The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LORE KNIGHTS #2 starring Prof Wynde and Wonder Man!

2 posters

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

LORE KNIGHTS #2 starring Prof Wynde and Wonder Man! - Page 3 Empty Re: LORE KNIGHTS #2 starring Prof Wynde and Wonder Man!

Post  Admin Mon Sep 07 2020, 17:03

"Excuse me." asked Swordsmith. "But shouldn't the Earl... transform or something? You know, when he picked the sword up, like I did? Like... like the others said they did?"

The Earl looked at the sword in his hand. It was of remarkable craftsmanship but otherwise... he was dressed in his torn army clothes and 'normal'.

Thornhill the butler paused from handing out sandwiches and drinks and coughed. "Ahem, sir? May I direct you to...?" he said, offering a hand to lead the way.

The group followed upstairs to the Earls grand study, a room with plenty of windows and wall to wall books. A great oak desk was at the head with leather chairs dotted about, enough for a dozen people to be seated.

"My father never wanted me in here." said the Earl, pausing at a suit of armour. "He never wanted me anywhere in the house really."

Thornhill spoke quietly. "The Earl was trying to protect you sir, as he failed to do with his wife, your mother."

"Yes, well... now he expects me to follow in his footsteps? There's a war on! I'm needed!" said the Earl, banging on the table.

"Yes sir. The land has called, and all of you have answered. More will answer the call. A dozen in all. You will be required to put aside your lives and fight for the country as few can, even the gallant soldiers in our army, navy and air force. The Lore Knights were always required to fight the evil man was not meant to know about."

"Why didn't I know about this before?" asked the Earl. "Why now?"

"Because your father hoped upon hope that you would never have to make the sacrifices he had to, that if you were to stay away then you could forge your own life, make your own choices and live a life of peace. Despite your father the previous Earl's wishes, the Germans had other ideas, much as they did in 1914 when the Ghost Knight rode into battle." said Thornhill.

"You ARE a Lore Knight now sir, and you must lead them." said the Butler.

"How?" asked the Earl.

The Butler turned to look at a painting of the Earl. A noble, proud man with a few scars on his face and a slightly world weary look about him. The picture must have been painted in his early fifties. On top of his fine clothes the Earl wore an Amulet.

"Reach into the picture sir."

"Into...?"

Thornhill waved a hand.

The Earl frowned then stepped forward, reaching up and ... into the picture like a pool. He took hold of the gold chain and amulet and gasped as it came free in his hand. "Well I never... I've seen some weird things today but..."

"Put it on sir." said Thornhill.

He did so then FLASH...

LORE KNIGHTS #2 starring Prof Wynde and Wonder Man! - Page 3 Dunkirk

The Ghost Knight was reborn!

OOC Appearance is open to suggestions to alter...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

LORE KNIGHTS #2 starring Prof Wynde and Wonder Man! - Page 3 Empty Re: LORE KNIGHTS #2 starring Prof Wynde and Wonder Man!

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Sep 07 2020, 18:01

The Ghost Knight was reborn!

OOC Appearance is open to suggestions to alter...

All white full mask looks kinda of wrong to me. Other than that, looks great. Maybe only a half mask with his mouth exposed? Easier to breath and make sure people understand you. Learned that the hard way since we have to wear masks at work whenever we leave our offices, even to go to the bathroom. flower
Maybe a short cape? down to just below his belt? Maybe over one shoulder like Captain Marvel?

"Yeeeeesssssssssss..." Prof. Wynde says slowly. "You are going to be the pride and joy of Britain, Your Lordship. People are going to see you in that outfit and take heart when you appear."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Sep 07 2020, 18:25

LORE KNIGHTS #2 starring Prof Wynde and Wonder Man! - Page 3 Ghost-Knight-Pic-new

"Ah. That's more like it." said the Earl. "I am... GHOST KNIGHT!"

Then he yawned. "I'm also exhausted. I need some shut eye!" he staggered off up the stairs towards a bedroom.

Wonder Man shrugged, made his way to the ample drinks cabinet and poured for those who wanted one - everyone.

Stood away from the others Wonder Man sat on the desk and asked Prof Wynde quietly. "What do you think of the Earl? Will he be alright leading this lot? Where does that leave us? What are your plans?" he asked, sipping on a whisky and leaning back to look at it. "The earl had fine taste indeed. I've never tasted better!"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Sep 07 2020, 19:32

Admin wrote:LORE KNIGHTS #2 starring Prof Wynde and Wonder Man! - Page 3 Ghost-Knight-Pic-new

"Ah. That's more like it." said the Earl. "I am... GHOST KNIGHT!"

Then he yawned. "I'm also exhausted. I need some shut eye!" he staggered off up the stairs towards a bedroom.

