The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #12 "Something bad this way comes."

3 posters

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #12 "Something bad this way comes." - Page 9 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #12 "Something bad this way comes."

Post  Admin Thu Dec 23 2021, 11:14

"This place is cool!" said Battlebug, looking about. "It's like... it's from olden times! Like, the 1980s!"

OOC more like the 1880s. Or even earlier.

"What do we know?" asked Battlebug, crouching in the cover of a tree. "Justin St John, the guy who bankrolls the Vanguard, works for the government as an expert and go between for metahuman affairs. He also used to be some bad ass super guy but retired a while back? That right? But... he can still do certain stuff, so he teleports here when the UKChampions - and that idiot Bombardier - decide that he should be thrown in jail for being buddies with Nowhere Man. I've heard of Nowhere Man. The news says he's wanted for murder, theft, arson... treason. Not sure what to believe especially as... as... he's your friend too?"

The youngster was very smart, trying to piece together what he knew, what he'd heard and how it might apply.

"I can't believe that this guy is so bad, or anywhere near as bad as they say. If he wasn't you wouldn't... I mean, you'd kick his ass right? So the way I figure is, the Government and the UKChampions want to make an example of him, find out what he knows, end him. You and Justin don't think he's that bad, am I right? That means he's cool in my book too."

"Just making sure we're on the same page boss."

"We can go to the ruins as that's not obvious for Justin to hide in. Those stones? I don't know... maybe. Check those first but we need to lay low, right? I mean, SMITE will be on their way but it will take time. The UKC though... they are like us. They can teleport, fly, step through Warp gates... They are probably already here I'm guessing."

He shook his head. "This is all messed up! We're good guys! They are good guys! Justin is a good guy! Heck, Nowhere Man is probably a good guy who does messed up stuff to make sure the bad guys don't kill us all!"

Frostbite took in what the youngster said and offered him the choice - ruins or Stones.

"Stones I guess, then the ruins, but we lie low, so we don't trash the village in some kind of misguided super good guy fight?" asked Battlebug.

Frostbite waved a hand to 'lead the way'...

=========

The stones were obelisks in a circle and quite ancient.

"Creepy." said Battlebug. He ran a hand over the surface of one. "There are indentations. Deliberate. Runes. Maybe this place really is... magic."

He shivered and looked around. Then he frowned.

Crouching, he sniffed about.

OOC Adren Surge 24 + Roll(6d12)+0: 8,6,4,8,5,7,+0 Total:16 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0:
9,10,+0 Total:35 (59) vs
OV8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 2,3,+0 Total:5 (13) Success +10 (to 34) vs RV8=26 RAPs.

Power Reserve 8 boosted to 34. All applied to Analytical Smell (now 38 APs)

Av38 + Roll(2d12)+0: 9,7,+0 Total:16 (54) vs
Ov15 + time 7 + Roll(2d12)+0: 7,5,+0 Total:12 (34) Success +6 (to 44) vs Rv22=22 RAPs. Erm, that's a success.

"Huh." said Battlebug. "Six hundred and eleven separate scents in the last month or so. In the last week, twenty seven. The last ten minutes? One. I can't tell if it's St John but the scent STARTS there." he pointed to the middle of the Rune circle.

"Then it goes..." he turns, looking about, snifffing. "Ah! There!"

The pair of Vanguardians looked up... and up. To the ruins!

"Et voila!" whispered Battlebug.

They were about to move to the ruins when Battlebug moved past Frostbite to look up...

A glowing figure hovered over the mansion, several hundred yards away, looking about!

Frostbite grabbed the youngster and they moved behind the cover of the standing stones... The UKChampions were here, and looking for Justin St John... AND the Vanguard!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #12 "Something bad this way comes." - Page 9 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #12 "Something bad this way comes."

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Dec 26 2021, 08:28

Admin wrote:A glowing figure hovered over the mansion, several hundred yards away, looking about!

Frostbite grabbed the youngster and they moved behind the cover of the standing stones... The UKChampions were here, and looking for Justin St John... AND the Vanguard!

Justin was no fool, he had to know that the UK Champions would be here if he did a runner, so his being here is of necessity. That it was something he had to do no matter the risk. So it must be something tied to this place. But how to find Him, what to find here? The standing stones though impressive were bowed down by age, by the movement of the land and of the elements. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary including no scent of Justin here, which suggested this hadn't been where he'd come recently, not within the hours since he was outed. So that left the mansion or the ruins. Trouble was how to get to them without drawing attention?

OOC: OK surmising that nothing much is to be found here, I guess we are bound to find a stealthy way into the ruins. I guess I could dissipate and go through the earth, but that would leave BB and he has an ability to draw trouble like a magnet, Iron fillings. So, assuming I've all at a bust here and there is no other way, I will look for a stealthy option, I really do not want to take on the UKC in order to stop their misguided pride in trying to repair their reputation, in order to get the job done. But if Justin has called me here and we are going to rescue Steph...

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Dec 31 2021, 17:17

Frostbite formed ice over his chest. It dulled the glow from the dome on his upper torso to a low glimmer.

He turned to Battlebug and placed a finger to his lips then pointed to the ruins. The youngster nodded. Impetuous and given to acting without thinking he was still - by any measure - incredibly intelligent.

He could follow orders - most of the time. When those teenage impulses kicked in though...

Floating up and through the ruins he turned to see Battlebug close on his heels. With astonishing agility and acrobatics prowess he wasn't slowed, hopping over, ducking under or moving around to keep up with his leader.

He slowed when he saw Frostbite pause and take cover behind a wall. Frostbite frowned to himself. Testing, he phased and pushed a finger at a wall. There was resistance there, as if... as if some force were pushing back at him. He might be able to phase through the walls but it seemed this place up up a kind of... natural resistance to it! Agh! Magic! He would have to bear that in mind. He shook his head and looked ...

Beyond, there was a courtyard and four costumed figures stood in it.

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #12 "Something bad this way comes." - Page 9 UKC-in-ruins

Frostbite didn't recognise any of them but that wasn't surprising. The UKChampions had three - or more - distinct divisions covering the protection of the British Isles and could draw on any of their teams to form up for specific missions.

He was, however, smart and resourceful. Accessing his mobile phone for internet access he had Frostbot trawl through the official press announcements for the UKChampions to run what he could see against them. That brought up results almost instantly thanks to one of the world's most advanced processors, the details of which he knew nothing about!

[There are matches on these four] stated Frostbot.

OOC From left to right...

Fletchette - able to generate energy weapons and throw with astonishing accuracy!
Automaton - a super powerful Android with the power of flight and energy blasts!
Totem - said to be the descendant of an Incan Priest who travelled through time with magical artifacts and granted them to his children who gave them to their children. This one chose to be a hero.
Shieldmaiden - with super strength, a sword that can cut through anything (supposedly) and a shield that can stop any blow, the 'maiden of might' is a force to be reckoned with!

Battlebug crouched as Frostbite did, then pointed, past the heroes of the UKC in the courtyard. There was something almost hidden from view. An archway with runes around it and filled in with an arch stone doorway.

Frostbite narrowed his eyes. That looked like a way into the main keep! Why hadn't the UKChampions seen it and checked it out?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jan 02 2022, 21:53

Admin wrote:Frostbite narrowed his eyes. That looked like away into the main keep! Why hadn't the UKChampions seen it and checked it out?

OOC: Having finished his discussion mind to mind with Lionheart moments after this I will rp it in now.

With Lionheart gone, his mind suddenly felt somewhat empty. He felt for his friend and hoped that Wandafar could help where he couldn't. He missed his friend and oldest companion now as part of the team. But since feeling it was time to spread his wings, something Frostbite couldn't blame him for, it sure felt like they could do with his help. But by the sound of it, help was also what he needed there. When given the chance, Frostbite would love to head back to his home country and see what Lionheart was up to. But that depended on successfully finishing what they were already engaged in.

