The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..."

3 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..." - Page 6 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..."

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Mar 03 2023, 22:13

OOC: Right posting this on my phone so this is quick and dirty as I've not got access to my formatting file. 

1stly I'm absorbing 10 damage points since I've got so many hero points, I need to stay in the game.  I owe it to our new recruits to keep them alive.  Besides we need all the sorcerer's we can get.  So second thing is to when I can attack put hero points 8 points into accuracy and go for a devastating attack with all my points into effect on the Quantum Queen I've been trying to hit and take out.  We've got to stop our two new recruits from dying.  And we need to save the warlock and get a lead on Dawson.  My my I've not had a failure like this in ages, and it smarts.  What it is to play a genius but be a dunder head when it comes to tactics. 

The next thing is to freeze everything like I did with the eurotrash in the warehouse and see if I can't buy us some time.  Again if need be, use 8 hp to accuracy and everything else into effect and try to avoid getting the heroes in the cross fire. 

Boy I'm kicking myself, I didn't think I went in half cocked but it does feel like it now.  Oh well let's see if I can't turn this around with a few good rolls if the dice!

Just out of interest, what is the best way to revive a fallen hero and can we get White Warlock to help us out in anyway. If ever we needed someone to help turn the tide it was now.

As an aside, its a bit strange David hasn't chimed in for a while, I know he was having an issue with his wifi, do you know if that is still an issue? I have often thought if anything happened to any of us, how would we let the others know?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..." - Page 6 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..."

Post  Admin Wed Mar 08 2023, 22:18

FROSTBITE and the VANGUARD

OOC Frosty has 119 HP remaining and absorbs 10 damage leaving him on Body 10/11 but he is still STUNNED and cannot make a dice action this round. That is an attack for the most part. Non attack actions like the use of Ice Production to fill the place with super hard steel like ice are fine though so long as they don't constitute an attack. And so...

Rage goes after Battlebug again.

The youngster knows he's on borrowed time. He was one of the most physically powerful superheroes on the planet, if he got chance to use that power to boost his abilities, and a speedster wouldn't give him many chances!

OOC Rage boosts his abilities...

Adren Surge 20 + 2d12+0 6,4+0 = 10 (30) vs
Ov14 +2 Multi on two + 2d12+0 11,1+0 = 12 (28)

Success +2

EV20+2 (EV22) vs RV14 +2 (Multi on two) (RV16)=6 RAPs

Dex boosts to 20, Str to 15

AV20 + 2D M arts (3D Acro) + 4d12+0 10,8,6,3+0 = 18 (40) vs
Battlebug OV16 + 4D Acro (0D M Arts) + 6d12+0 6,10,11,5,10,3+0 = 20 DOUBLE plus 2d12+0 8,10+0 = 38 (54)

Missed!

Rage is a blur once again but incredibly the youngster stays just out of reach, his acrobatic prowess staggering to behold as he spins, rolls, tumbles, leaps and hops or sways out of the way of hundreds of punches!

"Blast it! Stay still damn you boy!" snarls Rage, getting angrier.

"Uh, uh!" replied the youngster, concentrating. "You're too nutty and dangerous to mess around with! Time to... uhhh... put you down!" he said, grunting with the effort!

OOC Battlebug boosts his own abilities...

GO FOR BROKE +4/-8 Adren Surge 24 + 4D Accuracy + 6d12+0 12,12,12,8,8,8+0 = Zoinks! 24 DOUBLE (boom!) plus 2d12+0 2,10+0 = 36 (60) vs

OV8 + Multi 4 (on three abilities) + GFB 8 + 2d12+0 9,9+0 = 18 DOUBLE plus 2d12+0 12,9+0 = 39 (59)

Success +1 (Just!!!!)

EV24 + 1 (EV25) vs RV8+ Multi 4 - GB 12 (RV0)=25 RAPs

Dex is boosted to 33, Str to 31, Power Reserve to 33 (split 16 Kinetic, 17 Energy absroption)

Battlebug attacks...

AV33 + 2d12+0 5,11+0 = 16 (49) vs
OV20 + 3D Acro + 5d12+0 10,4,1,12,12+0 = 24 DOUBLE (boom!) plus 2d12+0 9,12+0 = 45 (65)

Missed!

Aside from the one sided humbling Battlebug had taken at the hands of Saladin, he'd never seen the youngster struggle with anyone before like he was with this guy.

The pair were too fast for the eye to follow, even for someone with superhuman reflexes like Frostbite! A literal blur with the combatants seemingly in dozens of places at once, they came to a halt in a cloud of dust with the youngster looking about for the foe who'd just eluded him.

"I don't... I don't believe this!" splutters Battlebug. "Man I HATE speedsters!" he roared!

Rage grinned. "Boy, you are all they say and more, but you know I'm taking you down! You just aren't fast enough!"

"Enough jawing, get the job done!" roared Quake as he stomped towards Battlebug, towering over the youngster with his sheet mass!

Just then an ice wall sprung up around the Vanguard and White Warlock, separating them from the villains with its foot thick mass and super icy cold to the touch!

Frostbites head rung like a bell and he'd struggled to stay conscious after that blast but he needed to protect his team, buy them some time to regroup and save Black Spider!

He continued to blast ice out and despite the size of the hall he filled much of it. These villains were powerful enough to smash through it, but hopefully it would slow them down enough to grab their team mates and get them out!

White Warlock, dazed and injured, looked up through battered eyes and blinked. "Frostbite?" he muttered. He looked around for the rest of the Vanguard but recognised only Bug Brat, or Buggy, or Beetle boy or whatever his name was.

The Sorcerer stumbled over to where Frostbite was hovering, blasting wave after wave of freezing ice out.

"We need... to get out of here..." said the Sorcerer. "Regroup. Your team is in a bad way... you want to gather them up and I'll think of something?"

One of the Advent Enforcers stepped up and punched at the ice...

OOC Str 9 + 2d12+0 4,2+0 = 6 (15) vs
OV15 + 2d12+0 9,7+0 = 16 (31)

FAILED

The armoured Advent operative didn't even make a dent, save on his own armoured fist!

"Get out of the way!" screeched the energy form of Quantum Queen!

She swooped over the makeshift dome of ice and blasted with her power...

OOC AV21 + 2d12+0 7,7+0 = 14 DOUBLE plus 2d12+0 9,5+0 = 28 (49) vs
OV15 + 2d12+0 12,11+0 = 23 (38)

Success +5

EV21 +5 (EV26) vs RV15=11 RAPs

The energy beam sliced through the ice, causing big sections to crash inwards and exposing the huddled heroes inside!

Another armoured Advent enforcer stepped up and blasted at Battlebug with a blinding light!

OOC Flash 14 + 2d12+0 3,11+0 = 14 (28) vs
OV33 + 4D Acro + 6d12+0 11,9,10,7,8,4+0 = 21 (54)

Missed!

Seemingly faster than light itself the youngster throws a hand up in time and turns to the side as he's bathed in blinding light like that of the sun itself!

"Blasted light show! Get outta the way!" snarled Quake as he stomps up, kicking shattered ice aside and swinging at Battlebug!

