The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chat about anything else...

4 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Chat about anything else... - Page 2 Empty Re: Chat about anything else...

Post  Admin Mon Jan 16 2012, 01:19

Will watch out for it, nice one Smile

Update Anyman, Frostbite and Silver Sentinel character sheets. As some of you know I had several hard drive deaths last year so everything was... jumbled to say the least! That means I might have missed something off the sheet, so holler if you notice anything.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Jan 15 2012, 02:52

Just finished watching a neat superhero film called Sidekick. Came out in 2005. Computer geek working for a finance company discovers one of his co-workers has powers. He finally convinces him to let him train him and increase his powers and tries to get him become the world's first superhero. But since this is the "real" world of no super powers, things go wrong. A very cool ending! Can't really explain more without giving away lots of things. If you can find it, rent it.

Only name actor in it is Danny Bladwin, the lesser Baldwin brother. But its a great little film.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Aug 27 2011, 10:48

Just before I go out, Dave (E) with regards your fan that does your head in, it's worth taking the time to get a phillips screwdriver out, track down the noisy thing and deattach it (with system off obviously) by either clips/screws then (assuming its well out of warranty) peel off the stickers. If there's a little hole somewhere on it squirt a bit of WD40 in there, just wipe any excess off. You won't hurt your computer with that (hell, I remember tipping a jar of turps onto my old Dragon 32, was literally pouring out the sides. Thought it was a goner. Nope, fired up fine after an hour or three being allowed to dry.) and it should cure the fan. IN my new system the heatsink/fan is quiet at all speeds aside from a peculiar flutter sound that's getting on my nerves a bit. Whetehr its part of the design or just another quirk to WD40 out, I don't know yet, but I'll see how long I can last before taking the darn thing out and sorting it. My guess is later on today... Grrrr....
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Aug 26 2011, 23:33

That photoshopping was better blending than I've done! (I'll put it on my list as 'must try harder')

FINALLY got the new machine sorted out (typing from it now). By 'sorted out' I mean working - I couldn't get Windows 7 to install, no matter what I tried (and I tried everything) until I downloaded another Iso. Turns out my Windows disc AND the ISO file were kaput. Two days of bashing my head against a wall (this computer has been in bits and back together 4 times whilst I scratched my head wondering what I'd not done) and finally sorted. It's worth it (this machine blows the old one out of the water. I plan to overclock it and it's already '7.8' (out of 7.9) on the windows experience thingy, so it should be interesting to see what the overclock adds. Not out of the woods yet - my old power supply has old 'molex' connectors by the dozen - and the new motherboard doesn't use a single one Sad Got 4 hard drives up and running, the other two will have to wait till I get another power supply, but that's only an hours job rather than the marathon I've had getting this thing to work!

Anyway, thanks for your patience, chaps!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Aug 26 2011, 03:38

Try this site. Photoshopped super heroes and villains in WW2.

http://www.novaplanet.com/novaactu/novagaleries/histoire-vraie-faux-h%C3%A9ros-agan-harahap

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Aug 16 2011, 06:40

Admin wrote:Thursday I'll probably be out most of the day (birthday) and Saturday having a 'bit of a do' with family round and what not, but other than that the Battle of Britain will progress daily Smile

That's fine (and happy Birthday to our illustrious DM ;-) I too will be out and about a bit, off to family but they've wireless so hopefully should be able to be on most days.

Hope all goes well for your Birthday, Paul.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Aug 16 2011, 01:50

Thursday I'll probably be out most of the day (birthday) and Saturday having a 'bit of a do' with family round and what not, but other than that the Battle of Britain will progress daily Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Aug 08 2011, 00:28

Chat about anything else... - Page 2 Image4

Rock and the Bat...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Aug 08 2011, 00:23

I remember Sergeant Rock and Easy company, though I'll admit am no expert, and was more into the JLA rather than war comics (though I'm sure he turned up in the crossover that DC used to turn out back in the day. What was it, brave and the Bold? DC Comics Presents? It would have some hero or other transported back in time or something to fight alongside Easy I think.)

Also Rock turns up in 'Batman the Brave and the Bold' cartoon in Season 2 episode 21, with GI Robot (?) I'm becoming an expert on that cartoon series, particularly that episode (my son plays it over... and over.. .and over... *sigh* )
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Aug 07 2011, 23:27

The fate of humanity seemed, all of a sudden, to rest on their shoulders!.

not for the first time eh?

Sounds like a good plan about the flyers SJ, priority number one should always think of others before your self in this case the rescue efforts on the ground. Which reminds me (1,2,3 everybody................)
no one said being a hero was easy

that should be our moto .