"What we need is a diversion, to get to that gate..." Frostbite mulled unsure as to why he could see what the others couldn't. But he assumed that his time in magical countries might well be rubbing off on him. That or he had an advantage as a friend of the Law Knights the others didn't have.

In any case, he needed a way to draw them away, and to get past them to the gate, or at least thin the heard so the two of them could get past.

OOC: OK so looking for a way to set off some sort of obvious diversion, I guess they won't all fall for it. Someone will be left to guard things, but then again they don't know that there is anything to guard as they seem oblivious to the portal. So that being said, if we can set off something and then slip past all good and well. If not, I guess we might have to try and tackle them come what may and see if we can get past them by force if not stealth.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jan 04 2022, 19:10

Battlebug states the obvious "Boss, we can just... " he made a short swinging motion with his fist. "Sock em?"

Frostbite winced. These people were the UKChampions. Allies. Good guys. Heroes. Battlebug saw things in black and white. They were in the way and needed stomping. This was more of a grey situation - good guys, albeit misguided, on the wrong track, a misunderstanding... - and the youngsters natural instinct to leap in and start swinging ... well... that could quickly escalate this situation into all out war!

He looked again at the archway. The shape of the runes was an arch set in the stone wall of the ruin and should be clear as day to the gathered quartet as they stood around and looked.

"This is Fletchette." said the one in blue/yellow to a wrist communicator. "We're set up in the ruin. No sign of St John. We'll keep looking. This is just... a ruin."

"Understand." came a reply - a female voice. "We've got someone on the standing stones, sent a team to the mansion and we've got others looking through the village."

"All this for one man?" asked Fletchette. "I know we're new, but when Castaway said she'd be teleporting us into a 'hot zone' I hoped we'd finally see some action. We're new to the UKC but some of us have been pounding on bad guys for months, years even. This guy we're after, Automaton says he's some kind of Government Minister, some big wig at Whitehall. This is a matter for the police surely, not the UKChampions who've been teleported from all over the country to track him down. What did he do?"

"Just follow your orders Fletchette. It comes from being part of a team. I don't get told the ins and outs, only what needs to be done. If it helps it's something to do with that scumbag Nowhere Man. He's in custody - they finally got him after years of hunting him down and this old guy is in cahoots with Nowhere Man. Maybe tipping him off with information, maybe they are up to their eyes in some plot. Supposedly this old rich dude was once a costumed super in some team called the Lore Knights. I never heard of 'em, before my time, but even then there should be ... something on them. Newspaper articles or whatnot. Just keep your eyes open and remember - he's a civilian and Bombardier says ALIVE, UNHARMED and IN CUSTODY. This is your chance - and those with you. Heck, everyone here gets a chance to prove themselves. We're not just about battering the bad guys into the floor. Sometimes we have to use our powers to get the job done in ways we don't expect. Keep me posted. Champion out."

[Champion. Class 4 superhuman on the old Bergstrom Metahuman Classification scale. By that same measure you started out as a 2, advanced to a 3 and I would predict you are a mid to high 4/low 5. Lionheart is a 5. Battlebug is high 2/low to mid 3 in his unenhanced state and off any known measure when he accesses his full range of abilities. I suggest caution. The metahumans in front of you seem to be novices or less experienced than most. Without knowing the full range of their abilities they may yet present a problem for you both, for example if one can emit fire or radiation.] said Frostbot inside Frostbites' head.

The sentient program had a point! Things would be less clear cut if one of these guys or what seemed to be any one of the dozen or more UKChampions currently in or around Caer Alwyn could access either of those things. The tide of battle would change dramatically and even though Frostbite was one of the most powerful heroes in the UK, he wasn't unbeatable. Battlebug was - technically - one of the most powerful on the planet but was nowhere near unbeatable. If you were fast enough to strike at him first, he could be dropped relatively easily. Frostbite himself could do it, so he had no doubt the more capable of the UKChampions could.

Battlebug looked over. "So, Boss. Um. We could wait till Catherine gets the others here? I think we could take these guys no problem but it does feel kinda weird to be whacking good guys. Well... that said..." he took a deep breath and Frostbite saw his expression darken. "Not all good guys are what they say they are."

He was referring - no doubt - to the Chicago Champions whom his Uncle Tommy, the previous Mighty Flea had been a team mate of. He'd been killed by one of his own team mates and the youngster had been inspired to recreate the experiment detailed in his Uncles' journal albeit to a far more advanced scale. Technology advancements and the experiment not working as planned ended up with the youngster being able to tap some ... force... of the universe that left him with potentially limitless agility and strength as well as invulnerability on a scale that was frightening. All assuming he could access it in time of course.

Battlebug sighed. Still whispering he spoke as quietly as he could. The four UKC members were moving through the ruins still with three chatting and the Android crouching near the ground, examining something.

"What if... maybe I lead them away, on a wild goose chase? You can go look round the ruins if you want. There's nothing there though otherwise these guys would have found it." said Battlebug. "Whatever gate it is you are talking about must have rotted away. This place is a ruin. I don't know why the trail lead here but there's like, rocks and walls and not much else here. The trail vanished!"

Frostbite blinked. Battlebug couldn't see the gate? Still, he'd offered an option to his leader that didn't involve putting the UKChampions in A&E. Maybe he was learning?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jan 04 2022, 21:25

Admin wrote:"What if... maybe I lead them away, on a wild goose chase? You can go look round the ruins if you want. There's nothing there though otherwise these guys would have found it." said Battlebug. "Whatever gate it is you are talking about must have rotted away. This place is a ruin. I don't know why the trail lead here but there's like, rocks and walls and not much else here. The trail vanished!"

Frostbite blinked. Battlebug couldn't see the gate? Still, he'd offered an option to his leader that didn't involve putting the UKChampions in A&E. Maybe he was learning?

Frostbite looked hard at his young friend, "See this is why I hate the way they do things." he said nodding at the woman Flettechette. "Follow my orders, don't ask questions...well that is fine until the orders you get clearly don't fit the situation. Billy, orders are only worth following if you can trust the person giving them, but no one is perfect. No one can see possibilities, and I like to encourage my team to think with me. It's all about trust. This is why I am both going to let you follow your plan and trust you to do it as you know I would if I were with you. These guys are not our enemies, heck even Bombadier isn't, they've just got blindsided by their history over Nowhere Man, I get it he's a pain, but he's also been useful more than once. But this right now is them trying to make a show of force after being so badly beaten before. These guys are new, they're probably still quite green around the gills if you catch me. So don't let them catch you and don't lay a hand on them if you can help it. I don't want you or me to be put on Bombdiers naughty list!"

Frostbite looked again at the gate, "Although you and they can't see it this place is infused with magic, there is a doorway, hidden to most people's eyes...for some reason even you can't see it but I can." Frostbite let his voice drift off before snapping back to the present. "Lead them away from the ruin, if its safe go through the door if it will let you. If it's not safe rendezvous with Catherine and the others and stay back. If possible I'll find a way to bring you to me or get back to you. Stay on coms as well, with Catherine and me if the doorway will allow it. Ugh magic, if I could only get my head around it...right let's go."

And as Billy made to make the others follow, Frostbite made his way as swiftly as he could to the door.

OOC: As I go to the door, all being well, I'll clue Catherine in on the plan, just to keep her up to speed.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 06 2022, 10:42

Battlebug nodded. "Righto boss. I ... err... might have to encourage them to follow me. I promise to go easy on them!"

With a thumbs up to his friend, mentor and leader the youngster adjusted his mask, pulled on his gloves then rolled his neck. "Showtime!" he whispered with a grin.