Wonder Man shrugged, made his way to the ample drinks cabinet and poured for those who wanted one - everyone.

Stood away from the others Wonder Man sat on the desk and asked Prof Wynde quietly. "What do you think of the Earl? Will he be alright leading this lot? Where does that leave us? What are your plans?" he asked, sipping on a whisky and leaning back to look at it. "The earl had fine taste indeed. I've never tasted better!"

"It's never good for two commanding officers to be in the same unit," Prof. Wynde says, pulling on his own experience in the Army. "I'm going to have to leave after we free the folks on that island in Scotland. I'm thinking of changing my name and looks and either sticking around England or heading to America for a bit. Chruchill's a bit mad at me and leaving might be the best option for now. OOP can help me with papers and such. As long as Advent is here in this time period, I can't go back to the 21st Century and my old job."

"How about you? Going to stick with the Lore Knights? Or move on with me?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Sep 07 2020, 20:14

Wonder Man pondered. "What and recover my old life as Fred Carson, sometime inventor, radio engineer, reporter and downtrodden minion of a news organisation?"

"Well gee, I'd have to think. I don't know. Depends on..." he glanced over at Faerie who was talking to Boudicea and Snaga. "Stuff. We aren't at war at home though so it kinda feels like running out on them, y'know? All the action is here. Won't it be kind of... dull in the states? I mean, you know and all but you've seen what the Brits are up against. Heck, without we two this place might be rubble by now and Churchill hanging from a rope. You know what happened in your future but isn't all this changing things now? The fact that you are here and you know what happened in your time doesn't mean that it will happen here. ADVENT seem intent on changing things that way."

"America is a nice prospect but you'll be sitting the war out pal. Sooner or later Roosevelt has to figure that if Germany does win - and it's no longer clear that they won't - then they'll be looking further afield. Stop em now or don't stop em at all. You say the Allies win, finally, but was there an ADVENT in the equation in your past? I'm betting not and I got a bad feeling about this. The Lore Knights, all these people, are here for a reason and I think you should reconsider your options. Heck, what about you n me go solo, partners rather? What about the kid? Robbie hasn't settle din here what with what happened in the fight at the manor."

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Sep 07 2020, 21:43

"Lots of things to think about, sure," Prof Wynde replies, "the only thing I know of for sure is my time is limited with the Lore Knights. Besides, America will be in it before 1941 is out. The Advent know that too. If the Lore Knights can fill their ranks, then they can handle most stuff here. But no one knows of them in the United States so it might be good for a couple of folks to be there to stop anything they do there. And you and I can operate in Europe, Lore Knights can't. We just have to see. Major Oak will make his decision too. None of us knows how to get back to the 21st Century, unless we do the old stone statue routine like you did. Lots of things to think about but like I said, my time is limited with the Lore Knights now that the Earl is here."

"Let's go find out what Swordsmith can do, what say?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Sep 07 2020, 23:36

Wonder Man nodded, finished his drink and walked with Prof Wynde back to the group.

"What's the plan?" asked Boudicea. "Swashbuckler is in bed. When he wakes he'll need a message. I suspect he'll have to report to Churchill but he's already said he wants back in... if you'll have him. If the Earl will have him I mean."

Snaga snarls "back to Scotland? We have unfinished business."

Major Oak adds "I have seeds, acorns, grass seed and the like from the shed. Trees mostly though. Big ones."

Faerie leans back against a chair and speaks up "So fast to rush into danger?"

"Ha!" said Snaga. "Look who's talking!" he laughed. Faerie blushed.

Wonder Man added "Ok, ok, settle down. You're still the boss Prof. Swordsmith, you up for a fight?"

"I'm ready to do my duty" said the heavily armoured bulky fellow.

Wonder Man shrugged. "Fair enough. What's the plan Prof?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Sep 08 2020, 00:02

He shrugs, "Just give us an idea of what you can do. Then you and Major Oak can spar a bit. That will help you both get the experience you need to stay alive in this world. So lets go outside and find a nice clear spot to see what you can do."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Sep 08 2020, 08:50

Swordsmith looked nervous but a glance at Major Oak revealed he thought the same.

The group moved outside and gave the pair some room.

Major Oak asked "So how... uhh... do we ...?"

Wonder Man called out. "When we call break that will be the end of it. You all have different abilities and bring different things to the team so combat is just one of the facets of what we do. Major Oak and Faerie are less combat orientated than Boudicea and Snaga, for example."

"What do you bring?" asked Snaga.

"If you need to know that, maybe you and I should go a couple rounds Snaga." said Wonder Man.

