The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #6 Deal with the devil...

3 posters

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #6 Deal with the devil... - Page 7 Empty Re: World War II - The Vanguard Issue #6 Deal with the devil...

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Feb 25 2012, 09:37

Admin wrote:Guillotine, ever the strategist, leant back against a console. "Send them Lionheart. Or rather, a convincing copy that can overcome anything they have planned." and she looked at Anyman. "You do Francis Drake well. What about Agent King, PSI Corps Mk II operative from the future? Lionheart can help us take out this carrier. He has the most raw power of anyone here, until Anyman pulls his party trick and upsets the Nazis again."

Lionheart looked shocked at this suggestion then wondered why he hadn't thought of it before. Somewhat chagrined he said, "Your right, these recent events and the changes in my own powers mean the Bentham can't know what changes I have undergone. Whatever telemetry he got aboard the last ship would have been limited. But anything I can do Anyman can do better! You could fool them but when it comes to sorting out DNA, then they'd have nothing. But don't be fooled, Bentham will suspect foul play, whether they know about your shape changing ability or not is another thing. The rumours about you are so wild and speculative."

Lionheart was quiet, allowing Anyman to decide what he did next, in any case they needed help. Whilst the others were still away, this might by the country and the world time, just as we need it most.

OOC:
Ok I am good to go on this, assuming Dave is. The rest of us can take on the ship - gulp. And whilst we do that Dave can scoot over to Bentham, hopefully fool him as best he can and then use their equipment to get these Robots out of here! If only it were that simple!

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #6 Deal with the devil... - Page 7 Empty Re: World War II - The Vanguard Issue #6 Deal with the devil...

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Feb 25 2012, 22:37

Anyman doesn't say a word, just walks around Lionheart a bit and then once behind him, changes into him and raises a sardonic eyebrow at his "copy."

"Going to need details of these men," he says. "Maybe a quick telepathic probe of your memories would do the trick in the time we have?"

He waits to see what that answer will be.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Feb 25 2012, 23:08

DavidMcMahon wrote:Anyman doesn't say a word, just walks around Lionheart a bit and then once behind him, changes into him and raises a sardonic eyebrow at his "copy."

"Going to need details of these men," he says. "Maybe a quick telepathic probe of your memories would do the trick in the time we have?"

He waits to see what that answer will be.

"Nice.." Lionheart said with a smile, "Lets see..." As Lionheart reached out, with this mind to offer Anyman access to his memories, thoughts and knowledge of Bentham and Trowers.

OOC:
Go for it, either I'll offer it all up or Anyman can probe me for it, in anycase I'm happy to have the info because therein he can do a darn sight better job with it than me.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Feb 25 2012, 23:33

Flash!

Anyman started slightly at Lionhearts hands on either side of his head with the PSI Corps Agent sending a 'copy' of his memories into his head.

"Earth 2193 AD. Society is a sprawling mass that has filled the Earth and seeped out into space. Now more than ever, a new breed of crime fighter is needed. A policeman who can sense criminal intent and stop crime before it happens.

The PSI Corp were introduced to complement the police. They were genetically engineered with superior mental abilities and biochemically altered to possess astounding speed and reflexes. The 1st generation PSI corp started well enough - they were like emotionless robots, grown from vats and trained, guided, for one purpose - to uphold the law and mete out justice.

It all went wrong. Having been isolated from society in early life they soon saw normal citizens as law breakers, and either punished them with their guns or mind wiped them. The public outcry was enormous. The army was sent in to remove the PSI corps and in the major cities of the world, the PSI corp made their last stands. The death toll was incredible, with each PSI corp mindwiping hundreds of hapless soldiers until saturation bombing destroyed them and the buildings they were in.

The cull was not entirely successful. Rogue 1st gen PSI corp officers escaped into the streets, and rebelled against their former masters, and the people they were meant to protect.

The city elders, in desperation, called for drastic action. New PSI corp officers, second generation and more adjusted to normal life, with accelerated growth applied every few months and, in between, training in law enforcement with the fledgling officers living with normal foster families. It was kept secret lest public outcry cause a backlash. These new PSI corp were sent out to hunt and destroy the 1st Gen Psi corp, then blend into society and secretly uphold the law and deal out justice.

It was working. One by one the superior 2nd Gen officers brought down the 1st Gen rogues, until only a few remained. Then - catastrophe. A rogue 1st Gen officer codenamed 'Saladin' used a prototype Time machine to escape. The chase was on, and fledgling PSI corp officer Richard King was given a mission. Follow the rogue and bring him to justice, then blend into society in secret and live out his days as a secret help to the people of that time. The operation was codenamed 'Crusade' and Kings' codename, 'Lionheart'. He was sent with 3 normal special forces operatives through the time machine...

