The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #3 - Operation Dynamo! Dunkirk group

4 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #3 - Operation Dynamo! Dunkirk group Empty World War II - The Vanguard Issue #3 - Operation Dynamo! Dunkirk group

Post  Admin Mon Jun 06 2011, 23:44

The Vanguard - Dunkirk Crew

Having dropped off Anyman and his sabotage crew, Frostbite, Lionheart, Silver Sentinel and the Justiciars have directed the spacecraft they travel in back home, to Bletchley Park and to retrieve the Bow of Wayland, an artefact of great power retrieved by Anyman and Gravity Girl from Germany. The plan is to use the item along with the spacecrafts' psionic emitter, a device used by the nazis to extend their psychics influence across most of Europe, and 'overload' their network, causing a backlash that will shut the Nazis main weapon in outwitting the Allies. Can they do that before the Nazis guide their forces to Anymans location and overwhelm the hero, who struggles to keep the Dark power inside him from influencing his actions?

Frostbite turned to the consoles, and looked up to the Frostbot who answered his question "Minutes Frostbite. We are circumventing the nazi forces that seek to intercept us. The automatic defences of the ship have been primed to to stop any that approach too closely. Their ships will not get close enough to penetrate the hull this time. The metahumans are another matter. Class two and three Metahumans are generally not fast enough to keep up with this vessel, but the Class 4s we have scanned, including the one that boarded, are."

"As to internal defences, we have begun work on programming the computers. Ah, that is, the machines that tell the other machines what to do."
said the robot, remembering he spoke to a man born in the mid teens of the 20th century. "The computers need to be told who to fire and not fire upon. We are arranging that now, and the alien technicians are producing tokens to wear. Those without a token will be gassed, netted, and sliced up with lasers if they attempt to escape." said the robot, matter of fact and without emotion.

Silver Sentinel ran after Lionheart who was already in the lift and reaching for the button to take him to the 4th floor. Opening the case he carried he willed the metal to leap like a living thing to cover his form, all spikes and armoured plates. Lionheart raised an eyebrow and shook his head at the appearance of his colleague. He resisted saying the word 'gimp' and pressed the button, every heartbeat seeming like an hour to wait!

=========

The Nazi heard the voice in his head, paused, and nodded.

He looked about, marvelling at the technology on show, then shook himself from his pause, remembering where he was and what his mission was. A great disturbance in the psychic net, at least two of those they sought, the 'powers' of the allies, and a lot of lesser powers. Those he could handle. For the 'power' he would have to be ready.

He thrust his hands out to the sides and activated his power. He had everything he needed. He looked across at the lift at the far end of the corridor he stood in, some 30m away. His hands crackled. Yes, he was ready...

=========

As Lionheart and Silver Sentinel waited for the lift to arrive, a voice squawked out on the comms channel.

"Who's hogging the lift? Dammit, we need to get up there, kick the Nazis backside!" growled Tank Man.

The door swished open.

The picture on the video link hadn't shown electricity - lightning - playing across the Nazis body! It danced like a living thing, a field of power.

Lionhearts hair stood up on the back of his neck. He glanced about. He was surrounded by danger!

The Nazi called out "What are you waiting for?" and he laughed!

OOC Intiative 6, Good Guys, 3 bad guy. You have 2 frames, then the bad guy gets 5 (he's a class 4 'megahuman', pumped up to the eyeballs on drugs and treatments that have dropped his lifespan to months. Of course, the Nazis won't have told him that...) He is 30m away. Lionheart has a 'bad' feeling about this...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #3 - Operation Dynamo! Dunkirk group Empty Re: World War II - The Vanguard Issue #3 - Operation Dynamo! Dunkirk group

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jun 07 2011, 07:31

Admin wrote:The Nazi called out "What are you waiting for?" and he laughed!
Lionheart has a 'bad' feeling about this...

"You know," Lionheart said in an off hand manor, "I have a bad feeling about this..." And with that he sought to test the amped up human's defences by launching a Psi attack against him.

OOC:

Ok I'll spend 10 points for a x2 multiplier and roll + my ego against him.

1d20+18=26 ok not a great roll, but ok all the same.

so 26 v mega mind (he's bound to have some defences in the Psi dept I'm guessing).

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #3 - Operation Dynamo! Dunkirk group Empty Re: World War II - The Vanguard Issue #3 - Operation Dynamo! Dunkirk group

Post  smaug Tue Jun 07 2011, 13:58

"Oh come on old boy he doesnt look that tough to me" SS said just before mustering alll his plasma energy in one blast and firing full charge at the muscle bound brute

OOC: I know this is proberly a bad idea but very steve jenson, shoot first .........

smaug
Class 4 Hero (Powerful Superhuman)

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 08 2011, 00:14

OOC Range (30m) gives -1 per 4m over normal range (he's 30m away) to each of you. This reduces Lionhearts attack to 23. The bad guy gets ego (11) + roll of 15=26. Attack fails. Lousy rolls haunting you again Dave... Sad

Lionheart thrusts a hand out, sending an energy Lion at his foe. Unfortunately the Lion appears to shrink the further away it gets, until it dissipates completely just short of the Vanguards foe! The man laughs!

'As well he should' says Saladin, inside Lionhearts head. 'That was poor, even by your standards Agent King!'

Seeking to make up for his team mates failure, Silver Sentinel levels both arms and blasts at him!

OOC Roll of 14, +6 +3= 23 -17. 6 accuracy. Multiplied by 5 (max attack power) for 30 damage, 15 points to Htc and 15 to Htk. Then something ... painful... happens...

