The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..."

3 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..." Empty The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..."

Post  Admin Thu Feb 10 2022, 10:10

"Flea boy?" muttered Battlebug as he walked past a newspaper on a table, did a double take and leaned in to look.

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..." British-Outlook

Catherine looked up from packing and shook her head. "Ignore that. We don't have a lot of time. Get packing."

(OOC Ignore the day/date on the newspaper clipping, I had to put something in)

The holographic butler Jethro spoke up "The situation is 'in hand'. Please ignore the pun.". His solid light holographic form currently sported six arms, each holding heavy crates. Throughout the mansion that the Vanguard called home copies of the artificial intelligent construct devised by the alien genius Wandafar were already hard at work putting into action the plan he'd devised with Justin St John. If the 'world came crashing down' all trace of the Vanguard would be moved to a new location.

The world was 'crashing down' on Justin St John and by association, the Vanguard!

Minutes ago Justin ... now Carlyle St John had replaced Justin as heir to the St John title and fortune to distance himself from his 'disgraced' father who was a known associate of the wanted vigilante Nowhere Man, finally in custody. He'd regained his powers as the Morningstar, once Ghost Knight of the Lore Knights and teleported his friends and allies of the Vanguard back to their home in Justins' mansion.

The UKChampions were in disarray.

Smashed, separated, publicly humiliated and now with the threat of Stonelord threatening to strike from the shadows with his knowledge of his former team mates, the UKChampions were teetering on the edge. Govermental and media pressure had them scrambling to save face but the Vanguard had soundly beaten their team sent to Caer Alwyn to apprehend Justin St John. The teams' stand in chairperson Bombardier made no secret of his dislike for the Vanguard and it's leader but he was a man apart. Atomica, senior member and one of the four Regional team leaders was a strong supporter of the Vanguard and Frostbite having worked with them several times. Many of the UKChampions supported and admired the Vanguard who quietly got on with the job without public fanfare and were a shining example of getting the job done.

More than that, in Frostbite and Battlebug they had two of the most powerful superheroes not only in Europe but the world. With Melody, Barracuda, Surge, Reflex, Timmy Jones and Wandafar along with Catherine Stowe and other on/off members the Vanguard were quickly gaining a public reputation that overshadowed the efforts of the UKChampions.

It wasn't all plain sailing though.

Nowhere Man had manipulated events to resurrect the Lore Knights to battle the threat of mystical powered aliens that were plotting to attack the Earth and had already captured Reflex on the moon. The Vanguard had to retreat, unable to counter their magic power. Justin St John, former Ghost Knight and current Governmental adviser on Metahuman affairs had been 'outed' and the Vanguard were dragged into the firing line. The conflict at Caer Alwyn, Justins' fall from grace and Reflex captured on the moon weighed heavy on Frostbite.

He'd messaged Catherine to turn the team around get back home, stating it was time to move on. She'd known immediately without question what was required having been part of the planning process and wasn't far behind Frostbite and his protege Battlebug in getting back to the mansion.

Wandafar came in. "I hef something for you. Both of you." said the diminutive alien. "New clothes."

He turned. "Also..."

CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP

Timmy Jones stomped in.

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..." Timmy-jones-combat-body-1

"Whoa! Dude!" declared Battlebug, rushing over to check out the 7' tall mech.

"Ze first of several bodies I em cooking up fer Timmy. He can join you on missions now." declared Wandafar.

"That is... if you feel I am ready." said a robotic voice from the mech. "I am eager to make amends for my past misdeeds." said the fallen hero.

Surge came in with a huge box in hand. "I got... whoa." he said, seeing the mech.

Barracuda was close behind and bumped into him.

Just then an alarm run out. "Incoming craft identified on long range sensors. Vessel identification UKCHampions Paragon class transport. Supported by three SMITE attack helicopter gunships. ETA 6 minutes." said an automated voice.

"Vell, zey ver not messing about ven zey figured out zet Justin vas an old buddy of Nowhere Men und decided to 'burn' him too. Zey vill be 'hitting' all of Justins' known addresses. Chop chop!" said the diminutive genius. "Ve hef six minutes to get out before ze fen hits de shat."

Catherine turned to Frostbite. "We can ill avoid a shooting match. We need to get back to the moon to rescue Steph and..."

FWASH!

Everyone spun and saw a portal open, flashing with mystical light and opening up in the air like a cut in the fabric of space - which it was!

Professor Thoth stumbled through, smoking like he'd been on fire and dressed in smouldering rags!

Frostbite rushed over as the man started to fall and UK's foremost magician gasped, looking around. "Oh thank goodness!" he spluttered. "Frostbite! I need your help! All of reality is in dire peril!"

"More importantly, I'm in dire peril of missing Eastenders later." mumbled Wandafar.

OOC Still have Battlebugs points to assign and Frostys. See last post of the old thread...

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..." Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..." Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..." Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..."

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Feb 10 2022, 18:03

Admin wrote:FWASH!

Everyone spun and saw a portal open, flashing with mystical light and opening up in the air like a cut in the fabric of space - which it was!

Professor Thoth stumbled through, smoking like he'd been on fire and dressed in smouldering rags!

Frostbite rushed over as the man started to fall and UK's foremost magician gasped, looking around. "Oh thank goodness!" he spluttered. "Frostbite! I need your help! All of reality is in dire peril!"

"More importantly, I'm in dire peril of missing Eastenders later." mumbled Wandafar.

OOC Still have Battlebugs points to assign and Frostys. See last post of the old thread...

"OK people shake a leg, we need to be out of her now!"

With that Frostbite grabbed the unconscious Thoth and bid the others depart by the pre-planned route. He didn't fear facing the UK CHampions, but the belligerent mood of the moment would mean they'd have a real hard time talking them down before they sought to level the place. So it was time to leave and quick.

OOC: Difficult one, I'd rather not leave, and yet I suspect diplomacy is off the table since we had to get into fisty cuff's in the end. Oh well, hopefully, I can arrange something a bit more sensible, when we've not got our tail between our legs and are being chased from one end of the country to the other.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..." Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..."

Post  Admin Tue Feb 15 2022, 09:17

Thoth reeled but clung to consciousness as Frostbite steadied him. He shivered - being near Frostbite would put the chills up anyone!

"Thank goodness! Something is going to happen. An army of inter-dimensional Sorcerers and Mystical warriors is heading this way! I tried to talk to them... too many! So powerful!" he gasped.

He accepted a glass of water from the holographic butler Jethro and glanced at the team moving boxes and rushing about with Catherine directing the heavy lifting and moving with sergeant major like efficiency. One thing the Vanguard did NOT lack was superhuman strength - in great abundance!

As Timmy Jones 'thudded' by, laden with crates and Wandafar wittering in his ear to be careful as he headed for the lift to the garages, Thoth spoke up again.

"I scryed. Looked where I could, tried to figure out where they would appear, where they would strike. They are evil, Frostbite! They are also 'pure' magic, with a physical form only when they need to interact with... what?"

He saw the look on Frostbites' face and the Vanguardian leader explained about their encounter on the moon and time running out for Steph.

Thoth nodded, listening without interruption then sighed. "As much as it pains me to say this, she may be lost... for now!" he added, with a hand raised. "These ... creatures ... move from place to place, draining worlds of magic. They don't care who they massacre in the meantime! To fight them you must use magic, but they feed on magic so you have to be careful you don't end up being a source of food for them! ALL sentient beings have some Spirit about them. Not many know how to access it to use the magic around them, but some do. Others, like you are possessed of great spirit and with the right time and training might be able to access magic but that takes a lifetime... several lifetimes in my case ... of training and dedication. When I joined the Executive I was in a ... training age. Elsewhere I was a master. Time and space and magic are closely interlinked and to a non mystic are hard to explain."

He stood, thanking Frostbite for the steadying hand. "I don't believe they will kill Reflex, or allow her to die. They will instead use her as a Herald for the next stage of their plan, to sow despair and panic. They need a physical human form to communicate their message."

