The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #6 Deal with the devil...

3 posters

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #6 Deal with the devil... - Page 2 Empty Re: World War II - The Vanguard Issue #6 Deal with the devil...

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Jan 16 2012, 14:22

ooc: Looks good to me. Not sure what you mean by the 3/4 split for HTC, HTK but the split looks fine as well. Much rather have more HTK then HTC in this deadly game. Just need to give Anyman his Grade One Vigour he earned at the end of the last issue and we are ready to go. We will put him Blue Beetle's chainmail outfit with Bulletman's helmet. I will send you a Blue Beetle cover. You already have Bulletman.

"I wonder what the new guy looks like," Lt. Cmdr Lance Allard aka Anyman says, waiting for the new blood to show for the fight over London.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #6 Deal with the devil... - Page 2 Empty Re: World War II - The Vanguard Issue #6 Deal with the devil...

Post  Admin Mon Jan 16 2012, 18:13

OOC got your message of last night and updated it this morning already (see character sheets) but it's here for your convenience too. The '3/4 split' is 4htk per vigour point and 3htc per vigour point, as per your requirements (Anyman gets a 4/5 split because he's more powerful)

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #6 Deal with the devil... - Page 2 ANYMAN_WWII

Post Update/Bulletmans introduction later on today.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jan 18 2012, 12:26

The costume felt tight, strange.

Not to mention that it looked ridiculous! Still, he was here, finally. Codename 'Bulletman'. He wondered about that then shrugged. He had joined the Justiciars, a group of super agents who acted as understudy and backup to the now famous and still mysterious Vanguard. Blurred photos of that famous group had been handed to the press, as had vague details of their missions but they were more or less steeped in mystery. Successes against Nazi special forces abroad were attributed to them, and word had gotten out that Anyman was the most wanted man in the World, with the Nazis offering anyone their own weight in gold bullion as reward for his capture or death!

Now he was about to meet the man.

Walking out into the overcast morning, dew on the grass still gleaming, he saw Brigadier Dawson chatting to Lt. Commander Lance Allard - the infamous Anyman. In trenchcoat, hat, skin bandaged up, he looked... well, if not menacing then at least odd! Bulletman glanced down at himself then stifled a chuckle. Stepping up to the pair and glancing past, as the V-Ship was being prepped for take off, he saluted and announced "SIR!"

Dawson turned and returned the salute, but added "No salutes around here old chap. Makes a fellow a target in the open, what? I was just telling Allard here that the incoming bombers are closing on London and you've not got long to intercept them. get aboard, follow his orders. God knows he has more experience than anyone we have on how to dish it out to the Nazis, but I'm sure Frostbite and Sentinel would have a good shout at equalling him. Remember your training, and if those bloody gadgets give you any bother for gods sake pull the cord on that mini parachute! It won't save you from a low fall or one at speed, but it might slow you enough to save your neck! You may be bulletproof with that set up, but nobody we know of is gravity proof."

A female officer dashed up, holding onto her hat and skirt as the engines on the V-Ship hummed into life, whipping up the wind where the trio stood. "Sir! Lionheart is awake, and apparently fit for duty!" Dawson turned to Anyman. "He's yours if you want him. We've got a few things that young man should know about chain of command and going off piste, but he's effective and probably the nearest thing we have to the perfect soldier - at least until it comes to following orders, then he's the bloody worst!"

OOC If Anyman wants Lionheart along (and Dave E is ok with it) we'll get Lionheart in on this mission. He can fly, fast, and is as effective as anyone at splatting Nazis. If you want to give me some idea as to how Bulletmans stats are arranged (as you see fit. All were reasonable rolls. All characters from now on will be rolled with d10+8 for the Justiciars recruits, though there will be less of them as the selection process is much tighter after the last disaster). Plus Anyman has a habit of killing his sidekicks off, even if unintentional...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Jan 18 2012, 13:14

OOC If Anyman wants Lionheart along (and Dave E is ok with it) we'll get Lionheart in on this mission. He can fly, fast, and is as effective as anyone at splatting Nazis. If you want to give me some idea as to how Bulletmans stats are arranged (as you see fit. All were reasonable rolls. All characters from now on will be rolled with d10+8 for the Justiciars recruits, though there will be less of them as the selection process is much tighter after the last disaster). Plus Anyman has a habit of killing his sidekicks off, even if unintentional...

ooc: I don't kill 'em, they just keep going up against class five uglies, which is why he prefers not to use the Justicars when he can avoid them. Bulletman's flight isn't great enough to actually go against the bombers, is it? I'm at work right now, internet is down at home. So when I get home and see if it is back up, I will roll his stats for you.

