The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #3 - Operation Dynamo! Dunkirk group

4 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #3 - Operation Dynamo! Dunkirk group - Page 5 Empty Re: World War II - The Vanguard Issue #3 - Operation Dynamo! Dunkirk group

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jul 14 2011, 07:54

The VANGUARD!
Roll Call:

Frostbite (Team Leader)
Lionheart
Spartan
Boadicea

Admin wrote:Lionheart knelt to examine one of the devices on the dead nazi...'Like an amplifier' confirmed Saladin. 'Think of it as the crossroads section of a web, and every nazi soldier wears one, connecting to the web and increasing its range.'...That meant the main transmitter would be bigger, and close by, rather than these simple 'range extenders'. But what could be big enough to carry a power plant big enough to cause such a powerful wave to emanate?

Regrettably that meant he had a choice, stay with the fight or take it wherever that transmitter was. And where that was, Bentham was likely to be. Although he thought him killed in deep space, Lionheart knew from what he was seeing that couldn't be the case.

Getting to the transmitter would have to wait for Frostbite to return, it wouldn't do to go running off without some back up or someone knowing what was going on. But now he had bigger fish to fry. Even as he got back to his feet, he saw and heard firing from behind, saw the giant robot turning.

"Hmm, time to take things up a notch." He thought to himself as Saladin chipped in, "That is more like it!"

With the giant robot distracted by what was going on at the tail end of the column, Lionheart rose quickly into the air, willing himself up he flew close to the super structure of the robot. He could wast ammo on the machine, but why waste a perfect good machine when they could use it to aid their efforts. Moving swiftly up the side looking for a way into the cockpit of the craft. Using his Psi powers he sought to detect what he could as he went.

OOC:

Ok Lionheart is going to try and get entry into the craft by hook or by crook. Depending on what he finds he may send in Saladin, but I am going to only do so cautiously. As sending him in will end my flight power and possible divide us to make capture more easy.

But my aim is to get in and take over the craft if possible, either to use it to start shooting up the place and then head back to the base to start shooting up there. I'll send out a message to Frostbite to tell him of the change of plan and tell him to regroup everyone to join me, if they've had enough fun mopping up. Assuming of course my plan works.

===========

Meanwhile Frostbite arose at the rear of the column and seeing that Anchor was in trouble, rushed into help. With a mighty effort, he grabbed Anchor and said quickly, "Close your eyes and hold your breath."

OOC: At this point I'll use hero points to make us both intangible and sink into the ground move him away form the combat and up at a safer distance. Before flying back into the fray.

After getting Anchor to one side, making sure he was ok, if a little wide eyed, Frostbite shot off again into the attack. Seeing Sentinel to one side, he shouted, "Go for the tanks whilst I hold these off." With his remaining Grenades he scattered the men like nine pines before falling back to his tried and true energy attack.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #3 - Operation Dynamo! Dunkirk group - Page 5 Empty Re: World War II - The Vanguard Issue #3 - Operation Dynamo! Dunkirk group

Post  smaug Thu Jul 14 2011, 20:08

"Tanks, their my specialty" sentinel responded with a crack of his knuckles.

With both tanks attention on anchor and loading ready to fire Steve leapt on top each thickly armoured vehicles melting the barrels at the ends closed, (OOC: I'll use hero points if needed) melting metal became easier every time for the silver sentinel he could almost smell metal these days.

Steve could here raised voices inside the tanks now, obviously the Nazis had heard him clambing on their tanks.

DINK DINK DINK Steve rapped on the top of the tank with his cool metal clad gautlet "HAY ANYONE INSIDE" Steve announced. Leaping of the Nazi vehicle in a flash and running in the direction of hotshot and anchor in plane view of the tanks occupants.

smaug
Class 4 Hero (Powerful Superhuman)

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jul 15 2011, 10:30

The VANGUARD!
Roll Call:

Frostbite (Team Leader)
Lionheart
Spartan
Boadicea

Lionheart sped over the canopy of trees towards the robot, closing in on it in seconds. The closer he got, however, the stranger he felt until...

"Uhhhh..." he groaned, as the world went dim in front of his eyes! He clattered into the side of the robot, more or less out of control and bounced from its back onto its hip, snagging a hand on a joint join and holding on for all he was worth! What was happening to him?

He felt sick, like a normal person would, and his powers refused to work! It took all his athletic bodies strength just to hold on, because right now a 30' fall to the ground didn't look at all appealing! His saving grace was that everyone had their attention diverted towards Hotshot in the tree and Anchor, both of whom were suffering, but not like Lionheart was!

Why? What? He struggled to clear his thoughts, sweat running down his face as he swung an arm round and clumsily climbed onto the hip joint, gasping for breath! Saladin wasn't in his head - he didn't even have to try and look!

He glanced about, feeling nauseous. Then he looked up, at the main body of the robot. The psychic emitter was in there - inside the robot! The plan was clearly to provide the rank and file soldiers with neural jammers/range extenders and the robot to transmit the enormous pulse of psychic energy that would have the enemy troops keeling over without a shot being fired!

The problem was, Lionhearts natural defences prevented him from being lobotomised, but more or less drained all of his powers to do so!

He took little solace in the fact that another, lesser, mentalist would have had their brain shut down by now! That was small consolation when he threw up down his front! The vomit splattered against the robot, and started running down its metal hide before starting to drip... in seconds it would 'splat, splat' on a Soldiers helmet, then he'd be noticed!

===========

Frostbite sped through the trees towards the battle

"OOOFFFFF!" he cried as he was staggered by a psychic wave washing over him (OOC he takes 7htk 7htc). He flew, out of control, straight into the floor, with Nazi soldiers raining hot lead through his form!

Moments later, he emerged from the ground, ignoring the clanging headache and noise all about. He saw Anchor taking a beating, then sped across to him, ignoring the Nazis all about, grabbed Anchor, and sank back into the floor!

