The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception"

5 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception" Empty The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception"

Post  Admin Mon Mar 04 2013, 21:12

Frostbite
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception" Frostbite_titles_issue_1_vanguard_new

Ouch. Well, that answered the first question. He was still alive…

Darkness, a roaring sound, then light. Pain? Not so much. A superhumans body doesn’t feel pain in the way an ordinary persons does. No, the pain is inside, that doesn’t heal with medicine.

Joseph Rigdon peeled his face from the floor and looked around. He was clothed in tatters instead of clothes, and the scenery about was wild, windswept moorland. He stood, dusting himself off and gave up. Too much grime and soot. Running hands through his hair Joe searched for something familiar. A landmark, town, roadsign…?

There in the distance, it looked like a coastline, and the smell. Seawater? Yeah. So, the coast then. But which one?

The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception" Moorland

=========

Elsewhere…

“Sir? We have a contact. North. Tracking…”

The man in charge leaned over the operators shoulder and muttered in her ear. “Get a lock. Scramble a team. Protocol 6.”

=========

Joe had already noticed something different…

Speed. He was faster, by several magnitudes, than he’d been before. He'd flown up and the speed had caught him by surprise! A change then? Coming through that magical gate was bound to have had some kind of effect. For starters it had scattered the team… elsewhere. General Wynn was… he didn’t know. Had he made it through?

“Tracking GPS satellites.” Stated Frostbot in his mind. Joe breathed a sigh of relief - he wasn't alone. “You are near Stornoway a village on the Isle of Lewis off the North West of Scotland. Recommend you make contact with your team mates.”

Frostbite tried. The Shadow was gone. With it, the ability to talk to his friends, regardless of distance anywhere in the universe.
What if they’d not come through the gate, or gone to another world? One like the one he was on but different in some way? First things first…
In the distance there was an echo, like a crack, or a boom. Thunder…? Or something else?

OOC According to Frostbot Joe is a couple of miles north and slightly east of Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis in the North of Scotland. He doesn’t know when – exactly – it is, with regards time. He’s just woken up after coming through the gate and there’s no sign of his friends or the aeroplane they came through.

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception" Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception"

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Mar 04 2013, 22:11

Admin wrote:Frostbite
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

First things first…
In the distance there was an echo, like a crack, or a boom. Thunder…? Or something else?

OOC: And we are back, like the little chart above BTW neat...

Joe, it was himself! Not the other him, the one that...correction whose body, mind heart he had shared. What happened to the other him? Had the gate somehow changed or... His mind, that part of him that was still human strove to understand. But in truth he had more pressing matters to attend to. That sound, didn't necessarily present danger, but Joe was too used to things not appearing as they ought.

"First things first, recon and evaluate!"

He said to no one in particular, more for the sensation of hearing his own voice again, outside his body and not within him mind.

Getting his bearings, he over shot. After a slight adjustment, his lack of control, made him look awkward and clumsy, he moved off due East toward Stornoway, staying low to the ground cautious of eyes prying as he made his way to the outskirts of the nearby town. There he hoped to find a clue as to what time and what else was familiar or otherwise about where he had come down.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception" Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception"

Post  Admin Wed Mar 06 2013, 12:59

Frostbite
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

Frostbite was conscious of the rags he wore. British army fatigues from the 1940s.

OOC Ok here's where we make a few choices - is it the original - Joe Rigdon - in charge or the 1940s version, American Joe Hoskyn who will look in wide eyed wonder at a world nearly 80 years on from the one he knew and left. I *assume* Rigdon is back in charge. If not, let me know and future posts will reflect that... I will look at Frostbot too. Needs tweaking if we're to emulate what it was in the previous game. Radio Communication I think, to 'interface' with items that can receive transmissions.

"Updating" stated Frostbot. "Within range of WIFI network. Date... June 13, 2017. Time..." As the computer voice reeled off information - the weather report and news feeds for the most part, Frostbite considered his next move. He was in the future again. The language was English, there were no Nazi flags about the place and no patrols. The village looked quiet, peaceful, cars humming about and people about their business. Gulls cawed, distant boats sounded horns, somewhere a school bell rung.

Not home, not quite yet, but close.

He wondered who was left from the previous time he'd been here, or almost here, and whether he had ever existed at all in this time.

"Help you sir?" asked a voice behind. Joe stifled a curse at having daydreamed and turned to see a man stood nearby. Dressed in rough working clothes, he wiped his hands with a rag and tossed it on the floor near tools. He'd been working on a car in the driveway of his home. "Ye look lost." The fellow was probably retired, in his 60s, white snowy beard and thin on top. The car was old - 80s vintage - and devoid of things that made it hard to home service.

Just then Frostbite heard the distinctive distant 'whupp!' of choppers. More than one. The old fellow looked up, squinting. "Ye hear tha? First the lightnin' flashes last night, outta nowhere, then a fella wanders inta town in what ah thought were fancy dress, save ma da wore that uniform when he was servin' in th army. Looks like its seen better days. So do you. Who are ye?"

The sound of distant helicopters got louder...

OOC Hard to tell the direction they are coming from. The house Frostbite is near is one set on the outskirts of the village. No one else around on this street bar him and the old fella working on his car. And by 'old' I mean late 60s, and no insult intended Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Mar 06 2013, 14:01

Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

OOC Ok here's where we make a few choices - is it the original - Joe Rigdon - in charge or the 1940s version, American Joe Hoskyn who will look in wide eyed wonder at a world nearly 80 years on from the one he knew and left. I *assume* Rigdon is back in charge. If not, let me know and future posts will reflect that... I will look at Frostbot too. Needs tweaking if we're to emulate what it was in the previous game. Radio Communication I think, to 'interface' with items that can receive transmissions.

OOC: You know there is part of me that loves the idea of Joe Rigdon returning home. Then you used this line…" Not home, not quite yet, but close."

And then part of me begun to think, wouldn't it be great if Joe Hoskyn (Joe 2) was in charge of Joe Rigdon's body (Joe 1). Joe 1 is alive and well, well aware now that he doesn't have to share head space with the Shadows as to what is going on. More importantly, he is aware that he is 'home' in terms of time, but not in terms of place.

So why don't we play up the wild eyed boy Joe 2 from America, in someone else's body (Joe 1). This after all is a reverse of what happened when Joe 1 when he first went back and was in Joe 2's body. [Just for the record I hope this stops after his otherwise I could end up with Joe 90 at this rate Wink Sorry had to be done] Anyway my one worry is will it grow a bit stale and ware off after a bit? Don't know, I'd like to see Joe 1 return, but perhaps as a residual effect of the gate for the time being, Joe 2 is present and correct within Joe 1's body but nothing else save his own memories. .

So with that in mind…

Joe looked at the old man, his face straining as his head felt to small and he struggled to come to terms with yet another change. He felt odd. He could shake the feeling that his body just didn't fit right. He'd hardly noticed up till now, because he'd been flying. But now on the ground, he realised his clothes didn't fit, even if they were rags.

Pulling his mind back, a disturbing thought bounced around the back of his mind. He was back, but in whose body? Off to one side, he perceived something an outline, a ghost. He couldn't tell. But suddenly a voice spoke in his head, but seemed to sync with the vague outline beside him.
"We're back, but things aren't as they should be. Joe, can't you see…"

The voice sounded desperate, distant and distraught all at once. But Joe was aware that old man was looking at him with an increased sense of bewilderment. Then the sound, was coming close.

"Sorry sir, er yes…I got lost. Part of a eh, film crew, shooting a picture. Must have taken a tumble and er, lost my buddies. Sorry to disturb yah, be out of your way." He said as he stumbled past the old man.

It was clear that whatever was after him, had some means of scanning him. He'd best get away, he didn't want to be the cause of more trouble, his presence bringing down some unwelcome government yes men or otherwise.

Moving off beyond the bewildered man, Frostbite ran, down the main street, taking the first turning he could and then flying quickly down the street, trying to be careful to avoid prying eyes. He had to get away, more importantly he had to find out who was following him.

OOC:
Ok so as soon as I can get away from the village, I will melt into the rocks and see if I can't spy on my pursuers. So just out of interest do I need to roll to be intangible and sink away into the floor or is this going to be a problem just to assume I can get on with it and we carry on with the action?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 06 2013, 22:56

OOC Joe Hoskyn, young American, no problems Smile He won't know anyone in Britain at this time then. Any family he does/did have will have died longer ago in America, though there may be descendants knocking about. Bear in mind that the last reality the team was in was Hoskyns birthplace, so that any relatives here won't actually be his relatives, but will be genetically identical albeit with some life changes of direction (for instance the Shadow Demons never came to this plane of reality - the Vanguard stopped them before their scourge could spread further, though millions of other timelines had been wiped out by the menace of the Devourer)

Dispersal works by doing the following - determine how many points (up to 10) of Dispersal you want to use. If you use 9 or 10 points it tires you out, and inflicts damage on your Body stat (a limitation I put on the power to make it cheaper) but 8 or less is fine. If the Body of an attack or an attacker is equal to or less than the number or points you use for Dispersal, that attack will have no effect on you. If the attack or attacker has a higher Body than the number of Dispersal points you have in effect, you Dispersal points add to your Body when determining resistance against attacks (so if you use 8 points you break my little house rule of 15 and have 18 resistance, but there are a few 'house rule breaks' and I'm not too bothered Smile ) You can move through objects with a body of equal to or less than your current Dispersal APs. Whilst dispersed Frostbites Strength is reduced (to a minimum of zero) by the number of Dispersal points being used. His energy blast is not affected, and Energy blasts can affect him more easily than physical weapons, objects or powers.

Example:

A thug shoots a gun at Frostbite who is using 8 Dispersal. The bullet has a body of 5. Bullets will pass through no matter how accurate the shot it. Later a supervillain blasts at Frostbite with an Energy Blast. Energy Blasts don't have body so can affect him, so he adds his 8 APs (Dispersal in effect at that time) to his Body score bumping his resistance up to 18. Chances are the Energy blast will hit him, but not harm him anyway, unless its very powerful.

I'll assume you're using 8APs of Dispersal. Using more makes you more resistant but reduces your body score quite rapidly

Frostbite
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points
Powers in effect: Dispersal 8, Flight

"Eh? A fillum? Roond here? Och, why didn't Mary an th' other town councillors tell me? Ah'd best get dressed up! There might be a part fer me!" said the old fella as he turned and hobbled back into the house.

Joe (OOC 90, heh, that made me laugh out loud Smile and get a few funny looks ) soared down the street, turned and zipped along the next one. Landing in the shadow of an alley he heard a crackling voice come into his head.

"...Tango Charlie four, do you have a lock? Target vanished off our scope, repeat, vanished of our scope, over."

"...This is Tango Charlie four responding. Negative on contact. Suggest land outside the conurbation and advance on foot. No point in scaring the locals. Head to the last contact point. Something's here. Stick to Protocols. Over."

"Understood, searching for a landing zone, Tango charlie seven out."

Frostbite blinked. He'd heard their radio communications! Clearly that was Frostbots doing. In the meantime he looked about at teh street, noting the clothes, vehicles, shops... whilst it wasn't quite what he imagined the future to be in 70 years - this was no 'Metropolis' vision of the future as envisioned by Fritz Lang.

'I'm here' said Joseph Rigdon inside Joe's head (OOC little bit of NPCing here, holler if you object). 'This is closer to my time, my original time. Maybe I lost a couple of years. Anyway, you need to get a change of clothes and something to eat, a place to stay. Whoever is tracking you can detect something about you, and that comment about the lightning storms suggests our entry to this world was less than subtle. Also we need to find the others. They may need help! From the sounds of that radio transmission Frostbot picked up, they might not be able to detect you when you're dispersed, at least at a distance. Up close they'll maybe have more luck, and certainly be able to see you!'

Joe nodded and looked out at the street. There was a convenience store across the road with people going in and out occasionally. Whilst they might not sell clothes there would be a chance to get food there. Without money he'd have to steal it, unfortunately.

Other options included asking someone for money, for help, or getting away from here and trying to give his pursuers the slip. According to Frostbot he was on an Island off the North West coast of Scotland.

"...Tango Charlie four, we're down. Adopting Protocol 6. Stay in contact. Tango Charlie seven out."

They were down, and would soon be wandering through the town. Assuming they blended in, who then could Frostbite trust in this place? If they were after him, chances were that they would come inwards from a circle around the small town... Out of the frying pan, into the fire?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Mar 07 2013, 22:15

Admin wrote:"...Tango Charlie four, we're down. Adopting Protocol 6. Stay in contact. Tango Charlie seven out."

They were down, and would soon be wandering through the town. Assuming they blended in, who then could Frostbite trust in this place? If they were after him, chances were that they would come inwards from a circle around the small town... Out of the frying pan, into the fire?

OOC: As regards NPCing Joe 1, that makes my life easier and things less contrived. So feel free for now. Thanks for the explanation re Dispersal...

If Joe was going to get anywhere, he had to blend in, or rather stop looking so obviously strange in his WW2 fatigues. Moving quickly he spied a likely house, and gentle poked his head into the wall, to look beyond. He hoped he didn't appear in someone's kitchen and draw unwanted attention to himself. As much as it galled him to steal, needs must. Even if at some point he could make good and send a few bucks back to recompense whoever he managed to procure clothes from.

OOC: Right Paul first order of business, try to avoid scaring people disperse into a suitable home, grab some clothes, and then see if I can't wander around the place, and find out what is going on. I am hoping that a) I can remain dispersed, so that I am 'invisible' to detection b) can see or find those who have an eye on me, trying to locate me etc c) get enough info, so that if I am to leave I am not going to have to spend all my time dodging all sundry of pursuers.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Mar 10 2013, 15:26

Frostbite
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

Frostbite figured 'needs must' and hopped through the walls of nearby homes. Soon he found the wardrobe of a man who looked to be about his size, and with a little help from his 'modern' self was able to select clothes that would allow him to blend in with ordinary folk and not raise an eyebrow.

He turned solid in order to don the clothes, and quickly made himself intangible a minute or so later...

=========

"Wait! There!" shouted one of the men from the Helicopter

The others responded, and started to close in...

=========

Suitably attired, Joe Hoskyn, young american from the era of World War II, stepped out into the street

Without money, a place to stay or food, it was clear he would have to resort to theft again. The thought was depressing, but he could keep a track of all he'd stolen, from whom, and return it when he had chance.

OOC Perception Check Roll 8,1 (9) Success

Something drew Frostbites attention to a man on the other side of the street. He was tall, dressed in shirt and jeans, and speaking on a hand held communications device (phone). His furtive glance at Frostbite alerted him, as well as the small handheld device in his other hand.

'The human male some 20m distant is using a device which scanned your genetic code, as well as all others in the vicinity. Whilst intangible you will not register on the device, but that in itself will be part of the problem - all other ordinary humans' said Frostbot referring to shoppers in the street - 'WILL register!'

Frostbite stifled a curse. Clearly whoever this man was - and it seemed clear to the hero that he was no random individual - he was trained in the hunting down of people like him!

OOC That he is! The street is fairly long, ordinary shops and shoppers out and about on a typical week day and unaware of the unfolding drama... Joe raises no suspicions from them but the man with the device is interested/baffled for the moment. He's watching and keeping pace with Joe as he walks some 20m away. One more thing...Roll 8,9 (17) Success...

Suddenly 'Modern Joe' said a single word 'Wandafar'
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Mar 10 2013, 16:59

Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

Suddenly 'Modern Joe' said a single word 'Wandafar'

OOC: Ha ha, I was thinking of travelling to Wales after this and seeing if our resident Alien was about still. Excellent. I'd forgotten how much I miss this time...

The name seemed strange to Joe, but then his counter part gave the mental equivalent of a look that said, 'trust me on this.' and so Joe, shrugged back.

"Ok so what we need to know is if Wandafar is here on his own or is he working for the army types who showed up earlier..."

Joe knew what he needed to do, draw the man, along then seek to find a place where he could ambush him. Clearly he knew a thing or to this might be the most convenient way to find out what is going on. Moving off, steadily, but not too quick so as to loose his interested tail, Frostbite moved amongst the shoppers. He pretended to look in shops, but in truth was bored, or shocked by the outrageous styles he saw for clothes.

As he worked down the street, he had Frostbot access whatever communications he could to ascertain any kind of municipal layout for the street and what might be here.

OOC:
Right as soon as I find a street down which I can go and hopefully lean our friend, I will disappear into a wall, then double back and appear behind him. Then confront him, trying not to spook the guy into an attack. I want to try and prevent using any of my other powers, so that I don't create a big show that draws unwanted head and attention on our conversation. But if it is Wandafar, I'll greet him and ask the obvious questions, what is he doing here, does he know what is going on etc? At this stage I won't mention the others but would be interested in knowing if he knows about them and why, of all people he homed in on me!.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Mar 11 2013, 00:42

Frostbite
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

OOC Heh, it's not Wandafar - this guy is a military type, some 6' plus. Original Joe would recognise Wandy. Instead of pointing out Wandafar he was - perhaps - suggesting Frostbite seek out his old friend. Even if this worlds Wandafar might have shaky or no knowledge about Frostbite, and certainly not in his current incarnation.

With a quick 'hop' into a wall, waiting, then hopping out behind the man who tailed him Frostbite had to stifle a chuckle as the fellow looked around, down at the handheld computer and around at ... well... an empty alley.

"Who are you?' asked Joe from behind.

The mans' face was a picture, but his reactions bordered on superhuman! His phone fell from limp fingers that shot inside his jacket and smoothly pulled a compact pistol that looked like it wasn't made of metal. Pointing it at Frostbites face he offered "No. Who are YOU? Speak quickly, or you'll need a new face!"

A standoff?

Or it would be, if Frostbite weren't intangible, and very probably immune to the effects of whatever that gun fired!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Mar 11 2013, 07:37

Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

A standoff?

Frostbite sighed, "The more things change, the more they stay the same..." He emphasised his heavy American drawl, so as to confuse the man. He couldn't be sure that any record of him existed in this time line, but he wanted to offer up as confusing a picture as he could. Why give anything away for free.

"Who are you looking for, are you usually in the habit of tailing American tourists?"

Frostbite looked shocked, as if noticing the gun for the first time and wanting to see how the man would react. He pondered the use of Frostbot, could the device, the weapon have sophisticated circuitry that he might exploit? He wondered as he waited.

OOC:
Right does Frostbite sense if Frostbot could take over or jam the weapon from where we are located? If so lets do that and then keep the guy talking. If its clear I can't and nothing much save a fight is going to ensue then I think it might be time to ice up the man where he stands and get out.

So assuming that the gun ploy doesn't work, I'll use the frostbite power to make the air suddenly become really cold, so cold as to effect even the man in front of me. I'll use it as a distraction, as if I am effected to and then see if I can't use that to either sucker punch the guy or blast him. I don't want to harm him, just knock him out and get out of there. However if the simplest route is the most direct, I'll simple walk through him and fly off. Next stop Wales...

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 12 2013, 23:06

Frostbite
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points
Powers in effect: Dispersal 8

Frostbite thought it, Frostbot responded.

Joe noticed a light on the gun - which looked less like metal and more like something else (OOC It's ceramic, but he's from 1941). And that something depended on advanced electronics. Bingo.

It changed from green to red.

'The weapon is deactivated. The design is advanced, not atypical to this time periods usual armaments. This suggests resources beyond those available to the best funded world governments of this era.' stated Frostbot.

The man repeated. "I said, who are you? You'd better talk or... what the hell?"

He looked at the weapon, adjusted it, shook it, looked aghast and pressed a finger to his ear. "This is 9. I... there's..." He paused, then looked at Frostbite again.

Joe was impressed. The fellow was clearly an expert martial artist and his roundhouse kick would have flattened - possibly worse - an ordinary human being! As it was he fell, but caught himself as his leg scythed through nothing instead of connecting with Frostbite!

His eyes widened, and he reached to press a finger to his ear again...

OOC Initiative... Frostbite Roll 2 + 22 , Soldier Roll 1 + 13. Frosty goes first. In fact, it's pointless rolling initiative unless the soldier rolls 10. He's reaching for his earpiece to alert his buddies. Frostbite acts first. He's Intangible, so you need to drop that (doesn't cost an action, you can just do it) to affect him physically. He intends to contact his friends and move (run) seeing as his gun doesn't work and his best shot didn't touch Frosty. You have three actions. Automatic actions are those where no roll is needed, like using certain powers (like Dispersal) where no roll is needed. You can use one of your Automatic actions to move (run, fly etc). One of your three actions can be a Dice action, like an attack. Over to you Smile

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Mar 13 2013, 07:38

Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

Frostbite thought it, Frostbot responded.

His eyes widened, and he reached to press a finger to his ear again...

OOC You have three actions. Automatic actions are those where no roll is needed, like using certain powers (like Dispersal) where no roll is needed. You can use one of your Automatic actions to move (run, fly etc). One of your three actions can be a Dice action, like an attack. Over to you Smile

"I don't think we want anyone interrupting us..."

And once again, with a thought Frostbite reached out and allowed his onboard computer consciousness to effect the coms piece. What to do, the man clearly was trained and though Frostbite might be able to pull useful information out of him, truth be told it would take too long. But he couldn't have him blabbing to his friends once they pinpointed his position. No, reluctantly, Frostbite decided it was time to put this guy to sleep in the most expedient fashion he could think off. A straight out blow to knock this guy out before he or things got any worse.

Frostbite knew that he had a great disadvantage, he had no idea of the innocent people here might also be seen as curatorial damage, he couldn't have that. It was time to leave, without a way to extract information, he was pretty much useless hanging around waiting for them to capture him.

OOC:
Ok so drop the disperal, Have Frostbot disable coms, but only dialing out, it useful to be able to listen in. And then I'm not going to use my powers just strength to attack with a straight up attack. I figure the more powers I use, the more they've got to work on later. So I'd rather keep somethings to myself. However if it turns out I am woefully underpowered to attack with a straight up fist attack, then I will have to go for some other means, whatever of my attack powers is best, without being lethal. Once this guy is down, I'll search him and then activate dispersal and leave.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 14 2013, 23:38

Frostbite
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

Frostbite became tangible and swung with a fist to crack against the guys jaw!

OOC AV (Dex) 8 vs OV (Dex) 5. 2d10 → [5,9] = (14), hit, two column shifts. 5RAPs damage, guy is knocked out and crashes into a wall behind before sliding down...

Frostbot speaks in Frostbites head 'Interface completed. Listen in function activated. Would you like me to disable the tracking device built into the headset? Bear in mind that doing such a thing will arouse suspicion in itself if someone is monitoring this operative.'

Frostbite knelt next to the man and rifled through his pockets. ID... let's see... Keith Gorman, Polilce Inspector? He was about to do a double take when he found another... Guy Forsyth, MI4 Government Intelligence? What in the... Another??? James Robins, Department of Environment? Either the guy was schizophrenic or ALL of these were dud IDs, designed to get him into anywhere, any time!

Ammunition for the gun. Didn't look like metal. A small metal case... locked... *crunch* correction. Pills? A red one and three blue ones? Frostbite frowned. He was a man out of time, and aside from the 'other' inside his head and his computer, pretty much alone in this timeline - he didn't even know if the others were her or had scattered... or were dead! Without the Dark Power there was no way of knowing...

He sighed. The Dark Power had given him the power of... well, godlike power, so to speak. Earthly concerns were far below him, but in the here and now, without it, he was having to rely on his abilities which had lay dormant for a long time. In many ways the Dark Power had been a crutch to lean on, and he was having to learn how to walk again...

'Come in 9? What is your status?' crackled the earpiece. Frostbot had mentioned the device had some kind of tracking feature. He looked down at the prone form lying in the alley. Frostbite had the funniest feeling he'd uncovered the tip of a very large iceberg, and that wasn't funny at all...

OOC Go? Stay? Make a run for it? Become the hunter and beat the information out of someone? That'd have been the 40s way Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Mar 15 2013, 09:53

Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

Frostbite became tangible and swung with a fist to crack against the guys jaw!

Frostbot speaks in Frostbites head 'Interface completed. Listen in function activated. Would you like me to disable the tracking device built into the headset? Bear in mind that doing such a thing will arouse suspicion in itself if someone is monitoring this operative.'

"No don't disable the tracker..."

Speaking quickly into the communicator as he inserted it into his own ear, Frostbite said"9 Here" He let out an grown as if in pain, "Got jumped, target last seen..." And Frostbite quickly offered up another street name, one he'd seen when he first walked down the high street, but away from where he was.

He hoped that would satisfy the enquiry, but quickly added, "I'll catch you up..." He knew he didn't speak the terms and even sound like the man he'd just taken out. Although he tried his best impression from the few words he heard him utter. But in all likelihood, the chances where the man who called it in, wasn't going to buy this bluff, well not for long anyway. Frostbite didn't like what he saw and wondered if the others weren't also in similar trouble. It was time to leave, but perhaps before he did it wouldn't hurt to see how things played out before he did.

"Frostbot, I think that they may realise that their coms are compromised and will likely change channel. Track what they do, I want to make sure that I am wise to what is going on." With the he effortlessly pulled the man to one side, took the clothes that looked like they'd fitted and put his own clothes, onto him. Grabbing the ID's, the gun and any other equipment he had, he got himself ready.

Then dispersing his body once again, having propped the man to one side Frostbite flew up the side of the building and submerged into a large chimney stack that went one side of the building. Sinking within it he hoped he remained virtually invisible as he pocked his face out, hovering some 25' above the ground his body still within the chimney as he kept a careful watch on the alley below.

OOC:

So submerged into the chimney I thought it was a safe bet to assume there'd be such a thing, and keep an eye out for the guards. As they swarm over the spot. I believe they will come not least of all because I probably didn't do a brilliant job of impersonating the guard no 9 anyway. So it will sound like it was me all along. Hopefully they'll come weary but then when they see 9 out for the count and me in his stuff, they'll assume that I've made a run for it or tried to back around and blend in. Hopefully I'll have provoked some confusion and therefore be able to listen in on their operation. Depending on what they come back with, I may decide to try and follow, or depart at this point.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Mar 18 2013, 00:37

Frostbite
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

Sure enough, the incorrect protocol was pounced upon.

Frostbite, hovering unseen and barely poking from the building he watched as the newcomers - all clad in ordinary plain attire to 'blend in' and including women as well as men - spread out and cover every exit and detail of the alley as they checked on their fallen comrade.

"Spread out. He's got to be around here somewhere. We may need backup. Call Command. Send an Alpha Dog team." said one crouching by the unconscious soldier.

A pair of soldiers scooped up the unconscious soldier and moments later a plain white van rolled up, doors sliding open at the side and another two soldiers dragging the downed man in. The doors slid shut and the van roared off.

That left a single soldier crouched in the alleyway holding what looked to be a thin slab about the same size as a sheet of paper in one hand, with a screen and images on it. This 'tablet' interfaced with a scanning device in his other hand. "Temporal anomaly trace indicated. Command? This is 11. We definitely have a case of incursion. 9 is down. We need support."

"This is Command. We have our own problems. Stand by." came the reply. The sound of klaxons going off rang out over the airwaves, with Frostbot/Frostbite listening in.

"This is Command. We have an intruder. His temporal signature indicates another incursion. Scanning your data. Confirmed. They have the same temporal marker, though our intruders signature is layered, as if he came from not just one, but several previous locations. This is a Class Zulu emergency. Scanning data on your location. Population 17,452. I will need authority to instigate a purge of that magnitude. Stand by for... what the...? He's in the access tubes. No scanners. We're blind! Get someone in there after him! I don't care how fast he is! 11, stand by for further orders, Command out."

The soldier known as '11' contacted the rest of the team. "We may need to bug out in a hurry. Command have declared a Zulu Dawn but haven't given the 'go' yet. Find this man! We may be able to retrieve the situation!"

Frostbite wasn't sure what a 'Zulu Dawn' was but it didn't sound good...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Mar 18 2013, 07:39

Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

Sure enough, the incorrect protocol was pounced upon.

Frostbite wasn't sure what a 'Zulu Dawn' was but it didn't sound good...

No the thought of the intruder. But of greater concern to Frostbite was the talk of some sort of programme that threatened the whole island. He definitely didn't like the sound of that.

"Frostbot, was there anyway you could locate where that original transmission was coming from?"

It was a long shot, but if Frostbite could find that base, then perhaps he stood a better chance of leading away this strike force from innocent civilians and finding out more about who and what is behind his welcome committee.

OOC: Right see if we can't trace the signal, if we can we go asap top speed staying dispersed for now and see what we can find out. If we can't I might try and fly back to where I originally came in, and see if they have some sort of base came or set up by which I can 'hack into' their systems and find out more about that base.

Assuming there is no base to be found and no way to trace the signal, I'll stay with 11 following him and or his crew for now, trying to use the buildings and whatever cover I can to follow and not be seen hopefully. I will try to be above or below so that I minimise the chances of being spotted by people and giving the game away. And hopefully find a way back to some sort of command, whereby I can find a way to that base, mentioned.

If all else fails, then I may take the initiative and make an appearance at a far side of the island, unpopulated and then fly off to somewhere I do know. Wales or and Bletchley maybe.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 20 2013, 00:32

Frostbite
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

Frostbot considered for a moment. "Tracking" it stated inside his head.

OOC Roll 4,2 (6). Even computers have off days. Failure.

"The signal is scrambled on a modulating frequency. Without extensive continuous contact with the originator of the transmission there will be no way to track it, and even then, the chances are slam. They are using an advanced encryption algorithm that would appear as white noise unless one were to be looking for it, then decode it." stated the computer inside his head.

Frostbite considered his options then soared up and low over the buildings to stay hidden, dispersed and untouchable. He thought he caught a glimpse of someone who looked... different to the locals. Suspicious enough to stand out at any rate. Best not to linger and have they - whoever they were - close in on him. With advanced technology there was no telling what they might be capable of.

=========

The Island was small enough that he could cover most of it in minutes, at least on this side.

Looking about, all he saw out of the small villages were moors, hills, and more moors ( Smile ). However those people got here, Frostbite didn;t find it easy to find it...

OOC But gets a perception check anyway. Roll 6,4 (10) Failure.

If it was a vehicle of some kind, chances were it was covered in camouflage netting. That meant he would have to look closer to the ground to have any chance of seeing it, and scour every inch of the island, a feat that would take days.

He turned back towards the town...

=========

He watched from the crest of a rooftop as almost a dozen people conferred near a white van.

They didn't even bother trying to look casual. A number of locals glanced at them as the group pulled out maps, tablets and pointed to possible locations. They were definitely looking for him, and he suspected that their machines would be able to detect him as soon as he became tangible. The group were a couple of hundred yards away. He'd changed after going through the gate. Did he have enough range in him to zap the whole lot of them with a shot of ice cold power? Or would he wait, ride it out and follow them...?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:30

Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

Did he have enough range in him to zap the whole lot of them with a shot of ice cold power? Or would he wait, ride it out and follow them...?

He wasn't sure of the full extent of his powers and how they'd been changed. He still retained the memories of his former self, when he first woke up and found that though he was powerful, it was as nothing compared to what came later. Similarly now, he thought combat would be a poor time to work out if he was powerful enough to take these folks down. Perhaps he'd become too accustomed to working in a team, that the thought of taking them all on now daunted him. But for the time being, he thought that stealth might afford him an advantage he couldn't throw away too quickly. So it was time to wait it out, till they got tired of looking and went back to some sort of home base.

OOC: Truth be told I don't know how effective Frostbite would be in a fight against all these guys, I am still don't have a feel for how much power I've got relative to these opponents. So I am more hesitant, than Frostbite would be about messing up if these guys could overwhelm me.

So instead going to wait on them, seeking to follow them to we know where there base is. Then when perhaps they suspect it least I will attack and try and retrieve whatever information, codes, communications and orders I can. Get an idea of what is going on here before we leave. But I'd like to leave knowing that I'd put these folk on ice, for the time being so as to evade pursuit and capture.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Mar 25 2013, 14:53

Frostbite
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

Frostbite watched them converse for a few more minutes then several spread out to walk through the town once more.

They returned in a few minutes more and gave negative shakes of the head. The group piled into the van and it set off towards the edges of town.

=========

The island was pretty bleak and wild.

Wind and salt spray blasted the coastline whilst gusts pushed the gorse and heather this way and that. The poorly maintained roads scythed through the greens and browns as Frostbite followed from high up and behind the van as it seemingly drove nowhere, turning off on a dirt track and heading, as far as Frostbite could see, towards a cliff top.

'There is a vehicle parked on the clifftop' stated Frostbot.

"I don't see anything" muttered Frostbite, ignoring the biting wind and cold, which didn't affect him in the slightest. "you sure?"

'Affirmative. There is a multi spectral phase inducer which bends lightwaves around the vehicle and renders it, at least at a distance, invisible.'

Invisible planes? Who were these people?

The van parked up with the people getting out. The unconscious man was carried towards a blurred area of grass and sure enough, the 'field' dropped around the jet plane to reveal something that could presumably carry a number of passengers, take off from any terrain and travel at speed...

The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception" Stealth_jet

OOC Note. The jet plane is NOT made out of Lego, despite the image Smile

The soldiers took up a perimeter around the plane whilst another couple scurried around the van, placing objects underneath it. It had all been quite a lot for Frostbite to take in, and he was still getting used to the way the cars and this plane looked, as well as the way people dressed. They took technology for granted, and yet were they to use it in Frostbites own time they would be considered to be Aliens or people from the far future! Of course, he'd seen many things - P'utinarian technology for instance, that would still put this era to shame. Even so, it was amazing what had been achieved in 70 odd years...

The engines of the jet barked into life... The soldiers from the van were just about on board... it was going to take off shortly!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Mar 25 2013, 15:52

Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

Frostbite

The engines of the jet barked into life... The soldiers from the van were just about on board... it was going to take off shortly!

"I wonder if we can get closer to their ship, perhaps get you to find out if their files have more data for us on this time and more importantly who they are. Maybe they know something about the others as well..."

Frostbite said within himself so only Frostbot could respond.

"Lets try and get closer..."

With that Frostbite dived down, dispersed into the ground and following its rippling contours the way a dolphin would swim just beneath the surface in the sea. He aimed to come up right under the craft where he hoped he would be shielded from prying eyes and close enough for Frostbot to crack their onboard computer to find out more about these people and their, 'shoot first, ask questions later' approach.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Mar 29 2013, 15:46

Frostbite
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

"Scanning" stated Frostbot.

"Interesting. The technology is conventional but somewhat advanced for this time era. Where a dozen systems would take up space only one system runs those functions now and reroutes commands via high speed... that is strange. Scanning. Scanning. Sca... urk!"

Frostbite was given pause as he felt a sharp pain in his head! He looked up as the jet started to lift off vertically, near silent and with little in the way of drama!

Frostbot came back online. "There is a living mind connected directly into the circuitry of that vehicle. When I attempted to wrest control of the jet, purely a speculative move to allow greater access to its information systems I was kicked from the system. A computer would not be able to do such a thing, normally. This felt..." there was a pause as the computer searched for a term that could be understood easily by its human host "like a hive mind. A central core sending signals and pulses out at the speed of thought, and each vessels extensive sensory inputs providing vast information that can be accessed and processed by a mind of vast superhuman intelligence, or perhaps Alien in origin. I believe I was detected but my fail safes ejected me from the core computer before my consciousness could be trapped or examined. There is the tiniest possibility I may have been infected with a virus, but my neural systems show clear."

He watched the jet roar across the landscape and gather speed. He *might* be able to follow it, but to what? A trap? Who were those people? What was happening in Britain? Were they state sanctioned, and if not what were their intentions? Where were his team mates? Had they come through the portal and been separated as he had been?

'Justin St Johns' said another voice inside Joe Hoskyns head. It wasn't familiar to 1940s Joe but just the sound of it gave him pause, reassurance and the sure knowledge that whoever the man was, he was a friend. Had the 'other Joe' said that?

OOC Been digging out some of the back story from 2009 Smile I know we lost some of the posts thanks to the goon who ran the website we originally played on, but seeing as Joe and co are back in the time we started, may as well make use of those old names and places again Smile That said only you remain of the original trio (you, Kendal, Harry, I think David came a few months later in 2010) so much of it won't make sense to the other players.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Mar 29 2013, 16:25

Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

'Justin St Johns' said another voice inside Joe Hoskyns head. It wasn't familiar to 1940s Joe but just the sound of it gave him pause, reassurance and the sure knowledge that whoever the man was, he was a friend. Had the 'other Joe' said that?

OOC Been digging out some of the back story from 2009 Smile I know we lost some of the posts thanks to the goon who ran the website we originally played on, but seeing as Joe and co are back in the time we started, may as well make use of those old names and places again Smile That said only you remain of the original trio (you, Kendal, Harry, I think David came a few months later in 2010) so much of it won't make sense to the other players.

OOC: Those were interesting days. Harry was someone who seemed to be all over the game and then suddenly gone again. Yes I think Dave came in just as Harry departed, if I remember correctly when we were in overridden Nazi 21st Century Britain! Putty had found us as Harry's character went out in a blaze of glory.

Anyway Justin and Caer Alwyn seem to be a good place to gather friendly intel. Since Lionheart knew of the place at the end of the last campaign in the 1940's and its mystical nature, it makes sense for him to go there. But Frostbite had also been there, send for the first time into Albion, so again it makes sense to see that as a possible friendly spot - given that everything else might well have completely changed.

Frostbite chewed his bottom lip, the thought that an intelligence, could in some way 'infect' Frostbot was cause for concern. And even if Frostbot's distinct nature had been detected, then further probes be him might not go undetected or without considerable threat. Whoever these people were, taking them on might not be the best or wisest course of action.