OOC Adren Surge 24 + 4D Accuracy + Roll(6d12)+0: 4,5,10,9,1,11,+0 Total:21 (45) vs
OV8 + Multi 4 + Roll(2d12)+0: 11,1,+0 Total:12 (24) Success +6 (to 30) vs RV8 + Multi 4 (RV12)=18 RAPs

Dex boosted to 26
Str boosted to 22
Power Reserve to 28 (split 14/14 to Kinetic (18) and Energy Absorption (19))

"Yo!" said the youngster as he leapt and landed in the middle of the gathered UKChampions. With a leg sweep Lionheart would be proud of he leapt away shouting "Too slow suckers! You'll never catch me! Nowhere Man and me are Bros! Best buds! You'll never take me alllllivvvveeeee!" he called out as he hopped out of view over a ruin wall and made a theatrical "BOING!" shout every time he landed and took off again...

Frostbite winced.

OOC Multi Attack on 4, PULLING PUNCH (no knockback)  Dex 26 + M Arts 4D + Roll(6d12)+0: 1,7,3,9,4,5,+0 Total:16 (42) vs
Highest OV 10 + Multi 4 - Blindside 2 + acrobatics 2D + Roll(4d12)+0: 8,3,9,1,+0 Total:17 (29)
Success +5 (to 27) vs Highest RV 15 + Multi 6 + Pull Punch 2 (RV23)=4 RAPs each.

Fletchette acrobatically leapt aside but was caught anyway! Atomaton stated "Defence systems active. Predictive damage indicates defences will be sufficient to ... CLANG!" and the Android looked down at a foot sized dent in its chest!

"Illogical. Files of target state power levels are 2 on the Bergstrom classification sca..." it started...

"Autie! SHUT UP!" said Shieldmaiden who, despite having her shield up, was wiping blood away from her nose! "I'm going to GET that *&^%&*^%!" she roared and started sprinting through the ruins, leaping as she went!

"Wait! Shield Maiden! I'm in charge!" shouted Fletchette! He saw Automaton take to the air with foot jets boosting him up and shook his head. "Get that &^%$!" he shouted and leapt to the top of a ruin wall and off the other side, out of sight.

Totem was on his back and somewhat mixed up with his cloak. He rubbed his jaw, shaking his head. "By the unseen eyes of Trallemo! Never have I felt such a blow! And yet... the spirits say... this youth was not putting his ..." he stopped muttering to himself and frowned, staring at the wall Frostbite hid behind. Alone now with his team mates having taken off in hot pursuit of Battlebug, he stood and started to chant...

Somewhere in the ruins or around, Frostbite heard a shout "ME AND NOWHERE MAN ARE THICK AS THIEVES! YOU PUNKS AREN'T FIT TO LACE HIS BOOTS! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!"

He rolled his eyes.

"BOING! WOOOHOOOO! COMIN ATCHA! BOING!"

OOC Frostbite wins initiative. This is a magic user you face. I know how much fun you have with that sort of thing...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jan 06 2022, 12:34

Admin wrote:He rolled his eyes.

"BOING! WOOOHOOOO! COMIN ATCHA! BOING!"

OOC Frostbite wins initiative. This is a magic user you face. I know how much fun you have with that sort of thing...

Frostbite didn't want to go on the offence with this guy, Totem, but if he didn't do something offence is what he'd be facing. So raising himself quickly, he sped to the gate and manifested as hard a frost as he could all around the man, to encase him in ice, sufficient to ruin his spell and grant him a clear pass to the doorway.

OOC: OK going for a non-lethal attack, either grapple or just dumping a load of ice on him, to stop him and get myself unhindered to the door before he can get a bead on me.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 10 2022, 22:08

OOC Switching power reserve to Ice Production (now 15). Going for a 'grapple' attack.

AV15 + Roll(2d12)+0: 8,5,+0 Total:13 (28) vs
OV6 + Acrobatics 1D + Roll(3d12)+0:  5,7,7,+0 Total:14 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 5,5,+0 Total:10 DOUBLE (uh oh) plus Roll(2d12)+0:
2,9,+0 Total:35 (41) MISSED! (Don't blame me, I use an online dice roller!)

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #12 "Something bad this way comes." - Page 9 Dice-roll-results

With incredible agility Totem spins, ducks, weaves and rolls away from Frostbites' icy blast which follows him and leaves the ruins resembling a winter wonderland!

He moves over to the archway but is dismayed to see the UKChampion is still on his feet!

"Frostbite!" hisses Totem. "I know not what has happened to you, whether you be ensorcelled or have become corrupted, but I, TOTEM, shall lay you low and you will answer our questions when in the custody of the UKChampions!"

"...skrrzzz... Totem? Don't engage Frostbite! He's too power... arggh! Someone blast this &^&*%&^$% kid!" squawked a voice on the two way radio on Totems' wrist.

"I think not!" chuckled Totem. "Behold and feel the wrath of Uzmentiirs' wicked wave of wrath!"

OOC Fancy name for a magic blast.

Crit Blow! AV 12 + Roll(2d12)+0: 10,3,+0 Total:13 (25) vs
OV9 + Range 1 +Crit Blow 4 + Roll(2d12)+0: 11,11,+0 Total:22 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 5,8,+0 Total:35 (49)
MISSED!

Frostbite saw eldritch energy form in the air, the wizards hands forming symbols whilst he muttered words unheard for thousands of years! The strange yellow/green beam cast a light across the ruins and catapulted towards Frostbite... who stepped aside and around it!

"It's not... not possible!" shivered Totem as his breath formed vapour in the air!

Somewhere in the ruins someone shouted "I have him! I have him! I... THWACK!"

Frostbite winced as a bulky muscled man - [STORMROCK] advised Frostbot, [Another new addition to the UKChampions number. Possessed of great strength, durability and the source of his power - a magic stone - can summon up inclement weather which increases his abilities]

'Can he fly?' thought Frostbite upon seeing the fellow tumble through the air.

[Only in stormy weather] replied Frostbot.

The Vanguard leader winced then saw Battlebug bound into the air, scoop Stormrock by the ankle and fling him towards the floor. "Watch out where you land buddy! You might... ooooh!"

There was a crash and a cry out of several heroes!

"STEEEERRRRIKKKEEE!" yelled Battlebug.

Inwardly groaning Frostbite knew his young friend was enjoying this a bit too much but he had his own problems! Totem was gearing up for another of those spells!

"sskkrrrzzzz... a mentalist down here! Or a mystic! Where's Totem? We need this kid taken down! NOW!" squawked the two way on Totems' wrist.

"skkrrzzz... This is MAJESTIC. Contain the target but do not engage! I am incoming and shall dispatch both rogues! We'll then get to the bottom of this!"

Somewhere far away a hypersonic boom was ringing out... and getting louder!

[Majestic. Considered by many to be a peer of Adjutant and rival in terms of power. Superior Strength, reflexes, invulnerability, speed and various powers including flight and superhuman senses as well as a powerful energy blast that can punch through the hardest alloy. Level 4 to 5 on the Bergstrom Clasification of Metahuman ability scale. CAUTION ADVISED.] stated Frostbot

Frostbite looked to the skies! This was getting worse by the second! He might have to order Battlebug to stop going easy on the UKChampions or disengage completely! He would have to... oops! He glanced at Totem who had finished his incantation and was about to let fly another spell!

OOC But Frostbite acts first!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jan 11 2022, 12:22

Admin wrote:Frostbite looked to the skies! This was getting worse by the second! He might have to order Battlebug to stop going easy on the UKChampions or disengage completely! He would have to... oops! He glanced at Totem who had finished his incantation and was about to let fly another spell!

OOC But Frostbite acts first!

