The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #12 "Something bad this way comes."

3 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #12 "Something bad this way comes." - Page 2 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #12 "Something bad this way comes."

Post  Admin Wed Mar 24 2021, 23:29

Catherine nods "Thought you might say something like that given your recent dealings with Thoth. I called as soon as we got back. Had to leave a message. Out of town." she winced.

"I don't know what that means with Thoth." she admitted.

"I'll keep trying. I'll also see what other lists are out there on supers, scour newspapers, blogs, social media and the like, see what the buzz is. Maybe someone not on the radar..." she pondered.

"As for Yeoman? He's off the radar. No one has seen him for a while. Last I heard he was in France." she said. "France is off limits to us, like all of Europe. The Advent aligned government has said that ANY kind of incursion will be viewed as a hostile act. The European union is a puppet organisation now. In the year you were off in the microverse things changed a lot. The world shifted on its political axis and I just know Advent are nice on the outside but rotten to the core."

Frostbite considered that. Rumours abounded of experimentation, people going missing, a hardline stance to any non Advent aligned countries. The fact was that the sheer numbers of superhumans in Britain and America kept them safe against anything Advent or their puppet governments could throw at them. Unless something happened to undermine that superhuman strength...

The British government could criticise the superhuman community only so far. It needed them in a way that the public were never made fully aware. Without them? There was practically nothing that the United Kingdom Armed Forces could do against an Alien equipped army.

Still... the UKChampions had been dealt a serious blow indeed today. They were the first line of defence because of their size and strength though Adjutant had been out of action for a while now and he was their heaviest hitter.

The country was ripe for... he didn't know. Something bad.

The Vanguard were probably the last line of defence. If something got through the UKC it would be up to Frostbite to be ready. Something had.

Wandafar had been pondering the whole while then nodded. "I em heffin problems mit parts und stuff. Hef to order through dummy companies because..."

"Advent." said Frostbite.

"Ja. Anything zet could be used to make ze super machines I make gets watched und if it all starts arriving in ze UK? Zey are not dummies. Catherine uses ze flyer to pick stuff up for me..."

"From where?" asked Frostbite.

"Oh... you know. Places we are not supposed to be going. Hey! She is not superhuman!" he shrugged.

Frostbite was aghast. This was something he didn't know about, but then... he'd been away, busy... he sighed. Wandafar needed parts to build a robotic body for Timmy and a suit for himself and Billy. If they couldn't be manufactured in the UK that meant China or America for the most part. Or the EU.

"Ve take precautions. Also... next shipment is from France und ve may be giving ze help to a couple of stowaways. Dr Praetorious und Yeoman." he said. "Ve are just waiting for ze right time. Till zen? I hef gone as far as I can. My manufacturing process is darned advanced but to make ze alloys for ze strength I need certain rare earth stuff. I'll keep you updated."

Frostbite nodded and left, heading for his room where he fished out a ski mask and a change of clothes in a rucksack.

=========

It looked to be an innocuous office block in the capital. There was a heavy police presence on the streets with armed patrols but that was somewhat like a stable door horse bolting thing.

Public transport was down, the streets were still gridlocked with abandoned cars. Eurotrash had ground London to a standstill and only now hours later was it starting to wake up.

Frostbite flashed the key card Dawson had given him. No identification save that he was SMITE and above the pay grade of the cops and army personnel who asked at the end of the street. A Captain with a stick up his ass (something had to explain why he was uptight) demanded more ID but a call to the number on the card made him go pale and he waved Joe Rigdon through.

Dawson had assured him he had no interest in his secret ID. Truth was it didn't matter much to Frostbite. He WAS Frostbite and the reason to keep his ID secret was to protect his team rather than any family. No, he got that wrong. The Vanguard WAS his family.

In the shadow of an alley he pulled on the ski mask and entered the revolving door of the foyer. Armed guards watched him slide the card to an ID scanner then read his retina. Green. He passed through a checkpoint and was met by a woman in a smart suit.

'She's an artificial life form' said Frostbot. Frostbite raised an eyebrow but smiled when 'Miss Ross' asked him to follow her.

The lift pinged and  a man in uniform stoof at the entrance, grim look on his face.

Bombardier looked at the man in the ski mask in front of him then sighed before holding out a hand to shake. "We screwed up." he mumbled. "Underestimated Eurotrash. We've spent so long looking at the 'big picture' that the jokes, the people we thought below ouor notice and way below our level of expertise got outside help. Upgraded."

A look on the masked man's face suggested something else.

OOC Infl 9 + Roll(2d12)+0: 12,7,+0 Total:19 (28) vs
OV8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 7,2,+0 Total:9 (17) +5 (to 12) vs RV10=2 RAPs

1) There's something Bombardier hasn't mentioned.
2-3) The pained look on his face suggests its something he views as deeply personal, possibly some kind of betrayal.

"Come this way." said Bombardier. He led the way down a corridor past dark blue jump suited men and women who staffed this UKC office.

A pair of double doors opened to a large corner office and a very large table with a few people sat around it. All were in costume, UKChampions. He nodded to Atomica who was powered down but wore a mask.

A skinny guy in civvies stood "I'm Sage. You haven't met me before because I work behind the scenes, directing field operations where required. I have a question for you Frostbite. Do you know, right now, where Battlebug is? At this very moment?"

Frostbite was about to answer when Sage operated a remote control to activate a large flatscreen on the wall. "Camera 14." he said to a voice activated control.

"Zoom." he added. "Level 4."

The camera view was of a skyscraped roof not far away overlooking this building. It zoomed in on a figure crouched down watching the building. Battlebug.

"The boy is a loose cannon. He needs turning over to us. That's not a request." said Sage.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #12 "Something bad this way comes." - Page 2 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #12 "Something bad this way comes."

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Mar 25 2021, 13:02

Admin wrote:Frostbite was about to answer when Sage operated a remote control to activate a large flatscreen on the wall. "Camera 14." he said to a voice activated control.

"Zoom." he added. "Level 4."

The camera view was of a skyscraped roof not far away overlooking this building. It zoomed in on a figure crouched down watching the building. Battlebug.

"The boy is a loose cannon. He needs turning over to us. That's not a request." said Sage.

Frostbite nodded he wasn't surprised but was a little disappointed. Nonetheless, he wasn't about to let them know that.

"And you point is?" Frostbite took a seat and looked up at the team's strategist. "We have been through this with the Government and for now, the lad is ours, but I want to work together on this. Look we haven't time to play who gets to pick first for teams. You were severely humiliated but worse still, it showed how clever and dangerous Eurotrash and whoever is pulling their strings can be. This will play into Advent's hands, as it's the upset they need to make our nation long to invite them in if we do not hold this ground! So Sage, let me say whilst we can debate who should get what, right now I am more concerned about working together to combine our strengths and cover our weaknesses. Once the dust is settled and we have something like a working country not under the cloud of Advent and certainly the storm that is Eurotrash reborn, can we afford ourselves the luxury of worrying about who's playing for which side. Besides if we work together on this, it's a moot point anyway."

Frostbite didn't like nor have time for any petty games or power plays. He was strictly business. He appreciated that Sage was concerned about Battle Bug, heck he was right to be. But Billy seemed to respond to Frostbite in a way he knew few others could count on. Right now they had more pressing issues and if he could reassure them that by keeping them together as a team, anyway, it made who did what with whom irrelevant - for now at least.

OOC: OK so let's see if we can work together to form a bigger deck from which to play a hand. I don't mind stepping aside as a team leader if that is what needs to happen. I would rather we combine forces as Vanguard is a bit overmatched for what is coming alone. Joe is used to the chain of command so has no problem going with the smartest guy in the room provided their objectives are the same and so are their methods.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 25 2021, 14:08

Atomica was quite stern when she spoke up "We've been through this. The boy IS a liability... in the hands of anyone else. Frostbite IS the best mentor for him and we need to focus on what is important. Getting our people back and striking back at Eurotrash."

Sage scowled and looked about the room. Bombardier met his eyes and rolled, them, waving away any protest he was about to add. Sage shook his own head, glanced about, then sighed.

"Alright. This isn't over though. My projections put him almost, or on a par with Adjutant. He, by the way, is still injured and recovering, which is unusual." said Sage.

Shamrock spoke up. "What happened to him? Details are sketchy... can we...?"

"I will vouch for Frostbite." said Atomica. "Sage."