He emerged, having held his breath moments later, and yanked Anchor up with a grunt!

(OOC No Hero point needed in this case)

In the cover of trees, only metres away from confused Nazis, the Vanguardians sagged onto the floor and looked about. The soldiers had seen their prey sink into the floor and vanish! Now they turned their attentions to Hotshot, raining hot lead at him where he tried to hide in the burning tree!

"Can ye bloody warn me when ye're dooin' tha' next time boss?" gasped Anchor "Ah hadnae time tae breath an ah was about tae panic! Thanks fer th' save, but wha's happenin? Somethin' wrong with our powers? Ma brain isn't usin' 'em right! And... ach no. Look!" he hissed. He pointed and Frostbite followed his gaze/gesture to the robot, where he saw Lionheart perched half way up the thing, and looking decidedly worse for wear!

"Him too?" said Anchor. "Ach, ah thought he was th' best o us! We're bloody doomed if we cannae control us powers right!"

Frostbite considered. Without the Frostbots presence inside him it was hard to think straight and figure out just what was happening. It seemed as if a random pulse of psychic energy on a frequency that affected a different part of the brain every time was being emitted from somewhere! If they couldn't get close to their enemy, how could they defeat it?

He figured the Frostbot could... oh no! He looked up at the giant striding robot. If only his 'computer half' was with him! With a touch he could try and take over that thing!

OOC The robot has the psychic emitter inside it - Lionheart figured that out. The bad part is that, so close to it, his brain is overloaded. He is a normal (albeit athletic man) so close to the machine, and stranded half way up the robot! Frostbite has saved Anchor, but Hotshot is coming under fire as well now. The closer you are to the robot, the more likely the pain will intensify when the wave is emitted, and the likelihood that you lose control of your powers increases (imagine becoming solid whilst flying underground!). A tricky situation...

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jul 15 2011, 10:44

Silver Sentinel

Sentinel dashed over to a tank, ignoring the ping of bullets from his metal encased hide. Whatever damage would get through as bruising, he could shrug off, and the bullets stung no more than a fly bouncing off him at speed. A thousand times, admittedly...

He clambered onto the tank, over to the gun, and placed a hand on it.

Weird. He was feeling a headache coming on!

He glanced up at the robot, now pivoting its head to look down on him. Giant arms with large cannons attached were slowly coming to bear.

Sentinel knew he'd be out of there in no time and...

He couldn't move. The barrel had partially melted, but the suit around him had locked solid! What in the...? With all his might he tried to move it, the metal giving slightly but it seemed he was cocooned in the alien metal he used as his main weapon and protection!

He started to fall backwards, and landed on the floor with a thud, hearing footsteps come over, and shouting in German. Then he heard clanking as a machine gun was placed on one of his eye holes!

"NO!" he cried, and the machine gun barrel melted, his suit become pliable again, and he rolled to the side, able to move normally once again! What in the world was going on?

'Your human brain is being attacked! There is some sort of device at work that attacks the neural pathways by flooding them with energy of a specific frequency!'
explained the Dark rasping voice inside.

As bullets pinged from his now pliable hide once again, he stumbled to his feet, then fell face first into the trees, feeling the suit solidify around him again! "Dammit" he hissed. Then he regained his mobility!

He was being chased into the trees by the Nazis now, and tree trunks exploded all about as bullets pinged from his hide into their wood! At any moment he might become solid, like the tin man from wizard of Oz!

OOC Sentinel is off the path, into the trees with half a dozen Nazis filling him full of lead (negligible damage) but the ever present threat of losing his powers again.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jul 15 2011, 10:50

Hotshot

Clinging to a tree, Hotshot was running out of places to hide! He was still alight, but couldn't focus enough on using his powers to guarantee he would be able to fly off! What in the world was happening? Then he saw the robot turn, look at him in the tree, and raise an arm with a cannon pointed at him.

"Now that's just bloody..." he started, then fell from the branch, bounced off another grabbed for all he was worth!

The tree above him exploded into shards when the cannon went off, and he was flung into the air, spiralling, a human ball of fire! He crashed into the undergrowth and rose on unsteady feet, feeling very nauseous...

=========

Lionheart

Lionheart heard something inside the the robot building up, a machine of some kind! Despite feeling sick as a dog he leant in, pressing his head to the metal. Yep, whatever it was... oh no. Another pulse?!?!?

He wondered what it would do to him, being so close to it when it went off!

OOC This isn't a kobayashi maru scenario by the way - there are ways out, but it won't be easy getting to it! A straight up fight with this thing scrambling your brains and turning off your powers (or at least the part of the brain that controls your powers) will only go one way though...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jul 15 2011, 12:06

Hotshot

Admin wrote:OOC This isn't a kobayashi maru scenario by the way - there are ways out, but it won't be easy getting to it! A straight up fight with this thing scrambling your brains and turning off your powers (or at least the part of the brain that controls your powers) will only go one way though...

OOC As I remember the only way to win was to cheat.

====

Lionheart looked up at the device, he had one chance, despite how he felt what choice did he have. His arms felt like lead, but he knew if he could make this count, though he might die, it would be worth it to free his friends.

"Never wanted to live forever and to be honest I've already outlived what I was expected to, anyway." He then threw the grenade, aiming as best as he could given his precarious situation up at the robot, right where the transmitter was housed. Even if he could hit it, given the extreme circumstances they were in, he wasn't sure if something as mundane as a grenade could do anything, but here was hoping.

OOC:

Long shot, so hero points to the max, I'll roll but I want to push the boat out with this one. Lionheart isn't playing the martyr, but isn't expecting in his current state to 'win' just even the odds and stop the transmitter so to help the others.