The Nazi staggered as Silver Sentinels blast struck him.. and suddenly electricity arced from every system in the lift, the roof, the floor, the lights, even jumping twenty feet or so from sockets on the wall to lance into Silver Sentinel! He lights up like a christmas tree, back arched, and there is the distinct smell of singed hair and flesh filling the lift! Only a foot or so away, Lionheart saw the lightning like attack dance around him, as if the electricity were somehow reacting to the attack on the Nazi!

'Interesting.' said Saladin in Lionhearts head. 'Ever hear the phrase, every action has an equal and opposite reaction?'

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #3 - Operation Dynamo! Dunkirk group Mv3hcm

OOC Hmmm. Might need a microscope to see that one. The perils of having huge HTC totals (Silver Sentinel) and a limited screen size... Oh well Rolling Eyes Silver Sentinel has been attacked by the Nazis auto parry for exactly the same amount of damage doled out by the ship itself, seemingly.

=========

On the bridge...

The lights flickered. Frostbite looked about, and called "Report?" Gravity Girl (Emma Steed) frowned, looked over various consoles and shrugged. "Some kind of energy drain. A spike? The ship has enormous reserves to draw on so it's nothing to worry about. Wonder how those two are getting on down there. All visual displays on that floor are down."

=========

The Nazi called out "You are powerful! But I was told to expect someone with a bigger punch than that!" he laughed.

"And besides..." he added, in accented English. "Anything you can do..."

He thrust out his arms...

"I can do better!" His form was instantly transformed into living energy, the details of his costume and facial features lost in a blanket of lightning!

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #3 - Operation Dynamo! Dunkirk group Fa3ntd

OOC He uses 1 action to activate his lightning form, and his last frame to blast a Quick blast at Silver Sentinel... He has the same range issues. Roll of 7 +6 +3 -3=13 miss. His lightning form is activated though.

Electricity dances from every system nearby, jumping to the nazis form. Even so, he misses, sending a shock bolt of electricity slamming into the wall near Silver Sentinel and cursing as it dissipated harmlessly!

OOC Lionheart has 3 frames, Silver Sentinel has 2 frames. There is no combat response available to the auto parry the Nazi has. It makes him very very dangerous indeed.. but there is a way around it Smile

=========

Frostbite looked about as the Bridge was plunged into total darkness!

The ship lurched and shuddered, then suddenly power was restored, and the ship righted itself! Gravity Girl watched the consoles come back to life and shouted "What on Earth was that! that was no 'spike'!"

The blackout had lasted but a second, though now all the readings Gravity Girl had been watching were down. "We just lost 25% of our reserve power, and it's dropping steadily! What's going on? Oh no! Our speed has dropped to compensate for the power loss! Do we speed up, and drain our reserves, or slow to let them build again?"

Despite the advanced technology the ship had to offer, it was best suited to the environment of space! Flying in atmosphere, within the bounds of gravity, would take huge amounts of its stored energy up! "Still, shields are holding. Whatever they are!" she called out, with a shrug.

Spartan stepped up to Frostbite. "Sir? The others have reported. The power loss has left them stranded in the service elevator heading to floor 4!"

A voice squawked over the comm "...the bloody floor through then! I want a piece of that Nazi!" Tank Mans distinctive voice...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Wed Jun 08 2011, 12:46

"Argh ...... dont say it" silver sentinel said to Lionheart from his now crouched postion on the floor still racked with pain " I know I know, I told you so right?"

"Good lord I think this has a short fuse, whats the plan old chap?" Steve added now standing to his feet.

OOC: Throw him in the lift, SS welds it shut then rip the lift out to launch it at a Nazi target, into space or my personal fav make the ship climb into space (if it can) and let him burn up on re-entry

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 08 2011, 15:08

OOC with regards Silver Sentinels actions, are you going to move towards the bad guy, blast him, wait for Lionheart to move etc? The plan - flush the fellow out - seems feasible, but actual practise might be more troublesome!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Wed Jun 08 2011, 15:30

OOC: I dont know quite how it works but 'delay' action to come up with a plan. Running in right now might be suicide. Im going to wait for Lionhearts response. I didnt think getting sparky in the lift would be easy but being a hero never is *cough* cheese lol!

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jun 09 2011, 11:13

OOC: Paul I made the mistake not you mate, I owe you an apology. Somehow I never got a post indicating your reply but I did on Ross', below yours so never looked up the list to see you'd posted before him. Arghh blasted email subscription I could have replied 30 hours ago.

Admin wrote:Electricity dances from every system nearby, jumping to the nazis form. Even so, he misses, sending a shock bolt of electricity slamming into the wall near Silver Sentinel and cursing as it dissipated harmlessly!

Lionheart didn't like the look of what was happening, he was only to aware of how the creature before him might continue to drain the power off from the ship and throw it right back at them. He knew his Psi attacks might get through but what else, had this Nazi up his sleeve.

Concentrating once again, Lionheart moved to a better position and then flung out his Psi attack once again.

OOC: 10 Psi points 1d20+18=33 (that's more like it)

Lionheart blasted at the Nazi a second time trying to wear him down before the man got the better of them.

Meanwhile on the Bridge.

Admin wrote:Spartan stepped up to Frostbite. "Sir? The others have reported. The power loss has left them stranded in the service elevator heading to floor 4!"

A voice squawked over the comm "...the bloody floor through then! I want a piece of that Nazi!" Tank Mans distinctive voice...

"Blast it, Spartan try and get them free. I need to get down there and help the others, Steed stay with the ship we need to keep up our speed as best we can."