Sage raised an eyebrow, glanced at Frostbite then spoke. "What I am saying now is of national security highest level. Not to be repeated. Adjutant returned from his deep space mission critically injured. He said 'they are coming' and he's been in a coma ever since."

"How?" asked Varangian, a powerfully built man in tight spandex that seemed to strain with every movement. He looked like a body builder who'd gone crazy on steroids and the chair creaked alarmingly as he moved. "Adjutant is the greatest of us all. Even Majestic and I pale in comparison. Atomica is..." He adjusted the six foot long axe perched against the table before it fell - and doubtless smashed through several floors. It looked... sharp.

"I can speak for myself. Adjutant IS more powerful than I but my skills are unmatched. There would be no easy or clear winner if we were to..." she said.

"Princess, please." said Sage, with a hand up. "Adjutant suffered from numerous fractures and something else. An organic 'thing' inside him. It looked like a plant of some kind."

"A plant? Can it not just be...?" started Bombardier.

"Removed? We tried. It's fused to his central nervous system. His body shut down in response and prevents it from spreading but it may have only slowed the integration." said Sage. "Is anyone here COMPLETELY invulnerable? I mean, sealed, totally? No need to breathe, eat, no apertures for ears, nose, mouth... other functions?" A glance around the room suggested not. "Then we're all vulnerable. Whatever that was resisted Adjutants best attempts to stop it and infected him, for want of a better word. His last words were 'they are coming' before he passed out."

"Great." said Shamrock. "Pile more misery on top of the heap. We haven't had enough lately. What has Bloodhound found out?"

"He's on the scene right now. No one tracks better than he does." said Sage. "Before anyone asks, no the implant doesn't appear to track them any more. As far as we can tell, they were... removed."

The UKChampions looked uncomfortable. Frostbot spoke up in his head 'The UKChampions each have an implant, surgically placed, that tracks them and acts as Identification, payment for services even, from a central processing area.'

Sage glanced up and a second later the screen switched to a blur. "What? Computer, split cameras 4 through 17 on screen now."

The 'blur' moved from one to another fighting against dark clad humanoids that were clearly outmatched. Across rooftops, on the sides of buildings, in the air... Frostbite sighed.

"Sir!" said a blue jump suited/body armoured woman as she burst in through the double doors. "There's... there's a situation. Commander Crannick didn't like the fact there is an unclassified metahuman on the... oh." she looked at the screen. "He sent a containment crew, which was... uh."

All eyes turned to the screen as the 'containment crew' - androids costing millions of pounds each - blasted with sonics, lasers, flame throwers, nets, glue, vibration and who knew what else against the blur who moved amongst them. As it passed a crumpled, mashed up into a cube heap was left behind.

"Sir they... that's... who ...? Should we scramble all...?" asked the female officer.

Sage turned to Frostbite. "Would you mind calling off your pitbull?" he held his hands up. "I accept it's not his fault but I'd rather save myself millions of pounds in repair bills or..."

All eyes looked at the screen. The 'cubes' of mashed up and crumpled androids had been stacked on a flat roof neatly into a Pyramid. Battlebug was gleefully pounding on two more with the leg of a smashed up android.

Sage facepalmed and muttered "It's going to be one of those days. Frostbite, if you please?"

=========

"Ah hey boss!" said Battlebug, sat on the edge of the roof with a thirty foot high pyramid of cubed androids stacked up behind.

Frostbite flew out accompanied by Atomica and Varangian, who was faster than his seven foot tall and bulging physique suggested. His axe granted him the ability to fly and he looked for all the world like a Viking.

"BOY!" roared the Viking. "You... you..."

Atomica, keeping a distance from Frostbite as she was sheathed in fire, swooped in front of the furious viking. "Battlebug is a friend and..."

Varangian frowned with big bushy eyebrows. "OUT OF THE WAY WENCH!"

Frostbite cringed.

Atomica bristled before Varangian roared "BOY! YOU FIGHT LIKE A VIKING!"

Frostbite gaped as the massive man hugged the diminutive youngster with only his feet sticking out of the builk of the fellow. He poked his head out and spluttered "Ugh. Deoderant dude!"

Atomica turned to Frostbite and dminished her flame. "We need to work together on this. We will be in touch later."

=========

Elsewhere...

"They're coming for you, you know." she said, the manacles on her wrists preventing her from changing form. Crystal Queen was frightened but tried to keep it from her voice.

The darkened warehouse was bad enough but the light from the skylight on the centre of the room, her on a chair, bound. "Ummm I don't mean to be rude, but... isn't this a little cliched? When my friends come... and they will... they'll..."

She was cut off as a pale blue glow shone as a door opened.

Crystal Queen looked up through bruised eyes and gasped. "YOU!"

"Your friends will come?" asked one of two men that entered the room.

He hissed, face partially revealed by the blue light on the other mans chest to reveal his own trident beard and handsome though evilly twisted features as he snarled "I'm counting on it!"

=========

"I just wanted to make sure you were ok." said Battlebug. "After all you do for me and now that I've..."

Frostbite flew along with an ice hemisphere in hand and Battlebug perched on top. Ice and cold didn't seem to bother him and it was easier this way than having him jump.

'Message incoming.' said Frostbot. 'The UKChampions have a lead and are requesting you turn around.'

Only Battlebug and Frostbite were in the field and were half way back home but the UKChampions would have plenty on the scene. Did he want to delay things by getting the others out here or should he and BB just go back?

"Wassup Boss?" asked Battlebug again, his antennae on his helmet drooping - a feature of Wandafars no doubt to reflect the boys mood. "Did I screw up again?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Mar 25 2021, 19:58

Admin wrote:'Message incoming.' said Frostbot. 'The UKChampions have a lead and are requesting you turn around.'

Only Battlebug and Frostbite were in the field and were half way back home but the UKChampions would have plenty on the scene. Did he want to delay things by getting the others out here or should he and BB just go back?

"Wassup Boss?" asked Battlebug again, his antennae on his helmet drooping - a feature of Wandafars no doubt to reflect the boys mood. "Did I screw up again?"

Frostbite shook his head. "Billy there is a difference between messing up and making mistakes. Unfortunately, your mistakes pack a super-sized punch. But not this time." Frostbite explained the reason for them halting their progress.

He called in on the Mansion, "Catherine, the UKC think they might have a lead. Not sure if it's worth suiting and booting the rest of the team for what may well be just some grunt work. But I'd let you know, we might be late for dinner. Perhaps have the others on standby and the transport warmed up in case we get into a tight pinch. Can't be too careful it would seem these days. OK?"

Frostbite was already on his way back to the UKChampions and telling Frostbot as he signed off from Catherine trying not to get a sigh as he did so. 'Frostbot, let them know we are inbound!'

OOC: And away we go...

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Mar 28 2021, 20:04

"The others won't be happy to sit on their hands whilst you and BBug have all the fun. Sorry. He just said he was 'going out' and Jeeves informed me he'd boinged off the estate. No genius IQ required to know what he was doing." said Catherine. "To be honest I'm glad you're not alone out there but the lad needs watching. Where he goes, insurances rates skyrocket! We'll be waiting for your call. Base out."

Frostbite took to the air and Battlebug bounced along, checking his speed along with Frostbite to return to the UKChampions building...

...where android workers were moving/shovelling/shifting the pile of Android cubes that made up a pyramid as Atomica, Varangian, Shamrock and Bombardier watched and waited, looking up as the Vanguardians returned.

Bombardier bristled, looking at Battlebug. "I was rather hoping you'd have sent the boy home." he said to Frostbite.

Varangian, the seven foot high muscled bound super viking gaped. "What? That would be madness! His power and potential should not be sidelined! I for one am looking forward to fighting alongside both of these famous warriors!"

Atomica tried her best not to roll her eyes and commented "I have fought alongside both and can vouch for them, especially Frostbite. Have no fear that they can look after themselves."

"Right, well I'm in charge of this op. You're here as support." he said to Frostbite. It wasn't a question.

As Shamrock and Bombardier set off at speed over the rooftops, sprinting, jumping, line swinging, Atomica took to the sky and immolated whilst Varangian laughed and whirled his huge axe, being pulled into the sky as he took off and soared after them.

"Those guys have seriously sticks up their asses. Just sayin." said Battlebug.

=========

Frostbite recognised Bloodhound from having worked with him previously.