So however many hero points it takes, here is my roll:1d20=8 Great online rollers are so soulless - just needed a 20 but an online roller just doesn't seem to appreciate the gravity of the roll no matter how much I shout at the screen. Well at least it wasn't a 1. If I use hero points I get to reroll and add it right? (sorry using the rules has been so disjointed I can't remember what I am supposed to be doing nowvdays) IN which case here are three more rolls as I really want this to be the one in a million shot that takes it down.

1d20=3, 1d20=14, 1d20=4 Rubbish but that second roll is better. If I need to roll more, then basically use them. This, as I understand it, is exactly what hero points where made for - right?

Anyway can't wait to see what happens, for that reason I'm holding off on Frostbites actions as to be honest I'm really not sure what to do.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Fri Jul 15 2011, 15:01

OOC: Hmm indeed a tough one.

IC:'I need to get out of this suit, I know they cant damage me in this thing ....well not yet anyway but I need to be mobile so I can get to the others and who knows when this thing is gonna lock up again' the silver sentinel thought to himself whilst running through the trees. He spotted a clearing on his right as he ran past and took a double take.

OOC: My crazy crazy plan is will my suit away (it would be nice if I kept a chest plate or something to resist at least some damage but Im guessing without my powers it'll just weigh me down?) near the clearing so I can fined it later on. Stage 2 is lose the half a dozen nazis chasing me, hopefully my vigour and other powers still remains at least for the next couple of minutes, and get the better of them with my military training (as they are looking for a not so subtle iron clad man) using my metal powers from 3 metres or energy attack to attack from above them in the trees then get in close and die ............er I mean use my strength

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jul 15 2011, 22:55

Lionheart

Weak as a Kitten (well, a normal human), Lionheart leaned back to look up at the robot for some kind of transmitter or aperture in which to throw a grenade. Nothing! This was... wait... there! An angled heat vent. There were dozens of them all over the robots body, shielded from the flat/level or higher angles, but from below? It would take a shot and a half to make a grenade bounce in there!

OOC Lousy rolls by the way. Still...

The Grenade bounced off a vent, then rolled inside the robot, clattering down some heat vent pipe or other before *Whump* there was a muffled explosion!

Whilst it didn't have a catastrophic effect, the Robot appeared to pause, and the noise made from inside with the generator building power ceased completely. Whether it was a permanent development was unsure, but Lionheart was sure of one thing.

He needed to get away from this thing in order to regain his abilities! His mind raced, and he came up with the only possibility he could think of. Lunarium, the miracle element found on the moon, was probably being used here! The Nazis had refined it to the Nth degree and now its true power and diversity could be unleashed on the Allies!

=========

Frostbite
Anchor
Spartan
Boadicea

Frostbites heart leapt as he heard the bushes around him part...

He relaxed as he saw Spartan drag Boadicea's limp form through the undergrowth! The psychic wave had affected everyone differently, but for those whose powers were part of their genetic make up, the effect was near crippling! Glancing back at the robot and the tiny figure stood on its hip, Frostbite wondered how Lionheart was able to stand at all, looking at these two!

Boadicea, conscious but weak, sagged to the floor, looking through the trees. "I can.. only assume that... robot has some kind of super weapon... If Sentinel is affected the same as us... he won't get near enough to melt its skin... and his power might not even work!"

Spartan shrugged "She's smarter than I am. I expect its the truth."

"Quiet!" she hissed. "The Nazis are close! Heat and Cold!" she suggested. "Hotshot warm the robot up... you freeze it Frostbite!"

Anchor interjected. "Yeah, lassie? An' how you expect Hotshot tae do that when he's stuck up a bloody tree getting his..."

He was interrupted as the robot blew the tree apart and Hotshot was sent flying!

"Scratch that." Anchor added, embittered look on his face. "He's probably smeared across the floor. He was an annoying loudmouth but at least he was OUR annoying loudmouth! Ah swear th' Nazis'll pay... if ah can get close wi'out me powers or me brain shuttin' doon!"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jul 15 2011, 23:07

Silver Sentinel

Running through the trees Sentinel willed his suit away. Instantly it sprang off him, and the sounds of distant battle behind him told him he must be around 100m away or more. He glanced over his shoulder - and ducked!

The Nazis chasing him were still in sight, weighed down with gear but able to keep sight of a man running through the woods in Y fronts! Sentinel winced and hopped over sharp stones and branches as he pounded through the woods...

Pausing behind a tree he heard the soldiers catch up and slow as they entered the clearing. Without armour would his powers work? If so would they be at full effectiveness or not?

He used his metal morphing power as a 'field' effect, instantly catching a nearby soldier as he walked through it, and melting his metal gun, buttons on his jacket, belt, so that his trousers fell down... the metal helmet on his head.

And the strange pack and wire frame head set under his helmet melted too, running down his face like wax.

The soldier let out a strange gurgling cry, followed by a thud!

Steve frowned, then risked a look. The soldier was lying on the floor, drooling, eyes vacant and nose bleeding! Had he done that?

"HANDS UP!" barked an accented voice behind him, and Steve near jumped out of his skin! He turned to see three Nazis stood with machine guns pointed right at him! Were they in range of his morphing power? If so, it would be at his absolute limit!

He heard the other two investigate the downed soldier then shout something at the three guarding Steve. One of the three looked angry, raising his gun and pointing it at Steves head!

OOC Seemingly cornered, back to a tree. No one said being a hero would be easy!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Jul 16 2011, 10:29

Lionheart

Admin wrote:He needed to get away from this thing in order to regain his abilities! His mind raced, and he came up with the only possibility he could think of. Lunarium, the miracle element found on the moon, was probably being used here! The Nazis had refined it to the Nth degree and now its true power and diversity could be unleashed on the Allies!

Lionheart was stumped. (OOC: As am I) He thought that the throw, though pitiful had been good and that at this point the robot would stop everyone would be good and they'd win. At least that is how he hoped it would play out, instead he was still here stuck and weak.

