if I found myself this way. Earl St John's. But thing is I didn't want to go knocking on a big old mansion, announcing who I was, only to find our Carl was having me on. You Brits, with your sense of humour. Us yanks, we'll I guess we're too trusting."

Joe let the words mollify the man, as he was acting deliberately self depreciating in a way to get the barman on his side. "You can imagine how stupid I'd feel, if in my time I need I knocked on the door, asking for the Earl, announcing that I was a friend of his cousin, Carlton, only to be given the heave ho, because my friend was having me on all the time. Well I thought rather than just march up to the door, I'd come to the font of all wisdom. Barman, like your good self sir, are underrated and under appreciated. A good man like yourself no doubt knows what I mean. And can see his way to putting a fella straight. So can you tell me if my friend was having me on. Is their even an Earl in the manner?"

Joe, looked inquiringly at the man, hoping that he'd struck the right balance in terms of getting him warmed toward himself and his obvious need, without fawning over the man.

Whilst he waited, Joe sent a private instruction so only Frostbot could pick the thought up, "I want you to monitor any radio, digital or other communications that are going on in this place. Be aware of anything out of the ordinary. We don't know that St John's hasn't got enemies or spies here and we'd best be up on anything that is being said about us if we've got unfriendly eyes here!"

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception" - Page 2 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception"

Post  Admin Tue Apr 09 2013, 00:41

Frostbite
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

The Barman relaxed somewhat when hearing the 'yank' go on about bar tenders being virtual royalty (at least in their own minds) and worthy of respect even from Earls or their friends.

OOC Charisma check (unskilled) 2d10 → [9,5] = (14) Success. Don't think Invisible Castle have turned out a bad roll for a while, even for Frosty Smile I'd link to the roll if you like but I need to see the numbers (as listed above) in case of doubles, whereas a linked roll only gives the result, not the dice themselves.

"Well..." frowns the fellow. "The Earl has a tab here and his friend in the corner..." he nods at the fellow nursing a drink. "Takes full advantage of it. Mr St Johns said of the man that he could stay at the mansion and come and go as he pleased, or that we were to put him up in the Kings Arms and send the bill to the Mansion. Don't get me wrong - the Earl and his family have kept Caer Alwyn in work and the village alive for... well, generations really. Even if the current Earl is a bit of the salt of the earth, like meself, an' come from a workin' class background... Some of them toffee noses he rubs shoulders with at the Gentlemens clubs in London whisper about him but the Earl would knock 'em clean out were they to say owt to his face and show disrespect. Used to be a boxer, or at least a bit of a scrapper, so I gather. His mate over there, with the mangy mutt at his feet... he's a fighter too. Truth told when I 'it 'im it were like 'ittin a wall. Weirdest thing. I clobbered 'im, what with him takin' a piss in the corner on that chair leg, and he took it, never retaliated. I 'it 'im again, and the strangest noise, like a dog, or a wolf, come from 'im."

The fellow paled. He leaned in "Sommat weird about 'im, aye, an there's strange goings on there is. Sheep slaughtered, Word of a huge dog running wild in the woods. Some superstitious type painted that star thing on the outside of the pub, I meant to rub it off but a few 'ave said they like it, and it might pull in a few tourists. Me?" He grabbed a glass to dry off with a cloth, and eyed up the bearded man in the corner. "I don't know. All I know is that no matter how good the Earl is at payin' 'is bills, that bloke better not piss on the furniture any more. I mean, 'is dog don't do it, so why does he?"

"As for the Earl? Well, when he's at home he comes in, gets a few rounds in for the locals, who all work on his estates anyway, but it's a fine gesture. He spends most of his time in London. He's a big wig in the cabinet, special advisor on 'metahuman affairs' or some such, but I don't know what makes him such an expert. Only 'eard that cause some reporters come snoopin' round, but they won't get nowt. Earl St Johns - all of 'em - are the life blood and soul o this place, and I'll batter senseless anyone who says otherwise."

His face changed, another frown, then a sigh. "Suppose I should apologise to 'is mate over there. Here."

He poured two pints, then passed them to Joe. "One for you one for Kevin. That's 'is name. Kevin Hammill-Hope. Wanderer type, disappears for ages then turns up again. Needs a bloody bath, I can tell ya that. Drinks are on the house an' if you can get 'im to take a bath an' find somewhere else for the dog to stay, there's another drink in it fer ya."

He waited, still drying the dried glass, for Joe to take the drinks and sit down next to the bearded man in the corner.

=========

"Instructions received. Scanning."

"Turn slightly to your left. No, your left. There."

Joe's eyes alighted on an attractive woman in her early thirties, blonde hair tied back in a pony tail, jeans, white shirt, leather jacket draped across the back of the chair. She sat with two men, a bearded fellow in his late forties and another man, heavy set, who looked to be around forty and had fists like hams, biceps to match.

"The woman is communicating with her mobile device. Tracking. The target location is a telephone at the offices of a local television centre. She may be a reporter. Her message states 'might have a lead on the sheep killer dog story.' Wait... turn to your right."

Joe turned, and his eyes alighted on a fellow in tweed and rough working clothes, facial features obscured by a flat cap.

"That man has taken a photograph of the fellow in the corner known as 'Kevin Hammill-Hope'. It was sent... destination unknown. Live tracking would be required."

Joe looked at the fellow again. The man looked up, returning the stare. The top half of his face was in shadow, but the straight nose, line of a mouth and steel gaze told Joe he was no local farmer.