You guys probably never read a Sgt Rock comic, which ended their long run in the 80s. he was the top sergeant of Easy Company and their motto was "Nothing is Easy in Easy!"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jul 04 2011, 07:02

[quote="DavidMcMahon"][quote]The flying woman snarled. "We can take them!"

Admin wrote:Anyman, Axis enemy #1 ... Beware what you wish for Smile That said, he has made an almighty nuisance of himself, and in a more visible way than the others, because he gets the Nazis at each other throats, wondering who they can trust...

Pin a medal on him I say ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jul 03 2011, 20:39

DavidMcMahon wrote:
The flying woman snarled. "We can take them!"

The leader turned "Yes, but at what cost? Every moment we delay here... leaves Anyman to run riot in Berlin!"

This just tickles me pink! Every time I'm ready to join the group, I wind up going off on my own as I seem best at it. In doing so, I've become the Boogeyman!!! And it helps I take credit for the actions of the demons who appeared in Berlin! YAWHAH!!!!

Just the way I wanted it. Now all I need is my own radio show.

Announcer in deep grave voice: The man who is anywhere or anyone! Let Evil fear his name! ANYMAN!! The masked hero of England. No one knows his name or where he came from but he stands between us and that would threaten us.
Anyman: I hunt Evil in all its dark places. It had nowhere to hide from ... ANYMAN!!
lol!

Anyman, Axis enemy #1 ... Beware what you wish for Smile That said, he has made an almighty nuisance of himself, and in a more visible way than the others, because he gets the Nazis at each other throats, wondering who they can trust...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Jul 03 2011, 09:02

From another group. Stars and Stripes was a GI magazine published during the WW2 and later.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5zqk1evgccwcajk

Just a little four page pictorial that my dad had. It was a Stars and
Stripes publication from their mobile Unit. No dates on it just showing
what was going on in the front lines. My dad served in a Recon Scout
Unit under Patton during WWII in North Africa and then into Italy for
the Invasion. I don't know where or when he picked this up.

Fred Salter(wolfhound)
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Jul 03 2011, 03:37

The flying woman snarled. "We can take them!"

The leader turned "Yes, but at what cost? Every moment we delay here... leaves Anyman to run riot in Berlin!"

This just tickles me pink! Every time I'm ready to join the group, I wind up going off on my own as I seem best at it. In doing so, I've become the Boogeyman!!! And it helps I take credit for the actions of the demons who appeared in Berlin! YAWHAH!!!!

Just the way I wanted it. Now all I need is my own radio show.

Announcer in deep grave voice: The man who is anywhere or anyone! Let Evil fear his name! ANYMAN!! The masked hero of England. No one knows his name or where he came from but he stands between us and that would threaten us.
Anyman: I hunt Evil in all its dark places. It had nowhere to hide from ... ANYMAN!!
lol!
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jun 30 2011, 14:16

Guillotine obliged Lionheart by producing a communicator and getting in touch with the Vanguards base ship (OOC do we need a name for that? Liberator? The Vanguardian? Big flying saucer thing?).

HMS Pinafore? The HMS Valiant? The Nautilis? clown
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 23 2011, 08:48

Sounds bizarre, but from a place that has an obsession with schoolgirls with big eyes and small mouths, probably about as normal as it gets! I liked Battle of the Planets as a Kid, kind of blew everything else out of the water with regards art in cartoons that I'd seen (with the horrible Filmation stuff reusing scenes over and over again, until He-Man came along and raised their game somewhat). I went into the local RPG/Comic shop with my son the other week (he's starting to get into comics - I don't buy anything for me - would rather buy off Amazon @ half price) and was amazed by the sheer amount of manga stuff on offer. It's baffling to a newcomer, must admit confused
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jun 23 2011, 04:20

Not sure what kind of access you guys have to anime but I am currently watching a freaky weird anime called Hetalia: Axis Powers: Season One. There is a second season of it.

I don't really make a lot of recommendations for anime, well other than you can't go wrong watching Ranma 1/2, Fighting Spirit or Kenichi the Mightiest Disciple, but you might want to try to rent this thing if you can find it. It is hard to describe. It is sort of about World War 2 but instead of fighting action, all the countries are portrayed as handsome young high school boys. Each episode runs about 7 minutes.

It is a sneaky show in the fact it actually throws in some historical information with all its wackiness from the Roman Empire to up about 1956 - maybe later but that is as far as I have gotten into the show.

Italy loves pasta and surrrenders as soon as someone looks cross at him. Japan is shy and doesn't understand the West. Germany is a handsome blonde hair blue eyed boy who can't understand how he keeps getting allied to Italy. England is sandy haired and into magic. France is also blonde and good looking and very weak. America wears glasses and is full of himself. Russia is very placid faced and quiet except he gives off a creepy aura all the time. Etc.