"Vat is zet message?" asked Wandafar.

"That we are cattle, and they will herd us, farm us, and ultimately destroy us. Adjutant is possibly the most powerful superhero in Britain and he was humbled, almost killed and barely escaped with his life. He may have more - vital - information. You need to speak to him. I will consult the various magic circles. I need to get as many sorcerers and warlocks on our side as I can. That includes recruiting villains." he shuddered at that.

"Some of them aren't pleasant to deal with. Talk to Adjutant. Find out what he knows. It may be vital." said Thoth. "I need to go and start gathering an army to ... fend off... delay... the coming storm."

Wandafar raised an eyebrow and turned to Frostbite. "Ve are not exactly... flavour of ze month viz ze UKChampions. We might hef to punch our vay in to see Adjutant." he said, cringing at the thought.

Thoth glanced at Wandafar and Frostbite then rolled his eyes. "I'll be that dipstick Nowhere Man has something to do with this." Seeing a reaction on both Vanguardian faces he looked to the ceiling and sighed. "Right well Nowhere Man is on the list of people I need to recruit. This is going to be fun. Frostbite, talk to Adjutant. The stakes are too high to mess about with who said what or punched who or who has the longest..."

"Guys! We're on the clock!" shouted Catherine. "Frosty! You too! Let's get this place emptied! Wandafar, we need to unplug some of your... well, it looks like junk to be honest."

"Junk!" huffed Wandafar. With a nod to Thoth "Always a pleasure Prof. It never seemed zis vorld shaking ven we ver punching bed guys."

Thoth turned to Frostbite. "Time is of the essence." he said.

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..." Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..." Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Feb 15 2022, 13:20

Admin wrote:"Junk" huffed Wandafar. With a nod to Thoth "Always a pleasure Prof. It never seemed zis vorld shaking ven we ver punching bed guys."

Thoth turned to Frostbite. "Time is of the essence." he said.

Frostbite nodded to Catherine and then said, "Will you need help, can I lend you some of our team to help? Might be a good experience for them provided you bring them back in one piece?"

OOC: OK Assuming we get on out of here and move things along. I remember Adjutant came back and warned us, but no idea where he had gone from there? Plus there is the whole thing of us having a chatty chat with Bombadier and the UK Champions about finding a way forward together rather than apart at each other's throats.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 17 2022, 16:40

Catherine nodded. "The important stuff - the computers, special equipment, costumes, vehicles... we're on it. We've got multiple instances of Jethro loading the vehicles but our recent exploits have left us reeling when it comes to transportation."

"The heavy stuff you and bug boy..."

"Hey! I heard that! BATTLE bug..." said Billy from behind stacks of really heavy boxes he was carrying and obscuring him from view.

"BUG boy... " Catherine continued "May have to carry and fly or bounce to the new place."

Frostbite had been told at some point about several backup locations. This one was in the depths of the Lake District off the beaten track and high up a hillside in a pre-prepared cave hollowed out and hidden from prying eyes. He sighed and looked around the comforts of the mansion. Maybe he could smooth things out get back here. Sleeping in a bed with all mod con amenities with TV, entertainment, nice food, a robotic holographic butler, equipment, nice vehicles, jacuzzi...

Wandafar rolled his eyes. "BE CAREFUL VIZ ZET!" he yelled at Barracuda as she struggled with cables and a large computer mainframe. Weight wasn't a problem but it seemed to have a life of it's own...

With a sigh the diminutive genius fished in his pocket and came out with a small coin sized object. "Get this near a UKChampions computer terminal. I can then heck it und and dig through zer database und security to find out where Adjutant is. I don't sink esking Bombardier is going to get you any vear."

"That guy needs his ass kicking!" yelled Surge from behind some boxes as he stumbled along towards the hanger bay.

Jethro faded into view steadily and coughed. "Ahem, sirs. Tracking has picked up a new contact. High speed and on an intercept course. Satellite and initial scans suggest it is MAJESTIC!"

The Vanguard stopped. Surge muttered "Now we're in for it."

Barracuda looked about. "Who is Majestic?" she asked.

Jethro looked up. "Incoming. Transponder identifies as Melody, returning to active duty."

"Good news at last." muttered Catherine. "KEEP MOVING!" she shouted at the team. She turned to Frostbite. "You and the kid will be needed at top. I don't think Majestic will be in a talking mood..."

Wandafar chuckled and started singing (out of tune) "Zer vill be trouble aheeeaaaaddd... but vile zer is moonlight, und music, und love und romance... let's face ze music... und dance!" he finished, with a flourish and twirl...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Feb 17 2022, 19:10

Admin wrote:"Good news at last." muttered Catherine. "KEEP MOVING!" she shouted at the team. She turned to Frostbite. "You and the kid will be needed at top. I don't think Majestic will be in a talking mood..."

Wandafar chuckled and started singing (out of tune) "Zer vill be trouble aheeeaaaaddd... but vile zer is moonlight, und music, und love und romance... let's face ze music... und dance!" he finished, with a flourish and twirl...

Calling Catherine, Wandafar and Battle Bug over to him, Frostbite told them what he was going to do.

"In order for us to get to the mainframe of the UKCHampions, I will surrender to Majestic. It's a long shot, but they will want to quiz me. Who knows I might be able to do more from within, not just sticking this 'do-hickey' onto their computers, but try and talk some sense into them."

Frostbite anticipated the objections, and said, "I know power dampeners and all that, but we hardly live in a totalitarian state, they won't torture me or anything. So provided I can find a way to get this onto the mainframe maybe we can get to Adjutant. I can at least tell them about what has been happening, and how we've been clearing up their messes, whilst they've been chasing after us. They won't be long, and Majestic is less so, so I am going to meet him. Unless anyone has a better idea besides punch first and ask questions later."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 21 2022, 18:25

Catherine looked shocked but held her tongue. Whilst Frostbite knew she would object to such a plan - and the fear in her eyes suggested that was accurate - she would also back Frostbite to the hilt and offer objections only to the most foolhardy of plans.

She did look - very much - like she was biting her tongue!

Wandafar was more direct. "Zet is a dumb idea Joseph, even for you."

Catherine turned to object but Wandafar waved her quiet. "I predict zey vill dampen you zen chuck you in a cell to cool your heels zen come efter ze rest of ze 'kids'. I can treck you to a certain degree but zey vill soon block zet und track my tracking to its source und come for us. At best you buy a little time for us to move our crep..."

"YOUR 'crep' "reminded Catherine

"Tsch. Details." muttered Wandafar with a hand wave. "We vill 'lose' you in some Government cell or bunker. Assuming ze UKChampions do not bung you in ze deepest hole zey hev. Who knows? Maybe zey vill chuck you in a cell next to NoVere Men. Just imagine vot a jolly time you vill hev zer. A fate vurs zen death, an afternoon spent mit zet gloomy cretin."

"I don't know what the little genius guy just said but I think it's a bad idea boss!" said Battlebug. He'd been hopping about on the spot trying to get a word in edgeways. "If they get hold of you that will be it for..." he held his hands up. "I mean, they won't let you go! They'll zap your powers and leave you in a cell Boss!"

"Zet is vot I said." said Wandafar, deadpan.

"What are you saying dude?" asked Battlebug. He shook his head and continued "Boss, don't do this!"

Frostbite and the others turned as Melody walked into the partially emptied lounge. "Are we moving? I didn't get the memo! How can I help?"

Catherine pulled a face, placed a hand on Frostbites' shoulder and kissed his cheek. "You'll do the right thing. I back you whatever you do." then she walked over to Melody and started to give a rough explanation and directed her with the urgent moving efforts.

Tommy Jones clomped past with a large cobbled together mainframe in his hands. "This body is great!" he declared to Wandafar from over his shoulder.

Battlebug leaned in. "Boss! Not Majestic! Or Bombardier! That hot lady in the swimsuit with the flames ... Atomic Lady or whatever... she seems to like or at least respect you. There must be some way to make sure they don't throw you in a hole!"