As Frostbite was heading for the life, a strange idea occurred to him, he'd begun to notice the subtle changes within himself and at the bidding of his companion, he activated a new power and plummetted through the floor like a stone through water. "Wooooa!" He squawked as he got his Intangibility under control just in time to come through the floor where the others were fighting the Nazi.

OOC:

Ok intangible drop to take up and help out with Blitz Krieger. Given half a chance I'll blast him with energy attacks, full power - time is of the essence, but since I don't know where I'm coming in the Initiative order or how I'm placed I'll let you roll if it comes up before the Krieger gets his frames

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Thu Jun 09 2011, 17:43

"Baa screw it" sentinel said while cracking his knuckles thinking to himself yeah yeah metal conducts electricity but I've got to stop the brute.

"So you can drain the power from the ship can you but can you drain THIS?" the armoured brit watched Lionheart ready his attack and waited until the very second the psi blast was released then charging at the hulking elemental form

OOC: Im going to wait until LH has his attack and hopefully this turkey might be weaked or distracted long enough for SS to go medieval on him

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 09 2011, 18:27

OOC Dave - no prob mate, figured it'd been something you'd not seen. Range issues again (30m away still) mean -3 accuracy to drop LH's attack to 30. Roll of 17+11 Ego=28. 2 points difference, 4 damage (presumably to htc?)

Lionhearts energy Lion mauled the Nazis electrical form, giving the man from the future some satisfaction at last... until thousands of electrical jolts 'attacked' him from the ship! Luckily his force field stopped them - lightning played over it's surface. The Nazi wasn't impressed. "You will.. pay for that!" he hissed.

OOC 1 more frame for LH. Meanwhile. Sentinel charges and tries to deliver a blow to the crackling energy covered form... all the while wearing his metal suit. Ahh. Metal. Electricity. This might sting...

Sentinel sped forwards, flying across the gap between the pair. All about lightning arced and played around, making the air smell. It was as if the ship had come alive under the mans command!

OOC Sentinel can strike (at the end of a charge) next round, having needed 2 frames to reach his foe.

Just then, some 5m to the right of the electrical enemy, Frostbite floated through the ceiling of the level and hovered off the ground, intangible! He looked about, saw that every electrical system was sparking and spitting energy, the lights were flickering wildly and energy jumped from power sockets to the lightning powered nazi!

OOC To turn intangible (1 action) and fly down to floor number 4 from floor 1 takes Frostbites full round. That just leaves Lionheart 1 frame to act. He's still 30m away. Might be an idea to close the gap as the range penalty is killin' ya... You have 2 PSI points left after round 1/5. Lousy rolls and a reasonable roll for the Nazi (as well as that range) have lessened the impact from LH's power. I assumed his forcefield was up. With it up, he can still attack but can't pick anything up (it's an inch thick around his body).

=========

Spartan moved to the lift, applied his strength to open the sealed door, and found it wanting!

Frustrated, he turned, and looked up. "Allow me." said the Frostbot, and it prised the doors open easily! Spartan gave him a tight grin, then dropped from the edge, twisting in the air to catch the lip of the shaft some 5m down, propel himself to the others side where he caught another lip, and continue until he landed with a light 'thud' on the service elevator lift roof. "Calm down in there!" he shouted to the occupants - Justiciars eager to engage in battle. Spartan looked about. "Ah yes. There's a trip switch here. Let me just..." *click* "Arrrgggh!"

He was flattened to the lift roof as it shot upwards towards floor number four, then spat into the air a couple of metres as it came to a sudden halt, slamming back down on the lift roof again! "ouch." he muttered.

OOC Justiciars will be spilling from the service lift on floor four next round.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jun 09 2011, 19:45

Admin wrote:OOC Dave - no prob mate, figured it'd been something you'd not seen. Range issues again (30m away still) mean -3 accuracy to drop LH's attack to 30. Roll of 17+11 Ego=28. 2 points difference, 4 damage (presumably to htc?)

OOC: Paul you missed the first part of my post, I said this earlier, before rolling to attack - "Concentrating once again, Lionheart moved to a better position and then flung out his Psi attack once again." Its just the line before my OOC Psi roll to attack. I was going to move a frames worth closer or there about's for just that reason.

Sorry to be picky.

Thanks

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 09 2011, 20:32

OOC no prob - in that case, he's within 20m and damage up to 10 points Htc. The 'reaction' to the 'action' (the Nazis autoparry) still can't dent LH's Forcefield. Initiative 9 good guys, 4 bad guy. I will assume that Sentinel wants to clobber the guy but I'm asking in case he fancies changing his mind - electricity on his metal costume and all that? Other than that, 3 frames to the good guys, then this guy has his three (he autoparried LH twice last round, taking up two of this rounds frames as well), then you guys get your remainder. The Justiciars and Spartan will act last in the round after the bad guy having just arrived in the lift.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Thu Jun 09 2011, 20:36

OOC: Okay I had a little time to think .......Is there anything near by I could rip off a wall or something so I could move closer and beat him with or hurl (preferably not metal) If not sure charging in is ok (SS always the headstrong stubborn fool), what ever it takes to distract him so Lionheart can do some serious damage and bring him down quickly. hmm metal who knew it would conduct eletricity lol.

In future how powerfull is my ranged metal controling? Would I be able to pull panels off walls and throw them at him for example (I know its range is about 3 metres)or should i just stick to my hands?