"From the sounds of it you walloped those Nazis in Dunkirk so I'll pass Wonder Man. My axe will cut through anything but if I can't hit the target?" admitted Snaga.

"See Swordsmith? Me and Snaga are closely matched but I'll admit that axe hits harder than I do and he'll admit that I'm faster than he is. With that in mind we know to better match against certain opponents out in the field. We need to know what you can do and from there we can figure out where your role is - front line, support or distance attack. In a way we still need to figure out where Swashbuckler fits in all this. He left the team before we could really get a look at what he does so when he wakes we may have a go round with the new Earl, as he needs to get a taste for what he can do too. It's not about who wins, it's about finding your place."

He turned to Prof Wynde. "Anything to add Boss?"

OOC We'll run a fight between Major Oak and Swordsmith. Pick one to use and let's get it on!

LORE KNIGHTS #2 starring Prof Wynde and Wonder Man! - Page 3 Major-Oak-Aug-2020

LORE KNIGHTS #2 starring Prof Wynde and Wonder Man! - Page 3 Swordsmith-AUG-2020
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Sep 08 2020, 11:46

"Don't try to kill each other, just bash them or render them unable to fight," Prof. Wynde instructs. "We have Faerie to heal you up if you get too much into the fight. Wonderman or I will call the fight if it gets too dangerous. Let's also go for a 3 minute round, if it lasts that long."

ooc: I'll take Major Oak. Got to read the rules a bit more on his powers but I think he has the potential to be one of the strongest team members.
Of course, if their powers burnout in the first round, going to be a short fight. santa
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Sep 08 2020, 12:39

OOC Major Oak has Density Increase with adds to Str and does not detract from Dex. Incredibly potent as it boosts RV too. That brings his Str up to 11, RV to 12 and Growth adds +1AP (APs don't stack, they add the highest, then +1 for any additional stuff so really Growth is a waste, should have gotten another AP of Density Increase but it does the same thing so...) so his Dex 6 Str 12 RV13 is pretty decent.

He can teleport behind a foe for a Blindside attack (-2APs OV) and Projectile Weapons at point blank with a Crit Blow can soften up a target. plant Growth to boost a tree and plant control (as his dice action though so...) to make it grab its target.

Initiative...
Roll(2d12)+0:
Major Oak 1 (21)
Swordsmith 11 (37)

Both can activate automatic defensive powers so I assume Density Increase for both and Growth for MO

Swordsmith in his bulky armour stomps forward, only to see Major Oak grow in every direction as well as up!

"Whoa! You're a big chap! Let's see if I can't chop you down to size eh, what?" chortles the Swordsmith but no one quite gets the joke. "Tree? Cut? No?" he asks, then he takes a swing!

OOC AV9 + 2D M Arts (1D Acro) + Roll(4d12)+0: 11,8,4,10,+0 Total:21 (30) vs
OV6 + 1D Acro (1D M Arts) + Roll(3d12)+0: 12,2,4,+0 Total:16 (22)
+4 (to 15 EV) vs RV13=2 RAPs. Major Oak is on Body 5/7

Walloping the tree size Major Oak in the midriff Swordsmith sounds apologetic when he says "Ah, sorry about that young un! Didn't mean to ... ah... is the fight over yet?"

Faerie muttered "This doesn't feel right, fighting each other" as she hugged herself.

Boudicea glanced at Wonder Man. "What do you think?"

He rolled his eyes and shrugged in response.

OOC Major Oak is up!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Sep 08 2020, 15:46

ooc:  EEEWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!  I just read Plant Growth and saw the rules for having 15 APs of the power.  EEEEWWW!!  NASTY!!  study study 

Major Oak, wanting to try out the suggestions by Prof. Wynde that he work on using plants to fight with instead of straight blasting the enemy, pulls out a few tree seeds and tosses them in Swordsmith's direction.  He then orders them to grow and surround Swordsmith, creating a wall of trees around the man, their branches intertwining preventing him from moving out of the circle without first hacking his way through.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 09 2020, 00:24

OOC Go for broke +4/-6 Plant Growth 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 6,11,+0 Total:17 (27) vs
OV0 (current volume of plants) +GFB 4 + Roll(2d12)+0: 11,6,+0 Total:17 (21)
+3 (to 13) vs RV0 - 6GFB=19RAPs.

Throwing a handful of acorns, seeds and fruits gathered earlier from the garden, Major Oak tossed them in the general area around Swordsmith.

"Oh? What are you? I say chap, that isn't going to MMMMFFFF!" said Swordsmith as he vanished into the volume of an extremely thick and dense forest, the trees shooting so high they towered over the house and the lawn was torn up so much the watching Lore Knights had to dive aside!