OOC AV9 + 4D M Arts + 6d12+0 3,7,5,5,7,8+0 = 14 DOUBLE plus 2d12+0 6,8+0 = 28 (37) vs
OV33 + 4D Acro + 6d12+0 7,2,5,11,10,4+0 = 21 (54)

MISSED

He might have been having a bad day at the office in the 'putting bad guys down' department but Battlebug was practically impossible to hit. The world seemed slowed to a stop for him and he watched as a slow motion punch from Quake inched its way through the air and calmly stepped aside.

Things speeded up again and Quake stumbled past, only feet away from where Sorciere and Black Spider were on the floor!

"I can stomp them... hey! They... I recognise them! What are they doing with...?" spluttered Quake.

"HE got to them!" said Quantum Queen, pointing at Frostbite. "It's HIM! Take him down and the rest are nothing! The Vanguard are all about Frostbite! Without him, they are just a bunch of B listers!"

OOC Initiative for next round (where Frostbite can act - in other words he can attack now)

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..." - Page 6 Round-3

However, before Rage goes first if Frostbite wants White Warlock to transport them away he can act at the end of this round and cast a spell...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Mar 09 2023, 13:07

Admin wrote:
OOC Initiative for next round (where Frostbite can act - in other words he can attack now)

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..." - Page 6 Round-3

However, before Rage goes first if Frostbite wants White Warlock to transport them away he can act at the end of this round and cast a spell...

OOC: If WW can transport all of us away, yes then we need get away and regroup, however if he can't get us all then we need to bring the girls onboard so we don't leave anyone behind. I am not having them be left at such a critical juncture as this.

Seeking to clear his head, Frostbite motioned for the others to draw near. They had been used to stomping the bad guys with Lionheart as their big hitter. He alone made an enormous difference the like of which his absence, even with Battle Bug, made for a gaping vacuum as was only too evident. They did indeed need to regroup, Rage alone had held Battle Bug to a stalemate and goodness know what the others would do if given half a chance. Clearly he had misjudged their situation, and needed to reconsider. Their present mission to try and relocated Dawson would have to wait, at least for a moment.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 14 2023, 08:07

WHITE WARLOCK was normally more composed than this...

But it was clear the hero had taken a physical and mystical beating. Unusual, because he normally had a plan for most situations, but it seemed he'd been drained by some previous exertion and left vulnerable to the point of being overcome until Frostbite and his allies had come along.

"I'm not good for much at the moment..." said White Warlock "But I can do this...!"

He waved a hand and sparkling energy reached out from it to encompass Sorciere and Black Spider. They were lifted and floated quickly to where the Warlock was.

Battlebug turned from where he was battling Rage and Quake. He seemed torn on whether to continue the fight or join his leader but sense prevailed and he backflipped then bounded across to where the small group gathered.

"Don't let them escape! White Warlock knows where Dawson went!" snarled Quantum Queen as she lined up another shot!

Frostbite threw up another foot thick ice wall but knew the Villain had power to spare and would smash through it again.

Just then a gateway, glowing all about, appeared next to White Warlock and the group could see through it to a dark field or garden somewhere.

"Get in!" he cried and wobbled/fell through. Battlebug scooped up Black Spider whilst Sorciere was taken up by Frostbite and they moved through the portal just as the thick ice wall was destroyed behind them!

Frostbite turned and saw the speedster Rage racing up to dive through the portal but it winked shut and left the heroes breathing hard.

A look around revealed a large well kept garden in the grounds of a very large house, like a Manor. the stars twinkled bright overhead and it was peaceful after the battle they'd just had.

White Warlock sagged back onto the grass, exhausted. "Uh... Frosty, remind me to buy you a million drinks!" he gasped. He probed at his face, all puffy, swollen and bloodied and grimaced. "I suppose you are wondering what I was doing? Well, Dawson contacted me and asked for a really dumb favour. I was in the middle of something - I still am, in several different places - but I split myself off to help. All these wounds..." he winced as he sat up "are being taken by another of my selves fighting off a horde of demons. I sent Dawson back in time at his request. Warned him about the timeline, he knows the risks and won't take any crazy moves but he's going to place a bunch of documents in important places for his past self and certain VIPs with regards preparation for the Advent invasion."

"I've seen it coming."

"We lose." he muttered. "They have mystical allies, aliens who'd been hiding on the moon..."

He looked at Frostbite and narrowed his eyes. "...who you may have met?" He shook his head. "We're losing this fight. Saladin and your counterpart are tactical geniuses and have the benefit of having already done this on their Earth. They know the moves we make and how to counter them! Dawson came up with this plan but didn't let in on the details. I didn't have time to ask him, just split myself off, whisked him to the old Power Station where ley lines are particularly strong and sent him back. Even now I have to go, help my other selves..."

Battlebug shook his head "No! We need to help Dawson!"

"Kid, I'd love to help you out but if I don't stop this invasion you'll wake up in the morning with red skin and horns! The sky will be burning fire and hell on Earth will have arrived! There are a couple of friends of yours - Haunt and Steeplejack - who have been battling villains through time and are almost there. One last push and that might see Advent unable to move through time for good! Once that is done the only battle will be here and now, for us at least. The multiverse is infinite and in most of them ADVENT took over the Earth. Our world is holding out - for now."

"So ... Dawson is on his own?" muttered Battlebug.

White Warlock pondered. "No. Not completely. There is a risk. A great one, but I might be able to send one of you back in time to help him. It will drain the last of my powers and I will vanish but ..." he turned to Frostbite. "You are the only one I can trust to help Dawson. No respect to the kid here, or Wandafar or Yeoman or any others out there who I know and respect but this is a job for you, Frostbite. You've long been the British equivalent of Captain America and have stayed away from the spotlight not like those fools in the UKChampions. Watkins (Adjutant) got himself nearly killed going up against mystical forces and one of my selves keeps his form from dissipating completely until a cure can be found. Not a lot of people know that so don't spread it round but I'm spreading myself too thin here."

With a pained look he was helped to his feet. "Your call Frostbite. I send you back or I go, now. I'm spread too thin, too wide and I'm getting a battering."

As he spoke another bruise appeared on his face, and his nose started to bleed. "Advent..." he winced "Are setting up a machine to take them back to the exact time and place that Dawson went back to in order to stop him. I tried to stop them and you saw the results. They sent heavy hitters..."

"You can say that again..." muttered Battlebug.

"...which shows the importance of the task. It's so important that the one person I can send back has to be the right one. Beware though, there is something called the 'Time Dilation'. It's ... times way of correcting things and works in mysterious, unpredictable and chaotic ways. You may not have all the abilities you are used to is all I'm saying..."

Battlebug turned. "This guy is talking rubbish boss! Let's grab some others and get back to London! Let's beat those guys!"

White Warlock shook his head. "They'll already have more on the way. That place will be crawling with ADVENT and Eurotrash in minutes! Either I send you back..." he looked at Frostbite "...or you figure another way to fix all this and hope Dawson is successful in the past. Either way..." he started to shimmer, and become translucent "Nnngh! My other selves are taking a beating and I've run out of time!"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Mar 14 2023, 13:22

Admin wrote:

Battlebug turned. "This guy is talking rubbish boss! Let's grab some others and get back to London! Let's beat those guys!"
"

"No, sorry my friend its time to grow up and fast. I need these two safe and I need you to do it, because I can't trust anyone else to make sure they don't die. I've got to go back, and there isn't time for a debate. Make me proud, but stay out of trouble. I don't want Advent cloning you or anything worse!"