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 09 2011, 20:45

OOC Your power effectively breaks down the bonds of metal so that it turns into a cool liquid state, moves within a short distance, and forms basic shapes. Over time you'll become more versed in its use so you can make spiky gimp suits and so on, but more than 3m away and the stuff turns hard, solid, in whatever mess it would be if it were liquid that you'd thrown that had frozen in mid air, if that makes sense.

As for something to pull and throw... well this place has miles of cables for power, communication, systems and so on. There will also be pipes for coolant, air conditioning, water, lubricant, hydraulic fluid for the doors and so on. Silver Sentinel won't know what's in a pipe until he commands it to ooze open, but a bit of trial/error/luck and he may find something useful to use as shampoo for this guy...

There is actually a relatively easy course of action to cause this guy to have a bad day, even though he is as powerful as Lionheart (who could probably mop the floor with the Justiciars on his own - Vanguard would be another matter). Of course, I can't tell you, Wink but if you ask yourselves a few logical questions about what and how this guy is doing, you might get the hint Smile The other alternative is a straight fight...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jun 09 2011, 20:57

Admin wrote:OOC: There is actually a relatively easy course of action to cause this guy to have a bad day, even though he is as powerful as Lionheart, but if you ask yourselves a few logical questions about what and how this guy is doing, you might get the hint Smile The other alternative is a straight fight...

OOC:Oh I hate it when you're being cryptic, it might seem obvious to you mate. I guess all I can think of is either switching off the power so he can't power up or water?

====
Frostbite looking on realised this man was feeding on the ships power, and using it to attack when attacked. "Gravity girl, this is Frostbite, I want you to shut down all power on this level, I think we've found our energy drain."

Frostbite hoped that power could be effectively stopped from flowing here, even if for a moment it meant losing speed to de-power the Nazi and take him down.

OOC: Assuming my guess is correct of course.

Following this Lionheart will move into attack, running at speed, punch and punch etc. Whilst Frostbite will fire at him. All assuming that I'm correct:

Lionheart rolls:1d20=11, 1d20=11

And for Frostbite take a 10 point attack, 1d20=3 'Rolling Eyes' Typical Frostbite form there then!

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Thu Jun 09 2011, 21:13

IC: 'Mmm i wonder if his attacks hurt him too' Spotting a water supply pipe and thinking with his head for 5 minutes and not with his fists Silver sentinel moved closer to the huge nazi, who now bearly resembled a man any more, atemping to dodge any attacks that might be thrown his way.

"RAAH!" roared Silver sentinel, who at 6 foot 3 still looked dwarfed compared to the hulking nazi, pulling the pipe free from the wall and aiming at the intruder showering him a gallons of freezing water before bending the end into a knot

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 09 2011, 21:30

OOC shut down the Nazis power source? Easy eh? Smile

Gravity Girl heard Frostbites voice over the comm after he turned solid to activate a panel on the wall. "Shut down... you found the leak?" She whirled to Frostbot. "There's a leak on level 4. Shut down... shut down ALL non essential systems - we can't risk injury to anyone!"

"The enemy is closing..." reminded Frostbot.

"It'll have to close! Shut down the power!"

Frostbot ran his hands over a panel, nodded to two Lizardmen technicians and they threw three long levers. There was a HHHHUUUUUMMMMmmmmmm... as the power shut down in the ship, aside from the bare minimum of life support and propulsion, which had slowed the ship to a crawl!

"Defence systems are down. ETA of enemy... 30 seconds..."

"Frostbite! You have less than 30 seconds before the Nazis are on us! We are floating defenseless in the air! You need to sort that leak out so we can get out of here!"

=========

Frostbite turned from the panel...

Blitz Krieger was still lighting up the room, but in a vastly diminished fashion! No longer did power arc from every system and dance across metallic surfaces to do his bidding like a living thing!

He looked down at himself, and saw his costume, his skin, through the sheath of lightning as it thinned. "No matter!" he declared. "I can still..."

Lionheart sped in, tossing two terrific punches at the foe!

OOC 11 hits with +3WC,+6DC, 20 total -17=3 accuracy. Add 3 from a punch, to 6, and +26 to each. That's 32htc each punch.

Lionheart connected with a terrific blow that slammed the Nazi against a wall, still within reach of the ultimate future warrior. The lightning leapt from the Nazis body to strike at Lionheart, and he cried out as it danced across his form!

OOC 19 point force field reduces damage to 13 points htc for Lionheart

And then the Nazi was no longer crackling with energy! He looked down at himself, then spluttered "Curse y...OOOF!"

Lionheart connected with another terrific punch, this time denting the metal wall behind the Nazi with an outline of his body!

OOC 32htc. His power comes from electricity. With it? He would have pulverised you eventually. Without it? He just dropped two superhuman classes, more or less!

Silver Sentinel had stopped short of punching a man protected by an intense electrical field. Instead he looked up, gestured, and caused the ceiling to ooze down on top of the foe! Whilst the metal wasn't hot, the structure of a number of pipes was broken down, spilling freezing cold coolant, water, oil, hydraulic fluid and other substances all over their foe!

"Arrrrgggggghhhhhh!" he screamed.

Frostbite saw his chance to freeze the wall beside the Nazi, cursing his hopeless aim after missing his target.

With a gesture Silver Sentinel turned the oozing liquid metal solid! Suddenly the Nazi was trapped in a wax like metal cage, clinging to his skin!

"Vas ist?" he cried out, oil and fluid drenching his skin. He started to move, then slipped, going face first into the deck.

=========

Tank Man and Hotshot burst from the service lift doors into the corridors and made their way to the sounds of battle...