"What the deuce?" spluttered a voice inside the armoured helmet from somewhere in the shrubs/bushes/trees/vines/undergrowth/brambles.

OOC Initiative...
LORE KNIGHTS #2 starring Prof Wynde and Wonder Man! - Page 3 Swordsmith-and-major-oak

LORE KNIGHTS #2 starring Prof Wynde and Wonder Man! - Page 3 TRee-table

Difficult to pin a number on how to shred through this kind of thing but to break through is going to take his dice action for the round at least.

Swordsmith fumbles in the pouch at his waste and brings out a bolt 'borrowed' from the garage. "Let's see what this does." he mutters.

OOC Metal Manipulation 14 + Roll(2d12)+0: 6,2,+0 Total:8 (22) vs
OV4 (body of bolt) + Roll(2d12)+0: 4,5,+0 Total:9 (13)
+4 (to 18) vs RV4=14 RAPs. Success.
Swordsmith creates an Axe with Claws 14 (if he were from the 21st Century he'd make a chainsaw)

"I'll soon make short work of this!" came a muffled voice from within the mass of bushes. "I'm just uh, which direction are you?"

Wonder Man laughed "You'll have to do better than that Swordsmith!"

OOC Major Oak is up
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Sep 09 2020, 00:48

"I'll soon make short work of this!" came a muffled voice from within the mass of bushes. "I'm just uh, which direction are you?"

Wonder Man laughed "You'll have to do better than that Swordsmith!"

OOC Major Oak is up

ooc: 10 Aps in Plant Growth probably puts his limit at large tree with 10 AP Body? Maybe? Didn't really plan it out this way but having the two folks who have some kind of manipulation power going up against each other is actually pretty great! sunny

The development of the motorized saw

It was not until the 1920’s that someone invented a proper chainsaw. Three names should be mentioned: Wolf (USA), Westfelt (Sweden) and Stihl (Germany). The latter is the largest and oldest chain saw producer in the world. (founded 1926, annual turnover 2004, 1,6 Mia. Euro). In the beginning the idea was to make heavy forestry work lighter using a machine. This should also lead to an increase in productivity and therefore profit. The main phases in the development of the chainsaw were:

1926 Stihl developed the first electro-chainsaw
1927 Dolmar developed the first petrol chain saw (source: Dolmar)
1950 the first one-man chain saw

Let's try entangling Swordsmith so he can't move so have the limbs of the trees wrap around his body and the grass entangle his legs and smaller branches or vines wrap around his arms so he can't swing that nasty axe.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 09 2020, 09:44

OOC Plant Growth works on volume, no mention on Body or type of tree. Plant Control works with AV10 (PC) plus Str as Body of tree (10) so...

Plant Control 10 + Roll(2d12)+0: 10,2,+0 Total:12 (22) vs
OV9 + (no acro as he's surrounded) - Blindside 2 + Roll(2d12)+0: 10,7,+0 Total:17 (24) attack missed.

Initiative ...

LORE KNIGHTS #2 starring Prof Wynde and Wonder Man! - Page 3 Lore-Knights-next-round

Swordsmith takes a swing with the axe!

Crit Blow Claws 14 + weaponry 4D + Roll(6d12)+0: 6,7,9,1,11,2,+0 Total:21 (35) vs
Body 10 + Crit Blow 4 +Roll(2d12)+0: 7,9,+0 Total:16 (30)
+3 (to 17) vs RV10 - 6CB so RV4=13 RAPs

"RRAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!!!" shouts Swordsmith as he hacks CLEAN through the tree with one swipe! The tree topples and Major Oak dances aside to let it fall. The portly hero then strode out of the brambles and bushes, ignoring them scratching against his metal hide.

"Ha! What do you think of that, eh, what? Hadn't any clue I could conjure up something like this. What have you got to counter that young un?" asks Swordsmith.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Sep 09 2020, 12:02

"Weeelllll ... I have two ideas left," Major Oak says slowly, impressed at how his woods were blow away so easily. "One, I can summon animals to attack you. There are always mice and rats around everywhere. Plus the village dogs and cats. But them getting hurt for a simple tussle seems wrong. And I'm not sure if you don't get some kind of disease if the rats and mice bite you and if Faerie can fix that."

He looks over to her to see if she can fix diseases. Then ...

"So my last idea is ... THIS!"

teleport behind him and blast him with his projectile weapon
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 09 2020, 16:52

"Huh where did you..." started Swordsmith

OOC CRIT BLOW (seems rude not to, plus you won't break armour otherwise) Proj Weapons 12 + Roll(2d12)+0: 9,6,+0 Total:15 (27) vs
OV9 Blindside 2 + Crit Blow 4 + Roll(2d12)+0: 12,2,+0 Total:14 (25)
+2 (to 14) vs RV12 - 6CB=8 RAPs damage. Swordsmith goes DOWN and is OUT!