And the drink in front of him was untouched.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Apr 09 2013, 08:57

Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

And the drink in front of him was untouched.

Turning back to the Barman, Joe thanked him for the drinks and with a nod toward the Hammill-Hope, he casually moved over toward him.

Inwardly he instructed Frostbot to continue scanning. If the man posing as a farmer made a move, Joe wanted to to know about it. But at the same time, he was mindful that with the press here, he had to make sure evidence of his existence wasn't misused.

As he walked over, images flooded his mind. As soon as the barman had said the rough wanderer's name, a wave like an ice cold shiver went up his spine. Although unknown to him, given his origin in the a different time, nonetheless, the images told a different story. A story where Kevin Hammill-Hope was also known as British Bulldog, a hero and in someways a monster. The beast that gave Hope his powers, was always threat, in that could its primitive nature take over the man. As he approached, he knew he had no chance of surprising the man, perhaps even his smell, might be familiar to him.

"Evening, chilly one to, glad to get in from the cold otherwise I might catch my death of cold, or at least get Frostbite." He stood over the table, aware of the dog. But then with a shrug, placed the pints in front of Hammill-Hope and took the seat opposite. He sat back taking a swift look around, acting casual as if seeking to strike up a conversation, but clearly looking unsure. Joe had to play it smart, if Hammill-Hope was being followed, anyone who appeared to know him, might only heighten the level of surveillance, and Joe couldn't have that.

OOC:
Ok so given that someone is onto Kevin, I will play it like a dumb tourist, the hint about who I am really and my scent might be enough to put Kevin onto me, might not. in any case I will keep the conversation light, talk about the Earl and wanting to meet him, can Kevin help etc. But I will also be keeping an eye on the man watching us, make sure I act casual etc. But at any chance I get to whisper my real intentions to Kevin I will do.

If all else fails, I will try and create a diversion, freeze the pipes around one part of the kitchen where its hot or something cause some sort of a problem, that will draw attention away from us, if we need to make a quick get away.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Apr 13 2013, 00:12

Frostbite
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

The beard was heavy and obscured many of the mans features.

His face, what could be seen, looked puffy and bruised. Kevin Hammill-Hope was a man in his early forties Joe figured, but he could have been years younger or older, it was hard to tell thanks to years of alcohol abuse and self pity. The man had *something* about him though which Joe could clearly see in his eyes as he looked up from the glass. He sniffed, and anyone other than Joe might figure it was nothing, but then the Joe inside Joe Hoskyn had known this man in his former life and knew what he could do... Therein lay the problem - Joe Hoskyn was completely different from Joe Rigdon.

"Who are you?" asked Kevin. "I ain't done nothin' wrong. In fact..." his voice trailed off but Joe heard him mutter "Quite the opposite, not that anyone knows it."

"Wait... what did you say?" he looked up now, and the dog at his feet seemed to sense a change in its master too. It gave a low, gutteral growl.

"Oy! Keep that dog under control Hammill, or you're out, don't care who your mates with!" shouted the barman! He gave a knowing glance at Joe, shook his head and kept serving drinks, though kept one on on the table.

Kevin ignored the barman. He stared at Joe across the table. "I asked who you were..." he snarled. His eyes seemed to flicker and change colour, from blue to yellow! His upper lip curled up, revealing slightly elongated canines. "If this is some kind of joke, or a trap, or you're with the press, or some scumbag organisation... I'll make you regret it!"

Keven tensed... and Joe was sure the mans shoulders seemed to be expanding steadily inside his coat!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Apr 13 2013, 14:21

Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

The beard was heavy and obscured many of the mans features.

Joe only knew a little rudimentary flashes of memory, snatches of conversation and the name, the name was clearest of all. Joe didn't freeze, he didn't bluff and bluster, he just looked calmly at the man.

And as he spoke, it was with a measured calm pace and quiet voice. The man his companion might have known, might have been Kevin Hammill-Hope, but was this Kevin anything like that of the man he'd known. He'd clearly been through tough times.

"Let me tell you a story..." seeing the look in Kevin's eyes, Joe added quickly, "A short story...I have a friend, Joe, Joe Rigdon, he was once also known as Frostbite the leader of a group this world knew as the Vanguard. They were this country's, well this world's saviours, though few even know it today. You were part of that team, you once carried a Shadow Prince, as did Joe." Looking unflinchingly into Kevin's eyes, Joe wasn't sure what was going on, but pressed on. After all the man was clearly once part of the Vanguard, at least as he understood it. Trouble was of course, given their return to what was possibly Joe Rigdon's time, Joe didn't know if any of this still was true.

"The Vanguard disappeared, but in fact they went back in time, after Hitler, who with help overode the timeline so as to win the war. But you don't just go back in time without a cost. Joe Rigdon, is me, or rather is within me. He lost his form, but shares mine. Frostbite lives on and so do the Vanguard. I don't know much, his memories are not all together clear and he chooses what to reveal but I can tell you that this is no joke..."

Joe added as he grasped the pint in front of him, and brought behind Kevin's so as to cover the momentary frosting that began to creep across the glass as Joe continued to hold Kevin's gaze with his own.

"Now I appreciate its going to take a lot more than this to convince you, but I guess you can tell whether I've been straight with you or not. I guess you are aware, but but keeping you company here tonight to one side is a press reporter and her crew and I also believe some sort of agent for who knows what outfit. I suspect he might be onto you, if my abilities haven't given the game away already! In any case I think its time we met with the Earl and you fill us in on what we've been missing since we've returned!"