Wandafar checked a handheld tablet and shook his head. "We're out of time. I can activate ze automatic defences but zey vill just make Majestic chuckle. Given enough time und money I can cook some sing up zet vill vipe ze smile off Majestics' smug mug but we are out of time. Joseph. Sink carefully."

He turned and shouted "Timmy! Be careful viz zet you oaf!"

Battlebug looked agitated, worried, distraught. "Boss... I gotta say... I don't know if I can..." He bit his tongue. "I mean... Majestic is kinda a sort of hero of mine but..."

Jethro called out "Majestic has entered the surrounding grounds at an altitude of five hundred metres. Scans show he is scanning the Mansion and grounds for defensive weapons..."

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Feb 21 2022, 21:39

Admin wrote:He turned and shouted "Timmy! Be careful viz zet you oaf!"

Battlebug looked agitated, worried, distraught. "Boss... I gotta say... I don't know if I can..." He bit his tongue. "I mean... Majestic is kinda a sort of hero of mine but..."

Jethro called out "Majestic has entered the surrounding grounds at an altitude of five hundred metres. Scans show he is scanning the Mansion and grounds for defensive weapons..."

OOC: OK just about to hit the sack for a very early drive up to London to inter my Mum's ashes tomorrow. So not going to reply properly till I'm back on Wed/Thur. But I get the message, not a good idea, just not sure what else to do. Oh well, I've got a few days to think it over. I'm sure I'll come up with an alternative plan.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Feb 23 2022, 14:40

Admin wrote:Battlebug looked agitated, worried, distraught. "Boss... I gotta say... I don't know if I can..." He bit his tongue. "I mean... Majestic is kinda a sort of hero of mine but..."

Frostbite was momentarily at a loss. It didn't last long. "You're right, dumb idea. Just not sure how I can get your gadget on a mainframe for the UKC if I can't get near them? We'll have to figure it out, as you say perhaps Atomica might be willing to help. Majestic is likely to be unreasonable as Bombardier. OK let's pack and leave."

Frostbite did wonder how they'd get out from under Majestic's gaze but assumed Wandarfar had a plan, he certainly hoped so. Although he and Battle Bug had taken him out once, they might not be so lucky a second time.

OOC: OK let's leave it here, and work out a way to find a route to Adjutant some other way. I don't fancy going through what happened to Dave, when he met Advent and massively lost his powers and all that. But if we can find a way to Atomica, maybe she would be willing to help. Short of that, not sure who we have who'd help us, since we are now increasingly tainted.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 28 2022, 10:36

Wandafar hurried people along and Catherine directed the packing.

Jethro appeared "Majestic is approaching the house. He seems at caution, expecting a reception of some kind."

Wandafar turned to Frostbite, chuckling. "Time for you to go out und meet Majestic."

Catherine paused, and Battlebug nearly dropped the large packing cases he was carrying. "What? There's no way..."

"Hush!" said Wandafar. He turned to Jethro. "Jethro. Protocol... decoy."

Jethro instantly 'changed' into a perfect facsimile of Frostbite. Another 'Jethro' appeared and morphed into Battlebug. yet another appeared and morphed into Catherine!

"Keep pecking." said Wandafar as the Vanguard gaped at the perfect versions of their Leader and the others. Melody muttered "I could do with that! Would sure help keeping a secret identity secret!"

Issuing a headset to Frostbite, Catherine and Battlebug, Wandafar flipped a small one eye 'screen' down on each headset. The wearers - Frostbite, Catherine and Battlebug - could 'see' through the eyes of their Jethro counterpart and a moment later speak through them as well.

"Weird!" exclaimed Battlebug, in stereo!

"Jethro's, interface vid ze vearers synaptic responses." ordered Wandafar.

The 'Jethros' stiffened, then started mimicking the upper body movements of Frostbite and Battlebug! Catherine was still gaping, also shown on her counterpart.

"It is not possible to mimic Frostbites' synapses fully. His body density is too high." said Jethro.

"Can't be helped. He hes thick skin. Und sometimes a thick head." said Wandafar. "Not as thick as Novere Men though. Zet clown has some explaining to do." growled the genius Dwarf.

With a shake of his head Wandafar looked about. "I vill hef to stay. Zer is too much of my stuff here to leave und Majestic vill be expecting me too. Zis is goodbye. Now booger off und do not get caught."

Catherine blinked and made to move to hug the genius but Wandafar waved her away "Go!" he exclaimed, "und make sure ze stealth is vorking. I vill need to distract Majestic und make sure he is looking in ze other vay for this to vork otherwise he vill catch up viz ze jet in no time." He turned to Frostbite "You hef ze coordinates to several backup places. Not as nice as zis but low key. Britain does NOT need a civil var viz it's supers right now. Ze UKChampions are looking for one. Make sure you don't let..." he glanced at Battlebug who was moving cases into the lift "... events or people spiral out of control. I'll be fine."

This felt like goodbye. Wandafar would be taken into custody without much of a fight - without his alien armour he was stronger than a normal human but no match for Majestic. He really was 'taking one for the team'.

"We have to go." said Catherine, with a gentle hand on Frostbites' shoulder. "Joe. Come on."

One of the Jethros - Battlebug - turned. "Majestic is about to enter the front doors of the mansion. We should be there to meet him."

Wandafar shook his head. "Demmit. Remember to control yourselves normally und speak as convincingly as you can. Everysing you say vill buy seconds - enough for ze jet to get away quietly." he moved to the doors to the corridor with the three facsimile Jethros in tow.

OOC Anything you want to add to Wandafar, or change plan or whatever? in the next post Frosty/Catherine/BB and Wandy will 'meet' Majestic. Or their artificial clones will. You'll need to be as persuasive as possible!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Mar 01 2022, 21:33

Admin wrote:OOC Anything you want to add to Wandafar, or change plan or whatever? in the next post Frosty/Catherine/BB and Wandy will 'meet' Majestic. Or their artificial clones will. You'll need to be as persuasive as possible!

Frostbite thrust a hand out to Wandafar, "I'd say we'll get you out of this, but I suspect you can do more good and more harm to them from within."

And with that Frostbite stepped back with the others, ready to play his part as Wandafar and the Jethro's played theirs.

OOC: OK I suggest we get to the plan and then with Catherine flying us out, we can all go to it with Majestic. My approach, as always is not to land fisticuffs but to try diplomacy and tact. After all, it was Majestic who went fists first last time.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 02 2022, 11:11

With the headsets in place and active like a VR headset, Catherine, Battlebug and Frostbite 'saw' themselves appear in the reception hall of the mansion as if they were there!

"This is..." started Battlebug, only to be hushed by Catherine.

Wandafar zipped into the reception on what could only be described as a home made segway type scooter.

"Let me do ze talking. I em natural diplomat." said Wandafar quietly.

He swung open the double doors and all saw Majestic floating in the air around fifty feet away about the same up.

"MAJESTIC! You stupid blummin idjut! Vot you sink you doing you muscle bound buffoon! I thought you were not as thick as this!" said Wandafar, striding forward and waving his arms about theatrically. "Ze Vanguard are your FRIENDS. Your ALLIES! Do you vant to hand ze country to Eurotrash? To Advent? To Any von vid ze power und..."

"SILENCE!" roared Majestic. He looked past Wandafar and gazed on the trio of Vanguardians 'stood' in the doorway.

"You attacked the UKChampions. There are consequences. You attacked me. I gave you a free shot last time in recognition of past relationships. No more. You come with me, now, as prisoners, then we talk. Or we fight."

"And I won't hold back this time." he growled before tossing four pairs of bulky looking cuffs to the ground only a few feet away from where the Vanguard 'stood'.

"Power dampers." muttered Wandafar. "I should know. Zey look based on my design."

Majestic started to drift slowly forwards, his eyes glowing...

Battlebug glanced to Frostbite and Catherine. His instinct was to attack!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Mar 02 2022, 12:11

Admin wrote:Battlebug glanced to Frostbite and Catherine. His instinct was to attack!