"Lionheart? If he is up and feels like it, we can use him," Anyman says with some enthusiasm. "What you can do, mister?" He looks at Bulletman.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Jan 18 2012, 17:34

DavidMcMahon wrote:"Lionheart? If he is up and feels like it, we can use him," Anyman says with some enthusiasm."

OOC:

No problem Lionheart is up for it

As Lionheart prowled around unsure as to what to do, one of the officers came in, obviously looking flustered and slightly out of breath. "At last," Lionheart thought, "some action!"

He didn't wait for the soldier to finish his message, no need, his mind had picked up on orders flying about, the race to get the ship and crew ready and the impending disaster that was heading toward London.

Speeding out, faster than most eyes could follow, Lionheart saw Dawson, Anyman and another figure dressed in some outlandish, new British tech, stood with them. As he speed forward, he came to an impulsive stop and simple said, "What's taking you slow coaches so long."

Before speeding aboard the ship, to help get it ready for take off and the battle of its life.

OOC:
Ok all present and correct, and ready to go into out London and beyond...!

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jan 19 2012, 01:26

"I guess that was Lionheart," Anyman tells Bulletman. "Might as well get on board and you can tell us on the way what you can do."

"Yes sir," Bulletman replies. The duo board with a wave to those who are staying behind and head for the control room or bridge.

"So," he says, turning to Bulletman, "you were going to tell me who you are and what powers you have. Lionheart? It is you and not that other buttwipe, isn't it? Have you met this met guy before?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jan 19 2012, 07:11

DavidMcMahon wrote:"So," he says, turning to Bulletman, "you were going to tell me who you are and what powers you have. Lionheart? It is you and not that other buttwipe, isn't it? Have you met this met guy before?"

Lionheart nodded, his hand flashing about in front of him as he compiled tasks faster than the ordinary eye could follow"Saladin is alive, but not in me. Thankfully. I found it so hard to be trapped within my own body unable to get out. Lionheart momentarily paused before giving himself a shake to disperse the memory of his imposition and then turning to Bulletman said, "So who are you?"

OOC:
I guess at this stage we are good to go, and get on with the next scene, once Bulletman has filled us in.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jan 19 2012, 12:02

OOC If Anyman wants Lionheart along (and Dave E is ok with it) we'll get Lionheart in on this mission. He can fly, fast, and is as effective as anyone at splatting Nazis. If you want to give me some idea as to how Bulletmans stats are arranged (as you see fit. All were reasonable rolls. All characters from now on will be rolled with d10+8 for the Justiciars recruits, though there will be less of them as the selection process is much tighter after the last disaster). Plus Anyman has a habit of killing his sidekicks off, even if unintentional....

Just rolled, got 9,3,2,5 on the dice so with the +8 that turns into 17, 11, 10, 13. Ego is probably the least needed stat for Bulletman so that gets the 10. I think we should be put 17 into Strength, the 13 into Vigour and the 11 into Agility.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jan 20 2012, 17:44

OOC I'll get on with Bulletmans' character sheet (started yesterday but didn't have stats) but in the meantime...

The V-Ship prepped for take off with RAF seconded personnel forming part of the crew. They'd been working with the V-Ships non stop whenever they weren't out on missions and all were trusted service people, now agents of DICE. Even so, many gave the diminutive Skrall technicians a glance as they walked here and there, performing tasks with near computer like efficiency and tied into the computers systems. Even though he'd been briefed, Bulletman looked on in wonder - these were little green men from outer space! That was Anyman, scourge of the Nazis! That was Lionheart, most powerful superhuman on planet Earth! His eyes nearly popped from his head as Major Steed walked out across the field towards the V-Ship. Anyman was talking to some of the RAF crew on what to do with the weapons and how he thought they would best work when he looked up and saw her through the window.

Meanwhile Lionheart went into the lab area of this particular V-Ship and looked at the equipment. Something had changed about him. For the better - it felt like a weight were lifted off his shoulders, but until he ran tests... was he as fast, as powerful? Did he have the same amazing powers that he'd gained by being combined with Saladin?

"This is the pilot. take off in t minus one minute. All crew to take off positions. Vanguard and Justiciars to the bridge. All hands, T minus 50 seconds to take off." came out over the comms.

Steed held her hair down as the wind from the engines blew her about and she looked at Anyman in the hatch of the hold, just before it started to close. "You be careful out there!" she shouted over the din. "We have new intel - the Nazis have offered a big reward on your head! When we get back we'll have to..."