Immediately Wonder Man leaps in to interpose himself between the combatants and says "Whoa kid, fight's over!" whilst Faerie moves in to start healing Swordsmith and Snaga moves over, picking up the Axe. "Impressive weapon." he says, hefting it and looking at the tree which was a couple of feet thick. "One swing!"

Boudicea came over to pat Major Oak on the shoulder. "You should do that more often, you'll be far more effective a fighter!" Major Oak knelt by Swordsmith, concerned. "Will he be ok? I didn't mean to..."

Swordsmith groaned and saw everyone looking down at him. "Oh my, I expect this means I lost? I'll have to try harder! There's no way I'll fall for that trick again though!" he says as he reaches up a hand and Major Oak helps him up. "Well done, the best man won!" said Swordsmith, sportingly.

Wonder Man moved away and stood with Prof Wynde on his own. "Looks like Robbie might finally be accepting his abilities. That was a useful move he just pulled. Do we wake the Earl and Swashbuckler or are we heading North without them? I have to say Ollie, I'm not sure these guys will manage without you in charge. The Earl seems... arrogant." he said, looking for the word that described the man but wasn't too insulting. The others were moving inside the house and Thornhill had appeared from somewhere to say "I'm sure Mr Graves the gardener won't be too pleased with the way the lawn has turned out" referring to the mini forest in the middle of it, and the felled tree.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Sep 09 2020, 17:57

Wonder Man moved away and stood with Prof Wynde on his own. "Looks like Robbie might finally be accepting his abilities. That was a useful move he just pulled. Do we wake the Earl and Swashbuckler or are we heading North without them? I have to say Ollie, I'm not sure these guys will manage without you in charge. The Earl seems... arrogant." he said, looking for the word that described the man but wasn't too insulting.

"Well, he is an Earl after all, grown to a life of privilege," Prof. Wynde says with a shrug.  "And duties, with some legal authority around here. So you expect him to ... um ... be above us peasants. You being an American probably don't understand that. Guess you would pop him in the jaw if he mouthed off to you too much. Please don't do that to him.  For a noble, he seems to be actually pretty decent.  Don't forget he has been through the wringer as well and is tired, ashamed and overwhelmed with new information.  Give him time to get used to everything and things should change for the better.  For now, we grin and bear it and like any good NCO, we try to steer the green leader to make better decisions."

The others were moving inside the house and Thornhill had appeared from somewhere to say "I'm sure Mr Graves the gardener won't be too pleased with the way the lawn has turned out" referring to the mini forest in the middle of it, and the felled tree.

"On the bright side, think of all the firewood just waiting to be chopped up instead of trudging out to get it," Prof. Wynde tells him brightly.

They head inside to join everyone else.

"We let Swashbuckler and the Earl sleep," he told everyone, "get their mental and emotional energies back.  Probably we will go back tonight and try again.  So you might want to take this time to rest as well.  Swordsmith, one of the reasons I am glad to see you is that we were stopped by a massive reinforced armored door that we couldn't break through fast enough nor pick its electronic lock system before we were almost overwhelmed and had to flee.  Maybe with your metal manipulation you could jimmy the lock or melt the hinges or something?  Something fast.  By fast, I mean 30 seconds or less.  Think you can do it?"

"Oh!  Thornhill, are there any maps of [i forget the name of the island] around here?  I want to mark one up to show the Earl what we are dealing with and the layout.  Or copy off of it with the new information.  If not ...  anyone good at drawing maps?"

ooc:  With his Military Science of 2 and its cartography, he can draw an okay map I guess but seeing if anyone else wants to pop up and volunteer.  First time that gets useful too I think     pig

He will spend time drawing a map and its layout of the base, getting input from everyone else, especially Faerie as she has seen more than he has of the area.  Ah, a leader's work is never done.  While the troops go off and goof around.  Sad
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 09 2020, 18:57

Thornhill raised an eyebrow as Snaga tossed him the axe Swordsmith made him.

"Quite." he said, looking at the trees.

The group made its way into the house and relaxed somewhat, with a change of clothes and some music playing quietly, though the house was so vast it was unlikely either Swashbuckler or the Earl would wake.

Swordsmith transformed, shrinking in height if not girth, back to his civilian identity. "The boy got me pretty good." he says with a wry smile. "Glad he's on our side."

Prof Wynde mentioned the vault door and Swordsmith frowned. "Right, well the limit to my ability I would suggest is how hard the metal is to work. A common bolt from the garage wouldn't withstand pounding with a hammer for long but a vault door? That's high tensile and very thick I would have thought. I can try, but I can't promise anything. Sorry."