The grim faced hero nodded "Frostbite." he offered by way of greeting. He turned to Shamrock. "We have our people leaning on low lifes. One suggested checking this place out."

They were in dingy back streets near an industrial estate and Bloodhound was stood over a sewer hatch which had been lifted. He wrinkled his nose and pointed at the hatch. "Someone brought Crystal Queen here. They know I have a super acute sense of smell so brought her to a place where the other scents would overwhelm my scent but it's better than they expect. However, I'm not stupid enough to go down there on my own."

"I can't fit in that little place!" roared Varangian.

"I cannot use my flames down there." said Atomica. "It would ignite the gasses with horrendous consequences."

"Go back to the HQ and respond to any issues." said Bombardier. "Myself, Shamrock and Bloodhound will follow the trail with the Vanguardians as muscle."

Battlebug struck a pose and flexed a muscle whilst Varangian frowned. "If there is battle you need potent warriors who can..."

Shamrock held up a hand and interjected "And we'll let you know when there are heads to crack. We'll need more than we have here from the sounds of it. The point is we might go down there and lose the trail, be led down a wild goose chase, basically we might get dirty and smelly for nothing. When we DO find out you two are fast enough to be anywhere in London in seconds so wait for the call."

Varangian huffed but turned to Frostbite "If a battle starts make sure to call upon me! I would be distraught to miss another!"

Atomica took to the air and called out "We shall patrol and wait for the call!"

Varangian followed and Shamrock dropped down the hatch to SPLOSH twenty feet below.

Bombardier followed and Bloodhound nodded to Frostbite and Battlebug. "I am glad you are here. Your skill and power are not in doubt but there is much going on here that is yet to be revealed..."

=========

"Well, the dry cleaning bill is gonna make Wandy splutter." muttered Battlebug as he crept along the roof of the tunnel despite its slimy surface.

"Your powers of adhesion are impressive." grunted Bombardier. "Those walls must be thick with the slime and muck of ages." he whispered.

"Gonna be a challenge to get my nails clean, gotta say." muttered the youngster.

The blue light from Frostbite's chestplate shone about and provided a small amount of light. The tunnel got louder as water roared and arrived at a junction with five off tunnels. The place stank.

Bloodhound knelt, looking about. "Footsteps in the slime, but criss crossed and back tracking." he said.

Looking about, it seemed impossible to find out which way they'd gone.

OOC Adren Surge 24 + accuracy 4D + Roll(6d12)+0: 1,12,12,12,9,11,+0 Total:24 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0:
6,7,+0 Total:37 (61) vs
OV8 + Go for broke 8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 1,3,+0 Total:4 (20) Success +9 (to 33) vs RV8 - 12 (GFB)=37 RAPs. Power Reserve boosted to 45. All applied to Analytical Smell 4.

AV49 + Roll(2d12)+0: 2,5,+0 Total:7 (56) vs
OV8 + modifier (beyond the limit) +14 + Roll(2d12)+0: 4,6,+0 Total:10 (32) Success +7 (to 56) vs RV29=27 RAPs.

Bloodhound looked about, conversing with Shamrock. Bombardier came over to Frostbite and Battlebug. "Bloodhound thinks it could be one of two tunnels and possibly a third. We will get forensics gear down here and Sage can coordinate SMITE operatives to check out where these tunnels lead. We'll set up..." Bombardier stopped as he saw Battlebug hold up a hand as if at school.

"Be quiet boy, the grown ups are talking." growled Bombardier.

He continued. "In the meantime we'll divide into teams and check these tunnels out and report back here. We might find that..." he shouted over the roar of the water, then scowled as Battlebug was hopping about with his hand in the air. "What is wrong with the boy? Does he need to the toilet? I don't think anyone will notice down here..." growled Bombardier.

Battlebug shook his head. "Boss! THAT tunnel." he said, pointig at one that hadn't been indicated by Bloodhound.

Bombardier scowled. "Bloodhound is the BEST at tracking, probably on the planet boy. His senses far outstrip ANYTHING you think you can do. Frostbite, if the boy is going to be annoying maybe he should go wait at the HQ with Atomica and Varangian..."

Battlebug was biting his tongue, hopping about and clearly agitated. Somehow the antenna on his helmet were rigid and jutting straight up! "Boss! I'm telling ya, they took her THAT way. The other ways... they are false trails!"

Frostbite wasn't quite sure why BBug was so adamant. He'd never made much of a claim to have superhuman senses...

Shamrock came over. "Send the boy back Frostbite." he ordered.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Mar 28 2021, 21:33

Admin wrote:Battlebug shook his head. "Boss! THAT tunnel." he said, pointig at one that hadn't been indicated by Bloodhound.

Bombardier scowled. "Bloodhound is the BEST at tracking, probably on the planet boy. His senses far outstrip ANYTHING you think you can do. Frostbite, if the boy is going to be annoying maybe he should go wait at the HQ with Atomica and Varangian..."

Battlebug was biting his tongue, hopping about and clearly agitated. Somehow the antenna on his helmet were rigid and jutting straight up! "Boss! I'm telling ya, they took her THAT way. The other ways... they are false trails!"

Frostbite wasn't quite sure why BBug was so adamant. He'd never made much of a claim to have superhuman senses...

Shamrock came over. "Send the boy back Frostbite," he ordered.

Frostbite held up his hand. "Shamrock out of respect I am happy to defer to you. But that boy is my teammate and has an assigned name. I'd like you to extend him the same courtesy as you would me. His name is Battle Bug. Now as we both know his powers are phenomenal but they're also developing. I've noticed he is capable of surprising me...often." He said with a quick look back to Billy.

"Moreover, I am beginning to be a little concerned. We are taken into a small space which limited certain members from joining us. Moreover, they deliberately lay false tracks, why do that? Why would you take people down here and then lay a false trail unless you...were laying a trap! Split us up perhaps assuming that Bloodhound would run foul in this place. Moreover, your coms, I bet they haven't had a chance to be updated and if they jam them again...who can you call for back up?

Frostbite ran some other things in his mind, there was no need to say more, Shamrock was smart, he could see that by keeping Crystal Queen alive as bait for the trap and with the humiliation they'd had in front of the press, people might be reckless. Say the right thing to the wrong stooly and it looks like their detective work paid off.

Whoever was behind the new Eurotrash, they were good. Super smart good...they knew stuff. How else could they jam the UK Champions coms, or know about his and Battle Bugs weaknesses? Time was of the essence to them that way they could act without countermeasures being put in place or counteracted.

But perhaps this was also something they could take advantage of. If they knew they were walking into a trap and called in reinforcements they could spring the trap and seek to turn things around. Not least of all that they couldn't be sure Frostbite and Battle Bug would be with them.

OOC: OK depending on what Shamrock says, I am thinking that we call back his team and mine. That we work out a way for them to follow us above ground so that when we get to, wherever this leads, they need not stay out of the party. I have to say I'd never have sent the other guys away. That we were lead into a small space that limited his team then confused their best tracker that all sent of warning signals to me. But it's Shamrock's call, so I won't press things I am just hoping he hears me out and doesn't think I'm being paranoid. It might be easy to dismiss what I say but given how they were led like lambs last time, I'm not sure that something isn't fishy. We know that Crystal Queen was taken by them, so it's no leap to imagine they're behind this and have proven far more formidable than we'd ever known them to be.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 30 2021, 19:37

Bloodhound moved up. "The boy ... Battle Bug... is right. I checked out all the tunnels and Crystal Queen WAS taken down the one that Battlebug indicated..." said the grim faced hero.

"There is also something else. Can you smell it?" he asked of Battle Bug.

"Well, aside from all the poop and sludge there were three scents which I don't recognise. Kind of... chemically. Is that a word?" he asks.

Bloodhound almost cracks a smile then growls "You are not wrong. Those chemicals you can smell are a powerful cocktail of explosives. I expect if we go down any of these tunnels a proximity sensor or trip beam will trigger the mixing process. two mix then a single drop of the third triggers a massive explosion. They are experimental and top secret, which explains why you might not recognise it."

"Then how did you?" asks Battlebug.

"I make it my business to know what I'm up against." said Bloodhound.

Shamrock looked annoyed but then he sighed. "You are right Frostbite. Battlebug, I'm sorry. We need to get out of here and tell Dawson to get a clean up crew to sort out the tunnels. We can help with that, we have some members who are experts at trap location and dismantling. If we'd have ventured down those tunnels..."