The hatch closed, cutting off her words, and she moved back as powerful thruster fans spun up and provided near silent (save for wind noise) vertical take off!

=========

Peeler Agent 72, Harrison McCarthy, raised his eyebrows as Lionheart, Anyman and the new fellow, 'Bulletman' came onto the bridge

All around him the crew worked at consoles as they'd been shown, sometimes corrected - without a sound - by the Skrall technicians if a particular sequence was input wrong. "Ahhh, gentlemen" said the older man. He was near 55, too old for active duty but had been promoted from mission planning to field ops for this one. "We've coordinated with the RAF. They are to harry and slow the Nazi bomber fleet but not get too close! Those fiends have been enjoying themselves, running our fellows ragged and leaving them burning on the ground as they press on towards London! We have..." he tapped a Skrall technician on the shoulder and turned to the circular table/screen in the centre of the bridge as it lit up and showed a picture:

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #6 Deal with the devil... - Page 2 Small_bombers

"Ah yes. Thanks little fellow. Right. These planes have advanced engines - our fellows believe them to be jets. God only knows how they got them designed and working so fast..."

Lionheart cringed. He knew.

"...but they work. They are faster than anything we have, but they are vulnerable to gunfire - if we can catch them! They are light, manoeuvrable, and fire what we thought were fireworks, but are actually air to air rockets! They pop out from under the wings, let loose with a barrage, and send our chaps spiralling from the sky! What's more, the reports coming in are fuzzy. A pilot, near hysterical, claimed that they were pouring out of some vast flying 'super bomber' that 'rather looked like a plane, what?' His words. Fellow need a stiff whisky afterwards. Now, one of you chaps, a fellow called Sky Eagle, came across something similar, but he's not here to talk about it. That, it turns out, was a fast, armoured Zeppelin. He took care of that, though it cost us a a Justiciar. This is something else, something bigger, and ..." he looked at a big countdown on the main front viewer. "We have 23 minutes till it's over central London at it's current speed and course. General Wynn is hampering it with the most ghastly winds and hail, but had to back it off as we were having to ground our lads too."

One of the RAF crew called over. "Sorry to interrupt sir, but all systems are go for hypersonic speed!"

McCarthy grinned. "Heard all about this. We should be on them in minutes!" he pressed a button on the table top and spoke into a microphone. "ALL CREW! Make ready for hypersonic travel. Countdown... 5... 4... 3... 2...1!"

The V-Ship 'hopped' forward and the landscape scrolled faster in the main view window. McCarthy sounded disappointed, even when the V-Ship made a sonic boom!

"Oh."

Lionheart glanced at Anyman and shrugged. They'd been so used to this kind of thing - and far more besides - that it was hard to get worked up about it. Bulletman just looked about. "Wow!" he said.

McCarthy, with a frown, turned to the trio. "We'll be on the Nazis in minutes. What do you suggest the tactics should be? We're fully armed and fueled, so we can give a good account of ourselves, but what do you chaps intend to do?"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jan 20 2012, 18:42

Admin wrote:McCarthy, with a frown, turned to the trio. "We'll be on the Nazis in minutes. What do you suggest the tactics should be? We're fully armed and fueled, so we can give a good account of ourselves, but what do you chaps intend to do?"

Lionheart looked across at Anyman, knowing in some ways that he very much worked behind what was going on. Although recent events might suggest a change in tactics. But both of them potentially could cause a tremendous amount of havoc if they could get onboard this supper bomber. The question being would that leave the V ship vulnerable.

Lionheart waited for Anyman to respond, although he'd thought through several scenarios, this was Anyman's operation.

OOC:
Dave I wanted to let you chip in, as it stands I think for myself the sooner I can get aboard the huge bomber ship the better. But then I also think Anyman behind enemy lines - who is better match than he to get on the Bomber? So I guess I'll wait on Dave and then make a suggestion as to what I do.

Out of interest Paul, besides the big bomber and the smaller ones you showed us, what other assets have the Nazi's deployed that we know about - supers for instance?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Jan 20 2012, 19:11

"Still need to know what you can do," Anyman tells Bulletman. "With that weird helmet, I take it you can fly? As fast as a plane?"

"NoMan's off on another mission, I take it," he continued to no one in particular. "He's a chap who is our ally," he explains to the other two as he isn't sure if they met him or not. "A P'utarnariun whose powers were twisted by the Nazis so that he can absorb or copy the powers of anyone he touches. I try not to let him touch me, in case some of the Dark Power gets loose in him and he goes wild. Just as an aside."