"That said... from what I hear if Snaga's Axe is working like it should then it will put my own efforts at an Axe to shame. It should carve through any man made object from the sounds of it. Bet it stings if it hits you too." added Archibald.

Wonder Man peeled off his mask and offered a hand to the Professor of metallurgy and historical weapons (former). "Fred Carson. If we're to be team mates I prefer trust and no secrets. Prof Wynde here is a little more secretive."

"Ah yes, one of the others mentioned you were from the future. What can you tell us? Do I... get my job back when the war is over?" asked Swordsmith.

Thornhill came in and deposited more food and drinks on tables. Snaga/Owain obliged by getting stuck in. "Being a Lore Knight works up an appetite!" he rhymed. Badly.

At Prof Wyndes' question Thornhill nodded. "A map of the Outer Hebrides, more specifically the Isle of Lewis and Harris. Right this way sir." He lead into the drawing room. A few minutes later with a map rolled out across a large table and held down with weights at the corners saw Prof Wynde making notes.

OOC Int 5 + Mil Sci 2D + Roll(4d12)+0: 2,12,9,12,+0 Total:24 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 12,10,+0 Total:46 (51) vs
OV7 + Roll(2d12)+0: 5,8,+0 Total:13 (20)
+8 (to 14 Will) vs RV7=7 RAPs

This equates to a bonus of 7APs on the first round of combat to assign (as you see fit, in part or whole) around the team thanks to prior planning and preparation. It wouldn't normally do that as per the rules but I don't see why a fabulous plan (that roll!) shouldn't give an element of surprise (for the first round only!). You can try again to get a higher result but they don't add. I can't see you rolling higher than 46!

=========

Refreshed, though with a haunted look about him, the Earl comes down at dusk. Washed, shaved, dressed, he cuts a dashing figure and Boudicea/Alexandra approves. As does Katheryn/Faerie, but Wonder Man doesn't see that, chatting as he is to Swordsmith.

Also coming down the stairs is Marcus/Swashbuckler who makes his way over to Prof Wynde. "I just want to say I'm sorry Prof. Charging into a war zone without realising my powers would go took me by surprise and showed what a fool I've been. If you'll have me back, I'll tell Churchill I'll not be his lackey. And be yours instead!" he laughs, fishing about for a cigarette.

He'd refreshed his powers by closing his hand around the sword which had materialised in his space on the table. It had vanished, and Swashbuckler was reborn!

Fred glanced over seeing the newcomers and called out "I'll go get changed!" whereas everyone else simply willed the change... and they were THE LORE KNIGHTS!

The Earl glanced about. "Well don't you all look grand. Going somewhere?"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Sep 09 2020, 19:14

Also coming down the stairs is Marcus/Swashbuckler who makes his way over to Prof Wynde. "I just want to say I'm sorry Prof. Charging into a war zone without realising my powers would go took me by surprise and showed what a fool I've been. If you'll have me back, I'll tell Churchill I'll not be his lackey. And be yours instead!" he laughs, fishing about for a cigarette.

He'd refreshed his powers by closing his hand around the sword which had materialised in his space on the table. It had vanished, and Swashbuckler was reborn!

Fred glanced over seeing the newcomers and called out "I'll go get changed!" whereas everyone else simply willed the change... and they were THE LORE KNIGHTS!

The Earl glanced about. "Well don't you all look grand. Going somewhere?"

ooc:  Wouldn't you know it but the first time I really used that skill it does such a great roll.  Probably roll 1s and 2s next time.   monkey

"Warned you the powers were limited, Swashbuckler," Prof. Wynde replies, "as to coming back?  You got your powers back, you learned your lesson and the Land says you stay.  Otherwise, you wouldn't get them back.  So Welcome but the Earl will be taking over soon as I will be stepping down after this mission."

"Yes, your Lordship [is that the right address for an Earl?  Being American I don't know the proper one] we are planning on saving not just England but the WORLD tonight.  Yours and Swordsmith's baptism of fire, as it were."

"Once Wonderman gets back, I will give you a report on our last mission and how and why it failed.  This map shows where we are going and the obstacles that we know of."

"While we wait for Wonderman, why don't the rest of you tell his Lordship about your powers and limitations?  I'll start.  As I said before, I'm not an actual Lore Knight.  Nor is Wonderman.  I've been time tossed from the 21st Century.  Wonderman is from 1939, timed tossed to the 21st Century and then back to here again.  I'm a mage. As you saw on the continent, I magically control the winds, hence the name Prof. Wynde.  I also can summon a mystic shield that helps protect me from magical attacks and I can also fire off a magical blast of my own as well as slowly negate someone's power.  I am also capable of comprehending pretty much any language I run across including alien ones or ancient dead languages.  All that and I am not really bulletproof, so I like to stand behind those who are ... bulletproof, I mean."