Canada just showed up in the last episode.

Not a show I want to own but weird fun to rent.

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Jun 13 2011, 15:58

Never sure what is available on each side of the Atlantic but if you can find it at a cheap price, probably worth it. Wouldn't spend a lot on it though.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jun 13 2011, 11:34

Even with fibre you have to shell out to get reasonable speed. 10mb was the fastest thing going once upon a time, then 20mb. Now I think Virgin are rolling out 100mb, but I can't justify the cost for what I use...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jun 13 2011, 11:18

Admin wrote:I loved the old cliffhanger serials, not sure they'd stand up so great these days with bits of string and cardboard that goes round and round in a circle to take off. Looked for Monarch of the Moon - US only release by the looks of it? Will continue to scour, might be able to get it cheap from ebay or Amazon...

yeah problem for us here Dave is we don't get netflix and to be honest with out fibre its not worth it. The old copper wires aren't up to the load. I'll take a look on the net anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jun 13 2011, 10:50

I loved the old cliffhanger serials, not sure they'd stand up so great these days with bits of string and cardboard that goes round and round in a circle to take off. Looked for Monarch of the Moon - US only release by the looks of it? Will continue to scour, might be able to get it cheap from ebay or Amazon...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Jun 13 2011, 01:36

MONARCH OF THE MOON

Great little film that I just finished watching off my Netflix Streaming. Was made in 2004. If you can find it, watch it.

It's a parody of the old movie serials with a superhero by the name of Yellow Jacket - yep, two words. The guy can fly and has powers over yellowjackets.

Basic premise is that the Nazi forces, in 1945, are developing all sorts of super-weapons. Weapons beyond the normal technology. Turns out that they are getting advanced weapon designs from extraterrestrials. Sound familiar? cheers

The film is broken up into chapters with cliffhangers, just like the old serials. It is a hoot to watch.

Don't expect a great film but it is a fun film.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Feb 19 2011, 13:56

HI Dave

I remember Garth as a staple part of my diet as my Parents got the Mirror when I was young. I think their have been compilations of his stories, I believe put out by Titan. So you might be able to get the combined strips.

Its interesting his coming back and more so surprising with the resurgence of Supers in film that they hadn't cottoned onto this sooner. Like Doctor who here is a genuine Icon British hero - albeit a now more obscure one than many others who've come to prominence (Doctor Who being the most obvious, along with Dan Dare etc).

Dave I know in the past you had links to serialised British comics, on a website where you could download them. Have you any links to magazines like Bullet, and Starblazer or 2000AD, I loved those alongside the American counterparts but back issues are hard to come by and often in poor quality, compilations are very patchy or non existent. Just thought I'd ask.

Laters

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Feb 19 2011, 05:48

Have no idea who this is but I figure you guys do.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/02/18/comic-hero-garth-returns-to-the-daily-mirror-115875-22930756/

Was he ever put in book form or just stayed in the papers?

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 08 2011, 20:28

DavidMcMahon wrote:
"What if it's the gun that's empowering this guy?" asked Joe, wondering instead if he should fire at the weapon. <<Based on visual information the weapon is powered with an element called 'lunarium'. Based on your previous hosts experience with this rare element, the tiniest of splinters used as ammunition and irradiated with a small catalyst from perhaps the 'Lunarium-X' isotope will 'supercharge' the velocity and penetrative capability of an otherwise mundane weapon. This is conjecture. Without stripping the weapon down, there is no way to truly ascertain its workings. It's possible it may be based on a P'utinarian dsign, which is beyond this units ability to comprehend without a firmware update.>>

You know, I think you just created the Ultrahumans here. I'm slowly catching up today on everyone else's storyline and got to this point. So I see that anyone [civilian, police and secret service] who are hit by fragments of these exploding cars and such might be the next superhumans or their kids in the future. Because there is a good chance that trace amounts of the Lunarian fragments got embedded in those flying fragments and could now slowly be working on those injured folks' metabolism even as we speak.

Like I said, maybe they will gain powers in the future or their children, inheriting the changed DNA will get those powers. Nice little way to explain more powers over the Earth since we know that Lunarium can change humans and give them powers. king

Hadn't thought about that, but yes, that works very nicely for me Smile Nice one Smile Updates tonight (been a rubbish week, much better next week as less hours at work. I suffered a setback when the laptop I thought would serve as my new 'work' computer suffered a meltdown. Quite literally. Too hot to touch and stank of burning plastic. In other words, dead.)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next