Looking at the man's expression, as if to answer the silent question, Joe nodded, it wasn't only him who had left England in the 40's trouble was, where were the others. Had they been scattered to the four winds, or even worse into different times? He had to know. Steeling a glance toward the sinister looking man, as Joe casually glanced across the room, he wanted to make sure that they weren't challenged when it was time to move.

OOC: If Kevin believes, me, I suggest we leave separately to make it easier to throw off potential pursuers. And meet at the entrance to the Mansion...if he doesn't well I guess I am going on my own.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 17 2013, 06:23

Frostbite
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

The bearded man sniffed about the table, still looking suspicious, although less hostile than moments before...

"I don't recognise your scent... but Frostbite could do that." he nodded to the frosted glass. "Don't do it to mine otherwise you owe me a new pint!" he added, finally relaxing some. He glanced across the room in the direction of the reporter. "Yeah, I know I'm being followed. There have been reports of cattle being slaughtered in this and the surrounding areas." He sighed, picking up his drink and taking a sip. "It was me."

He let the shock of that pass over Frostbite and continued. "I lose control. My four legged friend here..." he nudged the snoring dog with a toe "Helps me control the rage. I can transfer part of it into him. A rabid dog is easier to deal with than a raging werewolf, believe you me. The effects wear off but it leaves poor old Winston here exhausted. I came back to Caer Alwyn because I need help but me and Justin... well, we don't see eye to eye on a lot of things. Wandafar would help but..."

He looked at Joe then shook his head. "Most of this will be over your head, right? You're not him - you're not the original Frostbite, but you have some of his memories, is that right? If he is in there, tell him I'm trying to be the hero I think I was meant to be, but this curse, this sickness, is eating away at me. When I become the British Bulldog there's only right and wrong, no middle ground. Black and white, no grey, and in a world of grey that makes me as much the bad guy as the good. You see, I bring criminals to justice, but I can't... I can't stop myself. At best I give them a thrashing. At worst... he looked away. Justin has covered for me as best he can, and we fell out when I said I could control it, the beast inside. I was wrong, he was right, but it's too late for that now. I'm wanted by the police, and considering turning myself in, but if I changed I'd turn on them - I have a thing against cages you see."

He sighed, sagging back, a man defeated. "Someone caught me on camera phone changing. From Kevin to Bulldog. They sold the pictures to the press and I've been - pardon the pun - hounded by reporters ever since, all the while denying it was me. The Police want British Bulldog for questioning but the press are trying to get conclusive proof that I and the Bulldog are the same. That's why I grew the beard, dropped off the grid. Seems I didn't fall far enough." he said, glancing at the reporter.

He stood, grabbing his rucksack. "Come on. Let's go see Wandafar at the mansion, for what it's worth. He offered his help and I refused. In fact, worse than that, I changed and went berserk, and trashed his lab. He hasn't forgiven me, and has refused to see me since. Things have gone from bad to worse since the Executive ended. I thought the Vanguard would be a new start, but that ended almost as soon as it started. I don't know why, but I trust you. Only thing I'd say is don't give a reason NOT to trust you, or the change will come and ... well, don't be in swinging distance is all I can say. Sorry. My mental and spiritual state is tied in with the psyche of Britain. When she suffers, I suffer, and right now I'm hurting..."

=========

The short walk from the pub across the village to the gates of the mansion didn't take long...

Sure enough, moments after the pair left, dog waddling behind, the reporter - if that was who he was - left and climbed into a car, watching.

Kevin pressed the button on the gate and waited.

"Who is zis? Don't you know vot time is it? Get lost." grumbled a voice on the other end.

"Pierre. It's me." said Kevin.

"Kevin? Go avay. I em turning off ze intercom, und ze defences of ze mansion are going up to 11. Do not climb over ze vall again, or you vill get more than 10,000 volts zis time! You are crazy, und refuse our help time und again! Justin says to turn you over to UkChampions, und I am sinking he is right but we were old team mates und you vere good leader if a little crazy. Now you very crazy und ... who is zat beside you and vat... vait! Oh no Jennifer und Bill are breaking up again in Days of our lives. Zis is... zis is disastrous! Vat vill zey... oh. You still zere Kevin? GO!"

Wandafar reached for the intercom control...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Apr 18 2013, 08:11

Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

Wandafar reached for the intercom control...

At the sound of Wandarfar's voice something like a cold shiver ran down Joe's back, once again. This was strange, coming to visit for the first time, but with this unshakable feeling you deja vu. "Wait, Wandafar, I'd know that testy voice anywhere." Except at that moment, Joe, didn't. It was a memory a strong one that sort of imposed itself. Joe couldn't help wondering if this might be par for the course, until he got himself orientated. He didn't look like the other Joe, so visually there were no cues, as Kevin realised earlier. But still he knew that the men shared more than a body. Wandafar was smart.

But before he could say anything else, another voice suddenly interjected. "Joe!" peering into the intercom lens, Joe said "Richard! Lionheart is that you! Let us in, I've got an old friend!" Again Joe found himself acting and speaking in ways that made it feel as if someone else was in control of his mouth. It was still odd, even if it began to feel less unsettling.

Waiting before the doors, Joe listened in the conversation between Lionheart and Wandafar, and wondered where this unexpected development would lead them. Stealing a look around, he had to wonder if their silent observer in the pub, wasn't watching them now. Sometimes the best way to hide was in plain sight, but somehow Joe doubted that this conversation they were having shouting across an intercom was doing them any favours, if the man was watching them.