"Wait!" Frostbite let his voice say. "Majestic, the UKChampions have long stood the test of time in this country. They've long been the Vanguard before we took that name, of these people and you being part of them are a worthy part of that team. I for my part want to apologise for what happened earlier. We both know what it is to sometimes have to post aside personal feelings to fulfil a purpose too big to fail. Even now you, I know, must be wrestling with what duty and loyalty place on you. This is a terrible situation, Eurotrash, with help, humiliated the UKChampions. Nowhere Man has been doing this for ages and getting away with it till now. I can see the desire to play tough, and ask questions later. But can't you see at a time like this where there are multiple threats as never before the world isn't just black and white anymore. Alliances have to be made with those who were once enemies because we face greater threats that unit us for a time. I am not speaking of compromise, but with Advent breathing down our necks, the Eurotrash re-envisioned and lead by a deadly duo and threats from the magical realm...Oh, you didn't know about that. Thoth was just here and he has warned us that something even worse is coming if we don't get our act together. You've seen their handiwork in what they did to Adjutant - right? Yeah, so if you know what they can do, even to him, can you imagine what lies for us and the rest of the world if we found fighting ourselves rather than united against them? And my friend, I don't know about you, but these are magical beings, with which I have no ability to either comprehend or withstand. And I guess neither, do you. We need help and we need one another. So will you listen, or does this have to play into the hands of those who have most to gain by our division? Do we fight and whilst we are distracted watch whilst the world steers toward an iceberg the like of which I and I have no doubt you have ever faced in its wicked menace. Can we afford to indulge in such actions that should be beneath us, especially if the cost is the country we've called home?"

Frostbite stopped to let Majestic answer, figuring if he had tried his best or not this was not going to go across easy. Majestic would know that there are always deadly threats out there seeking to erase human existence off the face of the earth. This was only a new one, but one they could not afford to take their eyes from if they were going to stand strong. One that was going to require all Metahumans to band together, regardless of former allegiances or allies. He only hoped Majestic was possessed of enough foresight to see what was going on here was more than met the eye.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 03 2022, 20:44

Majestic sucked in a deep breath, seeming to stare at the four Vanguardians.

He narrowed his eyes then turned away, looking...

"Uh oh." said Catherine.

"Rumbled." muttered Battlebug. "Better saddle up guys..."

FWWWWWOOOOOOSSSSSSHHHH!!!

Stood in the open hanger where the Vanguard Flyer MKVII (patched together from spare bits and not very functional version) was being loaded up by the Vanguard with Catherine, Frostbite and Battlebug there with headsets on.

Cases were set down. Melody muttered "Boss...?". Barracuda hissed and crouched in a battle stance. Timmy set boxes down and SNICKT weapons into place, gun barrels forming from his arms and back. Kevin (Surge) muttered "Oh crap."

Taking the headset off Frostbite wondered how Majestic had 'seen' where they were but it seemed the hero had more to his repertoire than simple 'flying brick'.

He walked in, looking about at the cases, the patched up flier.

Speaking with an echoing voice in the hanger Majestic called out. "We could fight." He continued walking. Beside Frostbite, Battlebug bristled.

"Tell the boy if he twitches he goes down first. Our files are extensive. If you get the first hit in, hard enough, he goes down." said Majestic, running his hand along the rippled side of the Flyer. "Wandafar is slipping." he said as he straightened a bent panel and smoothed it into place before his eyes lit up and he welded the panel sealed.

Catherine glanced at Frostbite who stared, cool as, at Majestic.

"Truth is Frostbite, you were going to get a pass from me, even after the Caer Alwyn thing and association with Justin who is a buddy of that nutter Nowhere Man. I was outvoted, again. It was close though. We got the whole gang together even over video link whilst some were fighting fires or beating up bad guys. Everyone had their say. So I'll say to you now. Stand down. Forget the cuffs. We know they won't work on you."

Frostbot confirmed [It seems they are aware of our ability to interface with electronic machinery]

Majestic sighed, finishing running his hand down the side of the flier and turned, arms folded. He was a big guy. Olympic Weightlifter build, solid six and a half feet, poster superhero boy.

"Against my better judgement... You and the boy come with me. Back to HQ. The Princess... Atomica... practically pinned me against the wall to make sure I'd not fight you. Threatened to leave, take her sub team with her, use her veto you name it. So here it is. You and the young man beside you to HQ. No fights. Just go. Talk. Listen. Then we'll decide."

Catherine leaned in "It may be a trap... Bombardier..."

"Captain Ion... Catherine. Nice to see you again." said Majestic.

"Thomas." said Catherine, frostily.

Majestic bristled at the use of his real name, glanced around the Vanguard stood in the hanger than continued. "I can't promise anything but it has to be better than fighting you. By my reckoning you are on a par with me, Atomica, a few of the others. The boy? Our eggheads reckon he has the beating of Adjutant if conditions are right. That's why he goes down first depending on what you decide. So, choose."

Catherine put a hand on Frostbites' shoulder, heedless of the cold. "Don't..." she muttered.

Wandafar huffed and puffed into the hanger. "Should hef blummin vell known. You can see into ze electromagnetic spectrum?" he asked of Majestic.

Majestic tipped his fingers to his forehead in a kind of salute. "One of my lesser known abilities. Don't use it often but it's helpful to track phone signals... or signals to holographic projectors." He crossed his arms and turned to Frostbite, waiting.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Mar 04 2022, 22:52

Admin wrote:

Catherine put a hand on Frostbites' shoulder, heedless of the cold. "Don't..." she muttered.

Frostbite turned to Catherine, taking her hands he defrosted for a moment, "For once someone is thinking this through. Majestic has given us a chance to make our case. Atomica has seen what pretty much no one else has, till now. Majestic here at least is willing to go along with what Atomica sees we've been trying to get through to Bombadier all along. This is her sticking her neck out and Majestic, so we've got to honour that risk. Besides we've got to pull this together and stop wasting time playing cat and mouse. We've been recruiting from the sidelines but you know with the threats we have faced we'll never keep up this and now this, this is the way we've got to do it."

Frostbite looked at Catherine reading there the concern and the worry. But he gently kissed her raised hands that he had cusped within his own. And with a reassuring smile, he let them go and frosted over again. "Battle Bug comes with us. He'll behave, besides I know my friend, if I order him to stay he'll find a way to join us, so might as well join us." Frostbite said with a knowing smile, at the incorrigible youth.

Nodding to the others, he motioned for them to get on, whilst turning back to Majestic. "Thank you, let's go and honour Atomica's wishes and hope Bombadier can be reasoned with."

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Mar 14 2022, 20:59

Catherine was about to speak, then sucked in a breath and nodded. "The mansion is compromised. I'll send a code detailing the location of our new base. Make sure you're home for tea!"

With a glance at Battlebug and Majestic she called out "Get things moving! Now!" and got back with packing.

As Majestic, Battlebug and Frostbite walked from the hanger, Majestic muttered "I should demand your team stay here for internment, but that ..."

"That would kick things off again." said Battlebug. "Still think you can take me? I was holding back last..."

Frostbite cut his protege off with a raised hand and Battlebug clammed up.

Majestic stared at Battlebug then decided. "I never saw the others. Let's go. Do you need a lift boy or..."

Battlebug chuckled. "If I wanted to, I could leap to the moon! Where Frostbite goes, I follow."

=========

At high speed the trio crossed England to get back to London, two fliers and another who could leap as fast, tumbling and bouncing with titanic leaps every time he landed...

A fenced Militaristic compound sprawled in the heart of the countryside, hidden from view by sophisticated holographic projectors that shimmered when the fliers approached thanks to Majestics' UKChampions transponder.

A welcoming committee greeted them. Armed DICE agents - twenty or so - along with Bombardier, Atomica, Shamrock (on crutches) and Varangian - the powerful super Viking Frostbite had met before - stood ready for anything.