"Perhaps it was time to leave. "

Frostbite said to himself. Dispersed as he was, Frostbite was unlikely to be detected, or at least he hoped so. Once the ship was in mid flight he simply let go, watching it fly on, before heading down to Wales and what he hoped might be the last friendly home in Britain, right now.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Apr 02 2013, 01:06

Frostbite
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

Frostbite watched the jet disappear and turned south.

A route to Wales would take him over the Irish Sea and Frostbot calculated an 'as the crow flies' distance at just under 400 miles... With a sigh he took to the air. At his 'drifting through the air' speed it would take... He saw the ground speed past underneath and recalculated. Though some way short of the speed of sound at his maximum speed he figured it would take around two hours to cover the distance and with Frostbot unerringly guiding him thanks to latching onto what he termed as 'GPS devices' which were scattered all over the place in cars and other vehicles, he was reasonably confident about not getting lost.

=========

It was dark when he reached the outskirts of Caer Alwyn.

Frostbite didn't really get tired, but he was reasonably hungry by now. Army food was nothing to write home about but even that would be like a gourmet meal at this moment in time! He saw the warm inviting glow of 'The Kings Dozen' Inn beckoned.

The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception" Caeralwyn_15_percent

OOC Pretty sure Harry wouldn't mind me using the old maps and characters from the game - keeps the memories alive Smile For anyone else reading The Lore Knights was a spin off game from 'The Executive' game with most of the same players and different characters. The game started around 10 years ago and wound up in 2009, so it had a decent run. About a year after that the Vanguard/Darkening Shadows game started up.

Lights glowed from the windows of cottages. For all intents and purposes the place was idyllic and at peace with the world. Lionheart recalled the last time he'd been in Wales only what seemed like hours before, being chased by a demonic being with the power of a demi god! He shuddered and looked around. Aside from the imposing old celtic burial mound the Manor House was an option, the Pub or the ruins of the old castle, unless he fancied knocking on doors. He was dressed in civilian clothing and would blend in aside from his American accent.

OOC Options: Pub, Manor House, Castle, Someones house, Something else Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Apr 02 2013, 12:48

Frostbite settled down on the old mound. Although he'd seen the place from up high, he had to descend quickly so as not to draw attention to himself from any light night passersby. Besides he still wasn't sure of pretty much anything since coming back into this time. A wave of fear threatened to overwhelm him. He was a man out of time, he know knew, how his companion, the original Frostbite must have felt at sharing his identity when he came back in time.

As he felt the cool grass under foot and tasted the crisp night air, he looked about at the sedate village beneath him. He could go to the pub for information. Although he knew a little of what Justin St John's the Lord Knights and their legacy, in this world it could all be so different. Dare he blunder in, whilst he had the opportunity to find out information, information that might save him making a bigger blunder later on?

"The Pub it is, then!" He said to no one in particular. As he walked down the mound, over the road and saw the friendly inviting light of the King's Dozen Inn. At the window he stole a look inside, trying to size the place up, before opening the latch to the door. Before realising he was still dispersed. He hoped dropping it, wouldn't suddenly light this place up with unwanted attention, that they and he could do without.

Pulling on the door, Frostbite stepped into the bright lights and excited bubble of chatter and strode purposefully over to the bar.

OOC: Ok I realise I probably have no money, if I did it might only be old money. Shilling won't buy much these das. So I think I will just try to quiz the Bar staff for information. Tourist, new in town, just passing through. Old university friend told me about the place, some relative of Earl St John etc, but don't want to go pounding on a strangers door, so can you tell me any more in case my friend was pulling my leg all along etc...

I will be on my guard, after all, I've no idea who or what might happen in a far away place like this. Will the whole village and the UK population be on the look out for people like us, with detectors set to go off at the threshold of the door, or will it go quiet, because we don't get many of you folk around here, type of thing.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Apr 05 2013, 19:50

Frostbite
Body
Mind
Spirit
Hero Points

Joe tried to put on a cheerful air as he sauntered down the hill towards the pub

Unnoticed, behind him, one of the standing stones 'awoke' and a pair of mournful eyes gazed at the newcomer before they closed, leaving no trace of having ever watched the man...

Before he entered the pub, Joe looked at the strange star shaped symbol on the wall of the pub. A circle inside a star. The painting was fairly poor. It looked to have dribbled some, and the brown contrasted sharply against the otherwise pristine white. With a shrug he entered the pub and looked about.

It seemed fairly busy, though the place went quiet when he closed the door behind him. With a nervous smile he moved over to the bar and noticed the people sat at tables were all rustic farmer types in rough clothes and nervous glances at the newcomer.

OOC Perception Check 7,1 (8) Pass (just)

With a quick glance about he turned to the barman, a balding, bullish fellow with a barrel chest and reddened knuckles. Perhaps recently he'd had to 'lay down the law' in his pub. Before he spoke, Joe turned. A man in the corner sat some distance from anyone else. He was heavily bearded, and his hair was a matted mess under a wool hat. His clothes looked dirty - a grey hoodie with stains, holed jeans and not from any fashion statement. A worn rucksack sat by the table and a mangy looking dog - a bulldog from the looks - curled up around his feet. It looked up, across the pub at Joe before settling its head down, though it never stopped watching him. The bearded fellow never looked up from his drink, but even from here Joe could see his cheeks were bruised. It didn't take a genius to put the barmans knuckles together with the fellows face.

"What'll it be?" asked the Barman, slightly annoyed sounding. His eyes appraised Joe. "We'll be 'avin no more vagrants 'ere either. Pay or go. Bad enough we got one we can't get shut of on account o bein the Earls mate of old..."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next