Bombardier came over. "Whoever is behind the Eurotrash uprising for want of a better word is very intelligent and we have underestimated them. This whole tunnel could have been filled with white hot flame!"

Frostbot stated the obvious 'Not a desirable state of affairs for us.'

=========

"Well, now I need a wash. Problem is if we wash in the Thames then we'll need ANOTHER wash because... brown water. Yuck." said Battlebug.

The three UKChampions climbed out and Frostbite flew out, intangible and able to pass through rock without harm.

Once out on the street Bloodhound started sniffing, then paused. "Battlebug. Try again to find Crystal Queen now that you have her scent."

"I don't know man, you're the expert. What if I..." started Battlebug.

"I have faith in your senses. I thought I was the foremost olfactory utiliser in the world but I may have been mistaken." he said.

"Well, whatever you just said I don't know much about, but I'll have a sniff." said Battlebug.

OOC Adren Surge 24 + 4D Accuracy + Roll(6d12)+0: 7,2,1,1,4,10,+0 Total:17 (41) vs
OV8 + Go for Broke 8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 4,10,+0 Total:14 (30) +5 (to 29) vs RV8 - 12 GFB (-4)=33 RAPs.Power Reserve boosted to 41, all added to Analytical Smell 4 (45).

Av45 + Roll(2d12)+0: 1,10,+0 Total:11 (55) vs
OV8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 3,3,+0 Total:6 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 7,9,+0 Total:22 (30) +7 (to 52) vs RV8=45 RAPs.

Battlebug suddenly turned, his masks antennae pinging bolt upright! How had Wandafar manged to do that?

"That way." said Battlebug, staring vacantly.

"But the tunnels indicated the opposite direction. Bloodhound, you try. The boy is clearly mistaken." said Bombardier.

Bloodhound wrapped his cloak about himself, peering from under the hood. "The BOY has a name and it is Battlebug. He also has a far more accute sense of smell than I do. I trust his instincts. If he says Crystal Queen is in that direction, I will accept it."

Bombardier scowled and shrugged. "Lead on."

=========

"I'll call the others in." whispered Shamrock.

They were perched on a the flat roof of a building overlooking an industrial estate. Battlebug and Bloodhound had narrowed it down to a large football pitch sized warehouse in the centre of the estate. Vans and workers were coming and going on the roads around it.

"We need to evacuate this place, get everyone away without alerting the bad guys." said Bombardier.

"Atomica, assemble a strike team then home in on my coordinates." said Shamrock. "Lowest of profiles. We hope to surprise them. Make sure Varangian knows that. Tell him twice. Shamrock out." Shamrock turned to Frostbite, looked at Bombardier then seemed to make a decision. "There is far more to you than I had previously thought. I see now why Atomica places such great faith in your prowess. What would you do in this situation?"

OOC you are about 1/4 mile from the indistrial estate which is sprawling and busy ish. Vans being loaded/unloaded, workers going about their day. In the middle of the estate is the suspected place where Crystal Queen has been taken.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Mar 30 2021, 21:22

Admin wrote:OOC you are about 1/4 mile from the indistrial estate which is sprawling and busy ish. Vans being loaded/unloaded, workers going about their day. In the middle of the estate is the suspected place where Crystal Queen has been taken.

Frostbite nodded grateful for the opportunity to give some advice, this way he need not shatter confidence in Shamrock as a leader with his team. Frostbite wasn't the best tactician, he'd made plenty of mistakes. But it's easy to make someone else look bad when you sat behind them under no pressure to carry the responsibility of it all goes south.

"Well since we are on recon, can your team check on power consumption, anything unusual for a building this size going on. And whilst we're at it, any of your team with super senses, or some kind of enhanced sight might like to give the place the once over, whilst we're debating. Let me see if I can piggy back on things...hold on a sec!"

Frostbite spoke to Frostbot, 'Anything you picking up from around the area?'

Whilst he waited on Frostbot analysis, he spoke to Battle Bug. "Battle Bug, since you seemed to have developed an incredible sense of smell, anything else in the extra sensory range that might be useful here to help give this place the once over?"

Turning back to Shamrock he said quietly, "You're not wrong about the lad's raw potential and for that reason, it's not just training him to use his power but cultivating the man, not just the means. Giving him a reason to fight not just the means to fight and hopefully keeping his natural inclination to do right and going his own way or worst still take the lead with a bunch of cronies like Eurotrash. Love is the key. No not hearts and flowers. Passion, loyalty, being a patriot...yeah I know coming from an American that sounds like apple pie speak. But there is so much cynicism today because people have lost a sense of identity and belonging to something bigger than themselves."

Frostbite then took a good look at the building and outlined a couple of thoughts...

OOC: OK depending now on what information we can gather then you can pick what seems most appropriate:
1. I and another of our stealthiest team members scope the building out, check for any downed coms, unusual activity, high tec equipment disguised as ordinary stuff that sort of thing.

2. But if Shamrock wanted to go in for the quick effect, I'd get the team into two groups the major part at the front, and the smaller contingent to make a lot of noise at the back. Not at the warehouse, but close by so that they activate their protocols and look that way. We rush in the front where they might think to least expect us, assuming that what just went off was coincidental because it was near their building but not the actual building itself. We kill the power, forcing them to go to emergency if they have it and also hampering any without enhanced senses. We go in prepared so we're not caught blind ourselves. Be helpful if we can get a schematic of the place as well, see if there are anything on the plans like a basement or stuff we might need to take into account.

3. Either way I'd say, something like, "You know your people we'll work as to whatever you think best. But I welcome any comments, additions or suggestions. You know how it is, no plan survives long after contact."

Anyway, this is me trying to be as comprehensive (and let's be honest about it, I may role-play a strategist but it's not as if I am or have a clue how it should be Very Happy I'm making this stuff up as I go along.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Apr 03 2021, 23:06

Shamrock nodded. "Aye, good thinking. Sage! What can you tell me about that warehouse. Power drain, exits, layout the lot."

Frostbot replied 'Strange. The power has, or is being restored but many dwellings or locations have not yet been reset after their circuit breakers tripped. Self contained systems I cannot access but those systems that I can access are... occupied. Whenever I sensed another presence in the computer systems I tried to investigate I pulled back as a precaution. I suggest extreme caution.'

Frostbite spoke to Battlebug who shrugged. "I gotta admit boss I don't really know what I'm doing. Bloodhound is ya man but I'm always ya man so..."

OOC Go for broke +16/-24 Adren Surge 24 + 4D Accuracy + Roll(6d12)+0: 6,11,4,9,12,12,+0 Total:24 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0:
12,1,+0 Total:37 (61) vs
OV8 + 16 + Roll(2d12)+0: 4,6,+0 Total:10 (34) Success +7 (to 31) vs RV8 - 24 (-16RV)=47 RAPs. Power Reserve boosted by 47 (to 55) added to Analytical Smell 4 (to 59)

Go for broke +8/-12 AV59 (!) + Roll(2d12)+0: 1,6,+0 Total:7 (66) vs
OV15 + range 9 + gfb 8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 12,7,+0 Total:19 (51) Success +5 (to 64) vs RV15 - GFB 12 (RV3)=61 RAPs. A figure Pre Crisis Superman would gape at!

"I can smell... everything." said Battlebug as if in a trance.

"ugh." he muttered, peeling the bottom half of his mask up to throw up! The UKChampions looked over and pulled a face and Bloodhound called out "You need to filter the bad smells out 'Bug. You'll get used to it son." said the more experienced older hero.

"Thanks for the could have mentioned it first advice!" laughed Battlebug, coughing up more of his stomach.

Straightening up, pulling his mask down and wiping the mouth section Battlebug whispered "Boss! There was too much information to process but... I got Crystal Queen. She's in that warehouse! Also... you! I don't get it. The smell is different, the deoderant but everyone has a unique scent which usually only dogs or supers can identify but... it's you Boss."

Frostbot confirmed the obvious 'Is that is the ECHELON version of 'us' that accounts for the feeling I got when I probed. HIS version of Frostbot was tracking me, waiting for me to inhabit the machine and then possibly to jump into YOU!'

Frostbite blinked. What if... what if that had already happened and the 'Echelon' Frostbot was in his his head with his own Frostbot trapped out of body?