Disaster. The time machine had been booby trapped. The special ops guys arrived in the new time with their brains completely wiped. They were totally brain dead. 'Lionheart' staggered away, his superior mind having saved him.

Back in 2193, the Time machine exploded, rupturing a power main and completely destroying half of the city and the people that lived, worked and breathed there.

In the split second the Time Machine had operated, Richard King felt the mental 'scream' of millions of people, and wept for them.

Finally, he got to his feet and looked about. He had been given some rudimentary equipment for uploading information into his neural net, but his biggest asset was his mind. He would blend in, conceal his identity and become a 'normal citizen' but when evil raised it's head, he would don a mask and become 'Lionheart', the Crusader from the future.
Somewhere out there, his nemesis 'Saladin' was plotting evil. and he would have to stop him. Or die trying."

Images, memories... of being 'born' in a vat, placed with surrogate parents then taken away from them. Trained from age 5 to serve, protect and administer justice. Time and again he was punished for being flippant, lazy, disrespectful... as a PSI Corps agent he was average at best, and there were far better examples than he. So why get chosen for a mission like this, to track down a fugitive? Now he knew. Because of the one in a billion chance that something went wrong, and made him different from his cloned brothers and sisters, and that his DNA matched Saladins in a way that the two complemented one another.

There was also something else, hidden deep. Some faded memory, of a time, place and team that never was. The 'Executive'... wiped from history now by the changes Trowers and Bentham had made! Steeplejack, Ben Nevis, Iron Lady, British Bulldog, Wandafar and others... lost in time, like tears in rain...

More. Of a flowering love with Peeler Agent 33, Ellizabeth Carter, only to see her slain by hybrid Animal/man experiments and a madman from the future. A hope that she was still alive, in that strange place where a bubble kept the freezing South Pole at bay and gave home to dinosaurs, hybrid creatures formed into warring factions, and a crashed spaceship, with a sentient computer at its heart.

Saladin, finally stopped, then made peace with, once the true Wolf in shadow was revealed! He had survived and was even now growing to adulthood in the birthing vat of a V-Ship. What would the future hold for him? Would there be a future?

Lionhearts pride at serving with the Vanguard, and determination to stop Bentham and Trowers. A small group of people had wiped out history as he knew it, and they would pay for it! Trowers was the head of the PSI Corps program, Bentham the Brains. There were elements missing though, pieces of the puzzle yet to be explained, figures standing in shadow, needing the light of justice to be shone on them!

Anyman blinked.

He looked at himself, He WAS Richard Ki... Anyman... Hold to it! Lance Allard chuckled. He'd taken the submersion into a role far beyond even the most accomplished actors dreams!

OOC Anything else, or contact Trowers and arrange the trade, then depart with the V-Ship to tackle this incoming RoboCarrier? Consider Anyman to be 'submerged' in the role of Lionheart. It would take some very searching questions to even get a hint something wasn't right with his performance.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Feb 26 2012, 01:11

ooc: Here's a thought. How about SteepleJack taking over Anyman for a bit, while he is Lionheart? Since Lance Allard is now deep into the role of his life - Lionheart, why not have him run Anyman until it is time to break the role and become Anyman again?
I would kind of like to see how someone would run Anyman when Anyman isn't being Anyman. [I think I just hurt my brain with that thought]
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Feb 26 2012, 08:30

DavidMcMahon wrote:ooc: Here's a thought. How about SteepleJack taking over Anyman for a bit, while he is Lionheart? Since Lance Allard is now deep into the role of his life - Lionheart, why not have him run Anyman until it is time to break the role and become Anyman again?
I would kind of like to see how someone would run Anyman when Anyman isn't being Anyman. [I think I just hurt my brain with that thought]

OOC:
Hmm that sounds fine, except what would you do? You could control the real Lionheart??? As well as the other NPC's we have onboard I suppose. I'm open to it, but don't want Dave to become a passenger!

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Feb 26 2012, 12:51

I think you would only be controlling him for a week, plus or minus, so I can sit back and watch. The cable guy just came in and put in a new modem, splitter and changed some old wiring so hopefully my computer works fine now.

I have the 30s adventure to keep me busy while you play Anyman as he thinks Lionheart should be played. That ought to be fun, you trying to play Lance as you think Lance perceives Lionheart. Shocked

I can pop in with Putty making a snide comment or two if I feel the need to step in. After all, I think I'm the only one who has continual three-way conversations with myselves. cheers
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Feb 26 2012, 12:55

DavidMcMahon wrote:I think you would only be controlling him for a week, plus or minus, so I can sit back and watch. The cable guy just came in and put in a new modem, splitter and changed some old wiring so hopefully my computer works fine now.