A DICE leader stepped forward. "I don't see restraints on those two Majestic. Where are the others? Did they escape? Our teams are still en route to arrest them..."

Majestic held up a placating hand, especially to the enraged Atomica who was about to step forward. "Stay calm everyone! There could have been a fight, but they agreed to talk first."

Bombardier stepped forward. "No! He needs to be clapped in irons! He's too powerful to leave roaming free! Atomica! use your power!"

Atomica looked at Bombardier, then crossed her arms defiantly!

Bombardier stepped forwards. "I know your weakness! It's my power to see the weak points in others! Are you too afraid to fight me, one on one?"

"Boss?" asked Battlebug. Majestic placed a hand on the youngsters' shoulder. "Don't boy..." he warned.

The DICE leader called out. "Frostbite! Stand down! The boy, too!"

Bombardier looked ready for a fight!

Frostbot spoke inside Frostbites' head. [Bombardier is a supremely skilled fighter! The peak of human physical power and his superhuman abilities include being able to strike at weak points and find weaknesses in opponents. He is Class three in terms of ability.] There was a pause then [You are closer to Class 5 than you are to Class 4.]

"Last chance!" declared Bombardier. "Stand down! Surrender! Or I WILL kick your back side!"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Mar 14 2022, 21:28

Admin wrote:"Last chance!" declared Bombardier. "Stand down! Surrender! Or I WILL kick your back side!"

Slowly so his gesture wouldn't be seen as a threat Frostbite raise his arms at the elbows palms outward and non-threatening.

"Bombadier, I have no reason to fight you and no desire to test you. I come as a gesture of goodwill. The first time we worked together to stop Eurotrash and then subsequently we rescued you and your people. But you've done nothing but act in rage and hostility and asked that of your team. A team, I might add who have helped us and whom we've helped. A model, in other words, of cooperation. I would think there is a modicum of trust, that we'd earned that. Especially after the London debacle. We also flushed out Stone Lord who was working against you, I might add. You treat us like enemies but had an enemy as a friend. Perhaps your skills at seeing an opponent's weakness need to be turned in on yourself friend. I've come to talk, to try and settle things like the men we ought to be if we ask others to take our lead and trust us. To offer the leadership we ought to by our example who, whether we like it or not, look up to us. Not every fight has to be fought with our weapons, but with honour and truth." He looked at Atomica, whom Frostbite knew had stood by them, at a personal cost to herself, once again.

"I've come to talk, you won't need your powers to reveal the weakness of my argument, just your head. So will you listen, can we talk this through and not make demands before we've heard one another out?"

Frostbite remained calm, nonchalant almost, as he waited for the UKChampions leader to see if he'd heed his words. Bombardier seemed very angry almost as if he bearly had control of his emotions. Frostbite worried about him. Perhaps driven by ego, or maybe the sense of responsibility he felt for past failures, especially recently. He might also feel a sense of betrayal at what had transpired with Nowhere Man, let alone how he had been overruled regarding Battle Bug and them both being involved with the Vanguard. His own team's reputation, having been tainted by the association with Caldwell.

Frostbite put his musings to one side as he stared intently at Bombadier genuinely concerned for the leader, of Britians premier super-team, especially with the knowledge he had of what his team let alone Adjutant and Thoth had warned lay awaiting them all if things broke down here and talk failed to bring about collaboration rather than competition or imprisonment.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Mar 18 2022, 08:04

FROSTBITE and BATTLEBUG

Battlebug glanced at his leader and Frostbite saw him bristle. Determined, implacable, resolute. The youngster was with him, now and probably forever...

So was Atomica. With her flames powered off she was a statuesque woman at six feet tall and with athletic build in a figure hugging swimsuit. Normally jaws would drop at her beautiful appearance. This time they dropped when Atomica walked to stand beside Frostbite.

Majestic was the first to ask... "Princess! What... what are you doing?"

Atomica looked up to where Majestic floated in the air above her team mates. "This man has acted with NOTHING but honour and integrity since we have known him! He has succeeded where we have failed, uncovered a traitor in our midst, stepped in where..."

"We need more proof about Stonelord!" argued Bombardier, flustered that one of his most powerful allied was now stood alongside someone he viewed with suspicion and hostility!

Atomica bristled. "Interrupt me again and YOU shall feel my wrath Bombardier!"

Bombardier clammed up. The haughty princess turned to Majestic. "We as self proclaimed defenders of this country have failed. We fell short in our duties, rushing about to put out fires and failing to stop the main threat when we were divided."

"You know Eurotrash attacked cities across the UK!" argued Majestic. "We can't be everywhere at once!"

"Agreed. When I was putting out a fire at a refinery in East Yorkshire you were saving people on an oil rig off the Shetlands..."

"Actually that was just one of the things I..." started Majestic then he saw the look on Atomicas' face. "Ah, sorry. Go on."

Atomica stared at him, scowling then continued. "The point is the Vanguard had our backs. We came out of that mess - barely - with a shred of respectability and public support only because the Vanguard stepped in to fill the breach in London, the most public and visible of the attacks. The Vanguard have been there for a while now. They step in, but they need to do more than that. WE need them to do more."

Bombardier shook his head. "We talked about this. They aren't ready. We barely know anything about Frostbite and now this association with Nowhere Man... and Justin St John being mixed up with that villain too..."

Atomica shook her head. "You are a fool Bombardier. I will not follow a fool any longer! The UKChampions will have to decide who makes the decisions but the recent disasters we have suffered were not all on you. I do not apportion full blame but when things go wrong the media, the public, the government, even the membership of the UKChampions look to the leader. You are a battle leader. The UKChampions is more than just a super powered army. It is a force for good, for peace. This man ..." she pointed a hand at Frostbite "Has shown he can lead the Vanguard and more besides. It is time he stepped up."

Majestic frowned. "Wait a minute! What are you saying?"

Atomica turned to look at Majestic, then scanned her vision over all present before replying. "I am saying it is time for a new leader for the UKChampions. That person should... MUST be..."

"FROSTBITE!"

Admin
Admin
Admin

DavidMcMahon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Mar 18 2022, 13:01

ooc: OOOoohhh! Somebody is about to be drafted! Very Happy
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Mar 18 2022, 20:59

Admin wrote:FROSTBITE and BATTLEBUG

Atomica turned to look at Majestic, then scanned her vision over all present before replying. "I am saying it is time for a new leader for the UKChampions. That person should... MUST be..." "FROSTBITE!"

Frostbite reacted, at this point, as if he'd been bitten. "WHAT!!!" Turning first to Atomica and then back to the others he calmed himself as he knew this was an already difficult situation and it needed level-headedness that he hoped to bring to bear.

"Whilst my lady Atomica, as ever speaks in ways that honour me far more than I deserve, the truth is, I have no interest in taking your position, Bombardier." Frostbite said with a smile of thanks toward Atomica before turning back with a more serious expression as he looked at Bombardier.

"As regards Stonelord we hid a hard drive with all his dealings on it, in the mansion he called home before it all went south. That should have all the proof you want. But we are not here to fight you, but once again ask that you'd help us. "

Moving slowly so as to sit down, Frostbite spoke slowly and deliberately seeking to choose his words carefully. It wasn't that he wanted to hide anything, but he knew this wasn't the time for big speeches. But nonetheless, he had to say something before the opportunity could be snatched away in a misunderstood moment.

"Our friend, Reflex, was trapped on the moon. This much you knew, but she's been imprisoned the vessel of deadly creatures of a magical nature. Prof Thoth and Adjutant have warned us about them. They need stopping, their nature is to feed on places like this. Sucking the very life from them like some sort of magical vampire before moving on. As beings of magic and unlike previous enemies we could punch, freeze or flame these, being magical in nature, are of an order we will find difficult to manage...alone."

Frostbite subtly emphasised the word meaning it to have added meaning at a time like this. "Thoth has gone, after warning us, seeking aid, magical aid. And that is how we found ourselves, or rather Nowhere Man found us. You know what he's like...he is not one who makes or keeps friends. He turns up as he sees fit, does what he does and off he pops without so much as a thank you for risking your life!