Who could he trust?

"Boss? I asked what we should do. Do we tell the Champions? If there's another you running about they might decide not to trust us any more and we could be ..." Battlebug stopped speaking and glanced about. Frostbite and Battlebug looked across the rooftop and saw Bloodhound staring at them both. What had he heard?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Apr 04 2021, 17:11

Admin wrote:Frostbite blinked. What if... what if that had already happened and the 'Echelon' Frostbot was in his his head with his own Frostbot trapped out of body?

Who could he trust?

"Boss? I asked what we should do. Do we tell the Champions? If there's another you running about they might decide not to trust us any more and we could be ..."  Battlebug stopped speaking and glanced about. Frostbite and Battlebug looked across the rooftop and saw Bloodhound staring at them both. What had he heard?

Although he didn't know how, or even why his counterpart was here, he knew it wasn't good. Older and more experienced sheer luck and maybe surprise seemed to mean he got the drop on him before. Now he had none of those things. Suddenly it felt as if the weight of the world was on his shoulders and he took a step back. He could sense Battle Bug fidgeting behind him, unsure what to do but aware all the same that Frostbite wasn't 'himself' this was bad.

With a deep sigh, he brought his hand to his head meaning to bring it through his light brown hair, an instinctive gesture of resolve. But one that was utterly meaningless since his hair, his whole body was enshrouded in ice. He turned to the UK Champion, and specifically to Shamrock. "We have a problem and you're not going to like it..."

Bidding Shamrock and the others to come around, he explained the situation with Echelon, the counterpoint earth, the situation there and their recent narrow escape from the dreadful world that might yet still be their fate were it the case they fail to stop Advent.

Having explained the alternate world, something Frostbite noted few were surprised off, he then explained what the significance of it all was to their present mission. "This other me, this alternate me, if he is behind Eurotrash getting their act together it would explain a great deal. But he wasn't a sadist, he was surgical. If you'll pardon the pun colder than I, more jaded by his experiences. In other words, it's possible he might not be alone. I can't even begin to know what he wants here, whether to get things to aid the war in their own earth or even to win one they lost there, here. In any case, there is a scenario being played out here and I think it's me and quite possible Battle Bug their after. Clone us, use us for parts, or more..." Frostbite couldn't help but wonder if Lionheart was on their 'wish list' as might well be other heroes they lost or saw corrupted.

Frostbite was quiet as he let the others digest the news. This Frostbite wasn't him, but he was similar, perhaps less powerful in some ways and more in others. He noted that Frostbot was also being very protective of him, not wanting to be jumped and leave his host open to the other getting onboard. Frostbite shuddered, he didn't want to think what that might be like - a whole other Frostbot, but not the friend he'd know something totally other.

OOC: OK let's see what they want to do, and hopefully we'll also get some intel back from Sage before deciding how we handle this or if we sit this one out Mad .

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 07 2021, 01:05

Bombardier looked livid, Shamrock shook his head and scowled, staring, whilst the dark brooding Bloodhound crossed his arms.

"So... this! All this... this... mess... is because of you?" spluttered Bombardier. He snarled, stepping forward with fists clenched and Shamrock moved quickly to his side as they approached Frostbite...

... and then Battlebug was in front of Frostbite. "Hold on... STOP!" shouted the youngster. "We're the good guys! Besides that... if you attack my boss you better save some for me as well..."

Bloodhound growled "Battlebug is right. We need to..."

"you need to what?" called out a voice.

Everyone turned.

About fifty feet away floating about the same height up off a roof, dressed in white from head to toe with a chromed mirror faceplate was an athletic form with arms crossed. The Faceplate hissed open...

Frostbite saw the man who looked so much like his friend Richard King, Lionheart. However with a trident beard, close shaved head and deep tan he was almost unrecognisable. He was ... Saladin.

"Frostbite!" he called out. "In an effort to be ... 'sporting' I shall offer you a choice. Surrender yourself and the boy, and we shall return to MY world! I give you... ten minutes to think about it!" he laughs. "Remember that the captives are at risk. Oh... and another thing. One is in the warehouse. Another is elsewhere in London. If you rescue one... explosives under the other go off!" he laughs. "A touch... machiavellian. Your equivalent didn't want to 'mess around' but I'm having so much fun..."

"Fun? FUN?" roared Bombardier. "I'll give you fun!"

He sprinted along the roof and leapt... only to be struck by an energy 'wolf' which mauled him, causing Bombardier to scream out loud and start tumbling towards the floor six storeys down and unconscious!

"Foolish." snarled Saladin. "The clock is ticking Frostbite!" he shouted...

"Boss?" asked Battlebug, seeking guidance and unsure whether to tackle the man who had recently defeated him so easily!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Apr 07 2021, 15:53

Admin wrote:"Foolish." snarled Saladin. "The clock is ticking Frostbite!" he shouted...

"Boss?" asked Battlebug, seeking guidance and unsure whether to tackle the man who had recently defeated him so easily!

"Sporting! You?" Frostbite almost spat the words out. With a hand lightly resting on Battle Bugs arm and a quick knowing look he turned back to Saladin. "First, how do we know you are being genuinely sporting and don't have some malevolent mischief if we surrender to you? We need some sort of guarantee that the people you kidnapped are safe. We also want, as a gesture of good faith, the details of whom you used in Eurotrash so that my friends here can apprehend them and bring them into justice. Then and only then can we talk in terms of what we will and won't do."

Frostbite thought he might as well get what they can since he intended to offer himself up. He saw no point in letting them get away with this easy. Besides, since they'd shown their hand and wanted him and Battle Bug with the intention of returning to their home Earth, what did they care for this one? His desperate plan to confront the alternative earth's version of his own inventive team mate, Wandafar, looked like it may yet see the light of day.

But he'd be damned before he saw Battle Bug come with him to that poor broken world they called home. Somehow he had to look for a way to go and leave Battle Bug behind. Since it was through Thoth they got here in the first place, he had to wonder if that is how they'd get back unless they had an alternative caster who could open a gate. One step at a time, he shared his thoughts with Frostbot, he had to think of ways that they might yet look for an angle to work this in their favour.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Apr 11 2021, 18:13

Bloodhound leapt off the rooftop and landed six storeys down, checking to make sure Bombardier was unconscious and not dead!

Frostbite peered from the roof edge to see Bloodhound nod to confirm Bombardier wasn't seriously injured.

"Guarantees?" laughed Saladin. "You want guarantees? I told your counterpart that I would drag you and the boy back without problem but he insisted we do it this way. HE gives his word. HE says go with us peacefully and we will leave. Yes, leave Eurotrash to revert to being a disorganised rabble. You can do whatever you want with them then." He sighs theatrically, hands on hips. "You want to lunge at me don't you boy? You ARE powerful... but I'm faster and I can put you down faster than you can blink!"

"Why are we talking to this idiot?" barked Shamrock. "We can take him!" he said, pulling shuriken in the shape of four leaf clovers from his belt!

"Good luck with that." said Battlebug. "This guy can take on most of your team. On his own. I tried, and I'm faster and stronger than most. I wasn't fast enough!"

Shamrock glowered at Saladin then carefully put his shuriken back.

"As I said Frostbite. I provide nothing. Your counterpart has offered a way for you to resolve this peacefully. Some... misguided sense of honour. Even now I can hear King inside my head, screaming at me and pounding against the mental chains that hold him prisoner inside our mind. Futile. Hmmm I wonder. This world is a mirror of my own, reversed. Might there be a Saladin here?" pondered the super assassin.

Battlebug turned. Frostbite could see the youngster was itching to tackle the bad guy but he wasn't stupid. If he could beat Saladin to the punch then he could take him out... but he couldn't. His danger sense, his astonishing cosmic level speed, his strength, mental powers, heck ALL of his powers... His friend Lionheart would be a match for himbut he was over in America doing who knew what.

"Ten minutes Frostbite." warned Saladin. "After that? Then... then we do things MY way...!" he roared...

OOC Saladin is going to leave (flying straight up into the sky) unless attacked. Remember (frostbite knows this) he has his danger sense to warn of attacks. By the way this isn't a kobyashi maru but you know exactly what you are up against...

Shamrock hissed "Ten minutes? Atomica and Varangian will be here. I'll see who else we can rustle up. You up for a fight Frostbite?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Apr 11 2021, 20:54

Admin wrote:Shamrock hissed "Ten minutes? Atomica and Varangian will be here. I'll see who else we can rustle up. You up for a fight Frostbite?"