"BOUDICEA?  You go next.  Then Faerie"

ooc: Should have mentioned it sooner, but the interior of the building also was mapped out by Prof. Wynde.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 09 2020, 20:05

Boudicea looks up from the map and says "Hmm? Oh I'm Boudicea, named after the legendary warrior woman. I can enhance my speed to amazing levels, boost my strength, wield a magic spear and summon magic armour to protect me."

Faerie gazed at the Earl for a moment then spoke. "Oh. Hello. Uh, I'm uh, Katheryn. I mean Faerie. I can shrink, fly, heal people, teleport myself and others and blast magical energy though not as potently as Prof Wynde. I can also detect evil and move objects with my mind and speak mind to mind and... read minds. Maybe some other things."

Uh Oh. The dashing Earl had smiled at Katheryn and she'd blushed. Prof Wynde glanced at the stairs where Wonder Man had gone bounding up.

Snaga stepped up "I'm Snaga, named after this legendary weapon, though it was a sword that gave me power and it shaped itself into a copy of the Axe. Strong? None stronger! My axe can cut through anything and I am a warrior without peer! I heal as fast as I am injured and i can run and jump vast distances. My sense of smell is extraordinary."

The Earl smiled. "So modest too!"

Snaga frowned, standing and stepping forward... then he grinned and laughed "Ack! Ye'er joshing with me! I'll have to watch that your Lordship (OOC Think that's the right term)"

Major Oak stepped up "I can turn into a living tree, making other plants grow and controlling them. I am one with the earth, with mighty strength and I can fire torrents of thorns at my foes. I can also teleport though not as far as Faerie."

Swordsmith... "I'm the newest Lore Knight sir. Archibald Horner, but I go by Swordsmith because I can form metal into super sharp weapons as we found out earlier. I can also summon powerful armour that boosts my strength and endurance and my reflexes seem to be quite frankly amazing! All of this is new to me and I will follow the lead of the others. Prof Wynde is spoken of very highly as a leader and the team has - twice now - defeated powerful Nazi operatives I hear."

Wonder Man had come down the stairs and settled his mask in place. "I'm Wonder Man. I gained my powers from a yogi in Tibet though I forget why I happened to be wandering about in mountains so far from my home. This ring I wear is the key to my powers but it's pretty much impossible for anyone but me to remove it."

"I could try!" said Snaga.

"Yeah, but I'd be knocking your teeth out chum!" laughed Wonder Man.

"Hmm point taken!" said Snaga and he raised his glass at Wonder Man.

"I'm strong, fast and pretty much bulletproof but I'm not all powerful. The attack on the mansion showed that when a robot blasted me through a wall. First time I've ever been knocked out since getting my powers. I just dust myself off, take my beating and get back to handing one out. Me n the Prof took on two guys it took the whole team to beat and we gave em a whippin they won't soon forget. That's twice we've had their number and Captain Nazi seemed to think they needed a rethink. Well, just before Prof Wynde zapped him into la la land. Baron Blitzkrieg? Pfft. I could whip that guy in my sleep! heck, even Snaga could!"

The tall warrior started, standing with a frown. "Heyyyy!" he said, then saw the grin on Wonder Man's face. "Ahhh no, not again! I'm glad we're on the same side Wonder Man, you are a true warrior."

"Likewise friend." said Wonder Man as he crossed the room and shook hands firmly with Snaga.

The Earl looks about. "Well all this seems cosy. I have no idea what i can do yet but since I put this amulet on I've been changed. Different, smarter, stronger, faster... I can ... cast spells? Also summon a sword, attack someone's mind... there's all sorts of things, most notably voices in my head - my ancestors I think - who seem to give me advice!"

OOC that's High Int actually.

"So..." he said turning to Prof Wynde. "Do I lead now, or do you?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Sep 09 2020, 20:17

"If your lordship permits, I would like to lead this mission while you learn to use your powers and understand what the team can and cannot do when in action and under pressure. After that, I believe the team should be in your hands. Also, as you see there are swords that are lying here. Others should be coming if they are not killed before coming here so you should be ready to welcome them."

"AH!" He pauses struck by a thought.

"The chairs! The chairs we sat in to find out how to get into the Chamber of Lore! You and ... hmm ... Swordsmith should sit in them. We should do that next! You will be given memories of previous Lore Knights, I think that will be of great help to you."

He looks around.