Besides Bombadier, think about this. You see the weakness in an opponent can't you see the weakness in the argument of us bein being the bad guys here. Why wouldn't we have struck you decisively when you were on the ropes from Eurotrash. Or humiliated you and took advantage of the way they made you look bad. We could have easily sought the space you once occupied. But we didn't because we're not, Nowhere Man's pawns, nor the bad guys here. Besides, haven't you had to prove yourself, at times society or the government begrudgingly thanked you when once again you intervened when some bad guy stomped on the little guy. And all the thanks you got was someone asking who was going to clean up the mess? We are that guy, that is my team. We aren't interested in the limelight, we're interested in making a way for the little guy in a world full of giants looking for whom they can step on next. And that is the reason I've come to talk. Bombardier, we need each other so that we don't end divided and conquered, fighting battles all over the place whilst we're taking on water."

Frostbite looked at the UKChampions leader with a quizzical look as the question of whether he'd agree or not hung in the air between them.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Mar 21 2022, 13:35

FROSTBITE and the VANGUARD
(Currently just him and Battlebug here)

Bombardier scowled then sighed. "My frustration must shine through. My role as leader was to hold the team together whilst our elected leader, Adjutant, recovers. Instead it's been a game of whack-a-mole with the team sent over in a dozen different directions to stamp out attacks by Eurotrash. Some we stopped, others we were too late. It's clear Eurotrash are the same disorganised idiots they always were but someone else is in charge now, guiding and directing them and we're the ones who look like chumps on the back foot."

Majestic hovers nearby. "I'll take the reins if you're not up to the job Bombardier."

Bombardier was about to fire off a savage reply but kept his cool. "As you know our bylaws require ALL members to have their say and the leadership is decided that way. I am a battle leader. Lately I've been drowned under paperwork, meetings and bureaucracy. Then it transpires that Nowhere Man, a known vigilante and long on the most wanted list, has been working with not just Justin St John - the most senior figure in the government for Superhuman activity and liaison - but that you, Frostbite, are an ally of his. Imagine how bad that looks to us? We view you as an ally - Atomica here has long pushed for and used her influence to invite you and yours into the team for membership. Then we track Justin St John to Caer Alwyn and your team attacks ours..."

"It wasn't much of an attack." said Battlebug. "Those guys were pushovers!"

"Not helping." hissed Majestic, hands on hips and glaring at Battlebug. The youngster grinned sheepishly and shrugged "Hey, you know that the boss is badass, right? In a fair one on one fight I'd bet on him against ANY of you guys, no disrespect when I say that. You are powerful but Frosty kicks ass too!"

Atomica nodded "I will vouch for Frostbite's prowess. Our team - the UKChampions - and the country as a whole would benefit immeasurably with him in our ranks!"

"Yet he doesn't want the job." said Majestic. "You heard him. That leaves us at square one. The UKChampions are in disarray. We've lost contact with three of the teams and one of them came back battered. They'll be out of action for days, a week or more even. I can't be in more than one place at once and from the sounds of the report a person very much sounding like Frostbite here was responsible! In another report the Eurotrash morons were robbing a bank vault when our team showed up. There was - and I quote - 'a blur and a rush of air' and our team was tied up with steel rods ripped from the concrete by a force so powerful and so fast they didn't even see it!"

Battlebug glanced at Frostbite. The Vanguardians had faced that pair - Saladin and Frostbyte - and come off very second best indeed...

"Now you say there's some kind of ... magical invasion force on our doorstep and Thoth is involved? If he's involved with you that means he's tied up with St John and Nowhere Man. Right now Frostbite we need something from you. We need... a gesture, an official word, a joining of some kind to placate the powers that be at Whitehall. Behind the scenes is a political ****storm and Bombardier is right. He's not a leader right now, he's a fire fighter trying to stamp out wildfires that are popping up all over the country. With your association with Nowhere Man and Justin St John, right now you are on rocky ground." said Majestic.

Bombardier took up the narrative. "In other words, you are either with us, or against us. You either stand with us as part of the UKChampions or we bring you in and you stay under lock and key until the Nowhere Man situation gets sorted out."

Atomica bristled but bit her tongue due to an almost pleading look from Bombardier. He needed backing up from one of the senior UKChampions and she had to been seen doing so.

With a sigh she turned to Frostbite "I know you value your independence but my team mates are right on this. We need a public 'win' to placate the calls from all quarters - the public, the media, the government, SMITE and SPRITE... the list goes on. Your inclusion in the team ... perhaps not as leader but certainly as a regional commander as I and Majestic are..."

"Now hang on a minute..." said Majestic.

Varangian, the muscled super viking called out "I hev bitten my tongue but can stay silent no longer. Time is of the essence. Either this man and his team joins, or we fight zem und throw zem into a cell and concentrate on solving the problems we hev und think about the Nowhere Man situation another day. He is depowered and chained up in a cell right now. You vant to join him?" he asked, hefting his mighty Battleaxe/Hammer with some menace.

"How about I take that axe and shove it up your..." started Battlebug but he silenced when Frostbite stood to place a hand on his young protege's shoulder.

Atomica stepped close, looking down slightly as she was a tall woman! "We need a win Frostbite. You joining the team will give us that and we will look at what we can do to help Reflex. If you don't...? I'm not on my own but I don't have enough influence to prevent your incarceration whilst the Nowhere Man mess is sorted out. He's wanted for a list of crimes including arson, treason and manslaughter. Some are real, others trumped up but the Government have made it clear. Nowhere Man and anyone who is is associate MUST be brought to justice to answer the charges against them. We can't protect you if you aren't with us. Indeed... we will HAVE to bring you in!"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Mar 21 2022, 13:57

Admin wrote:FROSTBITE and the VANGUARD
(Currently just him and Battlebug here)

Atomica stepped close, looking down slightly as she was a tall woman! "We need a win Frostbite. You joining the team will give us that..."

Frostbite took in her words and that of the group around them. "I think we and this my adopted country need the win as well. The Vanguard are with you on two conditions...Don't worry I am not interested in being difficult. Nor am I wanting to be team leader, mascot or drowning under paperwork. I've always been at my best in the field. I want to make sure that if I make strategic observations I will not be shouted down or countermanded without being listened to. I know you have a chain of command and I respect that, but if you want me to simply follow orders - especially on the field when whatever unfolding needs some latitude then as long as I've got the discretion to respond accordingly, then I and my team are good with working with whoever is in charge. You know my reputation, and how we work so you know I will always do the best I can for the operation, and for the team working with me. Additionally, if my team is respected as full members, after whatever vetting you need, then we are good."

Frostbite held out a hand to Bombadier and looked at him, to see if what he had asked was agreeable and they could shake on it.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 22 2022, 11:57

The UKCHAMPIONS

(incorporating the VANGUARD)

Bombardier looked at the proffered hand. "There will need to be checks, paperwork to go through..."

Atomica had had enough! She stomped up, looking eye to eye with the temporary UKC leader. "NO! I have stood back whilst you have threatened and bullied this man into doing your bidding! No more! Take his hand, shake it! That will be the contract, that will be the paperwork you so desperately desire!"

"Now Princess I..." started Atomica.

Majestic, still floating ten feet off the ground, butted in "You know, the Princess is right Bombardier. This man has nothing to prove to us. Quite frankly if this suddenly all went south I don't think we four could take these two. We know about the boy's potential and this man is a proven asset, one I will be proud to call a comrade."

Varangian bristled and glanced at the injured Shamrock on crutches. "You've been quiet." he growled.

"Aye, I'm barely fit tae stand, never mind offer an opinion an' get between them two hotheads!" he replied.

Atomica spun, eyes narrowing at Shamrock who shrugged. "Frostbite gets my vote. I don't want him fer an enemy an' right now wid no Adjutant we're seriously lackin' in firepower. These two provide it, in spades. Shake th' man's hand n let's get down tae business."