The others - Thunderclap and co. - were following, but Tank Man was determined to get his share of the glory! Hearing the sounds of battle getting closer, he grew, becoming colossal, then cursed after cracking his head on the ceiling! Hotshot laughed out loud as he flew past "Ya dumb galoot!" he hollered. "Tell ya what, you can clean my boots when I've beaten the Nazi..."

Both rounded a corner.

The Nazi, having tried his best to escape, had broken free of the metal strands over his body, but had exhausted himself, flopping like a fish out of water in a pool of oozing liquids! Lionheart had simply stepped up, lifted him from the gunge... "Ha! Now you vill... vait! Vot are you..." SMACK!!! .. then tossed him onto the floor where he'd slid across to Frostbites' feet. With an application of his power Frostbite encased the dazed nazi in ice, whilst Silver Sentinel plugged the various leaks he'd caused - the Lizardman technicians would do the rest.

"What in the ... why didn't you wait for me? I wanted a crack at the Nazi!" spluttered Tank Man, clearly angry. Hotshot swooped up, lighting the area. "yeah, you glory hogs take all the credit!"

Suddenly the alarm blared out! Frostbite ran to the panel... Gravity Girl was already speaking though "The Nazis are here!"

The Vanguard leader turned "Get us out of here!" he yelled. Suddenly the lights hummed into life, the systems reactivated, and the ship lurched forwards as fast as it could! There were a number of bangs on the hull, and the automatic defences started to ring out...

The team looked at one another anxiously. Would the Nazis catch them, and even with the likes of the Vanguard members bolstering the Justiciars, overwhelm them with sheer numbers?

Suddenly Gravity Girls voice rang out "We're distancing them... over the channel... eta Bletchley park, three minutes..."

There was a collective sigh of relief, save from Tank Man "DAMN IT!" he roared. He whirled on Frostbite and the others "Next time, you leave the Nazi to ME! OR ELSE!"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 09 2011, 21:33

OOC our posts crossed Ross, but I hope I interpreted your wishes near enough. Might be something to remember when you're on alien turf with metal corridors and the like - melt the roof to come down on top of the foe then make it solid... Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jun 09 2011, 22:17

Admin wrote:There was a collective sigh of relief, save from Tank Man "DAMN IT!" he roared. He whirled on Frostbite and the others "Next time, you leave the Nazi to ME! OR ELSE!"

Frostbite floated over to the man and looked him right in the eye, then said,

"Or else, what...?" He said slowly and with deliberate menace in his voice as he held Tank Man's gaze, staring unflinchingly into his eyes, daring him to take a shot. If he did, it would be the one and only shot he'd ever get.

Inside Frostbite was absolutely livid, but he controlled his emotions with an iron will, he'd not let anyone get the better of him. Not because of pride or glory, but simply because Tank Man was such a glory hound he had no thought of discipline or of the chain of command and would get them all in trouble if he couldn't toe the line. And it was about time Frostbite made sure he knew it. He didn't want to humiliate the man, but he wasn't about to let the man usurp control by trying to intimidate him or any of the team.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 09 2011, 22:39

Tank Man snarled, fists and muscles bunched, staring Frostbite in the eye. He left the gaze there for a moment, then glanced at Hotshot. Sensing that the situation might escalate beyond his control, Hotshot backed off, hands raised slightly "Hey, I'm itchin' ta get at Nazis, but this guy is the boss. In the field, he calls the shots. Wynn and Forbes said so. You remember that? Heh, you were probably peeling spuds that day too... Anyway..." he landed, powered down, and saluted awkwardly as Thunderclap and the others came on the scene. Tank Man looked at them, back at the unyielding Frostbite, then away. "Yeah, I hear ya." he snarled. "Sir." he added. He shrank back down to normal size and walked over to the iced up Nazi.

"So how come this guy was such a big shot? How come we don't get powers like him when the old man waves his hands and what not... saying that, Jenson over there..." he nodded, referring to Silver Sentinel "Didn't stay in the B-listers for long."

Thunderclap laughed, walked in front of Tank Man. "B-list? Pal, you really don't get it do ya? All them guys out there that die when a bullet hits them, they look at US an' think we're some kind o god! And you, you ungrateful..."

Tank Man started to grow again...

Jock Hanrahan, Anchor, walked over to Frostbite. "Just chuck him in front o the Nazis. They'll surrender rather than listen to his crap. Just wanna say sir, it's gonna be a real privilege to see you all in action. I was havin' a laugh an joke with the old man, and he was sayin' how you an' he met at the power station, y'know, at Battersea, and that he'd follow you into battle any time. Only thing is, he's so old and you're a yank, so I don't understand how, with it only coming into service a few years ago that..."

SMACK!!!

Everyone turned as Tank Man, albeit at normal human size, crashed to the floor and slid several feet. Thunderclap turned around to see everyone looking. "What? Oh, him. He deserved it. Offered me out, said 'no powers'. No problem I weren't the regimental Boxing Champion for nothing. Suppose I should have told him first though..."

Fastback sped up to Frostbite, Sentinel and Lionheart. "GravityGirltoldmetotellyouwe'llbelandingsoon.Wouldyoulookatthisplace?IbetthecanteenstrashedtooandIfancyabitetoeat!" she said, then sped off!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jun 10 2011, 06:58

Admin wrote:Fastback sped up to Frostbite, Sentinel and Lionheart. "GravityGirltoldmetotellyouwe'llbelandingsoon.Wouldyoulookatthisplace?IbetthecanteenstrashedtooandIfancyabitetoeat!" she said, then sped off!