He waits for Bulletman's reply.

ooc: Yeah, the RAF and the V-Ship take on the 'normal' bombers while we take on the two huge bombers. But if Bulletman can fly fast enough, he might need to go fight the normal planes too. Be good for morale watching him barrel head first into plane after plane, smashing them down.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jan 20 2012, 19:34

DavidMcMahon wrote:ooc: Yeah, the RAF and the V-Ship take on the 'normal' bombers while we take on the two huge bombers. But if Bulletman can fly fast enough, he might need to go fight the normal planes too. Be good for morale watching him barrel head first into plane after plane, smashing them down.

OOC:

Sounds good to me, when can we get a scan of the craft in question, what other info can we get on it as well as potential security and what not. Once we get that, I'll/Lionheart jump in.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 21 2012, 12:39

OOC Dave M - before I update the post I am figuring mechanics of how Bulletmans' belt and helmet work. I've made them more powerful... but more limited to. Take a look:

Flying Belt - generates a magnetic pulse that fires him forwards riding along
invisible magnetic waves in the Earths atmosphere. The power needed to
do this is tremendous, and requires Bulletmans' ability to manipulate Lunarium
energy to operate. In game terms use the following mechanic:
Belt has 20 'flight points' and regenerates 1/round
Grade 1 flight costs 1/round
Grade 2 flight costs 3/round
Grade 3 flight costs 6/round
Grade 4 flight costs 10/round
A more efficient design would provide better flying capabilities. If the flying
points are ever reduced to zero, the belts power supply is exhausted.

Magno Power Helmet - a Skrall design modified to fit human heads, it looks like
a bullet, hence the character name. Allows him to project a field of magnetism that repels
metals and metal based attack. Against metal based attacks roll 10d6htk to reduce (BUT discard 1s!).
example: rolls 10d6 against a bullet, gets 4,3,4,5,1,1,6,2,5,3. The ones are discarded
and the total htk to reduce the attack by is 32 points.
Every time a 1 is discarded, a die from the 10d6 is dropped. When the
final die is dropped, the belt needs a new source of Lunarium. Every time the belt generates a protective
field, the effects last for four frames.

The boffins will come up with new gadgets to break test and only Bulletman can use them, because he uses his lunarium field manipulation power to amplify their output. Effectively he only does this once, when the device is turned on, then the belt or helmet is powered by it's own source. Effectively, he could fly indefinitely at grade 1 speed, but that's so slow at some point he'll get fed up and find a car to hitch a lift. He can (in theory) break the sound barrier and achieve escape velocity with grade 4 flight but it's for a burst only, meaning good to catch something up or escape, then has to slow down or the belt - a prototype - burns out its lunarium source. Same with the helmet. basically its a container for a lunarium cylinder (meaning, in effect with the right catalyst, he wears a bomb on his head). if he's unlucky, it burns out in the first use. More likely it will burn out over time.

See what you think. I'm limited as to what I can grant a starting character. He has more than the other characters, but the limitations balance it, in my opinion. Any thoughts or suggestions from you guys are welcome. Once the gizmos are ok will write up into the sheet and get on with the action, be later today for an update, guaranteed. (ha! Unless aliens invade or the family sends me round the twist...)

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Jan 21 2012, 13:16

Is Grade 3 Flight capable of matching speeds of a normal German Fighter? Not a jet but their normal planes? If it is, and if I am reading it correctly, he will be able to take out three planes, assuming that they are within 20' of him when he attacks and then becomes useless in the air.

Hope he carries a couple of spare Lunarium pills to recharge his force field because it is not likely but possible that he will roll all ones in a single roll. Later on, we may have to invent a Lunarium ray gun for him to use, like what you considered early on, if he can fly and fight in the air for long.

But let's give this a try and if he survives, we can tinker with it later since these are experimental gadgets, tinkering should be allowed. Smile
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Jan 21 2012, 13:28

Admin wrote:Any thoughts or suggestions from you guys are welcome.

OOC:

This all sounds fine, but I agree with Dave, all this Lunarium is going to be hard to replace and effectively leave him stranded if he doesn't have a source to draw on in game! Would it be better to say the Lunarium recharges - something along the lines that energy attacks recharge after five rounds, so that the same piece can be used on a mission, (and then replaced afterwards) but it takes time to recharge as specified in some way in game. Otherwise in game terms, Bulletman will end up needing to be rescued himself in no short time!