"WAIT!"

Frostbite shouted so as to interrupt Saladin, know full well he was using drama to heighten the tension. He was enjoying this, his own sadistic need to show others their weakness and his own power only made it seem in his mind that he was right. Turning to the others Frostbite then said, "You heard Battle Bug, even if you could take down Saladin, the others, he has hostage? I'm not worth risking their lives for. Besides without my counterpart and Saladin, Eurotrash will be easy for you to capture and restore order here. We will have to take our chances where we can find them."

Moving closely to Shamrock Frostbite with something of a sigh said, "One of my people Ione, get a message back to her and say, 'I'm sorry! Maybe next time!'" Frostbite noted the look of perplexity at the cryptic message, so added, "She'll understand!"

Then turning back to Saladin, Frostbite said, "Me and Battle Bug will voluntarily come, sorry...to spoil your skull bashing fun, we won't resist - that you know from my counterpart!"

Frostbite motioned for Battle Bug to come closer he wanted to say, 'stay sharp' this was the more dangerous part, whilst they were willing to come along, Saladin was no fool and he was more than able to stop them from trying any funny business. But then again his own arrogance and pride might also blind him to the obvious if it seemed beneath him in some way. Frostbite would have to wait this one out - for now. But he wasn't without options.

'Frostbot - we need to merge I need your sophisticated level of speed and processing. And for you, you need me as more than just a means to carry you around. If we are going to get through this we are going to need to work together to outsmart two of the smartest most lethal people we know, ourselves and Mr Cold as death chuckles here. We are looking at a minimum for a way to get Battle Bug away so he isn't transported with me. But if we can find a way for me to not go also, but lose these two - I won't be sorry.'

Frostbite didn't normally speak in this way to his companion, but it felt like the closest they'd had as a heart to heart in a long time. A necessary step along a path of desperation to free Billy and even find some way to get free himself. If he could, he'd like to avoid that dust bowl Echelon called England, but even if that failed he'd be looking for a way to break the chain at the point of the weakest link.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Apr 13 2021, 20:55

Frostbot spoke inside Frostbites' head 'Processing.' he said.

OOC Power Reserve 10 into Intelligence...

int 19 + Roll(2d12)+0: 10,12,+0 Total:22 (41) vs
OV12 + Roll(2d12)+0: 1,9,+0 Total:10 (22)
+6 (to 14 Will) vs RV12=2 RAPs

1) The Echelon counterparts require both Frostbite and Battlebug alive. The easiest way for them to achieve this is to prey upon the 'weaknesses' of the Vanguard. Those are that the heroes have a conscience and they will not willingly allow anyone else to suffer and the 'easy' option is the one they are taking. It ensures that the heroes surrender and go peacefully or the hostages - the two captured UKChampions - die.
2-3) The Echelon counterparts have no qualms about killing as they see this dimension as 'not real'. In fact they may see it as a rich source of resources if they succeed in getting back to their home dimension. And that is the rub. They clearly managed to somehow get through the portal that Thoth, Sorceress and Dr Mystical created. In order to get back to their one, true, home dimension, they would therefore need...

Frostbite knew that his computer counterpart enhanced and improved his mind in ways not easily explainable.

Frostbot added 'The most logical way for you to defeat Saladin would be to enlist the aid of Lionheart and attack in concert. With you, Battlebug AND Lionheart attacking Saladin you can use the fact that he has been ordered to bring us back alive. Unfortunately he will know of both ouor and Battlebugs' regenerative capabilities. That means he will have no qualms about injuring us short of death. When I scanned before and detected 'another presence' that was most likely my Echelon Counterpart of Frostbot. However the digitial signature was ... off. Weaker. It may be a great risk but if you can physically place me inside Echelon Frostbites head I may be able to overcome their interface and inhibit Frostbite... or perhaps more. In order to do that I would need to be transferred into his body. If I fail, I may never return.'

"I can take him Boss." snarled Battlebug under his breath.

Saladin, with his super hearing, heard and laughed "Did you not learn from the first time boy? I am faster than you. I will ALWAYS be faster. I know when you are planning anything. When you move... I will already have rendered you unconscious! I will break your bones to ensure your compliance. Furthermore I shall break Frostbites bones because... because it pleases me to do so."

"Who... who IS this monster?" muttered Shamrock. "We need to get Adjutant back in the..."

"What? Adjutant? You have an Adjutant in this dimension? AHHAHAH! This is TOO rich! I give you your time to consider. I need to confer..." hissed Saladin.

With that he simply vanished, moving too fast to see!

Frostbite watched him go knowing he'd be back in minutes. Shamrock stepped in front of him. "Who IS that guy? What does he want with Adjutant? And you and the boy? What is this all about?"

Frostbot spoke inside Frostbites' head 'Indeed. What IS this about? Why does Echelon place such value on us and risks two of their top agents to be lost in space and time to retrieve us and apparently they want Adjutant as well.'

Frostbite considered. What were Frostbite and Battle Bug? They were powerful in their own way. The Echelon counterparts and their allies were just as if not more powerful though of course their Battlebug had died. What was all of this for? What was their end game? Was it simply to win a war against Advent or was there something else going on? He only had a few minutes to act before Saladin returned to take BB and him with them. Then they would probably round up Thoth and the two mages to recreate the gate... and after that? He'd be lost in a different universe...

FOREVER!

OOC dramatic shout at the end.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Apr 14 2021, 12:48

Admin wrote:FOREVER!

OOC dramatic shout at the end.

OOC: Can I place a call through to Wandafar and let him know what is happening. It's not like he can do much, but I feel if he knows what is going on then at least we've got someone trying things from this side. I remember before them talking about cloning Battle Bug or trying to replicate how his power works. I can imagine any number of scenarios in which they might not only take on Advent but then start to think about going either galactic or pandimensional.

Frostbite could imagine all sorts of possibilities for the way that Echelon could make use of them and indeed as has been proven coerce them into action simply by abandoning any pretence of civility, honour or justice. His mind ran with several possibilities, Saladin would struggle, surely to get Thoth and the mages to comply with his wishes. But the even worse possibility was that what if he not only opened the portal but took them with him so they could return when they wished. Linking them into the hive mind would ensure their complicit obedience even if they didn't wish it to be so.

Somehow this whole mad plan had to stop here, but how? Simply removing themselves from the equation didn't solve the problem, since they could still threaten others, and there was the possibility that they'd weaken the united front they had against Advent who would surely take advantage of any opportunity that such a scenario afforded them.

Frostbite turned to Shamrock answering his question as succinctly as he could. Before then adding, "Saladin is ruthless my counterpart no so much, but he remains loyal to his own side. I can't see a way to win, yet. Saladin could not be easily overcome because of his speed and heightened senses. It's not like we can take him on anyway, that would leave you all weaker at a time when the nation needs you. For now, we will have to go along with their plan until I can foresee some way to turn the tables. If only we could push them through the portal they'll want Thoth to open and leave them on their side."

There was simply not enough information, tactically too many unknowns to know what to do with any certainty and he was as well known to his counterpart as could be. If he did try something it would have to be totally out of character or unthinkable to his doppelganger so that it caught him out. And for that, for now, it was a question of seeing if such an opportunity might present itself. If the worst came to the worst and they were taken to the dust bowl they called home, then the only way through this problem must be through it.

OOC: OK I must be running low as I've got no ideas other than those outlined.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Apr 16 2021, 11:59

Frostbot patched through to Wandafar piggybacking on the signals of mobile phone masts, at least those that weren't overloaded.

"Yes? Vot is it? Do you know vot time it is? Corrie time demmit!" spluttered the voice down the other end of the phone. "On ze other hend, I'm not seeing much from ze news feeds of London. Are you und ze boy alright?"

Frostbite explained.

"Hmmm. Alternate evil version of yourself? How cliche. Still, given ze existence of ze multiverse und divergent time lines, it is not unexpected. More worrying is zet I em ze bed guy there. I vunder, maybe ze leck of soap operas sent my alternate self bonkers?"

Frostbite tried not to roll his eyes as his friend rambled.

"I must contact Justin und Thoth, let zem know vot is going on. Also Lionheart should know. Unfortunately communications viz ze USA are down. Zere hez been a massive prison break und zey are struggling to contain things. ve may be on our own. Ze UKChampions leadership should know about zis too but for now I shell talk to Justin und Thoth. It hez been a vile und Thoth was alvays a veerdo but it vill be good to talk to my old friend again. Stend by."

Stand by? Saladin had said he would be only a few minutes? What if...?

Battlebug tapped Frostbite on the shoulder. "Not now BB I'm on hold to..." More tapping. He turned.

Professor Thoth was stood at the far side of the roof, looking about. Frostbite could see through him, as if he were a ghostly image. He turned, seeing Frostbite, Battlebug and Shamrock. In the blink of an eye he was in front of them. Shamrock scowled but said nothing. Thoth nodded to him curtly and turned to Frostbite and BB. "My friends. I had hoped that business in the alternate Echelon Earth was done but it seems we have underestimated our foes. They must have passed through the Multiverse gate to come into our Earth. To recreate the gate I would need Sorceress and Dr Mystical in order to make the exact same set of circumstances and incantations to find the right Earth again. Even then, the nature of time and space is not absolute. Magic is not an exact science. Time may have passed - forwards or backwards - and to get it right you need to... hmmm. An analogy. How about stand on the wing of a plane whilst its flying miles about the ground and release a thread from your hand in the hope of it self threading through the eye of a needle."

"That's impossible!" said Shamrock.

"I thought you were 'the luckiest man alive'?" asked Thoth.

Shamrock scowled. "Even my power has its limits."

"He has a point." said Battlebug.

Thoth turned to Battlebug and pondered. "Young man, I have seen superhumans in all shapes and sizes. I served with the Executive, The UKChampions and other groups you've never heard of. The UKChampions were a set of badly run idiots save for the odd exception."

Shamrock scowled, looking away.

Thoth continued "But in all that time I never met anyone who did not have the power and the potential that YOU possess. Under the guidance and leadership, yes and friendship of THIS man..." he said, with a head nod towards Frostbite "You have the potential to be the most powerful, heroic and inspiring hero this country has ever seen. After Frostbite has retired of course. Do not so easily discount the impossible when you are clearly capable of pushing the boundaries of what we thought was possible even by superhumans."

Neither Vanguardian was quite sure what to make of that. Shamrock broke the uncomfortable hero worshipping silence. "Yes, yes, the boy is a good fighter. He can be beaten though. We have extensive fil..."

Thoth raised an eyebrow. "In case he ever went rogue? I don't doubt it. All of this is moot though. When my bleeper - that I'd forgotten I even had - went off with a 327 Code I knew what we were dealing with. The grid reference and my arrival to see you two here plus a simple spell or two has revealed the situation. One inadvertantly of my making and I shall have to rectify it."

There was a rush of air and Saladin appeared over the roof.

"Time's up, pitiful excuse for super... Thoth? Arch Master Thoth? I thought you were killed when the... ah. You are THIS world's Thoth. I see now. I'll drag you along too..." he said, before he frowned.

"You aren't here are you? Mages tricks. No matter. I can find you and..."

Thoth held up a hand.

"What? you interrupt me? I shall make you rue..."

"Why do you need Frostbite and Battlebug? Why me? You have powerful counterparts and have been fighting a war for years. in many ways you are more powerful than your counterparts here..." asked Thoth.

"I don't explain myself to..."

"SALADIN!" said another voice. All eyes turned. Frostbite - the Echelon version in white with the blue dome on his chest - floated in the air not far away. "Quiet your yapping for a change."

"YOU DARE?" roared Saladin, he clenched his fists and looked ready to attack!

Frostbite ignored him and spoke on "Frostbite and the boy are needed to help save not only our world, but the multiverse!"

There was yet ANOTHER woosh of air!

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #12 "Something bad this way comes." - Page 2 Adjutant-injured

It had been a LONG time since Frostbite had seen the 'most powerful Superhero in Britain'. From the looks of it, he'd been in the wars.

"Adjutant!" said Shamrock. "I was told you are near death! That you would never recover from your injuries to ever be..."

Adjutant floated down to the rooftop and strode across to the heroes, though Frostbite noted the pain and awkward way he was carrying himself. "The scientists don't know why my body isn't fixing itself. But I do. This isn't my universe. I went on a deep space mission to help a dying civilisation and it was a trap. I barely escaped and got back to Earth, but this ISN'T my Earth." He looked up at Saladin and Echelon Frostbite. "Nor is it yours. One thing binds us though. If we don't work together then ALL Earths, EVERYWHERE, will cease to exist!"

Battlebug glanced from the villains to Adjutant then to Frostbite "Is this a good time to ask for some time off to go on holiday boss?"

OOC more later...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Apr 16 2021, 12:20

OOC in case you forget who this guy is...

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #12 "Something bad this way comes." - Page 2 Adj-1
The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #12 "Something bad this way comes." - Page 2 Adj-2
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Apr 16 2021, 22:08

Admin wrote:OOC in case you forget who this guy is...

OOC: That is very helpful its a while since I read those files, but this is all also so unexpected.  What a twist.  

For once Frostbite was speechless, turning slowly from one to another.  The thought of going on holiday right now seemed somehow strangely pleasurable.  But as his brain processed the information, he had to laugh at the irony of having his counterpart's work with him and the other UKChampions somehow a larger threat had done what Advent couldn't have.

OOC: OK over to you.  

Sj[/i]
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 21 2021, 11:33

Frostbite considered what had been said. He was a time hoppping adventurer in his own way despite calling this place and time his home.

Since that momentous day when he had discovered his mysterious superhuman abilities and found the blue dome on his chest his life hadn't really been his own.

His musings stopped when the all white clad duo floated over to within, if not hand to hand striking range, then at least easy blasting range! And yet... no one was attacking.

Saladin and Adjutant seemed to size each other up. Even the arrogance of Saladin could see a 'bigger dog' in the room but in his current state Adjutant didn't seem to be up to much of anything.

"We can take him down boss..." whispered Battlebug to Frostbite. Before he could answer Saladin hissed "I can hear you boy. And take you down before you can move."

"But the time for fighting is over." said Echelon Frostbite. "This is NOT our home. I've listened to you Saladin, now listen to me. This... disruption, turmoil, chaos was to be used as a cover to capture Battlebug and Frostbite, along with the three mages who can open the space and time gate to get us back. We may have succeeded but this benefits us little if Adjutant is right. We'd be creating as many problems as we solve."

"What do you mean?" snarled Saladin.

"I mean if Adjutant is correct, then our world will be ... contaminated... by someone who is not supposed to be there. We have enough problems. Advent in OUR world sought to erase the 'superhuman menace', first by changing hearts and minds and when that failed they used bombs. Lots of genetic alteration bombs to depower the majority of superhumans. That failed when Wandafar - OUR Wandafar - hacked the bombs to exclude certain elements. As a result our world is in chaos. The survivors of the blasts and those that live nearby were mutated. Some horribly, others had superhuman abilities. Some, those you recognise as heroes on this world, formed a resistance. We were left to fight on two fronts, against Advent and against our own people. Advent are winning."

"Why do you want us?" asked Battlebug, who still scowled at Saladin.

"I think Wandafar is... changed. Altered or... corrupted in some way." he said, glancing at his own pale blue chest and the brighter dome on Frostbites. "To save his life I allowed him to merge with Frostbot."

"What is...?" asked Shamrock.

"Ask him." said Echelon Frostbite with a nod to Frostbite. "But not now. Time and space have a strange way of acting. We could have been gone minutes, days, weeks or even years from ouor home. Only magic knows for sure and there is an element of chaos at work here too. I think that to ... correct the anomaly inside OUR Wandafar we need Frostbite from your world to help us. As for you, youngster... You were to be cloned. To give us an army of superhumans to turn the tide against Echelon..."

"An army... of him?" laughed Saladin.

Echelon Frostbite spun on Saladin. "If you continue to let your ego rule you, you will NEVER change from the arrogant, soulless assassin that you are!"

Saladin bristled, about to attack, then glanced at Battlebug, Frostbite, Adjutant and Shamrock... as well as Varangian and Atomic who turned up, with a distant dot in the sky showing a UKChampions jet on the way!

He grinned, shrugged. "I could take some of you. Most of you. And yes... the boy has power, REAL power. So let us say I agree with you. Where do we go from here?"