I have the 30s adventure to keep me busy while you play Anyman as he thinks Lionheart should be played. That ought to be fun, you trying to play Lance as you think Lance perceives Lionheart. Shocked

I can pop in with Putty making a snide comment or two if I feel the need to step in. After all, I think I'm the only one who has continual three-way conversations with myselves. cheers

OOC:Ok you got it.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 26 2012, 23:55

OOC sounds... intriguing. Dave M you still have Bulletman. He's been a bit of a loose end at the moment because in the presence of Anyman and Lionheart, he pales in comparison, as does NoMan. They'll get their chances though.

Guillotine nodded and turned to Spartan, who sighed. "All right. Opening a channel. This is the Vanguard calling Damon Trowers. If you stick to your side of the bargain, helping to restore the natural way of things, we will hand Lionheart over to you. It's his choice, and nothing we say will dissuade him. Sending coordinates now. I assume you will have some means of avoiding radar and the RAF, so I won't bother calling them off." Spartan finished up, cut the line, then turned to Anyman/Lionheart. "I think this is a mistake, for the record. You are, along with General Wynn, Frostbite, Silver Sentinel and Lionheart* the most powerful beings on the Planet. Delivering you into our enemies hands seems downright bloody stupid if you ask me!"

NoMan added "Ah yes, I concur. I believe the analogy would go something like 'walking directly without changing direction into the snarkvards lair' though I am not sure if snarkvards are native to this solar system. Suffice to say, they eat anything, and don't stop to wonder if it is edible."

Spartan turned to the Peeler Crew. "Bring us about. Landing, touchdown for Commander Allard then up at straight for Birmingham, intercept speed. Stand by shields." he flicked a switch on a console. "Red Alert. Stand by Ion control. Fire control report systems. All hands, prepare for battle, this is not a drill." went out over the ship, and the lighting dimmed, turning red. He turned to shake Allard/Lionhearts hand, then oversaw the ship landing in a field. "Send the coordinates to Trowers. Good luck sir." he offered. Guillotine simply hugged Allard/Lionheart, whilst the others shook hands. Gravity Girl (Major Steed) rose from the Captains chair where she'd stayed silent, draped her arms around Allard/Lionheart and gave him a long lingering kiss. Then she whispered "You're an idiot. I swear you're trying to get yourself killed. Come back to me." and turned away to check over a panel, removing something - probably dust - from her eye.

Allard/Lionheart nodded to the team, then strode through the ship to the landing bay, waiting for the large doors to open and drop out, preparing to play the biggest, most challenging role in his life! Standing on terra firma, he looked up and watched them go, soaring up into the clouds...

OOC We'll switch Allard/Lionheart into another thread in this existing thread rather than make a new one. Watch for the first post tomorrow.

The V-Ship blasted through the clouds and Spartan put a schematic of the area up on screen. "The robo carrier matches previous designation details. No reports on it launching attacks yet. The RAF have been trailing it as best they can, but it's too fast and shoots them out of the air if they stray too close." He turned to Lionheart. "I've no idea how fast you fly, or what the plan is, but I guess you'll be bailing out shortly. What's the plan?"

Guillotine looked over, shrugged. "Let's see what the Wing Commander has for us first. I think Frostbot has a vital role to play but his robotic form is probably not built to take on more than one or two of those future bots, and there were thousands of them by all accounts on the other ship?" She turned to Lionheart. "This is your show WC. How to proceed?"

OOC *Most don't know about Sky Eagle having the Dark Power as they haven't met him yet
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Feb 27 2012, 00:16

ooc: Does Bulletman have a working helmet or was it destroyed? And you are right, we've never met Sky Eagle.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Feb 27 2012, 07:32

Admin wrote: All hands, prepare for battle, this is not a drill." went out over the ship, and the lighting dimmed, turning red. He turned to shake Allard/Lionhearts hand, then oversaw the ship landing in a field. "Send the coordinates to Trowers. Good luck sir." he offered.

Lionheart strode over to Anyman/Lionheart he took his companions hand and shook it firmly, all that needed to be said, was said with but a single look. Anyman, knew more about Lionheart than anyone alive, and both men understood the enormous risks that were begin taken. Finally the real Lionheart whispered, "We got to make this count!"

But Anyman, wasn't sure if Lionheart referred to himself or to Anyman's mission.

Admin wrote:He turned to Lionheart. "I've no idea how fast you fly, or what the plan is, but I guess you'll be bailing out shortly. What's the plan?"