It would be good to see Richard, up until now Frostbite had entertained the idea that maybe only he'd made it through. Or that the others might be captured, as he nearly was. Even without the shadows, that used to empower them, Lionheart was easily the most formidable of the whole team. But from what he knew of this time, there was powers even beyond Lionheart here. And if this world resembled the one Joe left before, their being here was going to send up a red flag that would undoubtedly leave them exposed until they could orientate themselves and play it smart.

Looking back to the gates, and thinking over all Kevin had told him, Joe felt sad for the man. His powers had brought a heavy price and like it or not, the man would be a liability whilst the beast dominated. Joe had to wonder if there was some way around this. And in the meantime, how long Kevin would stay within four walls before rage would take him off. It would be sad to think that there first case together would be one in which, they had to stop a team mate!

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Apr 21 2013, 00:02

Roll Call:

Wandafar (Pierre Wilgommen)
Lionheart (Richard King)
Frostbite (Joe Hoskyn)
British Bulldog (Kevin Hammill-Hope) + Bulldog (Winston)

(and later)

Yeoman (Jack Robertson)
Silver Sentinel (Steve Jenson)

Also:

A 'reporter' following BB

Where:

Caer Alwyn

Wandafar narrowed his eyes. "Zis is not Frostbite. Not the Frostbite I knew. I hef DNA records und initial scan indicates zis man is not he."
"Wait..." said Kevin. "This IS Frostbite. He knows things only Frostbite would know and..." he sniffed, then glanced around. "We're being watched."

The gates opened. With a glance at Frostbite Kevin lead the way in down the drive.

=========

5 minutes later the lift opened to the lower floors of the caves below the Mansion

Wandafar rotated on the chair to look at Joe and Kevin as they entered. "Any of your messing around Kevin und I slep you in ze stasis ray und take you down to Dogs trust, where zey never put a healthy dog down."

The bulldog growled.

"Und if ze doggy does vee vee or poo poo you vill find zet I get very angry. You vud not like me ven I em angry. Heh. I got zat from tv show. Bill Bixby." chuckled Wandafar.

Kevin held his hands up "I know... I've been... and idiot. Just... I want to say sorry to Justin. And to you. You were only trying to help and I thought I knew best. I... I need help..."

Wandafars face stayed hard for a few more seconds, then softened. "For old times sake. You ver a good leader. I never liked ze Howwwwwl thing though. Cocking your leg up against ze lamp post was embarrassing too."

"Wait! I never..." started Kevin. Wandafar waved him quiet and turned to Frostbite. "I run all scans. You are not ze Frostbite I know. Not physically. But stranger things heppen when zey are at sea. Vatever zat means. Besides zet Frostbite was not American. I sink maybe zet..."

Beeep! Beep!

Wandafar turns and glances at a screen. "Incoming! Vait. Transponder shows it is Yeoman." He sighed. "He vill make ze silly jokes und never be serious for 2 minutes und it is like talking to brick wall. He flies, he hits things, he make joke und leaves me to figure things out und... oh. He has someone viz him."

The various screens all switched to make one giant screen. A dot against the darkening sky was visible. The picture was frozen, then zoomed in. Pixels blurred and shifted, and transformed into the faces of a masked man with a half face black cowl and another man with a full face hood on, probably to conceal where he was going.

"I vill give Yeoman ze signal. I do not know who zis person is... but if Yeoman trusts him enough even viz zat hood on, it is good enough for me. Ze idiot." scowled Wandafar. "Oh, und zere vas something else. Attempted transmission outside of gate. It is scrambled phone, like military use. I could crack but ze code is booby trapped so zat if it is intercepted or diverted it delivers a virus into computer not recognised or prepared. Zet is no problem, but virus is nasty vun und I would miss Home und Avay. Cannot having that be being."

=========

"Ok, I'm taking the hood off now." said Yeoman to Silver Sentinel

Steve blinked and looked around. He was in a huge cavern, hollowed out and fitted with all manner of machinery around the walls. Various machines and computers filled the place, and in the centre was a plinth raised 6 inches above the floor. On it was a semi-circle desk faced by over a dozen screens. In the chair there sat a small man in silver armour looking at the pair of you.

Another man, bearded, looking like a tramp with a scruffy bulldog near his feet raised an eyebrow at your appearance, seeing as Steve was in world war II uniform.

Standing nearby were Richard King (Lionheart) and Joe Hoskyn (Frostbite)!

The man in the chair called out. "Vot stray hef you dragged in zis time Yeoman? No, don't tell me, he is someone from ze pest, und has been displaced by a mystical temporal anomaly only to arrive in zis time, und ... " he frowned. He turned to Frostbite and Lionheart. "You know zis guy?"

OOC Ok, that's three of the old gang back together... Over to you chaps...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Sun Apr 21 2013, 08:01

"You better know me, what the hell happened? What are we like a hundred years in the future?"

smaug
Class 4 Hero (Powerful Superhuman)

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Apr 21 2013, 15:18

smaug wrote:"You better know me, what the hell happened? What are we like a hundred years in the future?"

The man in the chair called out. "Vot stray hef you dragged in zis time Yeoman? No, don't tell me, he is someone from ze pest, und has been displaced by a mystical temporal anomaly only to arrive in zis time, und ... " he frowned. He turned to Frostbite and Lionheart. "You know zis guy?"