OOC: OK against my better judgement, I am going to open up with Ice blast against Totam going for accuracy over damage and then calling BB to join me so we can step through the portal together, I we can.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jan 11 2022, 19:46

FROSTBITE

"You... you're supposed to be a hero! Fight it!" said Totem, albeit whilst he himself was cooking up another mystical attack!

Frostbite gritted his teeth. This guy was a hero, not a bad guy, but he needed to drop him and get to that archway!

OOC PULL PUNCH Energy Blast 26 + 4D Accuracy + Roll(6d12)+0: 4,8,1,2,8,2,+0 Total:16 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0:
4,2,+0  Total:22 (48) vs
OV6 + 1D Acrobatics + Roll(3d12)+0: 3,9,3,+0 Total:6 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 5,5,+0 Total:10 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0:
7,5,+0 Total:28 (34)
Success +5 (to 31EV) vs RV6 + Pull Punch 2 (RV8)=23APs. Because of pull punch it was never going to be lethal but Totem is DOWN and OUT. That's 17APs (over the top) which means that Totem is out for an hour plus 2 days!

Frostbite winced as he unleashed his most potent energy beam! It illuminated Totem like a Christmas Tree but was angled so as not to fling Totem through the air like a rag doll with potentially lethal consequences!

He floated over quickly to Totem and pressed a finger to his throat. His strong pulse was regular but Frostbot confirmed it was deep - Totem wasn't waking up ANY time soon!

With a sigh the hero stood and turned. The runes on the archway were still illuminated - for him only it seemed.

"Battlebug! This is Frostbite! Get back here!" he barked into the wrist mounted communicator.

"...BOING! Yeah you guys need a new coach. I mean... come on! I'm ONE dude and I'm TOTALLY kicking your ahhh? Boss? Yup I'll... uh... what's this?" Frostbite heard.

The hero floated above the level of the ruins in his most protective 'fluid' form which was icy liquid held together by will. There was a LOUD sonic boom and FWOOSH!

Inwardly, Frostbite winced.

A dozen UKChampions were lying dazed scattered around the mound where the standing stones were! A few Black garbed SMITE agents were shouting at Battlebug to stand down whilst aiming at him but had not fired on the youngster. Presumably Dawson had ordered that, but Frostbite hoped this situation wouldn't get to the point where SMITE turned on the Vanguard!

Now though...

A powerful red white and blue garbed man floated in the air, looking at the battleground below and his (fledgling) team mates dazed and scattered. Then he looked at Battlebug. "YOU!" he shouted at the Teenager. "STAND DOWN! NOW!" he roared. "You have NO idea how out of your depth you are here boy!"

He'd not seen Frostbite yet but the Vanguard leader saw Battlebug crouch on a standing stone. "Boss? Uh... Got Majestic here, and he's like, not happy. If he attacks me what am I...?"

"You are testing my patience boy!" roared Majestic and he started to float forwards, his eyes glowing...

OOC ohhhh! Here we go!

BATTLEBUG vs MAJESTIC and FROSTBITE in the middle!

Initiative...

Frostbite 32 + Roll(1d12)+0: 11,+0 Total:11 (43)
Battlebug 30 + Roll(1d12)+0: 7,+0 Total:7 (37)
Majestic 43 + Roll(1d12)+0: 2,+0 Total:2 (45)

Majestic is astonishingly fast and about to act when he sees Frostbite. "You! You are responsible for this... disgrace! STAND DOWN! This is your ONLY warning or when you both wake up it will be in a cell with power sapping cuffs applied!"

[MAJESTIC. Class 4 Superhuman. Vast Superhuman strength and durability, superhuman reflexes and speed, escape velocity flight capable and an array of superhuman senses. Also can emit energy from his eyes with unerring accuracy and increase his density to make himself practically invulnerable as well as increasing his strength.] stated Frostbot.

OOC Majestic delays his action so Frostbite then Battlebug to act.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jan 11 2022, 20:58

Admin wrote:[MAJESTIC. Class 4 Superhuman. Vast Superhuman strength and durability, superhuman reflexes and speed, escape velocity flight capable and an array of superhuman senses. Also can emit energy from his eyes with unerring accuracy and increase his density to make himself practically invulnerable as well as increasing his strength.] stated Frostbot.

OOC Majestic delays his action so Frostbite then Battlebug to act.

Frostbite was at an impasse, if he went through the portal Billy would be left alone, not knowing if he could pass that way either. If he tried to join Frostbite would even his considerable speed make a difference if Majestic could beat him on speed? Lamenting with a deep groan within Frostbite felt that the inevitability of coming to blows was now all but a foregone conclusion.

"Battle Bug, we are not going to be able to get to the portal whilst Majestic is standing. He is so blindsided by this mission he can't think for himself or see what else is going on. I won't blame you if you do not want to fight him. Part of me doesn't want you to either. But he will not let us go through the portal without trying to stop us and if he does, we'll both be depowered behind bars and that is that till the sun doesn't shine. If you want to continue down what has become a dark and winding path, in which they say we are villains, then we'll attack. If not, stand down and they'll probably pin a medal on you and make you a member of the UK Champions. But I owe too much to Justin to let him down now, and so I'll go through the portal alone if you do stand down. If not, then I am asking you to trust me, not knowing where this will take us and it might not be where I want it to be as we may well be on the wrong side of the law. If you are with me, then we are going to have to try and take Majestic down long enough for us go through this portal unimpeded. So what do you think?"

OOC: Oh I hate this, I don't want to attack Majestic and make out that the Vanguard are rogue terrorists, but I can't see how we can get around this and I will not leave Billy to his fate unless he chooses to stand down and surrender. If he doesn't then we are going to have to attack Majestic in order to get through the portal together. Ho hum! This means me putting everything into a Devastating attack with my Ice Blast, whilst trying to tell Majestic he is wrong and needs to stop trying to capture the good guys and get his head in the game.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jan 14 2022, 12:40

MAJESTIC of the UKCHAMPIONS

Then: He'd received the call and turned to oil rig workers. "You have this?" he called out over the roar and crash of the waves and stepped gently away from the crane he'd been holding up.

The welders - teams of them numbering in their dozens - had worked solidly for hours bracing and reinforcing the structure of the big crane on the rig and unable to do even that without an emergency call leading to a call to the UKChampions sending ouot one of their most powerful members, considered by many second to Adjutant who remained in the hospital in a coma. That left him as top dog in his eyes.

The crane held and he read the message further. From UKC HQ, probably Bombardier or one of the others in charge of the operation as a whole. The man was a blowhard. Good fighter, good field leader but a bloody pain in the backside to get on with. Probably on a par with Atomica who was gracious and charming to those in favour, aloof, unapproachable and arrogant to everyone else.

Alpha threat.

The Vanguard? What the dickens was this? He scrolled down. Frostbite gone rogue. Caer Alwyn (coordinates provided). Threat level 1.

1? He scrolled down. Ah. The boy. A situation of much discussion in the hallowed halls at UKC HQ. SMITE had sided with the Vanguard and he expected more of Dawson. Justin St Johns - the head honcho of metahuman affairs in the UK and answering only to the PM and the Queen - was a fan and many in the UKChampions had suspected there was more to his story. Majestic scrolled down.

Justin St John had gone rogue, been revealed as a super and in league with known vigilante/wanted terrorist Nowhere Man. Nowhere Man in custody, St John had teleported away to ... Caer Alwyn.

Another beep as a message came through. He sighed. He'd need to...

Code Alpha. Another ... ah. Caer Alwyn. A UKChampions team from the Midlands had been closest and under supervision/training and Castaway had used her ability to teleport them on site instantly. More UKC were en route responding to the Alpha/Threat 1 code. Update... the team - a dozen supers, albeit some Majestic himself didn't recognise, were out. Down.

"You've really done it this time Frostbite." he hissed.

He tapped on the link of Caer Alwyn and settled his earpiece in.