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 21 2012, 19:47

OOC by my best guess, Grade 3 flight flat out is around 776mph - sound barrier or thereabouts. In a round he moves at 25m/frame, accelerating by 40m/round up to 185m/frame (sound barrier speed). So it depends on how fast he flies in a straight line. *sigh* lousy street level measures again. Don't get me started. Anyway, my best guess is that 776mph=185m/frame so 25m=104mph. Not fast enough to catch a plane. And these are fast enough to outrun spitfires. If he accelerates for 1 round flat out he moves at 272mph. Another round bumps this up to 440mph. Now this is the sort of speed these smaller bombers are shifting at (though they can go faster) That means you need to a) drop out of the V-Ship and start flying b) accelerate for 2 rounds in a straight line and c) hope to match their speed and that they don't speed up, otherwise you're going to flatten the belt battery! He would be able to catch a normal fighter plane (non jet) with just one round of flat out acceleration, but a jet is probably pushing his belt to the limit.

Needed a calculator for all that. Ah, the joys of old school gaming Very Happy

Bulletman has a range of 'self' - around 1" around his body for his magno-repellant field. His field manipulation (Lunarium radiation) has a 20m range. If these planes use Lunarium in any way he can simply 'turn it off' temporarily (whilst in range) or boost its energy output by a factor of 2. Both would cause lots of problems but for different reasons! Potentially, his ability to magnify or decrease the energy output of the strange lunarium metal could be his most potent ability (and is the only reason these gizmos of the Strange Science Section have any chance of working!)

Have no problems with him having... say, 5 of the lunarium pellets (about the size of a pea) to carry around with in in special lead capsules (to block the radiation). He just flicks a lighter under one to melt the lead away a little and uses his power to shut off the lunarium radiation. Then he pops it in the belt or the hat and clicks everything back in place. After that, he presses the button and hopes his gizmos work! His lunarium ray gun, exo skeleton, magneto-repellant boots and various other bits and bobs can be added later, if he doesn't croak in his adventures first!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 21 2012, 22:34

OOC Dave M see the character sheets section. Plenty of blanks to fill in on the sheet, let me know what you'd like putting in there (or write it up so I can copy/paste).

McCarthy frowned. He turned to the Skralls who shook their head. "We can't scan the big Nazi ship. Some kind of jamming I expect! I thought this ship could do anything! It's a technological marvel, what?"

Lionheart and Anyman glanced at one another. They turned to Bulletman who adjusted the helmet on his head. "We've... not actually tested how fast I can fly. This belt didn't work until I picked it up, now the boffins are sayin' I've some kind of 'magic touch' with that Lunarium stuff the General told me about. All I know is, I'm itchin' to get at th' Nazis but I'll follow your lead sirs. Ain't gonna be no repeat of what 'appened to them other lads and lasses, god rest 'em. I spoke to a few that was left, mostly in hospital and they all said they wouldn't change a thing, an' if they was able, would be in my place. Maybe they didn't get a fair crack o the whip, but I figures that I'm one of a new breed o Justiciars that needs to set a few things straight with the Nazis!"

"Inclement weather on the scope!" shouted one of the RAF crew, after a Skrall shook his jacket sleeve. McCarthy nodded. "Best let General Wynn know we've movin' into range of his power and to drop it. Make best speed! Raise shields!" he leaned over to a panel and pressed a button on the panel. "This is the XO. All hands, prepare for battle stations! Medical bay, prepare for casualties. Fire support teams at the ready. Security, make ready for repelling boarders, this is not a drill!"

Lionheart rolled his eyes and sat casually against a console. Truth told he'd not had chance to test his own powers yet! There could be the possibility that he was somehow less powerful, that their guns would rip through him! He shrugged. Somehow he knew that wasn't the case. Far from it!

Anyman looked at the human crew. They weren't half as efficient as the Skrall, and many mopped beading brows, but they'd do. He turned to look at the viewscreen, then squinted. ""There! What's... magnify! Section... E7." he said referring to hand painted numbers designating the screen overlay on the wondrous glass panel screen that projected images onto the wall. One day he figured, every home would have one. He chuckled at the thought, but shrugged. Somehow he knew it to be true!

McCarthy made some adjustments to controls, getting used to them himself!

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #6 Deal with the devil... - Page 2 Image3

"What the bloody hell?" muttered an RAF serviceman. Everyone stood back to gape at the screen.

"Range?" asked Lionheart. "RANGE, man! Don't dither!" shouted the youngster. Though in his early twenties his voice carried weight and authority - as did his rank of Squadron leader! McCarthy straightened "Apologies sir. Range... 10 miles. That's a magnification... but not by much. It must be... is that right?" he looked up. "Nearly half a mile long!"

All eyes turned to the screen again. "It's too high for our fighters to tackle. Any that got near were shot out of the sky! We're scanning... two, nearly three dozen of those smaller bombers buzzing about it! that thing must... must carry enough bombs to completely annihilate London!"