Bombardier looked around, then at Frostbite as he shook his hand. "Welcome to the UKChampions!" he declared.

The DICE commander, Major Robins, breathed a sigh of relief. Since DICE had been usurped by SMITE and SPRITE the agency had been low key and used for low profile operations. "Now that's out of the way." he said "We need you to talk to the prisoner, get some information out of him."

=========

Escorted by Varangian and Shamrock (on crutches) as well as the DICE armed escort, Battlebug and Frostbite were led into a service elevator and taken down... down ... down...

"This facility is a relic of the cold war, a nuclear bunker under the ground. We don't have the resources or finance of the Americans to create an 'Ultramax' facility for holding prisoners but this serves our purposes up to a point. It doesn't mean much but no one has ever escaped from here, unlike the Ultramax in the States. Things are bad over there. The President is still held hostage on the Ultrahumans' satellite orbiting the Earth and the escaped prisoners are making hay while the sun shines." said Robins, shaking his head. "It makes it more vital that we hold things together on our side of the pond and get our house in order so we can help our friends... your countrymen Frostbite, out."

"I crave the thrill of Battle!" hissed Varangian, head almost scraping the ceiling of the 7' high elevator. "They will not let me depart for the United States though." he growled.

"Careful what you wish for." said Shamrock. "I took a kickin' an' were it not fer Frosty here and his boyo my luck woulda run out. We got our own battles tae fight laddie, you'll get yer turn."

"Ah, quite." said Robins. "On various levels of this facility are research and development labs and training areas. Please don't deviate from the path as you don't have security clearance."

A glance from Shamrock.

"Some of you do. Frostbite, Battlebug, ah, not yet." added Robins.

The door hissed open and armed, armoured guards in bulky battlesuits eased up when they saw Robins hold up his keycard. "Special authorisation. They're with me."

"Please wait there for confirmation." crackled a modulated voice from a dark blue metal helmet.

Battlebug leaned over with a finger to poke at one of the armoured suited men before he heard a modulated growl. "Don't."

"Touchy." said the youngster with a grin and a smile.

"You're cleared Major Robins. Do not deviate from the illuminated path. Six, Eleven, escort them. DICE Agents, remain here. UKChampions, you are cleared with the stipulation that you do not deviate from the course Major Robins sets. We are monitoring." said the armoured guard.

Varangian looked down at the armoured man and leaned in. "Ye need tae show a little respect." he hissed before walking behind Robins.

The cells gave no clue of who was in them and finally the group stopped outside one. "He won't cooperate with us. Maybe he'll talk to you before we need to get more... persuasive." said Robins.

The hatch hissed open.

Dressed only in a jockstrap with metal restraints in a frame holding him in place with barely any chance of movement, Frostbite was shocked to see the state of Nowhere Man. Unshaven with a few days growth of beard, his pale body bore old ragged scars and new flowering bruises. His head was bowed, his hair shaven close to the scalp where more scars were visible. At the sound of the door opening he raised his head.

Caldwell had taken something of a beating. One eye was bruised and swollen closed, the other bloodshot. His face was puffed up on one side and his lip was split. Blinking his one good eye, he peered at the doorway then up at the strange coloured lights coming from the ceiling.

"Heh, wondered if you'd toe the line and doff the cap to 'the man' Frostbite." he rasped, throat dry. "Don't step into the room. I recognised Wandafars' handiwork and it does a good job of making you feel... normal. Needless to say I don't think much of room service and the decor is all a bit..." he glanced around "1950s bomb shelter."

"Boss..." said Battlebug, moving forward until a hand from Frostbite gave him pause.

"They'll use you boy." rasped Nowhere Man. "Figure out what makes you tick... find a way to copy you... or try at least..."

"Be quiet!" ordered Robins. "Prisoner, you've been uncooperative so far. Have you had a change of heart? It will go better on you in the long run."

"What, you'll pee less in my porridge? Robins, Arthur Kenneth, born September 9th 1982. Third of three sons, Mother Jennifer, Father Kenneth Alfred Robins, retired army Colonel. You live with your boyfriend and two cats and went on holiday last four years ago. Your BF is getting fed up of your career chasing antic..."

"SHUT UP!" roared Robins, stepping into the room and striding across to Caldwell. With no super powers he was unaffected by the rays beaming down and struck Caldwell with a backhand across the face.

Nowhere Man reeled, then grinned with blood trickling from his mouth...

"Bosss...." hissed Battlebug. The boy sounded angry...

"Calm down boy." snarled Varangian, towering over Frostbite and Battlebug where they stood in the corridor. He hefted his Axe/Hammer with ease. "We're on the same side..."

"Are we?" snarled Battlebug. "Are we, Frostbite?" he asked....

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Mar 23 2022, 13:16

Admin wrote:The UKCHAMPIONS

"Calm down boy." snarled Varangian, towering over Frostbite and Battlebug where they stood in the corridor. He hefted his Axe/Hammer with ease. "We're on the same side..."

"Are we?" snarled Battlebug. "Are we, Frostbite?" he asked...

Frostbite looked past them all to Nowhere Man, "You know I've seen the way prisoners can be treated by the Nazis.  Believe me when I say I fought on your side and saw how prisoners of war were treated.  I saw how inhuman men could be.  But I never thought I'd live to see that same mentality, brutality here.  We are judged my friends not on how we uphold our laws, but also on how we treat those who break them.  Yes, the punishment must fit the crime, yet how decided that the best way to punish this man was to inflict upon him whatever petty anger they had with their fists.  I always believed we were better than this and if you think this is acceptable, then we need to think again!"  Frostbite moved forward under the rays of the cell he knew it would drain his powers.  But he strode forward anyway, his ice sheet falling away revealing his new suit underneath.  

"When we stoop to this level, what is keeping us from being the bad guys?  NO wonder you couldn't get any information out of this man, who could he trust if this is how you treat him."  Frostbite turned to Caldwell, "I'm not keen on your methods or the way you do what you do, whatever your justification.  But I do not accept what has been done to you or anyone like this either."

Turning back to the others Frostbite said in a voice that was trying hard to restrain due to his simmering anger, "We wouldn't treat animals with this much cruelty, and yet we treat this man like this?  Better we instigate the death penalty than keep someone in this state.  You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  How can we even trust what he told us under these conditions?  Torture is a totally unreliable method for getting information.  Besides if you want me and the team with you, if you want to defeat those who would threaten our shores, we've got to do so getting our own house in order rather than employing their methods.  Do you understand!"  Frostbite moved away from Caldwell, back away from the beams towards Battle Bug where he said, "We are on the same side, but we don't have the same methods, but that has to change!"

And with that, he strode out of the cell [OOC: Unless anyone stops him] utterly ashamed of what he had seen and found on British soil, to find a space outside to calm down and think.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 24 2022, 14:23

FROSTBITE and BATTLEBUG

OOC I don't know if we ever established whether Frostbite wore a mask or relied on his ice form to obscure features, but in the grand scheme of things for someone like Frosty it's only convenience he maintains a secret identity for as his relatives aren't in his life or would even know who he was 80 years or so after WWII. Let's assume he wears an *all concealing* (chuckle) Domino mask.

Robins' eyes widened as Frostbite walked under the debilitating rays and he turned to Varangian! "He's powerless! Quick! The other one!" Varangian's eyes widened and he looked at Battlebug, seeming to debate whether to do nothing or push the boy into the room.

Battlebug whirled, boosting himself and launching at the much bigger man!