Admin wrote: White Warlock shook his head. "They'll already have more on the way. That place will be crawling with ADVENT and Eurotrash in minutes! Either I send you back..." he looked at Frostbite "...or you figure another way to fix all this and hope Dawson is successful in the past. Either way..." he started to shimmer, and become translucent "Nnngh! My other selves are taking a beating and I've run out of time!"

Quickly grabbing the Warlock Frostbite simply said,"DO it!"

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 16 2023, 10:47

Battlebug was about to reply but bit back the words and nodded. "I'll get these two some medical attention and talk to Wandafar. He's smart, he'll know what to do next."

The White Warlock turned and gestured, magic forming around his hands and the pair of once villains glowing. "One was dying from internal injuries. She is stabilised but needs medical care and bed rest. The other will wake with a bad headache for a day or two and bruises. Both will be fine."

White Warlock turned to Frostbite. "This is going to get weird. You are going back in time and to stop any messing about with the timeline you will reappear in your own body at that time! Try - as best you can - to do the things you did back then and be 'normal'. Find Dawson, help him, and get back to Battersea where the ley lines cross and I can do my thing. I'll send a message back to past me to keep an eye out. If Battersea isn't available, try Stonehenge or Caer Alwyn in... ah, you know where that is. Both strong places and not buried under metres of concrete like those heathens did at Battersea... Remember that you are going back and needing to recreate much of what you did or it will never have happened and people that you met, lives that you saved, will all be affected!"

Frostbot spoke up inside Frostbites mind 'I can guide you to certain aspects. In the time where you were sleeping or at rest we can work towards finding Dawson. By its very nature this is a mission that must be accomplished in as short a time as possible to avoid damage to the timelines.'

White Warlock put his arm on Frostbites other shoulder as Frostbite had on his. "Hold on."

"Boss! Wait I..." started Battlebug...

FWASH!

The world went white, too bright to see!

Then Frostbite blinked and his vision started to return...

There was noise, sound. A voice. His ears were ringing but died down and he heard...

"...whilst Adjutant of the UKChampions apologised for not personally intervening, stating 'Even I can't be in two places at once.'. When asked about the current government stance on outlawing any metahuman not registered with the authorities, regardless of their stance to uphold or break the law, Adjutant could only give a no comment. It is this reporters' opinion, however, that Adjutant and others of the officially sanctioned UKChampions would welcome such..."

Flick.

"..Still no word on the missing UKChampion Cut-Lass, otherwise known as Angela Carter-Jones, former television presenter. It's reported that 'All efforts are being made' to track both her and her kidnapped family members down. When asked about the reported assistance of unsanctioned Superheroes a government source replied 'If metahumans act on their own accord they are part of the problem, not the solution.' In a rare' albeit brief, statement to the press, the vigilante known as 'Nowhere Man' said 'She's one of ours. We look out for each other, regardless of what the idiots in Whitehall say. Now get the camera out of my <BLEEP> face.' Apologies for the loss of vision on that last report. By all reports Nowhere Man possesses superhuman abilities that render him invisible to recording..."

Flick.

"..now to the scene where Police have cordoned off the area. To repeat, metahuman criminals have stolen what is believed to be nuclear material and have been tracked to the derelict Battersea power station in London. No news as yet as to the whereabouts of the  UKChampions after they were called to deal with the rampage of the terrifying Metahuman known as 'Tank Man' in Manchester. SMITE are said to be on the scene and have warned all civilians to stay well clear as metahumans are known to be involved..."

Joseph Rigdon sat in his living room and held a remote control in his hand.

This was another life, another world. He'd inhabited Joseph Hoskyn after an excursion to World War 2 and ... focus!

Joe looked about. He was in his old flat in London. Pokey, but that was all he could afford. He'd ... he'd just woken up from a week long coma. His land lady had let herself in after he'd 'gone silent' and called an Ambulance apparently. The incident that had granted him his powers...

This was... years ago. He was just starting out.

Joe stood, looking down at himself. T-shirt, jeans, trainers. He felt under the shirt. The blue dome was there. With a thought he activated it and the blue shone from under his shirt.

'Scanning.' said Frostbot. 'Fascinating. The White Warlocks abilities defy all scientific explanation. Scanning physical and mental functions. You have the abilities you started out with as a metahuman. They are greatly reduced from the abilities you now have as a result of the upgrade from the rogue Dark Powers that recruited you to save the universe. However you have knowledge, experience, expertise now that you did not have then as a starting hero. I suggest you pretend to be a neophyte and head to Battersea power station but use your increased knowledge and experience to quickly bring a conclusion to the confrontation that saw your debut as a Superhero.'

'Warning: Nowhere Man will possibly detect your true nature given that his own is to exist simultaneously across space and time amongst multiple versions of himself much like the all powerful villain known as NEXUS, the Ultrahumans nemesis. I cannot predict his reaction, but James Caldwell is - inherently - a good man who was steered onto a track which ignores the law and due process, driven by tragedy and the life he made for himself.'

'You need only be yourself. As Frostbite you have consistently made the right decisions for the good of the country and the people you protect. The people love you, or will in time. The press will come to revere you and you will in time be known as the Premier Superhero in the United Kingdom. You take little notice of social media affairs but I know all this to be true. Besides, Wandafar keeps a hidden scrapbook of your triumphs and thinks nobody else notices.'

'Whilst you are in this timeline it might be prudent to track down Reflex and... warn her of an event in her future that might see you accomplish the task of rescuing her on the moon.'

Joe blinked. Wasn't that... changing the future? His future? And yet... he was selfless, self sacrificing. Didn't he deserve to get something out of this fools errand, even if it didn't benefit him directly? It wasn't like he was going to place bets on the horses or anything to...

'I have extensive knowledge of sporting events and if you need access to large amounts of money for any reason that can be recalled for moral objectives.' stated Frostbot.

'Right now the UKChampions are in Manchester trying to stop the rampage of Tank-Man, a powerful rogue metahuman. The UK has enacted the 'Transparency' act, so named because the situation has arisen about too many 'masks' running riot and having no accountability. The people are scared and so the Government acted. All superhumans must register with the Governmental authorities and not use metahuman abilities without authorisation. Any who do not are labelled outlaws and enemies of the state. The Press is mixed on this. The Right Wing side back it, the left, in the minority, do not. Public opinion is split. The 'angry man in the street' snarls and spits that 'no one should be above the law. Who do they think we are? Gods?' whilst the more considered response is that super heroes put their lives on the line to help people and need masks to preserve their anonymity to keep their loved ones safe.'

'This last argument held more weight when Angela Carter-Jones, Cut-Lass, revealed her identity and villains kidnapped her and her family. At this time they are still missing. That situation does not end well and Miss Carter-Jones, a well known television personality at this time, never recovers from the horrible experience.'

'Your objectives right now as I see them:'

• Get to Battersea power station. Stop Vitesse, Chevalier Noir, Matador and the terrorists. In the process you will meet Stormwarden, Nowhere Man, Yeoman and Adjutant for the first time. SMITE are on the scene with their 'Agent 71'. Superhumans are OUTLAWS unless registered with SMITE. The UKChampions are the only recognised and authorised Superhero group and are much reduced in numbers as many refused to reveal their identities. Some 'revealed it for them' and are pariahs in the heroic community.