Many eyes turned to the countdown. "17 minutes and counting..." confirmed a young female officer, clearly petrified. "Sir... excuse me... but what can we do against THAT?"

Guillotine walked onto the bridge, to the surprised looks of Anyman and Lionheart. She was buckling on a jet pack, and tossed one with casual near superhuman strength through the air to Anyman. Behind her, NoMan walked onto the bridge, self conscious in costume and aware he'd not covered himself in glory! Still, he was ready to do his part! The PSI Agent looked at the screen and smiled at McCarthy as she walked up. Less proficient than the wounded Boadicea at planning, and more an expert in science, she still had some experience. She 'clanked' a metal cylinder around the size of a pint glass on the table. "This is a shell for our acceleration guns - used to deflect and destroy meteors, yes? Twist..." she demonstrated "here and it becomes magnetic, helps it fire from the gun. Except these are ... oops..." she twisted it the other way after the displays on the bridge became garbled, and the Skralls started swaying about drunkenly! "These are not set to explode, but to emit a focussed electromagnetic pulse." Lionheart smiled knowingly whilst everyone else looked on, baffled.

"They will mess with their systems. Something that big HAS to be alien technology. I surmise that the Nazis have made a new deal with the Skrall, and it involves turning what otherwise would be, well, from the size of that, half a dozen battleships, into a singular flying warship the likes of which history has never seen before! It's maiden mission? To destroy London and..."

She glanced at the clock. "16 minutes 12 seconds. We're wasting time gentlemen!"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jan 22 2012, 08:29

Admin wrote:"They will mess with their systems. Something that big HAS to be alien technology. I surmise that the Nazis have made a new deal with the Skrall, and it involves turning what otherwise would be, well, from the size of that, half a dozen battleships, into a singular flying warship the likes of which history has never seen before! It's maiden mission? To destroy London and..."

She glanced at the clock. "16 minutes 12 seconds. We're wasting time gentlemen!"

Lionheart looked across at Guillotine, glad to have her along. He gave her a cheeky wink, pleased that she was aboard. Turning back to McCarthy, he said.

"McCarthy, how about getting this old tub above that thing and we do a drop from above. The speed and height might gives us an edge so we can get aboard and we need to do it post haste. So chop chop man, don't you think?

The last comment was directed at Anyman, Lionheart knew it was his mission, but time was against them and they didn't have time to deliberate on strategy. Getting through the ships defences, past their guns and onto the thing was going to be hard enough. The Element of surprise wasn't going to win them much time, already in his mind, Lionheart wondered if he'd be better suited to causing a distraction, whilst Anyman could get deep into the bowels of the thing, to do the most damage, simply by being anyone he choose to be. Having No Man with them was an added bonus, besides Guillotine's sharp scientific mind.

OOC:
Ok Dave not sure if you think my idea is worth trying, but jumping in from above does make use of speed in our favour, although stopping is going to be fun.

Once onboard do we split in two, take advantage of your shape changing abilities and let you loose? Do you cause the distractions or are you better suited to getting to the place where you can either blow this thing up or turn it around and sink it in the sea? Either way I don't see this thing coming back - but hey you've been full of surprises so far, so don't let me cramp your style ;-) Just wanted to offer some suggestions.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Jan 22 2012, 13:51

"Right! Anyman said," Shifting into Ronald Coleman in one his more dramatic historical roles, "here's the plan. We drop down and board her. We make our way to her engine room and take it out. No power. No flying. And hope to blazes we drop her BEFORE it crashes into a populated area!"

"The V-Ship will take on however many of the regular bombers and fighers you can handle. Don't get blown up! Stay out of ragne of that big thing once we are dropped off. I hate having to go out into space and capture more alien spaceships! So don't get blown up!"

"NoMan and you Justicars, stay behind Lionheart and me as much as possible. This is a bare bones plan because I can feel it in my bones, there are going to be super Nazis of our power level, not yours." He points at Lionheart and himself. "You handle the goons and let use handle the super Nazis, as much as possible."

"NoMan, here, can duplicate or absorb someone else's powers, to a certain extent. It is duplicate, right? So you might want to let him touch you before we leave. If it is absorb, then wait until we find a nice super-Nazi that Lionheart and I are fighting, see your chance, rush in and grab and absorb. But hang back until then."

"Let's go!"

He switches form to match Errol Flynn in his Robin Hood costume as he strides from the Bridge and out to meet the enemy.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 23 2012, 22:35

Guillotine watched Anyman give his speech and change form before shaking her head. "I think he's bonkers, but so far he seems to have been proven right and rattled the Nazis cage the most."