"Ok people shows over, we're not here to site see or give autographs, Fast back you're with me." Taking a moment to look Thunderclap in the eye, Frostbite added,

"And lets remember who were here to fight. We've all got itchy fingers, but lets not hand ourselves black and blue before we've got the front line. Our people are dying out there."

And with that he turned away, nodding to Lionheart and Sentinel, he quickly added,

"Keep an eye on those idiots before one of them breaks the other or the ship!"

Then moving off at speed he headed for the front airlock giving instructions to Fastback to go retrieve the bow, having already signalled ahead to explain what was happening.

Meanwhile Lionheart looked on to the captured Nazi, having first made sure the man was knocked out, he wondered how they should restrain him. Walking over to Tank Man, he offered a hand saying,

"I need a hand taking out the rubbish!" As Lionheart nodded to the captured Nazi.

OOC:
Ok small conceit here, I hope you don't mind me suggesting that we'd already signalled ahead when in range to get the bow and explain what was going on etc. Our plan is for a quick turn around and back off again.

I'm going to suggest a different root, perhaps undersea until we get to France and then emerge to surprise our enemies. I'm also wondering if we should split into three smaller teams, with Lionheart, Frostbite and Sentinel heading them up, that way Ross can be free to start giving orders rather than sitting here listening to me give them ;-).

How would you feel about that Paul, does that make it harder for you or are you ok with that?

In any case as soon as we've got the bow we disrupt network big time, and then use the cover to go and cause as much harm behind the lines with some of us up front work the front of the line as well. Well that's what I've got for starters anyway.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jun 10 2011, 20:22

OOC No problem with any of the suggestions - take a look at the team roster:

Frostbite - Team Leader
Objective: Beach defence and tactical assault group
At all costs: Get soldiers off the beach at Dunkirk and back to Britain!

Lionheart
Silver Sentinel
Gravity Girl
Hothead
Tank Man
Thunderclap
Anchor
Fastback
Sterling Silver
Frostbot
Guillotine, Spartan and Boudicea (PSI agents)

And divide 'em up as you see fit. No problem with the radio ahead or any gap filling stuff - to play by post like you would with tabletop would slow the game right down, so it means we need to make little jumps every now and again to keep things flowing. I'm playing in a Star Trek PbP at the moment and it's like walking through treacle. The main problem with the game is that the Star Trek command structure is military based, with ranks. That means nothing happens without the Captains say so and he's dragging his heels. The advantage with that is that the game doesn't take any of my time up - check in, quick post, check back in 3 days when something might have happened. Or not.

Anyhow, back to the action.

Tank Man rubbed his jaw, slowly getting up until he was offered a hand by Lionheart. He paused, then took it, scowling. "I'll get that chump!" he spat. He looked at the Nazi then asked Lionheart. "Tell me, why are we not throwing this lot out from a great height? You know they would do that to us! This is war! Sure, there are rules, but when one side plays to a different set than everyone else, it makes a mockery of the game. Plus, give me five minutes alone with this guy and I'll get whatever you need to know from him. Heck, I'll have him singing soprano!"

It was clear to Lionheart that Tank Man was a bully and a coward. The selection process had clearly been lacking, and Wynns reluctance to forge ahead, churning out superhuman after superhuman and dealing with the consequences later, was probably justified.

=========

"I suppose I was out of order sir." said Thunderclap as he caught up to Frostbite.

"But that loudmouth had it coming. Strange thing is, though he has a giant size chip on his shoulder and an ego to match, I think he hates the nazis more than he does us. I hope so anyway, otherwise he'll be a liability in the field. Anyway, sorry for smacking him. It won't happen again, and I'll steer clear of him." Thunderclap saluted again, then started helping with the clean up. The fourth floor had been charred and scorched by so much electricity flying about!

=========

Sterling Silver came up to Silver Sentinel "It was a close run thing with the Nazis. Strange thing was, they didn't chase us across the channel!"

"I just wanted to congratulate you by the way Steve." he continued. "You got your powers the same time as the rest of us but for some reason you were 'gifted' and boosted up to the Vanguard ranks. I just wanna say, having read a couple of case files, it's clear the appointment was justified. Hopefully in the coming battle we'll see a few more promoted up the ranks."

Silver Sentinel pondered on that. These people were inexperienced, undisciplined in some cases, and had no ideas of the horrors awaiting them. He wondered if there would be any Justiciars left to promote!

=========

Fastback sped off...

General Wynn looked up from the staff meeting, Slobotham catching his eye and easing his pistol from the holster. Wynn smiled, then shook his head as Forbes continued to give a presentation to the various Army, Navy and Air Force representatives in the room. Each would go from there and send word to their commands that help was on its way!

Wynn put his hand up. "Sorry to interrupt Robert." he said, then looked to the door. "But we have a vis..."

The door opened, and Fastback, looking flushed as she stuff a hastily grabbed cream bun into her mouth, wolfed it down and gasped. "There's an object I need to collect." she said, clearly exhausted from the run and acting at normal speed. Wynn smiled. "Joe radioed ahead. Knowing that the Nazis would want their hands on it, and that there are spies about, I held it with me for safe keeping." He reached down, lifting the stringless bow, and passed it to Fastback. "Guard it with your life lass. Oh, and get some grub, you're shaking."

Dawson looked over. "Now hold on a minute! You can't just..."