If he fell there was a good chance, he'd break something. And even with his powers he might struggle to recover and be at an even greater disadvantage. No if this was the worst the emitter could do, then weak or not he at least could try a second time to disable it. Crawling on his belly, he moved toward the Robot, seeking purchase to get up to the emitter, doggedly trying to finish what he started.

OOC: I know we've had discussion about the 'right' thing to do - you know I thought the players would do this or in this situation if the players do this etc. But even if there isn't a right way, I'm shooting in the breeze here as to what we can do? Out of powers doesn't mean out of options but it seriously curtails them.

Anyway judging by our conversation before I think if Lionheart tried to get down he'd fall and be in a worse situation. So I press forward hoping to try and stop the machine or find another way down, still rungs or something. Oh how the might have fallen!

============

Meanwhile Frostbite looked at the others, the one thing he could do from here was to try and attack with his frost based energy attack. Since the beam hit his mind, it shouldn't be able to effect what he did from a distance.

"I've got a plan..." He said quickly to the others, taking to the air, intangible once again, by means of a roundabout route, so as not to give away their position. Up he sped, higher so he was around what he imagined to be the limit of the Robots control looking for a way to attack from here and using his height as a way to gain an advantage from which to attack, hopefully also drawing attention to himself and not the others.

OOC: ok I want to find a place to attack, using my frost based power I also figure that from above I might be able to find a weaker spot, since attacks would normally be from below. So damaging viewing ports, antenna or other vital systems, anything to help.

If this doesn't look likely I'll also consider grabbing any available heavy objects, like a bolder and taking it up with me to throw it instead. Using that to try and smash or damage the craft, again from above, as momentum and gravity will do the job for me.

I'll let you roll from now on Paul as I don't trust my rolls.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Sat Jul 16 2011, 13:08

OOC: Damn it next time Im going to wear something under my suit just in case. Okay I'll do what I can to take these guys out. I need their uniforms so I can get in close to the other Nazis and take them out (not take them out as in a caddle light dinner or anything) like hose them down with a machine gun ............or one of the tanks then turn it on the giant robot.

IC: Steve tryed lowering their defences by putting his hands up like they orderd that and the added effect of he was standing in front of them in his standerd issuse army breifs. 'God I hope this works' he thought as he closed his eyes to concentrate even more, he reached out with mind and 'felt' their dense helmets, summing up all his power he then tryed to liquefie (OOC: Im guessing I cant crush their helmets like magneto?)them over their faces, encasing their shocked and screaming expressions.

Quickly grabbing one of the solders mp 40 sub machine guns Steve span round and opened fire on the two other Nazis investigating their fallen comrade.

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jul 17 2011, 19:14

Lionheart

OOC Clue was in the phrase 'He needed to get away from this thing in order to regain his abilities!'. I chuckled when I saw you'd written 'oh how the mighty have fallen!' because he'd have to take a leap of faith - and fall off the thing to regain his powers. He is only a few metres from whatever inside the robot is generating the 'brain pulse'. At that range the other Vanguardians would be K'od, but Lionheart has a huge Ego score to protect him, albeit at the cost of being unable to access his other powers - which are all 'mental'/telekinesis based. Away from the generator, he'd regain some of all of his powers, and survive a fall easily Smile

Lionheart struggled to find something to grip on the outside of the robot. The smooth metallic surface didn't feel like an earth based metal, and the fact the thing hadn't blown to smithereens after a grenade had gone off inside it suggested the internals were just as resistant to earth based technology! With a grunt he leapt and caught hold of an armoured ridge, dangling for a moment and huffing with the effort.

Getting nearer to an exhaust vent, he worked up a sweat, trying to ignore the commotion below as the Nazis searched for his friends!

=========

(Translated from German) "Sir! External cameras show someone climbing on the outside of the robot!"

"Impossible!" said the commander. "The neural scrambler should have dissolved their brain at such a range! As you know, even we need high power mind screens and to take anti radiation pills to withstand the pulse generator so close! Without any shielding at all? This can't be right..."

He gaped as he saw Lionheart scrambling towards a heat vent. "Incredible! If I had not seen it with my own eyes... Charge the exterior! Do not kill him though! Whoever this Englishman is, the scientists at the labs will want to know how he is immune to the neural scrambler!"

The Nazis aboard the robot bridge turned to the controls. The brightest and best, even so their handling of the robots was clumsy and took time. The blue skinned alien giving the commands shook his head at their incompetence and flexed the seven fingers on his hands as he saw the Nazis struggle with their paltry five across the vast control panels.

=========

Nearing the vent Lionheart reached. Maybe there was some way to...

Zeeeeeeeeeeacccck!

Everything went black as thousands of volts coursed through the skin of the great metal beast! His last sensation was of tumbling... to his death?

=========

Frostbite soared upwards, instantly drawing fire form the Nazi soldiers on the ground!

He saw Lionheart tumble from the metal beast, limp and falling to his death apparently!

Intangible, he was immune to anything the Nazis threw at him, save that deadly mind ray! From above, he saw the robot was armoured incredibly well - they expected it to be bombed or blasted from the air and Frostbite doubted even his power could make a dent in that things hide! Frustrated at not having access to the Dark Power - at least without consequences, he wondered if a different tack might work. He saw a shimmering heat haze rising from the thing... blocking those heat vents might cause it to overheat... but could his cold overcome that tremendous heat? And he'd be within range of that things weapons - and tangible - whilst doing so!

He looked about. Surely there must be...

He looked at the trees. Weapons he could use all about the thing! Topple not just one tree, but loads of them! If nothing else the weight and bulk of the trees crashing onto the robot would slow it further, allowing him and his men to escape - whilst they still could! He was thankful there'd been no mental 'pulse' though - yet. Perhaps Lionhearts heroic 'last stand' had done something to the thing!

OOC more options for you...

=========

The Nazi soldiers rushed to where the limp figure had fallen...