Lionheart grinned, and interjected before Frostbite could get a word in edgeways, "Wandafar I can see you're almost as quick as me, you even out of armour I'd now that soldier buz cut and all. Hey Steve welcome to the ride of a lifetime and perhaps your new home."

Frostbite then interjected as Lionheart finally paused for breath. "Wandafar let introduce another member of our team, yes someone else who came through the gate. This is Steve, Stever Jenson, also known as the Silver Sentinel. Steve be very careful with you powers around Wandafar, he is very attached to his stuff, bud. Ok!"

Then turning to Yeoman, Frostbite held out a hand, "In another time and place, you knew the first man to ware the title Frostbite, I am his sucessor in many ways..." Joe said, before adding "And some..."

Then turning back to Wandafar, Frostbite asked, "Enough time for chatting, we were followed by a someone, plus there is a reporter snooping around after Kevin here. But there seems to be people onto us, advanced technology the like of which even we've not seen."

And then Lionheart added, "Yeah I nearly got taken out by an advanced welcome party. They had this huge of shore base, with pretty nasty defences and men that were like blood hounds. I escaped after following them to the base, but couldn't get much save this." And Lionheart handed over the gel pack he thought to be some sort of bio black box from the ship he'd nearly died in. "I am not sure what you've government thinks of us in this time, but these guys were playing for keeps."

So turning back to Wandafar and Yeoman, Lionheart and Frostbite looked on curiously wondering what to make of the world they'd stumbled into, with Silver Sentinel.

OOC: Wow three threads consolidated into one, now we're talking, now just got to get the others onboard. Anyway I am most interested in finding out about the baddies that welcomed Lionheart and Frostbite back, love to follow up that little thread, but if something else comes up it can wait. We'll see what is what.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Apr 22 2013, 17:53

Yeoman seemed to relax some when it became clear that Wandafar was alright with the people in his cave

He shook Frostbites hand and took a closer look, suspicious. "You don't look or sound like J... Frostbite. For a start off he wasn't American. This is kind of confusing..."

"To me it is perfectly clear. You are just thick is all I am saying." interjected Wandafar

"...but if the cranky Dwarf says you're ok, I'll go with that." finished Yeoman.

Wandafar was already distracted though, and took the gel pack from Lionheart. "Zis is alive..." he muttered, turning it over. As he examined it everyone else listened to Lionhearts account of the base he'd infiltrated.

Frowning, Yeoman muttered "That doesn't sound like something the British Government would pay for. We're still reeling from the austerity measures a few years ago after all that money printing failed - spectacularly - to revive the economy. What you're describing is... well, beyond the means of the United Kingdom, seeing as though SMITE and DICE are operating on fractions of the budgets of their American counterparts. We'd better take a look."

"That reporter that was snooping around after me..." started Kevin. He shuffled about, looking at his feet. The dog mirrored his actions, making it look somewhat comical "...needs sorting out."

"You led him here?" asked Yeoman. "Of all the stupid, half witted... Justin will have your head for this! Don't you realize what an idiot you've been Kevin? If not for the fact that..."

ROOOOOOARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

The howling roar sounded more like a pride of lions than a wolf, and the gathered heroes watched as Kevin Hammill-Hopes clothes shredded, hair bursting forth from every gap... his nose swelled and extended, becoming a snout, and his entire body changed - so that he stood there in a crouch, ready to pounce as a seven foot tall werewolf! The dog underwent a change as well - it grew, instantly, massively, becoming the size of a horse and fearsome in appearance! The pair of them, all slavering jaws and with feral eyes glaring, paced towards Yeoman in a crouch, ready to pounce!

"Ahhh..." said Yeoman, backing off a few steps "Looks like the anger management classes weren't much cop then. So, uh, nice doggy?"

Wandafar glanced up from his desk, reached across it for what looked to be a flashlight, glanced at British Bullodg and Winston, then down at the gel pack. A pair of goggles slipped over his head and lenses dropped in front of his eyes, and he shone a light on the gel pack, taking close scrutiny and apparently ignoring the conflict to come! "Fascinating..." he muttered as he stared deep into the depths of the Gel Pack.

OOC British Bulldog is about to eat Yeoman!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Apr 22 2013, 20:32

Admin wrote:OOC British Bulldog is about to eat Yeoman!

Frostbite was about to interject, already his body began it rapid transformation into the familiar hard frosted armour that served as a the more familiar guise that these heroes knew him to be. If necessary he'd ice Kevin to the spot, but he wondered if in so doing he might just drive the beast out. But before he could determine a course of action, he felt Lionheart's considerable mental prowess like a wafting wind or a cool breeze.

Suddenly Lionheart spoke to Frostbite, in his mind, "Calm him!"

Frostbite didn't need to guess that Lionheart had found yet another power or hidden ability that was only now beginning to surface. Frostbite moved, forward cautiously, he didn't wish his movements to be interpreted as a show of force of challenge.

"Kevin, Kevin. I know you're in there, I know you don't want this. Yeoman we all are struggling, times are tough we've got to pull together. This is our pack, this is our clan, you are one of us, but this isn't the way. You know this, you don't want to do something that will only make you more alone, more vulnerable to the beast within. Kevin. Fight, but fight for control, beat the beast, show it you are master..."

Whilst Frostbite employed what empathy he could, his mind wearing as images unbidden came to him, of a different time and place, which he tried to use to speak to Kevin, locked deep within. Lionheart casually, broadcast calm toward him. He also was aware that the beast might sense this as a trap, but hoped that with the sense Frostbite was talking, he might reach Kevin deep within and together they might pull him back from the brink.