Turning to Frostbot, Lionheart said, "You my friend are our ace in the hole. I am hoping that by flying you within reach of the ship, we can get your digitised conscience into the mainframe where you can shut down the ship from within. Or cause the structural integrity field to be shut off so the thing collapses. But stopping the ship is no good, if it still gets to release its cargo.

Looking around, Lionheart paused so the others could take on the idea of getting Frostbot to within range for him to be uploaded to the ship, so they could offer their own suggestions.

OOC:
Plan - huh, what plan? Haven't you noticed how I fly by the seat of my pants most of the time.

Anyway so flying Frostbot in real fast to upload him is my plan, as to what and how to the others want to play into that - or indeed if there is a better suggestion then step up and speak up. Otherwise lets put this into action, when we're within striking range.

As an aside, I am kind hoping that whatever we do, is only a contingency as the real event I am hoping is Bentham sending these things back from whence they came!

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 28 2012, 01:48

OOC 12 hour shift has me run ragged, so not much in the way of update, sorry. More later on (when I get up) but have an estate agent coming to value the house so will doubtless be cleaning and stuff first...

Anyman/Lionheart didn't have to wait long. As he looked about in the skies above Southern England, he saw a Skrall ship, identical to their own vessels, drop from the clouds and slow to hover over the field in which Anyman stood. The landing bay hatch opened, and a dozen figures, clad all in black with gas masks and ray guns/jet packs stood waiting, pointing weapons at Anyman.

Then a shimmering image popped into view, apparently standing on the landing bay door that had opened/lower. It was of Damon Trowers, Lionhearts memories told Anyman. The man who had instigated the PSI Corps program, had ultimately been responsible for the destruction of New London when Saladin had been sent into the past with Lionheart following him, thinking he was the villain, when really it had been Trowers plan all along to usurp the ruling World Council and mould the future to his own liking. A spanner had been thrown in the works though.

That spanner was the Vanguard, and the power they wielded!

If not for the Vanguard, the Nazis would have won world war II, Bentham wouldn't have opened the time portal to unleash a horde of murderous robots on the Earth, and the Devourer would not have noticed the insignificant planet on the edge of populated space, instead, heading towards richer pickings. Allards unease with himself and his role grew some, but it was quelled when he remembered all the lives they'd saved, and would save.

"Step aboard Agent King." said the holographic image of Trowers. "Don't try anything. Remember the deal! If you want the status Quo to be restored, all you have to do is return with us to the future. Your friends will be returned to their correct timeline."

'And what would that be?' muttered Putty, the alien P'utinarian whom Anyman shared his mind with? The Alien had been born on Earth to parents exiled from the Nazi regime and in hiding. It had lost both parents thanks to the SS, and discovered its superhuman powers after a week long coma. When the Vanguard had gone through time, Putty had become secondary, but was still there at the moment. Setting time straight would mean he reappeared in a future that never happened, and would cease to exist!

Fighting back more unease, Anyman leapt - a combination of stretching and superhuman strength, but the angle of the enemy and Anymans acting ability made it look like he'd flown the short distance, 20' or so, onto the landing bay door!

The guards moved around him, patting him down uneasily.

"More PSI Agent clones. Not a patch on you, but then, what is? First things first." said the Hologram. "Down to the lab..."

The look on Trowers face - of triumph - suggested he was near to completing his goal!

OOC Cooperate or kick up a stink?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 28 2012, 01:49

DavidMcMahon wrote:ooc: Does Bulletman have a working helmet or was it destroyed? And you are right, we've never met Sky Eagle.

OOC He still has all his equipment. Bit dented, but serviceable.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 28 2012, 01:56

Frostbot spoke to Lionheart with regards the 'plan' "In order that the mainframe of the enemy craft be infiltrated, I must be delivered, mostly intact, to the central core processing unit. Usually that would be deep in the heart of the vessel, protected by metres of shielding and armour. Then you must buy me time against the - doubtless - hordes of enemy attackers."

"We can do that" said Gravity Girl. "NoMan, Bulletman, with me to run interference. Lionheart, you're the most powerful. Think you can take out enough guns that the V-Ship can get in close to attack and drop us all off? If that things guns are operative, only you are fast enough to evade them. The rest of us will be nailed long before we get on board."

Spartan offered "Another plan - we can put you inside torpedoes, and take out the explosive innards. As far as I can tell, they are meant for destroying asteroids and mining. Very tough, but the explosives might not be too useful against that thing and its energy shielding. The scans we're getting are incredible. It's a wonder you downed the first one at all, until I remember who you and Anyman are, and what you can do."

Guillotine nodded. "These things are meant to defeat armies, not single humans with the power of armies. They might not underestimate us again though. I advise caution."

Spartan shouted "Advise it later! Coming into range!"