• Once the Eurotrash are stopped we must find Commander Dawson or his younger self at this time. By his age he must be in the armed forces as a special operative, possibly SAS or equivalent. He must be helped to deliver the messages that will outline the plans to defeat Eurotrash and ADVENT in the future.

• ADVENT are making arrangements to go back in time and stop Dawson by all means necessary. Because your identity is a secret you are not in danger from their meddling but all those who revealed their superhuman identities are. ADJUTANT, the UKs most powerful operative in this time, is known as Albert Watkins but is too powerful for ADVENT to affect. They may send superhuman operatives but are limited because of the efforts involved to send anyone back.

• A side quest may be to alert Stephanie Miller who will in time become REFLEX. I can use various methods to track her down.

• Catherine Stowe is known as CAPTAIN ION in this time still has her superhuman abilities which she loses at some point. Her romantic attachment to you is not yet established but the natural chemistry may allow you to build a rapport. WANDAFAR is and always will be you ally as will JUSTIN ST JOHN. Others that you know of might be called upon but be careful not to reveal your future knowledge or how you know them. You are just starting out.

• In America Thomas 'Tommy' Watts died in the line of combat in Chicago, killed by a mind controlled team mate. It drives the youngster William Watts to become Battlebug. At this time he has no superhuman abilities. Timmy Jones is still a superhero as this time, albeit washed up and reduced to performing at childrens parties with his animated toys after several notable (and painful) public thrashings at the hands of Super-Villains.

OOC Phew! That took some writing out! You are (compared to your current self) much reduced in power BUT you know how to use them all and have years of experience so are starting out but with a massive boost compared to when you started. In the next post I will stat up a version of your original GH character sheet but in current game terms. The stats will reflect years of experience and growth but the powers will be the same as you had at this time!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Mar 21 2023, 13:31

[quote="Admin"]
OOC Phew! That took some writing out! You are (compared to your current self) much reduced in power BUT you know how to use them all and have years of experience so are starting out but with a massive boost compared to when you started. In the next post I will stat up a version of your original GH character sheet but in current game terms. The stats will reflect years of experience and growth but the powers will be the same as you had at this time!

OOC: Wow that did take a lot of setting up. But it also lays the possible foundation for a different campaign going forward. I love the idea of Frostbite going back to his earlier days, but his earliest debut with his wind wipe and other stuff was a disaster. I seem to remember fighting a foe, a robot I think, who was in danger of trashing me. Anyway, be interesting to see how you stat me out for this era.

OK so prime objective is to get to Battersea and stop Eurotrash, find our where Dawson is and warn him. Adjunct to that is finding Steph and warning her of the future situation. And in addition possible speaking to Timmy (I 'd love to see him reformed before we get into the Quantum verse world) and getting to speak to Catherine, Wandafar and Justin St John's. Phew not small order without drastically affecting the time line so that the future is reset to something like it was, rather than so altered it looks like nothing I left or knew.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Apr 04 2023, 19:31

FROSTBITE activated his fluid form... and nothing happened.

Frowning, he iced up instead and crunched his way across the wooden floor to the window, popped it open and glanced about. He'd never had superhuman senses as such, not like his buddy Lionheart anyway. Instead he could detect body heat, or could. Now he couldn't. He frowned. This was him as he was. Aside from having greater combat skill, experience and determination than he'd had when first starting out, he was for all intents and purposes, Frostbite as he, Joe Rigdon, had been starting out.

He remembered the nightmarish things going on. The press were deeply divided for and against the Superheroes/Outlaws and the police were similarly torn. The older cops had grown to rely on the help from 'Masks' and the younger ones were ordered to shoot on sight, because anyone in a mask could be friend or foe.

Into that mix Frostbites often ally and - dare he say - friend Nowhere Man generally did his own thing and ignored things like law, due process and the need for evidence. Many of the villains he put away walked free despite the justice system knowing how guilty they were.

Nowhere Man didn't seem to mind - it gave him another excuse to hunt them down and give them an awful beating again.

So, what did he have that he could use? He shook his thoughts free and remembered back to a time when he just started out...

Flight - he could fly at about 250-300mph. Maybe a little faster. Passenger Jet fast rather than fighter jet.

Strength - he was slightly stronger than the average adult. That was it. A far cry from being able to heft a supertanker! He smiled to himself. He'd rely on his ice hard fists rather than strength.

Weather Control - He cringed. It was one of those abilities that he'd not used for a while and back in the day his buddy Stormwarden was better at it than he was. Stormwarden... what would he say to Guy St Ives? He had to play it cool. They'd not met. Yet.

His weather whip was a lash of intensified air which could inflict non lethal damage, paralysing with a numbing shock.

In terms of durability his ultra hard icy form was resistant enough to deflect conventional arms like bullets and even hand grenades. Villains who could punch through a bank vault door were another matter of course...

With the coast seemingly clear the hero flew into the night sky. One thing that he retained was the artificial intelligence that was a part of him. Frostbot overlayed a compass direction and distance to the old Battersea power station. There'd been talking of changing it into a shopping mall, housing and the like but that hadn't happened either in this time or his own, in the future.

He ignored the other head up displays of wind speed, humidity and the like. He did miss not being able to switch to thermal vision and see heat sources in the dark ... he'd just have to make do with what he had.

=========

He chuckled to himself. The first time he'd done this, he'd gotten there via pushbike...

Ahead the traffic intensified, although many of the cars were locked up and abandoned. At the Chelsea Bridge up ahead police have cordoned off the road. They look like they mean business, with several armed officers patrolling about and normal traffic police keeping crowds of people back. It seems even with the threat of nuclear waste being released there are still those curious - or stupid enough - to see what's going on.

OOC It's 1745, November 2009 in our time so a few years on from then (I never specified, just 'a few years in the future')

Up ahead he saw a bank of fog in the darkness. Given that the forecast was a crisp, clear, cold night the fog might have risen from the river... or might indicate Stormwarden was somewhere nearby...

OOC How you going to play this? Classic Hero vs Hero conflict before the misunderstanding is sorted out or seek out Stormwarden from a distance and approach in a friendly manner... In the past you got close to the site and transformed into Frostbite before 'probing' at the Fog with your own Weather Control... and coming up short. Grade 1 vs Grade 3, no contest!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Apr 05 2023, 08:25

[quote="Admin"]FROSTBITE activated his fluid form... and nothing happened.

Up ahead he saw a bank of fog in the darkness. Given that the forecast was a crisp, clear, cold night the fog might have risen from the river... or might indicate Stormwarden was somewhere nearby...

OOC How you going to play this? Classic Hero vs Hero conflict before the misunderstanding is sorted out or seek out Stormwarden from a distance and approach in a friendly manner... In the past you got close to the site and transformed into Frostbite before 'probing' at the Fog with your own Weather Control... and coming up short. Grade 1 vs Grade 3, no contest!

Assuming things went down in this part as he remembered them, he could take advantage of that prior knowledge to circumvent an unnecessary fight with Stormwarden or indeed anyone whom he knew to be an ally. With his weakened position and the need to find Dawson, pronto. The last thing he needed to do was to compromise himself especially as he was far less durable than at any other time since. This was him just starting out.