As Lionheart broadcast empathic peace and goodwill toward Bulldog, Frostbite couldn't help but wonder if Lionheart's mental control, might offer a way by which Kevin could rebuild his shattered will and overcome the beast within once again. If he couldn't, Frostbite wondered how they could humanely keep Kevin from loosing control without being inhumane!

OOC: Ok so whilst Frostbite tries to appeal to Kevin, Lionheart will try and use his Broadcast empathy to calm the beast down. Especially if this is as a result of anxiety, or anger. Depending on what state he reads from what he can sense, he will try to work with the beast so that its less of an attack and more of a nudge in the right direct.

Also Frostbite is interjecting himself so Yeoman doesn't make things worse, by continuing to bate the beast.

However if that doesn't work, Lionheart being the slightly impetous type will push harder. If all else fails he'll use super speed to interject himself with his force field raised. And Frostbite will use Ice Production to freeze him to the spot if necessary.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Apr 23 2013, 00:53

OOC Will post when Ross updates but a quick note on Broadcast Empath - it's at 1AP, and relies on Lionheart shifting some or all of his 10 points of power reserve into it to have any chance of success, which means of course other things like Superspeed and Strength lose those points. There is also a chance of a low roll 'burning the power out' for an hour but in actual fact it'd just be 2 minutes thanks to Lionhearts regeneration. You're on the right track though. When I read the post (at first) I wondered if you'd know that Broadcast Empath would be useful in this instance Smile As it is, there are several of Lionhearts other powers that will also prove useful, though to use those Frostbite, Sentinel and Yeoman may have to restrain Bulldog and his horse sized monstrous chum. More later on (sack time now...)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Apr 23 2013, 01:03

ooc: They aren't going to attack using Fang over Fang are they? Sorry, been reading and watching way too much Naruto lately! drunken
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Apr 23 2013, 07:44

Admin wrote:OOC Will post when Ross updates but a quick note on Broadcast Empath - it's at 1AP, and relies on Lionheart shifting some or all of his 10 points of power reserve into it to have any chance of success, which means of course other things like Superspeed and Strength lose those points. There is also a chance of a low roll 'burning the power out' for an hour but in actual fact it'd just be 2 minutes thanks to Lionhearts regeneration. You're on the right track though. When I read the post (at first) I wondered if you'd know that Broadcast Empath would be useful in this instance Smile As it is, there are several of Lionhearts other powers that will also prove useful, though to use those Frostbite, Sentinel and Yeoman may have to restrain Bulldog and his horse sized monstrous chum. More later on (sack time now...)

OOC: Yes good point on the power spread, lets add in 6 points and take them from speed, for the time being. Not worries about how quick I am with the force field in operation. I wasn't sure about the other powers I've got, there is still so much about this set of rules I don't know. Its a bit like having unfamiliar spells, need to get some time to read them through.

Hopefully Ross will post today...

Hey Dave what is "Naruto" for us unaware Brits?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Apr 23 2013, 12:04

ooc:
Naruto is a manga/anime series. The anime has been running for 15 years in Japan. The manga, a lot longer. It is basically a ninja series and Naruto is the main character, a young orphan boy who want who wants to become the leader of his village one day. Each ninja or ninja family/clan has his or her own special attacks and defenses. One of Naruto's friends fights with a large dog [puppy when the series started] and one of their attacks is Fang over Fang, where they spin about so fast that they create whirlwinds around their bodies and smash into their foes. Kiba Inuzuka, and his dog, Akamaru.

Tons of video games based on the series. Five or six movies. Novels and other stuff all come from the series.

And for a ninja, Naruto is very visible, wearing a bright orange jumpsuit like outfit. Very Happy
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Tue Apr 23 2013, 17:51

OOC: Sorry guys thought my post came through this morning, should of checked after hitting send.
Assuming sentinel is still restrained and those restrains are made of metal like some kind of handcuffs.

IC: Sentinel quickly willed his restraints into one of his hands behind his back, whipping his pale arms forward he then launched the slag at the now fully transformed wolf, the molten sphere reformed in mid air hurling at the beast at great speed before turning into a small crudely made chain. The manwolf clawed at the chain, and tearing clumps of fer with it, that was now wriggling round his arms like a python, Steve knew the chain properly be strong enough to hold him but it might give his colleagues some time.

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Apr 23 2013, 22:18

smaug wrote:IC: Sentinel quickly willed his restraints into one of his hands behind his back, whipping his pale arms forward he then launched the slag at the now fully transformed wolf, the molten sphere reformed in mid air hurling at the beast at great speed before turning into a small crudely made chain.

OOC: yeah got to make sure the page refreshes to know if it loaded ok or not. Sometimes I've gone preview and then realised I've not pressed send. Just don't leave the page till it refreshes with the post at the bottom of the thread or else it doesn't seem to get posted.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Apr 25 2013, 11:26

[i]OOC Update later on (about to rush out for another 11 hour grind of a shift. In case anyone wondered, my work is seasonal, so in theory when it gets warmer I should get less busy. So, still waiting *looks at the weather forecast wishing it would get warmer*) In the meantime check out this thread to see where Haunt/Retribution come in.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Apr 25 2013, 17:34

Lionheart felt that shift of Psionic energy inside that triggered his ability to change the emotional state of a target...

It was a power he didn't use often - forcing someone to calm down or like him railed against his nature. Still, needs must...