OOC MULTI on three, GFB +4/-6 Adren Surge 24 + Accuracy 4D + Roll(6d12)+0: 12,7,6,10,12,12,+0 Total:24 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0:
11,2,+0 Total:37 (61) vs
OV8 + Multi 4 + GFB 4 + Roll(2d12)+0: 7,9,+0 Total:16 (32) Success +8
EV24 + 8 (EV32) vs RV8 + Multi 4 - GFB 6 (RV6)=26 RAPs
Dex to 34, Str to 32, Pow Reserve to 34 split 16/16 to Kinetic (20) and Energy (21) Absorption. 1 point to Dex (35) and Str (33)

Dex 35 + 4D M Arts + Roll(6d12)+0: 8,3,6,2,7,1,+0 Total:15 (50) vs
OV11 + Acro 2D (Weaponry 3D) + Roll(4d12)+0: 4,2,5,10,+0 Total:15 (26) Success +7
EV33 +7 (EV40)vs RV 19=21 RAPs
Varangian absorbs 3 damage (HP) and is on Body 1/19 but is STUNNED

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..." Smack

With a blow that would have crumpled a Battleship Battlebug is a blur and backhands Varangian with enough power to shake the entire - massive - concrete structure!!!

Varangian staggers then sags to the floor, drunkenly fumbling for the powerful BattleAxe/Hammer with nerveless fingers... He drunkenly drawls "Boy... by Valhalla... you shall... pay... for that blow!"

Shamrock raised one hand (the other holding a crutch) and hollers "Hey!" as Battlebug takes a stride towards him. "I didn't think he was gonna do anything! I'm in no shape... I can't..." With a hand raised Battlebug stopped and turned to his leader stood with powers draining with every heartbeat in the room.

Frostbite turned... into a gun barrel! Robins held a pistol pointed directly at Frostbites' head!

"Your attack dog shouldn't have done that Frostbite." hissed Robins.

There was a cough and Frostbite, Battlebug, Shamrock, even Varangian and Robins flicked a glance in Nowhere Man's direction, trussed up as he was in the metal frame that prevented movement.

"Do you know why I'm so hated, feared and hunted? Any of you? Even you, Frostbite, who are about the nearest human being I know I can call a friend?" he asked through puffy lips. "The dark power that inhabits me, this cadre of demons that empowers me, chuckle at my attempts to do good. The multiverse has infinite numbers of us. Sometimes they interact but most times we carry on our lives without any knowledge of alternate selves."

"I know about my alternate selves. Countless... more than Billions, Trillions. It drives me mad when I look at the others and see what they have experienced, all at different times to my own. It gives me an insight, a perspective as to what *might* happen here in this timeline I call home. I say might because I can try my best to change, alter, influence the time line. Sometimes it takes a word, a warning, threat. Other times I need to take drastic action to steer away from the iceberg of a fire engulfing a school, a corrupt politician turning a blind eye to slavery or a secret society of corrupt Policemen who engage in murder, corruption and other foul activities. I am a murderer. I am a traitor, an arsonist, a thief, a villain to the outside observer."

"I can't deny any of that."

"Everything I do is to steer this timeline towards what I hope is a greater good. It's awful. When I was Wraith the superhero I tried to toe the line, be whiter than white. The day Sarah was gunned down whilst I was being a good guy in a cape snapped me. It broke me. Something changed and the Lore Knights soon booted me out when they found out I exacted revenge using my powers on the mobsters who'd discovered my identity and taken it out on my fiance as punishment for taking out their drugs ring. They were already setting up a new operation when I as Wraith turned up. They laughed in my face, saying there was no proof and their fancy lawyers would have them out in no time. They were right... and wrong."

"So was I, but I don't regret reaching into their chests, one by one, and squeezing."

Robins nervously chuckled. "Yes, yes, but you're here now. The Government and all the experts know what you can do. You're an untapped resource to see into the future, to predict things no one else can! You can atone for your sins..."

"Really?" replied Nowhere Man. "A politician came down here a few hours ago wanting me to fill out a list of shares and stock prices. Another with him wanted to know the sporting results for the next few years. One woman practically strangled me to get the next week's lottery results. I'm a criminal? Sure. But the people who wanted my head aren't doing it out of some sense of justice! I'll be locked up here forever until I start spilling the beans. Do you know that there is an evil version of Frostbite right now in this reality?"

Frostbite bristled but was aware of the gun at his head still.

"He's conflicted but driven by a sense of duty he cannot overcome. I have dirt on practically everyone, everywhere, at any time. How about you Robins? Do you want me to tell everyone here how you got your uncle to change his will and increased the dose of his..."

Robins started, spinning the gun around to Nowhere Man's head!

Frostbite lunged forward. Even without powers he was an experienced combatant and after a brief struggle pushed Robins' to the floor, the gun wrested from his hand.

Nowhere Man smiled. "You haven't done that. Yet." he said to Robins. "But you might have done. Now? It's out there."

"Do you know the curse of Kassandra? She uttered true prophecies but the curse was no one would believe her. Until something happens to make my prophecies seem plausible I'm just a nut job in a mask. I'm usually too later to act at the last moment. I can't be everywhere. Think of my job as being at the head of a river that's forever splitting into other branches before it gets to the sea and is lost in amidst the ocean. I know what is going to happen but I need to act in enough time to stop it happening. That means doing things to people who haven't even had the idea of going bad yet. You know how crazy that sounds? Worst part is, the demons inside won't let me end it all. I'm cursed to do this, to help in the best way I can whilst the demons laugh at how much dirtier I have to become until I'm in the pit with them and no different from the bad guys I want to stop."

"By the way. What time is it?"

Robins frowned. "What?"

Varangian stood up, eyes glaring at Battlebug, but he glanced at an old timepiece he fished from a pouch and said "15.45. Why?"

"Hmmm." said Nowhere Man.

He turned to Frostbite, still holding the gun. "I outed Justin, made a real mess of things, right? Right ... now, or at least in the next minute or so, your base, your former base, is being bombed by British high explosive drones. Several UKChampions bases are being hit by drones or super villains. A SMITE base is being wiped off the face of the Earth in Cumbria, all hands lost. I tried to stop it all. I sent anonymous emails, messages, I threatened a Government minister to get them to act, to send word out. Without proof I was Nowhere Man the criminal, the traitor, the vigilante, spreading lies and untruths. I knew what would happen despite my best efforts."

"So I had to come up with something else."

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #13 "Heavy is the head that wears the crown..." Kerrump

The base shook!

Battlebug called out "What have you done?!?!?" to Nowhere Man.

"Me?" laughed Nowhere Man. "I'm locked up in here! I've done nothing boy! THAT is Eurotrash under Frostbyte and Saladins' leadership using BRITISH weapons to strike at their own facilities in a coordinated strike across the country. They aren't a joke any more. They are going for the throat. Before I outed Justin I sent a timed anonymous email and recorded voice message suggesting a bomb threat to the houses of Parliament and Downing Street. I hope they took me seriously otherwise..."

He left that there then turned to Frostbite. "You're the best man I know. I am sure you think I'm a lost cause and all this could have been done another way, but your team are safe, away from the ruins of their old base. You and the youngster are here in one of the deepest most secure bomb shelters in the country and I tried my best to raise the alarm for the UKChampions, the Government, Police, Armed Forces, SMITE, SPRITE and even these idiots at DICE. So many acronyms. I hope Dawson used what I sent him."

He looked up at the ceiling.

"Wandafar 17Q49." he stated.

The ray turned off and he phased through the metal restraints.

Leaning down to Robins he snarled, grabbing the man's shirt. "I *DON'T* like being strip searched and beaten. I *DON'T* like having to deal with scumbags because they aren't quite as evil as the scumbags I'm after and I *DON'T* like people pointing guns at the head of the only friend I have!" he snarled. "Leave your Uncle alone or I'll hunt you down! As for right now? Get up there in..." he looked across the room to where Varangian stood, towering over Battlebug.

Varangian, stunned at the turn of events muttered "15.47."

"17 minutes. No sooner. It's a mess up there." he snarled and tossed Robins to the floor. An all black costume formed over Nowhere Man, head to foot with black swirling cape. He turned to Frostbite who was iced up again.

"You need to get to Downing Street." he rasped from behind the mask, adding "Pronto."

OOC Could only use some of your post to get that point across but hope it wasn't too much of a slog to read!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next