The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #1 (Crossover Stormwarden, Putty, Frostbite)

5 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #1 (Crossover Stormwarden, Putty, Frostbite) - Page 3 Empty Re: World War II - The Vanguard Issue #1 (Crossover Stormwarden, Putty, Frostbite)

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Dec 03 2010, 22:24

ooc: Further information: History of molecular biology
DNA was first isolated by the Swiss physician Friedrich Miescher who, in 1869, discovered a microscopic substance in the pus of discarded surgical bandages. As it resided in the nuclei of cells, he called it "nuclein".[130] In 1919, Phoebus Levene identified the base, sugar and phosphate nucleotide unit.[131] Levene suggested that DNA consisted of a string of nucleotide units linked together through the phosphate groups. However, Levene thought the chain was short and the bases repeated in a fixed order. In 1937 William Astbury produced the first X-ray diffraction patterns that showed that DNA had a regular structure.[132]

In 1928, Frederick Griffith discovered that traits of the "smooth" form of the Pneumococcus could be transferred to the "rough" form of the same bacteria by mixing killed "smooth" bacteria with the live "rough" form.[133] This system provided the first clear suggestion that DNA carries genetic information—the Avery–MacLeod–McCarty experiment—when Oswald Avery, along with coworkers Colin MacLeod and Maclyn McCarty, identified DNA as the transforming principle in 1943.[134] DNA's role in heredity was confirmed in 1952, when Alfred Hershey and Martha Chase in the Hershey–Chase experiment showed that DNA is the genetic material of the T2 phage.[135]

In 1953, James D. Watson and Francis Crick suggested what is now accepted as the first correct double-helix model of DNA structure in the journal Nature.[5] Their double-helix, molecular model of DNA was then based on a single X-ray diffraction image (labeled as "Photo 51")[136] taken by Rosalind Franklin and Raymond Gosling in May 1952, as well as the information that the DNA bases are paired — also obtained through private communications from Erwin Chargaff in the previous years. Chargaff's rules played a very important role in establishing double-helix configurations for B-DNA as well as A-DNA.

Experimental evidence supporting the Watson and Crick model were published in a series of five articles in the same issue of Nature.[137] Of these, Franklin and Gosling's paper was the first publication of their own X-ray diffraction data and original analysis method that partially supported the Watson and Crick model;[31][138] this issue also contained an article on DNA structure by Maurice Wilkins and two of his colleagues, whose analysis and in vivo B-DNA X-ray patterns also supported the presence in vivo of the double-helical DNA configurations as proposed by Crick and Watson for their double-helix molecular model of DNA in the previous two pages of Nature.[32] In 1962, after Franklin's death, Watson, Crick, and Wilkins jointly received the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine.[139] However, Nobel rules of the time allowed only living recipients, but a vigorous debate continues on who should receive credit for the discovery.[140]

In an influential presentation in 1957, Crick laid out the central dogma of molecular biology, which foretold the relationship between DNA, RNA, and proteins, and articulated the "adaptor hypothesis".[141] Final confirmation of the replication mechanism that was implied by the double-helical structure followed in 1958 through the Meselson–Stahl experiment.[142] Further work by Crick and coworkers showed that the genetic code was based on non-overlapping triplets of bases, called codons, allowing Har Gobind Khorana, Robert W. Holley and Marshall Warren Nirenberg to decipher the genetic code.[143] These findings represent the birth of molecular biology.

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #1 (Crossover Stormwarden, Putty, Frostbite) - Page 3 Empty Re: World War II - The Vanguard Issue #1 (Crossover Stormwarden, Putty, Frostbite)

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Dec 03 2010, 22:36

ANYMAN

"Yeah I know" Lionheart continued, "I can only say it should come back, but I don't know how long it will take." The others are the same, he continued. "As for me, well I can move fast, am athletic and strong. And as you've seen I can do martial arts. I had other powers, but the means for me to access them was left behind. Unlike my friends here, my powers are genetically engineered, so I am what I am, but I've a few surprises still."

Lionheart looked back to the Brigadier, "Right sir, cat got your tongue or is there anything else you want to know?" He finished with a wicked grin and a little flourish as he whipped the now empty teacup onto the desk.

Lt. Lance Allard aka Lt. Anyman just sat there, his mouth open as he heard all these revelations.

"So," he said at last, "you are saying that we all are possessed by other people. People from other places or time? That's why I can change to look like anyone I can think of? So who am I really or who is really inside me and where do I ... he ... he is a he, isn't he? Not a she? Where does he come from?"

ooc: Originally, I had planned on Putty getting his memories back once everyone was together and a big reveal like this was done. But after playing the ACTOR for a bit, I think he might actually try fighting Putty and his memories, just on the basis of no actor likes to be upstaged by another and he felt, until the others showed up, that he would have the lead role in Saving England by being its most notible, though mysterious, hero.

So if possible, please let stretching by the absolute last power Anyman gets, which would be about the time he finally incorporates the two separate beings into his one body.

Give me all those skills I put down for his upgrade first and he will continue being the Dreaded Anyman! The Man Who Could Be Anyone or Anywhere!!!!! Very Happy
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  TDM7 Sat Dec 04 2010, 04:37

He turned to Mrs Van Den Berg. "Ma'am, I understand all this is strange, but thanks to you we have captured one of the enemy. We have a rare insight into what we're up against, rather than blundering in the dark. I would like to ask though.. you're no ordinary lady, I can tell that. Is there anything else you can do?"

"I asked that already." interrupted Dawson.

Forbes growled and waved him off. "In her own words, in her own time Dawson."

"I didn't do anything special to capture the creature," Joanna confessed. "It was one of your agents who did the hard work. He had some special weapon that froze that thing solid while I was busy trying to get away from it."

Since everyone else had been so forthcoming about their special talents, she felt that she had to reveal her newfound abilities as well. Somebody in the group might be able to explain it to her and make all the missing pieces fit together.

Joanna shifted uneasily in her seat. "But I also managed to get away from it once before your agents arrived. I... I can get smaller. Tiny. Like about the size of a doll?" she said, trying to make them understand despite how foolish she must have sounded to these brave men. "It happened so fast that the thing didn't even notice me.. and I was practically standing right beside him!"

She composed herself and continued. "Fortunately, it seems to be controllable, but I didn't have much of a chance to figure it out before your agents showed up and then the creature returned again."

"Oh, I guess that I also know how to fight too," she said, looking at Lionheart since he admitted having that ability as well. "I know that's not really a special ability, but I never had any training. The knowledge just suddenly came to me, like I've been doing it for several years."

"I might also be stronger too," Joanna said quietly. She felt guilty about saying that. Being strong and protective and knowing how to fight was something for the men. Joanna didn't want to make such a bad first impression and have them to think of her as being unladylike.

Now that it was over and all of her secrets were out, she felt relieved. It was also good to know that the other had been hearing voices.

TDM7
Street Level: Hero

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Dec 04 2010, 07:35

Lionheart

ooc: Originally, I had planned on Putty getting his memories back once everyone was together and a big reveal like this was done.

Check, I thought logically Lionheart wouldn't sit their pretending not to know you, when the whole reason for being here wasn't so much to get involved in the war, but stop the process that lead to Hitler winning the war and the world in turn.

Since we've got here, I can now see that this isn't necessarily going to be the case, but knowing who you all are (except for Kylie) he I think he felt he had not choice. It would come out sooner or later and if he had hidden it - it might have made him look like he was keeping things from you all along by keeping quiet! As it is he is being economic with the truth so as to not scare you too much. As I say he will try to answer direct questions so if people wanted to know then so be it.

======

"So," he said at last, "you are saying that we all are possessed by other people. People from other places or time? That's why I can change to look like anyone I can think of? So who am I really or who is really inside me and where do I ... he ... he is a he, isn't he? Not a she? Where does he come from?"

Lionheart looked sideways at the Anyman, gauging what he could of the man who, but short while ago wasn't even human. But then Lionheart knew that this 'man' had lived among the Nazi's until torture or some sort of experimentation had awoken his true identity before. He was no stranger to a double life.

"Oh I wouldn't say that. To be honest what I know of you back then..." He said waving thumbing over his shoulder, "wasn't all that different from what I see now, but I think that you should be prepared for the memories to come back and with them the full range of your powers. To be honest Caldwell, never really gave me a detailed understanding of how it happened, only that it did. And clearly you've all got fragments already beginning to surface."

Then turning back to the Forbes and Dawson, Lionheart ever impetuous said,

"So when does this training begin. I'm happy to go along with things as long as I have direct access to my companion. He must be watched carefully. He has mind powers that can control people and more than enough besides that could keep us busy for weeks on top of the war. But he may yet be useful." Lionheart's voice tailed off, as he wasn't sure himself whether Saladin had turned over a new leaf, was as bad as he was made out to be or was himself just being played.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Dec 04 2010, 22:58

The Vanguard
- Everyone

Dawson glanced at Forbes. "This is... earth changing. What you have told us in this room will, for better or worse, change the course of history as we know it. We hope, for the better. We will have to run tests, take data measurements, at least for..."

Forbes growled "No more than 24 hours. You know this. The Nazis have stolen a march on us. Our intel is old on them. Months. We have no idea what they've really been up to in the time since we got those photographs and reports."

Dawson stood "Now just hold on a minute! These people... all this.. is the find of the century! We can't just send them out there to die, like... like..."

Wynn piped up from where he was sat. "Like common soldiers? Are you saying dying is good enough for them, but you want us wrapped in cotton wool whilst you poke and prod us with needles? Brigadier... sir. May I respectfully suggest you use your 24 hours well and get all the data you can. After that? I intend to do my best to fight the Nazis. A storm is coming, the biggest in history." he turned to the group. "Mrs Van Den Berg, normally I would have suggested you sit this out, ma'am. You're a civilian. Everyone else here either signed up to fight or has some experience of some kind. That said, if you can do the things you say you can do, your worth will be that of a squad or more on your own. Together? I think we can become a symbol of hope and a message to send to the Axis. That we won't lie down, nor surrender, and nothing they send against us will frighten us off. That British - aye, and Americans, though I wish they'd get off their behinds and help us - and... " he looked at Joanna "...Dutch, and every other free nation in the world will fight to their last to stop the Nazis. Because if they win, life won't be worth living. When the hour is darkest, and people are bereft of hope, it's up to us to provide it. We are ranged against a powerful and efficient war machine. Poland has fallen. Who is next? The French have a larger army than ours, but their backbone has always been ... lacking, I find. They have no stomach for the fight. Time will tell."

He stood, and looked about, strode over to the fire, looking into the flames. "And time is something we have very little of. Before long the Germans will turn to Britain. They remember what we did to them 20 odd years ago, and the price we made them pay. Now they want payback. This... Hitler... has made monkeys out of Chamberlain and his French counterpart. 'Peace in our time'? Piece of what? I'll tell you! He wants a piece of what everyone else has as payback for Versailles! They haven't forgotten about the German mark and what we've done to them!" he slammed his hand on the fireplace. "Their 'mark' was worth twenty to the pound in 1913. At one stage it rose to 25 BILLION to the pound! We did this to them! Do not underestimate the depth of hatred they feel for us, and everyone else who added to their collapse. Families on the street, starving, businesses closing, a loaf of bread costing Billions of marks. Then along comes Hitler, with his promises that he will get back what was theirs and more. The German people lapped it up."

"And Chamberlain gave it to them. The Czechs will not soon forget what we gave away on their behalf. And now the Poles. Who is next?" he fell silent for a moment. "Never in human history has a man like this Hitler sprung up. I tell you now, mark my words, and them right well. We few must act as a beacon, a ray of hope and of justice. Believe me, people will need it. There are dark, dark days ahead..."

Forbes nodded. "You always spoke your mind, Wynnie. But... there must be something we can do to make you stand out, to make the free peoples see you and know you are special, worth following, dying for if need be. An armband or..."

"A uniform?" suggested Steed. "Something to make us stand out? Like a target on the battlefield?" she laughed. "We won't last five minutes!"

Slobotham, as answer, marched over to Anyman. "I felt the ground shake when that THING in the corridor thumped this guy. Do you mind, Lieutenant?" he asked. Before Anyman could answer, Slobotham slammed his hardest, most powerful punch at Anymans' chin, then cried out a little, clutching his hand. Anyman had barely moved. "I was boxing champion five years on the trot before I finished in the army. My right hook was legendary! As I thought, it didn't shake this young man, though my pride is plenty shaken!"

"What about bullets?" asked Forbes.

Everyone looked at each other. "Bombs?" He continued...

Dawson spoke up again. "If you wear a special uniform it WILL mark you as a target, but also as a symbol. A rallying point. And it may draw attacks to you, and in doing so save the lives of ten, twenty, a hundred, even a thousand men around you. Food for thought."

Forbes struggled to his feet, helped by Slobotham, clearly suffering from concussion. "24 hours. Testing. Then training. Let's hop to it."

There were no cheers, no clapping of backs, no hip hoorays. The enormity of the task set to those in the room began to sink in.

=========

Elsewhere, a few weeks ago...

OOC translated from German

"Trust me when I say this, without our help all your visions of a pure 'master race' and a thousand year empire will be as dust. You saw what we did to your bodyguards. Now let us help you win this war." said a figure stood in the shadow of the office in Munich. The door half dangled from its hinges. Half a dozen young men and women clad in white stood about. All were beautiful to behold, paragons of physical perfection! In the corridor, a dozen or more slaughtered SS troops lay at odd angles. Adolf Hitler, Hermann Goring, Joseph Goebbels, and Heinrich Himmler stood in silence, wondering who and what these newcomers represented.

With a gesture the man in the suit ordered one of the young men in white to drag forward a terrified soldier. He was utterly pinned by the casual superhuman strength of the man in white. With deliberate slowness the man in the suit pulled a syringe from his inner pocket, then injected the pinned soldier in the neck, pulled the mans luger from his belt, and gestured for the man in white to cast the young soldier to the floor. Dazed, the soldier looked up - into the barrel of his own gun!

BANG!

"Watch..." said the man in the suit.

As the members of Hitlers inner circle looked on, the skin of the soldier turned blue-ish. Around the hole in his forehead the skin turned black, blood ceasing to flow. Then the eyes, yellow now, and feral, flicked open! With a hiss and a snarl, the young soldier, now one of the walking dead, got to his feet and lunged at the man in the suit, only for the man in White to behead the unliving soldier with a messy backhand that sprayed the walls around! The corpse dropped to the ground. "Your soldiers will serve you after death! I will provide ... new weapons... I will provide 'ubermensch' like those who helped me walk straight in here. I will provide the resources of a race of ... beings not from this world. They are unlike us. Their bodies are like ... Putty. Their minds shall be moulded like it too. I require only one thing. The deaths of five individuals. I will provide intelligence on where they might be found. We have... insider knowledge you see..."

Hitler and his cronies looked to one another, then back at the group stood near the doorway. He glanced at the now dead soldier on the floor, the mess on the wall, and the cream of his finest bodyguards lying broken in the corridor.

And he smiled.

=========

Now...

"Your toys are where you said they would be." said the secretive man on the telephone in the red box by the roadside. He looked down the road, to where Bletchley Park manor stood in it's own grounds. "The man you sent to buy them has not returned. I believe he did not have the correct change."

'Dr Carter' placed the phone back on the hook, knowing he had done his job well. He was troubled. He and the others had been frightened of the newcomer, and could sense his power. He'd gone into that place and not come out again. Bullets didn't hurt him, nor did bombs. That suggested only one thing. After everywhere else they'd looked, they'd found whom they were looking for. Now, he had to watch and wait.

He looked at the large stately home, wondering how the mysterious humans had known about the place. Then he looked up, to where his mother ship waited in orbit of the moon. Soon mining would commence on the moon for the precious Lunarium. He was unsure about the deal made between the mysterious party, his own people and these so called 'nazis' but if they held up their part of the bargain he and the other P'utinarians would be able to get back home.

On the other end of the phone, a hand replaced the receiver. In German he spoke. "We have found them. The attempt to nullify them has failed. Inform high command. We must be ready to act..."
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Dec 04 2010, 23:46

The Vanguard
- Hoskyn, Anyman, Lionheart, Mrs Van Den Berg, Captain Steed, Sgt. Major Slobotham

"RIGHT!" bellowed Sgt. Major (reinstated) Slobotham. "Rank... has no meaning here! The 'odd squad' has poked and prodded you, measured what they could and come away scratching their heads! Bully for them! Now, you are mine!" he rasped, grinning in at Lionheart. "Wipe that bloody smirk off your face son before I do it for you!" he shouted, giving Lionheart the full hairdryer treatment.

Hoskyn looked about. He'd missed his date, not been able to call his sister. Now he stood in a field in the middle of nowhere with what looked like an obstacle course - turned up to 11 - in front of them. Peelers, this time in army uniform and aside from immaculate hair and manners, blending in quite nicely, brandished machine guns at strategic points in the course. This was to be the start of their training, conditioning to battle conditions. Despite Dawsons' continued protests about risk to the 'special operatives' Forbes had barked him down, and the pair had gone away feuding. <<The ammunition in those weapons can be regarded as harmless. They are dummy rounds. as observed when you cast your eyes on the boxes near the truck that brought you here. You have nothing to fear.>> said the voice inside Hoskyns head. <<The grenades appear to be live though. This unit recommends caution...>>

Lionheart glanced about. There'd been no word about Saladin, but Dawson assured him he was safe under lock and key. The man had still given no clue as to what he wanted to accomplish in the past, nor why he'd helped Lionheart. Richard King - agent Lionheart - was only alive thanks to his enemies' blood transfusion, but he'd returned the favour several times over. He didn't feel indebted to Saladin in any way, more anxious to know what the man would get up to when he recovered from his extensive injuries.

Anyman glanced at Captain Steed. Her hair was tied up. She wore army fatigues, and made them look like fashion garments whilst the rest of them looked like tramps. He faced front with Slobotham bellowing away. The thrill of what was to come gave him shivers. Whatever buzz he had gotten from treading the boards at a theatre would soon be forgotten - this was the real thing!

Joanna Van Den Berg felt out of place. These others had signed up the conflict, been ready for it! This had been thrust on her, and she felt out of her depth. Or had done, until she'd bent the iron bars in the testing room, and pressed over a quarter of a ton without effort! The scientists had been staggered, and eager to find her - and the others - limits, but had run out of time, despite noisy protests. She looked at the huge wall ahead of her and the others. The assault course looked easy enough. Then she saw the 'soldiers' hosing it down and tossing pig dung at it in handfuls. Thoughts about this being glamorous and exciting were quickly quelled...

Emma Steed rankled inside. At the firing range she'd been frustrated, missing some of the time. However, when angered, she'd finally shot into the bullseye at a target past that which she'd aimed at. Or had she? She wasn't sure, and that annoyed her. Of course, once annoyed she'd flattened a car nearby by increasing its weight and crumpling the metal in on itself. And had to walk back to HQ whilst scientists studied the car. So she'd run. And left her chaperones behind when she broke into a flat out sprint and carried on. For 10 miles. She glanced at Anyman, the bandages and what was underneath them drawing her attention. He'd been a very attractive man, charming, smooth, sophisticated. Shame about the accident, though... "EYES FRONT STEED!" bellowed Slobotham. She glared at the man and listened as he continued ranting.

=========

OOC Ok, how we're going to do this is as follows. Your characters will be trained - hard - over the coming weeks and month or so. Every day will push them to their limits, and they will receive basic training. How to shoot, clean and fix a weapon, basic hand to hand combat, march and jog for miles, also how to live off the land and understand orders. On top of that, you will each have 5 skill points.

Allocate skill points as you see fit to any area of training the army/secret service in the day might give you. For instance if you have trained in French language, you might allocate a skill point or two. In order to effectively understand and use the language, and pass off convincingly as a native of France, I'll roll 1D20 aimed at a target number to equal or exceed it for success depending on the difficulty. Understanding a rural dialect will be tricky (I have trouble sometimes with some Scottish and Geordie accents, for example) and that might be quite tricky, with a difficulty of 15. You get a number of attempts based on how many skill points you have to pull off a task. So if you have skill 2 in French language and culture, I roll a D20 twice hoping to get 15 or more on one of the dice.

Or, instead of doing things that way, I'm happy to go with a D&D style system where you get more skill points (say 15 apiece) to allocate and they act as a bonus to a single die roll to equal or exceed a target number. Am good either way.

Possible skills are:

Parachuting (and landing, more importantly)
Piloting
Rifles (adds +1 to hit and +2 damage on a successful check, and allows field repairs, unjamming etc)
Language and Culture (French, Italian, German etc)
Hand to hand combat (adds +1 to hit and +2 damage on a successful check)
Cryptography and Cypher breaking (including basic secret codes, morse code and military signals)
Disguise
Voice Mimic (I guess Anyman will go for this)
Mechanical Repair
Land vehicle driver (cars, trucks, tanks, motorbikes)
Gymnastics (though not to a superhuman level, more 'circus level')
Sailing (for seaborne craft)
First Aid
Environment Survival (in any terrain, able to forage for food and water, find shelter)
Tactics (for commanding groups of soldiers in battle)
Command (to get the attention of a group and make them follow your orders)
Bluff (used to charm, con, befriend or otherwise get yourself out of a sticky situation. 'These aren't the droids you're looking for' - well, maybe not quite like that...)
Seduction (used to charm the opposite sex)

This is just a few of the possible skills you can learn in the time. For 5-6 weeks your characters will be put through their mental and physical paces, learn in the classroom by day and study by night. They'll have little idea of what is going on in the outside world, and will be guarded/watched like hawks. On most occasions, they'll be kept apart.

The notable exception is General Wynn. If he wants to go into the field as an operative, he can be added to the list above. Otherwise he can act behind the scenes (he's retired, older than everyone else, and to outward appearances, more fit for 'Dads Army', though you wouldn't say that to his face!). I'll wait on Kendal for that. He also has a unique power, and Kendal can interact on missions with the group either with Wynn or with one of the special operatives that he alone is able to produce.

Anyway, that's food for thought. From here, let me know what skills you think you might like for your character and see if you can come up with a battlefield uniform design (using Heromachine or similar?) for the group. Aside from a mask of some kind, the design (or lack thereof) is up to you guys as a group.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Dec 05 2010, 02:18

ANYMAN

This is just a few of the possible skills you can learn in the time. For 5-6 weeks your characters will be put through their mental and physical paces, learn in the classroom by day and study by night. They'll have little idea of what is going on in the outside world, and will be guarded/watched like hawks. On most occasions, they'll be kept apart.

The notable exception is General Wynn. If he wants to go into the field as an operative, he can be added to the list above. Otherwise he can act behind the scenes (he's retired, older than everyone else, and to outward appearances, more fit for 'Dads Army', though you wouldn't say that to his face!). I'll wait on Kendal for that. He also has a unique power, and Kendal can interact on missions with the group either with Wynn or with one of the special operatives that he alone is able to produce.

Anyway, that's food for thought. From here, let me know what skills you think you might like for your character and see if you can come up with a battlefield uniform design (using Heromachine or similar?) for the group. Aside from a mask of some kind, the design (or lack thereof) is up to you guys as a group.

I grabbed four minor skills for my power upgrade originally, listed below.
•Add 1 grade to an existing power (if anyone wants to instead add a skill, they can do this with this option)

•Add a new power at grade 1

I want to add four minor skills: Acting, Vocal Mimicry, Escapology and Locksmithing {Dad always said to have a skill you can fall back on when times get lean.
Was going to take disguise but Shapeshifting says it is actually a more advanced form of disguise.

So for his other 5 training skill points, let's go with:
Cryptography & Cypher - 1pt
Culture & Language - French, German and Italian - 3 pts
Parachuting - 1 pt

As to a battle uniform, hard to say what would look good. Gonna keep the bandaged head regardless of what we do. And I like the fedora, trenchcoat and gloves for Anyman. But out on an actual combat mission instead of a stealth mission ... I'm open for ideas.

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Dec 05 2010, 07:45

OOC over time you will be able to access your other powers. I dare say the skills will be most useful to Anyman next, but will leave that up to you when the time comes. When I have everyones allocation of skills I will knock out a WWII character sheet and we'll go from there, probably back into lone issues for now unless anyone really wants to keep the group together a while longer.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Dec 05 2010, 13:58

Frostbite and Lionheart

Will try and come up with a costume for both characters.

As for skills, do you remember which skill Lionheart got 'stuck' with as in the skill he used last and would this still be accessible to him or should I choose a skill from the list that he got stuck with or are they all off limits now?

As for the other skills (Depending on what he has before hand)

Piloting- 1 point
Language and Culture (French, Italian, German etc) - 1 point
First Aid - 1 point
Environment Survival (in any terrain, able to forage for food and water, find shelter) - 1 point
Bluff (used to charm, con, befriend or otherwise get yourself out of a sticky situation. 'These aren't the droids you're looking for' - well, maybe not quite like that...) - 1 point

And as for Joe/Frostbite 1 point each on...

Rifles (adds +1 to hit and +2 damage on a successful check, and allows field repairs, unjamming etc)
Language and Culture (French, Italian, German etc)
Hand to hand combat (adds +1 to hit and +2 damage on a successful check)
Tactics (for commanding groups of soldiers in battle)
Command (to get the attention of a group and make them follow your orders)

Hope this is ok, since we don't know what we might face, and in Frostbite's case, not much powers, I've opted for a wide spread of skills. Hope this is ok. If you'd prefer us to specialise more then I can reduce the number.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Dec 05 2010, 15:19

OOC will look at the choices in depth when I get back from work, in around 13 hours time (assuming my train isn't cancelled because of snow again) but Lionheart was 'stuck' with Martial arts. It's possible Saladin might have a solution around that, but he's ensconced (think that's the right word to use) in a top security hospital/prison getting treatment... Right, best get to work then...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Dec 06 2010, 09:16

Ok here is my picture of Joe after training but without many of his powers, hence he now carries a gun as a back up for his energy attack and I'd like to suggest some smoke, flash or hand grenades?

What do you think:

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #1 (Crossover Stormwarden, Putty, Frostbite) - Page 3 Frostbiteww2Trainning2

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 06 2010, 13:36

OOC I like the costume (reminds me of Steeplejack - you just love that 'blue' thing don't ya Razz ) but remember which era we are in - spandex, clingy materials of any kind for the most part, will be in short supply or not invented yet. HOWEVER, both Lionheart and Frostbite (from his computer) will have some details on more modern materials (basically just about anything you can get off wiki and a few other websites that list basic - moderate technology) so that's a possibility, as is good old fashioned leather. Just a heads up, but whatever costume you guys want to come up with using materials around in the 1940s (no kevlar till mid-late 60s) is fine by me. If one of the characters had a scientist adv background you could've invented something similar too. I'm also aware Hoskyn is a yank - they tend to be somewhat less restrained and less understated that us stuffy Brits Razz Capes and all that... So Frostbite could go mad, for example, and Lionheart go for something like:

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #1 (Crossover Stormwarden, Putty, Frostbite) - Page 3 2vl5w9i

With just a small helmet/mask (easy to swap out for a standard one) and a badge of recognition/rank on his lapel (easy to tuck back up and cover). It has the look of an American uniform, so the jacket could easily be swapped for the traditional 'half mast' British army jacket covered in pockets etc. Let's face it, back then the Americans had style. We had... ah, a traditional 'Dunkirk' fighting spirit (in other words putting a brave face on getting our backsides kicked) and a distinct lack of style :S It was enough though Very Happy

However, with all that said this is entirely up to you guys - I wanted something to post on the front page of the site as a team image (converted to greyscale with the Vanguard logo, whatever it is, in colour)

Also, with three characters preferences for skills in, I'm ready to start up your solo threads again. TDM7, Kendal, I'm ready to go when you are Smile Both Dave/David watch for updates in your solo threads over next day or so please Smile

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Dec 06 2010, 13:40

Ready when you are.
Anyman

I also stuck my idea of a group uniform over in the OOC section. It's more of a 60s paramilitary/spy organization uniform.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 06 2010, 13:43

OOC with regards equipment I'm happy to go with what you suggest might have been around in a science fiction style setting back then. I will be introducing rayguns and rocketpacks (sounds like a title for a pulpy two fisted rpg) and things like those nutty Nitrogen grenades (which go off in your hand if you're not careful) and tranquilliser guns (nutty because everyone else will be shooting real bullets whilst you shoot extra strength horse KO serum) are fine, along with lightweight grapple hooks, nunchucks and other exotic weapons (maybe a staff that separates into nunchucks and doubles as a grapple hook with pop out hooks, allowing a rope to be attached to the bottom, with a first aid kit tucked in one end and a one shot pistol in the other). Early James Bond film tech sort of thing. The boffins will go barmy and have you testing their exploding chickens, 'marble bombs' (with ball bearings that burst out to take out groups) and knockout gas cannisters. The wacky the suggestions, the more potentially lethal to the user of course...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 06 2010, 13:45

DavidMcMahon wrote:Ready when you are.
Anyman

I also stuck my idea of a group uniform over in the OOC section. It's more of a 60s paramilitary/spy organization uniform.

I tried to get that version of heromachine up this morning (after a 14 hours shift - damn those 'fuel tanker trains with their sparks and flames coming out the side' delaying me. Whilst outside the temperature dropped to around -15...) but it wasn't having it. Will try again and put together the costume you describe.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Dec 06 2010, 14:24

I could make the costume but when I tried saving it as a JPG, it wouldn't load. Nor could I get a screen capture. Hopefully you have better luck than I did.

Unfortunately, out of the five or so Heromaker choices you can try building from, its the only one with the beret. I really really like the idea of us having berets!

I was so disappointed that both Heromaker Zombies and Heromaker Pin Up Girl didn't have berets. pig
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Dec 06 2010, 14:48

Ok I did this for Lionheart

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #1 (Crossover Stormwarden, Putty, Frostbite) - Page 3 Lionhearrtww2

or this

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #1 (Crossover Stormwarden, Putty, Frostbite) - Page 3 AlternateLionheartww2

And now alternate Frostbite in keeping with more ww2 theme :
World War II - The Vanguard Issue #1 (Crossover Stormwarden, Putty, Frostbite) - Page 3 AlternativeFrostbiteww2

But I can go with what you want. I am using the newer version of HM3 its only in alpha but the images are so much better, but the choices are somewhat limited. I was going for the idea that Joe at least is aware of his family so wanted to distance himself from them by wearing more of a mask.

Also Frostbite owes a lot of his appearance to his chestplate and frosted skin, so at present without a costume he doesn't look all that different. So us being symbols and all that I wanted to go for something flashy. Lionheart more so than even Frostbite. But hey you can change it if you like.

For Lionheart I wanted tight so he could do his acrobatics, speed etc and not have stuff getting in the way. But yeah I go with leathers and stuff - a la Xmen movie, except brown. But I can't get HM3 to do stuff like that.

And besides who says nothings skin tight - both Batman and Superman had skin tight costumes and this was before WW2!

I'm not planning on going back to change these (takes too long) so lets just say it looks like these.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 06 2010, 16:14

OOC I love the first costume - conjures up images of 'golden age' bright flashy superheroes. He'll stick out like a sore thumb on a brown battlefield but he was never the shrinking violet type anyway Smile The last one of Frostbite has the feel of a British superhero from the 70s - Leopard of Lime Street and so on. Looks like HM3 will be good when it's finished. I think I tried it but couldn't get on with it. Shame the spanish language DC animation fabrica de herois site went all spanish (unless someone knows different). Can't get that to work at all now, though if I could read spanish I could probably find out why...

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #1 (Crossover Stormwarden, Putty, Frostbite) - Page 3 71jtjq

Those are the ones I mean.

Last edited by Admin on Mon Dec 06 2010, 16:16; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : saying that, just noticed Lionheart has no ears. EH? etc :))
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Dec 06 2010, 17:00

[quote="Admin"]OOC I love the first costume - conjures up images of 'golden age' bright flashy superheroes. He'll stick out like a sore thumb on a brown battlefield but he was never the shrinking violet type anyway Smile The last one of Frostbite has the feel of a British superhero from the 70s - Leopard of Lime Street and so on.

Great stuff, glad this time I had the time to get these turned out as it gave me the chance to get to grips with HM3 which I've needed to do for a while as it is a great prog just needs more work and more choices but the art is great as are the effects it can pull off now.

Anyway will keep an eye out for the solo threads.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 06 2010, 17:31

OOC should have done all this discussion in the OOC section rather than hijack the game thread, but it's not really a problem. Just need to add a few bits of equipment. By the way I'm assigning base stats of 12, 12, 12 and 10 to everyone. When your old personality totally asserts itself, you get your old stats back. These are 'enhanced' because ordinary people would have 6-10 at most if I recall in this game, but unless you have a super power like strength or vigour, you won't have higher than these. Anyone with strength grade 1 gets +18 from that, so Kitten and Putty. Steed got +10 from her vigour so she's one tough cookie, if not exactly bulletproof.

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #1 (Crossover Stormwarden, Putty, Frostbite) - Page 3 Jrxrvn

Just need to add equipment for Frostbite. Once I can suss out what Anyman looks like I'll knock the sheet out for him, same for Kitten and Stormwarden. I chose German language for Frostys training. Each language would take up a point. At level 1 (one point) you're at 'tourist level' which is far better than most non germans back then, but some way short of being totally convincing! Expect puzzled looks from German Soldiers when you ask to be admitted into the secret meeting chamber and it comes out like 'my goat wears suspenders' or some such... In the process of doing Lionheart (shouldn't take long) and will then get started on Anyman and Kitten. Expect game threads to be updated in your own issues in the next 24 hours.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Dec 06 2010, 22:15

Once I can suss out what Anyman looks like I'll knock the sheet out for him,

Anyman looks just like my brand new head bandaged avatar.

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  TDM7 Tue Dec 07 2010, 02:08

OOC: To be fair, most of these skills will reflect her background knowledge rather than her quick military training.
-Languages: English, German (2) They came to her pretty easily tapping into Kylie's knowledge set
-First Aid (1) Since she had nursing training
-Mechanical Repair (1) Could be from the military, could be from assisting with repairing the machinery in her late husband's shoe factory
-Rifles (1) Because she has to get something out of her military training and wants to keep up with the guys.

TDM7

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 07 2010, 16:13

OOC best laid plans and all that *sigh* run out of time today, quite literally had my hands full but will post when I get in around 0400 in the morning, so you'll at least have something to wake up to. I'll try to make the posts interesting enough that you won't instantly fall back to sleep! 7 days off from tomorrow too. Not exactly free to do as I like (plastering, shopping, dropping off presents and junk etc) but certainly should be better than my post rate of last few days. Thanks, as ever, for your patience and watch for your individual threads. As for what's been happening whilst your characters are in training...

Following the German invasion of Poland on 1 September 1939 the British Expeditionary Force was sent to the Franco-Belgian border in mid September 1939. The BEF had been formed earlier in 1938 as a response to signs that war in Europe was likely.

The First deployment was completed by 11 October 1939 at which point 158,000 men had been transported to France. The "War Secretary" Leslie Hore-Belisha said "158,000 had been transported across the Channel within five weeks of the commencement of the present war. Convoys had averaged three each night and the B.E.F. had been transported intact without a single casualty to any of its personnel." There were immense pressures to produce the equipment necessary which led to a severe ramping up of output. Clothing items were one example of this with items such as greatcoats and boots being produced at up to 50 times the normal peacetime rates. 25 years of greatcoats were produced in 6 months and 18 months of army boots were turned out in one week.

By 19 October the BEF had received 25,000 vehicles to complete the first deployment. The majority of the troops were stationed along the Franco-Belgian border and along the Maginot Line. Belgium and The Netherlands were neutral countries at this point and so no troops were sent to either of them. For those troops along the Maginot line the inactivity and an undue reliance on the fortifications, which it was believed would provide an unbreakable defence, led to "Tommy Rot" – as portrayed by the song "Imagine me on the Maginot Line". Morale was high amongst the British troops but the small-scale actions of the Germans by 9 May had led many into assuming that there would not be much chance of a full scale German attack in that area.

The time from September 39 to May 40 was often to referred to as 'The Phoney War'

The Phoney War was a phase early in World War II—in the months following Britain's declaration of war on Germany (shortly after the German invasion of Poland) in September 1939 and preceding the Battle of France in May 1940—that was marked by a lack of major military operations in Continental Europe. The various European powers had declared war on one another but neither side had committed to launching a significant attack, and there was relatively little fighting on the ground, notwithstanding the terms of the Anglo-Polish military alliance and the Franco-Polish military alliance, which obliged the United Kingdom and France to assist Poland.

The period was also called at the time, the Twilight War by Winston Churchill, der Sitzkrieg in German ("the sitting war": a play on the word Blitzkrieg), the Bore War (a play on the Boer War), the Polish dziwna wojna ("strange war"), and the French drôle de guerre ("laughable war").

That's what happened in history.

The Vanguard, and the insidious enemy it faces, will rewrite that. The consequences of their actions will reverberate through time...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 08 2010, 03:56

TDM7 wrote:OOC: To be fair, most of these skills will reflect her background knowledge rather than her quick military training.
-Languages: English, German (2) They came to her pretty easily tapping into Kylie's knowledge set
-First Aid (1) Since she had nursing training
-Mechanical Repair (1) Could be from the military, could be from assisting with repairing the machinery in her late husband's shoe factory
-Rifles (1) Because she has to get something out of her military training and wants to keep up with the guys.

Feel free to pick another language than English - though Dutch would be Joannas native tongue, English would be a close second due to the presence of Kylie inside her and learning it at school as a youngster, along with living in England.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 09 2010, 01:11

Note for Kendal/Stormwarden

General Wynn is a unique case - viewed as being 'too old' for active service he is nonetheless free to offer his services anyway for field work or for behind the scenes planning and recruitment. About that - with his age being so much more than the others he can gain his full repertoire of powers but using the Dark Power is a no-no. His body would explode (whether that would actually be fatal is another question entirely. Nowhere Man has seemingly returned from the afterlife in a different body a number of times. Up to you if you want to try that, mind!) However, he has a unique ability to make up for it. He can give out portions of his dark power to others. To him, he views potential candidates as jigsaws, and simply fills in the gaps with his dark power. In actual fact he joins genetic strands and grants superhuman powers in a mysterious way. At any point, he can remove those powers or interact with the user, through a limited form of telepathy, no maximum range. In some cases he can try to wrest control of that person too, with an Ego vs Ego battle (Wynns ego is 14, he's a tough old coot, mentally. His other stats are 11 Str, 9 Dex and 12 vigour). If he does that it uses ALL of Wynns frames. If he does anything else, he loses control.

At the moment Captain Emma Steed is the only recipient of Wynns powers. She has Precision, Mass Variation:Other and Vigour. Her ego is 10, as are her other stats. (Vigour is 20 including the upgrade)

To see if someone is suitable, the target number is their age+vigour (or ego, whichever is higher) or more on 1D20 + Wynns ego. If Wynn rolls a 20 or matches his ego score, he rolls again and adds the next roll to the total (and same again, 20 or roll 14, adds a die and rolls again). If Wynn equals or exceeds the target number, he can roll three powers for the recipient. So long as they aren't too crazy (cybernetics would be dropped) and can be reasonably rationalised, they can be kept but odd powers should be dropped otherwise. If Wynn doubles the target number the target gets 6 power rolls. If he triples it, they get 9 and so on. I can't see that happening but you never know - the dice are odd beasts sometimes.

Note that it would be easy to hand powers to young, growing children. The ethics and right/wrongs of doing so (not to mention their low stats) would make that a dangerous practise though, especially as the Dark power is fickle. It may (every now and again) attempt to wrest control of the empowered individual. In other words, Ms Steed, watch out...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next