McCarthy turned to Lionheart. "Aye sir. Course change... parallel plus... 3,000 feet to that thing. Not too close now! Shields to full!"

The V-Ship fired it's great engines, heading towards the cusp of space, then angled downwards. Despite their speed and manoeuvrability, the Nazi bombers couldn't hope to keep up with a fully charged Skrall exploration craft!

In minutes the V-Ship was in position, and the rear hatch opened, the wind howling and threatening to tear those clinging to rails inside from their moorings! Lionheart was the only one who stood immobile, his telekinetic powers resisting the pull of the wind and making his body tingle. His forcefield hummed near silently, and the logo on his new costume glowed yellow. He wasn't sure what had changed, but something was definitely different!

Was he weaker? Maybe in some ways, but there was *something* about his telekinetic powers that made him think he'd gained far more than he'd lost!

OOC And he has. Dave, I will outline some ideas. I wish we were using the Vanguard rule set but will adapt them as best I can to Golden Heroes. to be honest, with a unified mechanic, updated powers (without upper limits on ranks or grades), an improved skill rule and GH would be ideal for us. Saying that, it'd be a different game by then Rolling Eyes

NoMan, nervous and unsure of his ability to do his part, pledged to anyway. He'd spent his time recovering from the beating on board the P'utinarian vessel then practising his mimickry powers. Certain things he could remember in his head, but the capacity was limited. Still, one of them was a Peregrine Falcon, which he'd touched after one of the DICE operatives found it on the grounds having been flustered after a V-Ship came in. A few hours later it'd flown off, healthy, having eaten a meal of fresh rabbit, but not before NoMan had committed it's form to memory!

Now he transformed into the likeness of the bird and plunged from the hatch first!

Lionheart followed a split second later, dropping like a stone towards the craft below. He angled himself to intercept the Nazi vessel, then poured on his speed...

FFFFFFFFWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Anyman watched from the hatch as Lionheart disappeared with a BOOM! marking his way through several times the speed of sound! "I didn't know he could do that?" he asked, turning to Guillotine who watched by Anymans' side. She had to shout over the wind, but replied "He can't! Something's wrong... "

"Or right?" asked Anyman. He shrugged, leapt from the belly of the plane and activated his jet pack! Bulletman blinked "This lot are ALL bloody nuts!" he muttered. With that he 'activated' that part of his mind that felt the Lunarium fizz into life then turned the gadgets - his helmet and belt - on. Though they shouldn't work, they crackled into life and Bulletman muttered "In fer a penny..." before leaping from the craft, followed by Guillotine!

=========

"Oy! What do you think you're bloody doin? Eh?" shouted a farmer as he peered with some trepidation at the steaming hole in his field

Lionheart, glowing fiercely, stood. He was in a steaming ten foot deep hole, though the mud simply slid off his force field. He looked up at the distant Nazi carrier disappearing into the distance and climbed out of the hole. "Good question old chap." he muttered. "Excuse me. I have a ... thing .. to catch." He glanced at the 100 yard long divot in the field and mounded steaming earth, plus the ruined crops. "Sorry about that old chap. Send a bill to DICE at Bletchley Park!" With that he gave a salute and gathered his energy. He glowed brighter and brighter, then leapt... catapulting forward at speed a second later!

"WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWhat the Heeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllll?" he shouted as the clouds screamed up to meet him! In seconds his golden sheathed form blasted through the clouds and he came up behind a Nazi bomber, flying as rear escort! Pouring on the speed he THWOOSHED! past it and sent it spiralling out of control as the air was sucked from its engines path! Once more he looked like he'd overshoot the huge carrier, but he checked his speed, glowing less, and angled up, then down to land where the others were just touching down on what appeared to be a large take off deck!

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #6 Deal with the devil... - Page 2 Killbot

Instantly hatches opened in the deck floor and dozens of man like robots rose from them! They turned guns on the newcomers and started firing!

"So much for the element of surprise!" yelled Guillotine as she ducked - with the others - behind the cover of one of the ten or so parked Nazi bombers on this side of the ship. "We need to make for that tower I would guess - or use a hatch that a robot came from." then she remembered who she was with. "Or we could make out own hole."

OOC you have 20 of these robots from 15-30m away. They walk as if magnetically adhered to the deck of the Nazi air carrier. The shape of the carrier cuts through the air sufficiently that you won't be blown off but it is very windy! There are (in your group) Lionheart, Anyman, NoMan, Guillotine and Bulletman. Give initial actions for the respective characters between you and I'll run through any actions/fighting that takes place.