"Hey! Thanks so much for your help!" called the forward as he moved across the rain sodden deck. "Is there any chance you can..."

THOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

The foreman fell back as Majestic shot up like a missile and in a heartbeat he was a dot in the sky, heading south even as a CRACK! and BOOOM! followed in his wake at high altitude!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Steeple_jackuk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jan 14 2022, 18:58

Admin wrote:MAJESTIC of the UKCHAMPIONS

THOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

The foreman fell back as Majestic shot up like a missile and in a heartbeat he was a dot in the sky, heading south even as a CRACK! and BOOOM! followed in his wake at high altitude! [/i]

OOC: Did you need me to respond to this in game? Are you subtly hinting I should talk this through? Just want to make sure I read the room right, if you see what I mean.

Frostbite is all for talking, but the way that the message played out made it seem as if Majestic had just read and take in what he had read (despite knowing Bombardier is a blowhard) as a given. Not sure if he has doubts, but FB wouldn't know that of course. I'd always prefer to use brains over brawn but sometimes brawn is all we've got.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jan 14 2022, 22:06

OOC no response, no. I started to add the follow up but had to break off to go get my son (staying over the weekend!) Just a little backstory as to Majestics' thinking, makes him less of a 2D cutout hopefully.

Now:

MAJESTIC and THE VANGUARD

Frostbite made his point to Battlebug then made his own decision... Justin St John was more than a friend. He was the backbone of the Vanguard, a true hero and a calming influence in terms of politics, the media and SMITE. More than that Nowhere Man had triggered a series of events that ensured Justin got back to Caer Alwyn to... what? Whatever it was, he hoped it would help fight the enemies on the moon which had Steph... and who represented a disastrous, very real threat to the entirety of humanity!

Majestic could stop all that - by bringing the Vanguard in and with potential consequences too horrible to contemplate!

No way the hero would buy any of that after the Vanguard had pounded a dozen of their operatives into the floor...

He took aim and blasted at the powerful hero!

OOC DEV ATTACK! Energy Blast 26 + 4D Accuracy (0D Acro) + Roll(6d12)+0: 9,10,9,1,12,8,+0 Total:18 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 11,1,+0 Total:30 (56) vs
OV16 + 2D Acro (2D M Arts) + DEV ATTACK 8 + Roll(4d12)+0: 10,8,11,1,+0 Total:21 (45)
Success +5 (to 31EV) vs RV28 - 12 Dev Attack (RV16)=15 RAPs.

Majestic absorbs 8 of those with last ditch defence (36HP, remaining 64HP) and is on 7/15 Body. He is STUNNED

Despite trying to avoid the blast Majestic is pounded backwards to crash into a ruined wall in the keep which collapses on top of him!

"Boss?" spluttered Battlebug. "That was BADASS! I Hope you didn't k... uh oh."

The stones move aside as Majestic stands, albeit on slightly wobbly feet!

"That it?" splutters the hero, dusting himself off and looking up at Frostbite. "You've crossed a line mister." he snarled, flexing his fists.

"If he's crossed a line, you're gonna have kittens when you see what I do to you!" snarled Battlebug as he leapt up to crouch in front of Majestic.

"So, this guy? He can breathe in space right?" asks Battlebug.

[Correct. Majestic can operate in vacuum for an extended period] confirmed Frostbot.

"Yes but..." replied Frostbite.

"Cool!" said Battlebug

OOC Go for broke +8/-12 Adren Surge 24 + 4D Accuracy + Roll(6d12)+0: 10,6,8,3,7,12,+0 Total:22 (46) vs
OV8 + Multi 4 + GFB 8 + Roll(2d12)+0:8,4,+0  Total:12 (32)
Success +5 (to 29EV) vs RV8 + Multi 4 (RV12) - 12 GFB (RV0). 29 RAPs.

Dex boosted to 37
Str boosted to 35
Pow Reserve to 37 (a point to Dex/Str)

Knockback attack DEV ATTACK Dex 38 +4D M Arts + Roll(6d12)+0: 8,2,2,6,4,11,+0 Total:19 (57) vs
OV16 + Acro 0D (Stunned) + 8 Dev attack + Roll(2d12)+0: 8,6,+0 Total:14 (38)
Success +6 (to 42) vs RV28 - 12 Dev Attack (RV16)=26RAPs
Unfortunately Majestic is SUPER DENSE (in terms of weight) and weighs 15APs so the knockback is reduced to 2 miles (11APs)

Battlebug grabs Majestic and whirls him around and round... then lets fire!

The Vanguardians watch Majestic fly up... and up...

[Majestic will not be thrown into space] stated Frostbot.

"I may have ... underestimated just how much Majestic weighs Boss." said Battlebug. "I suggest we skedaddle"

Frostbite watched the distant dot that was Majestic vanish from view a couple of miles up and the pair of them turned to to move to the archway.

"He's gonna be REALLY annoyed when we get back Boss. I just couldn't... I mean... I have a poster of him on the wall. And Adjutant. And some of the others. Atomica. Man, she's hot." muttered the youngster.

In front of the arch now, Battlebug turned to the prone form of Totem. "Man, you sorted him out boss. Remind me never to get on your bad side..."

Pressing a hand to the wall, Frostbite saw a bright glow, the runes around the arch glowing and the stones inside the arch vanished, revealing a worn stone staircase.

"Boss?" asked Battlebug. "We didn't put Majestic down. He'll be back shortly... are we gonna find this entrance or what?"

It seemed clear Battlebug couldn't see what Frostbite was seeing!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jan 16 2022, 20:52

Admin wrote:It seemed clear Battlebug couldn't see what Frostbite was seeing!

Turning to his youthful companion and teammate Frostbite held out his hand. "Billy take my hand, it's time to take a turn into the rabbit warren... let's go!"

And taking the youngsters hand, he led them forward to the stairs and down...

OOC: I am assuming that despite what he is not seeing as Billy sees me go through, and taking his arm, he is able to follow and we can then head on in. But if he needs convincing - trust me etc, then that is fine, we can go with that as well if need be. I hope we get to make up with Majestic at some point, it seems like a really bad idea to be on the bad side of him. Hope your weekend with your son has gone well, Paul.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 20 2022, 21:08

With a loose grasp on Battlebugs' wrist Frostbite stepped forwards...

"Boss what... wow!" he said as the pair of heroes stepped through the wall and stood at the top of worn steps. "That what it feels like to move through solid objects? I could have sworn I'd bounce off the wall then!"

The stairwell, like the rest of the castle ruins, was ancient. Easily a thousand, probably much more, years old. It smelled damp and cold but that didn't bother either hero as they moved down the steps. Frostbite hovered, Battlebug took half a dozen at a time with sure footedness that would amaze any Olympic Gymnast!

Near the bottom Frostbites thermal vision kicked in and he saw faint red/orange patches on the steps. Footsteps. Battlebug had no problems seeing with his night vision backed up by his sonar.

The pair paused. They could hear a woman's voice ahead. The stairs finally levelled out into a corridor with a large double oak door framed by a stone arch. The runes engraved in the stone suggested that, too, was enchanted and beyond was a room with a long wooden table and a dozen high backed carved oak chairs around it.

There was a form on the floor. With his infra vision Frostbite couldn't tell who it was but Battlebug whispered "Is that the guy we're here to save? Justin whatsisname?"

The woman's voice continued "...Repeat, this is DOMINA. I have captured Justin St John and appear to be in some kind of... meeting room. It's really old down here! I don't know what he wanted but I surprised him and whacked him before he could do anything. There's a bunch of rusted, broken swords on the table and ... is anyone there? This is Domina to any UKC. Respond."

She appeared to be talking to a wrist communicator as worn by all UKChampions.