Wynn glowered at the Brigadier "You might outrank me Edward, but let's not forget who's show this is! I'm here, as are the Vanguard, by their own good graces! If at any time, we choose to leave because the mess of red tape is too annoying to untangle, who will stop us?" he said, angrily. He paused, then sighed. "Sorry. We're not superhuman bully boys like the Nazis. We won't use our powers to harm our country in any way, and we'll follow the chain of command. It's just that this bow, somehow, will help us disrupt the Nazi psychic network."

Dawson stared at Wynn, then nodded. "Very well. I want it back if at all possible though!"

The representatives from the armed forces looked at one another.

Wynn saw the glance, and cursed himself for a fool before remembering himself. "Go on lass." he said quietly.

Fastback left the room, bow in hand.

=========

Outside, on the lawn, the vast craft had gathered a crowd...

Frostbite looked amongst the gathered army personnel, then saw them part slightly. Suddenly Fastback was there, bow in hand and a basket of food in the other. She handed the bow over without a word and sped off to the cafeteria on board the huge ship. Holding the bow in his hands, Frostbite got the briefest flash, a vision of a warrior running through the snow, being pursued by dark armoured foes! In front of him, an exhausted snaking trail of refuges. The bowman, despite being outnumbered, would not abandon the people in his care, nor would he save himself. He fired, again and again, as the refugees made it across a rope bridge, then turned the bow to shoot through the supporting ropes, causing the bridge to collapse and leaving him on the other side to face a horde of evil. The stunned refugees screamed out for the hero to follow, somehow make his way across a deep crevasse, but all knew he was doomed. As the enemy drew in, he cast the bow into the air, shouted "WAYLAND!" and it disappeared! Then the horde fell on him!

The Vanguardian shuddered. The bow had been carried by many brave men and women over the eons, the last of which was his friend, Anyman. Suddenly a vision of Anyman formed in his mind. He was on a roof, battling Nazi agents in Berlin! The Bow glowed briefly, but the vision remained! Frostbite looked up at one of the upper floors of Bletchley Manor, seeing Wynn/Stormwarden at the window.

'Good luck my friend.' Wynn thought. And Frostbite heard him! Gasping, he glanced about. No one else had heard that.

'The artefact of power has unlocked a part of your human mind that we can access. You will now be able to communicate with your fellow Dark Powered Vanguardians.' said the deep voice inside.

OOC It's true - All Vanguardians can now speak mind to mind with each other at any moment they choose. I will add it to the character sheets as a power. You can also get a brief idea of what they are up to at that moment too.

=========

Back in the air the ship gathered speed, heading for the coast.

"A most unconventional route, to be sure." said the Frostbot. "But one the Nazis will not expect." it added, referring to Frostbites plan of venturing under the sea.

Frostbite, Lionheart, Silver Sentinel and Gravity Girl stood in a room on level 2 of the ship. Frostbite moved away from the comm and turned to the dome like device set on a table, copper wires trailing to a battery pack. The device was used to transmit psychic waves and pass them on, an amplifier for the Nazis incredible psychic network. Lionheart would place a hand on it, hold the bow in the other, and open his mind to the network, presumably to send a psychic 'shout' to deafen those psychics in Berlin. It wouldn't kill them, but it might well dampen or 'deafen' their psychic abilities and remove their advantage over the allies.

The question was, what would that do to Lionheart, as he would be in the network when he sent the shout out, and would be at the loudest point, so to speak?

OOC What indeed? Dave, roll a D20 for LH if you will. Higher is better, and add Ego. Lionheart will take damage from this, it's a case of seeing how much. Feel free to add Hero Points if you wish (hint:It will hurt). Other than that, let me know the team splits and we'll get the teams in separate threads. This was all supposed to be posted this morning but I was ... 'waylaid', so to speak
Rolling Eyes
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jun 10 2011, 21:03

Admin wrote:'Good luck my friend.' Wynn thought. And Frostbite heard him! Gasping, he glanced about. No one else had heard that.

'The artefact of power has unlocked a part of your human mind that we can access. You will now be able to communicate with your fellow Dark Powered Vanguardians.' said the deep voice inside.

Recovering from the shock, Joe thought back, "He who waits also serves, thank old friend, you'll be missed but your handy work lives on in the lives of these Justicars!"
====
OOC:

Admin wrote: What indeed? Dave, roll a D20 for LH if you will. Higher is better, and add Ego. Lionheart will take damage from this, it's a case of seeing how much. Feel free to add Hero Points if you wish (hint:It will hurt). Other than that, let me know the team splits and we'll get the teams in separate threads. This was all supposed to be posted this morning but I was ... 'waylaid', so to speak Rolling Eyes

OK as usual I'm wanting a 20 and I get 1d20+18=26 So I'll add as many hero points as it takes and as many as I can use. I know that this is too important to mess around with and if this is my contribution at this stage, stupid random dice or not, Lionheart is putting heart and soul into this attack because its what he can do alone.

As for teams

team 1 - we'll take the front line, I really want Gravity girl where she can be most effective in bringing hardware down from the sky, so if she is better off with another team, then she can swap out with them:

Frostbite - Team Leader
Gravity Girl
Tank Man
Frostbot
Fastback

Team 2 Behind the lines, disrupting supply causing as much damage and moving on random and regular attacks, bridges, roads train tracks and armour and personal, whatever targets you can find and whatever you can do to give as much damage as possible
Silver Sentinel
Thunderclap
Sterling Silver
Hothead

Team 3 same as team 2, but with where possible slip in and out lots of noise but then gone as quickly as possible. The ghost team.
Lionheart
Guillotine, Spartan and Boudicea (PSI agents)
Anchor

Ok that's me done for now. Unless Ross you have any thoughts about your team, don't feel lumbered at all if you want to swap anyone out let me know otherwise lets run with as is.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Fri Jun 10 2011, 22:20

OOC: Sounds good, I would have gone with tank man too but on second thoughts we might need to be a hard hitting fast team (and hes even less stealthy than me). Guerilla tactics, not necessarily completly destroying targets but hit them as hard as possible to attract jerry then off to the next target making the enemy spread their forces and question where is the attack coming from also how big are our numbers.