The enemy carrier got bigger and bigger on the screen, and the sky was filled with tracer fire as the V-Ship flew in!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Feb 28 2012, 02:32

"More PSI Agent clones. Not a patch on you, but then, what is? First things first." said the Hologram. "Down to the lab..."

The look on Trowers face - of triumph - suggested he was near to completing his goal!

"With our powers," Putty said inside Lance's head, "we should have duplicated Lionheart's DNA, and yes I know you don't know what that is, so that a test wouldn't tell us apart. Then you can go all Sir Francis Drake since you like him so much and capture this ship for our fleet."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Feb 28 2012, 07:36

Admin wrote:The enemy carrier got bigger and bigger on the screen, and the sky was filled with tracer fire as the V-Ship flew in!

Turning to Frostbite, Lionheart said, "Get ready, once I've disabled the guns, we'll blast in, we can use a torpedo with my force field to try and punch in as deep as possible to the ship. Whilst I do that, you let loose with all you can to destabilise that field."

With that he raced down to nearest hatch.

OOC:
Ok so I take Flight, Force field to the highest I can go, then when I am on the ship, drop flight for strength and keep force field along with Speed, to maximise my ability to get about.

Whence on the ground I will rip apart the towers, and use the parts to throw at opposition and other parts of the ship. I am hoping to tear out huge chunks and throw it about to maximise confusion, problems and destablise the ship.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Feb 28 2012, 07:43

Admin wrote:The look on Trowers face - of triumph - suggested he was near to completing his goal!

OOC Cooperate or kick up a stink?

"Wait just one minute Trowers, we had a deal and so far all I see is me making good and you looking very smug. I am not going a step further without you taking care of your side of the bargain."

The smug look on Trowers face, and the growing sense of unease didn't help Anyman/Lionheart feel overly confident. He was aware that if Trowers attempted to kill or subdue him, then he might well feel he has no need to do anything. The so called deal, might be a double cross. How could he get the upper hand. Not co-operating only went so far and he had to be sure that Trowers and Bentham, whom he knew from Lionheart were as sneaky, well as himself when it came to deception.

OOC:
Ok I am not co-opperating until I know that Trowers and Bentham can show their side in good faith. I can also make it clear that I Lionheart, will do all they ask. Except of course I am not Lionheart.

I don't want them pulling a fast one on me, nor using sophisticated holograms or clever deception to make it seem as if they are doing what they say they will.

Moreover, if they suggest that only by leaping out of time, themselves, will things be set straight - I need harder facts than a leap of faith. After all such a leap will put us out of the bounds of any problems with no guarantee that we've done anything, also and more importantly Putty/Anyman will cease to exist. So big problems all round.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Feb 29 2012, 02:03

Lionheart confirmed the plan with Frostbot, and the robot clomped off to find a missile to cling onto. With but a thought and a wire running from its finger, the Robot had reconfigured the missile to fire when it wanted. In theory all it needed to do was point towards the enemy vessel. The V-Ship shook time and again as shields were tested by high energy flak fire!

"Shields at 84%. Holding for now." said Spartan. "77%." he added, over the ship tannoy.

OOC So, Force Field at Grade 4 (10 points) and Flight at Grade 2 (3 points) leaves Lionheart two points. Grade 1 Strength is 1 point and leaves a point spare? Speed grade 1?

The landing bay doors opened and the thunderous explosions of the vast Robo Carriers guns rang out! Some were extremely close tot he V-Ship, going off with blinding flashes and thunderous bangs, shaking the vessel! Without standing on ceremony, Lionheart ran and leapt from the hatch, dropping into the air and streaking like a dart towards his target. With rather less grace, the Frostbot fell from the landing bay, got its bearings, and ignited the missile at such an angle that it followed Lionheart in towards the enemy vessel.

OOC Do you intend to punch through the side? Remember how tough this thing is, and who it was that overwhelmed it last time (Anyman, with his stronger than Superman strength. No wonder the job was so 'easy')

Meanwhile Gravity Girl strapped on a jet pack and a couple of Ray guns from the Skrall supplies. Slipping goggles over her eyes and a thick leather flying jacket with woollen collar, she turned to NoMan and Bulletman. "You fellows ready?" she asked. She pressed a button on the wall and leaned in "Open landing bay two, and bring us above that thing. Shields to full on the belly, drop us, then get out of here. How are the shields?"

The ship rocked again, as if flying through turbulence. "12%." stated Spartan. "Guillotine is making running repairs and modifications. She thinks she can get them to hold for a bit... oh. 8%. Opening bay."