[Domina. Another new recruit. Details are scarce but she appears to be someone who can mind control someone by inhabiting their physical form. Without knowing her exact abilities I can only surmise that Justin did not know she had inhabited him and was surprised when she attacked, given that despite his age he is still in superb physical condition and a formidable boxer and hand to hand combatant from his time in the Lore Knights and before then as a keen amateur and occasional professional with a solid record.] stated Frostbot.

"Should I...?" Battlebug whispered, making a short swinging motion with his fist.

Frostbite continued to listen as Domina picked Justin up by the hair and crouched next to him. "What were you doing down here, eh? Up to no good like that villain mate of yours Nowhere Man no doubt? Bet you didn't see ME coming eh? I certainly don't think you saw that punch coming - it's not every day someone gets flattened by a punch from themselves!" she laughed.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jan 24 2022, 15:11

Admin wrote:Frostbite continued to listen as Domina picked Justin up by the hair and crouched next to him. "What were you doing down here, eh? Up to no good like that villain mate of yours Nowhere Man no doubt? Bet you didn't see ME coming eh? I certainly don't think you saw that punch coming - it's not every day someone gets flattened by a punch from themselves!" she laughed.

Though it was hardly how he would prefer to handle this situation, without Lionheart both Battle Bug and he was vulnerable to this woman's abilities. Worst still if she was to taken on Battle Bug, who knows what she might decide to do within his body. Besides which Frostbite didn't fancy the idea of either one of them playing host to the woman and the UKChampions using that information against them.

It still didn't sit well, but the woman's unkind and sneering attitude to Justin also made firing an ice blast at her a little easier.

OOC: OK go for a sucker punch with the energy attack and have BB follow up with a love tap if she isn't down from my blast. I will put all points in to take her out in the most non-lethal way possible.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 31 2022, 10:54

Battlebugs' eyes widened as he saw his friend and leader level an arm at the super heroine but gave a little nod. If Frostbite didn't put her down, he would!

This was a hero though, and an ally, in theory. Frostbite grimaced. This situation was a mess and no mistake!

OOC Me. Heroes fighting heroes over a misunderstanding is a common superhero trope!

Frostbite Energy Blast PULLING PUNCH Av26 +4D Accuracy + Roll(6d12)+0: 10,12,1,4,1,9,+0 Total:22 (48) vs
OV7 + Range 2 - Blindside 2 + Roll(2d12)+0: 6,8,+0 Total:14 (21) Success +7 (to EV33)
EV33 vs RV6 + Pull Punch 2 (RV8)=25 RAPs. This is 19 APs 'over the top' and means that Domina will be 'out' for the standard time of 1 hour plus 19APs of time. That's round about 2 weeks!. You can choose to use less power in terms of APs to hit/damage with and that's your call. So if you know someone is an ordinary human being it's pointless using more than 4 or 5 APs of Effect against their 2 Body. Against supers it's much harder to predict how tough someone will be. For example Domina has 6 Body which (in theory) makes her able to resist a gunshot wound from a small calibre weapon (like the small .38 calibre weapons you see in movies from a certain time period. These days everyone uses Glocks because they look cool.) To make sure she goes down you'd use at least 12 APs, maybe a few more. Even these she might have absorbed some with last ditch defence so it's a bit of a guessing game unless you fought that opponent before and know how tough (or otherwise) they are.

Frostbite is incredibly, amazingly powerful. His energy blast would punch a big enough hole in a mountain that it wouldn't be much of a problem to make a superhero style cave/layer. Anything like a tank or battleship has no chance. That door in America that the Ultrahumans just got through is another matter though. That, Frostbite can blast through given time, but he has little or no chance if the forcefield is up on it too.

I digress.

Battlebug hopped over and felt the pulse of the downed woman. "That got her boss! Still feels bad. Weird, fighting the UKChampions though." He set Domina up against a wall in a seating position and tried to ensure she'd not fall over. "I guess we'll need to make sure the UKC find her."

Frostbite nodded and made his way over to his friend and colleague Justin St John.

The man groaned and Frostbite breathed a sigh of relief. Opening his eyes, seeing Frostbite and glancing about him, Justin sighed. "There was a time when I wouldn't have fallen for a mind control trick like that but times have moved on. I don't have my powers and abilities like I used to - well, most of them anyway - but I can still swing a mean right hook. Punching myself hurts!" he said, rubbing his jaw as he was helped up.

Glancing at the downed Domina he pulls a face. "This is a mess. Caldwell has, once again, muddied the waters and I'll make sure there's a reckoning!"

Still reeling from the punch he'd effectively driven into his own jaw whilst mind controlled Justin muttered, slurring. "Think I broke my jaw." With a shake of the head he steadied himself, thanked Frostbite for the helping hand and moved over to the Ancient oak table.

"What is this place sir?" asked Battlebug.

"Caer Alwyn? It's the seat of power for the Lore Knights young man. They were called here by magic, imbued with powers and abilities beyond those of ordinary men and women and sent out to battle that which humanity was never meant to know about. Over time the threats changed and finally the land itself decided there were enough protectors that the Lore Knights could fade into history."

He looked at the dust covered table and the broken swords that were in front of each chair. Well, most of the chairs.

"Not everyone gave up their abilities, feeling that they could still serve some use even in this age of wonders. Wendell... TOR became 'one with the land'. He was always nervy around people but when he was a lumbering stone giant, impervious and eager to protect others? He came into his own. Some of the others, Cheshire, Ursa, Red Dragon... well, I tried to keep in touch as you do but people drift away. Wraith you know. James Caldwell. He was ejected from the Lore Knights because he used his powers for vengeance after his fiance was killed. He made a pact with dark powers and became Nowhere Man. He's not evil, but his moral compass points in different directions from most people."

He glanced at Frostbite. "That doesn't explain why he 'threw me under the bus' and himself into jail though. Unless..."

He moved to the head of the table and pulled the chair out. Taking in a deep breath he sat down and reached for the broken sword in it's slot in front of him. The blade was shattered in several places and his hand closed around the hilt...

All of a sudden torches along the walls burst into flame and a breeze sprung up, swirling dust about!

"Boss?" muttered Battlebug as he spun about...

Frostbite watched Justin and his friend glanced back, then concentrated, looking at the sword.

Which started to glow.

The broken pieces seemed to flow, leap, stretch towards the rest of the blade and it a heartbeat it was whole again, shining as if new!

"JUSTIN ST JOHN!" bellowed a voice from all around.

"THE GHOST KNIGHT, RETURNED. WHY?"

"I came because the land may be imperilled, and I sought to answer the call."

"THE LAND IS INDEED IMPERILLED."

The volume lowered somewhat but was still audible by Justin, Joe and Billy.

"There is a dark force on its way. They are evil and operate in a way alien to notions of honour. They are mystical in origin and so few are prepared to face it!"

Justin pulled a face. "I will serve but... I'm older now. Surely there are those who can...?"

"The land will empower you Justin St John. Whilst Britain stands and her people have faith and hope, so you will be energised and renewed..."

"To what end?" asked Justin. "My life is yours, I give it freely but..."

"The LORE KNIGHTS must ride again!" bellowed the voice.

"What? Surely there are enough... Champions...protecting Britain? I have two of the finest with me here! Frostbite leads the Vanguard, the greatest force for good that the country has ever..."

"The Vanguard are indeed noble and powerful, but they cannot face down the threat that will soon shroud the land! BRITAIN shall be the focus and target of their attack as it is a land steeped in magical power and history like no other! Once Britain has fallen the invaders will seek out the places where ley lines cross and drain their magic. Once the magic is drained, and their powers increased beyond all imagining, they shall render the Earth lifeless, all on it as mindless husks!"

"Even the Ultrahumans? The UKChampions? The Vanguard? There are enough super powered champions out there to..."

"These invaders are drawn by magic! They shall target those who are a threat to them! They will move the pieces of their chess game into play behind the scenes so that when they make their move, the check mate will come whilst humanity knows little or nothing of their fate!"

Justin frowned. "Then ... what? I should become Ghost Knight again? Alone against..."

"No. Take up the mantle. Lead. Send out the call. Form a new Lore Knights force and go forth to meet the invaders, seek out their agents and stop their plans. Protect against that which humanity was never meant to know about."

Justin considered, then nodded. "So be it. I shall answer the call and send out one of my own. I shall become, once more..."

GHOST KNIGHT!

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #12 "Something bad this way comes." - Page 9 Ghost-knight

The sword vanished, becoming a huge spiked mace or morning star! Armour formed around Justin and he seemed to stand taller, broader in it! There was an air of magic about the place and a blinding flash of light as he was empowered once more!

"I thought a day like this would come." said Justin from within the helm, his voice deep and echoing. "Justin St John must die, and I will live on... As Ghost Knight!"

Frostbite was about to protest but his friend held up a hand. "As I say, I always thought a day like this may come so I set up certain trust funds, actions, legalities that no one, not even the Government or the UKChampions, can undo!"

He lifted his helm and Frostbite/Battlebug gasped!

Justin St John had been in fabulous shape but was a man in his mid to late fifties. The man in the armour was in his late twenties, at most without grey hair or wrinkle in sight! he looked vaguely like Justin, but the man himself added "I Shall become Robert Carlyle St John, heir to the title and lands of the St John family and continue my work, albeit out of the public - or the Government - eye. That means I won't be the 'man on the inside' any more and we - you - will have to watch your step my friend. Funding for the Vanguard is assured and will continue, but you will have a new base. Wandafar should be able to tell you of that when you return to the house. Get packed. I'm sure SMITE and the UKChampions will be paying a visit and I hope our diminutive genius friend will enact the plan we concocted years ago after I sent him the text coded message."

"My path is clear. I must go out into the land, send out the call and form a new group of Lore Knights. We will then do battle with these mysterious mystical invaders but I don't doubt for a minute that you will play a big part in this, despite it not being your area of expertise. We'll get Steph back, alive and well, and stop this new menace... or die trying."

"What about the UKChampions? They think you... we... are bad guys?" asked Battlebug. "We step out there and they'll be all over us! We won't be able to fight them all off..."

"The two of you?" asked Justin, raising an eyebrow. "I think you'd be surprised young man. Nonetheless what has been unmade must be reforged. Frostbite is the best man for that. Talk to them. Convince them. Form an alliance. Be the leader that I know you to be. It's time to step into the light Frostbite. The nation knows little about the Vanguard, save that they get the job done when the UKChampions screw up. I suggest you go to the UKC HQ and step into your rightful place. As the leader of Britains' superheroes."

Frostbite frowned.

He was about to respond when Robert (formerly Justin) held a hand up. "Time is short my friend. I'll make sure she gets the care she needs and you two can return to the mansion. You'll have to do some packing. As for me? I need to find someone to take up those swords..."

The trio turned to look at the table, now gleaming and polishing. The swords on there were sat in slots in front of each chair and were polished, gleaming, shining, whole...

"I'd better do something about Mr Caldwell too, unless you want to sort that mess out." muttered Robert.

Frostbite grimaced. Nowhere Man. In a way he'd set this whole series of events in motion. As usual he'd not bothered to explain things, or rationalise his actions, just jumped in head first and expect others to catch up. Hopefully now the Lore Knights might stand the best chance of defending the land against a threat so sinister and powerful that humanity might not know it was being destroyed until it was too late!

END OF ISSUE

OOC HP awards to come, and a new chapter for the Vanguard/Frostbite!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jan 31 2022, 20:22

Admin wrote:Frostbite grimaced. Nowhere Man. In a way he'd set this whole series of events in motion. As usual he'd not bothered to explain things, or rationalise his actions, just jumped in head first and expect others to catch up. Hopefully now the Lore Knights might stand the best chance of defending the land against a threat so sinister and powerful that humanity might not know it was being destroyed until it was too late!

END OF ISSUE

OOC HP awards to come, and a new chapter for the Vanguard/Frostbite!

OOC: Wow that was suitable dramatic, well-done mate, and well played I enjoyed that end and that beginning. Intrigued to see where we go next.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Feb 04 2022, 11:14

OOC juggling long work shifts with sleep and not much else this week (I really dislike going to work in an afternoon...)

I had to look back to see what had been covered in this issue. Quite a lot as it turns out (including potentially one of the biggest fights we've ever run as Eurotrash do their 'army of supervillain' thing again. Then there was the encounter on the moon with the big bad (and that was just the opening salvo - there are some fights you can't win by punching the bad guy..) and uncovering Stonelord as a villain. Also the fallout from Eurotrash's EMP attack on London (as orchestrated by Saladin and Frostbyte your evil twins from another universe) and the fall out with the UKChampions (or at least some of them. Bombardier would fall out with his own reflection.). There was Nowhere Man turning up to put a spoke in Justin St Johns' wheels and change everything for the Vanguard from this point forward, but it turns out his master plan was to drag Justin out of retirement to once more take up the mantle of the Ghost Knight and reform the Lore Knights to battle the magical badass on the moon to rescue Steph aka Reflex.

That brought the Vanguard, or at least its two most powerful (and probably the two most powerful heroes in Britain and possibly Europe) members Frostbite and Battlebug into conflict with the UKChampions who'd seen fit via Castaway to teleport some mid level heroes in training to take out the Vanguard and capture Justin St John at his ancestral home of Caer Alwyn. Big mistake. One of the more powerful UKChampions, Majestic, steamed in as he usually does expecting his vast superhuman strength, durability and speed to save the day only to be staggered by a potent energy blast by Frostbite and thrown miles away by Battlebug who found it difficult to attack one of his idols!

Once in the secret ruins underneath the old keep the Vanguard found that Justin had been flattened by Domina, a UKChampion with the power to inhabit and control someones' body! After saving him the Vanguard witnessed the former superhero take up the mantle once more of Ghost Knight, de-aging by thirty years in the process and declaring Justin St John dead, but enacting a plan he'd concocted with Wandafar long ago to transfer his funds, titles and holdings to a long lost son, Robert Carlyle St John who (thanks to Wandafar) had something of a history as a playboy, spending 'daddys' money on parties, fast cars, yachts and pretty ladies.

Now the prodigal son has seemingly returned. The UKChampions are at odds with the Vanguard, Justin St John has been 'outed' as a former superhero (at least to the UKChampions - some important government types will be aware of his past on a 'need to know' basis) and 'fried' or at least ally of Nowhere Man, who has been incarcerated and de-powered seemingly.

Frank Dawson, divisional commander of the Strategic Metahuman International Terrorist Elimination or SMITE was not only a acquaintance and working colleague of the Vanguard on several cases, but a champion of their cause and effectiveness. The Vanguard were never a flashy or media spotlit group but with the revelation that Nowhere Man - whom the media and government had long portrayed as a villain and a wanted person - had worked with Justin St John (Government liaison between the superhero community, media and Whitehall) - had to distance himself somewhat for fear that SMITE might be tarnished with the same brush.

With the knowledge that the Vanguard had attacked the UKChampions - long seen as a semi official Government sponsored team and media darling though their recent performances had seen them nosedive in the eyes of the public - and soundly beaten them, it remained to be seen what Frostbites' team status would be.

The UKChampions had their own problems though. Their public humiliation as Eurotrash ran rampant in the capital, along with the revelation that Stonelord was a turncoat in cahoots with Eurotrash (formerly run by Professor Power, whereabouts unknown) and had many of the secrets of the UKChampions in his head as a member of supposedly good and long standing... Justin (now Carlyle St John a young man with an old experienced head on his shoulders) had stated that it was time for Frostbite to step up and into the light. To lead the superheroes of the country as a figurehead, a leader and a champion. With Battlebug (one of the most powerful heroes on the planet) beside him and his team including Surge, Reflex (currently a captive on the moon), Barracuda, Timmy Jones the Cyborg, Catherine Stowe (the former hero heroine Captain Ion) Melody and others, including the alien genius Wandafar (a former superhero in the Executive) beside him the Vanguard had more than made up for the 'loss' of Lionheart who now was a part of the Ultrahumans, the most powerful superhero group on Earth.

Perhaps it was time to 'step up'. They'd need all the help they could get to counter what was coming - a spacefaring race of mystical aliens that makes the nefarious ADVENT alien invasion and their meddling time incursions seem like a training session!

=========

Let me know if I missed anything! I think this year (!) I will tidy up the house rule documents and the character datafiles to put them all in one place with a uniform look. Make the place a bit tidier in other words! Might need some help with that Very Happy

Frostbite had 75HP after the last issue (and hasn't spent any that I can see in this. It's tricky to track over the course of 11 months!)

The level of opposition in the adventure was equal to superior. The team had a good chance of escaping (and did so) but there were bad guys that were out of their area of expertise... We'll call that SUPERIOR

There were several times where the dice needed to be kind but on the whole the Critical Points were EQUAL (meaning you have a good chance of failure or success)

The area of consequence is (for this adventure anyway) NATIONWIDE. The UKChampions have been battered (in more ways than one) and only the Vanguard saved their face, their asses and the country. Without the Vanguard's intervention EUROTRASH would have (finally) triumphed. The villain group (which Frostbite has faced from his earliest appearances in the old GOLDEN HEROES game) is still about and just as chaotic/incompetent but have a new, channelled, dangerous direction thanks to the evil versions of FROSTBITE and LIONHEART (Frostbyte and Saladin they go by...)

The severity is PERMANENT NONFATAL meaning Eurotrash would have thrown the country into chaos without a government, war and crime running rampant in the streets with ADVENT ready to step in to help a despairing populace against the unchecked superhumans! It was a close call!

The standard award is 43HP

You get this applied to:

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #12 "Something bad this way comes." - Page 9 Awards

Six awards. This near year long adventure touched on everything in that list (some more than once). Subplots - the Vanguards' relationship with the UKChampions and SMITE, Role Playing (of course!), Thwarting the plot of Eurotrash (their main plot. Stonelord got away and the baddies on the moon will be addressed in the coming issue), Saving innocent bystanders (including those captives in Stonelords' manor) and Miscellaneous to cover all the other bits and pieces we touched on. You've been to the moon, battled zombies, freed hostages, dealt with Govt operatives, saved London, stopped the bad guys, uncovered a major plot (stonelord) and locked horns with the UKChampions not to mention facilitated the rebirth of the Lore Knights in the modern era. That doesn't even cover everything!

Quite a year! Well done!

Frostbite now has 333HP
Battlebug has 229HP

We'll look at some options for character improvement in my next post. Have to get ready for work!!!

Last edited by Admin on Fri Feb 04 2022, 21:46; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Feb 04 2022, 19:45

Admin wrote:Quite a year! Well done!

Frostbite now has 333HP
Battlebug has 229HP

We'll look at some options for character improvement in my next post. Have to get ready for work!!![/i][/color]

OOC: Wow that was some adventure, I seem to remember that after rescuing BB, things might slow down for a bit...haha famous last words. Anyway, well done you, my friend, it's down to you that there has been so much to face and deal with. Talk about twists and turns.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Feb 04 2022, 22:23

OOC We never got around (or rather, I didn't. Probably got sidetracked.) to sorting out Wandafars' costume for Frostbite to protect from fire/heat. Come to think of it the lil fella was slack when sorting out a costume for Battlebug.

Note that this doesn't make you completely immune to flame. A volcano is around 12 (or more) APs of heat. This suit should protect easily from that. Will it protect against a blast from Atomica or a similar high level powerhouse? No. That would take a lot more points and probably not be worth it.

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #12 "Something bad this way comes." - Page 9 Frostbite-costume

What this gobbledigook means...

1) The suit has 9 Body and is hardened. That means someone could specifically target the suit but would need to do 9 damage before it no longer protects Frostbite (as opposed to 1 damage to put a hole in it and turn his powers off with a lit match).

2) The reliability number is zero. That means it just works. Doesn't run out of power, doesn't conk out, needs to check to see if it works. It just does.

3) Force field protects the user from fire and heat. No one else. NORMALLY it would add to Frostbites' body to give a total of 21 resistance but he has a loss vulnerability to fire and heat. Anything hot enough to trigger that in range drops his body (and everything else!) to 2APs which is the reason loss vulnerabilities are tricky to work round but give so many points to spend stuff on. For example Superman is invincible apart from Kryptonite showing up. So in this case I will rule that Force Field 10 defends against fire and heat and anything that gets through that is absorbed by energy absorption (up to 9 points). Anything that gets past THAT then triggers Frostbites' loss vulnerability and his powers go kaput. You can spend more on Force Field, Energy Absorption or the suit in general or see how you get on with it.

4) Chameleon makes the suit look like normal clothes or a costume at will. Insta Change means he can switch into it without taking an action.It just appears (unstable molecule cloth etc).

Cost is 109HP

You could try to go on without it but think on this. Atomica only has to ignite her flame being power (covering her body in flames) and Frostbite loses his powers, his stats drop to an ordinary human and his skills go kaput. He effectively 'turns off'. Bad guys would exploit this if they knew about it and Eurotrash would be all over it like a rash...

I'll be cooking up a similar suit for the 'Bug. More tomorrow (sack time now...)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Feb 05 2022, 10:03

Admin wrote:You could try to go on without it but think on this. Atomica only has to ignite her flame being power (covering her body in flames) and Frostbite loses his powers, his stats drop to an ordinary human and his skills go kaput. He effectively 'turns off'. Bad guys would exploit this if they knew about it and Eurotrash would be all over it like a rash...I'll be cooking up a similar suit for the 'Bug. More tomorrow (sack time now...)[/i][/color]

OOC: I love it if it can effectively be that it blends with my existing hardened ice body, and at some point rather than being an addition to me, like Frostbot becomes part of me. I am thinking for instance of how Captain Britain had the suit which was said to give him his powers, but then it was really the suit that brought his powers out (I think) and then the suit was just fancy threads etc. I like the idea that there is something about Frostbite that somehow doesn't just have his AI partner with him, but somehow becomes more biomechanical but retains his humanity. I think I like the idea that there is still the possibility of the 'costume' being significantly overwhelmed, but you are right, not being near anyone with heat like powers immediately can be exploited, I mean, being in a romantic mood near a fireplace or flombaye with Catherine would dampen him considerably Very Happy.

Thanks for the hard work Paul, as ever.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Feb 05 2022, 11:08

OOC Getting ready for work now but ...

Incorporating the 'work around' to his weakness into the character (so it can't be taken away or destroyed) is kind of... not cheating but gaming the system so to speak. The way to do it properly would be to pay back the points gained from the weakness and that would cost a LOT. About 1025HP. He also starts to die within the presence of a naked flame so try to avoid those candlelit dinners!

In other words he's kinda stuck with the fire vulnerability, like Martian Manhunter (though various retcons and reboots probably mean he basks in flames and is strengthened by them these days, who knows...)

Doesn't have to be a suit. A ring, belt buckle whatever.

More later. I'll try to cook up some inbuilt solutions. Maybe the ability to teleport away from fire or contain fire with a low APs (it would be 2APs) of power in some way. The easiest, cheapest, 'cleanest' way without gaming the system is a gadget.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next