OOC 2d10 → [8,4] = (12) Success... sort of. In his bestial state British Bulldog is far more resistant to mental attacks. In addition he has a strong Mind (mental defense) which means that...

British Bulldog seemed to calm for a moment, then roared his anger and Frostbite stepped in front of the bestial hero. Though iced up, he looked very small against the threat those super sharp claws posed! That said, perhaps Frostbites best defense were his calming words...

OOC 2d10 → [3,10] = (13) Good roll, but falls short of what is required.

Or not. British Bulldog leapt!

Silver Sentinel had quietly altered the composition of his manacles (OOC roll 2d10 → [1,9] = (10) which isn't his dice action but a requirement of his metal manipulation power). Seeing how strong the creature was, he put his best effort into it!

OOC Glue 14 (same effect as an entangling series of super strong chains) and Body 13 means OV/RV are 15. Roll 2d10 → [7,9] = (16) Success, the chains will last for two minutes.

Creating an impossibly thin and strong chain rope from his manacles, Silver Sentinel whirled it around his head like a lasso, but knew the creature would strike out before he got chance to use it (OOC that would be next round)

Lionheart winced... what the...? He held his ear in pain. What a time for an ear ache! Then he opened his eyes... no, not an ear ache, an ultrasonic frequency emanating within the cave or somewhere nearby... he glanced at Bulldog and his transformed canine companion, Winston, and saw that they, too, had winced at the same time... and their rage increased ten fold! They attacked!

Frostbite was about to call a warning when he saw a flash of light over the other side of the cave. Two strange figures, one in all black that reminded him (somewhat) of Nowhere Man and another all in white - with a cowboy hat - stepped from a tall clear glass tube in the corner... Were they friend, or foe? Wandafar turned on his chair and spoke to the one in Black, and neither had sprung to the attack, so maybe they were...

ROOOOOWAAARRRRRGGH!

He was reminded of his surroundings at that moment!

OOC Initiative time. Declare actions - I presume Sentinel wants to lasso British Bulldog with his super-chain. Lionheart? Frostbite? Haunt? Yeoman is going to take to the air and swoop down to swing at Winston the BULLdog. Wandafar is taking no notice, and chatting to Retribution as the dark clad man walks over to him. 2d10 → [1,1] = (2) Heroes 1, 'Villains' 1 (we'll treat Bulldog as a villain at the moment). Will work out who goes first and resolve actions in the appropriate order in my next post, but declare actions for now.

Remember you can make three actions, one of which can be a DICE action (like an attack or something that has a chance of failure), one can be a MOVEMENT action (where you use flight, teleport, or just plain run, whatever you have, if needed) and any remaining actions (or all three if you like) can be automatic actions which require no roll. An example of these are certain powers use. Defensive powers do not take any actions to use. Over to you!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Apr 25 2013, 17:51

Admin wrote:Remember you can make three actions, one of which can be a DICE action (like an attack or something that has a chance of failure), one can be a MOVEMENT action (where you use flight, teleport, or just plain run, whatever you have, if needed) and any remaining actions (or all three if you like) can be automatic actions which require no roll. An example of these are certain powers use. Defensive powers do not take any actions to use. Over to you![/i][/color]

OOC: Ok Frostbite will wave his move and turn in intangible and then use his Ice Production (is it) power to complete encase British Bulldog in ice. If I can't make him listen I will cool him down and poor it on.

Meanwhile Lionheart will go from subtle to full on, he'll tackle Winston if Bulldog is handled by Frostbite. The beast needs besting, I'm the cat to do it. So all power into strength and speed and smack him one hard. If however it turns out Frostbites attack is inadequate to stop British Bulldog then I will use Mental Blast on Bristish Bulldog, its quiet powerful, lets hope its enough to cut the dogs claws and stop him before this gets ugly.

Frostbite shouted as he knew the others would go on the offensive, of them all part of him distant and removed knew Kevin was struggling from within. "We subdue, do not kill. Protect what you can, these are not our enemies, but we've got to contain this before Kevin does something he'll regret for ever!"

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Apr 25 2013, 21:57

"Give me a scorecard," the Haunt muttered to Retribution. "Who is the one who needs to be stopped. Oh damnation! Forget it!!!"

The Haunt steps forward, closer to the melee but not in-between the fighters and hits everyone in the room with his Fear attack.

"Settle down," he snarls. "I have a woman and child to save and minutes may count!!!"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Fri Apr 26 2013, 07:47

OOC: Okay then im going to try to roll back off the chair, assuming there isn't much here for cover.....not that much can withstand a werewolf attack, im going to try to get a little distance as i use the chain in one hand but (i know its cheesy) hold the chair at arms length in the other like a lion taimer.

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Apr 27 2013, 01:55

OOC British Bulldog and Winston are actively trying to resist attacking their friends. They act last.

Lionheart acts first, Haunt second, Frostbite third (joint with Yeoman), Sentinel fourth.

As far as I can make out, Lionheart bangs his 10 points in strength (lifting him to 15APs strength, or around 750 tons that he can press...

Lionheart attacks with 9 Dex against 10 Dex (British Bulldog). Target number is 11. 2d10 → [7,7] = (14) DOUBLE! plus 2d10 → [10,4] = (14). Holy smoke, that's a hit and a half! 6 Column Shifts... BB's 12 Body is enough to make him bulletproof, cannon proof for the most part... but not Lionheart proof! 15RAPs damage!

Lionheart delivers an incredible spin kick to British Bulldogs jaw... and sends him flying across the cave to crash into a computer server!

There is a huge smash as the lupine form flattens an expensive looking machine, and Wandafar (finally) looks up and takes notice. "Hey! Vat is going on? Oh no. Justin vill be moaning loudly at zis. Again. Always ze same ven Bulldog comes to visit!" he sighs.

Retribution looks up and seems to appraise the fight. "Bulldog is down. That means that..."

The wolf form staggered to its feet, impossibly, and roared its anger!

Wandafar glanced back at Retribution. "He is changed much since ze Executive years mein friend. He cannot be easily stopped when angry!"

Lionheart settled back on his feet... Bulldog should be out for the count with that powerful blow. In fact, he hoped that he hadn't hurt... He gaped when the wolf form got up, shaking its head!

Frostbite makes ready to fire off a beam of cold...

Yeoman shouts "Sorry about this Wandy, but I'm gonna have to smack this doggy something hard! Might make a mess!" he laughed.

"Wait! Nooooo!" moaned Wandafar, slumping to the desk theatrically and thumping a fist up and down.

Retribution rolled his eyes. "Perhaps I should..."

"No, let zis lot sort it out. If ze doggy goes nuts it might need blesting." muttered Wandafar from the desk, his voice muffled. Retribution shrugged.

Haunt had seen enough! He fired off his intimidating aura at all in the cavern!

OOC This is a multi attack without penalty, attacking all within range regardless of being friend or foe! Haunt has 9APs Aura of Fear. Opposing value is Intelligence, Resistance value is Mind.

Against Lionheart 2d10 → [4,4] = (8) DOUBLE plus 2d10 → [10,9] = (19) Ouch... 27. 6 Column shifts. Lionheart has a Mind Field which I assume is in use. 8RAPs. Lionheart runs in fear!

Against Frostbite 2d10 → [5,7] = (12) 4RAPs. Frostbite runs in fear!

Against Sentinel 2d10 → [6,1] = (7) 4RAPs. Sentinel runs in fear!

Against Yeoman 2d10 → [8,8] = (16) DOUBLE! plus 2d10 → [4,5] = (9) 25 total. 6 Columns...11Raps Yeoman freezes in fear!

Against British Bulldog 2d10 → [7,10] = (17) 3 Columns. 6RAPs (he has mental field in beserker wolf form, but it wasn't enough to block this attack) British Bulldog runs in fear!

Against Winston 2d10 → [7,3] = (10) 4RAPs. Winston runs in fear!

Against Wandafar 2d10 → [6,8] = (14) Failed.

Against Retribution 2d10 → [1,1] = (2) FAILED!

Lionheart, Frostbite and Silver Sentinel shriek like little girls, then turn and run the opposite way!

British Bulldog and Winston yelp, then run to hide into a corner!

Wandafar shakes his head. "Impressive ettack, but vill not work against 8th level mind." he tapped the side of his head. "I hef several brains you see. Ven vun is under attack ze other two kick in und make it all better for ze poorly vun."

Retribution growled "Retribution does not feel fear. However..."

OOC 2d10 → [6,9] = (15) Perception check, passed

He narrowed his eyes. "Something happened here. The fellow who drop kicked Bulldog winced at the same time Bulldog and Winston did. An attack of some kind? Wandafar. Scan the cave for unusual energy signatures."

Wandafar shrugged and tapped on a computer. "Justin vill lid his flip for zis mess. Zere is nothing to... vait. Vot? Ultrasonic signal, strong and constant. Heard only by doggies. I suppose ze Lionheart chap has some doggy in him?"

Retribution looked at the screen. "It's coming from... the dog? Winston?"

Haunt turned and looked at the huge creature, a 1500lb Bulldog the size of a horse. Massive, and yet something was out of place... The collar had grown to match the size of the beast? With a stretched arm he snatched it from Winston, snapping it with his superhuman strength from the whimpering beast!

Up closer, Wandafar turned it over. A disc was attached to the inside of the leather collar. He plucked it from the collar, looked at it, then poked it with a tiny screwdriver.

Instantly British Bulldog and Winston sagged and started to transform... Bulldog back into near naked Kevin, Winston into a normal sized dog! They still cowered in fear, mind...

Retribution turned. "Perhaps you should cancel your 'Haunt'?" he said as he watched Lionheart, Frostbite and Sentinel hiding in the far corners of the cave... He pulled a face as he saw Yeoman had... well, wet himself, as he curled up in a heap on the floor! Wandafar couldn't help but point and laugh, and scrambled about, looking for a phone to take a picture...

OOC Combat was over when Haunt used that power of his! It's a mental attack if anyone wondered. Lionheart and co aren't bad against mental attacks, but those rolls were brutal!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Apr 27 2013, 02:43

Retribution turned. "Perhaps you should cancel your 'Haunt'?" he said as he watched Lionheart, Frostbite and Sentinel hiding in the far corners of the cave... He pulled a face as he saw Yeoman had... well, wet himself, as he curled up in a heap on the floor! Wandafar couldn't help but point and laugh, and scrambled about, looking for a phone to take a picture...

"The needs of Justice can be ugly," The Haunt rasps in his otherworldly voice as he turns off his Aura of Fear. "Now everyone BEHAVE for lives are at stake! Innocent lives and I will not have you be accessories to their murder!"

ooc: Not too clear on the attack I just did. While doing a full out attack, the whole 9 APs, do I get to control how big an area is affected? Or even who is affected or are these advantages I will have to get using hero points later on? And if I did an 9 AP fear area, just how big was that?
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next