Adjutant coughed and held a hand up. "There is another problem. There is a group of other beings, powerful enough to make you and I seem like street level punks" he said to Saladin. "They intend to come here and 'fix' things. Their power is such that it will take ALL of us to resist them - or no one will survive!"

Battlebug leaned into Frostbite and muttered "Did you ever get the idea sometimes that there was stuff going on that is like, way higher than our pay grade boss?"

Echelon Frostbite turned to his counterpart. "Come with us, of your own free will and we will leave this place."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Apr 21 2021, 12:52

Admin wrote:Battlebug leaned into Frostbite and muttered "Did you ever get the idea sometimes that there was stuff going on that is like, way higher than our pay grade boss?"

Echelon Frostbite turned to his counterpart. "Come with us, of your own free will and we will leave this place."

Frostbite turned momentarily to Billy, Battle Bug was getting the experience and exposure that in many respects was above everyone's pay grade. It was like being in a pressure cooker, evolve or die!

Turning back to the others Frostbite said what he knew he had to do, but he didn't want to say. In some ways, he felt a sense of tremendous sadness for the Echelon Wandafar and their home. He had initially wanted to give himself up in order to do the very thing that he was no being invited to do freely. But in stepping outside his own time, to that other earth, he would be taking responsibility for another world, another Wandafar but relinquishing his own!

"For better or worse we are what we are, we are where we are. I cannot come, as much as it pains me to say this. I would rather your Wandafar be like his old self and I would genuinely appreciate the chance to help him find his way back from the dark path his grief has led him on. But in so doing, I'd be abandoning my post and my responsibilities here. You know me, us! You know I can't do that. I can't go now and chances are I can't make a promise about later, because if your world is anything like mine well later always seems to remain later." Frostbite wanted to say something more, but what his counterpart lacked in giving up a part of himself meant that they in themselves did not have what Wandafar might need to get back. He knew he was making the right decision, but some days doing the right thing still felt wrong at some level.

OOC: I so wish I had the chance to help Echelon Wandafar out, but with the big bad coming, Advent breathing down our neck and all that...I just can't. Though it pains me to say it. Being a hero is great until you find you can't save everyone.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Apr 22 2021, 21:07

Echelon Frostbite bristled. "Very well."

"What?" spluttered Saladin. "Why don't we just take them? I'm fast enough to..."

Echelon Frostbite waved his companion silent. "This is NOT our world. There is only one way we can get home. That is to force, or ask for, the aid of the three people who opened the interdimensional gate. Otherwise... we're stuck here."

"It's not so bad." grinned Saladin. "No red dust, Advent haven't got the upper hand, these people are weak! Even their Adjutant is a shadow of himself! My danger sense barely registers him! Why, we could take control of this place and ship our own people across!"

"You aren't listening to me!" said Adjutant. "Great powers are coming to Earth to ... 'fix' the situation that Advent have made worse with their time meddling. All displaced people who don't belong here add to the problem!"

Frostbot spoke inside Frostbite's mind... 'YOU are displaced Joseph. This universe is NOT your own. However, you have made it your own, and there may be a way to ensure you can stay here. It does sound like some 'higher power' has determined that Earth is no longer to have free reign of its own destiny!'

Echelon Frostbite nodded. "Then I will not add to your problem by remaining here. If you can arrange for my return I and my companion will..."

"No!" said Saladin, swooping up and a further distance away. "If you want to try your luck... ALL of you... you will see why I am Echelon's foremost assassin!"

Frostbite knew how powerful his friend, Lionheart was. This man was possibly slightly more powerful, having been a soldier in a war and by his own admission, an assassin.

"Say the word!" said Varangian, hefting his axe. "He can't take us all!"

Atomica flew up and burst into flames, far enough away from Frostbite that she wouldn't affect him...

Adjutant flew up himself, glowing and sheathed in a sort of flickering energy field. He looked pained.

Shamrock pulled out a handfull of small four leaf clover shaped shuriken, crouched in a fighting stance and ready to attack though in truth he knew he was way out of his league...

Battlebug turned to whisper "Boss, we gonna throw down with this guy or let him go...?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Apr 23 2021, 21:33

Admin wrote:Battlebug turned to whisper "Boss, we gonna throw down with this guy or let him go...?"

Frostbite slowly raised his arms and said, "I'm..." But he didn't finish but fired instead, knowing that Saladin wouldn't wait and neither should he.

OOC: Devastating attack, going into fluid form and see if we can't tag this slimy serpent. And if that wasn't obvious that is the command for BB to do his thing. I wanted Frostbite to be his main target so BB doesn't get hit before he can Adrenal surge. ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 28 2021, 09:03

OOC Danger Sense 9 + Roll(2d12)+0: 12,7,+0 Total:19 (28) vs
OV4 + Roll(2d12)+0: 2,8,+0 Total:10 (14) +5 (to 14EV) vs RV4=10 RAPs. Success.

Saladin Detects the danger AND knows who/where it is coming from!

Saladin wins initiative (for example Frostbite is one of the most powerful/fastest heroes out there with a score of 32. Add to that a roll of 1D12 to get a range of 33-44. Saladin starts with a score of 62 before any roll...)

"So be it." snarls Saladin as he looks directly at Frostbite. "Make your own way." he shouts at Echelon Frostbite. "As will I..."

The UKChampions are about to burst into life... but Saladin instead flies up, up and away! In fact his speed is so fast that he leaves a sonic boom in his wake that shatters windows and causes ordinary people to cry ouot and cover their ears for a mile or so around!

Frostbite looks at his Echelon Counterpart. Frostbite stares back "I want only to go home. It doesn't have to come down to a fight."

Atomica blasts into the sky and takes off after Saladin, Varangian spins his axe around and flings it, hanging onto the thong and springing into the air...

Shamrock snarls "We can't let someone like that go!"

Battlebug glances from Echelon Frostbite to his own version. "Boss. I tried to hold back but... what's the call? I can go after Saladin..."

Frostbot speaks up 'Being a mirror version of Lionheart, and possibly one more focused on violence as a soldier, it is entirely probable that Saladin's superior speed will prevail against Battlebug. I have run projections and in all predictions Battlebug is killed in a one on one fight with the Echelon Assassin.'

They also had the problem of Echelon Frostbite. He had proven himself as Frostbite's equal, maybe more so given his permenant nature as a soldier... A glance in the sky reveals the UKChampions' vehicle changing course and setting a course after Saladin...

OOC Saladin wins initiative and takes off like a rocket straight up into the sky! He's heading into space and will be there in one round... Meanwhile Echelon Frostbite is prepared to leave peacefully but more than capable of mixing it up... and you still have the goons of Eurotrash running about... and two UKChampions held hostage. One in the warehouse, the other...?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Apr 28 2021, 13:30

Admin wrote:They also had the problem of Echelon Frostbite. He had proven himself as Frostbite's equal, maybe more so given his permenant nature as a soldier... A glance in the sky reveals the UKChampions' vehicle changing course and setting a course after Saladin...

OOC Saladin wins initiative and takes off like a rocket straight up into the sky! He's heading into space and will be there in one round... Meanwhile Echelon Frostbite is prepared to leave peacefully but more than capable of mixing it up... and you still have the goons of Eurotrash running about... and two UKChampions held hostage. One in the warehouse, the other...?

Frostbite looked up at the fleeting figure, knowing full well he would outpace everyone. But at some point, he would have to leave, forcefully if not otherwise, as his being here was part of the very problem these new powers, were coming to sort out. Of course, that might well mean him being ejected as well...that was a might uncomfortable, but he wasn't alone, Lionheart was from the future, and who knows who else was here there and everywhere, displaced from where they got their start in life.

Turning to his double he said, "We will need to catch him and return you both home. But for now, we are without the means to do that, how about you help us release your prisoners, and in exchange for your return home we won't do or ask any more of you than you wish to give. Provided you give us no more trouble?"

It seemed a reasonable request, you scratch my back and I'll get you home...

But Frostbite was aware that Saladin was not going to go quietly. He had had a taste of something better than the squaller they barely kept at bay in what he once thought of as home and he was doing the equivalent of barricading himself in.

OOC: OK better see about rescuing the others, and finding out what we need to do about this invading army. Chatting to Thoth about getting Frostbite 2 home and seeing what we can do to capture Saladin before the powers that be, decided to read us our rights and put us in order.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next