OOC: OK so knowing roughly where Stormwarden will be or where he was I will aim to get there. But first scout the area to make sure I am not being gazumped by events unfolding that I had not accounted for or didn't have prior knowledge about. My plan is to avoid battle, if I remember correctly in my first fight (with some robot I think) I did so badly I was in danger of being one shotted almost from the start.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Apr 10 2023, 16:17

FROSTBITE thought back to a time when his world hadn't included dark powers, genius Dwarf inventor friends, ultra powerful teenagers with a chip on their shoulder or team mates snatched and held captive on the moon by magic wielding enemies too powerful to fight.

He groaned inwardly. Steph... Reflex... Stay focused! He shook his head and swooped about.

Stormwarden was a far better manipulator of Weather Effects than he'd ever been - that was Guys' 'thing'. Guy. Ah yes, they hadn't met at this point and neither would know who the other was.

He swooped up and looked down. The site of the old power station was covered in a 'ball' of thick fog hundreds of yards across, along and high. That was Stormwarden. If he recalled his friend could also 'sense' movements in the fog though at this stage it was more of a feeling that someone was disturbing it rather than anything definite. He wondered if Guy ever developed that power further but such thoughts could wait.

Intangible, the hero plunged into the fog from below then turned tangible...

Without his thermal vision he was blind in here. Best he could do was let gravity determine which way was down and head up if he needed to see again.

"Shhhh. Keep the noise down." had been the first words Stormwarden had ever said to him! Yes! That would...

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..." - Page 6 Sgtormwarden

"You have two seconds to identify yourself before I knock you into next week mate!" snarled a voice behind Frostbite! He spun and saw a person he'd not seen in years! Though the fog was thick visibility was ok for a few feet. Stormwarden was certainly in fist swinging range and with that mighty strength of his, a punch would hurt!

Stormwarden was as big as he remembered. That strange gold/purple suit would look ludicrous on anyone else but a six and a half foot man with biceps like tree trunks demanded to be taken more seriously!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Apr 11 2023, 12:40

Admin wrote:FROSTBITE

"You have two seconds to identify yourself before I knock you into next week mate!" snarled a voice behind Frostbite! He spun and saw a person he'd not seen in years! Though the fog was thick visibility was ok for a few feet. Stormwarden was certainly in fist swinging range and with that mighty strength of his, a punch would hurt!

Holding his hands up in what he hoped was still a universal sign of meaning no harm, Frostbite spoke.
"Woah big fella" Frostbite said, only to aware that his power levels would make this a one sided fight if it came down to that. "My name is Frostbite, but I'm an ally to those who still feel their is a future worth saving and fighting here in the UK. Let alone for the ordinary people who often suffer when so called Super Villains play catch with cars or bank vaults. Who are you, stranger and what brings you here, if I may ask?"

OOC: Hopefully I've done and said enough to get us off to a good start whereby we can exchange intel and go on to make a difference here.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Apr 13 2023, 14:38

STORMWARDEN and FROSTBITE in the past!

The huge fellow in the purple and gold frowned underneath his hood. "Can't be too careful." he growled. "The Government has declared anyone in a mask or with powers as outlaws so that means you could be a friend... or an enemy. Time will tell."

"You obviously have super powers." he said, nodding that Frostbite was flying and had seemingly appeared out of thin air to his 'fog sense' which acted like a strange kind of sonar to anyone inside his weather effects.

"What say we take a closer look down there at what's going on. You take the lead..." he suggested. Trust might be hard to come by it seemed...

Suddenly the pair heard shouts out from the fog bound power station.

They were speaking in ... French?

Then "HALT!" came an accented shout in English. "OR WE SHOOT!"

Frostbot translated the basic words. A more detailed conversation would require a program upgrade
(OOC the power Comprehend Languages...)
but for basic phrases most people would grasp anyway Frostbot was sufficient.

Before Joe could chime back with a retort, the RATATATATATATATATA! of automatic fire rang out, though most of it was over his head by a fair way and somewhere to his left, then his right...

"That direction." pointed Stormwarden. Though the fog was thick he was close enough to pick out. "My name is Stormwarden. Should be self explanatory. I control the weather and anything moving inside MY fog... I know about it." He missed off that Frostbite had apparently 'vanished' from his sight again as he'd become intangible once more!

The gunfire hadn't been aimed at the costumed pair in the sky it seemed, but sprayed randomly about as a warning.

"There's quite a few of them, all armed and dressed in combat gear. I counted 22, maybe 23 from the air before I had to thicken up the cloud again. No idea who's inside." said Stormwarden. "On the roof, aiming at the Police and whoever else has turned up."

He growled "If you aren't on my side - the side that wants to put those guys down for the count and save hostages, you better 'fess up now. I don't take well to being betrayed..." snarled Stormwarden, fists clenched.

Frostbite had experience as a leader, a hero and a human being. Rather than threat he sensed nerves coming from Stormwarden as well he might. The pair of them had just woken from a week long coma and been discharged from hospital only to find a few hours later that they had superhuman abilities and had been changed, with no idea how or why. Now only a day or two after that, they were investigating this terrorist incident and as likely to be arrested or fired upon by the authorities as the bad guys!

Britain at this time was extremely nervous about the costumed supers in their midst and very distrustful - a series of high profile attacks and disasters involving supers had shattered confidence. The revealing of the UKChampions secret identities to restore trust had backfired in a huge way of course with Cut-Lass being kidnapped along with her family. The popular superheroine - in and out of the mask - was something of a media darling and the outrage only added to the public sense that anyone with super powers was above the law and could act with impunity!

Therefore SMITE was - right now - an enemy! His friend Dawson wasn't in SMITE yet as far as he knew and would be focused on his own mission. To help him Frostbite had to be himself - a hero. Thankfully he'd been doing that a LONG time, much longer than Stormwarden beside him in the fog above Battersea Power Station! Would Stormwarden take well to being led though?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Apr 17 2023, 09:40

Admin wrote:STORMWARDEN and FROSTBITE in the past!

He growled "If you aren't on my side - the side that wants to put those guys down for the count and save hostages, you better 'fess up now. I don't take well to being betrayed..." snarled Stormwarden, fists clenched.

Right now Frostbite had enough on his hands, with diminished powers and huge challenges ahead. He wasn't going to win Stormwarden over by trying to prove he was a friend and ordering him about. Leadership wasn't just a position one gained it was one earned. He had to build Stormwarden's trust or he might rightly question who he thought he was. That didn't mean he couldn't lead by suggestion.

"I'm with you, lead on. Though I'm guessing with this fog up and your senses within it we can seek to take these guys down by stealthily creeping up on them. Perhaps if we can see what they are using to communicate we can also listen in. And distract them with that? What do you think?"

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Apr 24 2023, 21:46

STORMWARDEN and FROSTBITE in the Past!

Stormwarden considered "So long as I maintain my fog they'll be firing blind unless they have some means of seeing in it." He chuckled "It wasn't in the forecast on the six o clock news so I guess they aren't prepared."

Before he continues he adds "How handy are you? You can fly, and seemingly be invisible to my fog which is... disconcerting. What else can you do? Strong? Fast? That icy form of yours tough? What I'm asking is, do I have to nursemaid you or can you hold your own?"

OOC Presumably Frostbite gives an answer...

Storrmwarden grunted and pointed into the fog. "Stay close. First gunman on the roof. That way. He'll see us within ten feet and I would rather not tip him off that this is anything but a natural fog. If you have any means of taking him out quietly I'm all ears. More importantly we don't want to tip off his buddies or they'll start shooting hostages."