Several feet before he'd clattered into the ground the Englishman had started glowing... A dozen Nazis surrounded the fallen figure, and sure enough, there seemed to be a glowing 'bubble' around him? One of the soldiers pulled a pistol, put it to the Englishmans head and pulled the trigger!

He was rewarded with a ricochet that spat straight through his helmet and out the back of his head! As the dead soldier fell away, the others watched the man stir. He wasn't dead - far from it!

OOC But he took quite a shock from the robot whilst being de-powered, so he is effectively treated as stunned for the time being, albeit alive and mostly with his powers functioning, even if he is too groggy to use them! When he fell away from the robots body he regained his powers mid fall, lucky for him Smile

A voice rang out from the robot. (OOC in german) "We need his alive! Restrain him and keep him unconscious with the gas pellets!"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jul 17 2011, 19:31

Silver Sentinel

He raised his hands... the Nazis eyed him warily - they had him dead to rights!

Shouting at him in German and pointing at the floor, Steve knew he was dead if they got him down!

So he used his power...

Never had he tried it at such a range, and even then it was only a metre or so beyond what he'd tried, but still...

His nose gushed with blood and spattered down his front as he cried out in pain... but not like the nearest Nazis did when their helmets and neural protective frame skullcaps did! Instantly they fell back, lobotomised, and Steve dived for a gun... He raised it to the other soldiers and pulled the trigger...

CLACK!

It burst open in his hands and threw him back into the bushes as the barrel - melted partially closed - stopped the bullet in its tracks!

The other guards came rushing over, then one kneeled to examine his comrades as the other fired randomly into the undergrowth!

As quickly as he could without causing the foliage to move, Steve shuffled away from the scene, finally after what seemed an age getting to his feet and jogging through the forest again!

His hands were red raw thanks to the backfire, and he was covered in blood, albeit from a nosebleed.

OOC try to get back to the others or ambush the two remaining soldiers that are bound to be looking for Steve? Maybe then he can use the metal on their bodies (helmets, guns, equipment etc) to form up a new suit, unless he doesn't trust his own powers...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jul 17 2011, 22:28

Lionheart

Admin wrote:OOC: Clue was in the phrase 'He needed to get away from this thing in order to regain his abilities!'

Opps missed that totally. To keen to read and post, that and the fact it was tense from this end I can tell you.

==============
Admin wrote:He looked at the trees. Weapons he could use all about the thing! Topple not just one tree, but loads of them! If nothing else the weight and bulk of the trees crashing onto the robot would slow it further, allowing him and his men to escape - whilst they still could! He was thankful there'd been no mental 'pulse' though - yet. Perhaps Lionhearts heroic 'last stand' had done something to the thing!

Frostbite saw what could be a way forward a quick downward glance told him all he needed to know about Lionheart at least for present. Moving swiftly he flew down to where he could see the thing he wanted and set about doing what was necessary to enact his plan.

OOC: I'd never have thought of this I must have admitted. Partly because you're whole talk to Sentinel about uprooting a tree would have made me reconsider the option. I'd thought that what can I do to shift one let alone topple loads. Anyway lets go for the toppling trees option. Save once I've got one going in a line toward the robot I'll move over to another 'line' and start that going and so forth so that around the Robot, as best I can I'm surrounding it with toppled trees that will give it and the men around it something to think about.

Then heading back to round up the team and thinking about investigating that bunker. A command base perhaps.

=========

Admin wrote:A voice rang out from the robot. (OOC in german) "We need his alive! Restrain him and keep him unconscious with the gas pellets!"

Conscious but only to aware of how hard his head pounded Lionheart didn't even bother to get up, he simple let himself concentrate on flying, he knew the sensation was still new to him, since he often was so much more used to running. But he didn't trust his co-ordination so he decided to put all his concentration into simple fly straight up and away from the Robot till he could clear his head sufficient to be of help and not endanger the rest of the team.

OOC: Boring I know, but I'm not going to stick about and get another pounding nor let myself be captured. Any gas they use might have a really strong aspect that will get me into deep trouble so I know the value of retreating and fighting another day.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Sun Jul 17 2011, 22:57

OOC: Damn stupid gun. Im going to resort to low tec just once because I dont trust my powers and if this doesnt work Im going back to the clearing to get my suit back. Im guessing my super strength and vigor will work with out my suit? If so...............

'Way to go steve, yeah it worked.... too bloody well, melted their guns as well.' Steve cursed to himself.
'Plan B operation caveman'.

A few minutes later set up in a large old pine tree Steve readied himself. With a deep breath he lauched a rock just beond his treeTHUMP
Both Nazis came running cocking their machine guns as they ran and the trap was set. Steve hurled two bigger rocks as hard as he could, his felt like his enhanced strength was with him but he wasnt sure until he saw the rocks fine their mark (OOC: Hero points on this one if I have any, got a feeling I'll need them) before the rocks even hit their mark Steve grabbed the sturdy club like stick he had propped up against the branch he was blanced on and launched himself at the two unsuspecting foes

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jul 18 2011, 16:49

Frostbite and Lionheart
Also:
Spartan
Boadicea
Anchor

Deciding to fell trees on the robot, Frostbite looked doubtfully at the things. He was strong but... He nearly slapped himself with his palm. He wasn't alone! Sure, the others were dazed and battered, but more than one of them had superhuman strength! Together, perhaps with a little help from his cold blast to kill the tree off, they'd be able to fell trees at a rate a lumberjack could only dream of!

Lionheart was even stronger... and with Anchor, reckoned to be about the strongest of those present... The biggest problem would be the robot and whatever was inside it that scrambled brains so badly!

Then he saw Lionheart speed straight up - well, not straight exactly. He veered through the tree canopy as shots rang out after him and crashed out to soar high above the forest! The further he got away, the more his head cleared. The electric shock hadn't helped, but his powers were controlled - as all superhuman abilities as far as he knew - by a portion of the brain not normally used by human beings. It was that specific frequency amongst the thousands that robot sent out which was playing havoc with the team! How come the Nazis were immune? Perhaps they had some device that the team could use...

Frostbite soared downwards and around whilst shots rung out in his wake. Thankfully whatever Lionheart had done must have prevented the robot from transmitting another brain pulse! Right now that would really scupper whatever plans he and the others could muster!

Taking the direct route that few others could follow (through rather than around the trees) Frostbite knew he needed to be more like a leader - bark out orders, have them obeyed, use the others as a living extension of his will! Whilst it might seem overwhelming it was clear the two lady PSI agents were incredibly smart and tactically proficient. Even if Frostbite himself didn't have the answers, chances were the others could come up with options for him!

OOC I'm also aware that as a GM I may not explain situations as clearly as I might like/want, and that can affect your decisions, or cause a lot of head scratching, so I'm happy to drop little pointers and clues along the way. Of course, if you don't pick 'em up ... Razz

Back to where Anchor, Spartan, Boadicea and hopefully soon Lionheart were gathered, Frostbite outlined his plan.

"Ach lad, ah shoula bloddy thought o that meself." said Anchor, covered in bruises from the bullets that'd been spat into him. "Too busy moanin' 'bout ma headache an' wonderin' if my body was gonna work properly. At least ma power never gave out completely or ah'd be screwed, ah can tell yae"

He got to his feet, following Frostbite through the forest. The effects of the last pulse were wearing off, so that the team felt more comfortable, albeit with pounding heads. The two PSI agents kept watch. Though possessing low level superhuman strength, it paled compared to Frostbite and Anchor simply was in another league! That said, Boadicea watched from the trees, and did some quick calculations.

"That one." she stated at a tree that seemed to be standing a few feet away from others.

"Eh? Lassie, even ah can see that won't hit a damn thing! An' th' Nazis ah gonna be swarmin' through here when they hear th' noise! We should move closer!" spluttered Anchor.

Spartan shrugged. "Even I see little logic in it. With the noise we'll make, we only have one chance before we need to change positions. At the moment the Nazis know we're out here but they seem to be holding their position. Possibly until that robot is fixed."

Everyone present knew what would happen then. Another pulse... brain splitting headache, and powers going haywire!

Boadicea shrugged in turn. "It's up to you. But that tree. That way." she pointed.

Anchor groaned. "Tha's th' wrong bloody way lassie! An' all it'll do is hit another tree! Ah Frostbite mon, we're wastin' time here!"

The sounds of Nazis moving through the trees accompanied by shouts of "Tommys! Surrender! We will not harm you! You must give up! If you do not..."

Anchor snarled, forgetting the tree and rolling up what was left of his sleeves. "Stuff this! Ah'm gonna go kick th' bloody Nazis behind back tae Germany!"

'Your human brain is weak. I have been shouting myself hoarse for an age at you human!' rasped the Dark Power inside. Strangely enough, it did sound throatier than usual Smile

OOC Options: The tree, seemingly pointing in a random direction or keep moving, away from the robot and around the convoy, come at them from another direction. Maybe knuckle down and take on the Nazis with old fashioned brute force, or use guerilla tactics to hit and run, frustrate them. Lionheart is still absent, but not for long. He, more than anyone else, is more vulnerable to the Brain pulse (thanks to the man who designed it and desperately wants his DNA for their plans!) but he's also more resistant - no one else would be conscious that close to the robot!

Above the trees, Lionheart was half a mile up, looking down. Thankfully with the transmitters/range extenders (he suspected the Nazi soldiers carried or wore such a device - how else could they resist what Lionheart himself was affected by?). The man from the future ran through the possibilities in his head.

Trowers and Bentham would try to stay one step ahead of him and his friends, targeting him because of what they wanted from his DNA. They didn't know about the Vanguards true power - that left even Lionhearts in the shade! The question was - could his friends live long enough to use it? He scanned about, but could see little from up here. Going down there would put him in jeopardy again!

So what was new?

OOC Lionheart will have to look for his friends - it's up to you how he goes about that, either through flying about (takes longer) or use of his mind powers - where there might be some risk...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jul 18 2011, 16:57

Silver Sentinel

He gambled on his powers - some of them at least - still working. Thankfully though he needed his suit to fly and blast energy, Sentinel still had his superhuman strength and endurance - surely enough to take on a few nazis!

Scooping up a rock, he frowned. Nowhere near heavy enough! He tossed it aside, and it landed with a dull THUD! Grinning to himself, Steve figured that his superhuman strength WAS still working, as the rock had felt weightless!

He waited. The Nazis would surely be alert. he had to be more so!

There! He let fly!

CLACK!

The first Nazis head vanished in a crimson spray!

He reached down to scoop up another, hearing a gun cock and a shout... he tossed the rock from a kneeling position, underarm, hoping to somehow put off the second Nazis aim!

OOC Roll of 18 - which absolutely pulverises the Nazi and 7, which hits, just (DC10+WC2+roll of 7=19, 2 accuracy). That said, with damage bonus applied from strength the second Nazi is downed and hospitalised. The first is dead.

The second Nazi cried out as both arms were broken, and he rolled about in agony. Sentinel stood, looked about. No one else about.

OOC Leave the Nazi in agony? Finish him off? Question him? Search him for gear? Head straight back to where the others had been, or be more cautious? How about his suit? Will he run around in underpants all day or grab a Nazi uniform? Maybe he can head back to where the old suit was and reform it, assuming his powers are working? Questions questions...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jul 18 2011, 19:02

Frostbite and Lionheart
Also:
Spartan
Boadicea
Anchor

Admin wrote:OOC Lionheart will have to look for his friends - it's up to you how he goes about that, either through flying about (takes longer) or use of his mind powers - where there might be some risk...

Frostbite looked again at the Psi Ladies, then shrugging his shoulders he said, "As the lady said, Anchor!" With that he blasted the bottom of the tree to weaken it, before coming around to join Anchor in levelling it from the other side in the direction indicated.

OOC: For now we go with this plan, it seems best and I think the ladies have been tactically one step ahead of the game from the beginning. I'm sure glad their on our side.

Meanwhile Lionheart considered his options, getting to the same level as the guards, he could see if those devices they worse could be used to help him and his friends. If the Nazi's get the robot up and working before they were regrouped, it could go from bad to worse.

Flying down once again, feeling somewhat less light headed from the refreshing blast of air, he landed near where he could see some Nazi's searching. Crouching down, he still felt terrible but he made ready to attack.

OOC: Ok know they are resistant to my mind attacks so instead going to do this the old fashioned way, sneak up on them and take one out from behind, get the device off him and see if I can wear it myself before going to for the others, getting the devices and then seeing if I can regroup with the others.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Mon Jul 18 2011, 19:20

Forcing his hand over the Nazis mouth Steve spoke slow, firmly and quietly.

"I can help you, we arent monsters, all I need is a little information nod if you understand"

(OOC: Presuming he does)

"When I remove my hand I want you to tell me everything you know about the gold devices you have thats blocking our abillities, how many troops have them, how to shut them off, everything .............and remember no funny business or you'll look like your friend over there" he said nodding to the nazi with the bloody rock for a face.

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jul 20 2011, 00:08

Frostbite and Lionheart
Also:
Spartan
Boadicea
Anchor

With Anchors' help. moaning and griping about not being able to pound Nazis into mush aside, the tree toppled easily enough after the two superhumans did their utmost to pound it. "There! Now can we get back tae..."

Anchors voice trailed off as the tree fell, striking another, which cracked and fell forwards, crashing into another whilst the first rolled and smashed into another. That cracked, and the weight of it sent it towards the ground, not before striking another which had soldiers scattering from the road! There was a huge CLANG! and another creaking sound... CLANGGG!!!

The group could only see the tumbling of leaves and branches from above, not to mention dust and debris,but the cries of men from the road, as well as the distinct sound of metal smashing, suggested the trees had hit something!

"How did...?" spluttered Anchor. Boadicea shrugged. "Lets go see what we hit!"

The group quietly made its way towards the edge of the trees and saw a smashed tank, and another that had taken evading action - into the good leg of the robot! The automaton was lying at an angle against trees on the other side of the road, arms flailing for purchase whilst the troops scrambled over branches and out from under the trunk!

=========

Lionheart dropped to the Forest floor and moves quickly out from the bushes...

He grabbed the first soldier he could, pulled him into the trees and backhanded him unconscious with a single swipe! (OOC roll of 15, no sweat) As he pulled the soldiers helmet off, then the skull cap with wire trailing to a pack on the mans belt, Lionheart felt desperately uneasy. Bentham had - in part - designed this to stop him. It must have some gold in it somewhere as his body seemed to react to the proximity. Was it wise to put it on his head? That said, what other effects might it have if a man with vast mental powers such as Lionheart were to become 'networked' with the other troops wearing these things?

OOC Frostbite and co can attack the scattered troops/robot, but do Lionhearts move first as that will effect things in a small - or big - way...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jul 20 2011, 00:16

Silver Sentinel

The Nazi soldier writhed in pain, then nodded. "Ach!" he gasped. "The people from the future.. the ones who gave us all these machines... said these devices would be the next great weapon! They said that about the serum that made men move fast, and die of old age minutes later. And of the one that gave them superhuman strength. The subjects kept getting stronger... until their muscles exploded! The Fuhrer... does not see... we are being used as guinea pigs!" His English was pretty good, for which Sentinel was thankful. "These machines... some of the men wanted to take them apart. It is said there is gold in there, wrapped around a piece of glowing moon rock and with things that they say would not be invented for another 100 years! I don't know how this could be, or how they work, but the head set amplifies the wave from the robot. It sends out pulses that cripple people not shielded by the wire skull cap I wear. It is supposed to interfere with the brains of the British Ubermensch, but they have stopped sending pulses out. When they do.. you will be finished!" he gasped. "Now.. you said you would help me?"

Sentinel waited for more answers. "All the troops back there! Around 130 including crews for vehicles. Enough to make a point on a triangle to transmit a brain killing pulse that will drop thousands of troops at once when connected to the other two robots! We need to fix this thing though... it limps... The boxes on their own do nothing. The Robot sends out a pulse wave that is carried by each mans headset to the next and beyond him by 100m or so. That is all I know! Now help me!"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Jul 20 2011, 07:14

Frostbite and Lionheart
Also:
Spartan
Boadicea
Anchor

Admin wrote:OOC Frostbite and co can attack the scattered troops/robot, but do Lionhearts move first as that will effect things in a small - or big - way...

OOC: scary, but since you've emphasised the whole reaction to gold thing, I've decided it would be safer to test this on the others, than on me. At least till we know what happens. I don't want to be Bentham's puppet either.

Lionheart pulled the remaining apparatus off the guard and delicately used his psi powers to scan for the others, making off in that direction as soon as he had located them.

OOC: Assuming I can do this with relative ease, I will get to the others and it will be Frostbite, as team leader who will use the helmet, again I suggest anything that is invented by Bentham stay away from his other creations as it might go badly for us.

Frostbite took a look at Lionheart, who clearly had seen better days. "Here goes nothing, lets hope that we get the benefits and not the backlash." Frostbite was aware that without some way to inhibit the devices, they were little better than the other Nazi's. Besides he needed to regroup with Sentinel, but they were going to be very limited if their powers were going to be inhibited.

Gingerly Frostbite turned on the pack and then placed the device over his head. Feeling, it must be said, slightly ridiculous as the others waited to see what would happen with baited breath.

OOC: Ok here goes nothing.

You know don't know what we are going to do for 10 days whilst you're taking it easy. I bet you do though ;-).

As an aside, I logged onto the site from my laptop yesterday and saw a message from you Paul, I've not been able to find since. About Kindle readers. I'm right there with you on the price of ebooks. I use kindle on my IPod only wish there were more titles on it, because I love reading it. I know the Kindle is cheaper and a friend of mine loves it too. Battery life is great, the contrast is better than previous versions, but I like my ipod screen more (apart from in day light that is ;-(.) But I hear good things, I guess the thing is can you get what you want on that? I see a whole market for out of print books being re released, it cost nothing to store and distribute but will people get with that model, whilst they continue to charge full price for ebooks!

Anyway my friend loves hers, but I'd go see if you can test drive one and if you can get what you want in books on it in the first place.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Wed Jul 20 2011, 15:42

"Put your hands behind your back"

"N-no pleaze you zaid you vere going to help me" the Nazi stammerd

"Mmm looks like closed fractures, you'll be ok" sentinel told the solder as he had some experience in the basics of first aid due to his previous time in the field, placing one hand on the dead nazis helmet and one on the injured nazis arms behind his back then melting the gold device into the mix of fluid metals to finish.

"There, you now have the most expensive splint ever. Your arms really should be elevated and not behind your back but weight might slow your breathing ...........oh and it also restrains you so you dont run off to your little friends" sentinel didnt even know if the scaired solder could understand him but he felt like he should tell him in the attempt to claim him down which was failing miserably as the Nazi was wondering what the hell was going on behind his back.

"Right thats all done" steve said springing to his feet. "Now to stop your pain"

SLLAPP

As steve gave his prisoner a back hander which almost knocked his head clean off his shoulders and knocking the german unconscious.

"Opps maybe a bit hard. Sorry still trying to get to grips with the super strength you know old boy"

---------------------------------------------

A little while later Steve, now dressed like one of the Nazi solders, but with his special suit underneath willed to chest, legs and fore arms but avoiding any joints of his body, emerged from the dence woods. He lowerd the unconscious prisoner in the clearing near a stump and thought to himself 'There, your friends should find you here'. Then he made his way to the noise of battle where he had seen his friends last.

"Of all the goose steping morons I had to kill one with feet smaller than my great aunt Glad" Steve mutterd under his breath

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jul 20 2011, 23:48

Frostbite and Lionheart
Also:
Spartan
Boadicea
Anchor

Deciding against putting the wire frame skull cap on his head, Lionheart concentrated, seeking out the others. That brought on another headache, but one he could bear. Luckily he also 'saw' Frostbite and sped over there, using the cover of the trees. The Nazis were still out there, and once they'd repaired whatever he'd managed to do to the now lopsided robot, they'd be using that brain blaster again! He shuddered at the thought.

Frostbite saw his friend approach after Spartan had looked up and around, stating "We have company" before Lionheart had even come into view! With everyone tense and ready for a fight they breathed a sigh of relief to see their team mate in one piece, though he'd seen better days with bloodshot eyes and a - still trickling - messy nose bleed.

"Good tae see yer laddie" smiled Anchor, his massive wide form clumping over and leaving 3" footprints in the forest floor. "With you back we can take the fight back to th' enemy! Won't be long 'fore they come through yonder trees an' see who toppled th' trees on 'em. Was th' lassie. A beauty AND smart, ta boot." he grinned. "Aye, ye're were right lassie."

Boadicea smiled, but looked at the skull cap.

Frostbite took it, turned to the others and said "Here goes nothing, lets hope that we get the benefits and not the backlash." Frostbite was aware that without some way to inhibit the devices, they were little better than the other Nazi's. Besides he needed to regroup with Sentinel, but they were going to be very limited if their powers were going to be inhibited.

Gingerly Frostbite turned on the pack and then placed the device over his head. Feeling, it must be said, slightly ridiculous as the others waited to see what would happen with baited breath.

There was a strange sensation, and he heard distant voices - lots of them - in German! His headache had cleared instantly, and the wire frame wasn't that uncomfortable to wear either. Other than that, nothing else happened, thankfully, though he 'heard' the Germans in his head. Telepathy? There were too many to pick out right now though - loads of panicked soldiers had reduced any coherent orders or conversation to a jumble of words that seemed to be 'turned down' by the pack automatically, so as not to overwhelm the wearer.

"I think they are regrouping." said Spartan, keeping a lookout towards the road. "Unless we want to take on groups of them, I suggest we keep moving. Perhaps wait further on up the road and plan better, a trap of some kind. We need to find out if the others are alive or dead though."

Anchor nodded "Aye, we've no seen Hotshot or Silver Sentinel lately. Canny lads they are, but both seemed tae take a bit o a kickin' "

Boadicea pondered something, chin in hand, eyes narrowed. "I think Lionheart should put it on." she stated.

Everyone turned in surprise!

Spartan hissed "A dozen or more, heading this way!"

Boadicea shrugged. "Seriously, I think he should."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jul 20 2011, 23:56

Silver Sentinel

Leaving the unconscious soldier behind, Sentinel adjusted the suit under the uniform as best he could, making it as thin and flexible as possible. The danger would come if that ray blasted out again and turned off his powers, locking him in place!

Making his way through the woods he smelled wood burning and could see fires scattered about up ahead. He heard the distant shout of Nazis and knew they'd be searching for him. He came out of the trees, only to come across the prone form of Hotshot, lying in the bushes! He was in a bad way. He'd been shot in the shoulder, through the left arm and left thigh, and was bleeding badly. Rushing over, Sentinel checked his pulse (he wasn't sheathed in flame now) and found him still alive, but unconscious.

Then he heard shouts from somewhere behind him. Troops headed this way! If they found Hotshot like this, it would be a simple matter for them to put a bullet in his head!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next