The V-Ship peeled away high above as half a dozen Nazi bombers started to climb towards it, and the sudden THWOOSH! of rockets from hatches on this enormous carrier sped up trailing smoke towards the V-Ship! It opened fire to create a defensive barrage field, but Anyman rolled his eyes anyway. "They never look after those things. I wonder why I bother..."

OOC over to you. Dave E, I'll send you a PM with what I propose for Lionheart, so we don't clog up this post with back and forth messages.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jan 24 2012, 08:35

Admin wrote:OOC over to you. Dave E, I'll send you a PM with what I propose for Lionheart, so we don't clog up this post with back and forth messages.[/i]

OOC:

Ok Paul as per PM I wasn't sure how I allocated the points, for how long and how I recover them? For me that makes a huge difference in terms of how I deal with these things tactically. As it stands it sounds as if you've chosen flight speed very fast already. So not sure if that counts to the overall cost and how many points I have left to allocate?

Also since Dave won't see this till later and its his Opp, I am hesitant to post more till Dave has chimed in. So I'll hold fast and wait for Dave then go with some power choices.

But for starters I'd want to get in and attack, not hand to hand, but perhaps distract, jumping between them so they target me, and opps I move out just so they then hit each other, instead type of thing. So that it gives the others a chance to hit without drawing too much heat.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jan 24 2012, 15:40

OOC:

OK Paul having read up Lionheart's powers and stuff here is my choices for the time being.

Drop flight and have a grade of speed= 1, Three grades of strength = 6, Hyper Field grade 3=6, Telekenisis (you didn't say if this had grades so assuming=1 note sure what to do with the rest as I don't need them on anything save flight, which I can switch on if I fall. Doubt I'll not have a an action from this height to change it!

Unless Dave says otherwise, charge in jump around let them shoot each other and push, pull them into one another's path's etc. Once we've done with these, I'm thinking lets make our own entrance?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jan 24 2012, 16:03

OOC bear in mind you won't be able to attack physically through your own field with grade 3 force field, but you'll be able to pick stuff up and toss it about with telekinesis. 3 grades of strength adds +44 points putting him on 58 strength (+43 damage in hth). 1 grade of speed boosts DC down to 4 and Dodge mod up to +9, Hyper Field stops 54htk and any more off Htc. All PSI powers grades are fixed at grade 1. How much effort you put into them (HTK/HTC) is up to you. As for falling, Lionheart will have time to switch to force field, flight or whatever as you guys are higher than spitfires can fly and flak guns can't reach either, so loads of time, hence his change from grade 5 flight to grade 5 force field before he smacked into the farmers field! You have energy 1/15.

I'm thinking of changing the Defence class system. Those with some kind of movement or agility power will be harder to hit. Those with tough skin or armour will get an extra divider on each but be DC10 and easier to hit. Opinions, anyone? (We can take this to the chat about the game ooc thread)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jan 24 2012, 21:51

"Machine gun totting mechanical men," Anyman muttered, shifting into an American Old West Cavalry officer, with the 7th Cavalry insignia on his collar, "and large bombers still on deck next to us. Hmmm. I HAVE A PLAN!!!"

He shouts with glee. Finally having someone else with him of his power level or better released something inside him. This time he was sure he wouldn't be the only one to return alive and relatively whole. The manical actor side came out of him now.

[ooc: Going to have to do a power boost one of these days on shapeshift so I can shift form as a free action outside of combat. Or heck! In combat as long as it doesn't provide any benefits from doing so. Hint. Hint.]

"Everyone with great strength," he shouts and giggles manfully, "pair up and grab a plane and either throw it at them or use it as a battering ram and smash into them with it!"

A wicked gleam comes into his eyes as he grabs to the landing gear of the nearest plane and waits for someone to team up with him to use the Nazis' own planes against them.

[ooc: 7th Cavalary, for those who don't know, were wiped out with General Armstrong Custer at the Battle of Little Big Horn, the biggest victory the Indians ever had over the American Army.]
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jan 24 2012, 22:12

Admin wrote:OOC bear in mind you won't be able to attack physically through your own field with grade 3 force field, but you'll be able to pick stuff up and toss it about with telekinesis. 3 grades of strength adds +44 points putting him on 58 strength (+43 damage in hth). 1 grade of speed boosts DC down to 4 and Dodge mod up to +9, Hyper Field stops 54htk and any more off Htc.

OOC:

In which case don't worry about the Hyper field for now, lets pile it into another grade of speed and I'll join in with Anyman in taking some of the furniture and using it against them. Before leaping in among the rest.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next