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jun 11 2011, 23:44

OOC Ok, we'll go with, say, 4 Hero points to boost Lionhearts score. That's a lot, but then again I went with this mechanic - target is 100% of the Nazi network (seeing as they are dozens strong, some with grade 2 or 3 PSI as their only power). Whatever score Lionheart ends up with (total of all his D20s) reduces the efficiency of the Nazi network BUT he takes HTK and HTC damage from the psychic backlash to the tune of however many points he falls short of 100. Sounds harsh, but a decent roll with the first D20 would've helped enormously. Still, here we go: 10, 3, 17, 16. Total 46, added to 26 giving 72%. Still not bad. Lionheart takes 28Htc and Htk from his current totals (fully healed) as a backlash, and the Nazi network is dropped to 28% efficiency...

Placing a hand on the amplifier, Lionheart glanced at his friends. He could feel the 'thrum' of psychic energy pulse through the ingenious device. With hundreds of these things spread across Europe the Nazis had a map that they could look upon in detail at any time, zooming in to count troop numbers, track movements and identify targets without the enemy knowing! Frostbite handed the bow to Lionheart...

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #3 - Operation Dynamo! Dunkirk group 2a5cc95

As soon as he touched the artefact Lionheart was thrown across the room, clattering against the far wall and sliding down to a seating position, dazed! The others rushed to his aid, and helped him up. The bow was glowing, white hot, the heat given off it making it uncomfortable for anyone to get close! The amplifier, though, was utterly melted, like molten metal oozing from a forge! Gravity Girl whistled. "Well, that's not going to be used any more. Wonder how many are like that?"

Lionheart recovered quickly enough, seeing his glove had been blasted away where he'd held the bow and his other hand singed where he'd touched the amplifier. Seemed that science and sorcery did not mix!

He knew he'd been pretty successful though. How successful, he wasn't sure, but he would need another functioning amplifier to knock out the remainder of the psychic network.

=========

The Berlin Palace...

The Nazi scientists looked on in shocked horror. Dozens of their operatives were slumped on their desks, drooling. There was the smell of charred flesh in the air. The Officer in charge, Colonel Grunheim, marched up. "What in the...? I have been told we are down to roughly 30% coverage? What happened? How on earth did that...?"

On his way out, a huge uniformed Nazi with a bald head stopped and walked over. "The Vanguard, no doubt. They are all we have been told they are and more. We have heard nothing from Blitz Krieger. We must assume they have defeated him."

"What!?!?" spluttered the Colonel. "He was powerful, as powerful as..."

"As me and the others. Yes. But he was a fool. Yes, he could absorb electricity to give him awesome power and speed. It couldn't give him brains though, nor quell his arrogance! This foe threatens everything we fight for! How far does the network range now?"

The Scientists checked, then gulped, before giving their answer. "We have lost the ability to see beyond Germany, and even then, the far reaches are hard to see. We are making preparations to replace the brain dead psychics, but so many..." he shook his head in disbelief. "The wider problem is the machines we installed from Herr Trowers and Bentham. They are undoubtedly destroyed! Plus the rumour about the P'utinarians. If it is true, we will not be able to reinstall new equipment on their vessels. That will take weeks to make and..."

SPLUT!!!

The scientists head disappeared into a red mist, spraying the wall behind. The shocked Colonel looked at the Nazi who'd casually backhanded the scientist into oblivion! "I hate bad news. The man kept throwing it at me like waves. Carry on. Get this place functional as fast as possible. Heil Hitler." stated the Overman, and he marched from the office.

The Colonel looked at the splattered remains then at the big mans back. "Heil Hitler." he said quietly.

=========

With Lionheart recovered and the ship en route to France under the channel, the Vanguard changed their plans...

"These are the revised duty rosters and missions. No arguments. Frostbite is leader of the main assault team. Our job is to tackle the Nazis head on and give them something to shoot at other than our chaps. Team 2, Silver Sentinels, is to make a nuisance of themselves behind the enemy lines. Dangerous work. They won't like that. Team 3, taking out strategic targets. Officers, big guns, giant walking robots, whatever springs to mind."

Hotshot takes a look at the roster, then immediately turns round to complain. "Who drew that up? I should be in the main assault team! I can hit from a distance and set the path in front of the Nazis alight! This is crazy! Team 2 will be surrounded on all sides! We'll be massacred!"

Thunderclap sighed. "Give it a rest ya moaning sod."

Anchor frowned. "I'm hardly the best suited for in and out strikes, but I'll go with the decisions. Hopefully I'll learn something while I'm at it."

Fastback chewed her nails at 100mph before speaking. "WellI'lltrymybestbutasyouknowit'snotgoingtobeeasybecauseevenIcan'tdodgeTHATmanybullets..."

Gravity Girl rolled her eyes. "The selection process REALLY needs to be overhauled. Let's get to it."

OOC Right then, in my next post (tomorrow) I will split the Dunkirk team into three sections. Lionheart and Silver Sentinel get new posts, Frostbite in this one. Any last minutes changes or thoughts in here, then I'll get you lot cracking tomorrow.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum