The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #12 "Something bad this way comes."

3 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #12 "Something bad this way comes." - Page 7 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #12 "Something bad this way comes."

Post  Admin Fri Oct 22 2021, 20:42

With the ice forming and ready to attack from all angles, Frostbite consulted Frostbot.

[The Vanguard Flyer is one of Wandafar's pet projects. The ones he finishes before moving onto the next one are few and far between. It is entirely possible that the flyer is space worthy but to what degree is unknown. The vehicle is in the 'prototype' stage and he has been spending his time making a new body for Timmy Jones. Given the urgency of Battlebugs' dilemma it may be worth asking Wandafar.]

Ring ring. Frostbite's phone was on silent. Shame, he could hear Moon Boy rambling on...

"...oh nooo. They wouldn't listen would they? Well they will now! Heee Heee! You see, no one can stop me, not really. My power is such that anyone who isn't invited into my near field is instantly transported away, like your little friend! If it's any consolation what's left of him will be preserved for eternity up there..."

[My estimation is that Battlebug can not only survive in outer space, he can reside there for some time. Unfortunately without testing and analysis there...]

"Hello? Who dis? Oh. Frosty. Ja, Catherine said your inner buddy guy person sent a text message. Battlebug on ze moon huh? Hmmm. Zet could be tricky. Still, every scan I made of ze boy suggests ocean depths or moon's surface, ze boy should be ok. What... what's zis?"

[I am interfacing your current view with the telephone so that Wandafar can use it as a video conference call.]

"Oh blinkin flip. Zet guy is a nutter! Hang on.. files.. oh crep. Hmmm. Tell you vot. Frostbite. Punch him. Or try to."
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #12 "Something bad this way comes." - Page 7 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #12 "Something bad this way comes."

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Oct 22 2021, 21:14

Admin wrote:"Oh blinkin flip. Zet guy is a nutter! Hang on.. files.. oh crep. Hmmm. Tell you vot. Frostbite. Punch him. Or try to."

Wandafar was one of the most intelligent beings Frostbite had ever met. But he was also a total nut case. So much brains had to mean some things were left out after all. But it didn't pay to not pay attention even if the thing he said to do seemed like the last thing you should do. But waiting had its limits and Frostbite had about reached his. Moving as swiftly as he could he aimed a punch at the man, and said a silent prayer for the rest.

OOC: OK Wandafar says aim a punch, so I aim a punch. Nothing fancy just a straightforward punch and hope that isn't a cue for my last punch line!!!

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Oct 24 2021, 10:33

"What are you doing you fool?" rasped Moon Boy as Frostbite strode towards him. "Don't you know who I am? What I can do? Heee heee! You soon will!"

He pushed the two petrified house staff aside and let Frostbite swing at him, arms wide and laughing!

Frostbite swung, making contact... with nothing!

All of a sudden he fell face forward into the dust... of the dark side of the moon!

The only light was from his chestplate and he got up, spinning about. he'd been to the moon before of course, though that seemed a liftetime ago as he battled Nazi Zombies. He had the Dark Power then too. He shuddered. In a way it was the Dark power that had somehow allowed him to reach his true potential. Without it he would not have been able to do much of the things he could do now.

He looked about.

His Thermal Vision worked perfectly in the hard vacuum of space and in his inner vision he also saw a 24 hour countdown had started. Frostbot filled in the blank he thought [Estimated time before you need to draw breath again. You may be able to hold your breath longer but you have never measured your limits]*

At the edge of the range of his vision, several hundred yards away he saw a figure moving. The body shape, the movement...

Battlebug!

Taking care to balance himself as he flew through sheer force of will, Frostbite drifted over in moments! Of course it was near impossible to surprise Billy given his 360 degree sonar sense but the youngster gaped when he saw his mentor and friend, face lighting up with joy!

All around were bodies.

Hundreds and hundreds of bodies. They had been preserved in hard vacuum but dried out so most were desiccated. The youngster had been laying them out in neat lines, respectfully, rather than leaving them piled up in a mountain of death on the dark side of the moon.

[Battlebug cannot use his jumping ability on the moon. He would easily escape the gravity of the lunar mass and drift forever in space. He is to be commended for deducing that rather than simply making his way around to the other side of the moon and jumping towards the Earth.] said Frostbite.

They couldn't speak to each other but Frostbite could see the pain on Billy's face. His mask was discarded on the ground and the youngster was visibly shocked at the scene of death and murder he'd been transported to.

[Any time you are ready, you can take Battlebug by the arm and return to the Earth. There is just one problem.]

A pause.

[At your fastest flight capability for a sustained length of time it would take you a day to reach the Earth's atmosphere, or just over. By the measurements that I have taken and from Wandafar's notes, Battlebug cannot sustain himself for that long. Approximately half of the time that you can, in fact.]

OOC *We use the 'Blood of Heroes' game rules for this campaign (albeit massively house ruled) and Sealed Systems lasts for your APs of power + 4 in time. Frostbite has 11APs sealed systems +4 =15 APs of time which is 1 day 9 hours and 20 minutes
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Oct 24 2021, 13:51

Admin wrote:[At your fastest flight capability for a sustained length of time it would take you a day to reach the Earth's atmosphere, or just over. By the measurements that I have taken and from Wandafar's notes, Battlebug cannot sustain himself for that long. Approximately half of the time that you can, in fact.]

OOC *We use the 'Blood of Heroes' game rules for this campaign (albeit massively house ruled) and Sealed Systems lasts for your APs of power + 4 in time. Frostbite has 11APs sealed systems +4 =15 APs of time which is 1 day 9 hours and 20 minutes

OOC: I am going to have to go away and think about this since this wasn't what I expected.  I thought Wandafar had an inkling of something I didn't.  I might have got it wrong and misjudged his intentions, but either I took him too literally and messed up or he had another plan in mind.  Either way, I need to think about how I can get us back.  One thought does occur, and that is the Nazi base, since it still remains here, I wonder if we can use anything there to help us survive and get back to Earth.  Besides which we need to message the UKC to warn them about Stonelord.

On reflection, I think the Nazi base came is the only way I can get out of this mess. At least to get Battle Bug and myself to a more defensible position and seek a way to communicate with the others if not get back on some sort of craft or something.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Oct 25 2021, 19:00

Frostbite took Battlebug by the arm and the pair floated through the silent void across the moon's surface.

[Remember in this reality Joseph Rigdon never became a superhero called Frostbite and never stopped the nazis on the moon.] said Frostbot. [However it is likely there is some crossover. I am overlaying the position of the base on your inner vision.]

An arrow, heading, course and speed/eta overlayed on Frostbite's inner vision.

There was a tap on his chest dome/plate and Frostbite turned to Battlebug, now back in his mask. he made a gesture as if to say 'what?'. he clearly didn't know about the Nazi moon base. If there even was one.

[It should be here.] said Frostbot as Frostbite slowed his low flight over the dunes and canyons of the moon's surface. With the only light from his chest casting a blue glow over the near landscape as he floated down Frostbite landed gently on the surface.

With a clunk.

Looking down he moved some of the dust with his foot and exposed the dome of the Nazi moon base under his feet! In the near 90-100 years (OOC the Vanguard is set slightly in the future from now) since the second world war the base had been submerged by something. Craters nearby suggested a meteor shower and as the pair slid/hopped down the side of the 'hill' they could see inside the dome. Buildings, a launch pad, equipment scattered about.

[The dome has been breached and there is no atmosphere inside. However the systems used to pressurise it may still operate if you can seal the dome and it can be made habitable again if that is the case] said Frostbot.

The pair continued to move around, Battlebug being dissuaded from punching his way in as the pair came around to what looked like a large service door/airlock. It was partially open and Frostbite lifted it up without having to use too much of his vast super strength. Inside the inner door was still locked and that might present another problem.

Battlebug tapped him on the shoulder, tapped himself on the chest and stepped up to the control panel. Amazingly enough the base still had some low level of power operating in it!

[The devices in this base are primitive and possibly 'too dumb' for me to interface with, or at least of a construction that I cannot interact with.] said Frostbot. It seemed things were different in this timeline Frostbite called home now.

OOC Dex 16 + Thief 3D + Roll(5d12)+0: 3,2,7,6,1,+0 Total:13 (29) vs
OV7 + Roll(2d12)+0: 9,5,+0 Total:14 (21) Success + 4 (to 20 EV) vs Rv7=Success

With a near silent scraping sound the roller shutter door shuddered and rumbled up!

Battlebug spun and gave a mock bow as they waited for the shutter to rumble up. Behind him Frostbite saw... several pairs of legs! Stood waiting on the other side of the door!

Battlebug sensed it too with his sonar and spun in a fighting crouch!

In front of them stood fifteen... twenty... more... Nazi Zombies! And they shambled forward!

OOC You two win initiative... If you wanted to do something other than that I'll redo the post!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Oct 26 2021, 12:54

Admin wrote:In front of them stood fifteen... twenty... more... Nazi Zombies! And they shambled forward!

OOC You two win initiative... If you wanted to do something other than that I'll redo the post!

OOC: DO you know I couldn't remember that this wasn't my timeline as such. Ugh, it's got quite complex over the years, hasn't it?

Frostbite didn't need to be told twice, he fired at the first three he could see aiming to take them down as quickly as possible. And seeking to give Battle Bug room to move. He could see that though the base was here, the opportunity to use its resources was going to come with some problems.

OOC: OK go for multi-person attack and put all my points into accuracy. Once we clear this section, I think we need to go for what I remember as the main base. You know I think it was this adventure in its original incarnation that had Frostbot leave me and inhabit a robot and become Frostbot for the first time!

SJ
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Oct 30 2021, 12:28

FROSTBITE and BATTLEBUG

The Zombies shambled towards the heroes... and one of them tripped as a leg fell off!

Battlebug stepped up to one and didn't even punch it. He simply pushed, and the lack of gravity did the rest as it tumbled backwards and broke into desiccated shards against the walls!

Frostbot blared a warning not to use his energy beam and simply use physical means to defeat the things. Sure enough with every swing ancient bones, dried out, hollow and on the verge of collapse with stringy dehydrated muscles and paper thin skin burst open like dried out spores and fell like dust to the floor!

Even letting the things bite him revealed their teeth were no match for superhuman endurance that could ignore a tank round!

In moments the place was full of falling dust and smashed up nazi zombies. Seemed they had something of a 'sell by' date especially on the moon.

Using his thermal vision to detect a slight difference in temperature variation from the machines still running in here, the pair moved down the corridors into the base. Doors opened with a 'needs an oiling' grind and Frostbot overlayed a basic map for the pair to follow. The air re circulation machines had long since ceased but would be useless if the breach in the dome wasn't sealed.

An hour later, five roaming zombie bands dispatched and a tap on the shoulder from Battlebug revealed a breach in the dome. It was a big one too, about the size of a car and the meteorite that had caused it had smashed a fair sized chunk of a habitation block in this vast, sprawling place. It had been built for the Nazis using future technology in his own time line. That technology came from the time of Lionheart, around the 22nd Century. Lionheart. Sure, he was of a power level much higher than the Vanguard but with the youngster stood beside him and his own vastly improved abilities, Frostbite felt able to go toe to toe with almost anyone.

As Battlebug moved and held twisted metal framework and I beams out of the way Frostbite created a super hard dome 'patch' made of ice and the pair stood back to admire it. Sure, you couldn't see through it but on the dark side of the moon it was always dark without much to see anyway. It should hold for a while. Theoretically forever in fact, unless the heat in this section got to melting it.

Back in the air recirc rooms Frostbite (with Frostbot's help) set to repairing and rerouting some of the power to the air pump system. Battlebug had hooked up pipes to the backup oxygen and with a metallic grinding sound something came to life in the ancient structure...

And air started to hiss...

"Eeewwww! Stinks! But at least it's breathable. Good job neither of us feels the cold." said the youngster, his breath forming vapour in the thickening air mix.

Frostbite breathed out, then in. They were safe for the time being. This base was meant for thousands to use as a launching site for a space sourced invasion against any place on Earth. The two of them - hundreds of roaming zombies wouldn't use air - using the air would mean that the supplies still in the base would last... well, decades if need be.

"Hey boss." said Battlebug. "So, if we clear this place out, and repair it... I'm just thinking... it'd be REALLY cool if we had, like, y'know. A moon base. For the Vanguard."

".....skrrrzzzz repeat, this is the Vanguard flyer. Calling Frostbite or Battlebug. Come in."

Catherine's voice in their ears.

The Vanguard Flyer must be nearby somewhere!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Oct 31 2021, 08:35

Admin wrote:FROSTBITE and BATTLEBUG

"Hey boss." said Battlebug. "So, if we clear this place out, and repair it... I'm just thinking... it'd be REALLY cool if we had, like, y'know. A moon base. For the Vanguard."

".....skrrrzzzz repeat, this is the Vanguard flyer. Calling Frostbite or Battlebug. Come in."

Catherine's voice in their ears.

The Vanguard Flyer must be nearby somewhere!

Frostbite turned smiling at Billy, "Hold that thought, the idea of a base, up here might be worth a look."

Turning his attention to the incoming Flyer, Frostbite was able to say. "Wow my eyes are already relieved in anticipation of the sight of you. We have been through one heck of a ride..." Turning to Frostbot for confirmation of the landing pad and procedure for the others to disembark Frostbite then relayed on this to Catherine. Adding a warning to be careful not to breathe the air, unfiltered.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Oct 31 2021, 09:53

Catherine responded "It's so good to hear your voice!" then she made a more professional response. "When Wandafar came up with his nutty plan to teleport you to the moon as well as B Bug I argued at first but jumped in the flyer."

"He was still bolting things on when we were prepping for flight. Boosters, range tanks and the like. Good job we have some super strong types about! After we got to the moon it was a case of tracking your transponders down and, well, we were as surprised as anyone to find a Moon Base up here. There'd been rumours of course but that was forgotten about with what goes on every day on Earth. I... oh thanks Frostbot. Keying in landing pattern."

"TEAM! Masks and suits unless you are self sealed!" she called out to the rest of the team.

Self Sealed - like Frostbite and Battlebug - meant they could survive in the harshest of natural environments for a length of time. Luckily for the Vanguard Frostbite and his protege were well covered in that department!

"Watch out for Zombies!" called Battlebug over the comms. There was silence for a moment then she replied "Right. Given all that we see on a daily basis I shouldn't be surprised."

"They aren't much of a threat to super dense skin." continued the teenager "but if they pierce a suit in this environment... That's a different matter. They are mostly rotted out so easy to deal with but there's a LOT of em still kicking around."

=========

"Ready?" asked Battlebug as he stood by a lever.

Frostbite, with Frostbot's help, stood looking over an archaic control panel. Archaic as in age, but the technology was part futuristic beyond the knobs and dials and levers. According to his inner friend Frostbite turned to give the thumbs up. Battlebug dropped the lever and the outer bay door clunked, clanked and rumbled open.

The Flyer came into view, lights illuminating the absolute pitch darkness of the moon's dark side and it fizzed/thrusted and hovered gently to the ground under Catherine's well practised hand.

With a CLUNK! and a rumble the bay door groaned closed and a hissing sounded as stale, but mostly breathable air pressurised the bay which was big enough for half a dozen Vanguard Flyers!

The readouts showed leaks on the docking bay. More things to fix to add to the growing list. Inner temperature was also a problem. It was well below freezing in a lot of sections and though not a problem for Frostbite or his young friend it would quickly debilitate and kill someone less resistant.

The team started to file out of the Flyer. Frostbite watched them disembark from a window overlooking the bay but his notice was drawn to a flashing red light on the panel.

Neither he, Frostbot nor Battlebug knew what it could be. The bay door was closed. Some alarm of some kind? They'd cancelled so many by now it could be anything. More for Wandafar's 'to do' list.

Or maybe it was something else.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Nov 01 2021, 12:47

Admin wrote:The team started to file out of the Flyer. Frostbite watched them disembark from a window overlooking the bay but his notice was drawn to a flashing red light on the panel.

Neither he, Frostbot nor Battlebug knew what it could be. The bay door was closed. Some alarm of some kind? They'd cancelled so many by now it could be anything. More for Wandafar's 'to do' list.

Or maybe it was something else.

Call everyone to him, Frostbite indicated with a nod the flashing panel before adding. "It may be nothing, but this is a Nazi base full of desiccated zombies, I don't want to take any chances that there are other far worse horrors waiting here. I'd like to secure the base and then get back to Earth Pronto!"

With that Frostbite directed two of the team to stay with Catherine and keep the Flyer warm in case they needed to evacuate. The rest would form a search party to see what might be the cause of the warning. He didn't need the distraction, but since they'd found the site, it seemed expedient to rectify this before leaving in case there was something lurking here that later could prove a problem, or render the base unusable. But Frostbite chaffed a little, being teleported here meant the earth especially his adopted home in the UK was more unguarded than ever and the UKChampions secrets could be spilt over the internet in no time.

'I hope this isn't another rabbit hole...' he confided to Frostbot as he lead the team to where the likely source of the warning might originate from.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 01 2021, 13:16

The Vanguard disembarked from the juryrigged Flyer...

Surge, Reflex, Je'Nadenn (Barracuda) and Catherine came over to the airlock, all suited in bulky space suits.

Melody had taken a few days off after her trials in the mystical land and Timmy Jones was still awaiting the construction of a new Android body by Wandafar.

Five, six if you counted Catherine who, whilst powerful as the previous Captain Ion was as trained and skilled as anyone, plus she was armed with some handguns Wandafar had 'cooked up'. Wandafar had been busy it seemed. The Vanguard Flyer had been smashed up the last time he'd seen it. The one in the bay was different - for starters it needed a lick of paint and looked like a patchwork quilt of panels welded together. It also had huge pods and add ons. It wasn't stealthy, or maneuverable but the fact it was flying at all suggested Wandafar had worked miracles.

"Good to see you Frosty." said Catherine, keeping it professional from within her space helmet. "Love what you've done with the place." she said as she saw the drab grey rooms and the gathering of moon dust - and probably human remains - over everything. "I called Melody. She's heading back to hold the fort, sends her apologies but the last ride was pretty rough and she needed a few days to sort things out. Glad to see the 'bug has mostly stayed out of trouble!"

Battlebug peeled his mask off and grinned "You know me! Wherever there's any bother I like to be in the thick of it!"

Surge (Kevin) stepped up, nearly a foot taller than Battlebug. "Hey kid. Boss. So what's the deal? How long's this place been here? Anything to punch? Anything we shouldn't?"

Reflex looked about. "I'm hoping there's something for me to suck some life from. It's been a while since I was able to pitch in!"

Frostbite indicated with a nod the flashing panel before adding. "It may be nothing, but this is a Nazi base full of desiccated zombies, I don't want to take any chances that there are other far worse horrors waiting here. I'd like to secure the base and then get back to Earth Pronto!"

Catherine raised an eyebrow but shrugged. Barracuda walked in, turning the handle for the airlock and looking about. She looked uncomfortable, as well she might. Away from water she weakened and after a while would be too weak to stand! She'd insisted on coming along though.

OOC You have Surge (Kevin - growth, super strength to a limited degree when small), Reflex (Steph - a life force sucking vampire who can boost her abilities temporarily), Barracuda (Jen - super strength and durability, but somewhat of a fish out of water), Catherine (skilled, able, but still human. uses laser guns cooked up by Wandafar) and Battlebug (Billy - superhuman reflexes and strength, agility and durability. Able to temporarily boost his abilities beyond all measure, possibly one of the most physically capable/powerful superheroes on the planet. When things go right he is unstoppable.) Who's going where?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Nov 02 2021, 21:27

Admin wrote:OOC You have Surge (Kevin - growth, super strength to a limited degree when small), Reflex (Steph - a life force sucking vampire who can boost her abilities temporarily), Barracuda (Jen - super strength and durability, but somewhat of a fish out of water), Catherine (skilled, able, but still human. uses laser guns cooked up by Wandafar) and Battlebug (Billy - superhuman reflexes and strength, agility and durability. Able to temporarily boost his abilities beyond all measure, possibly one of the most physically capable/powerful superheroes on the planet. When things go right he is unstoppable.) Who's going where?

"Catherine you and Barracuda stay prepared to go, whilst the rest of us take a look at this. I'd like to say, it's probably nothing but in a base built by Nazis full of Zombies I don't think we can be that lucky. OK, let's move it, people, Reflex you stay with BB and Surge you're with me. We stay together and watch each other's backs.
And Battle Bug, anything you break will only have to be fixed by Wandafar later, and you get to explain why. Capiche?"

With a wide grin a light moment in an otherwise grim endeavour, Frostbite lead the team out following the overlay that Frostbot helpfully provided to the likely source of the warning.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 03 2021, 13:23

Je'nedann/Barracuda was relieved at being left. It made sense but at some point Wandafar might need to address her crippling weakness out of water.

Catherine shrugged. "I'll have to fix the flier up anyway. Wandy set robots on the job to patch this up. It's our old prototype after we trashed the main version so isn't kitted out with much. Barely airworthy but she got us here." Eyes turned to the Flyer in the dock as a rivet PINGED! loose and a sheet of skin metal on the wing sprung outwards. "She'll get us back. Jen. How are you at welding?"

Steph?Reflex came alongside Frostbite. "Boss? This is going to sound like a bad question but I might have to drain some of your and Billy's life force to power me up. I can't drain the non living which leaves me strong but not super."

"You aren't draining me!" said Kevin/Surge.

The group moved from the dock area into a corridor and walked down. The emergency lights mixed with Frostbite's blue glow lit the way and Battlebug had senses far beyond comprehension.

"You can drain me I guess." said Billy/Battlebug. "Just do it now so I have time to recover. If you do it in a fight I might be too weak to fight back."

As the group rounded a corner they came to stairs leading to the depths of the facility which extended below the surface of the moon.

[The alarm indicated two possible problems. One on this level and one two levels down. I cannot translate German without the internet so understand only basic phrases and words.] said Frostbot.

Kevin glanced at the ceiling and walls. "I can't grow much in here, if at all. Whilst the walls are made of metal..." he pressed a finger at one and it bent inwards "they aren't the best metal and I could easily shred this place up."

"Hey boss." said Battlebug. "Check it."

Frostbite moved to the top of the stairs where Billy was and glanced down. There was a seething mass two flights down and his chestplate cast a blue glow on dozens of zombie nazis...

"Ewww." muttered Steph. "Do we go that way or stay on this level?"

"We can split up." said Kevin. "you n me eh boss?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Nov 03 2021, 20:07

Admin wrote:Frostbite moved to the top of the stairs where Billy was and glanced down. There was a seething mass two flights down and his chestplate cast a blue glow on dozens of zombie nazis...

"Ewww." muttered Steph. "Do we go that way or stay on this level?"

"We can split up." said Kevin. "you n me eh boss?"

Frostbite knew that they'd be more efficient if they split up, but that would leave both Reflex reliant on Battle Bug for a pick up which would at that point leave them both potentially more vulnerable. Given both his and Surge's youthful zeal, both were prone, in the heat of the moment, to react rather than respond. Reluctantly, since he was keen to return to Earth, Frostbite made the decision to remain together. For now, Battle Bug, Surge and He could easily disperse the zombies. He wasn't worried about that, and it made no sense for Reflect to drain BB until it was needed.

So they pressed on...

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 08 2021, 18:56

CRUNCH! SMASH! SHATTER! THWACK!

"Too easy boss!" laughed Surge as he grabbed two Zombies together and powdered their heads by driving them against each other! Even Steph/Reflex found it easy despite not being 'powered up'.

The Zombies were ordinary humans infected by a virus of sorts that made them die and rise as mindless flesh eaters, but their time on the moon had dried them out to the point where what strength and threat they could muster was diverted into simply moving! Teeth fell out on contact with flesh and muscle. Fingers snapped off with the flex of an arm or twist of a shoulder and the Vanguard barely broke out into a sweat as they turned a seething mass of dozens into a pile of bones and dust in minutes!

At one point such a mass might have presented a threat if unleashed on the Earth. Now though they were ancient relics and of little danger save to the space suits the newly arrived Vanguardians wore. To Battlebug and Frostbite the Zombies offered no threat or challenge and they stood back to let their weaker team mates cut loose.

"No challenge at all." laughed Reflex. "Still, best to be cautious. There may be other nasties in this place."

The lights flickered into life and despite several bulbs being out, suggested that Catherine had found a way to get the generator at least partially working.

Her voice crackled over the tannoy. "This place has a crude closed circuit tv system. I can see you! Hmmm. When it works all the time. It just went off again. If you need to speak to me, find a phone on the wall. It was very advanced for its time. Maybe too advanced."

Battlebug moved over to pop a hatch and revealed a phone attached via a cord. "Yo! There must be a few of these scattered about the place." he said in the thin oxygen that was being piped through steadily. Thin to allow them to speak but not so any leak would be catastrophic to the air supplies in this place. Right now Catherine or Je'Nedann would be scouring the cameras and even hovering over the domes to spot air leaks and making arrangements to patch them up.

Frostbite considered the possibilities. From the moon and with Wandafar's help the Vanguard could reach most of Europe in a short time, even across the pond to America and beyond. Whilst the Vanguard had always been based in Britain the UKChampions had it -mostly - covered except for when their own team mates weren't ambushing them!

Argggh! He needed to get back and convince the UKChampions that Stonelord was working with Eurotrash!

Just then there was a CLANK from somewhere down the long dark corridor and a hisssssssss!

Reflex and Surge turned, Battlebug spun.

They weren't alone in here.

More zombies or... something else? Just then the lights flickered and went out, plunging them into darkness aside from Frostbite's chestplate blue glow!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Nov 08 2021, 20:28

Admin wrote:They weren't alone in here.

More zombies or... something else? Just then the lights flickered and went out, plunging them into darkness aside from Frostbite's chestplate blue glow!

"Maybe nothing, team but let's assume nothing in a base full of Nazi Zombies. Billy, ring through to Catherine ask her if she sees anything on the camera. Let's stay focused and frosty, no need to shoot if it's friendly, but no need to be caught short if it's not!"

Frostbite raised a hand, in weary readiness, as he lead the way moving forward.

OOC: OK so walking towards the sound of the noise, if this was a horror movie this is where we get the music creeps us out and then get lulled into safety before we do get jumped from an unexpected quarter when you think it's safe. Anyway, let's move forward, whatever it is, isn't bothered by us else it wouldn't make so much noise, clearly so it's interesting to me to see what it is.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 12 2021, 07:03

Battlebug moved back and put a finger to his ear. "Hmmm. Probably lead in the pipes of this place. Or something. Don't start the party without me!" he said as he bounded down the corridor, still in sight - barely given the flickering lights and sometimes absolute darkness - and pressed a finger to his ear.

The team - Frostbite, Surge and Reflex - could hear him trying to raise Catherine as they moved down the corridor.

There was something. A smell. The air was still so thin it was difficult for any non super to consider breathing it, and of course the temperature so low as to be lethal in a short time. The smell though. Something old. Dead.

"Can't grow in here." said Kevin/Surge. "Not without tearing up the walls. And if I grow into something solid that won't bend, my bones might." he muttered.

"Still need a shot of something boss." said Steph/Reflex. That said she was still borderline superhuman in terms of Strength. No zombie thus far posed a threat.

The corridor turned and Frostbite glanced back. He could still see Battlebug's form as a heat image in the darkness, finger pressed to the ear. He was alright.

Up ahead was an airlock style door, the portal frosted over. It was metal, riveted and solid looking, set in a reinforced frame. It was also open, and the smell was coming from it... His heat vision revealed nothing with a heat signature in the pitch black room beyond.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Nov 12 2021, 15:03

Admin wrote:Up ahead was an airlock style door, the portal frosted over. It was metal, riveted and solid looking, set in a reinforced frame. It was also open, and the smell was coming from it... His heat vision revealed nothing with a heat signature in the pitch-black room beyond.

Frostbite halted the team, then indicating to Battle Bug to rejoin them. He wanted to make sure Steph had the chance to juice up on what they needed before they attempted to find out what was in that deep dark hole that needed such a big bulkhead to keep it in.

With Battle Bug and Frostbite taking the front, Reflex and Surge taking the rear, Frostbite let his chest plate grow brighter to illuminate the way.

OOC: Now I've got pictures of a type of Solomon Grundy only in undead for about to leap out at us. Anyway with Steph hopefully juiced up, we're recovered and then we go in Kevin will have to hold back unless this space gives him space to grow. I make his mission to get lights on if there are any to speak of and watch the door. The rest of us plunge in and see what there is to see.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Nov 16 2021, 09:21

A minute or so ago...

Steph frowned. "I can't easily effect you Boss. I'll only drain a little. If I can." she said with a hand on Frostbite's shoulder.

OOC Vampirisim 11 + Roll(2d12)+0: 8,5,+0 Total:13 (24) vs
OV0 (not avoiding) + Roll(2d12)+0: 12,4,+0 Total:16 (16) +4 (to 15) vs Rv11=4 RAPs

Frostbite is on Body 7/11 but recovers FULLY in 30 seconds so on Body 11
Reflex has drained 4APs
Stats are:

Dex: 6 Str: 6 Body: 6
Int: 6 Will: 5 Mind: 6
Infl: 6 Aura: 5 Spirit: 6
Despite some discomfort Frostbite knew he'd recover in a short time. "Me next." said Billy.

OOC Vampirism 11 + Roll(2d12)+0: 4,2,+0 Total:6 FAILED! Vampirism BURNED OUT for one hour! Didn't see that coming, but I *love* burnouts lol!

"Hmmph." said Steph, with a frown. "Does that sometimes. It will come back, but not for a while. I'll have to make do with this."

Now...

Surge/Kevin muttered "What do you suppose that..."

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #12 "Something bad this way comes." - Page 7 Alien

The corridor started to glow fifty feet away where the door had hissed open.

'Don't be afraid.' said a voice in their heads.

'You can become one. With us. Like the others. Then when the time is right, there will be an awakening.'

"b... boss?" chattered Battlebug. "What's...what's happening?"

OOC AURA OF FEAR attack on everyone.

AoF 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 5,4,+0 Total:9 (19) vs

Frostbite OV9 + Roll(2d12)+0: 10,9,+0 Total:19 (28) Unaffected
Battlebug OV7 + Roll(2d12)+0: 10,12,+0 Total:22 (29) Unaffected
Surge OV7 (didn't realise Kevin was that smart, I'll play accordingly!) + Roll(2d12)+0: 5,5,+0 Total:10 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0:
12,4,+0 Total:26 (33) Unaffected
Reflex OV6 + Roll(2d12)+0: 5,11,+0 Total:16 (22) Unaffected

The Vanguard stood, despite an overwhelming wave of fear washing over them!

[The Nazi soldiers int he 1940s will have stood in fear and let this... creature... have its way with them] said Frostbot. [Your Vanguard are made of sterner stuff though.]

The creature paused. "So be it." it said. Then it started to float down the corridor towards the heroes!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Nov 16 2021, 13:11

Admin wrote:The Vanguard stood, despite an overwhelming wave of fear washing over them!

[The Nazi soldiers int he 1940s will have stood in fear and let this... creature... have its way with them] said Frostbot. [Your Vanguard are made of sterner stuff though.]

The creature paused. "So be it." it said. Then it started to float down the corridor towards the heroes!

Frostbite didn't let on, but he wondered if he was dealing with something that was either mystical or mind-based, either way, something that potentially threatened the group as they had neither on hand. That being said, there had to be a way to contain it or else it wouldn't be interacting with them. Conventional means had clearly not made much of a difference before, but hopefully, the Vanguard were not so conventional.

"OK we know it's got power to influence through fear, best not let it touch you, especially you Reflex, not till we know what we know. Don't want you being taken over by it or something. So let me try some range first!"

And with that Frostbite fired a blast from his deadly ice arsenal to see if his powers could make a difference against this alien and bizarre creature.

OOC: OK go for Devastating attack, anything that attacks with fear first is clearly not nice. And Frostbot has clued me into the fact this thing has its own agenda which it's imposing without asking. So not going to play nice. So give it my best shot, right outta the gate.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 18 2021, 11:45

GM WARNING: BEWARE!!!! This creature is one of the nastiest I have ever statted up for the game. Not just in terms of high stats but the type of stats (mental, mystical) arrayed against you, which are not your traditional character strong suits. It's an area in which the Vanguard is sorely lacking (mental, mystical) and it will bite you on the backside if you go at this thing as you might your standard Eurotrash idiot!!! That's a heads up/friendly warning!

FROSTBITE and The VANGUARD

"Sic em boss!" said Battlebug. "It won't even know what hit em!"

"A bit like these nazi soldiers I suspect!" said Surge, glancing at the ruined remains of uniforms and bones that sporadically littered the place.

Frostbite took aim...

OOC power Reserve into Energy Blast boosting from 16 (very powerful) to 26 (cut through a mountain!)

Energy Blast 26 + Accuracy 4D + Roll(6d12)+0: 2,7,12,10,3,2,+0 Total:22 (a decent roll but no double) (48) vs
OV UNDISCLOSED + range 2 + Dev Attack 8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 12,9,+0 Total:21 (31+ undisclosed) Missed!

The creature seems to part as the blast punches through the mist/cloud that forms its body and through the wall behind - and behind that!

[You may want to reduce the force of your blast if you intend to use this facility as a base] instructed Frostbot, helpfully.

"Wha...? Don't see you miss often boss. Mind if I have a crack?" asks Battlebug, already bounding towards the thing!

"I have a bad feeling about this, boss!" said Reflex.

Battlebug calls out "Yo! Let's see how you stand up to THIS!"

OOC GO FOR BROKE +12/-18 Adrenaline Surge 24 + Accuracy 4D + Roll(6d12)+0: 7,5,12,1,6,12,+0 Total:24 (BOOM, double) plus Roll(2d12)+0: 12,11,+0 Total:47 (71) vs
OV8 + Multi 4 + GFB 12 + Roll(2d12)+0: 3,10,+0 Total:13 (37) Success +8 (to 32EV) vs RV8 + multi 4 - GFB18 (RV-6)=38 RAPs.
Dex is boosted to 46, Str to 42, Power Reserve to 46.
Dex further boosted to 47, Str to 43, power reserve split (22 apiece) to boost Kinetic (up to 26) and Energy (up to 27) absorption. In this state (for this round only) it's unlikely a thermonuclear explosion would cause any damage to Battlebug.

CRIT BLOW Dex 47 + 2D m arts (2D Acro) + Roll(4d12)+0: 5,7,11,3,+0 Total:18 (65) vs
OV UNDISCLOSED + Crit Blow 4 + Roll(2d12)+0: 9,8,+0 Total:17 (21 + Undisclosed) HIT but...