The pair drifted closer to the main building. The old power station was a huge place and the guards were fairly spread out according to Stormwarden who could see perfectly well in the fog.

Whispering, he points. Frostbite sees only blank white, and can't see much beyond the length of his arm!

"First guy. On the roof. Got some kind of machine gun, probably a cheap Russian AK47. I think I should be ok if I get shot but would rather not find out. It's one of those things that you can't quite prepare for. Got a mate to whack me with a piece of woo. He didn't want to until I told him I'd been doing Martial Arts and could stop it as a trick. He was reluctant but gave a good swing and... not a mark. That's the extent of my testing. Guns aren't over the shelf items in the United Kingdom, thankfully!"

OOC Frostbite would be firing blind unless he gets up close and personal with the terrorist who is stood on the corner of the roof. The roof is sloped but has and area about ten feet around that is flat with a low wall for maintenance and drainage. That said, you can't see that at the moment either!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Apr 26 2023, 08:30

[quote="Admin"]
OOC Frostbite would be firing blind unless he gets up close and personal with the terrorist who is stood on the corner of the roof. The roof is sloped but has and area about ten feet around that is flat with a low wall for maintenance and drainage. That said, you can't see that at the moment either!

Frostbite gave consideration to the problem. Stealth wasn't so much his thing, but with his ability to become ghostlike and intangible he might be able to 'sneak' up on the guard and so take him out before he could raise the alarm.

He explained his plan to Stormwarden.

OOC: OK Frostbite looks for a way to ghost through the place where the man/men are standing and try and take them out from where they'd least expect it.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 02 2023, 15:58

Stormwarden considered. "Well, I can keep this place white out for..." he shrugged. "Quite a while. Enough time for you to flit about and take the guards out on the roof. From there we can take a look inside the building...?"

"Besides. Aside from moving through my fog without a ripple" Stormwarden sounded slightly miffed at that! "...I want to know what else you can do! If things go south I will use some of my other powers."

He waved a hand. "Over to you, but remember to keep it quiet!"

OOC Frostbite is intangible but not invisible! However! You have the skill of Thief:2 which adds 2D12 to the dice pool (meaning you roll four dice and pick the best two) when trying to sneak about vs Perception checks of the goons on the roof. Your best weapon is your Paralysis Whip or (against these normal guys) your 'ordinary' (but still benchpress around 300lbs) Strength. You can also (whilst iced up) whack someone with a super hard covering of ice (Effect Value 6 whilst your Strength score is Effect Value 3). Your phasing (Dispersal) power is your deadliest attack which allows you to phase inside of someone. That is a killing combat attack though, unheroic (and out of character for Frosty) and results in the loss of all Hero Points for such a noble/heroic character! So it's off the table unless you get desperate I'm guessing...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed May 03 2023, 07:56

Admin wrote:Stormwarden considered. "Well, I can keep this place white out for..." he shrugged. "Quite a while. Enough time for you to flit about and take the guards out on the roof. From there we can take a look inside the building...?"

"Besides. Aside from moving through my fog without a ripple" Stormwarden sounded slightly miffed at that! "...I want to know what else you can do! If things go south I will use some of my other powers."

He waved a hand. "Over to you, but remember to keep it quiet!"

OOC Frostbite is intangible but not invisible! However! You have the skill of Thief:2 which adds 2D12 to the dice pool (meaning you roll four dice and pick the best two) when trying to sneak about vs Perception checks of the goons on the roof. Your best weapon is your Paralysis Whip or (against these normal guys) your 'ordinary' (but still benchpress around 300lbs) Strength. You can also (whilst iced up) whack someone with a super hard covering of ice (Effect Value 6 whilst your Strength score is Effect Value 3). Your phasing (Dispersal) power is your deadliest attack which allows you to phase inside of someone. That is a killing combat attack though, unheroic (and out of character for Frosty) and results in the loss of all Hero Points for such a noble/heroic character! So it's off the table unless you get desperate I'm guessing...

OOC: OK I will try to use the buildings and natural barriers ghosting through them to arrive as close to or on the blindside of the goons hanging about. I don't know if my stun whip makes a noise, so unless its silent will use hand to hand, seeking to be quick, efficient and as soundless as possible. I will also relieve the first man of coms so we can listen in and if need be divert our assailants.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 03 2023, 11:14

FROSTBITE appreciated his 'phasing' power as he was no better than anyone else at seeing in the fog.

His friend - Stormwarden - was naturally suspicious but hopefully this would break the ice. The big man could see just fine through his own fog so would watch Frostbite. That meant he had to make this good...

Starting as he 'bumped' into a wall with an arm and poked through it, he followed it up slowly and stopped at the very top. the old power station was a massive place. Only twenty feet away one of the guards was peering into the fog, AK47 ready. Someone else was popping random shots off into the fog to keep the Police at bay.

"Garde tes yeux ouverts! Il n'y avait pas de prévision de brouillard ce soir ! Tous ceux que vous voyez, tirez !" he hissed into the radio.

Once he'd spoken Frostbite glided through the fog and tried to pick an angle to come up behind the fellow...

OOC
Int 2 + 2d12+0 3,5+0 = 8 (10) vs
Dex 8 + Thief 2D + 4d12+0 9,8,12,2+0 = 21 (29)

Guard fails to spot Frostbite

Coming up behind in the fog Frostbite makes his hand solid - the rest of him phased - and sheathed in steel hard ice!

OOC Dex 8 + 4d12+0 4,3,2,3+0 = 6 DOUBLE plus 2d12+0 7,6+0 = 19 (21) vs
OV3 - Blindside 2 + 2d12+0 5,6+0 = 11 (12)

Success +4

EV6 +4 (EV10) vs RV3=7 RAPs. The Goon is DOWN and OUT!

However, he's also about to fly off the roof!

Dex 8 + 2d12+0 9,2+0 = 11 (19) vs
OV4 + 2d12+0 9,1+0 = 10 (14)

Success!

Frostbite grabs the fellow before he falls off the roof and makes sure he's out - he sure is. He'll be out for over an hour at least!

"Nice." said Stormwarden, drifting in. He watched as Frostbite put the earpiece in and hooked the radio on his belt. "What good is that? Do you speak French?"

OOC pause for reply then...

"The real test will be inside." he whispered. "I think I overheard the name 'Eurotrash'. Don't know much about them apart from what was in the papers and on the news. European supers. Mercenaries. Out for themselves, for the highest bidder... rob banks, kidnap people... I wouldn't be surprised if they were behind what happened to Cut-Lass."

Cut-lass, aka Angela Carter-Jones (famous TV host) had been targeted when Adjutant and others revealed their identities as part of the government initiative. Frostbite knew that scenario didn't end well. Cut-Lass would retire from public life after her family was murdered. Despite all their power and the variety of their abilities the UKChampions would be stretched too thin and fighting against not only villains but heroes made the United Kingdom a battleground with families and friends divided whilst the bad guys ran rings around the authorities!

"How are we going to play this? There are skylights there but they look too crusted and dusted up to see through. Dive in guns blazing or try to be sneaky about it?" asked Stormwarden.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun May 07 2023, 14:26

Admin wrote:Cut-lass, aka Angela Carter-Jones (famous TV host) had been targeted when Adjutant and others revealed their identities as part of the government initiative. Frostbite knew that scenario didn't end well. Cut-Lass would retire from public life after her family was murdered. Despite all their power and the variety of their abilities the UKChampions would be stretched too thin and fighting against not only villains but heroes made the United Kingdom a battleground with families and friends divided whilst the bad guys ran rings around the authorities!

"How are we going to play this? There are skylights there but they look too crusted and dusted up to see through. Dive in guns blazing or try to be sneaky about it?" asked Stormwarden.

"Sneaky for now. Eurotrash is a very loose affiliation. They more often than not fall out with one another, unless presented with a common enemy. If they are involved its only money that is keeping them together. They will have no real honour among themselves, which we might be able to use against them. But for now, we have the element of surprise I'd not want to throw that away just yet."

OOC: OK lets proceed with caution and see what we can see. I will stealth as best I can and use dispersal the rest of the time.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 10 2023, 23:19

"Right you are. I guess you are as new to this as I am and..." Stormwarden trailed off. He looked out in the fog.

Frostbite followed his look.

"What?"

Stormwarden frowned beneath the hood. "Something is messing with my fog. It's like... it's swirling about in a straight line, moving. Something is moving in the fog. Something fast!"

Something fast in the fog?

Frostbot jogged his memory. 'That would be Vitesse. You encountered the French speedster on your first outing. He will be accompanied somewhere by Chevalier Noir, Dominator and Matador. None of those villains would prove to be a challenge in your future self but with your current limited capabilities... this is a time before you were enhanced by the so called 'dark power' remember so your strength and power levels are much reduced. Note also that you are to not reveal your true nature as a time traveller for fear of upsetting the timeline. As it is things may have changed by the time you return...'

"Don't know how he sees in my fog, but it's just ordinary fog like you might get on the river in London. I can really pea soup it up but only locally around me it seems." said Stormwarden. "Need more practise. Huh. There he goes again. Man, he's fast! I can barely keep up where he's been never mind where he is right now!"

"Ces rochers et les d?combres font ma vitesse difficile!" declared a thickly accented French voice from somewhere only twenty or thirty feet away!

"Something about rocks. I think." muttered Stormwarden. "Get ready!" he suggested as he moved to the edge of the building only feet away and looked down.

"There!" he pointed then groaned. "He was there. Guy in a dark blue jumpsuit with a lightning flash up the sides. I don't know where he ..."

He turned as did Frostbite.

There on the roof about fifteen feet away stood Vitesse!

OOC I don't think I ever managed to knock out pictures of the bad guys in the early days. It was a time when heromachine was somewhat iffy.

Huh, got it working. Bit of a faff, had to use Wayback machine on the Adobe website but here you go. It will suffice anyway...

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..." - Page 6 Vitesse-pic

"How...?" spluttered Stormwarden. "How did you get up here Frenchy?"

"Ey! EY! Eeenglish pig! Where you goin' ah? You cannot escape VITESSE! I run so fast... across water, up walls..." came a thickly accented - and reeking of onions - shout from the French mercenary.

"Ooo are you two supposed to be, eh? 'Heroes'?" He laughed. "When ze fog clears ze cops will be shooting at you too!" he laughed.

He was right. It was a dangerous time to wear a mask. Whilst Frostbite never courted the spotlight like the UKChampions had done he'd built up a reputation and respect over time that meant whenever he looked at the front pages of the newspapers or watched the TV the chances were a news bulletin would offer some snippet of his exploits. Thankfully he was too busy to notice most of the time...

Frostbite glanced about. The others wouldn't be far behind.

Stormwarden popped his knuckles and rolled his neck. "Let's get to it Frenchy lad! I ain't got all day!" he hissed with a fierce grin on his face. "You up for it?" he asked of Frostbite with a glance.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu May 11 2023, 15:25

Admin wrote:Stormwarden popped his knuckles and rolled his neck. "Let's get to it Frenchy lad! I ain't got all day!" he hissed with a fierce grin on his face. "You up for it?" he asked of Frostbite with a glance.

Inwardly Frostbite groaned. Stormwarden was potent, no doubt. But slow, and this speedster would run rings around them. Not to mention the others who would surround them and then pound them. Frostbite and Stormwarden had to reduce the Frenchman's speed. BUt could they do that?

"If we reduce his speed, say by means of freezing, we might slow him down and then be able to get a decent bead on him. Do you have anything in your bag of tricks?"

OOC: I don't seem to have the earliest character sheet on this computer and I'm not able to access my other computer yet. So I have no idea what powers I did have. But do I have any cold like abilities that might help here? Otherwise I am reduced to trying to snap him with my whip or hit him with a right hook, assuming I can even connect.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon May 15 2023, 12:19

OOC Arrrgh. Retyping after a misclick and lost the whole lot!

Right, short version: Character Sheets!

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..." - Page 6 FROSTBITE-GH-original-I-think

2009 Vintage, no flight, super strength, stretching (?) don't ever remember that getting used. Golden Heroes/Squadron UK rules (was there any difference?)

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..." - Page 6 Frosty-updated-IN-THE-PAST

DC Heroes/Blood of Heroes with some changes. Stretching gone, Flight appears. The powers are:

Dispersal - Phasing. Not complete immunity to attacks, a sufficiently powerful punch or blast can affect him, but against most (and certainly bullets, grenades, swords etc) it should allow you to ignore them.

Flight - up to around 3-400mph speed, as fast as a passenger plane

Interface - Frostbots ability to talk to other computers

Recall - remembering things. Frostbot again.

Power Reserve - you guessed it, Frostbot. Boosts his mental stats to 10/9/10

Weather Control 8 - it's ok for small local weather changes in the immediate vicinity, somewhat lower than Stormwardens

Paralysis - the Stun whip which is his main attack when he started out

icing - cover himself with a sheet of hard ice like Iceman. Noisy when he walks with ice cracking and crunching constantly. When he punches he can use this (6) instead of his athletic man strength of 3 to knock bad guys out.

Skin Armour - makes his skin harder to penetrate (boosting his resistance to 11) which is pretty good against bullets, swords, grenades etc as well but not as good as Dispersal. 'Always on'.

Because I don't always have reliable internet at work (York is hopeless. I got better signal out in the middle of nowhere while on Freight. Cities like Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds are all better) I sometimes can't update so type up a few ideas and notes for an easier to understand Supers game which I hope we might try out one day. D6 based, needs a dice roller (a LOT of D6 are rolled) and combat is pretty fast. Nowhere near done but if I get a chance I'll think up a character sheet for that for Frosty for comparison. It's based on an old Diceless Marvel RPG called Marvel Universe RPG and married up to Tunnels and Trolls (!) in that Combat lumps in a bunch of statistics/attributes into one dice pool, you roll that and compare to the enemy. Highest wins and inflicts damage, ties are, well, a tie and no one suffers. That means someone always hits (never had a tie yet) and combat zips along in play by post.

Anyway, the rules aren't anywhere near finished (just in my head, but the how to do stuff and combat bits are done) and here is a first stab at Frostbite in the (as yet untitled) Supers game I scribble in my spare time:

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..." - Page 6 Frostbite-doha1

What this means...

Statistics (Strength, Dex, Perception, Luck, IQ, Charisma, Will, Constitution) are kind of self explanatory. Average Human adult is 2 and low Superhuman is 4. For a Marvel Superheroes (The TSR game) equivalent a score of 4 would be Remarkable or thereabouts, 3 would be good-excellent.

Abilities are your Statistics (as above), Actions (which are super powers and 'super talents' like Archery for Hawkeye. He does things so much better than any Olympian he can't be considered unpowered, Captain America & Batmans fighting skill (which is Close Combat. Each would have a score of 7 which replaces their strength in combat so they punch WAY above their weight) and so on) and Modifiers (things which don't fit into the other categories).

Talents are weaker skills which add something but aren't as good as Actions. For instance if Frostbite had a talent for leadership it would add +1 to +3 depending on how good he is. He has a Leadership Action which adds whole dice to whenever he commands a battlefield, not just +2 or +3 (if he were a General, say) to a Charisma check. A General might have Charisma 3 and roll 3D6 + their talent (+2 or +3 probably) whilst Frostbite rolls his Charisma 5D6 and his Leadership 5D6 then picks the best five dice out, discarding the rest. Every day of the week (and twice on Sundays) Frostbite is a better leader than any army general!

When you check something, you roll D6s equal to Stat/Action/Modifier. A roll of 1 is bad and you add an extra die that reduces from your total (we call this implode). A roll of 6 is good. That adds an extra die to your total (we call this Explode). Implodes and Explodes cancel each other out on a 1:1 basis so rolling three 1s and two 6s mean you have 1 implode left over and roll another D6 to reduce your total.

Example:

Frostbite climbs a wall (using Dexterity 3). Roll is 3d6 which come up 2,5,1 = 8 and one implode (that 1). That comes up with 1d6=3 so his total is 8-3=5.

Compare that against the Target number (7) and Frostbite fails to get over the wall. He'll just fly over it instead!

Combat is similar. Roll Melee dice vs Opponents Melee dice. Roll extra dice for any 1s/6s that come up and compare the two totals. Highest wins and the difference is inflicted as damage.

Combining a Statistic, Action and/or Modifier gets a little trickier. One (usually the highest) is the Primary ability. All others are the Secondary ability. You roll dice for them all, then pick out a number of dice equal to your Primary Ability and discard the rest. Basically like we do with our current game. Your skills allow extra dice to be rolled for Martial Artist, Detective etc and roll a bunch of D12s picking out the best two and discarding the rest.

Example:

Frostbite is on the battlefield against those finks of Eurotrash. Battlebug is jumping about, laughing and punching bad guys as usual but there is a bomb that needs disposing of and the youngster is oblivious. Frostbites bellows across the Battlefield in his most commanding voice to "BBug! Get the bomb out of here! We have only seconds left!"

This is a Charisma check but he also has Leadership 5 which combines. Both are score 5 so Leadership (which can be used as the Primary Ability) becomes a Secondary ability. Roll 10D6 (the two combined) and pick out the best five dice to use, discarding the rest.

Roll 10d6
6,5,6,3,2,3,5,2,6,1+0 = 28 with three explodes which come up with 3d6 results 6,2,5+0 = 13 (explodes don't keep exploding or imploding or you'll be rolling forever!) which gives a total of 41.

The GM assigned a target number of 21 which this easily exceeds and as a bonus the Vanguard all hear the Leaders shout and get a free secondary die in their attack this round equal to every full 6 points Frostbite exceeded the target number (so that will be three free secondary dice this round which Reflex, Timmy Jones, Atomica and whoever else is on the team at that time can call on). That sort of leadership (5 points with a very high Charisma score) is invaluable. Frostbite is up there, with possibly only Captain America, Cyclops and a few other 'born leader' types out there who can say they are as good.

With such a great result Billy twitches, hears his boss and lets go of the brutish bad guy he's beating on then bounds over to where the bomb is hidden. He bounces away and hurls it into space (and gets an extra free three dice from his leader whilst doing it!).

Karma works like a free Secondary ability for everything the character does. Spend Karma, roll free extra dice to hopefully get 6s and ditch nasty 1s. When it's all spent it gets recharged by your Will score in between adventures (or more likely chapters of an adventure, breaking up the adventure into smaller bits).

For example:

Frostbite lashes out with his paralysis (freezing) whip on a cable holding up a lift. He rolls his Paralysis dice (4) and spends six karma to roll six extra dice so ten dice in total. He picks out the best four dice (his Paralysis whip) to use and discards the rest. Let's hope it's good enough to freeze the cable, drop the lift onto the bad guy coming up and buy him time to get the kids out of the fiery building!

As I say it's playable in the sense that I can write up characters and explain what the powers do (most are self explanatory after years of playing DC Heroes/Blood of Heroes and Golden Heroes) but not done in the sense that I can hand out rules and say 'make a character and we'll play'. A pet project, but one I hope to finish one day.

Oh, and to see all the pictures you may need to scroll in/out holding control and wheeling your mouse up and down to suit, if you are anything like me and posting on a laptop...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue May 16 2023, 12:16

[quote="Admin"]
OOC Arrrgh. Retyping after a misclick and lost the whole lot!

OOC: I hate it when that happens. I used to write up long script in Word and transfer it across. Anyway, I will try and use my wind whip to catch this guy. But I've got a horrible feeling I am going to be well over my head as I currently stand. When I first generated this character he was hideously poor at combat. I remember that started the whole process of growth to help him actually survive. That and a tendency to get horrible dice rolls. Can I still do devastating attacks?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 16 2023, 13:40

OOC Crit blows and Devastating Attacks are still on the menu. The write up (shown as 'Frostbite in the Past!') actually reflects years of experience in battle and as a superhero that Frostbite can bring with him even when he inhabits his past self. For instance your Dex score of 8 which is used for attack and Defence in the DC Heroes system would probably be 4 or 5 if I were being accurate with Frostbite as a starting out character converting from Golden Heroes. He was pretty poor in combat as you say, the perils of random character generation!

That said I do love the weirdness and trying to turn the crazy into sense that GH brings, but quite often the characters were just a bit rubbish Laughing

With his old head on young shoulders Frostbite might be better served without a Crit Blow or Dev Attack this round as he's up against a speedster - Vitesse - who probably will be stood somewhere else when you land a blow. Speedsters are a pain in the butt! You may need to get inventive to slow the guy down, but by all means lash out with the whip, see what happens.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed May 17 2023, 14:23

Admin wrote:
OOC Crit blows and Devastating Attacks are still on the menu. The write up (shown as 'Frostbite in the Past!') actually reflects years of experience in battle and as a superhero that Frostbite can bring with him even when he inhabits his past self. For instance your Dex score of 8 which is used for attack and Defence in the DC Heroes system would probably be 4 or 5 if I were being accurate with Frostbite as a starting out character converting from Golden Heroes. He was pretty poor in combat as you say, the perils of random character generation!

That said I do love the weirdness and trying to turn the crazy into sense that GH brings, but quite often the characters were just a bit rubbish Laughing

With his old head on young shoulders Frostbite might be better served without a Crit Blow or Dev Attack this round as he's up against a speedster - Vitesse - who probably will be stood somewhere else when you land a blow. Speedsters are a pain in the butt! You may need to get inventive to slow the guy down, but by all means lash out with the whip, see what happens.

OOC: At this level with this hybrid version of Frostbite I am not sure what else to do but try and hit him with my Windwhip, even though I know its unlikely to connect. So lets go with Dev Attack, as I've no idea how else I'd connect.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next