The bay opened, and Gravity Girl nodded to the other two. NoMan clung to Bulletman as he dropped from the small 2m square hatch into the air, and was immediately buffeted by flak! The sky was thick with smoke and tracer fire, tracking and criss crossing in the path of the V-Ship. Time and again it was hit, titled and bounced, then it peeled away, smoke pouring from a dozen bent panels! The trio sped down at top speed towards the deck of the carrier. Unlike the first, there were no fighter planes...

As the group reversed thrust to land on their feet on the deck half a dozen small 2m square hatches and robots rose up!

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #6 Deal with the devil... - Page 7 Clone_wars_8

OOC Bulletman, NoMan and Gravity Girl face 6 robot guards with crackling electrical staffs. The robots are 3m away and almost within swinging distance. Initiative 3, Heroes, 5 bad guys. They move into melee range (1 fr), Heroes 4 frames. David M, you running Bulletman and co?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Feb 29 2012, 03:41

ooc: Forgotten Gravity Girl's complete besides gravity powerset so you run her.

"Here I go," Bulletman said, activating his flight power and smashing into the nearest robot.

ooc: Can NoMan absorb the abilites of a robot? Have we even tried to see if it is possible?

NoMan follows up, intending to grab a robot and see if he can absorb its abilites and armor. [ooc: if he knows the answer already is no, then change that to hitting one.]
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Feb 29 2012, 07:14

Admin wrote:Lionheart
OOC Do you intend to punch through the side? Remember how tough this thing is, and who it was that overwhelmed it last time (Anyman, with his stronger than Superman strength. No wonder the job was so 'easy')[/i][/color]

OOC:
re reading my post I think I've confused things as I don't think that was what I had said! I wanted Frostbot and me to fire in with a torpedo enhanced by my force field when I had taken out the guns, so the ship can get closer.

For now lets leave it that Frostbot is ready to go, when he fires off I can rejoin him and still blast in with my force field active, so we can get him in as deep as possible. If I leave things as is, we'll have to fight through layers of robots whilst I am trying to take out the guns on the ship.

So for now let me just take out the guns and have Frostbot ready.

As regards to configuration ok - want to reconfigure my powers as I fly in- so its 10 points strength, 1 point flight, 1 point force field and 3 points speed that can take effect on the ship once I've landed on the nearest gun.

Lionheart took stock of what was going on, he sought to stay close to Frostbot, so he could try and see him into land safely. Ahead he saw the first target and made a straight line for the first gun port, "Now for some action." He said a grin spreading over his face, despite the danger.

OOC:
ok so land and start to rip apart the first gun, if I come across the robots then I will try and dodge and grab them to throw at the gun or other robots.

Ok just in case I miss it - I haven't been getting emails on Jade and Stone Fist so didn't realise the thread had continued DOH!. Anyway if you carry on with the Anyman thread elsewhere let me know, in case I miss it. As I am hoping that that will have a bearing on this - otherwise I can't see how we can deal with this, give these robots are invading the whole earth!

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 01 2012, 18:35

Trowers face straightened. "Of course." he said to Anyman/Lionheart. "We must be businesslike. Understand this, Agent King. The world you left was on the verge of Chaos. The breakdown of society was hidden from public - and your - knowledge as it was felt that would tip civilisation over the brink, and into war again. There were so many factions, organisations, controlling interests in the World Parliament, and the façade that they were all united was a lie. The world was on the brink of annihalation. The PSI Corps were instigated to keep the peace and root out the causes of instability, but instead became part of the problem. We hatched a grand plan - to create the ultimate incarnation of human life. You, and Saladin, are it. Your evolved DNA holds the secret to a new era of hope and unity in the future. You cannot, however, make an omelette without breaking a few eggs, as they say, and the Nazi victory in World War II was required so that the seeds of our future utopia be sewn in the past, not to mention the future itself, which balanced on oblivion, had to be sacrificed for the greater good. Mankind will rise again, through wars, strife, destruction, with the seeds of godhood sewn in the here and now, to bring the perfect tomorrow."

"Your DNA will provide those seeds. Unfortunately, the rest of our plan needs to be changed now. We will work around it, thanks to our own miscalculation about the robot armies and the impending threat to Earth, which it seems, is all too real." he said with an uneasy smile.

'Interesting.' said the Dark Power inside Anymans head 'This mortal destroyed his own world in order to change history and create a race of superhuman gods that would rule over all in the future. It is, perhaps, a blessing that he knows not of the power which you and the other Vanguardians wield. Your friend, Lionheart, was to be the template for an unbeatable superhuman army. Sheer numbers would bend the Worlds will to their bidding. There would be no suffering, strife or evil. It sounds like an awful place to live. Is the man good, or evil? Your kind will never cease to amaze me.'

"If I am pleased, know that it is only because we crossed the boundaries of time and space, and the plan which we drew up, which required you follow us into the past, somehow, has come to fruition. You have no idea of the probabilities and threads of possible outcomes we followed in order that this moment be reached. Indeed, when your friend Anyman and his fellow Vanguard appeared, from nowhere seemingly, to support you we were flabbergasted! Nowhere in our calculations had we seen such an event! He, and others like him, the so called 'Frostbite' and the geriatric 'General Wynn' we know so much about, all sprung up around the same time you entered this time frame. The chances of our goal being achieved were infinitesimally small, akin to throwing a dart from the earth and hitting a dartboard on Saturn. We scored a bullseye, then other events changed things, until we are led here, with the Earth soon to fall to the Robot army unless we stop it. Tell me, before we proceed, and set events in motion that will restore the timelines to their previous course, who are these Vanguard, and whence did they spring up? Where did their powers come from? How is it they are invisible to the army of psychics the Nazis gathered, and how on Earth have they managed, beyond all probability to fend off the Nazis thus far?"

"After all, we gave them future technology, superhumans, alien allies, robots, undead, animal/men hybrids, doomsday machines... We gave them every possible means to win the war in Europe decisively and quickly, in a matter of days! Once London and the ruling government was gone, the rest of Britain would fall. Everything pointed to success. We tried to cover every eventuality, but we could not counter the one thing that thwarted the Nazi war effort - the Vanguard. Remarkable. And annoying. Tell me of them, I must know!"

'This man, this mortal, and his friends, use science and their brilliant minds to come up with schemes that snuff lives out by the million in order to shape their perfect vision of the future. I wonder, then, what they would make of the Shadow Demons? With the robotic invasion of planet Earth, and imminent annihilation by the Devourer, there will never be a better time for the Shadows to feed, and to act. After their offer of a truce was turned down, they will feel slighted, insulted, aggrieved. And vengeful.'

'I advise caution'
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 01 2012, 19:03

Bulletman pressed a stud on his belt and rocketed towards the nearest robot!

OOC eesh, roll of 10. That's a hit (just) with just 1 accuracy.

Bulletman PINGED off a robot and smashed into the deck, sending a ripple of energy across the ship which was absorbed and compensated for by the vast vessel! He stood, righting himself and the helmet on his head before considering his next move. Meanwhile, NoMan reached towards a robot to touch it, wondering if he could - somehow - take on the things properties. He could copy the living DNA of any being he touched, albeit with limits, so why not the simpler workings of a robot?

OOC Roll of 7, he misses. Tries again. Roll of 36! (Doubles galore!) This time DEFINITELY hits!

With a frown on his otherwise near featureless face, the alien thrusts a hand out, misses a robot, then launches a tendril from a hand with more determination...

His tendril flies down the mouth (a cooling vent) of a robot and deep into its inner workings! The things jerks spasmodically, and freezes in place! NoMan probes around with his tendril, wondering what to mimic, when suddenly there is a shock down his arm! He cries out, and is thrown back onto the deck! Rubbing his head, he hears Gravity Girl call out "NoMan! Are you alright? What... what happened to you?"

NoMan looks and finds his skin is metallic! He is a carbon copy (if such a thing were possible!) of the robot he just touched! More than that, he knows everything about the robots inner workings, its strengths, its capabilities, it's weaknesses...

Gravity Girl takes aim at a robot as she considers the groups next move - they were outnumbered and probably outgunned! More, the two other supers she was with were rank amateurs! "Where are you when I need you Lance?" she muttered, wondering if there was some way she could take the robots down with her. All around, explosions filled the air as hundreds of guns sang out, their roar like a hoard of bellowing lions triumphant at having brought down a troublesome prey! The V-Ship was in a bad way, smoke trailing from a number of damaged points, and it was only a matter of time before a stray shot caught them in the engines, or worse, the bridge!

"Aim for the ankle. The left one." said NoMan, calmly, looking for all the world like one of the robots they were fighting!

Gravity Girl didn't have a lot of choice - she fired!

OOC Roll of 17, hits for 8 accuracy. x3 damage from the ray gun, bypasses Damage Dividers completely!

There was a shock of power running up and down the body of the robot nearest Gravity Girl, and the thing shuddered, then limped to a halt, leg quite useless!

"Now aim for the right shoulder. Design faults. Even machines aren't perfect." said NoMan calmly, still sat on the floor and looking like one of the robots they faced!

OOC Roll of 7, missed. She fires again. 14, hit for 5 accuracy, 15 damage, again no dividers.

BANG!

The robot split in half, the torso pinging and flaring as wires exploded, and showered the other 'bots with exploding fragments!

NoMan turned to Gravity Girl. "If we can get a message to Spartan, we can tell him to set the Skrall computers to target them with the scatter guns that they use for destroying asteroids. Other than that... I need a hand getting up whilst I figure out how this body works." he said in a robotic tone!

OOC Bulletman has 1 action (2 frames) left. NoMan used his power to perfectly mimic his target, and thanks to the high roll, it worked better than expected! Targeting the left ankle then right shoulder takes the robots clean out of the fight after 35htk and ignores dividers. Gravity Girl moves to help NoMan up, but with one Robot down, five remain (with one slightly injured). Your action, then robots to act.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Mar 01 2012, 23:50

Bulletman being a one trick pony right now, other than a raygun, he tries to fly and smash into the lead robot, buying as much time for his allies as possible with that attack.

"Hey Gravity Girl," he calls out as he is about to take off again. "Can you put all your gravity on one spot on the ship, make it tilt to the ground from a massive shift in weight like that?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Mar 02 2012, 07:47

Admin wrote:Trowers
"After all, we gave them future technology, superhumans, alien allies, robots, undead, animal/men hybrids, doomsday machines... We gave them every possible means to win the war in Europe decisively and quickly, in a matter of days! Once London and the ruling government was gone, the rest of Britain would fall. Everything pointed to success. We tried to cover every eventuality, but we could not counter the one thing that thwarted the Nazi war effort - the Vanguard. Remarkable. And annoying. Tell me of them, I must know!"

Lionheart/Anyman sniffed, a resigned sigh escaped his mouth. Lance having timed it, so as to make it look as if he was feeling dispirited and resigned to his fate. "Well I wish you'd done a 101 on godlike beings. Next to them I feel like a fly. I think what they know about themselves they keep to themselves. They are as mysterious to me as would be a human to an ant. I can't tell you much, save what I've seen. Though they've been my companions, and yes done a lot to make your life a richer more fulfilling experience..." At this Lance glanced up, noting the way his words stung, before carrying on.

"Truth be told, there as much a mystery to me, as they are to you! Now enough chatter, you caused this mess, how about undoing it. Then you know I will do the right thing and honour our bargain."

Somehow even deep within his borrowed memories, Lance new that Benthem and Trowers would do anything but honour the deal. But for now he had to play along, at least until the Robots had been taken care off. It all seemed to depend on this...unless of course it was all a huge bluff, just to get him here!

OOC:
Right then lets get on with things, I've a feeling Trowers is playing for time, getting ready to do something but not as agreed. So its time we sped things along and hopefully got them to reverse what they started.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Mar 03 2012, 02:39

Lionheart sped in, closely followed by the missile which was being guided by Frostbot, clung to the back of it! Flak burst all about them, and one shot came perilously close, momentarily blinding Lionheart! he wavered in the air, then straightened and shot like an arrow to an automated gun, like a sphere jutting from the surface of the ship, large calibre stubby barrels tracking the V-Ship now that Lionheart was too close to fire at.

OOC Lionheart has 70 strength, +55 damage...

He punched a hole into the side of the gun sphere, felt about, grabbed something substantial, and pulled! A handful of wires and delicate electronics burst forth, and the gun popped then fizzled, seeming to slump! One down... Lionheart glanced to the side... up ... down... hundreds to go! His heart sunk!

Then something - some inner sense of danger - told him to get clear! He did so as the gun pod exploded, sending fragments outwards in a deadly shower! In its wake a small hole - big enough for him to get through and widen - was left. A shimmering forcefield formed across it, and Lionheart groaned. He would have to be at his strongest to pierce that! And even then...

Suddenly a huge explosion rung out behind him... "FROSTBOT!" he cried, as he realised the flak had struck the missile the robot rode in on! All that remained was a billowing flame, then a shower of fragments! As bursting shells exploded around him, Lionheart looked through the smoke, then dived at speed, swooping up after he'd caught an object... Frostbots head!

"...skrrzzzz... testing... functionality impaired. Rerouting... failed. Self diagnostic mode... Oh. I have no body."
said the head. "But I can still be of assistance. Get me close to a terminal." it suggested.

The guns were training on him again, and Lionheart sped over to the hole in the side of the ship. Giving it a tentative push, he felt the field stiffen and resist him. If he used all of his strength, he'd lose the ability to fly!

"Warning!" said Frostbot. "Flying robots detected!"

Lionheart already knew, and was looking up to where a hatch had opened in the vast ship and spewed forth four spheres, which sprouted heads and guns for arms! They buzzed down the side of the great flying vessel towards the hero and the body-less robot!

OOC Initiative Lionheart 4, Robots 8. They spend two frames moving into attack range and will do so with their remaining frame, but Lionheart has his five frames first. They are 5m away and closing fast!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next