Battlebug is faster than the eye can follow and he swings thousands of times in the blink of an eye... He definitely connects but...

"Boss?" muttered the youngster as he stands amidst the centre of the cloud around him. "What gives? I'm swinging at this thing and I can't touch it!"

"GET OUT OF THERE!" screams Reflex as she starts to back away.

"Kid! We have to go!" shouts Surge. "Boss! If you or the kid can't touch this thing, we're screwed!"

[ALARM! Theory: ADJUTANT returned from a mission in deep space and was badly injured.* His words (before he slipped into a coma) were 'They are coming'. Hypothesis: Were these creatures or something like them the beings Adjutant referred to as 'they'. ADVISE: Caution.] said Frostbot as an overlay of numbers and information scrolled down the inner vision of Frostbite. Battlebug generally registered as 'error'. Even as powerful as Frostbite was, the levels Battlebug could access were off any scale or chart/measure that even Frostbot could come up with.

So was this foe.

OOC Frostbite wins initiative. The creature is marginally faster but is swirling around Billy and appears to be examining him...

Not another Kobyashi maru? Well, no. But knowing the right sequence of events and powers/objects to use might make it seem so. This is an adventure that requires more brains than brawn...

*ADJUTANT was formerly the most powerful member of the UKChampions and probably the UKs preeminent superhero. That title probably falls to several people now, including Frostbite and Battlebug. You are all of the same 'class' as it were of 'off the chart' superheroes. I will try to dig out the specific previous issue where it was mentioned that Adjutant is out of action (and remains so) following a mission of mercy in deep space but it doesn't matter as such. If anything could injure him so badly that he slips into a coma and remains in one, it's bad.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Nov 18 2021, 12:03

Admin wrote:Not another Kobyashi maru? Well, no. But knowing the right sequence of events and powers/objects to use might make it seem so. This is an adventure that requires more brains than brawn...

*ADJUTANT was formerly the most powerful member of the UKChampions and probably the UKs preeminent superhero. That title probably falls to several people now, including Frostbite and Battlebug. You are all of the same 'class' as it were of 'off the chart' superheroes. I will try to dig out the specific previous issue where it was mentioned that Adjutant is out of action (and remains so) following a mission of mercy in deep space but it doesn't matter as such. If anything could injure him so badly that he slips into a coma and remains in one, it's bad. [/i][/color]

OOC: I am recovering from Covid and my brain, is sorely lacking now, if not at the best of times. I hate to cut and run, but I am sorely tempted to.

However, I am going to sit on this for 24 hours and maybe come back to it tomorrow. I am not sure what the right combination of powers and abilities would be in this situation and given, your warning at the top of this post I don't want to 'test' it on someone say like Steph who might be killed in the line of duty just to find out. So rather than make a decision I will regret (either just to leave and not figure it out, or just stay and try and tough it out) I will hold this post here, and come back to edit it when my head is a bit clearer- hopefully, tomorrow or on the weekend.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 19 2021, 11:01

OOC Oh crikey Dave, didn't know. Take all the time you need mate, I'll still be here. David M is having a quiet week by the looks of it so I'm updating in the morning before I grind my way through work each afternoon.

With regards the villain you face, this (might) be one that already kicked Adjutant's butt so you might be on a loser if you keep blasting at the thing. Recently you worked with a few magic types and Frosty/Catherine were in the process of recruiting new heroes before they were (inevitably) side tracked and that might be another option. Running away to regroup might be the smartest move but that's your call.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Nov 19 2021, 12:15

Admin wrote:OOC Oh crikey Dave, didn't know. Take all the time you need mate, I'll still be here. David M is having a quiet week by the looks of it so I'm updating in the morning before I grind my way through work each afternoon.

With regards the villain you face, this (might) be one that already kicked Adjutant's butt so you might be on a loser if you keep blasting at the thing. Recently you worked with a few magic types and Frosty/Catherine were in the process of recruiting new heroes before they were (inevitably) side tracked and that might be another option. Running away to regroup might be the smartest move but that's your call.

OOC: Fair point, I guess from the message you'd included and the subtle hints I was thinking there was a way to 'beat' this thing. I didn't like walking away from it without trying. You know me, talk it down, work with it or find out its motivation, what it wants etc is doable in some way or if it's just some alien bloodsucker that won't be reasoned with! I tend to think if you've got something here if you lay out some bread crumbs I need to follow them. As a DM once myself I always had stuff going on and if people followed them inevitably I did work and so I tend to think if you've done work behind the scenes the least I can do is follow it up. It also bugs me to leave things hanging...I don't like that. But then again I've already left a load of other stuff hanging. So I think I've decided to cut and run. We'll regroup at the hanger and leave this place to the creature. If we come back, we'll do so with Psi and Magic, which so far we are far and further away from getting ahold of. It's interesting how often we've had run-ins with magic, and Psi, recently but still come up empty in recruitment.
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Nov 20 2021, 08:25

ooc: Sorry to hear you got COVID, hope it is minor and you get well soon.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next