"I don't remember, did the rest of you ever try sitting in those two chairs? If not, you should as well."

ooc: You know the ones I'm talking about? In one of the rooms we searched to find the hidden lair? I think it was a memory of a Lore Knight during the French Revolution. Not sure if that is the only memory or others would be present as well. Worth a try I think.

"Let's go up and have you experience that."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 09 2020, 21:39

The Earl shrugged and agreed "If it were a battlefield with guns and bombs I'd say my experience counted in my favour? Here? I am a raw recruit and open to suggestions! Lead on."

They gathered in the room where the ghostly encounter took place.

Each took turns to sit in the chair but drew blanks.

Thornhill, quiet in the corner coughed "Ahem sir. The ah, spirits do not come when called... they call YOU. When they are ready to speak, they will make themselves known."

The Earl got up and shrugged. "All in good time. Shall we be off then?" He concentrated and zap! He was dressed as the Ghost Knight with the British spiked mace in hand!

Boudicea nodded "Hmmm not bad."

Faerie sighed.

Wonder Man caught that and held his gaze for a moment then sighed himself before turning to leave and gathering in the front garden followed by the others. "All's fair in love and war." muttered Fred as he watched the Earl laugh with Faerie over something as they walked from the house.

Faerie summoned up her magical energy...

OOC Go for broke +4/-6 Adren Surge 9 + Roll(2d12)+0: 8,4,+0 Total:12 (21) vs
OV1 + GFB 4 + Roll(2d12)+0: 2,11,+0 Total:13 (18)
+2 (to 11 EV) vs RV1 - 6 CB so RV-5=16 RAPs. Range is 23 APs.

"Ready?" asked Faerie as everyone held hands. Nods.

The team appeared in the valley overlooking the site, sprawling below them and still on high alert! Crouching behind a stone wall Wonder Man turned to Prof Wynde. "Do we teleport straight to that gate thing and get stuck in or do we cause a distraction up here so we're not facing an army like last time? That was pretty disastrous and painful, if I recall."

It was dark by now.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Sep 09 2020, 22:14

ooc: I've never worked this out since I don't know how long terms of enlistments are in the British Army today but Oliver was in the Army for 4-6 years, enlisting at 19, after a year of college and bored with it. So he probably left the Army with the rank of corporal or sergeant or maybe a bit higher, depending on how long his enlistment was. So yeah, having gone back into a war zone and having a real officer with him now, he is going a bit back into NCO mentality.

"Who do you think we should sacrifice for that duty, even if they do manage to get away later" Prof. Wynde asks, "who here is expendable enough that we wouldn't miss them once we are past that door, not knowing what's on the other side? We stick together but ..."

"Ghost Knight? Swordsmith? Can either of you detect magical sources? Everyone who can, check and make sure our magical source is still where it was."

actions - Detect Magic.

ooc: With his sorcery, he might even be able to determine what kind of magic it is.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 09 2020, 23:02

"Who do you think we should sacrifice for that duty, even if they do manage to get away later" Prof. Wynde asks, "who here is expendable enough that we wouldn't miss them once we are past that door, not knowing what's on the other side? We stick together but ..."

"What about me? I'm maybe the toughest out of everyone and best suited to operate on my own, other than you." said Wonder Man. "We need to get the Lore Knights working as a team and relying less on us as a crutch otherwise they'll fall to bits in moments after we leave."

"Ghost Knight? Swordsmith? Can either of you detect magical sources? Everyone who can, check and make sure our magical source is still where it was." asked Prof Wynde.

Ghost Knight frowned. "I can try." He reached a hand out and nodded "Just. I think it's about half a mile away, the limit of my range. I don't how I know it's magic, I just do. Hold on a second..."

"I can see the gate." he says, his eyes white and blank. "This is... hold it together Reggie. A circular gate. The gate is carved with writing. Runes? It's aided with gadgets I don't know anything about. Wires, tremendous power from something that looks like a man size cylinder and pulses with light. Something happens when someone steps through the gate. They are glowing slightly, like the gate leaves something on them. Someone just came through. Agh! Their face! They don't look human, or if they do they are... changed. Tall, thin. There are guards everywhere in dark armour with strange looking guns on their arms. I'm counting up... damn. The guards are all over the place, coming in and out whilst ordinary people unload crates and carry them. Must be... thirty guards in there? And some strange creatures."

He sagged, blinking. "I think I can 'push' the power harder but there is a cost." he admitted.

"Amazing." gushed Faerie.

Wonder Man rolled his eyes and turned to look at the compound. "How about this. Me and Snaga attack the place, smash as much of it up as we can then break off, get them chasing us. Then you get in there, disconnect that gate, smash it, whatever."

Robbie frowned. "That thing that powers the gate. Can it be some kind of reactor? Fusion reactor?"

"A what what?" asked Swordsmith.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next